Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to Bob Lofstett's podcast. My guest today is Charlie Eleman of Spotify. He's the VP Global Head of Music Product. What is that in English?
Speaker 2: Charlick English? Yeah, nice to be here, Bob. Head of Music Product means I look after our end to end music offering, mostly you know, in terms of our services to labels and publishers, artists and songwriters, So all the tools that they use to get their music on Spotify, promote their music, manage their their profiles, and our overall policies of running the music vertical for Spotify.
Speaker 1: Okay, what involving music does not come under your purview?
Speaker 2: Well, so David Kafer and I run the music vertical together. He manages things like license and sing and artists relations. I manage more of the product side, and together we co lead the music vertical at Spotify.
Speaker 1: Okay, who would be overseeing the people who create playlists? Yeah?
Speaker 2: The editorial team, the human editorial team is also part of the music vertical. They report in to David Kaefer. But like I said, the two of us are joined at the hip and working on all of that together every day.
Speaker 1: Okay. From thirty thousand feet. Yeah, he deals with licensing with the labels. Yeah, what do you deal with the labels?
Speaker 2: So, for instance, like our Spotify for Artist product, which is how the labels see how they're doing, manage their presence on Spotify, promote their music, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Okay, So in terms of ingesting music, yeah, that is not your thing. In terms of relationships with music and promoting the music from labels, that is your thing.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah. I've been at Spotify now for fourteen years, so obviously my role has evolved quite a bit over the years. But recently my role expanded to being responsible for the music vertical overall, which just means as we've gone into podcasts and audiobooks, other leaders look after those verticals and I try to look after our music proposition end in.
Speaker 1: Okay, you talk about the labels, How do you deal with independent labels and independent artists?
Speaker 2: Yeah, great question, and that's been something that's evolved a ton over the years. As you know. I mean, we released our Loud and Clear Report today which you might have seen, and in twenty twenty four, fifty percent of all of our payouts went to indies, which is just a huge sea change from where it was, you know, even a decade ago. And so for indies, that spanned everything from a do it yourself artist that might be coming through distro kid or tune core and they use Spotify for artists and manage their profile, you know, run their promotions, et cetera, all the way to you know, a pretty big indie label that might have a direct custom deal with Spotify and kind of everything in between. So the range of what is included in indies is pretty broad.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just stay there. Can you tell us more about the trends of consumption.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think the biggest one that stands out to me is that year over year, in addition to just payouts growing and the overall size of the pie growing, which is great, it's being cut up in a lot more ways. They're just a lot more types of success stories happening now than we're happening five years or ten years ago. So, you know, I think even if you go back twenty years, maybe twenty percent of plays and downloads we're coming from the top forty songs. That's now down to two percent something like that, And so things have gotten cut up into a lot smaller niches in music, so less top heavy and more kind of middle tier artists having sustainable fan bases but might not be superstars. I think that's been the biggest shift in consumption patterns over the last ten years or so.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just assume I'm somebody through distro kid yeah or CD baby, one of these independent aggregators. Yeah, can I touch you?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: I would assume if I'm universal, there's a direct pipeline between them and you. They have the largest market share.
Speaker 2: Whatever, I see what you mean.
Speaker 1: Let's say that I'm an independent artist. Is there any way to interact with someone at Spotify?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we try to have avenues at all different levels of scale. So I'll give you an example. Our human editorial team. If you go back, you know, say, five eight years, a lot of that was through human interaction. Like they were getting sent pre release music that was going to come out, they were listening to stuff that they were getting sent, and you know, they have limited hours in the day, right, so they're trying to be on top of everything, but they're only exposed to so much. So one of the things that we did was through Spotify for artists. We launched what we call New Music Submission, this playlist pitching tool where everyone, even if you're a do it yourself artist, you upload your music and then you can tag it with a bunch of stuff, tell the story, what instruments are used, you know who's in the band, all this kind of stuff, tag it with genres, and then that all goes into one workflow for the editors. So it doesn't matter if you're from Republic or if you're from District Kid. It all comes into one funnel and it goes into you know, if you're an indie rock editor, you get all the stuff tagged for indie rock, and then you you listen to the pre release music and try to tag up you know, what's showing promise, what we're we're gonna believe in, what we're gonna give some editorial love to. And so through things like that, we've tried to streamline it. So the levels of access are pretty uniform, you know, regardless of the kind of label set up the.
Speaker 1: F Let's say I'm an independent artist, I'm through one of those aggregators. Yeah, but I have money to spend, h Can I immediately get access? Say, well, you know, I want certain stuff that you offer the big labels because I'm willing to pay for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's another area where we've really streamlined and made the same tools accessible for everyone. So there's two types of promotional offerings that we offered a labels big and small. One is what we call native ads. So these are things where if you come into Spotify you might see you know, sponsored recommendation or new release and it's featured and artists, you know, whether they're on the biggest label or they're do it yourself. They can come into Spotify for artists and they can book a campaign. They can target dormant fans or existing fans or potential listeners, and they can use a cash budget for that. You know, works very similarly the way a lot of digital advertising works. And again because we've launched that in a self serve way, everybody has equal access to that. The other program that I would argue is even more accessible is Discovery Mode, and it's more accessible because it actually requires zero upfront budget. So with Discovery Mode, you say, here are my promotional priorities, these are the tracks I'm really trying to work. I want you to try to find spotify any opportunity for this to show up in more relevant place. And I don't put in budget on the front end. I accept a commission of my royalty rate on the back end when you pay me next month. And because it doesn't require upfront budget, it really levels the playing field so that it doesn't advantage people that have the most you know, cash on hand for marketing. But just you know, whatever is the most relevant in the system, which you know, we're really proud of.
Speaker 1: That, Okay, you know, staying with the independent artists because there's not a lot of light on this particular sphere. Yeah, I am an independent artist. Let's go with the latter. And I say, okay, I am checking in these discovery modes. If people listen, I will accept a reduce royalty. Yeah, but what are the odds that people are gonna actually hear my stuff?
Speaker 2: It performs pretty well. It's it's I think it's been, you know, certainly our most successful promotional product today. So I can explain a little bit more and detail how it works. But generally people say, you know, if you look at how many streams you got before putting in discovery mode and streams you got after putting in discovery mode, typically you're seeing you know, fifty one hundred hundred and fifty percent higher royalties because of the lift and streams, you get.
Speaker 1: A little bit more granular. Yeah, how does it actually work? Sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, So discovery mode operates in algorithmic playlists. So these are things like you know, radio stations or AutoPlay, right, and when a radio station is formed, there's two steps to this. So first, you know you're making it a Dell radio station. There might be three four, five hundred songs that are relevant for a Dell radio station. You know, Slean Beyond to Beyonce. You could go a lot of different ways. So you create a pool of all the most hyper relevant stuff. But then you got to sequence that playlist, right, like does this user typically like Selean theon or do they like Beyonce? What are they famili you're with? Or what's going to be more of a new discovery for them? You have to have some variations, so it's not you know, all Adele in the beginning and then all the other stuff, right, So a lot of the goodness comes in the sequencing. So the only thing that discovery mode does is after the track pool has already been set up. It only affects the sequencing, So there's maybe fifty or one hundred things that go into the sequencing, and discovery mode adds that one more ingredient. To say, factor in the fact that you know, this is the promotional priority for this artist, and because of that, it's going to get sequenced often higher in the list than it would have if it were not in discovery mode. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but let's just go even deeper. User creates a radio station, Yeah, we'll use your example at Dell. Are we saying conventionally there's five hundred tracks or is that a number you just used.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's usually a track pool for radio stations, a few hundred tracks. That's about right.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's five hundred tracks. The tracks in that pool are based on daddy you got from the listener, uh huh. And the rotation because as you said, you don't want all adele first in all unknown at the end. How is the rotation established?
Speaker 2: So the sequencer it has all these different dimensions to it. But it's like we have to have a good mix of familiarity and discovery. So some tracks that you're going to recognize in some that you don't. We want a good diversity of mix of artists. We want to have, you know, diversity of old versus new. So a lot of different factors go into it, and then discovery mode becomes one of those factors that goes into the ordering that we give the user.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's just use your number of five hundred. Yeah, how do we decide if my discovery mode track goes with the Dell as a post to Deftones, and what if everybody wants to be with it? Don't.
Speaker 2: Well, since discovery mode only affects the sequencer, it can only move within a trackpool it's already in. You cannot use discovery mode to inject a track into a radio station that it wouldn't have already been in. The only thing it influences is the rank within the track pool.
Speaker 1: Okay, once again, very deep. I upload my stuff, I say I want discovery mode. Yeah, how do I know what acts and how many acts would I be in that pool of tracks?
Speaker 2: So we have these pre campaign analytics for you that show you this is where you're at. These are some suggestions of what might perform well, and then you can take those suggestions or ignore those suggestions. You try something, and then you get a report that's like, this is the amount of uplift each of these tracks got. These ones are ROI positive because they're getting more royalties than they did before. These ones. It's not resonating, like we tried to give it more spins, but it's not performing well and so it's staying flat and so you're accepting a discount, but it's not really worth it for you. So you get all this reporting and then you make adjustments for next month about what you want to try. That's different.
Speaker 1: Okay, is it month by month?
Speaker 2: It is month by month, Yeah, because that's the royalty reporting cycle, and so it's a good, you know cycle.
Speaker 1: So everybody's on the same month exactly counter month. Okay, let's say I'm a complete unknown quote Bob Dylan, do I get discovery options.
Speaker 2: For discovery mode? We need the system needs to know a bit about you in the algorithm, right, because since you have to already be in the track pulls to get you know, moving up and moving down, if the algorithm has no idea where you're relevant, it can't process the track for discovery mode. So you have to have some minimum presence in radio stations or algorithm mixes. All right, it still means that there's like hundreds of thousands of uploaders who have access to the tool. But you can't start from absolute zero.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's just doue them. I'm starting from nothing. Yeah, in order to be eligible, is it as simple as someone's got to listen to my track or people have to listen to my track a thousand times on Spotify? How do we create the data that gives us the ability to go to discovery mode?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need some thousands of streams and then you'll see in Spotify for artists when the algorithm on the radio and mix aside has picked it up enough where you're now eligible for it.
Speaker 1: And to be clear, this is all algorithmic radio playlist has got nothing to do with curated.
Speaker 2: Playlists, That's right.
Speaker 1: We have.
Speaker 2: Two separate worlds, the man in the machine and for editorial playlists like Today's Top Hits, rap CA stuff like that, discovery mode has no impact on it whatsoever. It's only for kind of the lean back sessions where people are open to discovery and like a wide variety of tracks where the discovery mode promotion system operates.
Speaker 1: Okay, what percentage of Spotify listening is in lean back mode?
Speaker 2: Well, it's increase over the years, is the algorithms have gotten better and better. I think it's grown from ten to fifteen towards twenty percent. Is you know, all the personalized mixes, algorithmic mixes, auto play radio things like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's say I create a radio station with Dell. We understand that, Yeah, but also Spotify serves me a lot of algorithmic playlist to me. Yeah. If an act signs up for discovery mode, will it potentially be placed there?
Speaker 2: The types of mixes that it's in are kind of the lean back mixes. So these could be things like daily mix We usually make a user five or six daily mixes that are each of the users what we call taste clusters or artists mix Like, here's a mix of you know, adele like music for you, genre mixes, you know, hip hop for you, those kind of mixes.
Speaker 1: Let's just say I'm using Discovery Mode and I get traction. Yeah, let's just say, for the sake of discussion, my royalty pool is increased. What are my options after I get traction?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean usually what we see is obviously artists are doing a bunch of different things across a bunch of different platforms at the same time to try to build buzz. So usually it's combining maybe native ads and discovery mode on Spotify, but then also you know, organic interest that they're trying to drum up on social media, maybe paid advertising on social media as well. It's even as you get bigger and bigger sponsorship out of home, et cetera. So it's usually part of a broader picture. But typically, you know, like what we see is if you get traction and you see something's really resonating. One of the things that's really cool about discovery mode is it's kind of like a heat seeker where it will route someone to say, oh, if that thing's resonating really well, I wasn't thinking about that one being the next single that I'm really promoting. But maybe I'm gonna change the plan a little bit, put a bit more emphasis on that because it seems to be having, you know, some kind of grounds well.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, a lot of stuff going on there. If I'm in discovery mode and I have enough traction such that you're doing it, yeah, do I pick a specific track or do you take it from a pool of tracks? How does that work?
Speaker 2: So an artist could come in or their label, you know, if you're if you're doing it at that scale, and they could put one track into discovery mode, or they could put eight tracks. You know, it's up to them how pointed they want to be with it and tactical versus more broad and using the tool.
Speaker 1: So let's just assume that I'm gaining traction. What is the next level I'm eligible for?
Speaker 2: Its Spotify Well, I mean hopefully the way that we see it working organically is signals kind of pick up and ladder on each other. So if you're doing well in radio, then the algorithm's going to notice that and start putting you more and more in other contexts. On the editor's dashboards, they're going to see, oh, you know, the save rate on this thing is super high. Everyone that listens to it wants to save it, so they're going to consider it more for things when we're thinking about artists to partner with, you know, a radar artist or some of the programs that we do to build artist brands. It all kind of feeds into the better a track is performing. All those opportunities start, you know, opening up for ours.
Speaker 1: Let's be very clear, this is a business of hype and bullshit. Okay, let's assume I have some traction. They're gonna be people who try to make contact with you, who are gonna spin a story. I'm gonna be on television, I'm selling tickets, et cetera, et cetera. How do you separate the week from the chat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we see it a lot. I think there are things that spike, and then there are things that have staying power, and I think we've gotten pretty good at especially when things are in our programming or editorial programming or algorithmic programming. You kind of see it in the data, right, Like when someone listens to the song, how often do they go back to it next week? How often do they save it and make it one of the things in their playlist, how often they sharing it with friends? You can't really fake that stuff in terms of the response you're getting from real human beings. And so you might get some noise in the data from something having like a meme moment on TikTok or you know, getting featured somewhere, but it's pretty easy for us to see what's gonna kind of stick with it and have staying power.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm clicking boxes for discovery mode. Yeah, let's just assume I continue to have more and more success. At what point do I talk to a human being?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I don't. I don't say this to say we don't want to talk to artists and levels we talk to artisans.
Speaker 1: Listen, I don't want to talk to people. I'd rather deal with email, whatever, So continue.
Speaker 2: You know, It's just the point I'm trying to make is, you know, the music ecosystem is pretty small, right, like this industry. It's a small industry and relationships matter. I don't want to like deny that, but at the same time, I think it's been good for the industry that more and more is done on the basis of, you know, how is something actually performing and how's it resonating with fans more so than who you know and who you're connected to. So we try to make it so the top of the mountain isn't about getting to talk to someone you know. It shouldn't require you having a friend in the company, so that's not really all roads don't lead to And then you have a meeting with Spotify or hopefully our systems are working so that you can get a lot done and it doesn't have to be about a human relationship.
Speaker 1: But after I'm in discovery mode and it's working, I just have to have faith that editorial and it's going to work me. You know.
Speaker 2: I think it's about having faith, but it's also about look For most artists that are really trying to do this and they're trying to get out on tour and they're trying to have fans that maybe support them with merch or become someone that's going to be a genuine supporter. It's about taking people from being light listeners maybe I hear you in radio, to being high intent listeners like I'm searching for you and I'm playing you to a real follower and supporter where I'm you know, buying things, and so we try to kind of flow those tools together. So let's say you have good success on discovery mode, then you can go in and buy a native ads campaign that says, I want to target people that have only ever heard me on programming but have never put me in their library. Can you put me in front of them? And then we want to say all right now you've got some high intent listeners, Let's put your show and your concert listing in front of them. And that's kind of the beautiful flow when it works really well, is going from discovery mode low intent, native ads high intent, and now you start having your concert listings or your merch and you start, you know, not only getting very material royalties, and I'm sure we'll talk about you know, sizeable royalties that are getting paid out, but also other revenue streams that you can drive by having those you know, high intent fans on Spotify.
Speaker 1: Okay, when you talk about AD, you're not talking about the free tier. You're talking about information that would be served up to subscribers. You're right, yes, and that information might be tour dates, might be merch anything else.
Speaker 2: So it could be content like here's a new release from an artist that you might have heard in a radio station. It could be like you said, concerts merch.
Speaker 1: And where would the user see that?
Speaker 2: Well, our main products are called Marquee, which is like when you open the app, if there's a relevant new release for you, you'll see a big screen when you open the app announcing the new release, usually on release day, and then we have a second format called Showcase, which is essentially a home shelf. You know how we have the shelves on home with different content recommendations. It's a sponsored shelf where you can feature not only a new release, but it could be a catalog, anniversary or kind of anything that you want to promote.
Speaker 1: Okay. Previous Spotify reports have said the most active listeners pick and choose their music as opposed to listening to playlists. Is that accurate?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, it's certainly true that almost every user does both. So you know, users that are heavily engaged often have their own playlists and they're curating stuff for themselves, your favorite songs that you want to go back to over and over. But the vast, vast majority of users also have habits with our programming. Maybe they love hot country or they love their daily mix too. The healthiest users on Spotify have the most diverse habits. They listen to us on their phone and the card, they listen to programming and you know, the DJ, and they do a jam with their friends. Like, the more different parts of Spotify you're using, the more you're going to retain, the more you're gonna keep paying for your subscription.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is happening musically on Spotify? After all, we hear all this top line stuff. It's a hip hop world. Rock is dying.
Speaker 2: What is going on genre wise? You mean yes, well, you know earlier I said more nichefication. I think that's definitely true. But I think probably like the biggest trend that I see is how global. Those trends have been so regional Mexican music, K pop, afro pop, you know, music has gotten so global across the world, and now we're at a place where artists get the majority of their royalties from outside their home country. A third of artists get more than.
Speaker 1: Who wha wha, wha wha A little bit slower. Yeah, all artists around the world, both in small countries and in large markets US, Germany and UK, get most of their royalties outside their home country.
Speaker 2: The average is that the majority of an artist's royalties come from outside their home country.
Speaker 1: Okay, I interrupted, you continue, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So just to say I think that I think we've gone from a global music market that was a lot more western centric and it's you know, these kind of radio stations on Terrestra radio that fit into a certain format to a lot more niche genres, and a lot of those genres are driven outside the West, but are becoming really popular globally.
Speaker 1: Okay, we have the Spotify Top fifty, that's the most dominant chart in the world. It does not seem to have niche ification if you look down the road. Are these other niches going to grow or is that always going to be separate from the pool at large?
Speaker 2: I think so. I mean, when you look at the top fifty on Spotify, you gotta remember that's a little bit of a reflection of where our users are. But as India has become a bigger and bigger area of usage for Spotify, you see more and more music from India charting, and I think we're just going to see that as we've become more popular in Africa across Asia. I certainly think you're going to see that on the global chart.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's regional. Are we going to see an Americana act in the Spotify Top fifteen?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that because of the fact that the way music is breaking is so different now. I mean, you know, like I said, in the nineties, you kind of had to fit into a certain set of radio formats. There are no rules now, Like, you can be whatever kind of music you want. You don't need to brand yourself with a specific genre or whatever. And if you have a fan base that's resonating with what you're doing because of your personality or the way you relate to them or whatever, you can grow. And so because of that, I think it's possible for really any type of music to break through. Like I yeah, I don't think there are really any rules boundaries anymore.
Speaker 1: Just going sideways for a second to what did we to tracks start on social media primarily TikTok and crossover, or start on Spotify, or start on TikTok and not crossover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, I mean we certainly see all of the above. I think typically, Well, let me divide into two types of tracks, just to massively oversimplify, there's two types of tracks. There's tracks that follow like a typical historical pattern, which is your biggest week is your opening week. You come out hot out of the gate, all the attention, and then slowly over time you kind of plateau and fade out. That's like one path that a track can have. A second type of path that we see is what I would think about as a momentum track, it gets released, it's kind of sitting there and then all of a sudden it gets picked up by something. It's in a Netflix show, it's in a TikTok trend whatever, and now it starts surging out of nowhere and it has this kind of big hill out of nowhere. So I think in terms of tracks that really spike on Spotify, it might be fifty to fifty ish in terms of the first pattern versus the second pattern. Typically for the first pattern tracks they really break first on Spotify, you see them spike out of the gate. They're getting you know, presence on playlists, and then they start getting picked up elsewhere in the world. For the second time of track, usually streaming is a little bit behind, maybe you know, a couple of days or a week after it's trending on social it starts, you know, we see the signals in the search algorithm and stuff, and it starts getting picked up by Spotify. But to your point about not sticking, you know, a lot of the stuff that is a trending sound to the background of a social media video isn't the stuff that people want to have in their playlist, and it doesn't actually you know, linger or really catch on were genuine music streaming. It's just, you know, a trend in a different sense.
Speaker 1: Okay. As you said, today, Spotify released its annual economics report. Well, those who haven't read it, can you give us some highlights for sure?
Speaker 2: I mean, to me, I would boil it down to two big things. First, the total pie continues to grow and grow and grow, which is great. I started in the music industry two thousand and eight to twenty fourteen, and every year it was how much are we going down? So I don't take it for granted that every year, you know, the industry grows. It's fantastic that total payouts in total revenues to the industry are going up and up and up every year. It's clear that streaming has gotten people to pay for music more and more and more people are coming out to the idea that paying for music every month is a great service, which is awesome. So ten billion with a B in total payouts from Spotify in twenty twenty four ten x growth from where we were in twenty fourteen. We paid out one billion in twenty fourteen. Ten billion in twenty twenty four the most that any retailer has ever paid to the music industry, So that's awesome. The total pie is growing. Second big thing that stands out is it's getting divided and shared in by more and more types of artist success stories. So the number of artists that are getting ten thousand dollars in payouts per year, one hundred thousand dollars in payouts per year, five million dollars in payouts per year, all those have tripled in the last seven years. So the number of artists seeing you know, meaningful amounts of royalty payouts is growing faster than the total pie is growing, which just means that we're finding more and more ways to program different types of artists to audiences and that's working. Fifty percent of payouts going to indies. That was never possible, you know, in the previous way that the industry works. So those are the two big things that stand out to me, total pie growth and then how it's getting shared by more and more types of artists.
Speaker 1: Can you give us, you know, this may be two minute, Can you give us a couple of stories of people were making a lot of money that I mean obviously Lady Gaga, Brude marsh and making a lot of money, but something domestic. We're speaking in English where people will be surprised how much money these people are making.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good question. I don't know, you know, if I should owe any one artists specific payouts. But you know, actually I was just talking to there's a guy on our team who's employed by Spotify, but he does music with his band still as a side gig, and so we were looking at his stuff because I'm allowed to talk about him because he works here. I don't need to ask his permission. So they're bandy, you know, they all have jobs, but they put out music on the side still. They have maybe around one hundred thousand monthly listeners, a few million streams. They're generating about fifteen thousand dollars a year in payouts from Spotify, and so you know that's probably they're yeah, probably some something like the eighty thousand, you know, highest earning artists, and Spotify by no means is this like you know, their day job. But it just like gives you an example of the types of that type of success story wasn't really even a thing twenty years ago. So I thought that was cool, just as an example of what's possible.
Speaker 1: Okay, since your tenure at Spotify, there's been a change where you have to reach a certain threshold to get royalties at all. Yeah, what percentage of tracks reach that threshold?
Speaker 2: So ninety nine point five percent of tracks by stream share monetize. But the reason that we established that threshold is, you know, if I back up for a second, most of what we try to do every day grow the pie because it grows our revenues and it grows payouts to the industry. Right, very very infrequently, you can find a way to shift the payout that you're already doing around to get people paid more. But that's what we found with this. For tracks that were generating less than a thousand streams in the last year, on average, they were generating three cents in payouts. So that means if you went into your aggregator account and said I want to withdraw my three cents, you couldn't even do it because it's below the threshold of the fee to withdraw your money. Right and so literally, if you add up all those pennies of millions of uploaders generating a few pennies, we were allowed fifty one hundred million dollars to sit just between couch cushions getting wasted, and that seemed like a real missed opportunity. We had gotten so big that that amount of waste in the system seemed like a miss So we established a threshold to say, you know, until a track has one thousand streams the last twelve months, it doesn't generate royalties. That allows all the tracks that are generating royalties to get half a percent more payout, so it increases all of their payouts. Spotify makes no additional money by this policy. It just shifts the revenue to people that can actually withdraw their money. And because of that, we eliminated waste in the system and we're able to get everyone who's doing this a little bit more seriously paid a little bit more money.
Speaker 1: Okay. Spotify is the largest player in streaming market, just like anybody who's the largest player, there's blowback. In addition, streaming is a different paradigm than it will in the pre Internet era. Is this just something that the public doesn't understand it needs to adjust to or what would your response.
Speaker 2: Be, Yeah, I mean it depends on the type of blowback you're talking about. I see it all, but you know, the one type that I see is it was better in the good old days. You know, everyone was making more money in the good old days. And I don't understand that. I haven't seen any data that at any point in music history we're artists making more money than they are now. I was looking at in loud and clear this year, if you were the one hundred thousandth most popular artists on Spotify last year, he generated six thousand dollars from Spotify, And usually, you know, Spotify is about a quarter of what you make from recorded revenue, so maybe you're making twenty twenty five thousand in total if you were one hundred thousandth most popular artists on Spotify in twenty twenty four. In two thousand and four, one hundred thousandth most popular artist was making six hundred dollars from Spotify. So it's ten x and in two thousand four, if I go back ten years, additionally, there was no Just.
Speaker 1: To be clear, because I think you missbooked, you're about twenty fourteen.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Yeah, So twenty twenty four it was generating six thousand dollars. Twenty fourteen it was generating six hundred dollars. And if I go back to two thousand and four. Ten years earlier, there was no such thing as the one hundred thousandth most popular commercial artists. The record stores did not have one hundred thousand different artists in it, so that didn't exist. They cut their demo, they didn't get signed, no thank you, you're out of the game. They weren't even allowed to play. So we've gone from you can't be in the game to you can generate a couple hundred dollars to you know, twenty twenty five thousand dollars a year from recorded revenue. Not that it's like, okay, quit everything, this is your but that's the kind of progress that makes it hard for me to understand how you could look at this and say anything other than the industry is so much healthier now than it's been at any point in its history. Maybe, you know, if you're a top ten, top twenty act and less of the streams, less of the attention goes to you, maybe it's it's, you know, a weaker phase of music industry at that tip of the iceberg. But in terms of the total revenue getting paid to artists, in terms of the number of artists achieving meaningful amounts of royalties or meaningful amounts of success. There's just no denying the fact that there's more you know, success now than there's ever been. So to me, this is the good old days of the music industry. And that's probably the criticism that confuses me the most of you know, streaming doesn't pay and we are so much better off in the CD era. I've just never seen a number or a fact to support that way of looking at it.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about all the people who say my track was streamed a million dollar a million times, but I'm getting buck.
Speaker 2: Gis, Yeah, totally, you know. One of the tough things that's it's hard to wrap your head around this. One point four million tracks on Spotify have gotten a million streams for more. It's just there's a lot of streams, right, So if if your track gets a million streams, it means you're in the top one point four million tracks last year. But just a million streams doesn't mean what it used to in terms of total popularity. So I think a lot of times when people are frustrated about payouts, and it's from maybe an artist that you haven't heard of before, or they haven't kind of built their brand. A lot of it is just the laws of popularity. Like you and I could record a song today and we could put it up on Spotify. There's twelve million people who have uploaded. Are we gonna have a hit?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: It's the odds are stacked against us. So it just requires that much more popularity to break through today because there's hundreds of millions of people streaming, and there's trillions of streams every year, and so what might have seemed like a big number in a downloads era just really isn't the same in the streaming era.
Speaker 1: However, there are people, especially in the UK, keep saying, oh, you're putting out an artist out of business, they can't make a living.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if it's supported by facts, like I hear the anecdotes that you're talking about. But every single piece of data that I see is that there's more revenue being paid to artists that support more people being able to afford living through music than there were ten years ago or twenty years ago. I mean ten years ago the total industry had gotten to a bottom of thirteen fourteen billion, and now we're going to be over in the thirties. In total revenues for recorded music, So there's no doubt that more is being paid out. We are one hundred percent transparent with how we pay out and to who. No one's been more transparent than us, And so there are occasions I'm sure where money is getting lost in the pipes or it's not reaching the right hands. I don't want to diminish any of that, but overall, I think it to me, there's no denying the data that the industry is more healthy and more people are making a living for music than there were at any previous era.
Speaker 1: Okay, today, how many tracts are being uploaded a day or a week or a month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's in the tens of thousands, maybe towards one hundred thousand a day.
Speaker 1: I think now, Okay, you said something earlier that Spotify represents twenty five percent, one quarter of overall recorded music revenues. Where's the other three quarters?
Speaker 2: Well, I think in terms of let's see, I think in terms of streaming revenue, that's about that's become about eighty percent of the business now and we're about thirty five forty percent of that. And then outside of streaming, you know, you've got vinyl and CD and inside streaming you have essentially Spotify's competitors.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know the big competitors domestically are Apple and Amazon. Are we considering streaming people who are listening for free on YouTube also which pays? But I just want to know in the overall pie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when we look at total recorded revenues for the industry, paid streaming is the biggest driver. Free streaming AD supported streaming from Spotify and YouTube is the second biggest, and then you know everything after that is pretty small, digital downloads, et cetera.
Speaker 1: To what degree do you personally pay or the company also pay attention to your competitors. Let me start on a gross level. Yeah, if you ever say, wait a second, something else has happened in there, we have to follow that trend.
Speaker 2: I think for the most part, you know, we've been more of a leader for the fact that this is really all we focus on, you know, like this is our whole business. If streaming music doesn't work for us, we don't work, like we have to make this work. So we focus a lot on how can we make the most valuable service that we possibly can so that more people pay for a music subscription so that we grow revenues and we grow payouts. We have to be obsessed with that. We don't have any other We don't have a cloud business or a you know, of books business or a hardware business to subsidize this thing. It has to work on its own. So I think because of that, we've been really focused. We've invested a ton in innovation of the product and R and D, you know, to be in front and have what I'm biased, but I think clearly the best consumer experience.
Speaker 1: It's a collegial small business. Do the other big companies have someone like you? Do you know them? To what degree is their infrastructure akin to yours?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a small ecosystem, and I think that, like you know, as much as we are competitors, I genuinely mean this. There's what It's somewhere between five hundred and six hundred million people paying for music music subscription around the world. Now there's seven eight billion people in the world. The big picture here is music is part of every single human being's life. There is still a ton of growth to get all of the world paying for streaming music, and so if other companies are finding ways to do that, I genuinely believe it's a good thing because that brings them into this market, and I think Spotify is the best product and so ultimately it's going to win that market. But that's like the big picture journey that we're on. I remember when I joined Spotify in twenty eleven, and you know, there's like industry analysis reports and they were like, the total addressable market for a paying music subscription, we think is between three to five million or you know, and Spotify was at nine hundred thousand subscribers. The big picture why the pie is growing, why there's more revenue in the industry, is we got hundreds of millions of people to pay for music. So I'm cheerleading everybody that's trying to make that happen. And because of that, you know, I try to take inspiration. There's a lot of Spotify alumni who've gone to YouTube, We've gone to Apple, We've gone to Amazon and built out similar things there, you know, Amazon Music for artists or similar tools that what we're doing, and I think that is a great thing.
Speaker 1: What do you say to people who say Spotify pays less per stream.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a it's a totally bogus ridiculous concept. There is no such thing as a There is no such thing as a per play rate, and this is probably the most misunderstood concept in the music industry. The thing that probably bothers me the most is when people in the music industry who fully know that it's bullshit and still talk about it as if it's a real thing because it serves their narraor. But there is no such thing as a per play rate. The reason that there's no such thing as a per play rate is because no consumer pays per play that they do, you know, they pay per month. So every music subscription pays the same way. We all charge the same retail price, and we all take our music revenues and pay two thirds of it to labels and publishers. Every music streaming service does that exactly the same way. So then if we're all paying, if we're all doing the same retail price, and we're all paying out two thirds of that retail revenue, why is the revenue per play higher in some streaming services than others. The reason is that on other streaming services, people play a lot fewer streams. So if you only use your service to play one track in a month, you got a per play rate of ten dollars. Congratulations, that looks amazing. If you use the service a lot and you're streaming thousands or tens of thousands of times a month, the effective quote unquote per play rate goes down. The only problem is if you look at what is the biggest predictor of churn of stopping paying for music, the biggest predictor of churn is low usage of the service. So if you play five times a month or ten times a month, it makes your per play rate look amazing, and then next month you're probably canceling your description because you get no value from the thing. So all of the you know, anyone in the industry you're saying, we got to get the per play rates up. It's it's literally backwards for what we need to be trying to do as an industry. We need to be trying to get people to engage more in their service so that they're willing to pay more when we raise prices, that they retain better. And so you know, if a service has a lot of dormant accounts, you know, you sign up with your phone carrier, but you never actually use it, it makes your per play ray look amazing, but it's it's totally a distraction, and it's opposite from what the industry needs to be focused on. So it's so frustrating misunderstood in the industry.
Speaker 1: Okay, what is the demo of subscriber of Spotify compared to Apple and Amazon.
Speaker 2: It's younger, and it's more global.
Speaker 1: And it is also more active. Correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if you could call that a demo, but way more active. I think, on average, probably about twice as active.
Speaker 1: Okay. I was with a twenty something yesterday actually three days ago, and she said she subscribed to Apple Music, which shocked me. Okay, they're out there not getting into my own personal feelings about this. Let's just assume someone is listening and they don't have a subscription at all or there with a rival service, Why should would they be subscribing to Spotify instead.
Speaker 2: I'm like, in a live pitch them. Yeah, oh this is exciting. Well, I think you know, typically the things that we see people calling out is the reason that they come to Spotify or switch to Spotify is personalization. You know, all the mixes that we make for you, the way that the service kind of wraps around your taste and get to know you. The second is ubiquity, Like we've put in fifteen years into making sure run every speaker, every TV, every car, wherever you are you can get Spotify to work. That's a big part of it. And then recently, I think a lot of the investments that we've been making into kind of product innovation, being able to have a jam with your friends where you can all cue songs together, the DJ feature where you have someone giving you context about the music, and you know, serving recommendations. I think all those things have felt like you're getting a little bit more value from this service than maybe other places.
Speaker 1: Okay, there was a recent book that analyze Spotify and said there were tracks created and that these tracks were created mostly in lean back music. We're taking away royalties from the overall pool. Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 2: Not true? Spotify creates zero tracks period. Every track that's on Spotify comes from a third party, a licenser, which is a label or a distributor. They distribute us tracks. We publish and program the tracks, so we do not make our own music, and we do not like pad our service with you know, Spotify's own tracks.
Speaker 1: How about different royalty rates for different companies, like a music factory who's creating work for hire. Some guy comes in, creates an atmospheric track. They put these into a pile of let's say twenty five thousand tracks. You say, okay, we'll program that, but we'll pay you a lesser royalty.
Speaker 2: So we never say we'll program that period. But we've never said in a deal you give us this and we'll program it that. That's not a quid pro quo that we would ever do. If you're asking, would we pay the same royalty rate for uh SPA background music as Kendrick Lamar, of course, I think any sane person would assume we're not paying the same rate for forests, you know, wind sounds as we are for you know, the top acts in the world. That's always been the case in the history of the music industry. You have your production music in the bargain bin, you've got the hits that have a higher wholesale rate. There's I don't think anyone would be surprised by that. But as far as background music, it's really been an emergent behavior of the access model. Like what I mean by that is there weren't a lot of people buying White Noise CDs in the nineties, Are you really going to you know, pay eight dollars to have that CD on hand for when you want to listen to white Noise? Probably not, but in the access model and streaming where you've already paid your monthly subscription, but you want to have you know, your our meditation session, or you want to have the background noise so you're you know, toddler can take a nap. It's become you know, it's become an important use case to some people. It exists as an important playlisting category. For us, it's been pretty consistent out of around one to two percent of plays over the last decade. It probably is about one to two percent of what we think about day to day. It's Spotify, it's not a huge part. And so there's no you know, uh, there's no scheme, there's no I don't really know where the myths and the controversy come from, but it's sort of a natural evolution of having access to anything you want that these kind of use cases become something that people do.
Speaker 1: How do you decide which tracks get a lower royalty rate?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean everything is a negotiation. So if you're doing a deal with a production music company that specializes and by the way, some of them are very good at doing this really well. Like you have to make the music. I think boring is probably the right word, Like, don't distract the user when they're trying to meditate with vocals. It's got to kind of just recede into the background and be as like unnoticeable as possible. So I don't want to diminish the skill that it takes to create a great production library. It's it is certainly valuable. But if you're negotiating with that type of label, obviously the mechanics of that are going to be different than if you're negotiating with someone that drives a lot of their own demand that you know people are going to search for that artist. It's not something that you know it's just going to be a use case kind of music, but people actually care about that artists and going to search it out.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's mostly in the jazz soft jazz world. Artist you're saying, I put in all my effort I create this and and to save money. Spotify is programming stuff that's more from one of these music factories instead.
Speaker 2: You know, from what we see. They just don't. They're just not substitutional. Period. So, like, I'm a jazz fan, and there are times that I seek out jazz and I look for John Scholfield or Pamathany or I'm you know, I'm looking for music because I care that I'm listening to jazz. And then there's other times where I just want background music. I don't think that you can get someone who would be interested in jazz to be like, don't you want to meditate right now? Or don't you want to sleep right now? It's up to the user, you know, what need they have. So it's just not a viable idea to say, oh, let's take someone that would be looking for, you know, what's the latest in jazz, or let me go listen to Pamathany and instead give them, you know, background production music. It just doesn't work like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, are there any companies that makes soft jazz that you have an overall deal with that you pay less to?
Speaker 2: I don't know if any of the production music, I don't know how much it goes into soft jazz or if it's more the white noise kind of baby sleep nature sounds side of it. I'm sure there's some blurring of the edges, but what I can tell you is that for any of these playlists, like if you look at our noise meditation or our relaxation playlists or whatever, the people you know, just so you see what it looks like on the inside. Within the company, the people who are responsible for programming that playlist, they are accountable to that playlist performing the best with consumers. So they need to go in and say, every time I add some of the playlist, people skip less and they stream more, and so they need to put the stuff in it that is the best. That is their incentive is to program it with the you know, the content that people want for that use case or or for that playlist. They're not asked to, you know, do it from here or do it from there. They're asked to put the best stuff in there that's going to perform best for the user, because that's what gets people to retain in their subscription and grows our revenue.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're out there, you're somewhere, you're at dinner, you're at a show, you're at a party, and it comes out you work at Spotify. How do people react well?
Speaker 2: For the most part, people who are not in the music industry have lovely things to say about Spotify because from a consumer standpoint, it's been life changing. You know, like I feel like I get a amazing surplus of value. I get to listen to anything in the world. Your playlists are amazing. When I talk to people who are in the music industry, they have lots more interesting things to ask me about, you know, how do I get on playlists? And how do your royalty rates work? And all sorts of stuff. But you know, if you're talking about just day to day interactions, I think people have been, you know, overjoyed about the way that Spotify plays in their life, how it's soundtracked different moments of their life, the role it plays with the time they spend with their kids. I mean, that's really one of the things that has kept me at Spotify for now fourteen years, is like there's just so few products that have one a real role in people's lives, you know, that is used by so many different people, but two in kind of a I would argue, like a purely positive way. You know, you don't hear parents say I got to get my kid to spend less time with Spotify. I think more time that people spend with Spotify, whether it's you know, podcasts or music, it's you know, it's enriching, it's making your life. I don't know better in some ways, you don't feel like, oh that hour that I just spent has kind of robbed me of something or made me feel worse or something. So you know, that's usually what I hear about from most folks.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've covered Indie. Tell me about your relationship with the three major labels in large independence.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that right now our relationship with the industry is probably the healthiest it's been. I mean, look, in an industry like ours, you're always going to have your debates d jure about what's going on in the industry and things that you can argue about. But in a world where our incentives are so aligned, we all want to get more people in the world to pay for music. We all want to figure out how to raise prices in a way that's going to maximize revenue. Together, we all want to figure out a way to add more value to the subscription and so that we can add more tiers or things like that. The conversations that I feel like we're in day to day, we're more aligned, you know, we want the same things. Of course, there's always going to be things to figure out, but you know, if you talk about the state of those relationships, I think they're you know, they're as good as I've ever seen them. Being at Spotify for the last fourteen years.
Speaker 1: How often do you speak with people from the major labels?
Speaker 2: Definitely a few times a month.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're saying you could talk to someone from Innerscope once a month, three times a month.
Speaker 2: Well, in my role, I typically am interfacing more with people who are in the central corporate teams and the major labels more so than the frontline labels. The frontline labels have teams they can work with at Spotify on this is the new release coming from this artist. We want to give you heads up about it. We want to get prepared how we're going to partner around it. That's you know, that's that's less of my day to.
Speaker 1: Day just staying on that. Yeah, lessons daity, how does that actually work?
Speaker 2: Well? I mean, as you know, so much of a new releases promotional cycle now has shifted to the pre release phase, building hype, teasing it, getting people excited about it. And one of the ways that Spotify and markets its service is in collaboration with artists. So we try to do co marketing with artists that not only attract attention to them, but might be the reason that someone joined Spotify for the first time. Like if you're sixteen and you see, oh, here's chaperone advertisement with Spotify, I want to make sure I get that new release on release day, and that could be the reason that you join Spotify. So a lot of times you try to coordinate, you know, sort of co marketing together around a new release.
Speaker 1: Well what about people who say that Spotify is run presently streaming in general's run present like radio, where the majors have a dominant relationship in market share and mind share.
Speaker 2: Every data point says the exact opposite thing. I mean, if you're if the assertion is that the majors dominate more than ever before, that's certainly not what we're seeing, right. We're seeing more share go to indies than ever before. We're seeing more DIY success than ever before. So I don't I haven't seen any data to support the idea that the industry is getting more and more dominated by major labels.
Speaker 1: Okay, it is a relationship business. I personally know people who have relationships with people at Spotify and work them on records. Yeah, somebody who's in Timbuctoo's got a record doesn't have that relationship. Relationship must pay dividends.
Speaker 2: Well, I think so if we separate two things, we talk about marketing, we talk about playlisting. Earlier I talked about our playlist pitching system where we've tried to make as level of a playing field as possible, and so it's not about who can get in the building and play their record on a stereo. It's it all comes through the same tool. People evaluate it with their headphones on. They decide, you know, our editors decide what they want to get behind. So that's one piece of it. And then on the co marketing side, we are our interest is in partnering with artist brands where they're bringing something to the table, an audience, an excitement, right, and so when we see that, it can be from any angle. It could be an independent artist, it could be an indie major distributor urist, it could be a major as signed artist. If it's if it's an artist that doing a marketing tie up can be beneficial to both sides because it allows us to have an interesting camp pain and speak to a demo or a fan base that we'd like to reach. It doesn't really matter. Yeah, the exact kind of deal structure they have with their label.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know people who have worked for Spotify no longer worked there anymore for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: And they said traditionally drop date is Friday. And they said, with some of these major racks, they can tell by early afternoon whether the albums is stiff for a success. Can you speak to that?
Speaker 2: I think that. Yeah, So typically stuff is coming out Thursday night midnight, and yeah, signals tend to emerge pretty quickly in terms of again, how often are people sharing the track, saving the track, repeap, playing the track. Those signals start coming through pretty quick.
Speaker 1: What would you tell someone who has, you know, a household name to a degree everything you say it's an interest today that the indicators are not good at first, what would you tell them to try to prop up the music?
Speaker 2: Well, so everything is context dependent. What I mean by that is, you know, if you take a song and put it in hot country and it doesn't perform well, it could be because it's just not a song that's going to resonate with anyone. But it also could be that the people who are listening to that playlist, they're not your people. You got to find some different people. Our system tries to do that automatically. But sometimes it's also about like, you know, who's this artist partnering with, where are they talking what? You know, like what culture are they trying to like appeal to. And sometimes it's about finding your zone a little bit. And you know, I think that sometimes it can be a track that will perform, just needs to be in a different type of context.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just talk to someone who's truly a household names. Yeah, they dropped their new album, numbers are not good. It wouldn't be about classifying the niche. What might you tell them to say, this is a way for you to make the album sustain.
Speaker 2: It's hard to fight gravity. So I don't know that I have any magic answers to that, but you know, at the very least, you're always gonna have, like, if you're talking about an established name, you're probably gonna have some diehards that are gonna be with you no matter what. And so some records are gonna be the kind that are like I was even with you on that album, even though it didn't kind of cross over to be a pop hit. You always have that. But I don't know that I have a magic answer outside of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's assume I'm an act with some fan. Should I put out a single? Should I put out an EP? How frequently should I put out my music? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think there can be a lot of for success. But I do think one of the big challenges with music is the long periods that can sometimes happen between releases, where you kind of people start forgetting or fraying a little bit. So I do think that there's a pretty clear, you know, evidence that if you can keep a heartbeat of engagement and keep you know, a touch point with the fans, it's a little bit easier when the next big project drops to have them ready and warmed up and waiting. Dripping singles has been a pretty effective strategy for that. So it tends to work a little better if, you know, if you've got a big release coming in three months, if you can drip out one to five singles along the way, every single one of those drops is an opportunity to drive word of mouth and attention and algorithmic you know, signal and relevancy. That just increases the chances that when the full project drops, you know, gonna do as well as I can possibly do.
Speaker 1: And what about the number of tracks on an album. You know, there's been a trend of acts. I mean, listening to Morgan Wallen's a perfect example. The last couple of albums have been double albums. One of the analysisses, well, they're gonna make more money.
Speaker 2: I you know, maybe I'm thinking too artistically puist, but in my gut it is if you've got eighteen amazing tracks that you really believe in, put out all eighteen. If you've got nine and you try to force another nine, it's not gonna work. I mean, you can make an eighteen album, but I don't think you can mathematically engineer these things.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Certainly, if you've got a twenty track album and people start listening to it from the beginning and they play through the end, that's gonna generate more royalty bearing streams. That's just math. But the songs have to be good enough where they don't skip and they don't tune out, So at the end of the day, it's really like what you have that should dictate the release strategy.
Speaker 1: If you talk to certainly the acts that are less popular, they say they have to make an album. That's the only way they can get press. Otherwise, if they put out a single, they can't get press and they can get no action on streaming. What do you say to that.
Speaker 2: I just don't think there's one way. I mean the traditional like I'm going to drop an album, I'm going to do a press tour around the album. That is a way you can do it that way. But I think there's plenty of examples of a single EP or a single track having its own moment, and that's cool too.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's go back to the artist tools for Spotify. Let's just make it an independent artist because they're more wet behind the years. I am putting on a track on Spotify and I want to have a career. This is not something I did in my basement when I got home from being a CPA. Yeah, I used a distributor. The track is populated on Spotify. What can I do in terms of all the tools you were mentioning earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So to name a few I think we we tend to think about this stuff in the release cycle. So pre release, we have a tool called the countdown page.
Speaker 1: UHHOA let's start at the raw level. I am an artist. Yeah, I have a track that's going to come out on Spotify. Is there a general dashboard that I sign up for?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's the Spotify for Artists tool.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I sign up for that. What's my next step or my next options?
Speaker 2: Well, we try to take you through this journey, so we have recommended steps for you that kind of guide you through. So if I can just take it in a timeline countdown page, first step, so you and that a project is coming and people can see there's like a placeholder pre save it now, there's going to be music here soon. That's an opportunity to gain attention. And in that countdown page you can drip out stuff, so you can do a clip of you in the studio, you can tease you know, twenty seconds of an upcoming song. You can tell a story with video tools, so that's an important part of it. Then there's a bunch of stuff to do to get ready to have your your best audience on release day. So typically we see a good pattern of using discovery Mode on catalog leading up to release day, So warm up your catalog, get people hearing your catalog more so that there's more people who have followed you or are fans of you on release day that it's going to get blasted to. Then on release day, you know, you drop your album. There are a couple free to use tools that are pretty important. One is canvas, so having moving visuals with the track as opposed to just stat at cover art. That's something you can upload in the tool that increases engagement. That's important, show your brand, let people see what you're about a little bit more. And also the playlist pitching tool that I mentioned before. Those are important things to do for sure. And then there's a paid tool on release day called Marquee, which is to announce your new release to people who are listeners or potential listeners. And then after release day to sustain engagement, like discovery Mode on the actual record that you put out, can be a good tool. Coming back and adding maybe more of a deluxe version by adding clips behind each track, telling a story behind the track, what it means, how it was written, things like that. Those are things that can maybe take something that's starting to die off and give it a reason to get reconsidered again and have a little bit of a second life, if that makes sense. So we try to guide people through that whole journey in the Spotify for Artists product, And.
Speaker 1: That's all your Internet. It's not talking to anybody, it's clicking and uploading.
Speaker 2: Everything that I just went through is self serve and accessible to anyone, you know, with there are sometimes minimum viable audience thresholds you need to have, like I was mentioning earlier about discovery Mode, but other than that, it's accessible to anyone in Spotify Artists.
Speaker 1: Okay, So staying on that point, if I'm a new artist, you're not going to be able to push out to my fans pre release information.
Speaker 2: Correct, That's right. So really the best system that we have for brand new artists, like if you're coming out from from zero, is our Fresh Fines franchise. So we have an algorithm that looks at all the listeners that tend to listen to stuff before it really breaks out. They tend to be like way on the beginning of the curve, what are they listening to right now? And then we and then we feature those artists in these Fresh Finds playlists, and we have them for every genre. And this is like the create Diggers. Like, if you want to be a year ahead of who's going to be the cool new indie artist, that's the place to look, and we try to feature those people in Fresh Finds. So if you're building a little bulls on social or like, you know, people are talking about you on the Internet, and then people start listening to you who are ahead of the curve, you get featured there and then a lot of times that builds up enough of a listenership where some of these other tools are accessible to you.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm a brand new artist, theoretically I might be able to be on Fresh Finds. This is all without people involved. You're collecting data from socials. How do you know that I have some traction outside Spotify?
Speaker 2: Well, one of the biggest signals is on Spotify data, but listeners who are just ahead of the curve, so we look at what they're listening to. Now, So what I meant by that was if you're really buzzy on social media, that might get people who are trendsetter listeners to listen to you. And that's the biggest contributing factor to whether you get on the Fresh Fines playlist.
Speaker 1: Can you give us an example of somebody who started on Fresh Fines and then kind of blew up?
Speaker 2: Oh that's a great question. I feel like almost every artist that has has broken over the last you know, ten years, has been that example. So yeah, I mean I think literally almost every name that you could come up with.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, let me use a specific example. Zach Brian put out his albums independently, then went to Warner Brothers. Yep, they get a hold of me, come to the will Turn. I was there every now that I play stadium, So this is at the beginning of the blow up. Everybody there knows every song the album had an X I think fourteen or eighteen tracks. Were you aware of the act that something was going on there? I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know the Zach Bryan like on platform history off the top of my head. We tend to be, yeah, especially our editorial team tends to be very on top of that type of stuff, So I wouldn't be surprised, But I'm not sure what that specific example.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, Chapel Road had been in the marketplace for a while suddenly he's doing these live shows where I'm getting email. Hey, you know, there's a big reaction. Here's some videos cocomminentally, were you seeing this on Spotify? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And Chapel is a great example because I think a lot of people know her story now because of her Grammy win. But she had this up and down journey right where she she put out a couple songs, she was dropped by the label, she went back home, she researched even that first leg of the journey where she put out a couple songs and then was subsequently dropped. She was getting Spotify editorial support even at that phase. And you know, she's been an editorials playlist on Spotify I think continuously for the last seven years. So I think that's actually a great example of we tend to be yeah, ahead of the curve on those kind of things.
Speaker 1: How many people are an editorial.
Speaker 2: Globally, I think it's around one hundred and fifty two hundred something like that.
Speaker 1: Let's just talk domestically, it tens.
Speaker 2: I don't know the number off my head.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I have a new album or I'm a new artist, I go through the release phase. Now, Spotify for artists, What else will it give me? First of all, let's talk very specifically in terms of data. Yeah, what data will I get?
Speaker 2: If anything, we get the feedback that it's too much. But at a high level, you're looking at audience metrics. So how many light listeners, heavy listeners, fans do you have consuming your music?
Speaker 1: Well, just stop right there. How do you break those categories down?
Speaker 2: So light listener is like, you know, maybe I listened to today's top hits, right, and so Chapel Roone is on that. I'm a listener, but I've never searched for Chapel Roone. I've never put her in my playlist. So I would be a light listener, but I would not be a you know, high intent listener, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, take me up the next two levels.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, we have a couple levels of fandom and intent, and part of what we try to do is show you how the different things that you can do can help to move audiences up. So maybe you want to target the people that have only heard you on playlists and have a goal of your campaign to be to have them, you know, save you and listen to you in their library instead. So that's like one level of data that we give you in Spotify for artists is the intent level of the audience, and you can see both total size of the audience, the intent level, the geographic breakdown, the demographic breakdown, all that kind of stuff. Then you also get data on each individual track, So what playlist is it getting added to? You can see Spotify playlists, you can see user playlists, what kind of pickup is it getting, what kind of performance is that track getting, and you can compare that to like, how is this signal single doing compared to my last one, to get a sense for how it's coming out of the gate. Probably the most popular data feature is on release day. We have a live listener account, so you come in and its release day and you can see there's like a little heartbeat that's showing, you know, twenty four nine and sixty four people are listening to this you know artist right now. And you know, people have fun on release day having their phone out and just seeing the number climb and climb and climb, and their baby is born and they get to see the world kind of listening to it in real time. Yeah, So those are you know, some of the bigger categories of data.
Speaker 1: The heartbeat is how many people have listened in that day, or how many listen simultaneous.
Speaker 2: Second like this right now the audio is coming out of their speaker. How many people listening right now to this track?
Speaker 1: Okay, if I'm an artist, can I do that any day? No?
Speaker 2: I think it was for like computational load or something. We had to limit it to the first release week. I think it is, and then you know, so you get that like concurrent right now metric for anything that's released in the last seven days, but not every track in perpetuity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so my track has some traction. People have listened to it on playlists. What can I do as an artist to get higher consumption?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, to drive consumption on Spotify. A lot of the Spotify for Artist tools are kind of purposely designed for that. So, whether it's Discovery mode for more lean back or the native ads for more high intent driving listening, those are great, you know, places to start. If I think more broadly outside of you know, just kind of our first party tools, a lot of what we see people having success with are collaborations, so that you can kind of share across people's different fan base and that tends to work really well. We don't have a tool for that. It's just a lot of times what people do when they're starting to get momentum is you know, start that chain of collabse to sustain.
Speaker 1: We covered it, but just go back. Yeah. Native ads would be paying to put information in front of the listener, and it might be tour dates, merch whatever.
Speaker 2: It's it's for music primarily, So it's you can open the app and on the homepage you might see, you know, new release from this artist that you have some knowledge of, and that's a placement that they've said, I want to pay for a certain amount of clicks on that announcement, and then we try to route it to the most relevant listeners of that you know, who'd be interested in that promotion.
Speaker 1: How much might that cost?
Speaker 2: So it's it's a cost per click model. It's similar to like buying native ads on Facebook or Google. It's in the same ilk.
Speaker 1: As far as putting information tour dates in merch Do I have to pay for that.
Speaker 2: Free to do so? We aggregate as many concert listings as possible through all of our partnerships. We partner with everybody. We want every possible toward a listed on Spotify, and then we partner primarily with Shopify. On the merch side, the industry has increasingly, you know, gotten onto Shopify as the main place to do listings, and all that stuff is listed on people's artist page for free. There's no additional fee for you know, having that on Spotify.
Speaker 1: And is Spotify going to take a cut?
Speaker 2: We have like a pretty standard on the concert side, like the affiliate you know percentage if you click through the link and you and you buy in that session, we get an affiliate revenue for that. It's not a substantial, you know, amount of money for for Spotify. We we mostly do it because it's super important to artists, is their most important revenue stream and something that you know, fans find really interesting. But yeah, that affiliate model exists in the background. And what about merch, I don't think there's any I know, there had been some affiliate conversations in the past. I don't think there's any cut that goes back to Spotify and that.
Speaker 1: To what degree do these work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean concerts has become a huge use case, so tens of millions of people buying concert tickets through Spotify, hundreds of millions of dollars in concert sales driven through Spotify. So yeah, it's become substantial for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, So going back to my dashboard, I can get simultaneous listeners with the heartbeat yep. I can get to what degree are people, you know, casual listeners more active listeners. I can get regional data any other vertical that we haven't covered.
Speaker 2: When you say vertical, what do you mean by that, any other area of information? Yeah, I think you co for most of them.
Speaker 1: Okay, to what degree is the demographic and regional information broken down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I think that it's been helpful because it gives you things like age and gender, so you can have an idea of kind of the segments that you're appealing to. And then from a geo perspective, it's pretty cool because sometimes things happen, you know, in regions that people wouldn't expect for reasons they don't even fully understand. But knowing like oh maybe I could do a Latin American tour, I didn't realize, like, you know, is this big and that part of the world. So I think the fact that we have country level, city level listener data stream data can be directly helpful for routing strategies.
Speaker 1: And to what degree is a broken down demographically.
Speaker 2: Age and gender is the main way And to.
Speaker 1: What degree in your tenure Spotify have you seen domestic us product spread around the world and what walls do you hit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean export in every direction is increasing. Things are just getting less confined to their domestic market. I mean even country that people think of is maybe a more I don't know, Waldoff Country is bigger in the UK than it's ever been. But yeah, like I said before, you know, the majority of artists seeing the majority of their revenues from outside of their home country. And not only that, but in terms of at an artist level, artists that are making hundreds of thousands of dollars, so artists that are generating more than one hundred thousand dollars in royalties from Spotify. Those artists last year recorded in over fifty languages. So the amount of diversity of artists recording in all different languages around the world that are actually having you know, very substantial audiences and payouts on Spotify is way more diverse than it's ever been. I think those numbers are up, you know, five ten x over the last ten years.
Speaker 1: So how big is Latin in the US market? Massive?
Speaker 2: I don't have a number for you, but it's it's huge.
Speaker 1: Well, well, let's talk different genres. Yeah, there's Latin, there's country, there's jazz and classical, but they've historically been to minimus. There's rock, there's hip hop. These genres, what have you seen? What's going up? What's going down?
Speaker 2: I think the interesting thing about rock is it's becoming a lot less monolithic and a lot more cut up. You know, indie, shoegaze, you know, all these different micro genres. I think somewhat in the same story with rap drill music, and I mean maybe this is really a cross genres trend, not so much in country, but just the smaller scenes that are having their own moments and their own communities that do things a different way.
Speaker 1: So, but can you give us an overall trend. I mean, it used to be a rock world. Then there was a hip hop world. You hear people, you know, prior to this Kendrick Drake thing. You hear people saying, oh, it's not as innovative. Then you have questlove the Kendrick Drake saying oh it's the end of hip hop. Are you seeing anything going up and down? I mean, there's gotta be some movement up and down with all these genres. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think in terms of things that are ascendant, certainly K pop, Latin, more recently afropop, these things have been rising a lot, kind of at the expense of everything else. I don't think there's been one big loser to stand out, but as those things grow, they kind of eat into the averages of everything else.
Speaker 1: And let's use K pop as an example that tends to have a wall Yeah, people who were really into it and then people couldn't give a shit. Do you think that K pop and latin are going to start permeating people who traditionally would not be fans for this music.
Speaker 2: I think so. I mean, you know, I think one of the things that the editorial team that Spotify is really proud of, justifiably is they started programming kate pop when it was really walled off and people didn't know exactly what to make of it. But I don't think it is wald off anymore. I think you see stuff you know, seventeen and bts and that this stuff resonates and can chart and do well in the US, like other genres can because I think it takes some time for people to get you know, comfort and familiarity. In the US, maybe around something, but yeah, I think the stuff crosses over and I think that you know, that's that's absolutely true of Latin music. Latin music is massive in every corner of the of the world for sure.
Speaker 1: Going back to the days of MTV, which is not a perfect analogy, yeah, they would literally have changes. They would say, oh, we're not going to program any more hard rock, We're going to program this. Do you guys say, well, you know, we got to vibe on K pop. Let's push it out to the listeners more. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think one of the things that the editorial team tries to focus on, or maybe the things that the algorithm isn't automatically going to pick up, right, Like, the algorithm is good at picking up things that are trending in the numbers, but in terms of things that are picking up speed in the amount that you know, it has a cultural attention or zeitgeist or how much people care, what's interesting, what's got people talking. I think the editorial team, you know, that's where humans shine. The whole system that we've made is tried to be the best combination of man and machine, kind of working in harmony. And that's the piece that I think humans do really well.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the dashboard. Yeah, we have the act that's brand new. We have the superstar. Let's assume I'm more of a journey person. I'm putting out my third or fourth album. Yeah, is it just identical. Well, we have the pregame, we have this or that, or once I'm in the game, are is there more information? Are there more tools that you can help me to grow?
Speaker 2: Certainly, I think that all the tools I don't know. I I think that most of the tools that we have really shine in the in the kind of middle state. If you're a superstar and you're super saturated, certainly our tools are valuable, but they're going to provide less lift overall, you know, because you're already out there so many people know you, maybe people have made up their mind about you. And if you're brand new and we hardly know about you, it's hard for the tools to do their job. Where they really shine is in the middle where you're not overexposed yet we know a little about where you're resonating and can maybe try to help help you, you know, do more. The tools tend to I mean, they're the same if it's your second album or your fourth album. But what's hopefully changed is you know your audience that you can tap it. The people who have been there for you and your first album, your second album or third album. Now those people are there for you to target and try to resurrect and be on the next part of the journey with you.
Speaker 1: I know it's not your purview exactly, but the editorial they're human beings and people would certainly believe someone with an ongoing relationship with an editorial person is going to get their music in playlist.
Speaker 2: Can you say more and what you mean by that?
Speaker 1: Okay, Hey, this is traditional with distribution. I have a steady stream of product. If you have a steady stream of product, there's more of a reason to have an ongoing relationship with someone. I have a steady stream of product, a certain amount has been successful. I find out who is the programmer in my genre. Okay, I take him to dinner, I send him some music, I send him a birthday card, ask him about his wife, and then I say I have a new release. Wouldn't you know just on a human level, people would say that person would tend to play that record or play list that record.
Speaker 2: I see what you're getting at. I think, first of all, I want to be clear, there's a very rigorous code of conduct. You mentioned a birthday gift. I think at some point in that sequence gifts favors not allowed fireable offenses at Spotify. So we take it super seriously. Anything that edges on you know, bribery, this stuff we take super seriously. But the broader point you're making about like, Okay, this is an established manager. They've successfully recognized ten acts, and they say this next one is just like their first ten, and this next one is going to be really good. That's a signal for sure. I don't actually think it even matters whether you get the phone call from someone, if you just look up online. This is the team they have around them. I think it's good for the editorial team to notice that and take that into account. It's like, oh, okay, well that's part of the full story that I'm seeing around this artist. These people think they're going to be great, They're going to have the you know, creative support of those people. I think that's legitimate as a signal, you know, and you can never take out all bias from a system. I think we've done a really good job of trying to mitigate it every possible place we can and have a level playing field. But I take your point that it's never a perfectly flat playing field. At the end of the day, the thing that matters the most is the music comes out. And if you try it in new boots, which is like the feeder playlist to hot country, and it's not performing, if it's been there for four days and it's not performing, all that other stuff that you took into account, it doesn't really matter anymore. The fans have decided now, right so you can't keep you know, forcing it. And so I think that's the biggest difference between the terrestrial radio era and this era that we're in right now, is the fans give you signal very quickly, and they walk with their feet and you know, they decide. So that's the ultimate remover of bias.
Speaker 1: Tell me more about the code of ethics.
Speaker 2: You know, when you take the job, you agree to not going to do any of these things, and if I do them, I know that means I lose my job.
Speaker 1: So they're all, oh, yeah, yeah, what are some of those things? If I take you to dinner, that's not a code of ethics violation.
Speaker 2: I think it is. I'll look up. I mean, I I think we make sure we were splitting the bill or we're taking people out.
Speaker 1: You know, that's important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't want to do that, so.
Speaker 1: I give you a ticket to the show. Is that a code of ethics violation?
Speaker 2: Well, now you're gonna quiz me on all the things. Let me let me you know, like go back.
Speaker 1: Hey, if you can't remember, that's okay. But you know, it's like if you look for work for a major newspaper, they paid for their tickets. Is it that strict at Spotify?
Speaker 2: I know it is very strict. I like, you know, I don't remember the exact details of this concert ticket thing or whatever. I mean some of the you know, we we want our people to go to shows, right, We want them to see the acts live, to contribute, but like, yeah, we don't want it to be through a favor. We want them to go, you know, on Spotify's dime. These are things that are important, and like I said, i'm the details, I'm I'll look into. But I know that this has been a big point of emphasis and something that isn't just theoretical. It's affected, you know, employment, and we take super seriously.
Speaker 1: Okay, a complaint that I get, and you know, you and me are in the same world. There are people going to complain. People say, oh, I had my track on Spotify, I had my alm on Spotify. Yeah, and they took it down because they thought it was spam. And I put in this money for this and that literally got that email yesterday. What would you say to that person.
Speaker 2: I feel so bad for artists who are in this situation. And the reason I feel bad for them is because if you look at these marketing sites, they are so predatory. Like these marketing sites, they're like, you know, put in one hundred dollars and we'll get you ten thousand totally organic bot free streams, which is obviously total bs. There's no such thing as that. But if you fall for that scam and you pay one hundred dollars and you genuinely think, oh, they said it's bop free. I'm doing this all on the up and up, this is great, you know. The truth is is that then they're getting a bunch of bots to stream your song, and we take that extremely seriously. We catch it very accurately. We immediately remove all royalties paid out so we don't pay for fraudulent streams. We remove the play counts, we remove the monthly listener accounts, and we send notifications to the distributor, so we say, hey, distributor, this thing is getting bodied. And then if it's getting bodied really bad, we charge the distributor a fee because we want to incentivize them to say, don't keep letting this person do that. You need to maybe charge them a fee, Maybe you need to give them a strike. You need to ultimately, you know, remove it if they keep doing it over and over again. So we take it super seriously. We try to make sure that there are as few as possible, like wrongly accused. No system is perfect. I think our system is very very good. But this, this whole you know, streaming fraud thing is a scourge on the industry and something we try to combat as in every way that we can.
Speaker 1: So where are you from?
Speaker 2: Like where did I grow up? Yeah, grew up near new Haven, Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Oh wait wait, I'm from Connecticut where.
Speaker 2: I grew up in Cheshire and then Madison.
Speaker 1: And what did your parents do for a living?
Speaker 2: Nothing to do with what I do. They were both medical doctors, so I ran the other way.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there are medical doctors. How many kids in the family, Me and my older brother? And what your older brother do?
Speaker 2: He's at Google. I've been a Spotify fourteen years. He's been at Google like seventeen eighteen years. So we're both crazy lifirst.
Speaker 1: Do you have a close relationship.
Speaker 2: I do, Yeah, love my brother.
Speaker 1: I mean the fact that he's at a tech company, You're in a music tech company. Is there anything in the background that would predict that.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. He's more on the sales side. I'm more on the product side. But you know, my we came out it totally different ways. I've been obsessed with music my whole life. I started playing guitar and piano from a very young age. I had delusions of being a performer myself, I you know, dismissed those thought. I wanted to be a producer. Wrote my college thesis on how the music industry should escape from napster. I mean, I've been kind of like a single track mind about you know, the music ecosystem and the music business and how things could work better for artists and fans. My whole life been obsessed with it. That's my whole journey. That's what I've been always most interested in, and that's really the way I came to Spotify, not through tech but more through music.
Speaker 1: So how serious a musician were you?
Speaker 2: I was like recording my own stuff in high school and college and doing you know, a couple like small gigs here and there, but nothing serious. I learned pretty quickly that I was that was not going to be my superpower.
Speaker 1: How did you learn?
Speaker 2: You know, like performing wasn't like fun for me. I was just worried about it going bad. I wasn't enjoying going well. And I just I, like, you know, I wasn't great. I was good. I was just I wasn't great. I could tell that there were other people that were going to be offering way more in the world in terms of recording and performing music than I was going to.
Speaker 1: So you were like a solo actor? There were bands?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a couple of people I were, you know, just duos, trios that we were recording with in high school and college.
Speaker 1: And where'd you go to college?
Speaker 2: At Penn in Philly?
Speaker 1: Okay, you go to college at the height of the dapster era.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: So what was it like being in college during Napster? Yeah? It was wild.
Speaker 2: I mean I remember getting to the dorm and having one of the ras or you know, the older kids that tell you what to do, being like, this is the server you connect to to see everybody else's hard drives, and this is how we all share our music together. It was like part of like, you know, a new student orientation is like this is how the piracy is going to work. So you just you know, it was a totally different you know, era and world at that point. And but you know, what I will say is the social music discovery through that and being at college and seeing like, you know, you're sitting in high school with your own playlist and then you get to college and you see everybody else's place. Oh you're into that and you're into that. It was one of the most exciting times for me as a music fan, just to see that, even though like the business side of it was totally broken. Definitely took some inspiration from that.
Speaker 1: So what music were you're listening to? Oh?
Speaker 2: Everything? But I grew up being mostly into jazz, into country, indie rock, classic rock, Yeah, everything.
Speaker 1: And you major in what in college.
Speaker 2: In Anneburg they call it communication, but it's basically like media industry stuff and music minor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what did your thesis say?
Speaker 2: It was actually more pessimistic than it turned out to be. I thought people were gonna need to be like more altruistic and be gifting artists and more like Patreon kind of vibes. You know, the fact that products were made that were actually better than piracy, that got people to pay because they got something from it, not because of the purity of their hearts. I think is a much better evolution and a much bigger business for everyone to be in. But I was, yeah, I was looking at what are other ways that businesses have monetized freely available goods like water to bottled water and you know these kind of things, and how do you how do you do that?
Speaker 1: So why do you think you were wrong?
Speaker 2: Well, so what I what I had conviction in was you need to meet consumers where they are. Every young person had the assumption music is free. So if you put a paywall in front of people, you lost them already. There has to be a free tier to get people to pay. So my first, like real job was at LimeWire where they were trying to build. My job was to build a licensed MP three store, and we were going to try to migrate people from file sharing into a licensed subscription. And that was one idea of how we could migrate people from like meet them where they are, meet them with free, get them moved over. If I did that so exceptionally well, the free to paid funnel that's been built by getting people to come in and discover and invest in their library and then get so invested that they want to remove the ads, and they want to play on demand, and they want to convert to premium. It just works so incredibly well to take a population of the world that had no intention of being a paid music subscriber now to a place where they, of course I would never cancel that subscription. And it's all been through crafting a really good, you know, product experience, I think.
Speaker 1: And you know what the churn rate is, Oh, it's very low.
Speaker 2: I mean, especially on premium, you know, low, low single digits.
Speaker 1: Okay, you graduate from college, your first job is with LimeWire.
Speaker 2: Well, let's see, I was in college, so when I wanted to be a producer, I first worked at recording studios and I thought I was going to like, you know, get a turn on the pro tool set up, and I was you know, rolling mike cable and taking out trash. So it was like, Okay, that's not going to be the route for me. And then the big turning point for me was an internship I had at EMI. So I got to be the intern for summer for Digital Biz Dev for EMI when they were a major label, and I met every single person in two thousand and seven that wanted to license EMI, Spiral Frog and all the ideas that people had. You know, Amazon was going DRM free, MP three's, you know, everyone's trying to figure it out. And one of the companies that I met with that summer was LimeWire and they were like, we have one hundred million monthly active users. We're trying to get them onto a license thing. And I was like this, this I can believe might work. So I was there for three three or four years. That's where I learned you know, product and software, and we made a run at it. We built a product that would have been competitive Spotify. There were some progressive people in the industry that like the idea of migrating user from from Limeware to that, but ultimately, you know, it got shut down and then Spotify decided it wanted to start a US office and had heard that you know, I and a couple other folks were you know, trying to make this thing happen in Limeware and reach out, and that's where we started talking about starting the US team for Spotify.
Speaker 1: They found you. Yeah, okay, so what year do you start working for Spotify?
Speaker 2: February twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what was your job then?
Speaker 2: In the beginning, it was building out a US product team. So the whole company was, you know, one hundred and fifty folks, mostly in Sweden at that time, but we wanted to have a tech team in the US, and initially we were building our you know, we decided to get into recommendation. Spotify had never done recommendation prior to that. We decided to build our own recommendation features up a team to do that. We were also building the the ad support of the free tier, how to run ads and also how to kind of construct the freemium model, what you get for free, what you need to you know, get by converting. Those were some of the initial things that I was accountable for when it was the US team.
Speaker 1: And how did you move up the ladder to where you are now.
Speaker 2: Well, probably the biggest change that happened was Daniel. I think it was probably twenty fifteen or something. Daniel, our CEO, said, we really need to have a creator team. We really thought of ourselves as we license music and then we have a consumer product. You know, we didn't have we didn't have the idea of a of a creator team back then. But at that time, like if you think the misconceptions in the industry today are bad, I mean then it was like no artist knew whether they had ten streams on Spotify or a million streams, Like it was a total black box and we really needed to build a bridge. And so he asked me, I had like a team of I don't know, one hundred and two hundred folks, and he was like, yeah, I want you to give all that up and start this new thing. It'll just be you in the beginning and build up some you know, figure out what we should do on the creator side. And that kind of felt daunting or and exciting at the time, but that was kind of a big turning point. Because everything that I've done since then, building out Spotify for artists are business on the supply facing side, and then now you know, leading the music vertical more broadly is all kind of built on getting really close to the artist's side, what they need, what they want more out of Spotify. That's, you know, really what I've been focused on for the last ten years.
Speaker 1: Do you have stock?
Speaker 2: You know, like all employees, you get you know, stock as part of your package.
Speaker 1: Well, when public, do you already have an interest? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean even from the beginning when because I joined what seven eight years before we went public?
Speaker 1: So and have you sold any stock?
Speaker 2: I'm not sharing my you know, personal uh, you know, financial stuff, but I've sold some of hold some Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I mean it launched, yeah, went down ultimately, and now it's through the roof.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: You know, is this like a traditional startup if you wanted to quit your job, would you have to continue to work?
Speaker 2: I mean, look, in the grand scheme of things, like the success I've had is any much greater than anything I was ever hoping for. Like I'm you know, I consider myself very lucky in that way. I am obsessed with what I do. I love what we're doing. I feel really passionate about what I'm doing. That's the primary, you know, reason that I do what I do for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So what are the opportunities left for you in Spotify?
Speaker 2: Well, look, I go back to I think there's two big things in terms of our overall mission to grow. You know, one of the things I love about this Spotify, but streaming in general, the incentives are so aligned. We want to grow a revenue, and every time we grow revenue, two thirds of that goes to rights holders. So a lot can be made of disputes in the industry, but by and large, what's good for us is good for the industry. That is just true. And as we go about trying to grow the pie together. The two big things that stand out to me is one what I said before, we have five hundred six five hundred and six hundred million people paying for a music subscription around the world. That's awesome. I don't think anyone thought we'd get there. But there's billions of people in the world, and we need to figure out how we're going to adjust the offering and the freemium funnel and the different skews to get everyone in the world paying for music. So I think that's a really fun opportunity. And then the second one is is kind of breaking out of the one size fits all. I think for the vast, vast majority of people paying one hundred and twenty dollars a year ish I'm rounding in a music subscription raises their total amount of spend because they wouldn't have spent one hundred and twenty dollars, you know, in a previous era. But for some the biggest super fans, that's under optimizing, like they would be willing to spend more and they're more passionate about music, and there's opportunities to make sure that there's more points along the supply demand curve where people can you know, get a more valuable service and drive more revenue to the industry in return. So I think both of those things are huge opportunities.
Speaker 1: Okay, just go because it has been such you know, a talking point. Yeah, other than higher quality music which Amazon and Apple bake in for the same price, what am I going to from my additional dollars?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, let's let's talk about high fidelity music. So if you go back and in the recent history of the last few years. I don't think there's any evidence that hi fi is something that gets more people in the boat. If you don't have a music subscription at all. Is adding high fi going to be the thing that gets you over the hump to say, oh, now I want a music subscription. I don't think so. I haven't seen any evidence of that. So I think it's a pretty big missed opportunity to just chuck it in premium. I think that it under leverages what it can do for the industry because really it's the most leaned in, passionate people who care about that, and I think you have to charge more. So I don't take for granted that the status quo as it exists today will exist or should exist in that way. But then, you know, to answer your question beyond that, I think that you know, if you think about what Spotify is today compared to what it was ten years ago, we've added tons of stuff that probably appeals more to you know, big fans rather than casual listeners. And we've got a road map of you know, twenty thirty forty things that are going to be in that category rolling forward. So I think there's going to be an opportunity to always have a version that's you know, best in class and appeals to the most ardent fans, while the vast majority of people are totally satisfied with you know, the proposition they get on premium.
Speaker 1: What percentage of people would upgrade to this higher level for you to be satisfied for the company to be honest.
Speaker 2: Fine, I don't know. It's all upside, So I don't think there needs to be a certain number to be satisfied. It's it's it's pure incremental, both for us and for everyone in the industry.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, if you want to go deeper, Spotify stock is going way up. Analysis says, you know, there's constant innovation. You look at the labels, their stock has been somewhat morribn because they say, well, you know, there's no innovation, so they're banking on this additional tier. Lucy Grange is going on and on, We're going to tap into the super fan. Okay, they're not. I mean, yes, on Netflix you can pay extra for four K Okay, but on most of these other streaming services you pay maybe at you know, compared to music streaming, television is so fuck up and antiquated My point is, I cannot think of a similar business. We're the main product is not what you're upgrading. We're of a significant you know. Listen, I just got to bug up my rear end about this because they've been saying this to analysts. You know, title never turned into anything. You know, originally it was a Norwegian company that was something different whatever they were incompetent. So I subscribe to my music service for the music unless you're gonna let me meet the act or you get me better concert tickets. You know, what is it you're gonna give me.
Speaker 2: I think you're gonna like it. We'll see you. We'll talk in a year and we'll see if you like it. But I think look, in a lot of ways, we've already started on the journey. Like you know, to your point, with family plans, you have more parental controls, you have more accounts. We added audio books as an additional value proposition. It's not like this is a brand new, you know idea. We have reps under our belt for you know, how to version the skews. I'm you know, I'm very optimistic that there'll be opportunity to grow and change.
Speaker 1: But let's just say you know, we're all very familiar with the different things et SAT round audiobooks don't take from the royalty stream, and then the recent thing of you know, lowering royalties overall through other things. Let's leave all that aside. I'm a music fan. You want me to pay an additional ten dollars other than a higher quality sound blue skyet. I can't think of anything you can give me the way. I'm going to say to a significant number of people, that's better because it's about the music. We've already established that the record companies don't want exclusives, So yeah, you don't want to get into a war of you can listen to it before everybody else. That'll be a disaster. As I say, your point of Spotify, it's total upside. I get it, okay, but the record industry is banking on this, okay, and so far they've filled in the blanks not at all. They say, well, you don't higher quality stream and then nothing, we're gonna pay the superfans. I was that person. You know, I'm not paying to begin with. About one hundred and twenty dollars a year is an incredible bargain relative to what I used to spend on music. But I was buying music. That was it. In addition, if I was a big music fan, I knew we could get the cheapest records. Yeah, I might go for the contract tickets. I don't know where else in the ecosystem there there's a spot for me to give it. You're gonna give me more services that doesn't speak to the music. The US, the big super fan, they know what they want to listen to. You're gonna give me audio bunk. You can give me a blowjob whatever. It's got nothing to do with the music.
Speaker 2: Well, look like I said, I mean, we're gonna do it our own way. I'm sure that there's gonna be twists and turns along the way. And then you'll be the judge. I'll read your letter and we'll see what you think.
Speaker 1: Okay, before I leave you, Oh, Bob.
Speaker 2: Hold on one second. You earlier said something I have to react to because I'm too easily triggered. You said audio books recent thing, we lowered the royalty rate. I just want to be clear. Our payouts have only gone up every year they've gone up. There has not been a lowering of our Wait.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, wait wait wait, audio books Spotify said would not affect music royalties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's taken out of a different different.
Speaker 1: But this is all public information. Spotify is going to a bundle model such that less of the subscription price would go to music royalties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so can I expand on that?
Speaker 1: You got the platform, go for it?
Speaker 2: Okay, so total royalties going up? You're right that with bundles the royalty rate does go down. Of course it needs to because you need to accommodate at putting other things in bundle. But let me explain how we got here. So, as you well know, statutory rates in the US, these are heavily negotiated things every four years or so. We had phono records for We settled in twenty twenty two after a long negotiation about how these new rates, these new statutory rates in the US should work. And if you go back to the press release that announced that deal in twenty twenty two, it talked about two things. Publishers were getting the headline rate increase that they were looking for, and the streaming services were getting the bundle accommodations to be able to have lower to rate for services that were a bundle. The deal was celebrated by both sides. Bundles are important. The reason bundles are important is because there's a lot of people like you and me that would gladly pay for a pure play music subscription, but when we want to get the world to pay for music, there's a lot of people who need maybe a couple other things to get interested. The vast majority of YouTube music subscribers are to YouTube Premium that includes music and ad for YouTube. The vast, vast majority of Amazon subscribers are the kind that get music bundled with Prime and all the other stuff that comes with Prime, not the pure play music subscription. Apple's got the Apple one thing with music and you know eight other things. So this is important to grow the pie. Spotify last year or recently we added audiobooks. That was a big move. It helped us grow revenue, it helped us convert better, It added more value to the subscription so we could get more people in the boat and grow the pie. And because of that, Spotify, just like YouTube with YouTube Premium and Amazon with Prime, it became a bundle in the same way, and so we were on the bundle rate, which is a lower royalty rate for on the publishing side, than the headline rate that was challenged in court. The judge looked at it, dismissed the lawsuit with prejudice, and said, Spotify is doing exactly what the deal was as negotiated. They're paying exactly as you agreed to pay in this deal. So because of that, the facts are pretty clear about what happened beginning, middle, and end. That being said, we don't want to be focused on arguing about the past and a deal we did in twenty twenty two. We want to figure out how to grow the pie moving forward. So the deals we did recently with Warner and Universal on the publishing side out us to say, yeah, let's have the rates go up on the publishing side, even four bundles. But in coordination with that, let's have Spotify get rights that it needs to innovate and have new propositions and things that are going to help us grow the pie in other ways. And that's been great. So now we can put this you know, accounting dispute behind us with Universal and Warner, and now that that template is there, I'm very optimistic that we can have that same you know thing roll out across the industry. But I just wanted to be clear that yes, the royalty rate is lower for the bundle products than it is for the pure play products, but in terms of total payouts to publishers, they went up more than ten percent last year. They didn't go down because of that royalty rate. Our total payouts to publishers have gone up every year, and last year was no exception. So I just wanted to make sure that that wasn't, you know, lost in the in the soup.
Speaker 1: You get the last word, Charlie. I want to thank you for taking this time with my audience, been very informative.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for having me as a present.
Speaker 1: Till next time. This is Bob LOVESI