Speaker 1: I can't say enough about using say Wikipedia to look at the past, like the presidential election of twenty twenty. Joining us now a congressman from a safe state for Republicans, Arkansas. Frenchfield joins us quickly, hearing so thank you so much for stopping by.
Speaker 2: Tom.
Speaker 3: Great to be with you, the congressman.
Speaker 1: You know, I see the percentages, and I think there's various Trump voters in Arkansas this morning.
Speaker 3: Now out there a really ugly weekend.
Speaker 1: I think Ian Bremer has a president saying he's going to jail Democrats don't.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get into the silliness.
Speaker 2: I thought you were talking about the Osu razorbag game.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, that was painful to me.
Speaker 1: But but you know, french I want to talk about the different flavors of Republicans and how they're adapting to the rhetoric of their candidate into this debate.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's important to know that I think, in my view, President Trump stands for the the mainstream of Republican thought on economics, lower regulatory costs, lower taxes that promote economic growth, and that he uses tariffs. In his speech, he was off on it in a big way. Yesterday as a cudgel to bring countries that do not have fair trading practice with the US or lack market access for US products and services to the table. But it's I mean rhetorically, it's his top international economic issue, which is you could say, inconsistent with long term Republican economic philosophy, but not when you look back, say at the Reagan administration.
Speaker 1: I mean the fact is the news of the week, and then Paul the New York Times Siena pol I mean, I think a lot of people are like, Wow, this guy still has a popular vote and clearly electoral vote momentum going. Does he move to the middle with a rhetoric I'm seeing out there.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so. I don't think I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No. I think he and this has been very consistent I think with President Trump. I mean, he sticks with this messaging that he has, that he believes so strongly in, and I don't see him moving it. And I don't you know, I think some would argue that Vice President Harris is moving to the middle with some of her proposals, but they're like from the most radical left fringe to slightly less left, not per se to the middle. She uses a lot of press release buzzwords, you know, childcare, lowering taxes for working families, and things like that, but when you get into the details, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I would expect to hear from both candidates tomorrow and this debate because it may be the only debate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is not good. I support, you know, obviously more debates, but with early voting way we have it in our country now, you know that both campaigns have to get on with it. And I think obviously that President Trump probably wishes that he had had a later debate with President Biden and make that knockout punch much later.
Speaker 1: But if I go to eighty seven and I go up Highway sixty five, I go past Twin Groves, Damascus, this is your territory. Are they going to turn out for Trump?
Speaker 2: They're going to turn out for Trump in Damascus, Arkansas and Faulkner County. I mean Trump. You see Trump signs and Trump manors up and down that highway and across my district, particularly in the rural areas. Trump for them speaks about this issue of more opportunity for manufacturing jobs working people in America, and that He's got their back and that is a message that delivers you.
Speaker 1: What would be your question to Vice President Harris in this debate is a Republican away from the magatone?
Speaker 2: Do you support policies that actually promote economic growth in cutting regulatory expenses? And what is the right corporate tax rate? And do you think that investments deserve a between twenty eight and forty four percent capital gains tax rate? And ask her to explain what an unrealized gain is actually. I'd like to know her if she understand is that math?
Speaker 3: So what do you expect? What would you think Vice President Harrison needs to do at her debate tomorrow?
Speaker 1: What does she need to do well?
Speaker 2: I think you're right, Paul, thinking she needs to look like she's Centrists, that she's not Bernie Sanders, that she's somewhere to the far right of Bernie Sanders, that she is smart and she's up on the issues, and that she's got a sense of humor, but looks presidential. I think that's a big I think it's a big lift for her, But I think that's the main issue for her.
Speaker 1: Was the major mistake of Biden from Sea to Shining Sea. Forget about Paul the state's New York, Massachusetts Illinois where President Biden was getting sixty seventy percent of whatever, What was the major mistake as he couldn't run to the center, that he ran to the left.
Speaker 2: I think I think President Biden said I'm going to be a better voice. I'm not Trump, and that I would be. I'm a common sense, practical guy from Scranton. But he governed as if he were Bernie Sanders, and that left agenda of Elizabeth Warren Bernie Sanders. And he didn't make any reach to the center. Actually, maybe you could say he did in the bipartisan infrastruction okay, but not much.
Speaker 1: The core question is a president. When you look at the language of President Trump on Twitter, people will take him verbatim what he's saying. I'm gonna be honest, it's to the edge of incoherent.
Speaker 3: Can he move?
Speaker 1: Does he have the ability to move to the middle of the GOP or is he just gonna stay for four years?
Speaker 2: I'm mega, I think he's gonna stay where he is. I mean, I think that's the that's the Trump. If that's Trump, so.
Speaker 1: I mean that's Trump is at the Republican Party serious.
Speaker 2: Well, look, you let me go back and say though on regulatory budget. Having Elon Musk had a commission to use AI and technology and blockchain to reform the federal government. That's a good idea. That's a Peter Grace good idea. Having lower taxes that don't penalize investment in this country penalized.
Speaker 1: Those are okay, And I mean Arkansas can't play football, But you really want to.
Speaker 3: Get rid of the Department of Education.
Speaker 2: I think Republicans have campaigned on removing the Department of Education since Jimmy Carter created.
Speaker 3: Fair Fair french Hill. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Great to be with you, look forward to seeing you.
Speaker 3: See you again post debate