Speaker 1: It is Thursday, December twenty First, this is Jackuars Happy Hour. Jaguars Happy Hour is presented by the Saint John's River Water Management District and now a guy who claims to be on the Nice List, but we're all pretty sure it's just an allergic reaction to Cole J. P.
Speaker 2: Chapard and welcome in. It is Jaguars Happy Hour on this Thursday, Week sixteen. The Jaguars and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers coming up Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, the site Christmas Eve. A battle of first place teams or teams tied for first place and their respective divisions. Of course, the Jaguars are three way tie in the AFC South. They have the tiebreakers and lead the way. The Buccaneers one of two teams tied at the top of the NFC South. The Jags trying to stop a three games slide this week on the road, and we'll hear from the head coach, Doug Peterson, coming up by a clock in studio with us on the Jaguars Radio Network on the Doug Peterson Show. That's about an hour away. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving. We're on ten to XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube JP Shadrick with Jeff Logman. Good afternoon, Longs. How are you afternoon? Is that zucchini bread on the desk? It is? I have saved one piece for myself. I'm glad you got in there because everybody else was taking it at all. No, I know, I know you got that time of year. I mean you're bringing in, you know, bake goods like there was chili last week. It's like that the weather. I didn't make any of it. I'm aware. My my wife, Tara, my lovely wife, made it for everybody here, lovely so and the zucchini bread is kill. What was that time of year? I mean, how many pieces of you have had? One and a half far? You didn't say how big the one and a half were, buts and how you carve it up? I suppose so you had a lot. Well, you've had more than I had.
Speaker 1: I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: I know all about it. That's my second piece right there. I haven't touched it yet. You know, you can slice up a cake a lot of different ways, and you can slice up a football team a lot of different ways. Right now, this Jaguars team has lost three different weeks in a row, and they've done a lot of things to do that to themselves. And that's priority number one this week once you get on the field. Now, obviously, the priority number one before the game gets here is the hell of the quarterback? What's going on with Trevor Lawrence. He's still in the protocol, was not out of the practice field today. Let's see what happens moving ahead. But this is one you're looking out for every single day. Yeah, I don't. I mean, obviously, the protocol, the concussion protocol is I don't want to say it's secretive, but it's very private, and so we're not gonna know until there is news to announce. We're not gonna get an update on where he's at, what he's doing, or anything of that nature. So we just got to kind of wait and see. And I think that pulls a little bit of a question mark into if you're the head coach, what do you do if you're if you have a player starting quarterback in the concussion protocol and he doesn't practice Wednesday, he doesn't practice Thursday, and then if he practices Friday, or if he doesn't practice Friday, but they'll say he doesn't practice Friday, gets cleared on Saturday. What do you do? You know? I think it's a great question. Well, I think part of the return to play protocol is that you have to be on the field at some point. Well you have to be on the field at something that would be able to make sure that you know things are okay. You know. Does he get on the field tomorrow? I don't know. I think he probably has to to be qualified if he's going to play, that's right. I mean, I think there's only been one player in the National Football League this year who win in the concussion protocol following a game and then played the next week, I believe, And I think that'll Brock Party, Yeah, San Francisco. So it's not like it happens very often. And then also you have a height and awareness a little bit just because of what's going on with CJ. Stroud, who looks like he's going to be missing his second consecutive game. It was reported that he may have had a concussion prior to the one that he sustained week and a half ago, So what are the optics of that, you know? And I think that always plays into some of the things that happened in the National Football League when you're dealing with high profile positions like the quarterback. So don't know what's going to happen with that. But the reality is that, let's say whoever's playing quarterback, Now, you've got a different wide receiving corps. You know Jay Jones, Yeah, is clearly hampered by hamstring. Wasn't able to finish the game the other day. I would be shocked if he's able to go. I haven't seen him out there in the little media time we've been out there this week, so he probably will not play. I'm guessing there. And then all of a sudden, no, Christian Kirk knows a Jones. Those are two of your most trusted receiving options for your quarterback, and that really for any quarterbacks. Now, who's next? Tim Jones, Parker Washington Parker Washington, Well, he has already been up because of Christian Kirk. So now is it Elijah Cooks? Is it more of a role for Jamal Agnew who had a wonderful game by the way this past week. I mean, do you lean more on Evan in the outside kind of route game. Where's Brenton Strange at Yeah, he's been injured as well, so yeah, there's a lot of questions. And the one good thing about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers they seem to have the same kind of problem at home that the Jaguars have had. Now they're five hundred at home, but their output hasn't been particularly strong as an offense when they've been at home, So hopefully Baker Mayfield is a little off the market home once again compared to what he has been on the road. And obviously this past game he was lights out in Green Bay. The only the only opposing quarterback to ever go in there and to have a perfect quarterback rating. Aaron Rodgers had one or two of them, I think while he was there and watching the film. He was really good. I mean, quick, decisive, threw the ball in some incredibly tight windows. But it's took on me be a good football game. Now they won three in a row, they're the four seed in the NFC, leading their division, and got New Orleans nipping at their heels. Okay, the Jaguars, same kind of deal number four in the conference leading their division with Indy and Houston nipping at their heels. I mean, if you're looking at games to watch with a lot at steak, I mean, besides watching San Francisco and Baltimore, which is a tremendous game this week, it's important Christmas Night, I believe. I think the one of the big games of the weekend is gonna be Jaguars Tampa. I mean not from a national standpoint, but from a the meaning of the game and the impact that it has in the playoff race in each conference. You're right, Yeah, Ravens Niners. Is Christmas Night the last game on Monday Night, but three games on Christmas Day that would sting plan on Christmas Day. But boy, that's what what does we come the the NBA? Now, I thought the NBA will be I think they have six games on Christmas Day and the Radians are going to be pro. But because the NFL is now on Christmas Day, sorry, NBA move over a little bit. They certainly have so, especially since it's been on a weekend the last or around a weekend the last couple of Yeah, but not on a weekend that's Monday. Yeah, it's either way, the Jaguars trying to get back on track and do it on the road and the offense trying to find their way around the quarterback thing this week? How different would it feel if Bethard is actually out there? We've asked this a couple of times this year, right with the knee injury going to the Thursday night and Trevor was a game time decision at the Superdome, decided to play, was the leading rusher then and Cleveland a couple weeks ago high ankle sprain and that felt better toward the end of the week actually, and then he went out there. They did the kind of the game day thing, but he was going to play, and he played. And so this is different though because it's above the shoulders. So how different though, would it be if Bethard is called upon to finally play? Well? Very different here here's the one thing though, I don't think anything changes or would change with the offense. You know, interesting CJ had his press conference yesterday because you know, they typically have coach quarterback on a Wednesday, and since Trevor is unavailable, CJ ended up doing that and he talked and talked openly about how Trevor and him like a lot of the same things, which means to me that you're not going to have to change the offense for a CJ. Bethert. You're going to run it as you would normally run it. And that's exactly what you want in a backup. You don't want to have a backup that has a wildly different style or way of playing that position because you don't want to change the whole offense if need be. I mean, you don't have time to do that if all of a sudden you have an injury during a game. So CJ and Trevor are kind of in aligned is what they like, what they like to do, and what they can do. So that's a positive from that standpoint. The question mark that I have is that, you know, where's the team's mindset. You know, if all of a sudden, now this week, okay, CJ's taking all the reps and all of a sudden, Trevor, all of a sudden can play, what does that do to the football team. We saw that kind of happen at Cleveland, and the team didn't exactly come out on fire. They didn't rally around Trevor in that game. If he plays in this game, Okay, and that's a big if. If he plays in this game, that offensive line had better have one hell of a game. I'm just telling you, because if your quarterback was in a concussion protocol, you better block your rear end off and you better find a way to take pressure off of him from having to be the man because right now, now, this offense is very Trevor centric, and there really is not anything taking pressure off of him in this offense right now because of the offenses inability to run the football effectively for a number of weeks. Now, Jaguars Happy How I brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District and Jack's fans want customized Jack's furniture for your home. Check out zipchair dot com and browse all customizable options zip Chair Furniture for fans. We're on ten to XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. And to that offensive line, you know, it's been on the left side, especially as of late, a little bit of a revolving door, some guys coming and going out of the lineup, and you know, moving ahead, now, the status of that left side how'd they come out of last week's game. I think they came out Okay. I give gold stars to Walker Little and those clan. Yeah, gold stars, Yeah, gold stars for them, because they got it. They goted it out. I mean clearly. When you watch the film, you could see many times because you know, when you watch a game live, your eyes are following the ball, so you're not watching a lot of other parts of the of the game. When you go back and you watch it on the film and you sit there and you review it, and you watch a lot of the players and individual performances, then you get to see where Walker Little clearly was not one hundred percent Ezra was clearly not one hundred percent to where they were at times limping to get to the huddle for the next play. So give them credit. They toughed it out, they fought through it and you know, try to help this team get a win and didn't get to win. But these guys got it out. So I think this week they'll be a little bit better and then next week you possibly get Cam Robinson back. Right, So now the window opens, I think it can you know, if it happens, So there's a possibility there of getting a little bit more healthy. But give them credit and then I think they'll be better this week. But this week presents its own set of challenges. And you hope that Ezra's better this week, and you hope that you get a better performance out of your center fortner because Videvea for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers is a big dude, three hundred and fifty pounds of man, and he's arguably the best nose tackle in football. Seriously, he's arguably the best tackle nose tackle in football. He's only six four, three forty seven logs. The only thing that's that, if there's one saving grace about Vitavea, his stamina is not of of the nature that he plays every down. He's not playing one hundred percent of the defensive snaps, is what you're saying. No, at three hundred and fifty pounds every now and again, he's got to come off and get some oxygen and get some water, you know. So he doesn't play one hundred percent of the downs. If he did, oh my gosh, And if he had the stamina, he'd be a he'd be a train wreck. But fortunately he doesn't play every game. But you gotta block that guy first and four interior. Yeah, he's an interior guy. Who's he lining up over Now he's guards and guards and center. Okay, that's where he he's going to be out and he's incredibly strong when he decides to throw people. He's a man among boys. That's Travis Eazi and Jr. What stood out about the the Bucks defense, especially in the front seventh that's the first thing you said, Vita Vella. I mean, he's big, stands out in a big way. He's big. Now, they're not great on because they run kind of a three to four system. The ends are not great. One of them's a first round pick, Klajah Cansi from Pittsburgh. I think they try to capture a little bit of Aaron Aaron Donald lightning in a bottle, okay, And and he's okay, he's a solid player, but he's young, you know, and the rest of the guys are kind of just guys a little bit. You know. The outside linebackers are pretty good. Shaq Barrett's been a good player for a while. He's not having a great year, but he's had great years in the past, and he can have a great game at any minute. And then they've got a former first round pick from twenty twenty one and Joe try and show Yinka and uh Yaya di Albia. Did I say that right? Yaya di Alby? I don't know if I pronounced that correctly. Their third round pick out of Louisville has been playing quite a bit. But the aubib yeah, I mean they're okay up front, I mean outside of Vidavella.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The one other position that they're extremely talented is safety Antoine Winfield. He's arguably one of the top three or four safeties in the National Football League. He can do a lot of different things. Let me give you his stat line, which is pretty amazing. I don't know the number of tackles, you can probably pull that up, but as a safety he has three forced fumble, three fumble recoveries, five force fumbles, two interceptions, and four sacks as a safety. I mean, that's that's incredible numbers. So he's a challenging guy. And whoever's playing quarterback better know where number thirty one is. It's one Winfield with one hundred and seven total tackles. Where's he had on the team righting the team leads the team's en that's what I figured. Everywhere he's a stud. He's everywhere, So I mean two studs, you know. And then you've got the veteran guy at linebacker who and want to say, veteran guy, Levante David twelve years in the National Football League. He if you look at his stats, I mean, I know was looking at the Tampa Bay Press release. His stats are comparable to those that are in the Hall of Fame. I mean, his numbers are incredible, and he's been a high level player for a long time. He's an excellent player as far as making tackle for losses. So there's a great player at all three levels. Lante Dave is not what he was, but he's still pretty close to it. Putting ahead, we've got to get into this Jaguars defense of the matchup against the Buccaneers offense. Baker Mayfield, Mike Evans, possible Hall of Famer, the wide receiver, shoot Roller Skits. Oh okay, we'll get to him coming up in a moment. We're on ten toon XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube. Coming up at four thirty, Kay Stevens in studio with us. Then at five o'clock the Doug Peterson we'll have the head coach in studio ahead of Week sixteen. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving.
Speaker 4: He's gotten better as the season's gone on, some of his you know, statistical numbers. He's getting the ball out of his hand extremely fast. It does slow down pass rush when you can do that, you know, especially in the third and short medium range. And you know he's he's trusting his guys you know, down the field and they're making plays for him. So and he's not turning the ball over, you know.
Speaker 2: So all those things are in his favor and are helping and he's playing playing good. That's the head coach of course. Doug Peterson on Wednesday and discussing Baker Mayfield, quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Welcome back. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving. JP Shadrick flog him. Week sixteen Jaguars Buccaneers, Raymond James Stadium, Tampa down On Dale Mabury and it'll be a four h five kick. We'll be on the air in Jacksonville with the public's tailgate show at one o'clock and then three o'clock countdown to kickoff on the Jaguars Radio Network ahead of this battle of first place teams in the AFC and NFC South divisions. And Baker Mayfield, as you referenced earlier logs, a great performance last time, well so great. It was perfect, a perfect passer rating and only the third time in the NFL this year that a quarterback has posted a perfect passer rating in a game, and Baker's the latest to do that. And you know he's been around for a minute now. Twenty eighteen first overall pick well, and he had he had one heck of a year and twenty eighteen as a rookie, and I remember kind of when he got on the scene in the NFL, everybody's like wow, I mean, because he did. He had a really impressive rookie year through a little bit too many interceptions that year, but then the next year was kind of okay, and then twenty twenty he had a heck of a year, led the Cleveland Browns to double digit Wins was arguably his best year as a pro until this year, and this year he's doing a pretty good job and he's got two excellent wide receivers to throw the ball too. I'd say we were talking earlier before we came on the show, and we were like, all right, what's the best tandems in the National Football League as far as receivers go, you know, And the first one that came to your mind was Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddell. Yeah, Miami, which I think those two guys are the best, hands down. And then up in Philadelphia you have the Slim Reaper and AJ Brown, two pretty good receivers. I'd take those guys, sure, but these two guys and Mike Evans and Godwin are really good. This past game, Godwin had over one hundred yards receiving one hundred and fifty five to be exact, on ten catches. Mike Evans had four for fifty seven and a touchdown. And Evans, I said before the break going into the Hall of Fame on roller skates, I mean, this guy's had ten consecutive thousand yard seasons. The next closest god have the highest number is I think Randy Moss with six consecutive thousand yard seasons, which is unbelievable. It is so every year in the league he's had a thousand yard season. So think about this, he's got a double that to reach Jerry Rice. Jerry Rice had twenty two thousand, eight hundred yards and Mike Evans has eleven thousand and change, which is amazing. How many years total did Jerry place, oh forever, I mean eighty five to four, twenty years. How many consecutive thousand yard seasons did he have? Let's look there, you gotta pull that. I got it right here. I got it right here. He got it by we're looking, we're looking, we're digging, because I don't think he had he didn't have ten, three, four, five, knee, eight, nine, ten, eleven at one point, but not gonna start his career, he had eleven in a row, but his rookie year he had just under like seventy yards early. Then he had eleven straight. Then he had the knee injury ninety seven, then another we had three more after that, which is amazing. Thirteen what a fourteen total in his career and how many years total did he play? Twenty seasons? So twenty seasons and thirteen of them or thousand yard receivedeen, Yeah, tremendous. And how many touchdowns did Jerry have after ten years? Just out of curiosity? I know you got to add it up because Mike Evans right now has ninety two touchdowns receiving, okay, and he's in a tie right now at twelfth place, And so if he gets one more receiving touchdown, he's gonna end up with sole possession of twelfth place all time and receiving touchdowns, which is I mean, this guy's not even done yet. I mean I don't see him slowing down for another four or five years because he's still got the gifts. I mean, he's a big wide receiver, a big tark, got great range, he's got good speed. He's not that phenomenal speed, but he's got good speed for a big man. So Jerry Rice had one hundred ninety seven career touchdowns right in twenty years, and sixty six of those came after year ten, year eleven or later in his career sixty six. So what did he have in years one through ten? So one ninety seven minus sixty six, Okay, So he had one hundred and thirty something. That's pretty good. He's stud the greatest receiver of all time. But I mean we're not comparing these two. Just the numbers are interesting to look at that Jerry's the greatest of all time, but Mike Evans in a ten year span is put in fantastic something we really had. And how many different quarterbacks I mean, think about it now, Jerry Rice had two Hall of Fame quarterbacks thrown on the ball. What has Mike Evans had in his career throwing him? He said, Jamis Winston he's had. He had Tom Brady couple of years. Yeah, I mean they've been rotating three years, two years. He was in two years just rotating three guys. But who was before that? I mean it's like, huh, yeah, I didn't have a whole lot of great quarterback play. I mean because obviously, I mean Tampa was struggling to try to figure out who's going to play quarterback for many years. So I mean that's has a lot to do with it. But he's he's a tremendous player. And look, the Jaguars are a little beat up in secondary. You know, they're quote getting healthier because there's maybe gonna be some guys coming back. It looks like Tyson Campbell could play, Cisco could play, But the last time we saw Tyson Campbell he didn't play all that Well. I'll buy you a bottle of water if you can name the first regular starting quarterback for Mike Evans in the NFL with Tampa Bay twenty fourteen. Twenty fourteen, his first regular starting quarterback, the quarterback he started the most games that year for the Bucks twenty fourteen. I have no idea. Josh McCown started Kevin games that year. He was a one in ten starter that season. By Glennon started the other five games for Tampa Bay? Who else did he have playing quarterback? From? Is there list? I gotta go? It would be it would be amazing to see exactly how many different quarterbacks it took him to get to where he's at. I mean, the list would be very long, I'm sure. Yeah, I mean we only have an hour exactly. I mean we need more time for that. Might take a little while to figure that out, but I mean the twenty fifteen Jamis came in, so that was the next what four years at least? Maybe yeah, four years ish? Yeah, you know, and then you're getting close to Tom Brady time so well ten years now seventeen. I mean, if you got one year with McCown, fourteen and then four Jamis was, you got another three years to figure out. You know, I have no I I can't even remember who it was. A quarterback in Jamis Was through nineteen and twenty was when Tom Brady came in because there the Super Bowl. Yeah okay, right, well yeah tom Brady in twenty twenty. All right, so there you go. So you got to cover that this week. He's good. How do you cover it? I mean I think do you put your best guy on? Here's the herd. Here's the hard part is that do you double him? Because if you double him, then that means you're you're not going to be able to have as much attention on Godwin. And if you look at the number as Godwin is right up there with receptions as the big man is. So what do you do? I mean, I think it's gonna be Look, Darius Williams has to play really well, Tyson Campbell, do you do you help him just because he hasn't played, you know, put safety over the top with him. That's not the way you've played with him in the past, but are you are you thinking about that now just because he the last time you saw him, he didn't play great. He was hampered a little bit because he had a hamstring and then now recently a quad. Yeah, I think that that's going to be interesting. And how do you how do you play the bucks? I mean, because you can't get overly aggressive because if you get aggressive, then all of a sudden, you're depleting your coverage to get aggressive after Baker Mayfield. But then you can get to him, you know, because Baker Mayfield will hold the ball. But I think the interesting thing to me, and one of the tough matchups is Josh Allen versus Worse their left tackle. Okay, because right now Josh has been the main source of pressure and Trayvon had a solid game this past week. But this game you because I think Worse and Josh Allen is kind of like two great players that are going to negate each other. I think you'll end up having maybe a couple wins by Josh, But I think Worse is going to be able to do well against Josh, and I hope Josh can end up beating them a few times because to have a great game as a pass rusher. All you need is one or two right, one or two. Yeah, doesn't have to be every play, But somebody else's sound like a tackle right now, a left tackle. Somebody else has got to step up. What's specific. Always say, yeah, you can play good for sixty eight plays, but the sixty ninth and seventy, if you give up a sack, it's a bad game. That's right. That's what I'm saying. Josh got to find a way to find two plays, find two plays against Worse. You know, Worse was that right tackle for longest time, and I think it was Donovan Smith, who's now in Kansas City, was the left tackle. Worse, who was a first round pick out of Iowa, I believe, moved over to the left side this year. This is his first year at left tackle, but that was his natural position. He's an excellent football player, and he's a big man. Big man, has got really good feet. They listed him at sixty five three twenty. I would venture to guess he's more than three twenty. I think that's one of those that's where we would like to have him at. But he's a little bit bigger than that. He's wherever he wants to be. You always see that though with the height weight listings where the team posts a certain number and a lot of times that's the number. That the optimum number. We'd like him to be three twenty, but he's walking around. He just ate five biscuits and you know, anyways, three forty or yeah. I love the story. I think Daniel Jeremiah tells the story. NFL Network obviously analysts and it was a scout before that worked his way up in that side of the business, and he used to work for the Ravens, right, So he was the guy, Daniel Jeremiah who would have to record weights on the sheet every day in the locker room. Ray Lewis would come in and Ray would say, I'm two fifty whatever, and without getting on the scale of course not of course, and of course Daniel just ride it right down there. It is because you got to question ray Lewis, No, I don't think so I'm not. No, I don't think many people in that locker room would either. So we literally we I mean we had people throughout my career to where that was their job. They literally would make everybody go to the scale at certain times like weekly wayh ins. They had weekly way ins because there was a lot of bonus money that rided on what the number said at scale, Yes, sir, And some guys lost money, Okay, lost lost a lot of money because they couldn't they couldn't push back from the table. Okay, some of them like to eat a little bit too much. And then in training camp they would monitor your weight just from a health and wellness standpoint. Yeah, because you had grueling training camps much more so than what they are today, and they were always worried about the players getting dehydrated and getting dangerously low as far as their weight goes, you know, because all of a sudden, if you had a guy that lost six pounds and one practice. In the next practice, he weighs in after that practice, and all of a sudden, now he's down five from the previous way in, but he only you know, he didn't get it all back on. Now you're talking about a health risk. So a lot of times they would have that required person that would monitor the weights in training camp and then also for the weekly weigh ends plenty ahead. Kay Stevens joins us in studio Jaguars reporter when we return and then at five o'clock the Doug Peterson Show, we'll hear from the Jags head coach in the studio with us ahead of Week sixteen, the Jaguars and the Buccaneers coming off. Jaguars Happy Hour is brought to you by the Saint John Water Management District, Florida's water. It's worth saving.
Speaker 5: A lot of practice head that I think, you know, whether it's here or where you know, where I used to be. I think the mindset as being my seventh year in the league, it's just got a lot of experience. Even even the games where you know the starter isn't banged up or whatever, just prepairing like you know you might have to go into the game, that's just kind of what you have to do. So at this point, it's really just just a mindset, and you know, I feel like this year I've actually, you know, you got to you got to practice a lot more than years past as far as with the with the starters. You know, when Trev has missed a couple of practice here or there, and it's so it's only you know, benefit of me and helped me in the long run of just getting the rest with certain guys and that kind of stuff. C. J.
Speaker 2: Bethar Jaguars backup quarterback at the podium earlier this week. We'll see if he has to go out there on Sunday in Tampa and welcome back. It's Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's water It's worth saving. JP Shadwick, Jeff Logman. We're at the Hyundai studios at the Miller Electric Center on ten ten XL ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube, and Kyle Stevens is with us in studio.
Speaker 3: Now, good afternoon, Kai, Hello gentlemen, good to see you.
Speaker 2: He always good to see you as well. Thanks for swinging in today. And that's the backup quarterback. The next trick is what's next with the starting quarterback who's in congussion protocol and you know he wasn't out there again today, So let's see Tomor's a big day, I think, to see if he's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be ready to roll or not if he ever, If hes ever, when he clears the protocol, he will play. I think even if that's you know, Friday, Saturday, they'll play him if he's available. But this one feels a little bit different, like when you talk to him in the locker room, it's a different vibe. It's very like, you know, compared to like when he heard his knee or his ankle. Right, I think everybody's like, oh, Trevor will play, but this one's not up to him. So I think the preparation is very much centered around CJ. And I think that helps to actually be fully focused on what his skill set is and kind of run the offense that way. Uh. And if Trevor can play, obviously that's great, but mostly just because they need to win, so whatever they need to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you got to make sure long term Trevor's fine too. I mean you can't. Obviously, you're not going to really beat the test if he's not ready. He's not ready. And back in the old days, give him a smelling salt, let's go, yeah, the old which is not smart. I mean, look, I'm not sitting there saying that that's the way it should be, but I mean it's it was a little bit ridiculous back in the old day. But here's the reality though, even today, there's a lot of players that.
Speaker 3: Don't report, which is unfortunate.
Speaker 2: It is unfortunate incredibly too, Yeah, because I mean, here's the other part of this. Availability means dollars in your pocket. And if all of a sudden you're a player that has concussion issues or injury issues or availability issues, your value goes down. And so the self reporting is a big factor in this whole concussion protocol management system that the NFL has instituted. And for a while there the players weren't reporting it. But I think it's become a little bit more acceptable and okay to self report. Right, It's a good thing I could see too. I mean, some guys have incentives in their contracts and certain numbers to hit, and if it's this time of year or something, then you may, you know, I got to get this number to get this thing. But you know who knows here, and the facts are is that Trevor is the quarterback of this franchise for the next decade plus. Okay, as long as you know he keeps trending in that direction, he stays healthy, God willing everything else. Okay, So you can't be shortsighted and say, well, look, you know, we're barely hanging on to this division lead. We need this game. You know, we need Trevor. We got to play him. Wait a minute, let's slow down here, let's look at the big picture. The big picture is that you want Trevor for the next decade, a decade and a half, you know, so we got to make sure you make the right decision here for him and for the franchise. Ky Stevens in studio with us. Well, the next question is, whoever the quarterback is, who are they throwing to this week? A lot of guys, A couple of guys down this week receiver.
Speaker 3: They are Zay Jones not practicing, won't probably won't play either, obviously, Christian Kirk's been out. I think I talked a little bit about this on jag Zam this morning. I think sometimes when you someone's out and you know they need you need to step up. It's easy if Trevor's still around, right, because you're like, oh, he'll figure it out, like sort of thing. But when you really are down your quarterback, and then I feel there's a little more of a sense of urgency, like maybe with Calvin or Evan Ingram to kind of be like, okay, we really have to, like step up in this sense, because Trevor can't just go crazy and save the day, which is, you know what he's tried to do sometimes for better or worse. But I think it's easy when you have a super star on your team to be like, oh, we'll still be fine because we still have Trevor. But now that you don't have Trevor, it's like, oh, we really do have to step up. So maybe they'll take it a little differently than maybe they have before. And hopefully obviously I know CJ. Bethro was talking about working with Calvin and kind of getting that timing down, So hopefully that is a benefit.
Speaker 2: Here's a little bit of a positive CJ. Bethord who's even taking reps with Parker Washington. Yeah, okay, Elijah Cooks, Tim Jones, Yeah yeah, So I mean if he plays, he's got probably how they work more of a rapport with some of those guys, and maybe Trevor's been able.
Speaker 3: To build and Evan's been such a you know, sure handed person for this team, so imagine he's helpful in whoever's out there.
Speaker 2: Well, and you bring up Evan, well, Brent Strange looks like he's going to be back this week. Yeah, limited both days this week, So that's a that's a good sign, trending in the right direction. Correct, watched him in the what limited period of practice that we were able to watch today, he looked good. So and now all of a sudden you put him back into the mix. I mean, does that free you up to have Evan do some other things that maybe you haven't been able to do with strange not out on the field. Maybe so, so that also could be a positive for this week. If you're looking for the MVP of the truck game, look no further than Ford F one point fifty. Loaded with impressive capability and designed to dominate, workplay and everything in between. This truck makes tough look easy. Your local for dealer, proud partner of the Jacksonville Jaguars. We're on ten ten, Xcel, ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com and Jaguars YouTube. JP Shadwick, Jeff Logoman, Kai Stevens Jaguars Defense This week, Guy against Baker Mayfield. Perfect passer rating last week. They've got a couple of wide receivers, They've got some confidence. They've won three in a row. They're in first place, tied forward in the NFC South, and this is a little tougher I think then you might have bargained for when you saw the calendar and the schedule come out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was supposed to be the easy section of the schedule, right, and it's becoming very much the opposite. They're trending the opposite way. Yes, the one their last three games, Bigger Mayfield having the game of his life at Lambeau, but we talked a little bit about he still got sacked five times. So if the pass rush can get to him, obviously Josh Allen is going to play like a man on fire as he always does. If he can get to him a little bit, cause some chaos there and get some turnovers, which is what this defense relies on. Give some short field to this offense, helpfully get them a little bit closer, get them some points. I think that's going to be really important. And you know, not to discount the Bucks, of course, but they're not going up against the Ravens again like this is the Bucks. They can do this. It will be not as easy as it could be if Trevor was playing, but they can certainly get it done.
Speaker 2: Well. The great thing from last week going to this week is is that Baker Mayfield is not going to do it Lamar Jackson, Right, No, is that that level? I mean, what a display.
Speaker 3: And they played him like well, like it wasn't even like he went crazy, like the defense played pretty well and he still looked amazing ninety.
Speaker 2: Seven yards on the ground somehow, and it's just effortless. Yeah. You know. The one play that I think is a perfect example of what Lamar Jackson can do is when Smoot misses him but thought he had him, and then all of a sudden he spins around and creates more time and then throws the ball just before Smoot comes back and hits him and then has his tight end high point it and then makes it catch inside the ten or around the tent or whatever it was. It's two guys, Lamar Jackson, and he just makes it look effortless. It's literally when I was joking around with Doug last week saying, did you do the chicken drills you know from the movie Rocky, I mean it's what it's like. I mean, how do you catch that guy just when you got three hundred pounders chase them? It doesn't work very well sometimes and Baker's got a little of that. He doesn't have that level. No totally different cats around. But then you get to him and I guess he can buy some time. But I mean not not not a statue.
Speaker 3: He can't do, not elusive. Lamar is like you can be there and he can.
Speaker 2: Like I thought, I thought when Michael Vick left the game, I said to myself, because you know, Randall Conningham was like the first mobile guy that I remember. There was other mobile guys, you know, but Randall was the one who really in my era. And then all of a sudden, Michael Vick came along and I said, there will never be another Michael Vick. I just thought, there's no way. This guy's just so special. Lamar's made Michael Vick look like, you know, just the beginnings of old school football. Lamar is that special, crazy big ball game. This Sunday, Christmas Eve, Tampa, the Jaguars and the Buccketeers battle of first place teams. Both teams tied for the lead in the respective divisions. The Jaguars have the tie breakers in the AFC South. Tonight, it's Jaguars All Access Television, spring Strings Sports Brewery, Springfield who you got caught.
Speaker 3: That's the one. Jamal Jamal Agne is going to be with us. He's back back on the field, so he's going to come join us today.
Speaker 2: Jamal will be fantastic. Yeah, great game. He had a great game. He had a big punt return, had a big kick return, the explosive play where by the way, the Ravens had a communication issue right on that defensive play and Jamal was able to expose that. So he had an outstanding return and return to play. And will his role evolve into a little bit more this week? I think that's an interesting question. It could is it could with you know, with the injury and.
Speaker 3: Any bodies at this point, So yes, I would hope.
Speaker 2: So you know, I hope he makes his biger plays or bigger because especially on special teams. I mean, if your offense has a new quarterback, or if your all fence has a Trevor Lawrence that hasn't been able to work all week. Whatever, however, it turns out you need a little jump start and the return of Jamal could help that in a in a big way. I hope. So go check it out tonight. Strings Sports Brewery, Springfield and seven o'clock start right, Yes, I ask you that every week it has always seven changed.
Speaker 3: Any of the week, we haven't done it, not at seven unless we were in London. I think we did maybe seven in London in a different time here. That's the only time it changed.
Speaker 2: Seven o'clock, Fox thirty Strings, Springfield, Jamal Agnew and the whole crew. Yeah. And they've got really good wings there. Oh the wings you like the white sauce, dude, the Alabama white. Right. We've talked about this before as well.
Speaker 3: Money Jeff gives away the recipe.
Speaker 2: Brisket cheese from the brisket cheese steak. There's another highly recommended item. I would say, good to know. And their sweet tea's nice, really nice. The beer's pretty nice too. What was a brewery you know? I would I wouldn't Wars show. I gotta do TV. I don't. Sometimes I'll go in there. Kay, thanks a lot, have a great show. This is what she gets to deal with tonight. That's Kay Stevens, Jaguars reporter with us back in a moment. The injury report is out, we'll get to that. And then at five o'clock the Doug Peterson Show, the head coaching Studio with us. This is Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving. Jaguars Happy Hour brought to you by the Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's Water. It's worth saving. JP Shadick, Jeff B. Loogerman, Glad you're with us on Tension Excel ninety two point five FM, Jaguars dot Com, Jaguars YouTube Time Put. The injury report presented by the Baptist Health and the Jacksonville Orthopedicgain Institute. That's not what it says. Is presented by Baptist Health and the Jacksonville Orthopedic Institute, the official sports medicine provider of the Jacksonville Jaguars. That sounds better, all right, Let's get to it. CJ. Bethard full both days this week. He has a left shoulder injury. Remember the play he came in, first play after Trevor Lawrence in what the Cleveland game? What game was that he Cincinnati went down on his arm and left shoulder injury out of that, but he's been full both days. Kristin Braswell hamstring injury limited both days. Tyson Campbell with a quadriceps injury limited both days. We'll see if that trends better tomorrow for him. Andre Cisco coming off a groin issue limited Wednesday and Thursday, same thing. Let's check on tomorrow and his status for those two starters in the secondary. Ezra Cleveland listed with a knee issue limited both days. Zay Jones is not practiced either day this week. That didn't sound too good from the head coach this week. Early Trevor Lawrence is not practiced yet. Tomorrow is I think the really big day to see if he takes a step in the right direction to be able to play on Sunday. The Walker little with a hamstring injury limited and Brenton Strange foot injury limited both days. Yeah, Strange having missed three games so far with the foot, so good to have him back. I think he will help the running game, you know with ETN in the last six games, the numbers with Travis are not very good. I mean, look last six games, he's averaged three point three yards per carry and about forty two yards a game. Not great. It's not going to get any easier this week. True. The Bucks a top ten run defense. Their weakness, their kryptonite has been the passing game team's throwing on them. Yeah, I mean they're whether rank twenty six in the league in total defense, the second worst team in the National Football League in past the defense thirty first. They have one other really stat of note, their red zone. They've been very strong, top five, ranked at number four in red zone percentage. So they're doing a good job there. This is a very aggressive defense, and this defense has been with them for what three four years now with Todd Bowles, you know, being the former defensive coordinator under Bruce arians. So the guys that they have in place, that are in this system and that have been in the system for a couple of years, they know it in and out. Okay, So but if you look at the numbers, they have one of the higher percentages of pressure packages that they bring. And a lot of people think of pressure as blitz. Pressure can be blitz, but pressure also can be Let's say you send a middle linebacker and a nickel on a blitz and then you drop a defensive line. It's a zone. It's a depleted zone, but it's still a zone. But you would drop two and bring the other two No, okay, so one extra guy. Now, like a fire zone, which we would used to call them the fire zone, a fire zone, we'd bring, you know, maybe one guy, maybe two guys, and then drop one. So you could just have a depleted zone. You could have a full zone or a depleted zone. It just depends. Now, a full blown blitz means you're, you know when they say blitz like man a man, Okay, Now you're bringing guys. Everybody's coming, and you got somebody to cover every eligible wide receiver, and in most cases you would have one safety back deep to help in case somebody got out to kind of prevent the touchdown play. And then you have a what we call a true zero blitz play, which everybody's coming, there's no no one person back deep, and everybody's on their own on an island. Good luck. That's that's aggressive. I mean, that's really aggressive. That's Rex Ryan stuff right there. Okay, Rex, Well he can get away with some of that because he had revis what Rex used to do, which was so unique. When we start talking about fire zones. He would at times send two or sometimes three guys and then just leave a couple zones completely uncovered. He didn't care because he's like, look at the quarterback can find it. Congratulations, good job. But we want to make sure that we bring more than you can block. And so the offensive line needs to be good from that standpoint because they're one of the top teams in the league at bringing pressure, and you don't want to have a backup quarterback dealing with pressure, or a quarterback who just gets out of the concussion protocol dealing with pressure, whatever it turns out to be. So sounds like they all are, but this one, maybe more than most, is a critical big game in pass protection. For this offensive line to step up and stand their ground, that would be a all capital yees. Yes, I'd say so. But you know, and here's part of that. How about running the ball? How about it? Right? I mean, now the interior is gonna be plugged up. It feels like with Vidavello. Well, you know, make a move, make the big man move. Okay, this this team doesn't run down hill between the tackles anyway. This is a offensive line moving kind of kind of run game. So make the big man move. You know, that's tough. Run wide, tire him out. See well, and hopefully you can do a little bit of that. But but what I mean by that is that you take it's hard to bring pressure as a defense if all of a sudden the defense is in second and two, second and three, second and four, okay, third and three, third and four. Defenses love to bring pressure when they're in second and seven plus, third and five or six plus. That makes it very easy to bring pressure. They are more confident called pressure in those down in distances as opposed to the shorter distances. So run the ball effectively take the pressure off of the third down by even having manageable distance, or the short passing game, which sometimes whatever successful to get you four on first down. Yeah, and I mean look short like little all that screen passes underneath the evan ingram, okay, or a quick wide receiver screen to the xterior, and all of a sudden he turns up, gets a block and gets five or six. That's okay. I mean it's essentially a controlled offense, a controlled passing attack that's very similar to the running game. What do you want to hear from head coach Doug Peterson. We've got it in the studio in mere moments. I'd like to know what the what the protocol is like? Just to deal with from a head coach's standpoint, because that's kind of the unknown. You know, they don't coaches don't talk a lot about the protocol. But what's it like? I mean as a coach, what's your mindset? You know, how do you handle that? You know, what do you what do you do? You say? Well, you know, we'll just find out when we find out. I mean, it's kind of or do you make up? Do you have the ability to make plans in the concussion protocol? And then also want to talk about Todd bows defense? You know, how you deal with that? How blocking the big man Vitavella, how that's going to be in and also staying positive? How do you stay positive with your team? Yeah? Positive? And the pressure cooker is on now and you know there can be tightness that creeps in not only in that locker room but around the organization. So how do you handle that as a head coach? That's why he's the head coach. Yeah, he's got the answer. He's done it before a few times, I think, So all right, that'll do it for Jaguars Happy Hour. Coming up next, it's the Doug Peterson show on the Jaguars Radio Network, the head coach in studio with us ahead of the Jaguars Buccaneers matchup. It's Week sixteen and this has been Jaguars Happy Hour, brought to you with a Saint John's River Water Management District, Florida's w her it's worth saving
Speaker 3: Mm hmm