Speaker 1: Here it is Scottie. We're back, baby, He's the one you have to pay attention to.
Speaker 2: Hard for me to do. I'm not very smart.
Speaker 1: Man Tokyo's cancel Christmas protests March canceled by Revolutionary Alliance of Unpopular Men.
Speaker 2: Boy, this is what I like. I like to be enthralled and astonished and just you just teased us in to We're all going to be better people with more knowledge of the world in the international community because of this episode of Bananasillian.
Speaker 3: Pis, would you do?
Speaker 1: Birthday guys goals, non binary pals, Welcome to Bananas. I'm Kurt Brown older, I.
Speaker 2: Am Banana Boy number two Scotti Landis. We're coming to you from the Windy City, Los Angeles, California, and thanks for listening to the silliest little podcast there ever was. Kurt and I swear we promise, we pledge no matter how weird, twenty twenty five is about to be. Yep. We're gonna be more fun and we're gonna be weirder and we're gonna take it the spirit of optimism and positivity to the extreme in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: We have to, we have to, we will be the light shining in the Medea of Weird Darkness.
Speaker 2: It's my middle name.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 4: It's a long middle name. Yeah, it really is, and that's fine with me. But we're we're just gonna keep pumping out the good times. And the first step is our sold out show at the Bob Baker Marinette Theater. It's the Banana Boy, It's Marionettes. And this is the kind of gigly google that we're going to do all year long.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. We still have yet to meet the Marionettes. We're going to meet the Marionettes soon. It's going to be a really fun show.
Speaker 2: I know. I'm gonna There's a couple of personal stories. The one I'm going to ask you about offline because I'm not sure if I were told it on the main pot. But when I see the animals they have, I'm like, boy, if I can get some of these marching while I tell the story, oh, I will be so happy.
Speaker 1: All right, great, I love that idea, Scotty. We have not spoken in a couple of weeks, probably in a couple weeks, maybe maybe a month, close to a month.
Speaker 2: We haven't recorded in over a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are about so many to like because everyone was closed for so long. Hello, how is your holidays wonderful?
Speaker 2: And again I being in California during this time when it's freezing cold everywhere else and Louisville, Kentucky has ten inches of snow and all the it's like, uh, it's just nice to be lazy through the holidays. I'll say it like that.
Speaker 1: Yes it is. Indeed, I do miss that. I do miss that sweet time in between Christmas and New Year's which is just like a do nothing dead week because it with children, it doesn't really exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't exist.
Speaker 1: It's like it kind of exists. Like we put the kids in camp one day and I just like sat and read. I'd read for like, I don't know, five hours straight.
Speaker 2: What a joy?
Speaker 1: What a jit? Uh joy? I sat in the couch and I read for like five hours. And I really that puts you in a like just zend out state that is so pleasant. And I never do it. I never do that. I would like to do that more, I won't.
Speaker 2: There's a great article on vox dot com that I just read. I like Vox and they have good stuff, and it was the key. There's always the clickbait articles that men don't read. They're like, young men don't read books anymore young and then this fox articles like why do we keep saying this? This is not true? And then they go through statistically and like the difference between young women reading and young men reading is like four percent. It's like it's just some dumb study that they're like, these guys aren't reading, We've lost them. It is I treat.
Speaker 1: It is a real treat. I do find how I do see a lot of stand ups do a joke about not reading and the audience really laughing a lot, like really being like that's me. I hate books, Like anti book comedy is big.
Speaker 2: I will just say that, all right, well that's fine. I guess they listen to podcasts, and I guess they listen to ebooks and audible books, which is fine. That's fine too. I count audibles as reading, even though it is not the same relaxing, imaginative experience of sitting down and turning those pages. But then again, I'm old parts.
Speaker 1: I know it just one more way that I'm out of step.
Speaker 2: It's a great joy. People like it was wonderful. I went to Safie's last night. Have you been to Safie's. It's the Mediterranean restaurant. It's directly next to the Scientology Center, which is funny in its own way. You feel like, is this are they tricking us in here to get us over there. No, it's great food, but boy, that is a Generation Z hot spot. And it just reminded me of Brooklyn in the two thousands. It was just fun.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the Scientology Center. We went and got ice cream the other night, and we're walking back with the ice cream and I just didn't even occur to me that we were across the street from the Scientology Center. And Olive looks over and she loves science, like she loves science. She looks over and I just watched her go science top. Well, well, well looks like somebody's found the church for there. I'm I go, no, no, Noboddy, oh sweetie, No, no, it's not science. It's not science based. It's different. Don't don't don't go.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's lovely. Even if you did mention it, it's nice to know that Olive can read. And that's something that you, as a father, should brag about early and often and all the time. Folks, if you've never heard bananas it's strange news. Kurt is a stand up comedian actor writer. I'm a screenwriter, and then we tell our own personal stories. Sometimes we have wonderful guests, but on episodes like today's episode, it's just the banana boys shaking our tail feathers and having a good time talking about some headline like Kurtz that I did not understand here it is.
Speaker 1: It is a hard to understand one, but it's worth it. Tokyo cancel Christmas Protest March canceled by revolutionary lines of unpopular men? What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Popular man?
Speaker 1: This was in Japan today. Obviously this was by Casey Basil, her.
Speaker 2: Soul Japanese sounding name.
Speaker 1: In Japan, the biggest Christmas celebrations actually take place on Christmas Day now Christmas Eve. So on December twenty fourth, Christmas lights were shining around Tokyo, with the sounds of traditional Yule Tide music playing from shopping center speakers and reblers happily heading to day some parties with Give six TEMs in hand. However, there was something different about Christmas Eve and Tokyo this year. Something was missing The annual anti Christmas protest March held by the Revolutionary Alliance of Unpopular Men. Traditionally, the group gathers every year in the afternoon on December twenty fourth, carrying banners and chanting messages of opposition to Christmas Great. Specifically, the organization takes issue with Christmas Eve's status as the most romantic date night of the year, which is that must.
Speaker 2: Be in pane that is here.
Speaker 1: So yeah. However, it should be noted that the Japanese term that makes up the unpopular part of the Revolutionary Alliance of Unpopular Men's name himote, specifically refers to guys who aren't popular with women, and so it's pretty clear that the march isn't meant as a rally for those who want to focus on the religious or broader humanitarian aspects of the holidays, so much as a get together for those who are frustrated about their dateless status. This is so wild weird, yeah, strange, okay, stranger, yeah okay, though not large or lengthy.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think I found their problem twenty this is why they're single.
Speaker 1: The twenty twenty three march consisted of about fifteen people that lasted roughly thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: That's all right.
Speaker 1: The marches have been consistent, taking place on an annual basis since two thousand and seven. However, the group's slogan of Crushed Christmas couldn't be heard on the Shiboya streets this past Tuesday because the anti Christmas march was canceled, as announced through a post from the Revolutionary Alliance of Unpopular Men's Twitter account in December nineteenth. This doesn't mean that the organization has necessarily softened its stance against Christmas, though. It's just that while its members may be unpopular, they're not unlawful, and they weren't able to file the paperwork necessary for holding a protest march on public streets. The announcement is the announcement reads announcement regarding this year's Crush Christmas demonstration. Due to various circumstances, our representative was unable to carry out the application process, so the demonstration has been canceled. We sincerely, regretless and deeply apologied to apologize to you comrades. So while it would be an amusing I would be amusingly ironic if the Revolutionary Alliance So Unpopular Men have been disbanded as a result of its leaders finding dates for Christmas Eve. This appears to be mere contemporary setback for their cause, and presumably their annual march on Valentine's Day, another celebration They're not too keen on, is still in the works for twenty twenty five. Yep, that is to be a member of the of the Revolutionary Alliance of Unpopular Men. I think is self defeating, right, It kind of encourages you to stay in the Revolutionary Alliance of Unpopular Men.
Speaker 2: I agree. But also if those bozos are not out going on dates, they can't get the application in a time. It's like, what are you guys up to?
Speaker 1: What are you guys doing? You guys? Yeah, you guys want to protesting other things that everyone loves.
Speaker 2: I know, maybe that's it. But also it's funny, like what a great protest just to fill out an application to have a protest, and then you don't do it, so you don't protest. They're rule followers, and maybe that's what they need to learn is some women enjoy the bad boy. Not all, but many do. Yeah, that's a fascinating. Yeah, well one to protest Christmas is funny. I'm all for it. I love Christmas. I went to La Zoo Lights this year for the first time probably nine or ten years, most incredible light show I've ever seen in my entire life. What you got to go this year?
Speaker 1: No, I did not go this year.
Speaker 2: Well I don't know. Last year we went, but it is so thorough and great I couldn't believe. I actually could not believe how good it was.
Speaker 1: Wow. I went to Disconso Gardens, so we either do Disconso or we do Zoo Lights, and Disconso was very good. They like revamped stuff and it was like very nice this year. I like Disconso because it's more like everything's dark all the time and so it's just like you're in the woods and like things are lighting up, which is.
Speaker 2: It is nice? That is nice. Yeah, it's nice when you're in the woods and things start lighting up. That's always a good time.
Speaker 1: And it's slightly less animal jally, although I go it. I'm a member of the Zoo. I go all there all the time with the kids, just because it's like easy to go to because I live door to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's pretty year round here. Yeah, but that's cool. I'm all for protesting, like also in small groups, protesting something that is the majority really loves it's a very funny thing. And then to add the layer that they're really just bummed at being single, it's the most romantic. And so it'd be like in the States at least protesting Valentine's Day, right, that's yeah, and that's never I mean that would be great too. If I was going on a Valentine's Day date and there were a group of men protesting, I would laugh. I would be like, you're.
Speaker 5: Right, guys, the group go on that data and men who were good at organizing.
Speaker 2: It's fine, and they're horrible at organizing. It's also for it took fifteen minutes. This is good. That's a great, polite, nice story, Kurt. Do you think you know? You read all these articles and stuff about how young people are like having a hard time meeting or can't find relationships or aren't hooking up or aren't having sex. But when you read those are they talking about the straits? Are they talking about like straight people boring old school blooh, just reguar old straight people having a hard time hooking up? Are the lesbians out there just having a ball date and left and right and seeing right?
Speaker 1: I don't know all those stories like, no one's having sex anymore? Yeah, no one straight?
Speaker 2: Yeah are they?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I like honestly, I I like all those like trend pieces that I see constantly. I just doubt every single one of them. I'm like, maybe is this true? You know, like the thing like men aren't reading it's four percent difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like not true at all. And when I was a young boy, MTV hired me to write a in house scripted comedy video for all their employees to learn about the millennials. And they had an in site company that I think was called Insight, and they gave me all the bullet points of the millennials and then I had to work them all into scripts. So I called it the Millennial World. It was like the real world, and we cast I don't know six or sex. I guess seven people's this is true story, seven young strangers. Yeah, and and each represented a different millennial trait. And they loved it, and they showed it in house and paid me and then never showed it again. They showed it one time and everybody's like, Okay, now we know the millennials, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: They yeah, they were like Yeah, they liked to buy plane tickets on their phones. It was stuff like that. And you're like, okay, we could tell we know that's true. They like a variety of flavors. You're like, they say that about gen Z.
Speaker 1: Too, Like, I also, I love it when millennials, like I remember when like millennials were like they're the problem in the workplace from Gen X people, and now you're just seeing all of the millennial people would be like gen Z or the problem in the workplace. It's like, no, it's just that they're young and dumb. That's it. It's not generational. It's young and dumb. They've not been working for very long and so they don't know the rules. And every twenty years there's just like this swath of articles about like this new generation doesn't know how to work at all. Yes, right, and it's so stupid and it's nice and I'll say something bitter and I love to say it, is that what's really delightful is watching people who used to be very young get old where they're just like, oh, they were like the hot shit new young thing, and then you like watch them get into their mid thirties. As a person who had already gone through that, and you're like, yeah, it happens to everyone. If the thing that you're hanging on to that defines you is your youth, you're in. You're in for bad news. It's not good last for anybody.
Speaker 2: Nope. There's a very funny story about two young male comics in LA who drunkenly and I think they were a little enhands, yelling in front of a party of their friends with each other which one was the next James Dean, James both James Dean, not the modern porn star or whatever, the former you know, Hollywood Heartthrob. And my friend who witnessed it, they said everybody else was laughing because these guys were legitimately yelling at each other who was more likely to be the new James Dean and my director Buddy Goes. You guys know he died at like twenty five, right, And they were like, it doesn't matter, And now they're both out of the business completely. Now one of them is in show business asault. They never made it.
Speaker 1: Did I know them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but probably more by reputation than they were LA guys. When we were in New York they were out here. But when I met one of them. They were like, don't even mess with that guy. They both think they're James Dean and their career side.
Speaker 1: It's such a weird reference point, you know, that's such a like for comedians. I don't think any comedian wants to be James Dean. That's so strange.
Speaker 2: How old was James Dean when he died. Let's look it up. We have a super right in front of us. He died at a twenty four. I was close. Oh wow, that is young young, It was young.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: His dad was named Winton and his mom was named Mildred. Those are great nineteen hundred's names, Old Winton and Million Wint. It's an educational podcast, and isn't it thinks? Now? You know, when you go to your work function later at night, or you know you're paying a babysitter so you can go out to dinner, you go. Do you know James Dean was only twenty four when he died.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: Also, it's very interesting too that, like so many people who we consider to be iconic or anything like that, are simply because they died before they had an opportunity to do like a raisin brand commercial, you know, like, if Kurt Kobain had lived long enough, we'd see him now like do stand up paddle boarding with Eddie Vedder, you know, and we would be like, that dude sucks.
Speaker 2: I've always said if Tupac was still alive, he'd be hosting America's Got Talent, because look at Snoop Dogg. Snoop Dogg is essentially more vanilla right now than almost everybody on televi He I love Snoop. I got no promise hereybody gets paid as much as you could get paid. But there was a time where he was on murder trial and I watched it on MTV when they found him not guilty, and then he had the song Murder was the case that they gave me, and it was like, now you're just like, look at this guy selling panos. Yeah, he's hosting the Olympics, talking about tresash horses. He's like, he's selling Snoop Dogg could be on a Maxi Pad commercial and people be like, that's honestly fine. I like that guy, So you can't tell me Tupac would not be doing you know, bounce dryer sheet commercials.
Speaker 1: Tupac and Kirk Cobain on Dancing with the Stars. Got it? I want it? I want it so bad.
Speaker 2: Damn well, holograms are coming, so maybe bananam. Mark Kidsley sent this in and it's so good he did. We got some This story a by a lot of people, but he lives nearby. I'll talk about it more after the fact. But he's the perfect person to send this in for us BBC. That's real, written by many. Consider this gent the best in the business. Harry Stevens wrote this one.
Speaker 1: Harry Stevens better than Bald Stevens.
Speaker 2: Damn right. Why does a plate of bananas appear on our street every week? That's the headline?
Speaker 1: That is I guess it's Harry's street.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Harry Stevens. He's just he's out there. He's a man about town.
Speaker 1: So I have not heard the name Harry in so long that I can't not hear it as Harry h A I.
Speaker 2: R y well right, Harry Stevens would be like a funny improv team name where they all have beards and long hair and they're all named Stephen. What are the Harry Stevens. Actually, it's shocking, that's shocking. That doesn't exist. It's like the family, big black car Neutrino.
Speaker 1: Harry Stevens.
Speaker 2: Harry Stevens. It's just six guys named steven and they all have really long beards. They kind of look like zeezy top. Cartoons and comedy shows have taught us to avoid banana skins as a slip and fall hazard see Harry just as connecting on a deeply personal level for anybody born in the nineteen sixties. But what do you do when you encounter a plate full of the fruit that says full of the fruit unpeeled. That is exactly what's been happening in the small nottingham Shire town and no one knows the reason behind this strange tradition here it is, this is so good. The mystery plate of peeled bananas appears on the second day of every month on the corner of Abbey Road and Wendsor Avenue in Beeston, and residents say it has been a constant in their lives for more than a year.
Speaker 1: More than a year, every month or every.
Speaker 2: Week, excuse me, it was every month. Okay, second day of every month on the corner.
Speaker 1: Second day it's every Oh wow, okay.
Speaker 2: I've asked around in the local community, but no one really knows, and no one can tell me anything, said resident Claire Short. The bananas appear early in the morning on the second of the month. I see them on my way to work, and I'd love to have some answers to this. The bananas have propped it. This is just a plate of bananas. There's a photo of it. And the reason I said that it's so important that Mark Kinsley, the kids Ley the bananimal, who said it is He is a photographer and he lives nearby. And he said he's going to investigate forest further. And I said, send us a pick of those bananas when you go.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So Mark is a bananamal in the wild for us in Beston or nearby Beaston's a cute name. Yeah, Banana the bananas. The bananas have prompted a mixed reaction, and some neighbors saying the bananas go moldy in their street. Does not look appealing anymore. Harry Stevens. Miss Short tried to try to take the matter into her own hands. She put up a sign where the plate is to deter the yellow fruit being left there again. On January second, however, another plate of peeled bananas appeared in the usual spot. I've come to take down the signs because I don't really feel like making it a feud. I don't want it to become a big thing, she said, But it already is.
Speaker 3: It's so once you made the sign, it became a thing. Yeah, now you know you're now you're somebody knows. It's pissing people off, and they're only going to want to do it more.
Speaker 1: They're very excited now.
Speaker 2: And then the genius move is take a month off and then come right back and do it the next month so everything's it's over, and then just come back with two plates of peel bananas on the corner of Abbey and wherever wendsor Avenue in peace bananas.
Speaker 1: They're just the so there's no peel, there's no it's just naked banana, dripped.
Speaker 2: Down stack bananas on.
Speaker 1: A plate like a bunch of hot dogs.
Speaker 2: I think it's a special thing for someone, and I wish them well. But if if they could come back and clean up the mess a few days later, that would be lovely.
Speaker 1: That's a nice special thing for somebody.
Speaker 2: I'm going to keep an eye on it and keep cleaning up the mess. So this poor woman, Miss short just keeps doing it. It's gross. Other neighbors say. Other neighbors would rather see the banana's gone for good. I live nearby and they're very regularly here, said twenty six year old Josh Trentam. They are very annoying. I have no idea why they're here. Just one plate of bananas driving this tower. Bananas per month, one place per month. Jill Dowling, another wonderfully British name, added, it's so strange and disgusting. Someone puts it there and I don't like it. Resident Janet Hutchinson eighty one as young. She says, the bananas are clearly just bought, and the wildlife doesn't touch them. They go moldy. It's gross. Adam Castle, another puzzled resident, wonder if the gesture was perhaps a custom somewhere else. Adam said, what is this thing? I don't know if it's a cultural thing or what. It's strange. I've never heard or seen anything anywhere else where I've lived like this.
Speaker 1: I hope Harry Stevens speaks to every single human on this block.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be at.
Speaker 1: Least in half of the people who live there bananimals.
Speaker 2: Kurt and I encourage you in twenty twenty five to find your plate of peeled bananas. Let us know what it is. Don't hurt anybody, don't destroy anybody's property, but publicly start something new just for the sake of being as silly as you can. We won't tell anybody about it, your secret weird thing, but we would love love to hear about it. Right, Yeah, this is your year. This is your moment to figure out what is your peeled play of bananas in your small town that will drive everybody nuts, but get them talking about something else besides twenty four hour news coverage exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think on our first episode we had mashed potatoes being left all across town. Seeing people like to do. The fact that this is the fact that I am also aware of the weird trends of strangeness that human beings like to partake in, is also like, oh yeah, that that's pretty common.
Speaker 2: It happens, but it's nice. I think, Yeah, this is just the world is boring and repetitive, and it takes so little to get people just talking, just gabbing it up. You don't think the local pubs in that town are having a field day, Yeah, speculating, And then you're looking at your neighbors a little different. You're wondering, you're watching people at grocery stores. Is this person buying one banana a time to get sneaky or are they buying a bunch of pm me, it's wonderful. It's a wonderful dumb and it's not us. By the way I'm saying all this, Kurt and I are not responsible for this, and there's not a been animal we're in contact with doing it, though I do somehow wish we were.
Speaker 1: I really do. It's a great marketing idea.
Speaker 2: It's fine with me. Sure it's a little bit of food waste. Sure, sure the flies like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, makes more.
Speaker 2: Animal will eat it. Mold exists, that's an animal or no, it might be, but mold likes it.
Speaker 1: Is it not an animal?
Speaker 2: It's a fungus. It's a plant, right.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Also, I think that those maybe those those like elementary school designations like plant animal is maybe it's a plant animal.
Speaker 2: Fungi is neither plant nor animal. They have their own kingdom and biology.
Speaker 1: What's the kingdom? What's the kingdom?
Speaker 2: Funk guy I guess, no, mold is a plant. Let's see. Nope, what mold is not a plant? We got to find its kingdom. This is huge. This is gonna make or break the entire podcast. We've got to find this kingdom. What kingdom is mold?
Speaker 1: What kingdom does mold rule?
Speaker 2: Does mold rule? I'm actually typing that they're in the fungi kingdom, which incleads ye, mold smut?
Speaker 1: What what's a smut?
Speaker 2: I've been living my whole life without, which includes yeast, mold, smuts, and mushrooms.
Speaker 1: What's the smuts?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: What is a smut of grains in which part of the ear changed to black powder? I've seen that, I've seen that on a on corn. Yes, but smutt?
Speaker 2: How did smut then become like pornography? That's a I love that. I'd never heard of smuts before. I guess I'm not a hazy.
Speaker 1: The craziest part is that when I pull up smut as a definition on Google, the only two are the fungal disease and a small flake of spot or other dirt, And it doesn't say like dirty. Yeah, yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: I thought smut was like a really like low brow, pedestrian term for pornography. But it turns out it's just rocking that fung guy kingdom with mold, yeast, mushrooms and.
Speaker 1: Smut, just taking down grains.
Speaker 2: God, I feel wrinkles in my brain just blowing up right now.
Speaker 1: That's right out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, iron it flat. Well there you go. I'm worth that story, just in a smut. But yes to our wonderful but animal buddy Mark, please do go the second. Send us a photo. Take a picture of yourself, Take picture of your favorite person standing next to it. Be a bananimal in the while. Do it.
Speaker 1: I'll see this into a little shower.
Speaker 2: Thumbs I think I do have some thumbs ups.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh, here's something. This is just delight This is just delightful and easy. Missing Florida dog rings owner's doorbell to announce its return home. That's just delightful.
Speaker 2: What's the four feeling good?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, I I'm gonna just fly by the sea of my pants because the ones I have on my page I think I may have done we recorded so long ago, but so let's just go for it. Uh, these are the first ones I'm playing up on my phone. I will get to everybody. I promise thumbs up. Kelly Dare finally has a thumbs up worth mentioning. I want to thumbs up my husband we lovingly call Todd the Bod. Yeah, we're in Vermont, and he took all three of our kids seventeen, fifteen, and eleven to my parents' house in New Jersey. It's an eight hour drive for six days after Christmas. By one each day someone fell ill with the neuro virus. I heard that was going around. I heard, I heard everybody's been a faucet this year, one by one. Thankfully he didn't get it. Todd the Bob did not get the normal. That's how good Todd's bod is.
Speaker 1: Nice work.
Speaker 2: I caught it, Kelly says, and I was out for a few days. But blah, blah blah. I bust on him a lot and often ask him if he wants a medal when he's done me mature, But this adventure he definitely deserves a metaphor thumbs up to Todd the Bob.
Speaker 1: Wow, that nice work.
Speaker 2: Did you guys get nora virus? Did go around the brown older household?
Speaker 1: Uh, Lauren and Olive got it. But that's it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's half that's all lot, and it sounded really bad. Here's one.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: I'm MICHAELA, and I like to thumb up myself for going in and starting a small business. My husband I got married this year. We've been discussing family planning. I work on a full time in person job and dream of having a career where I can have the flexibility to spend more time with my children. So this year I started a small Connecticut based event floral business, A flower business.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, how nice is that? I love, love, love flowers. She says, thumbs up to you. I've gotten lots of emails, but no official events yet for twenty twenty five. But I'm giving myself a thumbs up for starting it because that means it's real. Check me out at Serendipitous blooms Co on Instagram. So if you're Connecticut and animal, congratulations. Miquel thumbs up, and then Brandy says giant thumbs way way up to my brother in law, doctor Markham and as I see you partner, doctor Trosclare for literally saving my husband's life yesterday January first, twenty twenty five. My husband, a career firefighter and paramedic, had to be transported to a rural hospital er for sudden onset illness. Staff were great, but stumped they could not They said they might need to intubate him and take him into the ICU. I called Cory, my brother in law, and told him the limited amount of information I had, and he said, tell them to call her hospital. We will accept him. He arrived to a higher level of care in the hospital within four hours of entering the r practically lightning speed for how long those things can take, which is true. When my husband arrived, my brother in law thought he might die eminently.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is nuts.
Speaker 2: With rapid intervention and marveus medical minds, they diagnosed him with a very rare complication from a medication he was on. Later, I was told that if he had been intubated at the rural hospital, he likely would have died. Once I know this is this is amazing. This is a good thumbs up to go out because this is life or death. Yeah, they're all important, but sometimes I feel like I chewed nine pieces of gum today. That's a personal record, like thumbs up. We love you, But this so Brandy says. Once I was able to process the shock of almost I'm a widow at forty three. I put on bananas and have been listening to bring a smile on my face in this impossible time. You guys have been my lifeline onward and upward and hoping for a happier year. Brandy Shmandy thumbs up to those doctors, doctor Markham and doctor Troussclaire thumbs up to the husband for surviving and being a firefighter paramedicuint thumbs up to you Brandi Shmandy, Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: WHOA.
Speaker 2: You can always send your thumbs ups and I'm usually better about them to the the Banans podcast at gmail dot com or the bananz podcast on Instagram, and I am doing my best, y'all.
Speaker 1: This is missing Florida dog rings owner's doorbell to announce its return home. This is written by Guardian staff. Nobody wanted to take a credit for this. This was in the Guardian. This is basically here does Florida dog, missing for more than a week, came home on Christmas Eve and rang its owner's doorbell. To a note the full story right. It was two thirty am. She came pawing at the door, ringing the doorbell, which was Christmas Eve, and then that morning I woke up. She had made it on everybody's doorbell camera. The dog, a four year old German shepherd named Athena, was lost on the fifteenth of December, which prompted a frantic search. People all the way from Jacksonville and Saint Augustine were like, inboxing me inboxing me? Is that what people say instead of emailing? Now they were inboxing me.
Speaker 2: If I'm a'll adjust, I'll make the adjustment.
Speaker 1: Can tell me, comer said Athenas two am. Return woke up. Her family tried not to wake up the kids, but the kids woke up anyways from the excitement. Oh my god, imagine that. You know, Christmas came early, Christmas Eve, events are happening near the tree. You know. I'm not gonna say specifically what. I don't know who's listening. And then the dog wakes every all the kids up. Holy shit, that would be that's a that if kids woke up at two thirty in the morning because came home, they're just up. You're done, You're tough.
Speaker 2: But it's so it's so fun. I mean that is also like there's a good lesson in not giving up hope, yep, but my goodness, gracious, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is fine.
Speaker 2: My sister's dog got away and was on the loose for nineteen days in Maryland, and that you have to hire these dog trackers. I don't know if I ever talked about this in the pot, but dog got out, got startled, ran away. They live in North Baltimore. There's highways, there's Beltway, you know, they called the Beltway.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: There's tons of houses, roads and people, and people kept spotting this dog and so they knew it was alive. And so what happens after a certain amount of times with dogs in the wild, when they're scared enough, they actually go faral like they call the wild gets back into them. Oh wow. And so they're in survival mode and they left out food, you lift out liquid, smoke, you do all these things to kind of attract dog certain areas. But people were like, I saw your dog, Yeah, you know the stuff I just for like why.
Speaker 1: That would smoke? Dogs love liquids.
Speaker 2: I think it draws them in. I think it's like a human food smell.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So they hired this dude.
Speaker 2: My parents were involved, my uncles were involved. I mean everybody's driving around, and they figured out the dog was using tunnels water river tunnels to go underneath the highway, so he was crossing into different neighborhoods going under six ninety five. And my sister saw him by the river side. And this dog is so obsessed with my sister it's nuts, I mean absolutely obsessed. Big dog, like eighty ninety pound Great Pyrenees dog huge, So it's not like a little guy that they knew this dog wasn't going to get like eaten by a fox, yeah, but could get hit by a car so easily. They were worried sick. My nephews are worried sick. So my sister sees the dog. She's like searching on the places where she knows he likes to be out on the Gunpowder River or whatever. And the dog doesn't recognize my sister. That's how wild it had gotten. So she's she's like cawing it.
Speaker 1: We had the dog been gone.
Speaker 2: So that point maybe a week to ten days, maybe a little longer wow, but ultimately it was gone nineteen days. And so people are driving around and like I think like a FedEx light was like I remember that dog. I saw that dog walking down the sidewalk, like people are looking for this cowprint pyrenees, and finally someone spotted it. My brother in law drives over and the woman's like, it was pawing at our door, and he goes, Okay, do you mind if I look around. They're like, no, that's fine, and he goes around the back of their house and looks under their deck and there's the dog, and he like, you know, as a treat or food or whatever, and he like kneels down and softly calls the dog over. He's like, astro, come here, come here. The dog comes over, he clicks the leash on his collar, and it was over. And as soon as they got it home, the dog was like it never left. Nineteen days on the run. Oh my Baltimore Man Magazine wrote I think it was. Baltimore Magazine wrote an entire article on it. I'll have to look that up. Maybe i'll do that one sometime. But there's a dude named Bob Swenson. And when your dog goes missing, you call this guy and he helps you track it and lure it back in. Because at a certain point, even domesticated family pets are certain survival mode, and it's like every person is scary to them. They're drinking out of rivers and puddles. And they got it back and they said it was exhausted. They got it home and like smelled everybody wagon it's sale, laid down, fell asleep, and then it's never been different. But it was like nineteen stressful days. So so to your point, if that dog, if Astra had come up and wrung the doorbell exactly, they would have burst into tears. They would have exploded into tears.
Speaker 1: Does your dog want to run away? Like, does it try to run if the door's open or anything.
Speaker 2: No, he stays closed.
Speaker 1: My dog either like I once left, or the kid Like I walked out, the kids were behind me. I'm sure stupidly assumed that a child would close the front or they did it. We drove to school. I was gone for thirty minutes. I came back front door wide open, and Zelda is just sitting there, just waiting for me to come back in. She wasn't even in the front yard, she was in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's I think once dogs are set, it's not surprising to me. But if they get spooked, I mean that's what happens. And you know if a dog gets scared or startled and just bolts geeze. I mean but I when you know, at the cabin at my old place. Definitely once and I think twice, but definitely one time Punk came over in the morning. My back door was open. Punk's walking around. I didn't I get ready. I go to a picture, an interview or whatever, and then I realized halfway there that that cat was still in my house and it's not my cat, and I was gonna be gone for like eight hours. So then you have the thing where you're like, well, man, is the toilet open so it can drink water?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How fast? Who has my like? Who can go over my house? Where's my high to key? All that kind of thing. And I eventually I did the pitch back. There was Punk just sitting on the sofa, just like he owned the joint, just like you lived there. Didn't seem bother at all. And I think when they're comfy, if they feel secure, they'll just stay put.
Speaker 1: Man, while you were telling that story, the wind blew a ladder over and it just ripped down all the nice lights that I have have put on Sturt them.
Speaker 2: Oh no, well are they replaceable?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I guess so. In La today there's supposed to be wind gusts up to eighty miles an hour. Yeah, it's is really crazy.
Speaker 2: I know they're shutting off power all over the city. Yeah, because they don't want the wind to spark fires from blowing over power lines. And you're like, yeah, that's good, let's not do that. Yeah, but you know we have drones flying over. It's fine, everything's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a thousand drones. Scottie keeps sending me videos of just ten drones in the sky over.
Speaker 2: Near his house every I mean night, but some nights they're like six or more. Information like, yeah, they are drones, these are not helicopters. And I just sit there and you kind of get to the place which might be the strategy of whoever's flying them where Now I'm like I don't care. Yeah, and I should, we all should, I guess, but I'm like, I truly don't care, Like, just just either tell me what they're doing. But I have now started I've chosen to ignore them.
Speaker 1: They're soon just going to be like cars where you're just like you're not being like, what is that car? Doing driving down the street. You're just like, yeah, there's a car over there, it drives down the street. That's some cars do. They're just gonna be everywhere.
Speaker 2: Did you see that decency?
Speaker 1: Did you watch the Golden Globes?
Speaker 2: I did it. I only watched the clips of Nikki Glazer doing great. I thought she killed clips. I saw she looked amazing. Yeah she did.
Speaker 1: She's really I mean like and you could tell she worked really hard. I knew a bunch of the writers on that, but yeah, she did a really great job. But one of the the you know, they did the Golden Globe for Best Comedy Special, and Adam Sandler's knew. I didn't even know he had a new stand up special out. I loved his first one. But the joke that they clipped out to show about it is just during the show, he puts the spotlight on one white guy in the audience and and Adam Taylor singing guy with a drone at the beach making everybody uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and he is.
Speaker 1: And it was like the only clip of a stand up special that got a laugh on its own. All the other clips were just like, you know, it's hard to clip a five second piece from a stand up special.
Speaker 2: Right, because it's momentum. It's a show that you're building towards things. Yeah, yeah, I thought Nikki did great. She is really on her way. I mean yeah, she talked about somebody earned it, no kidding, she earned it. Here's a fun one.
Speaker 1: Send us home, Scottie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much time do we haven't?
Speaker 1: Seven minutes?
Speaker 2: Seven minutes? Natalie Hibbs sent this beauty, and thank you. Natalie Hibbs. Really appreciate that thieves returned rug to the Madonna in Steakhouse and Sanley Obispo, but their identities remain a mystery.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm interested to hear how this happens.
Speaker 2: Well, Google is after the fact, Kurt, because when you see these are two teenagers and they have like masks on, but they have like hoodies. These are two teenagers that thought it would be funny to steal a rug and then realize they're probably going to get in trouble and then return it. And it's so suburban, like slow San louy Obispo is so beautiful. I love it up there. I love the Madonna in Yeah, but it's like I can see myself in the not smartphone, not ring cameras on everything Era. Having done this exact thing, like a crime you think is cool and then you are a good kid and you regret it and you take it back just so it goes away. Instead we talked to it to hundreds of thousands of strangers. A rug that was stolen from the Madonna in in a repeat crime over.
Speaker 1: Three weeks crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, oh, this was written by Chloe Schrager in the Tribune. Oh she's so good.
Speaker 1: Not a Tribune. This is the Tribune, folks.
Speaker 2: The Tribune. Best in the beeswax cloe dog, shreg dog, She's good. Rugg that was stilling from the Madonna in and a repeat crime over two weeks ago. Was returned to the hotel Monday, but the criminals are still unknown. The welcome rug was taken from the entryway and the hotel. But you know that plays everything there is so ordinate and decorated. It's I'm sure it's insane, with like a giant m and yea's probably a wild Also, it's the closest to the door if it's a welcome run. The welcome rug was taken from the entryway of the hotel's gold Rush Steakhouse, oh, November sixteenth, by two college age young men again how do they know? They look younger than me, wearing black hoodies, medical masks, and the general manager, Connie Pierce, told the Tribune they escaped in a silver pickup before Pierce was able to identify them. Pierce went to San Lui Obispo's police department with security footage of the incident and the license plate of the getaway car. She said, Police identify the owner of the truck, a Reno woman who was presumably the mother of at least one of the thieves, but you refused to give the whereabouts of her son to police. There you go, Mom's not a snitch.
Speaker 1: That's a Reno mom. That's a Reno mom. I'm not telling you.
Speaker 2: Also, good title for a TV show, Reno Mom, Reno Mom? What size? How many tickets do you think we could sell in Reno? One hundred and fifty two hundred. I would love to do a show in Reno, is what I'm But I don't know how many fans. I don't know how many people are in Nevada. I agree, we're four or five people that, Yeah, Las Vegas has a lot of people.
Speaker 1: They yeah, But and Renos. How I mean, like Reno, you get like all the parts of California as well, because it's like right on the border, right it is to Reno.
Speaker 2: It's fine as well. All right, Reno nevade as a population. I'm trying to think how many people population of two hundred and seventy four thousand. That's a lot.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'll look it up. Yeah, look, listener, hit us up.
Speaker 2: We have some Yeah, and you know what comedy club people actually enjoy going to Reno?
Speaker 1: Kurt?
Speaker 2: We could we could road trip there. Yeah, it's only about an eight hour drive. We could go half away. Maybe we do that. Let's go to Reno in twenty twenty five. Yeah, but the mom did not tell police where her sons were. She refused to give whereabouts. Then, on Monday, over two weeks after the theft, the hotel received a package in the mail containing the.
Speaker 1: Ring, mailed it back. Think about how expensive to mail a rug is? Yeah, that's pretty expensive.
Speaker 2: I know, but it's good they're I think they're back in Reno. I think they were probably driving by goofing off and they're the I mean, who knows. Also, gold Rush Steakhouse is incredible. If you've never been to the Madonna In. It's a wonderful place. A lot of our peers have gotten married there because it is the most over the top hotel I've ever been to. It's one hundred and something rooms, one hundred and ten rooms, one hundred and twenty rooms, and every single one is decorated differently.
Speaker 1: Every single one.
Speaker 2: They have a theme. So some are clown rooms, some.
Speaker 1: Are cave rooms like carooms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's five or six waterfall rooms where the shower is a rock structure that pours water on you like a waterfall. I stayed at one called rock Bottom, which is very At that point in my life, that probably was the right place for me to be staying. I also stayed one and Tall and Short. That's a really good room. If you're going to reserve one, stay in the Tall and Short room. It's really fun.
Speaker 1: What's tall and short about it?
Speaker 2: It's nothing, I mean, that's the funny. It's the color. The color scheme in there is beautiful. It's a balcony room, which is nice, but there it's a great place. If you're ever on a road trip in California, go to the Madonna In stay a night. They have a bar, the Silver Bar. They have a steakhouse. They have a steakhouse, they have a breakfast thing. They have vented shopping upstairs, and they have pools. But it is just one of the strangest. It's amazing. It's rooms. There's nothing better. It's romantic in its own way. I went there, God, I mean to talk about Windy Day. I went there like two or three, yeah, probably three years ago. And near the Madonna In there are horse pastures. I don't know if they're connected to the Madonna In, but they're definitely horse farm nearby, and I thought, you know, I'm gonna go commune with nature, take a little walk, say hi to these horses. I love you love a horse.
Speaker 1: Doesn't love a horse. I don't understand them, But either I don't understand the deep connection they have with other with human beings, because every time I interact with a horse, it's very much like you're kind of like a bird. You don't really seem to make a connection. But that's me. I don't. Also, I'm not I'm not combing them. I guess you got a comba horse to really get on its good side.
Speaker 2: They got Tickelet's chin a little bit, give a little nose, a little scratch on the nose. But yeah, some people are confident around horses. I'm still pretty terrified of them overall. I feel like, even when I'm riding them, I'm like, well, I could die at any moment, and this would be a horrible way to go. But I go over there. There's like four or five horses in the field. They're real pretty, and I'm picking all this long grass. I'm picking the best grass outside of the pen I can get because i really want to show these horses a treat. They're probably one hundred two hundred yards away from me, and so I hold up this sampful of just green, long grass that probably i'd been cut since the mid eighties, and I'm like, you know, calling over, you know, like hey horse, and like clack. I'm just making noises, you know, like slapping my chest doing all this stuff, and they start coming over. Three horses walk over, okay, and they get over to me. And every time I go to feed, if the wind is so windy, it's blowing the grass out of my hand because I'm holding my palm flat like they teach you when your little kids. The horse doesn't chomp. So these horses are getting like one blade of grass, and I don't know what sound horses make when they're angry. I'm not a horse guy, I'm not an eck Wine studies major. But one of them is grunting, and so my communing with nature was me pretending to feed horses. I'm running around grabbing more grass, trying to be cool. I'm holding it different. It just keeps blowing away. One horse just walks away. One horse is like the old sage was like I've seen this came before. This is like the three Cardmonte equivalent for horses. The other one was so sweet. I think it was like a mayor. I'm trying to like feed this, and then there's a grunting horse that I just gave up and walked away.
Speaker 5: And from that horse's perspective, some asshole just waves grass at them, the horse horse, and then just keeps letting grass blow away from them without ever feeding them, and then just lightly hurries away without looking back.
Speaker 2: So ashamed. The next person that probably tried to saddle that horse probably got bucked so far into the air.
Speaker 1: But I tried to commune.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like to commune with nature.
Speaker 1: You did it. Congratulate nature, that horse and grass next time you're at the Madonna and give it.
Speaker 2: A big old carrot.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for listening to the Bananas Podcast, folks.
Speaker 2: We're glad to have you. Thanks everybody leaves us five star reviews on Apple or Spotify, they really matter. And thanks for everybody, especially who tells their friends, who tells their enemies their loved ones about bananas. Word of mouth is still the best way to spread the gospel of bananas. So thank you to everyone. Bu Nanas Bananas is an exactly right media production.
Speaker 1: Our producer and engineer is Katie Levine.
Speaker 2: The catchy Bananas theme song was composed and performed by Kahon.
Speaker 1: Artwork for Bananas was designed by Travis Millard.
Speaker 2: And our benevolent overlords are the great Karen Kilgareff and Georgia Hartstart
Speaker 1: And Lisa Maggott is our full human, not a robot intern.