Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of Side trend aside Bop Bop courtesy of Nick's effort. Trannu's on the discord.
Speaker 2: Was it written parenthetically to the tune of Sweet optional to wowow Wow Sweet Caroline.
Speaker 1: Now, when I hear Sweet Caroline for the next week, I'm going to be thinking of why Jena side bop bop boor yeah boor war as Grock has instructed that I do going forward talking about this story on tomorrow's episode. Yeah, uh, but my name is Jack vet Over. There is mister Miles.
Speaker 2: Gray Hey, Hey, hey, I'll me gray Man.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, hey heis.
Speaker 2: Hey, It's me gray Man. Dude, It's the Grayman exact CIA fucking snuff artist.
Speaker 1: We got some exciting news for those of us who were excited to figure out how AI works into a operational earning model in the world of Tell Them Tell Them So. Netflix just did their upfronts. This is exciting time for those of us who work in digital media, and they're basically going to start using AI to let advertisers marry their product with quote the shows and movies that they're streaming. Oh wow, So like literally generative AI commercials are going to be shoehorned into the show itself, Like do you remember did you see those what is it? Serve Cristal Cristal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Star Wars beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if anybody missed that there was a Chilean beer company. I assume this was like happening in the early eighties. This happened in like the early aughts. Yeah, but they were airing Star Wars with like obi Wan would like go an open a thing to get a fucking lightsaber oute, but they would insert a shot of a beer cooler opening with a survey crystal in it, and like somebody wearing what obi Wan was wearing so that it looked like it was in the thing, and then it would go serves Crystal with a guitarist thing. It's basically like that, but without without the fun or soul that is involved in that. That'll just be like, you know whatever, like a Lemondaddy dot com ad in the background of a fucking Stranger Things episode. God, Lemon Daddy, is that a thing outside of Los Angeles?
Speaker 2: That's the thing that's you're talking about. The the car insurance thing, like.
Speaker 1: The car insurance Yeah, just picks whatever. White NBA player plays for the Lakers and puts him in an ad sitting on a car.
Speaker 2: It's always weird how they're like, well, we want the white Laker, right, maybe because you're the most affordable, right, I mean, you know, I mean not Luker. I don't know how you can get Luker.
Speaker 1: And I think it was somebody else before that. Maybe not Maybe I remember being like, oh, Austin Reeves is getting his local ad money on. But anyways, these are billboards around the LA area, and they just always they started out with Austin Reeves when he like started being good. He's like the you know, third best scorer on the Lakers, and then that recently this year, like the Lakers drafted a white rookie and suddenly he started showing up in.
Speaker 2: The This is so fucking this Google AI is so fucking stupid. You search Lemon Daddy Lakers and it says it's a it's a play that the Lakers run called Lemon Daddy. Are you am? I completely out of the loop here because it.
Speaker 1: Is not familiar with that. But maybe they did, like to a self referential play.
Speaker 2: I think what they're doing is like they're taking like they're saying the reference point is like the Laker Film Room podcast had an episode called Lemon Daddy, and it's just like presuming that they run a play called Lemon Daddy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, google a never run about it.
Speaker 2: A play where Reeves, with the ball in his hands, drives to the basket. He can either shoot himself or more commonly, throws an ally you pass to James, who is positioned near the basket.
Speaker 1: I could see them naming naming it that because it is a pretty iconic ad and they're just like, we're gonna call it lemon Daddy so that everybody knows exactly what we're about to do.
Speaker 2: Lemon Daddy, Lemon Daddy, Lemon Daddy. All right, about to drive and then lob it up to Lebron Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They demonstrate an example that plays the image of a product over a background in by one of his shows, like Stranger Things.
Speaker 2: So wait, okay, So then it would just be like here's a fun logo in the middle of a of a scene.
Speaker 1: Basically, I don't know if it's going to be in a scene or if it because one of the things they've started doing is on the ADS supported model, when you hit pause and AD plays sure, Sure, sure, so I don't know that. Maybe maybe they're doing that so you hit pause and then whatever scene you're watching there like has an ad kind of inserted into it. There's no ways that this is going to go wrong or look horrifying or embarrassed brands.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I mean, especially with everything you're reading about the evolution of AI right chat GBT is moving forward and forward and forward. Nothing to see here. Everything's good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually accelerate. I actually just got to push notification from the New York Times saying is the apocalypse near? Because we're not ready for what's coming from the AI world. A story that has been spread around by Sam Altman, whose company just released an aproduct that was too shitty for people to use. And that's like your opinion, man, take it back and be like, psych, we're sorry about that and we are sorry that was bad anyways. Uh So, but I have no doubt this will probably be a AI product that people like, a way for people to make money off of AI. Also, don't really give a shit if they're using AI to make like, like, because ads are already bad, you know, like I don't already ignore them, right yeah, yeah, But it's bad because it's like replacing humans.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, but but obviously like the human replacement part. And I think, I mean, while I don't care about ads because my brain just completely turns off when I'm seeing like an ad. Yeah, I think there's just like the part of the visual being interrupted with some weird shit to be like, hey man, check out fucking these big pens. Like I know, fuck all that. It's too too like back in the future.
Speaker 1: Every time. It's just like a guy coming out from under the screen being like, hey man, you watch him back to the future. Check out these big pens. Chick it. Well, it looks like it's all bendy, right, Hey man, what the fuck you need childcare? Check out Bright Horizons. Man, I keep putting this guy in. Well, that's my cousin.
Speaker 2: Slow down. Check out over here, looking for some good child kit? Check out KinderCare.
Speaker 1: Hey, you did it, You did it? Anyways, while awaiting this fun new innovation, go watch, the Chilian Beer Company adds they're fun or the Passion of the Christ sequel. Oh, the Passion of the Christ sequel.
Speaker 2: We got one of those coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like they're really like this has been talked about for a while, but now it's officially taking shape. We have the company that's going to make it, distribute it. It's Lionsgate, the same company that made the first one.
Speaker 2: Oh right back. They're back at it again, Back.
Speaker 1: At it again, baby Gibson and lions Gate together, I think, you know, I think you know what's got to happen. Gibson. I'm hoping next year sometime. Uh, there's a lot required because it is I'll just tell you this. It's an acid trip that she's still on. Whatever he was on.
Speaker 2: This is an acid trip.
Speaker 1: It's an acid trip. Man.
Speaker 2: What the yeah? Some fucking like they open what what happens at the end? Did they open the cave and he's not in there at the end of the New Testament? No? No, at the end of the First passion Christ, So.
Speaker 1: I think, uh, end of passionate Christ or I believe I believe he No, he dies, they go back and then I believe no, nobody goes back. In fact, I think we just see him emerge from the tomb and he looked mad, kind of like you like, yeah, wow, he looks like.
Speaker 2: It and he's he's like so you really let them do that shit to me, huh fuck all you why and then just starts killing everybody with his Jesus powers.
Speaker 1: It's a super producer. Victor pointed out he does have a machine gun, so I think he's like, this one is going to be Jesus goes to Hell and like goes on this spiritual journey and oh wow wow. Uh. Mel Gibson's like on this next level trad Catholic. It's all about the pain and suffering thing. Our writer Jam made a really good point that I want to acknowledge here. He pointed out that, uh, as they announced Passion of the Christ, to which I think is going to be called Resurrection of the Christ, sort of a dark Knight Rises type situation, but with the Christ, they announced that the next Saw movie was deleted from their schedule, like at the same time, so Saw Levin disappear Past of the Christ to appear on the schedule, and so it's almost like this is a replacement, which is interesting because they are basically the same genre. They're both torture porn movies, you know, and they were the company behind I think the Saft franchise, and they were the company behind the first Passion movie. So I'm wondering there's gotta be like a meeting at some point, because the First Passion movie came out in like two thousand and four, and then like all these torture porn movies came out. I wonder if they were, like our numbers are telling us that people just want to see somebody get torture, because the First Passion is one of the most inexplicable, like massive hits that I've ever seen. It. Like, I watched it in theaters and I was like, what the fuck, Like I've never this doesn't even seem like a movie. It just seemed just watching this dude get the shit beat out of him for an hour.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, oh yeah, well white people needed to see a movie where people that look like them got tortured. Yeah too in a historical man, we love it. Man that was there like Amistad or Twelve Years of Slave.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, look what they did. Look what they did to us us.
Speaker 2: Like you're Christ for this purpose?
Speaker 1: Yes? This was for who us us us?
Speaker 2: Wow? North Carolina.
Speaker 1: Uh. Brian is pitching titles Brian the Editor to Christ too spurious as to the Christ too dead.
Speaker 2: Christening Dead Christening?
Speaker 1: Okay, or the final Christening. I'm liking it.
Speaker 2: Christian impossible, there's but I do.
Speaker 1: Just wonder if they were like this is where the tour, like if we didn't realize it, but the first big torture porn movie, that all those torture porn like horror movies were based on where they were, Like did you see Passion? That movies fucked up? Like I wonder we should start making horror movies. But by this freak Eli Roth who seems to have a fetish or something.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's wild though too. I mean, like cause it's funny to take like a move, like a movie from a guy who's as anti Semitic as Mel Gibson, who's like trying to like the Jews are killing g like that's his whole thing. And then Eli Roth is like, ah, man, he's got it. This the torture stuff's pretty good. I guess yeah, I can ignore all the terrible shit about Mel Gibson. I don't even know why, Like why they do you think this is gonna do good? I just don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think I don't know. I'm sure there will be like a big campaign churches will like buy tickets for people, you know, that sort of thing. It will get like culture War A five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's like, yeah, that's what I feel.
Speaker 1: It was the first movie that was like culture war bait that at a time like before anybody before Trump had even like realized, oh I can be openly racist, and a bunch of people like that because it's such a racist, shitty country, Like people are a like clamor for that. And so he was like that this was a movie where like I remember this is when I worked for ABC News, and like around the release of this, there was an interview with like on the show I worked on where they interviewed mel Gibson and were like, so you're anti semitic, right, absolutely? Not absolutely, but like so your dad is anti semitic. You believe a lot of the same shit. Your dad says, Oh yeah, you've been been on record saying these kind of antisemitic things. You're why are you not? And then like just denied, deny, deny, And then like I think a couple of years later, he got drunk and started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, letting it all hang out, letting.
Speaker 1: It all hang out, Slastika flagfly, okay, Male Geepson if that's your male real name, Hey Meal, that's wild.
Speaker 2: I think, so what it's coming out September twenties because the party was like, shouldn't it be easter? I'm like, well not if it's an acid trip that's meant to just incite people's outright age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it should be.
Speaker 2: This is spooky, but September twenty six.
Speaker 1: Is you're in Lucky see season.
Speaker 2: Okay, acid trips, spooky Jesus Resurrection.
Speaker 1: But they haven't even started shooting this, so I don't know how it's gonna come out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they haven't fucking shot this yet.
Speaker 1: No, and it's supposed to be like a like super expensive, like psychedelic.
Speaker 2: It can't be this year.
Speaker 1: No, it's got to be September twenty six of Like, yeah, I don't know. There is some weird trippy stuff in like the final books of the New Testament, so maybe maybe it'll be interesting. I wonder. I wonder if there's gonna be a part where Jesus comes back to like kill Ponchess Pilot and punches pilots hair falls off, and it should turn out he have wig oh, like in like Mark Wahlberg and Mel Gibson's latest movie. What was that called, like plane airsickness, plane turbulence, turbulence flight wrists, Yah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so very vague aviation term risk, all right, Walmart?
Speaker 1: Yeahs and prices. And they might actually say that it has something to do with and we're not pointing fingers here. I'm not gonna blame at all on nine to eleven. But it might have something to do with the immigrants.
Speaker 2: Oh, orryiff tariffs, Yeah, yeah, they just recent the Walmart CEO just told analysts, like on an earnings call, quote, we will do our best to keep our prices as low as possible, but given the magnitude of the tariffs, even at the reduced levels announced this week, we aren't able to absorb all the pressure. Given the reality of narrow retoom.
Speaker 1: You just want to like get a call from Trump. So he was like, watch, I'll get this, motherfucker.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say, I'm gonna have to tell people that it's about the tariffs. He said, quote, I'm concerned that consumer, that the consumer is going to start seeing higher prices. You will begin to see that likely towards the tail end of this month, and then certainly much more in June. That was what their their CFO said to CNBC today, So, I mean again, I just like, obviously it's the tariffs, and I just wish the media, like I hate the way they don't that they don't frame any of this that also exposes corporate greed, Like, yes, the tariffs are are obviously going to cause prices to go up, but like and also just letting them be like put our margins, you know, rather than being like how much money do you did you make in profit last year? Okay, are you not able to like absorb this cost to help your fucking customers that even buy your shit? Or again, it's because you want to return that in the form of buybacks and you know, reward the shareholders for fucking sticking by you. It's like they don't like Walmart is not a fucking knife's edge. And it's also really ironic. Like back in the day Walmart's like made in America, you know what I mean, was like all their shit and now they're like, bro, like everything's from that's all from cheaper places like China. So yeah, the price is gonna go up.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I can't do anything about it because I have to keep our margins. We have to keep our margins. I just have no sympathy for like these mega businesses small business I mean, obviously those are people dealing with like razor thin margins. Yeah, but something like Walmart when you have like what, let's just see, what's what do you expect us to do?
Speaker 1: Reduce our stock buybacks and give an earnings report that isn't bafo and doesn't drive the line go up? Like that's impossible, that's we would be That was a dereliction of duty. My good sir, Yeah, my god.
Speaker 2: They they're making some billions with fifteen billion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're one of the They revenue wise, I think they're the top company in America.
Speaker 2: But because in one of the biggest employers too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they because they it takes so much money to run a Walmart. They also have lower margins than like an Apple for instance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's just like the irony of like a small business destroying company like Walmart then being like, I mean, we're gonna have there the tear, you know what I mean, and we're not going to dip into this war chest of money that we have.
Speaker 1: It's wild, man. Walmart is like just such a clear example of how neoliberalism and like late stage capitalism works where it's just they just went around the country. You could just like see it like all you know, like when I lived in Missouri, like the everything was Walmart. It was just like a monoculture of Walmarts and then like a bunch of you know, strip malls and stuff with just like shuttered mama pop stores.
Speaker 2: In a ginary store, yeah, a clothing store, a yeah, toy store, and I'm sorry that all became a Walmart.
Speaker 1: Basically they just come through and stick a straw in the ground and drink up all your milkshake. You know.
Speaker 2: I like these right that now, Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a cool metaphor that I made up myself.
Speaker 2: That's sick, dude, that's sick. Uh.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: And we're back. We're back, and we're back. M h and we're back.
Speaker 2: Wow, lean into it.
Speaker 1: What do we what do we? Uh? Most Americans don't earn enough to afford basic costs of living analysis funds. Wow. Uh.
Speaker 2: Based on a general analysis of just looking around at people, I know, I've just come to this conclusion that most Americans don't earn enough to like, yeah and now.
Speaker 1: Please, We've done an analysis. Yeah, and the analysis is in. The numbers are in. Baby, it's bad.
Speaker 2: For the bottom sixty percent of US households. A quote minimum quality of life is out of reach.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the middle class has been declining. We just haven't recognized it fully. Chairman Jean Ludwig told the CBS Money Watch It. It's really dangerous because it's the kind of thing that leads to social unrest. And it's not fair. The American gam is not that it's given to you you. It's that if you work hard, you have a chance to get ahead and achieve the things in life that you want to achieve. It's not living in a tent, not having to steal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm sure Donald Trump is very I do think this is news to to see like CBS News or you know, like that this is the sort of thing that they do. They're like, we have a crazy new report in guys that we haven't really been acknowledging. Is real where things things bad in America. Like we thought jobs were good and everything was fucking skyrocketing.
Speaker 2: It's like it always I feel like we just needed I mean, if I were king, what I would do is you couldn't be talking like on the mainstream media unless you knew actual working people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you were singing that song earlier saying that you just can't wait to be king.
Speaker 2: Yeah that and when I am king, you will be first against the wall was the other king lyric that. But my opinions will be okay, right, yeah with your opinion, which is of no consequence at all. Fuck, I big plans for my opinion. A paranoid fucking android man.
Speaker 1: Paranoid fucking android brother that Karma police ands, which isn't that paranoid? Yeah? Anyways, shout on radiohead. Also terrible politics.
Speaker 2: Nobody's under touch, paranoid android.
Speaker 1: Brian the editor is saying, none of that is getting cut like we wanted it cut. You cut everything else, man, Just make it the us singing that.
Speaker 2: We have to live with our shame every day.
Speaker 1: It's uh yeah, it's beat out there. And I I just like think about the fact that they're like we have some breaking late breaking news like ship reports like this, when they're like, why are kids dissolute llusioned? It must be TikTok? Why why is populist politics popular right now? It must be you know, Trump like has hacked the election, And I was like, no, no, it's fucking this is this everybody's fucking well, the system's not working as bad for everyone.
Speaker 2: This article is really fucked up because it's just describing what's happening with no attribution, no causation, nothing. It's just like yeah, and it's just like one says, the gap between how much low income families earned and how much they need to afford a minimum cost of living is expected to keep widening. Huh Okay, that's it. No solutions and it's gonna get worse.
Speaker 1: And our local meteorologist tells us that this gap is supposed to keep widening. Huh So look out for some stormy weather ahead, folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a fucking wild time.
Speaker 1: But finally, we do have little life hack from I like two miles. When I'm trying to make my life a little bit better, I like to look to the c suite of big, powerful companies because these are the people.
Speaker 2: Who have figured it out the most.
Speaker 1: They are winning. How do I be winning? Easy? Okay? So one of the things I struggle with is a little something called Sunday scaries. You ever have that you feel anxiety too many drugs good Sunday.
Speaker 2: Stop taking them. Then I start feeling so I don't. I don't stop.
Speaker 1: You don't stop taking.
Speaker 2: Sunday scary.
Speaker 1: Thing you got going on Sunday scaries is when if I haven't worked for a couple of days and I'm going back to work, I start to feel dread and tightness in my chest, and UH start to be like, I think I'm bad. You guys, honey, I think I'm bad. I didn't work enough. But we have we have a fucking solution. Yeah, the HubSpot CEO. What's HubSpot?
Speaker 2: HubSpot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no clue.
Speaker 2: It's a US based developer and marketer of software products for inbound marketing, sales, and customer service.
Speaker 1: So doing the lord's work, saving lives every day. Okay, you don't want Sunday scaries, work on Sunday. That's straight up for her advice. What you don't want Sunday scaries, just be working on that weekend. You never stop working, therefore you don't get Sunday scaries. Sunday scaries is just your brain telling you you are a bad capitalist and you suck exactly.
Speaker 2: Just never turn the engine off right and you'll be fine. Burned the candle from both ends and everything will be okay. You know that old adage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're when you're spending time with your family, that's time that you could be avoiding the Sunday scaries. Okay, But guilt for spending time with your family is a good thing, and it's a it's an important messenger letting you know. Yep, uh be afraid of your family.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yep. This is this is amazing, This is amazing. I I like the way these people talk. It's so frightening. But again, we always say like you have to have something wrong with you to get to the c suite, like, oh like, And of course it's either because with you you're the world of capitalism. Yeah, you're so like capitalism poisoned in your brain that you're just like yeah, man. The way like I avoid the work stress of like going back to work, is to never stop working. I will only work forever. And that's how I became impervious to any kind.
Speaker 1: She does break on Friday nights and some part of Saturday, so she is.
Speaker 2: I guess the doctors call that sleeping, But yes, I do give myself a break. I'm not an animal, so.
Speaker 1: I have this app that just re converts my emails to audio and just reads them to me as I'm asleep, so that anytime a new email comes in, I just haven't read to me and I've already processed it in my unconscious mind by the time I wake up.
Speaker 2: Wow, that sounds like so fucked up, like email inception for CEOs, where it's like, yeah, I hook my brain up to this box at night and it's like, I.
Speaker 1: Straight up an email nightmare this week. What do you mean, like any a nightmare where I was like woke up and was like, oh shit, I need to like respond to that email and it was just a bad dream.
Speaker 2: Good God, I'm going to quit the show. I didn't think I was doing a show where a fucking gerb like this, dude, nightmares, Jack, you should try it. You should try just emailing NonStop.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly. Yeah, I'm about that Capital is life. Because I woke up and checked my grabbed my phone and tried to respond to a dream email.
Speaker 2: I woke up like this, you're holding a laptop, okay, Beyonce, Oh no, all right.
Speaker 1: Those are some of the things that are trending on this Thursday afternoon. Yep, we are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get your vaccines while you still can, get your flu shots while you still can. Don't do nothing about white supremacy. And we will talk to y' all tomorrow. Bye bye.
Speaker 2: The Daily Zeit Guys is executive produced by Catherine.
Speaker 1: Law, co produced by by Wayne co produced by Victor Wright, co written by j M McNab, and edited and engineered by Brian Jeffries.