Speaker 1: Welcome into Jags Am. We're on location today. We love a field trip. I'm kind Nannie Stephens, Brian Sexton, John Oh's.
Speaker 2: You're with me.
Speaker 1: We're now in Park, Michigan for joint practice with the Lions. I'm a big fan of Lyne's practice.
Speaker 2: I feel like you always can get a little something out of not going up against your own teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 4: And as as Brian, you know, it's nice to wake up and not feel like you're already sweating. The sweats starting to come in because it is getting warmer. A lot of good matchups talk about today, and.
Speaker 5: We had an opportunity to visit with Mark Brunell, who everyone who's watching knows who's up here as the quarterbacks coach and gets an insight and they're excited.
Speaker 3: We're excited. You know, two.
Speaker 5: Teams that led the league in terms of year over year wins. Both the Jaguars and Lions won six more games in twenty twenty two than they did in twenty twenty one, so both teams are being looked at as up and comers, which makes it a fun day.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, let's get into our big things.
Speaker 1: We're going to start off with one verse one because the ones are going against the ones, and for ones, it's not against their own team.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The Lions and the.
Speaker 1: Jaguars are going to do some joint practices they just started, so they're going to do some of these team drills against each other, and it's nice to see exactly how your team is going to stack up. John, can you just kind of explain how it's a little bit different than what we see on the day to day.
Speaker 4: Well, it's because you're not only getting ones versus ones, meaning they get the opportunity. There's very little work for the backups, and you're getting more extended time for the ones versus the ones because there's just more time to do it. That was a very great explanation, but I think somewhere in there as an explanation. Also, it's different from the preseason game because the coaches can say, hey, we want to get X number of red zone, X number of short yardage. They can control the environment and control what they get a chance to work on.
Speaker 5: Doug Peterson told us in our preseason television production meeting last Friday in Fort Worth that these reps are more valuable than the reps that he could get them in a preseason game because they stacked them. Let me give you one that I'm looking for, and it's not necessarily a one though. I think anybody who's watched Antonio Johnson this year realize he's coming hard and fast. I mean, this is a very talented young safety.
Speaker 3: Why he was available in the fifth round from just don't know.
Speaker 5: But look, there's two guys he's going to get a match up against, Shamir Gibbs, who Mark Burnell was telling us is amazing in space, right, and the tight end Sam Laporta, who is a shifty, very difficult to cover tight end. Well, those are two positions that over the course of the year he's going to have to be able to account for great right, all three rookies, Let's see how he handles two guys who are very highly thought of by the Lions and by the way, by the Jaguars staff.
Speaker 1: John any specific matchups you're looking at, are you just excited to kind of see how the Jags matchup in general?
Speaker 4: Well, then you have to watch Aiden Hutchinson versus anton Harrison, Walker, little whoever he matches up against.
Speaker 3: He's a natural pass rusher.
Speaker 4: Who can do it and It's always good for somebody like Anton Harrison, who hasn't had very many NFL live reps, to get them against somebody hasn't seen it. It's the more you have seen going in a vague season, the better for Anton Harrison.
Speaker 2: And another high pick as well, and Aiden Hutchinson.
Speaker 1: As we know, and I think also we didn't mention, but some of the wide receivers going up against our dvs are going to be interesting. Marvin Jones junior that we're familiar with, and of course I'm onnose Brown who has that boom or bust ability, so you have to imagine for Tyson Campbell that'll be a good match up.
Speaker 5: And Jamison Williams, who again Brunelle was saying, is as fast as he has seen. I mean, the guy can just flat out run. So a lot of these younger defensive backs are going to have their hands full keeping up with that speed today.
Speaker 3: It'll be really good reps for them, and.
Speaker 4: I guess my guess is you will see them try to get some of the younger guys in during those one versus ones times. They're not really ones, but I think the coaching staff once to see some of this third fourth, fifth corner against really good players, so you might see Tyson and Darius Williams come out a little bit whereas some of the other normal starters may not.
Speaker 2: Big thing number two is going to be feeling the heat.
Speaker 1: Now, you can take that two ways, because they're not feeling the heat because we're not in Jacksonville right now, which is a little bit of a nice break. I would assume Doug Peterson talk to a little bit about just kind of getting the team some chill time away where you know, we're not in the beating sun in the middle of the day in Florida. And then also feeling the heat because you know some of these bubble guys or maybe they didn't show out in that first game the way they wanted to. The pressure's on a little bit because we're getting into that section where you need to really show what you have if you want.
Speaker 2: To make this team.
Speaker 1: If you're on the edge, Brian, what do you look for in terms of just whether it's in a game or not, what you need to see?
Speaker 5: Well, cut down days two weeks from today, right so you can count the number of practices, the number of games, and then these guys who are sitting at the bottom of the roster, kui are looking at the number of reps they're going to get. I mean you can count them, right, these guys, No, I only have twenty seven or thirty five more opportunities, and they better be good to overcome any that I made mistake WHI in the game against the Cowboys. So yeah, the heats on. These guys know that every rep counts, because let's be honest, John, from one to fifty three, you can probably put forty seven spots in place and know the roster there's only a handful of jobs. And these guys are going back to their hotel rooms tonight and calling home and saying I did great today, I feel good, or pray for me.
Speaker 3: I didn't have a good day. I need to have a good day tomorrow.
Speaker 4: And that could become even more important Saturday, because I think first team guys are gonna get most of the reps, so the second and third team guys, it feels like Saturday is gonna be a big opportunity for them.
Speaker 1: All right, And our third big thing is would you rather There's an article in the Athletic actually right now that would you rather comparison piece of the Lions and the Jaguars we mentioned there were in similar situations right picking the top of the drafts two years ago, having a comeback, maybe better season than most people expected, and then now there's high expectations. Both they're you know, expected, if not favored, to win their divisions. But which would you rather be? I think I know which side you guys are gonna air on. But there is an argument I assumed to be made for the Lions as well.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 2: Trevor Lawrence, Yes, that's the trump card.
Speaker 1: I'm aware. It's just I think it's situational, right because you look at the division maybe, I mean, the NFC North is kind of whatever Minnesota's going to be, but the other two are kind of out of it at this point.
Speaker 2: So maybe that.
Speaker 5: Well, again, the conversation that we had with Brunel this morning, he likes Dan Campbell, thinks they've got a good staff, likes the ownership. The situation here with a revived team and the facilities they have. Their salary cap is healthy. They've got a talented squad, but they don't necessarily have their guy at quarterback, and in Jacksonville, all of those things are in place. Plus Trevor Lawrence. I read the article two and I got to the end and I'm like, man, so like twenty thousand words and the guy didn't even tell me what he thought. I thought, I think Jaguars are better set up because of Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 3: Is Trevor not practicing it?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think we all know what was I just thought it was interesting. I think we all know we know what the answer is. All right, Staatewa, that's coming up. We're going to talk about the fifty three.
Speaker 1: Some people we have our eyes on that they're gonna get on this final fifty three man roster. But until then, we're live from Joint Practice training camp in Allen Park, Michigan.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. Price dot Com is.
Speaker 1: The easiest way to save money with comparison shopping, cashback coupons, all in one.
Speaker 2: It's free. Tryprice dot com today.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to jags Am presented by Jet Home Loans. We are on location. We're on a field trip, whatever you want to call it. We're in Allen Park, Michigan, joint practice with the Lions.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk over the fifty three.
Speaker 1: This is the segment we do where we talk about either people on the bubble of the roster, people that need to do really well in camp if they want to have a successful you know, showing So who's someone that you guys are looking at that's kind of on the edge right now?
Speaker 3: Seth Williams.
Speaker 5: I'm going with Seth uh six ' two, two hundred and ten pounds, talented wide receiver who made two big third down catches last week in Dallas. You know, we're talking about that sixth receiving spot, and he's the guy who separated himself. I know Harris and Cooks and Jarray Jenkins all made players as well.
Speaker 3: But Williams is the guy who can contribute on special teams.
Speaker 5: And if you're gonna be that sixth guy and you're going to be active on game day, you've got to contribute on teams. And from my understanding, he's ahead in that category. Seth Williams has been really impressive.
Speaker 4: While I went with Jacob Harris for much the same reason. They don't really have a throw it up and go get it guy on this receiving corps right now. Jacob Harris sixty five, I think he's two to ten big guy, so to me, I don't think he'll make the team because I think the numbers will work against him. I do wonder if at some point during the regular season they wish they had a guy like him. I also think he'll definitely be in the NFL somewhere. He was a third round pick by the Rams. He can play, had a really bad injury when he was a rookie. He's gonna catch on somewhere. And he's a guy to me, when they're talking about guys that they're gonna be tough decisions and if they know they're gonna cut good players, he may be top of the list.
Speaker 5: And both of these guys that we've talked about and the guy that you're gonna talk about have all made place consistently on the practice field every day. It's not like they were just flashes. These are guys they're going to try to get through to the practice squad, or if they don't think they can, maybe they can flip them to a team that's receiver needy for a late round pick.
Speaker 1: They're so loaded at the wide receiver position. That's why we're keeping this all wide receiver position. We feel like those first five spots are locked up. I think We've moved Parker Washington into that five spot at least on my list. So the sixth spot is what we're looking at. And as you mentioned, special team is gonna be huge. That's why I picked Tim Jones for mine, just because I feel like he's been here, he's contributed on special teams before, and they know what he's capable of doing, and he saw him doing that in the first preseason game against Dallas, and I think, unfortunately, that's what's gonna come down to.
Speaker 2: If you had an extra spot, maybe you get one.
Speaker 1: Of the taller wide receivers and still that role that you don't have, but I don't know if they have space for it right now. You might try and sneak somebody onto the practice squad, but as we mentioned, it's a very deep position group, so a lot of these people are gonna get picked up by somebody else.
Speaker 5: And you know, John, it's not every year that they keep four tight ends, but when you may that room, they're going to keep all four of those guys. So it's not like you could even have a seventh receiver, any tight ends, or you know, three running backs.
Speaker 3: The numbers just don't work for it. Based on the other position groups.
Speaker 4: Now, I think Tim Jones makes the team, and I think he's gonna be. If he doesn't, he might be their toughest cut because they love him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, all right, stay with us, guys. We're gonna come back get some ozone mail bag questions with the wives, John Oser, and then we'll get you some more details about joint practice.
Speaker 2: Field's Auto Group Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: Step up to Luxury Fields Auto dot Com.
Speaker 2: We are live in Alan Park, Michigan for Jags am on this Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Things are heating up a little, but it's still nowhere near Jacksonville, so it's still a little bit comfy.
Speaker 2: John.
Speaker 1: I know you enjoy this environment, and of course we want your wisdom as we've got a couple of ozone mail bag questions.
Speaker 2: As the viewers always have wisdom you receive.
Speaker 3: Why are you kissing up to him?
Speaker 1: We're gonna start off with zingis from Duval Great love this. It seems to have been a while since a Jaguars defender outplayed his contract or draft position. Do you have any candidates for this year to break out? I'm hoping for Cisco.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, as this reader noted, we cut the question down for space Devon Hamilton started to do that. Oh yeah, first of all, Roll Roberts and Harrison maybe a little bit. He got a new deal this year, yeah, and out played the one that he originally signed. Cisco's a good choice for this. But since the reader mentioned this, I'll go ahead and say, maybe maybe you Seer Abdula, who I mean kind of on this week. I don't know if he was asking about rookies per se, but you see it seems like a guy that can get you four or five sacks, that can get you impact. Cisco's the best choice because as a third round pick, you feel like he's got a chance to be a real breakout guy.
Speaker 3: B Ryan, so I'd go with either of those two. You probably somebody out, No.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think you're absolutely right on Cisco because I think from that Kansas City game in the regular season on he was a real force and offenses had to know where number five was.
Speaker 3: So I think he's the perfect choice.
Speaker 5: And Abdula, you could say so far just Antonio Johnson, Right, sure, two guys just like, what were they doing available so late? Because clearly their playmaxers, Well, they're there that late? Because Scout said Abdullah's too short. I don't know what the story is with Johnson. He has freakish physical abilities, and when you watch that kid, you're like, they can't They're gonna have to find a way to get him on the field.
Speaker 3: He's too good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wonder, how is the only reason I didn't choose him? You wonder where they can find a role for him? You know where they're gonna find a rule for Abdullah, a role for aub dulan third down guy.
Speaker 1: Lots of young options hasn't been talking about, especially showing out in those preseason games. And then our other final question for you from Ozone today is from Michael from Orange Park, Florida. He says, what makes you so sure that the Jaguars will be good this year? Well?
Speaker 4: I chose this question because after a preseason game, everybody, you know kind of nitpicks and oh they didn't do this, they didn't do this, Trevor had an interception, or I didn't like this from the defense.
Speaker 3: I think it's.
Speaker 4: Important rite out right now to remember the big picture, and that's the you know they're gonna be better? Or because you have any any thought that the offense isn't gonna be good. Ryan, No, So no, the defense, I don't think men, they're gonna be as good as last year to me, because they bring everybody back.
Speaker 3: Carl was gonna be better.
Speaker 4: So I think rather than focus on every little thing that worries you, remember Trevor's doing this, the offense, you continue to do this. I don't know what their record will be after five games, but they feel to me like a team it's going to be in ascension throughout the whole regular season, so I don't doubt they're gonna be good.
Speaker 5: Let's use this as a reminder. Preseason games are rarely game planned, right.
Speaker 3: I didn't have a game plan for that one last week.
Speaker 5: They're going in looking at players and situational matchups and how guys play next to each other in the lines.
Speaker 4: You can't be sure you get guys reps.
Speaker 3: That's so right.
Speaker 5: It has nothing to do with how they're gonna play in the regular season. In fact, it's a far cry from when they game plan and the way they're gonna play because they don't want to show anybody anything. Preseason games, ladies and gentlemen, are about evaluation, not about the big picture. So my feeling of why they're gonna be good. Number sixteen is a really big reason why. Oh and zero gives more room in the passing game, and this whole thing is about spacing for guys to make plays.
Speaker 2: They've got those guys everybody else. All right, stay with us.
Speaker 1: We'll have a preview of this joint practice today and we'll let you know what's coming up. Jags fans, if you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, you can check out zipcar dot com zipchair dot com to browse all customizable options. Zip chair is furniture for fans. Guys. We're out here at joint practice Allen Park, Michigan. Today's probably their full pads today, so it maybe a little more physical than what we might see tomorrow. But is there any drills or anything in particular you look forward to when there's joint practice.
Speaker 4: I'm mainly a Brian eleven on eleven. You just want to see how these guys fare against each other when they're put in a position to make plays against an opponents in general.
Speaker 3: But that's what it is.
Speaker 5: You're absolutely right, and I'm gonna go more specific than that. You can't get away from the Trayvon Walker Aiden Hutchinson comparison, obviously, was one of the first questions asked to Doug in his news conference by a Detroit reporter today. Hutchinson was a proven pass rusher. He had a big season last year. We knew Traybon was gonna have to work to evolve as a pass rusher.
Speaker 3: Let's see how he does today.
Speaker 1: We'll have a ton to bring you tomorrow. Jag XAM will be live out here tomorrow again at joint practice, and we're gonna head out now and get
Speaker 2: All the details for you to share with you, so we'll see it then