Speaker 1: Hi, guys, what you're trying to get into?
Speaker 2: What day is soon? What you're trying to do? That's a ringtone right there, Buba.
Speaker 1: That's a fire song.
Speaker 2: By the way, it is a song.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you. Since I told our listeners about it and you remind you about it, I've been singing it NonStop. It's like, you know how you usually get like a summer hooky song in your head. My summer hooky song in my head is what you're trying to get in.
Speaker 2: I'm that's amazing because twenty years ago your summer song was turn me inside out. So I can't speak because you're.
Speaker 1: Every we.
Speaker 2: When I when I got out.
Speaker 1: Michelle Branch knows how many shout outs she gets on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she should know because she's not alone.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, I I think Michelle Branch must be aware that how many times over the years I've spoken about her.
Speaker 2: Do you think Michelle Branch gives two shits about us?
Speaker 1: Do you think? Yes? I think Michelle Brand likes any people that are talking about a song she wrote twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: I hear that, man.
Speaker 1: I learned what happened to her.
Speaker 2: She joined a so she she I think she got married, had kids, joined a band.
Speaker 1: Doesn't mean she gave up her musical she did.
Speaker 2: She was. She's in a band right now. It's her and another young lady and they do a they do music together.
Speaker 1: But the fuck would they do as long as they cover Ebby?
Speaker 2: To me, they do very they do, uh that very good. Casey put me onto them because you know how Casey works in music sometimes, And she put me onto them and was like, Yo, she's dope. She joined a band. I rocked.
Speaker 1: I rock out to her in my trouble. You know, I've been thinking about putting my my my sort of girl pop workout list on the on on on the web so people.
Speaker 2: Can do that ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do that ship, yeah, because iTunes needs that. Yeah, people listen. I can never find a workout playlist that suits my needs. Right. A lot of people clearly agree with you on on rap and hip hop because if you go on like the standard playlist on iTunes or wherever, they're all like ninety five percent that and and like hits one is all like stuff I don't listen.
Speaker 2: To, like Wu Tang do you don't listen to the Wu Tang?
Speaker 1: I don't listen to no I don't listen to Wu Tang.
Speaker 2: Do you know who? But you know who method man is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course he was in Garden State.
Speaker 2: That's right, that's right. But you know he's in it. You do know that he is in a band with about twelve people call other Wu Tang members.
Speaker 1: There's Wu, There's Tang, there's clan.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say some names, and you're gonna be like, oh, yeah, I've heard of them. Of course, A dirty bastard.
Speaker 1: Of course I've heard of him. He was, he was, he died.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, he did. The Rizza, Yeah, I've heard.
Speaker 1: I can picture him, dude.
Speaker 2: The Riza.
Speaker 1: We hung out with him one night and you spell it rza.
Speaker 2: I know that. Yeah, we hung out at chateau. He came through and kicked it with us that night. We would hang You're not supposed to talk about chateau on this actually, so let me take that back. Well, you know what happens at the chateau is supposed to stay at chateau.
Speaker 1: Right now, you can't be dropping chateau things. I hung out with Drake at the chateau.
Speaker 2: Once you see, look at you spilling the beans.
Speaker 1: Okay, get ahead. Who else Rizza ODV method Man, method Man, ghost Face Killer. Yeah, I've heard of him. I can't picture his face. I can't you God, you God, I don't know you God. The jizzer, I don't know the jizza.
Speaker 2: That's the genius, uh inspector deck. There you go.
Speaker 1: Wow, there's a big band. A lot of people in this band.
Speaker 2: People. Oh yeah, it's a huge band.
Speaker 1: You really like their music a lot?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? I smoke on the mic, like smoking Joe Frazier, the hell Raiser, raising hell with the flavor, terrorizing jams, like troops in Pakistan, swinging through your town, like your neighborhood spy. The man so armed, TikTok keep ticking. Come on, now, you don't know nothing about the wu tang okay I came yo e t h o d man e t h o d man. Hey, you get off my cloud. You don't know me and you don't know my now you don't notice.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I have a question though, when you when you have a big like rap supergroup like that, are there they all dirty?
Speaker 2: Baby? I got your money, don't you worry?
Speaker 1: I said, Hey, I know that song. Yeah, that's before you go into another song. I have a question. Do they all take turns like I'm gonna rap now, all right, now you're up you rap now that kind of thing, like like like they take turns.
Speaker 2: Well, some of them have like a connection. So remember run DMC growing up, Yeah, right, yes, yes, yes, the Adidas my Adidas, right, those two had a connection. So when they rapped, they could when they rhyme, they could bounce off of each other. Some people it's like you and I, how we have a good uh how we have good chemistry? Same thing with rappers, right, and you look for when you're a rapper, you look for that person that you have chemistry. Drake and Future have really good chemistry together. So they do a lot of records together. And so it's the same thing you know, uh in in the Wu Tang because it was so big, the wo was so big, there are little tiny groups with inside the sub groups within the Wu. Right, So ghost Face and uh ghost Face and Ray Kwana Chef. That's the one I forgot to mention. I should have put Ray Kuana. He got the best. He got probably the best bill for Cuban Linx is probably the best Wu Tang record in my opinion. It's got so many good songs on it. Anyway, ghost Face and Ray Kwan do very well together and on record they bounce off of each other very well. So they are Now who's your favorite?
Speaker 1: If you had to pick one member of the Wu Tang clan, that's like your favorite rapper in the group.
Speaker 2: The Jizz, the Genius, I like him a lot. I liked o dB a lot. I like I like Meth Method man, I like I like all of you. To be honest, are they still Are they still? Like ghost Face got somebody when the world's normal?
Speaker 1: Do they still tour?
Speaker 2: I hope? So it's a lot of egos, man, it's a lot of them, man, how do you do that? How do you That's like? Look, the Jackson five couldn't stay together and they were brothers. How do you do it?
Speaker 1: When we go on the road eventually touring this show, I feel like your ego is gonna soar like an eagle out of control.
Speaker 2: It depends on if they.
Speaker 1: You're gonna want, You're gonna have demands, you're gonna have in your rider. There's gonna be all sorts of rules, no eye contact.
Speaker 2: It all depends on how loud they applaud for me if they applaud for you louder then they applaud for me, I feel like I'll fall into a little you know, back into a way. Well, we're gonna Dan when going applaud for me more than they applaud for you. You damn right, man, I want my bus to be bigger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna measure up. We're gonna have the same bus. Listen when Dan, We're gonna bring Dan and Joel, and Dan's gonna bring his thunderous applause button, so we'll be able to augment whatever the crowd does. We'll be able to augment the audience. You ever were looking at an award show and you hear the applause on an award show and then you look around and no one's clapping. Yeah, like like like no one in an award show is paying attention, so that they they'd be like a third of them clapping, so they just augment all this thunderous applause. Well, that's gonna be what Dan is doing for us.
Speaker 2: When we're on tour with this show. So before we before we start the show, Dan will be like, all right, so I need some thunderous applause from you. Guys. Okay, everybody, and now I need some laughter, need some laughter.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, bro, he's just gonna bring it. It'll be, it'll be, it'll be a button.
Speaker 2: Well, hell yeah, he's gonna be. He's gonna bring it. Dan always brings it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dan's gonna bring it, dude.
Speaker 2: He's gonna bring it. Of course he brings it. We're gonna applause.
Speaker 1: I think we're probably gonna play arenas and and we're gonna and we're gonna need to do sound checks at these arenas.
Speaker 2: If we play arenas, imagine that. Imagine we go to London. Yeah, and what's the big arena to the O two two and we play the O two That would be the best day of my life. I'm gonna tell you something right now, London, make it, make it happen. Let's put it out there like that shit.
Speaker 1: Listen. I'm sure, I'm sure we're gonna be playing like four hundred seed theaters. But in reality, let's secret it that we sell out the O two arena for fake doctor's real friends.
Speaker 2: That would be the best. That would be the best night of my life. Listen.
Speaker 1: You got to put ship out there. You got to put outrageous ship out there and make it come true. Remember I told you about the whiteboard. You'd get a whiteboard and you write the most outrageous ship you want to have happened in your life and you look at it every single day.
Speaker 2: Who'd you say, did that? Well?
Speaker 1: I have a lot of people in my life have told me this, but the great the anecdote I referenced on the show was I'm friends with John Legends manager and they her name is Ti and they went to a high school together. And she said, when he first started, they got a big whiteboard and they were putting them out. They were like, let's be outraged, like I don't know, cover of Time magazine, like this, many Grammys. They were like sitting there laughing about the outrageous ship they were putting on this whiteboard. And she to me and she said, every single thing on that whiteboard happened. And she said, now I do whiteboards with all my clients and and like you know, so anyway, it's about manifesting, it's about making shit happen. I have a whiteboard in my bedroom and I'll some some things on there are like goals I have, and some things on there are like outrageous. I mean, obviously we're not gonna sell its arena, but I'm saying you can.
Speaker 2: You can put that shit on the board. It could happen. It happened for John Legend. Man, the dude's got egot. He got the egot. Let's make it happen.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe we have to bring John Legend. If it was like if we open for John Legend, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's call on Legend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, listen, the guy's got an egot. Okay, So put your egot on your board. I believe in it because you look at the board every day, and even in your subconscious brain, your mind is going, I'm gonna find a way to work on that today. I'm gonna make that call I'm afraid to make. I'm gonna, you know, for some people, it's fitness. They're like, you know what, I just looked at that whiteboard, and I gotta get on the treadmill today. I promise myself.
Speaker 2: I like her. I'm gonna I'm gonna put the white board in my in my bedroom, get white share it with Casey, and I'm gonna be like, baby, let's put the most outrageous Yes, on this board.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you listeners, this is the you know, Brene Brown, very popular. This is our Brene Brown moment. This is our self help motivational moment on Fake Doctor's Real Friends. You can make anything happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, dude, I love this. I love this. I love you. I love that we did this together, the four of us and our and our listeners. Yeah, what's you make that shit happen? Let's do I have a sweatshirt on today because my wife of those Bieber things. No, it's Mickey Mouse, you.
Speaker 1: Know, my my my forty something crisis is being managed by just getting lots of tattoos.
Speaker 2: Nice. Good for you, man.
Speaker 1: I was always afraid to get tattoos because my father hated them. And when my sister died, I got her name in Hebrew on my on my arm, and my father kind of like was okay with that because it was you know, meaningful and it was Hebrew. And then when he pass way, like I realized that so much, even though I was in my forties, I still was so nervous about what my father would think. And then I was like, all right, it's time to fucking tattoo the ship out of myself right on.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna have a sleep soon.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know about a sleep. But where do you want your face? When I get it, I was thinking my left areola.
Speaker 2: I was thinking your face for sure. I mean, what if I.
Speaker 1: Did you on my pictoralus major and then listen and then your mouth was open, but then in your mouth was my left ariola.
Speaker 2: That's weird. That's weird. I prefer you just got my face on your face, like you took my face and tattooed it on your face.
Speaker 3: Episode about this.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't say on his whole face, like my face on his cheeks. I don't know. Second, I don't see I don't.
Speaker 1: Jellify his black face. If I Joe, can you imagine?
Speaker 3: You can?
Speaker 2: All you can think of him painting my face on his face.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't face off text, but like a tattoo.
Speaker 2: For right, No, it would be an outline.
Speaker 1: Joelle, Joelle, it would be an outline. Joelle's like now managing all of our black face issues. She's like, guys, sounding like that might be black face. Hey, guys, I got to chime in here. That sounds like it might be black face. Joelle would be an outline. It wouldn't be like colored in, it would be it would be an outline of Donald's face.
Speaker 2: Well, I would just want it on your cheek or on your forehead, you know.
Speaker 1: Any Way, the guy tattoos me told me that we were talking about all these young kids that are getting tattoos on their face and how ridiculous it is. And he said that he's really surprised that any of these artists are doing it because there's sort of this unwritten code amongst tattoo artists that you would never put a tattoo on a young person's face, right, and because for obvious reasons, And he said, and now that there's this fad of it happening, he thinks that they're all just doing it for Instagram fame, because these kids are often, you know, famous people, and they're doing it saying, fuck it, I'm gonna get my fifteen minutes of fame. But you know, obviously, get these young people that are all tattooing the share of their faces.
Speaker 2: Dude, you might not be able to get the money later, you know what I mean, Get the money now if you can. That's that's the that's the yolo man. You only live once you know, are.
Speaker 1: You would tattoo a child's face?
Speaker 2: Donald, I'm not. First of all, I am not a tattoo artist, so I'll never have to put myself in this situation.
Speaker 1: You just told these sex guys and tattoo someone's face.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, the reasoning behind it is this, dude, do you You don't listen. If scrubs didn't happen, you don't know what you would have done to make them to make ends meet. If you're acting, if you're acting and directing stuff, you know what I mean? You could have gone into a business that you might not be proud of. You might be. You might Instagram model right now and a dong talking about followers.
Speaker 1: I love how these girls Instagram influenced people. They took like a little time off for COVID and the Black Lives Matter movement, and now they're all back fucking tushes in the air, selling tea on some yacht and a visa.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, yolo. Nobody says yolo anymore, they say these days. I don't know TikTok dancing. I've been inside so long, I have no idea what the kids are saying.
Speaker 1: While they're all on some old guy's yacht doing a TikTok dance. But you know what, they must have put that shit on the white board.
Speaker 2: Imagine that was on the white board. Imagine that's the white board. I bet you want to be that's their fucking whiteboard.
Speaker 1: I want to be on a yacht having somebody pay for it, making that Instagram money.
Speaker 2: That's what's up. That's what hey there it is. Go for yours, listen. That's what I say to everybody and anybody out there who has dreams and they want fame. As long as you don't disrespect nobody or hurt nobody, go for yours. Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you can try and go for something that contributes to society in some meaningful.
Speaker 2: Way, sure you can. Aren't yourself later on? You got everybody has something to say. I miss you so much at Her, I miss you so much more. Dude.
Speaker 1: Should we get into the show? Tom Kavana's here.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited about count seeing six seven stories about show we made about a bunch of dogs, and nurses said, he's the story is news. So get round you here, yea here.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 1: What a show? What a show we have today? Donald, It's a really good episode and the hilarious Tom Cavanaugh's here. We have so much to say. Let's just get in, Dan, allow him into the room. Here he comes. I haven't seen him in years. I haven't seen him in years.
Speaker 2: Tom call look at some.
Speaker 1: Applause, Dan thunder a plause.
Speaker 2: Look at how handsome you. It's like, look at you and look at him, like.
Speaker 1: Look at in the mirror.
Speaker 4: It's that's that's pandemic.
Speaker 2: You've got the pandemic face going on.
Speaker 1: Now. You did get more handsome with age, Tom Cavanaugh, And I can say that because people think we look alike.
Speaker 4: This is true. I can say, likewise, my friend, look at you guys, My goodness, gracious, I'm so good, so good to see your faces. Holy man, see.
Speaker 2: Your Are you living in Canada or do you live in the US?
Speaker 4: Still well, I live in New York, but I film a show in Canada, and when the pandemic hit, I stuck it up north. Hi, Joel, I'm Tom.
Speaker 2: By the way.
Speaker 4: I'm nice to meet you in person. I listened to you guys, so I've sort of been familiar with that.
Speaker 2: Do you know what? I watched your show? Right? You know? I watch your show.
Speaker 4: I don't know that, but I know you have like twenty seven children, so I figure maybe in that demo some well.
Speaker 1: But not watching it for his kids. He's watching it for him.
Speaker 2: So for me, I love the Flash. Dude, are you kidding me? That's trumandic gott a dynamite cast.
Speaker 1: Donald is your target, tom he watches all of this stuff. C W is a bunch of teams window.
Speaker 2: How does how did listen? Man? Are you? Is this the only?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Listen? Man? Is this the only Wells? Now? Are you the only?
Speaker 3: Is this?
Speaker 2: Is this the final Wells? Because the Mousie Verse, the crisis happened and everything happened. You know, there's only what like four earths five earths now in the whole arrow Verse, and now Supergirl lives on Earth one with you guys, And I don't know. My point is. My point is, let the man fucking speak, dude, No, no, no, keep going.
Speaker 1: He's getting worked up, Tommy.
Speaker 2: I'm really excited because I really do love the show. I really do love the show. Now you and Cisco Ramone together, I love Wells and Cisco Ramon. I love the whole thing. So look, my question is, are you the only Wells left now that you've gone off and you've become pariah and everything like that is just the only Wells there is.
Speaker 4: Here's what's ridiculous about doing the show, a superhero show. I run into people like like you, and I just I am so inferior with my knowledge. I'm like, you know more, you know more than me. And I'm not exaggerating. I'm not trying to play Donald like. I understand by listening to you that you have a better grasp of the whole thing than I do. I feel like, as you guys know, when you do a long running television show, if there needs to be another Wells, there can be another Wells.
Speaker 2: That's what's up. I thought they were. Yeah. Absolutely, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Can you explain, Donald? First of all, catch your breath, calm down. Okay, you're embarrassing us in front of our guests.
Speaker 2: Listen. This is this is exactly what I did to George lucas Man. This is exactly what.
Speaker 1: I can get too high. And by the way, when this show's over, he's gonna take a nap because he's gonna get woozy. He gets very amped up and then he gets woozy.
Speaker 2: This is what. This is all the fans out there who were wondering how I geek out when I when I meet or talk to people that do something that I'm like, holy shit about this?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: Right here? I can't breathe right now. I sweating. I know I have a sweatshirt on, but I'm sweating under here.
Speaker 1: All right, But calm down now. For those of you who don't know, Tom is on the Flash. And as I understand it, with the c W Superhero shows, you bounce around to the other shows in the same universe, right and they all they're all under the Greg Burlany umbrella.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing.
Speaker 4: Yes, the golden Boy of Hollywood that used to be Bill Lawrence is now Greg Burlanty and has he has four hundred shows on the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Part by the way, my very first job, Tom cavin well first lead in the movie was Broken Hearts Club, Greg Burlanni's first movie. That's tremendous, and and now and and and he we went to Northwestern together and he now he's like, has the most shows on television of anybody.
Speaker 4: You and I when we were talking about doing your podcast, Uh, the text that came up right next to that text the last time we talked. Can I can I read a text that you as long.
Speaker 1: As it's not like you up, it's quite It's like four in the morning and I'm hammered. You up.
Speaker 4: It's solid comedy. It's you say, tell Berlany, I want to do a cameos reverse Flash's brother. I say done. You say, totally unbuild though a surprise. But I'll need special powers. I say, make a list, power list, nothing with heavy hammers. That shit is boring. You say, laser eyes please. I say those are free.
Speaker 1: That sounds great.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's a miss.
Speaker 1: Why did that never happen?
Speaker 4: I know what I feel like now that I've done this, and I know that Donald wants to be on board, I feel like now it's just now. Now you're forcing his hand because you're putting it out to the public, and I was going to have to hire you.
Speaker 2: We were talking about white boards and putting manifesting your destination onto white boards. This is on my white board. I'm putting it out there right now.
Speaker 1: I want to call Brilanny and I had to call him about something else, but I want to call Brilanny and say listen, Tom said, I could be on the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I have that kind of yes.
Speaker 2: I spoke to.
Speaker 4: He said, like, hang on a second, Tom, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's got he's got so many he's got so many shows. He's like Tom Tom Tom Tom he is, I know he is. And then he called he calls to a secretary. Do we still do Flash? Yeah? But by the way, how funny would that be if Donald and I came on? I mean, I don't, to be honest, I don't. I don't get breathless about this superhero stuff like Donald, but he really loves it. So sorry, I digress.
Speaker 4: You should do the other thing you should do Donald. You should figure out knowing it as you do. You should figure out what the what the role is that you.
Speaker 2: Want because I know what role I want. There's what do you want? I want mine?
Speaker 4: Don't say mine.
Speaker 2: I kind of like, listen, I'm gonna put it out there. What do you want to open? You guys kind of opened it up when Arrow ended, And I know, I'm not sure if you guys are allowed to touch it. You kind of touch on it in Stargirl. But I think Green Lantern needs to be in this, you know what I mean. Joelle is a Joel's a big fan of this world too, And there's so many There are so many that are in the Lantern core and I know that you know. And also size doesn't matter when you're a Lantern. You could be tiny, you could be why, you could be right, come on, man. Anyway, My point is I think that's one character that would be a lot of fun to play, you know. They there's so many people in the DC universe. But if I had a choice and they were willing to do it, I would love to be Green Lantern.
Speaker 4: All right, And I think I think that's really special. And dear to Greg, so I think that's great You're making this happen.
Speaker 1: New Slash and the Green. Can the Green Lantern be forty six?
Speaker 4: He could be anything, he could be any Look, I'm playing the reverse Slash. I'm not a yellow. I'm wearing a yellow super suit.
Speaker 1: And sorry Tom for those of us who don't know, and I'm sure of our listeners don't know. Can you just explain in in non superhero terms what reverse Flash means? Is there a young guys flash.
Speaker 4: Yes, there's a good looking It's kind of like when we did Scrub, Like a good looking, handsome guy is the lead, and then they cast this guy as his brother Bill Lawrence had lost a bet somewhere. So basically a young guy Tom.
Speaker 1: When you insult your looks, you insult my looks. So you're a handsome you look like to me when you when you when you came on, I thought we got I thought we got Tom Kavanaugh. Why is Brad Pitt on the podcast?
Speaker 4: That's what that's what you thought?
Speaker 1: Okay? Sorry? What is the Reverse Flash? For those of us?
Speaker 4: So he's the he's the Joker to the Batman, the Lex Luthor to the he's the bad guys that we have. A young fellow, Grant Gustin plays the Flash and the arch Enemy is the Reverse Flash. He wears a red suit, and I play the arch Enemy the reverse Slash e art on. I wear a yellow suit. And that's kind of it.
Speaker 1: Are you doing lots of stunts and fighting? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Can you imagine it's crazy? You know that bucket list that you have as an as an actor, and you want to do this theater, You want to do this show. You want to do something like shows, you want the whiteboard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we started, we started the show time before we came on talking about just manifesting things by putting on a whiteboard and staring at it and me it.
Speaker 4: Was weird to be in your green room and not have the speakers going. I'm like, I wonder what they're talking about.
Speaker 1: We were talking about you, we were talking about manifesting, and then you well.
Speaker 4: That's exactly. That's a great that's such a great call. This is one of those things I never would have expected to do a superhero show, and it's a you know, in terms of a bucket list, it's it's so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you guys look like you have a lot of fun on it.
Speaker 1: And it has no end in sight. On your show, it has no end in sight. I mean, I just feel like the Greg Briland keeps adding more and more to this, to this world, right, I don't know if they're all they all must be successful because they all keep going.
Speaker 4: I honestly, I honestly don't know. I never would have thought. I think when they started a number of years ago, they had uh and they've done super No, it was the Superman show, small though, and then they did Arrow and Arrow I think did well. And then but when we started Flash, you guys, you guys all know how it is. We started flashing. I said to my wife, well, this'll be this will be canceled in seven so I'll go up to Vancouver from New York and we'll shoot and then it'll get canceled. Because even at that time, I had done two shows for Greg and both of them had, you know, been canceled relatively quickly, because that's just how it goes. And so I didn't foresee it, you know, I just I never expected to go, and this thing seemed to go. And even when you say there's no end in sight, I still expect that you'll just get the call. Hey, so yeah, we're done.
Speaker 2: You just never know.
Speaker 1: For those for those of you not in the entertainmentustry, we just we just never know.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: You get you get a show like Scrubs and you're like, oh, yeah, this could go six episodes and then it goes nine years, or you know, or or you know, Donald's did this show and it when a season, and I did a show when a season. You just have every single time it's a roll of the dice, no matter no matter how many good ingredients there are, you just never know.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, and most of the time the numbers are it's gonna get canceled.
Speaker 1: It's not going to go right, especially now more than ever, because you know, it's there's so much content. How the hell does the something fine eyeballs? You know, and you're on the classic old school true network.
Speaker 2: You know, you guys do twenty four episodes a season. Do you know what it's like to be able to do something like most I remember? I remember I did a show called The Exes right after Scrubs.
Speaker 4: Right of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did ten episodes a season. That was it for an actor. It's like, wait, well, hold on, let's I want to be I want to work all year round if I possibly can. It was really weird to work ten episodes and then have all of this time off until you came back and did another ten. Or you would do what we would do thirty and they would just chop it up into episodes. It was like you never really find you never really find a pace or a footing. It's like, well, how long are we going? We're only going to do ten twenty two? You guys seem to you know, you live in Canada right now? Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Is it Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada, Conifers Jewel of the city. Have you guys been I have.
Speaker 2: I love that town too.
Speaker 1: I think it's a beautiful city. I love it there. I was there when the sun was out and it was magnificence. Yes, And then I was told that it's not always like that, and I don't know if I would if I would like it rainy.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, it's a it's a question of taste, like when the sun shines. There's no finer place. I don't mind the rain. But I think if you were somebody that didn't like rain and preferred like seasons in snow, then this city would not be for you. But it really is. It really is a coniferous jewel of a city.
Speaker 1: And are you mostly on stages and such or do you go out and shoot on locations and stuff.
Speaker 4: It's it's almost follows a pretty regular schedule where we do a lot of stage work early in the week and then we do all this the stunt stuff. You know, it's always you know, so Thursday, Friday nights, we're gonna be we're gonna start at you know, five pm, or we're gonna go all night and we're gonna like, you know, have the guy run up a building and fight a monster and then like we're gonna come back and win, you.
Speaker 2: Know, So you kind of you kind of you kind of have to stay in shape for this thing, like you're you're asked to do way more than you expected to do when you started. Huh.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's a blessing and a curse, you know, because the other thing is too is as you guys know too, Like I mean, I'm older than you guys, but there's a there's a thing where you when you were a young actor, you could be vain, but you wouldn't really matter because you're probably gonna look fine, you know. And then you get a little bit older, and then your coach, the people you're acting with, your co actors are twenty eight twenty nine, you know, and they are fantastic, and then there's you, you know, and he's he looks great in the suit. And then you can't really be on the donut diet while you're on the suit, so you kind of have to keep keeping in shape, you know.
Speaker 2: And so it's do you hang out with Jesse l Martin a lot?
Speaker 4: Jesse is a legend, as you guys know, coming from her. He's just he's amazing. He's got this thing sus because he's the captain. You know, he can he work it with a hat and an overcoat. He doesn't have to worry too much of it. You know. He's just like he's kind of like he runs. He basically is the beating heart, you know, runs the show, the center of you know, reason, and uh, you know he's he's got a great job and appreciates it.
Speaker 1: So Tom when ed, when the show ed, I want to talk about that. When it came out, I was an unemployed actor and my mom called me very very concerned that I that I that I had gotten a lead in the TV show and not told her because she didn't understand why why I was on billboards all over the country.
Speaker 4: And is true, that's how it is.
Speaker 1: I mean, no, it is, I mean she she she obviously sused that it was not me, but she was like, there is a young man who's on every billboard in town and he looks a lot like you. And I remember thinking, oh, yeah, mom, that's that's not me. Uh yeah, I'm still still trying to get some auditions going and uh and it was really humbling because I was like that fucking guy who looks exactly like me as a as a hit show leading role on NBC. Now, no one's ever gonna hire me. By the way, Dak Sheppard, who also looks like us, told me this. He was like when I was, when I was, you know, became famous and was all over the place. He was like, well, how is this gonna fuck my career? Because I look like that guy and that guy's already working and so anyway, I wanted to talk to you about Ed and tell us I imagine that was your big break, right, I mean, I know you worked a bunch, but that was your first your own show, right for sure?
Speaker 4: I mean, first off Dax's and you have done quite well for yourselves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I worked out guys so's Ray Romano.
Speaker 1: Yes it worked out, it.
Speaker 4: Didn't work out, but yeah, I had done I'm Canadian and I had I moved to New York City and I think eighty nine to do Broadway. I did like a decade of theater and I absolutely loved it, absolutely, one hundred percent loved it. And then I had done a small guest spots for literally for ten years on ABCNBC. Back then there was like just the four right, and I'd done a show called Providence and then But I had no idea of the profile that you guys enjoyed on Scrubs because the shows a lot of the shows that I had done when they were television shows or series. I've done a couple of series in Canada, they were Canadian shows, and there's no cross border pollination between the two countries. In other words, you'll shoot a show in Canada and you'll do ten episodes, but everybody in Canada is watching Friends, you.
Speaker 1: Know, So who's watching these Canadian shows?
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's different. In Canada. There's a federal mandate for these television shows, so they do them, and some of them are quite quite good. And there's not a there's not a mill the way there is behind the entertainment industry and the States. Up in Canada, it doesn't, you know. Part of the ethos of the country is like, well, let's not get too big for ourselves then, you know, and so and in the States it's very much the opposite, like let's see how we can build up and how big we can get. And why that why that ethos is good is that you know, you you if you're working as an actor, you're working largely because you love it because a lot of the attention, at least back then. Now it's different because everything can be found. But back then, you know, you were you were doing the same stuff we would do on Scrubs that you'd come to set and there's all the you know, the crew, and there's the people and it's and it's great and you love it. And then you leave set and it's still the exact same experience. It's just that you're not going to radio City Music Hall and doing the upfronts, you know what I mean. And so but it's nice in this way because you understand that, oh, this is this is what I love to do. And by the time I got ed, like you know, fifteen years later, it was I was aware enough that it was it's still the same experience. And so even though suddenly, like you say, there was like billboards plaster all over the place, I was readily aware that you know that that was all that that can get ripped away and it's semi superficial, and so I think that was a nice little I don't know what it would be like to have your face plastered all over the place when you're in your mid twenties. I think it would be a I think it would be a tough fight.
Speaker 1: We didn't. We didn't get a big billboard buy right, Why the NBC didn't go They certainly went all in. Whoever made the billboard decision for ED went all in, And by the time Scrubs came on, they were like, dude, remember a few years ago we shot our billboard budget on ED. We have no billboard Scrubs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm so sorry about that, because why that's why you guys didn't get that big bill But what was funny is like I remember when the when Scrubs started, how just how much of a splash it made. I'm sure you can remember, and it's not lost on you, how like big a deal that that was. Like that show was so important, it seemed at the time.
Speaker 1: It was bizarre for us because also, you know, we compare it to now, you know, the amount of people watching a single TV show just doesn't happen anymore, especially live, we really even at all, but let alone live when it's airing. So it was a completely different eras that would watch.
Speaker 2: Our worst at our worst TV shows. Now, if they got our worst numbers right, yes, they would be considered hit shows. Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Noie, Tom, was was ed written for you?
Speaker 2: Or did you audition?
Speaker 4: No? No, no, no, they didn't No, no, that was again, that was NBC. They didn't want me at all, Like we had to. They went through, I think a year of casting known people and you know, better humans, you know.
Speaker 1: And then well, you know, just just so people that weren't in the entertainment industry know, they'll often try and get a known star that's right, and if that doesn't always work out for the reasons, and then they go, okay, well let's start to read people that aren't famous yet, and which is when this is how people like the two of you. Well, yeah, I mean exactly exactly. It's exactly how both Tom and I got our parts exactly.
Speaker 4: I was like the third I think, the third round or so of doing it. The only reason I had that job. I remember how generous you were at Bill's fortieth and we had the party, and he was you know, you were like, you were just so gracious about because you're clearly incredibly talented, and yet you had the wherewithal to say, I owe so much to this guy. And I had the same story. There's a Robernette and John beckhaman who ran the Late Show with Letiman, were those are the guys that the only reason I got the job is those guys said this is the guy, and you know, they managed to have enough stock that people would listen to them. And without without somebody standing up for you, sometimes you just it just doesn't you know, it doesn't go your way. Those people are the only reason.
Speaker 2: I got that job.
Speaker 1: Do you know how many odd times you auditioned.
Speaker 4: I know I auditioned once in Los Angeles, and you know how it is when you're like, oh, that that went well. You feel good about it, but I was also like, okay, it was pilot season and it was like one read during the day, but it felt good. And then then they called me to have the the sessions that they do. They have a studio session and network session, and it was very It was like and this is I hope this isn't boring.
Speaker 2: I don't mean to talk about.
Speaker 4: But they we went and we had to do it. It was at CBS at the time. By the way, I don't know if you guys know that show that was CBS, not NBC, and CBS ultimately didn't think so they got picked up at CBS, and then CBS ever aired the show, and then a year later NBC picked it up, which is weird.
Speaker 1: So that never happens.
Speaker 4: It never happened.
Speaker 1: Every time you make a pilot, it's always such a bizarre thing, both when I've been in them or when I've directed them. You put so they put so much money in, they put so much work in, and then a network chooses what they choose, and then the disc cards are like they have like the smell of shit on them. No one will touch them, and it's like, it's like, what someone just spent six million dollars making this pilot. You could look at it and maybe RecA maybe you could recast some things, you could you could reshoot half of it, whatever, Well, why are you throwing it all the way? It's so it's always a bizarre waste of money to me, because there's there's diamonds in the rough that no one is So this situation is very rare that then another network weave man will take it.
Speaker 4: I don't know that it ever happened before with CBS. I think from what I the only reason that that happened was again because Robert Nette and ran the Letterman show. It was because Letterman had such a big he was such a big paycheck, he was such a big entity at the time. That was the only reason I think that that that card. If a producer didn't have that card to say that would probably have never never happened. But when I went into to read, you know, ostensibly the thing was a comedy with heart, and so you know, you know, you know how these it's so funny how these things change. So I went in to read. I was solid and funny in the room and made them laugh. And then normally, okay, the job is yours, this is at the network read. But then somebody there's you know, twenty five people in the room, and somebody starts going, but but what about this this I don't like this about him? And then that sort of you know, you see that the next thing you know you had it and then you don't have it right. And I remember Rob and John came out and Rob was he had this real serious face and he's like, look, so they don't know if you can they don't know if you can do straight drama. So even though it was a comedic scene about a guy finding out that his wife is eping, with a mailman and they're like, you just need to do that scene again and throw out all the comedy and play it like, you know, play it like a Shakespeare tragedy. I was like, okay, oh my god. And I went in and did that and you know, just completely straight as possible, and they were like, okay, he can he can do that too.
Speaker 2: It's so amazing, the exact same speech I got pretty much really fucked up. Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: When they weren't saying he fucked up. Donald legit fucked up. He didn't say he fucked up.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't. When I wore audition for Scrubs, I got real big in the audition because it was a comedic scene, and I got real big and animated, and Bill had to come out and be like, dude, tone that ship down.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because it's funny, as you know, like I think, sometimes an executive here's another executive speaking, goes, I better weigh in as well, you know. So suddenly they're like he's big, Yeah, he's too big, Yeah, he's too bid. Suddenly it becomes this thing and you're like.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, if actors, only if actors who have yet to be in one of these rooms only knew.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, the.
Speaker 1: Tight you're walking to try and get a fucking roll. Yeah, oh dude, and how it just it just falls on one person being like, I don't know what if, and then all of a sudden you didn't have the part anymore, and you had the part for a second.
Speaker 2: Yeah right. I've been in a room and watch somebody destroy it, like kill it, come in and destroy it, and then someone else come in and do a really good job but not destroy it. And I saw, well the first person obviously, and one person in the room was like, well, you know what, I'm not sure they actually look like the part. You know what, You're right, they don't necessarily look like the part. And all of this doubt happened, and the person that crushed it did not get the role, and the person that just did good got the role.
Speaker 4: Because there was getting tense just listening to this.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, dude.
Speaker 1: I was on working on something and this girl came in and she was young, you know, she was like a young Jennifer Gardner type. She was really pretty, she was early twenties and super excs expressive and funny, and I thought that she should get the part. Another girl came in very very funny. Well, you could have done it too, but I preferred the first girl. I thought she was better. One of the executives goes, regarding the first girl, the young Jennifer Garner type, She goes, she's very expressive. Should we worry about her wrinkling early? Oh?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Now, mind you, this is like a twenty early twenty something year old girl and she's very pretty. And the not only is that the most ludicrous thing you can ever imaginenother human being saying, but in your mind, the show is going to go so many years that her wrinkles that come from her being expressive were going to be a problem. I mean, it was the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard of them a whole lot.
Speaker 4: It's appalling. It's appalling. The other part of it is actors can act, you know, and so so I don't how many times, so like you've done a thing and then like, yeah, the feedback is, yeah, we wanted it a little bigger.
Speaker 2: It's like say that ship, you know, say that ship. Why don't you let me do the whole audit? Listen, man, why did you let me do the whole audition? That big then if that's the case, somebody in the room could have said, hey, you know what, I love your choice. You could be diplomatic about it. I loved your choice. Listen, can you tone it down a little bit this time? Right? You know what I mean? That never happens anymore, dude. I do remember though, back in the day when I was going out for auditions, and it would be like somebody who was from the urban or from the streets and stuff like that, and you'd get the can you can you spice it up a little.
Speaker 1: Something?
Speaker 2: Can you can you put a little sauce on that?
Speaker 1: No? How would they say it? Like what's the worst base?
Speaker 2: One would say that, can you spice it up a little bit? Spice it up a little? And you'd be like what.
Speaker 1: I had a producer say to me once about a script. She goes, you know, she was this old lady. She goes, you know, you could go black with it, and I go, okay, yeah, that's that's there's no reason.
Speaker 2: She goes, you know, they're doing their thing.
Speaker 1: She did that. Judge, you guys can't see the jests durem me and she sort of rocked back and forth. She goes, you know, they're they're doing their thing. It was one of the most awkward things I've ever witnessed. I go, okay, so you want them to do their thing? I got it? Oh my god, should we get it? We have to take a break probably, and then we're gonna get into the episode. All right, We'll be right back with the Tom Kavanaugh.
Speaker 2: We're bad, bad Hey.
Speaker 4: Tom.
Speaker 2: So we always talk about how everybody met Bill and how you came to this show. You wound up during the show for several seasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots of episodes you mss have. You must have been one of our most recurring guest stars.
Speaker 4: I don't know that, but I can tell you I was always hugely grateful to get the call. I sort of feel like even being on this podcast is sort of like I've sort of, like I was telling your producers, I've sort of like glommed my way on by like, you know, get that somehow this got put out there. But I also felt that same way about Scrubs, Like I don't really do scrubs, but I sort of like piggybacked on the back of their success. And I've been basically a parasite this whole time, and I'm so so grateful for it.
Speaker 1: Because people loved you on the show. Tom.
Speaker 2: Sorry, it's funny, how.
Speaker 4: Like, no, no, but it's funny. How like when you like it isn't anywhere, you can't find it anywhere. Most of this a lot of stuff that's harder, harder to find. And I would say Scrubs is the thing even though you know you guys were you get all. You guys did such a great job, but I did nothing. I still get recognized all the time from I hear people all the time want to say, hey, little brother, or they remember this, remember the bathtub episode. I remember this kind of thing. And you know, it was like ninety years ago and people are still like it's still resonant. It's on Comedy Central. It's just like it's it's lovely to be associated with your success.
Speaker 1: Well, people really loved you on the show. They really, you know, when when when Donald and I talked about having guests on a lot of people asked for the Tom Kavanaugh. But wait a second, sorry, go back to what Donald asked, How did you come about? How did it come about? Did you know Bill or was it the obvious that people thought he's on NBC? He looks like Zach that kind of thing.
Speaker 4: No, I I think I had been friendly with Bill and we weren't. We weren't friends before we sort of became friends throughout, but we had, you know, had spoken and gotten along and he he and his wife had always been like quite friendly and generous and stuff, and so I think it must have been him saying, oh, okay, I know Tom. I I have a friendly relationship with him, and so this seems like a natural fit because of how we look. I think you run into people and you're like, I would like to work with this person again, you know what I mean. That happens occasionally, and it almost never happens. I think all your intentions are always great, and yet you're still trying to have a job and survive, and so sometimes it's quite quite difficult, given you know, it's very difficult to repatriate again. So I think I think maybe we got along and then he was like, oh this is this could be a nice little one off, But then it ended up being more, which.
Speaker 2: Is tremendous because you're really good on the show Man Also, you know, I we talk about this all the time in remembering the shows. This is one of we talk about it so much that it's become a bingo. It's one of the bingo questions, Like somebody made a bingo sheet, and on the bingo sheet it says they'll talk about at some point, you know, if they talk about not remembering the show, you get a letter, right, And this is one of those moments because I really didn't remember this episode that much. I knew the first episode I remember you on is when John Ritter passed away and then you out of nowhere, was like, yo, you know what, I'll come in and now and wait, how is that this one? That's not this one? That's not this one at all?
Speaker 4: That was another significant one that was such a again, you know, I think I don't know if you had because you're there and you have no basis of comparison for you people. You guys were like all all all your group was such a welcoming you know. It's it's it's interesting because once you go through, you know, thirty years of this stuff, it's not always you know, it's not always a group like that, you know, And I obviously don't know all the inside stories and stuff because I would just come in and out. But but being in a place where you felt welcomed and encouraged. And the idea is that that you guys. I can remember laughing so hard at the stuff you guys would do that wasn't in the script, knowing that you would do the stuff verbatim as it was in the script, knowing that you would get your blows, your chances later. And I thought, this is incredible, this this environment. I remember you, Zach doing one of I've seen like the actor who played Ross Kueller, David Swimmer, running to he had an open laundry door and he like hits his head on it and falls over there. That's one of the most solid modern day praftfalls. And you did want to do a glass door that was like we're just we're just watching, you know. We were sitting by the monitors, and I was like, I remember thinking this and this is like years ago. I remember thinking, is I could watch him do this all day long. Every time you didn't get tired of it, You kept doing it. Every time you did it, it was like seemed like better than the last.
Speaker 1: I wanted to get it right, you know. I I so enjoyed doing the physical comedy and and I would get competitive just with myself wanting to be wanting to wanting to make a really good one and and uh, you know that was a bit of my that was my sport if you will try to be good at I remember one time in one of the episodes, you jumped out and I just improved monsters. Yeah, And you know, the fun thing about the show, as you were just saying, was there was such a vibe of just safety, that is, this is a safe environment. Go nuts, do be adventurous. You know, Bill will tell you obviously get to it as written, but he'll tell you if he wants you to bring it down. But I was just watching this your first episode, and you were making such.
Speaker 2: Bold choices and right, souch is tricky.
Speaker 1: Which is tricky because you know, we'd bound the show. We're regulars, we're there all the time. We had we had kind of built up that comfortableness for a guest star to come on and be like, all right, I'm gonna do a bold character. I'm gonna make bold choices. I was really I was really impressed with you just watching it back, because it's one thing if you do it like on your fifth episode, here you are is your first time on set your guest star of a show that that's really popular, and you came up with this character which was nothing like your character on ED and was just bold and funny.
Speaker 4: But it was probably a lot to do with, like I say, just being around a place where people were like, hey, have fun, enjoy I think I think it just bears repeating that your show was such a such a place where you know, you welcome people to do that very thing you were talking about. I remember also being so impressed. I'm sorry to talking about it, but it just it just seemed like I remember season six coming in and doing something and I remember thinking, I remember watching on different shows i'd done, how you know people buy into like, well, how what's our place in the universe of television? Like are we popular? Are we?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Are we getting enough attention? And I think you guys probably had you know, the NBA, Why don't they promote us? All that kind of stuff. But I remember coming in on season six and watching you had settled into this thing like this is us and this is for us, and it was such a smart and intelligent way to understand that life is fleeting, this is fleeting, and so let's just all be for this show and when you when you come from a different place and you come into that, it influenced me for the rest of my career to go, this is really what you want. People who are have each other's backs, who are for each other, who want to just do this scene right now as best as they can, and what more is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Speaking of doing a scene, really well, how fucking funny are you stealing the lab coat and going in to attend to a patient?
Speaker 2: That shit was hilarious, Yeah, mister laughed, before we do that. Before we do that, let's get into this, uh recap?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sorry, So Tom every episode, Donald will sum it up. He has thirty seconds. I time him.
Speaker 4: Yes, and this is great.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Donald, hold on getting my stopwatch up. He's been crushing it lately. He got in a little cocky l and and and ending early, which I don't like. I like you to fill your time now, this might go over. Okay, on your mark, get set go.
Speaker 2: J D's brother Dan comes to visit. He wrecks havoc on all of j these relationships. JD wishes his brother would just grow up. Turk and Cocks are beefing again, this time because both have good arguments on why their departments are better at saving lives. By the act break, j D and Turk are shame Turk of himself, JD of his brother. For Turk, it takes a lesson from an unexpected person for him to regain faith that he's doing his job the right way. For JD, it's him learning and understanding that not all people are built the same. Some people are content with who they are. How far did I go over?
Speaker 1: It's thirty six, But you had some fuck ups, and I think the audience.
Speaker 2: Is to give you geez.
Speaker 4: I thought it was amazing.
Speaker 1: It's well done. It's well done. I think when you were hurt, I don't think you we rehearsed this time. Sometimes.
Speaker 2: No, it's freaking We're an hour into the damn show. I expected to do it.
Speaker 1: He didn't know that Tom Cavanaugh was going to be so interesting.
Speaker 2: I said, listen, I knew Tom was going to be this interesting. So you're saying we were going to get into the show.
Speaker 1: You're saying is that you we rehearsed right before he went on the air. And now you're rusty, and.
Speaker 2: I was rusty. If you give me another chance, I bet it's better.
Speaker 1: No on here again, sick, good job. You know what, well, you know what, We'll have Dan speed it up a little bit. No, we can't do no thirty six seconds. Thirty six well done though. Well yes, well that's the episode to remind you, Tom. We did this as a service to people who want a brief reminder of what the episode was Tom. Tom comes to visit me. He's been driving a car across the country as a for for three hundred dollars, and uh, he has no fear of doctor Cox, which is just mind boggling me. And I'm squirming that he's I'm squirming as he meets Cox for the first time and is fucking with doctor Cox.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be the best day of my life. If I went to my brother's job and he had a boss that was bullying him, and I could freaking and I know that no matter what, he's gotta get bullied anyway, I'm gonna fuck some shit up. Then how about this, Oh Ert, you gotta mess with my little brother. Now I'm gonna mess with you. Yeah, I remember good day.
Speaker 1: I think I remember on the day Tom even being nervous in real life because I was so you know, Johnny was Johnny and I we wear versions of our characters and and we would just play that. Now you came in as an alpha fucking with him, and I think I think I recalled even on the day being a little uncomfortable, but I think didn't like it.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure he did.
Speaker 1: Because nobody in that hospital, in the real world or on or in the world of the show fucked with him, and he had gotten quite comfortable with that. And now here's someone who.
Speaker 2: Looks just like me walking with him.
Speaker 1: But that was great. And then so the let's talk about that Rickles moment. That was pretty fucking funny.
Speaker 2: That ship was hilarious. I love the fact that the reason why it's gonna happen is because he hears Bambi and you're like, all right, I don't want you to call me bamb before the rest of my life. I'll la wear a lab coat with a lap cooat. And he walks in, and he goes and you know, and and and we find out just before he walks in that the guy's gotta live and that the surgery was everything was a success. And the first thing Tom says, Dan says, it was touch and go.
Speaker 1: For and then he goes, you got out. We got to look out for those little rickles, and he goes, name is.
Speaker 4: He's like the little reckles the kids future.
Speaker 1: And then I go, okay, thank you, and you go, damn it, Babby, I'm busy to find a good nurse these days. And shot was really funny by Michael Spiller. When you when you turn around. Yeah, I'm always a sucker for the quick turnaround.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course, damn it, Bamby, give me a second.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, I'm busy.
Speaker 1: Hilarious, And now my nightmare would be my brother coming and flirting with someone that I had feelings for and let alone also your friend. I mean, this is like always awkward when you have a friend that's like, I don't know if this guy's ever happened to you, where like you broke up with someone and then you see your friends starting to like and you're like, what the fuck? And and and I just I felt for JD as you as you and Sarah are walking down the hall and flirting.
Speaker 2: And it's cruel.
Speaker 4: It's awful.
Speaker 1: It's so fucking mean.
Speaker 4: It's awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's mean, by the way, It's mean on both parts. It's mean on, it's mean on. I mean, you guys have a brother. You guys those two characters had had a brother competition thing, obviously, but the fact that Elliott was so willing to just like dive in and be all like gigy, that was so cruel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was mean. It was like, ah, he's so funny, and he's not really that funny, but he was just being kid. You're like, ah, yeah, I know, that's okay. You just and then the idea that wait, this is actually happened, This is happening, is happening.
Speaker 2: You know. I love I love the how he realizes it's happening out of nowhere. You turned day tonight bym flicking a switch.
Speaker 1: That was great. And then they start totally making out and then and then they pop back to reality. And then in reality, I yell, stop your stop your stupid laughing. It makes you look like a whore.
Speaker 4: Right, and you're like kidding, just the worst thing you could say.
Speaker 1: And then the way I did it was like vomiting it up, like I couldn't, I couldn't hold in the rain.
Speaker 4: You skewed it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stupid laughing. It makes you look like goodness, gras jump cut. Yeah, I must have been tricky to shoot.
Speaker 1: We must have done the first part and then come back.
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 4: We did. Then we came back at night and Sarah had this idea we were both chewing gum to like spit the gum out, you know, and then like, you know, have the all the fun two three four.
Speaker 1: Were you called that chewing gum like throughout the whole scene or do you you both? You know, sometimes when you're an actor, you know you're going to make out with someone, you want to have fresh minty breath. Was it?
Speaker 4: I think she? I think she no. I think she added gum later on, because there was. It was one of two things. One is like you kiss the person, then they have the gum that you had in your mouth not great or you know, pew pew. And I think she we realized we could have a we could double down on the comedy moment by spitting our gum out.
Speaker 1: Before used to happen. We used to have Banaka on set, not not just for.
Speaker 4: I remember you guys had the You guys had the You also had the boom things that melt in your mouth.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, it does give you heartburn.
Speaker 1: They give me heartburn. Yeah, we both both Donald and I would have too many and they would give us heartburn. But the old school aerosol spray baknaka, which is my favorite. We started having it just from we had kissing scenes and we didn't want to have bad breath for our scene partner. But then it became like, you know, we were all friends, all up in each other's faces all day long. We were like, let's make a rule everybody, we don't have bad breath, and so we would like just be spraying a NonStop.
Speaker 2: Dude. I remember, it became how many can you spray in your mouth? And I burn his mouth like tin under the tongue, just for ships and giggles.
Speaker 1: And eventually our boom operator velcrode one to the boom and and we called it boom naka and we'd be like Kevin boom knaka and he would just dip the boom down. We'd pull the ASO off off the mic it was on beltrow and then it attach it back up. That's great a right there, that's some Yeah. That was so though we thought he was gonna do it for like a day as a joke, it was up there for years, same same.
Speaker 4: Canister, hopefully hopefully changed out.
Speaker 1: I like when at five twenty four when when Cox goes, well, people please stop calling me, Yeah, and then Kelsoe goes, hey, I'm nuts. Sorry, I'm nuts.
Speaker 2: Hey, how's it going. I'm nuts.
Speaker 4: He had another one in there where was like I don't have time for pity or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, when he's talking to Johnny Castle.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I wrote that down too, And why does why does well? First of all, when you scare me in the shower? Hilarious. That was the first of many scared we.
Speaker 4: Did, like ten we did ten. Do you remember that. I remember I remember waiting, waiting in the thing behind the curtain and like thinking, oh this, maybe this one will do this. Like there was we had like five or six different ones, and I think the first one was really terrifying for you.
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's funny.
Speaker 1: I just put two and two together that I guess we bought the clear shower curtain that's in the opening of the show, right, because wasn't there a clear shower curtain when you scare me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: No, no, there isn't a shower curtain that it's opaque. When I come out because you don't see me.
Speaker 2: And then right and you thought it looks like it's clear. I thought, I have, I have because you have.
Speaker 4: You guys have that runner earlier on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're we're shopping for a clear shower curtain and then whereas it it is five point thirty two. I'm just curious because it'd be funny if we, uh we happen to keep the shower.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's clear.
Speaker 4: Oh goodness, how could it?
Speaker 2: Then? How can you have bought it?
Speaker 1: We actually bought it? There you go, Okay, look at that continuity. Yeah, I mean I got air. Dude, you scared the ship out of me. And I mean in real life, and I think the character. But I obviously had a nice juicy map behind me because I like literally flew up.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes it's solid and once again, Zach.
Speaker 1: Braft Solid, Zach Braft Special.
Speaker 4: It's good stuff.
Speaker 1: I laughed. When he makes her own Halloween candy, she.
Speaker 2: Says she's dressed.
Speaker 1: First of all, she's dressed like raggedy ann and uh and there's like this bowl of popcorn and homemade lollipops, and she says something like, if you want name brand stuff, this fist is packed with nuts or something.
Speaker 2: This episode was actually written by Tim Hobert. Yes, I believe. Was he with us the first season, Well, he came in on second him was.
Speaker 1: Not their first season, no, but he's a very funny writer.
Speaker 2: So this is his first big episode. This is first episode of the season. Then. Yeah, and also Mike Spiller's back as our director.
Speaker 1: We like Spiller a lot. This is the first episode in which I read on Scrubs Wiki this is the first episode that you're ever called Gandhi by doctor Cox.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. Sarah's sister is actually one of the interns in this episode. Also, yeah, and Cox is I mean when Kelso's doing rounds in the beginning, Sarah.
Speaker 1: When Kelso pulls he hates the costumes, and he pulls some cat ears off, and that's Sarah's sister, not not her younger sister, obviously, that's it's her older sister. And then I noticed that Johnny Castle playing Doug. He takes off the clown, knows and kisses it. And I remember on the day thinking that was so random and funny, but I have no idea why he does it. It's very weird.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I know exactly.
Speaker 1: He takes the clown that Kelso says, take that fucking costume off, and he takes the nose off, and he looks at it and he gives a little kiss before he fucking which is just so weird and amazing.
Speaker 4: I don't know why he did it, but yeah, the scene between you and Johnny C when you win the bet is like, to me, that was just such classic Scrubs because it's it's good in the in and of itself with the comedy's just hilarious, especially when you're celebrating and it kind of goes on, then it goes on, then it keeps going on, which I personally it's funny. Then it's sort of maybe not funny. Then it's really funny because you just keep doing it. You do the backward why, and it's just all the different beats of your comedy there just like I had me laughing and I'd forgotten the scene and then and then there's then there's that other level where he's like, yes, which is what that's what your show did so well, where it's like you have the great comedy and that could just on another show that would just be enough. And then it's like there's a hammer a gravitas that still works. It's beautiful. It ends with ends with you like with a legit serious moment considering this information. It's great.
Speaker 1: It's a matter of Joelle and you just look like you freaked on him on something.
Speaker 3: Oh Gena Price Price when heard a thing I did and I love her?
Speaker 2: Sorry, okay, wait what happened? I'm sorry?
Speaker 1: Wait what happened? I figure since you distracted the show, you're gonna have to share what happened?
Speaker 3: Sorry, Gina Price bikeele It is a amazing director.
Speaker 1: She directed Love Basketball and she just has a new movie out on Netflix.
Speaker 3: Cold Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: The Old Guard.
Speaker 4: Yes, black lady who's been working for a very long time, and I love her.
Speaker 2: She used to write on Felicity, like season one of Felicity, she wrote, and then she went on to all right, but what happen?
Speaker 1: And that made your face light up because I thought it was Tom's use of the word gravitas.
Speaker 2: Acknowledge my existence. I get so excited.
Speaker 1: Oh well, congratulations what did she say? What she like, you're one of the articles you've written or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did a pod talking about the new movie and she was like this was so great. I was like, oh my god, that's okay. That's always good to be apologetic, don't know.
Speaker 1: I just want the listeners to know from my point of view. Tom said the word gravitas, and Joel's face lit up and she started like doing the hand thing where you might cry, and I'm like, wow, Joelle really loves the word gravias.
Speaker 4: She had better reasons to celebrate, better reasons to celebrate. I'm glad to hear it wasn't gravitas either, the old guarden plug. That's good.
Speaker 2: That would be that would be the funniest ship ever.
Speaker 1: But she just loves the word gravat whenever she whenever she hears it, she has to fan her eyes. I love Donald. You're bragging about having two singles in your wallet. You say hello mister when he gives you the funny Hello Jackson me introduced you to the Washington Brothers.
Speaker 2: Right now, you guys getting nice and acquainted and.
Speaker 1: You're dancing.
Speaker 2: There was so funny, man, Yes, I had a lot of I had a lot of fun doing that. I'm sure I did. It's it's really weird, you know how things change. Because everybody did a Michael Jackson impersonation. Back in the day, everybody did it. I can't recall the last time I've seen Michael Jackson impersonation. He's been a very, very long time.
Speaker 1: Now, you probably if we were doing the show now, you probably wouldn't be doing so many Michael Jackson's Now. I love a Growing Pain shout out for those of you who were too young to know. Growing Pains was a very popular sitcom and starring Kirk Cameron. And uh when when I when when we all go to lunch, I say, oh, no, I'm trying to defend Dan. Oh no, he lives with my mom, but he's got his own area. He's like Kirk Cameron when he's looking about the garage with Boner. And Kirk Cameron had a friend in the show name name Boner, which made no sense. Why was his friend named Boner? Everyone knows what his name.
Speaker 2: His last name was the Bone, and his dad's name was Sylvester.
Speaker 4: But then you right, you yell out to the room Boner. Come on, everyone, it's too too low hanging fruit.
Speaker 2: No Boner speaking of laging. You guys didn't hear what I said. His dad's name Will was Sylvester and his last name is Sta Bone Sylvester Stabone. Yeah, do you know the Growing Pains theme instead of Sylvester Stallone Sylvester Stabone. Do you know?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 2: Okay, it just wasn't that funny. I guess I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I thought it was hilarious when I first heard it.
Speaker 2: Joe kids, wait a second, Boner, your dad's name is Sylvester Stabone. And then he turns back and looks that Mike and goes, who knew.
Speaker 4: What? Joe joke?
Speaker 1: Donald? Do you know the theme song? Tom?
Speaker 3: Tom?
Speaker 1: You might not know this, but Donald can sing song.
Speaker 2: If you tell me how it starts, I could sing it. Show me that smart Okay, Zech, I got it. Don't waste another man it on your crying. And we're nowhere near the end. Her best is edit to begain. Oh okay, started too high.
Speaker 1: As long as we go.
Speaker 2: Each other, we got the world hanging right and our hands baby rain or shine foot all the time. Okay, we've got each other sharing the left of love, sharing the left.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna release an album Tom of Donald.
Speaker 2: We have to show that dignity. The show that did every season they did a different version of that song.
Speaker 1: Oh really, They also at some point they had a baby and then they were like, the baby's boring, and next season she's gonna be five.
Speaker 2: And also they.
Speaker 1: Also had nobody else to age, but the baby was all of a sudden five.
Speaker 2: They also like fostered a kid for a little bit. Who was young Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right, young Leo's first show, I believe.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if it was his first.
Speaker 1: But there's really cute. I've seen like you know when they do like, you know, you know, remember who this little boy was. I've seen like his first interviewers. I just love being an actor and I'm just happy to be with these guys.
Speaker 2: It was really cute, and now look at him.
Speaker 1: Donald has a little Leo crushed. Tommy comes up almost every episode.
Speaker 2: I love Leonardo DiCaprio. Yeah, so last one of my favorite actors of all time.
Speaker 1: One of our last episodes ended with Donald talking about trying to doc with no no no no no no no.
Speaker 2: Explained later, break we got, we gotta go to break. We gotta guess guys, we used to bring just we should go to break, guys. I'm just break.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after Donald doc Leo.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, So what's on again?
Speaker 4: What did he say?
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: I did not say I wanted to dock with Leo. I just said I thought he was a great actor.
Speaker 1: We went to break, We went.
Speaker 2: We haven't gonkay yet. All right, now we're going to break. We gotta. I think we need to clarify this because I don't want it out there and the ethos that somebody that I'm walking around telling people I want to dock with Leo because that ain't what's happening here.
Speaker 1: Okay, that does not want to dock Leo. Everybody, Yes, he does. We're going to break, all right, now we're back tom. We take a caller here on this show and Joel curates them. There are zillions of people that email her and try and send her payola. Uh and she it's all steps, all the money, she accepts, all the money, all the money sends.
Speaker 2: You sending money to Joel, do it the right way, don't send like sending the real deal. How we feel thought if you don't get picked, but money does help.
Speaker 1: But you know, cash is a little crass. What you could sell send baskets. Cash is crash. I don't know if it has ever said that before, but I was a good line. Cash is crass, Cash is crash. Send the woman a wine basket or some of God's let us. Uh, she'll take either one. O. G.
Speaker 2: Cush is preferred.
Speaker 1: Who do we have today? Preferred for the Tom Cavanaugh? Who? Who's America's favorite older brother?
Speaker 3: We had nurse Christina.
Speaker 2: Christina, Hello, where are you calling from? Christina Kuston and the.
Speaker 1: Uh, Christina, you're an e ournurse we heard, so that means you're gonna get even more respect than the average caller. We give our callers a lot of respect, but er nurse gets top respect.
Speaker 4: From Well, thank you. What's it like?
Speaker 2: What's it like right now? You guys are in Houston? It's it sucks?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the status?
Speaker 1: I think I had heard that Texas was legitimately running out of ICU beds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we tried to ship out a critical patient the other night and couldn't get a hospital that could take him in Houston. We tried to life fight himut because we didn't have a specialist for it and could not find a hospital.
Speaker 4: It's tragic.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's tragic, my God. And people need to hear from people like you on the front lines, because I think a lot of people, you know, as we've talked about on the show, Donald and I lost a friend and uh, and I think people like you who run the front lines, people like us who've lost a loved one, we're seeing him. And Dan was explaining something on the show. I thought that was really really landing with me that unless you're on the front lines and the seeing it, you can kind of live in this sort of dream world where you, you know, you're just you know, obviously, I know people are suffering, they're not working, and the kids aren't in school, but it cannot it's a little bit out of sight, out of mind. Whereas someone like you, who's seeing this every single day, it must be just very very traumatic for you.
Speaker 2: That we also see what COVID does to people too, what and and and and a lot of people that's something that Americans don't see. We don't see the uh, what's what's left up people after COVID has ravaged their bodies and uh and and you know, rectabit or rectabic on their organs and stuff. So uh, it's just a.
Speaker 3: It's a slab in the face when we're risking our lives and then people are on here saying it's a hoax or that it's a It's just frustrating because we don't have any reason to lie.
Speaker 2: About it, right, I know, I know, but we see that.
Speaker 1: But we see that. I see even in our comments on on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Won't not even saw this. Donald.
Speaker 1: People were like, enough of the mask talk. You're becoming like every other show. And I want to like throw my fucking phone at the wall because I was like, our friend just died, so there's gonna be some COVID talk wear a fucking mask, right, But anyway, we thank you for for I just think there's nothing more noble than being a nurse. And there's extra cherry on top for doing it in the er because the things you must see.
Speaker 3: And I want to thank y'all real quick for the video that y'all did with Neil Patrick Harris thanking all the healthcare workers. It did not get enough props, but it really meant something.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. So let's switch to something more like our main mission is to make people gig a little bit. Do you have any questions for for us about scrubs or anything? It could be about the flash. I don't know.
Speaker 3: My first question is, what's the craziest thing.
Speaker 2: A fan has asked, y'all, Oh my gosh, have you ever signed anyone? And then they you saw them again and they were like, I turned your signature into a tattoo. Yes, I've had that, And people get tattoos of you?
Speaker 1: Is that weird? Yeah? I was talking about this yesterday. There's some really weird tattoos of me out there. And also I actually like the ones some people have tattooed lines from Garden State that were meaningful to them a film I wrote so I that I think is really cool because my something I came up with was meant enough to them to put on their body as a as a as whatever a mantra if you will. But but I've seen like like the weirdest faces I've made on Scrubs where I'm like, you know, like screaming out of fear, like actually in this episode with Tom where I'm like screaming out of fear, And I've seen that on like someone's thigh. Donald, I saw a tattoo of you that as Churk that looked so nothing like you.
Speaker 2: It looked nothing like me. It looked like Charles Barkley. You're on my back and it looked like Charles literally. Now you know, as a kid, I was a big fan of Charles Barklay. But it didn't look anything like me. It looked literally like Charles Barkley. Right, the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me. I get a lot of people asking for it to eat.
Speaker 1: Yes, that happens to you a lot because they think you're very strong and they don't know.
Speaker 2: I can hold a lot of people up there. Yeah, but it's it's donald.
Speaker 1: You do let a lot more people mount you than I would ever.
Speaker 2: Listen, if you are brave enough to ask me, I will most likely oblige now that you should.
Speaker 1: Let me mount you.
Speaker 4: Now said most likely? He said most likely.
Speaker 2: Fine print That being said.
Speaker 1: That, the fine print, Tom is like you must have been under a certain amount of weight before trying to please inst all permission. Don't do it in front of his children or his wife will Bitchlapy.
Speaker 2: Well, the fine print is the fine print truly is like it has to be a special occasion. It can't just be out of nowhere, like you walk down the street and like let's eagle and that's not gonna happen. It has to be you know, it has to be something like if I'm at a conference and it's you know what I mean, and they got to catch you, you're not woozy. So that's the one thing that that's the one thing that that's pretty weird is that being asked to eagle. It's like, really, you want to jump on my back? You feel that comfortable right now to walk up to me ask me to give you an ask and ask me to give you a piggyback ride?
Speaker 1: Tom, have you ever had a weird fan moments? I bet some of your young flash fans have asked for something odd.
Speaker 4: I think, just what you were saying earlier, I think it really tests your metal as an actor when somebody suddenly unveils a tattoo of you on them, because you know, I think the reaction they're looking for is like, oh, that's great, wow, you know, but really your reaction is ah, right, yeah, you know, and you really got it. You got to try and cover that as best you can because they've got, you know, a permanent ink on their body.
Speaker 1: Read it.
Speaker 2: I'm just wor of course, you you're naturally.
Speaker 4: Assumed they're going to regret it. You think the next day. You don't think you're going to end up seeing it ever, But yeah, of course it's going to be a massive regret.
Speaker 1: Well, we talked before you came on to about how I'm gonna get Donald on my face, just like Joel Joel. Joel reminded us that I should not attempt to shade it in at all because.
Speaker 4: Uh huh, I listened. I listened to your episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah listen, of course, Yeah, Joel, you guys were very well. Joelle just came on in a moment of nervousness being like, guys, guys.
Speaker 4: Here's the voice, here's the voice of reason.
Speaker 1: Please listen to the voice of I assure Joel that would be solely an outline of his beautiful face.
Speaker 3: How many people have sent you in Apple Teini in the bar?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a very good question. That's happened a bunch. I got and sent a lot of Apple teini's, and they don't.
Speaker 2: I don't don't like apple. Just be honest, it's very sweet. It's sugar, I don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, I understand it. If you're if you're young, or if you're if you're out for a night and you want to have a funny cocktail, but I just think that if you you shouldn't get drunk on them because they are so filled.
Speaker 2: With sugar headache. The next day.
Speaker 1: I'm one of the owners of a restaurant in New York that I'll give a plug to now called the Mermaid Oyster Bar and seventy seventy nine McDougall if you'd like to check it out when the world reopens.
Speaker 2: But do they serve oysters at this oyster Yes?
Speaker 1: They have the sixteen different types of oysters. Wow, I love that you just said do they serve oysters at this oyster bar?
Speaker 4: He was trying to trying to see if it was no.
Speaker 1: Good, he'd be a good friend and trying to be like, tell us more about this. So you probably want to know about our lobster roll.
Speaker 2: Donald, Do you have a lobster roll?
Speaker 1: Oh, we have lobster roll in Manhattan. I'll tell you that right now.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And my point was is that the owner told me that He's like, do you have the idea why people keep coming in and ordering Apple teenies? And he's like, I was like, I don't know, but can you make them He's like, no, we're not making apple teinis, but just people, just tell your fans to stop ordering.
Speaker 2: Out when we were young and they were tasty, though, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Do you like them, Christina?
Speaker 3: A little sweet for me?
Speaker 1: Do you have another question for us? Christina?
Speaker 3: So Scrubs one, What is your most memorable scene that you filmed? O?
Speaker 4: Heavy question? Good question.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well Tom can go first because he's the test. He's got less to think about it because he's only did six or so episodes.
Speaker 4: It's easy. It was just, you know, I loved almost every scene we did for comedy. There was one where the three of us were.
Speaker 2: Part buddies where we did the farts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were goofing around the thing and that we had to we were eating breakfast and then we had to go. I had to go to the bathroom and it just became this long running I'll be in there for one minute, two minutes, five minutes, ten minutes, one minute. And then the other one was just the John Ritter stuff. To have been like a part of that with with you guys, was you know, it was, it was meaningful. Certainly the bath to the bathtub scene was a little less fun than you might expect. At one point, John c Riley is like, by now you're sitting in a bounts to probably eighty percent of your own urine. And I think that was probably closer to the truth. So less fun. But at the same time, you know, it's one thing that I hear a lot, you know about the Captain bubble Beeerd or whatever the heck it was called. Anyway, you guys, that's enough. Now you've had enough time. I've stalled, well enough, I feel, and now you guys have the tarmac ready talk about your best shows.
Speaker 1: We answered something similar to this recently, but I wonder if it's the same answer for you.
Speaker 2: Donald, go ahead, well the Star Wars, Oh yeah, you're right. Also getting the opportunity to do an Indiana Jones situation in someone's colon, it was a lot of fun, right, doing the whole opening to Raters of the Lost Dark in side of someone's colony. Fun. And then, to be honest with you, one of my favorite scenes, it's a song but Zach and I singing everything comes down to Pooh. Still to this day is one of my like I watched that with the smile, and I can't watch a lot of the things that I do, but that's one thing that I've done where I'm like that was. That was fucking a great time shooting that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of my favorite times was repelling across the fake city street on the Universal back lot on the episode where Donald and I go on a quest to find Molly, Heather Graham's character, and we repel across the street and then nail the wall and I fall into a bunch of garbage and then I get up and she looks at me, and I act like I'm surprised to see.
Speaker 2: Her, and I go, Molly, what are you doing here?
Speaker 1: That was just the most fun because you know, do.
Speaker 2: You remember how you got the to repel across the rope which I pulled off of you? No, you pulled my gown off of me. I did I have a gown on it or it wasn't a shirt? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And I go and I go, yeah, I pull it off and you gasp and then you're shirtless.
Speaker 2: And then I turn it.
Speaker 1: I turn I turned into a thing to repel across the street and then and then I go Molly, and she goes, what are you doing here? And then all of a sudden, you just see Donald in the background drop down into frame naked. So that was just so fun because you know, we didn't always Yeah, as I've said before on the podcast, that episode was like so epic. We didn't always do episodes that were that big. And there we were like taking over the universal backlat to do that scene, and I was directing and and it was just funny. I remember just laughing my ass off that night. All right, well, we got to go because our show's going so incredibly long. But Christina, thank you, and in all sincerity, thank you so much for what you do and for being on the front lines for us.
Speaker 3: Can I just see y'all to give a quick shout out to my best friends that are super jealous right.
Speaker 1: Now, of course, Preston and Nikki y'o.
Speaker 2: Preston, Nikki, it's down a faison and.
Speaker 1: I'm Zach Roff.
Speaker 2: And Zach sorry, what's happening, y'all?
Speaker 1: What's happening y'all? What's happening? By present and Nikki and bye, Christina, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Christina.
Speaker 1: Now listen, it's not beneath us. It scrubs to do a fart joke every now and then.
Speaker 2: And uh, and this your family loves to fart. Dorians love to fart, dude, It's true.
Speaker 1: Oh, by the way, we were, we were, we were. We were lucky enough to have the late John Ritter do a fart joke on on the show before he passed away. And now we have the great Tom Cavanaugh honoring us with a fart joke. We we sprinkle him around.
Speaker 4: That sprinkle him around, good analogy. Your reaction is tremendous. It's like it's everywhere. It's a man who can't escape, it's all.
Speaker 1: It is so horrible though, when when someone is flatulent in a car and you don't have control of the window, isn't it just a horrible, horrible moment of life.
Speaker 4: I think an airplane is worse, But yes, airplane, everybody's staring straight ahead, and there's that.
Speaker 1: Moment on a plane where you're like, you don't want anyone to think it's you have to react, you have to.
Speaker 4: Go, oh geez.
Speaker 1: I always put my t shirt over my nose so people know, like, oh, he's reacting. It's clearly not him, right.
Speaker 2: It's just like when you go into the bathroom after somebody took a ship and on the airplane and then you've got to come out and face all the people. I'm sure we've talked about it. We have.
Speaker 1: We talked about that horrible thing. And especially when you're in the public eye, you don't want someone to be like, dude, I was on a plane and Tom Kavanaugh crossing the bathroom and meanwhile you're thinking, like, no, mother effort. That was the guy before me.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I'd be that upset, but okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: I have an anxiety out when I go into a bathroom and it's been just rocked and then I come out and I'm like, I didn't do that. That was someone before me. I should.
Speaker 2: I had an anxiety about public restrooms period.
Speaker 1: Dude, you put toilet paper down on the seat.
Speaker 2: Listen, man, we could go to the movies the whole family. Back when going to the movies was a thing. We'd be at the movie theater if I and the movie could be five minutes away from starting. If I feel even the slightest bit of a bubble in my guts, we're going home. Oh really, I'm not shitting at a movie theater.
Speaker 1: Your poor kids, what do they do?
Speaker 2: They can cry on the way home.
Speaker 1: You've that sharing kids home because you had to poop.
Speaker 2: Listen. I remember I remember one time going to a club and getting to the club and being at the club and uh, you know, about to dance and it was lit that night, and feeling a bubble in my guts and being like, you know what, I'm going home.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: At restaurants, so you never pull, you never pull in public. I try my hardest not to poo in public. I have a phobia of it. It's uh, I don't know, man.
Speaker 4: Do you keep your outings to a concentric circle where you can make the getaway if you have to.
Speaker 2: No, There's been times where I was like, yo, I gotta do something. We gotta do something. Do you have friends? It's just something about a public A public restroom is I.
Speaker 1: Used to have that. For some reason, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: When I was a kid, I had it.
Speaker 1: I got over it. But one thing I can't do is if it were in the men's room and there's and there's a line of stalls, I cannot pooh if someone else is in the stall. I have to wait until the stalls are empty. I can't hear it next me. I just can't want next hear that. But also I can't sit next to the person and they're like farting and you hear them like.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: It's too uncomfortable for me.
Speaker 4: You got a handed to them for their effort.
Speaker 2: You know, you really have to go, you know, I don't want to be that guy. Man, I've been. I've been in the bathroom where another man did that. And I was a kid. I was very young and it was me and we were doing a commercial. It was a basketball commercial. What yeah, it was a basketball commercial. Already jealous, I know we should talk about basketball. You have to come back on because we need to talk about our NBA Entertainment League days and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Tom, Tom, well you already since we since you're.
Speaker 2: Joe.
Speaker 4: You heard this, Dan, you heard this right. So I was invited. So that's what that's what those are going to.
Speaker 2: Be now one and pound now you'll be back, now, be back. But we were filming a basketball commercial and I was very young and one, but I wasn't young enough where my parents had to be there. But there was one kid who was very young and his dad had to be there and his dad would play basket. We were playing like we were all doing this, you know, uh uh the commercial. So we were all playing like full courts on other basketball courts. And we would play with his dad too. And I remember going to the bathroom, me and a bunch of other dudes. We were going to take a leak and the dad was in the bathroom and was having a real hard time pooping, like the type of ship like the like the type of stuff was like, oh god, damn ship.
Speaker 1: Why why why it's always when someone yells.
Speaker 4: Why.
Speaker 2: The corn? That's the corn. That's the corn.
Speaker 1: Okay, you don't see the corn people are might be eating when they listen to this.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll cut that out. We'll cut out the corn. No, I want to leave it. I like, okay, all right. Anyway, My point is, I remember when he came out of the bathroom, the shame on his poor son's face because we were like, yo, you're dad, and they're blowing it up. And I think that's where my phobia comes from. I don't want to be that guy.
Speaker 1: From when I was a kid, my mom took me into the stall with her. You know, I was of an age where she was obviously not leaving me alone and a woman was really farting a lot as she was going pooh, And then we came out to the sinks and I apparently turned to the woman and pointed, Mom, that's the lady who was farting. My mom says, like, to this day, that's the most embarrassing moment of her life.
Speaker 2: Goodness, all right?
Speaker 1: The gorilla by the way, Donald, I literally looked. I looked down at my notes and saw I thought that was a really funny reveal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought that was very You think Ken was Ever in the suit? Oh, I don't know. That's a great question.
Speaker 4: That is a great question.
Speaker 2: Let's ask Bill that one.
Speaker 1: Let's ask Bill, because Bill, I'm sure you want to say hi to the Tom Cavanaugh and you know, I did notice some of the fans were missing you and you're sabotaging our show by the secret numbers? So Bill, was Ken Jenkins ever in the gorilla suit? And also say hi to Tom Kavanaugh?
Speaker 2: Bill, Hey, guys, how you doing.
Speaker 5: Question number Ken Jenkins in that gorilla suit? I seem to recall is what I love about Ken, you know, trying to be respectful of actors. I was like, of course, Ken, if you want to be the guy in the suit, you know. And I think he cut me off and said, Bill, if it's not gonna you're not gonna see me. I don't care if I'm ever in that grocer. So I do not think Ken Jenkins was ever in that thing, pretty sure.
Speaker 4: Uh, and uh I respect him more for it.
Speaker 5: Also got to say, man, uh, not only one of my favorite guest stars on the show, but an all time good buddy Tom Kavanaugh. Hello, sir, oh hi Tommy.
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 5: I don't mean to steal this podcast, but it has been way too long since we've seen each other. Has been a has got to be at least like for like five or six or.
Speaker 1: Seven or eight months?
Speaker 2: Eight?
Speaker 1: No, thank you, jas. Guy is turn.
Speaker 2: Season two? Damn get a new.
Speaker 1: You need a new trick. Trying to hijack our show, you know. Speaking of tricks, the janitor never does his trick.
Speaker 2: I was I was asking, I was about to ask that it's a writing it's a writing flow of Bill. Sorry, what was that about?
Speaker 1: Since you just tried to hijack our show by saying the numbers, I will tell you even though now you can't reply that, Uh, you're fucking up or Tim Oberd, Tim Over, Tim Hover fucked up, somebody who fucked up? Why do you lay in that the janitor is going to do a trick and he never does. I think it's a mislead for him being in the gorilla suit. But but he's he's like twice Ken's height, so that doesn't really work. I'm just saying, do you want to talk about how great it was to have Tom Cavanaugh on the podcast?
Speaker 2: Dude, you have to come back. You'd already said you will.
Speaker 4: I'm going to force your hand. That was a classic misplay on your two guys parts here. You guys, you guys like, hey, Tom, come back. He's like, he's obsessive. Joelle is gonna be like he All he does is he's like, uh, this episode, he's just come back, come back? Can I come back?
Speaker 2: Dude? Love you. We have some stories. You and I we've played a lot of basketball together. And so the next time you're on the next episode about that, you.
Speaker 1: Guys will talk sports ball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can go grab a tea and we'll like, we'll talk hoops and then you can come back ten minutes later.
Speaker 2: Come back.
Speaker 1: I will just put on Dear Evan Hanson, and listen whole time, and you guys will wave on the zoom call when it's over.
Speaker 4: Perfect.
Speaker 1: No, seriously, man, we love you. You're great.
Speaker 4: I'm so happy to be a part of this. Thank you guys for having me on.
Speaker 1: I no, thank you, thank you, and thank you to Daniel and Joel and uh and Donald do you want to lead us in that song? I love you, Donald Faison, I love you Zach Braff and we love you listeners. Thank you for listening and for being amazing, and subscribe to this and and what else? Email Joel A. Scrubs, iHeart at gmail dot com. And that's it, Victim.
Speaker 2: That is absolutely to the five, six, seven, eight stories. I'm not show.
Speaker 1: We made about a bunch of talks and nurses and janitor who love me.
Speaker 2: I said, here's the stories networ sh no, So gander round you here, our gander round you here, our
Speaker 1: Spect we show is and