Speaker 1: Kabooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old Republic, a soul fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: It's a clearing house of hot takes. Break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 3: In the air everywhere, The Fifth Hour with me, Ben Maller and Danny g Radio hanging out with you.
Speaker 1: On a Friday morning.
Speaker 3: Here we are together again because the overnight show not and off as we are in the air everywhere. This podcast heard every Friday, Saturday and Sunday throughout the entire bleeping year. That's right. I could have said the bad word. I want to try to avoid that. I'm in the podcast studio, I'm on a hot microphone. But the difference, of course we're not doing it a lot, so I could bleep the stuff out.
Speaker 1: But it's a bad habit.
Speaker 3: I've determined over the many years we've done the Fifth Hour podcast that when I end up cursing on the podcast, I end up cursing on the radio show, and I almost actually cursed a couple of times in recent days. Was the word is delirious. The word is delirious, sleep deprived, delirious. These are first world problems to have, and I was able to avoid actually cursing up, but I came close enough where you knew what I was going to say. You knew what I was planning on saying with the bad word. And if you spend enough time on microphones, if you get one of these jobs, you're lucky enough to get one of these jobs. We're talking to microphones. At some point you're going to be doing so many different shows that you don't even know which way is up, which way is down. It's bizarro world, bizarre world. But today is the sixth day of December, Happy National Miner's Day.
Speaker 1: It's one of the.
Speaker 3: Most difficult and dangerous jobs possible. It takes a special breed to be a miner, and it's like the family business. I can make some good money doing that, but the health problems and just the issue of being underground and anything goes wrong, you know, it's lights out, which I guess is true. And a lot of jobs, but it's just more pronounced if you happen to be a miner, and I remember I was a kid, it seemed like every couple of months there was a mining catastrophe that happened somewhere. People are trying to be rescued out of a mine, and as many of those stories in recent years, I'm also too big to be a miner. You got to be of a certain height because it's not a lot of room there, and I think I'm too tall for that. It's National Pawnbroker's Day, so congratulations to all the pawnbrokers that they used to love. Pond Stars. I don't know if that's still on. That was a thing in Vegas back, you know, years ago. I watched it was on for a long time. Is that Rick Harrison I think was the guy behind that. Yeah, so honeyway it was some of the days holidays. Today, on this Friday, as we wrapped up the week. On today's episode of The Fifth Hour podcast, we've got blue Moon over the Malad Militia back lot, Benny, foody fun, and the phrase of the week.
Speaker 1: So we'll start with this.
Speaker 3: I had a fun week of shows, had a fun week of shows. On the overnight, I had a great time this week. It's been a bit of an adjustment period over the last couple of weeks since the company decided to pull axe Eddie. Eddie got whacked in that massive company wide layoff thing that they did. And obviously we've done the show together, me and Eddie for many, many years. We had Eddie on this podcast. We did very well. Eddie's people love Eddie. I love Eddie. We'd worked together for so long that we had everything like the back of our hand down like I had the rhythm of the show, the motion of the ocean, if you will here, That's not quite what I mean by that, but anyway, we did the show a certain way, and obviously things have changed dramatically. Eddie had been my sidekick. I didn't talk that much on the show.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 3: I mean there were times he would talk more. Sometimes Eddie just didn't want to talk. I mean there were times Eddie was just busy working on his own podcast and wouldn't really.
Speaker 1: Be paying attention.
Speaker 3: But we played off each other and it was somebody to play off of for me. And it's much different now. Coop doesn't really talk that much. Loraina talks, but I love Lorraina, but she's not like a big sports person. So pretty much on my own now one man band, solo act, and you can call me the jamis Winston of the radio.
Speaker 1: And so I've tweaked with some different things. I've fetched around trying to get the right rhythm.
Speaker 3: On the show, and I think we found something this week that I'm going to play around with more as we go forward here to try to find that edge. And it does remind me in the early days when I did the weekend overnight show. If you were with me, I mean you're probably old now if you were listening then that was a long time ago. She's twenty over twenty years. But when I started out, I was by myself and it was just me and the board op. We didn't have live updates, and so it's kind of what that was in a way, and I have to kind of get back to that playbook in my head. And so I am using the callers a little more during the show. Certain callers. It's a double edged sword because on one hand, it's exciting to we have some new people that have called the show. It's also hit and miss. As you know, the consumer of all of this, some callers are bad to the bone, and some callers are so bad that they actually become good. Like Gunner's terrible. God does he suck as a caller, but he's so bad he's good from the Walmart in northern Minnesota. And then you've got hollering James who just screams and talks about how many pills he takes a day, and Tammy and Montana and then snores. That's his blueprint to a phone call. But there are some that are just so terrible they make your ears bleed. And so there's that balance there. It's like you don't really know what you're gonna get, and it's undependable. We had a really cool call. It actually happened just a few hours ago. Recording this early on Friday morning, but during the overnight hours the Overnight show, Dave. If you were listening to the show last night, Dave from the Commonwealth called up.
Speaker 1: I forget what hour it was. I think it was our three name it was our three.
Speaker 3: He had spotted former MLB insider Peter Gammons at a small liquor store in the Cape or on the Cape, as they say, and so he wanted to call and tell the story, and of course, you know, we were listening to the wonderful tales of a random guy named Dave, who was well spoken and said that Gammons was very nice. Gamons at one point, if you don't know who Peter Gammons is, like Lorraina. Peter Gammons like the man if you're of a certain age. He was the original insider guy for baseball. You got all your dirt from Peter Gammons, all your rumors from Peter Gammons. And now that's everywhere, but Peter was the beginning of that. He was the forefather of what became the baseball information gurus, which are everywhere. But anyway, so Gammons is old. Now he's semi retired. I guess he pops up on MLB network. I've been told some somewhat regularly, but he's he's not working.
Speaker 1: All the time.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So Dave regaled us with Gammons being at the liquor store, the small little liquor store on the Cape when he was there, and he wanted us to guess what alcohol Gammons was buying at the little liquor store, And so we all guessed, and Larana didn't know who Gammons was and all that. And it turned out that according to Dave, and we have no reason to believe or not believe Dave. He just said this, so we want to believe him that it was a case of blue moon. The game is very polite ordered the blue moon. So it was a blue moon over the Mallard militia. I love the call. I love the call. We need more of that. And I was thinking as I was getting ready for this podcast, I was kind of walking into the studio, walking around a little bit here in the studio, the podcast studio for the fifth hour, and I was like.
Speaker 1: Listen, this is what we need.
Speaker 3: That is the lifeblood of what this show should be. We got away from it for a while. I'd like to get back to that. The essence of what we have been in previous eras on this show, boots on the ground, boots on the ground. And I have said for years, and I know for a fact I've met many of the major insiders in all the sports world that I'm I'm not ragging. I've known them over the years because the website. That it mostly because of the website. Even Peter Gammons was a fan of my website, which is kind of cool.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 3: A lot of the dirt, it's a dirty little secret, does not come from executives or it doesn't come from agents. Now some of it does, but much of the stuff that blows you away comes from people that work at hotels, that are valets at hotels, people that end up working jobs like you know, driving used to be taxi cabs or limos still limos, but the ubers and bartenders and we had a good network at one point in the early days of dudes that were would give us some some intel and let me know what was going on. I had my website, I had people emailing me.
Speaker 1: We had.
Speaker 3: It was insane how many different sources I had that were just regular people but new stuff because they were living their life and work at a barbershop and some quarterback comes in the barber shop and starts telling you stories.
Speaker 1: You pass it on.
Speaker 3: I remember we had a paparazzi guy in the early days from LA and this actually goes back to local radio and.
Speaker 1: The Chicago Bulls were the big star team.
Speaker 3: Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and the Bulls would come to LA twice a year to play the Clippers and the Lakers, and then occasionally they did play in the finals in that period of time, Lakers and Bulls. But the buddy a front of the show is a paparazzi guy, and he would give us updates about the Bulls players going out in the Sunset Strip in Hollywood. And Scottie Pippen was always every time they'd come to La. They had a reputation no tipping, pipping. It was like, well Pippen was at so and so the whiskey of Go Go or whatever it was and didn't hip, and.
Speaker 1: We'd get these stories. It was great.
Speaker 3: And Scotty lives in La now, which is even better. But we also had years ago, we had a guy from Raising Kings not that long ago, who told us that Kirk Cousins would go in there. He worked at a Raisin Kings right near the Vikings facility, and Cousins would going there and ended up ordering the chicken fingers on his way home, you know. And I remember we did a rant because Tom Brady eats avocado ice cream and this, that and the other thing.
Speaker 1: We had Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 3: The juxtaposition of Kirk Cousins who's like the normal dude, just going in there after work, eating some chicken fingers on his way home. But these are the hemoglobin of the show. I mean it just keep them coming. We've had people at Super Bowls. Fortunately recently I've been allowed to go to Radio Row, but for years I was not allowed at Radio Row. But we would have people that were at the Super Bowl, boots on the ground who would.
Speaker 1: Give a story.
Speaker 3: So I have really enjoyed the blue mood over the mal of Militia thanks to Dave from the Commonwealth. And if you just see anything, you hear anything, let me know, call up or send me an email and we'll have some fun with that. Now, today is the beginning of week fourteen for our purposes Benny Versus the Penny.
Speaker 1: The season is.
Speaker 3: Zooming by and you'll find out how I did last weekend if you watched episode from week thirteen, the episode.
Speaker 1: From week thirteen.
Speaker 3: Things are turning around. Things are turning around. How much they're turning around. You will have to pay close attention as I attempt to beguile.
Speaker 1: The Penny.
Speaker 3: I attempt to take down the Penny, and with my charm and my trickery, I will swindle the Penny and I.
Speaker 1: Will end up winning. By the end of the year.
Speaker 3: There's only a few weeks to go in the regular season, so I better pick my act up. It's been a really pathetic year for the most part. But the great thing about this is it's a season long journey and there is still time. If I absolutely kill it these last few weeks of the season, by the time the season ends, my record will look amazing and I will be in really good shape, really good shape, and no one will remember how bad I was in.
Speaker 1: Week three or week four.
Speaker 3: So we do these videos and it'll be up here in a little bit this afternoon evening, depending on where you are in the country. We do these promo videos for Benny Versus the Penny, Whereas just after we tape the show, myself and Looney, we'll just wander around the back lot at Universal Studios, and it's one of those pinch yourself situations every week where you're like, wait a minute, did we break in here? We don't belong here, And we just wander around, walk in different sound stages that are the doors are open, and we walk into different buildings and we have a past.
Speaker 1: We're allowed to be there, and this.
Speaker 3: Week was the coolest experience we've had yet. Now we've been in front of some famous from some famous sound stages at Universal Studios on the back lot where they've done some amazing shows that have been really important parts of American pop culture. But to me, this week, the video that's going to go up this afternoon, I want your feedback on this. You're getting kind of the inside skinny here because you're listening to the podcast, but.
Speaker 1: The video I'll put it up late in the afternoon.
Speaker 3: The video was so cool because we went in a part of Universal Studios that is my favorite part of every movie studio I've been lucky enough to work out. We worked at the Fox lot in the early days of Fox Sports Radio. We had studios over there in West LA on the Peakot lot, and that was awesome and I have so many fond memories.
Speaker 1: Some of the greatest memories in my years in the business were.
Speaker 3: On the Fox lot, and so year I had a similar experience at Universal.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to give too much away.
Speaker 3: I think when you see the video, you'll know, Man, that's like really cool, Like that's that's real Hollywood, right, That's that's what Hollywood, That's what movies are all about. So that that's today, that's backlot Benny and Looney. I realized I should be just promoting the TV show. That that's really what I should be promoting. And I'm promoting a video that will promote the TV show, so indirectly by getting you to watch said video, I am then getting you to watch.
Speaker 1: The TV show. You see what I'm You see what I'm doing there. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would also like to point out that for our purposes, the most important affiliate is NBC Sports Boston. Now, the Celtics are playing. Unfortunately they play early. Celtics play early today and I think, well, I guess I played at seven thirty. But we're our first running of Benny Versus the Penny is not till tonight at eleven thirty tonight on NBC Sports Boston. So NBC Sports Boston will be on after the Celtics postgame show with Tom Giles, Chris Forsberg, and Brian Scalabrini eleven thirty on NBC Sports Boston tonight, So check that out.
Speaker 1: That would be that would be really cool. We'd be very happy if you watch that.
Speaker 3: The check out the video too, And if you miss that running of the show tonight in Boston, it will be on a bunch over the weekend, so you can check it out at a different time. And if you happen to be in phil Ladelphia, Benny Versus the Penny will be on tonight at eleven o'clock and you can check that out on NBC Sports Philadelphia on after birds Huddle. After the birds Huddle, we'll be on and again all weekend. And we're on in La on the Lakers cable channel and that air is all day on Saturday and on Sunday. So the show's going well and hopefully you can continue to watch it and you'll be on Peacock. And if you watch the TV show on cable, that's great watching on Peacock.
Speaker 1: Tell a friend, even if they.
Speaker 3: Don't like me, if they if they have the Peacock thing and they they can turn it on and walk away.
Speaker 1: I don't care. I don't care. All right, let's have some foody fun, foody fun. Let's do it.
Speaker 3: These are some new food items that have popped up the good folks over Jack in the Box. Now, this is not a national chain, it's a regional chain. Jack in the Box. It's mostly in the West, but it's spread its tentacles further east. Jack in the Box testing a new burrito filled.
Speaker 1: With noodles, good or bad? Good or bad?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say bad because the noodle is a cousin of the rice and beans, which are great fillers. So if I read this right, eight bucks for a burrito at Jack in the Box filled with with noodles, which is I always get bothered.
Speaker 1: I don't eat too many burritos. I'm more of a crunchy taco guy.
Speaker 3: The green Goat taco taco's dorado, I believe is what they're called. But anyway, mostly mostly rice in burritos. But eight bucks for noodle, I mean the same concept. It's filler, get people to pay, throw a little meat in there, but mostly filler. You're good to go. So I don't think that's for me, but if you're into that kind of thing, you check it out. Miller High Life is selling a dive bar inspired cologne.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, we have talked about this in previous episodes of the Fifth Hour podcast with myself, Ben and Danny g Radio.
Speaker 1: This is one of the.
Speaker 3: Great marketing money grabs stunts that you can possibly pull off and Miller highlight that they're selling, you know, the gimmick dive bar cologne which sells out right away. We talked about that story, I think it was last episode about the McDonald's company selling the McRib sauce, like gallons of McRib sauce that's sold out within seconds. KFC has done a bunch of these over the years, and they charge a lot. They make a limited edition, so they put a limited amount a product out there and they sell tons of them. They do an absolute killing the drink of water.
Speaker 1: But the people that are hardcore fans your product, they eat it up.
Speaker 3: I gotta get in this right, I gotta what could I do? I need some inspiration here because we have some super fans of this show who I get messages quite a bit. Hey, I need some malord merch and I need I want to support the show, and we occasionally we'll do a T shirt. We haven't done one of those since the Minnesota Mallard meet and greet. We did a limited run of shirts and we sold sold a bunch and it was great and people proudly will wear the shirts at set events and it's it's kind of neat and we had in Vegas we had some key chains and that had the show logo on.
Speaker 1: That was kind of cool. So if you have any ideas, shoot.
Speaker 3: Me an email, let me know what you're thinking of. You you want a certain item with the Malord, you show branding on it or whatever. Uh you know, I know, I know a few people. Plus there's other people if you're if you're in that line of work and you want to you have an idea, run it by me. We had a guy years ago that was a T shirt guy that loved the show. And there was a gentleman named Met the Mad Clown in Texas that was a super fan of the show. And he he is really cool artwork, these cartoon drawings of what he thought the callers to the show looked like.
Speaker 1: And I actually have.
Speaker 3: His art framed. When if you ever come over to the Malor mansion, when you walk into my on air studio, my home studio, right outside, there's a poster of his work and that was on a T shirt which was very popular.
Speaker 1: That goes back. Man, I think that was at least at least fifteen years ago.
Speaker 3: It might have been even longer than that. I mean it was a long time. It was a long time. So anyway, what else foody fun? McDonald's they're bringing back the snack Wrap. They're bringing that for some of you. This is a very important event. But the snack Wrap is returning in twenty twenty five. So there's that. KFC has introduced a new Festive Feast deal and they've got new chicken and Tenders Feast for the holidays, limited time only. Culvers. I love Culvers, Man, that's the in and out of the Midwest. We don't have one where I am. I'm jealous of you that live near Culver's and they're in Florida. Two my friends Sports with Coleman points out they're also in Florida, so I'm like, they're in Florida.
Speaker 1: Fine.
Speaker 3: So Culvers is launching a new chocolate raspberry concrete mixer, so you can check check that out. I also read a story this week which which I thought was rather obvious. It's like Captain obvious stuff. But they made a big deal. They said that the there was a study done. This is a study done by Chowhound, which is a food blog, and the a study that online food delivery has become a trillion dollar business. Now, shout out to Femi from the Uber, each delivery driver and all the other fellas that do this for a living, that deliver food. Many of you while we are on the radio, people that have the munchies, the late night munchies, and you will help them out. However, how do you become a trillion dollar business? Well, with every order, there are all kinds of add on fees that take what should be rather affordable food and make them unaffordable. According to the aforementioned blog, Chowhound delivery services often include fees that are not immediately known to the consumer. They range from service fees, to small order fees, to even hire a menu prices compared to in store purchases, and they found like the cheapest fast food chains in the US under ten dollars, but it's rare to spend less than twenty dollars on a delivery. Once you add in all the tax, the tip, the fees, then all that supplied and there's all these.
Speaker 1: Hidden fees that are there.
Speaker 3: They have the standard delivery charge, there's also that varies based on distance, and there's a lot added on to the final bill. And they did a study also comparing the different delivery apps and the cost associated with all of them. The study found that Postmates had the highest markups the cost averaging ninety two percent higher than normal menu prices.
Speaker 1: So you've used Postmates, you're really your bougie.
Speaker 3: Door Dash and grub Hub they were close behind mark of eighty three and eighty percent, respectively, while Uber Eats they had the lowest markup. So of the major food delivery apps. Uber Eats their markup was sixty nine percent, so which is not good, but compared to ninety two percent by Postmates, you're you're getting out pretty good. According to the story here, a basic order from Chick fil A for nine dollars and eighty five cents can cost up to twenty three dollars and one cent on grub hub. And that's one hundred and thirty four percent markup. And they say even at restaurants with lower markups like you know, Chipotle, Jersey, Mike McDonald's delivery, they'll add forty four to seventy seven percent of the cost of the.
Speaker 1: Meal which I get.
Speaker 3: I I have a relative, if I will not even reveal what the branch of the family tree the relative is in laws who always is ordering food, fast food from delivery, and I don't say anything because I want to be polite and I want to be a dick in Dayton.
Speaker 1: But it's like, what are you doing? You know, you're just wasting your money.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're gonna get food delivery, you might as well go high end food. I like the fast food. I can go to a fast food restaurant. I in my car in the drive through, and I'm good to go. I don't I don't need any any you know, I need somebody to, you know, deliver it to me. I'm not that lazy, but you know that's your thing, that's your jam, and you got the money.
Speaker 1: Good for you.
Speaker 3: And I certainly I don't want people to stop buying food late at night because I got to allow you boys that listen, who are delivering that food. And I know what a pain in the acid is because somebody orders an apple pie and order fries from McDonald's at ten o'clock or eleven o'clock or twelve ago, whatever it is, and you got to get it to him and then they don't tipia and they're a holes.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's a whole thing. I got you.
Speaker 3: I'm not walking in your shoes. But yeah, all right, Nick in Nebraska rights in. He actually sent this on the X machine, and this is going to.
Speaker 1: Be the phrase of the week.
Speaker 3: The phrase of the week is not Nick in Nebraska. Nick says, So, I'm talking to my friend about Patrick Mahomes and how he keeps winning games. Nick says, Nick's in Nebraska a Chiefs fan. He was in Kansas City. I met Nick and his son at the mallor meet and greet. So Nick's a mailman, good dude. So Nick says, Hey, you know my friend Patrick, my friend, we're talking about Patrick Mahomes keeps winning games. And my boy, says Nick, Maholmes has ice water in his veins. And so he said, well kind of hinted with a question, maong, let's get into that. So the phrase ice water in your veins has been around for a while. Well, the original idiom, you know sense it means calm under pressure, things are tough, you're calm. The origin, you know, long ago. The origin was attributed to like reptiles, like snakes are cold blooded, other creatures that are cold blooded.
Speaker 1: Which means you're emotionless.
Speaker 3: You don't show, you don't let people see how you're really feeling. You're calculated, you're cunning, and you're decision making some even evil, some would say evil.
Speaker 1: Right, you're cold blooded and.
Speaker 3: Like a reptile, you know, like a snake or something like that, and you're lacking warmer emotions. If you're warm blooded, you have love, you have compassion, you have sympathy, concern, all those things.
Speaker 1: And so if you've got ice, water in your veins or not like that.
Speaker 3: Now, amazingly, the modern version of this, there's a kind of a CD story about it, ceedy story about it, and the phrase gained a lot of popularity with d Angelo Russell of all people say why yeah Nick in Nebraska, D'Angelo Russell NBA plush still plan.
Speaker 1: The first time he was on the Lakers. He's back on the Lakers now.
Speaker 3: He's credited with popularizing the modern current TikTok version of ice in the veins, and he would celebrate making a big shot. He didn't make many of them by pretending to shoot something into his veins. And he said that his father often told him you have ice in your veins when facing big moments, and that signified coolness underpression. Now there's another darker Internet conspiracy that D'Angelo Russell. That's partially true, but de' angelo Russell's father had a few issues with the run ins with the law.
Speaker 1: So there's there's an alternative reality.
Speaker 3: You can use your imagination on what other people think that actually means. But either way, that is the modern version is because of D'Angelo Russell who popularized the term, which is used on social media, and again it's been around for a while. Originally it meant you were like a cold blooded reptile and you didn't show any emotion. You might have been evil, right, had ice in your veins and.
Speaker 1: All that stuff.
Speaker 3: It was essentially sendonym the cold blooded or cold hearted or something along those lines. All right, So I think that's enough for today.
Speaker 1: Right, that's enough. We got things to do. It's a Friday, a big event coming up tomorrow.
Speaker 3: We'll tell you more about that on the Saturday podcast.
Speaker 1: Have a wonderful day.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you, thank you for supporting this show. And I really do love you you boys that send me the clips from your phone and are podcast on Spotify if you're a listener to this show and the and the radio show on this show, and it's it's awesome, so thank you so many of you. Pete the Machinist and Daryl in the Ozarks, Guy in Houston. I mean, we've had several of you who have sent that out, and I do appreciate that.
Speaker 1: It's awesome.
Speaker 3: It means it means a lot that you guys are listening and you love it, and I am honored.
Speaker 1: I do not. I'm not being sarcastic or anything like that.
Speaker 3: I seriously it means a lot that you'd listen that much to us, really really cool stuff. Anyway, I have a wonderful rest of your Friday, and we'll get you well next time. Later, Skater, Did I do that right? Danny got a murder?
Speaker 1: I gotta go.