Speaker 1: Right justin middle of the field forty five fifteen bring Russ in front of a leading Lions in this way. I am Jeff jonihacklitz is on dot UKR.
Speaker 2: What was like playing for Cochi Gooddom.
Speaker 3: I don't want to answer any questions like that.
Speaker 1: Sixty one yards? What's Sunday stroll for?
Speaker 3: Justin Fields? Bears et Cetera brought to you by Miller Lighte with the voices of the Bears Jeff Joniack and Tom Thayer.
Speaker 1: By this time next week, Bears will be knee deep in their preparation for the Packers, defending champion Kansas City, who opened the season against Detroit, and we'll be figuring out how the Bears will beat the Packers to open the one hundred and fourth season and Bears history. Welcome in episode twelve of Bears et Cetera with Super Bowl winning Bear Tom Theayre. I'm Jeff Joniack, who brought to you by Miller light Taste like Miller Time Chicago. Tom, How you feeling number one as we wrap up yet another week closer to the kid.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling pretty good. But I did just send a message to former Super Bowl MVP and Hall of Famer Richard Dent because this weekend Tennessee State plays.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame matt Notre Dame.
Speaker 3: So I sent a message friendly, how many points you given me, Richard. I'm waiting to hear back from them. But when you think about the preparations for the NFL, you know, the excitement of the first game of the season, it kind of starts the momentum and then it just continues to go downhill from there, and then it gives you an opportunity to get excited for one of the biggest games in the rivalries that I've ever played in in my lifetime. And I don't think the players need to be reminded of it. I don't think they need to be taught of it. Like madd Bieberfu said at the podium today, if you're a dedicated NFL guy, then you're all in and you know about rivalries and you know about their role in their importances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and it's crazy to think that you don't play them again to week eighteen. So this is a vitally important game no matter how you slice it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, it's going to be two different teams and it's not really exaggeration when you look at the amount of time that there is in between the first game of the year and the last game of the year, and then the intensity of the rivalry. But what both teams are searching for at the last game of the year. It's really going to be interesting this year because the enormity of the rivalry is almost going to be two separate seasons of its own.
Speaker 1: All right, here's Matt Eberflus on his roster now twenty six new members of this team since the first of the year. What it all means, No, it's I look at this opportunity.
Speaker 4: You know, we brought a lot of good guys in one thing. About every one of those guys we acquired through the course, and you're right, it's half or maybe more, I don't know, but it's you know, those guys all love football, you know, So it was an easy, easy fit for those guys to gel with the guys that we had currently on the roster.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: So you go through free agency, add those guys, and you go through the draft add those guys, and then weep, you kept adding a couple more guys as of late, and they all love football. So the culture, right there. If a guy loves football, he's going to love his teammates, he's going to love the practice. He's going to love to prepare for games. And that's what we already have in the locker room. So it's a pretty easy.
Speaker 1: Fit, all right, Tom. We know change happens no matter what, because a third of the roster usually gets churned up and changed because of draft and undrafted free agency. Then you throw on twelve to sixteen players in the practice squad are new to the building as well. That's a lot of change for a second year in a row. He and his staff used to it in year one. Is that bode well for year two?
Speaker 3: It does? But I think the conversation started yesterday when Ryan Poles and Ian Cunningham met the media because they talked about the change in the roster and how they feel a lot more confident at certain positions, the depth of this team, the athleticism and where it's going now. You kind of give all the groceries to the head coach and he puts together the meal, and so you know that's one of Bill parcells old sayings, but it is true. You know, Ryan Poles has put together this group of players and I'm excited to see some of these guys that have come aboard and your Tremaine Edmins and your TJ. Edwards and your DeMarcus Walker's DJ Moore, so on and so forth. So I'm excited to see this new cast of characters because I think a lot of these veterans that have NFL experience, they bring a different intensity when they walk in the locker room before the beginning of the regular season. It's a whole different animal, because when you walk in that locker room, no, you know, you're there for a four quarters. You're not there for ten, twelve five plays. It's about you got to be on the field and you got to play at a high level for the whole game.
Speaker 1: Nathan Peterman re signed to the active roster. Tommy Maddy Brifluse asked about that and how important he is to the fifty three.
Speaker 4: We're sure glad to have him back. You know, he's really good for that room. You know him and justin you know, learned you know, the offense together so to speak, so they speaking the same language, so they understand it really well.
Speaker 3: And I think it's good to have him in the room.
Speaker 5: What went to the decision to sign him to the fifty three versus practice squad.
Speaker 3: I know Ryan said yesterday that.
Speaker 1: Both were up on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just we wanted to really secure him in that situation, and you know, we don't know what's going to happen in the future, you know, with who's going to be up for the game, who's going to be the backup, So we'll decide that as we go.
Speaker 5: Right, Ryan talked about being deciding and how comfortable you are with Dagent as the number two. What really from your standpoint as the head coach, what goes into that? What's the big decision as far as having a guy who has no experience in the NFL, has come from Division two, and yet he's in consideration for the number two guy behind fields.
Speaker 4: This performance, you know, the performance he had in camp and the performance he had during those preseason games, and we like where he is and we like where the is, you know, so we're excited to have both those guys and see where they developed to and and where they go.
Speaker 5: But would that be a little bit of a leap of faith for you know, because preseason is different from a regular season than again the games speed, different audiences.
Speaker 1: You're different.
Speaker 5: Sure, is there a little bit of a leap of paper unknown As far as if you made that decision with.
Speaker 4: Pagan, I would say that, you know, you know, we haven't made any decisions yet, so we're we're still in that process. And uh, but yeah, I mean, when you first put a guy out there, like any rookie, like it was Brisker or anybody, you're always you know, he kind of don't know, you know, until you know. Now, what you can go by is what they practice and how they play and how they perform in practice. And that's all you have, and that's what we always have, you know, And somebody's always got to have your first performance. And when they go out there, they'll perform and they'll do they'll really rely with what their practice emits are.
Speaker 1: Well. Well, also hear there are questions about, you know, who's the backup now? Is it going to be Peterman, Is it going to be Tyson Beijing? He is not letting us know about that yet, And I just feel he's going to look at that week to week and see where Beajan's growth is coming, who's going to run that scout team, how how he looks doing that, and how he stays in his playbook each and every week to be ready.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, Matt talked about all the reference points that you make those judgments by anybody who's in a backup role, how do they answer questions in the meeting, How familiar with the are they with the installation of the material according to the opponent they're playing, And he talked about how there's a lot less material when you're starting to implement game plans rather than implementing the whole playbook at the beginning of training camp.
Speaker 1: All right, Jakwan Brisker, any concern still not practicing, He'll stay over this Labor Day weekend while players go maybe and leave town, go see some of their college football teams. Whatever the case may be. He needs to rehab.
Speaker 3: My only concern is if he's not dressed on game day. Other than that, if he is dressed on game day, I'm not going to be concerned. I'm not going to be thinking in the back of my mind that he's unprepared for what's about to take place. So if the coaches, the trainers, the whole staff makes the judgment that Jakwan Brisker is ready to go, then Jeff, you and I have to sit up in that booth and call the game as if Kwan Brisker is one hundred percent and ready to go.
Speaker 1: All right. Here's Eberflus on the status of his second year's.
Speaker 4: Well, it's just to wait and see. You know, how does the rehab go this weekend because he's doing something every day. He's doing something Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and then into Tuesday, and then we'll see where it goes. And again when you get the pads on and start and start cracking and doing full speed movements, then we'll see where it is.
Speaker 1: All right. So that's the latest on Brisker, and it'll be a day to day thing as we work through the week. Next week when they get back to practice. One other thing he talked about was the arrival of another golden domer. As Cole Comet said yesterday town, you can't have too many. You can't have too many domers, that's for sure. So Khalid Kareem is here, a defensive end from the Indianapolis Colt. Here's what Iberflues likes.
Speaker 4: Saw him play run the run well a couple of times and also saw his motor. I really liked his motor, It runs hot, and he's a great effort player and he's very physical, So we like that about him and we're excited about developing him in our system.
Speaker 1: All Right, we watched that kid play. You knew exactly who I was talking about yesterday after watching those coach practices. But there are a couple of players on that defensive line that we're very aggressive about the snap, and he was one of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I like the fact that he jumped forty foot out of a helicopter in Hawaii and he likes the scuba dive because that takes a certain amount of courage that you have to be become comfortable with, and I think a lot of that has to also takes place in a football game. So yeah, I am glad to see depth at the defensive line position. I need to see that seven or eight guys that are going to take the field on Sunday and be part of a rotation that can contribute at a high level. And I think we're really fortunate to have Ben at those Indianapolis practices to know exactly how he plays, who he is, and what he's going to contribute. So I'm excited to see it and yeah, Cole, we need more domers, and well, I don't know if we need more domors, but we need the ones that show up to play well.
Speaker 1: And here is Kareema. What kind of player we should expect to see?
Speaker 6: Hard worker? You know, I'm going to come in here every day with that mindset that, you know, prove why I'm here. Just have to earn it, honestly, gritty guy in blue collar So that's really all I know.
Speaker 7: Is hard work.
Speaker 6: From what you know about the scheme, how do you think you fit beast of what they want to do, Hans. I'm still learning the playbook, but I see right now I feel like I'm fit pretty well in the system. You know, Well I get it down, I'll be good.
Speaker 1: What's your labor day weekend look like? Having to learn this playbook?
Speaker 3: Uh, labor day weekend? I said.
Speaker 6: At this point, I don't know. I was planning on probably going to North Carolina do some scuwa ivan, but now I don't know. Honestly, I'll probably just go back to Indye, pack my stuff up, then head back here.
Speaker 1: That's not the only new player brought in. Trent Taylor Tom will be the punt returner in week one. That's the plan anyway. He was brought here after being let go by the Cincinnati Bengals. It surprised him. Started his career with San Francisco. He was asked a lot about how he secures the football and what is the key to it and the strange questions for me if I'm him, media asking Vayalas Jones Junior. Not now he's competing with Valas Jones Jones Junior and trying to get Vayles to get back on track to be a punt returner. They're not giving up on him just yet. They're gonna keep working him. He'll be the kick returner week one. But as a player, when somebody comes in to take your position or that position still is backed up by a young player like VELAs, those are tough questions to answer answer for a veteran, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They are? But you know, Vayalas Jones Junior, if he had secured every single punt he caught over the last two years, we really wouldn't be talking about bringing in a new punt returner here. Taylor has got familiarity with coach High Tower. He's played a lot of center field in baseball, and he understands the flight of a ball in the air in a baseball is a lot smaller obviously than a football, but when conditions inside Soldier Field can affect the flight of the football a lot more so. I'm glad they bring an experience at the punt returning position because every single time the Bears get a chance to get the football, they need to secure the catch and give their offense an opportunity.
Speaker 1: Here's more with Taylor on the reality in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a weird feeling because I don't know anybody in the building, I don't know the offense, but like I have a spot on the team, which is just like a weird feeling right now. But so I'm looking forward to getting to know everybody, getting close with the team and learning the playbook, and yeah, we'll be ready to go.
Speaker 1: Week one apparently had some bad pizza too in his rookie debut against the Bears, he said, and yet he was He had a little Michael Jordan esque situation, like so Lake City back in the NBA Finals. But yeah, hey, we encourage you try the pizza again, give it another shot. Here in Chicago. We got great pizza time. What is yours? Where's your go to?
Speaker 3: My buddy Marco runs a place called Pizza Metro on Division and it's authentic. They're from Italy. It's some of the best pizza. You can order by the whole pizza or by the slice, and they're rectangular slices that are cut in six or eight piece each and so if you're downtown you're looking for a unique style of pizza, try it out. It's on the thinner side, So get yourself a couple slices.
Speaker 1: Nice. Thank you to you're notited. Airlines official airlines of the Chicago Bears. One other nugget on Trent Taylor five returns of twenty yards and more last season as a share of the lead in punt returns of that length last season. So the guy did play well in that situation and he will be the guy does not know the playbook. He just got dropped don here and like we said, that's the reality of the National Football League. And he'll spend time this weekend learning that. Tevin Jenkins, Doug Kramer, Tommy to ir they're going to miss a minimum of the first four games of the season. You're hopeful when we started this whole thing in episode one that Devin would remain healthy for the whole season, and you know it's tough for an offensive lineman obviously, but history of injuries and he will miss the first four games. How do you analyze that? Then? From your perspective on these two guys.
Speaker 3: Super super disappointed because at the beginning of the year, talking to one of the reporters, I was saying, Tevin Jenkins needs a drama less type of a season where he comes in here, he takes over at left guard. He plays with the strength, the athleticism that he's put on display. And I think when you get a chance to play against next to a guy like Braxton Jones and whomever's going to play center, I thought Tevin would be the left guard for a long time to come. But I think it's some type of freakish injury that happened. No blame to Tevin, but now they're fortunate to have a player as versatile as Cody white Hair that he can take one giant step to his left, getting a three point stance and play the position game day.
Speaker 1: Schnecking calls for good foods Chucky Guacamalde made with has avocados, tomatoes, onion, cilantro on, a squeeze of lime juice. The perfect neck to watch while the Bears win. Score some today at your local grocery store. Game day is guac Day. Another interior lineman coming aboard another Chicago area. Can we touched on it? An episode eleven? Dan Feenie comes aboard and met the media for the first time. You can tell he is a Chicago in town through and through here. Here's what he did growing up a Bears fan as a kid.
Speaker 7: My grandma would always put on the Super Bowl Shuffle on VHS and make me watch it when she was babysitting me. So that was that was pretty cool. Yeah, So that those are some of the first memories right there growing up. I love Walter Payton just how I ran the ball. I mean, he was just so cool. My grandma loved him, so it was just she was his favorite player or he was her favorite player, and I just naturally kind of adapted him as well. And just watching the highlights from when he was in his heyday, it was just incredible.
Speaker 1: And one thing more, it was mentioned by Justin Jones, and Dan Feeney enjoys beer, so he can. He confirmed it in this SoundBite as well.
Speaker 7: Beer drinker. I mean shooting anything that's cold really mostly Millard course.
Speaker 1: So that's perfect timing, you know, because we're brought to you by Miller Like tastes like Miller Time Chicago, and that is a Dan Feene's Miller Time impressions on Dan Feenie, I don't know if you're able to hear him at the podium today, but he thinks he still has starter quality to him, can play at a high level at all three.
Speaker 3: Interior positions, you know, and I agree with them. You know, the reason that Ryan Poles went out and searched a guy like that, and even Matt ever Fluse mention it is that he has that interior versatility. So if he has to come in at a moment's notice and play center or either guard, he can play the position equally as well. And that's a unique talent. And I think he has the right length for the position and he has a good understanding of the interior side of football. But they also made mention of the five or six local guys that have they have on that team. You know, I'd like to pressure that. It kind of puts on us as local guys, because we have so many people surrounding us that are not only pulling for us, but they're asking questions, why, how come? What's going on? And so it makes you, you know, have that sustained high level of performance. So I like it that we have these local guys. I'm glad Dan's here. I'm excited to meet him, and I hope his family really gets the opportunity to enjoy his career here in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, folks in Orland Park. He went to Samberg High School, friends with Michael Schofield, who talked highly about the Bears, highly about Justin Fields. Feenie also sporting a mullet thanks to COVID. I guess decided grows hair and did you have one?
Speaker 3: No, But I was talking to Jay Hilgeberg yesterday. I said, someone tweeted him saying it's the best mullet since Jay Hilgenberg. You know, Jay has him. I know we are talking to we'll talk about it before the Tampa game about what happened to Jay's mullet in the long haul. That's a story for a later podcast, so we'll talk about it. But Hey, if I had hair, I probably have a mullet.
Speaker 1: Well, you know his favorite player, thanks to just the excellence of this unique player, the Hall of Famer, the greatest running back of all time, Walter Peyton. You'll have to tell your story about getting in the huddle. In there there stands Walter Payton and the awe that you had, And that's some you can share a player like Dan Feene.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would be excited to see it, because, you know, being in awe of Walter from the outside in is a lot different than being in awe of Walter Payton from the inside in. And my first opportunity to stand in the huddle with them, I felt like that commercial where they have the adults that are acting and talking like kids, because as a semi adult, when I stood in the huddle, I felt like that kid. I was so excited to see Walter Payton and to meet him and to be around him and to learn about his personality and as an adult, one of the only autographs I've ever asked for is from Walter Payton of a picture of him and I as I was pulling out and form and him behind me, and something I will cherish for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: Well, you got to get over that awe immediately, don't you.
Speaker 3: No, No, you know, the awe inspired me because you think about a play as simple as something called a slant forty five, you know that the block you make is instrumental, and Walter Payton having success, so that kind of puts pressure on you. It's like the first time they put William Perry in the backfield and the play was directly behind Jay and I and I said, if I don't get out of the way, William Perry is going to hit me right in the back and it could either take me out or I don't know what's gonna happen. So it was probably one of the better blocks ever. But you know, guys like that, they the awe inspires you.
Speaker 1: Well, you didn't give me the whole play, though, isn't it Slant forty five?
Speaker 3: Pinch ot No, No, No, that's a whole different place. Slant forty five is a basic off tackle play that you know. Walter Payton follows a double team block between me and Van Horn and then Matt Soon the fullback leads up to the second level and you just try to get that impact zone created and Walter does the rest.
Speaker 1: This is Tom Bair, Jeff joniach On, Bears, et cetera. Five hundred and twelve players are on NFL practice squads today, and I know that makes you happy. Thrill Trevis Bell's back. I'm trilled symbol Webster's back as a as a guy that might find his way in the return game if there are injuries. Michael Baskerville impressed during training camp. Greg Strohman, another veteran, made a ton of plays during training camp. As you look at that list, anybody else stick out? And how do you feel about? Five hundred and twelve players are making a pretty good paid end practice squads even though they want to be on the active roster.
Speaker 3: You know, you know Carlson the tight end I'm interested in because I thought he was a good player throughout training camp and we always talk about the injuries that can happen at the tight end position. So you have to take this job very seriously. You have to go out there and practice with the same intensity as if you are the starter for the team and the upcoming week. You have to live in the weight room. You have to pay attention to the meeting room. You have to do everything within your power to when your numbers called. You got to take advantage of that opportunity because a lot of these guys before the season's over, we're going to be talking about them and gained day uniform. So I like the chance for all of them. And like you mentioned Travis Bell, he's got a unique set of qualities at the defensive tackle position that are just a little bit a little different because he's maybe an undersized defensive tackle, but he plays with leverage, he's got unique speed, He's got a couple moves that I would like to see him be able to use. But every one of those guys in the practice squad, I pull for him because it's a great opportunity to be in the NFL.
Speaker 1: And Bill Murray's on there ye practice squad.
Speaker 3: I saw that and it kind of made me chuckle because the last time that we are in New York, he was standing behind us where we are doing our TV show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but do you know Mile Murray? Do you know about this guy's though he's from William and Mary played with the Patriots. He played defensive line and offensive line, so he was a defensive lineman in college. They moved him into a tackle position, but he could do both. And at one point in a preseason game he was a punt gunner.
Speaker 3: Well you know what, listen, Big Cat Williams started as a defensive tackle, moved over and became an awesome offensive lineman for a double digit career. Stan Jones, one of the greatest Chicago Bears in NFL history, was a seven or eight time All Pro at offensive line and defensive line for another seven years. So you know there's guys that have done it. You have to have a unique set of qualifications that you know you can play both positions. But hey, you know, congratulations to Bill Murray for cultivating both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: Score a huge savings on an impressive lineup of items that jewelasto for you. This handy app features hot digital deals and everything from premium produce and savory snacks to butcher meeting more. Get additional details at jewelasco dot com. Ryan Poles. In less than eighteen months, there's only eleven players left from the previous regime. Eight of them are starters. I mean that's massive. And we knew this was gonna happen, so this is not a shock. And when you take over and things haven't gone well, this is what happens. But even looking at that in those two years, not even two years, that's major change, a lot of transactions and more to come.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Jeff, we had a great chance to interview him on the last preseason game, and what are he and Ian Cunningham getting ready to do is go around and scout a bunch of other college players. So this is a never ending cycle. Whether you're looking at pro caliber talent that are other teams and other practice squad that go through the cut system that you're looking at maybe they can sit on your team, or if you're already four thinking about what you're gonna need in next year's draft and you start putting these guys on the big board from the college. It's just a process that never starts. But again that should be the motivator for the guys that are starters, are on the tier of a backup, because always know there's a guy somewhere in some place coming for your job. So it's about how you work today that's gonna keep you know, is going to influence all coaches.
Speaker 1: Well, brought to you by PNC Official Bank of the Bears. All right, do a little packer talk here, Buddy Jordan Love quote. We've kind of tailed the offense around the plays I like things I like, and I'm sure that I'll carry on throughout the season. We're gonna find out what those plays are. What do you suspect they will be? He had eight possessions in the preseason, three of the men in touchdown drives, one each to Romeo Dobbs, Jaden Reid their new rookie slot, and Christian wattson the guy that came on strong yet last season.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's gonna be much different than what they saw from Aaron Rodgers. A little bit of a movement, uses athleticism, you know, challenges accuracy, see how he reads at the line of scrimmage. And obviously the running game is going to play a significant role in this offense. But I guess the best person that you should interview for that question would be Luke Getzi. What did you use in practice that he was the most familiar with that if you had to put him in the game. Whereas your comfort zone? So you know, the Bears have a unique opportunity to interview a coach that's in the in their on their own team. But when you look at Jordan Love. They brought him here because he had a similar template of Aaron Rodgers, and he had the athleticism that you needed to run that system. So I don't think there's going to be much of a difference. It's just going to be inexperienced first, the extreme experience of Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 1: All right, so you ask, I'm just saying this hypothetically. Yet, Okay, why do the Bears want to bring speed? Speed kills? You can't ever have too much speed. They bring on speed on both sides of the ball. But the Green Bay Packers have speed. Now, they have a lot of speed, a lot of speed. Here are some of the numbers at receiver. Now you got Christian Watson at four three six read four four five. Packers insist he was hand timed at four to three seven and Romeo Dobs four to four to seven tight end Luke Musgrave by far much faster than the tight ends they had there last year at four six one. So you know the defense will be ready to deal with that speed. You got to answer some physicality with that speed.
Speaker 3: Beat him up.
Speaker 1: A little bit of the line of scrimmage slowed things down. Tommy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here you know, every single team across the board, whether we're talking about week one, two, or three, they're going to have speed out wide receiver. That is as impressive when you talk about forty numbers. But how quickly can you make Jordan Love process the thinking that he needs to go through after the ball is snap. That's going to be the key ingredient. Is it possible to cover some of these four low forward forty type guys for five seconds? No, it's impossible across the board in the NFL. But if you can make Jordan Love think at a one point three second or less, then you're going to put yourself in a winning position defensively. So yeah, those forty times are impressive, but it's about what the front seven can do to confuse him and put pressure on him as immediately as you cup possibly can.
Speaker 1: All Right, As of Tuesday and all the moves that were made ine on the initial fifty, Packers wound up being the youngest team in the league average age of twenty five. Bears tied for tenth at twenty five point seven. Most NFL teams are in that range of twenty five, getting close to twenty six. New Orleans is the oldest I think almost twenty eight, but it's the youngest team in football coming into town for Week one. A couple of other nuggets around the league. Minnesota investing a lot of money in TJ. Hockkinson, highest paid NFL tight end in history four years, sixty eight and a half million, highest paid with an annual average, just ahead of Darren Waller and George Kittle.
Speaker 3: Thoughts, you know it's big money, it's a big investment. You know, they have speed on the outside as well, and they have experience at the quarterback position. It's going to be interesting to see allultimately what they do at the running back position in terms of first and second tier. But the tight end is going to have to have a big influence both blocking and catching, and he's going to have to be ready and a valuable for all seventeen games. He's had a couple of injury issues throughout training camp that you're going to have to pay attention to during the regular season. But that's a heavy duty investment in the tight end position, Especially when we talked about a little bit earlier, sometimes you can lose man hours on the field due to injuries at the tight end.
Speaker 1: Busy Heart Seltzer, the official Heart Seltzer of the Chicago Bears, NFL mourning the loss of Gil Brandt, Gil a Pro Football Hall of Famer in one of the architects of the Dallas Cowboys success back in the day, vice president player personnel there for twenty eight years with Cowboys as an expansion team in nineteen sixty. Came over from the La Rams with Tech Shram, who was outstanding pre Cowboys with that Rams franchise and then fired by Jerry Jones in nineteen eighty nine. Has really carried the torch for Scouts, and you and I have met many in our career, you as a player as well as a broadcaster, close friendships. We know what that lifestyle is like. It's a constant, never ending grind to be away from your family to find the next great player or somebody who fits in your organization, and the process never ends. I have great respect for Scouts, great respect for what he accomplished and helped, you know, start NFL radio in serious XM. He really was a big part of that in two thousand and four and passed away at the age of ninety one today. So I don't know if you ever met the man if you ran into him at all, you know.
Speaker 3: Through Mike Dicka had the opportunity to meet him a couple times, which I was really inspired because when I was a young kid coming up through the NFL, he's the guy that I really wanted to and press him. Jim thinks Al Davis guys that had such a strong voice in the NFL that if they had a high opinion of you, you felt like you could really become a player. But as I was watching some of the footage of him on TV today, the archaic scouting, Like when I looked in behind him, he had hundreds of binders and it's for different teams, different players, and you think of going page by page of your evaluation process, whereas now you click on your computer and every single one of those hundreds of binders behind him were all into this compact screen. So from what Gil did to where scouting is now, he is a super influence on the scouts of today. But the archaic way he went about it was the extreme.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from what I understand, a lot of yellow notebook pads, that's for sure. But he's also credited with being the first in the NFL. He use computers to at least enter grades for prospect and also psychological testing, which is now an automatic. I didn't know this. He was born in Milwaukee, went to Wisconsin and his first job after college, Tom was baby photographer.
Speaker 3: Nice thing I did see. I saw a clip of him and he's going over one of the players evaluation and he's got this stamp and it says reject oh, and he stamps it. I couldn't you know, I still got chills, and I couldn't believe how demoralizing it would be if your name was at the top of that scouting profile in all sud boom reject on it. And so you know, that's the reality of football from the sixties into today.
Speaker 1: Right, no question about it. And interesting because you talk about all the camps you went to when you came out of school and a part of your draft class, there were three camps. He was driving force along with Tech Shrimp, to merge those three scouting combines into one to form what we down to, oh is the National Scouting Combine.
Speaker 3: So when I came out of college, he had a combine in Detroit, one in Tampa, one in Seattle, and then they combined them all together. And that's what we know of today. But I think they do a better job of housing it in Indianapolis. So all the players are together in one room at one time.
Speaker 1: All Right, we're gonna wrap it up, tom. Captains have been named Tremaine Edmonds, Eddie Jackson, DJ Moore and Justin Fields. There will be an honorary camped in each week as Fluce had a season ago. Good choices across the board, Oh no doubt.
Speaker 3: You know these guys all have experience, and what an impact that Tremaine, Eddmins and DJ Moore must have made in the locker room. Went on the practice field to impress the players enough where they got voted in as captain. So I'm happy for them and I hope they have a strong voice and influence in the locker room in a positive direction.
Speaker 1: Now I'm going to be a little mean. I'm going to get your dander up just in time to start pack a week after the Labor Day holiday. But I want to just put this in your mind so you con fester a little bit over the weekend. All right. I don't know what your plans are for the Labor Day, but so the Bears last beat the Packers in twenty eighteen, they got an eight game losing streak. The Bears are four and twenty six against the Packers in the last meetings. I want you to stew on that a little bit, munch on it, get angry, and let's beat the Packers. How about it?
Speaker 3: You know how you know how angry we are when we're leaving Lambole Field after a big loss. You just you just lit that wick.
Speaker 1: Thanks all right, you have a good Labor Day weekend. Nonetheless, thanks for listening to everybody. Please subscribe now the Chicago Bears Official app, Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or wherever you get your podcast. This has been Bears et cetera, Episode twelve with Tom Thayre. I'm Jeff Joni. I have a great holiday weekend. We'll talk to you next week.