Speaker 1: Wats up and welcome back to another episode of No Sinners Podcast with your host. Now, fuck that with your load glasses malone Great of an extented amount or intensity considerably above the normal or average. One more time, nigga great of an extent of an extent amount or intensity considerably above the normal or average Great the etymology means big and massive. Saw an interview on drink excuse me on drink Chans for Tony Ye Yo and one of the questions was asked to someone about their favorite rapper and the whole answer back ice Cube, and Yo says to him, shout out to Tony Yo Yo, what a big dog. Tony Aal says Cube not fucking with Big. And I heard that, and I thought to myself, Cauz like, I'm not mad at no New York nigga not really thinking, Cube with a whole career is not better than Big with two records because Cube had excuse me, because Big had two phenomenal motherfucking records, ready to die life after death for phenomenal joints. But after that, he says something to the equivalent of Cube ain't a better storyteller than Big. That's where I got a motherfucking problem. That's where I got a motherfucking problem. Dog, Like, what are we really fucking talking about? Cube is not a better storyteller than Big. So I asked a couple of my partners that's on the island, shout out to all my partners in New York.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I call them niggas the Islanders because it's like they kind of have this restricted view of hip hop as the creators, which I respect.
Speaker 2: I'm not tripping.
Speaker 1: That's how we feel about gang banging. You feel me, so I could relate. But then I do expect that times for them niggas to really see shit for what it is. And I realized in their mind that they had the same feeling about Big. And that's not to say much notorist. Big is a fucking terrific storyteller, like fantastic storyteller, like this nigga is incredible, but Ice Cube Couzin is on another level. And I'm talking to Charlotte Mane and Charlet Magne is telling me BIG's catalog is all stories, and I'm like, you obviously haven't heard ice cues catalog because you just wouldn't have said that you know what I'm saying. So I took it upon myself to compile a list, do some homework over a couple of days, compiling lists and start figuring out, damn.
Speaker 2: What are the ten greatest stories in hip hop?
Speaker 1: That would be a real way to get into this, like to really take it well because as a certain place in brand, you know what I mean, when you like an artist dog, that's a preference. And you could say best, best is a preference, Better is a preference. Great its measurable. Great is measurable because it's not like better or best. Great means there's analytics to back this shit up. So I took the time and I start going through joints and I was like, okay, let me look through these joints. So as I remember going back through records jamming, I was jamming for hours, jamming for hours, and I came up with a few things. Before I get into the ten greatest stories in hip hop history, I'm gonna talk about some that deserved just a quick conversation.
Speaker 2: All the storytelling by Outcast. That's a fantastic story.
Speaker 1: I used to love her by Common even though it's a way of him shitting on gangster rap and West Coast Hip hop. It's a fantastic story. Shout out to Common six in the Morning by Ice Q. While I might not have it as the greatest, it's probably the most impactful. It's shape gangster rap the way we know it today. As far as West Coast Hip hop goes with storytelling. One of the songs in here is actually a direct descendant of ice T six in the Morning Shout out to the O G.
Speaker 2: Love's Gonna Get You by BDP.
Speaker 1: That deserves an honorable mention because that's a fantastic story. Kick Push by Lupe Fiasco barely missed it. That's a fantastic story. Louis my man and this is what he does. He's a fantastic storyteller as well. Paul Revere by the Beastie Boys. I don't think it gets credited as the story it is, but it's a dope ass story. Jen and Juice and Murder Was the Case is tied. Now this is the thing. While Murder Was the Case is a story that's really popular and spawned the whole album. I understand because they didn't necessarily decide to push.
Speaker 2: It across the world.
Speaker 1: It was something that took a life of its own right, and Jen and Juice it should be top five, except most people don't know Jen and Juice is actually a story. Yes, Jen and Juice is a story. You hear the hook and you jamming, and you're saying the words, but you don't know you're you're listening to a story of a day with Snoop Dogg going into the night.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Shout out to Tonight because I genuinely believe DJ Quick Tonight's inspired Jen and Juice. Now let's get to the shit. Add number ten on the Top ten Hip Hop's Greatest story, Boys.
Speaker 2: In the Hood.
Speaker 1: By Nwa, written by Ice Cube, delivered by Eaze. I don't got to tell you how great of a story the song Boys in the Hood is. You know the fucking song, You know the fucking story right, What it did, how it impacted hip hop. It launched the career of Nwa. That's NWA's first hit. That's the reason why people started giving Nwa a chance. It's one of the only two records that ever charged for Nwa as far as the big charts even go batting straight out of counter it launched Eazy E into stardom. Easy was somebody who didn't rap before that. He took on that song and it changed him into a star, and NWA had a star to you know wrap. They group around before Cube came into his own. When Cube was just a writer in a dope MC you know what I mean, easy E was their star. Because of Ice Cube's pen and Boys in the Hood. Obviously, everybody started to figure out how dope of a rider Ice Cube was.
Speaker 2: Because of Boys in the Hood, the.
Speaker 1: Word got around that Ice Cube was a fantastic motherfucking writer. It lost Doctor Dra into a gangster rap producer. Once that happened, Doctor Dre didn't look back until Doctor.
Speaker 2: Dre Presents Aftermath.
Speaker 1: Doctor Dre was committed to that hardcore style because of the success of Boys in the Hood. It's arguably the biggest NWA song. Fuck the Police may be the most impactful, but I don't think everybody knows the lyrics to Fuck the Police. I think they know the movement that is Fucked the Police. They may have heard the hook and the beat, but they don't know the words. Straight out of Camp obviously is a really special joint. But man, I cannot tell you how many motherfucking kids under the age of twenty know Boys in the Hood. Mind you, Boys in the Hood is a direct descendant of six in the Morning, So that's Ice Tea's influence on ice Q. The ironic part about the whole conversation is the song wasn't written for NWA or Easy. It was written for a New York crew called HBO Homeboys, only they did not like the song. They turned down a song that ended up being generational, defining them. Niggas is not popping because of that shit. You cannot turn down the winners. I'm sure they didn't know, but I bet you they know now. Number nine slick Rick's Children's Story. Slick ricks Children's Story. Y'all all know this motherfucking song. Everybody remember this song when they was a fucking kid. It's self produced. Slick ricked himself produced. That's something we don't glowed enough about when you know hip hop artists produced their own shit and the records that are successful. It spawned one of the greatest R and B hits to come out of LA a number one song, This Is How We Do It by Montel Jordan because it was such a dope break and such a dope melody that slick Rick made it turned Montel Jordan's song into an even bigger song. It's the motherfucking story that keeps song giving. Something else I don't think people realize about the children's story is if you listen to the lyrics, the little boy was surrounded and that ended his glory. And that's the way Rick had to end that story. He was only seventeens in a mad man's dream. The shot that cops shot the still hear him scream they shot the nigga after he dropped the gun. So in theory is one of the first motherfucking records that we can identify as somebody saying, hey, the police ain't right. This comes out before in wa There's another song on my list that actually brings up police brutality and excessive force too, But you know it don't get enough credit. But we'll talk about it when we get to there. What the fuck kind of story is that? To tell your nephews and nieces remember about this slick Rick story, because this is something a story's telling his nephews and nieces before a bad time, and they sound like they was four Rick. We gotta talk about that. That's a fucking crazy story to tell. Somebody four or five, and the kids shipped off the shit too. They thought this motherfucker was crazy. They was calling him, where Rick, Uncle Riggy is weird?
Speaker 2: Rick?
Speaker 1: You can't be telling the motherfucking kids kind of stories at that age, man, Like, I get it. We as black people in America. You know we're gonna have to deal with some shit. But that's a crazy, bad time story, Nigga. Most people is telling people about you know, singing people marry go rounds and lovbiards and shit. And you telling motherfucking story about kids and motherfucker's getting killed and shit by the police getting shot.
Speaker 2: We gotta talk about that, big Dog.
Speaker 1: Number eight is one of the most underrated stories in disrespect the stories in the history of hip hop. Number eight is Through the Wire by Kanye West. Through the Wire by Kanye West self.
Speaker 2: Motherfucking produced.
Speaker 1: I don't got to tell you about the production of Kanye West because we had already heard it before that. But we were introduced to Kanye West, the motherfucking rapper, This motherfucker rapping the story of his personal tragedy as it happened, a wreck at three am in LA while working on music, falling asleep on the wheel getting into a car accident that fucks him up. I think he had to be you know, let like they had to get him out the car through the jaws of life at three in the morning. The motherfucking ended up at Cedars. Side nine word was when Couz was in the hospital, he started writing lyrics to this song, like like when he came out of his coma, and I think either his face had the surgery like the.
Speaker 2: Inside scope was.
Speaker 1: Cuz was starting to figure out the song, like he already knew he was gonna flip through the Fire by Shaka Khan to make this song, so they said when they came to the studio. When it came to the hospital, Cuz had like some ideas already for lyrics. He recorded the song only two weeks after. That's why if you listened to Through the Wire, Cuz barely can open his mouth. As I said, before he samples Shaka khns Through the Fire. Shaka Khan wouldn't even clear the motherfucking song until she saw that video. That video was one of the most brilliant and creative things I've ever saw in hip hop. If we're keeping it, that's that video was crazy make sure you check that shit out. That shit was unfrecking believable, and Shaka Khan wouldn't clear it until she saw the video.
Speaker 2: She ended up regretting it.
Speaker 1: This shit talking about how he did the vocals, but he did Shakakana favorite because that shit is paying. And whoever wrote that song for Shaka Khan they getting paid because I know for sure of them niggas they make no money. I'm willing to bet that was no publishing to get on that song. I've never heard a story in hip hop that turns such tragedy in a triumph. It's funny because that's one of the lyrics to the song, but I never heard that. Like a lot of hip hop stories that sad end on a sad note, this is one of the few that took a real underdog story, a sad story and he.
Speaker 2: Won at the end.
Speaker 1: And in real life, the whole time Ya was trying to convince Rockefeller that he was going to be a successful rapper, this was the song that proved it. I don't even think Rockefeller believed in it right when they recorded, but they put it out and then everything worked out. So shout out to Yan for that but yeah at number eight through the wife Kanye West.
Speaker 2: Respect that as a story. It is number seven.
Speaker 1: My favorite artist in the history of artists, Scarface. I Seen a Man Die, Scarface, I Seen a Man Die. I don't know if you know the song I never seen a man cry till I Seen a Man Die. That's actually the title of the song because I've seen a Man die.
Speaker 2: It's one of.
Speaker 1: Scarface's only two top forty records. This is the song that launches Scarface into solo.
Speaker 2: Start n O Joe on the beat.
Speaker 1: Mike Dean, Mike Dean changes his abject Mike Dean changes his trajectory. You know a lot about Mike Dean now because he works with Kanye, and Scarface is another person that produced on a song that really doesn't get enough credit as a producer. So shut out to Face for that production, right if you heard Share so Many Tears. I don't have to explain to you how touching the song is.
Speaker 2: Just go listen to it. Dog.
Speaker 1: It's sad like that's a sad story where the dude dies in the end and regrets his circumstances. That's mostly how sad stories end in hip hop. It inspires shed So Many Tears by Tupac. If you go look at the Outlaws, the Outlaws have interviews where they say Pac was listening to Shed so Many Tears, and after that he went to the studio to write Excuse Me. He was listening to I've Seen a Man Die, and he went to the studio to write Share so Many Tears, which ended up being one of PAC's greatest songs in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: That launched him.
Speaker 1: Like all of my older homies, all the gang members before that, they might have played Pac a little bit when I get around you, I mean maybe a little bit of Dear Mama maybe, but Dear Mama's after, you know.
Speaker 2: Not so much.
Speaker 1: Keep your head up. Like niggas respected it as a kid. I washed it because that shit was fire. But she had so many tears. Is when my big homies and a lot of g niggas I know started really playing Tupac religiously.
Speaker 2: And it's probably the saddest story in hip hop.
Speaker 1: How a nigga get out of prison during seven years and getting to some shit, end up back in prison and commit suicide. And it's crazy because I think, I mean, Scarface is like one of the niggas like Edgar Allan poecuz of hip hop, like that nigga shit is so heartfelt. And as I was talking to Charlemagne about Scarface, he said, Mans, other people have never touched you like Scarface, and that's what makes Scarface brilliant, like his richness, his texture as a storyteller. He's for sure my favorite guy of all the guys in the world right but again, it's like he has the work to back it up. I've seen a man die as One of the most popular stories in hip hop history at number six is the message Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five. It's the birth of conscious rap. This is the first conscious rap song. It's another sad story where somebody ends up dying at the end and them niggas end up going to jail. And the crazy part is the owner of the label, Sylvia Robinson, is the only person who believed in the song.
Speaker 2: Mind You.
Speaker 1: Nobody else from Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five is on the song, but Melly Mail and the producer Duke Booty.
Speaker 2: That's the only people on the song.
Speaker 1: Melli Mail didn't even like the song because at that point hip hop was all about partying. Like I always tell y'all. The hop is a party. The hop was the way they used to The hop is like my father and them used to call a dance. H we going to a hop. Hip is a is a cool thing. So hip hop is where it came from. So hip hop was about you know, partying and being both for about making yourself.
Speaker 2: Why are you so fresh? Why you so ooh?
Speaker 1: Until the message came out, the message birth dealing with the struggle completely different. You know what I'm saying not to mention most people don't know, but it was written as a theme to the nineteen eighty New York City Transit straight like this was hip hop breaking barriers. Then the message is a fantastic It's probably the second greatest story to ever come out of hip hop. So even though people didn't believe that this was going to be the wave of hip hop, Melly Mal and Duke Booty took a chance ended up birthing a genre. That's why what Melly Mail has, what he has to say about eminem or any other rapper, I just listen. Even if I don't agree, I'll just disagree. You know, Mail, I don't know, but I put respect on the shit. Melly mall talking about because he birthed the genre of conscious rap. There is no NAS without Melly Mail. There is no motherfucking Tupac without melly Mail. There is no conscious rap without fucking Melly Mail. Ice Que may check yourself from the Message, which is another fantastic story that we don't really give credence to. Can't Nobody Hold Me Down? By Puff and motherfucking Mace is a flip of the Message that was a smash hit record. Coyner Rayge just flipped it last year and made players and that Motherfucker was a number one smash, a huge record. It's just levels not to mention. This is most likely one of the most important, if not the most important, reason that the Grand Master Flash and Furious Five were the first hip hop act inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 2: And it's most likely because of the song the Message.
Speaker 1: So it's weird that they didn't want to fuck with the song, but this song is probably the primary reason. No disrespect to the rest of their work. The rest of they work get off too, but this particular song is a gang changing song and it birth I don't like You don't get Kendrick Lamar without the fucking message.
Speaker 2: So shout out to mail. Shout out to Duke.
Speaker 1: At number five. We right back with my boys, Scarface mind playing tricks on me by the Ghetto Boys. The reason I give Scarface so much created is Scarface wrote three of the four verses. It was a Scarface solo song. Jay Prince thought it was a good idea and he thought it could break the Ghetto Boys. Jay Prince was right. Shout out to Jay Prince that motherfucker don't be missing. It's the first song in hip hop to address mental health. Right now, all these motherfuckers is crazy on mental health. You hear all these motherfuckers talking about anxiety and all this shit, and.
Speaker 2: This is the first song.
Speaker 1: See it comes across as guilty conscious for being this way, but really it's a take on anxiety back in nineteen ninety fucking one. Most people don't know Scarface wrote this song because he's been through a lot of traumatic shit. There was a time Scarface tried to kill himself and got put into a like an asylum. At least that's what I heard. Like, Scarface is a deep person, and when you border that type of deepness. I'm sure it's dangerous and it probably could be dangerous to your health and to your livelihood. So Scarface is brilliant at a cost, Like he don't go to these places for free. This shit cost him sometime before, I would imagine, because there's no way you could be that fucking deep because and not been to those places where you thought about, you.
Speaker 2: Know, ending life.
Speaker 1: Mind playing tricks on Me is just a simple old expression from Southerners, you know what I mean, when something's going on and they're like, I'm tripping. Most people don't know it was self produced. Scarface produced mind playing tricks on Me. It's another thing again, Scarface is such an underrated talent in music, and that's saying a lot of Scarf gets a lot of props, but he deserves a lot more props. Shout out to n O Joe, shout out to Mike Dean. But they will tell you that Scarface was just as vested in the production. That's why right now, when that motherfucker jump on stage to do a show, that motherfucker jump up there with a guitar and be playing that motherfucker. This song established the South in the gangster rap realm this single song to the rest of the country. I'm sure the South had more songs before this, but this was the first time to the rest of the country, the South planet their flag like, oh we hear this is the real the South got something to say moment shout out to our cast, shout out to Dre but ghetto boys. Mind Playing Tricks was the first time that the South put they motherfucking flag in the sand in the West, the Midwest, and the East collectively and said the South got something to say, and.
Speaker 2: Everybody decided to fucking listen.
Speaker 1: Kid Cuddy personally says it inspired day and Night. So just like Scarfaces, I've seen a man die, inspire Tupacs shed so many tears, mind Playing Tricks on me inspire Kid cut He's day and Night. And I really don't fuck with Cutty's music, but that's that might make me have to listen to it a lot more times because I've heard it enough times and I.
Speaker 2: Do see the correlations.
Speaker 1: But if that's true, man, shout out to Cutty, because that's ill as fuck.
Speaker 2: You flip the shit out that that's player. I fuck with that.
Speaker 1: At number four and a lot of motherfuckers it's gonna hate this. It's stand by Eminem. I mean, everybody fucking knows stand. The term stand is so popular the term may have escaped the popularity of the song because a stand is how you talk with somebody who's just stalking you. That's in addition to the culture niggas is calling each other stands, that nigga's a stand because you are a stalker or you are a groupie to something somebody else is doing. The motherfucker had a clean version to the lyrics and it still got over censored. Certain words got oversensured because that's how scared and fearful they were of what.
Speaker 2: Eminem's and fluid could be with his lyrics.
Speaker 1: It's most likely Eminem's greatest song. Eminem got number one songs. I'm sure Stan didn't chart number one, but there's probably no greater hip hop contribution than Stan. Shout out to all the rest of the dope records. But Stan is that shit, and it's self fucking produced. Nobody talks about his self produced. He did that with forty five King. Shout out to forty five King because he's another motherfucking want to do your homework on forty five King forty five, King is Crazy. Eminem mixed the song hisself. That motherfucker mixed the song himself with Dre back then he's still mix the song itself. That's pretty dope. Doctor Dre and Philip Atwell directed the video. And when I tell you they got that video right, man, I can't stress it enough. Doctor Dre is another god to me who directs music videos that don't get enough credit.
Speaker 2: Doctor Dre actually also.
Speaker 1: Directed None but the G Thing, two iconic videos standing None but the g Thing, but again Eminem at number four, you Feel Me with stan as one of the top ten greatest stories in hip hop history. Number three, we right back to the East Coast and this is the greatest story ever told from a New York MC. Just a Friend by biz Mark rest in Peace. That's right, Just a Friend by biz Mark, rest in Peace. That was one of the earliest times we learned about skeezers at a high level through hip hop.
Speaker 2: Just a Friend by biz Mark.
Speaker 1: For some reason, New York don't respect what biz Mark due as an MC. Even though his style burst old dirty bastard. His style is influential with buston rhymes. But you know again, the biasness of what you think a punchline is versus the ability to deliver a message and get it across. Biz Mark at number three with Just a Friend is the third greatest story ever in hip hop history. It's self produced with Karma. Shout out to Karas Carmen o' get no credit. Biz Mark DJ helped on it as well. I think the video was produced by Bennie Madena, who later on goes to do Fresh Prince of bel Air. I'm sure y'all heard of that show before once or twice. This is one of the earliest times someone in hip hop sang their own hook. And when everybody I heard everybody was in the studio there was like, Man, you're gonna let be a single hook on this motherfucker.
Speaker 2: He like, man, this shit feel good.
Speaker 1: Like biz is not credited with his creativity, Like I heard somebody call him a one hit wonder, and I get it because if they're talking about Billboard charts, maybe that's a conversation. But within the culture, Bier's got a few joints, vapors being another one. But again, we live in the word world, so we live in a weird world. The fucked upest part about the ideas. Biz never made a dime off the record.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if it's the sample, I'm not sure if the label's holding the asset. But Biz and the producers never made a single cent off the record sales, royalties or publishing. They had to go tour for that money, all Rob Peter biz Man. Nobody beats the biz Dog, like y'all niggas is tripping. Respect the Big, Respect the Nods, respect the Killer, ghost Face Killer, respect the Ray.
Speaker 2: But let's be for real, man.
Speaker 1: It's the fucking biz Dog, just a friend nigga like stop front like this shit ain't the one like you.
Speaker 2: I don't give a fuck.
Speaker 1: How many metaphors and similar as you put in your fucking wraps. When the message gets across, that's what this shit is about. At number two, today was a good day by ice q This is why I laugh when people tell me Big is a better storyteller than ICEQE. You can prefer big stories, you can.
Speaker 2: Say they're better. I'm not even mad at that.
Speaker 1: If you like them better, fine, But when we're talking about sheer greatness, today was a good day. It's possibly the greatest story in hip hop ever. Like, people of all ages know today was a good day. People know what happened to him when you got him on the court.
Speaker 2: When you got him on the court, it was trouble. You know what he did Right now? Motherfuckers is still debating. What's he playing a game of twenty one? I seen this shit the other day on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Mother was like, well, he got a triple double playing twenty What he just say that in the song.
Speaker 2: Diddy, I don't know shit. Old on they did Ice Cubes.
Speaker 1: I think, Get me on the court and I'm trouble last week, fuck around and got a triple double. He was a good day and everything. Get hold of there though, and everything is all right. I got a beat.
Speaker 2: From Kim and she can fuck all night haul.
Speaker 1: The homies and I'm asking y'all which point which part are y'all playing basketball? Get me on the court and I'm trouble last week? Fuck around and got a triple double. Freaking niggas every way like MJ. And he's talking about Magic Johnson nigga, now Michael Jordan, the original MJ Nigga produced by DJ Pool. So again, when I tell you, ice Cube is possibly, in arguably the greatest storyteller in hip hop. They did go right Friday, which is another ice Cube story. Then he wrote number ten on the list right, which is boys in the Hood. I'm not even talking about the fact we had to mention. He wrote check yourself, which is another story. This is how popular ice Que stories are. This story was unique for ICEQ because this is when he's finally winning. Like a lot of ice Q's music was angry and problematic because he was going through it seeing stuff in this community. He didn't like falling out with friends, getting at the points, but this one was when he finally was winning, which is the same story behind Friday.
Speaker 2: The Hood wasn't always bad.
Speaker 1: He wanted to show people that niggas still get it on and have a good time. There are bloggers who to this day research to try to figure out the day that today was a good day. They're trying to figure out the good day that this shit happened on, and they have done work. They have came up with two days, January twentieth, nineteen ninety two, or November thirty of nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 2: This is how fucking awesome.
Speaker 1: The story of today was a good day prim exactly like Big has a fantastic story.
Speaker 2: What I got his story to tell?
Speaker 1: Right And people spent a lot of time trying to figure out which one of the Knicks players wives did he sleep with or girls that he slept with, and end up.
Speaker 2: Finding out its Anthony Mason. Rest in peace to Anthony.
Speaker 1: Mason's this is not this is what's been happening with Cube the whole time. Right now, they're still telling stories saying how did he get a triple double in the Game of twenty one? Right now this is a question, So it's not just one question, it's multiple questions about this song. Fast forward to twenty fourteen. They struck a deal with Goodyear Blimp for a motherfucking a.
Speaker 2: Charity called a Place call Home that looks out for.
Speaker 1: Urban kids coming up in the streets, trying to get them a place together to chill and hang and get their shit on. And they did a deal with the good Year Blim and it read ice cubes of pimp Like that type of iconic shit don't happen from hip hop's stories.
Speaker 2: That's how iconic today was a good day.
Speaker 1: I don't give a fuck if you think the game is about punchlines as symblies and all that. The game is about motherfuckers getting the message. You could be as weirdy as you won't if motherfuckers don't get the message. And when it comes down to getting the message, today was a good day. It's probably the message that everybody understood. And it's still number two. That's the fuck that part. Even with all this discussion, it's still number two. The greatest story in the history of hip hop is Regulating. Regulate by Warren G and Nate Dog. Regulate by Warren G and Nate Dog. Everybody knows the story of regulating. Everybody we could talk about, Oh well, I feel like Warren G.
Speaker 2: You know the way he shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: They introduced Nate DOGG as a singing component that changed the face of hip hop from that point on with how we.
Speaker 2: Did records, with the singing, back and forth with the vocals.
Speaker 1: It's levels, it's self produced by Warren G. Self produced by Warren G. It launched the career of Warren G and Nate Dog. When Death Row. When Warren G couldn't get on with Death Row, he made a fucking song that was so big that he created his own lane. It turned Nate Dog from some niggas singing on hooks song Droctor Dre and Snoop album into Nate dog that we know.
Speaker 2: That's the reason we know Nate Dogg is because of.
Speaker 1: Regula at the highest level, not glasses glasses nose, motherfucking Nate Dog from all the death Row shit and all the motherfucking Doggies damn shit. But the rest of you motherfuckers know Nate Dogg because of Regulator. And I don't got to tell you it's confortble well, this is the single song that launched his career. That single song saved death Jam. Death Jam up to that point had never had a song that charted as high as Regulate.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't want to talk about commercial fuck all that, but listen to the point of this. All of those records from death Jam that go back from eighty to nineteen ninety fucking four had never been as high on the chart as Regulate. So some niggas from the West came in and saved the pride and joy of East Coast hip hop death Jam one fucking song.
Speaker 2: One fucking song.
Speaker 1: Death Row don't get enough credit because it did come out on Above the Rim soundtrack as well.
Speaker 2: And it did well. It did fucking well.
Speaker 1: Right, But this song had to be so hot that mind you, it pushed Afro Puff the number two, which is another classic hip hop song, but it had to come second to regulate, not to mention cuz it's the first single on the above the Rim soundtrack. S WV is on that soundtrack. WV was an established success. Their song is not the first single. H Town is an established success. This song is not the first single. Dog Pound is out right. They're still figuring it out right, but this is the year before the next album come out.
Speaker 2: But Warren g is in front of them with this song. Second to None.
Speaker 1: Had a hit already, but their song wasn't the first single. Pac with Thug Life had a single on here. That song wasn't motherfucking the first single.
Speaker 2: I'll be sure.
Speaker 1: Who is an established success. It's on this motherfucking project. But that song wasn't the first single.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: The first motherfucker is single was from the motherfucking from the motherfucking the bud.
Speaker 2: The Rim soundtrack. You know what I mean? Two seconds to think about it.
Speaker 1: The first single is regulating, So I don't give a fuck when you have these conversations and you start talking about your preference. Man, it's hard to have these conversations if everybody gonna talk about they prefer their preference. DUBC The Shadiest One is possibly the greatest storytelling album of all time.
Speaker 2: It's my favorite. It's one of the best ones.
Speaker 1: But I'm not gonna argue with it against certain things that have performed.
Speaker 2: At the highest level.
Speaker 1: I can tell you what I prefer Tonight by DJ Quick. It's one of my favorite stories, just like Compton by DJ Quick. It's one of my favorite stories. But I'm not gonna compare it to Beiz Marquis just a friend. I'm not gonna do that. Not when we're talking about something we can have a conversation about. I don't gotta like something because you don't have to like something to understand his greatness.
Speaker 2: This is silly.
Speaker 1: Everybody in their motherfucking mother knows today was a good day.
Speaker 2: Is it not lyrical enough for you? Like? What kind of dumb assh are you talking about? Like this shit be stupid.
Speaker 1: There's greatness and then there's not greatness. It's as simple as that greatness is. When it's quantifiable. We could talk about preference all day. I prefer this. I prefer this. That don't mean something is greater.
Speaker 2: In and out.
Speaker 1: Listen, five guys makes a better burden than McDonald's. But five guys ain't greater than McDonald's.
Speaker 2: It's just not true.
Speaker 1: Y'all gotta start having these conversations from places that exist just out of yourself. Hip hop is a representation of us. I was talking to one of my little partners, my little putner Real feel Me from out of DC, and he was like, well, you know, there's no way nobody gonna give prosecute over motherfucking Biggie. And I'm like, you don't have to take props away from Biggie to give him the cue. You can honestly just tell the truth. That don't change the fact that motherfucking Big was the guy. I'm not gonna honor the conversation of.
Speaker 2: Who's a better artist. That's just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Big didn't even have enough albums, you know what I mean for us to see his full potential. We can just enjoy what he's done. It's like arguing if bo Jackson is the greatest running back, he don't have the career enough to motherfucking quantably. You know, we can't quantify he don't have enough motherfucking seasons.
Speaker 2: You can't compare.
Speaker 1: This motherfucker to Emmy Smith. Emmis Smith carried a fucking franchise. Some of these conversations. And it ain't just about sales, It ain't just about chart positioning, but those things matter because that's how people find a song. That's how people find the song. If you have a fantastic story that only three people have heard versus somebody who has a fantastic story that thirty million people have heard, it don't matter how much you preferred the story of that three people heard. Greatness is being there's somebody at the park probably better than Michael Jordan, there's somebody probably at the park better than Lebron James.
Speaker 2: That don't change Lebron James. It's the greatest small ford in the history of basketball.
Speaker 1: I don't get how you don't get these conversations when we're talking about great things like you don't have to be skewed.
Speaker 2: It don't have to be biased.
Speaker 1: And it's weird when I hear people say that my generation or people my age can be biased. Everybody above thirty five grew up. If you in LA. You grew up off of East Coast hip hop. When you first heard hip hop, most likely it came from somebody from the East Coast. Most likely it probably was LF fucking cool JA. If you was born in eighty two, most of the hip hop you first heard was gonna be LLL fucking cool Jay, maybe run DMC. You heard jay Z as much as you heard everybody else. You heard Big as much as you heard everybody else. Because in Los Angeles they play everything. During the East Coast West Coast supposed war, they played Biggie Biggie Steel had the number one record at all the radio stations in LA. Because it was never a real ward. This is not the island, bro, this same New York. This ain't over there. They play all the shit here. We well vested in the fucking culture. We hear everything. We got out cast early first album, we got Big, first album, we got ll all the albums. One of the earliest radio stations in ll Cooch that got played on was KD. So we grow up with an understanding of hip hop that most people stuck on the island, as I say, half island fever. They don't have you guys only know what's going on on the island. You don't know what's happening off the island.
Speaker 2: You just don't know. You just don't know. And I'm not mad at.
Speaker 1: You, but you motherfuckers can't talk hip hop with the motherfuckers that grew up off the island.
Speaker 2: Because we heard it all. We heard the shit that was little in New York. Y'all don't know shit about the shadiest one shit.
Speaker 1: So it's weird when you start comparing motherfuckers with the greatest stories in the history of the genre to motherfuckers you just like, respect the big but it's just levels. Respect the nas cuz, but it's levels respect the ghost face cuz.
Speaker 2: But it's levels.
Speaker 1: When you're talking about a motherfucker that got some of the most popular stories in the history of the fucking world. It's one thing motherfucking to like, you know. It's one thing to like a rapper. It's another thing to know doctor Seuss. It's another thing. Ice Cube is the motherfucker Shakespeare is shit. This is how much motherfuckers know his stories. They gotta get y'all shipped together. Man, good looking out for tuning into the No Seller's podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, comment, and share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA and produced by my homeboys A King for the Black Effect Podcast Network and now hard Radio.
Speaker 2: Yeah.