Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Well, let's take a look at some stocks on the move today. I'm Emli GRIFFEO with Tim Stenovic, and we're joined by Bloomberg News Equities reporter Carmen Reinikey okay. Target. That was like the big the Big Earth was bonanza. Everyone was supposed to be watching it and what happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So shares of Target ticker TGT. They ended the day down six point three percent. This is the worst day since April had early tariff trough. So really wasn't even about the earnings the reason that the stock sold off so much today. So Target's been in sort of the midst of a turnaround for some time, and they are replacing their CEO in their naming their current COO, Michael Fiddlekey to succeed. And investors and analysts were clearly hoping for an outsider here. They think that someone who's, you know, an insider to the company who's been there for a long time. I think he's been there over twenty years. They think that there won't be as quick of a catalyst for change as some people were hoping. So I think that really was what drove more of the stock sell off today than the actual workings report.
Speaker 1: On his part, fiddle Key said in an internal meeting on Wednesday, shortly after he was announced as the company's next leader, quote, there are no shortage of critics out there today. The way to prove those critics wrong is with action that leads to results. He's got a tough task ahead of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he really does. And I mean we've seen a lot of I think, like CEOs being moved around this year. There was a great piece out I think today or yesterday about the price of you know, having a new CEO.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Matt Boyle and the team writing that story, I encourage you to check it out on the Bloomberg terminal and at Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 4: Something we're all watching and think thinking about a lot.
Speaker 3: Maybe he'll bring the popcorn back a target.
Speaker 1: Remember when they know I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: We didn't have this at my target.
Speaker 1: Oh really, are you sure you're talking about Target and not like the local Ace hardware store.
Speaker 3: Because that is very Connecticut. Target used to have oh, Stanford, Connecticut.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes.
Speaker 3: Sense, Like the whole Target smell like popcorn, and I don't know that was a while ago. Okay, Well, TJ Max, they don't have popworn or I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: No, we didn't have that.
Speaker 3: That was like a effect. I guess. Okay, TJ Max, take your ts JX.
Speaker 4: So the tale of two consumer stocks today. TJ Max ended the day up two point seven percent. This is the highest sense nineteen eighty probably on record for the company. Basically, they they saw that, you know, a more cautious consumer is boosting you know, sort of their their sales because they're a discount retailer. So this this company owns both TJ Max and Marshalls. They raised their fullyer earnings per share outlook and people liked it.
Speaker 3: And people are maybe going and hard hunting for bargains.
Speaker 1: Not popcorn popcorn.
Speaker 3: Maybe you can get discount of popcorn. It TJ Max.
Speaker 1: There's another company, a retailer out with earnings after the bell today. Well, I guess I can't say retailer, but retail adjacent, provider adjacent.
Speaker 4: So what we're talking about is cot tick er c o t Y shares are down twelve percent and after hours trading today, they just released their earnings report. Basically, they reported a wider than expected loss, so an adjusta lost per share of five cents, where the expectation was for a profit of over a one cent. So Cody owns like a bunch of makeup brands. So the one that I really know is Kylie Cosmetics, but then they also have a lot of sort of like luxury brands like Gucci, I think, Escada, and then some I think some more.
Speaker 3: Like cover Girl, Yeah, exact stort brands too. Yeah, so.
Speaker 4: I think what they're seeing they also actually highlighted tariffs that they're seeing a more cautious consumer. They also think are trying to sell off their high end perfume brands. So they're sort of in the middle of a lot right now.
Speaker 1: At KOT, I was in an airport last week. I don't even I took a lot of flights last week, so I don't even know which airport it was. It could have been Atlanta, could have been New York. There was a Highlie Cosmetics vending machine in the airport.
Speaker 3: I've seen photos of that. Yeah, this has actually been a thing.
Speaker 4: For a long time.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, look through my phone when I'm at the airport, purchased from one.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you do see them.
Speaker 3: I guess you're in the airport you're like, oh my god, I need a lipliner right now to get on the plane.
Speaker 4: Maybe they took it from you at you know, at the sity.
Speaker 3: They're like, I need it.
Speaker 2: The Stock Mover's report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.