Speaker 1: First impressions of the Nintendo Switch to the security camera that's as easy to install as screwing in a light bulb, The twenty second rule to avoid being scammed, plus your tech questions answered. What's going on? I'm Rich Demiro and this is rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology once again eight eight eight rich one oh one. Email is also an option. If you'd like to email me, just go to the website rich on Tech dot tv and hit contact all right. This week on the show, dear Friend of Mine joining us Brian Bishop also known as Bald Brian, is going to talk cancer, movies and his new newsletter all about helping you make the most of your streaming services by finding the best movies available. And later in the show, Andrew she Kr of the Fido Alliance will explain past keys what they are why they matter, and why they're changing the way you log in. Well, I hope you're having a fantastic week. Look what I have in my hands. Well, you can't see unless you're streaming on a the KTLA plus app. But this is it, the new Nintendo Switch. To highly anticipated release from Nintendo, eight years in the making, and yes, Nintendo sent me a review unit. I've been playing with it, my kids have been playing with it, and it's been.
Speaker 2: A long time coming.
Speaker 1: You know, the original Switch came out about eight years ago, and they did some incremental upgrades along the way, but this is a full rewriting of everything, and they just sort of upgraded all the major points on this thing.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't think you could just walk into a store and buy one just yet, so people were obviously waiting outside in line. But with a little research, I think you can track one down. And of course, they launched this thing early enough before the holidays that anyone who really wants one in time for the holidays hopefully will be able to get one. But there always seems to be this thing with these new gaming consoles where it takes a while to get it.
Speaker 2: I thought it'd be fun. We went out.
Speaker 1: You know, my day job is with KTLA TV in Los Angeles, and we went out to the Best Buy where folks were waiting in line for this.
Speaker 2: Now I've done this in the past.
Speaker 1: I used to cover this a lot, you know, coming up in the tech world, going to these midnight launches in Los Angeles that happened to be nine pm, which was kind of cool for these people. But I thought it'd be fun if we play some of the sound from some of the folks. So let's hear from little Eddie, who was excited to be out there.
Speaker 3: This actually my first time, so it's very exciting for me. I always wanted to do something like this at least once in my life.
Speaker 2: It's way better. I mean, the switch that I have is kind of owned.
Speaker 3: The battery runs out very quickly, and with this new switsh it has like a bigger screen, which compared to my tiny swish is a huge eyebreak for me.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think Eddie was one of the adults we talked to. Stanley. He was one of two adults we talked to. Stanley was a kid.
Speaker 1: Let's hear what Stanley had to say.
Speaker 4: It's been like eight years and I got my first Nintendo when I was five, so I just want to get a new one. I'm expecting the Super Mario, the Mario Kart and very new features.
Speaker 2: There you go, and Danny. Danny was a character.
Speaker 1: Danny really impressed me with some of the words that I had not heard before used in these terms.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 5: I just want to switch too. I've been here since four thirty just getting comfy.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: I don't really know.
Speaker 6: I'm just kind of here.
Speaker 5: Because I think it's cool.
Speaker 4: I'm also really excited for the games like Pokemon Legends, z A, the DLC for Sonic Shatter Generations switch to version.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be peak.
Speaker 6: I'm just really excited.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be peak. I love that it's gonna be peak. Oh my gosh. You learn something new every day.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Now, here's the other adult we talked to, Paul Atte. Let's hear what paul Atte had to say.
Speaker 7: We did it for the first one, and it wasn't hours and hours.
Speaker 5: This is the first time I do hours and hours.
Speaker 3: But I made new friends.
Speaker 7: Right hey, because I play, I play the game, and I have the first one, so the second one helps is gonna get me more things, better visuals, new games, and more ways to interact with my husband. I play, Actually, my husband and I do play a lot. We have our own computers, we have our own consoles because each one of us has a different style that we like, so we enjoy it. And we also play with friends for each of the things that we like.
Speaker 2: All right, there you have it.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is what I love about Nintendo is that it really spans a wide range of fans. It's not like some of these systems that are just sort of for like the ultimate gamers out there. Like this is like very family oriented, which I really like. And I told you that it's a little tricky to get. But I'm hearing in real time from my friend Matt Swider, he runs the shortcut dot com. He's all about how to get these things. He just texted and said, Walmart always has the best stock. They had a huge restock last night, but they sold out in thirty minutes. But they are the best place to get it online. And then some of the other people I've spoken to, you know, you can walk into a Target or another store like that they're giving out you know, like tickets when you get there and if you get a ticket, you can buy one. But of course they get a certain amount of these things every day. Let's see what else he's saying. Best buying game Stop have better in store restocks than Walmart. Target has laid shipments. Ooh ouch. So it's kind of random. So I did set this thing up and play with it, and it's it's kind of cool.
Speaker 2: So set up as simple.
Speaker 1: They've got this new dock that I think is better, way better than the old one. I had a lot of connection problems with the old dock. This one doesn't seem to have that. The magnetic controller system is so much better, so if you're not familiar with the switch in general, it's basically like a handheld gaming console with two sort of controllers that attach on the sides, but then you can detach those. I mean you could use that on the go and then you could detach those, put it into the dock, and then connect this to your TV.
Speaker 2: So it's basically a two to one device.
Speaker 1: You can play it at home on your TV, and then when you're on the go, you can just take this thing out of the dock, put the controllers on, and then there you go. The screen is much bigger, which makes the device kind of heavier in general, which will take some getting used to if you have your original version or one of the previous versions. This thing has sort of grown over time, but I still think it feels comfortable in your hands. And I was a little bit concerned about the magnetic attachment of the controllers, like when they break off or something, but no, they stay on there pretty securely, so I think the engineering marvel of how they figured out those controllers is also pretty neat in itself. Game sharing is so much better, Oh my gosh. The digital games sort of now act like virtual game cards, so it's not like the old days where the game was sort of linked to just one person. Now it's like on the device and then whoever's playing sort of gets to play that game. So I think that aspect is way easier. The software way faster, way smoother, and Nintendo has kind of kept its fun friendly interface but made it feel more modern and responsive, so I really appreciated that. Now the big feature kids and players are going nuts over is this game chat. So this lets you voice chat while you play and even share your screen with a friend, So that is a welcome addition, especially for kids who already on their iPads sort of facetiming with their friends as they play their games. So now that this is built into the Nintendo Switch, I think that's gonna help it better compete on this casual gaming market with the iPad. That feature is free through March twenty twenty six. After that, you're gonna need a Nintendo Online account. Thankfully, those are not that expensive. The other new thing is that you can plug in a USBC webcam. Doesn't have to be Nintendo's, even though they sew one. We just plugged in a random one and that worked really well. Graphics look great. You can get up to ten ADP on the handheld up to four k hdr When you dock it. The speaker sounded loud and much much louder to me and much clearer. Now the kickstand. That's a big feature of this because you can put this on a table and sort of play with the controllers in your hand. There's a lot of different ways to play this thing. I think the kickstand is a little weird. It's like it's a little flimsy when you're moving it. But the hinge is really solid, so it supports like all the angles you want. Don't think that's a deal breaker at all. But then there's a couple of games. I played, Switch Tour. It feels like it would be included because it's kind of like a tutorial about what the new switch is all about and all the new features.
Speaker 2: But they charge you ten dollars for that. Feels like it should have been free. Now. Mario Kart World is the new game. You heard the kid talk about it.
Speaker 1: That is sort of a familiar game, but they kind of built in some new I guess, some new ways to play on it.
Speaker 2: I didn't get really past.
Speaker 1: The first level just yesterday, so I didn't have too much time to play. But these games are eighty dollars now, which is wild. My favorite is that you can access all these classic Nintendo games if you have the online membership, and that's not very expensive. Again, like I said, so, I was playing Tetris from my original Game Boy like thirty plus years later, which I thought was pretty cool. And of course, one of the big games coming up is Donkey Kong Bonanza that is upcoming in the next couple of months. Here price it is kind of expensive, four to fifty for the console. If you're gonna get it, definitely try to get it bundled with that Mario Kart game.
Speaker 2: It'll save you at least thirty dollars.
Speaker 1: I do not expect price drops on this anytime soon, so if you want one before the holidays, you're probably gonna have to pay full price. The only thing we'll see is maybe some bundles at the stores that bundle in some other things, like maybe a gift card or something like that.
Speaker 2: I think the.
Speaker 1: Bottom line here, if you like the original switch, you're gonna love this one. Not necessarily something you have to upgrade to, but if you feel like you want something that's new and fresh and faster and better graphics and just overall kind of a fresh take on the switch. I do think that Nintendo did a really nice job in improving this, all right, eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I should add that my kids were very excited about this new switch, and so were their friends, so that's a really good sign. All right, coming up, we'll take some of your calls and I'll tell you about the light bulb security camera that's so easy to install.
Speaker 2: Anyone should be.
Speaker 1: Able to do it. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple Late rich one on one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I should clarify because I mentioned earlier that you can see me holding the switch, and I said, if you're watching on the KTLA plus app, we don't stream the show on the app, but you can watch it after the fact. So we put the first ten minutes of the show of the radio show on TV so you can watch it and enjoy and it's sort of like the first ten minutes and it's part of my larger show.
Speaker 2: I have streaming which is called rich on Tech Weekly.
Speaker 1: So if you want to check it out anywhere you live, you can download the free KTLA plus app.
Speaker 2: Look for rich on Tech Weekly. It is on there and that's what it is.
Speaker 1: So getting more information from my pal Matt Swider about the Nintendo switch too. He's saying it's easy to get in the Midwest. In quotes, Texas stores have them sitting on shelves, but major metro areas are sold out completely. Definitely not as hard to get as a PlayStation five. But we're not at the point where you can just walk into a Best Buy and get one. And then he has his I ate his tip from his newsletter The shortcut dot com as our switch to restock notifications can attest. There's much more inventory of the console bundle than the standalone version. Some people assume that the four hundred and fifty dollars console will be easier to get because it's less popular, but they didn't account for the lack of inventory.
Speaker 2: So there you have it.
Speaker 1: I think that this is probably going to be easier to get throughout the year than the PlayStation five was. But remember did in that launch during the pandemic. So did the Xbox the New Xbox, so you know those were that was a different time for sure. Let's go to Jim in British Columbia gym.
Speaker 2: You're on with Rich.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Hey, Rich, Yeah, I got a message a couple of days ago from it appeared to be from Amazon. Now. I just tried to send you a copy of it on Rich on tach dot tv and it said it's an invalid email address.
Speaker 9: I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, we're gonna have to look into that.
Speaker 1: I'm getting a lot of emails from people, so I don't know what the email address was, what the problem was.
Speaker 2: Let me see.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's rich on tech dot TV. Yes, and it's feed bag it rich on email address.
Speaker 1: Feed anyway, feedbag it rich on tech dot TV. That's the email, not feedback I got.
Speaker 8: I get this message and it says that Amazon has got a whole whack of these palettes which are in the picture. They appear to be about three or four feet tall. I mean they're huge, and they're twenty nine dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, that's yeah.
Speaker 8: They're selling them for two weeks. And uh, I'm just wondering if it's for real, because you know, it had had some the.
Speaker 10: Message really, I mean, it was beautiful.
Speaker 8: If it's a scam, those guys are really getting good.
Speaker 9: Wow.
Speaker 2: Well let's see.
Speaker 1: So, uh, I feel like Jim, because you're calling me you have an inkling that this might.
Speaker 2: Be too good to be true. Yeah, yeah, and so what so.
Speaker 1: The the the idea here is and I've not seen one of these ads.
Speaker 2: I've heard of this before. I've heard of you know, various things.
Speaker 1: This sort of plays au pron those TV shows where people go into like the abandoned storage facilities and like get stuff and like find treasure and all that stuff. That's kind of what this sounds like to me. But I'm going to say that it is probably very unlikely that you're finding a legitimate Amazon liquidation palette for thirty bucks. I just don't think that's possible. It's funny you say this because right before the show, I returned a whole bunch of stuff to Amazon at the Amazon Store, and I watched. You know, the return policy, or the return sort of process is very easy at the Amazon Store. You give it to them, they scan a bar they paste a bar code on the item, they scan it, they scan the bar code from your email, and off you go. And then they take the item. They just toss it into a giant box. And I was looking at the address on the box, and they basically send it to an Amazon warehouse in like Las Vegas, or probably a local one, whatever's closest to you, and then someone goes through that whole thing. So typically the products that you return to Amazon go to a couple places. They'll either put them back on Amazon as a used item. If there's nothing wrong with it, they'll send it back to the manufacturer if there's like a problem or an issue or some sort of defect, or they might just destroy it if it's not really worth any of that stuff. And I've also heard of situations where Amazon will just say just keep it, you know, it's not.
Speaker 2: Worth our time.
Speaker 1: Although I feel like they're doing that less because people got hipped to that and just started returning stuff and got to keep it for free and got the credit. But typically an Amazon return palette, just looking up online here might cost anywhere between one hundred and ten thousand dollars with all of this stuff that's on the palette. And there are social media platforms, especially Facebook, that have these scam listings that promise these unrealistically low prices, and often this turns out to be fraudulent. So it, you know, twenty nine dollars to you, Jim, not a big deal. But if they're scamming a couple of people every day selling twenty nine dollars and never delivering on the goods, not a bad business to be in until you get caught, or until you get banned, or until someone gets hipped to it. So I would not buy the Amazon pallet for twenty nine dollars just to ship you. Let's just think about the math here, just to ship you a twenty nine dollars pallet. There's no way that that works out in anyone's favor. So I'm gonna call this a big and we're not doing this. Thanks for the call, Jim, do appreciate it. Eight eight eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 2: Coming up, we'll take some more of your calls. I check the email.
Speaker 1: It is working. It is feedback at Richontech dot TV. And coming up, I'll tell you about this new light bulb security camera. I think it's pretty cool. If you can screw in a light bulb, you can have.
Speaker 2: A security camera.
Speaker 1: My name is rich Demiro. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Let's go to Drew in Costa Mesa.
Speaker 2: Drew, you're on with Rich Pray.
Speaker 9: Rich.
Speaker 11: I got an Epston copier et point seven twenty and uh, I don't use it often. So every time I've had to use it, you know, I have to go through the maintenance, cleaning the heads and everything. But now it's after the last time I did that, it still won't work. I called the guy and he said, it's cheaper to buy a new one than it is to fix it. Yes, asking you if you can recommend a copier for somebody like me who doesn't use it that much.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, easy, easy, easy choice.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: The I had this printer for I think over ten years and it was fantastic, and my kids convinced me to upgrade to an HP color laser jet all in one you know thing, and it's been nothing but trouble. I'm talking, you know, just the amount I'm spending on inc I broke the duplexer. I can't figure out how to scan on this thing. It's just all a nightmare. And I told my kids again this morning, I said, can I please downgrade to the Brother? Well, I just gave it away, but this is the one you want. You want the Brother, You want a Brother laser printer. And it's simple, it's easy. They have a bunch of models. The one that I'd recommend for you is the DCP L two six forty DW You don't have to write that down, I'll put it in the show notes. Rich on tech dot TV. This is episode one four, but that's the one I recommend. One hundred and ninety nine dollars and it's got the you said you wanted the printer and the copier, so it's got all that built in. I might just buy this for myself right now. If I had a place to put this in my house, I would. This would be on my doorstep by tomorrow. But I had this printer, the smaller version of it, just I didn't have the copier part of it, but I had the smaller one, Like I said, for about ten years, never had a single problem. The most annoying thing was just a couple of times you had to buy the ink or the toner rather, which you know lasts pretty long if you get the Excel one. But in general, yeah, printers are are pretty much the razor Blade model Drew, where you buy the printer for really cheap, and then you got to buy the ink, which is typically pretty expensive. So I always recommend looking at the price of the ink before you actually purchase this thing. Now, this one replacement toner, if you get the Excel one, which i'd recommend, is going to cost you eighty five bucks. So the machine itself is two hundred, the toner is eighty five, But that's going to be. You know, that's going to give you a lot if your only this is up to three thousand pages, so you may just want to you know, the one that comes with it may last you for a while, even though I think it's probably like a starter thing. But that's the one i'd recommend. Very simple, very easy again. It's the Brother DCP L two six four zero DW. It's a black and white laser printer copy scan duplex. All the good stuff you need. Two hundred dollars. You might even wait to see if it goes on sale. Let's let's cross reference this. I'm gonna go to Camelcammelcammel dot com. I'm gonna pop in the Amazon URL and yeah, no, this thing does not go on sale, so I just buy it today. You can use a website like a shop back if you want to buy it from a store that might have.
Speaker 2: Let's see if they have any good deals right now. Let's see here.
Speaker 1: You might be able to stack it if you go to like some of these brands, they have deals on Yeah, I get five dollars when you spend fifty on Amazon, so there's another five dollars you can save. Shopback dot com great question, Drew, Thanks for the call today, do appreciate it. I told you about this light bulb that Wise has launched. Now, why's this is a company that when they came out with a twenty dollars security camera back in the day this might have been I don't know, twenty eighteen or something like that, people went bananas over it because it's twenty dollars. Whoever heard of a security camera for twenty dollars. So now they've come out with things over the years, and I've talked to the people at this company. It's a lot of like ex Amazon folks, a lot of smart people, and they make just great stuff at great prices. Now, yes, before you say, rich, didn't they have that security lapse?
Speaker 9: Rich?
Speaker 1: Don't they have issues with their privacy and security? Yes, they've had some issues in the past, and I would call them growing pains. I think they've fixed all of those issues. They made people lock down their accounts with two factor authentication. I have no problem recommending the security cameras from this company. So they came out with a new Wise BULBCAM and what's cool about it is it's it looks like a light bulb with the security camera on the top. So if you have a light fixture that you want to put a security camera in, you can do it.
Speaker 2: You just screw in the light bulb and the security camera's there. So obviously it has.
Speaker 1: To be a place where you can have an open sort of area, like if it, say, a fixture, has to either be open on the top or the bottom. For this thing to have, the cameras kind of stick out because it's can be longer than your typical light bulb. But great for garages, porches, anywhere you don't have an outlet, anywhere you don't want to deal with wires or solar Now, I've not tested this personally just yet, but i have no reason to believe. It looks like a wisecam is just attached to a light bulb. And I've got wisecams. I've been using them since day one in my home and they are fantastic because they do exactly what you need to do. This one's got two k HD video, it's got color, night vision, one hundred and sixty degrees field of view, two A audio. Now, the camera is adjustable, so you can kind of tilt it, rotate it, extend it up or down, to get the angle that you want. The light bulb is dimmable. It can be grouped with other wise bulbs, which is really cool. So the bulbcam itself with the security cameras fifty dollars. Then you can buy other light bulbs for about twenty dollars and you can group it with up to five other bulbs. So let's say you had a whole bunch of light fixtures surrounding your home. You can put the security camera bulb in one and then the five other camera light bulbs in the others, and when the security camera senses motion, it will turn on all the other lights at the same time, which is just really cool.
Speaker 2: It also records locally to an SD card.
Speaker 1: Now, if you're worried about someone jacking the camera and taking that, of course they would have all the video as well, so that doesn't require a subscription. But if you want the stuff to go into the cloud, you'd have to pay something like three dollars a month. But it's very easy to set up if it's just like any of the other wise cameras. I see these things as sort of like just workhorses. You set them up once and they kind of just work. For a long time. So again, the bulb cam is fifty dollars. The additional bulbs are seventeen dollars. They're available now at wys dot com. Last I checked, of course, because this thing is let's say, I'm gonna type in wise bulb. You know how tough it is to type while you're on the radio. It is really impossible. But I so let's see. If you get the bulb. It's forty nine to ninety eight ships in one to two weeks, so that's not too bad. And then you can get the you know, the bundle is sixty five dollars. If you want to get one extra bulb plus the security camera, two extra bulbs, you can get a deal whatever.
Speaker 2: Wys dot com.
Speaker 1: They also typically sell their stuff on Amazon, but it's not usually they wait a bit because it's pretty hot at the beginning, so you probably can't find this on Amazon yet. And what I like about this is that I already know people are buying these light bulb security cameras on Amazon.
Speaker 2: Don't do it.
Speaker 1: They're junk. You don't know if they're good or not. They're coming from a no name company. You don't know what the security is like. Talk about a security nightmare. You don't want to get those things, and I know people are buying them because I got questions about them all the time my email. This is a much safer bet and it's not much more expensive. Yeah, it's maybe ten dollars twenty dollars more than these cheapeas I'm seeing on Amazon, but those are going to be all over the The only thing to know about the Wise camera is that it only works with two point four gigahertz. So if you've had problems in the past with your router and linking up those types of devices, you could have a problem with this. But most modern routers have a way to do that. Okay, So that's that. I'll put the link on the website rich on tech dot tv. By the way, if you want any information on the stuff that I talk about, it's all on the website rich on tech dot TV. I take really good show notes, so whether someone asked a question like we had Drew asking about the printer, that will all be on the website the show notes. This is episode one four. You can type in on the top of the website. You've got TV where you can watch my TV segments. Newsletter if you want to subserve. Oh, by the way, fifty thousand of you on the newsletter. We need the applause. There we go, fifty thousand of you.
Speaker 2: That is just unbelievable and unbelievable number.
Speaker 1: When I started that newsletter, I think I had, well, probably zero, but you know a couple of people from my book that sort of carried over. But to just grow that much, it just shows that I think we're sharing really good.
Speaker 2: I say we.
Speaker 9: It is me.
Speaker 1: I'm writing the newsletter. It's all me, so there's not like you know, although I will tell you this is this is why I remain humble.
Speaker 2: Adam. Adam's filling in for Bobo today.
Speaker 1: My wife is sitting across the table for me at breakfast reading my newsletter and she's like, oh wow, this gets really long. I was like, thanks, honey, thank you for the kind words about the newsletter. Everyone else emails me Rich, I love the newsletter. I love how much how many tips.
Speaker 2: You've given it? My wife keeping it real. I love you, babe, all right?
Speaker 1: Rich on tech Dot TV eighty eight Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up. The twenty second rule to avoid scams, plus more of your calls.
Speaker 2: Right here, I'm rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Let's go to Spencer in Charlotte, North Carolina. Spencer, you've got an update on I guess some advice I gave you.
Speaker 10: Yes, converting Windows ten to Windows eleven. Uh, if you have a compatible motherboard that thinks that it is ready for Windows eleven and you keep getting errors on your uh stuff that tells you whether you can go or not?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like if you can actually upgrade? Yeah, yeah, Uh.
Speaker 10: The problem the problem is with secure boot.
Speaker 2: Yes, and uh, all.
Speaker 10: These people that are sneaking around ah to convert their systems without doing all this stuff, We're going to get into trouble eventually. But the way to convert your hard drive. UH to do this is, uh, you have to convert U E F I to secure boot, and UH you have to turn off the compatibility support module which allows you to use older biosystems.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I think were you were you listening last week?
Speaker 1: I think our guest was talking about that he was ed bought the Windows security or the Windows guy. I think he was mentioning something about that that you got to basically disable something. But this is this is kind of advanced, right a little bit.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but if you don't do this conversion, you'll never get Windows eleven.
Speaker 2: To work, right, right, So you did this.
Speaker 10: First, Yeah, yeah, my system turned out great. What you do first is back up all your data and then you test that backup to make sure it works. And then you open a command prop with admin access and you use this command. Now, I'm going to read it and read it slow so you can get it. The command is m b R numeric two g p T, and what that stands for is m b R is a master boot record, and secure boot does not look at master boot records. And the n b R numeric to g p T. What GPT is is a q I D partition table, which allows you to have up to one hundred and twenty eight partitions on a single disc, whereas NBR would only allow four. So you do the n b R numeric two g p T dot e x E space forward slash, convert space forward slash allow full o S. That's a l l O w f U.
Speaker 11: L l O s.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 10: You fire that command off and it will convert your drive to GPT and if everything does well, you uh reboot the computer, go into your bios, turn off CMS like CSM, and then reboot and it should should work like a charm.
Speaker 2: Wow, well sounds easy.
Speaker 10: And then and then all you got to do is load Windows eleven.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, now I don't know if we have time to learn how to load with is love. But so you did this, and so your computer was giving you a message that said you can't get Windows eleven because of the way it boots up, and that that secure chip or whatever they you know, the new computers basically have like added security at the boot level, and that's really what Windows wants moving forward for security and all these different things. But if you're sort of smart and savvy, which you seem to be, you can get around that. If you know what you're doing. I wouldn't reckon the average person to do this. There's a reason why Windows are sort of stopping that. But there there's also a reason why they're allowing it for people that sort of know what they're doing, like yourself.
Speaker 2: Would you agree with that.
Speaker 10: Well, this is actually doing what WIN does want you to do. Win does does not want you to do master boot record anymore? When does want you to do the guid petition table, which is, let's see GUID stands for Global Unique Identifiers to identify partitions. And like I said, NBR would only support four petitions, whereas GPT can support up to one hundred and twenty eight on a single disc.
Speaker 1: Is there a good tutorial online that I can link up to that sort of encompasses everything you just said? Or am I going to have to just find just transcribe what you just said and put it in the show notes?
Speaker 10: Well, you can look up GPT format and get some information, and then you can look up CXM mode and get some information. Between those two kinds of lookups, it will eventually get you around to those commands and how to do the conversion.
Speaker 1: All right, I love it, Well, thank you, Spencer, appreciate that. That's uh, you know, it's a little bit more advanced, I think than a lot of people you know that that are just sort of casual users are in for. But if you've been trying to update to Windows eleven, we know that deadline is coming up. I believe it's in October, So you know a lot of people have been wondering about this, and that's why we had the guest last week sort of talk about what the options are. But the whole thing is that, you know, this idea of Windows eleven wants your computer to boot up in a very secure way. And so the thing is that Windows when they check your computer see if it's if it's available to go to Windows eleven, they check for this thing called secure boot, and so that's why it sort of gives you the message that your computer can't be updated if it doesn't immediately find that. What Spencer's saying is that you can sort of toggle some things and get it to go and make your computer ready to update. So good call there. Appreciate the call. Spencer from Charlotte, North Carolina. I thought this was interesting. The twenty second rule to avoid scams. So we've actually had representative from NOB four on our on our show before, but he says two things can stop ninety nine point nine percent of scams before they start. If you get a message and it's unexpected and it asks you to do something new, that's it.
Speaker 2: It's all you need to know.
Speaker 1: You get a message, whether it's on email, tech, social media, phone, or in person, if it's unexpected and it asks you to do something new, slow down and verify, and that's it. That's the bottom line. Can stop ninety nine percent of scams before they start. This is rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Lots to celebrate this week, the rich on Tech newsletter has hit fifty thousand followers, so thank you for doing that. And then of course we've got this little uh Nintendo switch to happening.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people, you know.
Speaker 1: It came out Thursday, so I bet Friday was a very unproductive day in the office for people who purchased that thing. Midnight launch over on the East coast, nine pm launch on the West coast. And then of course when you get these things, you want to play them. I remember so many times over the years getting I mean I get, you know, every gadget at this point sent to me. At this point, there's like a there's too many. I don't even have the time to go, you know, to go through all of them. But you know, before I did this I would go out and I'd go to Best Buy on Black Friday and I'd sit out there and i'd wait for things and i'd get stuff, and you know, it's fun, it's exciting. If you've never done that, I get it. With the whole online stuff is a little bit different in pre orders and.
Speaker 2: Things, but it's still just fun.
Speaker 1: It's more the camaraderie you have with all the people around you, and it's like you're there. There are so many things that are fragmented in our world these days. You know, everyone's watching a different show, everyone's on a different path, whatever.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's like having these shared experiences.
Speaker 1: Why do you think people have so much fun at a ballgame or like, you know, a vacation or you know, I don't know, riding the bus to work. Whatever it is, it's that shared experience that brings us together, Like me and Adam when we get together and here, you know, when Bobo's gone this, Adam's in for Bobo today.
Speaker 2: So thank you for that, Adam. Uh eighty to eight.
Speaker 1: Rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one Coming up this hour, We're gonna have one of my dear friends on the show, Brian Bishop Baal Brian. He's got a new newsletter that's all about making the most of your streaming services.
Speaker 2: He's got these great picks each week that.
Speaker 1: Tell you, you know, what you can watch that is included in the services you're probably already paying for.
Speaker 2: So we'll have him in just a bit. For now, let's go to let's see here line three.
Speaker 1: Is it Margie in Fortune in California?
Speaker 12: Yeah, Hi, Hi, how are you?
Speaker 1: I am doing fantastic, Welcome to the show, Thank you so much.
Speaker 12: I was wondering, is there any kind of a program out there that could help kind of create a basic first draft screenplay of some ideas that you might have.
Speaker 2: Hmm, good question.
Speaker 1: I mean I think all of the you know, all of the standard AIS can write, it can help you write.
Speaker 2: Have you tried any of those or.
Speaker 12: No, no, I really haven't. I was trying to find something that encompassed all of it, that would lay out the structure of the format, you know, just a basic first draft.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm looking at some ideas.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously CHATCHYBT can easily you know, if you ask it to help you with a screenplay, it can do it. So that's number one. Then you've got Claude, which I think is actually probably a little bit better at writing. So if you haven't tried Claude, I'd go with that one first because CHATCHYBT is sort of like a jack of all trades. It can do everything. It does everything you know that you can think of. But I think Claude has a little bit better command of the English language, So I try that if you're just gonna use an off the shelf kind of thing. Now, when it comes to specialized tools, there are many out there, and I think this is kind of a hot topic in you know, the the Hollywood sort of world, because you know, AI is is this force to be reckoned with because it can do things like write an entire movie if you wanted it to. I'm looking at this one called NOLANAI dot app. So this is one that sort of works does everything, So it does covering the full film production process from concept creation to screenwriting to planning and stage production. So that can kind of write and do everything you need to do. That's Nolan AI dot app. Let's see here. I mean this one is like this one's called AI Screenwriter. I mean, who thought of that title. Wow, that's really very unique. I want that one writing my AI screenplay. This one was built by film industry insiders. This industry secret will set your creativity free. Yeah, because everyone at the Academy Wards is saying their industry secret is using AI to write a screenplay. Now here's the thing, Margie, I think that you know, using AI is great, I think as a collaborator, but I think if you're just gonna use it to write the whole thing, it's just, you know, you gotta have that human touch, you know, you got to have that human kind of like the way I write my newsletter is I write it and then I'll use AI to sort of polish it. So it's still very very much me. But I'm not having it. You know, you could you could literally, and I know there's people that do this. You could literally have AI write entire blog posts for you. Like you could just say, Hey, write me a whole blog post on the dangers of clicking random links in texts that you get and I'll just write a whole blog post. And some people do that and they put on the web and they call that slop AI slop. It's basically just stuff that like it's just regurgitated kind of stuff from all over the web that it's finding and putting together, and it just doesn't have that human feel to it. Now, yeah, it's pretty good, but I think that the human aspect of writing and then polishing is probably better. But this AI screenwriter aiscreenwriter dot com. That's interesting. And then let's see this one. Oh wow, Deep Story. Let's see what deep story is all about. Oh, deep Story the best free AI scriptwriter and story generator. So again, I mean it's like if you're having someone come up with your whole story too. I'm a little concerned about that. So the deep story servers are currently undergoing maintenance. Please refresh your browser or try again. That's not really a good sign. But look at this. You can try out a minimal version of deep Story AI right here on the web page. Look at that Oscar winning sample. You don't even have to look. You could get an Oscar winning sample right away. You can do let's see super Bad Goodwill hunting. It's actually pretty cool. Tells you the action, the character of the dialogue. You know, I did write a screenplay one time in my life. I will not forget this. It's actually quite good. I was in college and I had an idea for a screenplay, and I'm not kidding. I locked myself in a room for an entire weekend and I wrote the entire screenplay from start to finish, and it's still really good. I'd probably have to update it, and now that again is something that I might use AI to update, right, And you can't just like feed the whole thing in there and expect it to come out perfectly. But it's one of the things where you start with something and AI is a really good assistant, so that's the way I'd go for it. I gave you a couple of solutions there, Claude Nolan, what was the other one? AI screenwriter and deepstory Dot AI and of course chat GBT is always there as well. So good luck with the screenplay. I hope you uh. I hope to see you on the stage the Academy Awards in a couple of years. Maybe we'll both be up there.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 1: My kids keep saying, Dad, I want you dust off your screenplay. I got an agent, I'm not kidding for this screenplay, and like I sent it out to a couple of people, I got like a couple calls immediately and then they're like, wait, how young are you?
Speaker 2: What do you doing?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 2: And nothing ever came of it, But anyway, good question eight.
Speaker 1: A eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. AT and T has a new discount plan for seniors. This is the AT and T fifty five plus Plan. So this offers unlimited talk, text, and data for just forty dollars a month. Now, this used to be only available in Florida, and it's interesting. I didn't realize this, but I was when I was reading about this plan. I guess AT and T, I guess there's a lot of I know there's a lot of seniors in Florida, but I guess Verizon and AT and T only had their senior plans available with a Florida address. And I think with T Mobile making their Senior plan nationwide, AT and T, I guess just had too many people switching. And so they said, all right, fine, we'll open this up to everyone. So now this applies to anyone that's fifty five and up anywhere in the US, and it's forty dollars a month for unlimited everything. And you might say, rich aren't there other services out there that you can get forty dollars a month for everything? Yes, but this is AT and T and you can bundle it with some other stuff as well in the future, and so it's not a bad value. Two lines bring it down to thirty five dollars per line, which makes it sort of competitive with Mint and T Mobile. It includes ten gigs of hot Spot data, five g access let's see spam blocking. You're not going to get any like Netflix or anything included, but you know, there you go. So the previous AT and T senior plan in Florida was sixty two dollars, so this is even cheaper than it was. Now you will have to verify your age with ID and you know, maybe this will put some pressure on Verizon to open up their senior plan to other states as well. T Mobile already has theirs. Let's see how much is their's T mobile fifty five plan.
Speaker 2: I think it's actually more expensive than this.
Speaker 1: So fifty five plus on T Mobile is forty five dollars a month, So there you go. So AT and T kind of coming in strong with this new plan. And by the way, I got an email from let's see it was it Bruce. I got an email from Bruce that said, Rich, thanks for putting this new plan in your newsletter. You're saving me thirty dollars a month on my combined landline bill. Yeah, I listen. This is why I listen to your valuable radio show. It's like immersion language training for tech. Eventually, I'll probably switch my other lines anyway, there you go, might save you some cash.
Speaker 2: I'll put the link on the website. Rich on tech dot TV.
Speaker 1: Eight eight eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'll tell you about my favorite app on the iPhone that you can finally use. I was testing it in beta. It's available for everyone. Now that's coming up right here. I'm Rich on Tech Cheryl in Glendora, Cheryl your own with Rich.
Speaker 13: Hi, Rich, How are you doing today?
Speaker 1: Oh I'm doing fantastic. Thanks for asking. Welcome to the show. Thank you.
Speaker 14: Thursday morning. I believe it was on the Early Show with and Kirk and Megan.
Speaker 2: Thanks you great folks. Great group of folks, by the way, they are.
Speaker 13: That's phenomenal.
Speaker 9: Ye.
Speaker 14: Yes, so you addressed the iPhone that some of them that email was working on and off, and I was leondering if you had any update when I iPhone has been a correct app turned updates.
Speaker 2: Ah, good question. Uh, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: So this is the beauty of having a bunch of people that email me when there's something going on. Because I got the first email about this the mail app on iOS eighteen point five when people updated there was like problems and I got the first email about it. Someone said, hey, if you heard any issues about this? Said no, I'd never heard anything. All of a sudden, about an hour later, I get another email, Hey, I'm having issues with the mail app on my iPhone.
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: And I said, uh, And when I get two emails in a row, then I know something's going on. And then I get three and four and five, and then people say on Twitter, yes I'm having the same problem. I mean, I tweeted this and I couldn't believe how many people were saying that they had problems with their mail app. And so yeah, basically what we know right now is that users are reporting the mail app on the iPhone is opening to a white screen, then freezing or crashing, and it seems linked to iOS eighteen point five, which is interesting because I feel like that came out a while ago. So Apple has not acknowledged any issue with this whatsoever just yet. People have tried restarting their phone, which might work for a little bit, deleting the app, reinstalling it. Some people even say turning off auto correct might work. But all of these are temporary. Most users do see the issues returning, and the bug seems to be widespread, so I am assuming that Apple is working on a fix behind the scenes. The thing is for Apple to update this usually takes a software update, like they have to do in iOS eighteen point five point one or something like that, so hopefully we'll see that soon. But yeah, the responses on this, a lot of people had issues with this, So.
Speaker 2: Just hang tight.
Speaker 1: I know it's annoying in the In the meantime, you know, if you're using something like a Gmail or a Yahoo, you could download the Gmail or Yahoo app, you know, you can download their mail app and then that way you have direct access to the mail and you don't have to deal with the Apple built in mail app. So that's what's happening, Cheryl. Let's hope it gets fixed soon. Apple has a big event coming up this week so I'm sure they're they're very busy. We're getting prepared for that. But I know they know about these issues. You know, Apple's the kind of company that doesn't really they don't really acknowledge things in public. They don't say, hey, we know there's a big problem with the mail app and we're working on it.
Speaker 2: They don't really do that.
Speaker 1: They will just come out with an update to iOS and they will just say bug fixes and improvements. And if they want to say that there is, like, you know, they're specifically fixed an issue with the mail app, they might say it. But again, if you want to check, you have to go into software our general software update, and right now it's iOS eighteen point five five. iOS is up to date. There is nothing new to report there, just yet. Appreciate the call, Cheryl eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four ones around. Oh, Erica, hold on, we got more about this. We got Erica, Erica and Temecula. You have the male issue as well. Oh, I guess Erica got cold feet. She she didn't want to talk on the air. Okay, the other thing I want to tell you about this is actually a great app to download to your iPhone. It's called whisper Flow wispr Flow. This is a great dictation app for iPhone and uh your desktop. Now I've been talking about this if you listen to this show, you know I've been talking about this in the past.
Speaker 2: So it was available for Mac first.
Speaker 1: Then it came to Windows, then it came to iPhone in beta, which I've been testing for the past couple of months. Now it's available for iPhone for everyone. So if you want to dictate stuff into your phone and have it perfectly format and really fast, this is incredible. I just absolutely love this app and I use it every day and again it's called whisper Flow. The base, the base functionality is free. If you use it a ton, you're gonna have to pay, but right now it is free, So I'll put a link on the website. Rich on tech dot TV. I'm getting a lot of emails back from folks who have downloaded this and they're all saying, yes, they absolutely love it. So that's a good thing. All right, Before hang on, we got our let's see here. We got our guests coming up. Bald Brian Brian Bishop. He is going to talk about this newsletter that he does and give you some of his backstory that's quite interesting. But this week on TV I featured these apps that help you sort of keep a watch list of the things that you want to stream next. So I'll tell you about a couple of these and then tell you which one I've been using. But first off is kernel K E R and E L like popcorn Kernel. This is only for the iPhone. But what's neat about this is that it's very simple. It gets you right to the movies you want to stream, but you can make multiple lists. So I think that's what people like about this is that if you want certain movies to watch with your kids, or certain movies to watch with your wife or your husband, whatever, you can make multiple lists. And I think that's what's cool about that one. Showly, this one is great overall. It just has a lot of good information. I think the streaming links are a little annoying, but they've got a ton of information on this app called Showly. Then you've got an app called Real Good ore E E L Good.
Speaker 2: This is probably one of the best apps out there.
Speaker 1: It supports nearly every major streaming service, you pick the ones that you have. It only shows you the stuff that's on those which is really nice. It's got sort of a blended rating system, so it uses its own proprietary ratings, but that one's good. And then the one I've been using is called just Watch. And what I like about this is that it gives you direct links to the movies right on. Your services got a million ways to sort of filter the movies you want to watch. The only one filter that I want that us money is the one that filters by runtime. Sometimes I only have ninety minutes to watch a movie and I want to see all my shortest movies in order, but that requires a paid upgrade. The other one that people like is called letterboxed L E T T E R B O x D. This is very minimalistic, but is what all the kids are using. So there you go.
Speaker 2: I'll link them all up on the website.
Speaker 1: Rich on tech dot TV more movie talk coming up next with Bald Brian Brian Bishop. Right here, I'm rich on tech. We were just talking about movie tracking apps. You know this idea of I always want to go to the movie theater, but of course time I can't. So every movie that comes out like add to my list and it just continues to grow. Of all these movies I want to see here to talk about. He's come out with like a great newsletter he has. He's my friend, Brian Bishop. Okay, bald Brian. If you've ever heard him on the radio. He basically asked me to lunch a couple of months ago and said, hey, Rich, I know you do a newsletter. I might start one. I said absolutely, It's the best thing I've ever done. And he's like, I might talk about movies. I said, do it. And he has come out with this newsletter and it is fantastic, great, great recommendations on streaming services and the stuff that's in the theaters.
Speaker 2: Brian Bishop, welcome to the show.
Speaker 15: Oh thanks, Rich story you called me in the middle of enjoying my favorite newsletter. They're rich on Tech newsletter that just came out this morning. Very informative, very entertaining.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're my wife, she said, Rich, you know your newsletter's a little long.
Speaker 5: You know what, That's what I love about it. It's it's a verbose.
Speaker 9: It is.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing.
Speaker 1: You know, some people pay like they upgrade to pay, and I'm like, I want to give everyone their Money's worth, even the people that are you know, everyone gets it for free and it's the same whether you pay or not. But you know, it's just I feel like I want to give people their value.
Speaker 15: Well, here's as long as we're talking about movies. People you know, complained about long movies. There's no such thing as a good movie that's too long. Like a good movie you want to keep going on.
Speaker 5: And on and on.
Speaker 15: Now, there are plenty of bad movies that are too long, whether they actually are long movies three hours or yeah, if they're long in an hour and forty five minutes, like the length is as long as it needs to be, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well, and some of them, okay, so I will This is a great example. I don't know if you remember this. I'm sure you do.
Speaker 1: The movie The Irishman, sure, okay, Now I know it got mixed reviews. I personally loved it, like I loved every second of that movie.
Speaker 5: And it was up for Best Picture.
Speaker 2: It was oh well, okay, well I thought I was the only one that liked it.
Speaker 15: But anyway, but you know what there was there was a little bit of a pushback, but go on, three hours, twenty nine minutes and I'm not kidding.
Speaker 2: When that thing ended, I was still wanting more.
Speaker 1: And I guess that goes to show that like, if you like it, you're gonna want more of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly for me.
Speaker 15: Maybe that's The Godfather where it's over three hours long, but I am never I've seen that movie ten twelve times.
Speaker 5: I've never been like, that's a little lone.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're talking to Brian Bishop bald Brian.
Speaker 2: We have a history.
Speaker 1: We went to school together and we've been friends ever since. For better or for worse, I guess checkered past. He obviously was on radio for many years with Adam Carolla. He does his own podcast now called The Film Vault. He just started a newsletter called The Baldywood Newsletter on substack, so definitely subscribe to it on Instagram at bald Brian. So, Brian, first off, I know you had a long history in radio, but then you got cancer at some point during that time.
Speaker 2: You've talked about your journey. How are you doing right now?
Speaker 5: It's still a.
Speaker 15: Personal rich I was ready to talk about movies, but I guess I guess we can change it up a little bit. No, I was diagnosed at age thirty, right in between when the Adam Crawler radio show ended and the Adam Kraler podcast began, and was writing that nestle in nuts spot and yeah, I was two months out of our away from our wedding with my fiance now wife. I'm glad to say that was two thousand and nine when I was given six months to live, and spoiler alert, I'm still here doing well. Thank you for asking. I don't know if you after or not, but thank you for I assume you're curious. But yeah, it's been just past sixteen years of diagnosis and it's been awful at times that you've seen personally you and your wife and your family, but also it's given me some opportunities do some pretty amazing things. So it's been a real double edged sort of real journey. But glad to be here.
Speaker 1: It's all been living for this moment, and I've seen Brian on the ups and the downs. I would say, at this point you're at your best you've been in a long time, so I really appreciate that.
Speaker 15: It's scary to say this is about as good as yets, but this is this is this is my peak.
Speaker 2: Now you've been open about your journey.
Speaker 1: I know, so people I'm sure ask you, like, are there any movies that really portray illness or recovery that you recommend?
Speaker 2: Is there anything that you like?
Speaker 15: No, this is the first time I've ever talked about it. One of the best movies just movies. Just a great movie I've seen in the last ten years, and a movie that really is insightful as it pertains to a cancer journey is fifty to fifty, the movie with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Seth Rogen and Kendrick.
Speaker 5: Just a great movie.
Speaker 15: On his face, it's kind of like sixth sense, not like this sixth sense, but in the sense that it's a great movie and it's got a great twist, but it's great without the twist. Fifty to fifty is a great movie by itself. The fact that it speaks to me so personally, with so many great insightful cancer moments and references is just bonus.
Speaker 5: It's just a great movie.
Speaker 15: A lot of knowing references from someone the writer who obviously lived the story.
Speaker 5: There are plenty of times during that movie where I'd.
Speaker 15: Be like, oh, yeah, that's something I recognized, that's something up to make so that's that's a great one.
Speaker 1: Okay, I remember when that came out. I'll put that on my list.
Speaker 15: Know you you you it's a great so I I my personal, my my proprietary definition of a great date movie is it, you know, a movie that's romantic or whatever. It's a movie that I think men and women can enjoy equally. It's not a guy movie, it's not a chick like. It's just it's a great movie that can be enjoyed by everyone.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 5: And I think fifty to fifty is is right there.
Speaker 2: In that sweet spot all right, women like it? I like that has the title.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now you've started this newsletter, which I think is fantastic.
Speaker 2: You know, you're a great writer.
Speaker 1: You've got good opinions on things, except for Transformers that you know you recommend often. Sure, But notwithstanding that, what I like about it is that you always have a couple of picks. Like you talk about the major movie in the theater, but you also talk about the like hidden gems on the streaming services. And I think that's really what people want, because like we're all paying for Netflix, we're all paying for Peacock or whatever these things are.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'm the only one.
Speaker 5: But you want to I'm blaming whatever you've got. I've got twice moody.
Speaker 1: You want to get the Criterion Channel because I don't even know what that is. I'm movie though, I'm a big movie No, I'm just kidding. Sure, I've heard of that one. So how do you I mean, you're seeing like how many movies a week? And how do you decide what to put in this newsletter?
Speaker 15: Typically I see about three movies a week, some new, some old. We we talk about them all in the film BA podcast you mentioned earlier.
Speaker 5: But uh yeah, I try to.
Speaker 15: I talk about a new movie in the newsletter and this in theaters if it's worth talking about. There's plenty of times where movies just that great, and I don't like I don't like talking crash about movies.
Speaker 5: I love movies. I want every movie I seem to be good.
Speaker 15: So the fact that I see ones that aren't great, I just let them go and they can, you know, do whatever they do.
Speaker 5: Sometimes it's your huge hits and don't even my help.
Speaker 15: But then my my secret sauce. The thing that I hope makes the newsletter kind of stand out is like you allude to those hidden gems.
Speaker 5: Those movies that are great.
Speaker 15: Should have been seen by more people, aren't seen by more people, And I want to bring them up and bring them to people's attention, but also give that sort of oddly specific scenario where you'd want to watch that movie, like for fifty to fifty maybe that's.
Speaker 5: A little more well known or maybe not, but you haven't seen it.
Speaker 15: But like I might say, oh, I want a date movie that my wife and I are going to enjoy.
Speaker 5: Equally, I might say, right, well, you know what, fifty fifty is your choice?
Speaker 1: So and I bookmarked so many of the movies you recommend, so I've gotten my list in a world you recommended a couple of months show, let's see the Spanish Prisoner you recommend? I mean, these are movies that you know. I've been out for a while, but it's like new to me, Philomena. Was that on your list? That's okay, that's on my list. So my wife and I ended up watching Nana's Last Night or Nona's.
Speaker 5: Oh I haven't seen it? How was it?
Speaker 1: Well, we only got halfway through. It's very depressing, like everyone dies in that movie, which is really sad.
Speaker 2: But I love it did not.
Speaker 5: I did not recommend it.
Speaker 1: I did not recommend that. All right, we got to run. But you have any recommendations you want to tell people about the UH under the radar gem, a recent must watch, a classic?
Speaker 2: What do you want to?
Speaker 1: What do you want to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the one.
Speaker 15: The ones that you mentioned are very indicative of what I go for in the newsletter, which is, you know, ones that fell through the cracks, ones that you may have heard of but I haven't seen, or or like a movie that you know you just don't want to spend the time in the hassle of finding something.
Speaker 5: Just listen to me. I know what I'm talking about, and I really want everyone to love the movies. I recommend a good one.
Speaker 15: I don't know if your kids have seen this Rich uh an animated film to come out a year or two ago called Naemona.
Speaker 9: Do.
Speaker 5: I recommend this.
Speaker 15: One to you back in the Daynemona Pnemona and im a Namona Sweet.
Speaker 5: It's streaming on Netflix.
Speaker 15: It's an animated film about It's it's hard to describe, but it's about this.
Speaker 7: UH.
Speaker 5: These nights like nights, right, but they live in the future. It's like a futuristic nights.
Speaker 15: But like, like all of a sudden, this girl named Naemona comes on the scene and she is this complete ass kicking like kid who just like you know, decimates everyone. And she's hilarious and she's fun, and it's great for kids, it's great for adults. It was nominated for Best Animated Feature and it's on Netflix. Check out Pnemona.
Speaker 5: That's a winner.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, if you want more, you're gonna have to go find Brian's newsletter. It's uh Baldbrian dot substack dot com. Baldbrian dot substack dot com. Thanks so much for coming on the show, Tay, Brian really appreciate it.
Speaker 15: Hey, before I leave, can I say I'm a big fan and I enjoy everything we do.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Save it for the feedback.
Speaker 1: Fair enough eight eight eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Back to the phone lines. Right after this, let's go to Jim and Hammett. Jim, you're on with Writch.
Speaker 9: Hey, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I am doing fantastic.
Speaker 9: I'm glad you're doing great. My question is can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I hear you?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 13: My question is I get a lot of pictures.
Speaker 9: From my employees, and most of them are on Samsung, but some of them are on.
Speaker 10: Apple, and the Apple has the HC.
Speaker 9: Whatever it is. So when I try and download them on my PC, my PC says they don't understand them. So I have to put them in Google Drive save them as the JPEG so I can download them.
Speaker 2: Yes, what can what can I help you with in that process?
Speaker 9: My question is is there a way to do that quicker are faster between you know, as Samsung and a Jay and Ale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look the easy.
Speaker 1: So what's what's happening here is that the people that are using their iPhone iPhone switched to this new format, like you said, h I C, right, And the reason why that format is nice is s h I C or h I F Yeah, h I C. And so the reason why people like that is or why Apple likes it is because it's it's more efficient, right, It's like you can store more data in a smaller amount, and you know.
Speaker 2: And also it's just Apple being Apple.
Speaker 1: I feel like like sometimes they just change things that like everyone in the world knows jpeg, and all of a sudden, iPhones start taking pictures in this hchic format. Now, I'm sure it's probably fine, and I'm sure it's better in some way, but for a lot of people it causes issues, like you're saying, So the first thing you can do is, if you're getting these from the same people over and over, you can just say, hey, do you mind changing the format on your phone. I don't know how close you are with these people, if they're employees, whatever might be a tall order, but I've changed it on my phone because it just got to be so annoying that half the people this would work with, and myself when I try to upload a picture to a website or something, it doesn't work because it's achic. Then if you convert it, and it's easy enough to convert, but it takes a little bit to do that. So Number one, if you are having this similar issue, go into your settings, tap camera and under formats you'll see camera capture high efficiency or most compatible. Most compatible is going to keep it in JPEG. High efficiency is going to be the h G I F or h G I C format, whatever they whatever it's called. Now, Jim for you on the back end here trying to figure out what to do with this. What I would do is you could do it could do a couple of things. You can download an app from Windows from Windows Store to transform these, which sounds like you might have already been doing. Actually no, it sounded like you were doing Google Photos. That's a very like roundabout way of doing it. I don't think you should do that. I think go into Windows Store see if they have an app that will do that.
Speaker 2: If not, there's website. There's a website called.
Speaker 1: Vert v E R T dot s H and basically short for convert and you can go in there and it will You can drag and drop the picture and it will convert it into a jpeg. I mean, it's really pretty simple. So that's probably what I would do. And you could drop a bunch of them and that's probably the easiest way to do it. There's also websites that will do it, but again you can either get a piece of software or use the website to do it. That's probably what I would do. I'm trying to see if there is a Windows app that will do this. Let me see here, let's see the built in photos app. But you see see the Windows doesn't seem to like it very much, so it doesn't seem to really like that format, which is why you're having trouble with it. It looks like you have to pay at least a dollar for an extension to let Windows natively open these files. You can get third party software that can do it. But yeah, it looks like So this actually looks like the best one interesting copy trans hi c And what's nice about that is it will make a right click in Windows Explorer to convert it.
Speaker 2: But how much do they charge for this app?
Speaker 1: Is the question? Personal usage? Free download? There you go, So I don't know. Let's see if it is there a price? That might be the way to do it. Copy dot net looks like they have copy trans Hic for Window open and convert hic files in your Windows PC, and it looks like it adds it to a right click and it says free and premium plans. So I would try that first, and that's probably gonna be the easiest just because then you don't have to worry about moving it anywhere else. You can just do that right inside your your Windows Explorer. But again, you have a lot of options. Not ideal, but there are ways of converting, and you know, unless the person changes it on their end with their iPhone, you're gonna be stuck with the conversion on your end.
Speaker 2: So good question. Thanks for the call, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Speaking of photos, Photoshop has come to Android. They've had some versions in the past, but this is like the new Photoshop beta app, free to download on Google Play, works on Android eleven plus devices with at least six gigs of RAM. It's got all the iconic Photoshop tool built in, like layers and masks and clone stamp, magic wand it also has some of the AI features, So Firefly AI is Adobe's brand of AI. You can use that to easily add or remove objects or backgrounds, so again you can use this on your phone to make thumbnails, artwork whatever you want. It's got pretty much everything you need and free access to some Adobe stock assets. Now this is in beta, so a lot of the features are free, but eventually they might cost something. But if you've been waiting for Photoshop to come to Android, it is on Android at this point in beta. It came to the iPhone earlier this year, and of course it's like, oh, sure, you come to the iPhone first.
Speaker 2: When are you going to come to Android? And now it actually has.
Speaker 1: Eighty eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Rich on Tech dot TV back after this and I'll tell you why if you use PayPal and Google Wallet, you got to find something new.
Speaker 2: This is rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. Triple eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up this hour, we're going to talk about pass keys. This is the the new way to log in that does not require a password, and a lot of websites are adopting it. We'll talk to someone from the Fido Alliance to explain what that's all about.
Speaker 2: Plus we have the feedbag.
Speaker 1: Coming up later, so if you want to get your emails in rich on Tech dot TV, we'll get to some more of your calls as well. I was doing the self checkout thing this week, you know, at one of the registers at the grocery store. My kids helping me, and I'm not kidding the entire tay. It is just the worst experience ever. Depends on the place you go, but this self checkout, you know, it's like some companies have decided we're going to make our self checkout really easy and you know, not so bad. Other companies said, you know, they just decided we're going to make it the worst possible experience for a human being. Now, this particular location, I will not name names, but it's sort of like a first person's name. It's a very prominent grocery store and it's really bad. And every single item you've got to scan it and then it's got to go on the side where you put it like in this little thing. And so the way the system works is every item is weighed, and so when you scan about a carton of milk, the system knows how much that milk weighs, and then you have to put that milk on the side and there's like the whole thing is a scale and it weighs the milk and so it knows you put it there. It's like, okay, that's that's the right thing they scanned. They're not stealing.
Speaker 2: And you know, we.
Speaker 1: Kept scanning stuff putting it in the bags, and the thing just kept flagging and flagging. The lady comes over and she was really not very nice and she's like, you can't put the stuff in the bags while your bag while you're checking out. So what what do you mean, I can't put stuff in bags while I'm checking out at the grocery store. And she's like, no, it's you know, that's that's you know, you're trying to cheat the system or something.
Speaker 2: I said, We're not trying to cheat the system. We're trying to check out.
Speaker 1: So I did not ask to be hired as a checkout clerk at a grocery store. That was not on my list of things I wanted to do today. But you have made me do it because guess what, every single aisle at this store, every single checkout register is closed except for the ten or twenty that you've converted into self checkout.
Speaker 2: And so you're making me do this. Don't treat me like.
Speaker 1: A shoplifter because you've decided not to staff the registers. That's what's happening now at Target on Name Names because they actually have a good checkout system. They don't let you self check out anymore if you have more than like ten things. I guess people were just throwing stuff in bags. It was like, you know, left and right. But the big thing is that this self checkout, it's like the stores have to decide do you want us to check out and just assume, yeah, there's gonna be some level of theft, or do you want to come up with a better system that actually works for the people. Now, I will tell you I checked out just before the show at an Amazon Fresh and it was a very nice experience. System must have been written from the ground up by Amazon, because it just worked.
Speaker 2: Now I will tell you I did.
Speaker 1: I did scan an item twice by accident, and I just because it asked me to call someone over and there's no one to call over. I just walked to a different self checkout and just started over again. So whoever goes to that one has to deal with my uh my half order. I guess let's go to Marshall. We're gonna try Marshall again in Studio City.
Speaker 2: Marshall, you're on with I'm here? What's up?
Speaker 9: I got you?
Speaker 13: First of all, I know that Ralph I hate them too.
Speaker 2: I did not name names, Marshall, Okay, I.
Speaker 13: Will, but anyways, I hope you deplete me out. But anyways, I gotta ask. I have the note I have not to note the Samsung twenty five Ultra, and I thought I heard you tell when you were heard they were first introducing it that the batteries were being for environmentally, they were using recycled, like refurbished batteries. Because I'm having a pavern with my battery I had when I was targe to it came up like a yellow triangle with an exclamation point during the time at one point it never happened again. But it's charge is slow. And I have two different cables and two different blocks from Best Buys, so I know they're pretty you know, credible, you know, equipment like that, and yet it's charging slow. They when I talked to Team Mobile, my carrier, they said they never heard of such a thing. Did you not tell when you were introducing the Samsung twenty five vols a while back that they're using refurbished batteries.
Speaker 1: Well, they're not refurbished batteries. What these all these companies are doing is they're using recovered materials in their batteries. So it's not like the battery is fresh. It's just the recycling some of the you know, precious metals and things that are in these batteries and using them over So explain, Wait, what's what's the problem with the battery again, it.
Speaker 13: Doesn't charge its fast well, it' stop charging altogether. At one point it had a yellow triangle with an exclamation point on my screen. Okay, hey, but other times I have it, we're super fast charging. I'm going to my cables and like that. Yeah, and it takes over two and a half hours for it to get a fold and hard.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, it sounds like there could be an issue with your phone because I have the S twenty five Ultra. I've used a lot of Samsung products and they I actually think they charge really well and quite fast, especially when you see that. What I'd like you to do, there is an app you can download for free. It's called the Samsung Members App, and so you download that app and they have a diagnostic for your phone built into this app. So if you go into the Samsung Members App, open it up lower right hand corner, it says support. You tap that and then you can run through a diagnostic and it will test everything. We're talking the battery, the NFC, SIM power restart, official software, Mobile network, sensors, camera, It tests it all and then it will give you the results. And so once you get the results, you can tap battery status to see what it says about your battery and mindsets normal life. Good tells you the capacity and if that's a problem, you can check the battery usage. But it sounds to me like if you're having this many issues, a couple of things could be happening. If you're not using a good charging cable, that could be the problem. And so what I'd recommend is making sure you have a thirty watt plug in charger with a reputable cable attached. And then I would also check the bottom of your phone, make sure that there's nothing caught in there. Could be lint, could be you know, something could be caught in that charging cable. Because if it's saying fast charging, it usually gives a time of how long it's going to take to charge. It should not be taking, you know, well, it should be taking whatever time it says on there. So that's what i'd recommend. Marshall the recycled battery, I don't think. I don't think it has anything to do with the performance of the battery. I mean, Samsung is a big company. They have a lot of experience with batteries, and I don't think that they would put something in there. That's not going to work, especially on a brand new phone that they make millions of. So if you do have a problem with the S twenty five Ultra, I would invoke your warranty. I mean that phone has not been out for a year just yet, so I would go with a warranty on that That's a brand new phone. I mean, didn't it come out in January. So figure out the warranty situation and bring that in. And if that app says something wrong. If it doesn't say anything wrong, it could be how you're charging or what you're doing, so I would make sure that you've got the right charger set up on that phone as well. Thanks for the call, Marshall, appreciate it. Good listener was listening to what I said when that phone came out.
Speaker 2: If you're using.
Speaker 1: PayPal in Google Wallet, it will no longer work starting on June thirteenth, So if you have your PayPal linked up, it will automatically be deleted from the Google Wallet app. So this will affect your instore payments. You will not be able to tap to pay with PayPal via Google Wallet anymore. Google says this was PayPal's decision, not theirs, so check your email for more details from PayPal. If you want to still use your PayPal account, you can link up a PayPal debit card just like you would any other card you put into Google Wallet. You would add that directly to Google Wallet. This has been a long time. They started this integration back in twenty seventeen. But I guess PayPal either no one's using this or it's just not part of their plan anymore. So Uh, there you have it if you have Google Wallet in a PayPal in Google Wallet no longer happening after June thirteenth. All right, more on the website, rich On Tech dot TV eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'll tell you about the new study that reveals the ideal amount of time you should work before you take a break in any given day.
Speaker 2: This is rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich On Tech. Let's get to uh Mark in Weineka. Mark, you're on with rich.
Speaker 16: Yes, my family has been interested in finding out our history. We're a bit hesitant about because of all the data breaches in and the selling information of DNA. We don't want to go that route. And a professional genealogist is almost prohibitively expensive. Really, do you have any suggestions for those who are just looking to find out their family tree, where we're from, that sort of thing, somebody who can do the backgrounding and without the DNA.
Speaker 1: Oh. I don't really have a suggestion on that because I feel like, if you want to learn about that stuff, you got to do the DNA test. But I understand the whole DNA situation. I did an ancestry DNA for what it's worth, you know, I thought the results were interesting, they were not groundbreaking. I did not do twenty three in meters, which I know a lot of people have, especially around Prime Day. The other thing I did is there's a website called Genie dot com g E n I dot com. If you tried that, no, Suir, Okay, So Genie dot com is pretty much your own You can build your own family tree on there. So if you have some relatives you want to talk to them, you can kind of fill out a family tree there, and I believe they sort of help you along with you can look out some records and things like that. So yeah, it's got like automatic tree matches. There's already two hundred and seventy million people on there, so it's it's not a bad way to build your own family tree if you don't want to go the DNA route.
Speaker 2: I guess they have.
Speaker 1: Let's see, they have a link for their own DNA test my heritage DNA tests, so I guess they have their own link there as well. One hundred and forty nine dollars, three hundred and sixty eight and then five hundred and twenty nine. Those are the prices for various tests you can get. But I don't know if you don't, you know the problem with all these DNA tests is, like you said, the data breaches, you don't know how, Like twenty three meters was just purchased, you don't know how the new company is going to use the data, even though they pledged to sort of honor the old data privacy rules that twenty three meters had in place. So I understand where you're coming from, But I think the easiest way is really just to build your own family tree on a website like Genie. And there's another one too. Let me see if there's another one. I Ancestry dot Com obviously is another. Let's see Ancestry. Let's see if they have their own like familytree, Yeah, ancestry dot com. But see Ancestry is a big DNA company too. They want you to do your DNA so sort of depends if you don't want your DNA stuff, that's you know, it limits in the information, But the DNA stuff really on the back end. Like what would happen on the the test that I took is that basically it would say, hey, we found a cousin of yours and it would flag them, and it like really was a cousin of mine, which I couldn't believe.
Speaker 2: I was like, wow, that's quite impressive.
Speaker 1: So if you don't want to do the DNA stuff, you can still just build the family tree on your own using the information that you provide.
Speaker 2: Good question. It's interesting.
Speaker 1: I think that at a certain point everyone was excited about the DNA tests, and then after we realized the privacy concerns, everyone's like, I don't know if I want to do that anymore. I think in general, it's probably you know, if you read the if you read sort of their their privacy policies and stuff, they probably try to keep this stuff private and anonymized. But you know, there's always a breach, Like you said, new study reveals the ideal work break balance in a post pandemic world.
Speaker 2: Here it is. You're ready, bring this to your employer.
Speaker 1: Employees who work seventy five minutes and then break for thirty three minutes are the most productive.
Speaker 2: There you have it.
Speaker 1: During the pandemic, the ratio was longer, so people worked for one hundred and twelve minutes and then rested for twenty six minutes. But let's see, hybrid work appears to encourage more frequent, longer breaks now about four per day. So yeah, if you're working hybrid, of course you're you know, you've got more liberties. If you're working hybrid, office environments boost break habits, coffee, chat, walk around, which actually helps productivity. I do believe that I've mentioned this on this show. Like when you're working from home or working from work the office, it is a very different experience. And you know at work there are there are breaks sort of built into your day. People interrupt you, you walk to the restroom, someone talks to you.
Speaker 2: You have to deal.
Speaker 1: You got to interface with someone in real life, they talk to you. You know, I've got all these people, I talk to them. I work for different reasons, and so you know, it's all part of the breaks that I take at work. And I guess it just I work hard when I'm there, but i'm you know, chat with one person about baseball cards, I chat another person about their you know, how their day is going, and chat another person about travel whatever it is. Let's see, this comes from desk time. So I guess desk time. Back in twenty fourteen, found the fifty two seventeen work rule. Now it is seventy five thirty three. So again, there you have it, seventy five minutes on, thirty three minutes off. I like that I can do that. I find that my Apple Watch actually reminds me when I need to or to take a break because I'll be sitting there at my desk and it's like you haven't stood up for an hour. I'm like, oh, that's a good idea. Let me stand up. If you have Mint Mobile, you now have RCS. This is the latest texting standard.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 1: It makes texts much easier between iPhone and Android. So no matter what your phone, no matter what phone you have, now on Mint Mobile you can get this. RCS has those typing indicators, the read receipts or red receipts are we say it hi res photos and videos, sharing group chats are much better and to end encryption on certain Android to Android messages and really having rcs is just a big step for modern texting. You know, the iPhone had the blue bubbles for many years. People favored those and they still do. But OURCS has really made texting between iPhone and androids so much better. You do need Google Messages on Android, so make sure you're using that, and then iOS eighteen on iPhone for the iPhone use. But if you're on Mint Mobile, you've got now the latest modern texting. I made a big booboo yesterday, big booboo. I was booking a flight for my wife and I booked it no problem. I was using my miles and this morning, I don't know why, I happened to look at my credit card and I was like, why is there this big charge for like four hundred dollars And I look at my email, I'm like, wait, they charged me for the miles. So apparently I bought the miles by accident, and so I called the airline and I said, hey, this is a mistake. You know, it's only it hasn't even been twenty four hours. Like, oh, yeah, once you buy miles, there is no refund. I said, what do you mean, no refund twenty four hours? You can refund anything. It says, no, not for miles. Miles are final. I said, well, I didn't know I was buying miles, and so I invoked my favorite words in customer service, and these are Remember these words because they have served me well so many times. I'm not trying to get over on anyone, but these words seem to unlock a world that is just reserve for the upper echelon of customer service. And the words are can you grant a one time exception? I don't know what it is about those words, but they are magical to a customer service representative's years. I think it gives them the freedom to do something they can't typically do under their rules because it's a one time exception. It's not a thing they're doing for everyone. They're just doing it for you. And then for you get a pass because you get the idea that they're not doing this for everyone's. You can't go on Twitter or on a radio show and say, hey, do this because this they'll refund everyone.
Speaker 2: They won't.
Speaker 1: It was a one time exception, so it's a pass for both of you to make this situation work.
Speaker 2: And I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: They ended up refunding, which I would have fought it a little bit harder if they didn't. But the woman was very nice on the phone and she said, we don't do this for anyone, but we're gonna do it for you. I said, well, thank you for making that one time exception works like a charm every time. Try it next time. One time It is my favorite words. And for some reason, it's like a little agreement you have with the customer service representative, like they know they're doing something they don't typically do. You know you're asking them to do something they don't typically do. But it all works out in the end. Coming up, we are going to talk about past keys and how they can protect your accounts and make them easier to log into it. At the same time, this is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology the website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. If you want to get your feedback in go ahead email me now we'll get to that next, But first we're going to talk Past Keys. Andrew Shakira is here with the Fido Alliance. This is an industry association sort of helping promote and figure out these standards to make us to make our lives easier when it comes to logging in to all of our websites. Andrew, thanks for joining me.
Speaker 2: Hey, Rich, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: It's awesome to be here.
Speaker 1: So Past Keys, I know, well, first off, I explain the final Alliance. Did I explain that properly?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 9: You did so.
Speaker 6: Fido Alliance is an industry body. We have over three hundred members worldwide that collaborate to create open standards for better authentication. So basically our mission is to get rid of passwords, to make it easier for everyone to sign into things and more secure as well, and somber. Our members include everyone you'd think you'd want to have solving the problem is working to solve this problem.
Speaker 2: So it's like Apple and Google.
Speaker 6: And eBay and Amazon and you know, you name it. The companies that really have so much to lose by you know, it's the risk of security out there, it's what you gain by easier signings are all working together on this technology in our body Fino alliance.
Speaker 2: So what is the problem with passwords?
Speaker 6: First off, well, I think everyone can relate to the challenges of passwords. How happen do you forget a password, need to sign in and you have to try to recover it or try to guess it or supposed to use unique passwords for every site. So from a peer to you know humans standpoint, passwords are just very difficult to manage, and if you're do them correctly, which means use a complex password for each site, it's actually impossible. That's what ends up happening is people use the same password, which isn't that complex for every site, and then attackers you steal that password or it's lost in a data breach or something like that, those accounts get taken over. So not only they're hard to use, but they're very insecure. And so when you hear about these massive data breaches, hundreds of millions of accounts being stolen things like that, over eighty percent of the time that's to do to passwords. So they're hard to remember, which is not fun as a consumer, but also they're incredibly risky, so it need to you know, create these tools that makes it easier for people to sign in, but also easier for the services to have a more secure environment.
Speaker 1: So I've been hearing a lot about the pass keys. I think I've even set a couple up on a couple of my accounts, but I'm not exactly sure what they're all about. So can you explain what a past key is? And you know what that's all about?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so you know, let's start with passwords. So the way passwords work is you have a quote unquote secret that's sitting on a server and you know it in your head, and when you go to sign and you enter that secret and if it matches, you can sign in. Now, the problem with that is that your secret isn't that secret, so someone can steal or someone can guess it, or someone can set up a fishing site, pretend to be the real site and steal your password. That way the way past keys work. Instead, instead of a secret you know on the server, you have what's called a unique keypair, a virtual keypair, where you have one what's called the public key that sits on the server and then the unique part of the key pair is on your device with you. And then you need to verify yourself to your device for those keys to talk to each other to sign in. That sounds very complex. What it looks like to the average consumer is, you know, whatever you're doing to unlock your phone, right, So if you're on Apple, it's probably face ID or touch ID, or Android it's you know, face or touch. And so when you're doing that action, whatever you're doing to unlock your device, you're actually verifying yourself to your private key, which then signs in. But it's a very simple action, so say single gesture sign in. And so what's more secure about this than the password model is that no one can have your private key other than you, right, and if a site pretends to be in a site, it's not the real site, you know, there's no way for them to do that unless they have the public key. So it really, you know, takes away the threat of fishing and all these remote attacks, but also makes it way easier for you to sign in. You're basically doing the same thing that people do dozens of times a day. It's unlock their device. Is now what you're doing to sign in?
Speaker 1: Okay, So let's say I went to eBay and I need to sign in. It says log in, and if I have my past key that I've already set up on my phone with eBay, what does that look like?
Speaker 2: I just literally put my fingerprint on my phone. Yeah, whatever you do.
Speaker 5: To unlock your phone.
Speaker 6: So for me, I'm on iPhone for example, I'll use either face ID or my PIM. So whatever you do to unlock your device is what you now do to sign in. And by unlocking that device, you're proving that you aren't possession of that device, and that allows your magic key pare to talk to each other so you can sign in.
Speaker 2: Okay, So do I need like an app?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 1: I know a couple of the apps I use for password managers that I've tested, it seems like they have pass keys built in. I also know the phones have it built in. So what do I need to get started with this? Yeah, that's exactly it. So you know we mentioned before, you're three hundred companies in the Alliance. Because of that, you know the support virtually everywhere for pass keys, so it is built into your operating systems. It's also built into your password managers.
Speaker 6: So you can have passkeys stored in either place it's really up to you, or you can have multiple pass keys per site, So whatever you're doing, you know, again, we call this your credential manager. So whether it's your say iCloud keychain or Apple passwords, whether you're using one password or Bitwoarden or dash Lane, whatever you're doing to access that is what you're doing now to access your pass key and sign in. But again that's way more words than the actual user experience, which is generally just your device unlocked. But if you're doing to unlock your device, is what you're doing to sign in. So generally on your mobile phone, it's a biometric and you're in.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I guess the question becomes and this is why I think some people have hesitation, like wait, what if I lose my phone?
Speaker 2: Do I lose all my past keys?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 2: Am I never going to be able to get back into Amazon ever? Again?
Speaker 6: Yeah, The cool thing about this, and what's really important about these credential managers and operating systems is that the way paskis work is actually your private key is readily available across anywhere where you access things. Right, So in my example, if I had enrolled with my iPhone, then I show up on my MacBook or another another piece of hardware that that key is there too, so I use the same you know, whatever I'm doing to unlock that device is generally what I'm doing to access to pass key. If it's if it's the same operating system, or if I'm using say credential manager up to one password, if I have it on you know, my phone and my PC, I can just you know, do it there as well. So if you lose one device, it doesn't really matter because your recovery now is much easier. Your recovery is just basically logging into that credential manager, which if it's on the same operating system, is just opening a device, or if it's you know, if it's a password manager, we may have to log into it be your past is there. And so this takes away actually a lot of the hassle and the risk of passwords. Also because generally attackers will leverage this what's called a recovery process right for tend you've lost your password or something like that to take over accounts, and that's no longer possible unless you have, you know, possession of the device that you're using to sign in.
Speaker 1: So it sounds to me like if you're a person like me that has a lot of different devices, like an Android, an iPhone, Mac computer, Windows computer. You might want to use like an independent sort of like like you said, like a bit Warden or a dash lane because you can install it in all those But if you're just using like an iPhone and your Mac computer, you know, you're good with just what's built into the operating system because it's just that's you know, it's all there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're only.
Speaker 6: On Apple, it's very easy. I'm typically on Apple and a PC. But also you can also set up multiple pass keys per se. In the fact, we almost recommend that. So for a lot of my sights, for a lot of sites where use paskis for example, I'll have an an Apple pass key and I'll have a Windows pass key and they you know, with my potential dander.
Speaker 2: Also, oh that's interesting.
Speaker 6: Give you some optionality, yes, and that's fine because it's not really any it's not risky because all these things can only be opened by you, right, So so.
Speaker 1: If it prompts you on whatever device you're on, hey do you want to set up a paskey?
Speaker 2: You're like, I already have one.
Speaker 1: But if it's a different device, that's like using a different operating system, it can still interface with that website because it's this device is authenticating it now plus the other device exactly.
Speaker 6: And a lot of sites where you manage where you have pasts, if you go into your accounts settings and it'll let you add pasts, and so that's a good practice. Also, the other thing you can do if you're going across operating systems, so you have a past unal on your phone and you're going to a PC, you can also scan like the little QR code on there, and so like literally the past is in your hand in that phone, and then you get a prompt like with a QR code on a PC and you can use this passk you to sign in.
Speaker 2: That's really good to do.
Speaker 6: Say I'm visiting you sim Rich, I'm at your house or something, and I want to sign it in my service, like my gaming service or something like that. I can just use my pass game my phone to sign in and I'm not actually creating a PASKI on your device, if that makes sense right. So it's really good for shared devices or like you're not at home against something you're in possession of in your hand to sign in to a site. That's you know that I'm trying to access.
Speaker 1: All right, we got less than a minute. How do I know which of my apps or websites support this.
Speaker 6: Spe Typically you'll see it at signing. The good news is when pask has only been available for around, you know, two and a half years, roughly half of the top one hundred sites on the Internet support paskis, So pretty much every major e commerce provider, a lot of you grown number of travel sites and things like that support paskis, so you can generally see it at signing.
Speaker 2: I'll give you the option of using the pasty all right.
Speaker 1: Very interesting, and uh, I think you gave me the confidence I need to start using these more often because I can't stand remembering passwords. And I do obviously use a password manager because I know that's very important. But even that, you know, it's like it's just the past key the couple of websites I've set up. It is a much smoother process. It's almost so easy. I'm like, wait, did I just log in or what?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 2: So you're doing something right? All right? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Andrews Kerr from the Fido Alliance. Any website you want people to go to to learn more about this.
Speaker 6: Can go to paskcentral dot org. But yeah, that's that's the side mainly for developers. But I check that out because you more information on paskis and by all means you know, when you see when you have a chance, he's a past.
Speaker 10: You do it.
Speaker 1: All right, there you have it, Thanks so much for the information today, rich on Tech dot TV. I'll put a link to that passkeycentral dot org. More information about passkeys there, all right, Coming up, we are going to open up the feedback. We are going to hear from you.
Speaker 2: These are the.
Speaker 1: Emails, the comments, the questions you sent me all week long.
Speaker 2: We'll do that coming up next.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology. A couple of things to mention before I get to the feedback. Two tools this week to check out, actually three. First it's called payback Pai b a ck. We had a payback dot app. We had a caller call in about this. They basically track your airfare for price drops and if it you know something that you've already booked, and if the price drops, they request a credit from the airline. So I have talked to the developers and now I'm using it to track a couple of my upcoming flights again. It's called paybackpai back Dot app. And what's cool about it is it gives you the confidence to book your flight knowing that if the price drops, you'll be able to get a credit, not a refund, a credit and then another website or an app. Actually, hobby Scan. Hobby Scan is another one of those card scanning apps.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: They have a rapid scan feature where you can scan a whole bunch of cards at once and then the other thing. I'm absolutely loving, but I'm not sure I'm going to pay for it because it's kind of expensive. But Notion has this feature called AI Meeting Notes, and as soon as you start a zoom meeting or any sort of like online meeting on your computer, it starts taking a transcription and then gives you at the end a summary. It is incredibly good. So the AI AI Meeting Notes from Notion, Oh my gosh, I don't know who's programming it, but kudos to you.
Speaker 2: All right, let's open up the feedbag. Let's see here.
Speaker 1: Robin from Anaheim rits In you talked about a phone cleaning app for iPhone. I'm an Android user. There are many similar apps. When I'm afraid to choose the wrong one. Do you have one you recommend something that deletes duplicates and cleans up the phone. I don't think you really need a third party cleaner app. There's one on Google for free. It's called Google Files. They have a built in clean functionality. It's got a duplicate photo finder. It's very safe, it's simple, it's effective. I ran it on my phone yesterday again. It's Google's free files app. I don't think you need to mess with any of the other ones out there. That one does exactly what you need. Google Files. PJ writes in I've been living in Mexico for several years. US phones can work here if your carrier has reciprocal agreements with Mexican providers. I use both the US phone and a Mexican phone. For my Mexican phone, I use Telsell, though there are other carriers. My plans on both phones cover Canada, the US and Mexico with no roaming charges. The US phone costs under thirty dollars a month, and the tel Cell plan is even cheaper. I keep data usage low by using Wi Fi for most things. Enrique also writes in about cell plans in Mexico. On your show, you mentioned someone needing permanent cell coverage in Mexico. T Mobile has decent plans with good coverage back to the US, but the big player in Mexico is telsell good plans but higher rates for calls to the States.
Speaker 2: I would not recommend movie Star.
Speaker 1: It's got a big footprint, but coverage to the US is poor or non existent. I imagine at some point that person is going to want to call home, even just five minutes to the in laws on Thanksgiving without getting stuck on a massive bill. Also, I'm looking forward to using audible to check out Apple and China, which you recommended on the show. Keep up the great work, thank you, Enrique. Philip writes in the Personal Extended Security Updates for Windows is thirty dollars per year for business customers, the cost starts at sixty one for one year, then doubles each year, one hundred and twenty two for two, two forty four for year three. That's four hundred and twenty seven dollars total per PC over three years. Microsoft's blog post doesn't break down that math, probably.
Speaker 2: Because it looks pretty steep. Hey, rich I.
Speaker 1: Recently traveled to Istanbul, Croatia, and Venice. Before leaving, I downloaded Call the Midwife to my iPhone using the Netflix app. I was able to watch it on the plane, but once I got to my destination, I couldn't.
Speaker 2: Access the show anymore.
Speaker 1: I understand it might be a licensing thing, but if I'm using my own phone and paying for Netflix, why can't I watch what I already downloaded? Great question, and yes this comes down to licensing. I've had this issue. Not everything on Netflix is available everywhere. I think the hack is to put your phone into airplane mode before you open up the app the next time you're in a different country. Jonathan writes in listening to your show has made me more curious about trying AI. I'm a fan of classic movies and wanted something short to watch. Instead of looking up run times one by one, I took a screenshot of several titles on my DVR and uploaded it to Gemini and Perplexity. Both gave me a full list of runtimes. See someone else that likes run times for their movies?
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: I even asked them to organize the list by runtime or release here, and they did it. Gemini was a bit faster, but Perplexity gave cleaner results and helpful links. Thanks for keeping us informed on how to use this cool tech. Craig in New York rights in Hey, Rich, I enjoy your radio show here in Rochester on Wham eleven eighty Wham eleven eighty am. Thanks for your service. I'm eighty and not a techie, but you make things very understandable.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Craig.
Speaker 1: Jony from Carmel, California rights in love the podcast.
Speaker 14: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm overwhelmed with how many data breaches the online checkers have found for me. The latest breach is especially concerning be well and thanks for the good work.
Speaker 2: Let's see you well. Lots lots of feedback this week.
Speaker 1: Ron from Los Angeles writes in thank you for the recommendation of whisper flow. This might be one of the best app recommendations you've offered in a long time. This is saving me so much time at my desktop office and in my personal iPhone life. Absolutely, Ron, it is one of the best innovations I've seen. I would not be surprised, mark my words, I would not be surprised if Apple or Google purchases this startup because it is just that good. Whoever gets that technology on their phone in a big way is going to take a big leap forward, because once you try that, you just can't go back.
Speaker 2: It's that good. Steve writes in from New Jersey.
Speaker 1: Hey, Rich, just have to say your last show had me rolling in laughter when you started singing your version of please Please Please on the podcast, Oh podcast Gold.
Speaker 2: Keep up the great work. Your show is.
Speaker 1: Always one of the highlights of my weekend. Hope all is well, Steve, Thank you, Steve, appreciate that. Melissa from West Hollywood writes in, I'm writing to add my voice to the many who appreciate your work. I especially enjoy your podcast in social media, I'm consistently learning something new each week as someone working in tech, specifically in web and app content management, with a solid background in the field.
Speaker 2: Melissa, I'm not giving you a job here.
Speaker 1: I still find your insights incredibly valuable. Your approachable and friendly style, free from any hint of condescension.
Speaker 2: Makes learning from you a pleasure.
Speaker 7: See.
Speaker 1: I can't even pronounce certain words, that's how approachable I am. All right, let's see here, Hey, rich stand Ward writes in great show, I like the part about LPs and cassette tapes. I had to stop myself from collecting too much. My front room looks like a record store. I buy tapes by the cases. I miss my portable Sony recorder so I can listen to them one minute.
Speaker 2: Let's see here.
Speaker 1: Mark from Portland says on your May thirtieth show, a caller asked how to record a radio broadcast on their Android motog I'm not sure if they were listening via streaming or over the AIRFM, but here's my setup. I use my Moto stylist on T Mobile and listen using the built in FM radio with Motorola's app with headphones. The app has a record button right on the screen. It works great for over the air FM. Thank you Mark for adding that that's going to do it for this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to the website rich on Tech dot tv. You can find me on social media at rich on Tech If you're not following me on Instagram, that is where I do a bulk of my posting, especially those scams keep sending them to me. Thank you so much for that. Next week, Apple's WWDC. This is their big developers conference, but they kick it off on Monday with all of the features that are coming soon to the iPhone, so I'll have a wrap up of that. Thank you so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I appreciate you spending it right here with me. One reminder before I go, please do not text and drive. Whatever it is, it can wait. It's not just you, it's the safety of everyone. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Adam today, Kim on phones, my name is rich Demiro. I'll talk to you real soon.