Speaker 1: It's hard to bring back the same band when they are twelve and twenty seven, but I think you know, they have that stretch fresh in their minds and fans because it's the same team, just assume that this is a carryover from last year.
Speaker 2: Well, we've got Dan Hayes joining us right now covering the Twins for the Athletic Dan. Great to have you on. How would you describe the Minnesota Twins through their first couple weeks of the season and reaction from the fan base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a rough eleven games in the last three days, four days, whatever it's been. Have had some of those games that have had just very difficult losses. Blowing the six run lead on Sunday at home against the Astros, you have a series win lined up in your home, first home series of the season, to blow that was really rough, and then last night. You know, one of the things that's really bugged them early on this season is they just haven't had stability from their rotation.
Speaker 3: And this is a very good rotation.
Speaker 1: On pay paper, Fangrafts had it projected as the fifth best rotation in baseball going in, and until last night they had a six ninety Era for their first ten games, and they haven't. I think they've had two guys go into the sixth inning this season so far. And last night Pablo Lopez was just he was matching Cole Reagan's you know, right and left.
Speaker 3: He looked amazing, had a lot of swing and miss.
Speaker 1: And then he gets the hamstring string, the mild hamstring strand and the fifth in and it was just another big blow that this team is facing no royce Lewis early on and to lose the game they played, they were in it the entire way. The eighth inning, you get to the point where Carlos Korea is coming up with first and third, one out, you look like you have a shot at winning.
Speaker 3: It's one to one, and he had.
Speaker 1: Hit two doubles, which you know he had one double coming in all season going into last yesterday, and hits into a double play. Griffin Jackson comes in, gets a pop out, gets Bobby White to hit a four hopper to the mount and airmails at the first and wits on third and Pascenttino just hits a little little number up the first baseline and boom, you lose two to one. So they have been hit in the face by the shovel a few times. So far the snowshovel has been out, and really it's been a tough eleven days. And you know, fans came in angry anyways, that fans have not forgotten last season's collapse. Fans want the team sail to be complete. Attendance was down over that first three games, severely so that fan anger was already or fan morale was already pretty low.
Speaker 3: And obviously it's not the kind of start they were looking for.
Speaker 4: Dan, we can't get you upgraded to a king bed and wherever you are, because I mean, I mean.
Speaker 1: I took I probably took a good deal, like but yes, I was walked in the other day and was a little surprised myself.
Speaker 4: So I mean, you don't go to the front desk and say, I'm Dan Hayes, I'm part of the athletic. I can't get a king bed. I mean maybe being upgrade.
Speaker 3: I'm going to write about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, nobody wants to hear about beat writers travel issues, so they I get that stuff.
Speaker 3: They wait real quick, there you go.
Speaker 1: Hey, you guys were talking about NBAHM there for a minute. I just wanted because Sahative is part of the network, and I just wanted to ring bring something back. About seven years ago, you guys were talking about the I have this. I don't know if it'll show up.
Speaker 2: But yeah we can see higher there we go, Wait, Hi, no high higher there there you go.
Speaker 1: There that was Sahat was the Magic and I was the Warriors. And that was at an arcade in Phoenix. It was an adult arcade in Phoenix.
Speaker 3: And uh.
Speaker 1: To sixteen, I've never seen someone, a grown man cry in public, but I I made cry and I want that to be out on the internet.
Speaker 3: Uh, like that was your's. I still so it's a it's a highlight for me. But how bad?
Speaker 4: First of all, before we're gonna get back to the twins, but how bad were the magic they had Nick Anderson to Scott Skyles. Not that Scott Skyles wasn't a great player. He did set the assist record on my birthday one year against the Nuggas. You had like forty.
Speaker 3: Thirty.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, crazy, But he was the fact that it was Nick Anderson and Scott Skyles on NBA jam versus anybody feels like that could be the score almost every time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking when they picked that team.
Speaker 1: To be honest and being Chris Burton being physical was was very fun. I think, I said, I think I had a triple double as weber alone and blocks, assists, rebounds, and I think I barely got the points. So I just I can't remember who my partner was, but we dominated and so so hot of If you're out there, hey, buddy, ft.
Speaker 2: Fam, you gotta check out what Harry's brings to the table. And I hope that if you're listening to this, you check out the video version of this conversation at some point, because that razor aircratz looks like it stands out for multiple reasons.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'll take the cover off all these blades, each one of them ridiculously sharp for a nice smoothness here.
Speaker 3: And up there.
Speaker 2: German engineered blades made in their own factory, they stay sharp longer. Okay, you've got customizable delivery options. Harry stands out for the sharpness, for the pricing, for the variety, and you can get a five blade razor, a weighted handle, foaming shave gel, and a travel cover for just three bucks at Harry's dot com. Slash vall get the edge on your shave with Harry's. Normally their trial sets thirteen dollars. Right now, you can get it for just three dollars at Harry's dot com slash vall. That's our exclusive ft link Harry's dot Com slash foul for a three dollars trial set.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, now back to the Twins. Speaking of getting dominated, I know it's calling up there in old Minnesota. You talk about Carlos Carea, but nobody's hitting on this team well where, I mean, Korea is going to be better, Buckston has got to be better. But you just look at it as like Wallner is doing okay, but the rest of the team, I mean Castro struggling, Larnick struggling, all of them are struggling. Is it the weather or is it something else that we're not looking at here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to say.
Speaker 1: I was looking at it yesterday and the ops pluses were like, I think Castro is above one hundred, I think Warner was above one hundred. Everybody else, like Carlos care was minus seven going into yesterday in a three eighteen ops. He's had a little weird season because there's been a lot of hard contact that found gloves early on his exit velocity that first six games was up. He started to dial in far more and you could see it. Sunday, I think he had two walks in the single and then his bad against Ersig late in the game on Monday was fantastic. He struck out, but it was a twelve pitch at bat and he was just missing. And so last night, you know, he faces Reagans and doubles to center and the first at batan that's the only guy on the team.
Speaker 3: They even came close to touching Reagan's.
Speaker 1: And he had another double later, but then of course the double playball in the key situation happened. And it just feels like that's what's happened on the Twins so far as you'll get individual moments, but nobody is stringing hits together, and the offense is just They've had two really beginnings, but overall the group hasn't been very good. Missing Lewis hurts. You know, brooks Lee is on the mend and they hope he can come up and hit, and last year he didn't except for his first two weeks. They really need things to go well, Harrison Vaders leads the team in home runs and RBIs and he's been batting ninth most of the time or eighth in the lineup. So it just hasn't gone the way they want to. They really worked on this to avoid it in spring training. They put in a lot of different new tactics. Matt Borkshualte's their new hitting coach. They the first two rounds of batting practice this year were focused or all season ends mandatory batting practice on the field for everybody, But the first two rounds are focused on opposite way. Then it's line drives for the third round, and then it's kind of choose your own adventure in rounds four and five. And so they really have tried to do something to limit the fact where when they don't homer, they can find ways to score, and so far that hasn't really matriculated. But you know, for you guys that did floor to spring training, you know that it's really hard to get a ton of bats there. Like when you're in Fort Myers, the nearest team is the Red Sox ten minutes away, but then the next one is fifty minutes away, and you know, Arizona have like five teams within fifty minutes. So to get fifty plate appearances out of veterans is a really hard thing to do. The Twins had nine guys out of there thirteen with fifty plate appearances. Everybody played Carlos Carea is on the road, you know, an hour north. Veterans don't typically do that, but Roco really wanted them to be ready for the season and turn it around. And you know last year there were seven and thirteen over their first twenty. They wanted to avoid that and they were hoping the offense could do that. They got all their working. It just hasn't happened so far.
Speaker 5: You said mandatory, BP, Is this like a revelation? Is this like a rule on a team that didn't have rules? Or I mean you brought it up, so I have to ask, like, was it not mandatory before?
Speaker 3: It wasn't.
Speaker 1: So, Look, they talked a lot about how when COVID hit, you know, a lot of it was individual instruction.
Speaker 3: Guys were basically it was you were.
Speaker 1: Limited in twenty one to working with a coach at the time, and so a lot of guys got used to hitting indoors and they wouldn't necessarily Corella loves hitting indoors, like most of his work would be in the cage, and I think what they wanted to do was get the team together more and you know, observing and talking, hitting and more like a structured thing. So yeah, I think, you know, in the past, you look at the Twins, they've had a lot of veteran laden teams. Nelson Cruz was was the guy from nineteen to twenty one, and it was a veteran established team around them. Last year they brought up a lot of younger guys, and I think they wanted the older guys working more focused with the younger guys just.
Speaker 3: To keep things together.
Speaker 1: And that part's been interesting because you know it's early in the year, and yeah, no team is going to get two demoralized over a rough start. But there's been a ton of conversation in games where hitting has not been there, and you see guys, you know, taking notes and talking to each other and it's spirited conversation. They're really into it. So I think in that regard, they were looking to kind of keep the group together a little more, and I think that's actually worked pretty well. It's just the results haven't been there. But Yeah, absolutely, they changed everything to mandatory. The pitchers talked about how they didn't see the position players this year because usually they were spread out over so many fields, working with different coaches or in the cages and doing a lot of individualized drills. And I think you know that that just was sort of something that started with COVID and the industry, Like Derek Falvey said, it's something that's happened a lot in the industry.
Speaker 3: They decided to take it the other way.
Speaker 1: Matt borg SCHAALTI brought in some different ideas for what had worked in Baltimore and wanted to kind of prove it and see how it worked. And they're very satisfied with that aspect it. Again, they just didn't expect to be three and eight at this.
Speaker 5: Point because of the lack of moves. This is essentially the same roster from August tenth. Last year. August tenth, this team was on its way to the playoffs. They were going to battle with the Royals to figure out who's going to win the Central what's changed, What's changed? And I know sometimes different like players don't just fade out or age out in you know, the last month of a season. And then the beginning of another season. But something has changed or did you see it coming before August tenth.
Speaker 1: No, you know, Joe Ryan got hurt on August eighth last year, and on August seventeenth there were seventy and fifty three. So Correa is down at that point already with the planner fasciatus. He's actually looked great physically. You can tell that that's not bothering him right now. Buxton went down with a hip injury and missed twenty eight games. So they were already up against it with pitching when Joe Ryan went down, Like this was a team that went in extremely thin and they're starting pitching. Last year, Anthony di Scliffani was part of the plan. He got hurt in spring training, never threw a pitch for them. They were counting on Chris Paddock to throw like one hundred innings last year, coming off of eighteen in his first year back from Temmy his second Tommy John. He was done by end of June, and then when Joe Ryan goes down, basically it's Pablo Lopez, Bailey Ober and three rookies who all hit their innings limits. You know, early September and they were basically hoping to get five innings out of David Festus, sim And Wood Richardson and Zebbie Matthews, who had started last year in a ball so they knew what they were up against. An injuries just they sacked that team. I mean it was it was obvious Bucks and Korea got back for the last two weeks. It was just too late. A lot of their young guys were in slumped and couldn't get out of at Royce Lewis, you know, the last two hundred played appearances, I think had it under five hundred ops. He still ended up with like a seven to fifty ops for the season. But you know, he had been so incredible in June and July that I don't know, it's it's strange. You can see the makings of a decent team there. You know, ty France had a great spring and has hit the ball hard early. He's provided some steadiness, but it's it has not quite worked. And I don't expect Korea to be a three eighteen ops player. You know, his worst April was like six thirty six. There's a lot of area for him to go upward. There's a lot for Buckston to go back up. I don't you know this team is accustomed to rough starts, being seven to thirteen last year. In their eleventh game last year, they fell to four and seven. In that game, Korea has got an oblique injury and went on the il. They were already down Royce Lewis, and then they rallied and they had the twelve game winning streak and figured it out and were seventy and fifty three. So I think they can bounce back. The starting pitching just hasn't been what they'd hoped so far. Joe Ryan, you can tell that they are trying to ease him in after last year's injury. Bailey Over got sick before his first start, had something like flew like symptoms and lost eight pounds and got rocked.
Speaker 3: In Saint Louis.
Speaker 1: And he's gained six of those eight pounds back, but he only went four his last time out. And the rotation and the bullpen are supposed to be a huge part of this so far has not been. I don't expect that to hold, even if you know Chris Paddock has struggled. Even if they have to go to one of Festa or Zebie Matthews if that's the case, eventually, I think they have a lot more pitching depth that they should be able to rely on and get them back on track. The fact that they are sitting here with four and two thre average Indians from their starting rotation right now is kind of stunning because it was clearly part of the plan to keep them afloat early when the offense, you know, take its time to get it get on track.
Speaker 2: Dan, quick one for you here, because then I have another one on a topic that I think is juicier. But Susie has a question in the chat, said, can you ask why Rocco brought in Duran to face the bottom of the order and then Jacks to face the heart of the order in the ninth I mean, it looks like this year and going into you know, looking at last year as well, that they look at Jacks just as highly regarded as Duran and they pick a lane in the lineup.
Speaker 3: So that's the answer, right.
Speaker 1: It is, And it's not anything that they've ever They've always done this. They always have been matchup based. And I'm sure the relievers love that he because there's no guy that gets thirty saves right and saves gets you paid. But Griffin Jackson, they think very highly of him. I think that last year Duran struggled, and Duran has been throwing the ball well this year. But I think last year Duran Jackson times surpassing me. He was two oh three e ra A, seventy one innings, ninety five strikeouts. He was the guy. His slider gets in on lefties. He's dangerous. The damage that's been done on him so far this years had been on fastballs. So and it was, you know, Sunday was two pitches. He gave up the single and then the two run homer to Alvarez, who did dominated with fastballs up in the zone all series.
Speaker 3: And then Alvarez turned that one.
Speaker 1: But that's typical and Duran, if he throws the way he did Sunday, we'll see a lot more ninth innings.
Speaker 3: In fact, last night they reversed the rules.
Speaker 1: But it was Jack's getting the middle of the lineup and the hardest part of the lineup. They just they have a lot of trust in him, and they'll continue to have trust in him.
Speaker 3: So that's not atypical. They did it with Taylor Rodgers.
Speaker 1: They've done it, you know with everybody over the last couple of years, and it's all matchup based.
Speaker 2: So let's finish with this, Dan. We can and I'm talking we as in twins. Fans really can complain about what happened last year, the twelve and twenty seven collapse, I mean, right, and then years of staleness of nothingness from the front office blaming ownership and they can't get the team sold yet. Okay, we got all that. Let's go one layer down, front office. If you're giving a mandate on budget, why do you think they haven't gotten a little more creative with at least trying to mix and match. Like if it's me and I'm running a team and I know I'm not. I'm looking at the collapse last year and saying, got it, this is our hard budget. We can't go off of this.
Speaker 3: It is what it is.
Speaker 2: Right now, I'm going to try and do some things to switch it up. I'm going to do a trade that either really will work or not. Do you think that front offices in a state like this are scared of losing on a trade because putting the same exact team out there after that collapse, to me, was just not a good message. And I feel like this happens sometimes in baseball and it almost never produces a better result, Like one of the worst collapses in the twenty first century, What are they going to do about it? Roll out the same roster. So did you ever get any answers as to why they didn't do anything even to keep the payroll in the same range.
Speaker 1: I think they probably didn't get the value that they were looking for. They're known as a tough team to trade with, and I've heard that plenty, so I don't know that they got the value. I'm sure they would have entertained trading Joan Durant to somebody if they were in the market for a good reliever.
Speaker 3: They have a bunch of year three.
Speaker 1: To six guys that are affordable and talented, so they stuck with that group. And they tried to switch it up by doing the mandatory stuff, and they really focus on the picture or the position player side with that. And you know, they brought in Harrison Bader, they brought in Ty France, they made some moves on the edge. They brought in Danny Kolom to fill the left handed reliever role, and they added about fourteen million in payroll. But they knew they were largely bringing back the same team, and I agree it's hard to bring back the same band when they are twelve and twenty seven. But I think you know, they have that stretch fresh in their minds and fans because it's the same team just assume that this is a carryover for last year and it's not a new team.
Speaker 3: But what they looked at were the injuries.
Speaker 1: And I don't know that you're gonna get value for Royce Lewis, and you probably might have been trading him at a low point last year because of the way he struggled at the end and the fact that he's missed games. So in some ways, you know, you look at how the money is there. Carlos Korea takes up a big chunky and Byron Buxton are accounting for fifty million of a payroll that's like one forty one, and so there's a little bit of a limited wiggle room. But like if you trade Korea, right, and I know that New York Post wrote about this a few times, like that the Yankee should trade for Korea.
Speaker 3: That that's interesting.
Speaker 1: And yet if the Twins, they would have to have absorbed Yankee contracts to make that work right, you would have to take some bad Yankee contracts on why are you get the value of Carlos Korea, who could be a six war player if he's healthy, Like look at last year, he's All Star three fifteen at the break, fourteen homers, fifty RBIs. He was on pace for a six war season. If you trade his thirty six million and get it off the books, you're not getting the sixth war back. You're getting, you know, a bad contract and an older player, and then you have twenty million to make up the rest of that. That's I don't they're in a weird spot because of those big contracts and they're never quite gonna get the value. I think, so they were probably a little bit hamstrung. And again they're they're notoriously difficult to trade with. So I'm not shocked that they said we were injured and this is what we're going to run back. We're going to change things up and try to get better and keep the group together a little bit more, because I think they there were some fractures. You know, when we were here last time in Kansas City and September, Rocco called out the clubhouse for being unprofessional, and I think they really tried to light a fire under their young guys in the offseason. It's unfortunate Royce Lewis's out with another leg injury to start the season. He's probably not back for another three to four weeks. Brooks Lee's injury, they expected him to be, you know, backup second base, back, shortstop, even a lot of time at second base, and he's getting closer, but he's two games in on his rehabs. So it's always gonna be injuries with this team and can they get through them? And so far those have been you know, those have heard them a little bit because the infield looks a little bit thin. Aside from Carlos Correa and ty France right now, you've seen younger guys struggle, and you know, they expected Lewis and Lee to be part of that group so far, and it hasn't.
Speaker 3: You know, they haven't been here. Well, I just want to know this.
Speaker 4: When they signed Carlos Carrea, what was the big thing? They said, We're going to go around you, right and but they haven't done that. So is is there anything to like Carlos being like, maybe I am not that excited about being here anymore, because wasn't that a thing, Like, wasn't that a big thing when they signed Carlos, Hey, We're going to surround you with players. In the last couple of years, they haven't around.
Speaker 1: They their their payroll in twenty twenty three was their highest ever one hundred and fifty seven million, and they were looking to keep go, keep going that direction. Fans didn't respond to that team. They didn't draw two million fans. They won the division, and teams typically get bumps after they win the division by three hundred thousand fans. They drew fewer fans last year. Now that was fans were pretty angry about the thirty million dollar payroll cut. And I think that you turned your fans off, honestly, you know right now, the first three games they drew nine thousand fewer fans than they did in the first three last year. Well, last year, their Sunday game got rained out and they had a Monday against the Dodgers with fifteen thousand on Sunday. This year they drew fourteen thousand fans. That's just not great. Fans are kind of turning his team out and waiting for a sale. And I think that that's what's going to be the key. I think Korea probably.
Speaker 4: Wait on has that gone away?
Speaker 5: But has that gone away?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 4: The sale because about.
Speaker 3: Its slow, it's a slow cooking it.
Speaker 1: I think there is still interest, but this process, they haven't taken them off the market, and you know, it's definitely going slower than fans wanted. Fans wanted a new owner in by opening day, it looked like that was gonna be the case with Justin Nishbia. Then he decided to increase his minority stake in the White Sox and you know they are They didn't start from zero, but they had to basically get everything aligned again and that was you know, early February that we're talking about. So there's a lot of fan resentment it's not going well at the gate and the fact that they didn't when they finally spent two years ago, they didn't get fans out there.
Speaker 3: I mean that was not a good sign.
Speaker 1: When you know, increase your payroll that significantly and you bring Korea back on the biggest contract in club history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they blew it. They got a free vacation and spent it on nothing. Dan, thank you for joining us. Appreciate the time, always great insight, and we'll catch you again too, Okay, all right, guys, thanks