Speaker 1: Mental health is now talked about more than ever, which is awesome. I mean, I don't have to tell you that it's a primary focus of on Purpose, but on a day to day basis, many people don't know where to turn or which tools can help. Over the past couple of years, I've been working with Calm to make mental wellness accessible and enjoyable, or as I like to say, fun and easy. Calm has all sorts of content to help you reduce anxiety and stress, build mindful habits, improve sleep, and generally feel better in your daily life. So many bite size options from the most knowledgeable experts in the world, along with renowned meditation teachers. You can also check out my seven minute daily series to help you live more mindfully each and every day. Right now, listeners of On Purpose get forty percent off a subscription to Calmpremium at Calm dot com Forward slash j that's Calm dot com Forward slash jay for forty percent off Calm your Mind, Change your life.
Speaker 2: The first seven year years of our life, our subconscious is fully downloaded. We operate ninety five percent out of our subconscious five percent conscious. That's crazy. Nutritionist Melissa Goodman and She's helped thousands of clients resolves they're healthishness. Dehydration is really an epidemic right now. When you're dehydrated, nothing works right. It's not about detox and deprivation. It's about just feeding the body and nourishing it. Your body tells you everything.
Speaker 1: Hey everyone, I've got some huge news to share with you. In the last ninety days, seventy nine point four percent of our audience came from viewers and listeners that are not subscribed to this channel. There's research that shows that if you want to create a habit, make it easy to access. By hitting the subscribe button, you're creating a habit of learning how to be happier, healthier, and more healed. This would also mean the absolute world to me and help us make better, brighter content for you in the world. Subscribe right now.
Speaker 2: The number one health and wellness podcast.
Speaker 1: Jay Sheetty, Jay Shetty Selsy Only j shet Hey, everyone, Welcome back to on Purpose, the place you come to become happier, healthier, and more healed now. I love turning my offline relationships people. I'm a fan of bringing them onto the show and having the conversations where I'm speaking to a trusted expert. Today's guest is someone that I've followed on social media for a few years now, and anytime I have a question about a new supplement, a vitamin A product, this is the person that I go to to pick her brain to find out what she has to say about it, and considering I trust her so much offline, I thought I'd love to introduce you all to her online. I'm speaking about Alisa Goodman, who's an integrative holistic nutritionist. Alissa had issues with her health for her entire life, from cancer to autoimmune issues and hashimotos in her thirties, which inspired her to take control of her own health and the lives of people around the world. Alissa has created her own delivered EG kitchen cleans in La Alissa's EG Kitchen Cleans allows people to have nourishing, vibrant, healing food delivered right to their doorstep. Alissa has been seeing clients for a decade now and is part of the healing journey for thousands of people around the world. If you don't already follow her on social media, you definitely will after this. If you're someone who wants to work on your health, if you're someone who wants to get more connected with your body, and if you're someone who wants to know how to cleanse and detox, this episode is for you. Welcome to the show, Alissa Goodman.
Speaker 2: Thank you. What an introduction that was so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I have so much more I could say, but I stuck to the professional introduction. But we obviously have a wonderful personal connection too, I know.
Speaker 2: And I just I love what I do, so it comes easy as you can imagine, you know, I just I absolutely am obsessed with helping people get better.
Speaker 1: I can see that. I mean, anyone who follows you on social media will see it immediately, like it's so radiant, a vibrant, so true to who you are. And I think our audience is really going to find this fascinating because I don't think we've ever had a cleanse expert on the show before, and I wanted to start there, like, yeah, what is a cleanse expert?
Speaker 2: I know that's a great question because cleansing gets a bad connotation. I mean, detox cleanse is all about deprivation, starvation, and I would say that, you know, after I went to school, Integrated Holistic school, I became a cleans person for Cafe Gratitude M Cafe Erawuan, and I didn't know what it was, but I actually created these cleanses for these restaurants and handheld the cleansers throughout the five days or three days however long they were doing it and found out their ailments, what worked for them, what didn't work for them. One was vegan and one was you know, macrobiotic from M Cafe. And it was a beautiful thing because I saw in five days people can restore their body, reset their body, get better brain, you know, retention, better digestion, just weight loss in five days like crazy, so feel better, energy, mood, all of it. So it was really fascinating. I'm like, hm, there's something to this cleansing, and so I decided that it was those were a little bit more deprivation starvation. So I created a cleans nine years ago that wasn't about that. There's a lot of food on it. It's very anti inflammatory and it's giving you a lot of like fifty different vegetables and over five days, so it's super nurturing, nourishing, And that's what I'm trying to do for people is really introduce them to vegetables and plants and foods that are grown from the earth and taking away the inflammation. So that's what my cleans is all about.
Speaker 1: Why do people need to go on a cleanse.
Speaker 2: It's because most people eat unhealthy you know, they eat way too much processed food. They eat bad seed oils that are out there. We're eating out a lot. You know, we're stressed, so we're not even thinking about what we're eating. We're eating on the run. There's just like a lot. There's just the foods out there are have chemicals in them and are toxic. So I think that you know, everybody's like not feeling well, they're not energized. The brain fog is huge. Digestive issues are on the rise, autoimmune issues like we talked about cancer, you know, all of it, diabetes, and so they need to be reset. They need to have you know, someone kind of help guide them. And when you can deliver it to them so they don't have to cook it and don't have to meal prep it. It's the ultimate.
Speaker 1: How often do we need to go on a cleanse and how long does it need to be? How does that impact.
Speaker 2: That's also a great question because you can do my clans weekly. So because if you're it's mostly plant based, there is a bone broth, but if you're vegan you can do a vegan broth. But people have had a client on there for a year and a half and couldn't get off of it. Loved it until she moved to London. So she just like, it's just really healthy food. So it's really cleansing. Is it's not about you know, the detox and like like deprivation. It's about just feeding the body and nourishing it and giving your microbiome what it needs, the prebiotics, the probotics, you know, giving the cells what it needs. Plant based food is as you know, being what you know how you eat it, like, it really absorbs quickly into the system. Animal protein takes a long time to digest, and I do eat some animal protein, but plant based food goes through the system, absorbs really quickly and can give you energy really fast.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating to me, isn't it. Because I think a lot of us are walking around, as you said, not feeling well, not feeling good, and we start to think that's normal. And I remember feeling that way where I just thought it was normal to get a headache, or I thought it was normal to have calf pain, or I thought it was normal that my gut wasn't healthy. Like I was just like, Oh, that's normal. I'm getting older and I'm not even that old, and it's like you just keep thinking, oh, this is normal, it's okay, and you almost don't realize how good you can feel. And over the last couple of years, I've changed a lot about my diet, about my sleep, about my well being routine, and I feel better than I've ever felt, even better than five six years ago when I was younger. And you're someone that I think inspires so many of us in seeing how and I know you're working on a new book too, called Proaging Hacks and the Ability to Stay healthy for Longer. Talk to us about the moments in your life. As I was talking about in the introduction, You've gone through so much personal struggle and pain which has shifted you in this direction. So does that mean before that you didn't eat healthy and that you didn't care woke us through down Melissa Goodman that we don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. You know when I was born, I was born with this low white blood cell count so that was I'm going to be sixty four in two weeks, so after me, that's amazing. I was sixty years ago and no one knew about how to build the immune system. So like fast forward. I was sick all the time. You know, I had two parents that were really Type A, and as a teenager and a young twenty year old adult, they were running circles around me. So not only did I physically feel bad, so I was seeing a lot of sugar, caffeine, you know, just trying to keep my energy up, but also emotionally, I was a little distraught because I'm like, how are these older, you know, parents running circles around me and I can't even keep up with them. Mentally, it did a number on me, and so I kind of just like, you know, tried to keep up with everyone. And I was living the fast track. I was, you know, that's what I grew up with, making money, you know, being successful, move from Arizona to New York, you know, worked in the advertising business. Was just working around the clock, no sleep and really eating really poor alcohol entertaining all of that, and I just felt crappy all the time. And at one point when I met my husband and we got married. I said to him, We're moving west, and basically he was like New Jersey, Like, no, I go, no, We're going to California. I need sunshine. I need a slower way of life because I grew up in Arizona. And thank God for that, because when I landed in California and I got this fantastic job with Vogue Magazine, I was diagnosed with Hatchi's lymphoma. So I got all the accumulation of all my stress and not feeling well and eating really poorly was the cancer. And I was thirty two. Wow, I know, so I was. I was getting a massage. I like you were saying, I felt crappy all the time, so I didn't know what, you know, feeling good felt like. And I'm sitting there getting a massage with like sitting up right, and the messuse felt a lympho on my collar bone and she's like, that's not okay. You're not supposed to have a swollen lymph node there. And so basically next thing I knew it was cancer and I got really lucky. The messuse was fantastic to find it early. And then I found this doctor who I went to a radiologist who said, sat me down and was staged by that time, and he said, you know, are you happy? Do you love what you do for living? Do you love your life? Do you love yourself? You know? What's your stress? Like? What's your sleep? Like? That was thirty years ago. Doctors still don't say that today, which blows my mind because cancer is on the rise and all of these things. So like he he made me feel at peace, Like he goes, we got to get your emotional well being back in control and like get you to a better place, which I did. I dove into all of that, and then I dove I became a vegan, and I was really lucky. I was in California and there was missus Gooch's before Whole Food, so the food, you know, there was a grocery store that was beautiful and organic, organic meats. Everything was like healthy, farmed to a table. And then I went and juiced all the time. I juiced every single day and did all the modalities here yoga, you know, self help. Went to see a therapist and I got my shit together, thank god. And then I went on to have you know, two really healthy girls. And but after I did do some radiation. I chose not to do the chemo because of my immune system, and I knew my instincts told me that that was going to take me down. So I did half of the radiation. My oncologists fired me because he said, you're not doing what I'm supposed to, what I'm trying to tell you to do, and so I found someone to do half the radiation. And the radiation gave me hypothism, gave me hashimotos, celiac, all these other illnesses, anxiety, things that I hadn't had before, insomnia. So I basically like the radiation was awful, but I basically on to have the girls. And then eleven and a half years later, I my husband was diagnosed with cancer. So it's a crazy time. I mean, I got really healthy for that period after the cancer and for a while, and then I kind of went back into the unhealthy world a bit more. I didn't stay on that track, and so when he got cancer, you know, I realized, oh my god, two parents who have cancer, and watching him pass away in a year and a half, that's when I really took it seriously. After he passed away at forty five, I'm like, this has to be serious. And that's like basically when I realized, you know, I have to really get healthy because I didn't have any energy. I was like my stamina was low because life with him was really crazy for a year and a half in and out of the hospital. So and I watched him go from a healthy man to a very unhealthy you know, and pass away of fungal pneumonia. So the cancer didn't get him, it was his immune system. And I followed the protocols of like healthier eating and all those modalities when I was sick, but he didn't do that as much. He really was scared and that he just did what other what the doctor said. So it was like a very different story. So thank God, Like then that's when I took it a step further and I really started getting healthy. And so ever since now, you know, years later, almost eighteen years later, I feel better than I did when I was in my twenties. Wow, because of all the modalities.
Speaker 1: Thank you for sharing that, because I can't even begin to imagine what a challenging journey that is personally and then in a relationship as well. What have you found and what have you discovered as you've been studying because I think you know a lot of people will say, well, no, I need to get the radiation. I need to do what my doctors are saying. You obviously had a different confidence and an intuition around how you wanted to heal yourself. And I think ultimately it comes down to how people want to heal themselves. What have you found works at different stages? What have you seen across other patients who are struggling with cancer? Like, what have you seen? What have you witnessed and observed?
Speaker 2: It's been fascinating, Jay, because I have seen stage four heel cancer heal without using Western modalities, And it really is a mindset as you are tuned into. You know, it's distressing, it's like releasing trauma. It's really getting into your subconscious and rewiring. It is believing in yourself and having the confidence that you can heal from anything. I do believe you can heal from anything almost so I feel like we got to believe it, and most people don't believe they can. And most people don't believe that they love themselves. They don't admire who they are, they don't love themselves. Their self esteem is low. So I would say That is the biggest thing. When I ask clients all the time, you know, when they have cancer, do you love yourself? And they're like, no one's asked me that question, And I'm like, you know, that's something we really got to work on. You know, do you have peace in your life? Those are the things that totally change my life, all of those things, finding love, finding peace, you know, you know, not labeling myself as sick kid, because I had labeled myself and all the people around me as a you know, young adult. I was a sick kid because I was always getting sick. So we label ourselves, you know, when we have trauma in those early years, or we're just not in a good place, you know, growing up, we do label ourselves. And those are the things we've got to rewire. I have found that to be number one. You know, one of my favorite books, Radical Remission, Radical Hope by Kelly Turner, you know, the Heel documentary. All those things are beautiful in terms of like talking about that, and also just then I would say it comes to the food. Food is medicine, as we know, so people you know, eating nourishing, you know, vegetables, plants, you know, foods, that are grown from the earth. That's where you know, from the sunshine, like energy wise, that's a beautiful thing. I've always been a big juicer for thirty years and I've been juicing ever since. I've taken some breaks, but I almost can't live without it, and so juicee Greens has been, like, I think a lifesaver for me, you know, because I feel like that's my multi vitamin.
Speaker 1: Hey everyone, it's Jay here. My wife and I have had so much fun creating our own sparkling tea Juny, and I've got big news for you. It's at Target and we'd love your support. If you can go out grab a Juny, You'll be adding adaptogens and new tropics into your life with mood boosting properties aimed at promoting a balanced and happy mind. Through our commitment to our wellness journey and striving to fuel our bodies with the healthiest ingredients, It's been our purpose to make healthy choices accessible for all, which is why Juni is now on shelves at Target. So head to our store locator, I drink Juny dot com and find Juny at a Target near you. So let's break this down for people now, so that they can practice it. So you've been a juice it for so long, walk us through how to juice, what to juice, why to juice, and what the benefits are.
Speaker 2: I know, I know because there's a lot of like controversy about juicing. It's like all the nutrients are taken out.
Speaker 1: Of it, you know, correct, I'm hearing that a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the fiber and all of that. But you know, I was a purist, so I would juice and drink it right away, so I feel like, you know, I was able to, and I would do a cold press juice. I wouldn't do heat. So that's also the nutrients stay intact with the cold press, so I love that. Nowadays, I'm just throwing them in a blender because I do love the fiber so that you know, doesn't take out that. Also, the nutrients is fast and I love having all that fiber. So I think people just don't eat enough vegetables. I'm trying to get clients city cup ten eight to ten cups of vegetables a day, and that is their eyes glazed over, like how the hell do I do that? And juiceing you can get four to five easily throwing them in and I do cucumber, celery, lemon, ginger, spinach, super easy things and sometimes not so expensive. You know, people think it's like very arduous and got to have all those vegetables, and you know it could be easy. Celery is huge in terms of the minerals. Cucumbers, super hydrating, cleansing for the kidneys. Celery cleanses your gut, cleanses your liver. I mean, you know, spinach is full of iron, so ginger is you know, antibacterial lemon. I mean, they're just beautiful things. And I think it just wakes me up every day and like gives me and also how skin and digestion and all that. So I think it's a beautiful way to start the day.
Speaker 1: And you're having that fascon in the morning, that's that's what you have on an empty summit, right, and you've just done that for yours. Yeah, yeah, I found that too. I remember when celary juice became, you know, had its way a few years ago now, I feel, and I remember trying it out, and I've still not found something better than celary juice.
Speaker 2: So you just too straight celery juice.
Speaker 1: Generally, well, I'll probably do like celery with a bit of apple in it, just to give it a bitter sweetness, right, just to make it easy to do, yes, exactly, for me to enjoy it. Usually I would just stick to celery in the beginning, but then I was like, Okay, I need to enjoy this a little bit, and so a little bit of apple in it would be perfect, but just enough, just enough, not too much. And to me, that's been one of my favorite things that has helped my gut heel so much, and I find it to be such a powerful practice.
Speaker 2: So I read who brought the celery juice? Crazon was the medical medium, right, We've had him on the show yes and years ago. I was working with him as well, and he was the one who really did help me get past my autommune issues. So I started the celery juice like four or five years ago when it all just started, and you know, I was wondering, like, why is this celery juice so powerful? And I started clients on it as well, and I realized there was a like like a little bit of a trick to it in terms of it's super hydrating. And I find that hydration is like really an epidemic right now. Dehydration is crazy. And celery has is full of minerals, you know, and also like is great with probiotics and things like that, but the mineral content a celery is huge. So people are drinking a celary juice wondering like how am I feeling so good? But it's hydrating them. So people just don't get up in the morning. And I always say it kind of blows my mind. I say people, I have to have a mandatory of two cups of water, just sixteen ounces of water before their coffee or their tea or anything cafe caffeinated. And they're like, well, that's easy, but I don't do it. And then they call me back and go, well, that was life changing, just two cuffs of water. I'm like, you paid me to tell you to drink two cups of water. That's crazy. But the celery juice is the same thing. It's super hydrating. When you're dehydrated, nothing works right. You know, your adrenals aren't working, your cortosol and your adrenaline are rising. You know you're not going the bathroom regularly, your brain can't work. You think you're hungry, Like it really is like an epidemic and we have all this beautiful water at our fingertips, but we just don't have minerals.
Speaker 1: You know what, I've not actually thought about that. I don't think we've ever heard anyone say that so clearly, because again, like you said, it sounds so obvious, right, but most of us are not drinking close to enough water. And like you're saying, the minerals that actually come from the earth grown vegetables that naturally are filled with the impact with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the plants and like dooms and complex carbs too. People are kind of anti cars when they want to lose weight, but they're full of minerals, so when they also calm the central nervous system down.
Speaker 1: What are some examples of those?
Speaker 2: Those are legomes and beans, you know, and also like i'd say, some really good rice's quene wah, sweet potatoes, squash, all of those things, you know, wild rice, black rice. I mean, those are beautiful complex carbs also great for the guid as well.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yeah, what have you seen about because what we're really talking about here, like you said, the client that calls you up after doing it, and so I can't believe it worked. And I can't believe I paid you for that, et cetera, that that idea, it seems like and even for you, like you know, you went through this terrible experience yourself. You know, the radiation caused more challenges. You know, you go through the tragic loss of a partner like who's you know also suffering from this, and and you say that's what woke you up. And I think a lot of us, it's it's hard to think that a lot of us. And I guess that's why you do what you do, is you don't want people to wait for personal loss in order to get serious about their health and wellbeing. But if I find that as humans, we're so bad at changing our habits and we're so quick to forget even pain. And I remember this like not in not in an close to the extremes that you have had, but I've had different reminders in my health when my body's slowed down or fallen apart, or I've needed a surgery or whatever it may be. And it's so quick, like you know, a couple of months later, you're eating all the stuff again and you're just happy that you're back to being normal, and you just let yourself go again, and then again you get another wake up call. And for me, I think what really got me serious was last year I said them with my doctor I've had on the show, Darshan Shah, and when we looked all my bloods and everything, he said to me, Jay, this is not your fault because your diet seems to be good, but because of your genetic makeup, your predisposed diabetes and cholesterol, and so even though you don't eat fried food and oily food and you don't eat that much sugar comparatively, you're just more predisposed to it. And when I heard that, I was like, all right, got it, Like I need to now be serious about my health. And I feel like that was towards the end of last year where I just really got dialed in. But it's almost like a lot of us wait for pain in order to get proactive. And I guess the reason you do what you do is to not let people wait for pain, because that's just so painful and challenging. Yeah, what have you learned about habit change when you're working with your clients. What is it that really helps people change? What are some of the hacks, What are some of the habits that have transformed people's lives.
Speaker 2: That's so good, I know, because I think since COVID people are now starting to take their hells more serious. Thank God for that. And also you're right, like the diabetes is on the rise, Like blood sugar issues are crazy out of control. So like when I work with my clients, I would say, like you what you were saying earlier, you know, with next health and all of that is like I'm now doing blood work with my every client I do blood work on. I'm doing really thorough blood work. I'm even doing heavy metals, all the metabolic you know, thyroid, all the hormones, even if they're young, and I'm seeing such fascinating things. Everybody's blood sugar is too high. It's not pre diabetic yet, but it's very close. They're thyroids out of whack. Their insulin levels are too high, their quartersol is too high. You know, it's wild. They got heavy metals, so they're heading towards health issues. And I feel like that has been the coolest thing lately for me to be in the last year doing that because I'm catching these things before they get unhealthy. I know they don't feel good and they're lethargic, and they're not sleeping well, and they have hormone issues, but there's something behind it if they are eating healthy, you know, like there is something physical, like you found and that has been game changing. Like to be able to you know, get their bl sugar under control, to get their thyroid working again, to also get their hormones working better before they even go into menopause has been huge. So I feel like those you know, those things have been life changing. The blood work stuff and do it at once a year amazing and great for the clients, Like it's not expensive to do with me. Also then it it's about, you know, really one thing at a time. So like we talked about like maybe getting them hydrated the first week. Secondly you know, maybe getting them eating more plant based foods. Of course, the sleep is crucial, like people aren't sleeping enough, and also getting them sleeping better and helping them to sleep better. You know, there's a lot of modalities you know, in terms of getting healthy. But I don't want to overwhelm them, so I tried desperately not to overwhelm them, you know, with giving them too much off the bat. I mean, I am a supplement junkie. I've been like dabbling with supplements since I had cancer. Now it's a billion dollar business and there's too many out there, and there's a lot of crappy supplements out there. So I do feel really lucky that I've dabbled it in a long time, so I know what's good and what isn't. And I had to also deal with it myself. So I take a lot of supplements and I figure out what works for me and what doesn't, and I muscle testing them on myself and all of that, and I try to teach my clients to muscle test the some moments on them. What's a muscle Okay, so this is fascinating. You have never heard of this. I feel like I thought it next health they do that. Maybe not, but you actually stick a supplement like on your gut, or you can hold it and actually it's kind of like Eastern medicine. You know, either you hold your hand out and somebody pushes your hand down if you're with somebody, Okay, that's muscle testing. How you do it on yourself is you put it on your gut and you stand like kind of like try to balance yourself and stand upright, and then you say, hey, is this be complex right for me? And then your body moves forward if yes, and back if no, and then you say should I take one? Should I take two? And your body tells you everything. It's so in tune.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We were born with these incredible instincts, and we lose touch with them, right like we lose touch like along the way with all the things that have gone on in our life. And it's the same thing with food, with supplements, with what we need to do to heal ourselves and where we want to be in our lives is all instinctual. So the instincts are huge, So I try to teach them that as well.
Speaker 1: It's so interesting, isn't it, Because I feel like we've become so distrusting of our bodies. Yeah, because we've been told to trust someone or something else. And of course we do need guides, we need experts, we need doctors, you know. And I'm not discouraging anyone from any of those things. I'm just saying that I think claiming back some of that in the same way as when you eat something, you know whether your body is accepting or rejecting it based on how it's feeling. And of course, if your digestion is strong, then it gives you the best sense. Sometimes if your digestion is weak, it may not give you the best marker. But when you're talking about vitamins and supplements, walk us through in a practical sense, how does someone make a choice? What do they need to read on the back of a box or a bottle with vitamins and supplements, Like what should they be looking for and what should they be looking at? Make sense of it from a technical standpoint, not just the intuition standpoint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question, because you want to have as least fillers and additives in that supplement as possible. And so filler is like something that just fills up the supplement, you know, it's like a you know, crystalline cellulose is a is a filler. Not all the supplement is going to be the B complex. But they need other things, you know, to bind the bees, you know, for the for you to be able to digest them. So a lot of times, you know, or like it's expensive to have the supplement be all you know, liposolmals C or B or whatever, vitamin D. So a lot of times they add that the additives so that it isn't as costly. So it really is a struggle because a lot of people don't do well with these additives and they don't know that. So micro crystalline cellulus is one that's in a lot of supplements and it gives you digestive issues if you're taking too many. So you could see a lot of people supplements and they can all have microcrystalline cellulose. I mean it's wild so it or soy lesse than you know, or just these added just like in foods. You know, it kind of maintains the shelf life of the supplement as well. So it's hard to find supplements without that because they're costly and a lot of people can't afford that. So that's why, you know, I try to go more like with the food and that you know, lead with the food and then supplements come second. But there are some settlements out there that we absolutely do need. You know, Vitamin D is one of them. I mean since COVID, the studies that have been done on vitamin D and especially liposomal D because liposomal is a fossil lipid outside of a you know, supplement and basically is better to absorb easier to absorb like lipelsomal C and lepelsomal glutathia on all those things. And so basically, you know D. When you raise your D levels, you can lower your cholesterol. Actually, you raise your D levels, it's better for immune system, it's better for cognitive function. People don't realize that there's a vitamin D cell receptor in every cell in your body. So you know, there's that, it's omega threes, it's you know, it's magnesium, and like there's certain things out there be complex for stress.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. One thing I definitely didn't realize until I really got on a good regime of supplements and vitamins was just how much harder I was working to feel good like it was. I just thought it was a mental battle, and so I was fighting the mental battle every day with meditation and mindfulness and everything else. And then I realized I was like, actually, I would have been a much better meditator if I just took supplements of vitamins early on, because then your body's actually helping you with that focus and with the physical activity or movement and exercise, right whether it's hiking or sport or whatever it may be. And it's so funny now that you're naming all these things, I'm like, I've seen all these things on the backs and never known what that means. And it's so easy to just feel so uneducated. And I've definitely felt that way in this space. You know, without having good people around you, it's so hard to really know whether what you're doing is good for you or not. Walk us through like if we took a random stack of snacks right now, and I don't want to pick on any brands or anything like that in any way, but if you were to teach someone how to read the back of a snack pack, what should they be looking out for? Because this is something that I believe has changed the way I snack, and I generally, i'd say my diet is like maybe I don't know at this point, like five percent processed or packaged foods in any if that, probably when I'm traveling, I'll have like a protein bar that I travel with or something like that. But generally it's it's not I'm on the whole food's diet and everything else. But it wasn't that way before. I used to think that if I ate healthy snacks then that was okay. So I would eat package goods and the fifty percent of my diet was package goods, or maybe thirty percent. Walk us through what we should be looking out for, because I think so much is hidden on these.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the same thing as the supplements. You know, there's a laundry list of things on the back of the snack, you know, box or bag or whatever that you don't even recognize, right, Like it's just I mean, they're like, you know, certain dies that are bad for us, and like going back to the soy lesson than like soy lesson is really bad for us everywhere.
Speaker 1: It's so funny, I've pronounced that one for them my whole life now that you've told me.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love soy whole soy products, but you know, when it's processed down to that, it's bad. It's like the bad seed oils that's omega sixes and nines and like really causing inflammation. So again, if it's a laundry list of things that you don't recognize, like that kind of is a no go. I mean, you know, we'll let's talk about some of the things we know like plant milks, you know, they're they've been huge for years. Right now, there's think there's better healthier plant milks out there. They're just almonds and sea salt and water, like those are the things to look for, something that's just simple. Even the cheeses, you know, I do love some of the plant based foods and cheeses and some of the fake meats, but again they could have a lot of bad stuff in them. So it's like, you know, I sometimes you just got to go for the less is more. Even the protein bars too, you know, every so often it's not bad to have some of these things that do have these you know, all these things in them, because you're not going to be perfect. But I would say seventy five percent time, eighty percent of the time to try to look for, you know, those things on the back and just try to do things with less additives because your system doesn't know how to process, it doesn't know how to digest it. And the more you add these additives into your body, I think more toxic you become. And also the digestive system, like the digestive issues are crazy out of control. Like I created a digestive cleans because it's been like everybody has digestives. Everybody calls me like my every time I eat, I get bloated. You know, I can't eat anything now, or I can't go to the bathroom, like the constipation for days on end, like it's really crazy, or the other side of it, where they're going in the bathroom too much. That's an epidemic, like the hydration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're saying when you're looking at if you're outside, you're looking for snacks and products, it's like less ingredients, yep, simple ingredients and real ingredients, basically things that you actually know what they are. If you don't know what they are, right, that's probably a sign that And the problem is it doesn't taste as good though, no it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Know.
Speaker 1: I had a protein by the other day because I was an expo and I had a protein by and I was like, oh great, like this literally had three ingredients on it. I was so excited to eat it, and I tried it and it was so bad compared to the one that I've been programmed to love, which has all the other thirty things that you'd say I shouldn't eat and are not good for me. And it's so frustrating because I'm like I wish I was trained to believe that whole natural foods were tasty and healthy. Whereas because I've been so spoiled by my taste buds have been ruined by all of this other stuff that now feels captivating and exciting and tasty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most of America has, you know, right, I mean the sugar in these things. Like you know, there's a lot of sugar in these bars and in these milks and cheeses or whatever it is. Because things don't taste so great when they are on that simple side. You know, there's a lot of salt, there's a lot of sodium, so to make them taste better.
Speaker 1: Walk us through. So walk us through the core needs that people come to you so that you said they do it. There's a gut cleanse. Walk us through the different cleanses that cleansed in their life.
Speaker 2: So the regular cleans is really I'll tell you a little bit about what's on it. There's a detox tonic on it with coconut cafir, which is a probiotic drink. I am a big fan of probotics, and I love coconut kaffirs. Cocoa and there's a lot of great products out there on the market. Then it has chlorophyll, apple, side of anegar lemon, ginger and there, and then there's my homemade super seed bar. Then you basically get a bone broth or a vegan broth. Our bone broth is really gelatinous and so there's a lot of collagen, which I love. And then we get you get different salads for the week, different salad dressings, fermented vegetables. You get different soups for the for the nighttime, and then you get lattes for the evening. Then you also get digestive enzymes and you get magnesium, so to make sure that everything's working properly, because people going from an animal protein diet into a plant based legoos and beans can disrupt their stomach and also a lot of vegetables can as well. So there's that one. There's a three day so with that.
Speaker 1: One, wous So are you encouraging people to not have dinners in that is that this.
Speaker 2: Soup is dinner, yes, or they have super lunch and do the salad for dinner, So it's not super strict. A lot of people who exercise a ton will add a little bit of animal protein you know, to the meal potentially, and it doesn't take you away from the cleans. So again you're just getting tons of vegetables. You're getting anti inflammatory, you know, nourishing, nurturing foods, So that you know that one is like my regular one that has been going on for nine years. Sometimes it blows my mind because the Tonic's been on there for nine years. The bar has been on there, like it's crazy that things are still popular. People buy the tonics and the bars separately. And then the gut cleanse has activated charcoal on there. So what activated arcole? So I love activated tarcole because it lowers bacterial loads in your gut.
Speaker 1: Wait, how do you eat activated chocolate? You take a pill, right.
Speaker 2: You can. You can put it in a drink and you know, you get to put it in the detox onic or in water or whatever. But you take it's a pill. It's it's a very strong pill. And I have found when I had insulin resistant clients who couldn't lose weight, you know, weight resistant clients, their insulin was high, their gut bacteria was too high. So I would put them on five days of activated turcole and lower their insulin levels, which was like fantastic. So that's how the gut cleans came about. So they get activated charcoal, they still get the enzymes, they get the magnesium, but they get chia pudding, they get sour kraut, they still get the detox tonic. They don't get the bar because a little too much sugar. I don't want sugar for them because the bacteria. And then they get everything else that's pretty similar. And the nighttime is a tuls t you know that Holy basil is one of my favorites. It's anti inflammatory and great for the gut, great for sleep. So that's my that's the other cleans that I love. And so what I'm trying to do for people is really clean them out. Those clients are the ones that have a little bit of constipation issues, like aren't going to the bathroom regularly, and they're by the end of the week they're going two and three times a day. Wow, Like that's another crazy thing because people go, yeah, once a day. They that's considered constipated these days. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: So we'll us through that because that's always like an uncomfortable topic for you know, it's something that people don't talk about. But I mean, I don't think we've even we're getting to the point of understanding how important that the digestive system is and how often should be people going to the restroom, what what should be the healthy way of going about the area of their life.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, once a day is good, twice is great, three is perfect. So we really because we don't get enough fiber, because we don't get enough hydration, because we're stressed. Because when we're stressed, our digestive system completely shuts down. We are not being able to digest our food. So and also we're eating a lot of animal protein. So it takes you know, fourteen hours to get through the small intestine cow and animal protein, and ninety minutes for plant based food, which is crazy. So we're just so for plant based food it takes ninety minutes to get through the small intestine. For cow and animal protein, it takes fourteen hours. So we're you know, we're eating eggs for breakfast and chicken for lunch and salmon for dinner. Like, so we're just like, not that it's bad for you, but we're just we're not getting hydration, we're not getting fiber. You know, we're we're not doing the other things. We're not sleeping. Sleeping is very detoxifying and helping us with our digestive system. So yeah, so we're supposed to be kind of like an animal and going after every meal and people are a little bit like, oh, please don't tell me bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, I know. It's it's interesting how interconnected it all is though, Like you talked about hydration earlier, we're talking about the gut now. Like it's it's fascinating because it's almost like even for me. I was talking to a friend about it this morning and we were just talking about like we're like, okay, we want to get proteins, but then if I'm eating this because as a plant based person, to get proteins hard, it's also that way around, right, So you're trying to get a protein in your diet, but then it's like, well, maybe that particular item doesn't sit well with my gut and doesn't make me feel good, and so you're also finding that as well. Right, Like it's it's not as simple as like, well this is really great for everyone, right, It's so individual.
Speaker 2: It's not a one size fits all, right, and I do believe in you know, if you're vegan, I can help someone get enough protein or vegetarian or you know, animal protein. For me, I grew up eating animal protein, so I you know, I feel like I need that, and I feel like as i've aged, I feel like I need more amino acids. But sometimes it certain animal proteins don't agree with me. So I do take digestive enzymes before I eat animal protein so I can digest it.
Speaker 1: So I mean, well, do you take your digestice.
Speaker 2: I love this enz of Metica digest gold at pro is one of my favorites. It's on the cleanse, but you can also get it from apple side vinegar. You but also get it from bitter greens like daniline, greens of arugula, en dive ridiculo. So sometimes I'll just take a handful of arugula before I eat a meal. It's really crazy, and I'll wake up your enzymes really yeah, I know. Or after a meal, if you kind of have a digestive issue, you could take some arugula and eat it. I know it sounds very strange, but or have some apple cider vinegar, or take an enzyme after the meal. It doesn't have to be before the meal. So know a lot of tricks that people sometimes don't know because digestion can be an issue. And I also don't overdo the animal protein, Like I'm not having like eight to ten to twelve ounces of something, you know, I'm having like three to four ounces, so that's like, you know, thirty forty grams of protein. So I feel like nowadays protein is the hot topic. Like you know, some people feel like you need to get a gram per body weight, but I'm really someone who feels like, you know, seventy seventy five grams for women is great. So that's kind of easy to do.
Speaker 1: And of course it impacts based on your workout.
Speaker 2: Exactly and everything else. Yeah, yeah, and hoping that you do digest you know, what you're eating, that's important.
Speaker 1: I've found that adding in the beginning, adding protein to my diet felt heavy on my digestion, but actually it's now led to better digestion. But it took. It took this like transition point where I was like, God, that's really heavy, Like it's harder to digest in the beginning, Yeah, even though it should be helping me. But then I feel like it's it's just staying committed to it. My digestion's got used to it. Is that natural? Do you find that that's.
Speaker 2: The same with legooms and beans because people will go on the cleans and be like, I can't eat likeagoms and beans. They're not used to that because they're animal protein eaters, and most of us have been animal protein eaters. I feel like most people I talk to they just don't. They feel like big beans and legooms are gassy and are hard to digest, but the more you eat them, the easier they are in the system. Yeah, your digestive system gets you know, used to it, right. It has kind of wild.
Speaker 1: What are some of the biggest mistakes you see people making when it comes to the health and wellbeing that you've kind of noticed as trends over the years that these seem to just be the things that trip people up.
Speaker 2: That's such a great question because there's so many. But I would say, you know a lot of people are over supplementing interesting. Yeah, they are, like on social media TikTok or Instagram, and they're seeing all these influencers who are great at what they do, but they're promoting all these different products and they have no idea if that product is right for them, so they're buying it. So all all like see cupboards and like suitcases of people who have all these supplements and they're taking them and they don't feel good. They're not really making them feel better. So but the the person who's promoting is that this is gonna have this is going to change your life, right, So that's huge. Also, like what's also hard is basically like following the prototo like gluten free, you know or not everybody needs to be gluten free or like dairy free or all of those things, so you know, or they're not gluten free. The other side of it, you know, they're just not like eating, like they're not taking gluten. Now the diet because it's inflammatory or dairy or sugar. Sugar is a huge one. So people really feel that sugar. You know, they can have a little sugar, some people can't. So I think food wise, it's like there's so many misconceptions of what they should or shouldn't be doing and they should be gluten free or not or dairy free or maybe like you know, should they be could they have some sugar or not? Just it depends on like what their blood sugar is, what their gut is happening. I'm seeing a lot of that the supplements. I also see that people are overexercising too, like they're like doing Berry's boot Camp and spin Claus and their corsal and adrenaline is so high and they're so stressed and their adrenals are fatigued, and it's just making them more tired.
Speaker 1: That's why you have to be observing the three sixty. And that's what's so hard about it, because you could look great right and then still feel terrible and be super stressed out because it's kind of like, I mean, we were having this conversation offline, which you know, last night I played pickaball for two hours. It was super physical. I think everyone's uh, you know, everyone's fitness tracks said that we burnt like one hundred calories last night playing for two hours. But I came back and my body temperature was really high, and so when I got into bed, and as I was telling you, my AC unit wasn't working, so I couldn't lower the temperature in the bedroom and my house gets quite hot, so I had a high body temperature and the temperature of the room was probably like seventy eight, which is super high. And so then now it was so hard for me to sleep. And I remember, while I struggling to sleep, I just started researching body temperature and why it was hard to sleep and all the rest of it. And that's all I was saying. And I was thinking, this is so interesting because I could be thinking, oh, it's because I'm stressed about something or I've got loads on and it's like, well, no, it's just body temperature and the temperature of my room. And it's challenging because I think that, you know, food is such a source of joy, It's such a source of excitement for so many people, and yet now when you start really getting into it can become such a source of stress and such a source of pressure. Like oh my god, I'm meaning too much of this, I'm meaning too little this, Like oh no, I didn't meal prep this week, and oh no, now like I didn't get it. Oh I forgot to take my vitamins. Like I think we're so stressed about being healthy. How have you made sense of that? Because I can find when i'm you know, when I'm having this conversation, there's a part of me. I've been through the ups and downs of that where I've been like God, I hate dealing with my health right because it's so stressful. And now I'm in a better place with it. But that's taken a long, long, long, long, long time to even recognize that healing journey of realizing I'm doing this because I love myself. I'm doing this because I believe in myself. I'm doing this because I love my body, I love my heart, I love myself, which is why I get to do this. But that has taken a long time, even for me. So walk us through how people can balance that stress to be healthy when it should be making us less stressed.
Speaker 2: I know, that's another good one. It's just like this over supplementing and like you know, you walk into Airwan and you like talk about stress. There's all this you know, healthy beautiful food, and you don't know what to choose, right, It's like, oh my god, Like there's so much out there. It's just overwhelm and I feel like, you know, you've just got to get back in tune with yourself and you've got you know, you can't overdo anything. I think you've got to go back to the basics. You know, you just got to go back to eating real food. Try to do that. You've got to know if the supplements are disturbing, you just do less. Just do the basics of what you need. You know, a multi vitamin, vitamin D, magnesium, just simple things. You've got to hydrate, you know, you got to sleep. Like just like you can't like get all worked up over these things because you're right, you're not going to do them. You're just like not going to do them. Like I find people just being like this is way too much. You want it to be simple. You want them to feel better, you want them to see results, So less is more. And I feel like, you know, we have become a society where we're doing way too much and we just we got to pull back. We got to just we got to believe in ourselves. I think, you know, with the meditation, Like I'm a huge meditator, and that's so helpful for me because I'm a type a personality and I'm always like go, go go, and I got to get shit done. But when I pull back and I meditate and I do yoga and I chill out, like then everybody, my mind tells me what I need, you know, because I could do that too. I can oversupplement. I can, you know, be really like uptight about why I went to this restaurant and they didn't have gluten free pizza or you know, or wild damon. I remember ordering that stuff and my whole family be like, oh my god, we can't eat with you because you're such a pain in the ass. But now I'm just like, Okay, who cares, you know, but I do. You do have to kind of like get back in touch with and reconnect your mind with your body and be like, Okay, what works for me? You know, I can't like you can't. You can't go crazy about this stuff.
Speaker 1: How have you allowed yourself to fall in love with yourself and your body and your heart and your mind again and again and again. When the body gets older, it changes, it transitions, it shifts, like what what have what has been like your what has been your your inner practice to keep that?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: It's I'm asking, yeah, yeah, this is.
Speaker 2: A question, Yeah, this is this is fascinating. But you know, when I did figure it out, like at fifty eight years old, I did plant medicine, so I did psilocybum and journey, and I really did see what my subconscious was doing to me. My subconscious was, you know, still labeling me a sick kid, always fearful. I was looking over my shoulder that another illness was going to come along the way. I was never going to be healthy. I didn't even know what calm or self love felt like, you know. So that really I saw what I was doing to myself. And I also felt a sense of peace and calm with that. So once I was able to release all of those you know, subconscious feelings that weren't working for me anymore, I grabbed onto the ones that I was like, Okay, I want that calm, I want that self love more. And that's what really got me in touch with it. And then that's when when I meditate, I can go back to that place where I was when I did some plant medicine to get me past that hump. I had done a lot of therapy, I've done a lot of reiki, a lot of meditation, and a lot of energy healing crystals, all the stuff, But that was really the place that put me over the edge to really get me to a place where I could recapture, you know, and really find that calmness and happiness, and like that's felt so incredible, that feeling. So I journal a ton, you know, I do have to journal and talk about what frustrates me during the day to let go of it, and then I talk about what I'm grateful for. That's huge. The meditation's huge, the yoga's huge. Just like also getting out in nature is absolutely huge. I mean we haven't talked about this at all, but you know, and you probably do this, you know, getting out in morning sun is a practice that is just incredible, Like it boosts your moon. It actually helps with depression, you know, it helps with immune system, it helps lower blood sugar and blood pressure, and it's like a beautiful way to start your day. The sun is so incredible. So that those are and then I just feel like so hopeful because the sun comes up every day, right, you know, it goes down, it comes up. It's like, okay, everything's going to be okay.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to the plot medicine point because okay, I love hearing that and I want to dive into that with you.
Speaker 2: I didn't know if that was something I could talk about.
Speaker 1: Of course it is. Yeah, for someone who doesn't know what a plant medicine journey looks like. Yeah, like walk us through what that journey looks like.
Speaker 2: So it is psilocybum mushrooms and I've done ayahuasca, psilocybum, bunch of plant medicine, and I did it with a shaman, a one on one, which was beautiful because I recommend that because there's a lot of things you want to manifest and like let go of Where did you go to do? I did it at home actually with the shaman came to me and and so it was a friend of mine, and there was just a lot of stuff I was dealing with in some insomnia at the time, and so he came and we kind of manifested what I wanted to release. And when I was on the journey with the with the mushrooms, he would talk to me and say, hey, how are you feeling? You know, what do you think of this? You know, when you were sick or when you had cancer your husband died, I mean, and I was like, you know, wow, that was a really difficult time that I haven't let go of those thought patterns and the fear I haven't let go of that. So it was so he was like Okay, what does it feel like if you were to let go of that? And I'm like, can I let go of that? Is that like possible? And he's like, absolutely, you can get to the other side of this, because you know, the first seven years of our life are subconscious is fully downloaded, and then you know, those thought patterns keep repeating themselves in our subconscious and we operate ninety five percent out of our subconscious, which always blows my mind, Jay, because five percent conscious, that's crazy. So I mean, that's that's what it did. He would write down, you know, things I said and just how I was able to release them. And once I was able to release them, Jay, they didn't come back like it was like. The things that came back was the feeling of the peace and the love and like not wanting to beat myself up and like be hard on myself and be I was a perfectionist too. That was part of the protocol. I think that got me sick. And so that perfectionism, you know, find somewhat left me. Probably not one hundred percent, but a lot of it did.
Speaker 1: You're taking the plant medicine, someone's guiding you almost like in a therapy session, guiding you through questions and helping you become aware of where some of these blocks may be, where some of these challenges may be. I'm breaking it down for everyone who may may be unaway. And then what does releasing in that session look like? Like what what is that? Is that a feeling? Is it a visualization? Is it? Is it you trying to let go? Like? What does that? What does that look like in the session? And then we'll talk about.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, that's a good question too, because it could be a like it could be it's a purging, it's you know, you could hysterically cry because it's like it's an emotion that you've hung onto for many, many years and you know, repeated these thought patterns, So it could be crying, it could be screaming. It could be you know, just like this feeling of Wow, I can't believe I've done this to myself, And I would say that, you know, it's more like that, just the feeling of sadness and and the crying and the like some maybe yelling like God, damn, I can't believe, Like how was I so hard on myself? Like I don't need to be that hard on myself. You know, I didn't need to do that to myself. So it was like, you know, and then he was He's amazing. He was there to like hold me and support me and just really like you know, I just love and help me breathe through it. And once you kind of like are able to be like, Okay, I don't want that anymore in my life. And then you breathe through it and you're able to breathwork is like you know, I'm sure you've done. Breath work is incredible. You can actually in breath work, you can feel like you're on plant medicine a lot of times. So you know, breathing through it and releasing it through breath work is a beautiful thing. So that's kind of how it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now you feeling or seeing both.
Speaker 2: You could see yourself in a distance like what you do to you know, it's almost like an all you know, another your look at yourself. Yeah, you're feeling it and you're seeing yourself in a distance. You know, how you're reacting and interacting, and even if you're interacting with other people, you know, even people in your family or things that have gone on, you can actually see it. It's kind of wild. Now, it's not for everybody, no no.
Speaker 1: No, no, for sure, I've I've known many kinds who've worked with it and found it to be useful as well. I think it's important to share because I want to ask when you come out of it, like when, when the when, the when the session is over, how much have you found that you're able to, what are you holding on to? What do you take with you? And what still stays the same, Because as we know, it's you know, no change is ever miraculous or immediate, So so what do you take with you and what still exists and is a process.
Speaker 2: That that's beautiful too, because what I took with me was that sense of calm and like self love and what I wanted to have more in my life. But I did also take away, you know, the part of how much I was beating myself up, and you know how hard I was on myself and what I had and why I think I had gotten all these illnesses and why I had gotten the cancer, and just why I was at the place I was in my life where I wasn't getting what I really wanted ultimately, whether it also was with relationships or you know, intimately, like all those things were really important to me to find, and you know, there was blockages, so I realized like it was really cool to be able to journal about those blockages later like, oh my god, I want to release that and I kind of had to do that, and I still have to do that. It's not a miracle cure. I still in my life have to be like, Okay, I need to release you know that thought pattern. I still kind of walk around a little bit with it, but not to the same extent. When I did the journey, I was unconscious about it. Now I'm conscious. That's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, It's that awareness. Yeah, you know where something came from? Yeah, what was it for you? If you don't mind sharing, what was it that you found when you asked like that's why I believe I'm going to get sick again, or that's why I got sick in the first place. Where where was that coming from?
Speaker 2: That was coming from like growing up? Because when I was I was sick all the time, and my mom, you know, labeled me a sick kid, and she would always be like, oh, there she is again sick. You know, like, well we got to be really sensitive with her because you know, she might get sick, and so I kind of just you know, followed that, you know what she said, and I that's where that's really where it came from. It was those years, those early years of always being you know, not feeling well.
Speaker 1: And then and you're saying that also helps you then deal with challenges that come today. Yeah, like that awareness helps you make sense of different things that come up now.
Speaker 2: And also with my clients, not only for myself it's changed my life completely, but my clients. I can see that happening for them, you know, because I've been through all these health issues and because I was, you know, in the subconscious thoughts of these repeated messages that weren't working for me. We talk about that. You know, I'm like, Okay, what is going on with you that's blocking you? Because there's something blocking you from getting healthy or wanting to heal or a lot of the cancer ones. You know, we talk about those things. And also they're also like, no one's asked me that, you know, no one's asked me what my blockages are or you know, what's going on with me? Like did anything happen in those first seven early years of your life that maybe was traumatic? Jay all of them had like death, divorce, you know, or someone was mean to them. You know, they didn't and then they lost trust and faith in the universe sort of you know. I know it's a little woo woo, but they did. They lost faith in like you know, know that they didn't have what's in them to be able to overcome it. And I think like that has been like a beautiful thing for me working with clients and helping them heal. I can't I'm not trained to get them past it. You know, someone like you can get them past it to some degree, but you know, it's like that work of you know, diving into the subconscious. And I also I work with a hypnotist that's beautiful and some energy healers that are wonderful too, and I'll send them to them as well if they need to like do the extra work, and most of them do.
Speaker 1: What do you find those modalities support? And by the way, I agree, I think, I mean, you know what we're really talking about today, And I encourage people to follow their own intuition and guide as to what speaks to them because as it's almost like as you grow and learn more, you realize how much there is still to explore and how everyone's so different, and you know, everyone needs a different way to become aware and a different way to become conscious. Like I found a lot of my personal awakening and consciousness in meditation and being with my teachers and listening for hours and study and practice. And then I meet people who needed a you know, moment of revelation through plant medicine, or I meet people who found it another way, and I just realized everyone is so different, and everyone's trauma is so different, and everyone's healing journey looks so different, that we can't close the door on any of these modalities because and I always say that, like sometimes people ask me like, would you be open to this? And I'm like, if I needed something, if I was trying to unblock something, I'd be open to anything, because I should be like, why should I close off from any opportunity for healing that I need just because it may not be as common or as or as marketed or whatever whatever the right word is. But but for you, I guess the question I was asking is when you're we're talking about this like three sixty degree approach, when you talkalked about hypnotism and what was the other modality just mentioned energy? Healing energy specifically with hypnoism. Where does that modality plan to everything we've talked about today? Like what is because again I think it sounds so mysterious and maybe like you said, woo woo, but like, what is the point of that modality is? I guess the question I'm asking.
Speaker 2: So I feel like some hypnotists that are really good are able to tap into your subconscious as well, So a little bit like therapy, but you know, it goes much deeper than talk therapy. The hypnotists that I work with, she's able, like I'll talk to her about something that is bothering me or I can't sleep about, and she's like, oh, this is what's like at the root of your issue. And I'm like, how did you know that she can like dive in and see like this is what's bothering you. So that's what I find is really helpful. And then she'll do a meditation specifically for me. So I've had tremendous amount of client's go to her or to a hypnotist that's really good, who don't eat healthy, who don't exercise, who don't sleep well. So then they'll go and she's able to get them to sleep well. You know, she's able to find out what is causing them not to sleep well, and she's able to get them to eat healthy. Like it's kind of crazy. They'll wake up the next day and automatically start thinking about eating healthy. Now, I have to tell you that this doesn't last. So you have to listen to our meditations again, or see her again, or you know again. It's like a practice.
Speaker 1: Well, because basically what you're saying here is that we're reap with every decision thought choice we make is simply a programming of our subconscious and we've created a subconscious pattern since we were born that has led us to where we are now. And if we don't like where we are and we want to shift it, we have to reprogram our subconscious mind. And that requires under standing your thoughts, self awareness, journaling, meditating, reflection, and then if you need it, plant medicine, hypnotism, what you know, just just the plethora of options there, because I think what we get stuck with is we believe that our current set of habits are who we are, right. We think that the way we eat now is who we are, and what we need and what it needs to be, not realizing that it is simply a programmed pattern that you adopted at one point in your life and you started to believe it was you right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, absolutely, Like that's that's what's so fascinating. I think about what I get to do because I do find that, you know, people do feel like, you know, this is where I'm going to be. This is what I know. This is you know, I'm not going to ever get past here. I might get a little better, but I might not get great. Yes, And I'm like, what's with this little better? You need to be great? Like I feel that way with my life. At sixty four, I feel great. I feel better than I did when I was in my twenties. So I want people to like know that, you know, when I say how are you, I want them to say great, not I'm just okay. So yeah, that you know, all of those patterns that they learned, some are luckier than others that have better patterning and you know, better upbringings in terms of just like healthier lifestyles and maybe not. So you know, they were more secure and you know, self awareness earlier on in their life, which is lucky for them, but a lot of people that I work with weren't. And like you, it's never too late to change, you know. I feel like, you know, we're there's a lot of years to live, right, I mean, my mom is ninety four, I know, so like she's going strong and I'm like, I hope I'm ninety four and going strong like that, you know, but it takes work to get there and to do that, and I feel that's really just all of this, I want, you know, the modalities are endless out there, as you know, you know, like anti aging and just all of the new stuff and the stem cells and the you know, NAD and just everything cold blune and just all of it is a beautiful thing. Infrared just getting us healthier and healthier. So I mean it's a lot to like learn, but it's kind of cool that, you know, we're on the precipice of all these beautiful things that can really turn back the lock absolutely.
Speaker 1: Have you ever talked to your mother about the sick kid label?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah, And you know it was beautiful because she did apologize. She's like, you know, I didn't know any different and what she didn't, you know, she didn't know, and I think that you know a lot of us like taking care of people too, and she loved being able to take care of me when I was sick too, and I felt I felt nurtured in those times as well. So I got a little something out of it. Wasn't all bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, Alyssa, it has been such a joy to talk to you today, and honestly, your personal journey that's led to so much professional service and love and support for so many people, and the amount of insight that you've given today, I think everyone's going to be able to take away. And this is what I would encourage everyone to do. Is Alyssa's shared so much great advice today. Find just one thing that you want to practice for the next seven days. It may be to eat more whole foods. It may be to cut out sugar. It may be to research a bit more about inflammation and learn about it. Like I think, just pick one thing that resonates with you that you want to try and up level your life with. It could be getting your vitamin D right, it could be sun exposure, whatever else it may be, and start there and just feel the confidence shift from doing one thing per week and then keep adding more and a lot can happen. Alyssa and every episode of the podcast with a final five. Theys fast five have to be answered in one word to one sentence maximum, and so they cat that way. So Aliza Goodwin, these are your final five. The first question is what is the best advice you've ever heard or received.
Speaker 2: To love yourself? To learn to love yourself beautiful?
Speaker 1: Second question, what is the worst advice you've ever heard or received that.
Speaker 2: You're never going to get better, You're not going to heal.
Speaker 1: Question number three, what's something that you used to believe was true about good health that you don't think so anymore.
Speaker 2: I used to believe that just sleeping was going to get me healthy. You know, good sleep was gonna get me healthy. Talk to me about and it's not just that anything, right, It's not just one thing. It's a combination of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we're always looking for that one thing. We all want that one miracle. Drag like, what's that one thing I need to do that's going to change my life? And yeah, it's three sixty. There is no one, Yeah that makes sense. Question number four, what's the first thing you do every morning and the last thing you do every night.
Speaker 2: The first thing I do every morning is probably journal and journal about how I want my day to look like, and the same thing at night to release the stress.
Speaker 1: Wonderful and fifth and final question, if you could create one law that everyone in the world had to follow, what would it be?
Speaker 2: I would say, just be kind to yourself and others, you know, really understand, try to understand that people are going through a lot in their life, and to not judge right away, you know, to have some self compassion for yourself and the others that you're with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I couldn't agree with you. I really, I really believe that the reason we judge others so harshly is because we're so harsh on ourselves and we haven't found the ability to show ourselves that self love, that compassion, that empathy, and so it's so difficult to show it externally to people we've never met or don't know. And yeah, I love that. Listen. Is there anything that I haven't asked you that was on your heart and mind that you really want to share that you really feel like it's your call to right now or feel intuitively is important and you don't have to have anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think we did touch on it, you know, just ending with the fact you know that you you know, life can get better in every way emotionally, physically, spiritually. You know. Don't give up on yourself. It's probably my biggest you know, don't ever ever give up on yourself.
Speaker 1: I love that. I mean, you're a great You're a great spokesperson for that for sure, And I love that end. I think it's so easy to be like, oh my best days are behind me, it's all going in the wrong direction now, or you know, whatever it may be. And I mean, just sitting with you and hearing from you today, I can tell just how real the opposite of that is for you. And it's aspiration or inspiring for me for sure, because yeah, you continue to live an exciting life and know that there's so much more life to live, as opposed to accepting that this is the end or this may not be. And I think it's really interesting. I was talking to a friend about this, this idea of how we often think we manifest bad things, kind of like your sick kid approach, Like we often think like, oh my god, I did this to myself. And I was talking to a friend about this and this idea of like, well, if we can do that to ourselves, then we surely can do the opposite. I just want to get your sense on that.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I know that that's a big that's a big thing happening out there. I mean, you know, I'll just I kind of I need to plug my two girls who are my inspiration in my life, and you know, I feel like I like manifested the relationship with them, Like I can't live without them, and I look up to them and I admire them, and you know, I want to be here to be a spokesperson for them so that when they have bad days and they say maybe something like that, hey, I think I manifested this bad stuff to happen. I'm like, no, you can change that. You know, you can manifest the good stuff in your life. And that really drives me every day is to be able to like hopefully be there for them to help them manifest the good stuff. Yes, I know that a lot of people feel like they manifest the bad things, but you're right, you can totally change it around. And you know, I and they're young, and I definitely didn't have the awareness they have in their twenties.
Speaker 1: I wish I did.
Speaker 2: I'm really bummed about that because I am really in awe of how they function and operate, and you know how quickly they can turn things around for themselves. And I think they've been through a lot. Probably that's why. But yeah, the manifesting the good stuff. I want them and you know, when I'm not here later in my life, you know, I want them to be able to be able to do that easily.
Speaker 1: I love that. Well, I think you've set them up for amazing success.
Speaker 2: They set me up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I didn't start talking about them because they could spend the whole time. I know, Jordan's true. Yeah, but thank you so much to listen for coming on to on purpose. Everyone's been listening and watching. Make sure you share your favorite insights moments. I mean, today was a full three sixty degree conversation. We went from gut health to detoxing, the cleansing to plot medicine, and it's beautiful when this happens. And I hope that you're introduced to new modalities. I hope that you allow yourself to be open to new approaches. Again, we're not recommending that there's one right approach or a wrong approach or however, the point is to give you a menu of options and ideas and opportunities, because the biggest loss in life is feeling like you only have one way to do something, and when that way doesn't work, or you've tried it a lot and it still doesn't benefit you, that's when we mostly give up. And I think recognizing that there's a whole variety of options, ideas, insights, expertise out there actually fills you with more confidence that you'll find your way exactly. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me put an honor.
Speaker 1: That's a joy. Thank you. If you love this episode, you'll enjoy my interview with doctor Daniel Ahman on how to change your life by changing your brain.
Speaker 3: If we want a healthy mind, it actually starts with a healthy brain. You know, I've had the blessing or the curse to scam over a thousand convicted felons and over a hundred murderers, and their brains
Speaker 2: Are very damaged.