Speaker 1: Don't all jump at once. It's crazy when you heard.
Speaker 2: Brock had been cleared. You guys had some incredible chemistry last season and this year.
Speaker 1: Yes, continue just happy for him.
Speaker 3: You know, getting hurt sucks, uh, spinning like an entire offseason, just grinding every single day, showing up and doing like all the little like and just like focus on rehabbing and not like being able to improve your game. It's frustrating. But you know, he did a great job. Our training staff did a great job. And the fact that he's cleared now and available to us, and I think he gets to practice tomorrow. Hey, that's awesome for the Niners. You know, I thought our quarterbacks played well to day, so you throw another good quarterback in the mix, and hey, now we had a plethora of quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Can't wait.
Speaker 2: Look like he's improved from the offs from last year to this year. What have you noticed specifically about his improvement or where.
Speaker 1: Is he improved?
Speaker 4: In your mind?
Speaker 3: Just today in this one practice. I know I'm dumb teasing what I've seen since you know, last season throughout Otias today. I mean, you can just he has a confidence to him, like he doesn't look at second guessing himself. He doesn't look like he's you know, thinking about the plays at all. Plays call. He knows what it is. He steps in the hall with confidence. And if you can just do those things just gives you, you know, an opportunity to go be great because you're not thinking about anything else.
Speaker 1: So he steps up there. He has some good balls today, threw them a well.
Speaker 3: I loved on a third down pocket broke down, Escapes gets the first down with his legs, Like, that's what we wanted to do. We wanted to, you know, use his athleticism to make plays. And you know, it's just what he's doing. And I said, having fun. Confidence makes me happy.
Speaker 1: You enjoy talking about quarterbacks. Answer your questions analyzing quarterbacks. That's great, Grant. Hey twenty twenty three, we're back, baby.
Speaker 3: Uh you know, I just had a quarterback controversy since I think my whole career. So yeah, no, I'm great at it. Talk about him as much you guys want to. I'll say nice things about everybody.
Speaker 1: That's just what I do. Just keep him coming. You're gonna get the same damn answers.
Speaker 2: I was talking about.
Speaker 1: It was funny. I'm sorry that was funny.
Speaker 2: Practice, and he doesn't want people to be too eager protect against injury, that kind of thing. How does that sick with you know, players like yourself, livers that want to just get out and get after it.
Speaker 3: Well, for me, I've realized that it's hard to play football though shoulder pads on. So these first four days it's I'm pretty held back. I mean, like I'll go run routes and stuff like that, but like I can't really you know, run block the way that I want to run block. Like you can get you know, you do the fundamentals. You can step well, you can get a good hand placement, but you can't throw your shoulders into people and stuff like that. So songs we're practicing well, but you know, once your shoulder pads get on, I think that's kind of more so when you got to like really be reminding yourself that it's not a live game, because you're gonna be so eager and so excited because you know, we had a great football team last year that played at a high level, we practiced at a high level, and which we want to get back to that as quick as we can, so we you know, don't start off slow. This season, and so everyone's you know, eager to play football. But I think we're doing a good job so far without the pads on. You know, we'll see the next coming days. But you know, once those pads come on, it'll probably be a bit more violent, which is what I'm really looking forward to.
Speaker 4: What was Kyle's I guess overriding message and the first team meeting of camp, what he wanted to convey to you guys about what you need to get done.
Speaker 1: We have a fantastic roster. You know.
Speaker 3: Everybody tells us that we're a really good football team doesn't really matter right now, you know. So we got to go out there and work really really hard every single day, and you know, hopefully we can take a really good roster and make it a really great roster by our work ethic.
Speaker 1: Our intent every single day.
Speaker 3: And as long as we get out of this thing healthy with a lot of hard work, we have the ability to take that good, great roster and do some really special things with it. So just get after it every single day and just attack one day at a time.
Speaker 4: One thing he didn't say the word sy did a couple other guys.
Speaker 1: Is that a word? That phrase that doesn't want to be mentioned. You know, I'm gonna focus one day to just win one game at a time, but you know, win to day.
Speaker 3: We just got to walk through left and I'll focus on tomorrow and to markets. Here we are like two hundred one days away. But you know, no one's counting the new.
Speaker 1: Ways of this roster. You guys have been so close and happen. He'll be how much.
Speaker 4: Do you openly think about, like, hey, we need to get this done with with this group because you don't.
Speaker 1: Know how much how many more opportunities you can't get.
Speaker 3: You know, I think that's something that our team is very aware of. You know, we have a guy like, uh, you know, we have a lot of highly paid players on this team who have earned that money and you can only pay so many guys, and we know that, you know, some of those guys are kind of at the end of their contracts, the end of the guarantees, and that's when kind of you know, things start to move.
Speaker 1: So yes, we're very aware of that.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's something that you know, Hey, we have a team meeting where we're like.
Speaker 1: Hey, like this is it. But like our vet guys.
Speaker 3: We understand that, you know, something we kind of talked about no tas it will be mentioned throughout training camp.
Speaker 1: We're aware of that. We know that, you know, we have a fantastic team. We need to win games.
Speaker 3: It's on us, you know, it's on our amazing coach staff, it's on our amazing players. Like we have to go out there and win. So, uh, we're you know, we're focused on that. But really we know that we just work really hard, great effort. Uh, we can really you know, take this roster the next level and that's all we really focused on we get out of this. You know, we feel like if we're healthy and working hard that you know, we can go toe to toe with.
Speaker 1: Anybody about it. Hey, what's up? How you doing.
Speaker 2: Something?
Speaker 1: You talked about you among players.
Speaker 3: Like, it's just it's yes, we're we're aware that there have certain guys that are maybe whether it's at the end of their contracts and like the team might be you know that happen until was a nine team. We lost some key players, you know, they they had to go to different teams and stuff like that. We're where like, yeah, the business side of it, we understand that we have a fantastic football team. We have a great core guys and really important positions. We understand that some you know, the whatever, the window whatever that is, could be closing. You know, we're gonna try our best to keep that window open as long as we possibly can. But we're gonna try to sneak out some uh, you know, while that window is still open according to everybody else, Like we're aware of that now. I'm not going to say like we didn't have a leadership council meeting. You know, we're all just saying, hey, focus in. I think we're pretty focused last year. I think we're pretty focus in twenty twenty one. I think we're pretty focused this year. And you know, hopefully our work and our intent are reflected this year. And Deevil talked about the naturation process of Brandon and I you and just how much he's progressed.
Speaker 1: It's a good that's a good phrase, maturation process.
Speaker 2: I learned a few.
Speaker 3: Sorry, what have you seen personally from him that's really impressed. You know, our offense is really big on it's built around like all of our routes and our concepts are built on steps, the quarterback drop, and it's all timing stuff and if.
Speaker 1: You're a wide receiver.
Speaker 3: You see other wide receivers are out the league, like they have a lot of freedom to a bunch of crazy stuff in their route. Stuff that's not really our offense.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: Hey, quarterback is a five step, he's a five step with a hitch. Your route is seven steps. You need to hit seven steps on this landmark instantly. And and so then when the quarterback throws a ball, like he can look this way and when he turns, he doesn't have to see you. He can just throw it and he knows that you're gonna be right there. And younger receivers in our offense, it takes him a while to figure that out because they're like, oh, you know, I'm just going out there to play catch, and it's like, no, that's not our offense. Our offense is precise, Like that's what you have to do. And it takes guys a while to realize like the work ethic and the practice and the attention to detail that goes into that. And you can figure that out like going into you like year three and then when he figured that and like he's a great football player before that, but he figured out like all the details that go into this offense and then what he's done great at is he's figured all that out, he's learned all that and now he gets to add his own sauce on top of all that stuff. And so now you see those cool plays, a cool catches where he's ripping it away from people and you just taking another step. And it's because he has his foundation that this understanding, this awesome offense that gives him the opportunity to go out there and just wrap people up and look like a superstar, which is what he is.
Speaker 2: George Cameron lost you and Gradon Willison along.
Speaker 1: I think they're doing a great job talk about the maturation process. Thank you. You know, I think they're both.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: They took ot as they came back a week early, spent some time with my Titans coach. You know, I think Flury's done a great job with them. Eagerly harps on them all the time. But you know the details of the offense, understand it exactly what you have to do, so you don't have to think about you know what, you don't have to think about it once you get out there. And I think they both had a good day today. They had some good OTAs practices. They started stacking days. You know, it's easy right now, we don't shoulder pads on It's day one. We had sixteen reps a day. I think most guys had like six to eight reps, you know. So hopefully they just keep stacking. They have good days, they stay in their playbook, and they keep going.
Speaker 1: They're both good football players.
Speaker 3: They're both run good routes, they're both strong, they both have they have great effort. So that's what you wanted a football player. I think that's there.
Speaker 1: So let's just see if they can be consistent with it.
Speaker 2: They remind you about your first time when you went through your first training camp and you were talking to you guys about that and where you were, like you're asking the elements.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was actually in the middle of the ocean, hold on to a life raft. That's about where I was.
Speaker 3: No, I will say, I think the way that we install now is a little bit easier. I think we figured that part out. I think Kyle has done a really good job with that part of the offense, like the how fitting everything together, and like we do a really good job now, like, hey, these are our favorite plays that we ran last year, and so we're gonna focus on them and build out our playbook through them. And so the way we install I think is yeah, No, if it's Kyle, I think it's more efficient now than it was seven years ago.
Speaker 1: But like I said, I think Flurry.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's really good at instilling the details, installing those details, and so I think they have this great foundation to go off of it. So I think, you know, my two rookie tight ends, they're definitely probably farther along than I was on day one. And but like I said, it's day one is easy. Day two is kind of easy. Day three is pretty easy. Get an off day, you come back. Day four is not that hard. Day five, first day pads. Everyone's excited. You get into day six, seven, eight, that's when you figure out, you know, who wants to play the game. And so, hey, I love all my teammates. I hopefully hopefully everybody does a great job. You ask me again in a week.
Speaker 1: To keep the window the window. Yeah, we'll go back to back. What's up you guys?
Speaker 4: Keeping the window open as as possible leadership something you've always kind of taken pride in, But is it tocourage you? They're like, hey, you know, helping younger guys can help us achieve that, you know, getting guys up to that level to make sure that windows.
Speaker 3: How many guys on the team, like after the fifth cuts, like sixty sixty nine, right, I need all those guys, Like I mean, I don't care if you're on practice squad. I don't care if you're a rookie. I don't care if you're the R five on kickoff. Like I need every single person. I'm very aware of that. We encourage I mean, me and Fred stand here in front of the rookies right before you go to the forty days away at the OTAs, and and we're very straight with them, like, look, some of you are going to be here, some of you aren't. The guys that are gonna be here are going to participate. They're gonna help us win. Like I can't win without you, guys. We can't win with thirty good guys and twenty bad players, Like I need sixty nine really good football players that want to win. They want to bring it every single day, intent effort, like that's all I really give a shit about. And so if they want to bring it, they have the goals. The high standards. That's what we want. And it's really fun because I think we have a great roster. Like I said, we have a lot of guys who want to be on this team, and so the battles route camp are gonna be really fun to watch. And hopefully by the time we get to the fifty three plus the fifteen sixteen practice squad guys, we have a very great roster that has an ability to win and go out and get things done.
Speaker 1: You talked about the evolution of this team. How has it tightened you all? Ooh thank you? Yeah A sorry one more time. You got me excited of tightening you throughout the years.
Speaker 3: And what did you get from it this season to get your ready from twenty three?
Speaker 1: Let's see the evolution of it.
Speaker 3: You know what kind of started out is this like we wanted to get a couple of guys in town, you know, train and then holy shit, forty five guys showed up that first one. Forty nine guys did at a high school, did some drills, round some routes, came back to next year, moved to Vanderbilt, had eighty five guys and really, you know, the way the steps that's taken is is we kind of like at the end of every one we send out, like you know, hey, what can we do better? And guys were really big on they want to know, like, hey, what's your mindset going into a football game? What's your mindset going into a week of practice? Or hey, we want to see Travis, will you talk about running the same route versus four different coverages? And so like that's the you've just sorry, we've grown into like listen to the players of what they want to see and know. One of my favorite things was we got to see It was awesome, like vocal speakers. You know, Travis talked about a couple of things. Gronk showed up, he got to talk about his mindset and what it takes to win every single day, you know, good decisions, bad decisions. And one of my favorites was Jordan Reid showed up and he spent like twenty minutes talking about releases, which is one of the coolest things. And on his he had all these old videos that he had recorded on his phone on his iPad from when he was at Washington and it's just crushing people and it's making people look so stupid. On his releases and He broke them down too, into like three different drills that you can do to use his releases. No matter how athletic you are, and no matter how tall you are, short, you are strong, you are fast, you are and he broke it down for all these tight ends to look and read.
Speaker 1: And then he sent all those.
Speaker 3: Clips out back to them so they can take that home with them and you know, study them. It's pretty cool stuff. And like, those are releases. I spent the rest of the off season trying. So hey, if you see a Jordan's Greed type release from me, make sure you give him a shout out.
Speaker 1: But that you know, I gotta watch.
Speaker 3: Travis Kelce talked about he runs a lot of these high crosses, like fifteen to twenty yard crossing routes, but it's paired to the sale route, which is same thing, so you fake in break out and he just showed how he runs it versus different coverages. You know, it's the exact same sin Like the first ten to twelve yards, dB has no idea what he's running and then depending on the coverage is what the top of the route looks like. And just seeing him explain that and be like, oh, that makes a lot of sense now, so when I'm watching it on tape, it's not like, Huh, why did he do that? I now know why he's doing those things, and so hey, when I get that opportunity to do that with one of my routes, Hey, this is a guy who a thousand yards seven straight seasons, probably knows what he's talking about when he'salking about running routes. I can use that next time I run one of these routes. And it's just cool to be able to learn from guys that are really good at their position and then take that home with you and try to.
Speaker 1: Use it yourself. Thanks guys, twenty bucks