Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the forty nine Ers First and ten podcast, presented by Cisco. Ten minutes of the most up to date forty nine Ers news. First Thing in the morning, I'm your host Brian McDonald and joining me today is forty nine Ers team reporter Lindsay Polares. The team takes off to Miami today to face the Dolphins for a Week sixteen matchup this Sunday. Lindsay, you'll be joining along for the cross country trip. First things first, what are the biggest things to look out for in this late season contest?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think in these last three weeks of the season, the big sentiment from the team is that they want to finish strong, so they want to repeat the performances that did bring them success in twenty twenty four. You go back to that Chicago Bears game in Week fourteen that the forty nine Ers played one of their best games complimentary football, all three phases contributing. You go to Week fifteen, where the defense was really highlighted. They were able to keep a really high powered Rams offense out of the end zone entirely held them to eighty nine total yards of offense in that first half. So it's about replicating the good parts of several performances they had this season. You know, you heard quarterback Brock Purty say that they just want to put on a show for the fans that forty nine Ers football that everyone is used to seeing. It's important to create that momentum headed into the offseason, and they're going to have the opportunity to do that against the Miami Dolphins team that has had its own struggles this year. They're also got a matching six to eight record heading into Sunday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of things to look out for in this contest, perhaps Drake Greenlaw is one of them. He made a big return to action in Week fifteen after missing most of the season due to an achilles injury. In our last episode, we talked about how he looked in his first game back, how his presence really impacts the defense. But this week, Greenlaw mentioned the emotional aspect of returning to play with his teammate Fred Warner. How do you think that bond between the two linebackers translates to their play on the field and could potentially look this Sunday.
Speaker 2: I think it's what makes them such a formidable linebacker duo.
Speaker 3: They know each other so well.
Speaker 2: They are friends both on and off the field, and I do think their style, their physicality and ability to play off the ball, they really are do it all linebackers and they work so well in tandem. I think, especially for Dre Greenlaw. Something he's touched on both after his twenty four season debut on Thursday Night Football and then later this week, is that really he's not taking this time for granted, you know, he is enjoying his ability to be able to back on the field. He left that week fifteen matchup with some knee soreness. It checked out, everything's okay, but there is just like a natural reintegration into the game after not playing for three hundred and five days. Obviously he was working on his rehab, but you can't really replicate that live game action. And you know, he's just taking in the games he's able to squeeze in in twenty twenty four and he really just wants to go out there, play with his brothers and play to the best of his abilities and again create that offseason momentum for himself because you know, he did miss out on a lot of football this season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, following the end of that Thursday night football game, head coach Kyle Shanahan confirmed that green Law did experience some soreness and fatigue, which was what ultimately kept him out of the second half against LA But it seems like Greenlaw is eager to take advantage of the final stretch of the season, and we'll keep our eye out for what that linebacker has planned out for this Sunday. But now let's take a look at the offense and the last time the forty nine ers faced the Dolphins, it was a young brock party that stepped in after Jimmy Garoppolo's injury and showed some poise under pressure. That was his statement game in the NFL. And this week he reflected on that game and he talked about that heavy blitz, heavy blitzing he faced. Then, how do you think brock Purty has grown since that game in terms of handling defensive pressure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he's got two plus seasons of starter experience. Now he's a totally different person and he is able to handle a heavy blitz attack. He w he handled it very well in that very first outing against Miami. You know, I think it's just so fun to look back because it was only two years ago that brock Purty really had his big NFL not debut, but like you mentioned, statement game, the world got their first look at what brock Purty leading the forty nine ers offense would look like, and he really rose to the occasion. Jimmy Garoppolo suffered an injury that took him out for the rest of the twenty twenty two season, and brock Perdy was the next man up. He got his first start the week after Miami and the rest is history. Now he is a starting quarterback in the NFL. He's been to two NFC championship games, a Super Bowl, you know, has faced some of the toughest defenses in the league and done so with poise and good decision making. And it's just really awesome to look back and see the growth because it's only year three for him, and you know, just the upward trajectory continues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as you speak about the growth that brock party has gone through throughout his NFL career, a lot has changed since that game in twenty twenty two against the Dophense when he first stepped in. I'm curious, what are Purties goals this week? In week sixteen as he leads his forty nine ers through a twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think it's a lot of what I touched on at the beginning of the podcast. It is about getting to that place where the offense can match that defensive success that the forty nine ers saw.
Speaker 3: In Week fifteen.
Speaker 2: Because when both sides of the ball, offense and defense are clicking, and you get really good contributions from special teams, you really see the talent on this team highlighted. I know that there have been struggles throughout this season, but the talent is there. It's been really great to see so many rookie players, young role players step up into a lot bigger positions this year, obviously because the forty nine ers were hit with a ton of injuries, but it's great to see that that new talent can just fit right in and they can produce really big numbers on offense. They can put up thirty plus points on offense. You know, a rookie running back can have two touchdowns in his first NFL start talking about Isaac Garndo there, who's playing, who was playing against the Bears and the Rams because Christian McCaffrey and Jordan Mason suffered or landed on the injured reserve list. So I think they just want to get back to playing the football that they know they can play. And they have three more opportunities to do that this season, so they really want to take advantage of that.
Speaker 3: And brock Pritty was pretty vocal about that.
Speaker 1: All right, let's dial into this Sunday's game. What's the injury report looking like for this Sunday and how has practice panned out for the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the injury report has kind of been the case this season. It's not a short one, right. I think a couple players to highlight, as Nick Boso was able to start the week as a limited participant, but that hipp and oblique injury continues to linger. He did not practice on Thursday. Malik Collins is just dealing with an illness, but he's been a starter on that interior defensive line for the forty nine ers. Has not been able to practice Wednesday or Thursday. We'll find out more about where he's at later today. Isaac Garrendo turns out he actually came out of that Week fifteen matchup with a hamstring injury. He was also dealing with a foot sprain, has not been able to practice this week. Trent Williams still no notable updates that we've heard other than he hasn't been able to practice.
Speaker 3: Dray green Le has been a limited participant all week.
Speaker 2: I imagine that he will continue on but we'll see what his actual game status is later. Another guy to keep an eye on, especially given the fact that Trent Williams will likely not be playing, given that he hasn't practiced and now this would be I believe his fifth straight game that he would miss. Jalen Moore has been his backup. He's dealing with a hip injury. Hasn't been able to be a full participant in practice this week, so I think depending on what he's able to do today, that might be something to definitely keep an eye out on.
Speaker 1: All right, given the injury report, and it sounds like the key to success in this game is playing complimentary football. This Sunday, lindsay, who are some players to watch in this matchup against the Dolphins?
Speaker 2: You know I would keep an eye out for Patrick Taylor Junior. He is likely going to be making his very first NFL start. He's had forty four appearances. Was previously with the Packers. We saw him score a touchdown late against the Chicago Bears. If Isaac Grendo cannot go, it will be him getting the start. I think he definitely can handle the task, and the forty nine ers, you know, can lean on him, especially as that running back room continues to kind of go through injury after injury. So that's definitely someone to look out for. Charvarius Ward is kind of just ramping up in this later part of the season. Another person to watch, and then, you know, I think right now is a great time to watch all of the rookies, especially right now, this is a great time to see what you have in those younger players.
Speaker 3: Give them more opportunity.
Speaker 2: So I'm thinking, Ricky Pier saw Jacob Cowing this this is the time to see what different lineups look like. So I think definitely keep an eye out for the different configurations of that of the lineup that you'll see on Sunday.
Speaker 1: All right, well, a lot to look out for this Sunday. Thank you Lindsay for joining me today, Faithful, don't forget to tune into the Niners versus Dolphins game on CBS it's at one twenty five pm Pacific time. Subscribe to First Intent presented by Cisco for all of your forty nine ers updates, and turn on the notifications for any breaking news. Thanks for tuning in.