Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalist at Comedy.
Speaker 3: Central's America's only source for news.
Speaker 4: This is the Daily.
Speaker 1: Shown with your host, Show David.
Speaker 5: Show. Happy over here.
Speaker 1: Very nice, Thank you, thank you. Welcome to the Daily Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the frozen tundra of New York City.
Speaker 1: Minamme is down store. What what historic day in Washington, DC? It is, as many of you know, January six.
Speaker 2: It is January sixth, and as you see, once again a blanket of angry white just send me on the Capitol this white, oddly enough, not as disruptive it did stop traffic, but a lot less bear spray and Confederate flags.
Speaker 1: Of course, it is January sixth.
Speaker 2: It is the day that traditionally we now pretend that we knew was a big deal in terms of certifying the elections. Be honest, before that insurrection, you had no idea that was a January sixth ceremony or what it did or.
Speaker 1: Why it did. Now you just got to act.
Speaker 2: Like oh reni of the election so important.
Speaker 1: But let's get to it.
Speaker 2: It always begins with the traditional children's procession. They bring in boxes filled with the cremated remains of their dead pets, and then they dump them all the ashes on the speaker's desk, and then the speaker.
Speaker 1: Blows on the dust.
Speaker 2: Until the name of the president elect is conjured in the mist.
Speaker 1: America is a wondrous that, But.
Speaker 2: It's good to see them bringing in the boxes. They're nice to know that the democracy now has pallbearers.
Speaker 1: So trenchant.
Speaker 2: Of course, the ultimate indignity of this January sixth is that Donald Trump's opponent, Kamala Harris, because she is the Vice president, serves as the master of ceremonies to this Really, you are a very reactive and sad group. The empathy is off the.
Speaker 1: Charts with this group.
Speaker 2: Kamala Harris has to be the master of semonies, but it does suck.
Speaker 6: The votes for President of the United States are as follows. Donald J. Trump of the state of Florida has received three hundred and twelve votes.
Speaker 7: Kamala de Harris, that's got a sting.
Speaker 2: She's like, I can hear you, god Da, it's like attending your own funeral. And even the mourners are like, what, I can't imagine anything that would be more uncomfortable standing there while the crowd applauds.
Speaker 6: Your opponent, Kamala de Harris of the state of California, has received two hundred and twenty six votes.
Speaker 1: Wait, that sounded louder. There's a lot of joy in that room. I think she could still win this thing.
Speaker 2: She just needs to find like one hundred and thirty thousand votes in Georgia and then, you know, tell me, Michigan, it put to Mina.
Speaker 1: Maybe Wisconsin, maybe that's a flip.
Speaker 2: But ultimately, the certification ceremony that we all look forward to every four years since I was little went off without a hitch. Because it's amazing how smoothly our democracy can work when you don't act like a little bitch when you lose. Not naming names, just saying, but it was lovely to begin this new political year on a peaceful and calm note, because the actual.
Speaker 1: New year was really quite rougher.
Speaker 2: You know, the hopeful dreams of a peaceful new year, filled with the love and camaraderie of people in Times Square holding in their pee for twelve hours shattered by a terrorist attack at three fifteen.
Speaker 1: Am in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: The attack was sudden and horrific and sent law enforcements scrambling to find the perpetrators, Viewers scrambling to find out if the perpetrators, once found, would validate or invalidate their previously held political viewpoints.
Speaker 8: And we are hearing a local reports that the suspect has been named as shamsud Din Jabbar, which would indicate Middle Eastern descent.
Speaker 1: Oh would it?
Speaker 9: You don't believe he's of the Mayflower Dingibbars, the Connecticut Dingibars.
Speaker 1: I'm going over to the country club today. We're going to play around with Dingibar. So point one.
Speaker 10: Maga the FBI confirming that an ISIS flag was located in that FOURD to f one to fifty pickup truck when the attack occurred.
Speaker 1: ISIS flag That to zero Maga, It's best of five.
Speaker 2: Papa needs a brand new reason to deport everybody.
Speaker 11: We do know that the vehicle across through Eagle Past, Texas, across the border two days ago.
Speaker 2: A radical monthly Nan ding Jabbar illegally crossing the border to commit violence against Americans. Yet see and while normally the right in tragedy would caution us to take a moment for thoughts and prayers for the victims and not politicize it. That's only when they think they're on the wrong side of this shit. The Biden administration has created an environment that allows things like this to happen.
Speaker 11: Mister Trump is blaming the Biden administration's open border policies.
Speaker 7: We've been saying for over a year now that there's likely to be a terrorist attack on our home soil with an open southern border.
Speaker 2: No time for thoughts and prayers. Deploy the Continental forty eight.
Speaker 1: Close. That's the that's.
Speaker 2: That's that's called the klosh. It's you know that in the diner and you're like, I'll have that pie, and they act like someone's going to steal the pie, and they put it under that thing. That's good. That's called the closure. And and that's the basis of the joke. Of course, what I love most about this job is the ability to educate.
Speaker 1: On the various paraphernalia founded diners.
Speaker 2: Of Course, the judgment that the networks came to was of course rushed to.
Speaker 8: Now we're hearing from multiple reports that he was an American citizen, he was in the Army Reserve, that he wasn't some illegal immigrant that came across the border.
Speaker 2: Lift the close, the close shus been deployed.
Speaker 1: You mustn't lift the close or the thing, all right.
Speaker 2: So it didn't turn out to be the ironclad argument for sealed borders that the right was hoping for.
Speaker 1: But fear not more chaos.
Speaker 12: To come breaking news out of Las Vegas where a Tesla's cyber truck exploded outside the Trump Towers hotel.
Speaker 1: Cyber truck explode outside of Trump Hotel. So even terrorists are political cartoonists, now a little on the.
Speaker 2: Nose, don't you think? I mean, come on, I think it's pretty clear what's going on here.
Speaker 10: I've ad it, boys, John, I'm gonna put out the obvious. He goes to the Trump Resorts in Las Vegas. Donald Trump, He's in a Tesla cybertruck Elon Musk.
Speaker 4: This was a statement that was making a statement about Trump about Elon.
Speaker 8: Should the fbi'd be treating this as another attempt on Trump's life even though he wasn't at the hotel at the time.
Speaker 1: Why the.
Speaker 2: I've a car accident outside of hotel in New York. Let's make that number four or fine, who cares what's really happening? But unfortunately, even for that narrative, the statement by the bomber was actually, I think Trump is awesome.
Speaker 3: Office will say the man who blew up a Tesla cyber truck outside a Vegas Trump hotel would express support for President elect Donald Trump and Elon.
Speaker 12: Musk, saying Americans need to quote rally behind President elected Donald Trump and Elon Musk.
Speaker 2: Far be it from me to tell someone how they should express their affection. I've worked for years to become more open, but even I know that blowing up someone's shit in front of more of their shit, it's what we in the therapy business all a mixed message, So weave their end of the illegal immigrant anti American parlay has hit.
Speaker 1: But don't let reality ruin a good narrative.
Speaker 11: The person who committed the attack was indeed an American citizen. But let's not take our eyes off the bigger picture here, which is that over the past four years, millions of people have come into the country.
Speaker 1: My goodness, what else don't we know?
Speaker 2: If these are a couple of people who are homegrown, what don't we know of all of these people who have come across the border. Yes, says clearly, we have a problem over here, so what about over there? It turns out that American born extremists not only show we have to close the border, they also take the wind out of the left's other favorite policy prescriptions.
Speaker 12: This also should lay bare the idea that gun control is going.
Speaker 1: To make a safer You know, we're using what are we gonna do?
Speaker 4: Start?
Speaker 12: Uh, pre registering people for cars, are giving background checks for people to get cars.
Speaker 5: You got halfway through that point and you're like, oh, I do I can help see it when your brain, I don't want to move down that road.
Speaker 1: No, what are we gonna have to do now? Register or abort? No, don't say abort. D I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 2: But not a one man show or there or there? But what are we gonna make people get licenses for their da? What it seems to show is that people have a tremendous ability to fit whatever happens into their predetermined, dogmatic worldview. It's not a rush to judgment as much as like a gag reflex, which is why, in the immediate aftermath of these terrible events, we all wait to see whose worldview.
Speaker 1: Will be validated.
Speaker 2: And it makes it doubly frustrating that the FBI feels the need to play into the demand for immediate answers when they couldn't possibly know them yet. I give you the FBI four hours after the.
Speaker 1: Attack, this is not a terrorist event. Just say you.
Speaker 2: Don't know yet, because a couple of hours later, when you find out what's really going on, you're just.
Speaker 1: Gonna look doll.
Speaker 6: The FBI, we are working with our partners to investigate this as an act of terrorism.
Speaker 1: Okay, no harm, no foul.
Speaker 2: It's not like you played into the fears of co conspirators out there lining the streets with explosives.
Speaker 1: We do not believe that Jabar was solely responsible.
Speaker 9: The FBI has recovered video surveillance video that appears to show.
Speaker 1: Three men and one woman appearing.
Speaker 2: To help put IEDs what are believed to be IEDs at locations in the French Quarter.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, IEDs in the French Quarter.
Speaker 2: I guess I have no option but to violently confront anyone in the vicinity that I believe is operating as sleeper cell.
Speaker 12: Police interviewed those four individuals and now believe that they just were bystanders who happened to look suspicious.
Speaker 2: But I already killed them. Look, did they happen to look suspicious in New Orleans.
Speaker 1: Oh what would they wearing beads in the winter, little sparkling glitter?
Speaker 2: What were they carrying around musical instruments and seemingly two upbeat for a funeral?
Speaker 3: It turns out those are just patrons on the street that were looking inside the coolers.
Speaker 2: Yes, nothing more suspicious than people on Bourbon Street at three in the morning looking inside coolers. I also arrested some ladies who were lifting up their shirts, clearly signaling to the other jadis. These attacks are really frightening and add to this feeling of societal tenuousness that we've all been ingesting since I'm gonna go with the creation of Facebook. Almost more frightening is that we can't place these attackers into the normal neat boxes of disturbed bullied loaners. Not only do they not fit into neat ideological packages, they almost seem uncomfortably normal. The isis supporting Jabbar. This is him from a while back.
Speaker 13: I'm Sampson Dan Jabor, property manager with Loue Metal Properties and team lead at the Midas Group at Core Realty. I just want to say hello and let you know a little bit about me. So I'm born and raised in Beaumont, Texas and now live in Houston.
Speaker 2: Here's the crazy thing. He's the terrorist. I'd have bought real estate from this guy. He seems totally run of the mill, guy who's been life coached up. He's even got the if you notice there in the background, the basic bitch motivational discipline posters go all in.
Speaker 1: And take responsibility, be disciplined. Terrorists generally don't have those posters.
Speaker 2: I don't remember Ben Laden having to remind himself to hang in there.
Speaker 1: By the way, this is true.
Speaker 2: Just as a side note, that is the original hang in there baby poster.
Speaker 1: I don't remember.
Speaker 2: I had one that was like a super cute orange kiddy, but this one, it really seems more of a like demanding you hang in there, like like like it's in black, like like it doesn't really look like a kiddie trying to like give you.
Speaker 1: It looks more like de Niro and Cape Fear doing pull ups in a cell and being like, I will suck you up. Like that is not that cat.
Speaker 2: That cat if you died, that cat would eat you and crawl inside and go to something.
Speaker 1: Although I guess most cats all right.
Speaker 2: Look, I don't like these terrorists and killers having such vibrant digital trails. I don't want them to be relatable. The cyber truck bomber guy.
Speaker 13: Do you see some of the photos on Facebook.
Speaker 4: He did a lot of traveling.
Speaker 11: There's a one photo of him that was actually taken in Thailand.
Speaker 1: I napped and look at Luigi Manngioni. This guy was a hooded.
Speaker 2: Profession assassin with a silencer, and now we got to watch him deliver the valedictory speech at his high school.
Speaker 11: As I conclude my speech, I have to remember that a valedictory, by definition, is a farewell.
Speaker 2: By the way, where did that kid go to high school? They all looked like extras in a consent video. I'm trying to be a dick, but it looks like everybody in the background looks like they're about to go, like all right, girls, who wants some grain alcohol? And now we all got to wait around on pins and needles for their motive.
Speaker 1: Have to know why? What's the road from real estate? Want to be to the Wester's decadent and they have.
Speaker 2: Left manifestos, but their manifestos suck. Luigi Mangioni who was allegedly so obsessed with healthcare costs.
Speaker 1: That it drove him to murder. Here's what he wrote in his manifesto.
Speaker 2: Frankly, I do not pretend to be the most qualified person to lay out the full argument.
Speaker 1: I'm just the muscle. I'm not the idea. I don't know. I don't know anything about it.
Speaker 2: I just know, you know, finally someone willing to stand up for what he isn't really sure he believes in. To be quite honest, I urge the news media don't even call these manifestos. These are an insult to manifestos. Throwing something down on your notes app is not a manifest you know, Say what you want about Ted Kaczinski, the man put in the work tapping with no plumbing, thirty five thousand words, old school typewriter, double space, bibliography, table of contents. I think it had been blurbed by other crazy people.
Speaker 1: If you have to read one.
Speaker 2: Manifesto this year, Charles Manson, these other guys are out there, Hey, chat, GPT, write me a concise screen.
Speaker 1: Okay, healthcare in the.
Speaker 2: Street as though it were a drake wrap Like this is the point is, I don't know.
Speaker 1: What's going on.
Speaker 2: Here where normal seeming people have a set back in their life, end up online, down some rabbit hole. The algorithm amplifies their anger and fears, and all of a sudden you're releasing a half assed manifesto and shooting the place up.
Speaker 1: It doesn't have to be this way. So a plea to all that would be terrorists that are out there.
Speaker 2: Hey, girl, down on your luck, girlfriend left, your job's a dead end, spending a lot of time watching whatever YouTube atto play.
Speaker 1: Is showing you. And now you've got some ideas.
Speaker 2: How about you don't kill everybody, just do what everybody else does in that situation.
Speaker 1: Get a podcast.
Speaker 2: That way, nobody dies. You get a podcast, nobody dies. You can still terrorize people. And no, I do not want to be on it. When we come back, we'll be talking to Congressman Jamie Raskin.
Speaker 1: They'll go away. Hey, what about the tally show my death tonight?
Speaker 2: He represents Maryland's eighth congressional district and the House of Representatives. He was elected ranking member of the Judiciary Committee, and he joins me now from.
Speaker 1: Washington, DC. Please, what went in the program?
Speaker 2: Congressman Jamie Raskin, sir, Hello, how are you, sir, thank you for joining us. I imagine, sir, a very hectic day. Did they do the traditional chasing of the Congress people the bowels of the building.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, luckily it was snowing outside, so all the insurrections were slipping and falling on the road and everything. So but no, we today was actually a totally uneventful and peaceful and nonviolent day. It's what January sixth should be, and it's what it used to be.
Speaker 2: Like I suppose, congressman, is it hard on a day like today seeing the way that it went not to be passive aggressive in to the Republican colleagues, to not be like, oh hey, look at this done by one Hey, oh my god, we can go out to Fridays and eat apps because there was no rioting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the whole thing took like maybe twenty five minutes. It should have taken fifteen minute. But some of our Republican colleagues confused it with the Republican National Convention and they were cheering and applauding and yelling.
Speaker 4: We were just there.
Speaker 3: To count the votes and we were not there to you know, continue the campaign. But yeah, I mean I talked to my friend Lauren Bobert, and I asked her how she enjoyed it, and she said it was great because no Democrats had made any objections. And I said it was terrific because nobody tried to assassinate the vice president, and so, you know, we were.
Speaker 4: All happy with how it went.
Speaker 1: A good point.
Speaker 2: Now, at any point with Lauren Bolbert when you say something like that, and I'm assuming that this doesn't happen, but does she ever say to.
Speaker 3: Shay, Lauren's actually very funny, you know, like it's sort of like the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. You're either a Marjorie Taylor Green person or you're a Lauren Bobert person. And I'm a Lauren Bobert person myself, although they call her Lauren Groepert, which really isn't fair.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of passive aggression down there. There is what is now, Things aren't going to change much in the House because Johnson was the speaker before the Republicans controlled the House, So generally, other than some changing of committee chairmanships and you're being elevated to ranking, what's going to be different for Democrats in the House in this new session.
Speaker 3: They've got a much narrower margin now, So I think we're down to two nineteen to two fifteen because Matt Gates left and then at leased dephonics on her way out and Mike Laws, oh, I appreciate that chear, and so it'll be two seventeen to two fifteen, which means they cannot afford to lose a single vote. And they've already suffered the defection of Congresswomen's Sparks from Indiana, who got so mad about the fact that she wasn't put on the committee she wanted that she has left the Republican Conference and is an independent now, and we haven't even started deliberations yet, so I think we're going to be in good shape to exploit some of the conflicts and contradictions going on within the Republican Conference. I think you probably saw John that the enraged nativist racist megabase is upset with Elon Musk and the Brologarks who want to bring in tens of thousands more cheap foreign laborers, and so that's something that's already starting to explode in terms of the Republican politics. But there's a bunch of issues like that, including abortion, where there's still some libertarians who don't want to go near it. But the theocratic majority within Mega, led by Mike Johnson, say that life begins a conception, and so they've been trying to ban it nationally, and we expect that to come back and hopefully we'll be able to pull over some of the lingering pro choice Republicans.
Speaker 2: Right, is that more a question of, you know, in terms of because when you don't control in the House, especially, the House especially is kind of a zero sum game. The Senate rules are sort of so antiquated and bizarre, and you need sixty for this, and culture for this, and three quarters for this. The House really is even if you have one other member, you control all of who gets called before Congress. You get to control the witnesses, you get to control the legislation. Does that make it harder for Democrats, even on a purely logistical mechanical way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does, because over on the Senate side, they've got the filibusters, so each senator theoretically can throw a monkey wrench into the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Whereas you know, we've got.
Speaker 3: Our rules committeed, we adopt the rule, and the rules usually whatever the majority wants. In fact, they wrote the first partisan discrimination into House Rules and History, saying that they're going from one person to move to vacate to seven members moving to vacate.
Speaker 4: But they've got to be from the majority.
Speaker 3: Party, so it would be like saying, you know, only Republicans can move to adjourn or moved to reconsider a vote. But they voted for that. And one of my new colleagues actually from Rhode Island, said, this is outrageous, this violates equal production. Let's go to the Supreme Court. And I was like, yeah, we've been there, We've done that. The Roberts Court is not exactly all.
Speaker 4: Over these unconstitutional right, you.
Speaker 2: Got to tell the new kids, like, oh, I've got some bad news for you about that Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: They're gonna do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are there things though, like can the can the Republicans do that with like the debt ceiling? Like I know there are a lot of Democrats who thought that the debt ceiling fights were ridiculous and really limited their ability to get anything done.
Speaker 1: Are there any sort of can.
Speaker 2: The Republicans say We're going to remove the debt ceiling but only for four years and basically force for whatever they want to do and spend on they can do, and if Democrats regain control that all goes away again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, fortunately, they're more divided than they are even hateful of us, so they can't get together to get anything done. If you look at the last Congress, the only way that we kept the government afloat and going was Democrats coming in to bail out Mike Johnson, and I think it's going to be the same thing. I do think there could be some issues where we get together. For example, Donald Trump is very proud of the fact that he beat Kamala by three million votes, and we're proud of the fact that Joe Biden beat Donald Trump by seven million votes in twenty twenty. But if they're proud of the popular vote, why don't we get rid of the electoral college and start electing the president the way we elect everybody else, like representatives and senators and mayors and governors. Why don't we actually come together and step forward. I mean, the electoral college can get you killed these days, as we saw in twenty and it's given us five popular vote losers in our history twice in this century, Donald Trump in George W.
Speaker 4: Bush. So let's move forward on that. Why don't we get together on that?
Speaker 2: Is that before or after they add the Conservative provinces of Canada to the popular vote total, Like I just get the sense that there are always one step ahead there, like sure, let's do that, Oh, welcome Alberta, Like they'll do something that just screws it?
Speaker 1: And is there something in here to Congress might want to ask you.
Speaker 2: Isn't there a certain something freeing for the Democrats right now having nothing to do with the Republicans and they're infighting and all that. I follow this relatively closely enough to look like this now I'm twenty seven.
Speaker 1: I follow it relatively closely.
Speaker 2: I don't know who's in charge of the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: I don't know the direction you're going. Isn't there something.
Speaker 2: Enlivening about the opportunity before Democrats right now to rethink to have that opportunity almost a rum springer if you will. You don't control the judicial, the Congress, the executive, you have the opportunity to recreate what this party will be going forward.
Speaker 1: Is there a process for that? Is there a desire for that?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: And being in the minority definitely is a lot more fun and it invites a lot of creativity, and it's you know, it's it's a riot in the pre January sixth sense of the words.
Speaker 1: Slogan that's gonna fly with most minorities. I think most minorities would be.
Speaker 3: Like, oooh, but look, we now have the opportunity to organize for massive democratic victory in twenty twenty six. And that's exactly what we're doing because we think that everywhere they're headed is so extreme that the vast majority of the American people are going to reject it. Most Americans do not want to ban abortion across the country. Most Americans do not want to deport twelve million people. Most Americans don't want to turn the Department of Justice into an instrument of.
Speaker 4: Revenge and retaliation.
Speaker 3: And we're going to be standing up every single day, John, for the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the freedoms and rights of the people.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's gonna be a lot of work? But I love goad to Stan now.
Speaker 2: Earth do you think you know with this election being sort of a repudiation, Boy, there's nothing worse in politics than having to govern. It seems like it just when everybody gets mad at the status quo. Do you think the leadership from the Democratic Party, the future of it is going to come from Washington, which is so the brand is so diluted at this point for the American people, Or do you think it's going to be more from the state houses and the governors. Where do you think that energy is going to come from in your mind?
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I think it's going to come from all over the country. I think it's going to come from Democracy Summer, the project we've got for young people all over America to learn about the history of social change in the country and to get involved in digital organizing and canvassing and organizing. And you know, it might come from our two new states. And I'm not talking about Panama and Greenland. I'm talking about Washington, d c. And Puerto Rico, which we are fighting.
Speaker 4: To admit as new states.
Speaker 2: For you, if you don't control anything, you can't get these things done. By the way, Congressman, let me just say this Democracy Summer sounds like really the worst camp anybody's ever been to.
Speaker 3: That is that does not sound well? You out, well, I invite you to come and a peer. I think you'll find something very different.
Speaker 4: I mean, these young people.
Speaker 2: Oh congressmen, would you invite if you guys listen to me, if you have.
Speaker 1: A retreat, Oh what I love to come down there. And all right, and you you will.
Speaker 3: Be our guest comedic speaker Democracy Summer.
Speaker 1: I'm taking over this bitch, all right.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I got to tell you what we've got.
Speaker 4: I should have brought it with me.
Speaker 3: But we've got the most beautiful poster in the world that Shepherd Fairy made for us. He's the guy who did the Obama Hope poster. He made a Democracy Summer poster for us.
Speaker 4: The future really is with the young people, and we need them.
Speaker 3: And there's a major battle going on for young America right now and we need hardest I think people get in the Democratic lose.
Speaker 2: What was the hardest part so many constituencies moved to the right, was what was the one that stung the most?
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 2: Latino voters made a big move men and women, but young people surprisingly were the ones that really, uh made a move. And until you sort of get together and decide what that more value is of the party, isn't it hard to have a plan to gain those demographics back?
Speaker 3: Well, there's no doubt that the right wing social media outlets and the talk shows in the podcast have been targeting young men especially, and so that's why. Look, I'm a sixty two year old grandfather now, which means I'm in the younger part of the party in Congress. But my kids, but my kids are in their twenties, okay, And I know what's going on with young people in their twenties, and they're being targeted.
Speaker 4: And we need to organize.
Speaker 3: And as the GOP turns itself into a cult with authoritarian habits of submission and obedience to authority, we have got to be a lot more like an open school for America to come in and to get educated about what's really going on and to feed people not live in conspiracy theories, but facts in the truth. So I invite you very much, John Stewart to come out. You'll be our tickoff speaker for Democracy Summer twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: In your heart, do you feel like Democrats are being honest with themselves about what happened? Or I'm hearing a lot of quite frankly excuses that feel like, oh, we just didn't message well, or if I had only knocked on that door four times are Are they being honest enough with what their actual ideas are in terms of popularity within the American people and all those things, or do you feel like it's still about oh, geez, if we just had better podcasting weird one.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's a process for trying to figure it out. It's not like the election's over on number five and November six, you know exactly what happened.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a complicated situation.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'll tell you that everybody is very serious about trying to figure out so substantively what went wrong, but also what went wrong in terms of not connecting with different communications audiences out there. And as you know, it's not like the mainstream media is the mainstream media anymore. Everybody's getting their news and their ideas in different places, and we do have to be a lot better about getting in front of the different audiences that have grown up in this new system.
Speaker 1: Well, sir, we really appreciate.
Speaker 2: There's very few people I like to listen to more than you, and especially on that Judiciary committee. Boy, I look, your work in those committees is really Sometimes I feel like I'm watching like Matt Locke, like the way you walk up there and you just slowly disassemble the logic and all those different things. It's really something to watch, man, and I think we all look forward to seeing those hearings soon, and we really appreciate you taking the time with us this evening. And is January seventh another milestone for democracy?
Speaker 1: None of us actually no civics. So I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you one funny story about January seventh, because my kids always say that I get really depressing when I talk about the sixth. And I've got one really funny story, which is the next day, I was down in Nancy Pelosi's office and I was waiting in the little receptionist area and the receptionist picks up the phone and people are calling in saying, you know, I was in your office yesterday. Do you guys have a lost and found because I think I forgot my phone there. I think I forgot my purse there, And so she didn't know what to do, and I said, yeah, let's get in touch with the Capitol Police. So they came over and they started writing everything down. Yeah, just give us your name, your social Security number, your address, and we'll get you your property.
Speaker 2: Vat Thomas and Jamie Ruskin. Oh, then, thank you for joining us. You gotta take quick break.
Speaker 1: Let me right back after this. He let go sh up for tonight.
Speaker 2: Before we go, we're gonna check in with your host for the rest of the week, Desili, What are you covering?
Speaker 7: You?
Speaker 1: Does? He does? He does?
Speaker 12: He?
Speaker 1: Huh? Oh?
Speaker 2: What what do you got this week?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 14: Sorry, John, I'm just following my New year's resolution to make sure I get more screen time.
Speaker 1: You say more. Don't people usually try and get less screen time?
Speaker 6: Isn't that?
Speaker 14: Oh no, no, that's a big mistake. See, if you set goals that you can't reach, you're just going to get depressed when you fail. So my resolution is to do all the stuff I'm going to do anyway, so I complete my resolutions and become a better person.
Speaker 2: Doesn't more screen time make you a worse and less attentive person?
Speaker 1: That does? He light it? Everybody does? He lightens.
Speaker 4: The moment is out. There is no reason for us to do that. We understand that these individuals need to be put in place. We don't have a hearing less way forward.
Speaker 2: And I apologize about all the news, but I'm at a rest one time with my daughter, and I'm actually trying to quote, so I'm going back and forth here.
Speaker 11: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 1: Get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten.
Speaker 7: Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 3: Paramount Podcasts