Speaker 1: Welcome to the Ravens Presspass Podcast. It is Monday, November eleventh. The Ravens had the weekend off after beating the Cincinnati Bengals on Thursday Night Football. Now they're gearing up for a matchup against the Pittsburgh Steelers. It's a week eleven showdown between the top two teams in the AFC North. As the Ravens prepare for that game, Today we heard from head coach John Harpball.
Speaker 2: With Lebar.
Speaker 3: You know he's increased his passing yards, Well, it's really decreasing this interceptions.
Speaker 4: I mean he has two interceptions and now in ten games. Why do you think he has been able to protect the ball, especially interception wise so well this year?
Speaker 5: Well, I think Lamar has just been intentional about playing as well as he can across the board, you know, and that's a big part of it. There's so many things that going to play in the quarterback position and then so many things that go into the thing you're talking about as well, So across the board. I think he just tries to be the best he can do the best he can every aspect of it, whether it's whether it's huddle communication, uh, pre snap making, sure everybody's in the right spots. We've improved, We've improved greatly in those those pre huddle, pre snap communication areas. We got to continue to get better at that and then operating the place at a high level. So all those things go into it, and I think all of us would say, we just gotta we have to continue to improve, you know, the sense of urgency and everything we're doing.
Speaker 6: That's the latest. And Kyle Hamilton, I know you said that the game wasn't serious an any further update there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's Monday. You know, he's he's been here all weekend getting treatment and stuff like that. So we'll see how it looks on on Wednesday.
Speaker 7: Going forward, a look at the film, some impressions from from the Cincinnati game, and most importantly, how does Jamoar Chase Able'll get open so frequently after over that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean Jamar Chase is pretty good. So that's one reason if you're looking for the house. You know, I think he does a good job. And uh that's where it starts. As a talented person, but way too much, way too many, And it really comes down to how we're how we're playing, you know, it comes down to us. Uh, we've got to play our coverage is better in those situations deep deep part of the field, especially the deep middle and the intermediate middle part of the field, or the areas that are have been a problem for us, just very inconsistent back there in that sense, and we're going to be attacking that. It's probably the one major thing if I was going to put a priority thing on it, obviously probably everybody would agree with that. That's the one number one target that we have to get better at. Is that that aspect of our past coverage. So you know, we we worked at it through the weekend and we'll continue to work at it, and everybody's determined to get better, and we have a growth mindset to get better at everything, but you know, with a high sense of urgency to get better at everything, but that one area has to get better.
Speaker 3: John Marlin Humphrey said that what's happening in practices and always translating to the field, that you're playing certain coverages certain ways in practice and then two is later it's breaking down. Is that what you're seeing from the film, And obviously.
Speaker 5: That happened, Yeah, I mean it's not across the board. You know, we've had we've had really good practices, especially the last couple of weeks in terms of coverage, but it hasn't translated to the feel consistently. I mean, I think they had sixty four pass calls in the game, so that's a lot of passes to defend against good players. But you know, you can't have those long touchdown passes. I mean, it's one thing. It's one thing to give up you know, nine yard completion seven yeard completions on checkdown and low routes and go tackle them. It's another thing even to hit a sail router or any breaking route and tackle it. But to not tackle it or to let it get behind us. Those are just things that are just those are below the line, you know, those are not okay. Not that you don't get beat every now and then. Teams get beat here and there, but it's just happened way too much with us right now.
Speaker 2: The last one to jam Chase where it was kind of I believe it's a one play drive where they responded to you guys at score, but was there miscommunication on the back and then was there mississiundate he kind of just broke life through the middle of the tea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just the techniques were played wrong. They weren't played the way that they're designed to be played. So whether it's just something wasn't seen the right way or it was misunderstood, you know, we'll look at it from a coaching standpoint that we didn't coach it well enough. You know, we've got to coach it better, make sure they understand it more clearly, you know. And that's a type of situation that same route has been covered before. That wasn't the first time it's been run against this, So again we've got to be consistent with it. We've got to be on point every single play. We have to have a clear understanding of what we're doing, and we've got to be urgent about it.
Speaker 6: Marlin also said that you know something's got to change, you speaking broadly, obviously, when you look at it, do you anticipate or wily you look at any potentially you know, personnel changes, moves, et cetera, including responsibilities.
Speaker 8: And things like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course you consider everything. So there's everything's on the table always. So I don't think that's any news story. It's not definitely not headline worthy because that's what you do. That's what I spent the weekend doing. So our coaches spent the weekend doing, and that's what our players spent the weekend doing in the back end. So we'll look at every aspect of it and you know, pursue the best path that we that we can think of and that we see going forward with a great sense of urgency, like I said, and we'll be pointed toward the Pittsburgh game in terms of what they do and who they have doing it, and go out there and play good football.
Speaker 4: Lamark Jackson his lowest passer rating against any teams against Pittsburgh.
Speaker 8: Now, I know he missed a couple games with injuries, but what has it been about Pittsburgh that has kind of signing him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that that they played well against us and we haven't played well against them, you know, in that sense, you know, as far as moving the ball and scoring points and all that. So this is a new game. You know, we don't live in the past, and we're moving forward and trying to We don't live in the past game. We don't live in the past record, None of that matters. It's the next game, no matter what happens. You got to you get ready for the next football game in National Football League. So but we'll look at it, you know scientifically, you go back and watch all the games and try to make sure that we that we're doing the things we need to do to win this particular game.
Speaker 9: I know they're focused on point and the improve the coverage in the back end of pass rush. Thows the night might have been the best team wide pass rush that you've had on here. You know, some people pointing to the traps shows being back healthy would play the season high and stats. What does he bring for you in the front, whether we're talking pass rusher, was stopping the run and then you know, he's not someone who shows up on the sets sheet a whole lot of the traditional sets.
Speaker 5: What makes him so valuables what you guys do up front, right, I mean, you know, the inside pass rushes are really important, is a big deal, and it doesn't always show up with sacks. You know, a lot of times it shows up with just pressing the pocket, shallowing the pocket out for the quarterback if his depth of the pocket and he's got room to step up and make throws and you know, you know, in the game, you know Burrow did step up and had a couple of throws, but a lot of times he didn't wasn't able to step up. And that was the that was, that was, That was all those guys, And of course Travis was who you mentioned. I thought he did a great job of that and he always has.
Speaker 8: John. I guess if people look at the if you at look at the numbers, a lot of the big players that you've given up in coverage have been been in zone looks. If you desert of explain to people what you think are the fundamentals of playing zone coverage? Well, what what are What are the key things?
Speaker 5: Uh? The basic thing is to keep the ball inside and in front. It's most fundamental level. I think whether it's zone applies to run defense as well. I got to keep the ball in front of you. We believe in top down principles for sure. Sometimes we're in spot zone, sometimes we're in match zone. Sometimes we're in fire zone. Sometimes we're in two deep, sometimes we're in three deep. All those things are different, and they have different ways of playing routes. But the bottom line is that you want to keep the ball in front of you and you want to be able to see your threats and the ball. That's important and maybe that's sometimes that stayed in terms of playing where now you can't if you're running with a route downfield or you're impressed coverage, that can be zone as well. And it looks like man, it's kind of a man version of zone. You're still gonna be able to find the ball. And uh that's kind of where it starts.
Speaker 7: Became official.
Speaker 4: How do you see him fitting in and what do you like about what keep bring?
Speaker 5: Yeah, just a first of all, high level human being, great guy. Uh, everybody that's been around him says that, uh, high level competitor, a tough, tough guy, you know, willing to uh to get out there and play hard like we like. So we respect that about him. Uh, we expect him to get in there and start taking snaps in the rotation, you know and at corner. So, uh, that's why we traded for him. So we're looking forward to it. I know he's excited.
Speaker 2: John with that, Deontay Johnson, it seems like his workload is starting to increase. Do you imagine this week kind of maybe looking a little more in terms of his workload, like what you expected to be throughout the rest of to.
Speaker 5: See absolutely absolutely see same kind of conversation. And he's been here now for somewhat of a number of practices. I mean last week wasn't We only had one practice that was really where he has got a chance to move around. But I would expect that to ramp up.
Speaker 7: Yes, Uh is do you guys see babies player as an outside.
Speaker 5: Corner in this you guys not around as an outside corner. Yeah, that's where he's played mostly.
Speaker 8: John, You look at the division, Raven Steelers have kind of separated himselves a little bit down of the division.
Speaker 9: How big do you think Sunday's game could be determining who gets the division title?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know it's it's if you want to win the division, you gotta win division games, you know. So that's that's the that's the deal.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: They've had a great season. I mean, they've done a great job against the people they've played against, you know, and they've they've found ways to win different kind of different ways. Defense has been very consistent. Uh, pass rush obviously, it starts with the pass rush for them, and the run defense. That's where they that's where they start. And then you've got to deal with that. And then obviously there I think their safeties and the corners do a great job at triggering versus run and getting up there and making tackles. And then they you know, they're very aggressive and coverage. So and you know what, every year for the last seventeen years, that's what you could say about Pittsburgh's defense. You know, they they take on that personality and it goes all the way back. You know, Mike has done a great job with that. He's a defensive coach and all respect for that, and then you can go back to coach Kauer, you know, and you go back to coach No. You know, they were all it's all in the same vein the consistency with that. Offensively, they've they've done a great job with with different the two different quarterbacks. Now they've got Russell back Russ. We all of respect for Russ and what he does well, and I think they're leaning into his skill set, you know, and they've got some receivers that match that up a little bit. Offensive line continues to grow, and they got they got two really good backs. So that's who they are right now.
Speaker 6: And Keith Mitchell obviously came back. What do two things do you anticipate, you know, continuing to use him in that kickoff role? And and what did you see from him, you know, outside the obvious?
Speaker 5: So if you would pretty fast, Yeah, I mean, Keaton's a really good football player, you know, so he'll he'll he'll in that that role as a running back.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: It's got some special teams elements to it for sure. And boy liked the ball in his hands, So head him back there and kickoff, kickoff return. I'm sure he'll be on some other phases, but really we started working him into the into the offense as well. That's definitely, you know, I do. I do see a little bit of a three headed monster there potentially, you know, And we'll see where that goes over the next course of the games and hopefully that's something that can start to develop for us.
Speaker 4: You said after the game, describe the Tucker mission.
Speaker 8: Is just a bad swing when you look at against or anything more to that, or is it just a bad kid?
Speaker 5: That's how I would describe it. I really rather lean on what Justin would say. You know, I don't want to speak for him on any kick, you know, other than great kick you know, but I watch him in practice. I watch the practice tape, and he's he's he's doing great. You know, he's he's been kicking the ball super well, and but he's had some of these that just haven't gone through for him, you know, And and those are broken down, you know, inch by inch. That's what we do, break him down inch by inch. And and he's his own biggest critic for sure, So I think by his standard, he'd probably say.
Speaker 2: That, John, I know every game is important for you guys, but this week obviously Pittsburgh, but the you know what it means for standards person, it's just.
Speaker 5: In your own division.
Speaker 7: Do you relate that to the guys?
Speaker 2: You know, does your speech change this week considering how big this game is?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we just it doesn't. It doesn't change in this sense as I tell him that every week, you know, not that it's it's all Every game is a big game. And that's the thing in this league. I think it's really important to understand. I mean, you know, the more games you win, the better your position is. And you know, it's not like basketball or baseball where you play all those games. Hockey you only play seventeen regular season games soon to be eighteen, you know, but that's not that many in terms of what they mean. Every game is really super important, and then when you play in your division, they kind of become twice as important because you give your division rival a loss, so it separates you really in one and a half games at least. So that's just something that we really just have to understand, but we always do. That's why we say division games are so important. Pittsburgh is seven and two, you know, so that becomes become part of the part of the equation for sure. But in the end, that's not what matters. What matters is how we play. We go in there and execute, We go in there and play, you know, the brand of football that we're used to playing, that we know that we're gonna play, and then we let the chips fly.
Speaker 7: Wilson earlier, I don't know.
Speaker 9: How much you got into the opinion game, but how have you seen him elevate the Steelers' offense or just win few green for what you know of him to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean he's making plays in the passing game for him. You know, he's doing a good job in the boots to play action drop back passes. Uh, he's he's using a full depth of field, you know. You know, he's always been known for throwing the throwing the Russell Wilson deep ball, So he does that. He gets out and runs around, scrambles around, makes some throws, makes a couple of runs here and there. So you know, he's kind of doing what he's always done, and that's Uh, that's always impressive.
Speaker 9: Roger Nay and Siny say, if you haven't seen too much from the rookiew class behind the scenes, how would you say they've developed as a whole.
Speaker 5: I think class is doing a good job, developing very well. You know, you have to go buy guy by guy because every scenario is a little different.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 5: Some guys have had some injuries they've had to deal with and stuff like that. I think they've all, I've all met their circumstances where they're at in the best possible way. Uh, Individually, not disappointed with anybody. I think they're all doing well, and I think they're all going to be good players.
Speaker 7: He coached us.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the division, when did the HBO cameras start showing up full time that you thought about.
Speaker 9: After the Chargers?
Speaker 7: Have you thought about how you're gonna handle that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, we're not gonna do anything different, you know, We're just gonna be us. That's how That's how we're gonna handle it.
Speaker 8: I'm very genuine, pretty real.
Speaker 4: As you look at things secondary, do you see Brandon Stevens halls and a guy who can move around and perhaps play some safety if you need HI there Brandon Stevens moving to seety potentially?
Speaker 5: No, that's not really on the table right now. It's a it's a he's got a big job right now he's trying to take care of If you're talking about deep safety, you know, now we move guys around underneath all the time. All right, all right, great.
Speaker 1: Thanks you're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. Make sure you hit that subscribe button. Also subscribe to the Ravens Lounge podcasts feet as well. Thank you so much for listening. We'll be back with you again on Wednesday.