Speaker 1: On today's episode, we are reacting to the Marvel D twenty three panel as well as ranking our top twenty five.
Speaker 2: X men will.
Speaker 1: Hello, My name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosy night, and welcome back to X Revision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics of pop culture company from my heart, where we're bringing you three episodes.
Speaker 2: A weekday last days on Saturday.
Speaker 3: And guess what, guys, get a little secret news right now, because if you listen to our news episode of last week, you had me doing a midnight missive on my couch from D twenty three to make sure that we were not behind on those updates. But you did not get to me and Jason chop up that X Men casting. You did not get to it to us. Respond to the Internet's response, which was, you know, notoriously terrible as always, But I'm very excited about this.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to talk about this.
Speaker 3: Of course, me and Jason have been waiting for years to tell you about a top twenty five X men without it being a diverudgent topic from a different movie.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this is it. Maybe.
Speaker 1: But first let's go to the headlines. And the big news from D twenty three, which is the ex cast has been at least partially announced. We don't know how many more people. We don't know how many more people are going to be announced later on, but they did announce a good core of names and it's I think super exciting. So we already know that Sadie Sink is Jean Gray. Saty Sink as Jean Gray was brought out to the stage. Kid Connor announced as Scott summer Cyclops that had weaked previously. Christopher Abbott is our first hot Charles Xavier. Although yes, you could say McAvoy, we've had a hot Charles before.
Speaker 3: I would also say the big thing here that I think people are really excited about is that christ Babbott. His dad is Caribbean, so this is also like our first kind of you know, person of color Charles, Charles, the first matiracial Charles that the people are excited about it. That was a big new surprise because the big rumor going into this had been potentially that scar'sguard had been on tap for I think that would have been about a magneto casting.
Speaker 2: So I can still wait for that. Chris Abbot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great, surprise Indie kind of darling one of our big we hadn't heard about it in the trades. Officially castings from that night.
Speaker 1: Samorrow Weaving am a frost that at least fantastic as Emma in a white dress.
Speaker 2: She knew what she was doing.
Speaker 1: Breakout Star of Obsession, Indian Ever Ready as Roague.
Speaker 3: Well, that was again huge because she'd actually been out there asking for mystique. We weren't sure if Kaylee Spenny had got rogue. That we had heard that Charles Melton, her Beef Coast, had turned down Beasts, so maybe she also chose to turn it down. But I love this casting. I think it's going to get the kids to the cinema. I think Indy's amazing. If you haven't seen her, she played a similar to Obsession role in the CW Superman and Lois Show, in which she really shone and allegedly is where she got picked for Obsession. So yeah, I'm very excited to see her in that role. And that to me also implies that we're going to get kind of crazy superpowered death, you know, stealing Captain Marvel's powers.
Speaker 2: Rogue if you cost me in d.
Speaker 3: Maya Boid huge because not named at all as a potential in the lead.
Speaker 1: Up Maya boid is o Romanroe Storm huge. I mean this is our first Broadway trained storm. Very excited about.
Speaker 3: This, very x Men animated ninety seven coded right to have the thespian storm.
Speaker 1: And then the big reveal Adam Driver as mister Sinister Nathaniel Milberry slash Nathaniel Essex. I guess yes, I think we know that it's Milbury and not Essex.
Speaker 2: I think it we know that because that is what. So the way that.
Speaker 3: The present went down was we all learned that clearly Adam Driver spent the Star Wars money and they convinced him to come back. And we love that because he's amazing. He brought so much gravitask to Kylo Ren he's funny. But what we learned through his video where he was on the Pinewood studios, they obviously need him there the costuming or to get ready. So he was like, oh, I couldn't you know? I thought I was supposed to be here. And he was like, so I'm playing Magneto. Oh, actually more exciting, I'm playing Nathaniel Milbury. Now I think the reason he chose to say that is a because the MCU loves to use like a deeper cut name, but also because if you say Nathaniel Essex there would have been more of a response. Hilariously, my TikTok video does capture me being the only one who knew what that meant, and then I spent the next hour explaining to everyone else who he was who kept asking me. So, yeah, I think that's banger casting. I did not see Adam Driver as Miss Magneto. That Rima was crazy to me. I think him as mister Sinister.
Speaker 2: Is uh may Zing. Yeah, I will say Jason.
Speaker 3: To be in the room for this was pretty special. It was giving hale h like the kids were excited. I think Maya, who is also an incredible singer who we have seen in Merrily We Roll Along, and most famously I think was and Juliet, and I just think that this is a young, interesting cost of character actors from interesting projects.
Speaker 2: It's giving phase one and that's what they needed to do.
Speaker 3: This is not like crazy stunt casting. This is some shit is going to go down in upstate New York.
Speaker 1: I am quite intrigued by what a Mister Sinister X movie could mean. And I think here are just some stray thoughts that passed through my head. Love it was watching this reveal one. I think there's a world in which Milberry and Charles. That Milbury's character kind of overlaps with comic book Moira, meaning that Charles and he are like co researchers into the mutant issue.
Speaker 3: It feels like also they could be working together to try it right, get rid of Spider Man's mutant inhibitor, or make something against it.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's some kind of science element that could I.
Speaker 1: Bet you it will not be that. I think, I bet you it will be something like Charles is interested in mutants and maybe is a in the closet mutant himself, using his powers and fits and starts. No Cerebro yet, but he's just trying to understand mutation and maybe help young mutants like himself, like navigate the world. He meets Nathaniel Milberry or knows of him because they are partners in researching the mutant issue. Milbury is running a like an orphanage or some sort of state school hospital where Scott Summers is like has come through there. That's like he would have own about him already and that the crux of the movie again, this is just what I think it guesses, is Charles slowly uncovering that Nathaniel Milberry has a different plan going on, Yester sinister plan that is too. I mean, in the comics, he's basically obsessed with uniting the gray in Summer's bloodlines to create the super mutant Messiah.
Speaker 3: You know, it would be interesting if we met Nathaniel Milbray as perhaps like a professor or an assistant to Professor X, you know, kind of like honestly, again, Marvel.
Speaker 2: Likes to reuse beats.
Speaker 3: It's sort of what they tried to do with Sentry and Bob, but we all knew because of the comics. I wonder if there's a version where, you know, mild mannered Professor Adam Driver is a really fun comparison to completely flambuoyant, flaming mister Sinista, who's like, you know, imagine if you were the local you know, what do they call it, like a school nurse. Imagine if Nathaniel Milbery's they're like taking blood, checking in on the kids the whole time. He's that motherfucker's taking their DNA like he's melding that shit.
Speaker 2: He's making fucking clones.
Speaker 3: You know, we know they've established that there is now an underground allegedly illegal but we know Damage Control was working with the government, but Mitzger was experimenting on kids, on mutant kids like that is cannon.
Speaker 2: So you know, there's many ways they could go with mister Sinister. I also think it's really clever. There have been lots of rumors right now, will Magneto be Jewish?
Speaker 3: Will they be able to continue that storyline, will they be able to keep him as a Holocaust survivor? But just skip the drama, babe, Just don't put him in there right now, and wait till you get the perfect version, the perfect writer to make something special.
Speaker 1: I also think there's a world in which Sinister is behind the MCU version of Weapon X, and that that's how we That's.
Speaker 2: Why I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: Because also, if you look at the previous X Men movies, right they even do one of them, I believe it's.
Speaker 2: Like there's a future. No, I think it's apocalypse.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately X Men Apocalypse, the movie I do believe has a tag at the end after Beautiful Santa Stark. Jean Gray meets Logan Wolverine terrible choice and kind of helps him and they psychically connect. At the end, there is a tag of like a Mister Sinister, kind of a Nathaniel Essex suitcase, so like this is something they've wanted to do before. There are probably scripts going around, there are probably concepts. I wonder if at any point in Logan when they were doing that stuff, they'd considered kind of a grounded mister Sinister. There's so many interesting ways to go with it. And also, Jason, if we think about mister Sinister as like a mutant villain, and we think about the in my opinion justified rampage of Geen Gray and New York recently, we are establishing a set of characters who could really be fucking pissing off the human status quo in the MCU around heroes.
Speaker 1: I also think that if if you think about it like as a new type of Phase one launch, but this oriented around the ex universe, Sinister could be like the Phase one villain, with Apocalypse being the later villain as you discover like, oh, how did Sinister get his powers? Et cetera. I also think other thought, I think that Rogue will start as a villain. Agree, I think she will be in mister Sinister's orbit. I also wonder if Sinister, in seeking to like purify the mutant bloodlines, m launches the MCU version of a mutant massacre to kill like powered mutants who were powered not by evolutionary selection. They're like mutates like Deadpool, like Spider Man, and he's like, these are impure mutants and we got to kill them.
Speaker 2: Wow, kind of like no more mutant, Miss Marvel or something. Wow, that could be incredible.
Speaker 3: Actually, Jason, I think you might be onto something there because think about a great way to have Kamala be in there is we know that she is both a human, she is both an inhuman and a mutant, so there is a chance where she can essentially like survive, you know, so that she could be the one who is able to do Wow.
Speaker 2: I love this. I think that is really just a great call. And also I gotta say it.
Speaker 3: Feels weird to feel excited about the MCU again like in this way.
Speaker 2: Yea, But I really I love the logo.
Speaker 3: I think it looks so different, this kind of like down to earth, almost like Sentinel esque. Also, we got to talk about it Another thing that came out at this d twenty three was the kind of It was essentially the trailer that we had heard about for Doomsday, but it was so much better than the ones that we had officially seen. It has the Soux Storm voiceover, which is nice because no women talked in the last one talking about Victor and everything. But the real reason we have to talk about this context is at the end, Victor says two things. He says, you have lived stolen lives, and now you have to give them back, which is obviously our incursion. He's come to stop this kind of different version he sees because they stopped Fanos, an endgame I think is going to be an issue because they killed a different version of Thanos. And interestingly, the end of the movie is he says something along the side of like oh, Thor says to him, you're gonna wish you were in Hell once you'd gone through me or something, and Doom says Hell stands with Doom and pulls Sentinels out of the ground.
Speaker 2: So at least in.
Speaker 3: Doomsday we are going to get a version of the comics accurate Sentinels, right and they So this is again another reason why I think all of this X Men stuff is laying the groundwork, Kevin Faggy said at Doomsday at the Doomsday trailer reveal at d twenty three, this is the first time you'll ever see the Avengers the Fox X Men, and you know, are the Marvel heroes like fighting together on screen, you know? And I thought it was very specific that they were still calling them the Fox x Men. So I think I really do finally believe that Doomsday will say goodbye.
Speaker 2: To that era.
Speaker 3: I didn't believe it because I think that this is money for them. But I think you are right, Jason. I think your likelihood of people dying is high, and I think this is an X Men cost that is so solid it actually could carry the next ten years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that. I think that if Figy has a strategic plan, it's to use, as I've said before, use Doomsday and Secret Wars as like a soft reboot to kind of usher the past Avengers and cast members off the stage in a way that like it really squeezes all the juice that's left in the Orange out right and then reorient the world around the X Men. I think that there's, you know, a possibility that whatever happens to the universe the timeline post Secret Wars like really accelerates mutation. Like obviously there are mutants already in the world. That's happened, and Sadie Sincas Jean Gray already exists. We don't know if Charles is already here or to what extent a school if it does exist in he's very.
Speaker 3: Young, so right, I think whatever it is, we're seeing the baby stages.
Speaker 1: But what I'm saying is it might be that after Secret Wars, suddenly the mutant issue comes to the forefront because there's so many mutants being born.
Speaker 3: Now, I think you're right, let's go a little deeper into theories because we've been waiting all this time for.
Speaker 2: The X Men.
Speaker 3: I also wonder if that could even happen at the end of Doomsday, because our current theory is like the Doomsday will end with Battleworld. Right, if you think about the psychic and you know, physical impact of a thousand cities, thousand universes being slammed together into a single world, that seems like something where you could very easily argue that that could.
Speaker 2: Enhance mutant space. Also, like this is crazy. I don't think they're going to do this, but if they wanted to, there is a.
Speaker 3: Version where the X part of battle World is just Krokoa or Genosha or somewhere when everyone is basically protected empowered in a way that kind of allows there to be a very hardcore mutant element. I don't think they're going to do it with like a Crocoa, because I think that will be another era. But I do think you're right, Jason. I think there's going to be a reason and a space for many more mutants.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I will also say, remember, we know that there is at least like a very kind of standard amount of like medium powered, like three D man level mutants because of Sheehok.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I wonder if something happens with Secret Wars or Doomsday where we essentially whatever starts the spike in mutant births is also a spark in secondary mutations, because then we could essentially say, hey, look there were Yeah, you've seen this guy who's like he can jump off a building and survive. He's a skin stretchy or whatever. But in the secondary mutation version, suddenly these people who had like weird powers suddenly have great powers or scary powers or a mega level powers. I think they could do something really interesting with that, especially because we are obviously gonna learn around about how mutation works alongside the MCU because we were learning about it with Bill Metzka.
Speaker 1: I think that Well, here's my other thought about Sinister is that Sinister is not like you don't have a big showdown with mister Sinister at the end of a movie or a comic book arc. He's not like a brawler. You're not gonna sit there and f macinator. He's a machinator. He's a planner, which is why I feel like whether it's I mean, immediately my mind goes to Marauders like he must he will have assembled some team of mutant killers.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I think Marauder is pretty honestly pretty safe get bet because at d twenty three they had a night Crowller in his like pirate swashbuckling era, and that's very inherently connects me to that kind of Marauder space.
Speaker 1: Which is why I think when you mentioned like from you know, she helped these kind of like mid level mutates and mutants. Again, if it is a mister Sinister who wants to so in the comics, the reason and it wasn't revealed for like fifteen years.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: You never knew why Sinister launched the mutant massacre, and then like fifteen years later, in continuity, you figured out it's because like one of his acolytes stole his research, and that's how the Morlocks basically started, as like they mutated because of like this stolen mister Sinister research, and he basically wanted to like cleanse his IP, you know, like kill everybody who had stolen his bootleg stuff and create a bootleg mutants. And so I think that there's a world in which some of these mid range mutants currently existing in the MCU were mutated with stolen or bootleg and Nathaniel Millbury research, And so he launches the mutant massacre to just kind of clear the decks of I'm gonna and purify his research.
Speaker 2: I'll bate the discord go crazy with this one.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna make you go crazy because Jason, you blow in my mind because you know what the MCU does not have does not have a fucking Norman Osborne. We don't know who's fucking spider bit spider Man, right, we don't know whose research was the research.
Speaker 2: That would be let us crazy.
Speaker 3: Like I'm not saying it's gonna be Nathaniel Milbury, but I think now that you're talking about this idea of almost like how he was in the Krakoa era, which guys, is so fucking funny, but he was like it was very much.
Speaker 1: He should do an episode where we should do an episode about I mean, we could do an entire crocoa series of podcasts because there's so much to dig into.
Speaker 3: But I would also say a lot of what they were drawing on there was this kind of concept and throughout his history has been this concept of fun agricultural diversion. Here, guys, but how corporations will create certain strains of seeds, copyright them, and then if the seeds are blown into other farms by the nature of the wind, they will sue the farm for stealing the copyright. And I think that is a really good way to look at mister Sinister and the way he sees mutant DNA is it is kind of his ip that he can fuck around with. That is going to be so fun to see Adam Driver do that. Also, think about so many people sent this to me and added me on the day that they announced this, But think about that SNL skit with Adam Driver where he plays the undercover boss version of Kylo.
Speaker 2: This is a man who's actually very fucking funny.
Speaker 3: If you've seen the Jim John Moush movie Dead Don't Die, He's gonna be Murray. I think the comedy chops of Sinister him, mixed with the absolute ability to break your heart when he has like that moment with his dad in the first Star Wars sequel movie, Force awakens him and hand on that bridge, you know what's gonna happen every single time, and you still believe that he might not do it like that gravitas mixed with his comedy chops could make this a generational tiar casting.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be great. And if it is Marauders, because again, who do the X Men fight? Obviously they'll fight each.
Speaker 2: Other and the Avengers at some point or a right.
Speaker 1: But in this movie, who do they fight? Sinister is not again, the type of villain that you have this all out brall with and so I do it leads me to believe like he will have hench people and maybe that means Marders. And here's my one concern of this cast, which I love. If Indy doesn't have the Southern accent, don't force it.
Speaker 2: I think. I think it's fine. I'm not worried about it. She's didn't have the but it's fine.
Speaker 3: You know what, She's done a CW, she was in this W for a while. She's done a bunch of different little indie movies, so I actually think she's gonna be a bit of a chameleon. I didn't give it a try, but yeah, if it doesn't work, obviously, I'm excited to see the wigs because this is some characters who have hair, like the Rogue hair, the Storm hair options, the Adam Driver hair options, also Christopher Abbott. Are we gonna get Charles with hair again? Is this gonna be a James McAvoy situation.
Speaker 2: I think he could look good bold. I'm feeling like I might buzz cut my hair. Guys, I got two.
Speaker 3: Hours sleep on like fucking Saturday Sunday night, so I'm like I was trying to buzz cut my hair yesterday, thinking a Charles Xavier. There's gonna be some great wigs, some crazy Jean Gray hair.
Speaker 2: Also Jason, I want to.
Speaker 3: Say yes, I saw a lot of people in denial after seeing Samara Weaving and Kick Connor and Sadie Sick on that stage.
Speaker 2: They were saying, this is weird. She's too old. She's ten years older than them. It's fine, calm down.
Speaker 3: They are consented, and this is a movie like Guys Do Not Purity Culture, one of the best milkiest threesomes in the world. That's gonna happen. That's why they put the three of them in the movie together.
Speaker 2: Also, and then by the way that happened, that might three movies.
Speaker 3: And also as well, Samara can play younger, both of them can play older or younger, Like, calm down there, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: Jason, who would you ram this team out with?
Speaker 3: Because I will say I Faii did tell on stage. He very specifically said, this.
Speaker 2: Is not the full team.
Speaker 3: Don't freaking out. There's more X men coming. Who do you think needs to be on it to make this work?
Speaker 1: Well, I've been hanging on this theory for a while, which I've talked about, which will lay out, just because I think it's important to the rounding out the team question. That there are mutants currently in the MCU post Secret Wars some one or a handful of mutants who came from the dystopian versions of the timeline where mutants are rounded up and kept in tournament camps will enter the main MCU, join the X Men, and they're gonna be the ones who are like, yeah, yeah, it's very cute. You guys want to be superheroes. You don't understand they're gonna round us all up and kill us. Yeah, literally, you don't get it.
Speaker 3: This is tied in to one of my favorite eras too, because with Indy involved in that might Carry era, you really are getting like Rogue's death. Rogue is the one who's trying to warn people like in my fucking universe, in this age of X Universe, it is concentration camps mutants speaking.
Speaker 2: I think, like, you're fucking right.
Speaker 1: So I think there will be one or a selection of characters who come from that other universe who are primarily the ones that make mutants like increasingly militant as they stick around and see as they look around and see like, oh shit, like they are working on this like power dampening technology. They are working on these camps. Oh shit, they are sentinel technology that does look like that could become Sentinel technology, and so who could that be. I think it could be if we think about time traveling, you know, like I don't know, it could be Kitty Pride. I think there's space for Kitty Pride team.
Speaker 2: I'd love that.
Speaker 1: I think that it could be. This is a long shot, but it could be. I think it could be Wolverine, like a younger recast Wolverine that they that the future I have memory.
Speaker 3: You say it's a long shot, but I also think alongside Storm who we now know that I think they've got a great cost in college. And listen, Wolverine is the hardest person to cost.
Speaker 2: You got to make him young and sure and old and sexy and not Hugh Jackman like it does so much to it.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, we're not going to get the Emma Jean Scott love triangle in this movie. Not gonna get it for a while. Like it's when they do it. I think it's gonna be like a shocking, shocking reveal later on. But if you bring like a young, scrappy Logan from another universe, I think you could have. They have to will they won't they Scott and Gene first movie, they can't just get together. And so I think a Logan love triangle like where you're like, she's being pulled in these various directions, which way is she gonna go? I think that is wonderful dramatic juice if they use Logan as this.
Speaker 2: Character to actually Jason, because you can do some.
Speaker 3: Beats from the first movie in a way less problematic way, like the Logan Rogue stuff where the chemistry was always there even though he was supposed to be like this older figure. If you have Indie and because Rogue is, like you said, probably gonna be a villain originally, if you have Indian Wolverine on the same side and Sadie and Kit on opposite sides, but then one of them starts, you know, Sadie starts to become more radicalized, and you sort of have that core for like antagonists love triangle situation. I could be really into that. I think Logan is a big one. I think the biggest one. And I saw this on my TikTok. I saw it on my Instagram when I was posting. So many people I do not follow ask me where mystique was. That is to them because of the movies, I think, and I will say we're going to get into our top twenty five. You know, I will argue for what if she should be on the X Men list rather than.
Speaker 2: The villains or both.
Speaker 3: But I do think that I think when it comes to impact, when it comes to recognizability, when it comes for characters who have been represented in both the comics and the TV shows that people care about, it's mystique. And I mean Carmen has been on this tair for a long time. Super producer Carmen Lorenz, we love her. Sorry, Carmen Laurent, she's fancier than me.
Speaker 2: But Hunter Shafer mystique question mark. We love the concept. Can they do a trans villain antagonist right now in a sensible way? We'd love to see it.
Speaker 3: But the kind of idea of a shape shifting and you know, Young more likely to be cast than the Queen herself till the Swinton but Hunter gets a lot of Till the Swinton comparisons. I think that could be really cool, and I do think that gonna for the fans to be excited. I think a mystique is important. I also think there's a lot of fun stuff you can do with mystique and Emma.
Speaker 1: I think that they who else could I see? I mean, I think Gambit will be a villain.
Speaker 3: It feels like he's gonna be in this right, So look, I'm not gonna lie my dream When they said that Charles turned down Beast is because he knows he should be Gambit.
Speaker 2: He would be an incredible Gambit. He's charming, he's funny. I'm sure he could do the accent. Rivedell did a lot of accents.
Speaker 1: I think he probably turned on Beast because he doesn't want to wear a blue makeup. Yeah, so let's be real.
Speaker 3: Marvel has a historical problem of always casting people of color and then covering them in makeup.
Speaker 2: Right, So, like, I would love if we turn around because like.
Speaker 3: Indy Rogue with Charles Gambit, like you would be fucking cooking on.
Speaker 2: And again like that.
Speaker 1: So, and I do think that there's a world in which you do assemble the original five with Angel, Beast and Iceman to round out with Jean Gray and Cyclops, and then you kill one or two of them, and that spurs Charles too, you know, Deadly Genesis this thing and giant size X men this thing, and go, okay, we need other people who do we got and maybe then they round it out with the classic giant sized team.
Speaker 2: But you know, I think I mean, if I had to pick Stormer.
Speaker 4: On it is positive for the Giants, right, And I think if I had to pick one character who I think is for sure, who is not announced and is for sure in this.
Speaker 1: I think it's probably I think it's probably Gambit.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: What about you if you had to pick one character who is not who is not announced, who is you think is Pride?
Speaker 3: I do think it's gonna I think they'll go young Misty. I think that she's been a member. I think it's gonna be hot, but I would love to see both. Also, Figy did make a point of being like, this is just some of the X Men, so I think they're aware that one of our biggest jokes and also one of the reasons why we love so many X Men fans loved the latest stage stuff, especially the original sequels and the Day's of Future Past era. They understood that to have a full score means you have to have like hundreds of mutants.
Speaker 2: Right, and you're not gonna see all of them. You're not gonna get to know all of them.
Speaker 3: But you're gonna get to see Cannibal for a moment, or you're gonna get see where I go through a wall.
Speaker 2: Right. I think the MCU will also understand that.
Speaker 3: Even though I do think this is gonna be kind of a ramshackle strip mall version of the X Men, I do think that we'll probably end up with at least ten mutants in this movie, is my guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's take a quick break and we'll be back with our top twenty five X Men list. Our individual top.
Speaker 2: Twenty five, we will find out are very similar.
Speaker 1: Okay, our top twenty five x Men according to us. Now we'll just kind of do our list separately. I'll go first, but let me first tell you go fast, because.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna highlight as you go all the ones that I concluded and then give you a NUMBERUS.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, here's my formula.
Speaker 2: Because what I don't vot do, I based it onto what I.
Speaker 1: Didn't want to do, was like, oh, here are my top twenty five favorite X Men. I tried to be as unbiased about it as as possible, and so I used kind of like five factors, four factors, five for the villains, which we'll get into when we do our villains later in the week, but four factors for the heroes. One is essentialness, So it's like a counterfactual test if this character never existed, how much of X Men history has to be rewritten and recreated to impact? So like, what did the character actually do? What were the storylines? How many times did they lead their own series, institutions, deaths, wars, family trees, like what do they really influence? Popularity? Right, name recognition? Do people know this character? How popular are they to the fan base? And then kind of the most ambiguous is just the coolness, you know, costume design, power, et cetera. So that is those are my factors and to kind of quickly build off that, to me, relationships matter the most. You know, the X We've said a million times the X Men are like a family. The most connections that a character has, the more connections, the higher you rank them. So romances, major friendships, major interpersonal relationships. These are all I think important and speak to the essentialness factor and popular current cultural heat counts under popularity, so like appearing in Marvel Rivals, the video game, etc. Okay, here are my top twenty five number one. Wolverine not my favorite, but I don't think anybody can say that he wasn't the breakout star of the X Men for thirty or forty years. True had his own solo series that ran for many, many years, and number one was in like two hundreds, et cetera. He was just like a huge, huge star in the eighties and nineties and continues to be a huge star. So Wolverine number one, number two Jeene Gray. Why because out of four and you could argue more characters currently on my list, and certainly on the villain list, none of some of them, just simply four of these would not exist without Geen Gray. Cable is her son Rachel Summers, her is her daughter Matt n Pryor on the villain side. Strife on the villain side wouldn't exist. The Dark Phoenix saga, her relationship with Scott, the love triangle with Scott and Emma like one of the most iconic romances, the love triangle with Logan, Like, there's just so many connections. And even when she wasn't on the team, she was on the team because her clone was on the team. So it's like just a us undeniable impact by that same token, I simply had to have Cyclopsis number three the Summers Dynasty. There's the whole rest of his family with Corsair and Havoc and Vulcan, his Space, his absentee Space pirate Dad, who became a secondary character his own right. The fact that sinister major villain in the ex universe and in Marvel is basically exists because he's obsessed with Scott. Yeah, like ed literally it is huge. And for me, the fact that in the past twenty years he's morphed basically into becoming the best version of Magneto, like a militant leader who I love that holds both the Charles legacy and the Magneto legacy together, like in his mind. You know, Cyclops was right that whole thing. I just think he's He's number three for me, number four Storm correct.
Speaker 2: She should be in that top five whatever.
Speaker 1: Fifty year history, a decade as the leader of the team, led the team with no powers at all, you know, and Ben Scott in a fight while he had powers. She's currently you know, leading her own solo title. Is a member of the Avengers Crazy Soul.
Speaker 3: In the X Men animated series, two, like when you were a kid, that was the character you quote it the thespian stormlines.
Speaker 2: You know, she was the monologust.
Speaker 1: Huge popularity, huge coolness factor. You know, coming out of the crocoa era has reached new heights. Obviously her relationship with Wakanda it has to be Storm.
Speaker 3: Also, she's also like the most baddest wanted bitch in the whole of the MCU, like Doom wants her, Tony's wanted her, thoughs wanted her. Like her impact romantically and as like a romantic and literal goddess is undeniable.
Speaker 2: Every strong man is obsessed with Storm.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean she's she was royalty before she was royalty professor.
Speaker 2: Okay, I agree, hate to hear it.
Speaker 1: By listen, you hate to hear it. The coolness is obviously worth very little. He's a bald man in a wheelchair for most of his career.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's not make it able, ass, Jason. Wheelchair people could be cool to bald.
Speaker 1: He's a bald liar.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's a bald liar. He's ad war.
Speaker 1: He's a bald as his career. But you know, there's no X Men without him, and so yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Have to put him up there.
Speaker 1: And and I would say that despite all the ship that we've given him.
Speaker 2: He's got his place, he's done his things.
Speaker 1: He even when he's overstepped, and it's been many times erasing memories, creating memories.
Speaker 3: Locking people's powers, controlling people face.
Speaker 1: And sending them on suicide missions and then covering the child soldiers. Yeah, but we like him for that. Let's that. Let's not be hypocritical.
Speaker 2: We like the child, we like him.
Speaker 1: He did that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I wish he's not a bit older.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yes, but even when he made those mistakes, it was like it was from a good place. I'm not saying he like Obviously he's a bad guy in a sense, had intentions, he was he a little naive the dream and all that. Yes, but again I do think the dream has changed in Cyclops to become something higher and more realistic and and something more effective by merging with the philosophy Magneto. Yes. Next is Magneto the only character to spoiler on my who makes both my the top ten of both lists for me?
Speaker 2: Interesting? Interesting?
Speaker 1: You know New Mutant's headmaster, Xavier's designated successor, which was a shocker, quiet Council seat dies to protect the mutant race from you know, during fall of x Magneto was right. Was I think the biggest I would argue the biggest threat to the Xavier ideology was the whole Magneto was Right movement.
Speaker 3: I want to say, big reason I think that they're not bringing it in right now, so complicated to bring to life.
Speaker 2: But you're so right, Jason.
Speaker 3: I also just want to point out here slight difference in ranking, which we'll get into, but so far six for six and we did not we did not go through these lists before. This guy is yet so so far with a different different you're in organization, but that old aphemy and yeah, six all the same.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: Number seven Emma Frost, the babe you know fourteen years is the Hellfire Club's white queen, but then thirty two years as really a crucial in core x Men. This was like one of the big swings of the of the Grant Morrison x Men era, and it is I think the most durable, the one in his spade, the longest is Emma. Actually can't imagine.
Speaker 3: Together the kind of growth that they had in that comment changed the way so many of us perceived them forever.
Speaker 1: It was so controversial and you can't really imagine the team without her. She's arrogant, she's posh.
Speaker 2: She incredibly powerful.
Speaker 1: She's incredibly powerful. But also, like you, despite past arcs where you kind of doubted, like, oh, would she ever? Is she portraying the X Men, Is she secretly hell fire? You don't doubt that anymore. She's you know, pure x mens, sole survivor of Genosha, which created her secondary mutation. She's huge Number eight rogue. This is where it gets very close to me, and I think you could make plausible arguments for certain characters, jumping over certain characters. She's got one of the coolest and most impactful arcs going from villain to hero.
Speaker 2: In X history.
Speaker 1: She has, I would argue, along with the death of Uncle Ben, the one genuinely unreversed comics thing in comics history is that she absorbed Carol Danver's psyche and powers. They never reversed it. And you know, the romance with Gambit is just huge, huge, huge, huge, huge, like the that was the ultimate for my comics reading Origin story, like the ultimate. Will they won't they? Because you know they can't touch and when we'll y ever be able to touch, And it was just this forlorn romance.
Speaker 3: I would also say as well, like it was such a huge impact guys from the animated series, and it was like years of fan yanning that led to us getting like a Kelly Thompson Rogue and Gambit story that was its own like mini series in like twenty seventeen. So it's been a long lasting fan passion and I think that's why X Mend ninety seven hit so well.
Speaker 2: And yeah, obviously Rogue is also in my top.
Speaker 1: Ten, number nine to nine for nineties cable, you know, nineties coded with the pouches, the arm, the glowing eye. That said, I think he has too many connections and not my favorite character by any means, but there's simply too many connections to the rest of X History and other characters to really deny. He turns the new Mutants into X Force, which is still a team that exists. He is the reason Strife exists, therefore the reason the Legacy virus exists.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 1: He of course is Scott and Jean's son from a different timeline, which is a huge thing played a crucial role in the Messiah complex plotline, Yeah, which brought the Mutants back to the forefront in terms of, you know, being back from extinction, and so you just kind of have to have him there, even though again not my favorite, you know who, One of my favorites is number ten Kitty Pride, the Audience Surrogate. Pride the Audience Surrogate for like thirty years since her introduction in the eighties, you know, right in the middle of Days of Future Past, which I think if you had to select one X Men arc to take with you to the Desert Island, I think a lot of people would take that, which is.
Speaker 3: Funny because you'd just be reading those same two issues over and over again, babe, but it would be worth it.
Speaker 1: Founding member of Excalibur, the relationship with Colossus, which is one of the cute most.
Speaker 3: Like relationshipsships have always.
Speaker 1: The kind of like moral ark bone of the X Men, along with Nightcrawler, who is coming quite soon on the list. So number ten Kity Pride to here we get into the second tier. Number eleven Nightcrawler. I moved him up late in my scoring. You know, he's one of the original giant size X Men era X Men Mystique's son, so has those connections. The religious core of him, I think is so important to who the X Men are. Wrote the Krokohen religion, the Krokohen mutant religion, just the hugely.
Speaker 3: Many impacts in different words. And he's also a nice guy, like nice.
Speaker 1: Guy and very cool. Number twelve Gambit. I don't love Gambit as a character that said, you can't deny how popular Gambit is not.
Speaker 3: He's like a venom level like, yeah, he broke out of containment. People who don't even like him cosplay him type guy.
Speaker 1: Very complicated, kind of anti hero in a way, you know, was bamboozled question Mark into the being complicit in the mutant massacre, which we can talk about at some future date. Uh led the more led the marauders to the morlocked tunnels, although he would argue he didn't know what was going on. Obviously.
Speaker 2: The relationships of my beloved Ballot.
Speaker 1: Yes became a horseman was dead for a period of time. His relationship with Rogue is I think essential to the X Men.
Speaker 2: I would also say, they said, you'll Baker. We realized, like I had never really just listed out all of the bad ship. He's done. He's like the X Men's bad Turtle. He's the sexy bat boy with a good heart. Right.
Speaker 3: That's like I'm realizing how much of his appeal is that because he often comes back.
Speaker 2: He always loves rogue. He does the right thing. But when you list it out like this, motherfucker's I mean, you.
Speaker 1: Know, complicit in the mutant Master, very tough.
Speaker 2: To come back from, Andy, very tough.
Speaker 1: Number thirteen Beast original five X Men, you know, the original for the team genius scientist character, which is a very very important role. And I would argue though there are other you know, Cipher, Prodigy, there's other characters that have stacks science that genius role. He is kind of the irreplaceable one of those. Just the secondary mutation and the devolving into the blue, furry haired mutant character. Aaron brought up a very important point, which is it's very important for the movies but for the comics that non human presenting mutants are represented, and he is one of those.
Speaker 3: And he is also I will say, I do think Beast is a very interesting, cool character because he is like very generally we know evil Beast and everything, but he's very much like he's the charming one. He's the smart one, he's the acceptable one, even though he looks very non presenting.
Speaker 2: So I do think he is important in that way.
Speaker 1: Number fourteen Colossus. You might argue that it's a little bit of a reach. He's never won a fight. I famously say that said, you know, one of the giant size eras the relationship with Kitty has mentioned Magic's brother, and then I think what put him here for me is that he does end the Legacy virus by himself deciding to you know, essentially sacrificing his life to end the Legacy virus. Number fifteen Silock one of the most confusing lore packages of all time.
Speaker 2: You could never even imagine the thing.
Speaker 1: She was originally Captain Britain's sister Betsy Braddock. Then she goes through the Siege Perilous, which we can't get into now, which is put an alternate dimensional portal that the nineties X men had access to, comes back as vaguely Asian coded. It's eventually retconned that yes, she switched bodies with an Asian woman named Kwanon, and so that's why she has looked Asian for last twenty years.
Speaker 2: And now Kwanon is a different character, and or Silo is the every character. Bessy Braddick is an every character. They finally split them apop. But no, you're right, Silock has to be on that. She has to be.
Speaker 1: Because for the coolest, and you know, one of the most is iconic and what was cool power Psychic Knife is incredible and.
Speaker 3: Also famously iconic action figure because the middle like three inch action figure was the same mold as Electra.
Speaker 2: They just changed the colors, so it's.
Speaker 3: Like she's just got so much lore and cannon and it was such a big deal. And also just like Jim Lee drawing Silocke is just crazy good chip, Like that's the shake.
Speaker 2: Sure, I love that.
Speaker 1: He just like went off. The Resin was like, now she's Asian, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah she came back, bitch dress it for twenty years.
Speaker 1: She's just vaguely Asian. She's sixteen and redcon to be yes, she is here, Yeah, sixteen magic founder, founding member of the New Mutants, rules her own dimension Limbo with her own pet.
Speaker 2: Like coolness as well.
Speaker 1: For the coolest, the charts goth look with the big sword and the cool head piece, the dark Child, I mean in Marvel Rivals, which is, you know, like coming your game. I just think, well, I just tell you to list off the charts.
Speaker 3: I do think that when it comes to out popular these characters are and how much knowledge there is of these characters, Marvel Rivals has changed that. Yeah, and completely because there are people who do not read comics who play Marvel Rivals and come and hang out with me when I'm chilling at the comic shop or the coffee shop, and they just ask me who the characters are.
Speaker 2: They go, oh, can you tell me the comic book characters? But who's this? Like what squirrel Girl do? Like who's magic? You know?
Speaker 3: And that is getting people into comics, Like it's a two way street, and I fucking love it. But yeah, I mean magic ar Queen.
Speaker 1: Number seventeen x twenty three, first kind of new, the newest, the first appearance of like a new fresher character. She took Wolf, she took the wolverine mantle and outright like owned it for a long period.
Speaker 2: And I worked in the comic shop and it fucking ruled. That was a great arc, great era.
Speaker 1: One of the few kind of I mean even Docin didn't hit the way x twenty three hit.
Speaker 3: Just she's basically like I would say, obviously completely different tone, but she was. She was Marvels kind of X version of Kamala Kon Like it hits so much harder than anyone expected, and she's stuck around so much longer. And obviously thanks to Daphne, Keene has now become an iconic member of the movie X Teams too.
Speaker 1: Yes, one of the most critically acclaimed comic book movies ever.
Speaker 2: You know ever was nominated.
Speaker 1: So that brings us to eighteen Angel slash Archangel, one of the Original five. His money helped found the original X sector the Death Transformation after his brutal injury during the Mutant Mascer after you know, at the hands of Apocalypse. I think was one of the great and most successful redesigns of a character in franchise history. Made him much more dangerous and much more menacing. Number nineteen Iceman again Original five important you know representation as one of the first out gay characters, and I think the original X Men who was out, not counting north Star, who was in the ex universe but a member of yeah in the in the X universe, but a member.
Speaker 2: He's had a complicated time.
Speaker 3: That was like, yeah, I might say allegedly with you know Comma fingers here, but that was allegedly an antique gay edict at Marvel in the eighties. That stopped a lot of things coming out properly. And then you have to do them in different books, so yeah, do them later. So yeah, we will say that. You know that first character that Marvel really supported as an out gay character where.
Speaker 1: This was born was Bobby Iceman, Marvel's first same sex wedding in twenty twelve. He's an Omega level Grace. If he wanted to freeze the entire planet Earth, he could do it.
Speaker 2: He could do it.
Speaker 1: He has done crazy stuff since his like Omega level has been unlocked, like creating fifty foot snowmen.
Speaker 2: You know then, like he is, he's just wild ass ship.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's used as like well against Doctor Doom. Honestly, she needs someone who can very powerful snowman to fight the sentinels.
Speaker 1: Number twenty Bishop, this is where it's my favorite. And again like that m make arguments here, you can really make.
Speaker 2: Again twenty to twenty five.
Speaker 5: I think you can really start to out Dystopian future Refugee, one of the most really recognizable pieces of nineties x iconography is that m on his on his eye.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe please maybe.
Speaker 1: This is how I think there's an off chance that he appears in the X Men movie as the thing that we've said, that character who comes from the alternate dimension says, you guys don't get it. You need to be much more millant. They're going to round us all up.
Speaker 2: Twenty one Bishop would be pretty cool. That would be on like in the twenties. Bishop.
Speaker 1: Number twenty one. Rachel Summers just like some very essential Listen survivor at the center of Days of Future Past, a host of the Phoenix, a ex kyliber founding member Scott and Jean's daughter. She's played a huge role, even though she's fallen off kind of lately. Number twenty two. Here's one of our other big risers, Hope Summers.
Speaker 2: Ooh okay, most of her importance.
Speaker 1: Is from the last ten to fifteen years. Obviously, it's her birth that as the mutant Messiah that kind of kicks off the rebirth of mutants in the world, and you know, as one of the five on Krakoa is obviously like a crucial and essential part of the Krocohen Society and the way it works and the fact that mutants were being brought back to life. Hope Summer is just like her ability to steal powers in a more in a way that has less negatives than the way Rogue can do. It is just you know, huge and flexible. Number twenty three Polaris.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, baby correct correct.
Speaker 1: Magneto's daughter relationship with Havoc over many, many years is important representation as someone struggling with mental illness within the Marvel universe and the ex universe.
Speaker 2: Also, the Magnia family stuff is just so interesting, It's.
Speaker 1: So good and so rich. Yes, they've they've really explored it recently too, just what a shit Daddy is and all.
Speaker 2: Of that, and like the impact that has. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, Number twenty four Jubilee.
Speaker 2: Yeah correct correct correct correct great correct.
Speaker 1: Iconic nineties introduction.
Speaker 2: She's my twenty four too, Jason.
Speaker 1: The number. You know, the mentorship with Wolverine is just you know, Marvel Rivals appearance. You could you argue that other characters should be over her for twenty four in lists, sure, but.
Speaker 2: She is the reason X Men the animated series.
Speaker 3: Exists essentially, you know, she is the core of the original Night you know, the kind of like Mos kind of era of the X Men is.
Speaker 1: So she's the audience, She's the audience avatar for for X Men the animated series. Yes, became a vampire, Aaron says.
Speaker 2: Which had she became a mom too, had a baby.
Speaker 1: And finally number twenty five, there were a lot of factors that put him here. I think for me it was the romance with Storm that was exciting factors.
Speaker 2: Jason, I love you. We've met to be on this podcast by friend.
Speaker 1: Forge at number twenty five one of the coolest. I think power sets of Emma often just can build technology, doesn't even necessarily understand it. Can just build stuff, build the neutralizer that stripped Storm of her powers. But then she falls in love with him.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I know.
Speaker 3: That feels very echoed in what they're doing with Peter two, So I'm interested to see why that goes.
Speaker 1: Yes, So that is my list, Rosie, who is on your list?
Speaker 2: Jason? This is actual blying my mind.
Speaker 3: So I just want to say something, Guys, Luckily as we are Yappa's, you don't gonna have to listen to me talk a lot about a lot these characters because out of our twenty five Jason, there are only three different characters.
Speaker 2: Now, is the order different? Yes, so I will do my order.
Speaker 3: I do believe, and I've argued this for a long time, so I don't think it's anything important. I believe in twenty twenty six most important X Men, most impactful x Men, most impactful of superhero characters, especially if you lived in the era, especially if you lived in London. If you looked at the clothes, you can buy the merch you can still buy the farraw around her casting is Storm. I'm a Storm at number one. I think you can interchange Storm and Wolverine depending on what era you were in. Now, I do think that anyone would argue that Wolverine has been in more comics. But look, I'm a vibes guy, I'm a cool guy. I just think Storm is it. She's a literal goddess. She's a mega level.
Speaker 2: But yeah, then I'm a Wolverine at number two. Charles and Magneto. Charles hits three, Magneto hits four. I'm the same, Jason.
Speaker 3: Magneto is my only true villain that would make it into the top ten here.
Speaker 2: I think who hasn't you know. He's also in my Top Villain's Top ten, Gene Gray at five. I agree with you. She's the first student, Jason. She's got to be there. She's important. I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 3: I when I was making this list over the last like since Jason laid out the parameters, I was really struggling to go from twenty to twenty five because I kept ending up at thirty.
Speaker 2: And at some.
Speaker 3: Point, and this is to show my disregard for this character and how objective this was, at some point I realized that my top twenty five didn't even have Cyclops in it, and I was like fuck, and I had to go back and chop it because that is just not a character I care that much about, and he is easy to slip my mind.
Speaker 2: But I agree with you. He should be here. He has to be.
Speaker 3: He's in my top six. He did not make it into the top five. He is number six. But I do think Scott Summers. I love him as Basilisk in Age of X. I love his complexity post the Amorus stuff. I think you make a great point about him becoming the militant child of both Charles and Magneto, which is an unexpected nice route for him, and I agree with you, Jason. I love a relationship him and Jean. They gotta be there. Next up for me is actually Rogue. I think that is because I am an eighties nineties baby, so number seven.
Speaker 2: For me is Rogue.
Speaker 3: I think her powers are undeniable. I think her story arc in the eighties with Captain Marvel is still one of the best to ever do it. I also think if you think about characters who have broken out of containment, you end up in a situation where, like two years ago, there was photos that billions of people around the world had seen of Kiki Palm address as Rogue. Right, like, there's something about this character that's so iconic, that so eye catching it works. Next up for me at number eight is Emma Frost. I love her so much. I think she's a baddie. I think that relationship with Scott is key. I think that in the current timeline you have to have her on your top ten and also as well when it comes to power sets. She's unbelievable. But also costume design. I'm a big costume design guy. The Frank Quietly era two thousand New X Men with the X out of her chest like the inverse boob window where the whole shirt is boob window.
Speaker 2: It's still one of the most iconic to ever do it. I love her. I agree with you with the nineties. Now this is gonna be number nine Cable. I agree.
Speaker 3: Jason not a character I particularly love, but you cannot deny his impact. Also currently in the current standings, he's been in Deadpool two. The fans know him. His arc is Key to X Men ninety seven and people loved it. People are understanding about the Hope Summer's line.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think he's a great entryway to the cosmic in Marvel and the kind of crazy space stuff. Now here is our first big diversion for me, and this is actually more personal. But also I do think it can be argued I think you can't really have Cable without Bishop because Bishop, essentially.
Speaker 2: Like is the reason he's still alive.
Speaker 3: Right, So I'm going ten for Bishop, cheating a little bit because I think people could argue he could not be in the top ten.
Speaker 2: But he can travel through time, he can create portals.
Speaker 3: He is the reason that Cable is even still alive to kill Apocalypse. He has been so helpful to the X Men throughout time, and like you said, Jason, the m is so iconic.
Speaker 2: The mutant tattoo.
Speaker 3: Now is there are the two of my first characters that you did not mention, which I totally understand as I think this will be a controversial choice, but I think that post crocoa era posts the eighties and just kind of in the general understanding of where the X Men are now, and also as like queer characters. My number eleven is actually Mistique. I think that she is arguably an X Men as.
Speaker 2: Well as a villain.
Speaker 3: I think the entire franchise does not work with her. This is also going to be really funny after I bought her up in the D twenty three.
Speaker 2: I think the love Mystique. I think that's fine. Okay, you know what I think.
Speaker 3: You I know, I think this is fine because I did already argue with this in my head and I was like, you know what Jason said they Jason never said they had to be on the team, like, you know, like franchise wise, I'm like, this is an X Men by vibes, but that's also my gay agenda coming through because my number eleven is Destiny.
Speaker 2: I just think exactly right.
Speaker 3: But but this is I want to say, those are my only two yes that are not on the teams, but that I think personally are so important to what I love about the franchise and the franchise's growth and the Krakoa eras specifically, Like I think that changed my idea of who an X Men could be or what the X Men were, so I included them both. That's my ten and eleven. But then that's two of the ones Jason didn't pick. We're back to the consensus, the unconscious consensus. Next up for me is Gambit. I loved him as a kid. I think I had a really interesting relationship with him growing up because he's definitely kind of sleazy when you read him in the comics.
Speaker 2: He's always going for the younger girls.
Speaker 3: But I like what they did, the kind of Gambit propaganda participating seven.
Speaker 2: Thank you, you know you brought it up already.
Speaker 3: Like this is a problematic man, but I do think he has to be in there for the team. Like, if you talk about recognizability, cosplayability, the power set of the cards, this man was barely in the original ninety seven series. Compared to the original X Men ninety two series compared to some of the other characters, but his memes are undeniable. Yeah, like this is a recognizable member of the X Men.
Speaker 2: Okay. Next up for me is night Crawler.
Speaker 3: For all the reasons you said, I'm a Kurt lover, I think he's important. I think that By the way, guess who is mum is It's mistake, so he doesn't exist without her. So I think that he is just a great character, great good guy.
Speaker 2: Love my boy.
Speaker 3: Beast another character that I'm kind of like whatever about, but I do think movie wise, same with night Crawler. There have been iterations of these little blue guys in most of the movies, and that has a huge cultural impact on people. I think Beast's intelligence is important. I also think Evil Beast is interesting, which they could lean into here.
Speaker 2: Dark Beast. Yes, and then we have Katie Pride, Jason's favorite.
Speaker 3: I love her, like you said, in character complicate comic book past, but her powers are unquestionable.
Speaker 2: Days of Future Past does not happen with that her.
Speaker 3: I think they've never truly utilized her properly, especially even though Days of Future Past movie is fun. You know, they send Wolverine back instead this kind of they kind of trip it out.
Speaker 2: I would love to see a real kitty pride. I love to see her.
Speaker 3: Next up for me is Colossus. Obviously, those relationships and those ships are big.
Speaker 2: I love Colossus.
Speaker 3: You can tell I was doing a little memory association here when I was ranking, because I also I put Magic next his sister in my heart of heart, I think that Magic would be much higher in this ranking. But I think that for a lot of people who have never met the X Men, they wouldn't know who she is, like if they've never read a comic. So I think that kind of argues that she has to be this slow down. But I think our power sets unquestionable. I think the vibes, like I'm not gonna lie, most of these are thirty three percent vibes at least, but her vibes are unquestionable. The Berzerker sword is fucking unbelievable. Next up for me is also X twenty three. I'm a huge Laura Kinney fan.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 3: I think that Marjorie Lou really fucking ate with the origin or MYX. I think that we're in a position where is very rare that a female character is able to continue a mantle in a way that doesn't get eraised. Captain Marvel's pretty much our biggest example of that, and it's incredible how X twenty three has become so much a part of that that now people are like, just make her Wolverine. We actually don't need to cast anyone else, Like just cast Laura kinneyon and call her a Wolverine, like call cast Daphnie Keene. So I think that shows her impact. I also think her experience of Weapon X is some of the best we ever got. Next up, is this why I'm very excited when you've said this, Jason. I also added Forge to my list. I think Storm does not exist without Forge. I also was really struggling because I love a lot of the like anterior kind of X Men, so like I really wanted to have Chamber on here, but he just couldn't make it up with like, there's not a Chamber T shirt.
Speaker 2: You can buy a hot topic.
Speaker 3: You can buy a T shirt with anyone else on here a hot topic, even Forge. Now, like there is a cultural understanding of who these characters are that many of the other teams like the New Me and an X Factor and X Force and stuff, have not fully managed to do. And I think that Forge's appearance in X ninety seven also adds to the cultural cachet, even though I would say that the Forge stormship is kind of like a low key shipping comics post Wakanda and Storm and to Challa and Storm and Thora and stuff.
Speaker 2: So yeah, he's there for me. Then I also have Silock.
Speaker 3: I think she's amazing. Polaris also there for me. She's number twenty three. I love Polaris. I love the relationship with Magneto. She is also there for me as kind of like an emotional stand in for the fact that I cannot put Scarlet Witch on this.
Speaker 2: It just does make sense.
Speaker 3: To put her a Pietro on it in my opinion. But as much as that they're you know, it's an Avengers, they're Avengers.
Speaker 2: But but I think that.
Speaker 3: Magneto's connection to his children and the way he treats them as such a key part of X men, such a key part of who.
Speaker 2: He is, and I think having Polaris represents that.
Speaker 3: But also her power set's crazy, like I thought, the way that they brought that to life. Also, just as an x NERD, very very rare for a child to take on their parents' powers, So I also kind of think that's really cool.
Speaker 2: And then I also have Jubilation Lee.
Speaker 3: I think that if you were an X Men ninety two lover, or you grew up in the nineties, you cannot deny her. I think the fact that she's still so popular and they've never been able to really successfully adapt her. Obviously, we did get Lana Condor as Jubilee, but they barely gave her any scenes.
Speaker 2: We didn't really get to see her kind of blow up.
Speaker 3: And the fact that she is still regularly fan arted cosplays like her impact is just so much huger than we can even you know. I think there's people who could probably argue Jubilee could be in their top ten if they grew up in the nineties post you know, only Giant size and ninety two.
Speaker 2: I think that would be very fair.
Speaker 3: My final one is going to be controversial because there are no hot topic t shirts of her. She has only been in one comic book, but I think that the narrative of that very book allows me to do that.
Speaker 2: It is one of my.
Speaker 3: Most favorite X Men comics that I've talked about many times on here, but probably not for a while.
Speaker 2: It is called Worst X Men Ever.
Speaker 3: It is by This is a crazy tak, This is a crazy take, But I think that the entire reveal of this story is that she is the most important X Men, so I'm going to include her. So basically, Worst X Men Ever is about a guy called Bailey Hoskins. It's written by Max Bemis of Say Anything fame, and it's drawn by the incredible Michael Walsh has since become one of the biggest hit makers in comics, and essentially it's about a guy who has the worst power ever, Bailey Hoskins.
Speaker 2: He can only blow up once, but at the end of.
Speaker 3: The book, in one of the reveals, I still remember reading in the comic shop and just thinking, we're so profound.
Speaker 2: And she has literally never been in another comic.
Speaker 3: Nobody loves this character, and I think that makes it even more special.
Speaker 2: She's in this five issue series.
Speaker 3: Her name is Miranda, and she is essentially a young black woman who is a mutant whose power is to control time and and kind of change things.
Speaker 2: And her essential job has to.
Speaker 3: Be in the background of X history, helping the X Men and never getting any fucking.
Speaker 2: Response or coverage.
Speaker 3: Or anything, and she is essentially like what if the Watcher was involved? And her whole life is to sit in the background of other people getting the credit while she manipulates time.
Speaker 2: It's so well done.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a fucking heartbreaking reveal. And at the end even Bailey gets his moment. So that's my wild card twenty five because narratively it fits him because none of the X Men exist without her. If that comic is still cannon, but no one's gonna be buying a Miranda shirt, but I can. I would buy one Disney if you made it. So she's my She's my wild card because that narratively works, And I was struggling. I think once you get past twenty this becomes way harder. But Jason, I loved your formula because I think that the impact conversation and the vibes conversation. It's funny because so many of my choices were driven by that, and yet we still ended up with twenty three the twenty two out of twenty five that were the same.
Speaker 1: Well, we'd love to hear what your top X men? Who your top X men? In the next week's episodes of X Ray Vision. We're diving into stuff and news. We'll be doing our Top twenty five X Villains later the week. Stay tuned for that. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening. Woo X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Concepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Klefman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abuzafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi.
Speaker 2: Our discord moderate, though