Speaker 1: The volume td Tuddy taking it to the house in for six whatever you call it, touchdown. One thing's for sure. Tds matter more at DraftKings sports Book and official sports betting partner of the NFL. On the ground, in the air, special teams or defense. They don't care how you score them. They want to bet on touchdowns. You want to bet on touchdowns. Draft Kings Sportsbook number one place to bet on tds. Ready to place your first NFL bet betting something simple like a player scoring a touchdown. Go to DraftKings Sportsbook app. Make your bet today. Ready to do a touchdown? Dance your own. New DraftKings customers bet five bucks and get two hundred and fifty in bonus bets instantly and one month of NFL Plus Premium. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app. The codes colin again. New customers bet five bucks and get two fifty in bonus bets and one month of NFL Plus Premium only on DraftKings. The Crown is.
Speaker 2: Yours gambling problem. Call one eight hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and why or text hope and y four six seven three six nine In Connecticut, help is available for problem gam and call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill, Casino and Resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction. Void in New Hampshire, Oregon. In Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. For additional terms and responsible gaming resources, see dkanng dot co slash ft Ball. NFL Plus Premium offer available only to new and former NFL Plus subscribers. Additional NFL Plus Premium terms at NFL dot com slash terms.
Speaker 1: All Right, So I occasionally bring Danny Parkins on FS one, but we can kind of stretch things out here and go for forty five minutes to an hour on the volume, which I really like, and talk about a bunch of different stuff. So you know, it's funny. I was trying to wade through Baltimore and Kansas City. So when I started my you know, thirty years ago, I started being a sportscaster, I mean got thirty five years ago. And so when I started, I watched everything, and I thought everything was important and baseball was had much greater social currency. You didn't have the Internet, you didn't have all this stuff. And then when I got to ESPN, I really started seeing this research where there's like four things that matter. And don't be a newspaper. You know that every newspaper when I was a kid had the prep section hunting and fishing. It's like, don't do that. That's sports center, that's not talk radio. And then over the course of the last twelve years, I would say twelve to fifteen, the NFL has taken over our world. There's legalized gambling. It's the only thing that really works on TV. The iPhone has made us more distracted, so therefore people just Monday through Friday sports it's unless you have a Caitlin Clark or you're a superstar brand, it's really hard to get people's attention outside of the weekends. We're all distracted, we're all on our phones. So I was trying today to watch Baltimore in Kansas City, and I knew the game was huge in Baltimore and Kansas City. I could feel it, and I'm thinking, I just want to get to the Phillies, Dodgers, and Yankees that's just what I want to get to. Those are the players.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: You have lived in the city of Chicago, where one team's awful and one team's kind of interesting. Have you and I still like baseball in the biggest spots, in pressurized, urgent situations. I'll watch the Phillies Dodgers. If that gets to the NLCS, I'll watch every pitch. It'll be great. Did you ever have a transformative sort of time in your life where you felt like, yeah, baseball doesn't I mean, maybe it was taking calls from your audience. Did your audience lead you into being more football than baseball?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So I I grew up you know, a kid in Chicago in the nineties, and you know, ten to twelve is a sweet spot for a sport fan. I think because you can kind of stay up late occasionally and watch games. You kind of know what's going on. You can memorize stats, trading cards, that sort of thing, And so that's for me. The second Bulls three peat ninety six to ninety eight, culminating with the home run chase of Sammy Sosid Mark Reguire summer of ninety eight. So I grew up a huge Cubs fan, and I obviously say that I have a love hate relationship with baseball because I actually don't agree with like, I don't really need the big markets for playoff baseball because if I tune into that game in Baltimore or in Kansas City or in Milwaukee, and that place is rocking, it has a college football college basketball vibe that is impossible in regular season baseball. The problem with regular season baseball is that the games don't matter. They say that they do and know a game in April counts the same as a game in September, but it's just the math doesn't work. It's one of one sixty two. Football's one of seventeen. So every football game means so much. And I think when I started realizing that as I got older, and just like, wait a minute, this game can It's fun. They give handshakes and high fives after they win, but then they just have to come back and play a game the next day, which I get is part of the beauty and the allure of baseball. It's a companion sport. It's there with you every single day, and that's the grind of the sport. I understand that, but I love sports and games that matter a ton. So for me, not the big markets in postseason baseball like I'll be, I'm locked into that, Orioles Casey and part of that. For Casey, I lived there for seven years that culminated in their back to back World Series in twenty fourteen and twenty fifteen, So I know how good of a baseball city it is. But I think you feel like when you tune into playoff baseball, it doesn't feel at all like regular season baseball because the crowds are so into it and there is an energy that it would just be impossible to replicate with one hundred and sixty two games. It's just impossible. Regular season baseball largely feels bad.
Speaker 1: It's just I think sometimes the audience likes something. I try to take my personal experience. So but I also have a bias. For instance, my friends are all professional. They all work. I have one exception, stay at home Dad. But all my friends work and they're busy, and they don't watch regular season their NFL, college UFC, fight love English Premier League. So my friends don't watch baseball, and I hang out with my friends and we talk about things. So my professional friends are just too damn busy. And I mean, like I have a friend Danny's like I couldn't even tell the last baseball game I watched. That may have been twenty years ago. And Dan knows the English Premier League top to bottom, loves his Warriors, NFL guy and knows college football, and he'll go out with me and watch a UFC fight. He doesn't know much, he doesn't care, but he's kind of into the moment, right, And so I do yes, and so like I'm into the World Cup. But I my mom was British. I went to England as a kid, England and Holland and Johann Croi for ruled the world. So his early age I watched you know, my mom and her twin brother, and I was into it and it was on TV. And then I grew I went to the Pacific Northwest where like even college soccer was big in the Pacific Northwest, the Timbers at Seattle Sounders. So I kind of liked it more than my average friend. And then the World Cup and and you know what, we're going to network previously and now that are into soccer. But there are times I do wonder. In Los Angeles they'll draw almost like five million people. I do wonder sometimes if I like it less than fans, And I also wonder if I like the NBA more than the public. So I like the NBA a lot now in Los Angeles, it's wildly popular. And every time I go to a Bulls game and they're dreadful, they're sold out or close to sold out. So I do think I'm aligned with a certain audience. But do you ever feel like with the NBA it's like my number two, number three sport, do you ever feel like you like it more than the public? Or in Chicago, did you get a lot of calls on it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Chicago, I mean it was you know, Bears are the thing that unifies the city. Clubs are the next most like next largest most engaged fan base. Bulls and Blackhawks fans are kind of split, like people like both teams, but you inevitably have a favorite winter sport. And by the way, it's it's the same thing with the NBA. The in person product is incredible, and you know, Okay, the game's gonna start at seven and you're gonna be out of the arena by nine to fifteen, and it's quick it's fast paced. You can go to a baseball game and see show Heyo Tani go oh for four. You go to a basketball game you see Giannis. He's gonna give you twenty and ten. So there's a there's a safety net of like, I know I'm going to get an entertainment product. I know it's going to be fast. I know I'm going to see crazy high degree of athleticism. So I love the NBA, but I think with the sports that you were talking about, baseball, basketball, it's very hard. Other than true supers, everyone's got an opinion Steph Curry, Lebron, James Kdi. That can cross over in the NBA a bit because these guys are brands. But people only have so much time. So like if I was in Chicago and I was a Bulls fan, I'm watching Bulls game. It's hard to justify another two and a half hours to watch Grizzly Suns when it's one of eighty two. I have a wife, you have two young kids, I have a job. I dedicate all of my Sunday to the NFL. I watch the big college football game, and so those sports inevitably are just going to be more popular on a local level, and then that will only be relevant when the team is good, not only obviously they are your diehards. There are your exceptions. But you see it all the time that there are just ratings kind of spike based on if the team is good or not. In the NFL, it's high across the board all the time. Because I only got to dedicate seventeen Sundays to seventeen Bears games. That's easy. Weekends, I've got the time. It's an event, it's three hours. You have sea fights, they're events. Oh this is a big card. I care about it. I can go and watch a UFC card. I follow it decently close. But like you bring friends together, all you got to do is watch the intros ninety seconds before the fight. It's like, I get it. That's the old guy with the jiu jitsu background, with the seventh wings man. That's the dude who's the wrestler, who's young and the up and comer. Let's go, like you know what I mean, Like it's you can It's it's like an Olympic event. I can get the story in ninety seconds and then watch the fight and be entertained with baseball, with basketball. There's so much volume of content that it's it's hard to get up for each individual game and field.
Speaker 1: And if I was Tom Verduche and you were a Dodger fan, he's the best I think there's ever been. He and Peter Gammons, you would know more than him on the Dodgers. And he's investing you exactly, And he is a he is paid to just cover baseball. So I always feel as a national guy, I keep my mind on the Phillies, the Dodgers, the Yankees, Braves. Usually if I think they're good, I kind of watch it. I'll do I'll watch like Major League Baseball to either MLB channel occasionally and just flip around and listen to the guy. I think they do a good job. By the way. All right, so we got that. We got that out of the way.
Speaker 3: So well, just one one thing on that that's pretty funny, Like Boog Shambie's doing his buddy of mine those Cubs games on Marquis does the World Series on ESPN Radio he's doing I think he was doing the Mets Padres Series. I think it's the one he said, But he basically came in in the early on in game one. He's like, this is the time of year where the local fans are locked in and you're the most passionate, and the US national guys parade in. We don't hate your teams because it's really hard to you know, I know Jason Bennetti and Jeff Passing and Boo Shot, these guys, they're the best of the best in baseball, but like to your point, they have to cover everything. It's impossible for them to watch one sixty two of all thirty teams. And then when the games are the biggest, it's so cruel. I feel like for local fans, there's a connection between local broadcasters and local baseball fans, and then when the games get the biggest, Michael Kay's doing the games, and they're like, wait a minute, I've got a New Yorker who's not watching my team doing the games. It's a cruel part of the baseball postseason viewing experience. But sorry, go on.
Speaker 1: You know, and Michael k by the way, is doing a game while your games are being played at the same time every night, so he has really no idea.
Speaker 3: But it's impossible, but.
Speaker 1: He's but he's better than the average guy to a Major league baseball. So they put him on the networks and there's a lot of time to fill. So, you know, so I think back to my premise.
Speaker 3: They're they're.
Speaker 1: We'll make an edit here for the guys. I'm gonna I'm gonna give you a situation. Sometimes I'll see something and my initial reaction I don't know if it's right, but it was fascinating. So Jeff Passen is the number one baseball like story breaker, He's the schefter of baseball. A story comes out ESPN's considering moving him to the I think NBA. That comes on the heel place. Wogh. That comes on the heels of the disastrous Apple Baseball contract, the silly Roku Baseball contract, and report of the ESPN and even Fox are not digging there heels in and unloading big dollars to baseball. My take was, Wow, that that is ESPN pivoting too, like we're all in on the NBA and NFL. When you if you went to Woes and said we're moving near the NFL, I would be like, Okay, would Adam Silver call on that? What was your takeaway on passing even up for the job. I thought that was kind of startling.
Speaker 3: It was startling. And so I again I'm I am biased here. I am good friends with Jeff Passon. I think he is excellent because he's one of the rare guys that is a top line, number one newsbreaker in the sport who also can throw ninety eight on the corners for a take. Yeah, like you know what I mean. He will give you an opinion, he will be critical, like, so I just think his ability to like bounce back and forth between reporting and commentary is very, very incredible. But it kind of bothered me that it's even possible. Like, and he's excellent, Like I really consider him a ninety ninth percentile person on our industry. But like, isn't the whole point of the insider business supposed to be contacts twenty five years of relationships and compacts and grinding spring training or grinding summer league or grinding training camps and agents and trainers and players and owners and gms and stadium workers and all sorts of Like you're telling me that he can just like, like, if it was possible to go from baseball to basketball and replace WOJ, replacing maybe the greatest to ever do it. And by the way, same thing, unbelievable news breaker in his day, unbelievable columnist, miracle at Saint Anthony's one of the five greatest basketball books of all time, Like, oh, Heighten of the industr, you can just replace him. It doesn't like from a different sport. It doesn't. I don't want to believe that it's possible, right, because then it would feel like it was like, oh, agents are just sending group texts to get their transaction on the bottom line of ESPN, and it would feel more transactional than actually like old school relationship networking journalism. So I don't know if it'll happen or not. I root for Jeff with a personal bias. But think about this when I when I saw it, I was just like, I don't I literally don't know if that's possible.
Speaker 1: It would be like, let's say you're a pharmaceutical rep and you have all these relationships with doctors, hit your big conglomerate, and they say, listen, we just bought Jiffy Loop. You're gonna be selling car parts. It's like what I literally had thirty years of doctor relationships. It's just I just read that and I thought, that's not like a transition that seems realistic and.
Speaker 3: Far be it from me. It's a critique a Colin Cowherd analogy, but at least there's an argument of like sales as sales, you know, like does he know every general manager in the NBA? Like his woes just going to like set up up on group chats like Kobe Altman, this is Jeff pass It, like our Turst partnerships. This is Jeff pass It like it just like go down the lit like it just seems it seems ridiculous that it's even possible. If anyone could do it, it would be Jeff. I want to make that clear, but I'm like, my god, man, that seems really hard, really hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I don't not that the public would care a ton, but since it's a podcast, I'll bring it up. I've always felt, uh, and I can't speak to Jeff, but I always felt it's a fairly joyless job. There's a lot of jobs in our business that are a lot of fun. I think we've got one. It's fun. Yes, I like driving no work, especially on big football days or big story It's great. I'm very grateful and I know you are as well. The job that pays a lot that's not necessarily fun is the story breaker, because it is a joyless life sapping experience. Years and years ago, probably fifteen years ago, there was a person of note at the other place and we were in the lunch room. It was breakfast. It was like, I was just going to go on my show in about twenty minutes. And I go in and this person was a story breaker, and you know, there would be lines by the cashier and nice person. And I had a relationship with this person. And I was there for about four minutes and he never looked up, and I was having a conversation with him. Two other people were and I remember just thinking, that's not a life I want. That's not good. I don't care what that pays. That's not good. So part of me when Woes left was he just wants his life back. Jesus. It's schefter, writes books, he does the texting, he does TV hits. I'm like, God, love you, brother, because I don't know how you. I mean. There are times I literally drive home from work and it's noon and I can still keep talking. I'll come home to this pod and I'm like, oh, I got I got plenty to talk about. I'm gonna watch a game like tomorrow, you know when this airs tomorrow Thursday morning. I'm gonna go home and watch Baker Mayfield and Kirk Cousins after my show, have a great time to a podcast. That's all easy. So for the audience out there, just know, the toughest job in terms of quality of life is the story breaker. That is freaking brutal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you're you're, you're, You're married to your phone. It's I think it's kind of funny and perfect and poetic in a way that before he tweeted the announcement of woj leaving for the Passion job with Saint Fondaventure, which I think is just like so cool and inspirings. You can say, like I don't care how much money it pays. When I read how much money it paid, it's like that's interesting. Yeah, I'd consider it. Uh. But he he had made it, he had made it to the top of the industry. But the tweet before his announcement was Isaac oc Okoro three years, thirty eight million dollars like that, you know what I mean, Like that's not worth missing like weddings and bringing your phone into the shower, and so like, I get it, Like, you've made millions and millions of dollars, you're famous, You've reached the top of the mountain. I could see by breaking that three for thirty eight contract might get a little old at his stage in the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you don't want to make sweeping generalizations, but first impressions do matter. They matter a lot. Yeah, So when Nick Seriani had his first press conference, it was the worst thing I'd ever seen. Jim tom Sula's was second, So I had confirmation i'd seen Tom Sula's pressure. He did an interview after he was hired, and it was a disaster. Tom Salibat does. I'd been told by a source that I really trust Sirianni wasn't parady for the job. They weren't sure he was a great coordinator. And then he had the press conference, and so then he starts coaching. It's really choppy, Shane Stiken takes over play calling, it's really good, Shane leaves, it's terrible again, and so and I think back to the Sirianni thing, and so I didn't stick with my belief, Like my take was okay, Sirianni's got it. And now I go back and I look and I think, why did you ever bail on that? Your first impression was right now, I will say Dan Campbell's opening presser was kind of vintage, a little caveman over the top Dan Campbell. But the truth is, we don't think he's situationally a great coach. We think he's a culture builder. And he was building a culture so that was aligned with how really he is, and that's why his players play so damn hard. Even his first year when they weren't winning, God, they were playing good teams to the bell. And so I've always watched that opening presser. Tamiko Ryans excellent, Sean McVay excellent, many of the guys. Now again, Belichick was actually pretty damn funny at the podium before he got all the rings. Then he turned angry. But I do watch that Wednesday press conference. My legendary or annoying hat on backwards take like I do think that stuff matters. I've had more coaches text me on that in the last ten years than you would believe that they they do take the Wednesday press ahead. I mean, I've had people say the truth is we tell our guys, that's a big press conference. The banks behind you, watch what you say, that's a big press conference. The Wednesday quarterback presser. And I do watch press conferences for coaches because it tells me Brady talked and never said anything. Eli Manning talked and never said anything, and they turned out being two of the smartest quarterbacks of all time. So one of my takes is, I know it's a general is a but I do take snippets from coaches the podium. As a member of the media. I watch interactions. Kenny Pickett had a comment at a press conference a year ago. I'm not going to repeat it. It was about some body part of his and I was like, oh Jesus, this guy can't Nope, he doesn't get it, Like this doesn't work at all. Whether or not you agree with backward hat the premise of making a judgment for high priority positions on brief snippets, now we do this with politicians freely, liberally and with conviction. Do you buy it for sports?
Speaker 3: To a point, I think that grading press conferences at times is something that the media does and puts too much emphasis on, because it is something that we can relate to and we can understand. We are good public speakers. We know how to speak into a microphone, we know how to say interesting things. We don't know how to run the West Coast offense, right, We don't know how to block a three hundred pound guy who runs a four or five. And so I think that there is some degree of they're playing our game. They're answering our questions, They're in front of our microphones, in front of our cameras, so they're on our turf. So let's judge them at our game because it's something that we are obviously better at and understand and our train for. We're the pros in that arena. So I do think sometimes we overrate it. But that is not to I say all of that, then say to your point, Sometimes when I see a guy up there, I'm like, there's just no way that he can command a room, right, you know, Or like there's no way that his players are not making fun of him behind his back, or whatever the conclusion. So I'm not it's not a hard and fast rule of Matt Eberflus Bear's coach. I think he's a nice guy who listens to his players, But I think he's a little vanilla, little corny some dad jokes. I mean, I've had guys say like, yeah, you know, dad joke, Grandpa Fluse, Like we laugh, we laugh at him a little bit, like, not in a mean way, not in a disrespectful way. But I don't believe that he's like all of their guys that they would go to the mat for forever. You know, I don't think he's that guy. Dan Campbell very clearly is that guy. His team has taken on the culture of Dan Campbell. I do wonder if there's an expiration date on something like that, Like if you give me the great culture builder or the great schematic mind, I'll take the great schematic mind. Like I'd be interested into knowing what Ben what Dan Campbell's team looks like. When Ben Johnson takes a head coaching job and a couple of the TI players leave. You know, I'd much rather have Kyle Shanahan than Dan Campbell. Would not even be close for me, because I've seen that Kyle Shanahan can overachieve. So I think that there's obviously something to it. These are billion dollar organizations. You're representing yourself publicly. It's a glimpse for us into their world. But I also think, I mean, how you know way more coaches than I do. I know plenty. I've covered the NFL for a while. What are their work weeks? One hundred hours? One hundred plus hour work weeks. They're in front of the camera for an hour a week post game Monday Wednesday. So I think we get so much content out of that hour that they're in front of our cameras and microphones that we, by definition overrate its value because to them it's one percent of their work week. To us, it's one hundred percent of what we see into the building that isn't broadcast on our TVs on Sunday night, Monday night and Thursday. So I just I do I think it matters, but I think the media overrates it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the you know, it's it's it's it's an interesting time in the NFL because I mean, we all acknowledge and he reads a great coach, and then there are coaches like Shanahan, Lafleur, McVeigh. It's a lot of offensive guys, you know MCF Yeah, Shanahan McVeigh. You know, we know they're Lafleur, they they're Dan Campbell culture builder, So I aways tend to think every coach has a specialty. I think the play sheet for Shanahan is his thing. Sometimes to a fault, he's glued to it. I think McVeigh is the better public speaker, a little more alpha. He's the culture builder. Not that he's bad on a play sheet, but he's a culture builder. I think Lafleur's a little of both. He's not as dynamic as McVeigh in the locker room. I was told that when he was in Tennessee. But he's he's good enough, and he's good on the play She been not good as Shanahan, And I think there's you know, when I look at coaches, I always I look at quarterbacks and coaches the same way. When I look at a quarterback out of college, there's got to be at least one wow. So Daniel Jones has no wow, so it doesn't work for me. Joe Burrow's accuracy was wow. Josh Allen size Lamar's speed, Jayden Daniels a little of both. There's a wow. That doesn't mean it's refined. But when I saw Josh Allen, first year jump over a linebacker, I'm like wow. So my first take is a trubisky no wow. Daniel Jones, right, no wow? Ej Manual, no Wow. Like, if I don't see a wow, it's not gonna last, or you're gonna need a perfect coach. That's why I was into Sam Darnold. I was like, oh, I see the wow. He is freaking an athlete with a big arm and he runs over. He's like a poor man's Andrew Luck or maybe a better man's Carson Wentz. Like he's you know, but we know he's not Luck. But I think he's better at his best than car and Wentz. If I said to you best coach, Andy Reid, is there a definitive to you second best coach in the league. Because Shanahan's liability has been late game lead of operation, and there's I can give you about six different times in big spots.
Speaker 3: Yeah you can. Here's the thing. This is not a formula. It's not something that can be computed. It's just in my own head, a guy who watches damn near every game. I plug into the matrix for eleven hours on Sunday from one pm Eastern to eleven thirty pm Eastern, and then watch Monday Night Football and Thursday foot byes watch it all. I've got a in my head. How good is your quarterback? How good is your coach? How good is your coordinator? How good is the rest of your roster? How good is your owner? How good is your general manager? How good is your cap space? Who's carrying more dead cap money? Who's supposed to win this year? Who' supposed to be good offensively, who'supposed to be good defensively? And then I have all these factors, and then I'm like, who's overachieving and who's underachieving?
Speaker 4: Okay, So like the Eagles, they spend more money on offense than any team in the league, number one in cash spent on the offensive side of the ball, and they have an offensive head coach, and they have a high profile offensive coordinator, and they're nowhere near the best offense in the.
Speaker 3: League through four games. They are underachieving. That's a big knock for me. On Nick Sirianni, and also Jalen Hurts. He leads the league in turnover since the start of last year. Kyle Shanahan, I've seen the guy in a Super Bowl with Jimmy Garoppolo, and I've seen him in a Super Bowl with Brock Purty. And I've seen him in another NFC Championship game with brock Purty. I saw him trade three first round picks to move up from thirteen to three to take an FCS quarterback it not work in Trey Lance, and then be better the next year like he is. It's crazy what he gets out of. Maybe you love brock Purty. Fine, Maybe his special or his WOW is anticipatory throwing post snap processing between the ears. Fine, we would not have said that at Iowa State. We did not know that. Good job by them. He was literally the last pick in the draft. I don't think they knew it either. There is something to Kyle Shanahan overachieving that impresses me sure more than any And by the way, I'm consistent on this Andy Reid, best season of Donovan McNabb's life with Andy Reid, Mike Vick's life, Andy Reid, Jeff Garcia's life, Andy Reid, Kevin Cobb's life, Andy Reid, Alex Smith's life Andre Reed. Then he gets the generational talent five thousand yards, fifty touchdowns, MVPs, Super Bowl, MVPs, rings, dynasties, you know, like to me, Andy Reid overachieved with all of those guys, and so that is kind of how I look at coaches is are you overachieving or underachieving based on your circumstance? And I would put Kyle Shanahan to because to me, he is the most consistent overachiever without a Hall of Fame quarterback.
Speaker 1: Okay, so now I'm going to focus on a coach. And you watched every minute of his career, and this was my observation that I really think he's a coach, but he was set up to fail. So Matt Naggi has mitched Trubisky. Yeah who Greg Cosell told me to watch. I was in Hawaii with my family vacationing, and Greg Cosell said, I'm hearing that people are going to draft him. Watch him play. I think he played. He was at Carolina, they played Florida State. I was in Hawaii, my kids were out in the pool, and I watched a half and I text Greg, I'm like, I don't get it. Front leg thrower ball dies athletic, but I don't see the wow. I don't get it. He's athletic, dish and they draft him. So with Aaron Rodgers in his prime and a really stable top tier organization with Matt Stafford in his prime. Matt Naggy got Mitch Trubisky to the playoffs twice with the poorest ownership group in the league and not considered an elite GM, and it didn't work. And my takeaway is all these quarterbacks now get second chances, third fourth, Darnold Baker, Derek Carr, they all do like Gino, Andy Dalton and coaches Todd Bowles can really feel outmatched and then go to somewhere else. And I am I look at Matt Naggi and I'm like, just say it out loud. Mitch Trubisky playoff twice with Stafford Aaron Rodgers. And at the time, I think the NFC was better than the AFC. You didn't have this influx of C. J. Stroud, Mahome, you didn't have these all these great quarterbacks. But you were there. And I'm watching half the time on a corner TV. So what what what? What was the belief because he has not resurfaced by the way Andy brought in right back? What was the knock on him?
Speaker 3: Okay, so a couple of things. It's an interesting way to frame his time in Chicago. He won the Coach of the Year award for that twenty eighteen season. They won where they where. They won twelve games and lost on the double doinc in the in the playoff game when Cody Parky hit the upright twice. That defense had thirty six takeaways that year. Khalil Mack, Eddie Jackson, like you know Eddie Jackson, I think, had six interceptions that year. Khalil Mack was first team All Pro a Keen Hicks. So this but this is a Vic Fangio defense. Thirty six takeaways led the NFL, and takeaways by far. Trubisky was fine. He was twenty four touchdowns, twelve interceptions. He was a Pro Bowl alternate. But that team was so defensive dominant. I remember saying at the time, like I was a big Matt Naggy guy because I covered him in Kansas City. I knew it. Andy Reid and other people in the Chiefs organization had said, this is the best coaching candidate off the Andy Reid tree that it ever happened. I said the Andy Reid Tree so much on my radio show that I got like started getting mocked for it. Like the Andy Reid Tree. Andy reach I was like, come on, Ron Rivera, Sean McDermott. All these guys are on the Andy Reid tree, John Harbaugh, he knows Matt Naggy, very nice guy. Mahomes swears by him, Reid swears by him. But he only worked for Andy Reid. He was a real estate agent who got hired in Philly on an ambitious interview attempt because he had his highest level of football before that was the Arena League as a player. And then he was with Andy Reid all in Philly, and then he was with him in Kansas City, and then he left Kansas City for the head coaching gig in Chicago, and Andy Reid said that he let him call plays. But Andy Reid never really lets these guys call plays. He just says that he does so that they can help him get jobs. Andy Reid does not give up play calling. And when he got to Chicago, he hadn't worked for anybody else, so he knew one system and he had never really called plays. And then he gets there and he tries to make Mitch Trubisky Alex Smith no disrespects to Mitch Trubisky intended Alex Smith's one of the smartest quarterbacks we've seen in the NFL in the last twenty five years. Mitch isn't that. Yeah, Like as a postmap processor, he can do it on a whiteboard in you know, a backwards hat in a meeting room, but when the bullets are flying, it speeds up too fast for him. Justin Fields, man, he tried to make Justin Fields that guy as a rookie, like, buddy, adjust your system to the personnel that you have. It's working for Justin Fields and Pittsburgh because Arthur Smith is building an offense around him. You've got a high read, you've got a low read. If it's not there in one or two, take off and run like it's not five step drops, stand in the pocket, one to read, two reads, three reads, four reads. That's not what Justin Fields can do. And so Matt Nagy, I think is an incredible leader, an incredible communicator, a really nice guy who definitely knows Andy Reid's offense better than anyone not named Andy Reid. But if you don't have the quarterback and you're not Andy Reid, it just didn't work. So maybe the second time, but I would still have the same concern with him honestly, man, Like I wanted him when he left Chicago. And this is a longer answer than maybe you were looking for. I wanted him to go work for Matt Lafleur, Like, go go work for a defensive head coach, Like, don't go right back to the to the very comfortable mess where you already know everything. Like, yeah, it'll get you another ring, it'll get you playing in the playoffs, it'll get you Andy Reid's endorsement.
Speaker 5: Yes, but go go be a coach who's coach, you know, Go go expand your Go study abroad, right, you know, go go go study, go double major, go learn a new skill, a new system.
Speaker 3: So I think he was just a one trick pony. That was my issue with him.
Speaker 1: People may or may not know. And I'm trying to and I think trying to introduce you short of the audience. That's why I like these hour talks, so people can see your breath of knowledge. And you're very good on gambling. So a couple of years ago, I tried to hire you at the Volume and your radio station at the time didn't like it. Blah blah blah. So I want I want you to show off your betting acumen. So I think one of the more fascinating games of the week is Dallas and Pittsburgh. It's in Pittsburgh, it's a standalone night game. So far this year, home teams have done very well in those standalone, highly lubricated fan based games. So now Dallas doesn't have Brandon Cooks. Pittsburgh I think is favored by one and a half? Is that the number right now?
Speaker 3: I see two and a half? Okay, but I mean you know it's less than three as a home favorite, and you know it depends where you're shopping as always.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is an interesting game to me because I get a big quarterback edge, but I have an offensive line with Dallas that is struggling. Offensive line struggling going up TJ. Watt and company on the road where it's harder to hear. It can be problematic. Take me into how you, as a guy who loves gambling embraces it is good at it. How do you view that game, which I think is the marquee game of the weekend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's certainly the marquee game of the weekend, with the possible exception of Buffalo Houston. A couple of three and one matchups there. That's a huge game of THEFC easily could be a playoff preview. So I like that game a lot this weekend. You know, it's not the same as it was back in the day, three point favorite and for home field advantage. Home field advantage does not matter as much anymore. A half maybe, yeah, exactly. Teams have gotten just much better at silent count hand signals, more college offenses, more like check with me stuff calling two plays in the huddle, So crowd noise just matters less in the NFL. But it still is a home team favored by less than three. So you note that it maybe would make you think that on an neutral field, Dallas would be a slight favorite, whereas one and a half and two and a half. I try very hard to play numbers. You know, you want to bet the best of the number where you want to get closing line value. But this is not going to be one of those games, because it's not going to get to Pittsburgh by three and one and a half, two and a half pick them not going to matter on the number. Man, I think this, I think Pittsburgh's the side because what do we know about Dallas. They cannot stop the run at all. Period. They did it against the Giants, but that is the outlier for them, Like, if they play a good team that is committed to running the ball, they can't stop it. And all they've done since then is get more injured. Lawrence injured, Parson's injured. The Steelers are not a dynamic running team, but they are a team that is committed to running the ball. Yeah, they will twenty five thirty times with Naje Harris or Jalen Warren obviously justin fields. So if they're committed to running the ball, they will keep Dallas's offense on the sideline. Dallas's offense is very one dimensional. It's very Seedee Lamb focused.
Speaker 1: They put him in the backfield. There's just all they can do to get him the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Pittsburgh's defense, they gave up a few big plays to Indy. But I watched a decent amount of that game. It felt a little fluky to me, some of the throws that Anthony Richardson was getting in there at the beginning before he got hurt. Some of the throws like Pittsburgh was right there. Yeah, it was not blown coverages, it was not bad in the defensive assignments. It was like they threaded a needle. I don't think if you do that throw ten times, you're completing at eight like they some of some of the big plays from Indy seemed like outlier events. So Pittsburgh has the much better defense, they are healthier, they are committed to running the ball, and they are home. So I like Pittsburgh a lot in this game. And there's really no you've got to get this number on this spot because whether it's two and a half, one and a half, two one, very few NFL games fall in that number. So you could be comfortable to say, who do you think is going to win the game? And I'm happy to lay those points. So I'm I'm confidently on Pittsburgh in this spot.
Speaker 1: Also again young Dallas offensive line, and yeah, road games on the standalone, later games, it's really hard for offensive linemen. The quarterback and the coach can talk, but it can get pretty tough. I mean you you watch teams like Buffalo completely unravel against Baltimore, like like I gotta tell you, have you ever like you know we were talking, We'll wrap it up with this. So I was watching Detroit and Seattle.
Speaker 3: And we were on this one. You like Seattle in that.
Speaker 1: Game, right, Well, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Actually was my favorite line of the week.
Speaker 1: Okay, go ahead. So once I found out Seattle was missing not two, but full all four of their top defensive linemen against that old line, I'm like, okay, I'm on the wrongs. I knew it before the game started. I find out, like, okay, because they were banged up. I didn't know all four were gonna be gone and my bad. Sure, okay, whatever. So but the fact that Gino Smith had thirty eight first downs and Aikman was acknowledging that do this guy is pminent and you do get to a point. I think you do get to a point sometimes with these quarterbacks, Like it took me a while to figure out brock Purty, but I think now he could hoist a trophy. With Shanahan, I don't think it would be easy, but I can see it.
Speaker 3: And the guy's in the super Bowl. You can If you can get to the super Bowl, you can win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Same with GoF he can hoist a trophy. Garoppolo Lake Kansas City in the fourth quarter if he hits one pass right, yeah, And I'm sitting there and a lot of these guys, I don't see Baker, Derek Carr as a lot of these middling guys. I'm like, no, I'm watching Gino Smith make throws. And if you didn't know it was Gino Smith, the timing routes, the back shoulder stuff, I'm like, I know, DK Metcalf's good, but there was a lot of pressure. It was on the road. It was thirty eight first downs, defensive head coach and a college offensive coordinator. I'm sitting there like, if Seattle had three of their four defensive front guys, that's a real game. Is Gino a potential hoisted Trophy guy? Because damn he's big, he's strong, he moves. I mean, Aikman was saying, this thing is he has got a heater on this thing.
Speaker 3: He makes high degree of difficulty throws consistently. He's incredibly impressive. You know what's funny what I've been thinking about with Gino uh this year so far, I think one of the single biggest stories in the NFL. And there are a few I think that I just can't really stop thinking about, but one of them is we all say that we know that situation matters. It's not just like, what if Mitch Trubisky would have been drafted to Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes would have been drafted to the Bears? Right, it's a great what if? What would mahomes his career look like? What would Trubisky's career look like? If Trubisky had Kelsey and Reed and Tyreek Hill in that infrastructure right sitting behind out Smith the whole thing. I like to play that game on sports radio all the time. We do these unanswerable hypotheticals. Sam Darnold is ballin', yes, Geno Smith is ballin'. Justin Field's career highs in efficiency, taking fewer sacks, turning the ball over less, higher passer rating than any time in his career, higher completion percentage than any time in his career, winning seventy five percent of his games. Baker Mayfield has found a home. All of these guys were left for dead.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: So we are all coming out now in saying, oh, of course, Minnesota is good. Kevin O'Connell, great coach, Brian Flores, great coach. Can anyone find any member of the media, that didn't have them finishing fourth of the division four weeks ago. I mean, and by the way, me too, guilty as charged. And I covered the NFC North and I've said that Kevin O'Connell's an awesome coach for seven years, like five years whatever it's been like, so can I see Gino hoisting a Lombardi Trophy maybe, Like it's it's not an anti geno point for me to say, No, what is the situation good enough for him to.
Speaker 1: It's the NFC, it's not the AFC.
Speaker 3: Sure you're right, now, here's why I love Detroit. In that game, though, uh, people were going crazy over three and O Seattle and McDonald coming from Baltimore, our youngest head coach, their defense the whole thing. I was like, Okay, they had beaten Jacoby Brissette, Nicks and Skyler Thompson, right, like can we we Every game matters in the NFL, Every week matters. But some teams were judging through the prism of four games. Seattle new coach, Let's judge them through just this season. Minnesota new quarterback, let's judge them just through the prism of this season. But I judge Detroit, same head coach, same offensive coordinator, same offensive line, same quarterback Aiden Hutchinson. I'm on Ross Saint Brown, Laporta, Gibbs, Montgomery. It's the same team that last year whilst by three to the Niners in the NFC Championship game, and it was one of the five best teams in the NFL all season. Like they have a twenty plus game body of work to me of being a top five or six team in the NFL. Seattle had three games of beating bad quarterbacks. So I know that's not exactly an answer on Geno Smith, but I also look at that way, like Baltimore, I give them the benefit of the doubt, Kansas City, I give them the benefit to the doubt. Like teams that Buffalo. I picked them to win the AFC East. They've done it the last four years, like they to me, they deserve the benefit of the doubt over some of these newcome teams that we're thinking are going to be the hot thing in the moment. So it's the NFC. Gino is slinging it, But I need to see them actually beat good teams with this defense, with this coach before I think that they could go. And I mean assuming you think San Francisco's gonna win that division, They'd have to go like at to you know, maybe at Detroit, at Green Bay, at San Francisco or something like that to win a super Bowl. That's just a very, very tough path because I haven't seen them beat good teams yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean my AFC division winners. I think the AFC is easier than the NFC. I had Josh Allen, Bills, C J. Stroud, Patrick Mahomes, and Lamar Jackson, and they're all going to win their division. The NFC, you know, I'm like Stafford McVeigh and then they have cluster injuries and I'm like, they may they're not as good as Sea Lower San Francisco. Now. I tend to just lean on quarterbacks, but I it was interesting why. I mean, Sam Darnold I think is more gifted than Gino. But I watched Gino. I've watched them all season long, and in that game on that road, basically in a track meet and trailing the entire game, and you know, Detroit knows he's got to throw. I was blown away in a losing out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's impressive, man. And I also what I like about him too, And I know we've got to wrap up and maybe maybe next time on the pod. It's become a league of like checkdowns. Everyon's talking about two high safety right taking and dunking. Right. We don't have time to get into all of it, but I think it's one of the biggest stories of in the NFL right now. Uh he'll take shots? Oh yeah, like like like Gino. Gino's a fun watch like he he is. He is out there saying I will throw to the second and third level of the defense. I will fire this out route, this fifteen yard out with my arm strength, like he is not there to matriculate the ball down the field six yards at a time, like he will throw the ball. So I love watching him play.
Speaker 1: All right, Danny Parkins FS one. His show is Breakfast Ball. I love to bring him on regularly in our show. The guy knows everything he is. There's a matrix quality where he's in and out of sports and opinions, and he could do politics. We're not interested. I'm really not interested. I watched that thing last night. I have no opinion. Civility won. I'm good.
Speaker 3: I tapped that out after about forty five minutes. Yeah, yeah, I was. Yeah. I don't want to talk that with you on Mike right now. Let's put it that way. Maybe maybe another day, maybe maybe another day.
Speaker 1: Not at the end of the pod, come on, all right, good to anybody.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, Tom the volume.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for listening. If you've enjoyed the podcast, take a moment, rate and review.