Speaker 1: They around the NFL podcast will not say super Bowl today. I'm the Chris Wesley podcast studio. It's around the NFL. I am Dan has It's.
Speaker 2: Got heroes here, Greg Rosehal Mark Sessler. Now, we will not say that word. All the other basic bro podcasts out there shrug their shoulders and say, let's just dig out. What is it Today's linebackers Day snore?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, lifeless.
Speaker 2: There's more to the NFL than the big game, which is permitted. There's more to life, a lot more. You may notice that Mark and I are on the show today, and that is because the Sports Podcast Awards made their announcement the winner of the Best American Football Podcast.
Speaker 1: You know what me around the NFL? Thank you. Wow, what a moment. I mean, I think it would be good to sell.
Speaker 2: In case there's media outlets that want to need a quote.
Speaker 1: Let's do a little press or an announcement of some kind of you know.
Speaker 2: We want to thank the fans, of course, we want to thank the academy at the Sports Podcast Awards. We want to thank everyone who got out and voted to take out the Fantasy Footballers first place, the second or for a second places first loser as they say. Something called Nightcap came in thirdclat smellulator.
Speaker 1: We win. We are victorious. Oh so thank you to everybody. That's nice. It's been a while since we took home some hardware. I would say this. You know, we we are.
Speaker 3: We work with a number of people involved with a lot of the shows, and so you know we take special pride selling friends. Yeah, I mean we take special pride like they It's it resets the everyone's are corp expectations and I think it goes on our resume. I don't know what we do. We win something beyond I mean.
Speaker 1: Eric, did we win it? But like physically.
Speaker 4: Cour Corvette, we get that tweet, yeah, trophy or something.
Speaker 5: But yeah, we had the fantasy footballers on our podcast earlier. It's nice to take them out pff more like pf humph.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I do feel like too far.
Speaker 5: I do feel like we are. You know, we're kind of like the twenty fourteen the music Patriots. Go ahead, and you know the Patriots had a lot of early success.
Speaker 4: We did too.
Speaker 5: We famously took home a Stitcher Award in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 4: Podcasts Our Producer did.
Speaker 5: Nominated for an iTunes Award for the Best Podcast.
Speaker 4: I don't even know if they had a winner, butore.
Speaker 1: I don't even know if iTunes exist.
Speaker 4: Right or Apple Store.
Speaker 5: But it's been ten years since then, and I now that we've won another award and been recognized, feel like our producer that stole that first award.
Speaker 4: And had it physically the Awards distribute, had.
Speaker 5: It sent to their house and then we never saw it. They are like the Bill Buckner of our podcast. I forgive them now. I forgive It's okay.
Speaker 2: I believe that this subments our legacy as the greatest NFL podcast that has ever existed.
Speaker 1: And I already knew that, but having this award, there is no other way.
Speaker 2: Now, just like hoisting the Lombardi Trophy on the day of the Big Game, you can no longer argue who's the best, the best there is, who the best there was, the best there ever will be.
Speaker 3: On a personal note, one of the people that we took out just cut them off of the neck, was someone that took issue with the fact that I was previously gamed along with you guys as a top ten football insider that show is.
Speaker 1: Out take a seat, stool guts.
Speaker 3: He go, We're gonna see all these people in a week and they're gonna and they're going to twit us.
Speaker 1: I can't say that. I can't say that, Sessler. I mean, how about that guy?
Speaker 4: It is that guy.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you who he is. He is a member of around the NFL. The best I think we've.
Speaker 5: Covered it now we've got Although I'm actually in the world, I'm in a tough spot here because us winning a Actually I could view as an insult towards me that our listeners so badly didn't want a podcast just toasted they didn't have myself, was a window there that, like we were actually trailing by a lot and suddenly they heard that and it just went crazy to avoid that.
Speaker 2: So you Mark, you've said it so many times inappropriately, this would be the time where you could mention they had an opportunity for a violent coudeta.
Speaker 3: Right, and they and yet they stood down that they were non plus by the concept of Greg taking over the show on a solo effort.
Speaker 2: They put down their shields. Well, listen, that's a good way to start the show. And yeah, if you could find out, Eric, if you could let us know, we could end the show right there.
Speaker 1: Do we Yeah, do we get something for it?
Speaker 2: Because I would like I see that glass right there, right next to my the football I got for helping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Clemson, I believe it.
Speaker 5: Was you didn't help anywhere, the most ridiculous thing I know.
Speaker 2: Says otherwise and signed by him, So helping out the underprivileged youth of Clemson, Gregy. We have that in the window for anyone who walks by, including Greg, right next to it.
Speaker 1: We should have something.
Speaker 6: Yet, I'll reach out to see what comes along with it. Maybe some pizza comes with it.
Speaker 3: Well, well, I think at this point they realize who they're dealing with. Dejorno. It's like, let's start shipping product, all right.
Speaker 2: So with that said, we have a nice show ahead of us because we will not say it. In fact, if anyone says the name of the game as it's popularly known, or even mentions the two teams, either of the two teams, right, it is a And this is going to be documented by our producer Eric.
Speaker 1: Five dollars, Fine, five dollars. It's not insignificant when you start, when it starts.
Speaker 5: I remember when this, when this show first started, the tradition, and I feel like Wes struggled with it.
Speaker 4: He would have owed a.
Speaker 1: Lot of yes, I remember that.
Speaker 5: I think the NFL should calm down on, you know, not letting anyone use that word. We can't use that word today. But driving into work, I didn't notice in our town of Inglewood where Sofi Stadium kind of barged in, Hey, we're taking over Sofi Stadium. It's the Big Game block party on Sunday. Can we give it in Inglewood a breakout?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: We give the city a champions rights to that certain phrase to it only feels fair.
Speaker 3: I mean we we've essentially taken over that city with the stadium and other in our office, so we got.
Speaker 1: Bomber down the street building an arena too.
Speaker 2: It's like, guy, I mean, we're turning this into a vast playground. Can we at least give them the rights to the big name game's true name?
Speaker 3: Wait, one technical question, like so if you say the name of the of the Big Game, you owe five dollars to who?
Speaker 1: Where is it going?
Speaker 2: It's going into a slush fund for the show for U said another time.
Speaker 1: Like here's a great example. You know, want to take a ten bucks.
Speaker 2: We talked about, well, I can't actually say what it is right now because it's something that's coming up next week. But I have there's a certain project, a creative project that we're working on that the fans are gonna find out soon about that's gonna need some type of capital to back it, revolving T shirts that it could go toward that fund beautiful, So it's a slush fund and you can't say it.
Speaker 1: And Eric, it is so important that you.
Speaker 2: Legislated because we might miss something, and the worst thing is when everyone misses it and then after the show the listeners like, oh you did say.
Speaker 1: It can't happen.
Speaker 2: Speaking of listeners, we're going to open up the mail bag, and again it's a don't say you know what mail bag, no questions pertaining to the big game or the participants involved in it.
Speaker 1: But before we do that, let's hit the news. Damn it was going to be a winner. You gotta have confidence in your team, gotta have confidence in yourself, and if you don't have that confidence, you can't play football. We all felt we could win. We won, and I asked Joe specifically, Joe, do you feel like you're King of the hill. Joe, You're king of the Hill.
Speaker 4: No, no, we're King of the hell.
Speaker 1: We got the team. Brother, that's sort of a starting game.
Speaker 2: January nineteen sixty nine, and that was sal Marciano, who was a mainstay in New York sports coverage, who as a young man asked Joe King of the Hill, which is just one of the more funny, like.
Speaker 1: Outdated ways of expressing yourself.
Speaker 2: But that wanted to get some Joe in there during another trying era for his team. Let's get to the news, and let's start with the coaching carousel, which it's coming. It's coming to a stop. Every head coaching spot is now filled. Today we learned that the Washington Commanders have made their decision hiring Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn as their new coach. Quinn replaces Ron Rivera, who was hired by new owner Josh Harris one day after the season ended. So Quinn, who was the highest paid DC in the league for the Cowboys. They had some really successful defenses while he was there, even though maybe they disappointed a little bit down the.
Speaker 1: Stretch this year.
Speaker 2: Of course, he served as the Falcons head coach in two thousand and fifteen to two thousand twenty.
Speaker 1: There was a twenty eight to three comeback in twenty sixteen after the twenty sixteen team.
Speaker 4: Was it?
Speaker 1: Which one was it?
Speaker 3: It was a large event, sporting event that featured the Patriots.
Speaker 2: I'd try to get you, didn't get you. I was trying to get the ten tho I'm too locked in. Yeah, you're very locked in anyway. So he was the head coach of that team. Atlanta then let him go when things kind of fell apart in the years after that, and now he gets his second shot at the job. And it should be said, Greg that we're gonna talk about the new head coach of the Seahawks as well, because Quinn doesn't appear to be the commander's first choice here, but they do have a head coach.
Speaker 5: No he doesn't. Maybe it was gonna be Mike McDonald. Maybe it was gonna be Ben Johnson.
Speaker 1: It sounds like he was the third choice of the commanders.
Speaker 5: And Ben Johnson especially was the guy that the insiders kept connecting and everyone who seems to have good relationships with their new GM, Adam Peters, who was really well respected around the league, but man like he is getting pumped up as kind of the GM Bell of the ball, and they kept saying he's looking for an innovative offensive mine and you just got the feeling that Ben Johnson was his choice and they were maybe caught a little flat and they wind up with Dan Quinn, who I think is a good choice to run a team a second time. That like Raheem Morris, he's had some time, not as long as Raheem Morris, but to learn from what happened, and more than anything, strikes me as a guy who can be a little Mike Tomlin, like hopefully having a good idea of hiring the right people. He knows a lot of people within the league and having an overall idea instead of him offering you like crazy schematic advantages. I think he did a great job with Dallas and he's shown that he's improved I think as a defensive play caller and he brings that to the table. We'll see who he hires as his DC, but it's probably not one in Washington after Ron Rivera that gets you as excited for this new generation.
Speaker 4: And we'll see who he hires as a OC, which is big.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's it's easy to forget that early with the Falcons before they went to the Big Game that Quinn was correctly touted to someone that quickly developed, like his defense and young defensive players. And on the flip side, you had Kyle Shanahan running the offense. Shanahan leaves and that the development of the defense stopped and then the Falcons just started to become unwatchable. But Quinn, I think is a consistent guy. He's like well respected. It's it's not that it's a disappointing higher but I'm with you that I think that the whole search committee they put together and Adam Peters coming in as a very powerful general manager, thought Ben Johnson, with the number two pick, the most cap room in the league as a quarterback, you know, developer would make the most sense and really galvanize a Washington fan base. It's it's been a long time and there were these reports that Ben Johnson was asking for too much money, and I we'd ever really heard Ben Johnson or his people responded at any level, but I think.
Speaker 4: They part of it.
Speaker 5: They did when that first report came out during the season from Josina Anderson that he wanted fifteen million dollars a year, and his agent did win on the record and say that's not true.
Speaker 4: That's just ridiculous. Yeah, I mean more in this in this cycle.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 4: Adam Schefter threw out there that like which is away one thing?
Speaker 3: One thing though, because because I think, like, if you're Ben Johnson and you realize, if you have one more good year at the Lions, you get your pick of seven or eight teams, and do you want to come in into a team where the general manager is essentially over you and the owner? I think I think it's like, this isn't a hand in hand situation. I just think Adam Peters is a very powerful general manager and figure in that organization, and like all right for Quinn, I think Ben Johnson decided not.
Speaker 1: To take it.
Speaker 2: I mean I agree and disagree at the same time, because Ben Johnson could have another really good year with Detroit. I don't think all of a sudden he's going to be this guy that can go watch around saying I want full control of everything.
Speaker 1: He's Ben Johnson.
Speaker 2: I mean, the resume is nice, but it's not He's not like an all time guy or Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 3: I just think something made him blanche at this situation, like something.
Speaker 1: And maybe it is the money now.
Speaker 2: Just also, and you know, it takes some audacity for Ben Johnson if that's true, he was asking for fifteen million, because like Jim Harbaugh reportedly is getting paid sixteen million per year by the Chargers. So and that's a proven guy with pelts on the wall, So I can understand why a team might, you know, take a step back if that was true.
Speaker 1: Now we'll see.
Speaker 2: And I know this is optimism season and every head coach hiring is viewed as a success, and every new GM is seen as a big time difference maker. But and I'm not going to dwell on it, but I just I wonder how we'll look back at this in a year or two.
Speaker 1: And we made this.
Speaker 2: Big deal about well, Bill Belichick wasn't even considered for this job from what we understand.
Speaker 5: Actually now they did sort of add some reporting from Diana Rossini that they talked.
Speaker 4: To Bill Belichick.
Speaker 5: So they talked about but they considered him that they and early on with him, Belichick and the commanders were there was a lot of.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it was deemed that the combined wisdom of Dan Quinn and Adam Peters, you know, that's the way to go, Okay, we'll see.
Speaker 1: Let's see how this all.
Speaker 2: Looks in a year or two, you know, ye find out, because now Bill's not getting a job because the other head coaching position with the Seattle Seahawks is also has been filled. It is Mike McDonald, the defensive coordinator of the Ravens, who obviously had a big year there with everyone else until they got to championship Sunday. So he is he is now the replacement for Pete Carroll. And it's a six year contract. These contracts are huge for these coaches.
Speaker 1: And also in general, it's just is that wild, Like six years.
Speaker 2: Hardback up five that makes a little more sense, Like that's a proven guy, whereas McDonald, we don't know what he's gonna be like in this position.
Speaker 1: And he is thirty six years old.
Speaker 2: They literally took Pete Carroll's age divided by two. So this is a this is a youth movement in addition to just changing the scenery and the decision making and the.
Speaker 1: Vibe of the organization right now.
Speaker 5: So the six years struck me too, Dan, that was one of the first things I thought about because I was like, well, six is weird. It's usually four or five for a new coach, and six just makes me think, well, Washington was probably in on this, and that's like, that's how it works. And I think they really loved the idea of McDonald. As our friend Mina Kimes called it on her podcast they did this week.
Speaker 4: You guys should check that out too. The Shanna handler, which I like that I want to steal it because like he handled Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 5: Certainly the Rams had some good numbers against him, but Houston and Bobby Slowick and all the different tree the Shanahan trees, the Miami like they did a good job and it's as modern a defense as you can possibly imagine in terms of the disguise and getting everyone to sort of understand holistically like what they're doing on each play. Where the back seven was really connected because if you look at the Ravens, they had a lot of injuries and I wouldn't say they were like the most talented defense in the league, and they really got it done for two straight years.
Speaker 3: I like, I can't think of of these coordinators that you know a couple of years he was in Michigan before he went to Baltimore. Wasn't there for that long, but did an incredible job with that defense. Like his name in the last couple of weeks just bubbled up and you start to hear like all these like RG three, who was with the Ravens for a spell, like talked about Mike McDaniel just coming in, Mike McDonald coming in and just like talking to players in general and just being this incredible connector.
Speaker 1: So I think it's like the person.
Speaker 3: He kind of fits Seattle and it's a nice transition from Pete Carroll. But it's a new message as well, and he's got it. He's got it. Like their defense, you keep thinking they have a great defense. They were not last year and they but they still have a lot of young players from to work with and I think someone like Jamal Adams checkulator, but like a lot of these other pieces like they could they could be a quick riser from where they were at the end of last season.
Speaker 5: Quillan Devin wear thisspoon, Quandary Diggs like, that's that's a nice start to your secondary.
Speaker 4: I'm with you.
Speaker 5: They probably get rid of Adams pat there's a lot of free agents on the Ravens and they're losing coaches all over the place here, but they could also lose players like Mattabique and Queen and Clowney. We'll see. They have a lot to decide there. But I'm excited. I'm excited about it a lot. Mike McDonald.
Speaker 3: I do the one figure in Seattle obviously that I wonder about a little bit when you have Pete Carroll exit stage left and anyone comes in and including the new offensive coordinator and all that a new system, like, is Gino Smith going to face competition or find himself somewhere else or is he going to have the organizational belief that he did before? Because I feel like that was the beating heart of that was Pete Carroll.
Speaker 2: Wasn't part of this decision to move on from Pete Carroll, who's an accomplished guy who's been there forever, to you know, change the status quo the organization. Yeah, and I think Gino has been very good for them on balance. But is he the guy that gets you over the hump or do they want to go I would not be surprised to put it that way, if they aggressively seek out another option beyond what they have in house with Drew Locke.
Speaker 5: I think it'd be a I think it's more likely to be a rookie, but it wouldn't be shocking. He has some guaranteed money coming on February sixteenth, so it's early in the off season Gino Smith does, and I fully expect him to get that because his salary is manageable, but I think it's a negative for him that. Look, Shane Waldron's already gone. I do wonder if they know, if they knew McDonald was going to be the head coach, whether they would have tried to retain Waldron, who I think did a good job. And so there's I have no clue what kind of offense that they're gonna be running there. Gino's pretty like offense agnostic, just because he's like a traditional pocket quarterback where he could maybe working anything, but McDonald, Like, I just love the way that, like Marlon Humphrey talked about how like everyone in that defense sort of you hear linebackers say like, oh, he knew what everyone else's role was supposed to be, But in this defense, everyone knew what everyone's role was supposed to be. And it's just like he's the youngest coach in the league. Jared Mayo only uh lasted for.
Speaker 3: This is one of these age things that's crazy. It's like they're both thirty six, but like you go to Sean McVay is still only thirty seven years old.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: Another let's spin the carousel again. M h.
Speaker 4: We got a lot.
Speaker 2: By the way, they commanders were trying to call up McDonald as he was getting on the plane to go to.
Speaker 1: Seattle, like hey, hey, hey, gives one more chance. He's like, that's right, I got.
Speaker 5: He just like copied that text that they sent him to his agent, and then the agent copied that text to the top Seahawks and the like.
Speaker 4: All right, six years.
Speaker 3: I also heard that they were like essentially en route to Ben Johnson when he announced that he didn't want to take a job.
Speaker 4: Yes they did. They didn't. They interviewed Terry Aaron Glenn there anyways, but they were. They were in the plane and stuff.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: The Titans hire another Ravens assistant, Dennard Wilson, as their defensive coordinator. The Packers hired Buston College coach Jeff Halfley. He was yes, Jeff Haffley. He was BC's coach for four years. As defensive coordinator, the Ravens or you hitting me? They named linebacker inside linebackers coach Zach or their DC. That's a good position. That's similar to uh, you know what's been going on in San Francisco in recent years. Although I don't think Steve Wilkes is going have the same success, but that that could get you a job.
Speaker 1: Just got McDonald's job.
Speaker 2: So Or takes over that defense and the Panthers do decide or Canalas decides a Gio of Vero ever will remain their defensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: One thing, like because the Jeff Hafley thing the Green Bay that was such a huge hire after what's been going on like the past couple of years, Like I was like, why did why did they don't? He doesn't really know Lafleora very well, but he had He worked under Mike Petton in Cleveland. He worked under Shanahan as well, so there is some link with the floor.
Speaker 1: Where's Mike Petnat by the way.
Speaker 3: He may be back in that cabin. He built that cabin on the lake in Ohio.
Speaker 5: He went like right next to Brown's training camp though no, no, that's where he lived.
Speaker 2: Thinking of the collision Low Crossers where pet Nat these days go ahead.
Speaker 3: More well, no, but like like Halflee, there was reporting that Halflee decided to leave a head coaching job at BC because of the nonsensical like nature of like the transfer portal and the nil So he was just like, I don't want to do this scene.
Speaker 1: We're I go like coach real football.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I think it's an interesting, strange higher because unless you're deep in BC territories. He went twenty two and twenty six at PC, I don't know, right, It's.
Speaker 5: Like, I think being a college coach now is so tricky, and it's just it's the situation college football has given to themselves that essentially now coaches and players like, you don't blame Halflee, you don't blame the players.
Speaker 4: You kind of blame that system.
Speaker 5: But he came into Ohio State and like the year he had there was like incredible. But I think the Packers, by all accounts and the Rams might have had a Gio Evro as their number one choice for defensive coordinator and the Panthers had rights to his contract and just did not let him leave and wanted to see who they ended up hiring as a head coach, did not let him leave who knows. Maybe you work out a thing and you use a little David Tepper money there.
Speaker 4: But I do like I do like Tepper by the way at Senior Bowl.
Speaker 5: Is that wherever he's I think they were at a press conference today for their new head coach Canals.
Speaker 2: Pepper Be asked a question about something pertaining to the Panthers, and temper Be saying He's like, I'm receding to the background.
Speaker 1: You're not going to hear from me. So Tepper be changing his profile or be attempting. Not great for temper Be talking like, you know what we thought would be, you.
Speaker 2: Would think that. But I have a feeling he's going to struggle. He'll be back, keep the stance. But right now Tepper Be laying low.
Speaker 5: Shout out to Zach Orr by the way, because first of all, we can use the ore you kidding me? Drop more and we'll talk with the con He's thirty one years old. I was like, wasn't he just in the NFL? He is thirty one years old, and I got to think they chose him over Denard Wilson, who got a lot of looks elsewhere and got that job in inten See, where he's going to run that defense.
Speaker 2: He's everybody else see where this is going, by the way, what because now the what's in vogue is you must hire a young hotshot, end up with some high school analytics genius, like some seventeen year old kid running a team.
Speaker 3: Like twenty five percent of the people that we've talked about during this hiring cycle like came from analytics, and half of them work for PFF, like Bobby Slowick, and there's others that just like that's not unusual, and it's like the Sean mcvaye of the world that are hiring these guys.
Speaker 2: But I mean, let's it's it's going to get to the point where somebody before they even have their learners permit.
Speaker 1: Is going to be running a team they just learned. Like, look, god, we've done.
Speaker 4: We're ahead of the curve. Your curve.
Speaker 1: I laugh at your curve, Look at my curve.
Speaker 3: I love boy crafting like rise over run you know, diagrams in their math notebook and suddenly.
Speaker 5: Run fifty three. So that should make you feel better. That's a coach that's older than all of us.
Speaker 1: It's a great hire.
Speaker 2: So I guess maybe, I uh, I know, I'm supposed to say every higher is amazing.
Speaker 1: I don't love it. Not, No, everybody's like this is such a great high. This is one of the great hot shots.
Speaker 2: We talk about this how the sausage gets maids with the insider insiders, we have to understand, like everybody is pumping up these guys is like, yes, the most gifted future roster builder or a coach who truly deserves a second edg shot.
Speaker 1: Let's see where all these guys well.
Speaker 3: Someone like David Canal's like, we don't we have no idea.
Speaker 5: On a person right, on a personal I think you have hit on something that's true. Like for me personally, I found as wrong as we are every year, like incredibly wrong about our preseason predictions of like who's gonna win and stuff, as wrong as I am of like which free agents are going to work out. Like sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong, but I'm very often wrong. I feel like there's nothing I'm more wrong about than knowing which coach is going to be good or not. So it's just like at this point, it's just like, Okay, this makes sense, and I have a hard time like being like that's not gonna work because it's just you just have no clue.
Speaker 2: Mike McDaniel friends, Mike McDonald that's gonna be annoying.
Speaker 1: By the way, is.
Speaker 2: This year's version of Once upon a Time Brandon Staley Like remember like the the flowers being thrown at his feet when he was hired, the like this.
Speaker 1: You don't know, but right now everything looks good.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like the one day where they haven't made a mistake yet, and so okay, it's a one day. There'suld be like a one day window and then you can start to get there.
Speaker 5: The problem with Quinn is he's the most ron rivera ish, That's.
Speaker 1: What's really.
Speaker 2: And I feel, yeah, I feel for Commanders fans because obviously all the things they've gone through with the ownership, but it seems like there's still it's taken time to get out of the mud here and maybe Quinn listen, Quinn not to double back. But Quinn nearly one a big one, right. He had Kyle with him. He like, we said, we have to. He needs somebody up and coming.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: One thing though, like if you go back one of the most inquack like the what one hiring that had people boll flustered and annoyed and thought it was completely failed. When they hired him as a second head coach. Was Bill Belichick to the Patriots.
Speaker 1: His Q rating was low.
Speaker 3: The whole thing had happened with the Jets, like there were a lot of people thinking they gave up too much for him. It was like that Bill Belichick was not highly regarded and he wasn't thought of as like a guy that was easy to get along with.
Speaker 5: And it was like there was a lot of grublin going into the twenty two thousand and one season two after one year.
Speaker 3: Right, so he just you never know, Like I mean, Quinn, it's not a sexy pick, but he could be more reliably successful two years from now than anyone and these other guys who were unknowns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember when they came out that Belichick was going to replace Parcels. I think a lot of Jets fans at the time were like, Okay, that sounds pretty good.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't like, oh my god, we're getting Belichick.
Speaker 2: And then maybe it was when all the warring began with the Patriots about where how things would end up, there was a feeling.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, just let him go.
Speaker 2: It's not like you know, turned out he was somebody would want and now he can't get a job. Well, you know, maybe.
Speaker 1: Next year a quarter cent later.
Speaker 5: But yes, I did put it out there into the world that we'd welcome him. You know, I know he's going to do some media and little fourth cheer action maybe on Wednesdays something like that Belichick's corner.
Speaker 2: Wait, replace Colleen, not Wednesday? Whoa you really heat seated seek door?
Speaker 4: That was going to be though Thursday. How about on the previous show.
Speaker 1: Maybe she won't listen to this one though, He'll be.
Speaker 4: Okay, just throwing out a rand.
Speaker 3: Greg was very hot on this when he thought you and I were no longer part of.
Speaker 5: The show, right, it was actually me Colleen an Belichick speaking of Belichick.
Speaker 2: Yea, I do not I do not envy Zaddie because Jerry Jones keeps talking, talking and talking and talking. If you ask Jerry Jones about anything involving head coach and job security, he will not outright back his guy. Really, he's always going to leave the door open. We have a quote here. You see this quote. Someone asked about what he could work with Bill Belichick, and here's what Jarah Jones said the Yahoo Sports. I know him personally and I like him. There's no doubt in my mind we could work together.
Speaker 4: None like.
Speaker 1: I don't know why Jarah thinks he needs to say that. No, I don't. I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Now his his star defensive player, Michah Parsons, came out and got after the team, saying they were the old we were outplayed out scheme. Did he say out coach? That's usually what said too. So he was filled with frustration about that situation. And then also this week, Jarah was pontificating about listen, we haven't put it. I think this is what I think. This is the metaphor. We haven't put it through the hoop yet. But we're right at the rim, right there, Jarah, right there.
Speaker 7: I thought we made a pretty good moved four years ago my Karthy, and he's had some great in season success. Now he's come up short three times three times and advanced us in the playoff. Okay, but I like the fact that he's hanging around the rim, and I like what the team has done to hang around the rim. So I think of what the answer that I would have is that I'm aware that we're hanging around the rim. We're not getting the ball in, but we let's don't discount hanging around the rim and where we are right now with the players we've got. And I'm thinking about it from the.
Speaker 2: Whole book, which is it's apt the metaphor because Mike McCarthy he can dunk.
Speaker 1: By the way McCarthy.
Speaker 2: I know people are going to say, oh no, he's a bigger guy, know that guy. He can cross you over, he can barrel down a lane, and he could throw down a thunderbomb.
Speaker 3: On His football is completely different than basketball. Dan, When have you ever seen him do that athletically?
Speaker 1: What you just mentioned my dreams. But I imagine he can.
Speaker 3: That's all I love Jerry Jones. I'm starting to like him more and more because that was an utterly absurd soliloquy. And you've got a coach who's lucky wasn't fired. You've lost your defensive coordinator. Your quarterback has a fifty nine million dollar cap hit, which means like, do you have to extend him to fix that or do you let twenty five percent of your cap be eating up by and lose his playoff game?
Speaker 4: Push the money? Yeah, I think they will extend him.
Speaker 5: I Uh, he loves ball though, you gotta admit, like at this point in his life. He's there in Mobile. You could see he's wearing one of the lanyards. He shows up.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm sure it's a press agent gets it for him, but he puts the lanyard on. It's like the draft starts in Mobile.
Speaker 5: He's wearing the lake like he's hanging out in Mobile for five days right after the season, Like he never gets he'll be in Indianapolis. He's on the cycle, but he knows what he's doing there with Belichick. He's sending a little message to his guy, Hey, keep us in your thoughts. Maybe he's even aware that there's been some rumors there down there at the Senior Boy, I bet he is.
Speaker 4: Greg Bodard from Boston Sports Journal put this out there that that there.
Speaker 5: Were some Eagles Belichick connections, that that Howie and Belichick have a good relationship, and that that maybe it was just a rumor mill, but that if things didn't work out with Sirianni, if like that meeting they had with Sirianni didn't.
Speaker 4: Work out, that Belichick was maybe.
Speaker 5: On online one and that we got Bill kind of hovering over this NFC East as we enter twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Four, he could end up back at the Giants. By the way, that is that I would wish.
Speaker 5: The New York Post has been writing about that too, So it's like every everyone wants.
Speaker 2: Them all right, that's what's happening in the news. And in case you just joined us, the news went down. We are the champions of the American Sports Podcast Awards.
Speaker 1: Is that what it is?
Speaker 5: It's the Sports Podcast Awards. The category was the best American Football Podcast.
Speaker 1: That's the lead news item today. But we have done what we have achieved.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say nobody said we can do it.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of people doubted us.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say nobody believed in us, but I'm gonna say it. I remember when we started this podcast, well, we had a boss that said, you guys can't even all be in the studio at the same time. We need one person in the newsroom for optics. And I remember, after a long road to get full time employment with this company, another boss no longer with the company said to me, I know, you think you're getting this job for that podcast, but it's not about the podcast.
Speaker 1: You know what I said to myself, you it's about the podcast.
Speaker 2: So this is an award that celebrates everything we've done.
Speaker 1: And we went out and had a great dinner last night.
Speaker 2: The three of us did a State of the Union conversation, had a few drinks.
Speaker 3: We didn't even know this was going to occur when we had.
Speaker 4: The night this was this was not the time.
Speaker 1: It wasn't. It wasn't. But it shows our humility.
Speaker 2: Though after eleven years, the humility on display, I think is impossible to miss.
Speaker 3: I also want to just say to the that there's a technical UH department gentlemen who about seven or eight years ago UH watched many of our shows from Afar and confidently labeled us as podcast posos. We're now podcastposos who have won a massive award an international war defect.
Speaker 4: I think he liked the podcast, said the I don't.
Speaker 3: I've never spoken to him about any other aspect of the show, but that's how we were labeled.
Speaker 1: Watch us fly, those can fly to.
Speaker 4: You're not exactly dreading is just such a good time to check the sink on these podcast posals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he sounds like he likes the show.
Speaker 5: No, I've talked to him many times as we work together, and you know, he always makes a joke about it, but you know who doesn't make jokes that you're not you're not exaggerating about that.
Speaker 4: That first boss.
Speaker 5: There is no exaggeration that he thought this was a completely useless waste of time, that he acted a visionary. That man actively discouraged throughout the process and tried to break up on some level and get me out of it too, like what are you doing?
Speaker 2: You should be The amount of times management, that's right when he was.
Speaker 4: A million times he met really tried to end it.
Speaker 2: The amount of times management and current management is excellent, and and we're very happy with all the shadowy figures actively working with the show. But the the number of times management tried to kill the show before it even began or just when it was gaining momentum. Give me my music again, please, if you're just joining us, If you're just joining us, we are the winners of the American Football Best American Football Podcast.
Speaker 1: They try to kill us.
Speaker 2: They tried to say you're not good enough, and we said, no, bro, you're not good enough.
Speaker 5: Okay, and now here we are the winners of the Most Humble podcast twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: I think we're selfless, we're charitable.
Speaker 2: The humility is so bright and shining it's blinding everyone around us.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a break. Definitely, we'll be right back. Hit the mailbag.
Speaker 2: In case you're just joining us.
Speaker 1: We are the winners. The others have ast and they must live with that reality.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Henry Hodgson, by the way over in the UK, our friend.
Speaker 3: Do you know that he galvanized some some voters in the auction.
Speaker 4: We definitely reminded us to mention it on the show, which which which helped.
Speaker 1: Although I think he played a hand in us being nominated. Oh that's I.
Speaker 4: Understand, that's true. We were not nominated the first three or two or three years.
Speaker 1: What a success story.
Speaker 4: We went right into the win. The problem is the talk, as Patrick.
Speaker 5: Riley would say, the disease of more. I've already gotten a text from one of our contributors, David Ely, who says congrats and then follows that up with as a recurring guest, do I get hardware?
Speaker 4: So already people are.
Speaker 1: A shout out on the show. I think is more than ant.
Speaker 3: We spoke about him, you know at length the other day, probably not in the way that he would like to find him a wife. That's our next that's our next mission, that offseason. That might take more than one off season.
Speaker 1: Listen, he's a.
Speaker 2: Great guy though he's a catcher. Yes, all right, it is that. Don't say you know what? And so far, Eric, how much money has been raised?
Speaker 4: Zero? We haven't even closed. This is too easy. There's like one reference to like San Francisco City.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, it.
Speaker 6: Was it about the no team. It was like, what was I think it was Mark? He said, what's happening in San Francis?
Speaker 1: You know what? Like like, let's let's wait a minute.
Speaker 6: But that's I'm gonna check the table hit actually test to make sure this buzzer works in case I'm having to.
Speaker 3: Contribute to a slush typically illegal, but I know what.
Speaker 4: That's this?
Speaker 2: Do you want to throw the red flag because you can to challenge whether or not you owe the ten I.
Speaker 4: Mean I need.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 3: I believe if everyone behind the glass says that I did that, then I'll be happily contribute to the slush front.
Speaker 1: Are challenging it, though I would like to.
Speaker 3: I would like confirmation after the show, Yeah, in a gray area. They'll challenge that, and we'll leave it in gray area and I will Well, I.
Speaker 1: Know you said San Francisco, like you don't need to challenge it. Oh, I had a new idea.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying, like the reference I was a little vague on like whether or not because you didn't say forty nine ers, I.
Speaker 1: Got ropido. Buzz yourself and take out your dollars.
Speaker 2: I actually I'm just thinking of it now. Can you bring this big funk back there?
Speaker 1: He's not no big fun shoot.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm gonna save it for next time because I the slush fund actually had a better idea for what it's going to go toward, and it's it involves funk. Okay, but we'll have to sit on that one. Just let him know you, Okay, maybe it's good. It's gonna be something I think he will really appreciate, and maybe we can get the listeners involved.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to Greg and I think I know, I think I know, but I would be very surprised if pay it.
Speaker 2: But don't, Yeah, don't say anything. I have an idea, not a fanny pack. I want to write. I want to right or wrong around funk, and I want to use this show's platform, can't get my music. I think our show, what we strive to do now that we've achieved what we have.
Speaker 1: Is to help others, as I did to cleansing. How so, I'm not.
Speaker 4: Sure we keep saying underprivileged youth.
Speaker 5: And it was a business leadership conference, so you don't even know who you were healthy.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's so many different things. I'm helping so many people.
Speaker 2: My elderly neighbor, Sharon, she has a leak in her roof, and I helped clean her car the other day.
Speaker 1: Do you hear me talking about that? Yes, because you just prompted me. You're challenging my bonafides. Wait a minute, as a good human.
Speaker 3: Yes, a leak in her roof, and then you watched her car cut like her roof, car roof in her car.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's one thing was happening, and you helped. Sharon. We got to you got a garage here. Let me help you empty the garage and get the car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, into the garage, so this doesn't happen again.
Speaker 1: She says, Oh, no, it's fine.
Speaker 2: She After the car is cleaned, she covers it with a plastic sheet in the driveway and then we get destroyed Los Angeles morning by mon sooner and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, ah, share it.
Speaker 2: I'm upset about that. It's part of my Saturday are anyway? Greg, That's an example, a strong one. I want us to uplift now that we've become with I.
Speaker 5: Like it, and I think I know what it is. You can confirm to me later. But let's let's do this mailbag. All right, let's do the mail What did you slacked you? It's just we are we are on air right now.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're actually see It's a great idea, is it?
Speaker 4: It's pretty good?
Speaker 1: All right, let's open up the mailbag. First question, don't say you know what? All right?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Grass Operating fours? Is Dan ready for Year two of Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 4: I am?
Speaker 2: I am like when you watch a horror movie and if it's well done in the first actor, getting to know the protagonists that are many times doomed in some way or another, and it's a well written type horror film where you start to really feel and connect with those characters like insert jets fans. I feel terrible about Year or two of Aaron Rodgers and everything around it, and that athletic deep dive by Zach Rosenblatt, and I think Diana Rassini. Yeah, Bob as well, Like it was interesting hearing the paranoia that'scripped poor Bob Sala and hearing how Zach Wilson his feelings on Aaron Rodgers have changed now because Rogers really didn't even connect with him after the injury. None of this is surprising necessarily, Oh wow, it was all phony, Yeah, exactly, and surprise surprise Hackett wasn't according to someone and even putting in the work in terms of scheming, and all those people are coming back except for Wilson. So I am I really to expect this now to be all right because the forty year old quarterback is back from his Achilles tear. No, I feel this everybody, and I get it. I'm I'm jealous because I know it's good sport to laugh at the misfortunes of the Jets. They're funny. Get out your popcorn. It's going to be a great year in twenty twenty four. That's where I'm at right now.
Speaker 3: It's it's tough when you know, I feel for Jets fans for you, but like there's it's were months and months away from like the business of the season and the Jets, you know, becoming better in certain ways, like they're already exhausting. That's not a good that's it's not like it's I don't want to blame the players working hard on on that team and the coaches apparently some of them are, but like they're already an exhausting topic, not only the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: To me, right, it's less about exhausting and if anything, the fact I think everyone's gonna be sowed down on the Jets.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's maybe that's the one time.
Speaker 5: We don't have to worry about the hype machine, right they could actually maybe that's good. But Rogers, it's just funny how much he pulled the wool over everyone's eyes. I think during that hard knocks and stuff and like that Wilson's story and we've just seen so many of them, I think just makes it very easy for me to root against that guy.
Speaker 4: That's all.
Speaker 5: And like I heard Larry David on the Bill Simmons podcast, he refused to even talk about the Jets and Rogers because he just didn't want to say anything negative about Rodgers.
Speaker 4: And that's all. He would have to say about Rogers.
Speaker 5: He just like didn't doesn't like the experience, you could tell, but he just like doesn't want it to be aggregated or even mention it because he's a Jets fan, but he just doesn't. He can't even be honest about it because it's just like I can't. I can't deal with it.
Speaker 2: Because he then goes on Lacavie and then gets asked about it and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: It's it's not good.
Speaker 2: It's not good, and it's quite frankly super depressing because after this happens, if it goes the way feels like it's going, then they're starting over again, all right? Next JM nineteen eighty two. If you could go back in time and cover Slash be a beat writer for any NFL team you do not support for one season?
Speaker 1: Which team season? Would it be? All right? I like this question.
Speaker 3: I came up with my own like list, and it was kind of like it's obvious ones because it's when I became a football fan. But we grew up on the East Coast and my earliest some of my earliest memories are watching Loe's old like Bill Parcells Giants teams with my dad, and you know, in eighty five they you could see the team forming, and the Bears went and won the Super Bowl that year, and the Giants got taken out in the playoffs. But the eighty six Giants is the team that I pick because not unlike when the Steelers became a powerhouse after decades of darkness, and not unlike when any team suddenly like the Lions, finds light, that Giants team was one of the most celebrated. And know it's the same year the Mets won the World Series, so like New York, the New York tabloids were going crazy. I would love to have been there to cover that from wire to wire because there was you got lt in there, you got Bill Parcells. Bill Parcells and Phil Simms didn't get along half the time. You had Phil McConkie. There were a lot of strange players that created this Super Bowl winning team that were trailing at halftime to the Broncos, then exploded and Phil Simms had the game of his life in sun splashed California. It was absolutely like the crowning achievement of a team that you know, they went and won in ninety but that was a bit of a different team, like it turned Bill Parcells who was carried off the field. That was like your first gatorade dunk and everything too. So I think that was a very special time for the NFL, but for New York and the team, it was like back then there was no you only could watch one team Jets and Giants, basically those two teams.
Speaker 1: That was it on my television.
Speaker 4: The first one that.
Speaker 5: Came to mind for me was the Buddy Air Buddy Ryan era Eagles.
Speaker 4: I don't know why. I was always in fascinated.
Speaker 1: I was thinking of the Buddy Bear.
Speaker 4: That would be fun too. Uh.
Speaker 5: There's a great book, maybe maybe the best like season in the life book I've ever read. It was by Mark Bowden, who who also ended up writing you know, books that turned into major movies. But it was called Bringing the Heat, and it was about it was about the Eagles, and uh, that team with Randall Cunningham and Buddy Ryan. Wade Phillips was in the mix at some point, like in Reggie White and Jerome Brown who was this crazy character, and Clyde Simmons and the drama with Ryan and his coaching staffs and the way the way they interacted with the media back then, and it just was like, oh, just feels like the most wild East Coast time possible and extremely exciting team that also was full of drama and personality from like start to finish, and they were like an open book. It seemed like a very fun team to cover in an insanely competitive like media corps.
Speaker 4: Just that that to me, it would be a fun er.
Speaker 2: To Buddy or ryans a great one because you could like point to multiple teams you could talk that would be a fun team. The one where he punched Kevin Gilbride, that Oilers team West, Yes, the the eighty five Bears. Of course, he gets carried off the field after that game. And guess you know, we we showed Joe. He said at the top of the world.
Speaker 1: What was what was the question? King of the Hill, King of the Hill, King of the Hill. Guess who the d C of that Jets team was? Buddy Ryan? Wow, So he had quite a football life. And then Rex and Rob followed.
Speaker 2: Of course, I would say, give me the mid nineties Cowboys.
Speaker 1: That would be a lot of a.
Speaker 2: Young Jerah, you know, King of the Hill, Jarrah, Jimmy Johnson, not the Switzer team, the Jimmy Johnson, team Aikman, Irvin Emmett set against the backdrop of the best well done set against the back but the best rivalry of the nineties, which was Cowboys Niners, which was the only one that really to me approaches that would be Cults Patriots in the oughts. But I would say that when I think about those NFC title games in the early nineties, they were.
Speaker 1: The the big game.
Speaker 2: Like it was just it was whoever won that game was going to hoist the Lombardi, So.
Speaker 1: That would be my pick.
Speaker 3: They also had like Cowboys brettvav Packers too. There was a lot going on in the NFC. But I think the greatest and weirdest and most bizarre ending to a lot of that was that Barry Switzer comes in and replaces Jimmy Johnson, and it's like, you know, Barry Switzer during the Pro Bowl, they showed him because they lost the NFC title game, like when you're in like he's sitting there eating a hot dog during and that today, no, you, no one cares about the probole. But it was kind of like this guy is a whack job. And like the reporting coming out of Dallas was like you know, Troy Aikman was beside himself, like post Jimmy Johnson was about his chaotic as it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Barry shout out to the I thought you were gonna slip up there by the way, what.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Pro Bowl then you're talking the aby. I was out of my I wasn't.
Speaker 3: I was out of my head too, I wasn't even thinking about that what the episode's about at this point.
Speaker 5: The seventies, like the seventies Raiders or the seventies Steelers, to me would be very fun because that, to me is sort of the birth of what we think of as the NFL in general. But it also you know, reading the books from back then, it's like it was so much looser the relationship between the media and the team and the fans. It was all like the business of it all was all turned down to such a degree that you really got to know these guys.
Speaker 4: It was characters, like it was.
Speaker 5: They were all kind of in it together, and they were just insane characters in a way that that those teams seemed like they would be a lot of fun to do.
Speaker 2: All right, next one, I think West would have thrown out all right here, Sam asks Sam The Hobbit Underscore ninety eight. Everyone, what were some of your favorite non football related pieces of entertainment, books, movies, tv concerts this past year? Okay, with a couple of things. Anybody want to start.
Speaker 5: I'll start with a couple of books that are right off the top of my dome. A is my favorite, Beasting by Paul Murray, who is an Irish writer. Like a family saga there. That's one of the best books I've read in like the last twenty years. It is incredibly written. It's it's a it's a bit of a door stop, but it's it's still it's like six hundred pages, and yet it is incredible how talented he is. And then Changang All Stars I think would be a crowd pleaser too, which is a lot of fun by Nana Quame adij Brenna, which is h Whoa's little a little science fiction d futuristic where people in prison essentially choose to fight in these like death to the death matchups. And yet it's like very literary and very very well done. The movie I like liked all the Oscar movies this year. I feel like none of them were bad, almost like like I like told overs that, like May December, I liked so many of them, but my two favorites are probably American Fiction is just like the most purely entertaining and funny and just like the easiest watch. Like American Fiction is really good with Jeffrey Wright. And Killers of the Flower Moon is probably just the best best movie.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I enjoyed that one a lot. I liked May December.
Speaker 4: That was great.
Speaker 1: I liked Barbie.
Speaker 4: I like Barbiere.
Speaker 1: The new True.
Speaker 3: Detective so far has been that excellent. I this I'm not saying this was a great movie, but I thought Air with Matt Damon and Jason Bateman was fun, very nostalgic, and it kind of they did a good job with it.
Speaker 1: It was I did love affleckas Phil Knight. I didn't like that well, it just for me. I sat and watched it.
Speaker 3: It was like totally and it was kind of cool to see Damon and Affleck back together. I watched Maestro and hated it and yet couldn't stop thinking about it and then kind of liked it, and I was like whatever, I just couldn't stop thinking about it for some reason, like it's good performances, but I was just like I don't know something about it is getting under my skin. Jason Zumwald and I have been talking about a film that has been essentially like re released on Criterion with Vanessa Redgrave and Oliver Reed, directed by Ken Russell, called The Devils, and it is. And I took my child to The Exorcist a couple of weeks ago, and I would say that is one of the weirder cinema experiences to take a child too.
Speaker 4: But The Devil, his social services like what is loved it.
Speaker 1: He loved it. He loved it.
Speaker 3: I don't know in transit, but he loved it. He wants he wanted to see something scary. But The Devils, which is not a horror film. It is it is and it isn't. And it's also comedic and strange and dark. And it was made a long time ago. If you have access to this, I don't would not say it's a gather the family around the hearth film on any level. There's like it's was banned in many many countries when it was released, but it is incredible.
Speaker 4: It is he was like the mother of its day.
Speaker 3: It has mother vibes to it a little bit. It truly does. It truly does. But it's it's it's it also feels like something shotgun from four five years.
Speaker 4: Ago, and it's pretty great. When was it released I think the late sixth I.
Speaker 1: Will check that interesting. I am currently finishing the Uh.
Speaker 2: It's really sad and harrowing in different places, and especially after he passed away. But the Matthew Perry memoir about his life is really fascinating and against set because he died obviously shortly after the book came out, and so much of it is about his battle with alcoholism and various drug addiction. It's really crazy to get inside that world, especially when you're one of the most famous people in the world. I just watched that what is the name of it? It's the documentary on Netflix that just came out on We Are the World.
Speaker 3: Oh, we were talking about that last night. I want to see that.
Speaker 2: It's called the Greatest Night in Pop, which is a great great look at the recording of We Are the World, the USA for Africa song to raise aid for you know, there was a major catastrophe of starvation, millions dying and Ethiopia and they came together. Michael Jackson then Lionel Richie wrote a song with you Know I'm just a couple of days notice, and then they got every big star in American pop culture and music at the time to record the song in one night and shoot the video. It was the night of the American Music Awards, in which Lionel Richie hosted and won, like swept all the awards, and then he was leading the recording session with Quincy Jones and Quincy Jones has a big sign above the door, the biggest stars in the world, check your ego at the door, and everyone did except for Prince. Check out that documentary. Also, I It's true, Detective. I'm really enjoy Yeah, returned to form Jody Foster.
Speaker 1: Henry. Speaking of Henry, turned me on to this.
Speaker 2: I've been a little bit of a slump looking for a new music that I enjoy. But a band called The Smile, which is comprised of Tom York from Radiohead, also Johnny Greenwood the guitarist, and a different drummer. So it's not Radiohead, but it kind of if you like in Rainbows Radiohead, which is my favorite Radiohead. The Smile scratches that itch that just came out, and then a concert, and I'm gonna be able to get to see it in Vegas again as a.
Speaker 1: Long time You Two fan. You Two at the Sphere.
Speaker 2: I went there with my wife in November and that was an unbelievable experience, not just because I love their music, but the spectacle of it was very cool.
Speaker 1: I highly recommend it if you can make it all right good.
Speaker 2: Next, let's see Fenshield asks, I've long wondered what team Mark supported during the three years of Brown ceased to exist. I wonder that did he consider the Ravens please come on fine shield as.
Speaker 1: Hold out hope for their return or move to the wilderness. This is Mark.
Speaker 2: I've known you for many years now, fourteen years. I don't know if I've ever talked about this with you.
Speaker 4: I have a.
Speaker 3: Definitive answer for this. Well, uh, it makes me think of Wes because I was obviously I was ho There was news right away that Cleveland was going to fight to get a team back, but you knew it was gonna take well, so that's a storyline. So I didn't pick a new favorite team, but I was agnostic. I lived in Boulder at the time. There was this incredible sports bar that I'd go to with friends and watch like everything. But it was the Brett Favre Packers from essentially ninety six, ninety seven, ninety eight that we.
Speaker 4: Got a title out of it.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, like but yeah, you got complaint, your you got your I guess I kind of did.
Speaker 3: I should have stopped complaining at that point. They're right, but that was that. It was just like every Sunday Brett Farr was like Brett far being about as hard as you could as you could possibly want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the good old days of Brett.
Speaker 4: Well right, right, three straight MVPs.
Speaker 5: I have this article that goes up every year which is the best Quarterbacks of all time. They call it the best Super Bowl Quarterbacks of all time, but anyone you have to have started a Super Bowl to qualify.
Speaker 2: Oh that's double, that's twenty dollars.
Speaker 1: Hit you go.
Speaker 4: It started as five, I thought before the show.
Speaker 1: No, no, he doubled it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's such a good cause that I kind of want to just keep saying it and.
Speaker 4: I keep it organic. And you don't know where. You don't know where to put mahomes on this list.
Speaker 2: I guess so many jobs he actually has at least fourteen million in the bank currently, so yeah, you'll be good.
Speaker 1: I have one other job, Mahomes.
Speaker 5: Mahomes, Like I had to decide like where to put Mahomes or Brett Favre on this list because like, of course Mahomes is going to end up near the top. But the idea is just it's just accomplishments what you've done so far. And it's like, man, Brett Farv won three straight MVPs for that. He had a shorter window than most, but for that window, it's right there with any quarterback that's ever played, maybe better than any quarterback that's ever played.
Speaker 1: That dude.
Speaker 2: And I and I'll say, and everything that happened in recent years is terrible around far but one of the great performances I've ever seen. And this this comes after he had a one year stopover with with my team, but when he went to the Vikings and had that huge season, he was there two years, but the first year was awesome. Uh And and Greg Williams and Sean Payton essentially put out a hit on Brett Favre in the two thousand and nine NFC title game and he took as vicious a beating as you will ever see a quarterback take in that game, and that some of them got up every time they tried. They were literally trying to injure him. There was money, you know, bounty. There was a bounty on basically killing Brett Favre, and Brett Farv knew it. Everybody knew it, and he kept fighting through it. Now Vikings fan than anybody else remembers the game, whils to say, well, he also through the interception to blow the game. I get that, but there were a lot of elements in that game. One of the more sneaky, painful losses in the history.
Speaker 1: Of Minnesota that game.
Speaker 4: They outplayed the game.
Speaker 2: But but I always had so much respect for far the way he played that game.
Speaker 3: And like you know, the photos and images were released after what Farv's lower body looked like after taking those hits. I mean it was like beyond medical science. And you're right, he like he during the game never even.
Speaker 5: Showed wait did you any And it also gave Jordan Love like an inspiration of how to end this Packer season. He's like, I'm gonna be exactly like Brett Favin, throw that exact same path.
Speaker 1: Same throw. So when the Browns come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they stink because they're an expansion franchise. Was it hard to let go of the Packers? Now it helped? I guess the Packers are then starting to come down a little bit. Right When the Browns came, I I will.
Speaker 3: Never forget like the night that they were relaunch on Sunday Night football in Week one against the Cordell Stewart Bill Cower led Steelers. I went to that same Boulder bar with an empty notebook that was gonna be my Brown's notebook, like for the year, and I was gonna write dense notes. And I'd had a feeling that they were going to be at least interesting and special. And by the end of the first quarter they were down like twenty one and nothing, and I was like, this notebook can go into the circular file. It was nothing to write or see about. It was a disaster, but there was no conflict. I was all the way in and like, you know, they never really got a whole lot better from that, but they made the playoffs in two thousand and two five David, like.
Speaker 4: When you're born in seven.
Speaker 1: Those first two years back was rough. Tim Couch.
Speaker 3: Chris Palmer was coach, back then like an offensive guru who like you know, had been with a bunch of teams and was they that I will not go on about it, but the difference between like the Jaguars and Panthers and you know, expansion teams that were given like a two year lead up and given a proper time I'm to hire, and they were given you know, draft privilege. The Browns got really hosed, and it was a truncated process that I think helped those other teams in general to do a better job in any expansion team since Cleveland got really hosed in every possible way.
Speaker 5: His defensive coordinator was Bob Slowick. You know this league, hey man, you go different, different way.
Speaker 4: It's a family. Romeo Carnal then took over for him next year.
Speaker 2: Pop quiz Mark, who was the leading rusher of the nineteen ninety nine expansion Browns.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's gonna kill me when I hear the name, because I used to talk about him all the time. But he was pulled from their little strange expansion draft.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Te Terry Kirby.
Speaker 3: Terry Kirby, all right, next you have filed, sir, But that's.
Speaker 1: A tough one.
Speaker 3: It's not like, no, no, no, but that's you know, it wasn't Jim Brown all right?
Speaker 1: Wait was not waffle house?
Speaker 2: Hamlin asks when will the pain from the Ravens losing stop? Now, Well, that's interesting coming off the heels of the Browns conversation.
Speaker 1: I will'll say this, it's an underrated fan pain.
Speaker 2: I've experienced it three times personally to lose in on Championship Sunday. Because if you if you lose AFC or NFC Championship, you obviously it's one that you lose in the Super Bowl. Oh give it to me. It's for a good cause. And you'll soon find out it's one thing to lose. But then at least you get there if you if you fall short, you get title game. Yeah, you get the two weeks of the hype and the excitement around that. Nobody remembers how deep most teams went in their conference playoffs, and it's just like so empty when you're that close to making the big game and then you don't.
Speaker 3: I think also that game, particularly like coming out of it, it's like, wait, why didn't Lamar Jackson? Why did they just unleash him in full fury and unlead? It's a bit of a what if game where it's like, this isn't the Ravens team that we saw, especially.
Speaker 1: When you say Odell.
Speaker 2: They had some good NFL films of him sitting next to Lamar as the game started to spin out, and he's basically telling Lamar you can you could change the game, like when you run like that flips the script and and everyone watching.
Speaker 1: The game was saying the same thing.
Speaker 2: How many times was he just living in that pocket instead of making plays with his legs and changing the feel and dynamic of that game.
Speaker 4: Yes, the answer is like week one ish.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's never gonna leave you until unless they make him win the Super Bowl, but especially the next couple of weeks are.
Speaker 3: Oh, you are spinning out.
Speaker 4: I remember once.
Speaker 5: I remember when we first did these, I focused on it and it hasn't even crossed my mind to not say it.
Speaker 3: I was like, how did I get out of the eighty six Giants conversation?
Speaker 1: Scott, That's a.
Speaker 5: Good job, I think, though it gets more painful the further you go. Like if you lose where the Ravens lost, Uh, that stinks for the next couple of weeks, and you always believe that you should have been there, and it's gonna stink all off season, all the coverage of it if the Chiefs win. But it's even worse if you lose the next one, like it keeps getting worse.
Speaker 1: I've said this reason what happened there, Chiefs?
Speaker 4: Well you can't. Oh, you can't say chief.
Speaker 1: It's like fifty bucks right now. Fifty that's not a that's that's a little bit of scratch.
Speaker 2: Anyway, if our teams ever get to the big game, we gotta win. It cannot get there, they cannot cannot no one. All right, let's check a couple more Gussie Maine asks, seeing as how the Vikings will probably never be the team of ATM again, well you never know.
Speaker 1: Third time could be the Tiant.
Speaker 2: Are there any other teams that can't ever be team of ATM?
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 5: Let's see ever, I would say, see Washington would have been my answer until the owner change, but now I'm open minded.
Speaker 1: New England would have been mine. But there they can't world know, Yeah, the.
Speaker 5: Jets can't, Like we can't have more Jets talking this, I understand. And that's just my Patriots fandom too.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the Ravens can't because of Mark. I would say probably the AFC North. Well, the Bengals I think are up for.
Speaker 3: The Bengals kind of secretly spiritually were for one season there um.
Speaker 5: Other than that, Yeah, when you say ever, like it's really hard to imagine the forty nine ers in this current iteration, give me ten more dollars there.
Speaker 3: Oh well, or the team they're about to play.
Speaker 5: But you never know, and like if if this show is lucky enough to still be doing it, and.
Speaker 3: I guess if you like, maybe if you look it like change where we are today.
Speaker 1: There's a handful of teams that I would never see that's it. Certainly the team that plays at Arrowhead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are never going to be the team of atn and there's got to be a certain plucking spirit to them though the true.
Speaker 1: Giants don't possess. All right, what's ex.
Speaker 2: Dennis Kelly asks what team would you most like to be a fan of in the next three to five years with an exciting future? And what team could you not be paid to be a fan of in the upcoming years?
Speaker 3: All right, easy for me on the first part.
Speaker 1: Texans.
Speaker 3: I actually love that they found a way to keep Bobby slowick around. I'm sure money was involved there and who knows what else.
Speaker 4: But we didn't get a job offer. I think that's the number one.
Speaker 5: Thing, well in general, one the insiders on where they always make a big deal of, like he's coming back.
Speaker 4: You didn't get a job.
Speaker 3: Well, just the faith that he didn't, Yes, Like just the fact that, like if you're the defensive coach, like you keep the guy that's running your offense them for obvious reasons. Couldn't root for I don't know, a bunch of teams annoying me. That's I'd have to think about that one.
Speaker 5: Well, you you mentioned one in the previous show, which I that you couldn't root for the Chargers, which I think would be close to my list of the fun one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it.
Speaker 4: Just be in St.
Speaker 5: Texans popped into my mind first too for a fun team, but I think the Chargers. Chargers might be fun because.
Speaker 3: I was I was just saying the Chargers organization can't go create.
Speaker 1: I think it'd be fun to be a fan of.
Speaker 5: Okay, the you know what strikes me right now is the Saints. Now, they could all this could get fleshed out, but there's such on the negative. On the negative side, there's something about this group running this team in this current ineration.
Speaker 4: That's the I would not want to become a fan of this team.
Speaker 1: I couldn't do Cowboys two more.
Speaker 2: Stephen Lee, we need to bring back hashtag Greg likes rap.
Speaker 5: He does, I mean, but I like other music just as.
Speaker 2: Well hashtag Greg likes rat. You're our rap officionado of the podcast. With that being said, as a former New Orleans inhabitant, that's interesting when I'm putting it cash Money Millionaires or No Limit Soldiers, that's a big one.
Speaker 5: I could be speaking out of turn here, but I feel like this sort of question would only come from a non New orleneas like, Okay, it's not much of a competation. What No Limit accomplished was was great. You know, they made the most with with what they have, but cash Money Millionaires. When I was there, which was when both these crews were coming in nineties early too, they were like the Beatles in Liverpool, I mean, and they're just far more talented, juvenile and the Beatles No then the then the No Limit Soldiers.
Speaker 2: I mean, No Limit was fun, but come on, I gotta support master P. I always do I'm very anti Big Sean very I.
Speaker 5: Mean he was he was fun too, but I mean, how many how many bangers did did No Limit really.
Speaker 1: Have No Limit?
Speaker 2: Remember the all the album covers, they all had the same general.
Speaker 4: They got it done, they got well.
Speaker 2: The aesthetic it was a very garish like bright colors. It was kind of was it kind of animated and then like kind of blowing out.
Speaker 5: Great, they're kind of coming back. People now are like copying them. I love master p his commercial where he was selling like his own phone, the No Limit phone that you could buy that just ran NonStop in New Orleans is seared into my brain.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right, one more last question, good one, Greg see people wanted to hear it'd been too long. Chris at TN oilers ask where does Kirk land a little lookhead of? And we could talk kind of a landscape of some quarterbacks in general as we look ahead to the off season. I thought we were a little bit and we talked about some buyer b aware with Cousins on Wednesday, but a little circaissance, not just in how the public views him, but the Vikings.
Speaker 1: I felt like they were falling in love with Kirk again.
Speaker 2: Last year and then to see what happened when betrayed both us and the Vikings with his play, and then everything had happened.
Speaker 4: It's not like any of his successors fared any better.
Speaker 2: But yes, but I kind of would say that the odds on favorite would be him staying in Minnesota.
Speaker 3: But I mean to your argument from the other show is they also would have concerns I think fairly about what physical shape he is in post Achilles.
Speaker 1: Like that was Greg's argument.
Speaker 5: Well, it's also like, is this the time for them as an organization to reset? I think you're right Dan that they are the most likely destination. But for the sake of this conversation, I think it's fun to consider the Denver Broncos as an underrated team. I think he would fit well with pay and I think they're very much in win now mode and they have no quarterback. I don't think Russell Wilson is going to be an option there and a real wildcard here. Offensive staff is changing, but just throwing it out there, a ton of cap space, veteran team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, just I don't.
Speaker 4: I was trying to think of like where he would be I liked I like that.
Speaker 5: I think Denver actually strikes me as the team that would pay the money for him.
Speaker 3: Maybe I wish he would go to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Speaker 4: That'd be fun, he.
Speaker 2: Uh, I like him just walking in there and saying, Kenny Pickett, give me number eight and get the hell.
Speaker 1: Out of here, Rue, You're gone.
Speaker 2: He'd weirdly fit the Steelers, but I wouldn't get in a Pittsburgh uniform. That just and that team. Yeah, listen, careful what you wish for. You give them a proficient quarterback with the skill players there, with that defense, the Steelers could be, you know, back in.
Speaker 1: The AFC Championship game themselves very quickly. All right? Uh? Is that it? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's any other quarterbacks to throw out there? Just by the way, while we're here, who else is?
Speaker 1: So? The banker is obviously a figure of interest.
Speaker 4: Russell Wilson, rob justin Field. See Russell Wilson to me, seems like a dealer.
Speaker 5: The Falcons, I think, will be looking for one, and Cousins could fit that offense quite well too.
Speaker 3: I am very suspicious. I'm very suspicious of a team signing up for Russell Wilson as their starter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be. I feel like that would be God. Would any be excited in Pittsburgh?
Speaker 1: No, I don't know. I don't think he think he needs to.
Speaker 2: I feel like Russ almost has to do a Baker where he needs to go somewhere and win a job and then kind of try to rest out.
Speaker 5: I think it's safe to say Jamis Winston will be looking for a new job after how last season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious.
Speaker 4: I am curious.
Speaker 1: I know I was.
Speaker 2: This wasn't an overly popular take, but if he will have a slightly chillier market based on how the season ended.
Speaker 4: His market was very chilly last year, Like cow.
Speaker 2: Many head coach is gonna be like, Oh that's the guy I want my locker room.
Speaker 3: I mean it was an upset he stayed with the Saints.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this season he didn't have a ton of interest, So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Raiders got to find someone. Maybe Justin Field's in a Raiders uniform.
Speaker 4: I could see that.
Speaker 1: Sure, Sure anything else.
Speaker 3: Good job, good job, everybody, Thank you raised a lot of money.
Speaker 4: What a day.
Speaker 5: This is one of those days where this feels like the music podcast we've done, and like it's a very podcasting podcast, and then we're just hearing this studio with these bright lights and this is gonna air on fast and there's all those people behind the class and I was like.
Speaker 1: Well, wait does that really work? Madison behind the glass? Who else is there? Who's there?
Speaker 2: Eric Roberts, Josh behind the glass, Cynthia and of course Eric the producer. Thank you you guys all sharing this award equally so when you if you want to call up your moms and dads back today, we won.
Speaker 1: We shared this great success around the NFL.
Speaker 2: To everyone else who attempted to defeat us, whether it's the fellow nominees or old bosses, past lovers, or the past lovers, or the enemies who have yet to reveal themselves. We are Brett fav in the two thousand and nine NFC title game. But there is no interception, Oh just touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Just seeds everywhere. Come after us and heed the call.