Speaker 1: Native Lampid is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, y'all, this is our mini pod. I'm so happy I get to sit down with my brother who is married. There is a and this has everything to do with this mini pot. There is a very interesting debate happening online and this is for the merry guys. I want to know what y'all think. Please send us in your videos on this because I'm sure there's going to be some debates. There's a sister named Chloe Sullivan who have this to say about her husband online last night. My marriage was shaken over a makeup kit. But anyone looking from the outside will call me crazy. My husband came home from his company's luncheon Radiant. It was an employee only luncheon, and he was drawn as the winner of a super premium skin care and makeup kit. She doesn't say the brand, expensive and complete. You know, the kind of treat any woman would love to get. But what did he do? He simply looked to the side and handed the entire prize over to a female coworker. It didn't stop there, so this is the first of me.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: He told me this, laughing, proud of his own generosity. To top it all off, the company took a photo of the two of them together, smiling with the gift, and posted it on their official profile for everyone to see. The quote perfect husband making another woman's day. While he was posing for the photo and playing the gentleman, I was at home taking care of our son, cleaning the house, preparing his dinner. Exhausted, my eyes filled with tears instantly. I can already tell we're gonna be on the other side of this garrison, but let me keep going. The feelings of being undervalued was so violent it took my breath away. Not for one second did I cross his mind. The existence of his own wife was completely erased at that event. He preferred the smile and gratitude of a co war her over mine. He preferred the social applause of being the quote nice guy. When I confronted him, the worst part came. He called me dramatic and crazy. He said it would quote look bad for a man to accept makeup in front of everyone, and that he couldn't refuse the moment. In other words, his ego and what others would think matter more than my feelings, What others would think matter more than my feelings. Now the photo is out there on the internet. Yeah, have you seen this photo? I have not seen this photo. Everyone is praising his kindness while I'm here swallowing my tears and a rage that is eating me up inside. He says it's just silly jealousy. But to me, it was a betrayal of consideration.
Speaker 3: He's making this worse.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling awful guilty for Oh, I'm feeling awful guilty. I don't think she meant that comment. I'm feeling awful guilty for feeling so much anger. But I just can't forget that photo. Garrison. Let me ask you this. Are you bringing in that makeup kit home and posing with the makeup kit at work? Or are you giving it to a female co worker? Or is it none of the above.
Speaker 3: I'm bringing it home first and foremost, I'm bringing it home. His real problem was coming home, Radiant, come home. You got to come home believed, you got to come home feeling like it was a tough day at work. You can't come home, Radiant, brother, that's the problem.
Speaker 1: What does it mean we need to see a picture of sure.
Speaker 3: First of all, how is he smiling in the photo?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: It seemed like she sprayed the setting spray and it was a dewey setting spray. He came home glowing like the anointing fell upon this man.
Speaker 3: I'm bringing it home for sure. First of all, shout out to my lovely wife, Simone. Yes, what's up? I'm bringing it home. One, because Simon is super into makeup, she probably already has whatever it is that he won, but I'm bringing it home. Let's add to the pile. And you know, it's like she has all of this stuff, so let's let's add it on. So that's problem one. He came home radiant too. He should have just brought it home. Three, the picture. It really matters how you take that picture, like you gotta take it. I need to see the picture because he needs to take the picture like he is with like then to make a wish, it needs to be like I just help this person in need out. You know I think that was It's all his fault. Let's start there. But obviously she's feeling, you know, a little put out, a little left behind, a little forgotten and that sounds bigger than this one incident.
Speaker 1: If I'm being honest with you, that is my thing. So, Dear Chloe, I just have to tell you since I think your problem started before the makeup kid was ever given to this other woman at work, I think that the issue is it sounds like they don't have no date night. It sounded like then I have an in depth conversations about feelings about workload at home. I think there are a lot of stay at home spouses or spouses that carry a majority of the load for the family, and when that's off balance, resentment builds for people who are going out living their best life. So she was like the work event felt like he was out at the club almost. So I feel like just from the post, the fact that it was a four part post post at that on threads, sounds like their issues are far deeper than the makeup kid. The makeup kid you was trying to put that on a pig. Honey, y'all need to go to therapy and get some support. And I'm rooting for y'all because you know, I just I think that it's said. I do want to say something that my sisters ain't gonna like I think she is given a little drama here. There's a little drama. I am siding with the man. She sounds dramatic and crazy, like I honestly, then this is gonna be rude, but this is my honest truth. I really want to know how old the baby is because I was like, is there any post partum something going on? I know, because I was like, this just feels like a hyper overreaction. So it's either postpartum or they have really big issues that she's been suppressing. And then she finally started to journal on Threads, which I also don't recommend. Don't try to sitt home like Threads is not your journal bot, it's not the group chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and take it to the notes app potentially something, or take it to him, right, that's novel.
Speaker 1: How much of this did she say to him? And so I just I was concerned reading this. I was like, I feel like I might be with the guy.
Speaker 3: Like the low key he lost me, I mean, he lost me from Radiant, but he also.
Speaker 1: She could have put some stink on is dramatic.
Speaker 3: It's true. It's true she may have put a little sauce on there, but you know, he could have come home, like, ah, you know, it was just another event, you know, just like you if your wife is at home.
Speaker 1: Kind of deceptive too, oh for.
Speaker 3: Sure, because it definitely is. It definitely is.
Speaker 1: Build on the line.
Speaker 3: Don't go out there having a great time and you know your wife is at home taking care of the baby, tired, cooking, cleaning, all this stuff, and you're gonna come in like I had a wonderful time. That's just inconsiderate.
Speaker 1: But did he say, let's go back to Chloe's poe. Did he say he had a wonderful time?
Speaker 3: But let me say that, let me tell you he may have said that. Did he say that.
Speaker 1: My husband came home from his company's lunching radiance?
Speaker 3: Radiance?
Speaker 1: That is not an expression. That is her perception of how this man looked. It was an employee's only lunch, and he was drawn as the winner of a super premium skincare makeup kid, expensive and complete, and she just she does not say what he said. The only thing she says, he said, Oh he was laughing, That's what I'm saying, laughing, proud of his own generosity, you know.
Speaker 3: And that's fine, you know, I'm I'm oh wait, Jordan fail to.
Speaker 1: Make up kid Jordan Sidis put his picture up in both I mean, uh, this always got ysl product.
Speaker 3: Oh, brother, you messed up.
Speaker 1: So it's yl she liked and go Diva chocolate in there, not go Diva. This's how you know yours, you know. But we'll let him have Go Diva if he wants to go Diva.
Speaker 3: I'm saying Diva.
Speaker 1: He's she's mad because he told that lady go Diva and did not tell his wife go Diva. But also, you know what, I think it is too they not having no date night, so she didn't have no whord to mirror to makeup either. You know about that too.
Speaker 3: You know where else he lost me? Where he lost me when he was like, oh it looked bad for me as a man to take a picture with the makeup kid. Brother, are you serious?
Speaker 1: Well, okay, tell me why? Tell me why so you opposed with the makeup kid every time?
Speaker 3: Every single time happily with a big smile.
Speaker 1: Okay, why?
Speaker 3: First of all, I just won something. I love winning I won something. It was free and it obviously is like costly expensive. I'm you smile like it was Christmas, Like I really want it exactly and then I'm taking it home to the wife. I'm excited to kind of present this gift, you know what I'm saying, Like like there were so many off ramps and he didn't take any of them. And then and then it almost seems like there's a little homophobia in there, low.
Speaker 1: Ki, I think that that could be true. But they're also like, I don't know that my dad and he's not homophobic, but like when I was growing up, he was not gonna let me put makeup on him. And I could see my dad being like, I'm not posing with this makeup. Kay, y'all come do this? Like I don't. But I don't think it's homophobic. I think he's just like I'm not this. This ain't a gift for me. Like it's like somebody gives you a gift for Father's Day now or for Christmas, and I do not want this that yeah, and so I don't want to he'd been already labeled as radiant when he might not have been radiant, but he might I don't know that I want to name it label him homophobic either. Plus he might have when he realized how pish he was, he might have been scrambling to figure out what he could say. I coulmpose with it because I mean makeup, somebody else had to do it. But I don't know. I just I feel I feel bad for this brother. He needs a good circle of friends that he should have talked to before. But he might not have thought it was a big deal.
Speaker 3: Honestly, it probably should not have been a big deal. It shouldn't have been a big deal. Yeah, being just, I'm telling jokes, but it shouldn't have been a big deal. They definitely need to talk to each other. But come on, you can bring the makeup. Even if she didn't want it, she could give it to a friend. There's the you know, child why he did.
Speaker 1: Not consider her in that way?
Speaker 3: It really is kind of it kind of is a question like we should ask.
Speaker 1: Her, like, Chloe, do you have a lot of makeup at home? Is he? Is he somebody that's like you are a hoarder and you don't need no more ship for sure? It's so many there's so many layers to this that could be like I don't remember the last time I seen her putting makeup. I don't need to bring this home.
Speaker 3: It could right right, Maybe she isn't into makeup. But maybe she's naturally pretty.
Speaker 1: It's like I don't I don't like what you wear makeup. I want her to be playing face.
Speaker 3: It could be so many things they could be.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Friends, I want to talk to Chloe because I really wish that she didn't do this on the internet. It is the internet into your business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, room, you know what I'm saying. They could have she could have left that. But a word of advice to the brothers. One, if you come home radiant, come bearing gifts. If you come home radiant, come bearing gifts. That's all I'm saying. He could have come home radiant.
Speaker 1: I I want to say this to my sisters at home. I am not married, but I will say that I have been known to be a little dramatic. It's a little dramatic. Oh wow, And I think shutter Garrison. I think that you have to pick your battles, you know. I think that you have to decide, you know, when something is worth creating an argument about. And this is I'm sure an argument for them still at home. Part of it is do the work of getting underneath the thing. It wasn't the makeup, kids, So what was it? Really, how are you really feeling? And if you are not, if you're in a situation or relationship or in a marriage where you can't have that honest and earnest conversation, you have to create the spaciousness to get to that point where the marriage won't survive. I don't think so. It's just like, you know, with all that's going on in the world, I need y'all not to fall out over makeup. I need I need these institutions to thrive and survive. We're living in a world right now where fifty percent of marriage is in and divorce. So I don't want that for y'all, not over no makeup, even if it is YSL. You're going to net go yard back to get that YSL, you know.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Yeah, that's good advice, you know, I'd say the you know, we've my wife and I we've been married now for seven years, and the thing that keeps us fresh, you know, and keeps us going is communication. At the end of the day, you're going to go through times where communication is it needs a little tune up. So do the tune up, do the maintenance on the relationship. That's necessary, that's important, that's a part of the process. And it's so common to argue about things that aren't the actual thing that you wanting to argue about. Do the work of getting very proximate to the thing that's actually the problem, and stop making all these proxy wars and proxy fights. The thing that you're arguing about, ah that you don't really care about the bag. You care about the fact that you're carrying a heavier load than you anticipated. You thought you were in a partnership, and now you feel like you're doing all the cooking and all the cleaning, and you're feeding the baby, and you're putting them down, and you're changing it. You feel like you're taking on too much. And now man comes home, you know, radiant, and that's the They still don't.
Speaker 1: Know if this could be misinformation. We do not know that this man was actually ready, you know what, Garrison, you know. On that point, there was something Brene Brown talked about I can't remember with show, but she was talking about how there's a misnomer that relationships are always fifty to fifty. Do you think that some of that is coming into play, Like there's some parts some seasons where somebody is seventy thirty or ninety ten. Yeah should they should people talk about if they got fifty percent to give right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, that's real and it takes that's that's so real. I mean, we have a little baby boy, he's just a few months, he's eight months old, and my wife nurses him. That is labor. That is a labor of love. I can't compare, you know, like that, the waking up and he's ready to nurse at two am. There is no way for me to make up the difference between that disruption, right, and so I got to take on some other things. But even still, that physical burden is real, and so you're totally right. There are times, and even if you don't have kids, there are times where work and life and all the balances mean that it's not exactly even, and you have to it takes relational awareness and self awareness to be able to say, oh, shoot, okay, let me try to pick a couple of extra things up to try to match this because that ain't really working. Let me bring home a little something, you know, to kind of just try to make up for some of the imbalances here. That's what it means to be in a good relationship. And so You're totally right. It's rarely if I could even say never fifty to fifty, but you know, do what you can to make up for some of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I was listening to you and thinking about my parents. Now. My mom has of course been in this cancer battle for some time, and my dad has taken on the role of caregiver for her, and he delights in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think in a lot of ways that is what has helped my mom to be so positive in the fight. But like he wants to make her food and bring her her plate. He wants to do all these things that normally you know me and me got about woman, bring me my up plate. You know, my mom is like Eddie, I'm ready to eat, you know, and he's on it. And so I think I wonder for them because there is no clear end insight for her battle. Right, Like she's they've changed the amount of time that now she'll be on chemo, Like she's two weeks on, two weeks off. It was one what is it, three weeks on? No, two weeks on, one week off, and now it's two weeks on, two weeks off, which is easy, but she's still weaker in those times that my dad is taking things on sometimes in a way that I feel like, isn't it help? I'm like, she still needs to use her hands dead, you know. But I'm just saying that because for some people they be like, Okay, well it's gonna be your season to do this for two weeks or two months. But it's like what happens when that shifts indefinitely?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Do you have enough love and goodness stored up in the bank to handle that so that when the makeup kit comes home? Or does it? You know, y'all are still all right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's in the vowels, right. I mean for most people, you know, sickness and health.
Speaker 1: Right, for better for worse. I didn't know it was gonna be this worse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's in there. It's in there for a reason. And you and I think what your your dad is doing, I think is such a great example because that almost doing too much. It's probably just enough, you know what I mean. It probably puts them in that like that mindset, I'm gonna actually do more than I need to. It's actually the right mindset, like let's reel it back, as opposed to there being this gap where we need you to actually do more. And I think that's the way you got to approach it. That's my mindset.
Speaker 1: Then you don't when you when well, all that's said and done, whether you're done or the other person's done, or y'all are done together, you have no regrets. Yeah, and I think that's the part. So sir with the makeup kid, make it up so you don't have any regrets. Friends with the post, Chloe Cisco, apologize to this man. I think that we might have overreacted just a little bit. That's my friendly advice. You don't have to listen to me. I'm not married, but I am forty six. I've been around the block. I think that was a little dramatic with his radiant self. Anyway, this is good Garan Shiit, y'all better take this band's marriage advice. He and Simone are happy and they have a beautiful baby. And we want to shout her out again for winning the Young Lawyers.
Speaker 3: Yes, shout out to Simone Marshall Hayes for winning the Young Lawyer's Division of the NBA Humanitarian Award. She was a domestic violence advocate and prosecutor for a number of years and worked really really hard to advocate for folks who are in bad situations right and so I'm very proud of her, and I'm glad I get to say all of that here.
Speaker 1: I love it. But welcome home, y'all. Will see you next time. Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Resent Choice Media. For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.