Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Mexi and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast. This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 2: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation Law firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell here in Philadelphia. The start of the seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino. Matt Murphy, I'll be joined by Tom McGuinness. We'll hope to hear from Nick Nurse as we always do postgame after one nineteen one fourteen loss to the Wizards in their return from the six game road trip, They've got a back to back coming up at home, which we'll talk about throughout our postgame coverage here. It's Saturday and Sunday night, Miami and Toronto coming in tonight. Alex Sar, the number two overall pick, leads all scorers with twenty four points for Washington, who the final score looks a lot closer than it was down the stretch. Credit the Sixers effort for losing by five. The end of the game took. The final couple of minutes took a while for, among other things, a goaltending review, some pre throws mixed in, but the Sixers were down fourteen with four minutes left and got within a couple of points, but due fall one nineteen one fourteen. I'm sure we'll probably hit on this a couple times throughout our postgame coverage, and Tom talked about it as well. But a hugely successful night for the brick and for Chicken campaign and a reminder to our fans that it's Brickin for Chicken time. Courtesy of Chick fil A and Tonight Washington's JT Thor and Colby Jones twice for missing consecutive free throws. So make sure to download and open the Chick fil A app by ten thirty am tomorrow to claim your free twelve count Chick fil A Nuggets twelve.
Speaker 1: Count very rare.
Speaker 2: Redeem the reward by scanning the Chick fil A app or by placing a mobile order within three days of the game. Thank you, Chick fil A. The leading rebounders in the game were Justin Champenni of Washington ten rebounds with his eighteen points for a double double. Also ten rebounds for Justin of the sixers, Justin Edwards he had nineteen points, so very similar double doubles for both of those players. Assists wise, it was Jordan Poole with a game high seven assist to go with his eighteen points. He was a plus twenty, so a couple points below his season average as their leading scorer. But Jordan Pool, the former champion with the Warriors, had seven assists with eighteen points and a good all around game well time threes for the visiting Wizards. Tristan Buchevich had seventeen off the bench for them, Jalen Martin had twelve, which is an NBA career high. All five Sixers starters in double figures, led by Quentin Grimes as twenty two, Kershaon Yabuseles twenty one Edwards with the nineteen thirteen for Ricky Council the fourth and eleven for starting point guard jeft Douton Junior. Jared Butler had fourteen as a reserve, but four more threes for the Wizards eighteen of forty four, which is forty one percent compared to the Sixers fourteen of forty six, which is thirty percent. Let's jump on with Tom before or as we wait four Nick Nurse's postgame availability. But Tom, your instant takeaway other than all the misfree throws for Washington which led to an abundance of Chick fil A nuggets? Your takeaways from this game that featured a lot of different characters and guys taking advantage of the opportunity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they ended up with eighteen threes, but their start they made nine in the opening quarter, and by them making those threes, it kind of staked them to a lead that they did relinquish, but never in total, they racked up forty five points in the first quarter, holding the Sixers to twenty seven, and that big advantage was one that was able to provide them enough of a cushion really to hold on. Sixers made it interesting down the stretch. But yeah, they missed seven free throws, but in the end they made eighteen of forty four, so they shot fewer threes but made more. They ended up shooting forty one percent from the field from three, and I think you'd take that every single night.
Speaker 1: Right certainly.
Speaker 2: And this I'm being told is the first twelve count because of those misfree throws since Jannis and the ladder and him coming out postgame to practice his free throws. They actually have the ladder out there right now on the court at the basket to the right. But that was the last time the twelve count has hit. Justin edwards right now. We've talked a lot about who else on the Sixers side were you impressed with.
Speaker 3: Well, Yabu was very effective early on, and then like I said, it seems like Quentin Grimes. Now he was held under twenty eighty at eighth straight with twenty eight or more, but he's still got twenty two points. You know, he made six field goals, four of which were threes. He made all of his free throws, he ends up getting kind of get him his every single game grimes. He did that in thirty three minutes. So those three guys led the Sixers. Ricky kind of came on strong down the stretch. Deared Butler made four threes, and you know that was kind of Bona played. I thought Bona played well. He played twenty three minutes. He had three field goals, six rebounds, and one thing. You know, even though sometimes Bona or even any big like if they challenge shots and make it known that they're going after they're gonna contest shot, that's a big message right there and can be largely effective on defense. And I thought Bona was that kind of presence for the Sixers on d.
Speaker 2: We do have to talk about Justin Edwards though, because if you look through this box score, five steals with nineteen points and ten rebounds, that's his first NBA double double. But the defense too with the five steals is impressive. How about that stat line nineteen ten and five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, for sure, it'd be interesting to see with a full compliment, like you know, you have to think at this stage, you know next year, because it's one of those things, it's like a byproduct of what happened this year. I don't you know, probably he wasn't playing much at all at the beginning, but because of how the season ended up with the injuries and the plane opportunity for him, you know, the Sixers found him and that's sometime a diamond in the rough sort of thing is what happens. And for him it's an amazing thing, but no doubt about it. And uh, you know, he had those two attempts late downstretch from.
Speaker 1: Point that's how he got the double double.
Speaker 2: You know, he ended up with five offensive rebounds in this game, and I think three of them were on two or three were on that one play, So five of his ten rebounds were on the offensive glass. Late he kept coming up short on the right side of the basket, but.
Speaker 3: Sire was right there. It's not like he was blowing to you know, a bunny. He was close, but again Alex Sayer was taking a swipe at those. So now he's been very impressive and I know Coach Nurse likes him. And then more and more you hear coach talk about him you understand what he likes, because then you you take that information. And speaking of coach, he's speaking right now. Let's see if we can tune in with Nick Nurse at the podium.
Speaker 4: I have six minutes. They had a ton I think a time out. I told him on pace to score fifty and they almost got there by throwing that three in at the end of the quarter. From then on it was a little bit better, but that, you know, just the start. Defensively, Transition thought a lot of a lot of wide open shots in the first quarter. They almost were most begging us to take threes and seemed like we almost had to take them, and then we didn't hit any of them early and they were out in Transition, chased it uphill for most of the game, closed it down a couple of times, got away from us again, closed down a little bit at the end, but really all about the start of the game, didn't feel like we were moving great started the game. I guess I would you kind of tell the guy like Ricky, like, are you happy with the shots that he was taking tonight or what's there maybe something you know, like like I think the catch and shoot threes most of them are Okay, once in a while, it gets a little deep in that slot. You know, I think that's that's probably a little deep again, just from an efficient sea standpoint, some of the some of the turnaround jumpers twelve to fourteen feet are pretty high degree of difficulty and pretty low efficiency shots. Don't don't don't love those, And really trying to get him to push the ball and transition more and getting the paint and make a play, you know, really trying to get him to do that more than once or twice a game. You know, been stressing that to him because it's one thing he's really good at. But yeah, he's had some he's had some really erratic shooting nights. He's had he had a great one the other night, but a couple sandwiched around a couple really erratic ones. And I think he's I think he's better shooter than that, but he's he's really had a tough time getting the ball to go in the basket.
Speaker 3: This year.
Speaker 1: Looked like he was kind of moving a little bit better at the night.
Speaker 5: Dude, kind of sense that he's kind of getting better, Like after.
Speaker 4: The last couple, last couple, he certainly moved moved better after kind of a long stretch of strugg going again. But yeah, I think he had a game off in there somewhere and was able to get three or four days rest and just good to see him. I think scoring at the basket a little bit more because he was doing that like almost automatic early in the year, and then obviously the picking pops he had going a little bit tonight too.
Speaker 3: He learned about Quentin in this more ball domin and high usage role that he's in.
Speaker 4: Well, he can get his shots off right, Like he can really create his own shots. He can he can stop, start and vault up and get clearance, pretty physical with the ball to He's good at whatever, shoulder hitting, slight push off maybe again getting space. Little little bit like I'm still trying to figure out when he's exactly going to pull the triggers on the threes. Sometimes it seems like when it gets swung and he's wide open. He like we had one tonight where he caught it and he was wide opening, He's like, oh man, I'm opening, didn't shoot it, and then he sat there for a second shot it totally guarded and switched it right. So a little bit a little bit trying to get the rhythm of when he's gonna pulled out some of those. But again, I think I think the three balls creating his own offense, and I do I do like his explosiveness downhill, like he vaults up and goes into makes contact, kind of keeps elevating after he makes contact and gets gets to the line pretty good and knows and finishes some of those.
Speaker 5: I think you're talking about with hesitating a little bit on three. Do you think any of that is just that he knows that he's gonna have a lot of opportunities right now, and so maybe he's thinking, I'm gonna get other guys involve and hunt a little bit, rather than when he's playing in that pure spot up roll off of Tyres and other guys.
Speaker 4: It felt like then, yeah, I think I think maybe yeah. I almost think that he knows he's got a lot of attention on him, and it's almost he's super surprised when he gets comes off a screen and he's like wide open. I just I think he's always thinking there's one, possibly one and I half two guys going to be lunging out at him. And I think that's probably a little I've noticed that he he seems like he's ready for for double teams and blitzes and things when he's handling a little bit. So maybe maybe that's part of it too. I don't know, I'll talk to him about it.
Speaker 3: That was the coach.
Speaker 5: But the early start they had in terms of the threes, how much was a sessence, was what they wanted to run? How much was that was effective health?
Speaker 3: Is that why they were so effective? Really they wanted to do what they wanted to do at that first quarter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think most of it just had to do with us just not quite moving great to start right. It just felt like again when they drive the ball, that was like by us, right, our are are impacting the body on drive. We were just off off our guys, you know, a step, step and a half and they just had freedom, you know a lot of freedom to get get in the lane and then that's going to cause a chain reaction of movement for the rest of your defense. Uh. Some of it was in transition as well. Some of it was you know, just straight picking pops with sorrow that you know, we didn't again execute defensively very well either. Again, I think I think more of it was just attention to detail and attention to making sure we got out to the shooters. I think we were we were kind of playing let's hope they miss rather than let's make them miss, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, all right, there's Nick Nurse on the Parks Casino postgame show after the Wizards beat the Sixers tonight in Philadelphia one nineteen one fourteen. That first quarter that we've been talking about was the Wizards forty five the Sixers twenty nine with the nine threes for Washington along with Tom McGuinness Matt Murphy here and tough to overcome that first quarter. Now you go into the final back to back of the season and it's on home court with a couple of seven thirty games. On Saturday against Miami, Sunday against Toronto. They're the teams that are kind of just ahead of you by a little comfortable margin in the standings. The Heat had the last play in, but then the Raptors, who are going to beat Brooklyn tonight, they're up twenty six early in the fourth quarter in New York. But what are your thoughts on the upcoming set of games. It's the last one consecutively.
Speaker 3: I you know, I can't recall a time when Miami struggled like this. They lost those ten games in a row.
Speaker 2: And they just beat Jimmy in the highly anticipated Warriors Heat game in Miami yesterday.
Speaker 3: The game that stopped their streak. I believe Wiggins had forty one, right, So that'll be unusual to watch Andrew or Andrew Wiggins with the heat, right. Hero look good, Bam always seems good.
Speaker 1: Their rookie ware has been really good. Center.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he did last night. I watched some of the game he did. He looked really good. So with great length, but yeah, that'll be it'll be difficult. So we'll see. Two days off I think probably well needed for the Sixers in that coming back and playing so quickly after the the road trip to be able to get a day and then you know, prep a little bit for the heat and then Toronto. Those those are big game in terms of the standings.
Speaker 2: Right in that Brooklyn Toronto game tonight, Perle was dnp Rest, quickly was dnp Rest. Brooklyn didn't play Cam Johnson for Rest, and it does look like Toronto is going to win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, up to six.
Speaker 2: I like their chances, which will keep Brooklyn and the Sixers with the same record, which is now twenty three and fifty.
Speaker 3: But didn't you say something about.
Speaker 2: Division record is what comes into play for the tie breakers. So that's why every time you look at the standings, Brooklyn stays ahead of the Sixers because they at last check had a better record against Atlantic Division opponents. Because head to head is two to two this season between the Sixers and the Nets.
Speaker 3: It'll be interesting, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: So it's the tenth and eleventh place Eastern Conference teams though in Miami and Toronto that will be coming in here this weekend. But two nights without a game for the Sixers before then, and tonight they fall to the Wizards one nineteen one fourteen time againess, thank you as always, all right, five point loss for the Sixers. We've got more to come postgame, including the big welcome sign right now has the logo for the flagship of the Sixers radio network ninety seven to five, the Fanatic Philadelphia with a welcome message because tonight is Fanatic knockout as they're getting set for that with Tyrone Johnson on the mic. So that is a situation we'll be monitoring throughout the remainder of our postgame coverage. Again, Washington won nineteen Philadelphia one fourteen. Here in Philadelphia, we have audio highlights and more stats after a break. You're listening to the seventy six Ers postgame Show presented by Parks Casino. This is the Parks Casino seventy six Ers Postgame Show. Welcome back to the Center in Philadelphia. I'm Matt Murphy. It's the first game in twelve days for the Sixers at home. They only have three road games left out of their remaining ten. Well, that's three road games left out of nine. Now tonight welcoming the Washington Wizards, the second of the three meetings between the two teams. The Sixers took the one here on January eighth, and we're about to hear the audio highlights of this game featuring the Sixers and Wizards in Philly. Let's listen to how it sounded from start to finish, as called by Tom McGuinness.
Speaker 1: The Wizards in navy blue.
Speaker 2: Uniforms with red, the Sixers in white spectrum themed City edition uniforms on a Spirit of seventy six night presented by Crypto dot Com. Among the inactives, it ended up being ten for the Sixers and a handful plus for the Wizards. On their side, it includes trade deadline acquisitions betteran NBA players in Chris Middleton, Marcus Smart, a couple of their young players as well. For the Sixers, it's the same crowd that's been missing. There was an update pregame on Tyrese Maxi from Nick Nurse that Maxie's working out on court and after seeing another specialist for that right Pinky Sprain, he's in a differ diferent type of splint, now hopeful that he may return before the end of the year. Lonnie Walker the fourth after the concussion two weeks ago. Tonight in Toronto, he was listed as out with a next brain tonight an eight other Sixers, so it was the forty ninth different starting lineup of the season for the Sixers. Jeff Dalton, Junior, Quentin Grimes, Justin Edwards, Ricky Counsel of the fourth inn gershon Yabu Stele. Remember, the NBA record is fifty one for the Memphis Grizzlies last season, two away from that, tying that for this year's Sixers. The bell ringer got a big pop. It was Will Smith the four time Grammy Award winner, Academy Award and Golden Globe winner, has a new album coming out Friday, based on a true story. Ten two start to the game for Washington became a nineteen to nine start, despite all nine of those points being scored by Yabusele for the Sixers in the first five minutes, and both he and Alex Sarr of Washington had three first half threes, but saw in close during a double digit first quarter for him.
Speaker 3: And now Carrington with five on the reset into Sar. Sar dribbles, goes up and dunks it. Two sixers were around him, but they didn't stop him at all. Justin Edwards trying to swat at it and Alex Sar has five made that duncle Kezi.
Speaker 2: Seventeen to nine. He had thirteen in the first quarter. Justin Champenny had eleven in the first quarter. They would finish with Sar having twenty four, a game high, Champenni having an eighteen point ten rebound double double, matching Justin Edwards of the Sixers for the game high in rebounding. With the ten and the first quarter, here's the end of it. Was such a high scoring quarter for the Wizards, who were reigning three so after including Star the second overall pick, but some of their newer players as well, one of whom after the deadline is Colby Jones of Washington to beat the buzzer and give them their ninth three of the first.
Speaker 3: Three seconds he goes to the right side. Jones gets it off at t the buzzer and in Washington one of it's clearly one of its best quarters of the year. Colby Jones beats a buzzer, he makes a three and with that the Washington withverers go back up by sixteen.
Speaker 2: Eight points in the game for the former Sacramento King, Colby Jones nine for twelve from three and the Sixers shot at six for fourteen from three in the first quarter, so nine for twelve. Washington was up forty five twenty nine heading to the second where Yabu Sele picked up where he started the first quarter with, starting the second with another three.
Speaker 3: He's into the lane on JK Thorp, back out to Yabuselee for three and it's good Yabu with his third three in the game. Second chance opportunity. Jared Butler was able to get that rebound and with that the Sixers cut it to.
Speaker 2: Thirteen forty five thirty two became sixty seven to fifty Washington at halftime. The Sixers were able to outscore the Wizards twenty nine twenty two in the second quarter. Yabu's final line in just under twenty seven minutes of play as the starting center twenty one points, eight rebounds, one block shot. He was three for eight from three, so all three of his threes came in the first half and the Sixers were down by nine. In that second quarter, Philip Wheeler made his NBA debut and scored.
Speaker 1: For the Sixers.
Speaker 2: He would end up with two field goals tonight, four points and four rebounds in fifteen and a half minutes, coming from the Main Celtics formerly the main Red clause in years past. But it's his fifth G League team in four seasons, so a night to remember for Philip Wheeler, now of the Sixers on a ten day contract. Sixty seven to fifty eight halftime game. Justin Edwards had a big night for the Sixers and he continued where he left off on the strong road trip. He kept cutting into the Wizard's lead. He cut into a seven to make it a seven point game. Alex Saar did answer with a dunk, but Edwards in another nine point game.
Speaker 3: Sar on the move left ten dribble. Don Lmaine puts it up, not enough Parc on it, couldn't bank it in. They get it back, but then Sar throws it away. Justin Edwards trying to make a move on Johnson left ten layup gooz Man. The Sixers make it a seven point game, six and a half to go.
Speaker 2: Wizards seventy six, Sixers sixty nine. Edwards with nineteen points, ten rebounds, and five steals on a night that he completes his first NBA double double, only one three pointer, but shot nine for fifteen from the field in almost thirty six minutes. A nineteen point, ten rebound game for Justin Edwards. The Sixers trailed ninety seven eighty five, though after three, Jordan Poole had back to back threes during an eleven zero run. He went four for seven for three on an eighteen point night pool so two to d Alex Sar from beyond the arc with the twenty four points. Justin Champenni with the eighteen and ten was four for six, so that's three. Wizard starters who made four to three pointers each. They made eighteen as a team, led the Sixers ninety seven eighty five going into the fourth quarter, and that was after Colby Jones hit another buzzer beater three. Like the first quarter, he did it at the end of the third and as the Sixers crept closer. Ricky Council the fourth with a big fourth quarter. He had nine of his thirteen points. Tristan Vukcevic, the big man off Washington's bench. He had nine of his seventeen points in the fourth.
Speaker 3: Washington by eight. Here's Fukesvich in the lane up and good Bona with the foul and Vuke seven. Tristan Vuksevitch in his second season from Serbia, drafted by the Wizards in twenty three with the forty second pick. He's had a block now in seven of the last eight games.
Speaker 2: Double digit lead for Vuchevic and the Wizards, he comes up two points shy of his NBA career high of nineteen eleven of the seventeen in the second half, nine of those in the fourth quarter. Jalen Martin did have a career high for them off the bench with twelve points. He was the blue Coats first call up to the NBA this season, and it was to Washington too. The young Jalen Martin had an NBA career high twelve, surpassing his previous mark by one, and Buchevic comes up two points short, one oh seven ninety seven Washington. They were up fourteen with four minutes left in this game. They were up eleven with ninety seconds left, but the Sixers had it all the way down to four eventually, and Grimes prior to that during the comeback from beyond the.
Speaker 3: Left side of the court rises for three and it's good crime. So with twenty in the game, Sixers trail one fifteen, one oh.
Speaker 2: Four, twenty two points to lead this tonight for Quentin Grimes, whose twenty five plus point streak does come to an end at eight consecutive games. In thirty three minutes and twenty eight seconds, Quintin Grimes six of sixteen from the field, four for nine from three, and a perfect six for six at the line, but he and Jared Butler both made four threes as a team, though they shot just thirty percent from long distance fourteen for forty six, and even though the Sixers made it close late. The Wizards never trailed after two to nothing in this game and win it one nineteen won fourteen. They are sixteen and fifty six now Washington, the Sixers fall to twenty three and fifty. They will have a home back to back this Saturday and Sunday, after no game tomorrow or Friday. They'll have Miami, who beat Golden State yesterday in the Jimmy Butler as a Warrior in Miami Game one, twelve eighty six. The Heat won that game. They have Andrew Wiggins as part of that trade. He had ten points twenty seven for bam Adebayo, twenty for Tyler Hero. That's Saturday night at seven thirty, and then Toronto comes in to complete the sixers fifteenth and final back to back of the season. On Sunday at seven thirty. They are about to beat Brooklyn. In Brooklyn, they're up one sixteen eighty four with thirty five seconds left. Heat are tenth in the East, Raptors are eleventh, and then the Nets and Sixers. The Nets didn't play Cam Johnson tonight, and we've got big news in the Fanatic knockout contest ninety seven to five. The Fanatic the seventy six Ers flagship radio station here on the Sixers Radio Network, and Connor Thomas was just eliminated, and he's being interviewed by Tyrone Johnson of ninety seven to five and he's talking about his shoes that aren't they don't appear to be basketball shoes. Ray Dunn is still in among other fanatic personalities. I see Ricky Batalico out there. Tom Alvord is the defending champion, our old friend from these Sixers broadcasts, and Tom misses at the line but recovers to stay in there. Before that, I saw Austin Jones in the throwback iverson Jersey. He was knocked out as we were going to break and now he's posing for photos along the sideline here. But Connor Thomas is out, and he was dedicating his efforts to our producer, our executive producer, Tonight Brendan Gunn, because Brendan is back at the station, but Connor can't come through with the victory.
Speaker 1: So the latest.
Speaker 2: Developments from the annual Knockout competition. The Wizard shot fifty point five percent from the field, forty one from three and overcome a forty two percent mark from the outline where these contestants are shooting free throws right now. The Wizards were five of twelve in this game, leading to all the Chick fil A nuggets. Jones himself was OH for four and Thor missed both of his so that's OH for six right. They're contributing most of the misses for Washington against the Sixers team that shot forty three percent, only forty three percent from the floor thirty point four percent from three. There were ninety threes attempted, forty six for the Sixers, forty four for the Wizards, who shot it better, and the Sixers took eight more free throws, making sixteen of twenty, which is eighty percent. The stat of the game, though, is that the Sixers for a long time looked like they were going to maybe challenge the record this season for fewest turnovers in an NBA game, but they added they had two more pop up at the end for five in the game, only five turnovers for the Sixers. That is our stat of the game. It ties their season low for turnovers, which was against Miami, their next opponent here on February fifth. The season single game low in the NBA is three for Oklahoma City, which the Sixers had only three with about five minutes left in regulation. But we're not going to be able to take you all the way through the end of the knockout. Check out the ninety seven to five the fanatics social media handles. There's still a healthy amount of people left in the field, so they'll have you covered with that. We'll have you covered this weekend. But that'll do it for this edition of the seventy six Ers Postgame Show presented by Parks Casino. The final score of the Washington Wizards won nineteen, the Philadelphia seventy six Ers won fourteen. Thanks so much to our engineer Marty Dickerson, Thanks to our producers Brendan Gunn and Mike Morano, and of course Tom McGinnis on the call that Saturday game. The home stand continues a seven thirty pm Eastern start against the Miami Heat. Our coverage here on the Sixers Radio Network presented by Jackpot City Casino, will begin at seven twenty Eastern. Until then, I'm Matt Murphy saying so long from the center. Thanks so much listening, Have a great rest of your week, and take care