Speaker 1: Look out, it's only films to be buried with.
Speaker 2: We're back baby, Hello and welcome to Films to be buried With. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian, an actor, a writer, a director, a recycler, and I love films. As Gertrude Stein once said, one must dare to be happy. I loved Past Lives so much I immediately saw it two more times and it made me even more happy. Gertrude me too. That's a lovely idea. Every week I invite a special guest over. I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through the films. That meant that most of them. Previous guests include Barry Jenkins, Sharon Stone, Jamila Jamil and even Coledical Lamboles. But this week it's the brilliant actor, writer, podcaster, producer, stand up and star. It's the wonderful and Only Tom Davis. Head over to the Patriot at patroon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you get all the extra stuff for the episodes. You get about twenty five minutes extra chat with me and Tom. He tells an amazing secret. We talk about best beginnings and endings. You also get the whole episode uncut and ad free, and does a video. Check it out over at patreon dot com. Forward slash Brett Goldstein, so Tom Davis. Tom Davis is an excellent actor, writer, creator, producer, director, all of it. He does all of it. I've met Tom years and years and years ago when we first started stand up together. He is now about to go on tour with his first big stand up show. He's made King Gary, He's in Wonka, he's in Everything's got an amazing podcast with Promish called Wolf and now he's fucking brilliant.
Speaker 1: He's a lovely, lovely man.
Speaker 2: I was so happy to record this with him on Zoom and I really think you're going to love this one.
Speaker 1: So that is it for now. Welcome back everyone, I very much hope you enjoy episode two hundred and seventy four of Films to be Buried With Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With.
Speaker 2: It is Brett Goldstein and I am joined today by a creator, an actor, a writer, a producer, an improviser, a stand upper, a wolf, a podcaster, a lover, a father, a husband, a hero, a legend, a grafter, a grifter, a great man, a wonder and an angel and also a boy. Please welcome to the show. I can't believe he's here. It's the one, it's the only.
Speaker 1: Here he is.
Speaker 3: It's Tom Davis Leasure. I still find it really cringey when people introduce you to stuff. Do you remember when you start a stand up and you're like you just get introduced at that moment when you first ever got introduced to this sort of stage and you couldn't you didn't know how U how to deal with it? Like the joke's almost easy, but actually how to sort of like walk out on stage and be yourself? I found you even now, like when you do these podcasts or you do like any kind of interview, I was finding really weird that people have to pick you up.
Speaker 1: And I'm just even now, I'm not used to it. I feel sick. I'm used to it.
Speaker 2: Well that's isn't that also just being English? I mean it is like a sort of cliche, but it's true in that in America when you do stand up, they go to what are your credits?
Speaker 1: Before they bring you on there? What are your credits? Oh wow? And you're like what and they sort of have to introduce you is like.
Speaker 2: He's done this, he's done that, You've seen him on Comedy Central and people go wo. But in England you don't say anything. You don't even say it's better if you say this guy is a nobody in his gum, and then the orders to go all right, well listen, but if you go he's amazing, people go boom.
Speaker 1: It's such a weird thing.
Speaker 3: Do you remember, Like there used to be a gig in North London run by my Investment.
Speaker 1: I can't remember.
Speaker 3: It's called Now and I remember him in sushi, probably about my eighth or whatever. Gig introduced me by going the next guy is probably the tallest person who's ever played this place. Actually thinking about it, Good Davis or Steve Merchant and both played here and a bigger than Actually, don't get it. Isn't Good Davis or Steve Merchant. I don't even know how funny this is. Guys get them with Tom Davis, everyone and everyone's head. They're like, oh my god, Steve Merchant, Greg Davis and two of the fucking best guys are doing what we do in the business. And then you come out and it's sort of just anting climax for everyone in the room, and you're like, well, do you know anything, Isaiah is going to be passable? Was fucking half decent now they're not. It's yeah, it's a real tragic no way of being.
Speaker 2: When when when Derek first came out, I had a few times where people would go, he's the star of Derek and so the auders again ricks.
Speaker 1: And then they go break us that which guy is which guy? See? Which is he? Which is he? Ultily? Did you show you that? I don't reckon?
Speaker 2: I do now? Yeah, Tom Davis, I've known you for many many years. We did stand Up together. I think it's the first time we met in Leicester doing that really dreadful gig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I remember that, Oh my god. Yeah, we we came out.
Speaker 2: We were sort of started out around the same sort of time, right, we just I think so yeah, yeah, and I remember open Mite together that wanted less remember being awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, truly awful.
Speaker 2: So to one of those gigs where it's in a bar but no one in the bar has asked for it or what and they've made no concession to stopping the bar being a nightclub. I think there was still music playing it so like, yeah, just go and do yeah, just shout at these people.
Speaker 1: To show your observations. Just shout at these people trying to enjoy their evening.
Speaker 2: It's an insane thing now to see them because I remember that we did we did that I had to job together, and we'd sort of you know, we weren't in any of the same scenes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it's one of those things where you or yeah, you're coming up through the ranks with someone, and I think you were always someone I was always very like. I remember just a positive vibe that I was enjoyed with you, and you were you felt like in the best way when I like not it's the least competitive. You felt like you were always focused on where you were heading, and you never felt like you could I felt like anyone else. That's a weird thing to stand up is when I speak to youngsters and writers and actors, I think you can get consumed by what everyone else around you is doing. And I always felt with you you were someone who always wished people well and you're always happy for other people's success, which I was always That was sort of I think I was took as a real sort of show of your character or a good person.
Speaker 2: Well, that's nice, but I'm just like, it's not a sport. It's not like it's like it's art. It's not a competition. There's no because everyone's doing something different.
Speaker 3: It's shocking how many people, it's shocking how many people in the industry still who think like that and weren't like that. And I think, and there's probably an element of that that maybe needed.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've always it strikes me the people that I sort of like or consider as both on and off stage, the people I admire other people who've always looked at them are or looked at as something there's a team sport and the sense and also using the people around you to inspire you to go to the next stage, or looking at people and go, he's done that. That's amazing, that's reachable. That's so Yeah, I could potentially get off. That could happen, and I think that's that's it. Yeah, Well, you're.
Speaker 1: One of the I'm gonna say something sincere and forgive me, fucking forgive me, Tom, but I'm about to be sincere for a minute and then I will not do this again. Is that you're one of You're now a national treasure, and I'm fucking delighted for that. And one of the reasons, one of the reasons I like it. I like three things from people who who become successful. Either they're they're really really talented, or they're really really lovely, or they work fucking hard. They've worked so hard you can't you can't be resumended and go, well you worked out with this. You are all three of those, and that is thank you, very beautiful thing, bless you, thank you.
Speaker 2: There's never been since games well, thank you for me on the podcast. It was at the end of the podcast, take care good to see from it. Thank you, that's very kind, thank you. But one thing I was thinking is, oh, yeah, because you did like you're fucking worker man, like I forget, like you did so many pilots and so many fucking yeah you did like comedy comedy blabs.
Speaker 1: Did you do a comedy blaps?
Speaker 2: I did a black and I think I did a people whatever they called them, the bab You did the warm up guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know it's that weird thing of like doing enough stuff and it was something to you, like you're you're sort of you do enough stuff that you learn on the job, Right, I left school about the qualifications, I didn't really know how the industry works. So most of my stuff that I learned was through being on other people's sets and how scripts were written and you know, and also a lot of failure, like a lot.
Speaker 1: Of things that didn't work.
Speaker 3: It's weird as soon as successful came out, you're right, this guy's success cats, but like so.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, because people hadn't seen all the other stuff. Yeah, yeah, who's this guy and you're like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the background, just some sort of like little little projects here and there. So it's a weird thing of like that that becoming something that had yeah, launching, But it's it's it's really weird now because as well, we live in such a weird time where no one was prepared to necessarily put those hours. If everyone wants their first sitcom to be them as a lead, and everyone wants to be front and center, and you know, you'd work for a long time with different people, you learned the craft. And I think that's a really important education to have in our industry. I think like and I think that works alongside you know, I remember when I saw superbo of. It was so such a brilliant piece of work, and it was sort of something that you were experimented with. You've gone out and grafted to find yourself, but you clearly work some other stuff long enough to realize what the av season, what made things work. And I think that's really people aren't necessarily really to do that. When I speak to you, like I say, I do work with charity, work for people who come in and try to get into this industry, and everyone wants to go a sitcom, You're like, actually, you know, I've worked with two or three people have had those straight off the bat, and I don't think it's a healthy thing.
Speaker 2: No, No, to one thing I always wanted to ask you about. I'm so fascinated. It's like, from my small experience in the industry, it's sort of always been like that, particularly when you're pitching something or trying to things that work on TV. If you can explain it in a simple line, you know, if you can boil it down to that, that's that's gonna work. And I'm always like so amazed and impressed and sort of wonder how to fuck it happened that murder and successful not only got made that it won awards.
Speaker 1: That it is successful because it's fucking brilliant.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, and it's the most complicated like Soll like, I'm like, it's hard to even describe to someone what it is. And the fact that you pulled that off and it's so great, I'm like, how did you pitch that?
Speaker 1: I just don't understand. It's so complicated. It was one of those things.
Speaker 3: I think it got people's interests because it was so convoluted, and in the end it was me, James and Andy. We got some because it got turned down by everyone until the BBC picked up and the Bob still were like intrigued by it. I think I'd done bits on them are Gone show and I was doing Okay as a stand up, so I think they were interesting enough to go, what projects have you got? And that was the main one, and I sort of thrown everything intact. I wasn't really ever getting offered Leeds. I was always getting off the you know, big do for us in the background, or the sort of smelly best mate or builder.
Speaker 1: So I thought, this is the only thing, and we need a smelly best mate. Is some available.
Speaker 3: At the time, it was me, Nick cal and Joe Wilkinson would often be sitting in the cars the route and more of than Nick Calm will get that part. Abso Nick was min smelly, Joe was smelly, and then I was the real big smell.
Speaker 1: Film actually if he Stinky bears.
Speaker 3: So yeah, BBC gave us some money and we just shot shot some of it and it was a great way of just saying it's just going to work and is it gonna start?
Speaker 1: We did like weird as well. We did a read through for it, which felt insane and you evervised around the table, you know, the.
Speaker 3: Mad thing is we did. We had Mark Wright who did it and then later came on the show. We didn't improvise enough. We were actually it became a scripted through and it was that was when I TV it. TV passed on it at that point, and then I think we shot like two or three scenes in it, and then we shot a pilot.
Speaker 1: And that's a really good thing me and you yourself.
Speaker 3: I think again, like when we shot we shot like a taste and I was like, okay, and that that bit kind of works, and the when we shot the pilot, you're like, oh, actually this works. But that doesn't and it grew sort of squat organically quite slowly. But yeah, it's still like I find it insane. I remember when we have when when I Lett and Mark Forman came to speak to us, and hearing like them chatting on podcasts about it with Adam mckay're like, it's mad, Like these are the people that I grew up when our net Aru is one of my favorite comedy actors. Thank he's incredible actors is in general. For him to take that idea and run with it and do something with it is fucking it's yeah, it's pretty fun, pretty fucking cool.
Speaker 4: Like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The last thing I wanted to about is you're on tour now, right You just started to tour. Is this your first tour?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, tell me everything. How is it? How are you doing? Are you enjoying it?
Speaker 2: Which everywhere all over the UK it's the same because it was like, yeah, I mean it's a weird thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to get deep.
Speaker 3: My daughter was born and deep and then so at school I was dyslexic ADHD, which if I knows down but and I couldn't read in mics. I was quite old and my godmother was a teacher, and she sort of used to take extra classes and sort of pushed me into, I guess being a bit more deep thinking educated than I probably I would have been. And I think she was quite a sort of strong role model within my life. And she passed away just sort of in the back of when my daughter was born, after about six months, and it was a weird thing. Yeah but no, but it's life, right, And it was a weird thing of my door being born and her passing away, and I kind of was like, this is it sounded I sort of it would seem like a weird thing. Never ever, like I put off, I genuinely stand up became really quite toxic for my mental health. I found it really hard in the basis that I always wanted it to be perfect, and I was like, we'll go out and sometimes I die and sometimes yeah, that's just an extra piece. But I got into a really anxious place where I felt there's so much resting on every game. I could be doing a gig so for James Gill, who's to have best friends and someone I dore, and I'd be like doing a gig for him in front of a really nice crowd and think if this goes bad, I might never work again. It's an insane school of thought I got into so sort of then just was like, I can't do it anymore. And then when that happened, I was a bit like, you know what, actually it's not that big. It's like everything else that was going on in my life. I felt actually just going out and James again was flowing. Romesh were amazing to sort of give it that confidence. And for quite a while I was just literally going out for James doing all this big comedy. I was literally just going and he was That was the only gig. I always kept doing it because I found James someone who always you know, I mean when I first started out, it was a very strange thing to sort of come out, you know. I was sort of coming up to thirty. I was a scaffolder. I was sort of turning up at places. It wasn't necessarily GEI as a person that was around I sort of I think that's one of the things I loved about you. I was I think some people judged were quite easy to sort of label you, and I.
Speaker 1: Think I was never really that guy.
Speaker 2: James Gil for example, was someone who always felt they gave me gigs and it was always very you know, always honored me to do more from there. I just felt that support really to sort of go out and try it. And it's been the best thing I've ever done it. I'm loving it to be out and you know, you're doing yourself to be out on stage. And yeah, me and you have been very fortunate to written stuff and you know people watch it through the turbin that's amazing. But to actually be out there and here people laughing and have that body with an audience is pretty incredible. It's magic and it's fucking music at the end of the day, is actually fucking music.
Speaker 3: Its mate, It's like a one you have. It's just easier that I don't want to give you your show.
Speaker 1: That's why people leave very quickly. They leave very believe he's got that. That's such a not even joked about for the whole show and then.
Speaker 2: Just even sort of mentioned it, just did it and yeah, I mean some people enjoyed it, but other people thought there should have been some sort of wouldn't rush to see him again or I'd leave at the war. We didn't recommend not for everyone, not for everyone, but there will be a niche crowd for that is your show stories? Is it all sorts of stuff? Is there one big theme? Is it a thing? Or is it just Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it's just stuff that I cobbled together that I found funny.
Speaker 1: What was lovely was the is that work in progress time? Right? Is the going up there?
Speaker 3: And you've thrown ship at the wall and sometimes dicks and some self doesn't and weirdly stuff that I've always like, this won't work. But there's stuff that I'd spent weeks on trying to make work and never would.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and it's just yeah, it's Yeah. I think it's very indicative of Hill. I think it's it feels like, yeah, this feels as the first tour of it sort of.
Speaker 1: I feel very happy with it.
Speaker 3: It feels like it gets different parts of my character self deprecating and silly and yeah, it's not taking it too seriously.
Speaker 1: Tom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fuck, I've forgotten to tell you something. Nah, oh god, it's so bad. You really, I really feel like you're you're sort of like riding away, you know what I mean, Like it's going good.
Speaker 1: I feel sick telling you this. I forgot to tell you.
Speaker 2: I don't want to. I would hate to sort of be sort of a negative. And maybe it isn't. Maybe it isn't, depends on any point of view. But I should have said it earlier before we sort of got into all this.
Speaker 1: Oh Tom, you've died. You're dead, so you're you're like my Clarence, that's my guardian angel.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'm your Clarence. Yeah yeah, yeah, except there's no coming back, so this isn't even like okay, so that was just all a big ruse, like it's a wonderful life. But yeah, I have a look. You have a look, but you ain't going back the.
Speaker 3: First thing I'm doing up there, So I'm going to go and see find that liar James.
Speaker 1: Sure, give my how did you die? It was shot? Which was yeah, what happened?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Just yeah, a sort of case of missing this identification. So someone thought it was a gang banger, but I actually wasn't. Yeah, I was just walking down the street. So that's that big guy who beat you up, and step David still beat him up weeks before that. That's not Actually he was every setlance tea merchant.
Speaker 1: That was the guy.
Speaker 4: Actually, think about it, I thinking Gary, why America shot dead, one shot, three, three shots.
Speaker 3: First of all, got my leg tried to a bit like you know, like like Ricky in a boyson Hood when he's trying damn first work gets his legs and he gets in the back twice.
Speaker 1: So morbid. I actually felt like I was talking about something we both like Rick from Yeah, Rick It's tragic, still.
Speaker 3: Want to like when I've watched that, I find that that moment when he's walking down and he's sort of Cuba's just going to the shop, and just that I think it's one of my favorite. Yeah, it's just a good, good mentioning dispatches, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeahs. Do you worry about death? Yeah, yeah, yeah, oh yeah. I think having children. I think I think you're having children makes you really consider it more. I think in the sense that because you're like, get me out of here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Actually as soon as you I don't want to see me, as soon as you sort of cold start remembering me, rather that. Yeah, I was just a character that they could showt television show little clips of Patton too, and it.
Speaker 1: Was a good man. He was with a bear. He's lovely. Look at him.
Speaker 3: A big statue of me in the cemetery that big Yeah, No, it makes you think about it. I think you've become more And I'm naturally a hypochondriac, and being shot would be an easier way to get out of things. And I love battles. Horrible disease, you know, because that was you know, I know it sounds really bad. I'd find that really hard if like me and you were doing always Big company, I was really frail and you had to sort of help.
Speaker 2: God, do you know what, why don't we make this pact? If it ever gets there, I'll sugar in the leg and twice in the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is such a good killing, just going to the police. Yeah, I did it. He was frail and I him out the stairs as it was.
Speaker 3: And you know what, ten years listen to the podcast we did together. It's like and I was a mission that Yeah, he says on that Oh fair enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, ten years ago, that's what you're giving it. Listened the podcast he got suddenly very fail. It was genuinely fucking tragedy. But stick man, But what do you think happens when you die?
Speaker 1: You know what this is?
Speaker 3: I always think, I know I'm not a big believe in God and the afterlife in a sense. But then also I think of it a bit like you know, when you're but when you're looking forward to holiday all year round, right, it's ship to think of a ship holiday. That's you actually sort of we're going to we're not going away, And she was staying two weeks off and just stay in the house and just look about the house. I think it's much better if you've got something to look forward to it, like fucking I would go into my bayer, and I think that's what the afterlife should be. If it doesn't exist, then you've lost nothing. No one's going to think you're a preck because they don't know either. But the idea of actually going essentially death is Las Vegas, I think, is a better.
Speaker 1: Thing to be looking forward to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're saying, if there is an afterlife, it's like going to my bayer. And if there isn't, is that lurking around your house.
Speaker 1: For two weeks? Ye?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well else, essentially what you're doing, it's looking around our hold on the ground, didn't you Yeah, unless you're a ghost.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think being a ghost is almost the worst one. I think so too, that's interesting. Go on, I just don't think that.
Speaker 3: I think you know, when people talk about ghosts and they're going, oh, you know, it's a cold, miserable sort of ghosts, I'm like, of course miserable. I've got no interaction apart from other pricks have died. Essentially, that is like, you know what, being dead and being a ghost, right, So in Den and going to heaven is like going to my bayer, right, being den just leave lying in the ground and it's like that's basically just fucking going away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, being dead and being.
Speaker 3: A ghost is like remember on New Year's Eve and you wanted to go into like the sky Lounge in Leicester Square or something, but you couldn't get in because you were in a group of fucking four other mature, sad losers like you were, so it was like no blokes on their own. So you just had to look around Lester Square just fucking like looking for a bar that might take you in. That's fucking being a ghost for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: Just cueuing outside the bar one in the morning day, not that where you're going to go until you find a clip joint that takes all your money.
Speaker 3: It's that's been a fucking ghost. It's constantly just looking at the party and never being able to dance.
Speaker 2: Christ's God, you really need to take care of all your business before I shoot you in the legging twice in the back, because I want that for you. I want you going to Yeah, just setting it up. Well, Bret cost is coming up here the gates. You a right good laugh up here, mate. They got lady curse, They've got everything. Even because see us both out, He's still okay. Well, good news. There is a heaven and it's just like my bayer in all the good ways. And let's face it, there are any bad ones, but it's field with your favorite things.
Speaker 3: What's your favorite thing? My favorite thing in the world. My daughter would probably be my favorite thing, but I'd say that, yeah, I had to have a bit more than innings and me, so I'd probably go with food.
Speaker 1: Put my favorite thing.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, there's food fucking everywhere. Everywhere, Yes, is ladles of food. It's like a sort of you know, a food court in a mull, but like that would be my heaven.
Speaker 1: It's fucking everywhere.
Speaker 2: The seeds are like giant tacos, Like everything is made of food.
Speaker 3: Taking you around heaven on your first and they've got everything. And they've got a Wendy's. I've got a CAFC. They've got Donald's. Mate, got Toby Carvery, I've got everything in mate. No, it's three nandos mate. Honestly, look at that plate. See I beg that plate is you can put anything you want to that. That's one of the small places. Mate.
Speaker 1: And I've caught up with you. Is this this is all you've been doing.
Speaker 2: You're like, I've not even been out of this, but I know there's other stuff going on the This.
Speaker 1: Is just all right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, there's food everywhere. There's also some people there, some black walking, hot dogs, all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 1: So it's like that Seth Rogan movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, sausage Yeah yeah, sausage by everyone's well excited to see you. They won't talk to you about your life, but they won't talk to you about your life through film. The first thing they ask you is, what's the first film you remember seeing? Tom Davis? You know the first film Missus Sausage person that I remember seeing The Swish there's a Swiss family Wamtson movie right, yes, which was made in about I think he's about ninety sixty. It's one of those old sixties movies, isn't it. Yeah, it's like a kind of it's quite old.
Speaker 3: It's like a b I remember basically near to our house grown up, there was a video shop called Joyce's Video Shot. It was like sort of almost free Blockbuster, and she had about ten videos in so there was that one called The Cross of the Switchblade, which is about a guy called Nicki Cruz who is like a street thug, even based and I just remember there's a bit in it and God Loves You Nicky Krus but my mum said was.
Speaker 1: Too violent to watch.
Speaker 3: I used to take Swiss family Orntson and it was quite a sort of they all got shipwrecked ended up on this little island and as a family and it's sort of but then they had this big fight with some pirates at the end. And I've been cleaning for years that sort of. Yeah, it's actually really from what I remember, you know, from if I go back and sort of almost get back into my seven.
Speaker 1: Year old head and where it's ten year old head, I don't know. That's the first film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's weird in it because you get flashies of like guns and avarona or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Have you got siblings, I've got sister. Yeah. Did you watch this together? Is she or younger? Yeah?
Speaker 3: We watch it as a family on a Saturday night. We'd usually sort of sit down and have a bit of tea. And it was, like I said, she didn't have many films, did old Joyce? She it was one of those shops that sold wall and videos. She had like ten videos, right, you go in and go. My dad would go, oh, what's just one? Like if you go, I haven't seen that one. Ten fucking films. Yeah right, you've got ten things to watch give a review?
Speaker 1: Had the same ten films up until I was about busy. I'm busy making I've got time for all these. I'm busy shaving his sheep. I've got to watch films see if are going to save themselves? Mate? Right, do you want wool or a video? What you're in for? Both Joys watched A Cross and the switch Blade.
Speaker 3: It's also it's that throwback of I used to love that sort of still do. If I'm sitting on a Sunday, sort of old school sort of films that look everything's really bright.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's no sort of blood in it, and it just feels very wholesome.
Speaker 1: And they all made in the studio clearly, yeah fake.
Speaker 2: I do remember. It was incredible water slide. There was a bit like the one in the Goonies in it. Yeah that they they remember the print of Thieves. Yeah, it turns that wood into this amazing base. They sort of did a shittier version on this island there, which yeah, I sort of thought I'd like to go there on holiday, that we should go to the sort of water palace in Pearling and pretend it was family Robinson.
Speaker 1: What was that called fantasies. I think it got turned into a nightclub. It was cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the one that everyone used to go to and say that there was raising blaze. Yeah, don't go down there, don't go down the big time make it's raised blazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Weird thought when you think about it. The weird that they were open with all these razorables, same thing that you but yeah you got your razor blades.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go down if you could stop yourself and push it in.
Speaker 2: And also that if it was true that there would just be hundreds of children just sliced enough, bleeding in the pools were being read to just be half kids everywhere.
Speaker 1: You'd have noticed, you know what I mean. But it's really scary. I remember being.
Speaker 3: Scared of awful thing just leaving like a water palace, just like taped to rivers.
Speaker 2: Yeah see the next way, Yeah, I think so little easier next week. Sorry, I don't want to complain. Far be it for me to complain, but I think because someone say about taking them razor blades there in all the all the slides out, No, no my business. I see you next week.
Speaker 3: I just having one of the slides as razor blazes and sort of letting everyone know which one it is, because really I don't want to ruin everyone else's fun, just in case our people are into that.
Speaker 2: You doing it in the black hole the dark ones, so when you come out, I don't know what's happening. Then you come out and everyone's.
Speaker 3: I've been trying to show off to a girl by going down there and absolutely shot myself.
Speaker 2: Terrif coming out of the bottom, it was good.
Speaker 1: Where are your trunks?
Speaker 3: The pegger boys toot them off, so that went faster if I went naked, they were.
Speaker 2: Right as well, well, what is a film that scared you the most? Do you like being scared?
Speaker 1: This is I can't watch her films. I get terrified.
Speaker 3: This is a weird one actually, because yeah, so I remember going to a girl's food podcasting, learned not to say people's names because you'll be careful to a.
Speaker 1: Girl and a mission crusher. When I was about thirteen a twelve thirty, I went to her house to watch them films. So we watched The Exorcist and I remember sort of sitting there and she was really into it.
Speaker 2: She'd sort of stolen it from my mom and dad and we sort of sat in the bedroom watching it. I was so I watched the whole thing with my eyes closed. She took burnerful the lights and she was like.
Speaker 1: Oh good.
Speaker 3: So I was like, oh, it's so scary, sitting with my eyes closed, just thinking, oh god, this is okay. And you know what, weirdly, that film's scarier if you just listen to it, if you watch yeah, yeah, I can't believe that. Yeah, it's quite scary listen. So I was never even watched it myself all the way through.
Speaker 1: It wasn't the.
Speaker 3: Sane thing as well as actually just this is like years later at Blackpool, Right, they've got this weird haunted house. I don't know if you've ever been to it, and it's full of like people doing like Freddy krue there's a Freddy Krueger, right, yeah, yeah, So you walked through this diff is like an immersive.
Speaker 1: Experience and people just actors jump out of you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And there was like a I remember that in there there was a girl like the girl from the Exosus sitting in the ben. You go in and she's sitting there and then she just leaps up and it's like crazy. But there was a guy who jumps out of here like Freddy Krueger. And I remember we were going around. It was sort of like me and my miss is, and there was this sort of like bloke, quite a sort of big northern feather with his two young dartists. And as we're walking around, he's sort of they terrify these two. There's too young to go into this. He shouldn't have brought them.
Speaker 1: It was his bad. And he's like all right, and no, I'll be out of here in a minute.
Speaker 3: And as we came into his room, this guy leapt out behind him just as Freddy Krueger went he and fucking whacked him in defense of his daughters. And then the guy playing Freddy Krueger went, oh for fuck fake two years at rather for this, we realized the whole thing is just for everyone. But he was a trained actor, and you think, oh, bless, that was his moment to scare everyone and this nor them, this normal.
Speaker 1: So I'm fucking sorry that I shouldn't have brought the.
Speaker 3: Bloody punch people in the face. It was a beautiful moment. Yeah, when the worlds collid.
Speaker 1: Oh god, so tragic breaking, you know, May Martin, we went to Universal Haunted Halloween. Halloween, that's a big one.
Speaker 2: It's fucking great and they have like haunted mazes where it's like that where you walk through and things jump out of you, people jump out of you, and there is.
Speaker 1: Me and May. We were a group of people when they went.
Speaker 2: You go in front and so we're walking through this mace is really loud and then things pop out of the wall and jump out of you, and there's one bit of me and Mavis were walking through a corridor and a thing jumped out the side of the wall. Arah and I like May was a bomb. I picked may up and threw them into a wall.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 2: Like, I would protect them by throwing them into the world. I've got you, I've got it mastered into the world. Love coming for your head, go down a slide. Anyway, that's interesting. What about crying. What's the film that made you cry the most? Are you a crier?
Speaker 1: I am? Yeah. Recently. The one that really got to me was A Star is Born. Oh yeah, it's a great film.
Speaker 3: I loved it. It's a really great film. I went with my wife, so my wife had done we did. We love we love films, so it's told be part of our relationship like films. And you know, we're trying now with Graces here, we're tried to once a week watch a movie together, like with Its New Weather and so she been though even the Stars Barn was a bit like Barbie. There was groups of big groups women going. It was like she wouldn't mate to the sort of like Hindu vibe, which she'll pty ruined it for everyone else.
Speaker 2: Anyway, he's pissing himself, Tom, does that.
Speaker 1: Relatable?
Speaker 3: I was worrying about me that I am Bradley Cooper's character. But then we so anyway, we went to watch it anyway, she just before the bit, the bit when Brady Cooper sort of I mean, we'll have spoilers on it.
Speaker 1: We can say spoiler skip ahead thirty seconds if you don't want with Bradley Cooper sort of suicide.
Speaker 3: She got up and she she got out because she knew it was quite a sad thing coming. So she left me standing there standing. I want standing sitting there standing, understanding. Mate, fuck off, I'm enjoying this football. Can we all be upstanding? This is very good. We're attacking at the moment. We should all stand. I should stand, and cinemas stand up. If you like stories born stand.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm like sitting there and next to me is another guy and then his wife is next to him. So this guy is sitting next to me, and when Brandley that thing happens with Bradley Cooper, I just went and I had tears. I was like, really hit me and the guy next to me, I looked around and he was equally as sad, and then he just I've never met this man before, and he just genterally put his hand on my arm and just went and I was like, I don't know I'd never It was a really beautiful moment between the tervis and then Katherine came back like same guy.
Speaker 1: I was like, number one, why did you leave? Just as you know.
Speaker 2: Brady Duper is going to fucking nice was sad and you know, I want to get you. Oh, the rest of the film's gonna be a fucking walking of the end of the wisdom was now is it? I can deal with the ramification to what's happened, not fucking lady going. I was in bits now You're like you left me, You left me, and I've moved on. I've moved on to a sensitive man look after me. But I saw his wife looking like quite just But yeah, I found it and it stayed with me for like a week or so after. I think it was like, you know, I thought it was actually brilliantly done that actually I thought within the film it was a really amazing It's a very important subject matter, obviously, the one that we're all talking about a lot more now, but I found it very It's one of those moments and I think that's you know, you know when something you see something quite amazing, when it stays with you, you think about it in your quiet moments you're like and you know, yeah, I think sometimes when you know mental health worse and you can get to a low place, it's actually quite an important piece of work where you actually realized actually the ramifications of an actor. And I'm friends have sadly done that and you yeah, so I think you find that thing. I've just been like, okay, you know it's yeah, and I feel actually, yeah, that was one that really got me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love you new your new husband. How did you both mean?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't remember the Star is Born with Bradie Cooper kills himself.
Speaker 1: We were both we were just friend.
Speaker 2: What is the film that is not critically acclaimed? Most people don't like it, but you love it unconditionally. I think everyone else do.
Speaker 1: You mean like it?
Speaker 3: Because so I love I have a real part for ship films. So one of my SAMUELI copp and it's have you ever seen it? I just love the title. Tell me everything. It's probably one of the work like it's Me and my wife have watched it hundreds of time.
Speaker 1: It's really it's like you only get on DVD and.
Speaker 3: It's just it's been made by you know, like we have these guys now over in this country make these films and sort of like you know, yeah, imoted a film a minute, I'm fucking directing it and I'm fucking protuion. I've put all the money up. Sort of one of those and it's kind of trying to be I guess that there is an element of sort of lethal weapon and an element of I want to send you a copy because I do, Jenny think you'll enjoy element of Rambow. You know that's sort of eighties by but it's really bad. Like they've there's bits in it they've shot like the same scene a scene, and they've show it for five or six different days, so people's singles are in different Like it's like genius as a comedian scene watching it, because you're like, you know, like they're clearly in a Chinese restaurant and they're.
Speaker 1: In a sort of downtown CAFs somewhere.
Speaker 3: In LA and it's just and the guy's hair changes around the movie.
Speaker 1: He's had his hair shaped of where it's weird wig and.
Speaker 3: The fight scene there's one bit where they're in a helicopter and it's like you can't jump from here, and you can clearly see that there on the ground. It's just yeah, it's brilliantly awful, but it's and yeah, I'll just find stuff like I find I gen you find that stuff like that just I love watching stuff that's just a bit ship the rumor of like for example or whatever, but stuff that's just because there's a part of me that thinks. You know, when we started out and you would go and you do a gig, there was a guy I don't know, like I said, you bleep out, but I don't know if you remember.
Speaker 2: I forgot about I think first cut isn't it, but bleep. He'd been like an open mic guy going bad ten years before me and you even started. And I remember thinking chatting to him, and I remember I probably had my first paid spot somewhere. I remember like, I've got paid spot this weekend and him being like, oh, yeah, I've never been paid for a gig. And I was like, you been going for like, you know, first fourteen years like and he was like, I just enjoy it. I just think it's kind of coolout and that's what I get from it. And I was like, fuck, actually, maybe maybe he's got it right, like he doesn't give a fuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, You're so right. He was no mission.
Speaker 2: He just enjoyed it and he was going out doing open mics and there was no like you know, me and you became a career and probably you know we're similar time and we're like, funk this is with him, I'm like, oh, ship man. And when I watch films like that, I'm like, it feels a bit like actually, you know kind of guys that sort of get down the gym or whatever, or they're making something that actually they were actually really enjoying the process.
Speaker 1: There's a felt that Yeah, there's a British sort of.
Speaker 3: Version call Gap with Gangsters, which is again it's just like a group of people have made a film tells didn't have.
Speaker 1: The day, What the fuck? What is this?
Speaker 2: But it was like a yeah, I love those I think there's no Yeah, there's no endgame.
Speaker 1: They're not. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Me and you were writing yeah, we're very fortunately what we do. You're writing it hopefully do make something that people who enjoy sitting and watch the idea of just sitting there and making something that no one's ever going to see or no one's only going to watch apart from you and the people in it. I think kind of sort of uplifting. I think it's just like it's a bit of a hobby. I saw a film. I don't know if I've talked about this on the podcast, but I was once. I won't say I'll try and leave out details, right, but I once, and I would never do it against. I didn't enjoy it till I was asked to be like on a for like an awards thing for film, and it was like picking the nominees for a certain kind of film. And I watched so many films and they were all really boring, very serious, very depressing, kind of dull, hard work films that like, you know, feel like vegetables.
Speaker 1: Were like, I'm sure this is good for you, but fuck me, it's boring.
Speaker 2: And within the mix of these films was this terrible, as in kind of objectively terrible film that a guy had made on his own that was kind of like a sci fi thriller but like badly shot, badly acted. There's like clearly a scene where he's hired a sex worker to strip on the film, and there's like all sorts of it's like mad, but it was so entertaining, and so I was watching it and I was like this hour and a half has flown by regardless compared to all these films that I've watched that have been so boring and hard work, this film that, yes, kind of technically is technically quite bad. I was like, maybe this is amazing because I'm not even like laughing at I'm not like going you fucking it. I'm like, I'm really entertained, Like this is great, this is fun. This is like something's happening here that is really entertaining. And I'm like, which film film? It's like, escape is, isn't it. It's just like, I'll fuck it.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to think about why the problems and like, yeah, so Sam cop Is I think it's just perfectly awful. It's really worth if you can't get a copy of it. I've got two copies of it, just the case one forwards.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I got a great answer. All right.
Speaker 2: Well, on the other hand, what's the film that you used to love You loved it so much and watched it recently and it does not hold up?
Speaker 1: Incredible Journey?
Speaker 2: Oh no, the original or the new one with the manager? Really look, so that was a film you know, like you'd have a sick day from school. You'd stay off, you'd have a bit of a tummy at your mom would do a best of look after you between Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is kind I just check. This is the third film from Joyce's ten.
Speaker 2: Twitch Blade Twiss Blades Across Across Swiss family said, The Incredible Journey if you had a day off, Yeah, you had a dicky tarmin h.
Speaker 3: Yeah you're a bit sick your mama. I can't get the incredible and the Incredible Journey is the thing you'd see and I have these memories of it being like, it's an amazing film that's sort of uplifting and incredible. It's about friendship, it's you. And then I sort of sat because Grace's loves dogs. I thought, you know, well a little blast from the plastic this on. I got off and through it. She was interested. She walked off and I was like, this is awful. I don't know, I don't know. It just is not as it's number one. It's a really boring journey. When you sit back and go.
Speaker 1: Back and watch the boring journey, The boring journey, just get a cap.
Speaker 3: The guy's voice commentating and commentating and gone, the cat trying to get.
Speaker 1: Good luck to remember.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, but the cat, you know, and do you know what when I sit and watch it, I've never seen it. It's about a dog, two dogs, and a cat trying to cross America. There's the really, there's a thirsty, eager dogs a cat. When you watch it that it's actually really The lead dog clearly is very happy he's got a part of the film. The cat can't be fucking lost. He can see that the owners are for it more than he is. And the old one can't be bothered. It's like, you know, like when you watched the last days of a great performers career, like an old footler. He's just, you know, he's just phoning it in. That's what the dog feels like. I'd like to actually look at the dog's MDB and see if he's been in anything else, like of set just turning around and going well.
Speaker 1: Obviously trumps as a part.
Speaker 2: The Incredible Journey was a nightmare. Catering was awful.
Speaker 3: One of those silver jackets off for most of the shoe.
Speaker 1: So why is it?
Speaker 2: It's boring? That's the problem. And also I think I remembered it with such gusto. I remembered it in such an affectionate way, and it was really until gracious ball.
Speaker 1: I was like, and I.
Speaker 3: Think, you know, I sat down to watch it just thinking this will be a moment with father and daughter. You know, this is one of my happiest memories of it. Whish I'd stuck on across to the switch Blade, which was she might have taken her own away from it is bad.
Speaker 1: Arguably God is good.
Speaker 2: But but instead yeah, we sat like, I say, it's yeah, I think she Yeah, it won't be so much. She won't be her poorly tummy film. So well, what is the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily is the film itself is good, but the experience you had around seeing the film will always make it.
Speaker 1: Special to you. Tom Davis, what is it? Well? I think Breakhours it would be great. The is it bad? Grandpa? The film? With the Jackass film, We're like, oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Johnny Knoxville, me and Katherine went to watch that really early on in our relationship, and.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen it? It's actually I don't know. I've seen some of it Amazon. We used to remember it.
Speaker 3: We prety watched it three times, but it's one of those things wherever it will pop up on Amazon Prime or whatever on Netflix, we're really really chuckle because it was one of the first films that we went to as a couple to the cinema and really bonded over the just the I think we shared the same it's few. It's one of those things as well, I think as a big fan of film and might I say it's one of the things that since stopping like not really drinking now, it's like, yeah, you're what you're going to do socially sort of and film to the cinema is a big part of our social lives and what we do is a couple. But I remember going to see that and actually the first that was that felt one of the first things that we saw that actually we both laughed thoads at and we both felt like it was you know, okay, Jack, and we went back and watched all the films and yeah, it just it's a really I think it's really really well done. I think Johnny Not was amazing. I think The Little Boy it's incredible, and it's sort of I think a really underrated thing within our industry of the actual the ability and other people tried, but to sort of write sort of narrative arc through a film and actually have sort of empathy towards a character that you're shooting in front of real people, like as someone that we murdered, successful and stuff that. Like for a long time, I was like really tried, like for a murdered successful first start, and we would started talking about what would be a film that we'd want to make. I was always like that that there. I felt like, fucking hell, that must have been so like knowing how it worked with murder and that emprovisational nature. Watching that I was with that kid who is incredible, the shock moments and it all. I think I probably in a way enjoyed it more than something, maybe even more at I think just because I felt the actual feeling that you got through it. It felt like, actually it was touchable and actually the story and I was having to spent time with his grandson and his daughter.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think it was a really nice movie and just brilliant the set pieces that does. Again, like you know, I'm a comedy guy. I love comedy. It's my adore it. And when I sit and watch something that can make a fucking pack cinema pissed their pants laughing, and it can be as pure as you know, shipping yourself a big fart that just turns into a guy shipping himself up a wall. I think it's a really special thing, and I think that's Yeah, it's something that I remember.
Speaker 1: Really really affectionately.
Speaker 3: Like there's other films that stars Ball or whatever else come along over the last ten years that we we sit and you know, I watched over and over again, but that one I always think that was that sort of cemented that sort of sense of human that we still find funny in between them.
Speaker 1: What is the film you most relate to. There's a couple I think.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen Fist Footway with Danny McBride Jody Hill, Yeah, his first thing. Yeah, that when it came out weirdly as the lead character, Danny McBride is someone I look at as being that's my Shakespeare in a lot of senses, that's the guy that I look at when when Danny McBride, when I first saw that movie, I was like, it's a really weird thing that I saw that just as I was making things like warm Up Guy, and I was first right and I was first coming out of stand up to write sort of you know, and that was like, wow, fuck, like this this guy's doing the stuff that feels like the characters that I find really really funny the world and he's never and it's funny. Was always first with him, and you know, going down to East Band and down the Vice Principles as the work of absolutely genius rich As Gems, I think. But that film when I first saw it and I then heard the story behind it, and you know, that's like your relationship when you made Super Bowl, but mind of James's relations James to Fund's relationship, I was always like, fuck, that felt like really like the way that you guys have put this together as a director and a style and two writers felt like attainable for where I'm at in this industry and what I want to do it, but also making a character that was arguably quite unlikable, very very lovable. You're like this guys, and I just think he in how he makes stuff and how they make stuff really like they have such great identity with the working classes, whether that's in America or England. It just feels like I just get that nuance just perfect. So that that film and I saw it, I was like, look there, I love comedy movies. That's the film where I watched it. I was like, both as a creator, but also something about the guy in the middle of it, you know, he's the main character in it. I was like, there's a lot of stuff that I can identify with as a character a sort of by struggling in his relationship at the time or struggling to be taken seriously.
Speaker 2: Did you say he's unlikable but very lovable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's such a brilliant way of putting it. Yeah, because it's the same as Kenny Powers. You sort of watch it and there's a lot of stuff that's not and it feels fucking you know, very is now and it's someone has just lost and I think that's a really interesting thing to be able to convey. And I think that's the thing that I want to watch.
Speaker 1: That's something.
Speaker 2: Would you say there's a bit of that in King Garry, Isn't there like like, yeah, incredibly love is incredibly lovable.
Speaker 1: It's also a dick, but you but you really really really love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and all the people that I love that and you know, probably like you mean, you know, a lot of the stuff that was the stuff that I really took inspiration from as a stand up and as a writer and program maker.
Speaker 1: Was all was American.
Speaker 2: It was all the stuff that you know that he seemed to be able to do that, and their characters seem to be so much so better around it. But actually too because we have a real problem within society if people, you know, in some points, in some cases, yeah, people are just ship but actually in a lot of when when you write normal characters and normal people.
Speaker 3: They're so conflicted by what is good and what it's bad. We all are in twenty twenty three. We're all trying to be as better as a person we can, but there's so much fucking noise going on. You're like, what do I follow? What do I You know, it was far simpler as it's out, as it says, ten to fifteen years ago, where actually you'd sort of almost be surrounded by people and you can cast your opinions.
Speaker 1: There's so many, so much noise.
Speaker 3: Now, and I think that actually making characters that feel off now, and that's just people trying to be the best they can. But quite a lot of time failing in that. I think that's really I think Dannie McBride and joy that anyway, And to be fair, man, your fucking life does man, you get that so well. You you've always got that. That's what I loved. You know, super Bop did that so well.
Speaker 1: But you do you do it so well?
Speaker 3: Man, It's it's a real difficult it's a difficult thing to do. Yeah, so that that would be the thing that I related see the most respect excellent, excellent answer. Here's the question that everyone is here for. What's the sexist film scene? Some David, I think it's a classic and everyone's probably but basic instinct would probably do that.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, is.
Speaker 2: That the one? Is that the one that everyone no? But it is the way everyone should say. I'm sure basic instinct was you know Seminal the like pirate copies of it leaking about the store, and a boy called had the best campaign and he was like, yeah, not but the time I got it was very all now, but you know that feeling of like it was like a fucking Charlie bucket with the last golden ticket. I remember the day that Yeah, someone slips over to him's basically stick turn out with you and like literally being like okay, and.
Speaker 3: It'd be like someone gave me and you throw fin and finished score three. I'll get the bus, hopefully I'll get home by four. My sister's going to someone's house to play. My mom doesn't get onto a fire. Well that it's a lottery. It depends what Yeah, what job he's on at the moment, Joe and put you have one VHS recording in the fucking front room, and it's a real life I need to get home and then yeah, far forwarding through it, just get on the.
Speaker 1: Scene, not whenever missed anything.
Speaker 3: I'm just hoping that someone give your codd it was yeah, yeah, it was sort.
Speaker 2: Of feld yeah yeah, plot plot plot, Yeah, okay, I get it.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 3: She's not very nice, but actually, really the brunette moments even worse. She seems like, yeah, even though it's terrible, fucking like, yeah, twenty five, thirty years later, whatever, I still can't fucking tell you what happens in that movie.
Speaker 2: I don't think i've ever Yeah, it's about wooing and she's got a shot. Maybe I think she works at Macy's.
Speaker 1: She's got a shop and she sits down in a shop.
Speaker 2: Sometimes she's got a fellow from Wall Street in I think he's doing so far. I think, yeah, he's doing some Wall Street stuff. She's also she's quite a shop I think. I think she's engaged to Newman from Sinfield. Yeah, he seems pleased to see her a lot.
Speaker 1: He sweats quite a lot. What do you did in Sidefield? Actually, but.
Speaker 2: It's more it's more sweaty, like it's more sort of Jurassic part of the Seinfeld guy. He's more that he's doing that bit anyway. Yeah, I think it's good. It's a great sweater. Actually, that's where I seem to be. Actually Weirdly, I'll go back and that's the person I relate to mo Show in any film, Sweaty Newman, the sub category traveling Boner's worrying white ones the filmy found aroused and you weren't sure you should.
Speaker 3: You know, the really weird one for minutes. Like I remember sitting around at the aunt and of course and this was playing. It's chit Chitty Bang Bank, right, you know, the horrible King and he's sort of missus, you know, like they did a song of like You're My toll Lollipop oh my teddy bear and he sort of chases her around. I used to find I remember that probably being the first time I had to sort of like slowly grub a pillow over.
Speaker 1: That was the.
Speaker 2: Good I like you five years before Bess on the bus home from school with Chit Chitty Bang Bank.
Speaker 1: I got get in there. Everyone's gonna having five. You're my little lollipop. Let's go twitching in the Choyce. Yeah, that the lollipop song, the Teddy bed Lollipops on twenty.
Speaker 2: Worn Joyce, I'm gonna need some wo bang bang go. What's the world for? Don't ask Joyce? Don't you just shut up?
Speaker 1: Joyce?
Speaker 3: Come up against it, you mate. They're going to be finished, they'll be ome from work at five. That would be the that's the.
Speaker 2: One that yeah, I think, yeah, yeah, yeah it feel's got seen you in the way. No, I love it. That's brilliant. Well, Tom Davis, what is objectively, objectively the greatest film ever made?
Speaker 1: Do you know what? I think? It's The Apartment with Jackman.
Speaker 2: Oh. Excellent, excellent answer. I feel I think that film started everything that me and you do now. I think that was the first sort of like wrong comedy sort of character back, and I think it's got such a great It's just I rewatched it recently and it was that weird thing. And when I was starting to write scripts, my mum went out and she went, I've got your present, and she been to Oxfam and she's got like a Billy Wilder script book and it had like that and a fortune cookie written at scripts.
Speaker 3: So I'd sit and watch the films and got off the script. So I think it was like for a lot of reasons, it became like this really yeah, like strong, and I just think it's just yeah, when you look at it and you can sort of see in its DNA everything that you know, John Apatow and the people that I think are incredible, just genuinely that sort of screwball, wrong com It just has all of that, and like I say, the center part of it, that sort of relationship between you know, Sherm Payne, and I think it's frequent that it's the Boss and this guy just sort of air and some of the comedy set pieces. You have a neighbor thinking constantly like he's having this party style life start. He's literally walking there. Yeah, I mean he gets it's just brilliant man, and that there's a real time there that sort of we you know, Joyce's video shot had that sort of that sort of film and like that and things like bringing up Baby and there's something when we were like King Gary or you're making film and you go back and watch these things about look, you know, I love swearing.
Speaker 1: It's whatever.
Speaker 2: But there's a great Cary Grant in that and they're they're they're brilliant, those sort of those films at that time. I think you could have learned so much of the writer just sitting and watching those An apartment really for me is I think, yeah, I think it set so much stuff. Wonderful, wonderful. What is the film you could or have? What's the most over and over again? Probably I'd say the Hangover? I mean the Hangover. If it's ever on me and Catherine will sitting it will just play on both. We could be sitting.
Speaker 3: Down to watch another film, like we're gonna watch like Barbie, and then you'll go to I TV too and you go, fuck hangovers.
Speaker 1: Just might as well watch ten minutes.
Speaker 3: I love this bit and then you before you know, they're looking at the photos at the end. I think it's a work of it's a really weird thing. It's a bit like Friends in the sense of when you first watch it, you're completely obsessed with Zach arf like it, so you know, he's just everything, and then you sort of like work.
Speaker 1: You know, Bradley Cooper comes and then actually you just go fucking Edie Holmes as the start of this film. It's so fucking.
Speaker 3: Brilliant, and it's just a brilliant. I just think it's a perfect comedy movie. I think it's and it just never fails to make me laugh. I think it's Yeah, I think it just it has that level of ambition as a comedy piece. But yeah, I just think, yeah, that is is wonderful bit of work.
Speaker 2: Respect respect what is We don't like to be negative and you you like this stuff, so like, what's the worst film you there?
Speaker 1: See?
Speaker 2: It's quite easy for this The LIBERATORI movie really under the under the Candle Libra.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I went to watching I think I was hung over.
Speaker 3: I think probably, but I went to watch it at Catherine and we both first sleep ten minutes in and uh, sort of at the end of when that movie was ship and this woman in front of me so Managy went, I'm surprised, you know you you're snoring through most of it. And so not only did I ruined it for everyone else in the cinema, and then I was like, maybe you were too harsh in it. We tried to give it another watch, and yeah, and I'm a positive guy. I just found it just I just couldn't get on board with it. It's hard as well, because the thing about it, right it is, did you know this industry? I find it really difficult to be as you know, I've grown into it. I find it really really hard to be negative about stuff because I know that people have put time and effort into things, and to write script is difficult or to that what I just found and it really I could see that it just didn't.
Speaker 1: Resonate with me. I just I found it really difficult watch. I just didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel bad saying this now, but I had to say something. You've pushed me into a corner and everyone in it is financially Yeah, I could have said, there's two other things I was thinking of which I won't say. And I know that everyone else is still nicking a living. There's still just a bad fucking head above all, what I know is Michael Douglas doesn't need Tom Davis to review his films and go, yeah, he's done right and.
Speaker 2: Very positive on Basic AGAINSTCT Sure, yes, yeah. Actually to be fair well, Michael Douglas.
Speaker 3: Is what he didn't even watch Basic against Me. Didn't even enjoy your sexies too busy watching sweating.
Speaker 2: You mean, what is the film that made you You're funny, You're very funny. What's the film that made you laugh the most? I think sort of Uncle Buck. And I think anything with John Candy was like I've heard John Candy. I think trains planes, I think trains plays is moments, small moments like I watch and I think he was just absolute.
Speaker 1: He was a good farm river but all like.
Speaker 3: Everything like if there's any one person, you know, Danny McBride, I think for certain size, but that sign of like to be sort of vulnerable but still so massive and sort of have this sort of like you know, and trained planes. There's just amazing little one liners that he has. There's a moment with Steve Martin when they're driving to the first hotel and they just left the airport and they're in that cab, this sort of like quite sort of aggressive looking dude.
Speaker 5: And Steve Martin just turns around and find you said this was like ten minutes down the road. And John Candy's like he's given us a guyed tour. It's it's like you're president, You're not. It's like he's proud of his town. It's a rare thing this day is and I don't know what. Let's look.
Speaker 3: I laugh every time that moment comes on because it's such a small thing that's so real. And he's just performance across the film and I just think he yeah, he's just like the perfect before I think it was the improviser and you know, Uncle Buck again. They're films that I'll just sit and I watch Carl running and I just think he managed to just take the art of being funny but actually just package it and it's completely believable. And to be a big guy and not to ever rely on your size as being a sort of like aggressive side of things.
Speaker 2: That's so interesting. I never I never thought about that. There's no the joke is never that he's he's always he's.
Speaker 3: And he's always vulnerable, and I think that's yeah, he's yeah, so yeah, I think and if you were John candyon makes me laugh, but often quite a lot at the time will make me cry as well. I think I think the end of Trains Planes, arguably at that moment, is just I'm done and a speech.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I like me, my wife likes me. You're like, wow, a little bit of your fucking Yeah, he's there, man. It's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 2: That weirdly the last person I recorded this podcast. We also picked John Candy. We talked about him a lot, and he is like pure you want to talk about fucking likability, Like you love him, you just love him and everything. Yeah, he's like instantly, you fucking love it because.
Speaker 3: It's interesting as how like yeah, Dandie mcpride and say Will Ferrell have like massive impacts on me as a comedian and stuff that I think is amazing to tell. But they're both and you know, in the they're probably more inspiring some ways, but actually want to watch Candy. It's an art of his characters and there for that thing. They're always like, let's and it's probably a time time has changed and times progressed, and you know, we're not having to make sort of a protagonists always likable to sort of sell a thing, but he managed to do that and actually but then and just she rooted for him in every scenario. It's like I sit watching called Buck and still that bit when he's in with the teacher great scenes because you know he's still managedes to be the underdog in all those situations. That's really Yeah, he's I think he's up there for one of the greatest ever performers. Think you know that's what let's get started JFK because my guy fucking goes in there.
Speaker 1: JFK's incredible. Yeah, it I forget that. It's incredible now.
Speaker 2: Tom Davis, Yes, sir, you have been magnificent as expected. However, ten years in the future, when for some awfully tragic reason, you're suddenly very frail and you and I are going to do always be Comedy with James Gill and You're like hobbling up the steps and I'm having to help you, and you say.
Speaker 1: Do you remember I said, And suddenly you've got an accent? Do you remember? I said? Do you remember? I said, if I'm ever too.
Speaker 2: Fail to take care of me, And I said, yeah, I do, Tom, It's so tragic, happens so quickly, And I say, you go ahead, you go ahead. I said, go ahead, like in Good Fellows Robert and he was keep.
Speaker 1: Going, going there.
Speaker 2: When you're walking, you're walking up the stairs, you're like really like, yeah, just keep keep yeah yeah, and you're like to be phra it's not actually that many steps.
Speaker 1: Probably you're the gun. Well, I'm trying to just put a silence on it.
Speaker 2: But annoyingly with putting the silence, run it's quite noisy, ironic.
Speaker 1: And but you're and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, keep going. Just James is up there, James up there, Yeah, keep going. And you're like, are you sure. Yeah, it's weird because he's never done stand.
Speaker 1: Up on Tuesdays.
Speaker 2: And and and James is going, you're ready, and I'm going there, just going there, just going and go anyway.
Speaker 1: And then I shoot you in the leg, in the back, yead and then you look at my face.
Speaker 2: I'm smiling, right, yeah, you look at you. You played along. You're a wonderful act. So you played along and you knew what was happening. And I've got a coffin with me, you know, I'm like in the other hand, and I go, oh, there is And then James comes out and he goes, what are you doing? And I go, James, I've just shut Tom three times as requested James. We got we've got a shower. I go, I know, listen, I do I can go longer, will be fine. I said, help me out here, and he goes, well, what we're going to do. We get him in the coffin, but we're gonna do it in chunks, and so he goes, well quick and he gets Tim and he says, Tim, you've got.
Speaker 1: Tim Lewis comes out of an axe. He goes, yeah, what do you do?
Speaker 2: I said, well, I just need to chop up Tom Davis here and go, oh god, with like three minutes till the shower.
Speaker 1: Go yeah, it'll be fine.
Speaker 2: So we just chopping out the body, choppingup body, chop everybody on the stairs, bits going everywhere. We packed you in the coffin. I'll be honest, there was more more of you than I was expecting. That coffin is absolutely rammed. It is packed right, what with your walking stick and your walker and all the accouterments you. It's a greedy person a pick a mix. It's every it's everywhere right. It's there's no room in this coffin. There's really only enough room for me to slide one DVD in the side for you to take across to the other side. And when you get there, it's movie night every night. What film are you taking to show the Sussage Party in Heaven when it is your movie night, missus tom Days, you know.
Speaker 3: What I think it would. I think it would have been The Hangover. I think it has enough. I think it's enough in it. I think I can watch that most nights and I'll take so new from it. I think there's so many different things, but I think, you know what, that would be the one. Okay, there'd be an incredible moment when Freddie Cooper walks past and he's like, oh my God, and I'm like, this is it, mate, It's the only film that I've got to watch. He's like, yeah, nobody else has picked this movie. I was, mate, if you want a story, when I went to see the stars balling up my first gay kiss.
Speaker 2: He sits down next to you and I guess, fucking hell boy.
Speaker 3: And that's when the end music plays out rings. It's a double ending, Tom Davis, what's a delight? Is there anything you would like to tell people to look out? What to watch for I suggest I go see you on tour for starters, I'd say the tour which will be a lot of fun, which is going to be around the UK from February next year or whatever.
Speaker 1: This goes out, and also one cut is out.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're which is I've not seen it yet, so hopefully I've made a cut.
Speaker 1: I hope.
Speaker 3: Fingers squatsed so that comes out of the fifteenth, so that it'll be a lot of fun. So they go and watch. If nothing else is Timothy channel may be amazing. Okay, Tom Davis, I love you, bless.
Speaker 1: You, brother, enjoy thank you so much. Thank you taking on this journey. Bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've really we've really been places. I'd say that many ways. It's been an incredible journey.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Have a good night, good day. Thank you.
Speaker 2: So that was episode two hundred tventy four. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com. Forward slash Great Goldstein for the extra secret videos and extra questions with Tom. Go to Apple Podcasts, give us a five star rating and write about the film that means the most to you and the why it's a lovely thing to reading. My neighbor more and loves it and always cries. Thank you so much to Tom forgiving me his time and for being so brilliant. Thank you to Scrubious Pip and the Distraction pieces of Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network for hosting it. Thanks to Adam Richardson for the graphics and leads Alighting for the photography.
Speaker 1: So that is it for now. I'll be back.
Speaker 2: Next week with another excellent guest that you will love. But in the meantime, have a lovely week and please, now more than ever, be excellent to each other.
Speaker 1: It was outside sad by.
Speaker 2: Was untime by its outcomes.
Speaker 1: Back back by That was out by back