Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Okay, ladies, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Before we get too far going on discussing, uh you know versus episodes that have happened in the past.
Speaker 2: Uh, listen, is welcome our guest today.
Speaker 3: I'll say that our guest today before I even do our guests, Let's say hello to our actual show members, Team Supreme.
Speaker 2: Look at me, thank you?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, Team supremes with us right now. This is Quest Love, Quest Love Supreme host. In case you haven't noticed by now, laya, how.
Speaker 2: Are you today?
Speaker 4: I am well, sir, thank you very well, Thank.
Speaker 2: You, no for how are you?
Speaker 5: Do?
Speaker 6: You know people don't really want to know to answer to that question. They want the quicken the past and be out so they can move to the next.
Speaker 3: So you know what, you know what I what I think the common thing is for post twenty twenty life. People are actually being honest now, you know, before it's like, what's up?
Speaker 2: Are you doing? Nothing much?
Speaker 3: Not much, just basically covered everything. People are now actually being honest about it.
Speaker 4: So I'm excited you're doing I'm exhausted.
Speaker 6: I'm exhausted as a forty something year old woman, I'm exhausted as a black person, I'm exhausted some days. Yeah, so I'm exhausted, but I'm happy to be here with you guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, shall we go into it.
Speaker 4: You can say hi to everybody else.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well I'll get back to your exhaustion. Okay, I want to acknowledge your exhaustion.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you, thank you as a male, and thank you.
Speaker 2: I want to acknowledge your exhausted. How are you going to Sugar Steve? How's life?
Speaker 7: I'm doing great, I feel good. I love this podcast. I love Team Supreme, I love our guests today. And the Sugar Network turned three years old this past weekend, So.
Speaker 2: That is all happy. Three years in a row. La, that's amazing.
Speaker 8: Wait three, I gotta ask Sular the Sugar the Sugar Network lasted longer than queeb.
Speaker 1: It anyway, Unpaid Bill House, Life on the Street.
Speaker 9: Uh, you know, fantastic. I've been looking forward to this all day. I wrote a song about the letters today.
Speaker 2: It was a good day. Wait, it just hit me on Sesame Street.
Speaker 3: You have to kind of recycle old ideas in terms of the new ideas, Like so every day you have a new challenge on your hand, like to to make a song about the letter.
Speaker 2: G or a mirror. That's where the genius lies. Man, Come on, what do I look like? You said?
Speaker 3: That's that's why they pay you the big get it. That's why they pay me barely enough to sustain my living. I see, I see, fine, Ticolo, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm cool, man cool, I'm tired, but I'm good though he's exhausted to one one tired, one exhausted.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I'm still happy to be here in the midst of all the tiredness.
Speaker 1: But one.
Speaker 3: Okay, Now I can say that our guest today, if she's still there with us after that long intro, beautiful, I'm glad you're there.
Speaker 1: Our guest today is basically dedicated her life to I.
Speaker 3: Guess I could say, creating real change and especially how black people are viewed in the press and in history, not only just the present in history. She's been a political analyst on various news outlets, but you know, she's also written books about the effects of voter suppression, jerry mandering, and and how political activism has affected or lack of political activism has affected our people. Make sure you pick it up, Say it Louder is the name of the book. I myself can attest that she is an amazing host of her new Saturday MSNBC show, The Cross Connection, which I faithfully I've not dedicated myself to watch anything on Saturday morning, this faithfully black since Soul Training.
Speaker 1: That's a hell of a statement coming from Questland.
Speaker 5: It is. I'm humble by that I'm up there with Don Cornelius. Touches my heart, bless you in my life.
Speaker 3: There's Don Cornelius and now welcome to the show, Tiffany Cross to quest of Supreme.
Speaker 2: My gosh, I'm so happy.
Speaker 5: Is anyone? Is anyone going to ask me how I'm doing?
Speaker 2: Now we can get what we wanted to Just are you exhausted? How are you today?
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, seriously, I'm very happy to be here. I would just be doing this on my own on the couch by myself, So I am happy to share the screen with all you guys. Next week, y'all are going to be like, why is Tiffany on the zoom Lenk. It wasn't a weekly invite, it was just the one week.
Speaker 2: That's how we got doing. Now, if you just around you get the gig. That's how it works.
Speaker 5: Just show up, I volunteer. But I'm also feeling hopeful. I definitely relate to you, a forty seven year old black woman feeling outraged and raged all the things. So definitely. But I do have to say the vaccine has me feeling a little hopeful.
Speaker 2: That have you. God, I haven't.
Speaker 5: I haven't, but I am open to getting the vaccine. I'm looking forward to getting it.
Speaker 6: Same here, same here, all right, No, I'm gonna take this opportunity while you're giving them.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to know how y'all feel about, like.
Speaker 1: Y'all take it back or something.
Speaker 4: No yet, But talking about.
Speaker 6: Talking about the vaccine, I just had a deep conversation in group text with some DC friends who were fortunate enough to get it, and I was curious, if y'all are able to get it before you're eligible, will you let the world know or will.
Speaker 4: You just hang back?
Speaker 8: Leads into my question, I'll go, oh, I was in I probably wouldn't let the world know. I mean, so the thing this is going around here, So in North Carolina, we just got the Johnson and Johnson and the one shot joint.
Speaker 2: Yeah, supposedly supposed to. We got like eighty thousand of them.
Speaker 8: And so the thing the word I'm hearing is that and I heard this also from another one my homies just in California. They have the restrictions and you know, the age settings and all that stuff, But the healthcare professionals, the word I'm hearing is that they being relax on it because they just like, look, anybody that wants the shot, We're gonna get y'all a fucking shot.
Speaker 2: Like we don't care, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: So in terms of skipping in line, I don't think that's as much of an issue. I mean, I'm still gonna like, wait my turn because I'm fortunate enough baby from work from home, and not think people that work, you know, essential workers and stuff should get that way before.
Speaker 2: You know someone like right, that's fortunate enough.
Speaker 8: But the word I'm hearing is that the auto medical people they just like, look, man, anybody want this shit, come get.
Speaker 2: It, because we this shit too.
Speaker 5: That's good. Actually, what about the rest?
Speaker 6: What about you, Tiffany, if you if somebody knocks on your daughter tomorrow says you want when you share it with the world or feel Yeah, I think I will.
Speaker 5: Just because I do believe in public honesty, you know, like I wouldn't want to fake like I'm like the Trumps went and got that, Like I want to tell people, yeah I got it, and I think it's okay if it highlights you know, whatever slither or privilege I have. You know, I got a shot.
Speaker 4: I feel bad. I don't want to tell no mony talk about.
Speaker 5: It though, talk about it because the vaccine, and you're contributing to her immunity. Like the more people get it, the virus has no place to go. So even Sufi is like, look suck all that paperwork, get needles and arms, you know, like get people vaccinated.
Speaker 4: So I'm with it.
Speaker 5: I mean, I want to I want to do this in person with you guys, you know what I mean, Like I want to go, like, where were you drinking afterwards?
Speaker 2: You're officially joining us, Tiffany, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Serious tribute.
Speaker 3: I actually believe you will take us on that offer because you even after your show, you do these gargantuan length post show conversations and I watch them all I'm like, whoa, this shit's like seventy minutes. You talk to your drivers, all that stuff. I love that well, I was gonna ask you guys, Okay, so right now in Philadelphia, I was asked to participate in kind of like a PSA thing because everyone's getting the memo that, of course black people are just slightly a bit slow to be first in line for good reason, right, for good reason. And again like the preference is that I feel like, yes, the medical industry of what was between three hundred and let's face it, fifty years ago, it's slightly different than what we're dealing with right now. And the thing was is that I rejected, well, I rejected one because the script really didn't address the skepticism. It's more like, hey, guys, make sure you're vaccinating da da da da da. And I try to explain to them. I said, you know, there's a history behind why we're not too eager to do this first and the mistrust, you know, for you to be effective and really want to reach black people, you're going to have to address.
Speaker 2: I address that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to address why we're so slow to not be the first in line to do this. And it kind of threw them for a loop, like people are slowly learning right now. But it's it's like, what is that conversation like what, how how can one do that in a sustinct thirty second SoundBite, Like how do you address that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 8: Oh, I was gonna say, Now I think you just addressed it, like, hey, the Tuskegee experiment, Yeah, that was fucked up, but this ain't that get vaccinated.
Speaker 6: Well, it's more than a particular experiment, people, just a skibe experiment and everything that America has done to you in the past, from the beginning, from the beginning, from you know.
Speaker 4: Taking your mother's wombs and doing shit like that. Yeah, I know, Tiffany can articulate it better.
Speaker 5: Well, no, I honestly, you took the words out of my mouth. I mean, it was the scientific experiment on black people during enslavement. It was a Henrietta Lack story. It was even during the fifties that they would kicknap black people and do scientific experiments on them. I mean, black people just go missing. Their lives are in value. But the thing is, because I don't want to just discount what what black people feel, but I do find that when people say, oh, but what about the Tuskegee experiment, and I asked them, you tell me what you think the Tuskegee experiment is and people don't understand it right. People think that they were literally injecting black men with syphilists, and I have to explain to them, no, that's not the case.
Speaker 4: So what there's vaccine?
Speaker 5: Right? Exactly what does thataccine? It's like people understandably are distrustful, but it's like I know some of y'all out there and bought some pre rolls. You don't really know what's.
Speaker 6: In that, but you're still hold on Not Tiffany, we do know what's in it because they tell you exactly what are the ingredients and how much TSC TC.
Speaker 5: The vaccine tells you. But the vaccine you can have what specifically is in the vaccine, like.
Speaker 4: You go and eat you know, beyond burd.
Speaker 5: Right exactly, like you if you trust those things, like get the vaccine. And then you're asking adults to get vaccinated. So it's like when we got vaccinated when we were kids. You just don't remember like now as an adult, like go get that needle in your arm, like every be responsible for the next person's health.
Speaker 3: So, to be honest with you, I'm also hearing more from you know, the amount of unfollowing that I've been doing.
Speaker 2: To hotep Twitter.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it because I mean, I mean that's more like, see, this is how they get the chip in your arm.
Speaker 8: And you know there's people still response Irresponse's working with its working.
Speaker 2: With conspiracy theory things. So like the chip is in your own the chip is in your fucking pocket. It's called your cell phone. Exactly. We done being lost that war bro, It's over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're not off the grid at all.
Speaker 7: It's not just black people who are afraid of the vaccine. Was not making a joke, Steve No. I mean I'm gonna, I'm gonna get it and everything. But I know I know a whole slew of white people who are afraid of the vaccine for other reasons, you know, obviously not let us reasons. Just you know, the all the conspiracy anti vaccine community.
Speaker 2: I forgot forgot shipping me in my arm. They're they're going to be able to track me.
Speaker 7: They're gonna it's the aliens whatever, like you know, I mean, it's not there's there's a as.
Speaker 2: What could be an auto Jenny McCarthy ship.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, the anti batter thing, and like you know, hopefully that's there's not enough of them where it affects her immunity. But there's a significant amount of people that I'm seeing or hearing from, Wow, that are legitimately anti vaccine in general.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not anti vaccination, but I definitely was pro waiting two to three months before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: The street that's all.
Speaker 5: Sorry, you get it now? Did you get it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I would definitely get it. I more or less wanted for my family first. Yeah, right, same here.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you but your mother it should be easy for her. So once that's the thing, right, Like, once the elders get it and.
Speaker 1: You can get it, do you, that's gonna be a whole nother one.
Speaker 4: Hugging people.
Speaker 5: I mean you all may have already talked about this, but I'm just really curious about it. I am a huge fan of sly and the family Stone.
Speaker 2: Yes, what is your.
Speaker 5: Love connection with sly Stone? And I'm so excited about the documentary?
Speaker 9: That was a weird See someone who works in television and media, it's a really weird segue.
Speaker 2: That's an awesome segue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the wheel screens on.
Speaker 2: That got it? All right, sly Stone, Let's do it. Here's the weird thing.
Speaker 3: I literally went from I went from I'll say in December, I went from somebody should make I went from that person like, you know, what would be a good idea, somebody should make a documentary?
Speaker 2: I will say this much.
Speaker 3: This is probably the most I will say on my plan for this project before and before we shoot it.
Speaker 2: I have I have a deep desire to really dive into.
Speaker 3: Self sabotage and black genius, and I feel like this is my opportunity to do that because it would be really easy to just concentrate on the chronic lateness, the cocaine use, the heroin.
Speaker 1: Use, the abuse, all those things like I gut, you know, to do.
Speaker 3: A tragic musicians story would be like very easy to do, Like this guy.
Speaker 2: Was a genius and all that.
Speaker 3: But you know, oftentimes when you see documentaries of people that are in that are of the genius ilk, especially with black people, you really don't get to see the scientific process of one what makes them genius into you know, like this whole like natural ability and God given talent, Like there's more too that. So yes, I do want to explore his genius songwriting, his you know, all his songs are damn near like nursery rhymes.
Speaker 2: The fact that he took nursery rhymes and made them into hit.
Speaker 3: Singles is one thing, but only because the film that I previously did focused on such a victory lap for him, him doing the Harlem Cultural Festival and then doing Woodstock two weeks later, and often wonder like, Okay, so then after you did Woodstock and you have the world in the palm of your hand.
Speaker 2: All you had to do was put the ball in the basket, but you did, like if you.
Speaker 3: Remember, Carlton and the Fresh Prince of Belly are like stealing the ball from Will and throwing it the opposite direction and missing, Like I want to know, why did he sabotage that moment?
Speaker 2: And it's only yeah, I do. And here's the thing which leads into how many of you seen.
Speaker 3: Billy Holliday's movie. The one good takeaway from the Billie Holiday not the one could take away like it's a bad takeaway, but the one sure fire takeaway that one can get is that when you're living in this time period like it's it's you're living in constant terror. So there's no way for you to operate normally, you know, because it's almost like I think people think that, well, because you're a celebrity or you're a successful singer, you have these hit singles, then your life is great. And what happens is is that you see how being raped that ten affected her. You see how her seeing how she wrote strange fruits, like seeing those dead bodies swinging and all that stuff like that affects you. And you know, I think for it sly and for a lot of black people, there's a lot of I deal with this a lot, a lot of guilt, you know, I'll put it this way. The night that I won Sun Dance, like, I actually caught myself like trying to tell my publicist to not send out press alerts because I was already managing this person feeling in some sort of way or that person or like a here is doing too much and da da da da da. Like I found myself almost going there, like undoing a whole year's worth of work. So yeah, I think whatsly that will also answer the question why we are dealing with the music that we have today and why this person takes a decade or more to make an album or that person takes two decades more to make an album or this person has a dependency problem, or this person keeps getting thrown in jail.
Speaker 1: Like why do we keep self sabotaging because.
Speaker 4: Artist or people just like everybody else, and we all have trauma.
Speaker 2: We all have.
Speaker 5: Trauma, generational trauma. Even so there you go.
Speaker 3: Well I was I wasn't separating like artists are no different than regular people. But that's the thing, like artists are regular people.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's self sabotaged. I think it's just mental illness.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's trauma not knowing how to deal with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean we just learned now how it was LaStone doing it just self medicating, right, because and he didn't even know there wasn't even a term called self medicating then.
Speaker 2: Now it was just called drugs.
Speaker 5: Mental illness or is it like just trying to manage like our day, you know, like I think about everything we're going through today, we're all collectively experiencing something traumatic every day.
Speaker 8: So well, the reason why that causes mental illness, I think because we all are losing our damn minds.
Speaker 3: When I'm researching, when I'm researching on him, is that, uh, you know, the average black person in their professional career off goes through. I mean, everyone has their level of code switching that you have to do. Like your office persona is different from you're in front of the mirror in the shower persona, and your cousin's persona and your next door neighbor, like you have different masks or whatnot. I'm now, you know, in doing the research, realizing that Sly has to, you know, kind of code switch for the panthers who are just starting out and pressuring him heavily to stay black and stop doing this hippie shit. But then on the other side of the bay, it's like these counterculture hippies that Sly actually raised, Like I've the one one part of his life I didn't study that much was between sixty three and sixty seven when he got his deal, was that he was he was one of the first kind of post Timothy Leary counterculture tune out, do what you want to do, like hip voice of a particular radio station in San Francisco, which basically informed like all those white counterculture hippies, like if anything, like Sly actually built those hippies so to be to to stay black or on one side of Oakland and to tune in, tune in, tune.
Speaker 1: Out with the hippies, uh in San Francisco, and.
Speaker 3: Then have to talk money and business with the squares, like the people that are signed as checks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that can be exhausting as hell.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, So I mean we all we all called twitch a little bit. I think I'm been intentional to not do that, though honestly I try to. I'm sure on some level I do, But at a certain point it was just like not that you know, you're right, you don't.
Speaker 6: That's privilege. That's twenty twenty privilege. Yeah, That's why I love you, because that's twenty twenty privilege.
Speaker 2: Do you guys follow what's her name?
Speaker 10: She?
Speaker 3: She's a Philadelphia news correspondent, la. I know her instagram is miss news Lady, but she often does these, Uh she does her tiktoks and her instagrams in which she's Dominican. She's Dominican black. Yes, what's yeah, Janette Rays She's She's a Philadelphia news broadcaster and her entire instagram is dedicated to kind of coach switching because she's Dominican, So you know, there's a way she talks when she's with her Dominican friends and then.
Speaker 2: With her husband huh.
Speaker 3: Yeah anyway, and and then there's her news voice. And that's the thing I was noticing. The first thing I noticed about Tiffany was that you don't have a news voice. But I also noticed that there's difference between like local network news than it is for.
Speaker 2: You know, broadcast news.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hit, the cable news is a bit different. That's true. But I saw and I hear you like, because twenty twenty one privilege of twenty like it is a thing. But I still think people code switch. And I just feel like this girl she was she designed a website for me. This was like seven years ago. She's a white girl, and she tweeted about it and she was like gone and hit bat dat yeah. And she was about twenty two years old, And I was like, you know what, I'm twice this girl's age and she trying to sound like me. I'm not close switching anymore.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 5: While everybody get used to it, why does she have the privilege to tweet and talk like I do authentically and she can appropriate it and comfort that I don't have as my natural state of being.
Speaker 4: It was abrupt.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, like I'm not doing that shit anymore. This is it.
Speaker 4: Deal with it.
Speaker 5: And then it's like people make jokes and cultural references all the time that you know, that's not my cultural reference. You know, are you're dropping a line from something that I'll married like, oh classic, I'm like if I drop a line from Harlem Knights or Coming to America, that's my classic. You know, Like we experience what they find funny all the time, like come, like why do we have to have ours in a vertical you know, like a separate tab. So I just say, yeah, if I say a joke or reference something, you don't get it. It wasn't for you.
Speaker 2: And that wasn't for you.
Speaker 4: At what point, at what point in your life did you feel comfortable doing that?
Speaker 11: Like when I went to be When I went to be Eta, it was very unorthodox.
Speaker 3: We never waited a half hour to actually get into the story. Like I know, I was just thinking, we go where do you grow up? We haven't gotten of that ship yet, Like we skipped all of that.
Speaker 2: Well we just skip it, like we just went and kicking it.
Speaker 5: We just.
Speaker 9: Switching codes and cultural approach ures just like way early, it's hey, you're talking to the wrong.
Speaker 2: Guy, I've been doing it like he's making fun of me. Let's talk about let's talk about it. Let's talk about red light district.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 2: I do want to know how how you got in the game.
Speaker 3: I mean i've i've you know, I became aware of you because you were always uh ms C m s nb c's go to person when it came to well, when I really started paying attention to m S NBC, say, like the last two years of Obama's administration, you would often be on as a talking head or whatever. Definitely during the beginning of forty five's administration.
Speaker 2: But yeah, how did how did you get your start?
Speaker 4: And we find out where she's from. I just want to know where she's from.
Speaker 5: From Cleveland, but I grew up actually in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hate me too. Yeah really no.
Speaker 2: No, yeah no, no, you can't. We said this last year, you can't clean three cities. But I graduated.
Speaker 4: I've graduated from Clark Atlanta University. I don't know what you do it is, I don't clean.
Speaker 5: You claim it if twelve years, all right, I'll clean. Yeah, but you claiming c a U. Yeah, yeah, I was born in Cleveland, but I grew up in Atlanta, and I've been in d C now for twenty years. Oh wow, okay, twenty one years. Twenty one years and I came to DC. I was with CNN in Atlanta and they relocated me to DC to cover Capitol Hill.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: And yeah, I just you know, honestly, you guys, I had a really rough time.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 5: I didn't have any money. I didn't come from privilege. I was in Atlanta. I was out there just on my own, struggling. I was a bake teller at First Union.
Speaker 4: That's a good, great college job, it is.
Speaker 5: But I needed to make some money and I needed to eat and I needed to live, you know. And so it was a program director of v won O three, the major urbanization.
Speaker 4: Yes, bid man, baby. I used to be his intern.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I need to do the news. I begged my way into doing the news for their Frank Sky Morning Shoe. Yes.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And so I'm gonna tell y'all, I was like twenty one. The program director said I could do it. I didn't have a car, so I used to have to get Tony Brown. He was because my uncle worked on way back in the day. And I was like, you know, my uncle, and I begged his ass, like, just give me a chance. And I used to have to be there at the crack of dawn with no car. Martin started running on time. I mean I would get.
Speaker 4: Were smart.
Speaker 5: The hood.
Speaker 4: Africans rapidly through Atlanta.
Speaker 5: I like, no. My uncle was Marco Spoon, who's radio personality in Houston.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: He was in l A for a while. He was in DC for a while, and he and Tony Brown worked together and yeah, so Tony was like, all right, you can do the news, and so I'm gonna tell y'all when I got the news doing Frank C Morning Show.
Speaker 4: I was like, Lord, I made it.
Speaker 5: You have blessed me. You ain't got to do nothing else for me. I'm about to get so much money. I'm gonna push it hont A seventh one day on I got a republic and make your great. And I was in say, the Lord had a bigger vision for my life than I did, because that was how I got my foot in the door to do news. And then after that I went to they You probably remember this. The TSU Classic would take place in Atlanta and I this is before everybody had email. So I used to have to carry around paper copies of my resume just in case, and I did, thank God. And I met a black executive who worked at CNN, and I gave him my resume and he said, I can't do anything but guarantee you an interview. And I said, that's all I need, brother, is an interview. And never since then the rest is history. I was at CNN and I worked my ass off. I worked seven days a week, and somebody said you should go to DC, be a good fit, and they relocated me here, and my whole life I wanted to be the brown Murphy Brown. And I got here and hustle, hustle, hustle, and I felt real and welcome, though you guys like the news room was not very well welcoming to a young black, twenty seven year old woman who had thoughts and opinions. And so I left. But I but I think when I got to be ET, I was able to do a lot more, you know. But BT was different because they're like, you know, I'm here in DC trying to be very serious in covery Bush administration. They're like, you know, Tiffany, we need you to go out and like, you know, do the red carpet at the Grammys. I'm like, you know, twenty five and I'm like, no, you guys, because George take yours out of the time, you know.
Speaker 2: I read that like I would go.
Speaker 5: But I was always very serious and all these like famous people would be around and I'm all, like, you.
Speaker 2: Know, capet walk By, I was, but look I was not on.
Speaker 5: Air, Amir. I was a producer. So I used to work with this on air talent who did all entertainment. Her name is Sharon Carpenter. She was British.
Speaker 4: Yes, global grind, yes, yes, yes, Sharon and I my girl father.
Speaker 5: I love her. So she, Sharen and I we worked together a lot, and she was like a beauty, you know. So people would like push past me, always trying to get this year, and and there was always somebody from the entourage like trying to holler at me. And I was very serious, you know, I'm like, excuse me, I'm on a phone call. Thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I want to cover he re lax.
Speaker 5: I was so uptight, you know. So yeah, I was always grinding, like I'm probably now just at the point when I turned forty, I think that's the first time I exhaled. I was clinched all the time.
Speaker 4: So many follow ups today. Yeah, I was up tight.
Speaker 5: I was up tight. I was just you know, but anyway I did that. I started my own business for a while, a news outlet that senter people the VDC.
Speaker 2: Coffington Post to say that or yeah.
Speaker 5: But it was except that it was all people of color. It was black, Latino, Asian American and Native American and so we had you know, writers, and that was our folks. And that's how cable newsbookers were like, why don't you call on our air and talk about it? And thankfully Joy read I went on her show and we became friends. And she was just the way that Melissa Harris carry passed dway to Baton. Joy said very early on, like I want you to have this show.
Speaker 4: So she was very very ill.
Speaker 5: I weren't for Joy.
Speaker 6: I could tell when they y'all were going through the thing where everybody was just filling in and that spot, I was like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tiffany's she's a she's a favorite.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I didn't feel that way at the time. I didn't know what anybody was thinking.
Speaker 4: We were, Yeah, we were cheering me and my mom weering for you.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you. It's been a it's been an adjustment, you know, being I was always a producer. I was always you know, preparing for my talent. So going from that to being from the control room to the green room and then from the green room to the anchor chair, it's been an adjustment, you know. But everybody has an opinion.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, what's the hardest part of that adjustment going from behind the camera to being on camera?
Speaker 5: You I think people's opinions screaming in my face, you know, all day is hurtful, you know, Like everybody has a thought, and I'm just not used to that. You know, I'm real regular, you know, and so when people see me, I'm never like, you know, I'm like, yeah, what's good, what's up?
Speaker 10: You know why?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you want to take a picture, let's do it. Like I'm so weird to me that somebody would recognize me and say something. And so when people like say something off, I'm like, damn, I'm out here trying to do it for the culture and uplift my people, and you thought enough of me to email me something ugly.
Speaker 4: I'm just not used to that.
Speaker 5: I'm like, damn, you don't even know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's no that right now.
Speaker 4: Sorry, it's like a Twitter and stuff.
Speaker 5: Twitter DM my my website that people email you know I read those things.
Speaker 6: So Tiffany, let me ask you, what's your new Do you have a new way of upkeeping your armor? What's your new armor upkeep?
Speaker 4: And has Joy? What has Joy suggested in that price?
Speaker 5: Joy is so amazing, Like I really we I probably talked to Joy every day. I'll tell you guys, we have a group chat where all of us who have faces incoming. So it's me, Joy, Angela Roy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Group you say, all the ship they get you canceled in public. You have to have one. You have to have one.
Speaker 5: It's a very safe space for a bunch of black women who have a lot of incoming. And you know, I have my armor publably. But sometimes I'm like, damn, y'all, somebody you know said my blouse was sucked up today or like some things, I'm like, damn, that feels so hurtful, But I mean I have to reject it. And thankfully I have friends who like it wouldn't matter if I was you know, we've been up the street, like they just love me a mirror. This is so this is funny. I'll tell you guys. I was with one of my closest friends. We were having and she was like, I'm thinking about making this soup on Tuesday. You should come over. And I was like, oh, man, I think I have something to do.
Speaker 4: And I looked.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh, I can't do it because I'm doing this thing with plus love. And she was like, oh my god, tell them. I said, Hi, my friend Rachel and Emir are apparently pals.
Speaker 4: And I was like, I knew that was next.
Speaker 5: Rich Rachel, Rachel Rachel of Caribbean rhythms.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, Rachel chewy chewy. Yeah, how was she doing?
Speaker 5: Literally I had my hat on because I was running from her house. I was like, what time is she like a six to fifty. I was like, oh my god, I have to go. She made me this wonderful meal tonight. She's so awesome. We sit outside at her fireplace. She's amazing. She's a homemaker now. She has three kids. Her oldest is like twenty. She has a set of twins who are like seventeen. She still dropped it. Gorgeous, Yeah, like walking embodiment of love. Like to know. She's the kindest, sweetest person in the whole wide world. And I talked to her fifty times and I was literally on her couch outside telling her like how stressful it is, you know, like I have to, you know, try to kill it on my show every Saturday, and you know, try to make sure I'm being culturally responsible to the rising majority of this country. And because she's been in the spotlight and had a whole different experience than I did, it's just really nice to have that sisterhood and that away time where we can just come and be our vulnerable selves and talk unfiltered, you know. So that's how I maintain my sanity, really, but I want to hear how do you how do you guys maintain some some other methods of hoping it's.
Speaker 2: The same thing.
Speaker 8: You definitely have to have the clubhouse. You have to have the clubhouse, the group chat, clubhouse. Pressure is just this is just the rock nation brush that.
Speaker 2: Our goal. You should be. You should be in marketing, bro, Like, I just it's too much, brother, I'm wearing your shirt. Brother. I mean that's it's it's like when it when it first up off, it is like let it like.
Speaker 4: That ship is hate.
Speaker 2: I hate when tells the truth.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 8: No, it's just you know, if you're into that, if you missed the mixers and the label things, it's cool, but not so now.
Speaker 2: The group chat definitely helps. Having a group chat where you can.
Speaker 8: See it won't get you can and won't get your cancel group. Just to get those thoughts out, that's good I have. Also for me, it's been helpful. Like just walking, it's been helpful. I like try to get some air sunshine every day. Just get a good old walk in and marijuana.
Speaker 5: I the way my direct deposit is set up, I'm not gonna understand, but I a.
Speaker 4: Wave that your direct deposit is set up now.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's certain a job. But from from a policy perspective, let me just say that I'm very excited that they're exploring moving marijuana off the Schedule one drugs as it should be.
Speaker 2: At the same time.
Speaker 4: If you, if you could you live in Jersey.
Speaker 1: No, I'm just saying that we're two employees of NBC.
Speaker 7: I just never knew if Yeah, so hold on, I've been writing this entire it's the entire last thirty years. Yes, all right, sorry, Yeah, everything that Fantees said, It's true, uh walks Uh.
Speaker 1: Meditation is also yeah, big one.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to get into it.
Speaker 4: My mind is always going a mir what's that? What app? Are you an app? Dude? Because or are you just even bigger than that which you breathe.
Speaker 2: Is some one called breeds? I made that up right now, my guy YouTube, my guys.
Speaker 3: Doctor Joe despends it. I was you, Tiffany, like I can't sit silent for you know, for these amount of times. And you know, the first when I started was like, all right, fifteen minutes. Can I sit there for fifteen minutes?
Speaker 4: That's long?
Speaker 3: You know, slight disclos with my girlfriend says I go overboard, like not even you know, not not even you know the Deepak Chopri would meditate for three hours a day.
Speaker 4: So three hot kind of who's got that kind of time?
Speaker 2: Sh Yeah? This guy.
Speaker 9: You see what my ear was like last year you got you missed the knightety jobs, you have three hours run fucking up?
Speaker 2: See he let my victories this year? Yeah yeah, all right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Trying to do ship except for meditate three hours every day since March thirteenth.
Speaker 2: Well aren't you well, can.
Speaker 6: I just say, Tim, if you do think about meditating, I just the baby step would be.
Speaker 4: I kind of started with headspace. They started like three minutes.
Speaker 6: You can go three, five, T twenty and they teach you kind of how to go through the process, close your eyes and rid of the out space, you know what I mean, Like it's a whole process, and they bring you back. So a lot of you know those apps I'm not going to say specifically helps you.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, look up doctor Joe Despenser. He's he's the one that kind of pulled me off the ledge of this is dumb. Like at first it's like this is dumb, and then I can't do.
Speaker 4: This, doctor Joe dispensa.
Speaker 2: Doctor Joe Dispensa.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he was the the entry to me really under and he explained it in a way that you know that I got it. And now I absolutely believe that that is single handedly why the things that have been happening have happened. I've had zero I've had I had zero plans for none of this shit that's happened.
Speaker 2: Like you know, and when you do three hours as a three continuous hours, or do you break it.
Speaker 3: Up I do two hours in the morning and I do an hour at night before I go to bed, because they said it's important for you to not go to sleep immediately after like you watch the news. Normally I would go to sleep after Rachel, Like after Rachel goes on, then I go to sleep. And that's the worst thing to do, Okay, Rachel be on to be on right, and or I sleep the MSNBC and that's not or just watch a movie. So it's almost like you gotta clean It's like showering. You gotta cleanse and just sit in silence for that time period.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: First I started with the listing things I want to achieve in life, and then now I'm just in the stage where I just sit silently, and yeah, I think that that's that's the key because the thing is literally I can't stress it enough that and I gotta get out this thing.
Speaker 4: Crystals to a mirror.
Speaker 6: Though you got things for your energy, Like, don't let Timny just think you got the meditation, You got the crystals, like you.
Speaker 4: Want some stuff.
Speaker 5: Your house looks very psychedelic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's because my girlfriend is very psychedelic. This isn't no different world. What's what's your name, Freddie and uh shaka.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 5: It feels like you know, it feels like when Charlie Murphy saw Princess Aura, like right now, Yeah, that's what it looks like.
Speaker 4: But working out, working out too, TIF working out helps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do. I find when I'm walking that helps. I have this like ad machine that I do that helps, and other things, you know, other things. It's challenging though, you know, like everything. I think it's a stress and the news, like I can understand, like not being able to sleep after you watch the news because the news is often challenging, you know what, what's happening in the world.
Speaker 4: Most of our parents that's how they go to sleep, most of our parents.
Speaker 8: There, I can't do it. I don't see I don't keep it. I don't keep a TV. I never had a TV in my bedroom, so that was like, yeah, please, what Grace been trying to get you to get get it out? That's that's so hard. That's one of the main issues right now with the new spot.
Speaker 4: No Adult Swim at night.
Speaker 1: I want a TV in my bedroom and I think I'm about to lose this battle.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm telling it's for the best man, like it's true best because it's just yeah, like.
Speaker 2: Because you you learned like in the space.
Speaker 8: And this was particularly important with the pandemic when we were all at home and it was just the thing of training your mind to get used to having every space has its specific function. So when my son had to do his uh like school, you know, my wife she was like, well, baby, we can just do it at the kitchen table.
Speaker 2: I was like, nah, this is where we eat dinner.
Speaker 8: So we bought him a desk, so you know, you know, to sit down at this desk that tells your mind it's time to go to work.
Speaker 2: And when you're in the bedroom, you know, I don't want like TV. That's the place for me. It's time to go to sleep or to work, depending on the doe. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 8: So yeah, it's just that it's something that's been super helpful. But yeah, I never kept a TV in the bedroom. Man, it you get a lot.
Speaker 3: You sleep so much better really in your life or in your adult life. In my life, like, I never had one games.
Speaker 2: I mean I would play them, but then when it was time to go to bed, and I was like, all right, cut it off. I just cut it off and that was it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: But I couldn't go to sleep to like noise, like because the thing is like I could sleep to music, but I can't sleep to TV because it sounds like it feels like somebody is trying to have a conversation me while I'm trying to go to sleep, like I'm trying to go to sleep in a niggas like, hey man.
Speaker 2: Sleep Remember that time we was just like the fun up. So I just I just do music, but I don't do TV.
Speaker 3: Uh see before yeah, before she moved in, I'll say that I kept TV constantly running because it was like a roommate, you know, this companionship. And I hated the sound of silence like that was you know now, I can't wait for silence. But before me both yeah, before Grace moved in, I couldn't stand silent.
Speaker 4: I was gonna ask Tiffany not to be in her business. But do you have a partner, a COVID partner?
Speaker 5: No, I live alone. And I was curious when you were in your girlfriend moved in. I'm like, I can I'm gonna tell you, guys, I cannot imagine being stuck in this house with another human being. It's a two bedroom. I mean it's upstairs downstairs, so I guess one person could be up But I just like doing what I want to do, you know what I mean, Like I'm not negotiating over what I want to watch on the TV. What I want to be, you know. And I think it would be a really big adjustment to do that. But I'd be open to like a relationship where we're married and my husband lives across the street and he can come into my ship anytime he wants, he wants exactly.
Speaker 4: They did that.
Speaker 2: A lot.
Speaker 4: There's there's another couple you hear about that. They did a lot.
Speaker 3: They did a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was it was open. They had an open word for a little bit. I don't know. They swing.
Speaker 4: I was when swingers, but yeah, yeah, tiny without all the Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, I just said, I said, they made CNN it just mean white people news love what.
Speaker 4: Gets the word Wait a minute, bills it again?
Speaker 8: I said, I said what No, I said, see it and loves it when I gets off up with white people.
Speaker 4: That's all right, it's the truth, it's all.
Speaker 2: But they took him out of being said hold on, They took him out of Iron Man. Not iron Man. They took him out of a Man three. I think I saw they just.
Speaker 5: The mar world.
Speaker 4: Oh, this ain't good because you know once you went in to the Marvel world.
Speaker 2: Although waking up, this is this role play going wrong.
Speaker 9: T I and Tiny denied sexual assault allegations as attorney seeks investigation of them.
Speaker 6: How there was an amazing theatrical re enactment of all the accusations that it's combined into a movie that you will see. I just saw that on the block. I will send it to you, but there.
Speaker 2: I can't wait for this.
Speaker 6: Everything talking about each separate incident and what happened. I'm talking about from interns to an ex military girl.
Speaker 2: It's a lot, you know, but it's it's actual testimony.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they're actors, Okay.
Speaker 3: I thought it was, like you remember when they used to do the sort of animation version of things, like when Tiger Woods had his first car crash reenactment.
Speaker 2: I thought it was that.
Speaker 4: That ain't gonna be on. You wouldn't.
Speaker 6: That's ill, because like, is it hard to pick and choose hm as a as a black person and so consciously.
Speaker 4: Excuse this term woke, woken, Yeah, what stories because you know what I'm saying, Yeah, I do. You know, it's not hard for me.
Speaker 5: What's hard is convincing the people around me to trust me, you know, because I think cable news has become such an echo chamber and it's like, oh, but like these are the four topics that we're talking about today, And I'm like, no, I get that, but these are the black ass topics I'm going to talk about today And can we meet somewhere, you know, in the middle, like I'll you know, have a different like panelists on that you want, but this is what I want to cover. Like I did a whole thing on All Star last weekend because I'm like, I know people who are traveling to Atlanta. But it was like I got to convince y'all that this is a story to do.
Speaker 4: You know. I'm like, I get nobody else is.
Speaker 5: Talking about it, but I promise you on my timeline, like All Star Weekend is a story of discussion. So we had Jamil Hill and Carrie Champion on to talk about that, and to me, it was a no brainer. But there are people, you know who operate from a spirit of fear and it's like, but this is what we do, and this is what we have always done. And you know something people don't realize. A majority of cable news viewers are white men over the age of sixty, and so it's still now. MSNBC does enjoy a disproportionate amount of black viewers, the highest amount of viewers among any other network, and not just any other news network, but any other cable network. So that includes bt TV one like everything. More black viewers tuned in MSNBC, but portionately, most of the viewers are white men over the age of sixty. So it's a constant reminder that you want to bring the white men over the age of sixty, you want to bring them along with the content. But it's for me, it's a constant reminder like you, guys, realize those people are not immortal. So you're ignoring the rising majority of this country, who you know, might not know, you know what, when you say the d D, they might not immediately know what that means.
Speaker 4: Or when you talk about, oh.
Speaker 5: Well, the Gang of Age is gonna, you know, meet with President Biden if now off the top of their head knows what the Gang of eight is, you know, So it's like, how can we slow this down and inform people? And it is cable news, so entertain people and reflect people back to them, and to be honest with you guys, like I'm still you know, I'm doing the best I can, but I'm still figuring out some things. Because when Melissa hars Perry took this or created this show, it was during the Obama years, and she was very professorial, very cerebral. When Joy took over from MH it was during the beginning of Trump and Brains, you know, and say, yeah, you guys are crazy. So now that I'm coming in during the Biden Harris administration, it is a you know, like what do I want this show to be? And a part of what I wanted to be is the mirror that America needs to see, you know, Like I might ruffle some feathers on the left because sometimes even allies are a problem, or maybe I'm not the most alike in some of my questions, you know, but like these are questions that people want answers to, you know, when people are like, oh, I was a regular Republican fian you know how awful he was? Thank you, Thank you, my allies, You know, I like to send your position and I want to have conversations about unity, but we can't talk about that shit. And we're not going to talk about the years, the centuries fucked up shit that you know has already been happening. So at least respect me enough to say, hey, you know what, you're right that shit was really racist or that shit was sucked up and we shouldn't have done it. When I have to start from a place of you're you know, pissing in my face trying to convince me it is raining, then it's like, what am I talking to you for? You know, they's not on six Change, Like I'd rather talk about our star weekends?
Speaker 2: Can I can I ask? How how.
Speaker 1: Much control do you have over the driver's seat of your show? Do you can?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 1: Is it hard for you to not to be producer and the host of the show?
Speaker 5: Very I mean, I think people remind me all the time you're not an executive producer anymore, you know, like trust us to support you and lead you. But I have a very strong committed vision to what I want this show to be. So it is a battle, like you know, a lot of weeks, it is a battle.
Speaker 2: Did you get your producer.
Speaker 5: No, so I'll tell you we're actually looking for an executive producer now, So a mirror if you're open, you know you're enjoying Jimmy, but.
Speaker 2: You can get it in right.
Speaker 5: Exactly exactly. No, it's been hard a new executive producer because we're you know, trying to use some different things that I'm hoping to have somebody come in who's like gets who doesn't operate from a spirit of fear, you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, I didn't want to get into the business, but I there. That's why I wanted to know when you came into the fold, what is what's the tug of war situation? Like on what you wanted to be? Like who is because your name is on the show that you get the final word or.
Speaker 5: You know, I mean it's still a battle, Like nobody has Carte Blunt, you know, everybody has a boss and so and it's.
Speaker 4: A new show too, right, So yeah, it comes with being a news.
Speaker 5: So there's some breathing room, but there also there's also something strange. So like Caesar Conde is the chair of NBC Universal News Group, and he's been very supportive, like go create Rashida Jones is the first black woman to be a president the cable news network. So it's an honor and thrill to work for her, and she's been very supportive. You know, everyone around me is an ally. But then you know, you get to middle management because like, you know, the chair doesn't have time to be looking at her a blocks, you know, but yeah, y'all go figure that out. And then middle management is like, yeah, we know what you want to do, but you know, here's what we do, and you have to you know, it's a give and take. I think my challenge is I've been on both sides. I trust. I mean, I'm a bet on myself every time, and I have studied the trends of cable news viewers and I see where this is going. I mean, you got to consider broadcast. We are all at the president's digital click yank everybody under you know, and everybody's not gonna win in the streaming game. So it's like, why and do do something Donald Trump is wanted.
Speaker 4: People want to get it.
Speaker 5: But he did give cable news that they needed, and so it's like what else. People don't have that appetite for that anymore, So what else can you give them and if the cable news ratings across the border want to go down, then give them. Why not try something new? You know, I'd rather be the needle and not the haystack, Like why do I want to look at I'm never gonna out see an n CNN. I don't want to. You know, I worked there before. I don't want to do what I did there. We're not going to be Fox News, you know. So it's like, let me create an experience, an authentic experience where people feel like they're either eavesdropping on a conversation or they're a part of the conversation, and I know what people are talking about. And sometimes I think people, you know, I think they think they know the community best, and I know I know the community past. So there is every week a lot of healthy exchange of ideas and ideology. But just so people know, I am like, if I'm not going to talk about something on Earth, I'm not going to say something on the ear that I don't believe, and I'm not going to talk about something that I think is damaging, you know, like if there's some clown on air, like you know it's a black Republican who was on you know, some show who was saying a bunch of dumb ship. I don't I don't want to put that person on the air because who do they represent? You know, like there is a random why would I you don't.
Speaker 2: Want to give them a platform?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 2: Why you amplify?
Speaker 1: And they often want you to have people that have opposing point of view to right.
Speaker 5: But any elected Republican is more than welcome to come on my show, you know.
Speaker 6: But they do is that where Candace Owens is on staff is MSNBC's on staff. Where I was at MSNBC, the MSNBC, CNN, I hope not an official correspondent.
Speaker 4: She yeah, like she's one of their go to apologies. Are you sure I'm sorry not Candace Owens?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Utah, okay me a love, me a love That's what I'm sorry, apology.
Speaker 5: See that she's at CNN. But there is an encouragement to get Republicans on the show, and you know, I think sometimes there's this underlying like, you know, like don't be so you know, like you have to create an environment where Republicans feel safe.
Speaker 4: And America America.
Speaker 5: Let's let's tell the black woman to make the Republican part right yo, or even these conversations about the future at a Republican party. I care about the future at the community, you know, like I just talk about that.
Speaker 4: Tiffany.
Speaker 6: Can I tell you a moment that you inspire my fear to go down? Because not for nothing. I have been allowed black woman for a long time, and people have been trying to shut me up for a long time to where it's finally studied to take effect.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying, I shut up.
Speaker 6: It's real, because I do I be wanting anyway, Tiffany, you I was going to say the moment that you were on the View and we were they were talking about you know this moment I'm just gonna explain to the audience when and you were talking. You were talking about female other females that should be running as beep at that Biden should pick us VP, and Woopy Goldberg said to you, it should be just be a woman of color, what about Tammy Duckworth, And you went into an amazing diatribe about why it should be a black woman. And that moment was to meet such a fearless moment because as easy as that sounded for you to do, It's just it wasn't.
Speaker 4: It wasn't Yeah, everybody. Everybody would responded that way. Somebody would have just been like, well, you know what, Whoope, you got a point a woman of color.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I you know, it was not challenging for me to do because I believe so passionately, and I think Whoopee has a different lived experience than I do. And this is no disrespect to Whoopee, because I admire her work and what she's done. But and I know that she has an authentic experience as a black woman, So I don't take that away from her. But I will say very respectfully, I think some people don't understand the difference between a black face and a black voice. And I think on that show, Whoopee is not always speaking on behalf of the community, but she's speaking on behalf of her unique lived experience that consistent mostly of Hollywood, and you know, different experiences than entertainment, and not what the streets are saying, not what you know we're sitting around our kitchen table saying. So again, I'm not dissing Whoopee, but yeah, I think I'm speaking for you know, a lot of people who feel like Black people have given it all, So why can the gun lobby come in and make demands of an incoming administration. The religious right can make demands of an incoming administration. People who are sucking against stem cell research can come again come in and make demands. But black folks who built this motherfucker, we can't come in and.
Speaker 4: Like are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Like we ought to be able to.
Speaker 5: Make every demand that we want to. Our ancestors felt this bitch, and we still don't feel well. We're still spilling blood in the streets, and you know, I find it disheartening that sometimes people are like, oh, please, don't ask for too much, and it's like, yes, harness our power. We're not asking at this point, like we delivered you to the White House and this is what we need, and ask for that shit unapologetically with some you know, put it in your test and then make a demand I needed.
Speaker 2: You're basically running for president in twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Correct pass that I would never pass that.
Speaker 2: I hope that actually happened so we could play this episode back for you. Ye I know.
Speaker 3: Lately I stalk you Saturday mornings just to make sure that you're going to be on air or whatnot.
Speaker 1: But when does your day start? And preparing for your Saturday show?
Speaker 5: So honestly, because what's your routine. I'm obsessed. And like I said, I was an executive producer before, so I'm trying to produce myself and you know, I have to learn how to take a break. But really, like Saturday, when the show is over, I chill. I usually go to Rachel's house, like I'm on her patio all day. Sunday, I start reading the papers and thinking about what's upcoming. You know, it's unique trying to find you know, politics and culture and authentic conversation and panelists. So I start thinking through who'd be a great guest. I pull a run together or run down together by Wednesday, So I usually Wednesday and my start around five am. I'm up. I read about eight papers before the sun comes up, and then I spend the rest of the day like this weekend, I know, I want to do something. I'm voting rights and so, you know, trying to find the unique perspective that wasn't covered to death, you know, so like something everybody's gonna talk about, like the Brandan Center for Justice and Policy. I'm wondering like what's more than a vote? Laron James's organization, Like what we're all doing now that? What's Michelle Obama? You know when we all vote, what are you all doing now? So maybe have representatives from those organizations on talk about through the lens, like the celebrity squad voting engagement. What does that look like during an off year? But we'll see it changes every day.
Speaker 1: What what's your preferred uh outlet of information?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: I knew you have to read everything to see what they're seeing.
Speaker 5: So I will start with the New York Times. I always read the New York Times first, and then I go to the Post, and then after that. It's kind of a free for all, so I can read the Hill, I can read the a jac the Atlanta Journal Constitution.
Speaker 4: This is deep because you live in d C. And you ain't mentioned the Post.
Speaker 5: I did, I said, New York Times, then the Post.
Speaker 4: Oh, I thought you meant the New York Post, but you mean.
Speaker 5: The Grio and the Route Michael Harriet at the Route is amazing, is amazing the Atlantic. You know, I could take a time to read a think piece in the morning. There's also a blog that I love it's called Angry Asian Man, and it's pretty much like everything happening in the Asian American Pacific Islander community. But it's like hip hop, pop culture, politics, and he assembles all of this. I've had him on the show before, so I like reading his stuff. You know what's going on with to other communities of color, Indian Country, to know what's happening with Native Americans. Because I try to make sure all these voices are represented on the show. I will never My goal is to never do a show where the voices of the rising majority are not reflected.
Speaker 4: Like rising majority. That sounds so much better minority. I like that.
Speaker 5: That's actually I've removed minority from my lexicon. I don't say it. By twenty forty four, we will be the will be a minority majority minority country. So we are the rising majority.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like enslaved people, not slaves exactly.
Speaker 5: And words matter so much.
Speaker 4: Language, so much language, you guys, I want to.
Speaker 5: Be in person, it would be so great, you know.
Speaker 4: And holiday? Can you do the drunk Holiday show with us?
Speaker 10: Are?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm gonna be offended if I'm not invited to do this.
Speaker 2: Let's go to DC.
Speaker 1: We're going to d C, like John or maybe the pandemic will be over.
Speaker 2: Now wait if.
Speaker 4: Mayor that's the question, Well when will Fonte come out the house?
Speaker 2: That's the question of summer twou it. Let's go Toda's house. Come up, like you said, you know you do this out on the old Man, I'll do. We'll be out. We'll be out back on the we do it on the deck, the grill.
Speaker 6: Even if I'm even if even if I'm vaccinated, even if I'm facinated.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I mean if we're all vaccinated, then I think we'll be cool.
Speaker 8: But I'm just saying under regular COVID life, Yeah, we know something out on the back, I throw some real we.
Speaker 1: Can do has suits nice?
Speaker 3: Wait tifth So if times are different, would d C still be your home base for recording the show. I'm only assuming that a majority of you do the DC home based thing because of where we are now with the pandemic. Because I used to see everyone at thirty Rock in New York City doing their shows, and then.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a studio here, so I have a I don't shoot from home. I actually go into our studio here. So yeah, this is I love DC, like I, you know, my whole career, I've been between New York and DC, but this has always been my home base. But I used to spend you know, two weeks at it's out of the month in New York. But no, thirty Rock has enough studios, and because we're a political and culture field, they and we built this brand new, huge studio. They want to get used out of that space. But I would think I would be in New York a lot more, like if they want to be to fill in for somebody or if it's a meeting, Like I still think I would have come up there a lot more had it not been for COVID. I used to complain all the time about give them that a sella you know, being at Penn State, and now I miss it. I miss it a lot.
Speaker 4: Some of us used to fly from the West coast to the East to do a podcast, and I dare say I missed that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can see that. I can see that. I miss strangers. I miss sitting at a bar, you know, next to people. I miss uh, running through airports, all of it. I'm just ready for the world to open up again.
Speaker 2: Man, That's that's great. I don't miss any of those things. Yeah, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: The only thing I mean the two week of the most unsentimental motherfuckers I've ever met, Like, not the things that I missed something or anything that you have to miss with great.
Speaker 8: No, I was gonna say so, the only thing I miss is that I would like So my goal for twenty twenty one, but I would consider a win is if at the end of this year, if me and my family can have Thanksgiving, like if we you know, like maybe like five to ten of us, if we can gather you know what I'm saying, if we all vaccinate whatever, and we can actually be in the house and just have a meal together. That's about all the people I need. I'm with you right now. How can I miss you and I'm sitting there with you hug and well, well yeah, I mean yeah, we'll hug. But yeah, I'm totally cool with quests, brings, remaining mobile, this is great.
Speaker 2: Ship is amazing.
Speaker 8: Quarter the coda, I got a mic like the Quarter except there and Patrick Swace and Patrick Sway.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, madam. That's all.
Speaker 3: Speaking of which, why why did I watch uh Dirty Dancing for the first time last night?
Speaker 5: Well, the first times, weird ship watty dancing, you're a cat person.
Speaker 1: There's so much going on, dirty dances, like one of them films.
Speaker 3: It's like one of those classics where you felt you've seen it, but I don't know if I've seen it. Like I believe that I've seen it elf in a complete setting, but I don't remember every sing else. It's dirty, but no yo, like I had thirty years later that I don't think that film is aged well because none of them ships have aged well.
Speaker 2: Bro, none of them.
Speaker 3: Them trying to explain like they're they're like easy underground dancing, like not one of them mentioned like we stole these moves from Harlem, Like the music all the way up, you know, in the music there's like to say that there's there's drum machines and like the songs.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wait, isn't this nineteen sixty three? Like yeah, what's the.
Speaker 4: Want?
Speaker 2: I don't think you was even a thing in.
Speaker 3: Like it was nineteen sixty three and there were so many rules broken in I'm like, how did America adopt.
Speaker 2: This movie as there?
Speaker 8: I think it was just the time. I think it was just the It was a moment because so it was dirty dancing. And then we had the other white people America moment with.
Speaker 2: The Lombardi you remember the early nineties.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like.
Speaker 9: An array of white people dance movies that break all the rules, all the rules of everything true, but of time.
Speaker 2: Big t.
Speaker 5: It wasn't a dancer. But watch that movie.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying Jessica album it's wait.
Speaker 1: The was off faul too.
Speaker 2: Seriously, it was nobody was going to fucking Lombarda. Yeah. The Hispanic people were doing that ship. That was like because it was that movie.
Speaker 8: It was that movie called The Forbidden Dance Jeff Speakman and like it was like the guy he was like a fucking math teacher and like but he danced in the club at night. And then the ship ended with like this math competition. It was like dirty dance and meet Standing Deliver meets.
Speaker 2: La Bamba.
Speaker 1: Lovada was the Forbidden Dance.
Speaker 8: That was another that was another well, it was a forbidden dance. That was the name of the movie. It was called the Forbidden Dance. And that was the one about like the math teacher that like the dance it was, Yeah, it was there was that other lean on Me esque.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: The Principle, like the Principal where.
Speaker 2: He talked them how to dance? How excited looking up? I used to watch it.
Speaker 3: Oh god, he was he you don't remember, Like Guru was a thug in one of these, like from the Wrong Side of the Tracks, like one of them films in which John Claud van Dam.
Speaker 2: Was like, oh teacher, that.
Speaker 4: Supreme, that one.
Speaker 2: I don't remember that one in the universe.
Speaker 8: These were all the movies that used to come on HBO, like when I would come home and like just you know, Latchki kids just waiting for to show up, and like I would watch that and like the movie that I will still watch no matter when it comes on.
Speaker 2: I will watch The Top of the Bottom Roadhouse House. I watched shank to but Road of the Mind always on, Enemy Mind with Yes, it was always on. That was a weird movie. I didn't watch. It was scary, Okay, he was it was alien it was the thing was Tiffy. What was your eighty eighties joints to come.
Speaker 4: Yes, Yes, and they gotta get out Yeah tops all of them.
Speaker 2: First one, the first one, the second one was like and then the third one was just like, okay, why.
Speaker 4: Disney World Wonder World.
Speaker 3: Uh Fante, Yeah, Guru's movie was called it was the substitute to Schools Out.
Speaker 2: I remember the substitute. I never saw the sequel.
Speaker 9: The guy from Terminator was in the substitute, wasn't he the substitute the guy who played Terminator two?
Speaker 2: Think of the same one.
Speaker 1: This one is would treat Williams.
Speaker 8: Williams Williams, Jeff Speakman, and that nigga Michael what was his name?
Speaker 2: Oh my god?
Speaker 8: He was the other eighties dude. That was like on HBO Thursday Night Prime, the Actually it was all it was all the b rate niggas on the movies. You sound like, wait a minute, has made a lot of movies.
Speaker 5: Yo.
Speaker 1: There's a thing called train Ride three, a m urban massacre.
Speaker 2: It's all sounding like winners.
Speaker 4: He was a y p D blues stop.
Speaker 3: Let's have a showing when we go to Fante's backyard slash slash Jesus Christ with anyway.
Speaker 4: Tiffany, you promise you come into house.
Speaker 2: Michael. That was his name, Michael, Michael, Michael.
Speaker 5: You're familiar.
Speaker 1: What's on your show?
Speaker 2: Tiffany?
Speaker 4: Be honest, wait that name?
Speaker 10: I know?
Speaker 2: How do you forget you? That's a lot of names. Michael, Oh god, yeah, oh god, wait, I gotta I see this person.
Speaker 10: Yo.
Speaker 3: You know what Fante Michael Dodakov is the white ver version of who's the black actor that somehow always finds himself that having to wear drag?
Speaker 1: And he was in Joanna Man.
Speaker 8: Migueluel. Are the actors who I know their faces? Do not know their names?
Speaker 2: You know? Yeah? Weird?
Speaker 4: Can I just ask dam MSNBC question before we wrap? Yo?
Speaker 6: Does does Ari Melber ever try to challenge your hip hop prow like? How does is everything hip hop all the time?
Speaker 4: How does that?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 2: Aute?
Speaker 3: Wait wait, I just want to let our listeners know that the way that was asking the question, she was doing the uh the black woman hand thing where goes back and forth back and do the hand thing. There's some sort of startcasts.
Speaker 4: Just I love Ari and Ari in this.
Speaker 1: Hip hop part is very strong.
Speaker 4: And you'll be like, god, damn everything at a verse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just curious if you have one time I heard him and like my friend Bom Thugs always says.
Speaker 2: Boom boom boom boom boom, what what does this have to do with?
Speaker 10: Way that was said out loud? He will always get him pull some that's amazing.
Speaker 3: I swear to God like like even doing like the the uh impeachments, like in you know, the Morning Words of Flavor.
Speaker 1: Flav Yeah, boy, like twice like I was like, okay, all right, we get it.
Speaker 4: He's gonna be mad had him here yet. I feel like I feel his razed man.
Speaker 1: He'll he'll come in in New York, trust me, he'll.
Speaker 5: I don't think y'all.
Speaker 2: He'll be more.
Speaker 5: He has never he has never challenged my hip hop. That would be preposterous. That would be like that would be like Blant Devereux challenging beyond dancing, you know, like it's that lovely metaphor.
Speaker 2: I love with good white people metaphor. Yeah dope.
Speaker 5: It's really a favorite art because I feel like if you start, like, you know, a beef with a person who's better known than you, then you know, so I'm declaring beef with Ari.
Speaker 2: Yeah fired.
Speaker 4: And the beef AT's house and Christmas.
Speaker 5: Artists show too does all the time.
Speaker 2: He gets fatos like a constant Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like, really, I haven't got my invite yet and I've been in that building for twelve years.
Speaker 5: You might not a mirror. If you do ri show before you do my show, I will never talk to you again. To you, I'm just thank you, thank you to you. We gotta talk about Slide in the family Stone. Whatever you want to talk about, you come on and talk about it.
Speaker 2: I will glad we come on.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was, y'all never said that. Y'all just broke in the conversation about Slide.
Speaker 2: Because that's the second film I'm about to direct.
Speaker 5: Thank you. And it was on the GRAM and I saw it and I loved it.
Speaker 1: And she don't follow me on the GRAM show I do.
Speaker 4: But he posts a lot and he writes a lot, got.
Speaker 2: A lot to say when he's you know, hey, man, what you're watching on TV? Tiff? What what you want? What you do to watch?
Speaker 5: I tell you. So I'm rewatching My brother is a truck driver, so he has to like pull over and watch it. And he was like watching the Wire. He's like, I'm gonna watch Sopranos and I'm like, Negro, can you watch some current ship so I can watch it with you? So I am rewatching Atlanta with him watching it, So yeah, I might see one of them.
Speaker 2: He does.
Speaker 5: He loves it. He loves it, and I'm just experiencing it again for the second time. Like Donald Lover like gave us a lot of gems in this show, but he's.
Speaker 4: He broke our heart with that job. He never coming back. Them people gone the season three, but they chasing three.
Speaker 3: Season four are going to be completed. We don't know after that, but you know are yelling? Are they They're they're committed? Okay, so what what's the okay? Because everyone that gives the intelligent, like great answer of what they're watching. But then I also noticed that there's a lot of of of unsavory shows that we've fallen into. Admitted about selling Sunset long ago, and I just recently fell into in the evening Verse.
Speaker 1: No, man, I fell into the worst show of I can't even believe.
Speaker 2: I'm about the mid this on.
Speaker 5: I'm so curious what you're.
Speaker 3: I don't know how damn is that with the preamble just say it. I started watching The Oval.
Speaker 4: Wat you gotta be real black?
Speaker 9: Here's the thing, white people, what's the Oval?
Speaker 2: Watching that sh scandal minus one hundred? It's okay, dancing, moving on? What's there?
Speaker 1: Here's here's the thing.
Speaker 3: So Grace got on me, Grace got on me about my constant slander sland duration of.
Speaker 1: Of oft Perry are are are our savior? Mister Perry.
Speaker 4: You can't just go tall with dog on them because he'd be doing some good stuff.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, And she you know, and I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm running out of shows for lot of people that have been super binging during quarantining, like you know, started off intelligent, watching all the right and then like you run out of options and now you're at the bottom. So I was just like, all right, I'm I'm gonna watch all these Tyler Perry shows. And I skipped the comedies and just wanted to go to the dramas and see what was up. And so I started watching What Watch Sisters last year? And now I'm watching The Oval.
Speaker 4: You watched good for you?
Speaker 6: You know what?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, you know, can you just like give like a two second version of what the Oval is about?
Speaker 3: The Oval is a re imagining of I mean, it's kind of his version of Scandal. It's a white president and his black wife. There are two biracial kids, a black white house staff. But it's like drippeding eighties dynasty.
Speaker 2: Fuck Chris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so it's.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is, Bill.
Speaker 4: You watch want No Piercer first Na, snow Piercer NA. No, really good. I'm just okay because I'm.
Speaker 1: Also watching Snowfall right now.
Speaker 3: I like, Yes, I started Snowfall two weeks ago, so I'm still there.
Speaker 2: But good for you Oval God, Yeah it's I'm gonna put it low on the list, don't. Yeah it's.
Speaker 3: It's but it's one of those things where it's like, you know it's bad, but you're still watching it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's effective, and I.
Speaker 1: Can't get out of that. I can't walk away from.
Speaker 2: You know, I'd like to, but.
Speaker 5: You know, I need a new series, and I'm not so convinced on them.
Speaker 2: Did not build a whole too?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 2: There it was.
Speaker 10: It was.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that. Right now I'm stuck and watching like really bad ship.
Speaker 4: And you've always catch up with some good HBO shows, the cable shows like I Made, Just Made.
Speaker 2: I watched that Woody Allen Be a Pharaoh doc. Have you watched that yet?
Speaker 9: I watched the Yeah, motherfucker, it's a total rethink of everything you think about that thing.
Speaker 2: Just do it?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 4: I only thought he did it?
Speaker 2: Is it gonna make me think you would figure my judaism with.
Speaker 9: I do not love Woody Allen, and I particularly do not love him after watching his documentary go watch it?
Speaker 4: How do you love Woody Allen? When we have Roan ferroll on here and he even he was like, I mean, you know, I said.
Speaker 2: I don't love I'm like a Jew that doesn't like sorry Jews, Like I'm not into it. I don't get it. He's annoying. He's like, he's like a baby fucking Larry David. Like I can't take it. I can't.
Speaker 4: I love Darry David.
Speaker 6: I love Oh my god, there's something a little sexy about Larry if you keep oh my.
Speaker 9: God, wait, tell me why Larry David is attractive, Tiffany, Go, you have ten seconds.
Speaker 5: Go because funny, because because he's honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, your turn.
Speaker 9: That was lame.
Speaker 2: Your turn.
Speaker 6: Because he's honest, he's awkward, he's funny, and he's still tall.
Speaker 2: So he's me.
Speaker 4: Actually yeah, actually perfect.
Speaker 10: I just wanted to know what I thought I knew'body, You're not awkward.
Speaker 2: That is the first time I've ever heard that in my life.
Speaker 3: All Right, Tiffany, we I feel like you, you actually might be stuck with us. In the beginning, I was like, that'd be funny. At a seventh person to the show, im.
Speaker 5: Volunteer, as I thought, this was my audition with the PR people, and an audition we start, we start with like.
Speaker 4: Maybe once once a month, you know what I'm saying, schedule too much.
Speaker 9: I feel like it's good to have someone on the show who actually knows what they're talking about, and I feel like Tiffany might be that person.
Speaker 2: All Right, Okay, we're not asking you to marry us, but we're definitely going to court you a little bit on this process in and got a ring.
Speaker 4: I will wear it, all right.
Speaker 10: You heard it.
Speaker 3: You heard it, ladies and gentlemen. We just might and Tiffany cross into the circle of Q. Sean will not be happy about this.
Speaker 4: That's gonna that's gonna cost you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, it's cost me, now, trust me, nobody else.
Speaker 4: Somebody tell Tiffany. People usually start on this show for free.
Speaker 9: Bill tell us, Yeah, Tiffany, I used to be called unpaid Bill, because well, you can you can.
Speaker 2: Differ from what.
Speaker 4: That's not cool Bill.
Speaker 2: I know I had to.
Speaker 9: I had to get my lawyers on it now here I am, you know, four hundred later, it's all happened.
Speaker 2: It is happening. I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it Tony's Grammys and me's bucket.
Speaker 3: Bucket, I got this money, this request love money a man. This is how you're going to get your You got your your, what you got left left for you?
Speaker 2: You got to get Oscar, I don't this year. I'm done. That's it.
Speaker 8: You got your get Yeah, and you guys, this is your because this is what what you got coming, because what's nice is coming with me an Oscar, Let's let's see what happens.
Speaker 4: Says that I got a homie that says that, you know what, I need to catch up.
Speaker 5: I haven't watched some season two of Euphoria yet. Is anybody watching?
Speaker 4: Oh, I gotta finish season one. I gotta finish season one.
Speaker 1: But you haven't watched it at all? Front I saw the season what not the season?
Speaker 8: I watched the episode, Uh, just kind of the bottle episode with her and old boy just at the at the at the diner.
Speaker 2: They just want that little thing that they got it.
Speaker 1: You gotta watch the show first, and then I'm gonna go back to finish one.
Speaker 3: That that that showed to me perfectly explained, like epigenetics and how that affects. Okay, so I mean it's not a spoiler, it's not a spoiler alert, but epigenetics. It's like how you inherit you scientifically can inherit things from your things from your parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was born. She was born on nine to eleven in two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: And because they had the television on for four days in a row, it's very much possible that those four days of constantly ingesting that bad news and that that that terror turned her into the person that the problem person that she is an addict now yea, and yeah, it explains it. I how you recommend you know what else Tiffany on the show because she can wrap up a mirror.
Speaker 2: See, it was like Rodley and Trauma. We got it, we got it, thank you, said Tiffany. Will you please take us, ladies. This is another episode of course of Supreme on behaf of Light.
Speaker 3: Unpaid Bill. Wait, Bill, you had another title. I forgot what we called you?
Speaker 2: Oh Fela Kutstein. That was that was Ktstein.
Speaker 4: Our bill used to be in a West African band.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: It's a lot about the people don't know and in step up is Jamaica.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and our future member Tiffany Cross, thank you very much for doing our show.
Speaker 5: This awesome cross connection.
Speaker 2: All right, we totally to like that.
Speaker 10: I like it.
Speaker 5: Tell everybody to tune into my show. Yes, yes, at Saturday mornings ten am Eastern Standard time. We're talking about what you're talking about, and we do it for the culture. So tune in MSNBC ten am. Yes, exactly. Oh and the book Say It Louder, Black Voters, White Narratives and Saving Our Democracy is available everywhere books are sold. And if you'd like something that I did, there's an audio version that I read myself. And if you do watch the show and like what I say, hit me and let me know tweet. You can follow me on all my platforms at Tiffany D.
Speaker 2: Cross and send you something nice because she gets enough bullshit. She reads it all. Don't read anymore the negative stuff.
Speaker 5: Well it's not overwhelmed because I'm not, like, you know, I don't have like millions of people follow me, so it's not overwhelming. You know, it's like one hundred email and like they're all like, oh, we like your show and then three are like, you suck and your voice sucks and your show sucks, and I'm like, people don't like me. You guys, the loudest voices stand out. So yeah, yeah, no, thank you. I love you guys. Thank you so much. This has been may in my night. I feel this is what I would have been doing anyway, just by myself. Do one other thing.
Speaker 6: Tell Rachel, Rachel, we said, what's up? And if you want to catch up, we have Caribbean.
Speaker 5: You know what can I bring and when I come back, can I bring her back? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, all right, I'm bringing her.
Speaker 3: I'm married you officially in now you heard that? All right, you show. Thank you very much for listening to Quest Love Supreme. We'll see on the next PM.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Sugar Steed.
Speaker 7: Make sure you keep up with us on Instagram at q l s and let us know what you think and who should be next to sit down with us.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to subscribe.
Speaker 1: To our podcast, Question Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.