Speaker 1: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the Old Republic, a sol fastion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto cutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to clearing house of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 2: In the air.
Speaker 3: Every Whey The Fifth Hour with Me, Big Ben and Danny g Radio from Lost Wages, Nevada. A happy, happy Saturday to you. It is the third day of August and a very important day. This day different than all other days. Not because it's National Must Day, not because it's Tom Brady's birthday today or National Watermelon Day. No, no, no, because this afternoon, at three o'clock Pacific time in Lost Wages, Nevada, it's on all this talk the last couple of weeks, all the build up, all the hype, and we're doing it and we'll do it live. We'll do it live. Very excited about the maled meet and greet in Vegas today, so hopefully you'll be there, and I know we'll have some stories and whatnot. Save a lot of that for next week. But we will have a big meet and greet today. It's also sand Castle Day today. I don't know why there's a day for sand castles, but there's a day for sand castle So that's what we had to look.
Speaker 2: Forward to, Danny, That's what I'm going to be doing. My WIFEI and I prepare for Coha's big birthday party tomorrow. After this fine podcast, we're going to go check into the room on the ground floor level at ox Nart Shores. There's like a grassy in front of the bottom rooms. There's a bike path and then the beach and so we're gonna put like the kids games on the lawn while you're in Vegas with all the debauchery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hanging out with the people.
Speaker 2: Will be there, well yeah, well during the meet and greet it's going to be rated PG. But after your meet and greet later today, it's very much an after party and r Kelly type after party.
Speaker 3: The hotel well as the talent. Danny. I will not be partaking. There is said to be several partaking.
Speaker 2: The goal of the war on drugs seems less achievable than ever.
Speaker 3: I will I will not be a party to that. But it is the high today here in Vegas is one hundred and six. Tomorrow is going to get up to one hundred and nine, but to heading back to la and whatnot. But one hundred and six today here.
Speaker 2: Tool while you are in enjoying the air conditioning, I'll be on the sand later making sand castles. Have you ever let anybody bury you on the sand before?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 3: Yeah, my niece is in the sand. Yeah. Yeah. In fact, my niece that just graduated from Charleston University of Charleston there Charlie whatever it's called, Charleston College Rivers. And when she was little, they'd come out from New York and we'd always have like a beach day and her and her sister would bury uncle Benny and they loved it. And yeah, I did sand everywhere. My god, I didn't have swamp ass. I had sand ass. And yeah I did that bury the Benny. What's your go to beach here, Danny? Where do you hang out? Are you a Malibu guy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: We go to Zuma Beach, which is in Malibu.
Speaker 3: Like to hang out with the rich people. I understand you know, you're a big radio guy, Zoom zoom, zoom out with your friends there, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Zuoma. I've always gone to that beach because I know the way in, I know exactly where to park. I know where there's a nice bathroom inside an Italian restaurant right across the street from the beach. So once you have the lay of the land at these beaches in southern California, you know where to go and where to avoid.
Speaker 3: I have been to Zuma a few times. My family, my parents love Zoom. It's like an iconic piece of Southern California real estate if you're a local, but even if you're a tourist, right because Malibu, a lot of people go there to see the celebrities that live out on the ocean there and.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's that guy from the Fifth Hour.
Speaker 3: You can't go near their homes, but there's their beaches, the beaches right there below their homes. So it's very it's very odd.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I saw mister t there once.
Speaker 3: You did he have the chains on on the beach?
Speaker 2: No chains?
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, how long do you think it takes him to put all those chains? He probably didn't do that anymore. But back in the Day Forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know the Receiver Special, the docu series that's on Netflix with some star wide receivers from the NFL. Justin Jefferson is one of the receivers featured, and he has an alter ego Jets. He turns into Jets and he puts on It's his whole routine. He puts like a million dollars worth of jewelry, he puts his grill in, and then he puts these cheap looking sunglasses on as icing on the cake.
Speaker 3: It's over.
Speaker 2: He done, He's he's like these glasses now I'm Jets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you're not here. Fun fact. Fun fact about sand CAAs we're talking about San Caso, the world's highest sand castle was built seventeen years ago at sun Fun Festival in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Is that not a fun fact? Come on, that's the tallest castle. I've been to Myrtle Beach. I didn't see it. It's long gone. Myrtle Beach also the capital the most miniature golf courses in one city in I think the world. I know the United States, but I think it's the entire world. Hey, happy Land, slam Meek.
Speaker 4: Don't get excited, very exciting. I feel like it's a Fullerton, California fact. That sounds like something that burg Dog would come up with. So here we go. We'll start with barbecue and slots.
Speaker 3: With an s slots. Oh okay, yes, So last weekend we got the call. We got the call Hall of Fame something like that. So my mother in law is like, hey, I got a room at a casino in southern California.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: I would like you to you and your your wife, my daughter to go and spend a night at the casino for free. So we're like, so we can have a it's kind of a staycation. We don't have to pay for any other than gas. So let's do it. We did it. Packed up the malamobile headed out to past Riverside, San Bernardino, way out in the boondocks of California, southern California, and we went to Yama Bah. We've been to Yama Bah before. It's a local casino in southern California.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I used to have a different name.
Speaker 3: I think it was San Manuel as it was called before, but it's called Yamavah now amazing. I was just there a couple months back, but it was was wonderful, and we got the VIP treatment as always, and I realized I had an epiphany. They have a barbecue place in their food court called the nine oh nine. It is the greatest barbecue I've had outside of Kansas City or South Carolina. Amazing of all places. At the Yama Va food court, at a casino in San Bernardino, wherever it is there in California. Insane at the barbecue brisket sandwich. It was so good on the you know, the day that I went there and ate it that the next when I was leaving, i checked out of the hotel, I went and got another order to take home and heat up in my oven and home. That's how good it was, Danny. You know how how amazing something has to be for me to get something I know is going to be left overs because I'm gonna have to reheat it.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know.
Speaker 3: That's how good it was. It's insane. So thank you, thank you, thank you. I will be back. I might even just stop off there on my way back from from Vegas here, just to east some of the barbecue. So and if you know any other places, if you're in southern California and you know any of the barbarique places that have amazing brisket. Let me know. Send me an email Real fifth hour at gmail dot com. I've had great barbecue in many cities, but not in southern California. So that's that's my spot of all the places, all the places. And when you when you go there, Danny, you'll go there at some point and you'll eat barbecue. You'll no longer be a virgin, so you'll get rid of your virgin skin at that particular point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the virgin skin in this is about tattoos. I know you have plenty of tattoos. You've got your first one, what in nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they call me Birdman, like that old NBA player.
Speaker 2: They compare me to virgin. Yeah. And I know you have a portrait of lamar Odom on your neck. It's one of our friends, his delusion on. That's a nice piece. I'm not sure which artists did that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, l we call him Melo. We don't call him tomorrow, call hi Melo.
Speaker 2: And then you have his candy jar on the other side of your neck. So you have some nice artwork.
Speaker 3: Well, I actually have on my my lower right leg I have a tattoo of the night that me, Jake Warner and Jason Smith were at Roscoe Chicken and Waffle on Pico and Lamar was in there wall suspended from the clippers for weed and recognize me as he was dining with some friends there enjoying some that was before he became a Kardashian and all that other stuff.
Speaker 2: And some people. You know, you could never your love, your love for your audience can never be questioned. You on your left thigh. Your left thigh. You actually have a tattoo of helmet man with a red on air light above his head.
Speaker 3: I'm actually on the live air. Yes, you're on the Are we on the live air?
Speaker 2: Dude? That's a great tattoo. Now our middle kid. I think I might have mentioned to you on an earlier podcast that he was accepted to the University of Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: Now does he have the tagline down? Because I've been I've been to Norman, Oklahoma before. Have you gone? Have you taken him on a on a tour to Oklahoma?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: So he and one of his best friends both got accepted. So they're gonna go together. They're gonna be roommates.
Speaker 3: So you have to. You have to sing sooner born, sooner bread, and when I die, I'll be sooner dead. But he can't say sooner born and sooner bread. But he can't say when I die, I'll be sooner dead. That party can sing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, we know the whole boomer thing. And obviously he's been getting gear and we've been, you know, stacking up some some sooner gear so that we could try to fit in for Family Day, which is coming up in September. In the meantime, we're giving him a little going away party tomorrow. Besides it being big festivity time for Big Baby Ka, there's another hotel room which is going to be him and his friends drinking illegally.
Speaker 3: Fuck yeah, wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean they're not twenty one yet, but they're college kids now. So what do college kids do?
Speaker 3: Right, Well, you have to get ready for Oklahoma. And my memory, I did one Oklahoma Nebraska game back when that was a big deal. It was actually a year Oklahoma won the national championship, the first one Bob Stoops won. I did a national radio game from Norman, Oklahoma, and we stayed in Oklahoma City because why would you want to stay in Norman. There's nothing there. So we drove over from Oklahoma City to Norman and it was we got up at like five thirty in the morning and we get into Norman and there are people out there just chugging beer at like six thirty in the morning.
Speaker 2: I thought he was exaggerating when he told me the game that we're going to be attending. It's like the big noon kickoff game that weekend. And he's like, oh, kids will be in the parking lot at six am drinking, and I'm like, six am, really.
Speaker 5: Yes, Yeah, I saw it. I've never seen an I never seen before. So you have Bruskis with your scrambled eggs. That is way too early for alcohol for me.
Speaker 3: I didn't see any scrambled eggs, but I did see a lot of alcohol. It was bananas, man. It was what an environment for college football though it's it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm enjoyed.
Speaker 3: It's a great little college town too. It's a really cool little college town.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: He's going to be leaving in nine days from now, a road trip, which you and the Live Radio Show have recent experience with. As you guys road trip to Vegas. What a much longer trip of course, to Oklahoma, two day drive that his uncle is going to help him with, and then his uncle is going to fly back to southern California. So we're getting ready for that. And he's our middle kid. He's been talking about getting a tattoo for a while, and his mom would always tell him, Nah, you're too young, Nope, you gotta wait, you know, sixteen seventeen. She's like, no, you're not ready. And he's like, put my friend on the baseball team and she said, I don't care. He's not my son. You are. You're not getting a tattoo yet. Well, now he's about to celebrate his nineteenth birthday, so I told him, Ben, I said, I have a tattoo appointment next Wednesday, and you could come along with me to get your first tattoo. At first, he was fired up. He's like, yeah, hell yeah, I'm gonna do this, and he was telling his mom and I his ideas about I'm either gonna do my leg right here, I'm gonna do my forearm. And then a couple days ago I reminded him, I said, hey, don't forget. The tattoo appointment is next Wednesday at six pm. I could see the fear in his eyes. What's going on? Are you pulling out? You're backing out? You wouls? No, no, no, I think I'm still good. I think I'm still good for it. So I'm wondering if his virgin skin butt is gonna make it or not next Wednesday, let's take bets.
Speaker 3: Now, what is his plan? Like what tattoo is he get? Is he get like an Oklahoma logo or something.
Speaker 2: I joked with him about that because he's like, well, I'm going to do something simple and not that big. And I'm like, so the ou back piece is out of the question. He says he wants to get He's a mama's boy. He said he wants to get his mom's birthday in Roman numerals on his forearm or his leg. Mummy.
Speaker 3: See that would actually be smart because you said your your wife is kind of like, don't get a tattoo or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, so if he shows up and says, hey, look, mom, how can she be upset? It was like, that's a tremendous honor for the mom, right, I mean, come on, for your wife.
Speaker 2: Well, it's funny you caught that because That was his selling point back when he was sixteen seventeen. The tattoo's gonna be about you, mom. It's like, I don't care. I still don't want you getting ink on your body yet.
Speaker 3: That's great. Yeah, that's a great starter tattoo. And then once he gets one tattoo, well, I've already got one tattoo, so I don't why not more bingo? So I'm wondering, brilliant. Actually that's a smart move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're not wrong. So now I'm wondering. Am I gonna be solo at the tattoo appointment next Wednesday? Or is he gonna be there? We will find out, dunt dundone.
Speaker 3: Now I want to know is Danny G? Are the rumors true on the internet? Is Danny G getting the Covino and Rich tattoo?
Speaker 2: Is that correct? Danny? If they sign a one million dollar contract with FSR, then I'll get a CNR tattoo.
Speaker 3: You're right. No, if you sign a one million dollar contract, you'll get an FSR logo on your arm.
Speaker 2: Oh, if I sign a one million dollar contract, I'll get it on my butt.
Speaker 3: On both cheeks. You get the f The s will be over your butt crack and then the r will be on the other and you'll be like, oh, you know, and my man, you know.
Speaker 2: Rich Davis has actually joked a couple of times on the air that he has told Covino over the years they've now worked together for twenty some odd years, since they were both kids. He said, if we ever sign a multi million dollar deal for a radio show, I will get a tattoo of Covino's face on my butt cheek. And so, why do you think Covino works as hard as he does?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I love it all right, what do we got of it? I gotta mention this London is calling. I did want to spend a moment if you didn't hear on the original Recipe show during the week, A big tip of the microphone the headphones to our p one Femi, who I was lucky enough to meet at the Mermaid in Minneapolis a couple of years ago. Was a couple of years I was last year. I don't even know it all runs together. Seems like it was just yesterday when I got a speeding ticket, got off the highway there in Minnesota, then saw my name on a jumbo tron in front of the Mermaid talk about going from a low to a high. P one who lives in Minneapolis. He's the number one uber each delivery driver in Minnesota. He's a dedicated, hard working man. You talk about perseverance, you talk about busting your ass, he's got that. I love people that have that work ethic, that just keep going right, have that grit, get her done. That's a guy like Femi. And he's supporting a lot of relatives back in his homeland and whatnot. And he's a dedicated fan of our show. So he sends me a message the other night, Danny, And in case you missed it, he's at Heathrow Airport in London on a layover on his way back to Minneapolis. He's at a Delta gate in Heathrow and he's passing out mallor bumper stickers through people at Heathrow Airport in London and on his flight back to the States. And he even asked to get in contact with Terry in England, who's the number one listener to this show in London and in Europe there, and so he wanted to get him one as well. Obviously, as he said, he throws so he can get out of the airport, but Terry did say he wants one of those stickers, and Femmi did send one to my guy Ozzie Waz who listens to this podcast every weekend in Western Australia. So thank you, Femi. You spent your own money on that. I appreciate it. It's awesome. I did want to mention for those that are showing up today to the Malard Meet and greet here on this Saturday, we are going to have a limited edition. I should have mentioned this yesterday but I just forgot about it. But we have a limited edition Ben Malors Show collectible, a key chain, and there's only a few of these that were made. A friend of the show made them. They're not free. There's a couple of bucks, but they will be available today and when they're gone, they're gone. So if you're interested in that, you're gonna be out at the meet and greet today this afternoon here in Vegas starting at three o'clock. Details on social media. My wife will be there. I think she'll be handling all that. But we'll have these little collectibles that you can get if you're a super fan of the show and if you've been with the show a long time. We've had many T shirts and we've had a few other items that have been available for fans of the show, but they're always limited edition, and I always and always I will hear from people that just find the show like, Hey, I want to get something to support the show. I want to wear something or whatever, and I'm like, well, I don't have anything. I mean, every once in a while, we had that Spats with Shats shirt that was popular, a few of those back in the day, and we had the art. I think my favorite shirt was the one from the Mad Clown that had the cartoon drawn. Yeah, all the different characters on the show. That's a really good one. I actually have that in my remote studio. I have that art. I have a few photos up and some art from different listeners over the years, so that'll be available today. Look forward to that. I did want to mention also a melancholy rest in peace to somebody that influenced my life as a child and has gone across the Pearly gates. I've talked about some of my radio influences as a kid. I grew up a huge fan of a guy named Jim Healy. I listened to Hacksaw Hamilton. I actually got to work with him as an intern, learned the business from Lee Hamilton. Joe McDonald who I became friends with, he passed away. Also Howard Stern. I feel like he died, although he's still there. He just went woke. But I love Stern back before he crossed over. Loved his work when he was a shit o jock back in the day. As a kid, and another person that I haven't really talked about, but I used to listen to this guy every Sunday night as a little fat kid growing up and having an interest in gambling, I listened on the radio before the Internet. There was this station out of Vegas called seven to twenty K Dawn and on Sunday night from ten o'clock till midnight, this guy, Lee Pete, hosted the show. Now at least been dead for a while, but he co hosted the show with a sports handicapper named Dave Cochin. And that show would come on Sunday night and they were the first place to get the overnight line for next week's NFL games. They weren't available the internet. This is how long ago this was. This was in the Stone Age, the Internet wasn't a thing, and so in order to get next week's line on the Rams or the Raiders, or the Patriots or the Texans, the whoever your team is, you had to hear this on they called the Stardust Line, and Dave Cochin was was on there and he died this week. He had been battling terminal cancer for a while and there was a couple of great tributes on that I read. I mean, this guy had worked. He was also on one of those I think it was a Jim Feist TV show on the USA Network. He did that for over thirty years. But he was in Vegas from the nineteen eighties on and I remember him from the Stardust Line. I just loved it. And he did local radios. Well he did a show with Pete Rose.
Speaker 2: Oh ok, yeah, so, but I think that's where I know his name from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had a very unique voice. He Actually the funny thing about it is he got upset with me on Twitter on X over years ago over something I had posted, and he was like.
Speaker 2: Upset, It's just that sounds about right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I didn't tell him. Hey, I used to listen to you when I was ten years old.
Speaker 2: Freaking Mallard guy.
Speaker 3: I didn't tell him that.
Speaker 2: But anyway, Now, when you heard him as a kid, was he yelling about he could earn you a boat?
Speaker 3: No, No, he wasn't that. He wasn't one of those guys, all right. He was like he tried to be like legit and all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he was professional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was surrounded by scumbags and losers and all that. And he said he put his first bet over first bet ever as a child on the American Hockey League's Providence Reds when he was a little kid grown up in the Northeast. And he rest in peace to Dave Cochin, a longtime Vegas radio guy and handicapper and someone I listened to as a kid on the radio on that Sunday night. It's always excited hear the Stardust line. Was always like a big deals I knew. I felt like I knew the lines before anyone else. I kind of did, because unless you were listening, and you didn't know the lines unless you were in Vegas. What a different world it was back then.
Speaker 2: Man, he would be so proud of you, you know, if you got to talk to him. Yeah, I don't know. What's going on with the negotiations or negotiations as you call them for your TV show? Because I feel like little Benny, those kind of radio shows planted the seed for your gambling talk on the radio and then TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it definitely influenced, definitely influenced things. And we'll hopefully have an update fingers crossed on Benny versus the Penny here very soon.
Speaker 2: And yeah, we're getting close.
Speaker 3: It's either pooper get off the pot here. Yeah, football kicked off back on Thursday, So.
Speaker 2: Come on NBC. There's more to life than basketball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly. Let's get to the idiom of the week. Idiom of the week, all right, the idium of the week is pony up. You ever use that? You got a pony up?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Come on, you pull me up.
Speaker 3: Pay one's debt? Right, you owe me man? You got to pony up? Well. It was first printed in eighteen nineteen. This is in something called the Rural Magazine and Farmer's Monthly Museum claimed a favored gentleman was walking rapidly into the merchant tailor shops and very slowly out unless they ponied up the Spanish money. However, the phrase is much older than that, even though it was first printed in eighteen nineteen. According to the people over at Grammarist, the idiom goes back to the sixteenth century. It was actually derived from a Latin phrase taken out of the Bible that meant money down, but it sounded when translated like pony up. And they say that is off used and invoked on March twenty fifth. Why is that, you ask, I'll tell you because that once the was the the first payday of the financial calendar year. That's the date when debts were settled, which eventually led to the corruption of the phrase and made pony up the idiom meaning give me money. It's like when you go into Don Martin's office and say, hey, pony up. Man, Come on, man, you got a pony up? Man? You know who I am? You got a pony up?
Speaker 6: No pony up, mister Denver Bronco exactly. We'll get out on that. Have a wonderful Saturday. I'm looking forward to meeting you. If you're here in Vegas three o'clock this afternoon. Can't wait for that. You can have a great time. Say hello, We'll have name tags on. My name will say Ben. So if you don't recognize me from the radio. I'll have my name tag on there. And again limited edition collectible. The key chains will be available tonight. I don't know how many we have. We don't have that many, so when they're gone, that's it. And I don't know that we'll get any more of those. And they're they're pretty cool. So I have one. I have one.
Speaker 3: I have like the first one, but you can have like the second or third one. You're you're good on that. Anything you want to promote, Danny, I know you're hanging out. Baby Coh's birthday, big weekend here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wish I could be in Las Vegas. I wish it was a different weekend. Why did I have to have a kid?
Speaker 3: Well, you'll be thanking him when he's changing your diaper one year old, so you'll be thanking him for that. Nah.
Speaker 2: He's wonderful. He's one of the best things that's happened in my life. But yeah, it is his first birthday tomorrow on Sunday for the mail bag. His actual birthday is on August fifth, but of course we're going to celebrate on the weekend here tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I could say that is his number.
Speaker 2: Man dude and Ben, he's already throwing tantrums. Sometimes he doesn't do it a lot, but when he gets really frustrated, he flails onto his back, rocks his head back into the carpet hard, kicks his heels into the carpet, and you hear a big thump. When I hear a thump downstairs, I'm like, uh uh, I mean, I thought that was terrible too. He's already acting like a two year old. He's a size of one now. Sometimes he's acting that way. So I'm praying that Sunday goes really smooth and there's nothing for him to get frustrated about. He's really good natured. Most of the time. He's smiling and laughing. But oh boy, if he's super hungry or angry or can't find a toy, he's looking for terrible two time, even though he's won.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's like, bam bam, he's on a rampage.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, bam bam, don't do that, bam bam.
Speaker 3: Alright, an outdated references from the flint Stones, who we'll get out of here on that have a wonderful day again. I'm fired up. I'll put my church Clowes On to meet you today. Come by, say hello, thank you for coming here to Vegas. For those of you that have made the trip, the journey, the pilgrimage, and we'll have we'll have details and whatnot down the line, but we'll have a mail bag on Sunday. Sunday, Sunday, we'll talk to you then.
Speaker 2: See you tomorrow for the mail bag. Later, Skater gotta murder, I gotta go.