Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison, and new he Scruggs.
Speaker 2: Players Line brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming.
Speaker 4: Heckma Harrison in the house, Former Cowboys safety Barry Church in the house, Toledo Rocket Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: In the house.
Speaker 4: I'm merely knew he Scrugs helped me this facilitate and get down here as we talk Cowboys with you from Frisco, home of the Star and the world headquarters of Dallas Cowboys s WBC podcast centers where we get down at all.
Speaker 2: Right, guys, we've talked about it before.
Speaker 4: Mike Zimmer, defensive coordinator, what he liked to play with the Minnesota and it's like when he got here, not what they did. So a trade was made with the New York Football Giants for Jordan Phillips six for six, three hundred and forty.
Speaker 2: One pounds, A big boy, big man. That's a big man.
Speaker 4: So one technique he got Mozzie Smith. By the way, nobody's giving up on Mozzie Smith. So we can put that out there. This isn't a you know, Mazie, you stink. This is a hey, we need some more reinforcements. We need some help, and Carl Davis is gonna be Carl Davis is going to be going out.
Speaker 2: So start right now, church with you thoughts.
Speaker 5: Well, like we always talked about, you know, with the carpenter, he's gonna need his tools, and obviously the tools he had in his shit, you know, weren't sharp enough.
Speaker 2: So they went out.
Speaker 5: There and he Carl Larson, come on in here, Phillips, come on in here to if not, if at the very worst, provide some depth over there. So to me, Mike Zimber is saying, the guys in the building that he had in there, which are you know, Mizzie Smith, we long gotta worry about os. I think Osa, you know, I think he's gonna be an outstanding player, that one, right one, Yeah, just at the one taken.
Speaker 2: We need some more reinforcements in there.
Speaker 5: And they went out there and they grabbed a few guys that can go in there, and at the very worst, clog the holes up. And you know, Phillips has been proven to be a guy that can hold offensive lineman from getting to that second level. When he was in Buffalo, he was able to do that. And you saw what Matt Malona was able to do at the linebacker position. He was one of the best linebackers for a while there with the Buffalo Bills before his injury.
Speaker 2: So we've seen these guys. They have the capability of doing just that, and that's what the Cowboys need. They don't need guys that are just you know, Aaron Donald's this, that, and the third.
Speaker 5: They need people to do their job and do it well consistently, not just you know, a flash in the pan here and there. They need their guys to be able to sit in the gap, make sure that that run ain't coming through this gap and at the very worst, that offsive lineman doesn't get to the second level. Because we got speed everywhere on that second level, we got to be able to use that speed. So he bringing these guys in. They're consistent at what they do. They're not flashy, they're not gonna be wow, pop off the tape, but they're gonna do their job. Consistently, and that's what Zien brought in here. He brought some more tools in here to sharping up what he already has, and hopefully the carpenter has what he needs.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: My MIC's not working, guys, so what I'm gonna have to do. We're good now, I agree. And I think we were talking about Zim before and I think you even before in the off season, you were talking about guys like Linval Joseph and the kind of prototypical guys that he Scharie Floyd. Those are the kind of players that kept when he starts making his dish, his signature editions.
Speaker 2: These are the prototypical.
Speaker 6: Guys that he has standing in those a gaps but look man like. I used to work a show with Mickey Spagnola, and Mickey taught me about these free agent acquisitions, and I'm telling you it was I'll tell you a story about how Clinton dis how excited I was about him. Man, I was excited.
Speaker 2: I was like, we got were about to run that.
Speaker 6: Mickey looked at Mickey looked at it, didn't even look up from his notepad when he said he was like, he's a bridge player and not even make the team. You know, And I was like, wait, wait a minute, man, we need the safety and how was nice back in the day, back in the day, And so I was claiming back in the day. And so you know, when you make the feet, when you make the comparison between some of those players and you think about what Zimmer wants, that's when I look at these guys and I say, especially a guy like Jordan Phillips because of his side, specifically what he could do on this defense, that's all we need him for. That's all we needed. And we were talking about that rotational piece behind Manzi because.
Speaker 2: He's gonna need that.
Speaker 6: He's still maturing into the position, and before he gets to that point, you need a guy that could come in there and spell him. Also, with some of the other key pieces that you lost in the off season, you need a good rotation.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 6: Guys like Chauncey Ghoston is starting to turn it around and you start to see him fit into that rotation. But right now, that one tech you just it's a lot of questions around that position, and I think you had to get a guy in here like Phil because they wave Carl Davis, another big body, a guy that kind of fits the same mold of Jordan Phillips. But you just need a guy not to get drove off the ball. And I just look, before I get excited about these pigs, I'm like, look, man, I've seen this movie before. It was The dun Terry Poe, Everson Griffith. I saw that movie, Starry Jerald McCoy.
Speaker 2: Yo. We need we need help up front.
Speaker 6: We need guys that can play the position and the role that Mike Zimmer wants him to. And so I mean, I'm loving this, but I want to see if guys like Carl Lawson still has something in the tank to give you on the outside, or if he's or if I don't know. I don't want to call him a camp body because I don't think that's what he is. But I think he's a guy that you come in with. If you have over expectations for him, I think you may be disappointed.
Speaker 4: Game one the Cleveland Brown Yes, sir, Does anybody remember the last time the Cowboys and Browns played it against each other?
Speaker 2: Oh man sixteen? Was it was brother of forty nine thirty eight games? Yeah? That was that was bad. What do we know? What do we know? It was.
Speaker 4: It was here here, right, yeah, here. So what do we know about kevin'spein he likes U. Let me give you statistics from that last game. Forty carries for three hundred and seven yards and three rushing touchdown.
Speaker 2: I can still see that Odell Beckham reverse. Yes, remember, oh I remember?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, two carries seventy three yards, one touchdown, put the fifty yard touchdown Odell Beckham. Nick Chubb got hurt in that game, and then Kareem Hunt ended up getting some carries, and Hunt when eleven for seventy one, had two touchdowns, but then it was de Ernest Johnson, like who he is? Thirteen carries ninety five yards. They're going game one, Cleveland's going to try to run the football, of course, And that's when I saw the Phillips thing about okay, okay, good. We don't know what you're going to get from Mizzie Smith. We're not on the trust level with Mazzi yet, so there needs to be some more help.
Speaker 2: Carl Davis, I gotna.
Speaker 4: Be the guy, so okay, and let's not be surprised if they make another move. Yeah, as we start to see these cuts here, this needs to be a parcels like.
Speaker 2: Philosophy as they go forward.
Speaker 4: At this one tech is you need to just be keep churning the bottom of the roster, keep on turning.
Speaker 2: Folks need to be at it was Monday in a couple of trials.
Speaker 4: We need to be looking to see a bunch of big boys out here every Monday.
Speaker 2: Can you see some big.
Speaker 4: Old boys every week until you find who can get out here and get the job done?
Speaker 2: Of course, you know, just keep bringing up it. You look like Vince Woolford, look look like refrigerator. Just keep on mind.
Speaker 6: We just say, continue to mine these other rosters, and I mean it like it's mining, going through everything you possibly can. Because Carl Lawson came in, I think they said last week. So again that's a part of of what Will McLay is doing, making sure that he's keeping his ear to the street to find out who's out there.
Speaker 2: I mean, we got to stop the run.
Speaker 6: Everybody knows that Mike Zimmer came in under the pretense that that's the job that I'm here to take care of. I know these guys in the secondary are gonna be fine. Where we're getting beat at is upfront and in the trenches.
Speaker 2: We've seen it.
Speaker 6: You can go through many games last season where the Cowboys just gave up too much. And I'm sorry the playoff game you saw it raise his head again where you could not get off the field. And when your defense, because the way that it was set up through dan Quinn, if you're not getting interceptions, you guys look pedestrian, you know, those big players, those sacks, those interceptions. When those things aren't coming to you easily naturally, man, this defense was dead in the water.
Speaker 5: And when it comes to Zimmer's defense, I mean we look at here. You know the nozcer got Mizi Carl. You know, justin Rodgers all with his defense, you're not gonna have that safety in the box.
Speaker 2: That's just not how how he operates. He does.
Speaker 5: You know, dan Quinn had a lot of that down safety where he's gonna have you know, you know seven man by Yeah, Zimmer.
Speaker 2: Loves to have that too high sell.
Speaker 5: And if you can't stop the running that too hot shell, it's curtains curse. You don't have somebody on the inside that can control that line of scrimmage and let those guys do what they gotta do.
Speaker 2: It's curtains for you because you just don't have enough bodies in the trenches.
Speaker 5: And I don't think he's gonna switch up his whole entire defense to make it a single high defense where you bring an extra guy down in the box. So to me, it's of the utmost importance to find somebody in there that can control the middle.
Speaker 2: You got to when you have a two high system like this.
Speaker 6: That's why you gotta have linebackers all so that can scrape exactly. You know, the guys that can get downhill in the area and the guys that are good tacklers. And Eric Hendrick we hadn't got an opportunity to see him playing live action yet, but it's what we've heard coming out of camp that he is that piece. I mean, you may even be looking at him, you know, compared to what you had last season as an upgrade at the position, because of his football i Q and the kind of player that he is. Look, it is not a secret that this team struggles against the run. You don't get these bodies in here that can stop it. Teams are just gonna continue to do the same thing against you. It's no sense in switching up the formula for the Cowboys, all right, and at the early part of your season, the teams that you go Cleveland after that, balk, I mean the New Orleans Saints, Ravens, everybody's gonna come. They're coming the blueprints here, They're coming with their running game in tow and it's gonna be all about can you stop us? Teams don't even care about all the other stuff. What we're gonna do is load up on this. And that's why the development of Mazzie Smith is so imperative to this team because it gets to the point, as as you said, we were talking about another position, like if a guy don't have it, he just don't have it and.
Speaker 2: You just can't make it have it.
Speaker 6: All right, But because where he was picked, where he was drafted, he's gonna get that opportunity to play. But man, it's just not that that consistency isn't there for him.
Speaker 2: Yet you say that, it makes me go back to old ourselves.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: One of the build things Bill Parcel says say, if they don't bite his puppies, they ain't gonna bite. The gonna bite they become dogs. So so Mozzie's got to show he's got some bite here. He's got to be a contributor. I'm not asking for this man to be Randy White. I'm just merely can you contribute to be out on the football field and help make plays. By the way, we're talking about Carl Lawson who signed with the Cowboys. Paul Gunther is the defensive run game coordinator for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Familiarity right, He.
Speaker 4: Knows him very well, and that to me is that that to me is a very big thing as you're trying to teach your scheme here is Hey, you got guys like Kendricks who's in linebacker spot. Now you got lost and help up front. He can also help other guys have an understanding of what it is that they want to accomplish in this scheme.
Speaker 2: So I like the signings.
Speaker 4: I do wonder couldn't this been done?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Of course?
Speaker 4: Of course, of course called me crazy, OTAs many got me can have these guys in here while back.
Speaker 6: I mean, but that's a fundamental flaw that we've seen play out several times through several different administrations. When it come down to, hey man, this ain't gonna work out, And somebody obviously went into the office and said but fix it.
Speaker 2: We fix it.
Speaker 6: Rich.
Speaker 4: It ain't cutting it right, No, this is it's not cutting it. And I keep thinking of how much now it Arry. Here's a question for you having to play. How much now is your preparation about Cleveland as you're this deep in the training camp.
Speaker 2: Oh, this deepening.
Speaker 5: That's usually when you get this deep in the training camp. The first couple of days or weeks maybe first let's just call it two weeks. You're doing install You're getting all the defense from Zimmer that.
Speaker 2: He wants you to know going into week one.
Speaker 5: From about the second preseason game on, you're not really doing much about that other team.
Speaker 2: You might do a day or two for the young.
Speaker 5: Guys to get ready for that preseason game so they have an understanding of what's going on, even though your defense is gonna be vanilla. Don't show film of you know whoever ex is on the preseason. But the veteran guys, the guys that are going to be starting in those Week one games, or you're doing you're doing research, you're in.
Speaker 2: Individual you're sitting. Okay, this is where he likes to do on third down.
Speaker 5: This is their favorite personnel, first and second down favorite runs, which of this is how they're gonna pull the guards over. You're doing all that to get ready for week one. At this point in training camp, the first you know, week maybe week and a half, you're just grinding it out, doing insall, going against each other, battling joint practices. But at this point, after this second game, it's all Cleveland for the veterans and the starters. And you know, the young guys will get their day here or there to prepare for that next preseason game, but the starters and the guys that are going to be there week one. Yeah, your preparation for Cleveland starts probably after this game.
Speaker 6: So even coming into this second game, Barry, for you as a defensive guy, did you care anything about the preseason getting yourself, getting your body ready prepared for the season, or you just like it once it got to a certain point in your career, you was just like, look, I'm good, just get me the week one.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when early on being undrafted, I was, you know, every preseason, I need to do this.
Speaker 2: I got it right.
Speaker 5: But you know, once I got established as a starter and els I became a captain, and I was like, man, look I just need to be healthy, you know, like I wasn't really going up for balls in camp, like trying to bat balls down. You know, if the receiver went up for it and you got this, I ain't gonna jump up with you. Gu that's how you twist ankles and getting all that crazy stuff. I just wanted to make sure I was one hundred percent for week one, whatever the case may be, whoever we're going against. I made sure I was one hundred percent. So that's how I took it. And once I got to a point. But when I was, you know, first coming in here, Hey, you got a grind and make sure the coaches notice you each and every day.
Speaker 2: That's something.
Speaker 6: And when I look at this secondary and you talk about the cover two shell, I think that we have two of the best tacklers at the safety position playing here, all right, Hooker and Wilson Hookers feel tack I mean, I just I think that's one of the things that you feel so confident about about playing a scheme like zim Er has and so not seeing these guys in any action. You know, hey, do we you know, are you worried about that? When do you think these guys need to get some time.
Speaker 5: Like Hooker is at the point in his career where he's a constant evet, so he understands he's had enough action out there. When it comes to Wilson, you know, I'd like to see him, you know, get a little bit of action you're in here. I mean, he's a beast, Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: He's a beast.
Speaker 5: He'll come downhill knock the snot out of you. But with this new system, he's still a young enough player to wear.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: You gotta get some work in there, so we'll see. But Hooker, that's that's a different story. I mean, he's a bit all right. Let's get our first break in here when we come back. It was nice to see a couple plays from this one player Cowboys former pro bowler in action yesterday as the Cowboys and the Rams got after it. Heck, Maherrison is here, Barry Church's he have new starts displays lounge bought to you by Aristocrat Gaming on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance.
Speaker 2: To be named the twenty twenty four Fan of.
Speaker 1: The Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Fan of the Year, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Hey, they're Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 8: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, A Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred gambler that's one eight hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapped.
Speaker 9: The Presscott, who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 3: He escapes left.
Speaker 2: He'll run for a first down.
Speaker 7: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 7: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping.
Speaker 2: The Jack Black playmaker is four of.
Speaker 8: Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lifball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP to the players lounge.
Speaker 6: The creators of Buffalo Casino Games brings you cowboy theme casino games developed by Aristocrat Find America's team on and Off the Reels Now at a casino near you, do you have a gambling problem, please contact one eight hundred gambler for twenty one and over.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Heck Maharrison appreciate that very church here.
Speaker 4: Former Cowboys safety Ne Scruggs players, I was brought to you, as he said, aristocrat gaming.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: The early line, by the way, has Cleveland as a two point favorite at home at the stadium. But yeah, so they get back. Not not promoting gambling, but you have to.
Speaker 2: Have a problem. We got but if you wanted to know Cleveland by two, they say it right now, bread crumbs, just be calling me.
Speaker 4: I don't do it. I won't be gambling. I'm just letting you know right now. This is Neuis said it. This is what is being said. Is normally your home team is gonna get three, you know, right out the gate.
Speaker 2: But you know that could shrink. So we'll and of course we'll see as people get get healthy.
Speaker 4: Cowboys going against the Rams again yesterday over at Oxnard. Trayvon days are two picks and I'm I'm happy for him. It is good to see him coming back. Clearly they have worked out a fantastic plan to get him back at the proper way healthy.
Speaker 2: To see him make two picks getting ready for the season.
Speaker 4: You take digs, you take bland man.
Speaker 2: Yes, but those two those two corners on the outside man dangerous.
Speaker 4: Oh if if your if your D line could stop the run, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: If if hopes and dreams, hopes and dreams.
Speaker 4: But with those two guys out there, all right, I I if you can stop the.
Speaker 2: Run, this could be something good. But those two.
Speaker 5: Guys, that sounds it's like somebody sliding that that hope you unpacked.
Speaker 2: A little bit. Man, I don't know. I don't know because I still got you know, them off that what this D line gonna do?
Speaker 5: I gotta see what this D line gonna do? Because it's great if you can get teams in the third and eighth and tens sure where they're gonna have to put it up in there, and you know you got the secondary that can that can hold it down.
Speaker 2: But the teams are sitting there, you.
Speaker 5: Know, third and threes, third and two's, third and fours like because it's a lot different because you're not last year quarterback. To sit back there, five step drop, try to find somebody open while Parsons is breathing down your neck, while the Marcus Lawrence is breathing down your neck.
Speaker 2: Third and three is certain tunes. That's easy, quick slant here, run there.
Speaker 5: So I love what we have on the outside when it comes to the corners and that slot corner as well with Jordan lou the safety everybody. I love that second level. If the defensive line can come to play, then we then we cook it with grease.
Speaker 2: But if the run game continues the rear, it's ugly ahead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that it's just gonna be frustrations over and over again.
Speaker 2: CBC. That's that. That's that. That that your football knowledge, right.
Speaker 6: We just had to did a whole segment on the defensive line, and we're trying to we're trying to fan it out and get a little bit of praise on the secondary.
Speaker 2: But you're just not gonna allow it.
Speaker 6: Are You're not gonna You're not gonna You're not gonna look real, You're not gonna let the good vibes.
Speaker 2: You know, you can't create no good vibes in the studio. I'll feel you. I mean, I'm with you on that too.
Speaker 6: I just think that one thing about last season, I thought that Deron Bland just showed you, you know, look how dynamic that secondary can be based off. I mean, five nine pigs, five touchdowns and I for me, I was sitting there going, man, what you know, tray Von that's his What would tray.
Speaker 2: Vonn have done with that?
Speaker 6: And and now these two playmakers on the field, I absolutely love the way that they're the approach that they're taking with Trayvon Diggs, you know he is and Mike McCarthy will never get credit for the way that he manages his players. Uh and this in this in this staff obviously medical staff, Britt Brown and the job that he does. But it's just one of those things where you need your playmakers. Now, you need your guys, and maybe that defensive line will that the defense line will definitely save you and make life easier for you. But if these guys can cover and look get interceptions, I think that changes the whole dynamic of this defense period. But you can't be in those situations where it's thirty one thirty three and expect to be successful.
Speaker 5: One thing I will say about the secondary as well, that could be an interesting dynamic going into this year. You got you know, Bland over here, you got Diggs over here, both outstanding at what they do. They're gambler type corners. You never want to take that away. You never want to take that away. You always want them to have that gambler mentality. But what last year, which you had was Bland who was the gambler, but you also had that guy in Stefan Gilmour on the other side, who was just mister consistency technician. If you need me, hey, Bland, struggling on this guy, let me slide him over there, and he's gonna let he might not get a lot of picks for you.
Speaker 2: But he's gonna lock that guy down the outside. So it's just gonna be real interesting.
Speaker 5: And I know it's a different system and different you know, you're gonna have too high safety, so maybe they keep everything in front of them, but that's just really you know, you got two gambles on the outside. You know, it's a lot of double moves, all of situations like that. You know, I want to see how it works out. I just want to see how same for the most part.
Speaker 6: I think for the most part the other night, Zimmer state in zone for a lot of the game. He did stayed in the zone for a lot of the game, and I think that these guys have a different skill set where they can fluctuate and do both. Last season also with Gilmore, he just allows you to play quarters in different sides of the field because you knew what he was going to do on his side. I don't know what I'm more interested in is what version of digs we get, you know, Trayvon coming off of it. I mean, everybody's going to be looking at it. Trust me, Cleveland is going to trust that. They are going to test at ACL. They want to know if you still got that gambler mentality in you, if you're going to break on that ball the same and once the tape gets out, then other teams will start going, oh, okay, he can't do this anymore, or he still falls for this. And so that's where I started to say, with his talent that he has, maybe you're looking at a guy that may not pull the trigger as quickly as he has been known for. I mean, we know that he sound technically, and to see him in camp getting those those interceptions, I mean that really kind of look that raises your level of hope for him and coming back I got a fresh pack.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. I can't wait for the family re union on the eighth. Boy, I'm rolling it out.
Speaker 4: The great Hall of Famer Warren Sap said it, and I believe in it all day long.
Speaker 2: The back don't work without the front, That's true.
Speaker 4: And so depending on what we see from Jordan Phillips, who they made a trade for Mazzie Smith here and especially for Mazie in this next preseason game, when the cut lists come out, every year, we're going to see somebody on the cut list that we're not expecting, or a team is really willing to trade a certain player because they don't want to pay the salary.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just how the league works.
Speaker 4: What will be the Cowboys appetite to possibly make another move at the defensive tackle spot to shore this up? This These are going to be things that I'm I'm very kind of keen on looking at because man, if this, if they allow this to be the reason why they can't play the kind of football they want. Looking at the way the schedules tax up, now, that's not all in.
Speaker 2: That's not all in.
Speaker 4: These two moves are bringing in losson and Phillips showed you, okay, we don't have Steven. You always be fond of this line. I was just laughed at. We like our guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nobody else.
Speaker 4: Does, nobody at all, none of us watching this likeness. So that was just one more proof, like, no, you don't because here you are, you signed loss in and you made a trade for Phillips.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they're done yet. We'll have to see. So this these to me, these are moves that that are going to dictate a lot of the season because how you start.
Speaker 2: And if.
Speaker 4: I remember when they lost this game forty nine thirty eight by the way to Cowboys scored twenty four and fourth Cleveland took it to him. It was deaf Con five. Remember it was early in the season. This was game four. This is game one. Cowboy fan naturally just thinks, you know, it clean beat Cleveland. And so if it's not that way, you know, we know what's gonna be around here.
Speaker 2: Oh it won.
Speaker 4: What's gonna be around here? It is, so so we know what they're gonna do. So gotta stop to run here right out of the gate, and you got a bunch of other teams are gonna want to run at you.
Speaker 2: So anyway that that that's just.
Speaker 6: My I think the difference is between dan Quinn's defense and you saw this a lot in the in the playoffs, where guys were so in a hurry to get up the field, they were getting trapped, blocked on the backside school you know, out of the hole, just ran out. This is I think Zimmer brings in a style of play that's going to really compliment some of the personnel that he has. Some of those guys were just really reckless and what they were doing and just leaving open those gaping holes, and you don't want to obviously, you can't have that, uh this season. So I look, I'm looking for that to be the difference in this defense, but also guys that can help michaelh be the best that he can be, because I'm telling you, if he can terrorize at the line of scrimmage, that changes a lot of that.
Speaker 2: All Right, you stopped the run.
Speaker 6: You stopped the run, and Mike is terrorizing at the line of scrimmage, then you're just second.
Speaker 2: Half of your defense. Let's get another break. Let's got another break. Anything, ask you a question, a tease? Barry has a big question.
Speaker 4: Man thoughts coming up the dallaskaways, Dot Conrad.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bowld unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion, reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at nflshop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 6: I'm Cowboys alumni Danny mccraig here with Smoothie King, asking what's that sound. That's the sound of me sipping one of their Powerpacksmoothies with over ten grams of pro team with real fruits and organic veggies. Because they's Smoothieking. What you see is what you sip. So grab a delicious Smoothie King Smoothie, throw a straw in your job and gets sipping real Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Hey, their Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 8: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino game developed by Aristocrat. A Proun sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys Gambling Problem. Please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one hundred gambler that's twentyeight hundred gamb l e r for twenty one over.
Speaker 9: Raising Caines presents the other rules of football. Rule one, Any broadcast without the express edition of cook to Order Cane's Chicken Fingers is prohibited. Rule twelve no crinkled cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of Caines when it comes to winning game day. Caines rules Raising Canes Chicken Fingers one love Go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: To the players loude Cowboys Nation twenty twenty four.
Speaker 6: Dallas Cowboy Chaining Camp presented by American Airlines is here. Head to Sonny, Oxnard, California, for from now through August twenty first to watch the team practice. Admission is free. For more information, visit Dallascowboys dot com slash training camp.
Speaker 4: Alrighty, heck Maharris a preseason game number two Saturday night.
Speaker 6: And last man there, bring me a ticket to that game? Man, you could have brought me out the Vegas do.
Speaker 2: Then they've so that Saturday seventeenth.
Speaker 4: Then they practice Tuesday August twenty twentieth, and then August twenty first. Then they got their other preseason game against the Chargers. Then Cowboy training camp comes here to Frisco. So training camp dates August twenty seventh. That's Cowboys Night. August twenty eighth is the season kickoff ceremony. So there you go, there you go, uh twenty seventh, I missed down one?
Speaker 2: What you mean?
Speaker 4: Except man any night, oh Cowboys, he collected my BA you collected Cowboy broadcast team is up for a lou of them slew so and then you got a couple of people like Kyle the Omens already won. He's already got one in the bag as so as Isaiah stand back. So he got two more coming, you know right, they potentially have more more coming. So you go get your statue. So anyway, there's a bunch of people next right, all dressed up.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get you an Emmy. You aligned for Amy, not this year, not this year. I'm trying to get me on that. Why let's get them? Yeah? How many do you have? Now? Do you remember fourteen? Right? What is it? Sixteen? Don't do that newly.
Speaker 4: I swear that he's not about me. Guys, you got a question, I don't, little fool you. Arry has a question. We tease the question.
Speaker 2: That's your question these emmies.
Speaker 5: Anyway, when we get so baksally, the question was you know what the book is gonna bring to the table, Michael Parsons, You know he's gonna get triple double teams, all that good stuff from what we have on the roster now, including those additions that we just made for the Cowboys. Do you see the rest of this defensive line being able to windows one on ones? Because last year you had Foiler who was able to do so, you had Armstrong were able to do so as well. Olsa did his thing last year. He's still around. Do you still believe that you know these guys can win their one ones because we know Michael's gonna have all that attention. They're not gonna let them wreck shop. So do you think we have went on this roster to be able to win those one on ones?
Speaker 2: Get pressure on that quarterback? Man?
Speaker 4: This is that's a really really good question because you need your one techniques to come through. So you know Osa is sitting here with one on one. Yeah, I believe Osa can get something done. So this is this is such a team the question you ask is such a team related deal such a team related dealer. They've got to play well together and at the same time too, How How do Zimmer and Gunther come up with the proper scheme to get it done? Dan Quinn did a great job of Okay, this is what I have. How do I make it work here? I'll be interested to see how they can do that, and maybe we'll see a little bit more in the Raider game because against the Rams they didn't do a whole.
Speaker 2: Lot a lot of blitz and stuff like that. So you ask a dang good question that I'll be very happy to see. Okay, what happens. What happens? You guys do it? Great question. Now, guys like.
Speaker 6: Guys like Tomorrow and overshone really give me hope when I look at him and what his skill set and his abilities are. You know, when you mentioned those names the guys that we lost that went on to the commanders, I know that you know Dante Fowler was that gadget guy. I mean, you k knowe what you put him in the game for what he was the pen your years back get after the quarterback. I think Armstrong probably is the bigger piece that you're trying to replace because he was a bit of a twiner. He could do more than just think one thing. And so you look at Chauncey Ghoston and also filling in that role. You know, Look, man, when you go back to the scene of the crime and green Bay and you look at what green Bay did to scheme up on Micah, you ask yourself where the hell was everybody else? You know, because if your velcrod on blocks can't get off and Jordan Love is just sitting back there patting the ball and finding whoever he wants, you know, I think that's where the hesitation comes in because you're saying yourself, look, how did y'all get any better? Because the guys that y'all bringing in a definitely not any better than the guys y'all just had. So, I mean, like, to your credit, knew it that is. That is a great question. But I think you have some younger guys in a piece liked Marvin Overshawn that you can use along with Micah that can apply that pressure off.
Speaker 4: So so Church bumping off what he just said, how much should we expect from a guy who, while he's here two, missed all of his rookie season, didn't play a snap in the regular season. What's the baseline of what we should truly expect from a player like Tomorrow and Overshawn that has missed.
Speaker 5: I mean, man, that's just so many different examples of guys that have you missed that whole rookie season, and it came out the second year super hungry and performed well above the you know what people thought. But then there's also those examples where you know that first year heard them and he never really got that confidence back. From what I've seen from Overshawn throughout trending camp and preseason is this is a guy that's hungry, this is a guy that's he wants it. You see him, he pops off the tape He's not just going through the motions out there, sticking on the blocks.
Speaker 2: He's trying to make plays out there.
Speaker 5: So to me, you know, I see a guy in overshowing that I think he's gonna he's gonna reach over what people believe that he can do because he just I just see the hunger out of him. I just see that his want to, his explosiveness off the tape, and that's a guy that that you want in a foxhold.
Speaker 2: That's a guy that you want to go to war with.
Speaker 5: So, you know, I think Overshawn definitely is gonna gonna overreach what a lot of people believe that he can do this year. Yeah, that's the delayed gratification of a player that you wish you've got an opportunity to see last season. And I'm with you on everything that I see from him in camp. He's he's moving fast, as Mike McCarthy says, he does everything fast, you know, So you need that kind of speed and this defense never lacked for that. They just didn't have those other pieces to get stops. We didn't have that other piece.
Speaker 6: When teams found a way to slow down Micah, who else was gonna step to the table and oh, by the way, we still have DeMarcus Tang, Lawrens and so. And I'm not and I'm not looking at him to be that sack leader, a guy that can get out and do all those things. I just think that he is the glue when it comes down to this defense, and he understands exactly what this team needs. You need another playmaker in that interior and a guy just like Micah that that can apply that pressure.
Speaker 4: How much can we really ask from a guy who's been doing this a decade now? His best football is going he's already giving you his best football. So so realistically, that was it.
Speaker 2: Four sacks that he had last year?
Speaker 4: So heckman, what do you realistically think we should be expecting from from this from from tank Lord?
Speaker 6: Now, if we get a double digit sack here, I think we will be ecstatic, but we're not. Pay don't bet on it, don't don't bet on it. I think he could just be a guy that's consistent in helping you stop the run. And that's what he's been showing you over the last couple of couple of years. And it's that it's that maturity as a player when a guy loses one thing, he incorporates another and say, look, my jumper ain't what it used to be. So I'm gonna go down to the paint and I'm gonna get rebounds and I'm gonna get these these layups for you. I think that's where DeMarcus Lawrence is in his in his career. That but that once that step that he had on the outside. Maybe he's a step slow, all right, but I still know that his ability to help stop the run and again be the contonment leader that you need on this defensive line.
Speaker 2: So that was my way of kind of avoiding the question.
Speaker 6: But in a sense, I still believe in his leadership and I believe in him, you know, obviously still being able to play at a high level and at his piece.
Speaker 5: And that's to me, is why there's so much pressure on Kneeling to show up. You know, these young guys on the edge to show up, because if they're not playing to where you know Zimber wants them to play, then you're gonna throw more on the plate of a DeMarcus Lawrence who's in year eleven, and you may ask him to play, you know, five to ten snaps more a game because these other young guys aren't where they need to be at and over the stretch of what seventeen games adds up on a vet, that adds up on the vent.
Speaker 4: So just looking at just sacks and I know there's more to football than that. And Tank Lawrence has been praised for his abilition to run game, but he had four sacks last year.
Speaker 2: Sam Williams had four and a half. Jonathan Hankins had three.
Speaker 4: Big hank olsa Diggi Zoo had three, Dororin Sorstrong had seven and a half.
Speaker 2: They're talk about tackles for loss. Last year Tank had ten.
Speaker 4: And so I say this in terms of if we're just being realistic and we're talking about football players, He's an older player. This is a hard sport and at some point in time, and I think this has been for me one of the problems.
Speaker 2: I think through the years, Jerry has held on the guys too long. If DeMarcus Lawrens.
Speaker 4: Played in New England had probably been gone, but the Cowboys keeping guys around here. So to me, I'm looking and I'm asking the question, realistically, what should we expect from a veteran player like DeMarcus Lawrence? If the young kid they got from Western Michigan your second round picking, if he can help balance this thing, that could be better. But to sit up here and ask Tank Lawrence to be what he used to be, I think you're fooling yourself. And that's not a shot at the young man at all. He's he's given the Cowboys a lot. But a certain point in time, you got to say to yourself, Hey, when do we admit to ourselves the players.
Speaker 2: Not who he used to be? And that's that's just what it is. And so how do we realistically look at I mean, you know last year Tank Lawys had double D D sack twenty eighteen, Yeah, that's a minute.
Speaker 4: Okay, twenty nineteen, five, twenty twenty six and a half, twenty twenty one, three, twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Six, last year four.
Speaker 6: But NOUI did you have a look at your look at yourself and did you ever say to yourself that DeMarcus Lawrence is a sack specialist. I don't think that that's ever been the thing that we put on him. He's never been that as a player.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 6: But also when you start evaluating this this roster, we open up talking about two guys that we bring into a roster that's already hurting for talent, and how you need to continue to turn in mind to get other guys in here that can actively be a help to you. I think DeMarcus Lawrence, even with the number of years that he's played in the league, is an asset to you as a defender. We're not cutting on the tape and seeing d law get you know, Scoop reached up out of the hole that that's not where he is in his career. So talking about him in a way, and maybe that's not where you're going with it, but like he's a he's being gifted his spot.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: Maybe let me put it this way.
Speaker 4: In the basketball terms, people saw, you know, saw Clay Tops and I with the MAVs this year, I said, don't look for the old Clay. Look for Clay who can come in here and supplement Kyrie Irving and Luka Daci anyone. If you're thinking about old Tank Lawrence, Pro Bowl guy ten second, that's not that player anymore. Can he be a part of a road tation and other guys that can help you. That's what I'm looking for him. And so that's where I kind of go to this thing of people. We got Tank Lawrens, which he's an older player. Yeah, and it gets a point time where you know you're gonna have to to get the best out of him. You're gonna have to limit his snaps as well, and it's going to have to have other people help out to get the best version of the player. I think dan Quinn did a really good job with Foler and how he used him as a starter man. That guy can't go out here, but he put him in the right places and he was able to make plays. And that's my thing with Zimmer. How are you going to utilize the Marcus Lawrens if we're trying to use the markeuts lords like old time? No, you know, Klay Thomson can't be no splash brother anymore. Those days are gone. And that's kind of my thing. There's just how do we realistically look at Tank Lawns and how he can help this football team?
Speaker 2: All right, guys, this is fun.
Speaker 6: So Monday we're back, Monday, Monday, Friday, Monday, Friday.
Speaker 2: Came out Monday. There you go, good shows, You sit in the chair, you go ahead, do your thing.
Speaker 6: You know, I will I'm waiting on the Emmy. The Memmy is gonna follow. Let me sit over there enough times still sixteen he used as a doorstop at the doorstop.
Speaker 2: Now he got there. Let people yeah.
Speaker 6: Hold.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club