Speaker 1: Pushkin previously on deep Cover.
Speaker 2: Was an all out onslaught of police cars, helicopters, cars in front of me, cars behind me, blocked in, weapons drawn, and I knew that it was over.
Speaker 3: This is Detective John Bradley Guess in three point eight, one of the Saint Louis County Police Department Bureau Crimes against Persons. The person being interviewed is Donald Keith Giamanco, and I know what was wrong. I'm very sorry for it, and I'm really sorry for anybody that I scared or thought I might too harmed too.
Speaker 1: In the day days after Keith Giamanco's arrest, news of the Booney Hat bandits spread. The story got picked up by the local media, and soon it became national news. Keith's daughters, Elise and Marissa, they had no idea how to handle all of this. They had no lawyer, no publicist. Their grandma Margie was still around, but she was only able to help so much. They were essentially just two seventeen year old kids on their own. Reporters began arriving at the Giamanco's small ranch house in Florescent, Missouri, and a small crowd of them gathered out front Marissa says this was the last thing that she needed.
Speaker 4: It was a mess. I was just like, why do they want to talk to me? Talking isn't going to help the situation that I'm in right now. This lasted for days, to the point where one of my friends came out and was like, you guys need to leave.
Speaker 1: In a phone call with their dad, they talked about this. Keith told them that he'd been approached by Good Morning America. He suggested that they do one high profile interview to appease the press and maybe engender some sympathy, put a human face on the whole thing. But he told the girls in the end it was up to them. Here's how Elice remembers all this.
Speaker 4: We agreed to do the interview, and they set up two cameras in the house and they told us to cry. I remember that. I remember that more vividly than anything is before the tape started rolling. Both times they were like, if you can.
Speaker 1: Cry or give.
Speaker 4: Any sort of, you know, sympathetic emotion, it would help, you know, the audience be more sympathetic with you, And tears really sell.
Speaker 1: I've thought about this moment a lot. I myself am a father with a seventeen year old son, and I've tried to imagine a situation where my wife and I are out of the picture, and my son is alone in our house in a rather desperate situation, with no one to advocate for him, and some TV producer is telling him that the best thing he can do for our family to engender sympathy is to cry for the cameras. And I got to tell you, the thought of this leaves me deeply unsettled. I've watched the Good Morning America interview. In it, you can see Marissa and Elise sitting side by side in their living room. Marissa is in this dark, long sleeved shirt. She looks uncomfortable, like she doesn't really want to be there. Elise is dressed up for the occasion, doing her best to look all grown up, in a gray turtleneck in a blue jumper style dress. The reporter asked the twins to talk about Keith. Here's part of what Elise said, what.
Speaker 4: The loves of his life. He took the role of mom and dad. You know, he was working, but he was also doing our laundry.
Speaker 1: She's then asked how she feels about what her father did.
Speaker 4: He's my Robin Hood. Yeah, you know, take from the rich, these banks a greedy and give to to better the betterment of their daughter, his daughter's lives. But at the same time, you know it's wrong.
Speaker 1: That's the TV reporter there telling the girls that they must know that what their father did was wrong.
Speaker 4: Elise responds, hmmm, he wanted to do this for anybody else, but hus, yeah, I can't believe I mean that much to anybody.
Speaker 1: I kind of winced when I heard Elisa's comments about Keith being like Robin Hood, But then I reminded myself these girls, they were just seventeen years old, under extreme pressure to answer for their dad's choices. In this same segment, the reporter also interviewed Keith in jail, with a glass partition between them.
Speaker 5: Life was pretty normal, suburban life.
Speaker 3: We went to baseball games, family vacations.
Speaker 1: Keith comes off as much more composed than in his confession, but his explanation is pretty much the same. He was in financial trouble and he did this for his girls.
Speaker 2: Why did you feel the need to go thus far to support them? Basically to afford them the lifestyle that they've always had to send them to the school that I was sending them to.
Speaker 3: So they could wear the clothes that they always wore.
Speaker 1: The public reaction to all of this was swift and brutal. Online viewers of Good Morning America made posts just fuming. One wrote, I hope the silver spoon he's been feeding these spoiled brats with chokes him and his daughters. Keith and his daughters were effectively vilified. Keith claimed that he had robbed these banks for his daughters for their benefit, but his actions had precisely the opposite effect, upending their lives, and in some ways his explanation only made it worse, because in the moment, it robbed them of what they needed most, the sympathy of others. Back when Elisa and Marissa were kids, they had what seemed like a storybook childhood. As the girls grew older and their parents started to fight, they realized maybe things weren't perfect, but at least at that point they still had parents, parents who paid the bills and set curfews and came to school events. But now that was history. The two sisters were suddenly on their own, and soon they'd face some very tough choices, choices that would drive them apart, leaving one of them in the darkened shell of their house all alone. I'm Jay Calpern and this is deep Cover The Family Man, Episode four, The Downfall. In the days and weeks after his arrest, Keith was held without bail at the local Saint Louis County jail. He began looking for a lawyer to represent him because his story had garnered so much attention, some lawyers actually reached out directly to him, eager to grab a chance to make a name for themselves, because whatever the outcome, Keith's case was bound to make headlines. For Marissa, the more rebellious sister. Keith's arrest was traumatic, of course, but in a strange way, it was also liberating. Before the arrest, Marissa had experimented with drugs, but suddenly there was no one left to reign in her impulses.
Speaker 4: As soon as Dad was out of the picture, like I kind of went buck wild because there was nobody that I had to report to. Basically, you know, Dad was the person that was like, Nah, you're not going to go out with those people. Well, no, you're not gonna do that. Like so without having somebody to put me in my place. I went pretty crazy, you know.
Speaker 1: Her sister Elise, remembers this as the time that their relationship really started to pull apart.
Speaker 4: At the time of my dad's arrest, Marissa and I were hanging out with different friend groups, and we had been arguing quite a bit. Which were twins, were siblings, that's normal, you know. I was starting to sense that she didn't really like me as a person, Like we were just incompatible as friends.
Speaker 1: And part of it was this Their friendship was under real strain. They were worrying about their dad, their future, and the sudden pile up of financial problems they'd inherited. Another tension was that the two sisters they split any of the money that they got from donations, and their priorities on how to spend this money were quite different.
Speaker 4: Marissa was starting to get into drinking, and she's smoking cigarettes and you know, experimenting, and I was off put by that. I was so nerdy, Like I literally told people I was waiting to smoke marijuana so that my frontal lobe could develop, like until I was like twenty five or whenever.
Speaker 1: All of this came to a head when Marissa made a purchase that her sister most definitely would not have endorsed.
Speaker 4: I had bought a pound of weed, and I was pissed off because it wasn't really good, Like it was way less quality than I thought it was going to be. And so I was like, you know what, screw it, Let's just have a party and smoke a pound in one night. So I invited everybody I knew and had a rolling contest and was like, who can roll the fattest blunt?
Speaker 1: Needless to say, a pound of weed, even substandard weed, will really do a number on your frontal lobe. And this was kind of the goal. The party got off to a rollicking start. It had the PlayStation set up in the living room, everything plugged in around the big screen TV record player going music blasting, someone singing into the microphone. A slip and slide in the kitchen is a slip and slide. Everyone's smoking weed. Like imagine if Costco sold oversized blunts and someone had bought a thirty six pack.
Speaker 4: You could see the smoke rolling out from underneath the door. If that's One of my friends came up and was like, hey, you can literally see smoke coming out of this house. Just to let you know, And I was one of those people that's like, bring the police. What else do I have to lose right now? Type of thing. But the police didn't show up until later. But because somebody crashed a car, this guy that you know, everybody's you know, irresponse. One person has to ruin it for everyone.
Speaker 1: You can still hear this seventeen year old in her blaming the whole bus stop on the one irresponsible guy who just took it a step too far.
Speaker 4: So this guy decided to steal my friend's car while she was sleeping and then wrap it around a pole down the street. So at five in the morning, the cops are on my door and they're like, hey, do you know anything about this? And I was like, oh my god, that's Tatum's car.
Speaker 1: Tatum is not happy about this, but you know who else is not thrilled. Take a guess, uh huh a lease.
Speaker 4: I believe that she stopped by at some point in that night and was fairly disappointed. She was not happy.
Speaker 1: She most certainly wasn't. Here's a lead.
Speaker 4: I remember going over there to get some of my stuff while the party was going on, and we got into a fight.
Speaker 1: Like a physical fight.
Speaker 4: Yes, like a physical fight, and because I just felt so disrespected. I felt like, you aren't keeping up of the house. You're you're feeding the walls, you're burning the walls, You're doing a slip and slide on the kitchen floor. Fine, cool party, but every day, the reason the house isn't being taken care of is because you are not doing it.
Speaker 1: Alice says that even though the night ended badly and she was upset, sure beyond that, she really worried about her sister and was doing her best to keep things under control.
Speaker 4: For me, my main priority with Marissa was to keep her safe, even though maybe she didn't see it that way, because I can be a little bossy, maybe a little maybe she sees us controlling, But for me, my main priority was to keep us housed and to keep us safe.
Speaker 1: Marissa says she gets why her sister was frustrated.
Speaker 4: I feel like she had my back, but I don't think she felt like I had hers, and I think that's a very valid feeling that she had. I feel like I was very lost where she had more of a head on her shoulders at that point, she honestly probably felt like a mother figure to me.
Speaker 1: But the truth was they already had a mother. She'd been absent from their lives for years. She'd moved out when the girls were twelve, and they'd rarely seen her since, except for strange moments like the night she showed up and asked them to pass the vacuum cleaner out the window. But then, in the middle of this tumultuous senior year of high school, as the girls were struggling to hold everything together, their mom returned. Becky Giamanco, that was Elisa Marie's mother. When the girls were little, Becky had been active in the PTA, a leader at their church. She kept an immaculate house, made gourmet meals, was always there for the girls. Then, around the time the girls were ten, all of this started to change. Becky and Keith began to argue seemed like all the time, and Becky started going out at night to the local bowling alley and to other places as well, though the girls didn't know exactly where. Eventually, the girls came to understand that their mother was struggling with drugged She moved out of the house when the girls were twelve. There were visits for a while, special times set up for them to see mom Becky got an apartment where they visited her, but then she lost that apartment. There was no place for the girls to have these visits, and their mother kind of slipped away. They didn't see much of her again until late two thousand and eight after their dad's arrest.
Speaker 4: So she calls like she needs to come and comfort us and be with us, and then we see her in person, and then she ends up eventually moving in for a little while.
Speaker 1: That's right, their mother moves back in with them.
Speaker 4: I was excited, also naive. I thought, here's a little family reunion. Mom can come back in. We have a provider, or at least some comfort, even if I still have to be like the provider, caretaker or whatever, at least we have Mom here.
Speaker 1: Elise was holding on to a fragile hope, but she was also clear eyed about her mother's condition.
Speaker 4: Mom was in the throes of her addiction. She was on heroin during this time. She was definitely unwell, and I knew that. But I also know that no one heals in isolation. And so I'm here like, maybe this is what she needs to get her shit together? Is her daughters need her during this time? Right now? This is her moment to step up and shine, and.
Speaker 1: It started off promisingly enough. They had Thanksgiving together. Their mom invited a friend, a guy dealing with homelessness who she knew from the streets. He took a shower, cleaned up, and then the familiar choreography of the day made things feel almost normal. They set the table, turned on the oven, the scent of roasting turkey filled the air. Their dog Lucky poked about, and for a moment, the small magic of the holiday smoothed over all the cracks. But that didn't last. According to Elise, their mom was soon using heroin in their bathroom regularly. Meanwhile, Elise is playing the role of the provider, working at Banana Republic, paying the bills. And then one morning Alise swings by her bank to make a withdrawal.
Speaker 4: And lo and behold, my bank account is overdrawn and I did not get out any money.
Speaker 1: She goes into the bank, meets with the bank manager and he confirms that someone made withdrawals from her account and offers to pull up the videos so they can see who it was.
Speaker 4: And he showed me the surveillance tape and he's like, do you recognize this? Person, and I'm like, oh, that's my mother.
Speaker 1: It doesn't take long for a Lease to figure out what had happened.
Speaker 4: She took my bank card out of my purse, knew my pin number, and took all of my money out of my bank account, overdrew me, and then went back to my house and acted like nothing had occurred.
Speaker 1: At this point, Alise knew what she had to do.
Speaker 4: I went back to my house and I told my mother to come outside, and I told her that she had to leave, and that she was never welcomed back there ever again until she figures her stuff out.
Speaker 1: Alise says that right there on the front lawn, her mother begged for another chance, but Elise was resolute. As she watched her mom go, the wild, outlandish tragedy of the situation started to dawn on Alise. Her parents were both thieves. Her father had robbed a dozen banks, her mother had stolen from her when she was already stretched thin, and now in the wake of these staffs, Elise had lost both of them. When the twins were growing up, the person they counted on and went to when their parents were fighting was Keith's mother, Grandma Margie. She lived close by Elise told me she was like their guardian angel. But during this same tumultuous fall, as all of this crazy shit was going on, Grandma Margie died.
Speaker 4: She was really the only ally in our corner, in our family, and to have that also go away in such a finite period of time was so almost unbearable. And my therapist died. What do Yeah, our family therapist had a heart attack after my dad got arrested. So yes, I definitely felt like I had bad luck. I felt like everything that I touched was cursed, and that's an icky feeling. I was trying to do everything white and nothing was going right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not to make light of it, but if I saw you get on my plane, I think I would exit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, no, that's so I would tell you too.
Speaker 1: Eventually, Marissa and Elise went their separate ways, not for lack of love, it just couldn't keep living under the same roof. Alice started spending most nights with her boyfriend, and she began firming up plans to attend a small liberal arts college in Wisconsin. Marissa stayed behind alone in the family's little shoe box house, with no one keeping track of what needed to get done, the bills went unpaid, and soon the house lost water and then.
Speaker 4: Power, so it all got shut off. You know, I, me and my sister, our relationship ended up being strained because of my drug use and partying, and she ended up going to live with her boyfriend, and I ended up being in this house with no electric and no water.
Speaker 1: How long were you in this house with no electric and no water?
Speaker 4: It felt like a long time. It was probably like three or four months, But.
Speaker 1: Three or four months with no water and electricity, yeah, she says. A neighbor let her use their shower, charge her phone, and fill buckets with water so she could go back to her home and manually flush her own toilet.
Speaker 4: I tried to have multiple buckets so I didn't have to walk over there during different times of the day, so I didn't have to like disturb everybody.
Speaker 1: She laughs now, But at the time it got pretty grim, especially because at this point Marissa was using drugs pretty heavily, including heroin. Living in this shell of a house became untenable. Marissa needed a place to live, and eventually she reached out to one of the few people who might truly understand her predicament, Her mother. During this time, Keith Giamanco was still in the county jail awaiting trial. He stayed in touch with his daughters, usually by phone, and he tried to be there for them it's best he could. One day, he was on the phone with Marissa and she just leveled with him about what was going on in her life.
Speaker 2: She basically spilled the whole thing to me is She told me, I'm addicted to heroin.
Speaker 5: She was.
Speaker 2: In trouble, addicted.
Speaker 1: I can't kick.
Speaker 2: This, And that particular moment, of course, I was just absolutely helpless.
Speaker 1: I have to imagine as a dad, that's a devastating moment.
Speaker 2: Totally devastating. It was devastating to know that you can't be there to help. And I heard all of the well, she would have did it. Whether you were in here or out of here, that doesn't matter when you're a dad, because you think that being there there would at least be a shot at you helping, no matter what the issue is that they're having. Maybe I couldn't have stopped her from doing drugs, but if she was falling down a hole, I could have reached out and grabbed her hand and saved her from falling to the bottom.
Speaker 1: Keith told me that he was also worried about Elie and how she was managing without him.
Speaker 2: It was devastating to see the other child working her tail off to do the best thing she possibly can for herself and proving herself that she can survive anything.
Speaker 1: Keith says that this would come up sometimes when he was on the phone with Elise.
Speaker 2: There were times when Elise flat out told me, what about me? What about what I'm going through? What about all the things that I'm working so hard at and succeeding at, and nobody seems to notice.
Speaker 1: For Keith, all of this reinforced his sense of urgency that he needed to map out a plan, a legal strategy, a way to serve his time and walk away with the lightest sentence the system would allow so he could get released and be there for his daughters. As prosecutors began to prepare their case against Keith, it became clear that there was a out and of evidence against him, and Keith he would soon face a pivotal choice about his freedom and his future, and in the end, he would make one last gamble, coming up on deep cover.
Speaker 2: At that point, I'm thinking, okay, I'd tell the truth and this may not turn out too bad.
Speaker 4: I remember waiting outside the courtroom, full of anticipation, in tension and anxiety that comes with being in a sort of purgatory.
Speaker 5: Can't put that many people in that much fear and not expect to pay a heavy price for him.
Speaker 1: Deep Cover the Family Man is produced by Isaac Carter and Amy Gains McQuaid. Our show is edited by Karen Chakerjee. Our executive producer is Jacob Smith. Sound design by Jake Gorsky. Original scoring and our theme were composed by Luis Gara. Our show art was designed by Sean Carney, fact checking by Anica Robbins. Our story consultant was James Foreman Jr. Special thanks to Daphne chen Sonya Gerwit, Morgan Ratner, Kira Posey, Jake Flanagan, Corinn Gilliard Fisher, Eric Sandler, Christina Sullivan, and Greta Cone. I'm Jake Halpern. Here episodes of Deep Cover the Family Man early and AD free by subscribing to Pushkin Plus. Sign up on the show page on Apple Podcasts or at pushkin dot fm slash Plus. Pushkin Plus subscribers can access ad free episodes, full audiobooks, and exclusive binges of other true crime podcasts throughout the year.