Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Jetty and now he Armstrong and Getty. I have seen the doctor and he has seen me. Famous line from the movie Arthur Wow.
Speaker 3: So I joined the show an hour or two. So here's what I did. Remember, do you remember anybody listening to this show. Remember I was sick last week and part of the week before, and assumed that I was on the tail end of it, as I had been to a doctor and they said it was, you know, sort of thing that you'll have for ten days or whatever. I went ahead with our scheduled trip to San Diego that I had for the family and my son I had started having this illness to and we both got sicker during this trip. So it turned out to not to be the greatest idea to try to go on a vacation uh ill like this. My son has now declared this is the sickest he's ever been yike, which I think is true. I told the doctor yesterday, I said, I'm old, and this is in the top five, certainly of all time. But so when we were landed in San Diego. Both of our heads are full of uh whatever your head gets full of when you're sick, and our ears. I thought my head was going to explode. I thought my ears were going to explode. I've never had that happen before ever. I mean, I've had some ear pain on a plane before, but.
Speaker 2: Never like this.
Speaker 1: And my satary blood on passengers to your right and left right.
Speaker 3: My son was a couple of seats away from He was stomping his feet because he didn't want to yell out loud.
Speaker 2: And make a scene.
Speaker 3: So much pain. He was just miserable. Couldn't release the pressure. Oh no, we never have. There hasn't gone in five days.
Speaker 2: Anyway. Wow.
Speaker 3: He mostly hung out in bed. My other son's perfectly healthy. Luckily he didn't catch it, so God. We went cruising around in a boat on the bay and did all this stuff for a couple.
Speaker 2: Of days, and I was just dying.
Speaker 1: He just absolutely dying, you know, trying to keep the vacation going.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, has anybody slapped a name on this yet or is it just a rest?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Is the only reason I bring it up because it might be something to learn from this, something I didn't know. So I went to the doctor yesterday, same doctor that i'd seen a week earlier, and I said, tomorrow, which is today, will be we a day fourteen. So I've had this for fourteen days and if anything, it's getting worse. It's certainly not getting better. And say they declared that it's so everybody tests you for strip throat.
Speaker 2: The sore throat is ridiculous.
Speaker 3: It's like you're swallowing a razorblade every time you swallow, and it's been that way.
Speaker 2: For two freaking weeks. It's crazy.
Speaker 3: Anyway, they said, everybody tests for strip throat, but there's lots of bacterial in facts like strip throat that don't have a name that they don't test for because they're you know, they're not as popular or whatever. And you have one of those. Yeah, So they gave me, they said, the nuclear option of antibiotics for me and my son, and I'm sure we'll be fine in forty eight hours. But I normally used only for end stage ebol of patients in Africa, bol of patients who have gone a rhea oh both before they usually give you this, Well.
Speaker 2: You're having a bad week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well you gotta choose your mates, your romance is better. Oh boy, oh boy.
Speaker 3: I have tried to power through so many things in my life with an illness, and usually successfully.
Speaker 1: This one did not work on vacation and Sam was dying. I was just dying, just dying, like, how are we going to go to the airport and do security and do this whole thing? How we're gonna do it?
Speaker 2: Was terrible. It's a terrible idea.
Speaker 1: Oh, we stayed on our friend Dave's boat and that was cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, at least that's fairly RESTful. Right, No, there is no resting. Nobody rested.
Speaker 1: Everybody's coughing in parents looking for the positive side.
Speaker 2: Ah wow, okay. So, but because I've.
Speaker 3: Been quite sick, I haven't been following news. Tell me what's the story my hair? If I had and he was supposed to be on fire about today? What am I supposed to be concerned about today?
Speaker 2: Actually?
Speaker 1: I think the headline is that your head is being blasted with the cooling waters of moderation and not on fire. As Trump has come out and said, I have no intention of.
Speaker 2: Firing Jerome Powell. Oh Jerry, are you kidding?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Him?
Speaker 1: We go way back and also in all these tariffs on China, they're very, very high.
Speaker 2: We should probably work out something better.
Speaker 1: And so the markets yesterday reacted with oh thank god and skyrocketed. Having crater in the previous day or two and the whiplash of will he or won't he? What's the official policy has continued. So financially speaking, we're on the downward crest of a waiver or upward. I guess upward is better, so that that's good.
Speaker 3: I talked to a small businessman in San Diego about the tariffs, off to tell that story later, and he's telling me what it was going to do to him.
Speaker 2: Just wipe him out. Really, Yeah, because all this stuff comes from China.
Speaker 1: Did you say anything about how long it would take him or how expensive it would be to retool his supply lines and remake his business for a new world.
Speaker 2: His particular thing of selling stuff that he gets from China. He just wouldn't be doable. I don't think. Okay, yeah, what was I going to say?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Then I did listen to Hi Katie, how are you?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 2: I'm doing better than you, Jack.
Speaker 3: Most people usually are. I mean, yeah, again, that's not much of a statement. Yeah, was I gonna say o, not in general. I'm not joining on with that. That's just that would be abusing a second man I just met. In terms of your physical health, debatable, Yeah, okay, true, I'm just I'm probably probably below average most of the time.
Speaker 1: Somebody's got to be right exactly, just statistically doing a favor to the above average.
Speaker 2: You're a giver, Joe, Stop beating the sick guy.
Speaker 3: We'll stay in the United States of America. To be fair, half of the country is below average. Their lives are going below average, So it's not hard to believe that I'm in that half. I think I can see the line from here like the fife right right. Sure, anyway, I probably have days where I'm slightly above average.
Speaker 2: But I'm supposed to let you guys know that.
Speaker 5: The actual news story of the day is that Lizzo has announced that she's lost sixteen percent of her body fat.
Speaker 3: I noticed when she was the musical guest on SNL a couple of weeks ago. That's not the same a Lizzo as before. It's just much half a Lizzo. Yeah, I was half a Lizzo. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm in the camp of if Lizzo assassinates the president or cures cancer. I want to hear about her, but otherwise no, but that was her whole act was fat acceptance. And look how beautiful I am at this weight. So why is she musing.
Speaker 2: All the weight?
Speaker 1: Probably because it was killing her, because obesity is incredibly unhealthy.
Speaker 3: And then remember she had all those backup dancers who were every bit as big as her, and then she made fun of them for being fat.
Speaker 2: Yes, somehow I got in trouble for that.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for weighing in with that, Katie, No pun intended, right, Scott.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, hey, Well one thing I did listen to a podcast that explained how Trump absolutely has the power too or should have the power to fire Jerome Powell. There is a law that he can't, but that law is clearly unconstitutional.
Speaker 2: And if they fire are.
Speaker 1: We talking about Humphreys Executor Jack, the famous Supreme Court case. I don't know, but as the head of the executive branch and he hires the guy, obviously he can fire the guy. So if that law went to the Supreme Court they would declare it unconstitutional almost certainly. Yeah, the history of that sort of thing, the executive branch starting quasi independent agencies comes from the era of the Supreme Court, where that was like decades and decades long activist lefty court that said, yeah, that's fine, and it is. It is on very slippery and weird ground constitutionally. I'd love to talk to a learned expert on that topic at some point, because it is strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, the interesting thing about that to me was one, I don't think he should fire the FED chair And as you say, today's news is it doesn't look like he's going to.
Speaker 1: It would be incredibly counterproductive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but the mainstream media acting like that's, you know, clearly a dictator move to do that, And then I listened to people who know what they're actually talking about. No, he'd be challenging a law that's almost certainly unconstant. Really not exactly a dictator move. So I don't know the claiming that, how are you supposed to know what's going on?
Speaker 1: I wrote.
Speaker 3: Producer Sean used to say, every news story comes with the homework assignment. Unless you want to do the homework assignment, you don't know what's.
Speaker 2: Happening, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually began the show with the theme being that you generally have two sides pitching. They're trying to litigate the issue and they're completely unbalanced and not looking at it. And we're going to try to bring some clarity today and have some great examples of that coming up, like the war against the universities doing exactly the right thing, maybe in the wrong way, but you know, we'll get to the bottom of that. Also have some great stuff on immigration and the difference in the reaction to the same policies by the left depending whose guy is in the White House.
Speaker 3: It is hilarious. I saw Rubio statement that he's not going to the next peace talks meeting between Russia and Ukraine. So that's not going the right direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah, last week he said he'd go if it looked like there was any point in going, and his decision to not go, mmmm spas.
Speaker 3: And him saying his boss, Donald J. Trump might have other priorities. If this is not working out, so then.
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 1: So one more, you asked what are the big stories of the day. One more that's getting extremely little attention. You know, I want to make sure I'm not lying to you here, as I so often am shameless.
Speaker 2: I'm just scanning. Let's see.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, it is cruelly underreported. And the reason I bring this up is partly because I've been saying for a very long time, and I've been a bit of a lonely voice on this. The question of radical Islam versus the West is far from decided.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it took a bit of a little break, you know, the post post nine to eleven thing.
Speaker 1: But you've got the Huthis and Hamas and Hezbollah and their Iranian proxies, and everybody talks about that and describes them, you know, with words like that, and it's accurate, but their Islamic supremacists, that's at the core of their being, and so much of the mainstream and sometimes even the conservative Ish media is uncomfortable describing them with that sort of term. And the reason I bring it up is yesterday Islamist terrorists killed more than twenty five tourists in India. The number of folks who've died is the count is ongoing, and some folks are clinging to life. More than twenty five tourists in India slaughtered by Islamist lunatics. The attack took place in Kashmir, a region that many in the Muslim majority Pakistan say, is occupied by Hindu majority India and ought to be part of Pakistan. If you don't know the story of the partition of Indian Pakistan among.
Speaker 2: Or along sectarian lines.
Speaker 1: Back in this was it the fifties or the sixties? I can never remember. There's too much history anyway. Just there's bloody history, bloody and horrible and like a perfect example of what happens when you divide societies based on religion or color of skin or whatever.
Speaker 3: I got a good story from being the San Diego Bay to get back into that as Lamas thing.
Speaker 2: Whenever you decide to talk about it, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna use that line for the rest of my life. I can't remember something, you know, there's too much history.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so many people doing so many things. How can you remember it? I told my teacher, that's just so many things, too much history. You're in charge of ending this, all right. We've got a lot of good stuff to come. Hope you can stick around it. See Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for tuning in. See Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 1: Big news on the border, court battles, immigration numbers, etc.
Speaker 2: Coming up in a couple of minutes.
Speaker 1: Next segment, first, a couple of stories from the world of science. We are joined at least temporarily by the co host, mister Jack Armstrong.
Speaker 2: Jack, glad you're here. I saw a scientist yesterday. That's what a doctor is basically, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, in a very real way. Some are better than others. But I got a question. I don't want to derail what you got planned, but I do have this way. Yes, I'm so sick. They finally get me on antibotics.
Speaker 3: If antibotics didn't exist, if I had the exact thing I have now one hundred years ago, would.
Speaker 2: I die from this or what would happen? Be touch and go promatly? I wonder. Yeah, I don't know nearly enough, but there are examples of that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I will never forget this. It still gives me chills. My wife's almost certainly would have died in childbirth giving birth to our first child because of extremely difficult birth. And I won't go into the details, but it was an incredibly long labor and exhausting and it's the sort of thing that people died from without proper medical care. So yeah, I thank God every day for America's medical system is screwed up as it is, and it is very screwed up.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's possible. Anyways.
Speaker 1: Speaking of science and Jack, I'm glad you're here because you are much better at physics and that sort of stuff than I am. I don't even try of realized time. You might as well explain some of the stuff to my dog is to me. But in a potential landmark discovery, scientists using the James web Space Telescope, which is an amazing piece of hardware, have obtained what they call the strongest signs yet a possible light beyond our solar system. They detected in an alien planet's atmosphere. The chemical fingerprints of gases that on Earth are only produced by biological processes.
Speaker 2: I will just tell you very briefly.
Speaker 1: The two gases are dimethyl sulfide also known as DMS sounds like ara and dimethyl die sulfide or dmds a better rapper.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: The idea that you could detect trace gases from light years away using a telescope so blows my mind. I can't even believe it. I don't disbelieve it, but I feel like I'm being told that. Yeah, I've got a pet gorilla. He knows the alphabet up to why we're trying to get him to the end.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's say. I don't think so. I have a lot I could say about this.
Speaker 3: I think it's interesting that since the zeitgeist had turned toward there's no life anywhere in the universe in the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: I think this might just be a coincidence, or I just wonder.
Speaker 3: If there's like a real effort at pushback from the other side of the argument, because the other the no life out there argument had been winning recently for the first time and a very long time. Anyway, go ahead, Yeah, I was gonna say. That's another topic that you had much more experience than me in is the question of grants for you r at universities and scientific studies. If there is life out there, field is dying because a lot of the zeitgeist is going in the other direction. If I'm in that field, I find study as fast and loud as I can keep the funding going. Yeah, see climate change. Now, I don't know that this is what's happening. It could just be, you know, they finally discovered something and the other thing being as listening to a really really smart astronomer scientist dude on a podcast recently talking about how if we ever can discover that there's been any biological life. It goes from there's no life anywhere, there might not be any life anywhere, So there's life everywhere. I mean, because you only need to replicate it once somewhere in space to go with, Okay, it's all over the place. It's got to be yeah, yeah, it would have to be yeah, and in another story that we really don't have time to squeeze in.
Speaker 1: But also at least CAUSEI scientific. For many years during the illegal immigration debate, people have been saying, well, who's going to pick the crops? Well, the answer is increasingly robots. They're getting better and better farm robots stay with us.
Speaker 2: Plus a border update, don't go away, Armstrong and Getty. We're getting them out.
Speaker 6: And a judge can't say, no, you have to have a trial, that the trial is going to take two years, and no, we're going to have a very We're going to have a very dangerous country if we're not allowed to do what we're entitled to do. And I want an election based on the fact that we get them out.
Speaker 1: So there is a lot of cloudiness on this issue if you take in you know, a lot of the media, a lot of ideas being expressed that weren't expressed only a few months ago when the other guy was in charge. And we're going to try to get to some to the bottom of this. But there's no question that Trump's numbers on the border are sky high popularity.
Speaker 3: Wise, So unlike the economy, is two big issues, the economy and the border where he's taking a big hit.
Speaker 2: People are loving what he's doing on the border.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and interestingly, the economy stuff could turn around quickly. I think if he eases up on the tariff plans and the well, he's already said he's not going to fire Jerome Powell, so the markets are heading back northward again. I haven't checked lately, but that's fine. We don't do that minute to minute around here. So I think those numbers could turn around in a big hurry in a way that previous administrations never could have dreamed of, because what was going on was like massive, you know, at least half unavoidable changes in the global economy, as opposed to depending on who you ask, some interesting and creative or ill advised and hasty talk on tariffs. Anyway, getting back to the topic of immigration, Brett Barre on Special Report last night, in his panel segment, had some really interesting statistics that will lead us into a discussion coming up in a moment. The truth the bottom line on old Kilmar Abrego Garcia, the was he or wasn't he? An MS thirteen marilynd father and little league coach who was sent down to Al Salvador, to that nasty prison.
Speaker 2: Anyway, here's Brett bear from.
Speaker 7: Last night, the previous presidents on the migrant removals and the numbers that we were talking about. Here, look at this Bill Clinton over eight hundred and sixty million, two million plus for George W. Bush three million, sixty two thousand for President Obama. There you see the first Trump term, President Biden at sixty sixteen. The twenty seven thousand is from January twenty fifth. In March eighth, it's more than that now. But you look at the non judicial removals from ninety five to twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Significant.
Speaker 7: So, in other words, all of these removals have happened in previous administrations. Each one of those people did not yet a trial or an adjudication in front of a judge.
Speaker 2: Had they done that, we would.
Speaker 7: Still be hearing Obama migrant removal case.
Speaker 2: Wow. How interesting.
Speaker 1: So more than three million by Obama, handful by Biden just because the numbers of people he let in were so astonishing, inflated the number, but it was still a very very low number. But yeah, I thought Brett's point was excellent.
Speaker 2: That's amazing. Nobody's nobody's talking about that.
Speaker 1: Everybody gets, you know, a week's long trial or whatever. It's ridiculous. And then Annie Lynsky, who's the Wall Street Journal's White House reporter, weighed in with a thought that dovetails nicely.
Speaker 8: I mean the number that stands out is really the three million from Barack Obama's terms two terms. And I mean, this is how this issue has just changed so much that everything that Trump does, the Democrats are against. And when Barack Obama was doing it, we didn't see you know, massive marches and hugh and a cry. He removed three million people from this country, and so you know, the politics has certainly changed. I think it's a great example of.
Speaker 2: How the left has just moved, you know, much further to the left.
Speaker 3: There was some hue and cry the left of the lefties, you know, calling him the deporter in chief.
Speaker 2: They were pretty unhappy about it. But it wasn't It wasn't what the mainstream media was worried about. Right, I would agree completely.
Speaker 1: Here is for more historical examples of how the left has just shot leftward. Well, the right has stayed much more consistent on this issue. It's old Billy Jeff Clinton in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 9: Our administration has moved aggressively to secure our borders more by hiring a record number of new border guards, by deporting twice as many criminal aliens as ever before, and the budget I will present to you we will try to do more to speed the deportation of illegal aliens who are arrested for crimes. We are a nation of immigrants, but we are also a nation of laws. It is wrong and oughtimate self defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years, and we must do more to stop it.
Speaker 1: Wow, if anybody claims to you that the case is anything but that the left has moved miles to the left, you know, as many Democrats from you know Bill Maher and there are one hundred names have said I didn't leave the party, The party left me. If anybody ever denies that's true to you, they're either gaslighting you or they're a fool.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely true. That is amazing.
Speaker 3: So that's I don't know what year that was, sometime between ninety five years so.
Speaker 2: Thirty years ago.
Speaker 3: Obviously, even as a Democrat, a criminal, illegal gets booted out.
Speaker 1: Obviously, all right, how could you what's the counter argument to that? The counter argument is you get free healthcare paid for by taxpayers. Well, and that's you know, not to get off on a tangent that could be like a a book. But the triumph of emotionalism over logic on the left is one of the greatest effects that nobody talks about of a lot of the DEI stuff and the microaggression stuff, which was all designed to take over institutions to shame people into silence. Then the neo Marxists can take over the institutions.
Speaker 2: But I feel offended.
Speaker 1: Therefore I'm right would have been laughed at, for like all of American history, all of American history would have said, wait a minute, no, his intentions were fine. It's perhaps you are offended, but talk it out and you need to calm down because he didn't say anything wrong. But all of a sudden, in the last few years, as people like Bill Clinton were left here on the center right saying what the hell just happened, emotionalism has taken over.
Speaker 3: I think the Democratic Party is still more what you just heard from Bill Clinton than what's been going on for the.
Speaker 2: Last several years.
Speaker 3: I just don't know why somebody doesn't have the freaking guts to stand up to the lunatics and be that candidate and win in a landslide, I think.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's the whole problem. If you've got that outward, I don't know what is it. What percentage of the party, thirty percent whatever? Are there the crazy activists and they have so much energy our freedom loving Quote of the Day Jack was from Eric Hoffer, the great twentieth century author, who said, passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus, people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content, not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause, but also by nursing a fanatical grievance. A mass movement offers them unlimited opportunities for both Wow and again the key sentence, passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life.
Speaker 3: And yes, so then is how much is it about the issue or is it just expressing your misery in your life and having someone to blame. Did you see that video I tweeted out about the transact Stavists with the people screaming at some young women who were, you know, against.
Speaker 10: You had this crowd mostly men just I mean not just chanting, but like they were gonna lose their minds screaming at these women. And you look at that and you have to think, how would you ever get that worked up about anything other than maybe defending your own family.
Speaker 1: Because it's not about an issue, it's religious fervor of a cult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's wild. Who would suck down what was? It? Wasn't kool aid? I always try to get this right.
Speaker 1: It was actually flavor aid that the Jonestown cult sucked down. Anyway, everybody says drinking the kool aid, so just go with the flow, Joe, Okay, but how can you explain people sucking down poison to go to heaven with their their two bit would be cult leader, Yeah, I mean cult fervor anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's that's what you saw there.
Speaker 1: And I want to get back into the radicals and the defacing Tesla dealers and that sort of thing in a little bit. But uh, here are a bunch of Marylanders reacting to the deportation of the Maryland father of two or whatever in the Little League coach Abrego Garcia sixty six.
Speaker 5: He was living in Maryland designated MS thirteen terrorists and Donald Trump deported him.
Speaker 2: And how does that make you feel? I feel safer. He gotta go, He gotta go, He need to go. But he was a father, but he's still a terrorist.
Speaker 6: He should have picked the cheese, so he picked to be a terrist instead of worring about his children.
Speaker 5: The Democrats they want him back. They say he was wrongfully deported. He has a wife and a kid who's a citizen. They're calling this a national emergency. Is this a national emergency? I wouldn't call it national emergency. We have more things going on?
Speaker 2: Do we have more things? More fish to fry? What kind of national emergency for? What? What is the emergency for? Ain't no national emergency.
Speaker 1: No, a bunch of white people being racist. Oh excuse me, control rooms trying. Oh they were mostly black people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 1: According to Rich Lowry of The National Review, who is one of the smartest and most reasonable people in journalism, he says Kilmar Obrega Garcia should not be in prison in l Salvador, and he gets into why, and I agree with him, But he also should never have been in the United States and should never have been given relief from deportation. The White House is trying to make the alleged MS thirteen gang member a symbol of illegal immigrant crime, while the anti Trump opposition is seeking to make the Maryland man a symbol of the administration's disregard for due process. What's got less attention, Rich writes, is that his case is an example of the self defeating absurdities of our immigration system, and in particular of how it hands out humanitarian protection. When Abrego Garcia avoided deportation back in twenty nineteen, he didn't take advantage of asylum, which has been a big part of the immigration crisis. He used something called withholding of removal. So asylum grants you a path to citizenship. Departing from the text here for a second, because you know you came from an awful place that would persecute you, and we take in refugees of that sort, and so we will let you stay here and become a citizen. But no, this was just the withholding of removal that just prevents a deportable alien from being removed to a particular country. In a Brogo Garcia's case, El Salvatory.
Speaker 2: Where he is now.
Speaker 1: So he came to the US when he was sixteen years old in twenty twelve. He lived here illegally until he was picked up by the cops in twenty nineteen, put into deportation proceedings. To avoid being removed, he made an asylum claim, sought relief under the Unconvention against Torture, applied for withholding of removal. An immigration judge did not grant him asylum because he hadn't applied soon enough. It was just you're supposed to apply in your first year, saying hey, here's where i'm here, here's why I'm here, and here's why I need to stay.
Speaker 2: He didn't. He just used it as a tool when they finally.
Speaker 3: Caught him, and the she didn't know all this, So they're like lawyers out there who make their living figuring out how to keep these people around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or he's probably a reasonably breaky he figured it out. But anyway, and the judge also ruled that there's no reasonably you'll be tortured in El Salvador. But the judge granted the withholding of removal on some really unconvincing grounds. Here's what happened with this guy, and it's funny. I've read a version of this story many times, and nobody ever explains what the hell of papoosa is. Oh, Brega Garcia claimed that his mother had a papoosa business.
Speaker 2: I've read that half a times. Sort of like an alpaca but with two humps. Yes, no, it half sounds like prostitution. That's not it.
Speaker 1: Either it's the national dish in l Salvador or a national dish.
Speaker 2: It's like having a hot dog stand. Yeah, so she ran.
Speaker 1: A papoosa business out of the family's home, and a gang called Barrio eighteen was extorting and threatening the family. It's be a shame of something bad happened to her papoosa business.
Speaker 2: That sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, of course it would suck it always protection money, they call it, and this included a warning that they would take their twelve year old son if the parents' payments didn't continue.
Speaker 2: If this is true, it's awful.
Speaker 1: Sure it is, but it's not really a good reason to prohibit o Breaker Garcia from being removed to El Salvador years later, because by the time of the court proceedings, the papoosa business had closed. Tell you what, the papoosa business ain't what it used to be, so the occasion for storting this kid by the gang no longer existed. Not only that he wasn't a kid, he was a twenty three year old who was more than capable of living independently of his family.
Speaker 3: That sort of thing happens with people in the United States all the time. Also, though I mean it's not, yes, you know, a revolutionary country or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But you know, if you had to get me out of the hood to my cousin's place in the suburbs because a gang was trying to recruit me at age sixteen, I have enormous sympathy for that situation, But when I'm twenty three, not so much. There's more to the story. We've got it for you to stay with us.
Speaker 4: They are winning because they've secured the border and the Democrats at least the worst border crisis in American history, and Donald Trump ended it in a month. And eighty seven percent of Americans, according to the New York Times poll, show I believe that criminal aliens like this guy should be deported. So that's why they're not just focusing on the legal side.
Speaker 1: God, so a mere eighty seven percent, not even half jack in favor of deporting criminal illegal aliens I could write.
Speaker 3: For The New York Times, Mark Halpern wrote that he can't believe Democrats are.
Speaker 2: Making this their battle Oh.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, and I guess their battle cry is it's a don't make it about this guy, make it about due process. We're actually going to talk to some folks from the Center for Immigration Studies next hour about the due process thing.
Speaker 2: But dudes and d d debts.
Speaker 1: The guy's a criminal, illegal alien gang member. He is not your Rosa Parks, right.
Speaker 3: I realize if you're a lawyer or a constitutionalist or whatever, it's the due process is the issue. But politically, politically, people, the average voter sees okay, an illegal criminal get him out of here.
Speaker 2: Next story. That's it.
Speaker 1: So that was Mark Tieson's voice you heard. Coming back back to the story of kill Maar.
Speaker 2: Poor name.
Speaker 1: Really, if his name was Jimmy or something, kill Maar, it just doesn't sound good. Anyway, the guy who was shipped off to Al Salvador blah blah blah, due process blah blah blah, Maryland father. Anyway, So this guy got a withholding of removal back in the day because he allegedly he was a support sixteen year old who gangs tried to extort into joining their gang. But when this order was giving given, he was twenty three years old and his family's business no longer existed, So the idea that he could be blackmailed in joining the gang was fairly ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Rich Lowry writes to succeed in getting a.
Speaker 1: Withholding of removal, and alien is supposed to that's the legal word alien, Feel free to use it. An alien is supposed to establish a risk of persecution based on his race, religion, nationality, membership in particular social group, or political opinion. How did this apply to Abregio Garcia. Supposedly his family was the particular social group This is a stretch, since the gang presumably would have treated anyone with a popoosa business the same way. And he also points out that there's the fact that l Salvador's president, naib Bukaley, is utterly demolished Brio eighteen.
Speaker 2: The gang doesn't really exist anymore.
Speaker 1: So here we had a man Kilmar Abregio Garcio, came here illegally and had at best questionable associations, almost certainly Emmerson thirteen living and working in the US based on a supposed fere of an all but extinct straight gang and its threats over long closed business, and we wonder why we can't control the legal immigration. Congress should eliminate the particular social group category which is often abused, and we should fundamentally rethink how humanitarian protection works and even if it makes sense to be in the business of granting asylum at all. The Trump administration should not have blown by the immigration judges ruling in Bregio Garcia's case. But that is no way to run an immigration system, right, So they should have shipped them back and dotted their eyes and crossed their t's.
Speaker 2: He's right because, as we were talking about earlier.
Speaker 1: You can do the right thing, but if you do it in the wrong way, the other side can make you the bad guy.
Speaker 2: So you gotta be careful. Right, you're stepping on your own long tie.
Speaker 1: So you've heard many references into due process. Any American who understands the Constitution cherishes due process. But what does that phrase mean, and what does it mean in immigration, and what does it mean with a guy like Garcia. We'll talk to the Center for Immigration Study next. If you can't stick around, subscribe to or podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand.
Speaker 2: You can listen to it later.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty