Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio News, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at some of the stocks on the move today here in Europe. I'm Caroline Hepka with Lizzie Burden and we joined by Bloomberg with Porta Cloma Ley. Good morning. Impost heavily shorted, but now might have gotten actually some positive mail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, it's a big move for Imposts today, which is in the very exciting business of operating parcel lockers. It said it had received an indicative proposal for a potential acquisition of all the shares in the company. It didn't disclose any detail on price or on who the bidder is, but this was exciting enough to really get the shares jumping this morning about twenty percent. So in Posts, as you said, has been one of Europe's most heavily shorted stocks and its shares fell about thirty seven percent in twenty twenty five. But then yes, we had a big boost in the share price, but eleven percent boost because which was seen as a sign that short sellers were closing out some of those bets, so it's been a really busy start to the year for InPost, but we'll be keeping an eye on developments with this potential deal. As mentioned, we still have no detail on price and buyers, so the market will be very interested in that once we start getting some of those details.
Speaker 3: And it seems like the UK retailer Next got it got what it wanted for Christmas, Chloe.
Speaker 1: Why yeah, absolutely, Next did quite well over Christmas, which tells us something quite reassuring about the UK consumer, perhaps given that Next is widely considered to be a bell weather for the UK high street, so it boosted its profit forecast for a fifth time this financial year. Is said that seals were really strong over the holiday period, and that also includes the UK, where growth was expected to be much more muted than it actually ended up being. However, there's always a butt with these things. A Christmas period was strong, but that doesn't mean that the rest of twenty twenty six will necessarily be the same. Next worn that profit in sales would grow at a slower pace in the year ahead, and that is primarily primarily primarily because of rising unemployment. So of course, if we if someone is unemployed. That means that that discretionary spending like clothes is going to be the first thing that goes out the window. So Next is usually quite cautious with its guidance. That perhaps explains how I was able to lift it five times this year. But it's worth keeping in mind that cautious tone and not getting too excited about the prospects for British retail in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah interesting, Okay, So that from Next, which is one of the big High Street Bell Weathers shoes come in pairs and added us So do downgrades. What has happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tidas was double downgraded by a Bank of America. The analysts have said that they expect lower growth for the company going forward, also said that investor interest in that sector was really starting to wane in some what some ways say is quite harsh. They said that the company's and up cycle was old news, so that maybe seems to indicate that the company might not be able to kind of always ride the wave of consumer enthusiasm for its retro sneakers, which was really what I's been driving the growth over the last couple of years. And this comes just a few weeks after Nike, which is obviously the most direct competitor, worn that sales would also take a hit for them with a weakness in China in particular. So it seems that across the board for those spots where stocks there's maybe a lack of catalyst going forward and some weakness that we need to take into account.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've fallen for the New year resolution. I bought a new pair of trainers. You ladies are going to have to keep me on target for actually using them.
Speaker 2: You can never have enough shoes, Caroline. The Stock Movers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 3: Mm HM