Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to the Covino and Rich Podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday from five to seven Eastern to the four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for Covino Rich at Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app. It's like searching FSR. Yeah, I like that. In that intro, says Steve Covino, Google it, Google it. You'll see that I'm a professional soccer player. Is someone I never heard of?
Speaker 2: I did? COVID comes up?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, when you Google me, the first thing that comes up is COVID. Yeah. You gotta get to the end. Then Covino fills it. Before that, everything's COVID. And I think it says I'm worth like a few million dollars, So don't believe everything you read. I think is the moral of the story. Million dollar hairs. Yeah, a few million dollar hairs. And I've never played professional soccer in my life. It's another Steve Cavino. I'm Steve Cavino from Union, New Jersey. Oh, that one from Fox Sports Radio. From the store. You'll see me at Trader Joe's. That's Rich. Davis Moundy g is here, Sam is here, buyers here, thank you for being here. Let's rock out. Yeah, I need just pick me up. The best two hours of the day A getting are Humpty hump on on a hump day. So pumped to be here. Who's sang the Humpty dance? I was, Sam? Come on, it's a digital underground there it is.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Morning. Should know that. Me and a shower this morning. All right, So hope you had a George Lumbard junior sort of night. Just like I said, maybe you should tune in and watch the kid. He made his debut last night. We're gonna talk about it, dude. Plus justin Herbert's in the news. We're gonna talk a little PDA. We'll explain PDA talking love birds here on the show now, piec. Yeah that was yesterday, no heda and it's Wednesday. So Sammy, are you ready for Midweek Major? I am the biggest stories in sports and pomp culture. We decide are the Midweek or Major? Sam gives him to us and Mike, who runs this take, is going to talk more relationships on the show. Hold on, before you start the show. I got to ask Danny g like you came in. I mean, I know the Dodgers like going for lost number six. I can't roll my eyes more at Danny G at our pre show meeting, him and Big Mike were saying, man, the Dodgers could go for their sixth loss in a row right now, and then, to quote Danny G, yeah, man, they would only be eight up in the division. Only Rich, I forgot.
Speaker 3: I forget, hey, I forgot what it felt like to go on a losing street like so no, I dude, I I was feeling for Rich as I watched the the loss last night, because if that's what it feels like to be a baseball fan, I forgot.
Speaker 1: School is probably really sad now.
Speaker 3: But hey, I told you a few days ago that the Dodgers were in a little bit of trouble with the pitching rotation and some of the entries, and Rich laughed at me.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some runs. When school was on the matter, you know, you had a chance to win and you lose bad.
Speaker 3: Okay, Rich, At what point do you get worried? As far as a losing street goes how many in a row.
Speaker 1: It doesn't to me the losing churches, mets, those like twelve, and it doesn't The number doesn't matter. It's the fact that if you look at the baseball standings right now, see know what I would be concerned about if I were you, If I'm a Dodgers fan, which I really should have let my kid be a Dodgers fan. I remember my son's like, I like the Mets and the Dodgers. Dad as by the way, as.
Speaker 2: Then you forced them into Mets.
Speaker 1: Did is it a two run home run? Or is that a double home run? Oh? Might not in a row show. Hey, oh, Tony. But I think what you have to worry about, Danny g if you want to just get nerdy baseball for a second, they got to be the one or two seat. Because the way baseball playoffs are structured is that because there's three division winners in three while cards, that third division winner is technically a wildcard, meaning they just host the wildcard round. Only two teams get that buye. So I think the fail for the Dodgers would be is slump enough where you're not the one or two seed and you have to play a best of three, which could go anyway. That's the way the Dodgers get eliminated. Yeah, the rest of baseball should be like, man, let him be the three seed. That way they have to play like the Cubs or the Phillies or the Padres or someone in Round one, best of three. Anything could happen.
Speaker 3: O Tawny stabilizes that team when he's pitching, because since his last time on the mound, obviously with that knee injury, he's not been pitching for the past few weeks. Tying runs on base eleven the Dodgers if they drop this game, I hope they don't, but they'd be eleven and fifteen since the last time Otani picked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, I'd be a little worried.
Speaker 2: Rich.
Speaker 1: I know it's funny, right, Oh, you're only eight games up. Ooh, I get all that. I get what you're saying, but it's cliche. However, it's true. The bigger they are the heart of the fall. This team has such high expectations that if they get into a slide, man, they're gonna fall really hard, and then the pressure starts to mount, and I wouldn't want to be part of that. Like expectations are through the roof. That's a lot of pressure to play under. So there's no guarantee there's no guarantee. Especially the more they continue to play bad, the more it's gonna be a bigger.
Speaker 3: Deal, especially when Kyle Tucker looks like Confardo out there in the outfield exactly.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I think that's the pressure. That type of pressure, those expectations is why Antony Bolpi got sent down to the Miners. I think when expectations no, it's the truth. When expectations are so high, it's almost impossible to meet them. You know, like, how do you outdo the past two Dodger seasons? How are we gonna do that? Well?
Speaker 3: You know why there needs to be a lockout now next year because of DB's Brewers. They have the best record in baseball.
Speaker 1: They are they're solid, you know, they are good.
Speaker 2: dB and the Brewers it's all their fault.
Speaker 1: How is are you going? You're gonna celebrate by going down that slide and left fielder one.
Speaker 4: The slider's much better when he slid into a beer mug heat Old County Stadium.
Speaker 1: Now it's just they all curly slide. Do you see the clip? Its years ago now of the reporter that did that and like got injured, Oh, David, yeah, yeah, I was like, oh my goodness. But if you look at the Dodgers record year by year, their best statistical regular seasons, they came away with really nothing, one hundred and six wins, one hundred and eleven wins and one hundred wins that had nothing to show for it. The last two years ninety eight wins and ninety three wins, and right now they are on pace for ninety eight wins. They're on pace to win close to one hundred games. And even if it's hard to play baseball, when there's pressure on you and you're playing tight, you know baseball, you have to play confident and loose. That's just how it's played. The tighter you grip the bat, the worst off you are. And I think the Dodgers, for as great as they are, have a lot of pressure on them to again win again. The team got better, but they're hurt. They're not winning the way they're supposed to. I'd be a little worried.
Speaker 3: I saw that last postseason for your Yankees. Yeah, I remember they were gripping the bat. Tell Yeah, they were swimming too hard.
Speaker 1: That pressure's that pressure is real, So I wouldn't really I get it. Rich it's laughable. But if it continues a few more games, I would not downplay it. Hold on sixty nine and forty five they got, they got forty, they got forty eight games left.
Speaker 2: Looks like Alex call moved over to second.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as a wild So anyway, it's the eighth inning Dodgers Cubs and the tying runs on second. Then you put yourself in such a great position which you could credit your early success. Danny. If the Dodgers go twenty four and twenty four, if they play five hundred baseball for the final, you know, forty eight games. They went ninety three games, and that's gonna get in the playoffs. Now, you're not going to be that one or two seed likely, but dude, you're in it. Worry about the playoffs. But again, the world, I hate to say this, Dandy, close your ears. No key k just struck out. The world has to root for the Dodgers to be a three seed. That's the best shot for someone to take down the almighty evil Empire, the Dodgers, because.
Speaker 2: They're the evil Empire. Stop if you.
Speaker 3: They are so well, they're a likable they would be the evil Empire if they had, like really punchable faces on it.
Speaker 1: They're not evil per se, but interesting that they are quite the Empire. But again, but think about it, Empire, they're just a likable team. I'll give you that. If your brew crew and the Braves keep winning at their pace and the Dodgers do acquire that three seed, I know we're you know, a month and a half, two months away, but if the Dodgers don't play on part with the Bruise and the Braves and the Bravos, all of a sudden, you got to play a team like Philadelphia or the Cubs in a best of three, and that's where the Dodgers could get caught.
Speaker 2: Yes, the start of the series, the more likely that is.
Speaker 1: And that's you know, that's why when the NBA had five game series, that was the only time, like a lower seed had a better chance. You get hot, you get lucky. But a best of three, Danny, that's tough it is. But right now, sitting pretty yeah, you're fine. We'll see if he continues on pace to it almost one hundred games. But speaking of baseball, you know Dodgers are playing right now. We'll see what happens. Dan Byer's got your updates. Covino and Rich with Danny g the resident Dodgers fan sam Is on The Ones and Twos. We mentioned it at the end of yesterday's show. It's not about the Yankees, it's not about Anthony Valpy, but I do want to give you the backstory. Anthony Volpi had to replace Derek Jeter. So again it goes back to the pressure. Talk about pressure, just like the Dodgers are going for the three people, but there were guys in between, the d D. Gregorioases of the world. But essentially you're the next name that people. He's the next guy.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: D D was great, but he wasn't Derek Jeter. They touted him to be one of the highest prospects since Derek Jeter. Like he's the next guy. He was a local kid, grew up watching the Yankees. Everybody wanted this story. Good looking kids in town. You watch every day. So I'm not catching you off guard here. What number was Volpi wearing? Oh? Actually, I don't even remember. How do you know you watch? Yeah, I'll be honest with you. Look it up yourself, but I'll tell you this, Okay, those things don't mean as much to me as they did when I was a kid, and he watches one hundred and sixty two games a year. I really, he'll be at a five star restaurant and he'll have the Yankees game on his phone. But he doesn't realize that Anthony Volpi is.
Speaker 2: Number because he only has Mattingly Jerseys.
Speaker 1: Number eleven, number eleven, And I'm glad I looked it up because that meant Ben Rice is twenty two. But do you understand that giving him number eleven was an honor the same way they gave Derek Jeter number two. Because in the Yankees eye rolling history of well the Pinstripes and everyone from the imaginary Babe Ruth to Mickey Mantle to Demaggio, those numbers are all retired. So if you get a lower single digit or like double digit number, it means they put stock in you. There's a you're used to be. I mean, Avery Judge's number ninety. They're not giving some schlub Well that was because that's kitchy, like he wanted ninety nine. I'm saying number one number. You're right, they're not going to give ten or retire. Yeah, they're not gonna give number eleven to uh, their utility infield. Well, it goes with the point. He was touted to be the next superstar, the next Derek Jeter, the next guy. We heard about Anthony Volpi for so long because he was a New Jersey kid, a local kid grew up watching the Yankees. He was going to be the next be all end all for the Yankees and be the starting short shortstop for years to come, like the pillar of the Yankees. Moving forward, reading this rung, he has one home run this year. I was just going to give you stats. He's only twenty five years old too. Forty one home run, nineteen RBI. But again, he was hurt for a lot of the beginning of the year. Still on was his fourth season. Now he had a gold glove. His first year he had some shining moments. But since then it's been like disappointment after disappoint with this guy, and they've done nothing but defend him and give him chances. That's the thing, give him chances. They've given him so many chances, and they've defended him so hard. Aaron Boone was putting so many awkward positions, like he's elite, what do you offer me? He's elite, He's a great player, it's like, yeah, but everybody could see he's struggling. So finally, at trade deadline, the day after him and Jason Domingez get sent down to get option to the minor leagues, and he was a bona fide Major leaguer. It's fourth year in the league. Back to the miners, and they bring up the next Anthony Volpi, the next Derek Cheter, the next highly tauted guy that you've been hearing about for years, George Lombard Junior, which basically implies rich they're giving his job to him, like all right, he earned it. He's now our starting shortstop, and we're sending Volcan Hey, what do we have to lose by giving this kid a look? Right now? So I don't expect you to care, But imagine you talked about it. No, no, no, about the Yankee I mean, well, you can't expect someone not to care. It's about the story. I don't expect you to care about the Yankees. It's hey, we're sending you down and we're bringing up this new dude. If you're bringing up this new dude, he's got the job because the old dude got demoted. That's really it. So George Lombard Junior makes his debut last night. Told you, hey, check it out. Man, been here about this kid for years, and he was really putting the pressure on Volpi. Vopi was here in the footsteps. Not only was he feeling the pressure of New York and the expectations and living in the jeter shadows of the world, he was hearing the footsteps of this kid, George Lombard Junior. In his first game, in his first attempt at a play, he makes a ridiculous double play that Volpi would have never made. He hits a home run and his second at bat, tying the season totals of Anthony Volpi. They got one home each. Okay, cool man. He puts on a show. So it was about seizing the moment, Like you can't complain if you're an Anthony Volpian life, meaning if you really got an opportunity, you just blew the chance. You had your chance, You had your chance and you blew it. You blew likely. Are you really Wally Pipped who had the chance and you blew it? No, Wally Pip's afferent a different example. Yeah, but I've heard Wally Pip a few times, Like I want to make it clear Volpi had a chance. He blew it. Now do we hope he, you know, works it out in the minors, maybe learns a second base or different position, comes back. You never root for any ballplayer to fail, but it happens. Sometimes you just never meet those expectations. I think it's what the Yankees. I think at some point the Yankees made pirates or something, they'll they'll dish him somewhere for like a middle reliever or something a need and maybe nentity. Volpi has an opportunity to go somewhere else and and become who you thought he might have been. But you really gotta seize the moment. It's as cliche as it gets. And this kid had so many chances. So you feel bad anytime a superstar with all his potential fail, But you also have to be realistic and say, yeah, well, you know, they had a pretty fair chance to deliver. And I feel really bad about this, But where there's crisis, there's opportunity. Right where there's failure, there's room for someone else to succeed. And that someone else is George Lombard Junior, And in his very second at bat, his second major league at bat. This is what happens.
Speaker 5: Franking ball, swung on in a high fly ball, well big bleat field, going back, going back, done a home run for George Lumbard Junior, and the parents are going nuts and suns everybody in the ballpark.
Speaker 1: Two nothing Yankees and again his kid looking the part, looking composed. I needed that Lombard support. Yeah, a Miami kid who made his debut in the bigs yesterday and is coincidentally his younger brother also made his pro debut in the miners and hit a home run too. Talk about so the parents watching the one home run of their minor league son on their phone. They look up and their big league kid hits a home run. That was so cool. It's so cool, and it just goes to show you. I mean little sidetracked from the conversation we're having because I do want to talk about seizing the moment, but I don't know if there's anything cooler in the world of sports. Well, that's kind of what I wanted to actually get to. Yeah, is there anything cooler in the world of sports? And seeing parents in the stands at any sport watching their kid get that chance, Baseball just seems to be the one you see the most just because of you know, I guess you would say the dynamic of like, you know, baseball's casual. You see the parents sitting there in the stands at a stadium. You don't get those glimpses maybe in college football when you see like the mom or dad, like Mendoza's family. But for the most part, I feel like baseball is the sport where you do get that beautiful glimpse and a lot of times the sideline sideline, I guess the field reporter a lot of times we'll be interviewing those parents and a lot of times something happens in the middle of that and that makes it even cooler. Yeah, I mean, I have so many thoughts about this, but again, both of their kids went yard yesterday in their debuts. I think in the NFL you get these moments most when and a kid's drafted and then you see the parents show the love. But in baseball, for me, since the draft doesn't really a big deal in baseball compared to the NFL and NBA, in baseball, it's usually like he's making his debut today and there's his mom and dad sitting by the first base line, I like it.
Speaker 4: When they're on the road and the player does something well and then the home fans are cheering for the road kid because they're sitting by mom and dad. It's a close So like if it was a Mets player and they're facing the Nationals, the Nationals fans are still giving them high fives because the parents are sitting behind him.
Speaker 1: Of course, Yeah, that's that is a great moment. And you know, when you think about it, is the reason why baseball is more special Covino, because in the NBA or NFL, when does that moment happen Draft Night? Usually? Yeah. And he made his debut yesterday and came through again, matching the totals the season totals in one game of an Anthony Volpi. And I'm reading the feedback and one guy's a total moron. So I'm not even going to address that. Vince Garcia says, the amount of pressure that Anthony Volpi was under in New York is just tremendous due to the expectations he's trade bait at this point. You know, that's his story in itself. You don't have to be a Yankees fan to think of that person. Where the expectations were through the roof and they just couldn't meet him, and they just never mounted to what you thought they'd be. Well, and it's a sad story. So I rooting for the kid. Trade bait with his stats. I'll give you only twenty five. I'll give you some double bubble on some sunflower seats. I mean, at this rate, you have to imagine that they wanted to dish him somewhere during the deadline, and nobody wanted him, so he got optioned. So speaking of Yankees' lore, though, I do want to mention these things, and speaking of numbers, Rich George Lombard Junior comes out and he's wearing number ninety six, and that's what they gave him, number ninety six some one Jeter one Rookie of the Year. That's when they won the World Series. He hit his first home run in the same place that Derek Jeter hit his three thousand hit as a home run, and his parents were a mixed couple, very reminiscent of Dr Jeter. I'm not gonna lie when I say his parents and he's got a black dad and a white mom. I was like, very much like someone else. He really was shortstop of the captain the Yankees. But the kid had a magical night, and you think about it, it's it's such a weird juxtaposition because, yeah, Anthony Volpi, who's you know, probably at the lowest point possible. So you gotta feel bad for any young guy that just doesn't make it, even though his career is not written. And then on the flip side, Dinny Velpe was not pubped watching that. Yeah, and how do you think the teammates feel like they love this kid Volpy? But now they got a cheer for the new kid too. There's so many feelings going on this time of year. You even said one of your buddies who plays professional sports, the trade deadline and these moves that are made, they are so impactful on your life and on your mentals and everything. Your mentals and your fundamentals, no doubt. So what I'm getting at is this kid made his debut and he sees the moment. Anthony Volpi could not for whatever reason, but when this happened yesterday you could and help but enjoy the moment. Like you said, Rich with the parents, I think there is there anything cooler in sports when you see the family embracing this and realizing that they're the people who drove them to practice their whole lives. I can only I can only imagine the same taughtom the game and everything else. A lot of times at draft night when you see the moms and there's usually like a hot sister or a girlfriend there and people get weird, who's that? But it's usually that's the moment in basketball or football where you're like, man, it all came together. They watched their kid, and here he is drafted. Because in the NBA or NFL, if you're a high round draft pick, you're gonna play in the league the next year. Likely in Major League baseball, you get drafted. You just become part of the system, and that means really nothing, right, So when a kid makes his major league debut, that's the intro to the big show. So to me, I watched that mom and dad in the crowd was awesome in the most selfish way. And I think we all feel this way. If you got kids, you know how much effort and how much heart you put into coaching your kids, sitting in the stands watching your kids play baseball, soccer, flag football, and to know that those parents those feelings must be overwhelming, dude, from the time that kid was five years old hitting a ball off a tee and running to third base by mistake to now you know that that mom's probably like, I've been to every high school game, every summer travel ball like that. It's it's probably like heart wrenching. And you know another weird moment when George Lombard Junior hit his home run. It is insane that Zach Hampbell. Do you guys know who Zach Hampbell is? The kid that made a living out of catching foul balls, the Dabbroni that's caught like thousands of foul balls. He had a glove on it almost he almost got it. It was off his glove. Like the knack that this kid has for being in the right place at the right time, and he gets such flak for that, by the way, is insane. But anyway, it's just the highs of highs and the lows of lows. And that's what makes sports interesting because you feel bad for one guy, but you gotta love the opportunity that the other guy gets as a result. And that's what we saw last night. You'll to be a Yankees fan is my point to understand what I'm talking about or to appreciate those moments. And when you see the family getting behind the kid and everyone's happy for Lombard Junior, that's what That's what it's all about. And he plays again tonight and I can't wait. Well he plays again every night. Yeah, Anthony Volpe's like, does he have to? Well, Anthony Vope's ever gonna play again? Honestly, because I think this is his job. Now. The Anthony Vopia shure stup era is over, He's gonna have to learn second base or just move a lover, or they trade him. I mean, there are guys that if you know, Danny g your team gave new life to a guy that my team gave up on, Like Justin Turner was such a big part of your squad for years, a fan favorite. The Mets had him as a utility guy that they never truly gave a shot to. And you know what, maybe it made me think of where I think Cavino and I want to roll next, which is like seizing the moment. Like what athletes do you think of when it comes to easing that chance? Because so many times I think my favorite are second and third chances. To me, I think one of your favorite quarterbacks, a guy you're watching on quarterback. When Baker Mayfield got that chance to start for the Rams that one game, what did that do? It reminded us that well too, He's a ball of two things can happen. Rich. I don't want to quote your pound, but Rich's friends are a major leaguer. I mean quote him if you want to, buddy, he said Jeff Soupon see what he said. Jeff Soupon saying, like the trade deadline, in these moments, like you, you could be in such a rhythm with you know, family teammates, National League versus americanly you could feel comfortable more if you're in a good rhythm. It could throw off your rhythm and vice versa. Yeah, we could be off rhythm and then get trade all of a sudden, you found your groove again, I say. He even posted on social media he said he was having a one of his best first halfs ever with the Pirates, got traded to the Red Sox of the deadline and just never really found his second half of the season groove because he went to the al new team sort of different role, but the flip could also happened. And you know that's what's interesting about this time of years, Like you're gonna see what players step up, which ones can't make the adjustment? How does the chemistry Danny g back to your dodge? Yeah, I mean like cra is going to be in the eighth Yeah yeah, but hey, who knows. Maybe some of the minor moves they made changed to chemistry a little bit. You never know.
Speaker 3: Remember when Blake Snell joined the Dodgers, his first comment was, Man, the chemistry of this team is crazy. It's the best chemistry, the best camaraderie I've ever been around.
Speaker 1: On me, can I tell you some guys could come on a team and be a lightning bolt and you could even feel it from day one. We talked about DB's Brewers Yesterday that year when C. C. Sabathia carried them to the playoffs and he seemed like the most unhittable guy ever. Yesterday, did you guys see a rise he got, he got a ribby, he turned first base. Yeah, he was fired. I watched the NL way more than the AL being a Mets fan, I seen that guy play a lot and he forced Brice Harbor to get back into downfield, and Harper had a good game too. I've never seen a rise showed that night emotion. He turned to the dugout. His teammates were fired up, like dude, it was awesome. So you're gonna see how people adjust on new teams, and how these teams adjust, and how the chemistry either increases or decreases, and that's what makes it fun.
Speaker 2: I think TV has a quick update on the Chicago.
Speaker 1: Start thinking about seizing the moment, seizing the moment, like those second chances are just rising to the occasion. But an update from dB.
Speaker 4: Final score from Chicago's North Side Cubs seven, Dodgers six.
Speaker 2: Lost six in a row. The sky is.
Speaker 1: And we're going to Danny g for a quote. Cubs go.
Speaker 3: I liked it better when the Cubbies were lovable losers who never won.
Speaker 1: All right in today go Cubs go? All right, we get it. Dandy's thinking, I really love I love La more. You know what it's like though, and this is why I feel like emotional about these stories. It's like if you've ever gone through a breakup or a heartbreak or anything like that, right, you're going through misery. But guess what that next dude, he's on Cloud nine. He's like the happiest dude. Yeah, and that's usually how and that's what happens. You know, you lose a job. Guess what, some other dude is so happy to get that Job's exactly what happened with Wolby and Warbar Junior everything. Yeah, So you're your happiness sometimes or your unhappiness sometimes is leading to someone else's happiness. Well, we got more Kivian one rich and your calls and feedback next at eight, seven, seven, nine to nine on Fox Now. Every sports season built on prep studying the trends, and making the necessary adjustments to reach the ultimate goal. Investing desert of that same approach. With wee Bowl, you have access to real time market data, advanced tools, and an intuitive app design to help you make informed decisions, whether you're actively trading stocks, options, ETFs and more, or planning for the long term for you and your family with iras, cash management and custodial accounts for children. We bol gives you to tools you need to invest your way, all in one platform. Hey look at To take that preparation to the next level, check out wee Bull's learn resources they have an InApp community. They discuss investing trends with twenty five million users globally. And now you can streamline your trading activities elevate your strategy with Vega. That's the AI market Assistant. You're gonna get real time analysis, watch list insights and alertswint earning strop. So get your financial portfolio game ready by downloading the wee bol app today or visiting we bul dot com. We both financial LLC member SIPCFENRA Investing involves risk. For more information, visit wee bul dot com slash disclosures. Hey, it's Rob Parker and Calvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 6: And in addition to hearing us week nights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 1: That's right, you can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 6: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube again YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR, check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 1: Alright, whooa Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. The best two hours of my day anyway. I hope you feel the same. Super fun time is what I call it depends on how you treat me live from the Fox Sports Radio studio. So it depends if you coming in here with a good attitude and her raging bro We're raging Iowa Sam playing the air count Rage against the Machine style Empire. Danny Jis Yeah, Little Evil Empire. That's one of my favorite albums.
Speaker 2: Great album.
Speaker 1: Danny G's on the phones at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. Dan Bayer's got more updates for you in about two minutes, but I just wanted to tell you what's coming up right now. We're talking about against season the moment. No matter how you slice it or dice it, Anthony Vaalpi had his opportunities and that's how you got to look at life like did you have a chance? Did you really? Did you get a fair chance? And they've albably got a fair chance and he got sent down. Someone else gets an opportunity, and George Lumbard Junior in one game seems to be seasoned the moment. I think of this what it comes to like, even if you had a chance, you did something big, even if you didn't keep it, it might have led to something else like that. That's ever women, that's with sports, that's with your career, whatever it may be. Even so like, uh, Matt Flynn remember much like that Baker game on the Rams. Remember Matt Flynn played that one game for the Packers through for a thousand yards. It felt like he had the most miraculous rites and dB, your Seahawks give him a big deal that everyone's like, really and then Russell Wilson ends up beating him out. But guess who gets to collect a lot of that money.
Speaker 2: Matt Flynn.
Speaker 1: Matt Flynn. So sometimes just take if you get a chance, go with it. Speaking of you know, Baker Mayfield and his quick run with you said that already, and I said Baker is the best example, because a great example. I also think of Jacob de Grom multiple Cy Young Award winner, who we thought might be moved at the deadline, but it decides to stay with the Rangers. They're in that Al West race right now. But the gram was a spot starter. You can say, Goff, you know, even though he was always he was supposed to be the guy he's a number drift, but he stepped up with the Lions. I feel like we resurrected as his career a little bit. All right, I guess he didn't like that answer. Sorry, he was a number one draft pick, was a starter, found himself in Detroit. I like, how Detroit? Yeah, okay, But I'm talking about guys that like, we're just like like a guy like Gardner Minshew, who is nothing, but because he came in with his attitude, vibe and hair and mustache, Like, all of a sudden, he goes from like, guys, this guy Gardner Minshew's doing a spot start quarterback because he had such a cool flare to him, all of a sudden he becomes your quintessential backup, like he's taking us the motorbacks. We're gonna talk Justin Herbert in a few minutes, and this has to do with PDA. How do you feel about it? Plus Mike's I keep wanting to say Mike's words of wisdom. Guys run out of those he's putting the dumb in wisdom. It's Mike who runs this take. He has a take about relationships. Plus Midweek Major, we might talk Steph Curry and Moore, But first and first, mostly you want to go to the man with the plan. His name is Dan dan Byer update.
Speaker 4: Let's go from PA or from PDA to PCA today.
Speaker 1: He is taking that pitch now over and older, deep drive to right, going back as Tucker get out to check measure long pick Crow Armstrong a two run homer. Cubs laid five no one.
Speaker 4: It was the second of the game in twenty sixth of the season. Cubs actually had a seven to one lead before the Dodgers rallied all the way back to get within one. However, the Cubs survived seven to six. On the Cubs Radio Network, Dodgers have lost six straight. In the Losing Effort show. Hey Otani homer twice for LA number twenty five and twenty six as well. On the season, Blue Jays beat the Astros and Extras five to four, while the Rangers blanked the Giant six nothing. Raised on top of the Rockies for nothing as they play in the top of the ninth inning in Denver. Some news on the Rams and Aaron Donald Donald listed on the tryout list of the NFL today for the Rams. Adam Schefter of ESPN giving some clarity, we know Donald's been working out. Donald's been working out with the Rams. He wanted to do a workout with a helmet on that requires the Rams to list him as a tryout. He wanted to see how he would respond. But it does seem like things are getting closer and closer for Aaron Donald to make a return.
Speaker 1: So weird. Was it like yesterday and they say, you wanted to pursue like a media like a career in media, and now he's practicing.
Speaker 4: I've just heard Sean McVay kind of tew the company line maybe dance around a little bit of where he was working out. But because he was putting on a RAMS helmet today, they had to characterize that as a tryout.
Speaker 1: That's it makes sense. Was it like a month ago? His wife said, this is news to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, And here we are later, thirty five years old, with the It's just funny how it looked on the transaction list because Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh tryout Rams, not three time Defensive Player of the Year, eight time First Team All Pro or Super Bowl champion.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Stefan Diggs has found a new home Washington Commanders, signing him to a one year deal worth twelve million dollars. It's his fourth team in as many seasons. Falcon j Edge rusher Jalen Walker is going to miss all of this season because of a torn acl suffering camp. Yesterday, Chiefs have drop the sponsorship name on their stadium. It will no longer be called Geha Field at Arrowhead Stadium. They're just calling it Arrowhead Stadium. Can They will continue to be a partner though with the sponsor Broncos said good Sean Payton said wide receiver Jayalen Waddle should be okay after dealing with muscle tightness in practice today.
Speaker 1: And two other notes.
Speaker 4: One in horse racing, Preakness Stakes is going to move a week later than the Kentucky Derby and actually be run on a Sunday. Livgolf says they have struck a deal with a lead investor that will keep the tour alive after twenty twenty six. In his statement, the tour said, the players on Live will become the majority stakeholders of the tour. A deal could be finalized in September. Guys, back to you, thank you, dB.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting, Danny, your dude, Shoho Tani and PCA who Dan Bayer let us know hit two home runs today. Their stats are as they said in one of my favorite movies. My cousin Vinny identical, almost identical. I mean they're both betting in between two eighty five and two ninety ish. Both have twenty four home runs and sixty five RBI versus sixty seven today, So they're up to bolt up to twenty six. Oh well, get that? So okay. So so when you look at those numbers, they are your top contenders for the MVP according to Las Vegas. But when you look at the league leaders, there's guys with plenty more home runs, guys with better batting averages, guys with more RBI to show. Hey, being a pitcher, will that cement him the MVP every year? Because if guys have similar stats to Atani, won't Won't the deciding factor every single year be the pitches? It is what it is I'm saying. But the average player, if he ends the season Batten two ninety thirty five home runs, an extraordinary season, two out do o time. That's what I'm saying. I feel like if anyone, whether it's PCA or Matt Olson's got some great stats Schormer, you know, as you know a lot of.
Speaker 3: Home runs, imagine doing all that and then you have an eight and two record on the mound with a one point five VR.
Speaker 1: It's hard to argy that you're more valuable. I'm not going to argue. I'm just say I feel as though, unless Otani has such a down year, if he is in the conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you're not wrong.
Speaker 1: It's his because even if even if a Matt Olsen or a Schoreber or a PCA or someone had beat at two eighty forty something home runs one hundreds of other Ribbies, if Otani was even close to that, Oh, and he pitches, he will win every MVP while he plays baseball. Agreed, I agree with you. No one's debating that you can't be like but Schwebber's a great clubhouse guy. Like it doesn't matter, and you definitely can't give it to a DH. You can't get right. You can't give definitely DH when this guy's doing exactly So it's just man Otani. My goodness, Thank you dB, thank you fellas Uh your feedback and calls. If you want to talk about seizing the moment, if you want to throw any others in there. To me, it's a lot of times it's quarterbacks or pictures that might get a spot start, and it's like, Yo, this guy's way better than we thought. Now all of a sudden, he's a permanent part of the rotation, right, seizing that moment. Uh, But you want to talk to love birds? Talk lovebirds? I think the world needs love. Yeah, it loves in the air man. So yeah, pc E to PDA. We're gonna talk some PDA for now. Just think about it. What are your thoughts on public displays of affection? We'll get to it next. Hang tight, Oh little Seas the Day event sevenfold on Fox Sports Radio. It's a good jam.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I played on Turbo. Oh divorce dad Rock? Yeah, divorce Dad Rock. Yeah. I said, dance, what's up? I said, yeah, huh, that's what's up. Sebino and Rich Fox Sports Radio. We got Danny g we got Sam, we got Dan Meyer, we got midweek major coming up, and of course Mike who runs his take. So stick around for that. That's next hour. But it's all about seizing the moment, the day, the year, the month, the rest of the week. Just keeps season stuff all right, and you know, take it out of sports and out of life. You get those opportunities. You got to capitalize. We saw George Lombard Junior do that with his opportunity at short stuff for the Yankees yesterday his debut. His parents were cheering everybody's I think two are big takeaways from hour one where you putting out that for everyone that's having their great moment, there is someone that's like really bummed about it because that was their lost opportunity. Like, yes, someone's bumpy sitting somewhere in minor league baseball being like maybe you'll get called back up. Meanwhile, on day one, his replacement looks lights out making diving catches. Yeah, he was doing everything that Volpi just didn't seem he was able to do, at least at that moment. But in TV or entertainment, it makes me think of those Steve Rkle moments. Right, he gets his opportunity to be the goofy neighbor and what does he do. He slays it And who did it before? Erkele? Arthur Fonzarelli, our recent guest on over promised Henry Winkler, Like, these are guys that were supposed to be ancillary people, right, but they got their moment and owned it to the point where they.
Speaker 2: Couldn't be they stole the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they stole a show. They stole a scene they couldn't be avoid and essentially stealing the show. Stealing the scene translates to sports. And another example would be one of my favorite shows back in the two thousands, How I Met Your Mother Neil Patrick Harris, Barney Stinson was supposed to be an ancillary character and it ends up sees the moment steals the show. And the other point was in baseball, there's something very special about the debut because in football and basketball, it's always about the draft. Right, you get drafted early, you're making millions. That's when you hug and kiss the family. Baseball, you could be a first round pick and never see the field. So when you have that major league baseball debut and mom and dad are in the stands, something so magical about that that you don't even need to like the team and you can get a little emotional. Well before we go to the calls, question for you, Rich, got any cheese? Did I do that? Hey? Real quick?
Speaker 2: Real quick?
Speaker 1: Who we got? All right, let's go to Austin and San Diego? Can you budget wait for it?
Speaker 2: Darry?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 7: Richmino?
Speaker 2: By you guys are amazing.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you taking the call. Thanks man. I season the moment.
Speaker 7: I would say Justin Herbert when he got thrown in about.
Speaker 1: Ten minutes before kickoff, because I think the quarterback got a needle that was long and collapsed.
Speaker 3: I think it was Tyrod Taylor.
Speaker 7: I remember exactly who.
Speaker 1: What's funny?
Speaker 2: Bring on Taylor?
Speaker 1: Funny you bring up Justin Herbert because we're going to talk about him next Yeah, next one we talk about love birds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our boy James and Virginia wants to weigh in.
Speaker 1: Hey James, Oh, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 7: Gentlemen, Happy Wednesday.
Speaker 1: How you feeling about How are you feeling about your commanders? We look at ten and seven, seven and ten somewhere in between. What you what are you thinking?
Speaker 7: If Jayden Daniels stays healthy, I think they can win the division. Man, this guy delivers the ball from the pocket. He should run and he makes plays outside of the pocket. But he went inside of the pocket. Man, he delivered struck.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you that that's what I love about jad your commander's team. Is that one of those teams, Danny g we need to take the next level dive on because I think I think they're one of the more confusing teams because two years ago, you like, you know, they're in the NFC Championship Game. They take a big step back last year. I don't know where they sit this year.
Speaker 3: Rich Once you start watching Quarterback on Netflix, we'll see what happened with Jet Daniels.
Speaker 1: People start smart. So what's your what's your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 7: So for me, man, Okay, so I'm gonna just throw Timmy Smith watching the Redskins running back gets to start in the Super Bowl rusher for two hundred four yards.
Speaker 1: Huge play.
Speaker 7: But the two that I was calling in about that, Trump's all others that for at least for football.
Speaker 1: Kurt Warner with the.
Speaker 7: Rams in ninety nine, I mean, came into a Hall of Fame career, and then of course lets effing go TB twelve. Man, there's the A one one one.
Speaker 1: I mean, we get to Tom Brady sees the moment of all moments, became the go. He ended up seizing life after that. And Kurt Warner had a movie name you know about him. I mean, those are two great examples. More examples at Covino and Rich We'll talk Justin Herbert next. CNR