Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott and this is Hot Pursuit.
Speaker 3: We had an awesome weekend.
Speaker 2: Hannah, My goodness, that was I think the most fun I've had at a car event ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was so fun. I would I would wholeheartly agree, actually for sure at an event for cars and maybe even in motorcycles, that was, oh wow, the coolest for me. I mean, the star studded guest list that we had was just insane.
Speaker 2: I know, everything came together so well, and I have to say the access I thought was incredible, both for us as media but also for spectators. Yep, I mean it felt it made an F one race feel a little bit difficult to navigate. Like the access I thought at Lamal was just really good.
Speaker 3: Yes, we should explain for you know, people who aren't regular listeners what we're talking about. So Hannah and I went to Lamal, France to see the twenty four hour race last weekend, and we had a star studded guest list of CEOs and market movers. We had Tom Wagner, who runs Nighthead, which owns the team there Hurts team Joda Cadillac. He also owns Singer as well as Revology. Obviously Hurts what we had the CEO of Hurts, Gil West join us. We had the CEO of Ford, Jim Farley join us. We had the CEO of Aston Martin Adrian Hallmark. By the way. So, and in terms of the race results, right, Ferrari one, everybody was telling us the whole time they were sandbag and it turns out they kind of were.
Speaker 2: They would all say, we're not allowed to tell you this, and we don't. We're not allowed to talk about the balance of power. Butt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ferrari sand bags, and so does Toyota.
Speaker 3: Well, no, Toyota got sand bagged. So Toyota was given an eleven kilogram penalty, right because they won so much at the beginning of this decade, and Ferrari was just given a pass. And I think the impressive thing was that Porsia took second, Ferrari was first, third, and fourth. And then this is.
Speaker 1: A third year in a row Ferrari one. So three years in a row.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and amazing their driver Robert Kubica, right, who is basically one handed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unbelievable story.
Speaker 3: Truly an amazing story. But if you think about it, Cadillac Actually, if you take out the Ferraris, which they were given a huge advantage, then Cadillac comes in. I think third. They were they were no. Second because they were fifth the number twelve. Yeah, car finished fist.
Speaker 2: I have to say, Cadillac is really developing into a fascinating story and it was so great to be, you know, around that team in their hospitality, around some of their drivers Jensen Button of course, and some of their executives Mark Royce. Because the vibe is good. The vibe is really good. I think there is a nice little ground swell happening, and of course that's great timing going into Formula One as a race team next year. That is a team to watch just out of a human interest story alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely. I also think I can't remember who which media outlet wrote collection of the winners and losers, and they included Aston Martin as one of the winners, even though Aston Martin's hypercar team was one of the biggest losers. At the end of the race, they only beat Pougeot, which was really the biggest loser. But I also agree that Aston was a winner because they're new to this right. Also, they were the only non hybrid entry and for me, like watching the race, it was the sound again that was the most important thing, and the Cadillacs were the most amazing, like deep rumble. They made everybody else sound like nothing except for the Aston Martin Valkyrie. That thing, the v twelve screams.
Speaker 2: Screaming is the right word for it. It is unbelievable to feel that. I mean, you hear it and you feel it in your body when it goes by. It was so so cool, and I think for me, the takeaway is that Lamon is it's about the racing. Really, It's about that moment that you just described feeling when a Valkyrie goes by. There were no not a ton of like influencers and just hordes of celebrities at this race, which was I thought it was really nice. You know, F one has become all about status and really bringing you know, Hollywood stars and musical stars and all of that is really great, but Lemon doesn't have that quite yet. I think it probably will in a couple of years. I think we're headed in that direction. And that's great, that's totally fine, but it's it was nice to be at this old French race in this little old French town and not have a total like Instagram influencer circuit.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was pretty cool. I actually went over to the Portie Hospitality looking for you. At one point I was there. Well, I didn't see you, and I stopped out on the patio because Mark Weber was giving a talk about how you know, WEK works and how endurance racing strategy. And then he went inside and sat down next to I thought his twin brother. I didn't know Mark Weber had a twin brother, and I realized it was Eric Banna.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know what's really funny is I was sitting behind them. I actually went upstairs in hospitality to sort of hide out. This was after we'd wrapped taping and everything, and I was just like, I just wanted I honestly just want to watch the race. I don't want to have to talk to anyone. I want to sit and watch the TV and watch the race. So I went upstairs and Portia Hospitality. This is after the race had started. There was no one there because everyone moved closer to the track, and I just sat down behind these two dudes and it was like the three of us and a couple other folks in the room. That was it for an hour, and then eventually some other people came into the room, some Porsche executives and puffers, and they get the guy to turn around and I realized it's Mark and Eric.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I had.
Speaker 1: No idea and they were just chilling it was. It was actually really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was very very cool. I watched most of the race upstairs in the in the Cadillac Hospitality and just because there was a collection of bros there that knew so much about racing. Dario Franchiti was sitting up there. Rajnaire formerly a Ford, was up there now, the CEO of singer Brian Burke was up there. He's an executive vice president at Multimatic. There were just a ton of people. Gil West was there, so like every time I had a question, and I had so many, I would just lean over and be like, yo, Dario, what's the pitting strategy? You know? And then he would like explain to the room. Yeah, it was awesome, so cool.
Speaker 1: I love I love it, I love it.
Speaker 2: I also think we should give a shout out to David Clark, who really made a lot of this happen. David is kind of a king. I feel like he's kind of a king maker in this world. And we sort of.
Speaker 1: I saw him.
Speaker 2: We saw him in Cadillac, we saw we kind of saw him everywhere.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: That's another one that like when you're listening off these names. These are people who have been in the business forever and they know everyone. There's nobody they can't call to get something done or you know, just to talk to her whatever to get insight from It was really cool to be a part of that, and yeah, I definitely hope we can do it again next year.
Speaker 3: Speaking of kings, we have one on this program today, truly a king if his kingdom is not having its best year. In twenty twenty five, we're gonna talk to Toto Wolf, who is the CEO and co owner of Mercedes their Formula One team Mercedes AMG Patronis. He's the team principal. He's a billionaire from Austria and I mean speaking of highly connected, this guy is married to Susie Wolf, so she started the Formula Academy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they talk about a power couple. Also, Toto has transcended motorsports become famous in culture, I think in general. And I know that's true because my gay best friend who doesn't care for motorsport at all but loves music.
Speaker 1: Like he loves Toto.
Speaker 2: You know, I've got some girly friends who are not involved in cars at all, they all know all about Toto and are big fans. So he has transcended cars and he is now on another level. So we're excited to have him.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about race weekend, because you guys had a good one. Tell us what happened.
Speaker 4: Yeaha was a good one. We finished first and second wonder Race with George Russell and excitingly with eighteen year old Kimo Antonelli. We finished third, So double podium.
Speaker 3: And how did you get there? Because it's been a tough it's been a long slog, right.
Speaker 4: Well, it hasn't been such a slog. I think you're being a bit harsh with us here because we've won of a bunch of races last year, we've been dominant in Las Vegas, but we haven't competed for a championships since a while, and in that respect, this this season we had many podiums but no victories, and yesterday it was on complete merit. We've been strong throughout the race on all tires. There was not you know, the lack of a safety cow, so it was us really, you know, being the being the benchmark.
Speaker 2: Then Jimmy is I think the third youngest driver ever to take a race podium, which is huge.
Speaker 1: Can you tell us just.
Speaker 2: A little bit about what you see in him as a driver and what you see as he develops, what you can expect for the future.
Speaker 4: So, Kimmy has been in our junior program since he was eleven, and you can today recognize talent, I would say from the age of ten when the kids start to compete in the International Go Cutting Series and we're having a good group of scouts. You know, I'm a City Spen's junior program and that's important in a way. It works like the soccer, soccer or tennis academies that they identified talent very early on and for a young driver, you you know, they start winning races and the really best ones win championships and the great ones do do that every year. And that's why we saw that Kimmi was different from the age of eleven or twelve, and then he's continued.
Speaker 1: What do you see it in winning championships already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, already in katting, you have these age groups eight to ten, ten to twelve, twelve to fourteen. And if a kid starts at the age of eight and is already competitive against two year elder children, that's already a good indication. And if that child wins a championship a year younger than everybody else, that's another good indication. And he has been winning through these throughout these categories, and that's very exceptional.
Speaker 3: I wonder I always think about this kind of feeder program that you have, and I think about I've lived in Germany for a long time, so I'm familiar with the soccer feeder to they have how many women or how many girls are in this Because if we learned anything from Lamar this weekend is that you don't need to have this kind of dominant alpha male strength to win a race like Kuvisa has an injured arm and still took the victory over the factory team, So clearly women could compete at the top level.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Robert is A is a is an exceptional driver, great talent. He had him. He had a Ferrari consigned Ferrari contract before he had the rally accident, so he would have been a world championhip, no doubt about that. And also the resilience that he's shown because he's driving with one hand. But in terms of young female is just a number game, you know. We when you look at Cocating ten years ago of Adred, of one hundred kids, there would have been two girls. Now there is fifteen or twenty. And that's why we're eventually gonna have young females comp think being able to compete in Formula one. So we have a young lady in our program. Her name is Luna Fluxa, who's winning races, who's winning championships. She's going to step into cars in one year, and she has she has the talent and the ambition and the character to be successful. And the obviously the program that my wife manages, the Formula one Academy, which is an old female series, has been inspiring for young girls suddenly seeing being a racing driver as a career because on the past they went no role models. It was Susie was in the last one in Formula one. And now suddenly there's a Netflix series around Formula one Academy that has just dropped, and more girls are starting to have an interest.
Speaker 2: You know, last week I was with Frank Wallacer with Bidley, you know, Frank the former head of Portion Motorsport, and we were talking about how long it takes to develop young drivers. I'm curious for Antonelli, for instance, how many years do you think he would need to really get him to the top of his game and maybe at the top of the podium. Is that a three year game? Is that a five year game or is it shorter than that?
Speaker 4: So that has changed in the last few years because it is so difficult to manage the tires. It's not only about speed, how fast can you go on a single lap boy in a race, but not sturing the tires to drive as fast as you can in the same time, not sliding them and not making them overheat because it loses you lose tons of lap times and that is the limitation for young drivers coming up. A good example is Piastre who is leading the championship. It took him a year and a half actually to kind of catch up to London Norris and it's been the first year that he has an edge on him, and that is I think just the tire management and with Kimmi. He doesn't know all of the circuits. It was the first time in Montreal, so you start with a massive disadvantage. But the car was good and he was able to, you know, be fast. But coming back to your question, yes, you probably need to look at the three year program and say that's the time it needs for a young driver to you know, to challenge the more your more experienced teammates that are also super fast. I mean, George today is among the among the best drivers in form of one and that's something you need to give them time. You need to accept that there's going to be more difficult weekends underperformance, but that's just part of how it goes now.
Speaker 3: So do you have a take on whether or not a team should have two drivers for the whole season and they stay there because a lot of people have been talking about this since Jack Dowan was removed, or do you think that a team should be able to revolve, you know, like occasionally you could use Valucherie and take.
Speaker 4: I think when you take the right decision in terms of talent, you must be very conscious about who you're putting in the car and if that young driver shows a lot of promise, you also need to give them time to develop, and that's what we are doing with Kimi. There were lots of voices that said, how can you put an eighteen year old in a car, especially in the Mercedes. You know, it's not like you're competing in a smaller team and you're under the radar, but literally you're being cutapulted in a seed where people expect you to be on the podium or win races. So that's been our philosophy. We wouldn't give anyone a seed if we didn't think that can be a champion of the future.
Speaker 3: What does Voucherie do for you guys? Because he put out a pretty hilarious video on special where he's like drinking a lot of espressol and hanging out right. But he's obviously an incredibly talented pilot, so I guess he can add a ton of value, right.
Speaker 4: Viter is just awesome guy. He's a super talented driver and he's kind of found his you know, he's being authentic now. I met Viter in two thousand and eight. He was a young driver without any financial backing, and he was dominating Junior Series. I remember seeing his first race in a really competitive feeder series called Former No. There was forty four starters. He was on pole and at the end of the race he was leading by a margin of ten seconds. So outstanding driver then came into Formula One and unfortunately ended up with the most successful driver of all times. Louis Hamilton has a teammate in his peak and vity was a wise world champion many times. He's won many races, He's been dominant some of the circuits and also against his teammates. When he went to Sauba, he you know, he just basically crushed them all. But then he ended up without a seat and for us a huge opportunity to take back as a reserve. I know that if one of our drivers would have a fish poisoning, have the best guy, we would have the best guy in the car to actually perform. So that's positive. And on a different note, he has kind of found his you know, his his brand. He's an extremely cool guy. He always was, but he's a Finn. He was introverted and he's in a way he breaks free of the Mercedes environment. And you know he has this mustache and the hair and how do you call that the mullet, the mullet and he's he's.
Speaker 3: A business in the front party in the back exactly. In German it's called a focal.
Speaker 4: Language. Like in the front, you know efficient, and in the rear you're fashionable, stylish, and Vitry is an individual that can take a mickey out of himself, which is so important. You need to be able to laugh about himself. And Vitory has the ambition and the talent to come back into Formula one and if that doesn't fly, he's going to make a career in Lamon that you like, or in Indy cars or whatever, because he's so good. But on top of that, he's a laugh I mean, I saw that video and you really really great content.
Speaker 2: You know. That really makes me think about this conversation we had with Jensen Button this past weekend at Lamar and Jensen made the comment that Formula one drivers are very selfish. They're the most selfish drivers in any series we were talking about, of course NASCAR and endurance racing. And I'm wondering if you if you agree with that, and how do you manage these personalities The egos will be honest that you have to have a pretty good opinion of yourself to put yourself on the line like that.
Speaker 1: How do you manage that as team principle.
Speaker 4: So there's two things you cannot expect from a one driver, to be a lion in the car and the puppy outside. These guys are traumatized little six year olds because they've been put in a go card as basically toddlers. That's scary. You know you're being told drive fast. These cards go one hundred kilometers an hour. It's raining, you have accidents and you need to rely on yourself. You find out that you are alone in this go card and you just need to survive, and only the best to There's many kids that eventually drop out because of fear, pressure or running, lack of talent. So if you make it in formula one, you know that you can only rely on yourself. It is you need to be selfish. You need to beat your teammate. So that is a key ingredient. But and here's the caveat. I believe that the best ones also have social intelligence, emotional and intelligence, and they know how to maneuver a padoc. They are career focused and driven, but they are not selfish because they understand that in order to be successful and Informula one, you need to have the good people around you, whether it's in the team or whether it's in your management, and you need to look at it from a long term perspective. The short term optimization will not make you the most successful driver. And we've seen it in the past that people missed out on great careers because they were acting arrogantly or selfish optimizing every single opportunity rather than being a team player. Louis Hamilton is a fantastic team player and he's been the most successful of all time. Michael Schumacher was able to assemble the team around him and being hugely successful. So you see that with the best so talent, ambition, but also consciousness that it doesn't all revolve around yourself. There is other people that are part of your success. And how I've been managing this from the first day that I have been in Former one is that I make no difference between the two drivers and the rest of the company. And I've been telling them that there's two and a half thousand superstars in this team, whether they work in the machine shop and the cleaning, in aerodynamics or driving the car. I'm not going to treat you any different than any of the other people. If you a selfish and you put our joint success at risk or or you damage our brand, then I'm gonna be and then I'm going to be ruthless about it. You have no part in this team. And that's that philosophy worked because our drivers have understood, they respected, they care that everybody you know is part of the success, and they realize that when they crash into each other. For example, people can't pay their mortgages because they don't they don't earn their bonus.
Speaker 3: I get it. I get that, and I love the egalitarian take. But there's obviously an importance having someone as good as say Lewis Hamilton to help lead the team. You do what you do, but he also must have contributed a lot in that sense. Do you miss Lewis? I mean, I'm sure personally you can still hang out with him, but do you miss him in that sense? As such an experienced leader, as such a champion.
Speaker 4: You always have to miss a person like Louis Hamilton. And as you say, we're still close friends. We have given our word to each other that we will stay close friends. We're fighting hard on track with the gloves off of our because we need to fight for respective teams and that's the kind of rule we have. But off track, we spend some time with each other. We travel with each other, and I don't want to miss the friend that I've been, that I've that I've that I've gotten for so many years, the longest ever drive a team relationship in Formula one twelve years. He's rarely see that in any other spot. And when it comes to developing the car, obviously he has a lot of experience. He seed it all and to replace someone like Louis Hamilton is always going to be difficult, you know.
Speaker 2: With Lewis, obviously he probably hasn't been finishing as high up this year as he wanted. But also I've read plenty of his comments in the press that he is unconcerned. He is this is a long process, this is a new team, a new car, and of course anyone would be foolish to count out a champion like Lewis Hamilton. Ever, I'm just wondering how you see that now from your side of the track, so to speak, as he is learning a new car and a new team and taking some time to do it.
Speaker 4: I fully agree with that you know, you don't learn driving that quickly. In twenty twenty one he was great. Than the regulation changed and it got a little bit more difficult, but he was still performing on a very high level. And just by changing teams suddenly you don't lose your skills. I think everybody needs to have a period of adoption, different car, different DNA of how how that vehicle drives, new engineering team that you need to start to work together then be involved in the continuous development in the car so it suits your driving style. It's an all Italian team, you know, he's a British guy parachuted in there and uh and that takes time. Also, we have seen a little bit of a pattern that lewis at the beginning of the season. You know, he needs to come into to find that mojo, and the second half of the season has been always very strong. So don't ever write Louis Hammerton off.
Speaker 3: Can I just point out that Mark Marquez did not need any time for that. Do you watch one of the other leagues or sports that you're I know you're super busy with Formula one so you probably can't. But Moto GP, Mark Marquez has been so insanely dominant, and he is old and broken and switched not only to a different team, but he's working for the Italians who really don't like him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there is the exceptional athletes that that clearly outstanding in that category. And he has shown that switching manufacturers hasn't hasn't affected him. On the contrary, he's he's great on the on the Ducati as well. I don't know how many word championships did Mark Marcus win.
Speaker 3: He's got eight now.
Speaker 4: So it's like Lewis, right, yeah, true, and these are the greats and some adopt easier, some some take a little bit of time. But I mean Louis Hamilton is one of the greatest goals of course all time.
Speaker 3: Of course, he's up there on that level with a Rossi as well.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Lewis, obviously he was the producer in this F one film. Toto were how involved were you in this in the filming? The production? The film's coming out very soon. I'm actually going to see it tonight in a press screening.
Speaker 3: Is there a total in this in this movie?
Speaker 4: Yeah? About them? Actually, I mean I'm really I'm really really proud. Yeah, And he's taken a lot of interest in the role, so and say how does it work? He spent some time with me at the race, had him in the garage listening to the intercom. Exceptional, exceptional guy also to be so keen and understanding, trying to understand. And yeah, we've been involved from early on. Obviously Lewis was the main one guiding the team in in the narrative, in the storyline, what's realistic, what's not? I can only take a mini credit in it. I'm an executive producer and I was told when that's on the screen, that's pretty good. But other than that, you know, we have we helped to build the cars. So we built f two cars that are cars that that are racing in there. We we pointed bread that racing drivers schools to learn it. And obviously there were meetings where you know, we were asked of our opinion is that realistic or not? Is that what you would do? And so we had a we had a contribution and that and you know, I've seen them. I've seen the movie in premiere for the team principals and drivers in Monte Carlo, and I don't see a mistake. There's nothing that I would not see us being uncompletely unrealistic. I mean you have the drivers Sonny who is a who is who is older than what you would think, but not much more. All of all of the the all of the storyline is realistic, and even for us racing insiders, we couldn't find anything wrong.
Speaker 3: We actually asked Jensen Button over the weekend, like, what is the difference when you're forty five as opposed to twenty five? I mean he still has in incredible reflexes, right, And what makes younger drivers better because they do always have a few tenths on the guys, even the champions who are twenty years older.
Speaker 4: I think that the true champions can compensate some of the sharpness that you lose. I mean cognitively, all of us becoming elder, you lose some of that. I think, what your reactions, what your eyes see, motoric capability, that's something that's getting slower. But you can compensate that by the better, right amount of training. So that's one thing. The other is that the courage. You know, young drivers are sometimes you know, not thinking too much about the risks of the spot, and the older you get, you may realize that a little bit more. But again they are the outstanding ones are keep a bit of compensating that in you know, different training for example. So you know Alonso's going to be forty forty yere and he's still an exceptional driver.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 3: We were talking to Matt Brown about him. He could he could help them.
Speaker 4: Uh, I mean, Zach Brown is in his early fifties and he he still thinks of himself as being a great driver.
Speaker 3: He may need to lose a few pounds.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I need to be. Zach is a friend of mine, so I got to be. I need to be careful. But as you have said, you know you can get him in. It's just a matter of how quickly you can get him out again. But wow, that's really nasty. But he's a good friend. He's going to take that with a with a pinch.
Speaker 2: So that did make the point back to the drive that being an elder driver, you do have more to lose. Potentially once you get married, you have children, you start to have more at stake.
Speaker 3: You recognize your mortality.
Speaker 4: You know, I can just tell it from my personal career. I think I was never afraid of the mortality thing. You know, nobody will survive anyway. And if you can say that you had you know, you're doing what you want, you love what you do, you have a great family, then there's point is eventually going to come. So there's not a thing in time in a car that I thought about mortality. But you start, you kind of start looking at things that you haven't in the past, you know, with me, particularly in in rallying, suddenly I saw trees that I have never seen before that I would have not looked at before or under in the Rasky. You know, when it's when it's raining and there's aqua planning, you think about lifting as a twenty five year olds, I would have never thought about lifting over acua planning. It is what it is, you know, So that changes. But it's not being scared. It's just that I hear you realize I hear you.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you saw this news, but Caring is naming Luca DeMeo from Renault it's next chief executive officer. And you are very fashionable, very stylish in an elegant way. What do you think about this potential to if you're a great leader in automotive or in racing, that you could do something and also in luxury or fashion, you know, I mean this kind of shift. Have you thought about that?
Speaker 4: So, first of all, Luca is a star for me, and I've texted with him this morning and congratulated him and said, it's a shame. You know, we've worked in Formula one together. I'l beIN he's gonna have say this engine next year, next year, but he's not around and he was fundamental in making that happen. So I really really rate him as a manager. And I think when you have an understanding for an organization and he's not under an no around, I mean massively. Yes, he was great at Sayad, he was exceptional at Volkswagen before. If you have an understanding for an organization, if you are able to motivate people, if you have empathy, but at the same time you create the right amount of pressure, you can succeed in any industry in my opinion. And I mean, I think for caring is a coup to have someone like look at me as a CEO.
Speaker 3: It's just cool, that is. I mean from engineering to fashion there's a huge difference, right, one of them is mathematical, methodical and the other one is just an innate sense that you have.
Speaker 4: But as a car guy, you also have a sense of you need to have a sense of esthetics. Cars need to look good. People look you know cars Always people say I'm buying a car because it's you know, it doesn't burn a lot of fuel, or it's it's you know, it looks good, has a lot of power. But all these things are just disguising the real reason we're buying car. Buying a car is an emotional act. It's how I want to be perceived, not how I am, but how I want to be perceived. And a proper car guy and I see that we're all a Calanius who runs Mercedes, they understand that very well. What is it the customer wants to have? What's the aesthetics of the car of the future. It's not about what you like today, it's about what this is going to be in three years. And I remember having been shown around the next generation of Mercedes is a few years ago by all a Calanius and Gordon Vagano is the chief design of Mercedes, and he said, so he's shown Louis and I around. He said, how do you like the cars that are coming in three years? And we said, well, we don't like them. He said, I'm glad that you say that, because if you would like the cars in three years, I know it would have done it wrong because you will like them in three years.
Speaker 3: But not now.
Speaker 4: So sense of aesthetics, Look, Luka's going to do just fine. He is designed been part of designing great cars. He's going to be part of designing great Cuci clothes, finding the right story, finding the right people that are kind of designed the closes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what for you is the most beautiful car ever made?
Speaker 4: WHOA? I would say spontaneously the three hundred s L call.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're not wrong, but it just since you work for Mercedes, it's but.
Speaker 4: It is the car. I mean it could you could You could also say, you know, to fifty gto ferraris a spectacular car. But looking at the way that non Mercedes head, I think the most amazing car is also the one that was the most expensive car of a SOULD is the unhaut could Pey, you know, the pre three hundred s L. You look at that car and it's just the beauty in itself with the technology that was unseen in those early years. And then the three hundred was the development of the road car, which then became a race car. But these are just the best cars in the world.
Speaker 3: I mean, Hannah's written about that car extensively.
Speaker 4: I was there, you there when it was sold. I mean, congratulations. I think this was an event that does a car person. You can be proud that you've been part of it. But also, you know, I'm driving the three hundred is LS and it's a fifty to fifty six car, nineteen fifty six car, and that thing drives two undred fifty kilometers an hour. It breaks like a modern kite even with the old tires. You know, you can you can swish around the corner and you can see how far advanced Mercedes was in terms of the developing high performance cars back in the day and again or in hardcopy, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: I would also like to have a three hundred sl. How much time do you have to hang out with cars to enjoy, you know, the aesthetics of or the smell, the vibrations, like the good old stuff, since you're so busy at work with the new stuff.
Speaker 4: Not enough, unfortunately, But I you know, I'm so lucky. We I have Mercedes company cars and I get driven around with Mercedeses to and from the races. That's really great. And I appreciate that I was giving a company car in the UK new s class S sixty three, and I wrote and I wrote an email to the head of Mercedes Spence you Can. I said, I'm so thankful and grateful that you're giving me a company car like the S sixty three because seeing it, stepping into the car, driving it or being driven is just pure joy. And in the same way driving some of the some of the vintage cars around, it's it's you know, I need to pinch myself sometimes being able to have this Mercedes cars.
Speaker 2: I want to ask a little bit about motorsport in general. Matt and I are all hyped up on Lamont because we were just there. Would Mercedes ever run a factory team at Lamont?
Speaker 1: Would you join join?
Speaker 2: And obviously there's so much branding potential for you.
Speaker 1: Where do you see motorsports?
Speaker 3: We're told us a bargain total thirty forty million for the season. What a bargain.
Speaker 4: It's a bargain, yeah, uh define bargain. No, But I'm you know what I'm I'm looking at it. Lamar. I'm a racer. Lamar twenty four hours is one of the greatest races in the in the world Formula one. For me, obviously my bias is the best there is. It's the best driver's quick as cars, the greatest tracks, and then there is a long time nothing. But if I would say, what's next Lamar twenty four hours and if I found it, and that is really one for insiders in the notch life, the new book in twenty four hours. That for me is you know, the top of the top. And when I'm not having a Formula One weekend, I can watch Lamar race pretty much through the night. You know, I'm following the live feed and some of the drivers have a personal interest. And as Mercedes, it's something that we did in the past. We aren't particularly you know, that wasn't our happiest place. We had a very bad accident in the fifties when we when we exited and and then some of our prototypes have been flying taking off in the nineties and early two thousands. I think it was in the nine nineteen nineties. But what it is for me today is we are concentrating on you know, the main platform and that is Formula one. It's what we want to do. Right. This captures ninety nine percent of the audiences and and everything else is you know, comes second. Now we have entered with Mercedes in it, with the GD three car. That's something which we are looking at. That is our customer program.
Speaker 3: Speaking of aesthetics, I think it was probably the best one in the g T three s.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks really great. Yes, and then there is the little you know, caveat all the Collanius and of Mercedes. We are raising people and we don't like bops. We don't like balance of performance. We don't like somebody assessing your power, your energy consumption, you wait, your driver's skill.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And then you know I'm being harsh.
Speaker 3: Now it's you that won't survive. I think you're right. I don't think that's going to survive after this. It's just not fair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you spend so much time and money and effort in developing the quickest car and then you're being put in kilograms of balanced into this car. And I don't want to be I just want to, you know, build the quickest car, and Formula one has shown how it goes. Give us a cost cap. You know, dou lamt give everybody a cost cap. You cannot spend more than achs whatever you said thirty forty million, and we didn't this thirty forty million, that is what. Then you can do what you want. I mean, still there's regulations, but nobody needs to bleff in pre season racing or in qualifying. But it's war, it's you know, gloves of PA racing. If that was to happen Lemar, absolutely would you know, it would be something that we would be looking at. But at the moment, BPE having some officials judge whether whether you're quick or too quick putting ten kilograms in your car taking it out from someone else the next day, not for us at the moment.
Speaker 3: Hey man, it's been really great spending some time with you. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, and I really enjoyed it. And you know, it's good to have a chat with the two of you so enthusiastic about cars. Having been in Lemont. There won't there wouldn't be many Americans. I guess that you would have found in Lemont this weekend. So great that you have been.
Speaker 3: There more with Cadillac more right, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, true, true, I mean, we love it.
Speaker 2: And I know you won't remember, but we last spoke in Las Vegas at the F one Race in Vegas, and I always very much appreciate you taking the time for Bloomberg, So thank you, very pleasure for me all.
Speaker 3: That's how we have for this. We'll be back the same time, same place next week. Thanks so much for joining us. I'm Matt Miller, I'm
Speaker 1: Anna Elliott, and this is Bloomberg.