Speaker 1: Topics featured in this episode may be disturbing to some listeners. Please take care while listening.
Speaker 2: It's a deep, dark secret, and fortunately oftentimes we're able to find content and actually talk with the suspect and get an admission.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was mere.
Speaker 1: I'm Andrea Gunning. This is Betrayal, Episode five, Beyond Wildest Imagination. We ended up staying in Utah for more than a week. I'm not complaining. It's a beautiful place to wake up and start work every day. Another woman from the Salt Lake City area had reached out to us and we wanted to meet her. Mandy had listened to Jennifer Faceon's story in season one.
Speaker 4: She wrote, the same time Jennifer was going through her trauma, I was going through mine. He was my.
Speaker 1: Fairy tale, the love of my life, and I was blindsided. To say the least, I lost everything. Hearing Jen's story helped me not feel so alone and gave me more strength. I can't say enough thank you. So we invited Mandy to our airbnb to meet Ashley. When you're in a small club that no one wants to belong to, it's comforting to meet someone else who's been through it.
Speaker 4: Here's Mandy speaking with Ashley.
Speaker 5: What was it about listening to her story that, Like, was it just the whole betrayal, Like just the fact that you just knew nothing about the person that you were supposed to know everything about.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think that's what drew me to it was that it was like that betrayal. But what really got me and what made me even write in was Spencer sounded like my husband.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: In season one of Betrayal, Jennifer Fason told the story of a fairy tale marriage to her college sweetheart, Spencer Heron. He appeared to be a picture perfect husband and caring high school teacher. When he was arrested, Jennifer was shocked to learn the reality was her husband had been sexually assaulting one of his students and conducting dozens of affairs during their marriage. His excuses and lack of accountability made Jennifer realize her husband was a complete stranger.
Speaker 6: And so then I felt like I connected even more with Jen What about you?
Speaker 4: The same, the exact same, the exact same.
Speaker 5: Really, Yeah, listening to Spencer talk, it's just it's infuriating, And I felt the exact same way.
Speaker 6: I feel like, too, there's going to be some shit ads that believe him because he is so believable. And then I felt like that was my husband for the last fourteen years.
Speaker 5: The things that he would say really since that things were happening, because there was things happening before that I didn't understand, and explanations that he would give me.
Speaker 4: I would be like, Okay, yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Totally makes sense that we're losing the house and you did this and you didn't talk to me about it.
Speaker 1: Since Ashley and Mandy were both emboldened to share their own stories after Jen shared hers, we gave Jenna.
Speaker 7: Call I have you on speaker because you're with Ashley and Andy, and Mandy has a very similar story to Ashley, but they both as you know, Ashley wrote into the show and so did Mandy.
Speaker 4: It's how we found her.
Speaker 8: Oh wow, thanks you guys.
Speaker 5: Hi, it is so nice to talk to you.
Speaker 9: You guys too, And I'm really really sorry about what you have gone through.
Speaker 4: You're sweet.
Speaker 7: Jen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're sorry too, girl.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry that you went through it, but I'm grateful that you shared your story with us.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 9: I was just you know, looking for anybody who had been in some sort of sitution situation that could relate. I mean, they're not all the same, but you do really feel alone out there and wonder, you know, does anyone else go through this.
Speaker 4: I'm so grateful for you sharing your hardship.
Speaker 8: Thank you. I wish I was there with you.
Speaker 4: Guys, I wish though too. We love you John.
Speaker 1: As bad as it was, Ashley had a little time, a few hours to process what her husband had done.
Speaker 4: Mandy had none at all.
Speaker 5: I met Michael through a mutual friend I worked with. We started talking on Facebook one day and that's how we started dating. And he was the absolute love of my life. He was the sweetest guy ever. We started dating exclusively at the end of twenty twelve, and then we got married in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 4: It's great. Our marriage was great. I loved it.
Speaker 1: Mandy had shared with me that Michael and his father were in business together but had a falling out in twenty fifteen. It was an acrimonious split that left Michael feeling angry and underappreciated.
Speaker 5: His dad took away the whole business, like went behind his back. It was a really low blow and that really affected Mike. That when I got pregnant with Sophie. He was like, we'll be fine, I'll find another job. He was always into like programming and stuff like that, so he decided that he wanted to do three D design stuff.
Speaker 4: He was down in that basement all the freaking time.
Speaker 1: Mike spent so much time alone in the basement that Mandy thought something nefarious was going on.
Speaker 4: Maybe he was having an online affair. When he would leave.
Speaker 5: I would go and look at the computer and at the history, and there would be like a regular porn site, and I was like, whatever, I don't care about that. But it wasn't like excessive, you know.
Speaker 1: When their daughter, Sophie was born, Michael re engaged with the family for a while, then checked out again.
Speaker 4: He just wasn't there. He was just never there.
Speaker 5: Even my mom was like, something's going on with him. He's being so weird, and I'm like, I know, I don't know what it is. Every time I bring it up or try to talk to me, gaslights me. I don't know what to do. Then all this other stuff was happening, like one one of the cars got repossessed, and then he short sold the house, and then he couldn't afford to pay the payments of the short cell, so we had to go move in with his mom.
Speaker 4: It was just like all boom boom, boom boom.
Speaker 1: They lost everything in rapid succession. Mandy didn't have close family support. It was scary.
Speaker 4: She wrote it out.
Speaker 1: For a while, and eventually Michael found a job at a serial factory. Mandy made extra money working at a local paper company. Michael's mother watched Sophie while they were at work.
Speaker 5: It was seeming like life was kind of getting a little bit more normal again. He seemed to be pulling himself out even more. He was actually going and doing things with us, and so I was really hopeful.
Speaker 1: During that period of optimism, Mandy was confronted with a shocking dose of reality.
Speaker 5: I worked four to midnight. I had just gotten to work and my phone rang. I was like, well, I'm not work.
Speaker 4: I can't answer the phone, you know. So I ignored it, and then they called.
Speaker 5: Right back, and then they called right back again, and then they called right back again, and I was like, okay, obviously this is an emergency, you know. So I go announswer my phone and it's this guy and he says that he's a detective and that they're at my mother in law's house.
Speaker 1: Who incidentally, one week before the detective repeatedly called Mandy at work. Two police officers were canvassing her neighborhood.
Speaker 5: One day, we were about ready to take Sophie to the park and this random older Toyota Corolla car pulls up with these two people in it.
Speaker 4: They get out and I mean they parked like right in front of his mom's house and they see us and they're like hi.
Speaker 5: They're super friendly and they're like how are you guys, and really good and they're like.
Speaker 8: Do you live here? And we're like, oh, yeah, we live here.
Speaker 5: And they're like, oh well, we're just with the police department and we're looking for this guy and they show a picture of this like hispanic guy. I'm all, no, I haven't seen anybody. And he's like, so, who all lives here? And we all introduce ourselves and then he's like your husband's here and I'm like yeah.
Speaker 4: He's like look, can you go get them?
Speaker 5: And I was like sure, And so they introduced themselves and ask him the same question, show him the picture and he's like, no, I haven't seen anything, and.
Speaker 4: They're like, okay, thanks.
Speaker 1: Now a detective said he needed to come and pick her up at work.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh my god. And so I'm like did I do something? Like I'm all like freaking out, like what did I have like this unpaid ticket? And they need to come to my.
Speaker 5: House like I was all these thoughts were and they like, just give us where you're at and we're gonna come right now. I saw FBI on their vests and stuff, and I was, Okay, this isn't anything that I could have done, Like I know, I haven't you know what I mean, Like that's crazy. He's like, Mandy, I'm not gonna sugarcoat anything. I'm just gonna tell you we're serving the search warm because your husband's been looking at downloading childhorn on the dark web for the past two years. I just started screaming. I remember, just dropped him my knees and started screaming.
Speaker 1: Nothing made sense, and yet it suddenly all made sense. The long hours in the basement, his complete withdrawal from the family.
Speaker 11: Was hard to hear that. It was so embarrassed. I was so ashamed. I was so frustrated. I felt so stupid.
Speaker 5: I mean, life was already not like it was before, but everything changed from there.
Speaker 4: I still struggle with it.
Speaker 12: I gave him all of me. I gave him everything. I never trusted another man like that, and then to do that, to do that like that is to me.
Speaker 4: The worst thing you could do. Those are children. I can't even trust you with our child.
Speaker 1: Her house resembled a scene out of Law and Order, except it was her real life and Olivia Benson wasn't making an appearance.
Speaker 4: As soon as we pulled down his street.
Speaker 5: The big huge Rvy, it's like bigger than an Arvy, just blocking the whole driveway.
Speaker 4: They're pulling out computers.
Speaker 1: The two police officers who were there the week prior, supposedly looking for a drug dealer.
Speaker 5: That guy was just a big guy. They just were coming there to make sure Michael was there so they didn't have to send in all these people and him not be there.
Speaker 4: Former Utah US attorney John Hubert mister.
Speaker 13: Gibbs, who was part of an international ring is stretch from Korea through the United States and beyond using bitcoin and anonymizing efforts to hide what they were doing on the dark web and through hard work, detective work, cyber sleuthing they were able to find mister Gibbs and an effect a search worn on his home in Utah and confirmed that he was part of this conspiracy.
Speaker 1: This website was one of the largest and most vile child sexual assault websites in the world. Among those arrested was a US Border Patrol agent, former Homeland Security agent, and assistant high school principal.
Speaker 5: They looked to everything, every nook and connie of that house, and I had to just stand there and watch him do it. The detective was asking me all sorts of questions too, while I'm standing there.
Speaker 4: Was he downstairs? There a lot?
Speaker 5: Did he hide out a lot from you? Is there any other computers? Any other devices? They took every device except my phone. They didn't even ask to see my phone or anything. They took everything else.
Speaker 1: Michael's arrest shattered Mandy. She simply could not bear it. Their small family that she loved so much went up in flames. Mandy and her daughter continue to live with Michael's mother, but Mandy struggled.
Speaker 4: The first month. I couldn't even eat because I was just sick.
Speaker 5: I was sick that that man could have done those things.
Speaker 12: I just completely lost myself. I don't even want to make excuses. I'm so ashamed of the way that I handled it. I could have been stronger.
Speaker 4: She turned to an old dependency to ease the pain. I was just so angry.
Speaker 5: I wanted to be angry for a really long time, and alcohol just fueled that anger.
Speaker 4: I feel like it was good to go through that because I.
Speaker 5: Don't want to carry that anger around anymore. That's exhausting. I went to treatment. I was in treatment for a whole.
Speaker 1: Year while Mandy's got help for substance abuse. Michael's case moved forward. Eventually he was granted release on unsecured bond, no bail. His release meant he would move back to his mother's house, and that Mandy and her daughter needed to find somewhere else to live. A close friend, the father of Mandy's other daughter, offered them a place to stay, and they've become much closer through this awful experience.
Speaker 4: I was on Sophie's birthday.
Speaker 5: Actually it's like one in the morning, and he was trying to get me to like let him see Sophie, and I was like absolutely not, like no, and all of a sudden, Michael just walks in the back door he's totally pasted, and he's like.
Speaker 8: You need to talk to me right now, blah blah blah.
Speaker 5: So his roommate picks up the phone calls the police. He had shoved me too because I talk to him, and so at that point at least come and they took him back to Joe. He still got released again after that, but that was on house arrest.
Speaker 4: Michael tried to convince Mandy that the content he downloaded wasn't that bad. He never tells me the truth.
Speaker 5: It's always it wasn't even that much, or it was I didn't even look at it.
Speaker 4: It wasn't even stuff that I looked at. What else.
Speaker 5: They weren't like little kid little kids. It's like, you know, like younger girls. It was only a couple things in there. A lot of the other stuff was like adult stuff.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 5: It was because I was taking so much adderall and that made me just like really compulsive and want to download all this stuff.
Speaker 13: Mister Gibbs had one hundred videos of some of the most deviant conduct that you could imagine and hopefully never have to imagine. Egregious, disgusting, violent videos of young earls who were bound and raped, in front of the camera, and you have one hundred videos and thirty images of that type of conduct.
Speaker 4: I tried so long to understand and to reason. I have to tell you.
Speaker 1: When I sat at John Huber's office, I saw the description of the images that Mandy's husband was looking at. They were in the sentencing memorandum. I got through too. I don't know. Up until this point, I was existing in ignorance that I just couldn't conceive this awful reality. We've been focusing so much on the families and their trauma, but now the violence was right in front of me.
Speaker 4: I couldn't help a cry.
Speaker 1: It really is as bad as John said. Other revelations in the document offered insight into Michael's defense of his behavior. During his evaluation, he claimed that his abuse of Adderall had caused weird sexual behaviors and a weird impulse to forward and collect. And this is a direct quote from the sentencing memorandum. Whatever drove the defendant's highly devian acts, one thing is clear. The Adderall didn't make him do it. After all, the defendants stopped taking Adderall eight months before law enforcement appeared at his doorstep seized his personal cell phone and found many sickening videos and images plainly kept by him. There were a few other details worth noting in the report. The evaluator requested treatment for meth addiction. The finding was that there was a paraphilic disorder, but it was not pedophilia but fetishistic disorder. And the last and most disturbing, some of the victims in his video collection were the same age as his toddler daughter.
Speaker 5: I didn't want to know the details of it. A totally other nightmare that I don't want to live.
Speaker 1: You know, Michael's sentence was meaningful, forty eight months in federal prison.
Speaker 4: Still you could say he caught a break.
Speaker 1: The government wanted sixty months, and it could have gone as high as eighty four. When Mandy last heard from him, he was in a halfway house, preparing to re enter society. We've been talking a lot about justice and how perpetrators of c SAM were prosecuted and sentenced.
Speaker 4: I wanted to take a step back.
Speaker 1: And meet some of the people on the ground who chase down the leads generated by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. The people who go on those raids, a lot of them are part of the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force or i CAAQ. For sure, there's at least one in every state. IICAC members include federal, state, and local law enforcement. Detective Rue from the Riverton Police Department, he's a part of IKAK. The task force investigates and develops responses to Internet crimes against children. These individuals are unsung heroes. Their purpose for existing is to keep kids safe, and as we learn, it's often at great personal cost. While in Utah, I wanted to visit with them.
Speaker 2: I'm Alan White, I'm the Utah Internet Crims Against Children task Force Commander for the State of Utah. It's out of control. Just back at the commander's meeting. All task forces are receiving so many cyber tip referrals from the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, processing twenty six million cyber tips annually. In Utah, we're on track to see four thousand of those tips.
Speaker 1: The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children is a private nonprofit that receives most of the tips about child sexual abuse material. Some tips come from individuals, but most come from social media companies. The Center then contacts local law enforcement or the state's ICAC team who follow up on those tips.
Speaker 2: The case agents determine is that going to be a knock and talk or do we do a full search warrant and take a tactical team up to the door and serve a search warrant. In some cases it's more educational. It may indicate that it's more of a teenager, and we'll try to focus that interaction more on education. We were out doing a knock and talk a couple of weeks ago and it ended up being.
Speaker 14: A six year old little girl with a YouTube account and.
Speaker 2: There was a legal content on it.
Speaker 4: Google had flagged the account and shut it down.
Speaker 1: This six year old girl was taking images of herself and posting them online, and they were concerning enough to trip whatever algorithm is in place a flag seesam. Her parents had no idea what their daughter was doing.
Speaker 2: They have a phone, they have a camera, they have a video recorder, they have email. It's a small computer, and we're giving these smart devices to our children with unfettered access, and they can manipulate those devices a lot better than.
Speaker 15: Some of the adults.
Speaker 1: That case was an exception, but an opportunity to educate her parents. Most of the tips Ikak receives are of people deliberately creating or downloading child sexual abuse imagery. Alan has seventeen years in the field and he's seeing the damage CCM offenders cause.
Speaker 2: I started this work back in two thousand and six, and I've had different thoughts throughout the years, but as.
Speaker 14: Prevalent as it is, and the amount of manipulation these suspects due to their families, I've had suspects say in an interview, I wondered when you were going to show up their families and the ones they love the most. They're collateral victims and it destroys these families and we get to witness the beginning.
Speaker 15: Of that destruction when we make contact with these people.
Speaker 4: This type of work takes a toll.
Speaker 2: Watching the video to write a description, and that's the absolute worst.
Speaker 15: Part of the job.
Speaker 3: It's emotional, it's not easy.
Speaker 2: The day to day is so I'm thinking of images and videos in my mind that I've experienced, and it's beyond your wildest imagination. What motivates me saving kids, the children we rescue is enough motivation that I'm still in the game. I want to be on the team that continues to protect children.
Speaker 1: There have been days when Alan literally left, walked out and said, I'll be back tomorrow, but I can't do any more today. You tell State Attorney General Sean Reyes acknowledged how tough it gets for his officers.
Speaker 16: When I came in, we instituted mandatory therapy and support so they could access, you know, mental behavioral health specialists who specialize also in kind of battlefield trauma. When you're dealing with the kind of stuff that my agents have to see, especially in the dark Web, that's like the seventh ring of Dante's Hell, like it's the worst of the worst, the worst. You actually have to prove how evil you are by posting or showing and demonstrating certain acts that are so heinous and despicable that I don't even try to think about them when I go home.
Speaker 2: The women and men that do this work, they're every day superheroes.
Speaker 15: They really are.
Speaker 4: Alan introduced us to some of them around the office.
Speaker 2: This is the ICAC team back here, but we're doing it. We're starting with a tour and then I'll disappoint them. So we're starting with the high point.
Speaker 4: We'll report back.
Speaker 2: We have five full time agents. One agent that's a forensic examiner. This is our Hawaiian museum. If you want to take a peek in here. This is a kolu hi.
Speaker 1: I met Akolu de la Santos. His office was a little slice of Hawaiian heaven. Instead of a door, I walked.
Speaker 4: Through hanging beads into groovy music. Wow, a lot of come on in.
Speaker 15: Just take gander. Warm fire right.
Speaker 4: There, a fire burned on the wall.
Speaker 1: It was on a TV monitor, but still it gave the space great atmosphere.
Speaker 15: Just the representing my culture and my family and stuff. I'm from your fiftieth state. That's pretty much it.
Speaker 4: That's not all of it. He is creating Functuay for his mind.
Speaker 15: I like it like this just because, you know, the stuff that we deal with just every day. We have to escape every once in a while, and I like to put up stuff that makes me feel comfortable.
Speaker 1: Culu is a big guy, six foot five, and he looks like a professional bodybuilder, but he only cares about one thing.
Speaker 15: I have four kids, three grandkids, and my motivation just for being here is them. I want to step in and be that guy to you know, when the predator opens the door and they're expecting a thirteen year old girl. It's a three hundred pounds Polynesian guy that they're looking at.
Speaker 1: Even the biggest and the strongest among them concern Alan. He keeps tabs on everyone, making sure that they are coping mental wellness.
Speaker 15: That's my biggest fear.
Speaker 3: That's what keeps me up at night.
Speaker 2: I get emotional talking about it. But yeah, throughout the day, throughout their work, we try to keep one foot in reality regardless of what we're doing. Yea, this is Sade. He's one of the supervisors. I command it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to meet you guys, it's me.
Speaker 10: Yah, sorry, I'm she works out.
Speaker 15: That's that's my form of therapy. It works for me.
Speaker 10: I do it every morning before I come in morning.
Speaker 1: Sete did the forensic work on Jason Litton's electronics.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we assisted with forensics, running the phone in the computers and yeah, that's that's what I did in that case.
Speaker 15: I remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a bad guy.
Speaker 4: But he also goes out into the field.
Speaker 1: He talked about what can happen when they gather a family together and inform them that someone in the house has been downloading illegal content.
Speaker 10: Which is just about almost always figure out just by standing there. It's the person who doesn't want to make eye contact with you.
Speaker 2: Or sinking in the sofa slowly.
Speaker 8: Is it a mixture of mom, dad.
Speaker 2: Or alls often males. There's been three emails that I can think of off the top of my head.
Speaker 15: It's rares.
Speaker 3: It's a female.
Speaker 4: Can you tell us your name for the record?
Speaker 15: Yeah, that's an outlie comments building.
Speaker 1: I was like, this topic has a lot of darkness. It's shrouded in pain. But meeting the people at IKAC was like letting the light in. There are people who really care about their community and are making it safer in whatever way they can. I've been keeping up with the status of Michael Gibbs prison sentence. I was floored to find out that he was out early. So I was wondering how Mandy was navigating his re entry and boundaries with their daughter.
Speaker 10: How are you?
Speaker 17: I am so good good?
Speaker 5: Yeah, from like when I last saw you, I'm doing a lot better.
Speaker 18: What's going on with your acts?
Speaker 5: He is out and he is staying with his mom. He also has a new girlfriend who has three children. Wow, that's a that's a lot, right, that's a lot. Yeah, So the interactions we have are usually between like his mom post grandma, and it's weird and super uncomfortable.
Speaker 18: What's happening with custody.
Speaker 5: I have full custody of her. He has no desire to have full custody of her. He doesn't want to be a full time dad, nor does he think that I'm a bad mom. So he got to see Sophie and now basically he's off my back.
Speaker 4: Michael asked Mandy for visitation as soon as she had.
Speaker 5: Gotten out of prison and was in the halfway house. He was making it sound like as soon as he was out of the halfway house, he's done, Like I served my.
Speaker 4: Time for a mother. It's an agonizing situation.
Speaker 5: It's something that I battle with all of the time. Do I keep her from seeing him because of what he did? All these questions like what is right? And I wish that somebody could just tell me, Mandy, like this is what you need to do, and this is what's right, and this is what's safe, and this is what's good. But nobody tells me that, Like there's nobody that's going to sit down and tell me that I feel. So I just do what I think is right and what I feel like is safe for so and what's safe for me?
Speaker 18: That's me angry that you guys don't have something to measure, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: I know, I wish there was a manual. I wish I could read and like make sense of like how I don't know. I don't know. And the only way that I can treat it is like a child when he's around my child, he needs to be supervised like a child. That's just that, and I feel safe when that's happening. I mean, I trust his family entirely, you know, I just don't trust him, and then that also makes me like start questioning other things, and if I think too much about it, then I'm like in full blown panic attack. So I try to just be like, Okay, there's so many adults there. We're fine. It's fine. She's she's safe, she's happy. I know she's safe. That he doesn't get to have sleepovers with her, and he won't and he doesn't try.
Speaker 18: Have you seen any change in his behavior.
Speaker 5: He's doing great, obviously. He has a new girlfriend in New life, and I get to meet her, which is awesome. I'm super excited to meet her, and conversations with her.
Speaker 18: Sounds like their kas on how did that actually make you feel?
Speaker 5: I'm horrified for her. I've asked him point blank many times, like does she know, like she has three girls? Does she know? And he says that she does.
Speaker 18: Isn't he on the secondfender list?
Speaker 17: Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 17: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So I don't know. I don't know if she knows. It's not coming from a source of jealousy or anger or like upset. I'm not trying to harm or hinder him from having his life, but that the same time, I'm feeling this obligation of some sort and like, how much of it is my place?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Because she's charming as fuck?
Speaker 18: Are you just taking it day by day?
Speaker 5: Or oh girl, that's like literally all I can ever do.
Speaker 18: If you could say one thing to the Mandy that just found out this news at were what would you say to her?
Speaker 17: I would just hug her for a really long time. I would just tell her that I was going to be okay, that no matter what, it was going to be okay, because that's all she just needed to hug. Just yeah, Because there's nothing you can do about any you can't change any of it, and there's going to be so many hard days, so many, so many. I didn't think that I was going to be able to get through, but.
Speaker 18: I hear you are.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just about when we've wrapped up this episode, heard from Mandy. She had an update about visitation with her daughter.
Speaker 5: Last time we had talked, you had asked me if I had heard from the probation officers, and up to that point I had not heard anything. So it was maybe a week after we had talked last I got a message from Mike and he was like, hey, when Sophie was here last time she had hung out with Mike's mom. They had went back to the house and Mike was there with her and Fran was there, which was you know, like, as long as there's another adult, I felt fine with that.
Speaker 1: Fran is her daughter's grandmother and Mike's mother. Mandy wants her daughter to spend time with Fran and trust her to supervise visits with Michael.
Speaker 5: But I guess his probation officer had showed up during that point to like do a check it or job. So she called me and she's like, he can't even be around Sophia until his therapist approves it. So I was just super fresh because I'm like, I'm trying to do everything right and like safe, and I don't know if he knew and isn't telling me. I feel like he's not being honest. After I got off the phone with her, I called him right back and I was like, you have to know. This is part of your probation and stuff. You have to know these things.
Speaker 18: It's insane to me that he doesn't know that he can't be around children.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the thing, isn't asking her? I was like, did he know this or is this something that you guys just decided And she was like, well, you know, there's just requirements like she would not give me. I'm like, yeah, I under that, and she was like, yeah, that works up with this therapist.
Speaker 18: So for a point of clarity, the probation officer told you that Mike can't even be around your daughter, not even supervised visits.
Speaker 5: No, no, not yet, not until you've reached this point with his therapist and not sure how often they meet. I know that that's part of his probation as well. But whenever she gets to the point where she feels that's copathetic, so I have to talk to her therap like that, I'd have to talk to them. I was just talking to the probation officer and she said she would keep me informed.
Speaker 1: You can understand Mandy's frustration. She's trying to protect her daughter and she can't trust her ex husband. It feels like another betrayal. And let's face it, spouses aren't viewed as victims by the law, but the weight of the world is on them to continue to protect their kids. I wanted to look into this for Mandy. What's the process to find out what your ex husband, a convicted FELA can and can't do. So our team did some research and talked with the people who work on probation supervision in Utah, and it took some time. If you're not a lawyer or aren't familiar with the court system, it's overwhelm and it's hard to know where you can access all this information.
Speaker 4: Here's what we learned.
Speaker 1: Anyone could obtain the parameters of an offender's release by requesting the sentencing document from the clerk of the court. The forums are online, but there is a charge for the copy. According to the US Court's Probation and pre Trial Services District of Utah, the defendant, Michael Gibbs is restricted from contact with individuals who are under eighteen years of age without adult supervision, and the probation office approves a supervisor. The treatment provider, that is, whoever is providing mental health treatment the therapy that Mandy referred to must also approve the choice.
Speaker 4: Of a supervisor.
Speaker 1: At the time of me taping this podcast, no one had been approved as a supervisor for Michael to have visitation with a minor child. On the next episode of a trial, I just bald and broke down and told her. She said, if you don't report this, I'm gonna report this, and I was like, oh fuck, it's go time.
Speaker 4: If you would like.
Speaker 1: To reach out to the Betrayal Team, email us at Betrayal Pod at gmail dot com. That's Betrayal Pod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 4: To report a.
Speaker 1: Case of child sexual exploitation, called the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children's cyber Tipline at one eight hundred the Lost.
Speaker 4: If you or someone you know is worried about.
Speaker 1: Their sexual thoughts and feelings towards children, reach out to Stop It Now dot org.
Speaker 4: In the United Kingdom, go to Stop it Now dot org dot UK. These organizations can help.
Speaker 1: Are grateful for your support, and one way to show support is by subscribing to our show on Apple Podcasts and don't forget to rate and review Betrayal. Five star reviews go a long way. A big thank you to all of our listeners. The Trail is a production of Glass Podcasts, a division of Glass Entertainment Group and partnership with iHeart Podcasts. The show was executive produced by Nancy Glass and Jennifer Fason, hosted and produced by me Andrea Gunning, written and produced by Kerry Hartman, also produced by Ben Fetterman, Associate producer Kristin Melcurie. Our iHeart teams, Ali Perry and Jessica Kriintech. Special thanks to our talent Ashley Linton, Alan White and the Utah KAC task Force, and special thanks to Mandy Hale and production assistant Tessa Shields. Audio editing and mixing by Matt Alvecchio. Trail's theme composed by Oliver Bains. Music library provided by my Music and For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.