Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg business Week inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus global business finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week Podcast with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, Welcome to the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week. We're gonna just kind of cut to the chase here because this week has really been so much about what is one of the world's largest market cap companies. It's the chip maker at the heart of the artificial intelligence boom. We are talking about Nvidia, which wrapped up earning season for US and gave a revenue forecast that fell short of some of the most optimistic estimates, stoking concerns that its explosive growth is waning more in the report as it was coming out.
Speaker 3: In just a moment, also this hour, Dell and AI, we speak to the CTO and chief AI officer at the Computer Giant about what's coming.
Speaker 2: Up and later on. Rather than large language models of AI h, we talked simply about learning another language with the CEO of Babbel. All of that to come. We begin with the most anticipated earnings report from this past week, and Vidia, the chip maker, failed to live up to investor hopes with its latest results this past Wednesday, despite beating for the past quarter, but nonetheless, it delivered an underwhelming forecast in news of production snags with its hyped Blackwell chips.
Speaker 3: The company's quarterly report met or beat analyst estimates on nearly every measure, but in Vidia investors have grown accustomed to blowout quarters and the latest numbers didn't qualify. After the company's earnings call, CEO Jensen Wong sat down exclusively with Bloomberg TV's Ed Lovelow to talk about the results and how AI is impacting how every layer of computing is done.
Speaker 4: I think the market wanted more on Blackwell. They wanted more specifics, and I'm trying to go through all of the call and the transcript, it seems like a very clearly this was a production issue and not a fundamental design issue with Blackwell. But the deployment in the real world, what does that look like tangibly and is there sort of delay in the timeline of that deployment and thus revenue from that product.
Speaker 5: I let's see, that's just the fact that I was so clear and it wasn't clear enough.
Speaker 6: Kind of tripped me up there right away.
Speaker 5: And so so let's see, we made a mass change to improve the yield. Functionality of Blackwell is wonderful. We're sampling Blackwell all over the world today. We show people giving tours to people of the Blackwall systems that we have up and running.
Speaker 6: You could find.
Speaker 5: Pictures of Blackwall systems all over the web. We have started volume production. Volume production will ship in Q four. Q four, we will have billions of dollars of Blackwell revenues, and.
Speaker 6: We were ramped from there. We were ramped from there.
Speaker 5: The demand for Blackwell far exceeds its supply, of course in the beginning, because the demand is so great. But we're going to have lots and lots of supply and we will be able to ramp. Starting in Q four, we have billions of dollars of revenues, and we'll ramp from there into Q one, into Q two and two next year. We're going to have a great next year as well.
Speaker 4: Jensen, what is the demand for accelerated computing beyond the hyperscalers and meta.
Speaker 5: Hyperscalers represent about forty five percent of our total data center business.
Speaker 6: We're relatively diversified today.
Speaker 5: We have Hyperscalers, we have Internet service providers, we have Sovereign AIS, we have industries enterprises, so it's fairly fairly diversified. A site outside of Hyperscalers is the other fifty five percent.
Speaker 6: Now, the application.
Speaker 5: Use across all of that, all of that data center starts with accelerated computing. Accelerated computing does everything, of course, from well the models the things that we know about, which is generative AI, and that gets most of the attention.
Speaker 6: But at the core we also.
Speaker 5: Do database processing, pre and post processing of data before you use it for generative AI, trans coding, scientific simulations, computer graphics of course, image processing of course. And so there's tons of applications that people use are accelerated computing for, and one of them is generative AI.
Speaker 6: And so let's see what else can I say? I think that's the.
Speaker 4: Lever jump in Jensen. Please on Sovereign AI. You and I've talked about that before, and it was so interesting to hear something behind it. In this fiscal year there will be low double digit I think you said billions of dollars in Sovereign AI sales. But to the lay person. What does that mean. It means deals with specific governments, if so, where.
Speaker 5: It's not necessarily sometimes it deals with particular regional service provider that's been funded by the government. And oftentimes that's the case in a case of in the case of Japan, for example, the Japanese government came out and offered.
Speaker 6: Subsidies of a.
Speaker 5: Couple of billion dollars I think for several different internet companies and telcos to be able to fund their AI infrastructure. India has a sovereign AI initiative going and they're building their AI infrastructure. Canada, the UK, France, Italy, I'm missing some body, Singapore, Malaysia. You know, a large number of countries are subsidizing their regional data centers so that they could become able to build out their AI infrastructure. They recognize that their countries knowledge, their countries data digital data is also their natural resource, not just the land they're sitting on, not just the air above them.
Speaker 6: But they realize now that their their digital knowledge is part of their.
Speaker 5: Natural and national resource and they had to harvest that and process that and transform it into their national digital intelligence. And so this is a this is what we call sovereign AI. You could imagine almost every single country in the world will eventually recognize this and build out their AI infrastructure.
Speaker 4: Benson, you use the word resource, and that makes me think about the energy requirements here. I think the cool it's about how the next generation models will have many orders of magnitude greater compute needs. But how will the energy needs increase And what is the advantage you feel in Nvidia has in that sense, Well.
Speaker 5: The most important thing that we do is increase the performance of and increase the performance and efficiency of our next generation. So Blackwell is many times more performance than Hopper at the same level of power used, and so that's energy efficiency, more performance with the same amount of power or same performance at a lower power And that's number one. And the second is using luca cooling. We support air cool we support air cooling, we support liquor cooling, but liqual cooling is a lot more energy efficient, and so so the combination of that, all of that, you're going to get.
Speaker 6: A pretty large, pretty large step up.
Speaker 5: But the important thing to also realize is that AI doesn't really care where it goes to school, and so increasingly going to see AI be trained somewhere else, have that model come back and be used near the population or even running on your PC or your phone. And so we're going to train large models, but the goal is not to run the large models necessarily all the time. You can, you can surely do that for some of the premium services and the very high value AIS, but it's very likely that these large models would then help to train and teach smaller models.
Speaker 6: And what we'll end up doing is have one.
Speaker 5: Large, few large models that are able to train a whole bunch of small models and they run everywhere.
Speaker 4: Jensen, you explain clearly that demand to build generative AI product on models or even at the GPU level is greater than current supply in black Vel's case in particular, explain the supply dynamics to me for your products and whether you see an improvement sequentially quarter on quarter or at some point by the end of fiscal year into next year.
Speaker 6: Well, the fact that.
Speaker 5: We're growing would suggest that our supply is improving, and our supply chain is quite large, one of the largest supply chains in the world. We have incredible partners and they're doing a great job supporting us in our growth. As you know, We're one of the fastest growing technology companies in history, and none of that would have been possible without very strong demand but also very strong supply. We're expecting Q three to have more supply than Q two, We're expecting Q four to have more supply than Q three, and we're expecting Q one to have more supply than Q four. And so I think our supply, our supply condition going into next year will be in will be a large improvement over this last year with respect to demand. Blackwell is just such a leap and there's several things that are happening, you know, just the Foundation model makers themselves. The size of the Foundation models are growing from hundreds of billions parameters to trillions of parameters. They're also learning more languages. Instead of just learning human language, they're learning the language of images and sounds and videos, and they're even learning the language of three D graphics. And whenever they are able to learn these languages, they can understand what they see, but they can also generate what they're asked to generate. And so they're learning the language of proteins and chemicals and physics. You know, it could be fluids, and it could be particle physics, and so they're learning all kinds of different languages. They learn the meaning of what we call modalities, but basically learning the languages.
Speaker 6: And so these models are.
Speaker 5: Growing in size, they're learning from more data, and there are more model makers then there was a year ago. And so the number of model makers have grown substantially because of all these different modalities. And so that's just one, just the frontier model. The foundation model makers themselves haven't really grown tremendously. And then the generative AI mark it has really diversified, you know, beyond the Internet service makers to startups and now enterprises are jumping in. Different countries are jumping in, so the demand has really grown.
Speaker 4: Jensen, I'm sorry to cut you off. I will lose your time soon. You've also diversified. And when I said to our audience you were coming on, I got so many questions. Probably the most common one is what is in Nvidia. We talked about you as a systems vendor, but so many points on in Nvidia GPU cloud, and I want to ask, finally, do you have plans to become literally a cloud compute provider?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: Our GPU cloud was designed to be the best version of Nvidia cloud that's built within each cloud. Nvidio DGX cloud is built inside GCP, inside Azure, inside AWS, inside OCI, and so we build our clouds within theirs so that we can implement.
Speaker 6: Our best version of our cloud.
Speaker 5: Work with them to make that cloud, that infrastructure, that AI infrastructure and video infrastructure has performance as great TCO as possible, and so that strategy has worked incredibly well.
Speaker 3: That's in Nvidia CEO Jensen Wong speaking exclusively with Bloomberg Technology co host ed Ludbow. Here The full conversation on the Bloomberg Talks podcast feed, available everywhere you download your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Coming up, another tech company writing the AI wave, Dell recheck in with the CTO and Chief AI Officer at Dell Technologies. Is that on the other side, you're.
Speaker 3: Listening to Bloomberg Business Week. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Easter listen on Applecarplay and then brout Auto with a Bloomberg Business act or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: So a few weeks ago, Dell announced they are getting leaner cutting jobs as part of a reorganization of its sales team to focus on a new group centered on AI products and services. You may recall earlier this year that CEO Michael Dell talked about aipcs being pretty standard in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: We wanted an update about what Dell is doing for that, Bloomberg News reporter Katie Graifeld and I turned to John Rose. He's CTO and Chief AI Officer at Dell Technologies. We spoke to him before the release of Dell's latest earnings report.
Speaker 7: CTOs have been around forever, but chief AI officers, at least at Dell and really in federal government and a few other places started about a year ago.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 7: It was a recognition that this is complex, it's bigger than an IT project. It has to have somebody caring and feeding it because it was a lot of governance and technology coming together. So, you know, for us, it was a year ago that we put the position in place.
Speaker 3: We've talked about the Chief AI Officer in the context of the federal government and the new regulations around federal agencies needing a chief AI officer. Do you think that every company needs a Chief AI Officer?
Speaker 7: I don't I think some companies need chief AI officers if you're doing an at scale kind of AI transformation of a large organization, But if if you're a smaller organization, you need someone who's driving it. But do you need to change your organizational structure? For a company like Dell, we have literally hundreds of not thousands, of projects that are going to happen, and a thirty percent of our work is probably going to shift below.
Speaker 8: The machine line.
Speaker 7: That is a gigantic effort, and having someone in the position from an executive perspective is necessary. But smaller companies are going to depend on companies helping them navigate this rather than creating organizational structures.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm curious in your role how you juggle timelines because you think about the here and now feels like AI has to be in every single conversation. You have a ton of companies trying to gain a foothold or get up to speed or play catch up. But then you also have this fantastic long term opportunity that we talk about all the time that no one really knows what that holds. So I mean, in your day to day, what does it look like trying to juggle those two.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: You know, as a CTO, my job is to make sure we never miss a technology inflection. So things like quantum live under me, and these are long term places. One of the interesting things about AI, though, is that the future is happening now. There is no five year journey that you're going to get to eventually. The disruptions are happening almost weekly, and so this intersection between execution and vision is more pronounced than any other technology I have ever seen. So, you know, good chief AI officer is not just an operational manager. They actually have to be extremely current with the technology and what is emerging so that they don't miss an inflection which could happen in the span of like a matter of weeks.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to figure out the way to ask this, to contextualize it in the right way. But when we talk to people about AI, John, we oftentimes hear them say it's just like the Internet in the nineteen nineties. You're saying no, no, on the scale of impact it is.
Speaker 8: But I was in creating that that year.
Speaker 7: I was the CTL a bunch of networking companies in the nineties, and we had a decade and a half to kind of get there, and it happened slowly over time, it did have a profound impact. I think from a scale perspective it's similar. But the speed in which this is happening, think about it, you know, let me give you an example. It would be technical for a second. There's a term out there called retrieval augmented generation RAT, which now is in the normal of vernaculars.
Speaker 3: Adie and Univer say that to me. I say it all the time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we were just talking about.
Speaker 8: In the commercial ok so common term very important.
Speaker 7: Technology allows you to take your external data and use it with a large language model without the large language model absorbing it.
Speaker 8: That's pretty important, right.
Speaker 7: That term, as a discussion in our industry is about a year old. It's foundational to almost every enterprise AI story that you can imagine. The technology didn't exists three years ago. So the speed in which these things are happening, you know, it's not like we've developed the Internet, then we have ten years to figure it out and mature it and then scale it and twenty years later everybody has to be there. This is if you're not there now, or if you're not moving towards getting there, you're already late. And I haven't seen that happen in any other big technology and FI is it.
Speaker 3: More steam engine like Jamie Diamond talks about Industrial revolution.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's after the steam engine existed and was commercially available. What you saw was this massive uptick you had. And it's actually a good analogy because the steam engine was a way to transfer energy, and you need to transfer energy to do all kinds of things, from producing goods and services to doing transportation, and so it became incredibly pervasive.
Speaker 8: AI is very similar.
Speaker 7: Anybody who tries to piginol that it only does chatbots for, you know, searching staff for it only does enterprise applications X, Y, and Z is wrong because it's a foundational technology. It's a different way to distill information into knowledge and wisdom, and you're going to apply it everywhere, much like we did when we moved to the internal combustion engine.
Speaker 9: Well, let's talk about AI as it relates to Dell's business, because of course you've made an aggressive pivot when it comes to the AI server space. How different is the manufacturing and sales versus the traditional server manufacturing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, first thing, maybe to Dispelomith, we didn't actually do an aggressive pivot, meaning about four or five years ago, we built our first AI service Wait before Jenai, and the reason for it was that there were deep neural networks, there were early AI systems. Nobody understood them except maybe one hundred thousand people or smart enough, and so we had been building these systems for quite a while and predicting that there would be a time where this would explode, this would be something that would be bigger. So when CHATGPD happened and suddenly Jennai was available, we had this large language model explosion. We actually already had products that were ready to go into the market, and that's one of the advantages we had as this market formed. We were actually already there. And then what we had to do is adapt a little bit. But our supply chain was in place, our service organization was in place. We had to kind of optimize who we were selling to because it was new customers, but it wasn't really a gigantic surprise. The other thing that we have now included is that there isn't significant difference between the two markets in AI that we participate in.
Speaker 8: The first is the training market.
Speaker 7: These large scale deals that we tend to be winning a lot of and are very interesting. And then the enterprise, which is actually not a training business, it's more of an inference business. It turns out that the products that we're building in the training site at scale transfer almost literally into the enterprise unmodified, which is a very good thing because we can address two markets with a portfolio.
Speaker 3: Hey, John, one thing that we're really interested in is understanding who your AI server customers are today. We did see Michael Dell's tweet on shipping too Musk's XAI initiative. How would you define your AI server customers? Is its second tier cloud that's accounting for the growth. Where are the traditional enterprise when it's coming to AI adoption.
Speaker 7: Well, first, there's two very distinct markets. There is the traditional enterprise, which is still an early market. It's mostly experimentation. Those experiments are now graduating and giving an example internally, we have a project that was first an experiment around our service organization, creating some that would allow people to make intelligent choices about troubleshooting a problem. We then very quickly move from a prototype to thousands of people, and we're on a path the potentially forty thousand of our service technicians using this technology and a span of literally measured in six.
Speaker 8: Months or so. So the enterprise is on that journey.
Speaker 7: We haven't really hit scale in any meaningful way, but we have a lot of things in the pipeline as people are figuring it out. That market, i would say, is my view, is a bigger market because there are millions of enterprises and every process and every enterprise is a target for this technology. But it takes time to get to a point of stability, to transfer the knowledge and too basically get moving great future. The today market is mostly characterized by the ones you mentioned. It's companies that are building their own foundation models. They are training large scale models. That's not what enterprises do. Enterprises, you use those models to do inference tasks. The training business is growing dramatically because quite frankly, that's the underlying engine of all layout.
Speaker 3: But is it only a handful of companies that are doing it.
Speaker 7: It's not a very big market in terms of compared to the tens of millions of enterprises that are going to use size that are going to use it. The people that are going to produce these models is not anywhere near that number. There's more than a handful of them. There are certain tiers of them, as you mentioned, there are even certain enterprise, very large enterprises, Xtra being a good example. You're talking about the Yeah, they're also training their own models. But the thing that makes them all the same is every one of those companies is building infrastructure to train large scale foundation models. Enterprises aren't. Enterprises are using those models, putting them into production, maybe fine tuning them, and so there's a very different market forming, but they're happening kind of a little out of phase, but in parallel.
Speaker 9: When it comes to competitive landscape, what does Dell offer that a super micro or even in Nvidia doesn't.
Speaker 7: Yeah, first of all, AI is not just a server transaction. There is storage networking, but more importantly, it's especially when you go to the enterprise, it's end to end. When you're talking about deploying enterprise AI, you have to put it where your people in data are, which includes the AIPC, edges, distributed architectures. And that's why you know when training may be able to consume servers, just as a standard component, enterprise has to consume systems and more and more the training infrastructures are consuming systems and that's why our expertise and networking and storage and data center design, power cooling, all the things that we do because we're very broad come together and give us an advantage in both of those markets. More pronounced in the enterprise side.
Speaker 3: We talk a lot about power consumption and with power consumption comes great responsibility. But actually that's not really the quote heat generation. That's what comes with power consumption. What does Dell offer to help lessen AI's power.
Speaker 7: Use, Well, well, the first thing is, you know, okay, first fact is when you add a whole pile of compute, you have to use energy to do that. And yes, AI is a significant increase in the overall power consumption because we've increased the compute capacity of the world by potentially orders of magnitude. The levers we have to deal with that are quite numerous. The biggest one that's going on right now is we're moving to directly with cooling in a more pervasive way, and that is a much more efficient way of getting the energy out of these systems and basically dealing with cooling. But that requires a retrofitive infrastructure and investment, but it turns out it does work quite well. We've been doing direct liquid cooling for I think twenty years or alienware products and the gaming side have been doing this for it. You know, you can't buy one now that doesn't have direct liquid cooling. So it's a space that's important. But beyond that, there are other decisions you make.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: One of the most interesting ones that we're exploring, and this is more for the enterprise side, is once you choose to put your AI into production, there are two places and an enterprise that you can run it. You could run it in a data center, which is what people are starting with. Or there's this little thing called an AIPC emerging, which says, what if I take that model, I re quantize it. I basically make it small enough to run locally, and I move it out to the computing device onto the PC itself.
Speaker 3: Doesn't that still use the energy, but it just uses it locally rather than the energy is still.
Speaker 7: Being use but the energy was going to be used anyway. Those PCs one, they're distributed, so they're not sitting at one choke point on the grid. I don't need to put megawatts to a PIEC. I have AC outlets everywhere. I have batteries on them, and in fact, the total number of mips in the world sitting on PCs is probably bigger than the total amount of mips in a data center MIPS million instructions per second, the measure of compute performance. And so the reality is, you know, look at a typical AIPC today and it's a relatively small amount of NPU capacity neural processing unit capacity, but if you multiply it by a billion PCs, it's a pretty big footprint to go after.
Speaker 3: That was John Rose, chief technology officer and also chief AI officer at Dell Technologies. Bloomberg's Katy Greifeld joining there as well.
Speaker 2: When we come back more of that conversation with Dell's John Rose, including what makes a PC an AI PC?
Speaker 7: A few years ago we started looking and saying, well, could we build an optimized processor that was really very power efficient to do AI task that's called a neural processing unit. And so when we just announced whole bunch of Qualcom based aipcs, and we have Intel based aipcs, and the thing that makes them an AIPC in most cases is it has all three of those processors, and.
Speaker 3: Well, I learns to speak more like humans. Quite a few humans are using AI to speak to other humans.
Speaker 10: Nice in our US product or English speakers learning Spanish. We have rolled that out already and people are very engaged with it. It doesn't judge you. I mean, it gives you feedback, but you're not embarrassed in front of the AI.
Speaker 11: You know, it's very effective.
Speaker 3: The CEO of the Language learning at Babble. On the other side, this is Boom.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on Apple car Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business App. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station just Say Alexa playing Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: A couple of companies are betting that we're going to need more powerful computers to run programs at home AI. That kind of makes sense. Dell is one of those companies. As we mentioned earlier, CEO Michael Dell has talked about aipcs being pretty standard in twenty twenty five, but I feel like Tim, we're still trying to figure out what exactly does that mean exactly?
Speaker 3: So what makes a PC an AIPC. It's a question that I posed to John Rose, chief technology and chief AI officer at Dell Technologies. Here's the rest of our conversation along with Bloomberg's Katie Creifeld.
Speaker 7: Today, the definition is that it has a neural processing unit. So technical for a second. You know, all PCs have central processing units X eighty six processors. That's what most of us run our stuff on. And then years ago we put graphic processing units GPUs, which now in video is quite popular with the in the data center. Same architecture sits on almost every PC, just smaller scale. And then a few years ago we started looking and saying, well, could we build an optimized processor that was really very power efficient to do AI task. That's called a neural processing unit. And so the latest you know, Intel processors, Qualcom processers actually have all three on the system. And we just announced whole bunch of Qualcom based aipcs, and we have Intel based aipcs, and the thing that makes them an AIPC in most cases is it has all three of those processers.
Speaker 8: You put them all.
Speaker 7: Together and you end up with an actually pretty beefy system that still is low power runs on a battery can take away with you. The trick is which we haven't done as an industry yet, is when we put the AIS into production, moving more of those workloads out onto those PCs moves them out of the data center. You've shifted the work, you've shifted the power and cooling, You've distributed it into a place that's ready for it, and that buys us a significant amount of capacity for the things that truly belong in.
Speaker 8: A data center.
Speaker 7: We're going to do both, but today most people only do one of them, and they're not taking advantage of the billion PCs out there that could in fact be doing this work instead of.
Speaker 8: In the data center.
Speaker 9: Well, I'm glad you brought us to aipcs because that's where I wanted to go, because Dell has been out front talking about aipcs really starting helping to start the conversation there. I think there's some stat out there that says that forty percent of new PCs shipped in twenty twenty five will be aipcs. Does that sound realistic to you? What are you modeling?
Speaker 7: I mean, if you look at the roadmap from Intel and definitely Qualcomm and others, they're all moving in this direction. You know, most of the latest Intel chips are absolutely you know the ones that are coming in, the ones they're in the market are qualified as AAIPC is the new Qualcom chip sets that are now in the market on our products and starting to roll out definitely AI. So it's not a function of you know, wanting to do something special. It's actually becoming mainstream. There will be non AIPC chipsets out there because not everybody needs this. But in the business context, if you're going to put a copilot out on a PC, if you're going to run that troubleshooting tool for your support group, if I can do that on an AIPC, the net impact is that it will be able to do it more efficiently. The NPU just uses less power for the same task, and so you end up with a much more efficient, much more performance system. Microsoft has released a whole pile of copilot stuff that runs locally on It's called Copilot Plus and includes image replacement and prediction summarization. And they realize a long time ago that pushing a bunch of this stuff to be processed locally has a net effect from a sustainability environmental impact of getting things into a place that already has the power to eliminate the burden on some of the data center architectures.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what is a real use case for an AIPC. Yeah, well, I mean there's customers figured it out.
Speaker 8: They are figuring it out.
Speaker 7: The biggest one that's very visible right now is if you run the copilot plus technologies from Microsoft, which it's their kind of end to end stack, when you move them out onto the PC one, it always works with you too. It generally tends to be more private data because the data doesn't move out into a cloud. And number three, the biggest impact is just runs more efficiently. The non Microsoft examples are already emerging. You have people like Adobe and others that are starting to think about how can I run my web app so that the processing is done locally to do background insertion. We have stuff that we built internally for our own uses around this troubleshooting tool and technology to help get a large language model powered AI engine underneath all my support technicians. Guess what, Dell support technicians rarely spend time in our data center. They're out in your data center, and they got to bring those tools with them, and they might not have network access there because of security reasons. If I can bring the AI with me, then I guarantee a high quality of service. There's a lot of those, and on and on. Member AI is horizontal. We haven't figured out all the use cases. Just ask yourself, where do you want to bring intelligence that augments a human being in real time efficiently? And that's where you need an AIPC shoulder.
Speaker 12: Yeah, just telling me what to do.
Speaker 9: Can we talk about pricing here though?
Speaker 1: When it comes to.
Speaker 9: An AI PC, how do you price that relative to a normal PC?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I'm not a pricing guy, so I have no idea what the you know, where the market will land. What we do believe is there's more value in an AIPC if you have this ability to do these tasks in a more efficient way and are performant way, and you can't do them on an alternative PC, Clearly that has value. And we already have lots of pricing bands within our industry. You know, there's a huge difference between an alienware you know, gaming machine and a chromebook. They are both technically PCs. One of them you can run high performance gaming and the other one you can't. And so we'll see that kind of stratification occur, but these are not things that are exotic and out of the realm. In fact, our newest products of the qualcom ones were just released. If you look at them, they're pretty mainstream pricing. These are not the old days of you spend five thousand dollars for a laptop to do something special. It's kind of within the realm of normal pricing, if you will. But it is a value play in the sense that does something that quite frankly, you know, is better than if it wasn't there.
Speaker 3: Hey, John, very very briefly, when you're thinking about money you're spending, where's the investment going thirty seconds?
Speaker 7: Investment in aim? Well, well, I mean significantly two things. One, obviously, from a product line perspective, we are investing heavily on building out the products and services and technologies and to enable our customers to build out their AI environment. And that's AI enabling and evolving our entire portfolio.
Speaker 3: That was John Rose, chief Technology Officer and Chief AI Officer at Dell Technology. It's a big thank you to to Katie Greifeld of Bloomberg TV and Bloomberg News for joining me for that conversation. Are you ready for your PC to be an AI PC?
Speaker 2: I'm still not sure. I feel like there's still so much I need to learn. I will say, I think a lot of stuff we're gonna be doing is on our phones.
Speaker 12: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll see I don't know. I think about like schools too, Like when will they adopt AIPCS in schools?
Speaker 3: Yeah, many kids across the country already back in school after summer break. Can you believe it?
Speaker 2: That is crazy? Like I just I don't know. I can feel it though, and like this city's winding down, the city's winding on.
Speaker 3: We do it a little differently during New York. Yeah, we start later after Labor Day New Jersey to.
Speaker 2: Wait, California, Did you grow up that way?
Speaker 3: I don't even remember, Okay we didn't.
Speaker 2: We were after Labor Day?
Speaker 3: Well in New Jerseys.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Many of the kids, when they go back to school, or maybe they're back in school, they'll take language classes. Maybe they'll learn Spanish, Mandarin, French, or they'll do what I did. What's that?
Speaker 12: Nothing?
Speaker 3: Take Latin? Yeah, not the most practical of languages when it comes to world Just saying, well you don't have to be in school to learn a new language. There's no shortage of apps and services out there to help you do that. Do a lingo or is that a stone? Memorize and more such as Babel. Back with us as Julie Hansen, us CEO of Babbel, she joins us from New York. Julie, good to have you with us. I mentioned a few names there, some of them publicly traded, including dual Lingo. How do you differentiate given that when you google language learning apps there's like five up there that are just sponsored results. There's a lot of competition in your space. How do you do it?
Speaker 10: It is a competitive space, but I think there really are two big players in the market, and Babel is one of them. Our differentiation is all about our pedagogy, but I can use that term or you know, the kind of the way we approach the learning, the seriousness of it and the effectiveness of it. You know, we have studies that have shown that Babel is more effective than others in actually learning a language, but a lot comes down to also your personal style, the way you learn. Everyone learns differently, so we try to make sure we reflect all the different ways of learning in the app, writing, reading, speaking, of course the most important Hey, how do.
Speaker 2: You measure success? Because I think about we talked with you, wasn't it around like the New Year? And we talked about how people in the New Year sometimes are like I want to learn to do this or that, I want to lose weight, I want.
Speaker 12: To learn a language.
Speaker 2: So I am curious, how do you guys measure success that people actually have become have learned the language and can converse and are fluent.
Speaker 10: Even, Yeah, that is a great question, and I can assure you we spend so much time on that topic. There's really two main ways to think about it. One is against the safer the common European frame of reference, which is kind of a formal way of evaluating language abilities, and that is that's very common in Europe. Everyone knows it. But even here in the US that framework is understood and used in some circles, and so we measure people's advancement against it. But at the same time, the most important thing and what we're trying to do in battle because we know will never make you fluent, No app will make you fluent, So we're trying to help you get comfortable having a conversation. So we actually ask our users to evaluate subjectively personally their view of their progress, and that's for us like their own personal learner. Success rating is our number one way of looking at it, because at the end of the day, if you're you know, a B one on the C for scale but you can't speak, then are you really making the progress you want? Or if you're a sloppy a something, but you're you're getting out there and making conversation, like, that's really more success in many ways, Julie.
Speaker 14: So those two pays you.
Speaker 3: Said that no app will will make you fluent, but can developments with AI and perhaps maybe a conversation partner that is a bot eventually make you fluent, Like, do you think that no app will ever make you fluent or are we on a sort of pace to get to that at some point in the near future.
Speaker 10: Well, fluence is a very high bar. Fluent is you know, live there, speak it like in.
Speaker 3: That language, right, Yeah, that's what they always say.
Speaker 11: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 10: And when I got to that point in college when I dreamt in French like, it was incredibly thrilling.
Speaker 8: It's long gone, by the.
Speaker 3: Way, I know a place where you can work on it.
Speaker 10: We completely agree with you that a chat bot can serve that purpose. In fact, in our US product for English speakers learning Spanish, we have rolled that out already and people are very engaged with it. It doesn't judge you. I mean, it gives you feedback, but you're not embarrassed in front of the AI. You know, it's very effective. We didn't, by the way, just throw an LLM in the app and say have at it. Like we had a kind of an expert train it for a considerable period of time and that's what makes it successful. But absolutely that is going to help more and more.
Speaker 2: What's the demographics. Is it a lot of people maybe younger starting jobs or what is it? Is there some I'm always curious about, like the folks to use in your platform.
Speaker 10: It is a mix. Honestly, it's not school kids. We are not aimed at that market for various reasons. In many ways, our best users are older, you know, over call it forty five, because they have time. You know, they have time in their lives to pursue this. But it's really all ages. Remember that in the US, you know, in grade school, only twenty percent of students ever take a language.
Speaker 3: Our thanks to Julie Hansen, us CEO of Babbel, and that.
Speaker 2: Wraps up the first hour of the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week from Bloomberg Radio. Ahead. In our next hour, with the US Open now underway in New York City, we talk about this year's record breaking fan week with the heads of marketing and event services over at the USTA.
Speaker 3: Plus, it's the new age of sports betting and the stakes have never been higher. Our Bloomberg BusinessWeek senior editor breaks down the forthcoming cover story of the.
Speaker 2: Magazine and escaping the real world courtesy of Bloomberg Pursuits. We'll explain this is Bloomberg Business Week.
Speaker 3: I'm Carol Masser and I'm Tim Stinebeck's stay with us. Today's top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Easter Listen on Apple car Play and then brought auto with a Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube plenty Ahead.
Speaker 2: In our second hour of the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week, including how betting is devouring Sports. It's the forthcoming cover story of Bloomberg business Week magazine. It is all about sports and.
Speaker 3: Gambling, plus dozens of delightful diversions that will take you to another place this fall, from books, to TV, theaters and more, courtesy of our Bloomberg Pursuits team.
Speaker 2: First up this hour, the US Open is currently underway in New York City, with hundreds of thousands of fans descending upon Queens, New York. It's well, I think it's safe to say it's one of our favorite things to do of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question. Not only do we get the chance to watch some of tennis's biggest and best what's the drink, the rising stars of the Honey Deuce, Oh, the honey Dews.
Speaker 2: It's all about the Honeyduce.
Speaker 3: Because we're Trips to Flushing Meadows usually include a pulse check also with those who understand the growth of the sport, how to provide food and drinks to so many hungry and thirsty tennis fans, and what it takes to put together the best overall fan experience, including an Avengers inspired US Open comic book.
Speaker 2: Kirsten Corio is USTA Chief Commercial Officer. She joined US Live from the US Open to reflect on how it's already a record year for the event.
Speaker 15: We had just unprecedented demand all year. When we first went on sale the original American Express Early Early Access for the pre sale, we sold as many tickets in the first hour as we did in five days last year. So it's just double digit percentages up. The on sale a week later, double digit percentages up. The demand is nuts.
Speaker 3: There was this big concern two years ago that with Serena Williams no longer are playing, that you wouldn't see huge demand here in the US. That obviously wasn't the case. We talked to you about that last year. How do you explain the growth from last year to this year?
Speaker 10: Though?
Speaker 15: I think there are nearly a million people nine hundred and fifty seven thousand to be exact, who enjoyed the twenty twenty three US Open, who said, Man, I'm definitely coming back in twenty twenty four, and I'm going to take some more friends with me, and I'm going to tell all my friends.
Speaker 14: That's the simplest answer I can give you.
Speaker 15: But you know, beyond just the success of this event, it feels like for the past few years, tennis has been having a moment. More people in the US are playing tennis.
Speaker 2: Thanas and perhaps about tennis.
Speaker 14: And as challengers.
Speaker 15: The movies and DAYA represent representing the sport beautifully and I just have to, you know, credit the growth of tennis participation as an element in the desire for people to come out and see the top pros in the world.
Speaker 2: Kirsten, how many people are returnees? Like?
Speaker 12: How much?
Speaker 2: What percentage of folks are just coming to the Open year after year after year?
Speaker 14: Oh a lot.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 15: More than fifty percent of our Arthur Ash tickets are sold to full series ticket subscribers who do purchase all twenty five sessions You're in, You're Out, and those were new at ninety eight ninety nine percent.
Speaker 2: Which is amazing. And what about the age demographics. I think we've talked with you about this and I think I feel like golf went through it. Maybe I don't know if tennis ever went through a little bit of a lull.
Speaker 12: Or people were worried.
Speaker 2: I don't know that that was the case, But I mean, is it continuing to attract a younger generation as well?
Speaker 12: Well?
Speaker 14: I think the short answer is yes.
Speaker 15: But fan week is which is now part of the three week and one day US Open. The main draw runs for two weeks. The qualifying tournament runs the week prior that. We've called fan Week, and we've built in all kinds of ten poll events to attract a more diverse younger audience, younger families to that. And we had a record two hundred and sixteen thousand people come through that week, that Fan Week, and so that's really the way that we can attract a younger audience, a younger demographic. We gave away ten thousand free rackets thanks to Wilson during that week, and we have Heineken Happy Hours from five to seven and every one of those days of block Party. So I think that's a factor too in trying to attract the younger audience to how cool it is to be out here.
Speaker 2: It works like and it translates into people coming to the Open.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: How much more capacity do you have when we talk about the number that came on Monday, more than seventy four thousand, Can you actually fit more people here?
Speaker 14: We can't fit more people in the stadium.
Speaker 15: The stadium's capacity Arthur Ash Stadium is a fixed capacity.
Speaker 14: Louis Armstrong is a fixed capacity.
Speaker 15: But we also now are selling evening grounds passes, which is something we haven't done for a while, so we can get more people. We didn't like the concept of not allowing people to come into the grounds if there's tennis being played outside of those two stadiums, and you can go freely and watch those if you stay all day with the grounds pass. But if you only want to come for the evening and watch those matches, will sell you a grounds evening.
Speaker 3: When are those matches taking place in the first in the second week?
Speaker 15: Could you have it in the early rounds, in the first and in the first and second round. You know, every one of our courts is filled with competition, and some courts have matches that will run all the way up until midnight, depending on how long the matches are.
Speaker 14: If they're quick matches, perhaps not.
Speaker 15: But you know in our first couple nights, in our first four nights of the first two rounds, you're likely to catch some great tennis on the outer courts as well as inside the stadium.
Speaker 2: Well, I was goun say, I have to say, when I walked in, I was just blown away by the crowd, even looking bigger than last year, and I don't know if that's the case, but it really like amazes me and over the years of coming here just how it continues to grow.
Speaker 15: Yeah, and so we think we're going to get a million fans through the three weeks in one day on tsype, a record, which would be a record last year nine hundred and fifty seven thousand. This year, we're on track to meet and exceed that record. The weather's been great, yeah, and that definitely helps, definitely helps people come out. And the events that we added through fan week and into the finals weekend. We've added a finals weekend festival and watch party in Louis Armstrong Stage, as well as a finals weekend banfest after party Saturday night does after the Women's final. You know, we'll sleep a little bit on September ninth, we start all over again.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: You know what I noticed, I think last year when you rolled up to be interviewed by us, you had like a big energy drink with you, And I don't see the energy drink right now. So I think that's a good sign as to where we are in the tournament.
Speaker 14: Like you're feeling good, We're feeling great.
Speaker 15: Yeah, next week we might need a little bit more of the adrenaline and the energy drink. But we're feeling great. We're just energized and axhilerated.
Speaker 14: To see it all.
Speaker 3: You mentioned you mentioned the weather. Do you see a decline in the number of fans who come out when a day's so hot, I mean so hot that some of the tennis players complain about it?
Speaker 14: Yeah, I think I think that's a factor.
Speaker 15: You know, I think there are certain people, especially those that have had the privilege of being out to sessions before either this year or other years, who may make a judgment call of if they don't feel that they can handle being a ninety plus degree heat.
Speaker 2: So how do you think about year after year, like how you like you continue some of the things that are working, How you think about new ways right because you think about revenue streams and how do you continue to build out.
Speaker 14: The business So on the business side and keeping a balance.
Speaker 2: Of keeping the sport pure that people don't walk through and feel like it's too commercial.
Speaker 15: That's why Fan Week and I'm sorry, I'm gonna keep harping on it like that is such an important investment.
Speaker 14: For us, and it is free.
Speaker 15: For all fans to attend every one of those days, seven days to come in free, to go into Arthur ash Stadium and watch the top pros practicing. You can sit in the front row. A few days ago, I walked in before the main draw and saw Coco playing a practice match against Sabalanca, which is like amazing Arthur ash Stadium competitively, but it's a practice match. And I'm looking at the fans sitting around that court who got in for free, and I'm thinking they're seeing a reprise of the women's final last year for free.
Speaker 14: So that's really important. Now.
Speaker 15: Business is of course very important too, and we do know that fifty percent ish of people who attend fan Week do ultimately buy tickets for the main draw, so it is a pipeline to build future fans. Adding tent pole events during that fan week that our ticketed events is helping grow the business as well and provide more exposure for our players. And so when we think about ticket sales and hospitality and premium, which are primary revenue streams, that's that's sort of how we begin to introduce some test new ticketed products. On the premium and experience side, We've we've been adding new products to meet some of that experiential demand. This year we have a finals weekend clinic. A very limited number of clients will have the privilege of doing that, playing on a court with Andrea Agassi and Andy Rotick before the men's final, before the women's final, and sitting in the court side premiere first few rows ticketed product and so hospitality and experiences are a big part of that too.
Speaker 12: How limited, So that's a.
Speaker 15: Limited are trying to twenty empowerson twenty four for each session?
Speaker 16: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 15: That's a pretty cool thing. And the women sold out first, which we also love that.
Speaker 12: Who are they working within the women?
Speaker 14: Same thing, same but the draw being the women's final.
Speaker 12: Love that.
Speaker 3: How are things looking on the sponsorship side in terms of demand? What you're hearing from companies, the appetite for them to come back and extend their agreements and partnerships with you guys, They've been great.
Speaker 15: We've got, you know, a small ish roster of partners, twenty four official sponsors, seven of which have been with us for more than thirty years.
Speaker 14: So there's a really strong renewal history and track record here.
Speaker 15: And you see our partners on the grounds activating everywhere and entertaining their own clients, but also interacting with fans and enhancing the experience for fans. The MX fan experience was open during Fan Week as well, and we added two new partners this year. We added Destination DC for Washington DC tourism and n We added Moet as our official champagne partner, which has come in handy.
Speaker 3: Are you able to reliably raise prices each year for those brand opportunities to keep the revenue growing at the USTA From that side.
Speaker 15: As long as we can demonstrate more value to the partner, you know, the market, the value of the partnership can increase, but it's all dependent on what value does the partner wish to extract from the US Open and how can we quantify and qualify, you know, the value.
Speaker 2: That we've been able to deliver to that partner over their term. What's fun about the sports world for you? Because you spent what fourteen years of the NBA. I know we always bring this up, but I think here you're doing, you know, tennis. There's so much going on. We've had a week where the NFL said okay for private equity to buy into you know firms, We have been doing a lot of stuff a business week about the explosion of gambling basically right when it comes to all things sports. But what's interesting for you to kind of watch this progression and where things.
Speaker 14: Are sports is just fun sports and live entertainment. To me, it's great.
Speaker 15: You can't predict everything, and that's what makes it really serendipitous and fun, but also sometimes stressful. Sometimes the energydrink. Energy drink is required. But we also we just announced with our partner's ESPN. Yeah, we've extended our relationship through twenty thirty seven.
Speaker 14: It will be the longest deal in.
Speaker 15: Tennis and they're a fantastic partner and we couldn't be more thrilled about that.
Speaker 14: So that's that's the big fun news.
Speaker 15: That did require a little help from our partner Moet in celebrating that one.
Speaker 14: But that makes it really.
Speaker 12: For the bottles, like a couple of courts.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe maybe when we speak to you next year, what's going to be the biggest change.
Speaker 14: Wow for the twenty twenty five US.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we're already thinking about it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we're about you are you will be in a week?
Speaker 15: We sure are, I mean a couple of weeks it's interesting, like day one begins and we already have a twenty twenty five list beginning of Okay, we're going to do this differently for next year. But you know, I'll say, when we look at the fan Week and the tent pole events, we love them. We want to make them bigger, better, you know, more exciting performances, and they really are a testing ground for us. You can't predict the competition on the court and the main draw, but you can plan for and create new experiences for the fans that come out and new ways to deliver that to people digitally. And when we think about digital, you may not see it here on the grounds. If you wanted to take a walk over to the Advantage Arena, you could play Fortnite, you could play US.
Speaker 14: Open, right.
Speaker 3: That was Kirsten Koreo, USTA Chief Commercial Officer.
Speaker 2: We continue our US Open coverage with a deeper look at not only the tennis event itself, but the venue that hosts its.
Speaker 13: All.
Speaker 2: I mean it is about the experience. Chris Studley is Senior director of Event Services at the USTA.
Speaker 13: We've had a great year.
Speaker 16: Of course, you kicked off with Fan Week just a little over a week ago, welcome more folks than ever before to our site. During that period, people are finding out about it. Right, we don't have tickets that week, and people are flooding out here to check out the action, get close to the player.
Speaker 3: Is all food and beverage that's available this week and next week available during fanweek.
Speaker 13: It's a great question.
Speaker 16: So years prior we've kind of opened up slowly, but we knew that we were promoting this and trying to get more fans interested in it, so we opened the entire food village. We opened a few rush ttaurants as well that wouldn't have been opened in the past, and people really responded well. I mean the fans that came out over two hundred and sixteen thousand of them. So we set all kinds of records and people realized what a deal. I can come on the site for free. I can get up close with the stars of today.
Speaker 13: It's incredible.
Speaker 2: Having said that, how do you think about the experiences that you want in terms of hospitality, because we certainly see certain things that come back every year, but then there's some new stuff, So tell us about kind of the menu that you think about.
Speaker 16: Absolutely, so we look at all the data, right, we have spreadsheets upon spadhets. I don't want to bore you with those details. It's more fun to talk about the drinks.
Speaker 13: Sure, So that's so cool.
Speaker 3: Readsheets is our language.
Speaker 16: So we can look back and look at sales over prior years. I mean I'm talking dating back to over ten years ago, and we can see the trends in everything. Right, what's the hot item, what needs to stay if you will. What are we looking at that may not move? What's not moving the needle? What are our fans asking for? Maybe they're not buying. So we go in every year with a fresh perspective of Hey, in this stand, there's three or four items.
Speaker 13: This one's on the bottom. Let's refresh that.
Speaker 16: Let's do something new with it and see if it responds. So it gives us that opportunity and just like that, over the years, when we've evaluated like this, we've gotten feedback, Hey, try this, try that, and it actually shapes.
Speaker 13: The food village a little bit every year.
Speaker 16: We piloted last year and the year before we were piloting a mobile ordering system. We realized that our event, our fans weren't really interested in it. What they wanted to do was take that walk down the food villad.
Speaker 13: You mentioned yourself.
Speaker 2: I kind of love doing it and like looking at but there are sometimes lines and I'm like, I can't I can't wait.
Speaker 3: Job is to make sure there are How do you do that?
Speaker 16: Well, you know, we we look at everything from the technology that we use to process the transactions down to how the honey duce is made in a tap system. Now, so by the way, you get the perfect ratio of vodka lemonade to raspberry, look for.
Speaker 3: Autocado. The melons have a Chipotle to make the guacamole.
Speaker 2: I like, there is there's a tap system.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well the melon ball is so interesting. Story about those.
Speaker 16: You know, we're projected and hopefully do a half a million honey duces this year. I think three million balls per honey duce. You're talking one point five million mellon balls. And we have a team that puts them on skewers. So they come in bald already, but there is a team. But they come, they come bald. Okay, they come bald.
Speaker 13: We have yes, I'm just going to.
Speaker 12: Say it could be like Chris's handing Simon. You're here to get the assignments. You're on the Mellon ball team.
Speaker 2: I'm really sorry, but you're going to be like making Mellon balls in the back of it.
Speaker 13: They're the unsung heroes for sure.
Speaker 3: You're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much revenue does the honey juice bring in?
Speaker 12: Or what can you tell us?
Speaker 13: You know, we saw some.
Speaker 12: Numbers, so I'm curious.
Speaker 13: What did you guys say?
Speaker 12: Nine million dollars in sales?
Speaker 16: That's probably fair? And were we last year? We sold about four hundred and sixty two thousand, all right?
Speaker 3: And how much are they eat?
Speaker 13: Twenty two last year, twenty three this year?
Speaker 3: Okay? He held you sold how many last year?
Speaker 13: About four hundred and sixty two thousand? Okay?
Speaker 3: So yeah, so that's about ten point six million in revenue. Okay.
Speaker 2: Combine the men's women's tournament win winners get seven point two million in winnings, so you're making more.
Speaker 16: Well, we have to pay the whole pool of prize money, the whole bus to much more.
Speaker 13: There's a lot of other players that aren't the one.
Speaker 3: What if the winning prize money was based on just honeyduce revenue?
Speaker 2: So you take a percentage, player says, I'll have a percentage of the honeyduce.
Speaker 3: The players are like, go buy your honeyduces.
Speaker 13: Listen. It all helps the fan experience, right.
Speaker 2: Everybody in our newsroom was coming up, like you go to the us up and I wish you were there.
Speaker 12: Our Scarlet Food said to me.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, So where did the honey deuce recipe come from?
Speaker 13: Great question?
Speaker 16: I've been asked that a couple of times recently, you know, because we keep talking.
Speaker 12: About how she always has good questions.
Speaker 16: Well, funny enough, this is the first year we actually did honey due merchandise. So you can get a honey ducee hat or T shirt with the recipe on the back. And they sold like wildfire, according to our merchandise folks.
Speaker 13: Last Yeah, it was really popular.
Speaker 12: So where did it come up from? Where?
Speaker 13: How did it come about?
Speaker 16: It came up from a Gray Goose mixologist and a few USCA folks in a kitchen here on site over fifteen years ago.
Speaker 13: Just before I joined the organization. I think I can't take any.
Speaker 14: Credit for it, but it must have been a fun kitchen, you.
Speaker 16: Know, absolutely bar They sat there and tried every different cocktail and what's the world resonated the most right, what what was the flavor of summer?
Speaker 13: So to speak?
Speaker 16: So then they even came up with the three melon balls to represent the tennis balls in a can. So not everybody realized that, but yeah, what was.
Speaker 3: That lightning in a bottle? I mean, you know the way that I talk about the US open to people, they always say, what does that drink? What does that drink? What is that drink?
Speaker 12: Ybody?
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody knows about it.
Speaker 16: It's grown over time, right, it's just taking on its own persona. Thanks social media for that. Right as that took off, the deducee takes off, it's cool to come take your picture with the honey juice.
Speaker 12: So when are you going to do a mocktail?
Speaker 16: You know, we'd have to talk to our partners at Grey Goose and kind of figure something out if we can do that.
Speaker 13: But we do offer some mocktails a little.
Speaker 3: Bit everything without minus the d minus the keys.
Speaker 16: You can have lemonade, lemonade, and some melon balls, yes, melon balls.
Speaker 13: We do offer a few.
Speaker 3: Mocktails on the site.
Speaker 13: It is a category that's growing, totally growing.
Speaker 2: So many guests come on and it's non alcoholic beer, beers, wines like you name it.
Speaker 16: Well, we do serve the Heineken zero point zero, which is quite delicious for a non alcoholic beer.
Speaker 13: So there are a good partner of ours as well.
Speaker 3: On the food side of it. The prep time that goes into actually making sure that there are minimal lines even though there are still lines. How do you have the balance of making sure that you know that the chefs are prepping ahead of time, but also making stuff to order. You're not going to get something soggy.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so their goal is to not make you know the finished product days in advance for freading stretch.
Speaker 13: You know, they're professionals what they do.
Speaker 16: I mean, even the best restaurants in New York City do a lot of prep and they know where they can kind of cook the item too until they have to serve and then obviously finish it. So they're the pros at that. I don't claim to be. I'm not a chef at all, nor do I work in a kitchen. But you're operations guy, the operations guy through and through, so you know they know what's best. I trust them, they know what they're doing. We work with Levy Restaurants, which is a division of Compass Group they're around the world.
Speaker 13: They know what they're doing. They're pros.
Speaker 12: So do you have kitchens like all set.
Speaker 13: Up all over like all over, Oh.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and stuff's coming in off site.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 16: We have about seven commissaries on site. I'm talking massive kitchens. We even have one underneath the grandstand. The public would have no idea where it is. Kitchens in the back of every restaurant so fresh as food possible. It's built to serve the areas that they're in.
Speaker 3: So from an operations perspective, talk to us about how you're using technology to sort of offset where people maybe add more people, where people are going add more staff there. What's the tech side of this?
Speaker 16: So on the tech side not necessarily tied to food and beverage so much, but more tied to seating our fans, especially the first week of tennis right now, with so many grounds, passes and matches going on everywhere. We actually have cameras aimed at every bleacher, so you can kind of get an idea of where you're going to go, green, yellow, red, for which has seating available to kind of point people in the right direction to catch the tennis.
Speaker 2: Love that all right, what's the most exclusive dining experience here.
Speaker 16: Exclusive Dining Aces and Champions are two signature restaurants on the club level of ASH. You either need a court side ticket or a sweet ticket to access them. Those are probably what people just die to get into. The reservations are off the charts.
Speaker 2: And what's this chicken dish with caviar?
Speaker 16: So Coco Doc by restaurant tour Simon Kim So if you've heard of it, popular restaurant in the city right now.
Speaker 12: Houser knows about art pursuits.
Speaker 16: So we have the stand on the club level of arthursh Stadium and it is just unbelievable. I mean, you can get regular chicken nuggets with dipping sauces all the way up to truffle nuggets or the caviar covered nuggets, and it's selling crazy.
Speaker 3: I'm going to ask you the same question that I asked Kirsten just in the last twenty seconds we have with you. What's the big difference that you're already planning for next year? What's something new that's coming in twenty five, What are you thinking about.
Speaker 16: We're always looking at new chefs, new restaurants, what people are craving.
Speaker 13: I'll get back to you after I look at all the data.
Speaker 3: That was Chris Studley, Senior director of Events Services at the USTA.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg business Week. Coming up, speaking of sports, we go in depth on the new age of sports betting and how the steaks have never been higher for gamblers, sports media companies, and athletes.
Speaker 3: The cover story of Bloomberg BusinessWeek. That's next. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Listen live each weekday starting at two pm Eastern on applecar Play and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station. Just say Alexa Play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: It's hard to watch sports these days without thinking about gambling. Put on your favorite game and you will instantly see an ad, either for DraftKings or Fan Duel, or even ESPN bet. Last year, Americans spent one hundred and twenty billion dollars on legal sports bets, a twenty eight percent increase from twenty twenty two. Some are even draining their stock portfolios and shoveling more money into sports betting.
Speaker 3: Not so great, Yeah, guess many people might say, no, not good. It's the new age of sports betting. And it's the cover of the forthcoming issue of BusinessWeek magazine, a no holds barred look at how betting has devoured sports. You can read it now now on the Bloomberg terminal at Bloomberg dot com slash BusinessWeek, and overseeing it all is Bloomberg BusinessWeek Senior editor Brett Began.
Speaker 17: It came about because for anyone who watches sports, like myself, you now can't really watch sports without being completely inundated with ads for as you mentioned, DraftKings fan Duel, ESPN, bet Bet three sixties. I mean, we can go on and on, but essentially every other commercial now is related to a sports betting app.
Speaker 18: And we thought, let's take a look at this.
Speaker 3: You guys have the numbers too to back this up. It's not just that you're you know, noticing more ads for this. I was pretty shocked to see this, Carol. Last year Americans spent almost one hundred and twenty billion dollars on legal sports bets. It's a twenty eight percent increase from just a couple of years ago.
Speaker 17: Yeah, that's a big bump, huge bump. I mean, that's basically we can trace this back to twenty eighteen. So twenty eighteen, the Supreme Court said that there can be sports betting outside.
Speaker 18: Of State of Nevada.
Speaker 17: We now have third D eight states set have legalized it, plus Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia. So chances are you might live in a state where this is allowed, except it is not allowed in California actually at this point. But yeah, so it's become much easier for people to do this as opposed having to go to a casino, fly on a plane, go to a casino and do it now you pick up your.
Speaker 12: Phone, you know.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's a lot of different ways we can go. But I am curious about what the impact is on the states and the revenue that comes into them. And I'm also curious about what impact we're seeing on society before we dig a little bit deeper into some of the stories you covered, like are we finding out that yay, it's all great or it's a.
Speaker 18: Little bit of a mixed bap And it depends on it depends on who you ask. I mean, the states wanted.
Speaker 17: To legalize this because of the tax revenue that it brings in. What we found is that you know, a fairly small percentage of it is going to where you might want it to go, just to help people who have problematic gambling patterns, right, A very small percentage of it goes there. A lot of it goes into state general funds things of that nature, and in some instances it goes to some odd things like aquaculture or helping in very specific programs like helping to fight cancer in Michigan, things like that.
Speaker 2: Okay, but it provides some extra revenue, it does.
Speaker 17: It is extra revenue that's coming in. This is why the states wanted to legalize it. It's not always going in exactly where you might think it's going.
Speaker 3: What about what it's done to the financial health of the folks in the states where it's legal.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I mean, in terms of the states where it's legal. There was a recent report actually pointing out that this has led to delinquencies on credit, bad debt, all the things that you can imagine happening when you have when you have access to spending all this money on your phone.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, not so good.
Speaker 2: All right, So go through like some of the different stories and how you guys wanted to approach it.
Speaker 17: Yeah, So one thing we want to do is definitely get the players and years. So we talked to some current NFL players and some former NFL.
Speaker 18: Players and they love it.
Speaker 13: Well.
Speaker 18: You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 17: I was wasn't entirely sure what to expect, but in many ways they're split. They say, on the one hand, it's great for the league, and it is great for the league, right, the league has partnerships with these apps, their revenue sharing with the players involved in that. It's good for them. It keeps you engaged in the game longer. You could have a total blowout in the fourth quarter. But if your particular bet is writing on something that hasn't quite happened yet or been determined, you're going to still have eyeballs on the game. Eyeballs on the game means at revenue, and that's good for the league.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And one of the stories I remember reading that's in this issue. If a fan makes a prop bet, they're twenty times more likely to watch a sporting event, not just a prop bet, any bet. That's wild.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: For engagement, it's you, it is, Yeah, because you're screaming how many times is are there? How many changeovers are there going to be?
Speaker 12: How many times we see Taylor Swift?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 18: Yeah, it's the greatest engagement tool that there is.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's talk a little bit about integrity here, because that's a big question that I know a lot of folks have, And that was a really interesting story by Devin Gordon in the issue. How are companies making sure that pro sports players are not involved in these prop bets?
Speaker 17: Yeah, so one of the requirements is that they hire what's called a third party monitor. And we have a story, as you mentioned by Devin Gordon about a company called US Integrity that's one of the biggest ones. Essentially, they partner with the leagues to essentially have eyes on everything. They're always watching at all times, and they're keeping an eye out for anything during a game that might seem suspicious.
Speaker 18: And I learned so much about what can.
Speaker 17: Seem suspicious where you wouldn't think just with the you know, the untrained eye, but you could have a point guard, you know, crossing center court who's sort of dribbling a lot without moving toward the basket, and they can look at that and say, well, is this guy trying to limit the amount of points that his team is scoring in order to hit the under on and over under us integrity essentially sends out signals to the leagues like, hey, something might be a miss.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it feel like AI is the perfect sort of tool to do something like this.
Speaker 17: It does, and yet it does require like a tremendous amount of touch to it as well that maybe that hasn't come to AI at this point, Like right in the Johntey Porter case, which we look at, you know, yes, conceivably AI could have spot spotted.
Speaker 3: The because there's this weird correlation about you know, these bets that were taking place on a separate platform.
Speaker 17: Well, you know, like if you were to go make a bet today, you probably would put your money on somebody like Lebron James, right, that's who people bet on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even I've heard of him, and I'm not.
Speaker 17: Everything right, you've heard of I'm sure right, But to be placing a bet on a role player is that will immediately sound.
Speaker 18: A red get a red flag that goes up. So that's what happened that case.
Speaker 17: And they looked at it once in January and said, hmm, this is strange that all of the unders hit on all of the potential bets you could make on him. Let's keep an eye on this. And then again in March when he did the same thing, then they said, okay, something is quite phishy here. They notified the NBA. The NBA didn't investigation. They ultimately suspended him for life.
Speaker 2: But you know, in order to spot that there's something maybe awry, if you will, is I'm assuming a sharing of data from either the odds makers and so on and so forth, who I'm sure don't want to share their information.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 2: So, in order for this system to stay pure and have integrity, right, like, people have to be able to make sure that they're seeing everything that's going on, right.
Speaker 17: And the odds makers are in this position where they basically have to turn over all of their information to a company like you got.
Speaker 18: A problem, right integrity?
Speaker 17: And we quote one who's like, oh, yeah, so you know who do I have to turn this over too? Oh there's only one company that I've done great, Okay, So it is a bit of a not I wouldn't call it the monopoly, but yes, they're not like thrilled about it. But they also realize that they kind of have to do it and ultimately does help them. They want a window into this as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I mean I do wonder you know, is someone or is the takeaway that because it's just increasingly there's more and more money, I mean throwing college athletes who can now use name, image likeness, which I think is a good thing in different way. But I just feel like the money just keeps growing in collegiate sports, professional sports, like at some point, you know, not that money ever corrupts.
Speaker 18: But never.
Speaker 2: At some point, are we going to potentially see something really bad?
Speaker 17: Well, I mean i'd say probably yes. Yeah, I mean we're already starting to see harassment of athletes right pretty directly for let's say, costing.
Speaker 18: You on and over under bed. Yeah.
Speaker 17: But I think you raise college, which is a whole whole different universe and a whole nother ball of problems for everyone, basically because the prop bets which are very very difficult to police or even harder to police in college. If you think about it, if you're an athlete in college, you're living with, eating with, going to class with other people, and they could notice, Hey, I notice you have an ankle brace on today. Does that mean you're not playing tonight. Well, if an athlete were just say yeah, I'm probably not going to well that person might say, well, I'm going to bet the under on your points tonight. It's so easy for information to see about and they're frankly terrified of it and of this happening.
Speaker 3: Well, you raise a question that at least I'm asking this question, why is it allowed in college athletics?
Speaker 17: Well, that's a really good question, because there's a lot of money to be made. Basically, I mean, there are different states that have different rules around some of this stuff, like there are certain states where.
Speaker 18: We can't bet on an in state team.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of money to be made unless there.
Speaker 17: Is a lot of money to be made unless you're a player. Although, interestingly, when we were talking to the NFL players, you know they're getting revenue sharing from the deals at the higher end, but some of them have actually said, Hey, if somebody's betting ten dollars on me to do something, shouldn't I get one dollar of that?
Speaker 18: Shouldn't I be getting a percentage of that? And I wonder if that's not going to come up in a future CBA.
Speaker 2: It's unbelievable just a lot of money. Where do you want to go next?
Speaker 18: Wherever you would like to get.
Speaker 3: I want to talk a little bit about the platforms that are done in right now, DraftKings and FanDuel over the last few.
Speaker 12: Years, get ESPN.
Speaker 3: Well they're trying. And that's the thing. And that's what's so interesting because that's a Disney owned company, and you know, it's the most magical place on earth, and I know it was such a big deal. Gosh, in the last eighteen months or so when ESPN, when Disney owned ESPN got into this because okay, it's not necessarily part of Disney's identity, we can talk about that part. But FanDuel and DraftKings were supposed to they were supposed to merge years ago and become the same company that didn't end up happening. What does the landscape look like for these platforms.
Speaker 18: Yeah, so we called a duopoly in print.
Speaker 17: You've got FanDuel and DraftKings that run about seventy five percent of this market. Really, you know, they got first mover advantage. I mean, they were huge into fantasy sports, and so they basically had their name made by doing fantasy sports. And then when sports betting became legalized, they started doing sports betting, so they're really like front and center.
Speaker 18: There's what most people use. You know, it's funny.
Speaker 17: One of the reasons that most people wind up using them is because they see other people posting wins online. They say, oh, well, where did this guy went out? FanDuel draft fans? Okay, well that's the one that I should be on. They also just tend to offer like the most number of bets, you know, if you're looking for over unders, like for instance, in the Stanley Cup last year, on one particular better night, they I think had eight and some of the other sites had three.
Speaker 18: So you know, if you.
Speaker 17: If you want to make eight over under bats versus three, they're really going to be the place to do it. They also offer a lot of customization, so they offer customized parlays at a rate that other sites don't. And you know, essentially they're like, in many ways, the Kleenex of the of this industry.
Speaker 18: They're just sort of the name brand that everybody knows.
Speaker 12: Does that mean.
Speaker 2: Disney isn't committed to getting more of this business?
Speaker 17: No, they are, I mean, and Disney would argue, like, look our our our ESPN partnership with Pen Entertainment is only a year old. Like let us let us cook here, give us give us a chance. There at about two point eight percent right now. According to them, they're where they're where they you know, expected to be at this point. But it is very hard to gain market share on these larger companies.
Speaker 3: That was Bloomberg Business Week Senior editor Brett began the September issue, now available on the Bloomberg terminal and at Bloomberg dot com. Slash business Week.
Speaker 2: Still ahead on Bloomberg Business Week as the sun sets on the month of August, how about a guide to the best things to read, movies and streaming, and art to see in theater to take in all this fall.
Speaker 3: I am and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple car Play and and Broud Auto with a Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Well it means me to say it, although I'm headed on vacation, so that's.
Speaker 10: Not all that.
Speaker 2: I will miss you, But I've noticed the days are getting shorter, and yes, this weekend we will enter the month of September, which can only.
Speaker 12: Mean one thing.
Speaker 2: The summer is over.
Speaker 3: All right, she is just trolling Chris Rouser.
Speaker 2: And waiting for the steam to come out of his ears.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he and his Bloomberg Pursuits team already looking ahead to the most exciting art museum exhibits, TV and streaming's best news shows, Broadway West End, having the popcorn ready for the new movies to check out all coming this fall.
Speaker 2: Right, there's a list of now things to do. All right, let's get into it with the editor of Bloomberg Pursuits, Chris Rouser. Along with Bloomberg Pursuits are columnist James Tarmi. Do we have your title?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 11: You know what? You can call me whatever you'd likes, that's right?
Speaker 14: Is that acceptable?
Speaker 2: Chris?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: All right, So I don't even know who to start with. So I'm going to toss it off to Chris. Chris, tell us about this escaping the real world? Why did you call it escape the real world?
Speaker 12: Is it that bad?
Speaker 3: Have you been?
Speaker 13: Where have you been?
Speaker 17: Sorry?
Speaker 11: I've been medicated.
Speaker 3: So every save some for the rest.
Speaker 19: Of us, every year actually, so in the in the fall and spring, we always do culture previews and James heads them up and we were so we look at it. Everything sort of pretty far out in advance, so even in the summer. As you guys know, I never want to hurry summer up to the finish. But last month James and I were looking at all the culture stuff that was coming and we realized that the most fun stuff, the stuff that seemed really exciting, that we were most excited about, was real escapism, so like thriller novels, movies about space, just like a historical stuff and silly stuff. So we were like, you know what, this is a good fall where the culture is reflecting maybe a sentiment that we need to take a little break from what's going on in the real world and just escape into beautiful culture. So that was the theme of this section, and there's a lot of good stuff in it.
Speaker 3: James, this is all about getting away from the election.
Speaker 11: I didn't say it per se, but it is interesting that something was in the water where everyone decided that what the world needed now across culture was something that didn't deal with your day to day life. And so you have some extraordinary stuff here and things that really are going to take you out of the maybe hustle and bustle of more pedestrian concerns. And so you've got museum shows, you've got books, you've got all these different things that really are a departure from politics or social concerns or cultural controversy.
Speaker 2: All right, to take us to one give us a I don't know, start with the I don't know where do you want to start?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 11: You know, I would like to start with TV because there's a ton of stuff that looks really really funny.
Speaker 2: I like to call it TV when there's so much streaming.
Speaker 11: Honestly, no, probably not just saying you know, okay streaming that Well, we're told that the age, the golden age of TV is over, but it doesn't feel that way based on falls lineups. You've got some a lot of comedies. You have a Disney show that is in possibly a musical. It's called Agatha All Along. It stars Catherine Hahn. It's a sort of spin off of wand Division.
Speaker 3: And like, you know, everything about it was and I'm not even like a superheroes person, but WandaVision was. It was incredible, amazing, it was super Cathern Han.
Speaker 11: So it's from uh, people who actually did wand Division, so it's it's got the same some some of the same creative team, but it's also got Aubrey plot and Patty Lapone. So you've got you've got something. The musical and the musical. It's I think it's going to be something that a lot of people are very excited about. I am one of those people.
Speaker 19: And they tease it, I want a vision. They sort of did a preview trailer for it in the show, and it looks goofy and fun and just the tone looks incredible exactly.
Speaker 11: There's another show that stars Kristen Bell.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 11: It's called Nobody Wants This and she it's a sort of like rom com with a rabbi played by Adam Brody, who is the Seth Cohen character in the OC. If people can remember that far back, so you did not.
Speaker 3: Wow, wasn't it wasn't that long ago?
Speaker 11: It was it was like it was I think twenty years.
Speaker 3: Okay, it doesn't feel that long ago.
Speaker 19: But like Christen Bell and Adam Brody shoot this directly into my veins.
Speaker 3: What I want.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So there's a lot of stuff on TV to like a lot Chris, do you want.
Speaker 6: To do theater.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 19: So there's also a ton of exciting theater this fall. The spring had like an avalanche of new shows. A lot of them have closed and so there's room for more. I'm most excited about two shows. One is The Transfer of Sunset Boulevard from London to New York. It stars Nicole Scherzinger, who you may know from.
Speaker 2: The pos's going to be in the one here and.
Speaker 19: She is the one here. Yeah, She's kind of the whole point of the show. Although it is a very cool production by director Jamie Lloyd. It's all black and white, very spare, there's video elements. It's unhinged. It's like you have you seen it? Yeah, I saw it in line.
Speaker 11: It was great.
Speaker 19: It was great. Well, the funny thing is that in London people don't stand up, like, they don't give standing ovations a lot. And there's this moment where she sings as if we never said goodbye, which is the big number, and she holds this note for a deranged amount of time. And I was in the audience with my American friend and we like went to leap to our feet and people were just sitting quietly, and I was like people in New York City are going to be like tearing their hair out and crying. Anyway, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 3: And then there's a.
Speaker 19: New show called The Big Gay jamborelle.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm so glad you went there.
Speaker 19: Which stars Marlon Mindel, who was Celine Dion in Titanique, which is the downtown hit show here in New York. The spoof Titanic Musical is featuring the songs.
Speaker 3: I think you said Titanic wrong. Oh no, Tim, have you not seen have not seen TITANICU you got to see it? Is it awesome?
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it, but I have to tell you prepping for this segment, I stayed up twenty minutes later because I went to the site and I clipped on all the videos and was watching all the songs.
Speaker 11: You guys, it's a phenomenon.
Speaker 19: It is incredible and so Big Gay Jamboree is a show that she co created with Jonathan Ramage. She's a writer and the director is Connor Gallagher and they it's about a woman who has a big night out. She's on a bender. She wakes up and she's in an old timey musical and she has to use her theater BFA to figure out how to sing her way out of it great, and it comes. It's Margot Robbie, one of the producers. It's in a theater downtown. It's going to be huge.
Speaker 2: I was also kind of floored that there's a lot of celebrities.
Speaker 12: Right, there's Pharaoh, there's Patty Lapone.
Speaker 3: Back, Robert Tenny Junior.
Speaker 12: Right, yes, you know a lot of big.
Speaker 19: Downey Jr. Is in a show called McNeil, which is by the Pulperprize winning writer I at Oktar and it's going to be really, it's going to be big. It's at Lincoln Center. That's going to be big. And then Patty Lapone and Mia Farrow are starring in a show called The Roommate where they play roommates.
Speaker 11: They're already doing some advanced press for this and people are already sort of losing their minds about it too.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, Carol, you said big stars, we gotta talk movies because there the cast of the movies that you guys featured in this section.
Speaker 11: It's kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: It's kind of crazy.
Speaker 13: Is it?
Speaker 3: Like this writer's strike is over, so now everyone's back doing stuff.
Speaker 11: Look, I actually cannot comment on the mechanics behind this. All I know is that the stuff coming out this fall is even the little things. The Thicket with this Western starring Peter Dinklage as a bounty hunter trying to find cut throat Bill, an outlaw played by Juliette Lewis. I mean, these things it's like it's it's like a mad libs, but the best version of mad libs. You can imagine.
Speaker 19: There's a there's a movie called Conclave, which is about electing a new pope, which stars Ray Fines as a cardinal and then also Stanley Tucci, John Lithcow and Isabella Rossolini. Ray cas Isabella ROSSLYNI for pope.
Speaker 11: I mean, I mean she of course plays a nun. You know, there's a lot of there's a lot of scheming and hissing behind closed doors. You know, it's it's it's it's going to be phenomenal. The other thing that I'm stoked about is Heredic with Hugh Grant. Hugh Grant plays a murderous sociopath.
Speaker 3: Which just gets more evil as me, He's notting Hill.
Speaker 1: This is not.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's going on with Francis Ford Coppola.
Speaker 2: That's the thing I'm curious is that going to be like a success or could that be a real big bomb?
Speaker 11: Well, first of all, it's already sorted as a bomb.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 11: It premiered in Cohan and I think it costs something like one hundred and twenty million dollars self financed by Cobola.
Speaker 3: Meaning like he paid for all of that himself.
Speaker 11: I'm not sure about how much he paid for it, but he paid for a lot of himself and him.
Speaker 12: And tell us what it is.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, you know, I wish I could tell you what it is, because even the people who I've spoken to have seen it have not really had a cogent synopsis. But it is about the kind of fall of Rome. But it's in futuristic New York and Chris, maybe you could flesh that one out.
Speaker 19: I think it's like a sci fi fable basically, and it's a vast, vast epic.
Speaker 2: And it yeah, it has I mean it's really long.
Speaker 19: I think it's I actually don't know how long it is. I think it's I think it's long. I think it's not to everyone's taste. It's very bold, and we'll see it could go down as one of those things. That's one of like the great films of all time, or like one of the great flops.
Speaker 11: But I mean, he had trouble finding a distributor, and it was unclear if it was even going to come out in the United States, and then he obviously found someone. And it is one of the most anticipated films of the year for a general public to see, just because so many people are involved in it and it's had such a tortured process to actually come to fruition.
Speaker 2: So there's one thing this fall that you're going to do off of this. It sounds like you're gonna do multiple things, but you already have. But if there's one thing that you had to pick.
Speaker 11: I have to admit that the museum shows. I'm going to do my best to go to all of them and in a lot of different countries, but I have an absurd job, so it's actually fairly feasible.
Speaker 13: There's this.
Speaker 11: Really exquisite looking show here in New York about Egon Sheila's landscapes in the in the Noia Gallery. You know, you probably know him. He does these very angular nudes and kind of very erotic but also a little grizzly. But he also has produced these exquisite landscapes and still lives that people are not familiar with. And I think that it's going to be kind of the sleeper hit of the fall.
Speaker 2: Love that, And maybe you and I should go see Titanique.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have to play. Oh, I'll do it for work, for work, that would be really fun.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, thank you so much.
Speaker 3: That's the editor of Bloomberg Pursuits Chris Rouser and Bloomberg Pursuits arts columnist and culture dictator. That's as War dictator, Culture War Dictator James Karmi.
Speaker 2: And that wraps up the weekend edition of Bloomberg Business Week from Bloomberg Radio. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 3: Be sure to tune into Bloomberg Business Week Monday through Friday starting at two pm Wall Street Time on Bloomberg TV, Bloomberg Radio, and on Serious XM Channel one twenty one, and listen to us on Apple Car Play and Android Auto Free in the Apple app Store or on Google Play.
Speaker 2: You can also watch our daily broadcast on YouTube. Just search Bloomberg Global News were summlcast on Bloomberg Original available at Bloomberg dot com, Slash Originals and streaming platforms including Roku, Amazon, fireTV, Samsung TV Plus, and more.
Speaker 3: Find our Bloomberg Business Week podcast at Bloomberg dot com, Apple, or wherever you get your podcasts, and the latest edision of the magazine. It's available on newstands now at Bloomberg dot com and always on the Bloomberg Terminal. I'm Tim Steneveek and.
Speaker 2: I'm Carol Masser. Have a good and safe holiday weekend. Everyone.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Week podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg Terminal alone