Speaker 1: From the Bloomberg Interactive Broker Studios. This is Bloomberg day Break for Friday, June sixteenth.
Speaker 2: Coming up today, stocks around the world are on track for their best week since March.
Speaker 1: The Bank of Japan skirts global trends and holds it stimulus in place.
Speaker 2: Chinese President she Jenping meets with Microsoft founder Bill.
Speaker 1: Gates, and Adobe is the latest tech company to ride the AI Rally.
Speaker 3: The New York command charge and the stabbing death of another subway writer was released without bail, plus deadly tornadoes in a Texas panhandletown. I'm Michael Barr. Oh, we're ahead.
Speaker 4: I'm John Staff, Sharon's words, Ricky Fowler and Vanders shoftleish on sixty teens at the US Open.
Speaker 3: The metsos the Cardinals tonight. The Yankees are in Boston.
Speaker 5: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg day Break, the business news you need to starn your day in just one fifteen minute podcast each morning on Apples, Spotify, the Bloomberg Business Appen everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: Good morning, I'm Nathan.
Speaker 1: Hager and I'm Amy Morris. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Stocks enter the final day of this week. On a winning streak, the S and P five hundred has risen for six straight days, and it now tops the forty four hundred level. The Dow is up almost twenty percent from mid September low, while the Nasdaq one hundred hit its highest level since March of twenty twenty two thanks to Apple, Nvidia, and Microsoft and e Toro Global market strategist Ben Laylor thinks this rally has legs.
Speaker 1: I think the tech rally is completely justified.
Speaker 7: I mean will see the earnings value where the earnings growth thumbers turning up, whether it's AI, whether it's cost cutting, whether it's investors looking for defensive growth.
Speaker 8: I think this rally is increasingly well balanced.
Speaker 2: Ben Ledler and Etro notes global stocks are on track for their best week since March, but trading today could come with plenty of twists. In turns, we will see a massive number of options contracts expired today in what is known as quadruple witching.
Speaker 1: And Nathan the Federal Reserve remains largely in focus on the heels of this round, bets that the Central Bank will soon end its tightening cycle. Our fueling optimism, we make it more clues today Saint Louis. FED President Jim Bullard and FED Governor Chris Wallers speak in Norway today. Richmond FED President Tom Barkin speaks on inflation at an event in Maryland this morning.
Speaker 2: Well, so far, Amy, every FED decision in this tightening cycle's been unanimous, and now Larry Summers warns diverging views that the Central Bank could blow it off course. We spoke with the former Treasury secretary for the latest edition of Bloomberg Wall Street Week.
Speaker 9: I found the Fed's action a little bit confusing. This meeting felt like it was driven as much by the internal political dynamics of the FED as by any consistent and coherent reading of the economic situation, and that was a bit disturbing to me.
Speaker 2: Those comments from Larry Summers come after the FED paused rate hikes for the first time in fifteen months. Stay tuned for more of that conversation coming up shortly on the program.
Speaker 1: Central banks meanwhile, also in focus in Asia overnight, the Bank of Japan held its stimulus measures in place, as Bloomberg Daybreak Asia anchor Brian Curtis tells us the boj is waiting for more sustainable inflation.
Speaker 10: Governor Kazuo, who waited a left unchanged the boj's negative interest rate and yield curve control program. Yen immediately weakened against the dollar. Not that there was much doubt to any of this, as it was predicted by forty four of forty seven economists we surveyed. Governor Huwaida has said the cost of prematurely tightening policy could damage Japan's nascent inflation trend, and he's not willing to risk it. Still, speculation rumbles on that a tweak may be coming in July. Brian Curtis Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian, Turning to geopolitics now, Secretary of State Anthony Blincoln remains on track to travel to China this weekend. The nation's top diplomat will be in Beijing Sunday. He'll speak with several top Chinese officials during his two day visit, including a possible meeting with China's President, Shei Jinping.
Speaker 1: Meantime, President she has already met with another big name. Microsoft founder Bill Gates sat down with China's president in Beijing. She told the billionaire that China is willing to work with the world on technology innovation and pandemic prevention Jimi.
Speaker 2: Henry Kissinger is weighing in on geopolitics tied to China. The former Secretary of State says a military conflict over Taiwan is probable. That's if the current trajectory remains unchanged. The one hundred year old diplomat sat down for a wide ranging conversation with Bloomberg's editor in chief John Micklfwaite on.
Speaker 11: The current predictary of religions. I think some military conflict is probable, but I also think the current predictary of religion must be alded.
Speaker 2: And you can hear the full conversation with former Secretary of State Henry Kissinger on Bloomberg Television. We'll have it for you tonight at eight pm Eastern Listen on demand on the Bloomberg Talks podcast. You can find that at Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Turning back to the markets, now, we're seeing shares of Adobe gaining this this morning. They're up more than three percent in early trading. The company is raising its full year outlook on optimism that artificial intelligence will spur software demand. We get those details from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 7: Adobe is the longtime top seller of software for creative professionals. It is adding generative AI features throughout its products. Last week, the company unveiled enterprise level subscriptions for the new tools, which include legal assurance against copyright claims. In New York, Charlie Pellett Bloomberg Daybreak, All right, Charlie, thanks, we have news on Bank of America this morning. We're told the firm's commercial banking unit is seeing a surge in new clients. In Bloomberg's Doug Krisner has that story.
Speaker 12: It follows the failure of several regional banks in the US during March. Biave says its commercial banking unit had an increase of fifty five percent in new clients in the month of May compared to last year, and the momentum is expected to continue. Bank of America saying the unit is on track to report fifty percent growth in customer editions for all of twenty twenty three. That would be up from thirty five percent of new relationships last year, and as a result, Bank of America is planning to bulk up staffing to keep up with demand. This will include hiring senior bankers from outside firms in New York. I'm Doug Prisner, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Doug.
Speaker 1: Walt. Disney losing a top executive, the company's chief financial officer taking a family medical leave of absence, stepping down from a role as the wear at the world's largest entertainment company. Disney says Christine McCarthy will be replaced on an interim basis by Kevin Lansberry, the CFO of Disney's Theme Parks division. And this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Time now to take a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world with Bloomberg's Michael Varr.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Michael, Good morning. Nathan, a twenty year old man accused in Tuesday's deadly subway stabbing of a passenger in Brooklyn, was released without bail. Jordan Williams was charged with manslaughter and criminal possession of a weapon in the of a homeless man, thirty six year old Victor Waddrogo. Witnesses say Waydrogo was harassing subway riders and at one point punched William's girlfriend before the deadly stabbing. William's attorney, Jason Goldman, told ABC seven. It is a clear case of self defense.
Speaker 4: You have two choices right now.
Speaker 13: List You can sit there and get assaulted and your friends or family or loved ones can get assaulted and seriously injured. Or you can fight back and get arrested and maybe get charged. Maybe you go to rikers, maybe get released. So you know, what are you supposed to do.
Speaker 3: William's mother says that her son cares about life and is extremely remorseful. A deadly outbreak of severe weather, at least three people are dead and more than one hundred injured in the Texas panhandled town of Perryton. A mobile home park took a direct hit. Perrington Fire Chief Paul Dutcher.
Speaker 14: Searching these areas, searching the brifield seat, making sure we've got people gathered up.
Speaker 3: Tornadoes were also reported from Oklahoma to Michigan. At least fifteen people were killed and ten others were hurt after a bus carrying more than two dozen people crashed into a semi truck in Manitoba, Canada. Authority to say the bus crossed the westbound lanes of Highway One and was crossing the eastbound lanes when it collided with the semi As drama continues with Republicans in the House, the country is potentially headed for another showdown on government funding in October. Bloomberg's Ad Baxter.
Speaker 15: Reports even though a bipartisan bill raised the debt ceiling while cutting spending passed earlier this month, this is another battle of funding, another round. Senator Lindsey Graham says not looking good.
Speaker 13: The chance of passing all the appropriation bills.
Speaker 12: For the House and Center bree On numbers almost zero.
Speaker 15: Raam says there is a big divide between the two chambers of the legislature in San Francisco. I'm at Baxter Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: The Supreme Court, in a seven to two decision, upheld a land law giving Native American families priority in the adoption of Native children. A white Texas couple had challenged the law as discriminatory on the basis of race. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists nanailists in over one hundred twenty countries. How Michael Barr, this is Bloomberg, Nathan.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Michael.
Speaker 2: Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update. Bront you by tri State out He good morning, John Stasher.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Nathan. US Open courses are traditionally known to be extremely challenging, even for the best golfers in the world, not really the case of the LA Country Club, ideal conditions led to two historic rounds of sixty two Ricky Fowler and Xander Shoffley. There had only been one sixty two ever in any major Brandon Grace six years ago at the FGA. Shofley was bogey free. Fowler set a record with ten verdies. He made five birdie putts of more than ten feet.
Speaker 14: I didn't really know or see any score, and then I saw that Alexander was at seven at that point, and I'm not sure if he even knew where I was or anything, but it was kind of cool to just see if he did. To see he you know, kind of latched on and we were, you know, taking off of it.
Speaker 4: Both Fowler and Shofley have been chasing their first career major victory after numerous close calls. Although Faller had been in a deep slump the last two years, he had not even qualified to play the Open. Dustin Johnson in twenty sixteen Open winner only two shots behind the co leaders and Rory McElroy, whose only open victory was twelve years ago, trails by three round two. Today, the public money to help build a new stadium in Las Vegas and the Oakland A's now a done deal. It still needs the approval of the owners, but Baseball Comvensioner Rob Manford said he feels sorry for A's fans, but that there was no community sport to keep the team in Oakland. Yankees and Red Sox Night at Fenway, Yanks first visit to Boston. Mets host the Cardinals, who are fifteen games under five hundred. Homer Jones has passed away a speedy Giants receiver in the late nineteen sixties, and after a touchdown, Jones made history becoming the first and then spike the ball. Homer Jones was eighty two. John Stashedward Bloomberg.
Speaker 8: Sports from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias Exam the Bloomberg Business Appen Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. It has been quite the week on Wall Street. We are coming off six straight winning sessions for stocks. We saw mixed US inflation report. Headline prices cooled while core inflation rose. Traders saw that as dubvish, And finally we got a pause in rate hikes from the Federal Reserve, the first time they did not raise rates in fifteen months. Let's take stock of it all now with Larry Summers, the Bloomberg News contributor and former US Treasury secretary, sat down for a conversation with Bloomberg's Romaine Bostick. Let's listen in to part of that right.
Speaker 16: Now, Larry, let's talk about the FED meeting more importantly. That FED pause not necessarily a surprise, but do you think it was appropriate?
Speaker 9: I'm not sure. I found the Fed's action a little bit confusing. I understand the arguments for not hiking at this meeting, but those arguments wouldn't point towards signaling to further rate increases. They wouldn't point towards significantly revising the forecast towards a stronger economy and more inflation. I understand the arguments for having gone the other way, but I don't really understand the internal consistency of an approach of pausing at this meeting. But then signaling to further rate hikes down the road, and signaling that they no longer expect unemployment to increase nearly as much as they used to expect it. So this meeting felt like it was driven as much by the internal political dynamics of the FED as by any consistent and coherent reading of the economic situation, and that was a bit disturbing.
Speaker 16: They raised some of their economic projections, or at least they improved a little bit here, but you still have a market that seems to be betting on this idea of a recession, the idea that the FED itself may have actually overtightened, or at least is on its way to doing that.
Speaker 9: That would not be my best guess. I think it's very hard to read. But my best guess is that the consumer, which is seventy percent of the economy, appears to be running really quite strong. At this point. We've got very strong employment data, much faster than population growth. The indicators on wages are a bit mixed, but the ones that seem most reliable to me that adjusts for changes in the composition the labor force are showing substantial strength.
Speaker 7: So I don't see.
Speaker 9: The idea that we've got a durable reduction in inflation clearly established, nor do I see clear evidence of a slowing coming. So in that context, I think the FED has probably got to maintain a posture of moving towards restraint. But I think that they ought to decide what their balancing of risks is. And I was struck that the balancing of risks that was implicit in not moving this time was kind of inconsistent with the balancing of risks that that was signaled by the two tightenings and by the forecast revisions.
Speaker 16: I want to go overseas to China. They had a much different policy meeting coming out of the People's Bank of China a cut and there's been a lot of discussion here Larry about the health of the Chinese economy and light of the data we've gotten and a lot of some of the reports by Bloomberg and others that they are considering fiscal or at least some sort of economic stimulus measures to get that economy going back again.
Speaker 9: I think the Chinese have a very difficult set of challenges ahead of them. They're very serious financial overhangs coming out of what's happening in real estate. I take a somewhat more medium term view of it. And what's an economy about. Economy is about people and it's about capital. And what we know is that the number of births in China has fallen by almost fifty percent in the last six years. And we know that Bloomberg reported that the number of millionaires leaving China was kind of high, high by historical standards and high by global standards. So whether it's a supply of people investment in new capital, I think you've got some fundamental bets that aren't running that positive.
Speaker 6: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexi up Play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 6: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 1: And I'm Amy Morris. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak