Speaker 1: Welcome into jag Zama. I'm Kindannie Stevens, Brian Sexton, and John Oser are with me today. Is we're gonna recap that game for you from Las Vegas on Sunday. So we'll start with big things. Number One, unlucky in Las Vegas. Obviously, the Jaguars losing to the Raiders and other teams struggling throughout their season as well. Brian, it's disappointed, to say the least. Obviously, it has been frustrating this entire season. But to lose to a team that is also not very good, that doesn't feel.
Speaker 2: Great, you know, And I'm not sure that unlucky is the best way to describe it, because this is what we've seen all year.
Speaker 3: I mean, Eric.
Speaker 2: Ormstead back to back plays in the Neutrals thought, that's just a disciplined So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm lucky for us to have to watch it now.
Speaker 2: Listen there, You're absolutely right. It was a very tough game to watch.
Speaker 3: John. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: Late season, out of the playoffs, before Christmas football, and over five or six games they've they've been eliminated, what with like five or six games remaining the Jags, it defies logic to think one of these wasn't coming. This was sort of it. Neither team is very good, neither team's playing a starting quarterback. The Jaguars have one front line receiver in the game, and it's and it's Brian Thomas Junior, who plays like it. So it's it's it's the same thing, different week, this one with a Christmas bow on.
Speaker 2: It felt like human nature had finally arrived, right. I mean, you're going west the week of Christmas, you're missing key players, You've lost games at the end. It's gotten to be that point where you just can't avoid. As John just said, a game like that, they felt like the first time all year guy that human nature showed up.
Speaker 1: I felt like it got to them. Big thing number two is too late. We're talking a lot this week about getting the younger players out there, getting other players experienced in this game. It might be a little too late for that.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know for the guys that haven't been around, it's hard. And I've been through this stuff many times, and you just got to go play ball and know that your tape is your resume and everyone's watching the tape and that's what you gotta do. And it stinks and I do everything in my power to scream at guys and cuss and say let's effing go, But.
Speaker 4: Is what it is?
Speaker 1: John, You and I were there for that. And Andrew winger Dewey very frustrated without getting to play, got into the game a little bit only after injury. And we've been talking a lot about whether it was Dewey coming back or younger players, and we haven't seen all of that at least second.
Speaker 3: He's frustrated.
Speaker 4: He's worked at this a long time, been a good player for a long time, had a chance to start before the season started, got hurt. So yeah, I mean we're seeing some younger guys. I understand coaches with playing younger guys. They don't just say let's throw everybody out there and see what happens. You still want to give yourself the best chance, you know. Has it happened soon enough? I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's is it too late? I guess it feels like a lot of things are too late this season.
Speaker 2: You're right on, But just for three names, right, I mean, Keilan Robinson, Jordan Jefferson and Trey Prince. And I thought because Ronald Darby was down, we might see Trey Prince, who I think is a promising guy, obviously talking about it all the time, but you do have some young guys for whom there are some hopes that they can evolve and become players.
Speaker 3: And I'm not in the meeting room.
Speaker 2: I don't know why they're not active, but there are some young guys and maybe the final two weeks we could see some of those three and see if they are guys that you can lean on going into twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Our final big thing is final Push, because while there it was some finality to that game in Las Vegas, there are STI still two more games that have to be played. Mac Jones talked a little bit about the end of the season.
Speaker 6: We'll keep that private, but definitely for me as as I've been this situation two years in a row, just play good football and put the ball in play and eliminate turnovers and control we can control, and like I said, once we're all on the same page, promise things will go well and and that's that's our goal.
Speaker 5: Ran.
Speaker 1: We've been talking about the energy we've seen from the team. They're in these games. They're close games, but it feels like it's reaching the end of the track with this amount of energy that they have left with all that's been frustrating the season.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's a combination of lack of key players, right. I mean the fact that we're talking to Mac Jones after the game and not Trevor Lawrence says something about.
Speaker 3: Where this team is and that they're throwing the ball at times.
Speaker 2: You have Tim Jones on the field yesterday, I mean, not Christian Kirk. You're relying on Parker Washington and not Gave Davis. So it's just kind of where they are at this point of the season. If you'd like something to be optimistic about, something to look forward to in the final two weeks, I can give you something.
Speaker 3: Would you like that?
Speaker 1: Please do.
Speaker 2: The Jaguars are good to finish with the winning record, but they could finish with a winning record in the division. I mean it's not much, but we're looking for something to put in the old proverbial Christmas stocking. Perhaps a couple of wins at the end of the year would give them something to be happy about.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: It's all I got John.
Speaker 4: Yeh, Look, somebody asked me, how did he get to this point offensively? Well, they weren't a particularly good offense before, and now they're playing a backup quarterback and they're down three of their top four receivers. So I don't think not particularly good. It's going to get great in the circumstances. So that's why you see an offense that when Brian Thomas you can't make a play. Uh, there's not much going on offensively. It's where we're at. Merry Christmas.
Speaker 1: Oh that was mean, all right, So this we'll come back after the brake. We'll look at some of the tape from the game in Vegas. Move the Frame, Move the Freight. Magellan Transport voted the coolest office space in Jacksonville. You canply on line at www dot Magellan Logistics dot com. Welcome back into drag Zam. We're gonna talk a little bit about that game in Las Vegas. Obviously frustrating and kind of just bad football on both sides. Obviously both of these teams have had trouble this season, but we did see a little bit of something after all those errors in the first half. We did see the offense get going a little bit. But John, as we've talked about, it's always Brian Thomas junior that has to get it going. Otherwise we don't see much of anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's uh, I don't know what the stat is, but it seems like the last four or five games, a couple of touchdowns each game, and when you kind of look back at the key play, it's always a bet and it says great things about him, not great things about the team. And yesterday again in the first half and they got it go and they got the touchdown right after his he was a sixteen yarder that broke Justin Blackings record and then credit him for sticking it in. You know, they got the lead and they can't do much with it.
Speaker 2: It's amazing that we can talk about Brian Thomas Junior as much as we do week after week after week and it doesn't seem to get old' he's that good. And he's doing it without Trebor Lawrence. He's doing it on a field essentially all by himself. Because listen, no disrespect intended, but no one is worried about Parker Washington or Tim Jones or whoever else is out there, Josh Reynolds.
Speaker 3: It's all about seven.
Speaker 2: And they put this team together this year with the idea that it was gonna be kind of like basketball John Proper spacing makes everything work, and they haven't had it, and he's still playing so well, and it's such a dominant player. I'm excited to see what they do if they can get it right with everyone else around him next year.
Speaker 4: Ye thoughts to him, and I think what you're gonna see is once they get things moving around him. He had nine for one hundred and thirty yesterday, which is what about twelve yards reception ish and wasn't very good at math. But I think once he gets people around him a little bit, you're gonna see those yards perception go up. He's gonna be more of a attack the defense in the middle guy. And he's a smart guy the press. Tyler talked about it last week, his ability to run all routes of all these receiver positions. Can you imagine how good he's gonna be once those things calm down in his head and he's.
Speaker 1: An experienced receiver.
Speaker 3: It's I you're looking at the top five guy.
Speaker 1: It's good to see, at least on that side of the football. We talked a lot about confoundary footballs is not new. This is an issue they've had all season, but finally get on the scoreboard and immediately give up a touchdown to the Raiders. And it's just that ability or lack of ability to cover, and they're letting these huge plays come about. Obviously this one against Tyson and Campbell setting up the touchdown, and just throughout the year. I mean, it's is it scheming, it's players, it's all of it.
Speaker 2: It seems like, Kay, you tried to be kind with this secondary this year and give them time to evolve, but they've been horrible. The number of explosive plays lead the league are a franchise record already with two games left to play, and they've been maddeningly consistent when you needed a play to be made, whether it was the Packers game at the end when the Jags tied it up, or the Eagles game when the Jaguars were making it closer and the safety to go over the top and DeVonta Smith was wide open at the back of the end zone. I mean, it's just been game after game after game. The secondary has to be taken apart, reconstituted, and put back together in a different form than twenty twenty five. You can't play with this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been as bad as Brian described. And look, it doesn't mean every player is atrocious. It doesn't mean that every play has been bad. But the NFL is about like big plays, and when you give up three or four a game and their game breakers like that, then all of a sudden, the fifteen plays you did make don't matter. So I did not expect this sort of season from that bunch.
Speaker 2: They gotta fix the safeties in particular. I mean, whether it's about Cisco or Antonio Johnson or Turnhill Savage, I mean, they have all been really bad and the mistakes that they have made, whether it was Cisco an opening day against Miami as he watched Tyreek Hill or or Philly or the Jets game, you know, the safety Antonio Johnson watched DeVante Adams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a fair few examples, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: Well, I can just roll them off the top of my head, which goes to show we've been dealing with it all season long.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, all right, we're not gonna belabor the point. We'll look at one more. Because Brian Thomas Juniors touched down that broken play, we finally got one of our own on offense. Obviously, the Raiders missing a field goal before that, so kind of set it up. As I mentioned, both these teams not the best, so it's set up that play. But and we talked a little bit about this earlier with Brian, but just it's impressive that he's able to run all of those different routes, right, and he's doing that. I think John you mentioned without knowing that.
Speaker 4: Ent wasn't necessarily Sexton. Brian Sexton Junior could have scored on that put.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: But the person I talked about a lot last week, and it was very interesting that once the other guy's got hurt, all of a sudden, BTJ is running routes from different receiver positions. It can take veterans. There are veterans who can't do that. He hasn't spent an off season learning it. His ability to pick up the press was saying basically, he he hears something that they told Christian Kirk, hasn't really drilled it, and then can go out and do it. That's high end football intelligence. This kid, once that gets where it's it's like learning a language, right. He sort of knows Spanish now once he really learned Spanish.
Speaker 3: Wow, ole.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's about all I know. So here's a really impressive part we talked. I just railed on the Jaguar secondary. How bad are the Raiders that at the snap of the bowl the safety on Brian Thomas junior side runs to the middle of it, runs away, and the corner jumps up to meet him and then lets him go by. I mean, that's the only threat on the entire field, and he's a hell of a threat. He could make you look stupid. And two guys ran away from him.
Speaker 3: What does that mean he had one job?
Speaker 2: Listen, put three guys around him. Because you don't worry about no offense, You don't worry about anyone else but number seven man. You can't have enough guys to go where is he? And on that play, it's like they went, don't worry about him?
Speaker 4: Or when you're having tough seasons. Yeah, those things happen in tough seasons. Both teams are having tough seasons.
Speaker 1: Stay with us here on jag Zamar and give me your hot takes After free Jaguars fans, register your furry friends for the Official Jaguars Official Four Legged Fan Club for Pets presented by Forever That's Animal hospital. Your pet will receive access to exclusive merchandise, events and sweepstakes throughout the season to the Jaguars dot Com Slash Promotion Slash four Legged Fan Club to sign up today. Welcome you back in and now we're gonna give you our hot takes from Firehouse Subs. And I don't know how blazing hot they're gonna be. But Brian, do you got one?
Speaker 2: Well, mind's a lot optimistic. Listen, you can turn this too, right, I mean it can. It went south fast. I'll go back to the end of the third quarter of Miami An opening day, Travis etn fumbles into the end zone, Dolphins recover next play touchdown, and it felt to me like the wind was out of their sails at that moment, and it's never really returned because of Brian Thomas Junior. Because you're playing without Trevor Lawrence right now.
Speaker 3: You've got Evan Ingram who will be back next year.
Speaker 2: You've got some guys, You've got some promising young guys. What I watched yes yesterday just made me shake my head but realize that maybe, just maybe, if you get this thing right in the offseason, meaning how you construct your roster, how you deal with your salary cap, what you decide to do going forward with your leadership, both in personnel and in coaching. If you get it right, you can turn this thing back around. Listen, I'm not saying you're going to compete with Kansas City or Buffalo or Baltimore in twenty twenty five, but you can compete with Houston because this is not a great division. I watch them as you probably did on Saturday. They're not a great team. We know what the Colts and the Titans are. The Jaguars have enough promising young talent that they can get this thing back to a eight nine, ten wins sort of team relatively quickly.
Speaker 3: I believe that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, and you can get eight to nine nine eight a say eight and eight. I'm an old guys, but yes, even the difference between eight and nine what this is for this team is not huge.
Speaker 3: No, you can get it.
Speaker 4: I think the long term you serve with the franchise needs to be how do you get structurally over a two or three year period up to the teams you're talking about.
Speaker 3: That's a heavier lift.
Speaker 4: To have a legitimate Super Bowl hopes, there needs to be some structure stuff in terms of the roster, Andrew needs your quarterback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take that next big step and become that elite franchise quarterback.
Speaker 3: If that's the case, if he comes back next.
Speaker 2: Year better than he's ever been, Okay, I mean then this is not enough take, right, But I do think when you look what eight one score losses, seven of those in the final two minutes of the game. You flip a couple of those and you're where we're talking about, so you can turn this thing around as quickly as it went south on you.
Speaker 4: Yep, my take was also relatively cold. It we'll call it hot because it's Christmas. Same old, same old, has gotten roll old. I mean, it's sort of the theme of the show, and my hot take is sort of what the theme of the show is. It's the exact same stuff we've seen all year. Not enough plays at the end of the game secondary can't cover, and then you lose a one score game because you don't have players except for Brian Thomas Junior who make plays about the exits of notes and that's why they're not in the playoff.
Speaker 3: Hunt and three eleven or three and twelve min Here's how old it is. Gotten I stopped by.
Speaker 2: A Christmas party on my way home from the stadium last night, and nobody wanted to ask me about the game. Nobody even wanted to offer condolences like, oh, you guys are dealing with this again. Nobody even wanted to talk about the game. That's how old it's gotten. Because hope on any given Sunday exists for NFL fans, Jaguars fans, as sick as they are of what the season has become, still on Sunday you want to have a little bit of hope that at least you might enjoy your team's performance, even in a dismal year like this. And it's gotten so old that nobody even wanted to talk, even to give me a little grief about it, which everyone seems to want to do whether I'm in publics or wherever Christmas shopping.
Speaker 3: Not yesterday.
Speaker 1: It's a season of cheer. Oh boy, Unfortunately I'm going to be a little gloomy as well. I think that was the final one score game. That's my hot take that we're going to see this season. We've seen a lot of close losses, nine one score losses this year, because it felt like they were always close to getting a win. I don't think we're going to see that the rest of the way. Mason Rudolph's now the quarterback for the Titans. I think if they had had him in a quarterback, I don't believe the Jags would have won that most recent game in Nashville. And I think the Colts are trying to put something together, proof something to themselves the back half of their season. So unfortunately, I think the three that we got are the three that we're going to have the rest of the way.
Speaker 2: And well, especially if you're playing without more guys, right, I mean, if Walker little because I thought cold Van Landon played pretty well. I mean, I know we had the holding call on that key fourth down play, but I didn't even notice it most of the game. So we obviously came in and did a pretty decent job. But you know, when you lose more guys, I mean, Ventral Miller's a guy that you might not have back, and maybe Anton Harra send you just if you Yeah, yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a tough one.
Speaker 4: I think Sunday could be a repeat of yesterday because the Titans are in the same boat. So you've got again, two more teams in the same both that you don't want to be.
Speaker 2: I'll say this, Doug Peterson's four and one against the Titans. That's not something a lot of Jaguars coaches over the history of that series have been able to claim a winning record.
Speaker 3: So maybe he's got a little something. We'll see. I'm hopeful. I'm hopeful.
Speaker 1: There we go, and I'd love to be wrong. We always love a Titans win no matter when it comes. Stay with us here we'll tell you what's coming up the rest of the week. Here on tagxam DAGs fans, if you want customized Jaguars furniture for your home, check au zipcha dot com to brows all the customizable options. Zip Cherry is furniture for fans and this weekend's game against the Titans is brought to you by publics where shopping is a Pleasure's gonna be the final home game of the season, guys, and many ways this is s felt like the season would never end. But we are nearing the end, and what's it gonna look like? Do we know?
Speaker 3: I think he's gonna look into over to the crowd. In terms of the in terms of all of it. Uh. I, Oh, we've seen it.
Speaker 4: I mean I I I the last few games in a season like this, there's a little less I a little less enthusiasm for it. I think the game will look very similar to what the last few games will look like. I think you're gonna see a bunch of Jaguars, uh, players that are trying hard, and you know, the top guns aren't playing, So it's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be what we've seen. Uh.
Speaker 4: Now, they might catch lighting in a bottle and have a really good game and get a win.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: But it's been sort of middling lately. Yeah, I I I kind of expect that we'll see well, I I shet off the top and you kind of alluded to it. I it feels like the human nature of a difficult season in the holidays and so many of their top players not playing, and so many young players having to play. I mean, it just feels like the weight of a long, disappointing season has just gotten to be too much and their ability to fight it back is limited.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Most of these games at the end of the season like this come down to I guess it. The Jagged stayed in it because they got a lead. Okay, some enthusiasm.
Speaker 3: We're going. The danger of these it is if you get.
Speaker 4: Down by double digits at some point then guys. Doug talked about it in his presser this week. It's not that you quit, it's that when you get down ten or something goes wrong, you sort of go off script and you try to do too much and then it just sort of gets Well.
Speaker 2: Luckily you don't have the Lions or the Bills or the Chiefs on your schedule the next two weeks.
Speaker 1: You've seen that, Yeah, that was not good. Team has a little bit of a break for the holiday. We hope you guys enjoy your holiday as well. We will be back here on JAGXAM on Thursday to talk a little bit more about that Titans game coming up on Sunday.
Speaker 6: H