Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Civic Cipher. I am your host, Ramsey's Jah.
Speaker 2: He is ram Jah, I am q Ward. You are listening to Civic Cipher. Back to do it one more time for you.
Speaker 1: Uh, We've got some interesting things to talk about, a lot to stick around for, so do just that. Today we're going to be talking about black women, specifically the mistreatment of black women and how there are some things that you may not know, some consistencies with respect to that specific experience that you may not have insight into. And it's not just complaining, it's not you know, there's stories there, and we also have some examples as well, And we also want you to know that it's not just me and Q rattling this stuff off. Our producer is Maggie aka Maggie B. Knowen has given us this script and so her input will be felt throughout today's discussions. Also, we're going to talk about I want to spend some time talking about voting in midterm elections. There's a lot of crazy stuff going on in the world right now that you may not know about as well, and so we want to kind of tell you some things, some deep, dark secrets you may not be aware of so that you can remain motivated and hopefully motivate other people to take action, people in your circle, people that you work with, whatever, people that care about people, so that we don't let this moment pass us by, because in my belief, we're on the cusp of things going really one or two ways. So again, a lot to stick around for. And oh, before I forget, we're also going to be talking about the roots of house music. You know, it's the release of Beyonce's new album and Drake's new album. Well, house music started with black folks. We're going to talk about that as well. But first and foremost, let's talk about some abny excellence. How does that sound? Shall we shall? So? Today's abny Excellence is brought to you by Hip Hop Weekly Media. The story comes via Black Enterprise. So meet Lilian Lincoln Lambert, the first black woman to receive a Harvard NBA. Lincoln Lambert received a Master of Business Administration for Harvard from Harvard in nineteen sixty nine, used it to carve a career path for other black women to excel. Forbes reports, the author, public speaker, and entrepreneur in the building maintenance industry grew her business to more than twelve hundred employees in six states and twenty million dollars in revenue before selling it. Today, Lambert is a public speaker focusing on the power of persistence, resilience, courage, and morality, and the hurdles that prevent people from reaching their full potential. Using the power of storytelling, Lambert inspires her audiences to dream big, act bold, and pave their paths and pave their paths sure. One of the things Lambert tells her audience is that she focuses on three important steps. So if you got your pens, phones, whatever, make some notes, because this is an amazing person with an amazing story that we can all learn from. Number One, learn as much as you can. The better prepared you are, the more leverage you'll have in negotiations to create a blueprint of your goal. This will help you focus and create a manageable strategy. Three, don't let fear paralyze you from going after what you want. The world teaches us in subtle ways, in particular black women oftentimes that are not capable or doesn't show many examples of black women excelling, So that's very important. In a final note here women don't need to be afraid to step out and allow themselves to make mistakes. Lambert said, don't be intimidated by men or people that think they're smarter than you. Most of the time they're not as smart as they think they are. Well said and true in my experience, certainly so, once again, shout out to Lillian Lincoln Lambert, today's have any excellence now black women. Mistreatment of black women, who I think you know, if you're listening to this show, I think you know that black women kind of have it the hardest. You know, imagine being born a woman, which in a lot of people's you certainly socially progressive intellectuals estimations, a lot of those folks consider women to be regarded as second class citizens in even advanced modern you know, societies, progressive societies, if you will, Women make less money, women have less opportunities, et cetera. Right, But the same holds true in this country and globally for black people. And so if you're born a woman and black, I've heard it stated that you are born with two strikes against you, and then you're expected to get out there and make a go of it. Now, this isn't all doom and gloom because on this show we celebrate black girl magic as often as we can, and we recognize that black women have overcome a tremendous amount. Right, black women are more educated than ever, more educated than black men, I think, the most.
Speaker 2: Educated, more educated than every Yeah.
Speaker 1: The most educated group. Yeah, I remember we did that show. I don't want to requote the statistics, but I know that Black women are excelling in terms of education. And then lots of areas, but the reality is still that there's a long road to travel before there is a real sense of equity and equality. There are just some areas that you know, black women have managed to make some strides. And it's interesting because you know, before we get into today's stories, I want you to know how we think about this topic. And I'm gonna speak for Q. I don't like to do that, but hopefully it's okay. In this one instance, we love everyone. We recognize that everyone is valuable. We are all. We all exist as a result of the same creator, regardless of who you consider that creator to be. We are all expressions of a similar consciousness, and we have a finite amount of time in our relatively insignificant place in the universe. Right, we make a big deal out of ourselves because our biology compels us to do so. But the fact is is that we really need each other. So in this celebration of black women, we need to make sure that the people who have the hardest time recognize a that that shouldn't be happening to them. But I think I take it a step further and say that in this time, I'll speak for me, and if you disagree to you, you can certainly jump in there. But my belief is that the black woman is as close to God as any of us will ever see on this planet, in this realm, and in this time. So the reason I say that is because the first one was black. For those familiar with science and that go down those rabbit holes like I do you know, look up mitochondrial Eve, the mother to us all, we're all related to this one woman who lived in Africa many years ago, and this was a black woman, human woman, and we all have her encoding in us. And so when I say the black woman is the closest expression to God that we'll ever see, that is based on science meeting what we know to be well established in Christian religion as close to fact as we're going to be able to say. You know, I'm paying a compliment of course, but you know, there's also an element of truth there, and it's very unfortunate that black women have to endure such a challenging reality when this is the mother of all of us, the mother of civilization. You know, I've said it before on the show that my belief is that black women are the most beautiful expression of human beings, older black women. That's the most beautiful expression of a human being that I've seen in my life. And funnily enough, the second most beautiful expression of a human being I've found is an Asian man who is also older. I just think that's a beautiful thing to look at. You know. So while I am very much an advocate for black people, I'm black myself, I have black children, you know, and I live a very black life. I will be fair. You know, what I see is what I see, and what I know is what I know, And so hopefully that lends a bit more credibility and you can see that there's a bit of an unbiased approach to the things that I say about black women than being beautiful certainly, and later in life that's gorgeous to me. And again back to black women being the closest that we'll ever see to God. Now wait before I before I move on, I kind of spoke for you. I don't want to. I don't want to leave you. There is there anything you got to add or you want to adjust anything? I said? You know, now's the time to do it.
Speaker 2: No, no, proceed, Okay, all right, very good.
Speaker 1: Now let's talk about black women and how black women are treated. So the topic given to us by H. Maggie b. Knowan is the mistreatment of black women. Charges finally filed against some officers in the murder of Brionna Taylor. And you know, the foremost question there is what took so long? And why really was this not pursued initially and immediately? So I'll read a bit. This comes from time. So for Bonna Taylor's supporters, justice finally came in the form of a federal civil rights case. Four officers involved in the March twenty twenty police raid they killed Brionna Taylor were arrested by the FBI Thursday. Three of them are charged with violating Taylor's civil rights which carries a maximum of life in prison if convicted. The raid on Taylor's Louisville apartment was the result of lies. The federal indictment alleged a warrant for the no knock warrant raid that led to Taylor's death should never have been granted, and Breonna Taylor should be alive today, said US Attorney General Merrick Garland. For Taylor's family and her supporters in Louisville, the Department of Justice announcement was the beginning of justice that they believe had been denied to them. Only one officer involved in a twenty six year old black woman's killing was charged under Kentucky law, and he was acquitted at trial. Quote. I've waited eight hundred and seventy four days for today, Tamika Palmer, Brianna's mother said, and her quote continues. Today's overdue, but it still hurts. They shouldn't have been there, and Brianna didn't deserve that. Now. I'm not going to hash out who Breonna Taylor was because my assumption is that you wouldn't know. We talk about her a lot on the show, and of course, if you were alive and breathing, in twenty twenty. That is, perhaps right after George Floyd, perhaps the most shouted name on the streets during all the protests. So, if you don't know, and on.
Speaker 2: Television and television and radio and social media and.
Speaker 1: Social media arrest the cops that murdered Breonna Taylor, I think that was a popular meme sort of thing that took place at that time as well. Now, if you don't know the whole story, please look it up. It's worth looking up and then you'll find out exactly how she was treated. And we did an episode on this as well as almost collateral damage. You know, the police have to get the bad guy, which we're in the wrong place and there was no bad guy there, but their approach to it was like, well, well, it's just kind of the cost of doing business. Sometimes you get them, sometimes other people die. And that cavalier attitude toward a woman's life, we believe only happens when the woman is black and does not have a high profile, you know, not a celebrity, you know, those sorts of things. Have this been Gabby Potito and the police raided the wrong house and killed Gabby Patito, you know, blond haired, blue eyed white woman. There wouldn't have even been the need for an outcry because they would have owned it the family. You know, this would have been handled privately, quietly, and there wouldn't have you know, they would have acknowledged, hey, this is a mistake, rather than that's just kind of the cost of doing business. Right, So that shows you the value of black life. And today we're talking about black women's lives. So obviously people were very upset by that. National protest erupted and the rest is history now as far as those protests are concerned. We were out on the streets right and we had a chance to see the amount of signage, the amount of support. You know, this was a national moment and movement. And then as we mentioned the social media that followed that, you know, you remember the the videos that used to come up on social media where people would start by telling this the beginnings of like a prolific story or profound sort of whatever, and then right in the middle they'd switch gears and be like, arrest the cops.
Speaker 2: Conclusion, right, like the moral of the of every story, no matter what he had started so, was to arrest the cops that murdered Brehonna tangle.
Speaker 1: Right, So I think it's important to mention that that for the those people that were in that moment standing in solidarity with black people, that were doing their best to feel the pain that black people were feeling and to help us to deal with the amount of hopelessness and the amount of frustration and the amount of you know, all those feelings that black people were feeling in that time, not just by you know, acknowledging it, but no coming out on the streets, standing with us, sharing on social media, bringing attention to the fact that these injustices are unfortunately frequent. These just happened to time out in such a way to where it was sort of a perfect storm. George Floyd was already hot, but an issue COVID happened, people weren't at work, everybody could get outside, you know, that sort of thing. But for those people that acknowledged this with us, I think it's important for us to say that we commend you, and we're still working to bring attention to these stories and to make the world a better place. This is the purpose of this show. But today we're talking about the fact that it took where's that number eight hundred and seventy four days or charges to be brought. And I think again the comparison to another popular name of a white woman who had no status or no profile before something bad happened to her, Gabby Patito. I think if you were just to think about that yourself, you could see how the media would approach that differently, how police would approach that differently, how accountability would look different in those situations. The thing is, we don't want to harp. I know that we have to as part of the reason why Q kind of keeps me from floating off into the clouds. We have to bear in mind that the eight hundred and seventy four days of waiting is an injustice in and of itself. But because I'm mean, because I always have a tendency to get this stuff off, I do want to say that some justice, late justice. Partial justice is better than no justice, is better than a complete failure to acknowledge or take responsibility for what happened.
Speaker 2: If there is any then I'd agree with you, right because we know that officers being arrested and or charged means nothing. Right I'm guessing will stand trial. And then there's the topic of sentencing, which far too often seems to be very very very light or acquitted with regards to law enforcement being charged with murder, especially when those victims look like us, more so, as we can see with the Kuittles, when the victim looks like us, and as a woman. So I'm hesitant to celebrate anyway. It got no rise out of me. Excuse me, when I saw that charges were brought, I had no emotional response whatsoever. I'd love to see accountability actually happen, and I'm sure I'll feel a lot different than it, But I just I have no evidence, and there's no data that gives me any reason to have any faith in this system that has failed us so monumentally and so often and so consistently. There is still no reason to celebrate yet, right that, kudos to them for doing the job that they shouldn't have. No one should have had to insist they do, and it definitely shouldn't have taken two and a half years for something to happen. But we'll see.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair. I think that's more than fair. You know, there's that's fair, you know. And then obviously we've seen that sometimes these things are the result of pressure, like if the country hadn't gotten into the streets. This may have never happened even after eight hundred and seventy four days, right, But my hope is that even having charges brought against these officers more frequently, the attention being brought to it, us, having this conversation here and now, maybe the ripple effect of these combined actions and hopefully the results of this trial and the results of these actions will create off us who think twice. It will implore the people behind the systems that really frame our society to understand that there at least maybe some consequences feels like a strong word, but inconveniences if you take the life of a black woman and that might be something enough for some people to at least pause before they continue through. Or you know, I'm trying to find a shred of something positive here, you know, beyond the fact that, of course there are charges now finally brought. I'm trying to find, you know, how about this. We have come a long way. This is not the world that our fathers, our grandfathers, our great grandfathers lived in, but this hopefully will not be the world that our children and grandchildren and great grandchildren live in. And my hope is that, yes, the here and now that today might look bleak, it might look like we are a long way from you know, where we have to be, and those things are true. But if we look at these things in the scale of a human lifetime, then it looks impossible. But if we look at this in terms of the scale of a country and how long countries last, then in my more optimistic view, when I have them from time to time more often than you do, I see a trajectory that hopefully will continue, and we'll move this whole country along toward a more perfect union. To borrow from the language of this country's forefathers. Yeah, I think that the incline of a graph that would be showing the trend of progress for said country, it'd be far less steep than you might hope. I think we're trending in a direction that we've always hoped, just very very slowly, and there's far less progress from the years of our great grandparents than you would hope. But then you would imagine we're not having dogs sicked on us in the streets anymore, right, But a lot of the outcomes are the same. So I saw that, remember that video we did, though I reserve, I reserve. I'll reserve my.
Speaker 2: Response for actual progress instead of you know, what might appear to be so to some, because I know these outcomes are sadly and typically the same. Yeah, so we'll see hopefully we have something not to cheer, but just to be able to nod our heads and say, okay, at least some form of accountability has started to show its face. Right.
Speaker 1: Well, I do want to say this. You mentioned dog sicked on us, and that's still a thing. Remember that video that we had to talk about where the police sick the dog on the man who was just standing there. He was a black man and the dog like bit him up and he had to go to the hospital and they ripped him apart kind of, So that still kind of happens. I know you probably.
Speaker 2: Maybe not as frequent. I'll say that then, sure.
Speaker 1: And I know that today's topic is about black women. But I do want to also mention while we have a few minutes or a few seconds left, that ah Moud Aubrey's killer was sentenced to a federal hate crime to a term of life in prison plus ten years amid his fears that someone would hurt him in jail, and so that's another thing. My hope is that will the ripple effect will be that society will certainly society that harbors the sentiment that black bodies can be damaged with no consequences. You can harm black people and no one's going to come out. Those groups will see that verdict and realize even more that we probably should take it easy, because.
Speaker 2: When we get when we get to a point where this man is not an outlier or an exception once again, I'll feel a lot better. You give me one case of accountability and then you give me thousands of cases of impunity, it's hard to really feel away about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, and far be it for me to be a part of the media that influences the world to think that just because there's one instance that everything's changing. So you're right, there are lots of cases that don't go on reported, so they go on reporting