Speaker 1: This story contains adult content and language. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Those two really were in love with one another, and that, as we know, can make you do crazy things.
Speaker 1: I'm Kate Winkler Dawson, a nonfiction author and journalism professor in Austin, Texas. I'm also the host of the historical true crime podcast Tenfold More Wicked and the co host of the podcast Buried Bones on Exactly Right. I've traveled around the world interviewing people for the show, and they are all excellent writers. They've had so many great true crime stories, and now we want to tell you those stories with details that have never been published. Tenfold More Wicked presents Wicked Words is about the choices that writers make, good and bad. It's a deep dive into the stories behind the stories. This episode isn't about a typical true crime story. There's no murder, but there doesn't need to be to make it a wild story. This is about manipulation, tragedy, and obsession, lots of obsession. Author Michael Finkel documented it in his book The Art Thief. Why do you think this book became a New York Times bestseller? You know this is not a traditional true crime book in that way? What is it that attracts readers to it? Do you think?
Speaker 2: I mean? Who doesn't go through a museum? Right? My wife and I love to go to museums and we will stop in front of a painting that we both love and we sort of look at each other and we're like, Oh, wouldn't that just look fantastic over the couch or something like that. Breitweiser, Stephan Breitweiser, who is the protagonist my book. He's the art thief if you cut away all the moral decrepitude. He lived this sort of amazing like dream life where he filled his bedroom with an estimated two billion dollars worth of art just to enjoy them. And who wouldn't be sort of interested in knowing? More like, is this guy a bastard? Is this guy a decent guy? Can I relate to him? Or am I completely disgusted by his behavior? It opens up a whole treaty of questions.
Speaker 1: Well, what's interesting to me about Stefan is how much his personal life plays into this. His mother and his girlfriend. Right, do we start from childhood or his relationships? Where does it make the most sense to give us context to how he ended up doing what he did.
Speaker 2: Breitweiser, Stefan the art Thief, was born in nineteen seventy one, so all of everything we're about to talk about it is not only true, it's fairly current. He's French, grew up in the Alisaus region, which is where France, Switzerland and Germany sort of meet, had a pretty well did you upbringing. His parents divorced when he was a teenager. Father left the family, The mother, after the divorce settlement, bought this tiny little house in the suburbs of a kind of a not the prettiest of French cities, a town called Mulouse, and Breitweiser and his girlfriend moved into the attic of his mother's house. These two Stefan and An Catherine, people that were in their young twenties when they started. They stole more art at a quicker pace than really has ever been recorded. Breitwiser was like a little bit of a little bit of a delinquent, a couple of shoplifting episodes in his youth, always sort of a loner, a difficult child according to both of his parents, and then a person according to all those who knew him as a kid that was always obsessed with objects and collecting. Liked objects more than people, found beauty not in others, but in pieces of art that appealed to him.
Speaker 1: Did he have a good dynamic with his mother when he's in his twenties or does he continue to be difficult as he gets older?
Speaker 2: Oh, mother son relationships swear? Do we even start? So? I spent eleven years on this project to write a very short book. As a matter of fact, one of the advantages of spending a lot of time is that you have the opportunity to build up a lot of trust. And I reached such a level of trust with Stefan Breitweiser that he actually gave me signed written permission to read his psychology reports. So I did get a lot of insight into what was going on. So there's basically a triangle here, right, Wiser, his girlfriend A'm Catherine, and his mother, And remember he and his girlfriend lived in his mother's house. Breitweiser was a full time art thief. He committed over two hundred separate heists for three hundred works of art. But I mentioned that he didn't sell them, so, in other words, he might have been a full time artief, but really, that's just a very kind way of saying. He was an unemployed freeloader. He lived in his mother's basement, didn't even pay rent, and lied to his mother about where he was acquiring all this art, said, you know these are from yard sales or they're knockoffs. I just want to make the attic look beautiful. And at first I believe the mother believes it. But soon the whole triangle is involved in these thefts, and as things get crazier and crazier and this sort of inevitable breaking.
Speaker 1: Point, when does this all begin? What year are we talking about, sometime in the nineties, and where does he get the balls to make this first heist.
Speaker 2: Of his So it starts in nineteen ninety four. Breitweiser graduated from high school I believe in ninety one, so he was about twenty years old when he started. A couple things you should probably know before we get into, like how does someone get away with not just one to ten twenty fifty, but two hundred different heights? Like what kind of a master thief is this person? Or how did he do it? The start was really a few pieces of background. One one of Breitweiser's first jobs out of high school was as a museum security guard, and I mentioned how much he loved looking at works of art that appealed to him. And he quit this job after about a month, but really learn firsthand in a way that would be almost impossible through just observation, how security works in the museum, what are the limits of human observation, how do those cameras work, what's going on? And he also worked another job in a high quality art framing shop, ostensibly learning how to put frames on valuable paintings, but really learning how to take them off. After his father leaves, how his father inherited this wonderful collection of oil paintings, ivories, antique weapons, watches, things like that. After the divorce, the father gread inherited this took everything with him, and Breitweiser felt this acute, even though he was a teenager at the time, not just the sense of abandonment, but really missed these inanimate objects and pretty much the father leaves, the girlfriend enters the scene. They move into the mother's attic, and Catherine also has this like aesthetic eye. He Breitweiser spoke so lovingly of his girlfriend she was the one who sort of guided his love of art. The first piece they stole, they're walking through a small town museum. Now a lot of the museums Breitweiser stole from where these little local museums that are dotted all over Europe, though he also stole from huge museums almost the size of the Louver, as well as auctions and art galleries. But really mostly his main source of acquisition, shall we say, was from these small museums that are poorly guarded and have amazing works of art, but usually not the high tech security at a place like the Louver House. He sees this antique pistol in a display case in a small town museum, immediately thinks of the collection that his father had taken from him, and he says, oh my gosh, this reminds me of something my father had, except a heck of a lot nicer, a ton more valuable. And this is like the thing that one of the things I miss most that used to be in my house. And his girlfriend and Katherine basically looks at our boyfriend Steffan and says, we'll take it. I mean again, I'm telling you, this is a small town museum. They didn't even have a lock on the display case in this place. He basically slides it open. He's wearing his school backpack, puts this beautiful antique pistol in this backpack, and they run out of the museum, which he soon realized was probably a bad idea. Anybody running out of the museum that's now missing an item, it's pretty suspicious. They were panicked, and now it was sort of like a dare or a spontaneous moment of craziness. They're driving back to their apartment and thinking we're going to hear sirens at any minute. This is like the dumbest thing ever. They get home, they're like, do we just return at the museum? We throw it out the window? What do we do? And they like wait a few days. They're looking at all the newspapers. They're like, why haven't the police come? Is that? Could we really have gotten away with that? Is that even possible? And this panic sort of fades into maybe like acceptance, and then this like sense of elation and thrill starts going on. They have this amazing pistol in their attic chamber and they're like, let's take something else and you know, we got a lot of blank walls around us. Let's see what we could do about it. And from there and Katherine and Klin Class and Stefan Breitweiser embark on this ridiculous, extraordinary, illegal mission.
Speaker 1: It doesn't cross their minds that this would be good to sell luck on the black market somewhere. They literally have no intention of selling anything that comes later on.
Speaker 2: Just every real art thief, literally, like ninety nine point nine nine percent less than one in a thousand art thieves care at all about art. If if you're gonna name any famous art crime, it probably the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. By the way, it's unsolved from nineteen ninety, more than thirty years ago. Those guys not only came in the night, attacked the night guards, bound their faces with duct tape, handcuff from the pipes in the basement. Already right, Wiser never used violence, or so much as the threat of violence to steal. But really, what these Gardner thieves did next is what Breitwiser hated most. Ball. They took a knife and they stuck it into a Rembrandt oil painting and cut the painting out with a knife. Basically, even if this painting has ever found, it will never be whole. Brightwiser, unlike almost every other art thief, stole because he loved these works and had these whack of doodle ideas about museums being prisons for art. Rightwiser described to me precisely what he wanted to do in front of work of art that just tickled all of his esthetic nerve endings. The first thing you want to do when you're seeing a work of art is sit in a very comfortable chair. Already, museums don't have like sofas. I mean, I would like to drink a glass of wine. You sort of want to run your fingers along the edge of it to feel the ridges of the paint. If you tried to do any of these things in the museum, I think they would frown upon it. So really, there are dedicated police forces in twenty different countries, including the United States, which has the FBI's Art Crime Team, twenty full time officers who are researching art in antiquities crime. But almost all the arrests are made when the thief tries to monetize the work, tries to sell it. That is the weak spot. When the art changes hands. It's not necessarily taking out of the museum, which is difficult onto itself. But museums, if you've been in them, you know those security guards are often senior citizens. They're not armed. That's not the hard part. The hard part is monetizing it. And by not even being interested in selling anything right wise was able to get away with things far long than almost anybody could ever imagine.
Speaker 1: So we have the pistol. What happens next. Does he make us switch to paintings at some point or do we have more weaponry from the past first, So the.
Speaker 2: Whole emotional rollercoaster from panic that they're about to be arrested to confidence that they should steal something else took nine months, which both seems like a long time and it is, and most are thieves steal once twice three times in a career. But nine months later they go to another museum, this one in a beautiful castle in Switzerland, and they take a crossbow, which, by the way, is a very large item, and in fact, you had to work it out of a window and drop it into these bushes and go around the outside of the museum and collect it. Yeah, so the crossbow. Nine months later, again sort of go through the whole cycle of panic, are we going to get caught? Oh my gosh, this is great hanging on the wall. I'm in ecstasy, hop into the four poster bed, and then think we need something else. And this time, this time, it was just a couple of months and then they yes, like you mentioned, they go to another museum in Swissend they finally steal a beautiful oil or trip from the seventeenth century, worth millions of dollars. Not that Breitweisers particularly cares about the price. He really cared about the esthetic reaction. I've been in museums with Brightweiser. Part of the time we spent together, and we spent lots of time together after trust was built up. You know, I saw that Brightwiser would go by ninety nine different paintings and just sort of nod and be laconic, and then he'd see something that he really loved in his entire mien, his entire attitude would change, his eyes would go wide open. He even described it to me as like an electric current was completed between him and the art. So they steal this painting. One of the reasons why the gardener thieves cut the canvas out of the rembrands they stole. Is that paint frames make it very unwieldy to steal a painting, like how do you walk out of a museum with us ending on a frame? So this is why Breightwiser would detach the frame. Almost all the paintings he stole were say the size of a pizza box or smaller. They could fit on the small at the small of his back. He liked to steal in cooler weather. He would wear a long overcoat and he would cover it. He would be very careful to protect the painting from scratches, warbage, dust, anything like that. So after stealing this painting, it was like a new level of euphoria in the attic room. And then Brightwiser and Anne Catherine after that, it's like without any sort of like practice or just pure happenstance, they became an unstoppable criminal team and for the next eight years they averaged one art theft every twelve days, which is an unimaginably fast pace and by some estimates, the value by the end of the incredible crime spree, the amount of art that was all over the walls of their attic chamber was more than two billion dollars worth of art.
Speaker 1: So what does mom think about all this? She's obviously been up there is there some sort of evolution in the way his mom thought about what was going on with Stefan and his girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Yes, at first I think the mom believes her son's lies, that these are just flea market finds, then gets a little bit suspicious, and then after a certain amount of time, realizes what's going on as much as she wishes that, you know, this wasn't the case. And then she's in a real bind. This is her only child, She's now complicit. There's a pile of stolen goods. What's going to happen if the police come in? So I believe that the mother until the very end was torn between basically having her throwing her son in prison for who knows how long could be extremely long time, and protecting him. And I feel sort of as a parent myself to three kids, I feel very much the agony or the anxiousness that this poor mother had to go through, like deciding like you want to tell your son quit, you got to stop this, you got to return this, you know. I feel like the only people that really knew Brightwiser while he was thieving was his girlfriend, his mother, and his mother's parents, his maternal grandparents, and all of them sort of knew what he was doing. And bizarrely, there was no parental figure here. Bizarrely, nobody really pulled him aside and said, hey, this is not the way an adult acts. You are not allowed to do this. They were all sort of overwhelmed with this guy's esthetic sensibility or his just pure bratishness. But there was this weird enabling that was going on.
Speaker 1: What are we talking about in the nineties in France, what would the penalty have been? Do you have any idea? I mean how long? How many years?
Speaker 2: This would have been Until very recently, and some of some international laws have changed because of Stefan Breitweiser. Until very recently, the method you used for stealing was more important than what you stole. For example, I mentioned that Breitweiser stole during the day without violence. He got into museums the same way we do, by buying a ticket. He paid for his and cash didn't want his credit card down. He would literally take paintings off the wall, remove the frame, leave the empty frame, as his calling card, walk out with it under his back, very carefully, very controlled. You know. Sometimes the police would literally be running in while he was walking out, and he always had this very air of casual and he would be holding hands with his girlfriend. He didn't seem suspicious. And to steal things from display cases rather than being like a master lock picker, he's simply His only tool that he used was a Swiss army knife, and he would if you're following me here, he would take the sharpest blade of his Swiss army knife. And if you picture a display case in the museum, usually like a big plexiglass cube, and have his little sliding door that's well locked to get things in and out. But he would just go to where there was a seam between two panels, and these are usually glued with silicon glue, and he would go to a corner of this box and he would just use this knife to slice the silicon glue vertically horizontally and on the third dimension and peel the panels apart. If you're following me, just sort of separate the panels by cutting the seal, peel them apart, slide his hand through, take what he wanted and then push the panels back together, and that's the way they want to be forced back together. And he would sometimes then move around the other things in the display box because he wanted it to seem untouched. He knows from working as a security guard. The security guard just sort of scan the rooms and if there's not an obvious blank spot, they're not counting, Oh there's eleven objects in there, there's only ten. Now they're just looking no big blank spot, no black spot on the wall, and onto the next room and he would just push the box back together. It would just remain that way. The lock has never been touched. And he has the say, a beautiful ivory carving at the smallestpacony walks out.
Speaker 1: So there is no your singular painting that you're looking, you know, on the wall, and all of a sudden, there's nothing in the frame that you would notice. He's doing it strategically where there are other things in the case, and you would have to know the inventory to know something's missing. And did they not have curators walking around at the same time.
Speaker 2: Now, Sometimes when he stole a very prestigious item or a painting from like literally he stole some from like the entrance rooms to museum, like the most spectacular painting in a museum. Once or twice this was noticed within minutes, off in seconds. But sometimes he calculated it'd only take them, for example, twenty seconds to walk out a door. And he was very wise about spotting every security camera and sort of had this innate knowledge about where the lens would record him, and he was able to skirt this I'm talking for years, just walk out carefully. Other times this is even more absurd and yet also true. Bytherwiseer, I had this thought that whatever an art thief would never do is something that he should consider doing. For example, he would take a painting off a wall, or an item that he could hide at the small of his back or sometimes in an Catherine his girlfriend's purse, and when the police would be coming within seconds and maybe the museum locked down. More than once, stefan And and Katherine went to the museum cafe with the stolen object on them and casually got themselves some lunch. Now that seems like the most absurd thing to do after an art crime, but just think about this. The police are running in the last people they are going to suspect have a stolen object of the ones casually eating lunch in the cafe, they're going to run right by them. And it was sort of this ability to subvert expectations, this sort of san foi cold bloodedness, this way to appear calm at all times, to make these lightning fast strikes where people sometimes he stole walk literally where guards or other tourists were in the room. He could take it. He could put it under his jacket and walk out so casually that nobody noticed for enough time for him to either go to the museum cafe, walk out the door and onto the streets. Anyway, because he did this non violently. If you steal a chocolate bar with a gun, in the eyes of the law, until very very recently, that seemed like a worse thing to do than stealing the mona Lisa without using violence. It was it wasn't the value, and you could sort of see that it wasn't the value of the thing you stole. It was the methodology. And so and again they've now started doing these sort of like cultural Treasure's laws. But this was like back in the you know, in the late nineties and early two thousands, so bright Wiser even after he's eventually caught, does not get punished in any remotely any sort of punitive fashion that you would think would be just just like four years in prison. And he gets out, and what's the first thing he does when he gets out? He immediately starts stealing art again.
Speaker 1: Now I want to know what this psychological evaluation was, what it revealed that he allowed you to look at. Is there a diagnosis that sounds to me like, because I write a lot in the eighteen hundreds, it sounds like monomania is what they would call it. The obsession is that sort of what people are saying was going on with him.
Speaker 2: So I got to see a couple of full reports and at least excerpts from five different psychologists, and psychologists struggled to say what is exactly wrong with him? I mean, it might be easy to shout kleptomaniac, and he didn't at all fit the de finistion of kleptomania, which is someone who really likes to steal, doesn't really care about what they steal. And the hallmark of kleptomania is after you've stolen something, it's always followed by a letdown, steeped in like shame and regret. You're sort of ashamed about your obsession. Well, Brightwahers is completely the opposite. He cared very much about what he stole, He never felt any guilt about it, and he exalted and celebrated his crimes rather than felt guilty. So there was no great diagnosis except for this sort of theory by a couple of psychologists that temptation, something about Brightwisher's inability to control this temptation like maybe a drug addict who knows that they shouldn't be doing more but can't stop it, like an addiction, And it was sort of that level. If you know any collectors, there is that sort of sense of addiction. And this is not just a collector, but a collector who has extraordinarily competent skills of beaving things from museums. So you know, he told me because of people like the Isabella Stuart Gardner thieves, that he did not like to be called an art thief, though he never denied a single one of his crimes. Who went over all two hundred of his crimes piece by piece, and I double checked it with police reports and reconfirmed every time that there was a disagreement between the police report and his report, and we would sort of sort of fill in the blanks. But he never felt guilty, never felt like he had enough that he always sensed this, like any true collector, that he must have more. He didn't want to be called an art thief. He really liked to be called an art collector, perhaps with an unorthodox acquisition style, but really he felt himself like a collector.
Speaker 1: Well, paint the scene for me. We've got this attic that's full of about three hundred you said, different pieces right over this eight year period. What I am curious about is how two people come together. You know, you have one who has this obsession. Does on Catherine take it on or is there part of her personality that could have predicted that she would be an accomplice or even an instigator to all of this. It just seems unlikely to have two people with this level of obsession over artwork.
Speaker 2: I think you completely correct. It's not just unlikely, it's perhaps historically unprecedented. Poor On Katherine, she falls in love with a thief, she liked these pieces of art. She wasn't She didn't have this crazy obsession like her boyfriend did. But I also think that there was this sort of frision of oh, you know, there's the thrill of the crime, the Bonnie and Clyde. But after a while, after a couple of crimes, after a dozen crimes, and Katherine already was like, what's the end game here? Like, what do you do? The police are not going to like stop looking for you after a couple of weeks, because you have, you know, you have so much stuff. So like she started getting logically increasingly panicked, like what do we do here? What did I get myself into? And even if she left right wiser behind, suddenly she's still an accomplice. So it all dawns on her that what may have started out as a sort of crazily daring Bonnie and Clyde ish Chahn becomes all too real where I'm Katherine. She at first is like, hey, man, let's cool this down, let's not steal so much, let's wear gloves. He didn't even wear gloves. And the problem is, at the same time that a Katherine with every theft and Catherine keeps getting more and more and more nervous thinking they're about to get caught, the exact opposite is happening with Stephan Brightways or her boyfriend. He's getting more and more confident. It's like, oh my god, this is so easy. I can steal bigger pieces, more often from more heavily protected museums, and so you know there's inevitably going to be a fissure in the relationship.
Speaker 1: Well what ends up happening. So she is growing more nervous, he is becoming more emboldened. The mother is trying to avoid it. Sounds like all of this and pretending like it's not happening, And any moment the police in France could come knocking on the door and say, we've followed you, somebody spotted you, we can identify you. What is the breaking point for all of this? Is it one particular piece of art or is it Katherine probably just having a big breakdown over it.
Speaker 2: So obviously the pressure is building. Breitwiser keeps coming home with more art, and Katherine eventually is like, you know what, I really don't want to be a part of this anymore. But she wants to leave him, but she's also in love with him, so everything is you know. The mother, of course, can only bury her head in the sand for so long, so you can really, I can imagine this sort of everything coming to a boil. Finally, and Catherine makes like these rules to contain her boyfriend. And one of the rules and Katherine worked a part time as a nurse's assistant in a hospital, and she brings home these surgical gloves and she's like, that's it. You have to start wearing surgical gloves from now on. He just like leaving fingers at prints everywhere. She's just like, she knows she can't stop her boyfriend. She knows she's like kind of attached to him by the binds of criminal bonds and also this ridiculously unhealthy but undeniable love affair. So she says, you must wear gloves. I'm not going to join you. I'm not even going to service. Lookout, Please don't steal anymore. But she knows that he can't help herself. He comes home with this amazing bugle, old plated owned by Wagner the composer, like this historical amazing bugle, and he starts telling his girlfriend, who comes home from her job at the hospital, this stylish crime where he had to climb on a radiator and hook unhook these knots tying the bugle to the ceiling and sort of leap down and couch a very stylis acrobatic athletic theft by Breitweiser, who's a skinny, short, sort of whippity guy that both used his mind and his sort of gymnastic like physique to steal things in incredibly ways that I tried to document a couple dozen of them in the book. Well, the only question An Catherrine has he doesn't really care about the stylist, that they've already stolen two other bugles before. I mean, I don't need anything else. The room is full, they're living in, you know, the most amazing thing anymore, and it's like, you know, tipping over into Junkyard rather than in the room of the louver. She says just one question to him, did you wear those gloves? And she could tell immediately by the look on his face. He's like, oh, honey, honey, I'm so sorry. I needed apps dexterity, and she is infuriated, and it's sort of like this little breaking point where she's like, the one fing thing I asked you to do he didn't do, and she's getting furious and bright Weiser's like, I'll make it good. I'll make it good. I'll drive back to the museum and erase my prince. She's like, let's go together and erase the prince. So they drive back to the museum from which he had just stolen a beautiful bugle. The one time in Breitweiser's life, literally that he had no intention of stealing, just wanted to cover up the tracks of his crime. The one time he's going back to the seat of a crime, the person who's working the front desk notices that this is the same guy in the jacket that just stole the freaking bugil is back, and it is this moment this chin to appease his It's just girlfriend's fault, you know, trying to appease his girlfriend, going back to the scene of a crime that causes his arrest. But most fascinatingly, when the police arrests Breitweiser, they did not know that he was with his girlfriend and three and he's not arrested. She gets away, and so there's this moment where Breitweiser is cuffed hands behind his back and he realizes that the police don't know about I'm Catherine, and he looks up at her and she looks up at him. They're both like, have this crazy panic look on his face. And that's the last time he sees his girlfriend for years.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So Bridbrush gets arrested. He is completely making contact with his girlfriend or his mother. His greatest fear, of course, is that the police are going to come into his house and go up into the attic, and so like he's trying to make up these stories. It's the only thing I ever stole. He admits to stealing the bugle. He's like, I'll bring it back to you unharmed. And he's like writing these letters to his mother and his girlfriend, like please bring that bugle back. You know it's in the basement. Wink wink. You know he doesn't want him to say that it's in the attic. He doesn't hear any response. He's being held by the police in Switzerland where he stole the bugle, under restrictive custody. He's increasingly panicked. He he knows that, you know, the world is about to end. It takes the Swiss police about three weeks. That's a long time to be in jail without having any information to get an international search warrant. Two Swiss police officers join up with two French police officers. They go to the mother's house in the suburbs of Mulus, knock on the door. They have a search warrant, so the mother has no option but to let the officers in. They walk up this narrow stairway. There's a doorway to the attic, and they open the doorway to the attic and inside is nothing. A four poster bed and blank walls, not so much as a picture hook. They look like they've been freshly painted, and everything is gone.
Speaker 1: So the police go in and there's three weeks to cover all of this up. Is there now a collusion or what's happening? Who is implicated in all of this at this point?
Speaker 2: So yeah, so Bredwiser's you know, he's arrested, he's held in jail. What design Catherine do? She gets into their car that they had just driven to the museum to try and erase the fingerprints. So what does Don Cathrine do? She presumably drives back to the mother's house and says to the mother, Uh, you know, all that stuff in the room, every bit of it is stolen. Now while breit Weiser's in jail. The whole story that you've read up to the changes in which the girlfriend who is sort of this first willing and then unwilling and then sort of a victim of like you can almost call it emotional abuse from her boyfriend, and then the mother, who is seemingly like sort of trapped. The two women eventually take matters into their own hands and become almost the like the second half of the book's real criminals. While Breitwiser's locked up, these two come up with their own scheme, and that's why the attic is empty, and like, what happens to three hundred works of art worth two billion dollars? Where did they all go? And that's sort of that's sort of where the story speeds to.
Speaker 1: But what is the manipulation that we're talking about? What is Stefon trying to do in Switzerland to influence any of this from happening? You mentioned emotional abuse, which seems like a huge jump from this sort of charming thief. We're going to have sex in front of some Renaissance paintings to somebody who obviously is trying to save his own skin. What was that transition like for on Catherine and for the mother, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I know that on Cathrine wanted there to be like some sort of ending to the crime spree, and I suppose the mother did too, and whether that's the one they planned, that's the one they got now that Brightwater was in prison. So bright what he was doing on his end was begging one of his either his girlfriend or his mother, to just bring this stolen piece back, show the Swiss authorities that this is he made a mistake. He stole this bugle, but here it is in perfect condition. I've returned it, you know, give me a month or two in jail. Don't go searching through my house. You know I've returned, but I've stolen. You know, you have no other proof. That was his sort of desperate hope, and I think the hope of the two women was like, oh my goodness, we're all about to be imprisoned because of what my boyfriend slash or my son did. So there's a little bit of panic, I believe going on in the house. And rather the smartest thing in the world would be to let the police come give them all the works of art back so they could be returned to museums. They're all were kept in beautiful shape with a few minor exceptions, neither of the women would have gotten into severe trouble if they had just returned everything that they did the exact opposite of that.
Speaker 1: And what do you think that was? I mean, what led to that change? Where he was the one driving all of the emotion behind this. Why do you think that they went against him and made this sort of independent decision which we can all guess what was kind of what road we're going down here? Why did they not think that his plan was the better plan than what they decided.
Speaker 2: I don't think Brightweiser had a plan at all for getting caught. I think that he thought he was invincible. You know, at first the police figured, oh my goodness, you know, they obviously had this else safe plan in place. Breit Wiser knows the art thief that's in prison, he knows where all this art went. Had this you know, Oh, if I get caught, you hide it here and we'll get it later and we'll do this. That's what they thought. But in truth, bright Weiser had no idea what happened. He was as shocked as anyone. This is also again proven to be true when he finds out that the attic is empty. He doesn't know where his sixty nine paintings are, his one hundred pieces of silver as either, he has no idea. I think the women were tired of this rat in their lives, and I think there was a measure of relief when Breitwiser got arrested. I know for a fact that an Katherine wanted she needed to figure out how to wait to get out of this, and did that the trial and Katherine manages to make an amazing escape. She says that she really never helped out with the crimes. She didn't even know that he was stealing. She know there are videos here, there's video evidence that showing the exact opposite. There's home videos of her lounging in the four poster in the room saying, you know, this is my kingdom filled with stolen art. There's like videos of them. But yet none of these videos were shown during the trial. Like I said, I worked on this for more than a decade. Took it took years to unearth these these home videos, they weren't shown at the trial. And Catherine portrays herself as someone who, oh, I didn't even know he was stealing. He was just bringing home these works of art and bride. Weiser, to his credit, wanting to like still in love with his girlfriend, says oh yeah, yeah, she didn't know it was all me and sort of protects her. She gets off and he is the one who's in prison. So it's sort of this very weird sort of switching of positions.
Speaker 1: So we don't want to ruin exactly what on Catherine and Stefan's mother do, but it sounds like eventually this all comes to a head. They get caught and he goes on trial, and you said that he essentially covers up for her and she gets to vanish into the night.
Speaker 2: Exactly that brid Wes is the one who goes to jail. The mother actually served a minor a jail sentence. I'm Katherine one night in jail. But again I'll fill in some more details because it'll help sort of enlighten so bright Weiss. By the time he comes to trial in France, first he's tried in Switzerland, spends a year in jail waiting for his French trial to start. This is the trial in which so bright Wester has tried by himself in Switzerland. Then he's tried with his mother and his girlfriend in France and he's defending his girlfriend the entire time. She didn't know she was using the bathroom when I stole that, or even once in a while she told me not to do it, and I ignored her. And she's going along with all of Breitweiser's testimonies to the police. It's all me, it's all me, but I believe that. I mean. The proof that she was thrilled to be out of this relationship is when he finally is released, not released. He's transported in a prison van. He's released from Switzerland, but he's immediately brought put in jail in France awaiting his trial, where he's going to serve the rest of his Swiss term plus his French term. After defending his girlfriend, I'm Katherine walks in and she's got a baby with somebody else. She starts a family, which she'd always wanted to do, and breit Weiser sees this and had no idea and tries to take back at his own trial at the last minute, like no, all this testimony and then is completely like caught, the truth suddenly makes no difference in its all emotion to the fore. Eventually he sort of acquiesces, and Catherine gets off. The mother serves the light sentence, he serves a longer sentence, and is finally released, a penniless to move back in with his mother.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, she took him back. Huh.
Speaker 2: The poor mother doesn't even know what to do. And as I, as I hinted earlier, realizes that first of all, somebody with a criminal record that has no job experience isn't about to find a decent paying job. In fact, like he finds like the worst jobs and manner imaginable, like cleaning restaurant toilets on a Sunday. Like he's completely depressed, and he realizes almost being free was in some ways worse than being in prison. When he was in prison, he had no choice. It was just ugliness all around him. Now he's free and he does these blank wall without any works of art on it and no money, no means to get it, and he's like, all he wants to do is look at something beautiful. And he sort of has this mental tug of war between realizing that he just got out of jail and that he's only good at one thing, and only one thing makes him really happy. You know, women, friends, nobody can be trusted. Everybody will stab you in the back of the end, but painting, a beautiful painting will never, never, never let you down. And he goes and steals something else in the whole cycle, gains again, and it's like he's not doing it for money, but just for this aesthetic fulfillment, which makes some sense, no sense. But anybody who has been carried away by something beautiful again, whether sunset over the rocky mountains, a lover or a Picasso sort of understands this irrational connection that you can have with something beautiful.
Speaker 1: Where does it end for him? Though? So he does this after serving this time, and he comes out and he steals something, I mean, does he end up back in jail? Like, what's the end of your story?
Speaker 2: Like? So, as I mentioned at the outset, this is a modern story. This is not historical fiction. The last time I saw Breitweiser was at his trial in March of twenty twenty three. The book continues up to literally to twenty twenty three, and again the first half is this incredibly risky, ridiculously daring rise and then the wing, the wax wings melt. In the second half is this incredibly distressing, horrific crash, and so Breitwiser's right now as we're speaking, under control of the French penal system, and also at the same time he's on like a house arrest at this point. He kind of got lucky by the during the COVID pandemic, when non violent criminals were released from prisons, not just in France but also in the United States and elsewhere. Has been able to just avoid being imprisoned, and said has like an ankle monitor. I wouldn't be surprised if right now as we're speaking, he has unscrewed his ankle monitor and is in a museum now sizing up of art.
Speaker 1: How are we meant to think about him at the end of this I mean, I know that there are mixed feelings probably about on Catherine and the mother, But as a complicated character, what were you left with after you were done talking to him about this book? You probably know him better than most.
Speaker 2: What I hope other readers take away from this and what I took away with this Breitweiser, who if he wasn't a thief, he could have been the most amazing art professor of all time. I loved talking about art with him. I loved walking around a museum with him. I've never experienced someone. And even all his five therapists, despite really denigrating him, calling him like a cancer on society and incorrigible thief, all of them, all five of them agreed along with the police officers, that he truly was obsessed with these works of art. He did not try to monetize it. He truly was an esthete of like the most sensitive form, walking through museums and discussing art and showing me what he saw. When he encountered a work of art changed the way that I encounter works of art. I no longer walk through a museum the same way. Like this whole intellectualizing that people tend to do, I'm guilty at charged. Where you what do you see in this painting where if you're on a tour guard like, notice this balance of form and this, you know, point to lism and this, look at this thematic you know, look at all the symbolism in here, all that is not as important but should be shoved aside. And really everybody who made it a work, who makes works of art from now and back through time, they weren't trying to impress you intellectually. They were trying to impress you, fulfill you, change you, tweak you emotionally. And I hope that people who read this book you know you can, you can be, you can. You can shake your head at the ridiculousness of Breitweiser, but you really should listen to what he says about looking at art, and next time you go through museum, take some of his advice. Don't steal the painting for goodness sake, but encounter this in a much richer way. I really that is the thing that I will that I am most grateful about spending all this time in this project. It wasn't spending that time in Breitweiser's ridiculous world. But I really, as a wooz it sounds more tuned to the beauty in the world. And I really feel more emotionally raw when it comes to walking through a museum, and I love that. So that's really the kind of gift hidden between the pages of a really ridiculous true crime stories. It hopefully will change your esthetic sensibilities. I believe it will. I know it did for me.
Speaker 1: If you love historical true crime stories, check out the audio versions of my books The Ghost Club, All That Is Wicked and American Sherlock. This has been an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Alexis M. Morosi. Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed by John Bradley. Curtis Heath is our composed artwork by Nick Toga. Executive produced by Georgia Hardstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer. Follow Wicked Words on Instagram and Facebook at tenfold more Wicked and on Twitter at tenfold more. And if you know of a historical crime that could use some attention from the crew at tenfold more Wicked, email us at info at tenfoldmorewicked dot com. We'll also take your suggestions for true crime authors for Wicked Words