Speaker 1: But I invited you here. I thought I made myself perfectly clear. When you're a guest to my home, you gotta come to me empty. And I said, no guests, you're presences presents enough. I already had too much stuff, So how did you dare to surbey me?
Speaker 2: Welcome to I said, no gifts and Bridgard Wineger, we're in the backyard. There was some minor police activity about an hour ago. I don't know what was happening, but I think that's been cleared up. My voice is back to probably ninety eight percent. Probably can't still can't hit the high notes that I'm famous for, but I think we'll make it through the whole episode without me sounding weak, at least physically or vocally. Emotionally mentally, those things just continue to seem who knows that'll be spotty. I mean, what's dominating my thoughts is I have a buy one getting one free salad coupon on my counter, and I just can't stop thinking about how I'm going to use that as wisely as possible to get two salads, and when I'll eat the second salad. Is there any other crucial business we need to talk about? There isn't I adore. I love today's guest. I'm so excited he's here. It's Drew DROGI, Drew Hybridser, Welcome to I said, no gift.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. I'm so happy you're here. I'm so happy to be here. What happened to your voice?
Speaker 2: Like I I was in New York, alast.
Speaker 3: To get it loud City.
Speaker 2: I was screaming the entire time. Sure, you have to you get on the plane the way.
Speaker 3: You gotta, you gotta, you gotta tell people exactly what you want.
Speaker 2: You've got to be open and honest. That's right, brutal. Yes, yeah, I sit down on the plane on the way to New York, and I immediately it's screaming, scream until I get back to lax Great and then I'm back into my you know, relaxed surfer.
Speaker 3: Five, sweet easy Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. Yeah, I had a I got a cold while there, and uh, it just decimated my voice. Because you were going to record earlier this week, I know, and it felt it feels like such a flimsy excuse to be like he doesn't have his voice.
Speaker 3: It's an audio podcast, like it kind of like a made up thing. No but I no, no, no, but no. It happens all the time. I lose my voice a lot. I'm horrible about, Like I have to go back and actually do like training that I quote unquote learned in college about how to take care of my instrument, and I don't. I'm horrible about it. I will blow it out so easily, and I don't always. I'm always nervous about doing it, like what I'm doing stage shows and stuff. But it usually happens at the bar after the show because you're talking for hours and you're not realizing how much you're straining just to just to make noise forever. And so that's usually where it happens.
Speaker 2: You actually lose and then what are you doing to repair it? To recover?
Speaker 3: There's a very little you can do other than rest and drink lots of water. I sometimes the saltwater helps. Gargling pineapple helps. Pineapple, yeah, pineapples very it's uh, it's a it's an anti inflammatory. Oh and you know what really helps. Actually, there's a lot of tricks that help with it. Ibuprofen. Take three. I be profn at night and three in the morning. And it because you're anti inflammatory because your voice is actually just blown out. That's what. And then and another thing, if you really need I learned this as just a fast trick is lays potato chips or fried chicken, because those things have so much grease in them that they will bond your vocal cords together to make noise.
Speaker 2: This is a dream to hear.
Speaker 3: I mean I learned this when I was, you know, doing a musical in the New York City and they told us, they were like, if you really need to make noise, it's specifically lays playing potato chips because they've got so much grease. They're just so oily. It's so oily, that's why. And or fried chicken.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is fascinating, Like real.
Speaker 3: Fried chicken, not like some like no no, no, no, like oven bake, none of that shit. You need like real, dripping, greasy fried chicken.
Speaker 2: I love greasy, dripping right.
Speaker 3: It's a great excuse to just run out in the middle shows be like I have to eat the nastiest fried chicken.
Speaker 2: I get fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly what musical were you doing in the time Titanique? Have you seen it?
Speaker 2: Wait? I saw you. I was there. When was this this was actually very uncomfortable for me because I was afraid I was going to make eye contact with you on stage. Oh god.
Speaker 3: I first of all, I can't see anything when I'm up there. I'm blind as.
Speaker 2: A bad I know, you forget that as an audience. Yeah, but at the time, I was like, if I will have to leave the theater. This must have been last year.
Speaker 3: It was last year we did it. Yeah, I mean it's still running, but I was in it last year. It's a blast. It's a parody of Titanic with all the music of Celine Dion. It's become this thing. I know. I was just thinking about Marlon Connie and Tye and Nicholas who wrote it. Now it's like the productions of it in Australia, all your Kid, London and Canada and oh yeah, all over the world the productions of Titanique that are happening, And I'm like, how cool.
Speaker 2: That's wild. When did it open it that's a great question.
Speaker 3: I should know that they've been doing it. They've been working on it off and on and workshopping it for many years. Okay, it opened at the Theater at the Old like underneath Christides or the RC right, right, So that's where it opened, okay, and then they moved it to the Daryl Roth. Yes, I'm going to say like November of twenty two it moved to Daryl Roth and it's been running there since then.
Speaker 2: Wow, for to already have international franchises, Yes, that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I think it opened, you know twenty one. It must have been obviously post pend.
Speaker 2: Right, yes, yes, yeah, that makes sense. Yeah, I saw you in it. That's such a strange. I could completely forgot obviously your performance was just completely forgettable. I was fairly in it, Vanish I just.
Speaker 3: Play an eyelash and forget about me.
Speaker 2: How long were you in it?
Speaker 3: For? Five months? Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's like right near Union Square there, yep, yes, yeah, house straight.
Speaker 3: It was such a dream because I've never I love musicals, like I'm not a singer, right, so, and so it was like this dream to do a musical in New York City and to do the eight shows a week thing that I had never really done because even when I did my solo show there, the most average was seven shows a week. I never did eight, right, And I was like, I need that New York theater, like it's hell.
Speaker 2: It's horrible, a nightmare.
Speaker 3: It's a nightmare. You're never not tired. Your day off is your most exhausted day. Of course, your body lets yourself actually be tired. But I'm so glad I had the experience because as someone who never thought that would happen to be in a musical, and it was like, that's very cool.
Speaker 2: To not have the number one thing you need for a musical.
Speaker 3: Right, And this character was the one part that didn't sing right right and that you don't remember, and.
Speaker 2: That I completely The rest of the show was fire.
Speaker 3: I mean, can we start, Let's go down the line and talk about how great everybody else was and memorable they were.
Speaker 2: No, you were spectacular. The whole show was so delightful. It's just a party.
Speaker 3: It's about it's a party. It's a big party. It's so much fun. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The eight shows a week thing coming from living in LA and working in this site of entertainment where you write three hours every nine months.
Speaker 3: Right exactly. Or even when you do theater in LA, it's usually four or five shows a week. You do like a weekend, and you rarely do two in one day. In La. You know, it's it's very easy. It's very JV compared to like New York is like whip cracking.
Speaker 2: Do you start to just I feel like you would just lose the feeling of it all a few shows in, Do you just feel robotic?
Speaker 3: I would feel robotic after a while. And I felt that way in my own show too, And I was like, and I remember the first time I felt that way that I'd always heard, Like, you know, an actors, you start thinking about your laundry, and you start you right, and you have those intrusive thoughts, and I was like, well, that'll never be me. I'll always be in the in the truth of the moment every time. But even in my own show, I started to go, oh, blah blah blah, I'm just thinking. And I was watching my body do the same mannerisms and that same and so I went off stage and I said the stagement. I said, oh my god, I'm so sorry. I was so out of it tonight, and he said I had no idea. Wow, So you do. It's like choreography with anything, you have to kind of actually not think about it because the worst thing to do is to be up there and go I'm not present. I need to get in my body, and then that makes you even more in your head and then you're a very aware aware of everything you have. You have to stop thinking and just go out there and do the show right, which is really weird because you go through this long period of like do I know my lines? Am I listening to my partner? Is this the way to deliver this the best way? Like you go through this trial period for like previews, and then you hit you like coast for a bit where you're like, oh, I'm so connected and so fun and then you're like, I am so out the door and I don't even know. But five months was as long as I felt.
Speaker 2: Like I couldn't do it, to be basically working overtime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just the same words over and over again. My my interests of thoughts were coming in and I would be like what if I start screaming? What if I jump up the stage? What if I high fi bridge are in the audience? Like I would just content thou show. You would exactly see time machine, That's what I need to do is go back in time. No, but I would I would have those complete thoughts of just like what if I you.
Speaker 2: Know, oh, which very fun thoughts, which are.
Speaker 3: Fun but also terrifying and also just like get in it, say it it, you know, but you know, well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like a very dull, out of body experience. Yes, fascinating for sure, which I probably, as having no stage skill whatsoever, will never experience.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that.
Speaker 2: Well, believe it here today too.
Speaker 3: You know, I think no. I think it's like, in a way, it kind of protects you, because you know, you're like, when the audience is great, you can feel like I'm amazing, we're killing it, We're doing so great, and then they're bad and you're like, I'm horrible. And then sometimes there's part of you it's like neither you're always there's always kind of like baseline. It is what it is, and so you kind of like through that, you're kind of like, oh, we're just punching the clock and going back, and when you're doing that many shows, you're just like, all right, the next one is in five minutes, so here we go. Put another quarter in the back of my neck and wind me up or whatever.
Speaker 2: How familiar were you with Titanic before? Were you much of a fan of the movie.
Speaker 3: I do like the movie, like the I like the nineteen twelve part of the movie. The wrap around is pretty horrible. I mean, the Bill Paxton incredible is so bad. But I do think the actual Titanic part of it is really great. I saw it. I definitely saw it in the theater. I maybe saw it all the way through one other time before. But I've known them from the beginning, so I did the very first like a reading of Titanique at someone's apartment, like before it was ever done, and then I wasn't able to do it officially until last year. So I've watched I've seen Titanique six or seven times and after I've actually gone back and seen it after I did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I've only seen the movie once in the theaters, right, And it's just I never have any other reason to watch it.
Speaker 3: No, it's three and a half hours long, and why would you just sit down and watch that? Right?
Speaker 2: But people love it, They've worshiped.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it got a lot of you know, people love to bag on it too and hate on it, but it it's better than that. I mean, you know, it's better than a lot of things that have won Best Picture, Right, you know and so, and it's a big blockbuster.
Speaker 2: Period piece, kind of engaging melodro.
Speaker 3: But everyone's really good in it, you know, the kids are great in it, Victor Carver's.
Speaker 2: Fantashure and I do. I mean, the only thing I've seen repeatedly is the dropping the thing into the ocean.
Speaker 3: Right, which is ridiculous. It makes no sense and you want to throttle that woman, like why why are you doing that?
Speaker 2: I Like, when it came to my attention as an adult, I was like, this couldn't possibly have been part of the original because I had obviously forgotten. But it's part of the film, right, right. It's so strange. It's so strange because it seems objectively bad.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's also like what like you're throwing the whole thing away into the just sort of like.
Speaker 2: Eh, and is you're doing that just to maintain the mystery? What is the I don't even know.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, I think it's sort of like I've told my story, that's all you get, and I I don't know. I don't think James Karen thought it through. We have fun and Titanic making fun of that every night, right, But you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you lived in New York much.
Speaker 3: I've never lived in New York. Oh wow, I've only I've spent a lot of time there. But I've lived in Los Angeles proper for twenty five years.
Speaker 2: Where are you from?
Speaker 3: North Carolina?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay, okay, yeah wow, So yeah, I've only I've lived in New York for probably a total of a year and a half at this point. Okay, But I don't know that I'm made for it, So I don't.
Speaker 3: Know that I love working there and that that was the longest I was there doing Touch Sneque. But I've done my show's there. I'm trying to get I love I mean, you know, having a job there is so fun. Oh, doing a play there, a purpose, Being on a TV show there is like you know, or I love to spend like two weeks max going and seeing things and seeing friends and hanging out and spending way too much money and just being an idiot.
Speaker 2: Right, Dasha, blast right.
Speaker 3: I've never lived there where I'm just pounding the pavement trying to have a life there without like some sort of employment for too long, right, I think that would be really tough. And I'm used to this. I'm used to space and ease and ease, you know, I used to ease.
Speaker 2: The other thing I was going to ask you about related to Titanic if we can move on beyond this, but have you seen this Selene Dion documentary?
Speaker 3: Yes? I have.
Speaker 2: How did you feel about that?
Speaker 3: It's it's wonderful. You know, I had no I had no real connection with Selene Dion. If anything, I kind of laughed at her and thought she was kind of an you know, and then even the in the beginning of Titanique, you know, Marlen Mendel's hilarious impression of Celene Dion and then you know, getting to like see Nicole Parker, Jackie Burns do it, and all these people like it's this but Ty Blue, who directed our show, was so smart in making us love her. We was like, you have to love Selene. It's like the entire thing is what would Selene do? And Selene leads with kindness and so she's goofy and ridiculous, but you have to love her. And so I realized through that show. I was like, I know all of these songs. I would not own these songs is my kind of music. Yet you kind of learned to love. So I became a fan of her because of doing the show. It was one of those things of like, I did a Karen Carpenter's parody show, and I love Karen Carpenter. I was like, Karen Carpenter, get out of here, grow up. But but now you're like, oh, I love you know, I'm not afraid to admit I can like, you know, kind of like sentimental grocery store music. And and her voice is on Seline's voice is unbelievable, and so it's Karen Carpenter's obviously, so yeah so and then on top of it, with the all of her health issues that she's had, it just makes you like really see the human being that she is and you love her, and you're like, thank god, I love my starts to be weird.
Speaker 2: Oh of course weird in a good way.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Barbara streisand is not weird enough.
Speaker 2: She could breathe it all.
Speaker 3: I'll say it. I want I want a weirdo.
Speaker 2: Let's find out something. You have all of the resources to be as strange as you possibly want.
Speaker 3: Go for it, Go for it.
Speaker 2: Be a freak.
Speaker 3: Do it.
Speaker 2: Please have something to hie.
Speaker 3: The rest of us, go, oh my god, did you see yes, of course, keep I'm guessing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. I mean I again, I think I do have memory issues because from the documentary, I remember health issues. I remember her son's being strange in a way where they were like drinking milkshakes all the time, oh right, and being gamers, and then she's just kind of trapped at least in the documentary in Las Vegas, right, which.
Speaker 3: That would be my deal. That's my least favorite place on earth.
Speaker 2: I'd love to hear it.
Speaker 3: I hate Las Vegas. Do you like Las Vegas?
Speaker 2: I do not, and it's awful. I have to say, you know, there are a lot I'm sure there are a lot of wonderful people who love it and live there. For me, I now cannot go back.
Speaker 3: I have been to Old Vegas and I liked that. Like the Old Vegas part is very cool and like I can imagine that. But the New Vegas, the Strip, it's literally everything terrible about America forced into this horrible, just vein of filth, and it's and it's all always so hot outside and so cold inside. It's loud, they are people everywhere. It's decad it it's barbecue, pork chop, margarita it's awful.
Speaker 2: When was the last time you were there?
Speaker 3: Yesterday? No? No, you know I have not been there in years. I only go there when I have to. My family used to take family trips there, and they used to think it was so fun. We're gonna We're gonna meet in Vegas, and they would fly all the way from the Carolinas and then I would meet them in Vegas and I was like, please, can I go home to North Carolina. I'd actually rather, I mean, I must rather be in North Carolina than than Las Vegas. But I guess I had. I had a job there, maybe ten or more years ago, and I remember getting like a six am flight out of there, just gland at six forty five am in LA I mean, like I would take the earliest flight to get out of there. I was like, nope, no more of this.
Speaker 2: No, it is torture for me to be there. There's nothing, There's zero appeal. You are seeing the absolute base of human behavior, seeing people at their lowest.
Speaker 3: Yes, and just the sadness of people like with the sweaty cocktail and putting another quarter in the slot machine, just being like my mortgage and you're just like this is so dark and awful, and I just I when I win mon I don't like gambling, I go okay, like it doesn't do anything for me to win. I'm that way with games too. I don't need to win games. I'm going to in any setting. I'm going to a game night tonight, and I pissed people off because I don't care. Where's your competitive spirit. I'm like, I had to let that die to do what I do for a living, I had to not be competitive. So I just don't enjoy. So that part of that I don't like. The entertainment is, yeah, it's cats on ice, you know, it's never anything like, I don't know, challenging.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, of course, now the thing is people want to see the sphere.
Speaker 3: That I would like to see that.
Speaker 2: It's like, is it worth going there?
Speaker 3: I'll I'll see it on the helicopter passed or exactly.
Speaker 2: I guess I could make a road trip that simply doesn't stop in Las Vegas. You just drive through, you take a peek, you do that.
Speaker 3: It's like Big Ben Parliament. And just.
Speaker 2: Because none of the bands that they are scheduling there haven't hold any interest for me. I don't need to see you two and write three D or whatever we're talking about.
Speaker 3: No, I mean the bands have to be those kind of bands, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have to be the biggest band. They have to be like a an NFL halftime band, right, which doesn't hold a lot of my attention, unfortunately. What sort of games are you playing at game night?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but these are intelligent, like like very I mean, these are one of the people there is like a producer and big brother oh the game creating the games, and they really like have a sort of you know, and you kind of get there, like I don't know what world I'm walking into.
Speaker 2: Tonight, cheese.
Speaker 3: But there are games like celebrity that I'm usually very good at, right, but I don't care, Like when I'm like I don't.
Speaker 2: That's kind of even worse when someone's good and they don't care, I.
Speaker 3: Know, they hate you. You're like and they're like, come on, you don't even have to put it whatever. But I'm terrible at most games, and I'm terrible at poker. So when I randomly went a hand, like a clock's always you know, right, a broken clock?
Speaker 2: Is it always rites twice a day? That right?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, which you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's sort of gambling in general exact because anyone can I know there's like.
Speaker 3: A strategy to all of it, and I just don't care. My brain doesn't cannot care enough.
Speaker 2: The only one that I can like tolerate as far as card games is black check because it's simple, it's over pretty.
Speaker 3: Quickly, right, and I've got to get to twenty one. Yes, it's when you get sixteen and you're like, I don't really know what should I do?
Speaker 2: And ultimately who cares?
Speaker 3: Who cares?
Speaker 2: So we can just get through this? Yeah, but yeah, I'm not a I mean, there's just Las Vegas. They're gonna have to think of something new if they're going to draw me in.
Speaker 3: Thank you. I go there for a paycheck or maybe a hug from mom.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's something else I hate that I'd like to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: I was looking forward to having you here today, absolutely thrilled to have Drew here. I thought we'll have a wonderful conversation. Drew will go home ha. So you know the podcast is called I said no gifts and so, and I know there have been emails and I'm sure hundreds of phone calls, and the title has been repeated over and over too. Yeah, so it was a little I'm just going to say disappointed today.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you showed up holding what could not more clearly be a gift for me.
Speaker 3: I really wanted to give it to you. I am sorry. I know, I just but you know what that thing where people say no gifts they really want, that's what they really mean.
Speaker 2: I really want them, right, I mean because I don't say for me, but people.
Speaker 3: When I have parties, I don't say no gifts. And then when I don't get a mic, what the fuck I didn't give me a gift?
Speaker 2: Do I have any real friends?
Speaker 3: I'm like, no gifts please. That's like someone saying bring bring me right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know that I would ever have an invitation that said no gifts. What place in my life do I have to get to where I'm no begging people not to please don't.
Speaker 3: Bring me anything. I need nothing, I need everything.
Speaker 2: I'll take whatever you can get all of it.
Speaker 3: Please. My place is just full of choch keys and I need them all. But I hope you like this.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah I should. I open it here on the podcast Okay.
Speaker 3: I know we should cancel our Amazon Prime subscriptions, but get this on Amazon.
Speaker 2: How do we get out of this Amazon truck we have?
Speaker 3: There has to be a new, a new way.
Speaker 2: Slightly less worse version of Amazon, right because Amazon kind of for the longest time, Walmart was the place no one goes to Walmart, right, and now Walmart almost seems like a good guy.
Speaker 3: Yes, totally.
Speaker 2: So somebody that's just ten percent less horrible than Amazon needs to trot in, I know, and give us an opportunity to switch service.
Speaker 3: So that we can just order things that we can't because I I hope no one's given you this before, but I didn't nowhere else to get it. I hope you don't mind it.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, because I've been given several.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I love it. It's it's an adorable like little like litterate, like a purloined little gun for your for a little for a little coin purse. It shoots one bullet at a time. That's all I need. Yeah, just a few feet across. It makes a cute little noise when you shoot it.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me open this, Okay, let's see here. Take two hands.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh, yeah, so it's supposed to also come gift wrapped. I believe I believe it is, and there's a yeah, sure, keep your gift a surprise. Let's so what does it say here?
Speaker 2: Let's see, I'm not gonna this seems to be just the gift for seats or does that have a message on it? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it tells you what it is. It's a gift for seat and.
Speaker 2: This just says enjoy your gift from Drew DROGI Okay, okay, right, very person obviously spent hours asked.
Speaker 3: Him to say the most personal thing possible.
Speaker 2: But okay, okay, now we're look at that beautiful, gorgeous?
Speaker 3: How fun is that? See? Now you're happy? Now I'm finally Now is there a gift? Is there a note inside that?
Speaker 2: Okay, now there's a there's the same message, but now half printed. It says essentially, joy your gift.
Speaker 3: Joy your gift from Drew from so see. Okay, so I'm so glad that happened. Joy your gift. When I was okay, so I spent before I moved to l A, I spent a summer in Kentucky outdoor summer stock Wow, and I need to get my entire theater resume I need. Yeah, so storied and rich and textured. No, I was doing and so after the shows we were doing Outroorth Theater. It was so crazy. We had to stand in the joyed at mine, go stand at the joy at mine? What's so that you would stand in line and people would won't go by and they would go joined it, joyed it, joined it. And when people would push past you, they would go, jout.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Watch out? Watch out? Wow shout. And I'm from North Carolina, but I did not understand Kentucky. Like that was a new language for me. That's it was the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was a very different joyed it, joyed it? What was it? I'm really glad that joy your gifts.
Speaker 2: Really come full circle? Yeah, your theater career.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's just inside. It's just it's just a list of all the shows I've done Arizona. You can order on Amazon. It's very expensive and it's just a list of all of all of my credit.
Speaker 2: That's your new Amazon storefront. Air dropping them into people's homes. Okay, let's open these bags that they put them in are the toughest material on ours. This could be used in the military. Yeah, okay, no, let's see here. I don't need your help.
Speaker 3: Oh I love it.
Speaker 2: I like how strong I sai.
Speaker 3: No, yes, not vocally weak at all anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're pulling it out here. Okay, it's oh and then it's almost I don't need your help.
Speaker 3: Okay again, I.
Speaker 2: Did not expect more.
Speaker 3: My god, it's a Russian doll. Keep going, that looks okay. I wishers video like who wraps that? Like someone in a factor was like it's slapping band aids on just like blue tissue paper. It's still happening more.
Speaker 2: Band aids than necessary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really seems angrily wrapping. I mean it's done with their day. Francis Random Dorman, Oh my god, we literally the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that movie I had a lot of complicated feelings about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same, but I also maybe haven't related to a lead character as much. At the end, I was like, oh am, I hurt. I'm fine with that.
Speaker 2: Was it an Amazon ad?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It felt not against it enough. Felt it felt like it took such a neutral look at Amazon.
Speaker 3: Really liked it because I think it was I was like just happy that like somebody who was like a drifter who was like, I'm a I'm a traveler all that, and it gave a lot of love to that. I didn't feel sorry for her in any way. Yes, which I thought was really great, and I thought she was fantastic in it, and and I really liked the like kind of the documentary feel of it.
Speaker 2: All these are all ems wanted to see one person have to, you know, pee in a bottle or something, just the truth.
Speaker 3: Oh, but you so like the shitting in the bucket didn't count. She shits in a buck yes, I can't memory specifically pee in a bottle, but she does ship in a bus while at work, No, while in her while in her in her van van.
Speaker 2: Okay, I wanted to see her ship in a bucket in the Amazon warehouse. Oh, okay, because I'm sure that's had to happen. Oh, I'm probably the person who wrapped this.
Speaker 3: Well keep ground wrapping. You know, I have no you have no idea what you're going to get? Okay, I wish I Okay, Now it's in this box another boxes.
Speaker 2: Tell you what it is. It's has tech deaths.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it's an ass tech death whistle. And have you ever heard this before. I've only heard this online and it makes the most incredible noise. It's a very upsetting noise that it makes, and it's apposed to like ward off enemies, as texts used it. I should have actually done research before I came on this, because I knew what I was giving you, but I dont real thing about it. I don't even know if this is going to work at all, but it makes a really wonderful upsetting noise and it words off evil spirits.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I'm going to carry this in my bag.
Speaker 3: Yes, as you should. It's better than a gun. So now I think you just blow into the top of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, we'll get a little further away for now. Like here on elys is directing the death with oh my god. Okay, that's what we played throughout the episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, anything, just like you need it, Like I just feel like, I'm so want to scream right now in the world. It's I get I give you that. It's like a it's like a one are those things you just you.
Speaker 2: Like a stress ball, It's like a screaming into a towel.
Speaker 3: Scream into a towel. Does screaming for you? You just have to blow into it and it just it it.
Speaker 2: I was recently thinking should I start a TikTok where every video is just me screaming into a different substance or towel or whatever. Here's a thousand eat a thousand count sheets or whatever, because that's the feeling all the time, right, just scream how it feels to scream into this. Let me but now we should probably alert the listener every time I'm about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, trigger warning. It's it's really deeply.
Speaker 2: You feel like I'm hitting it the note correctly.
Speaker 3: Let me see, I will not. Okay, I think that's all you can do, right.
Speaker 2: I just want to make sure I'm getting the perfect note out of this death whistle because I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure saying, see if you can hum into and see that changes it?
Speaker 1: Hmmm?
Speaker 3: Are you.
Speaker 2: Perfect? See it either does or.
Speaker 3: Choices.
Speaker 2: That's the tech life whistle. I just want to keep blowing this, and I know this has got to be excruciating for a listener.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that. Punish them for making the choice to listen to this, Like, oh my god, what am I.
Speaker 2: Doing with my life? Yeah, I've got to get it together.
Speaker 3: Hurt them. Wow, So no one's giving you this before.
Speaker 2: This has never been on the pot. Okay, good, okay good, But probably every gift from now on will be a death.
Speaker 3: So I hope this just sets off a whole like death whistle chain, because I know you've done this show for a while and I was like, I didn't you know. I wanted to make sure this is unbelievable. I'm so happy.
Speaker 2: It really is a stress reliever. Yeah, I'm like, I've released so much already. How did you learn about this?
Speaker 3: I saw it online. I saw something and the noise made me laugh because it was just like this thing and people would just say it was like this, really, it's this primal, upsetting noise that you would hear it, and yes, exactly, dear right, just like bread just sort of it words off evil spirits and do you.
Speaker 2: Have one of your own?
Speaker 3: No, But now I need to you're so jealous. I know, I know I'm going to find a way to steal that.
Speaker 2: The only thing that's missing as my death was, and they.
Speaker 3: We're gonna see it. I'm gonna be doing a recording of something else you're gonna see at the background like that mother fuck.
Speaker 2: That's like a nine part docu series.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly. I mean I think it's a good I think it's a good thing to have.
Speaker 2: I hope it's a good I think this is a good thing to have.
Speaker 3: I not like a like the have you seen Trilogy of Terror? Have you seen that movie?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: What's this?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? Okay, so it was. It was a TV movie that came out in the seventies with Karen Black, who was like huge star years ago. She's Oscar. I mean, she was amazing at her She did a TV movie. It was. It was three short films. She plays four characters in the movie because there's one for she plays twins. Okay, no one remembers the first two movies, the first two shorts. The third short is a legendary and truly terrifying piece about a woman who gets a zooni fetish doll, that's what they call it. I'm sure very problematic, this white woman getting this African doll that has that's literally a problem that she pulls it out of her I think she could to get it from her mother. She's on a phone call, she's in the bathtub, and they're like, whatever you do, don't let the doll's belt fall off. Because then all hell breaks.
Speaker 2: Loose its successories exactly.
Speaker 3: Don't make it nude. And so she's in the bathtub. All of a sudden, doll just standing there and the belt just falls off. Next thing you know, that doll is chasing her around her apartment. She's throwing it in the oven. She is screaming. It's from the doll's point of view. It's growling, it's stabbing at her. It's absolutely it's so it's like a thirty minute long Don't watch the first two films, watch the third and trilogy of Terror. Everyone, I'm telling you, I highly recommend it is.
Speaker 2: The doll done through stop motion, Yes, okay.
Speaker 3: A lot of it is from the point of view of the doll, so you're just seeing like you're just seeing this, like these arms and stabbing at her and she's on the ground screaming. But it's really upsetting.
Speaker 2: This feels so up your house.
Speaker 3: Oh I love it, but I love Child's Play all so like the original Child's Play, it is genuinely scary.
Speaker 2: I've never seen.
Speaker 3: Oh it's great, it's great. You don't think that, like, oh little dolls. Can I be scary? Nothing wrong?
Speaker 2: Can we get a visual on Trilogy of Terror, on this doll in particular, I really just want to visualize what's happening. I do feel like seventies and maybe early eighties is shocked already.
Speaker 3: It's shocking. This is probably shocking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh, I feel like seventies and oh let's see here.
Speaker 3: Oh oh yeah it is, yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's got a massive head.
Speaker 3: Oh and just teeth and just and lips like full lipsticks.
Speaker 2: This is not I mean, this is a problematic creature.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Full Kelly and Conway.
Speaker 2: You know, just where's Kelly.
Speaker 3: She's a she's a warrior dog. She's a fun little doll. Just don't take her belt off. She'll come for you.
Speaker 2: To be stocks around your house by Kelleyhan conflict Hell true, hell true, Hell No. What I was going to say is like, I feel like seventies and eighties TV horror is almost scarier than horror in the movies from those decades.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because it's like you listened to Sam Pancakes podcast. Yes, he's a great podcast called Sam Pancake Presents the Monday Afternoon Movie. I'm the horrible, like dear friend of it. It's about he does the TV movies from the seventies and eighties. Okay, oh fantastic, and I've done it a few times. It's so much fun you watch a really obscure movie. But there were so many TV and it's specifically TV movies right from that decade what is it movie? And they're usually horror, and they're and they're horrible like and they tie things up in the whatever amount of time they have, right, And I know, but it was But also that's a thing too, I think for because even as like a kid, I mean I grew up in the eighties and I would watch those things and they were on TV in the you know, in the middle of the day, were terrifying. I think about like I would come home from school and on HBO in the middle of the day would be Kujo and Mommy Darrist, which I still call a horror movie because I was a child and that movie's on TV every day, and it was terrified.
Speaker 2: That would scare the light.
Speaker 3: It was so scary. And I loved horror. I love thriller, I love Nightmare and elm Street, I love all of that stuff. But there were some of those that when they would feel like they were real, right, there was like there was a document and sometimes when that when they weren't scored properly, they were more up, they were more upsetting. You were just like, why this is happening where it's like a movie. It's like, oh, this is a movie and it's bump up on and you know the bad guy's coming. But some of those, like really cheap ones were just sort of like.
Speaker 2: They don't have the budgets to tell you when it's coming now, so you're it was just sort of like, oh my god, and mommy dear, is just the idea of having a scary mother figure screaming and having.
Speaker 3: Cutting the hair scene. I know where I talking about the wire hangers and all this stuff like that, but when she chops off Christina's hair, Oh, it's really upsetting. It's very upsetting.
Speaker 2: I mean, to have that happen to you, to have your my mom even tried to get into the hair character.
Speaker 3: Now, I know, thank you, she's not cut out, not literally.
Speaker 2: Literally thank you. Yeah. I feel like I just recently watched one of these movies. I love a haunted house movie, and there's a few of them, but I found a I wish I could remember. It was a seventies TV movie where these people moved into what was I think even they acknowledged was a cursed home and then just tried to make a go of it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think I know what you're talking about. And a famous for this in the seventies woman was the mother in it. Believe in it, But I don't remember. But There's in a Basement?
Speaker 2: Yeah, smiliar. Yeah, yeah, I mean, this is a good thing to bring up on a podcast.
Speaker 3: I don't know, And I think it's is it that one where oh her? And then oh god?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And should we spoiled it?
Speaker 2: What's the scariest movie you've ever seen?
Speaker 3: I okay, so immediately I think about my mom and I love scary movies, and we would go to the movies a lot growing up, and I remember going just being like, let's go. It was like a nine to thirty on a week night. Right when it had opened, we saw Silence of the Lambs.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: That was because we were just preparing for like this kind of a spooky and having no idea how genuinely terrifying. That's the scariest I've ever been in a theater watching that movie. And that movie still is very effective and very disturbing to me. I'm I think Rednecks in the Woods are really scary, like Texas chains Lamask a Wrong Turn, All Wrong Turns Eliza Dushkoup And it's actually a really great nineties early two thousands, Like Red Next it's actually really really scary and great. I love it. But it's those movies are scarier to me than like zombies or alien or things like that. Right when it's like, oh, that could really happen.
Speaker 2: That's exactly I feel.
Speaker 3: That's really really scary to me. And I also just growing up in the South, I think you just.
Speaker 2: Kind of are scared of, like, oh, yeah, that's they could be.
Speaker 3: Oh at any moment, Like cities don't scare me, like country scares me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. And the wrong turn they're just trying to go on a nice vacation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they take the wrong turn. Little do you know they're hunted by these Yeah, for a purpose. Sure, lunch Hills have Eyes as another good one. And yeah, there's always a lot of those that are.
Speaker 2: Just sort of like you know, I just watch the Zodiac documentary. Have you seen this?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, I have not seen it.
Speaker 2: No, It was scary initially, and then I started to feel like these people are telling their story that they think that they basically lived with the zodiac. Oh okay, started to feel a little. I became skeptical.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, I understand. I love that movie. That's the movies believe, but that's really about the world around it because no one ever really knew who he was. I kne who the actual killer was, and so that made it even more disturbing when you go into it knowing like they're not going to find.
Speaker 2: Him because he's still out there.
Speaker 3: Yes, wasn't there that people thinking that Ted Cruz was the Zodio, which literally makes no sense because Ted Cruise is younger than me or my age. It's a crazy disturbing.
Speaker 2: Number with Ted Cruise is he's probably twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Age, he's my age, and no, but I you know, you're the numbers, and it's sort of like, oh, well then no, it's obviously not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean even that, I just don't like him getting any attention on my agree negative or positive. I just want him to fall into a swamp and no one ever knows. He's just vanishes from society and we can't.
Speaker 3: Wait for that to happen to a lot of people. I mean, that's what's going to have to happen.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: At this point, we scream into our death mask and just hope for swamps, you know, Hope for Swamps, my favorite Oprah book Club book, Hope for Swamps.
Speaker 2: Do we know exactly what this is supposed to do? Is it supposed to ward off?
Speaker 3: Is it's supposed to ward off? I hope it's not to like invite, invite.
Speaker 2: My life just craters after this, Like sure, let's go, Like well, I'm just great, just drive off. Listening to Karen Carpon, I.
Speaker 3: I know exactly rainy days and mondays. No, I I think it's to ward off evil spirits. I don't say that on at.
Speaker 2: Least you have any idea.
Speaker 3: There are a few things. One of the main things is to.
Speaker 4: It was used as an intimidation tactic in war, completely can be used in ceremonies and human sacrifice rituals.
Speaker 2: Perfect to get into it.
Speaker 3: Sweet may have.
Speaker 4: Been used to honor the wind god and to call for favorable weather conditions. Weather today, Yeah Yeah announced the death of a tribal member, and the whistle was used on the day of the dad along with other instruments. So there, Yeah, the multipurpose whistle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it truly is. It's a Swiss army knife and there you go. I mean, I don't even know if I describe this to the listener, but it's a little black skull and it's so tasteful. Little skull, yeah, half skull. Yeah, the jaw is gone, some enormous teeth up front. Ye, and it's really stunning. I think it's made out of clay or something. Let's just do another, just, you know, because we should do this periodically.
Speaker 3: Hm. I also love that it like it's like a kettle. It gets stronger, it builds, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no tea at the end. It's just.
Speaker 3: Kind of that annoying tea at the end, just the rage sounds of air escaping.
Speaker 2: Do you play any instruments?
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: Did you ever take I never did.
Speaker 3: I have very long piano fingers that people always said you your hands to play piano, and I was always told, like, you'll regret it, you never play piano. I don't regret it. I've never been interested in and I mean I love when people play it. Well. I wish I could sing that's the thing. I'm going to bring that back too. That's the thing that I wish I could do is like sing and dance and then I would, you know, just do plays all the time.
Speaker 2: But piano, no, how well can you sing? Can you like in the car? You're like, I can.
Speaker 3: Carry So Titanic gave me a lot more confidence. And I can talk sing, you know, I can do talkie sing things. It's just not a pretty sound when I sing, and but I have found ways of doing it, and a lot of it is just is confidence. Sure. I'm just where I'm way more confident saying lines. When I have a song and I'm like, oh God, if I mess up a word, I'm going to throw the whole song away. I'm not really gonna know. I had to do a show where I had to another theater story. I had to do Vogue. I just sing Madonnald's Woe, which I've sung for thirty years. I had to have it written down. I had to make excuse that it was written for me because I was like Greta Garbo and Monroe Dietrich into Mondial, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Harlow, Jimmy Carter, Carter Black. I was like, literally going, I don't know what I'm saying, and I was yeah. So I was like, if I get this wrong at the beginning of the show, then the whole show is to have it written down. I was so in my head about it.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't be surprised if Madonna has to have it written down.
Speaker 3: She has everything written down on her hand.
Speaker 2: I'm just messy.
Speaker 3: Carlow Gene picture of a what.
Speaker 2: Just covered in bit? Uh? Did you ever? Did you perform in middle and high school? Was that a thing?
Speaker 3: High school? Tenth grade? I started doing theater in high school. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you do high school musicals?
Speaker 3: I did not. I think I directed musicals in my community theater when I was in high school. Wow. Yes, oh oh. Let me tell you. I've got the Lincoln Times News in Lincoln, North Carolina when I was eighteen. I remember I was directing this the musical called Smoke on the Mountain, which is a gospel musical comedy in nineteen ninety five. Yep, And the headline of the paper just said, Drew Drogi eighteen is Lincolnin's orson Wells. That was the nicest I've ever gotten. The nicest thing that anyone's ever said about me. They really had high expense on Oh oh, it's all over it. I had to work in your hair. Yeah, you know, it's my head shot. You don't have quotes on your head shots from your town newspaper. Come on, gotta get in the business.
Speaker 2: That's huge. How did you react to that?
Speaker 3: I was it was downhill from there. I was like, I can't live up to that. So yeah, but I did a lot with the Community Theater. I was actually a wonderful it. I did save my life because I was kicked out of every club. We had like a whole marijuana tobuckle where we were found with marijuana and all my awards were stripped away from me and like everything. So the only thing I had by the end was the Community Theater. They took very romantic. They took our scholarships away, they took our We were kicked out of the Honor Society, out of the like all the clubs. We were like, it was literally our senior year was just we're stripping this from you and taking this from you. And there's thousands of dollars in scholarship money we're taking from Wow, what a ship yeah, because we confess to having a joint. We weren't even cod was on a school trip.
Speaker 2: What a way to make sure the person continues to do drink?
Speaker 3: And when I continue to do drug, of course I usually eat it, but I do I do pot every day. I would say that, And I learned to lie. I learned how to lie be like, no, I didn't have I don't have a joint on me. I. But because I was like, oh, I'm going to tell the truth, we were.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why did you decide to tell the truth?
Speaker 3: We were actually they were really they were really insidious about it. They they grabbed one person out of the group and made her fest up. They said, she's already told us, and so you may as well tell us, right, And we also were just like, well, we're going to do the right thing and we're going to say yes, we did it. And then because of that, then it was like our lives and we're like, oh, right, next time, don't don't tell the truth. That's what I learned from that whole situation was like lie and weeds better than you know, most of those people that you're you know, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, I think just lie until at least until you have the full picture of what's going to happen exactly.
Speaker 3: They never known, and they would have they would have literally been like you know, he said, versus she said, but we would have let our friend she.
Speaker 2: Could throw her under the bus. Yeah, she made the decision she did. This is a pro rat podcast.
Speaker 3: Absolutely okay. In that case, Well, is.
Speaker 2: There anything left to say about the whistle?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: I mean, we'll blow it. It'll be blown again frequently.
Speaker 3: But I say I highly recommend them. I recommend getting them in a store. But if you can't find them in a store, they.
Speaker 2: Are on alms online. I wonder you can get these in a store.
Speaker 3: I know, Like, what store? Do you go to?
Speaker 2: Target?
Speaker 3: I'm sure they or they have Holiday death Wessons, Silver Bell Death wik Yes, yes, I have Santa's boots. What have.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's time to play a game. All right, great, I think we'll play this game called Gift a Curse Listener. We'll play Gift Masters soon. It's under construction again. I'm so lazy. Oh all right, I need a number between one and ten from you.
Speaker 3: Seven, Okay.
Speaker 2: I have to do a little bit of light calculating to get our game pieces. So you can promote, recommend, do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: I can promote, Oh please, when is this coming out? Do we know? Well at that point, hopefully it will still be in theaters. But I'm in a new movie called Queer that opens on November twenty seventh, but I don't know what actually when it opens wide, but definitely go see that. What else I've got nothing else going on? Yeah, that's about it. I'm looking for work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's perfect. I mean, it's so exciting the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's really great. It's wonderful. I'm very excited that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it seems like it's going to be incredible. On Daniel Craig, Yes, he's wonderful. It's just the nicest, normal to earth person. He's such a great I mean, he's phenomenal in this movie, I'm sure. And Nike anything he's ever done, and I mean he's always great. But this is just like WHOA and then Luca Guaddino. So it was like so it was it was a dream. Somebody made it because he's made two movies this year.
Speaker 3: He did well. Challengers was done, but because of Strike and the whole thing, and they had a hold back what weever. But yeah, so he actually showed us Challengers when we were when we were filming.
Speaker 2: There, so I got to get to see that inside school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I love Challengers too. It's but it's a lot of the same team. I mean, justin Kurtziz who wrote the script for both of Atticus Ross Andresler just the music for both, and so like Jonathan Anderson designed costumes, and so it's a lot of the same team that did Challengers also did Queer and they are wildly different movies. Yeah, they seem very very gay movies in very different ways.
Speaker 2: Ultimately both tennis films.
Speaker 3: Yes, of course, there's so much tennis. No I play, Chris Evert. The fact that you're that that's my reference true, Not Martina and Averagel, not Venus and Serena, Chris Ager.
Speaker 2: Chris Evert, sure, I mean those are you have way more tennis polls than I could have possibly had.
Speaker 3: I don't even know how I know that. Very impressive she hosted, and now that's how I know.
Speaker 2: So there we go, there we go exactly, Okay, do I have anything to recommend? Oh, I've been rewatching getting on.
Speaker 3: Oh, Laurie metcalf.
Speaker 2: Oh, just an unbelievable And I've learned recently that people who I trust in respect haven't even heard of the show.
Speaker 3: Oh it needs to come back and people need to watch again. I need to watch it again because I didn't watch all of it and loved the ones that I did see.
Speaker 2: Oh so you haven't You haven't seen the final episode. No, I have not. It's so beautiful. There's a moment that is one of the most beautiful moments I've seen in television. Oh it was a very funny show.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it was really funny. Yeah, it was also really great. I saw Yesterday, which is a very different tone, but speaking of like hospital, way more in the comedy side, but Saint Denis medical.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, of course, it's so fun and it's got.
Speaker 3: It's got. You have a friend of any.
Speaker 2: I've had got friends who write on it. Oh, yes, Yaomi, Naomi, my friend justin Ye.
Speaker 3: People, it's I mean, you've got the the national treasure that is Wendy McLendon Covey and she's so good, and the legend that is David Alla Greer And like Allison told me, it's like this great cast. But it's also really moving and very sweet. I thought it would just be a fun you know, just a roperstar in a in a hospital, but instead it's it's really I was like, Wow, I'm really moved.
Speaker 2: And two solid hospital recommendations. People need to be watching more hospital on t tree.
Speaker 3: There's not enough hospital on TV.
Speaker 2: That's whatever, says the problem with the industry. Yes, get some more hospitals and we'll fire. Okay, this is how we play Gift or a Curse. I'm going to name three things, and you're going to tell me if there are a gift or a curse and why, and then I'll tell you if you're right or wrong. Because there are correct answers. You can fail this game. Oh I hope so, and I probably will. You use the death whistle because why wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Why not.
Speaker 2: When the death whistle blows, that means you did not get the point. Okay, when the death whistle blows, it means you were also correct. I'll just why afterwards. It'll be blown no matter, okay. Number one this is from a listener named Steph. Gift or a Curse When somebody is out on a walk and happens upon a fruit tree near the sidewalk in a stranger's yard and helps themselves to some of the fruit.
Speaker 3: And it's a gift or a curse. Yes, I see, I'm going to call that a gift. Why because it's you never eat all the fruit that it's on your tree, give it to the neighborhood. It's fruits made to be eaten. I think it's a I think it's a delicious treat. And I enjoy all the fairy tales in which people bite fruit and magic happens to them.
Speaker 2: Oh, correct, correct, Yes, I love. I'm always so scared to do it myself. I'm so tempted. Yes, but I think if your fruit tree is hanging over the sidewalk, that's city property. Yes, And why can't I take a little after my neighbors have.
Speaker 3: My neighbors have an orange tree who belonged to gay rights activists and legend Morris Kite, who did pass away a few years ago, but he was like the amazing gay like like hero of That's Hollywood, was in his nineties. He had this bitter orange tree that's good for marmalade and cocktails. You don't really want to eat the oranges, right, It produces so many oranges and they're thrilled, or at least they tell me they are when we when we take them off the tree to they're wonderful in a negronie.
Speaker 2: Oh that sounds I need to find out where this is located. Shop. Yeah, yeah, I think it's lovely. Someone's going to take it, whether it's a wild animal another person, or it will fall to the ground, yes, and rot on the ground. Yeah, we should all. I want to get one.
Speaker 3: Anyone who is like, donate the fruit, then dig up the tree right, throw it away, Throw the tree away, and you're selfing with it. Die? Thank you?
Speaker 2: No you? Okay, you get the point. An absolute gift okay number two. This is from a listener named Cameron. Gift or a curse welcome Matt's slash other assorted front door trinkets or decor in the indoor hallway of an apartment building.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, curse.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 3: I think they're trying too hard. I mean, like, it's one thing if it's like a nice decorative map, but if it has a message on it, I'm always like uh uh oh, Like I'm a little bit like red flag. It's like you're you're you you are trying. It's like bumper sticker or anything like. I'm this and it's just it's a lot at me. I don't need a welcome or anything wacky or fine. When I'm walking in the door, a nice, beautiful pattern, a nice color, lovely. I can dust off my shoes or leave them at the door. I'm happy to do that. Don't scream words at me when I'm coming up to your place. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Wrong, it's a curse. It's a gift. It's a gift. I mean, I'm doing a lot here. I'm playing an instrument. Now the listener has to forgive me. You're wrong, You're absolutely wrong. I love it. The more clutter we can get in a hallway, the better, the more opportunities to trip over trinkets and chowkeys. I think it's absolutely terrific. And I love a little mattch to wipe my filthy feet the mud off.
Speaker 3: Do you like it to say funny things like lordy, lordy, Brenda's forty.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's all they should say. A special happy birthday welcome that you own for the rest of life. That someone's gone. This is you have a second item for your correct Yeah, I mean you've really proven yourself wrong.
Speaker 3: Here, Yeah I really have.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: Okay, so one out of two so far and this is the final one. This is from an unknown listener. And whenever I see unknown it feels a little creepy. It's like an unmarked grave. But whatever, gift your a curse saying the name of the credit card company before reading out the number. It's a Visa for one four seven.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a curse. You're an idiot, because first of all, they know by the like a Visa and MasterCard, they have like certain numbers that immediately make it what it is. But also like it doesn't the number is not going to be different per like that's that credit cards number. It's not like, oh, Visa has that number and MasterCard house Americans. The number is the number. You don't need to say that. That's like saying it's a red card. Uh, you know what I mean, we don't need that.
Speaker 2: And now the school it's just.
Speaker 3: So many.
Speaker 2: I lead a musical life. Wrong, Ah, it's a gift again. I mean, speaking of Brenda, this feels like real Brenda, right when somebody it's a master card for one for something that's a.
Speaker 3: Dream Diners club.
Speaker 2: It's a Discover three one, threes eight. It's I think that's perfect behavior I need. I think we should all be bringing that energy.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love it. I love it. I just find it like.
Speaker 2: That's very phone in between your ear and shoulder reading it out?
Speaker 1: You are?
Speaker 3: I mean, I love I love anyone who's going to read their credit card number out loud in public, really loud, and just announce it. I mean, how fun? What a wild adventure you're must always be on. Yeah, I think that's how I got scammed again. It's a Visa five six one.
Speaker 2: How often are you reading out the number? You're calling the Sears catalog? You're on the phone with pennies. It's I think it's a gift, at least for our Brenda's Sure, Well you got one out of three, one out of three.
Speaker 3: That's not bad.
Speaker 2: It's not a complete fail.
Speaker 3: No, And I don't care. I told you I don't like to win.
Speaker 2: Right, you're the person for this, right, and now I'm furious. I need you to be passionate about this. And now we need to get into the on aalase gift or a curse. On liase is a very objective judge and they're going to give us one and we're both going to try to get the correct answer on release. What is your thing today?
Speaker 4: Gift a curse? The friendship of Martha Stewart and Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Do you want to go first?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, go first. I think that's a gift. I think that's a wonderful thing. I think they both are fascinating personalities. They both bring out a real like mirth in each other. He absolutely made her like he's has softened her in a really fun way. I'm a fan. I'm a fan of that pairing and partnership.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I'm also going to say gift. I was on the phone with my mom just last night talking about the Martha Stewart documentary.
Speaker 3: Which I've not seen.
Speaker 2: It gets a little dark. She seems like she could be a very lonely person. But my mom wants them to get married.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: She just loves these two together. We all love them together.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like it's a pretty honest thing that's happening. I hope, I hope that they love each other.
Speaker 3: I hope so too. I think it's fantastic, it's organic, and maybe it's just We're totally just. You know, sometimes you feel like, oh, you literally put these two wildly different people together in a world and whatever, but like in a buddy comedy or something right. But instead I'm like, no, they genuinely I want to believe they genuinely like each other.
Speaker 2: I mean it should be an buddy comedy, would solving a crime?
Speaker 3: Or she needs to be in the remake of Taxi?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, on Elis, how did we do?
Speaker 3: You're wrong, it's a curse.
Speaker 4: I see the reason why I'm going to be the bad guy here because I know, deep in your heart Bridger, you want to say it's a curse, because you know that should be.
Speaker 2: You know Martha, you love Martha.
Speaker 3: I mean sure, I know.
Speaker 4: That you really want to have that best friend status with Martha.
Speaker 2: Wow for you to, I mean you you have seen me in a way that no one else possibly could. Of course, I would love to be on her little she rides like a little four wheel go kart throughout the movie, to be the passenger and that and her just being mean to me, I'm I would love nothing more.
Speaker 4: What a missed opportunity.
Speaker 3: But you know I I love Snoop and I will have to say. Now, I maybe I have told this story before. Back in the day, I was catering at the Playboy Mansion. Okay, it was Jamie Fox's birthday the Playboy Mansion. All these people were there and they were very strict about like times like at this time, we have to stop serving this and you can do this. And we were all in these like horrible nehrew jackets and running in my horrible job and everyone's like mean and whatever. And this guy grabbed me and he was like, I need a sprite. He just got me. He's like I need and I need to get a sprite. And I was like, I'm sorry, sir, it's cut off whatever. And he looks me and he goes, it's for Snoop and I was like absolutely, And I went in, and I mean I dug through, I just unlocked codes. I went through Pep secret doors. What I dove in I was finding us. I was like, I'm getting Snoop a sprite. He's got driving off exactly why he needs it and he needs a sprite. And I'm like, I will do that for Snoop Dogg. So You're welcome if you're listening, son, I did that for you.
Speaker 2: How are they cutting off sprite? At any point during it was sprite?
Speaker 3: He needed a can of sprite. I was like, that's I will fire me Patina catering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that feels like something that should just be on a table somewhere in the gardeners.
Speaker 3: I was like, that's not even like making you a cocktail or anything involving. It was not chopping we not you know what a moheedo or something you want to sprite that.
Speaker 2: People get thirsty all the time all the time. Wow, good for you for really stepping in there a great person. Wow, So you've been into the Playboy Mansion?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What was that? What was it was?
Speaker 3: I just remember being very dark and not welcoming and it just didn't feel like fun or sexy at all to me. And it was, but it was also like it was working and just sort of like you're sort of ordered around, and it's almost like my memories of like working in places, was like you were basically like, look down, don't take this in. This isn't your life, you know, kind of a thing. I let them call me Andrew when I.
Speaker 2: Ca I was like, do you want to call you Andrew? No? Is your name? Andrew?
Speaker 3: My full name is Andrew, but my mom and dad were like called me Drew from day one. They named me Andrew, but I was always to be Drew, and so yeah, they when I was like, yeah, call me Andrew here, I'm just I'm a different person here when I'm here. So Andrew did that job.
Speaker 2: Always to be Drew is such a beautiful title for something.
Speaker 3: Ah my next, so always to be Drew?
Speaker 2: Wow, what is the word I've been? I have been to the Playbood Mansion, but not inside, just the outside, and it was as similar.
Speaker 3: That's more what I remember than the inside. I don't remember how much of that we went in.
Speaker 2: But do you remember the outside being kind of also not taken that well taken care of?
Speaker 3: No, yeah, it was kind of yeah. I was like, yeah, it was a dingy, Yes.
Speaker 2: It was yeah. They I guess they're really putting something out there to make people think it's nice. But I know there's a mildew.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a girl melting on everything.
Speaker 2: I think, yes, Okay, let's uh. This is the final segment of the podcast. Unfortunately we lost on Elisa's Little Game, which makes me sick.
Speaker 3: But what do you do?
Speaker 2: This is? I said, no emails people right in too, I said, no gifts at gmail dot com begging for answers. Great you help me answer question? Yes, okay, this says dear Bridger and memorable guest. That's nice, especially considering all of my memory problems. My husband and I are expecting our first child through surrogacy. Our surrogate is an amazing woman who has been through the entire IVF process and most of the pregnancy at this point without a single complaint. We have given some gifts at the major milestones, such as baskets of self care products, gift cards, et cetera. At the most recent appointment, she gave us a very thoughtful, handmade gift. Oh that's nice. As we prepare for the birth, we are at a loss for what to get the person who gives birth to our son. Any suggestions will be given the consideration they deserve. Well that I don't like to hear that. Oh yeah, sincerely, Lucas and Justin from Atlanta, Georgia. I mean to end, they deserve the consideration they deserve. I mean, I almost just want to shut down the podcast. If you're not just gonna take these with open arms.
Speaker 3: Exactly, we'll consider it. Well, of course she would also like it's one of those things, like, of course she would, but to say that she's a little bit like, Okay, it was.
Speaker 2: A nastiness to it. If you didn't believe we were going to have a good answer for you, maybe just don't write into the podcast exactly find another part.
Speaker 3: Also, do you think this is real anyway? I mean, your baby's real? Okay, great, congratulations another child in the world. What do you give the mother for like having the baby?
Speaker 2: Right, especially now that she's given another gift, I don't feel like she should have given a gift.
Speaker 3: She's done enough, she's done enough, she's gone too far, she's absolutely done enough.
Speaker 2: Early red flag. Actually, I would say maybe she's like planning to take the baby. Oh I hope, maybe she's starting to make get.
Speaker 3: It back.
Speaker 2: They she opened at the hospital and the doors.
Speaker 3: What god, I mean, what do you get? What do you give someone that's like done that? Like I feel like anything is never enough. I mean you could buy her a house and still be like, but you gave us a child, you know what I mean? So I would say, you know, I think a really nice dinner car, like a you know, get for a nice.
Speaker 2: Nice local rest restaurant or franchise, franchise, national change.
Speaker 3: And you know a year in a wine club. Does she drink now that she's just drink wine.
Speaker 2: Or has she been secretly drinking? There you go, then that's a problem, sure not to her. Not. Now what's done is done, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would just say something like that you've already given her, like spa. It sounds like self treatment, stuff like things.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, there's just never there. I mean, I guess you could give her a pet, give her another life large animal.
Speaker 3: But then it's just to take care of that likes just to want that. A large animal like a jaguar.
Speaker 2: A jaguar exotic, something that's borderline illegal. Okay, sure, something that should not be caged.
Speaker 3: But Atlanta's big.
Speaker 2: You know, her house is probably massive.
Speaker 3: I'm sure. Give her a.
Speaker 2: Wild animal, something zoo, I don't know. Get her something that's been preserved in amber yea or in some swamp in the.
Speaker 3: Thanks for taking our child and deal with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, moving on, because who knows the child that they've all created together could be a nightmare.
Speaker 3: I hope he is.
Speaker 2: So you have to give her something that could potentially be a life.
Speaker 3: Ruin heer, Absolutely so.
Speaker 2: I think actually the only thing is an exotic animal.
Speaker 3: That bites and get an astac death mask death whistle, and then you know, train it through.
Speaker 2: That, trained through a death.
Speaker 3: I think that parents would be wonderful. Let's fine, okay, exactly just anybody. We're putting it out there now. Bridge and I are looking to become dads. Make us a kid, and you will get You'll get an exotic animal preserved in amber with an az tech death whistle. Who could ask, hello, all you had to do nine months out of your life?
Speaker 2: Who care?
Speaker 3: Cook a baby? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Deal with it.
Speaker 3: You'll never hear from us again.
Speaker 2: We will change our numbers. Oh, we'll never again, full new identities, and you're left with this creature. Well I feel like that. I mean that that requires full consideration. Yes, I mean they're doing it. Let's just assume that Justin and what's his name, Lucas, Lucas, thank you Justin and Lucas take it away. Uh, surprise her, shock, her, delight her exactly one for one baby for animal. Yeah, don't write back in, we answered it perfectly. That I can just blow throughout the day satisfying. It really is a stress reliever. I can't recommend it enough. I'm sitting here with two people who are deeply jealous of my new gift, Drew and on Alis, and there's nothing they can do about it. Thank you for being here, then, thank you, Thank you for this wonderful that's such a good time with you, so much fun. Listener, The podcast is over. Oh I love you, goodbye. I said, No Gifts is an exactly right production. Our senior producer is on Alisa Nelson, and our episodes are beautifully mixed by Ben Tolladay. The theme song is by miracle worker Amy Mann, and we couldn't do it without our booker, Patrick Cottner. You must follow the show on Instagram. And I said, No Gifts, that's where you're going to see pictures of all these wonderful gifts I'm getting. And don't you want to see the gifts?
Speaker 1: And I invited you here, thought I made myself perfectly clear, But you're a guess to my home. You gotta come to me empty And I said, no guests, you're our presences presents enough I already had too much stuff, So how did you dare to surbey me?