Speaker 1: Man cannot live on bread alone. Some butter would be nice. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm before we get there. Joe has a cold. I've got a question, yes for everyone, because the cold is sweeping through my house. I bravely have not caught it yet.
Speaker 1: Superior character, obviously, I try hard, made of stronger stuff.
Speaker 3: Must be that healthy diet of yours.
Speaker 1: What deed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I've got a pretty good immune system for stuff like normal diseases that go around. I usually don't get them. What would it be like if I ate better? I might be impenetrable.
Speaker 1: You could be well, you're you're just at the tail end of raising little kids. Now you have teenagers. So you have been enrolled in the marine boot camp of immune systems raising children.
Speaker 2: So I've got a number of people in my orbit who take nothing when they get a cold. They don't they believe it's all bs, and they don't take anything. I take a few things. Do you take anything? Do you think anything works? Katie's nodding her head. We'll start with you.
Speaker 3: I take theraflu.
Speaker 2: You take theraflu. I have found that to work. I don't care if it's placebia, if I suffer from Placebia. Doesn't matter to me. It's as I feel better. I don't need anybody to tell me it doesn't. Actually, I don't care. I feel better.
Speaker 1: Don't take anything like tile and all or I view profen. At one point I was down with the zinc. Yeah, but I couldn't figure out what form. And I just kind of remember when nobody got a cold during COVID. Yeah, I've fallen out of I don't remember what to do anymore.
Speaker 2: I got a bottle of uh, it's immuno something or other they say take when a cold first, you first start to get the symptoms of a cold, and it's zinc and a couple other things. And I don't know if they do anything, but I feel like if I take that, if I do get the cold, it's much milder. Again, might be in my head, I don't care. I also use zycham, yeah, which is awesome.
Speaker 3: I've heard people recommend sinuses and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I tend not to trust my own experience because the data set isn't big enough. But I don't I don't know. I have no information that there's anything wrong with taking that stuff, And what the hell it worst? It's harmless but you're not a take nothing guy, or no, I am pretty much, although I'm thinking now that you mentioned it, maybe I'll take some tile and all or something. I actually, my symptoms aren't that bad other than just overwhelming fatigue at this point.
Speaker 4: Now, do you guys take Nike will? And that's what I do, and I go to sleep afraid of it.
Speaker 2: You're afraid of nighttime nikewill?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, with our hours, I don't. If I wake up groggy or over sleep, that's not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't. Alcoholics are not supposed to take nyquill because it's basically taking a shot.
Speaker 1: Alcohol to help yougin sleep. Yeah, I don't for the reason Katie cided. I just it's hard enough to get up in the morning and be semi sharp, yeah, listeners of the first hour of the radio show or not very sharp.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing with giving your kids stuff, you kind of have a better gauge of whether it's actually doing anything or especially when they're little, they're too young to like and uh, most stuff I don't think does much.
Speaker 1: A right. Oh yeah, absolutely, Remember when that one thing that was ubiquitous on the still it drug store shelves of America.
Speaker 2: It's still in every freaking drug I buy, Every cold medicine you buy still has that fenel en ryn or whatever it's called in it, and the government announced it does nothing.
Speaker 1: Were completely different.
Speaker 2: The FDA said it does zero zero, it's a nothing and it's a cold medicine. Still, you're wasting your time on the fenyl helamelo melow Hill fell. Hell, well, how do you say it, Katie? You're looking at it, but so it's on yours. What are you looking at right there?
Speaker 3: This is daquil.
Speaker 5: When I had this flu last time around, I took everything under the sun that I could get my hands on because I was trying to get rid of that crap. Uh yeah, it's in here too.
Speaker 2: Every cold medicine in every aisle of every store that sells cold medicine has drugs full of that, and the government announced it doesn't do anything. I just think that's weird, just counting on that people don't know.
Speaker 1: It because it's funny, yes, say, oh yeah, yeah, Well the percentage of people you know. Honestly, we've posed this question in many contexts in recent days and through the years. What percentage of Americans? One of us will ask the other, do you think knows that any story or anything. Yeah, and in this case, what percentage do you think could tell you? Oh? Yeah, fenel elephant here is it was worthless? I remember that in a story, be a very very small number.
Speaker 2: I suppose you're right.
Speaker 3: Okay, this says fedenah left freen FENI la freene.
Speaker 1: That's the way he got Okay, fenelefrene, fenelefrine, I like your guys, is better than elephant.
Speaker 2: Well, since it doesn't do anything, I'll call whatever I want to call it. It's a bunch of sh wow, unnecessary, just.
Speaker 1: Hilarious.
Speaker 2: What you got too much blood in your body is your problem?
Speaker 1: Right? You got to bleed your feet. You don't have the uh stomach to actually slice open your own feet.
Speaker 2: Isn't that what killed George Washington?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well it hastened his death certainly. Yeah, I don't know why. Well, I'm a bit of a history freak and a bit of a medical history hobbyist, and a great admirer of George Washington. That was I listened with rapt attention and like committed it all the memory there in his bedroom where he died, as you're there by his bedside, probably a recreation. But and they explained that, yeah, he had what do they think he had? I can't remember the disease. I didn't memorize it that effectively obviously, but the doctors in he probably did not have a uh. He was an honorable and elderly man anyway that the doctors in treating him for what was probably whatever the hell, just kept saying, yeah, we got to bleed the feet and let out the bad humors. And he'd like rally a little bit, and they'd think, yeah, we probably ought to bleed his feet more. He what if you don't have enough red blood cells? Anemia?
Speaker 2: He pretty much.
Speaker 5: And it was all that for a throat infection. Is what the interwebs say, too much blood is your problem? Yeah, streptococcal infection or something. He should have taken some phenahell element a little bit elephant.
Speaker 1: Uh. So I started out the podcast. I figured I might as well pay it off. Uh. And this is this is pleasant and delightful. A bread making craze has begun in my extended family. Oh cool, Yeah, I remember during the pandemic when people started doing that, and so, uh yeah, oddly enough, it began with a relative who has some sensory issues, Jack, something you know about, and certainly I do, having raised an autistic daughter. But anyway, uh, a certain homemade bread seemed to be great, and it happens to be unfreaking believably delicious. I'm going to keep things vague to protect the innocent, but say my it was my uncle Morty, and we would make reference to Morty bread and how good it was. And Morty when he would come for a visit would always leave a loaf. And when I was through with Morty bread, I was very, very sad because it was so good.
Speaker 2: I leave work today.
Speaker 1: Oh God, Jesus boy. You know Jack, you know what, Katie, I just do you want to go off into our own thing?
Speaker 2: Would you tell me?
Speaker 1: Wouldn't ever? Yeah, Michael, you're hired.
Speaker 3: And he can watch Jack. We're out of here.
Speaker 1: This is going to be like in this this is this happened to me at least once in my youth. It was explained to me, Hey, the band has got breakup. We just we can't do this and it's too much trouble to do that, And so we're breaking up. And then a week later here, yeah, they're playing. They just got a different dude, play your instrument. Oh my god. Yeah. Wow, So that's what we're doing to Jack right now. Yeah, we I'm really not gonna do it radio anymore.
Speaker 2: That's like they break up with you because I just I just don't think I should be in a relationship right now. And then you see him walking down the street holding hands with somebody next weekend.
Speaker 5: Oh okay, Well I'm going into bread making. You guys have fun. Okay, the bread making, I am. That's something I would like to actually learn how to do one because I love homemade bread and it just seems like it could be a cool craft.
Speaker 1: And I pronounced, having enjoyed some Morti bread and then switched back to the regular stuff. Oh my god, it's just so much better. And so Judy got a new mixer because our old mixer's motor was kind of funky, and so now she's got this big, like industry looking mixer. And she made a couple of loafs of what's known as the mort He bred. And my lost student daughter made herself some bread, although one of her two cats stepped on the bread as it was proofing, which I guess means rising or something. Yeah, and so one of the loaves is robust and very healthy looking, and the other loaf is really just excuse me loaf because I can't ruined it. Damn cats.
Speaker 2: The cat stepped on the bread. But you're gonna go ahead and make it anyway, doesn't that mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I mean you put it in the oven at three hundred and fifty degrees for a half an hour or whatever. It is fine.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I want letter box bread.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This tastes a little like whatever a cat walks through.
Speaker 1: Well, now, I will tell you this. Having baby sat my daughter's cats for three weeks over Christmas, she does occasionally get ready to bleeper. She does occasionally refer to their shit mittens because they, you know, they pooh out, they pooh in the box, then they walk out of the box.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's see, that's not a tasty term, like they dip.
Speaker 1: Their taws and some paus and some sort of disinfectant on their way out. Must clean the paws after one booze, You though, they don't do that shit.
Speaker 2: That's a great term. It is, and discuss we've got cats and Michael, I'm going to use that term patting around in ship mittens over your house.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna start calling people ship mittens. This is great.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, this is charming, folks. I apologize.
Speaker 2: I work with this guy and working with the ship mitten told me the other day.
Speaker 1: But a bunch of ship mittens around here? Why do I put up with it?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 1: Anyway? Where was I? Oh? I was going to talk about the various things that are so far superior in their homemade version, right, but we've kind of drifted so far away from it. Like I brewed beer for a while. My brother bruise beer and it's so good. He's actually got the cooler with two taps, and anytime we visit his house he has home brewed beer in kegs on tap. Wow, icy cold on his patio. It's ridiculous. Oh, it's although. If I lived like that, I would be a flaming alcoholic in three hundred and seventy five pounds, And what if there's a downside, But I'd be happy and I wouldn't be thinking about my problems, and people would be more interesting. But bread might be at the top of the list. Beer is close, I say, cookies. And I'm a bit of a purest, maybe a bit of a pain in the ass. I know that's hard to imagine. I will not eat store bought cookies. I just I won't because the calories and the taste. No.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh those cookies that I sent you guys, the picture of of her break that I made. They were so I know homemade cookie is it's it's just it's like sex, it's so good.
Speaker 2: I grew up in Wisconsin with a lot of homemade butter, and homemade butter is just so much better than in the store. It's like a different thing.
Speaker 1: You put each brother. I wouldn't know if you.
Speaker 2: Put homemade, and I had forgotten how good it was. So this field trip my son went on to a couple of years ago, they churn buttered. They I spent more time churning than the kids did, but as I was one of the chaperones, but I churned up exactly their weedy little arms. I turned up the butter, and I'd forgotten how good it is. You put homemade butter on homemade bread and you have a flip and treat right there.
Speaker 3: That sounds wonderful.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing.
Speaker 5: Oh no, I'm just I'm in the process of trying to make sour dough bread because that's my favorite, oh of life, and I haven't I haven't gotten it down yet because it's complicated.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we missed the whole but getting a starter going during COVID thing I wish we had. Yeah, Jack, I'm sure there are semi overpriced like electric butter schurns you can get from you know, Sharper.
Speaker 2: Pilot. We did it the old timey away with a look like the thing you've seen in old timey movies with a stick in a cylinder with a hole on the top. It kind of looks a little sexual. But I mean, you're you're doing this thing.
Speaker 1: Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Speaker 2: But yeah, homemade butter, that's that's what you gotta add. You have homemade bread with homemade butter. Oh, got to do it.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at how to make homemade butter and it doesn't look that difficult, it's at all.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna try it today.
Speaker 2: Do it, yeah, and then report back.
Speaker 1: Oh so good, get me a tub.
Speaker 2: Not that sort of stuff. The ship mittens sell over there at the store.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know it, I know it.
Speaker 4: My mom breaks My mom bakes bread and she's the sweetest woman ever, but when her yeast doesn't rise, f bombs there.
Speaker 1: Stay out of the kitchen. Man danger danger.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess that's it.
Speaker 3: Ship mintens is my new favorite thing.
Speaker 2: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: The world.
Speaker 1: Get your ship mittens off my bread, she said,