Speaker 1: I'm Tari's Mexi and you're listening to the seventy six Ers Insiders podcast. This podcast is part of the seventy six Ers podcast network, presented by Stern and Cohen Law.
Speaker 2: Search seventy six Ers Insiders wherever you get your podcasts. Suffering an injury at work can cause physical pain, but also great uncertainty about your rights. You need to retain a worker's compensation law firm that is a winner like our Sixers, a firm that gets some of the best settlements, but is also willing to go toe to toe with the insurance company. No settling on the cheap. This is Philly. We have grit and fight in us. Call the workers Compensation Law Firm of Stern and Cohen or visit their site Sterncohenlaw dot com. The consultation is free. Stern and Cohen are the official partners of the seventy six Ers. They'll go ring the insurance company's bell here in Philadelphia. The Sixers drop the front end of a difficult back to back on the schedule. It was a game against the Oklahoma City the Thunder. They will host the New York Knicks tomorrow. The Thunder our first place in the West Knicks or third in the East Thunder with a one to eighteen one oh two victory in Philly to get to thirty three and six. Sixers playing without eight players, including the Big three of MB, George and Maxi, their record is now fifteen and twenty three. Matt Murphy here with you on our Parks Casino post game show. I'll reconnect with Tom McGinnis. Shortly, we'll hear from Sixers coach Nick Nurse his postgame comments in a game that a shorthanded Sixers team clawed their way all the way back into this a six point game going to the fourth quarter eighty seven eighty one, and you would may have expected with increase playing time that guys would hit career high totals, and Jeff Didton Junior and Justin Edwards were up to the task off the Sixers bench. In thirty five minutes, Edwards goes for eighteen em best twenty five points, which is a new NBA career high. He had eleven in the Brooklyn game on the road last weekend or two weekends ago. I guess Dalton had eighteen tonight. He had twelve in the second half, twelve on the number was his NBA career high coming into this one. Seventeen for Yabusele, thirteen for Ricky Council, the fourth who made his first career NBA start, Eric Gordon had ten for Philadelphia as a starter. Game high honors went to Shay Gilgis Alexander Goes for thirty two. He averages thirty one point four, which is tied for Giannis to lead the NBA rankings thirty two points, nine assists, did have four turnovers, shot twelve of fifteen. Caseon Wallace had a season high eighteen points. Jalen Williams in between them with twenty four. The Santa Clara Jalen Williams, who is their second leading scorer. Chet Holmgren is still out twenty four points for Jalen Williams on eight of fifteen shooting. They turned the ball over eighteen times, but twelve of those were in the first half. Sixers turned it over twenty two times. That led to twenty nine points, eight of those in the in the second half. Six in the game for Council. Five in the game for the starting point guard Tonight Reggie Jackson, who played sixteen minutes and fifty three seconds for the Sixers. They shot forty four percent to Oklahoma City's fifty five point six They made Thunder made twelve threes. Sixers made thirteen again a one to eighteen one oh two Oklahoma City Thunder win. On the road. They have now won eighteen of their last nineteen games. They've got a huge rematch coming up on Thursday. They just ended a four game road trip here in Philly that began with a game in Cleveland, which is the top team in the East, Calves, the top team in the West, the Thunder. Now they'll get a visit from the Calves with a chance for revenge on Thursday. Here's Tom mcguinnis, how about that game on on Thursday, the Calves and the Thunder again. Everyone the NBA world will certainly be be watching that.
Speaker 1: Well, obviously the cliche would be potentially finals preview, but I'm sure Boston will have something to say about that. But nonetheless, those two teams have the best records. They just had a great game. This could have been a trap game for him, But no, I thought the Sixers young guys really, other than the turnovers, showed themselves. Well. Here is I believe coach Nick nurse.
Speaker 3: You know, for most but then we had a little you know, a couple of rebounds.
Speaker 4: We got three stops to start the fourth, but they got offensive rebounds on all of them. We had a couple of turnovers as well, so we kind of didn't take advantage of our possessions as a key to the game. And we certainly started off early just handed them the ball, all right, And then we had a little spat of that in the fourth as well, which kind of opened the game back up. But for the most part, you know, some of these guys played played pretty good, played played pretty hard, and executed pretty well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really good. I mean, I think he's uh really really improving again.
Speaker 4: He seems to. He gives a really good effort on the defensive end. He's capable of guarding, you know, lots of lots of positions defensively, He's got a good feel offensively, again, the ball finds him because he's moving at the right to the right place at the right time. I thought he took a good number of threes that were there. I thought he drove when he was supposed to. I thought he got off at when he was supposed to the most part. So yeah, really really good bright Spot there did the tomorrow's game to back to back play into Paul, Uh, Maxie and and Kate did not playing tonight? Well, I don't know, listen, I I kind of always play Who's available? Right and uh I was told that by the time the game started, those three guys were out and so they weren't available.
Speaker 3: Well did you reactul, you inspect them to be tomorrow They don't have don't have an update yet on for tomorrow.
Speaker 1: What was your reaction when you found out before the game that those guys were not available?
Speaker 2: Unless you've been missing eight guys.
Speaker 3: Toll, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: My reaction is is about the same as it's you know, been most.
Speaker 1: Of the year.
Speaker 4: As you take a little bit of a gut punch, and then you regroup and figure out the starting lineups, and you figure out the rotations, and you figure out if what needs to change on the game plan uh as quick at as quick as possible and uh and then go play.
Speaker 3: Yup got third.
Speaker 2: Quarter plash the year? What really stood out to you?
Speaker 4: Well, we we got good shots almost every possession, right, we just we just I mean, yeah, we threw one or two in late in the shot clock, but most of them we just kept moving it. We were getting off the ball. We weren't trying to over dribble it when we were guarded. We were we were moving to the next side, moving it again and running next action. And then the guys were I thought they were hitting the paint and they play, They play really good. You know, they send a lot of bodies to the paint once you once you're in there, so you got to find a way to get get it out.
Speaker 3: And I thought our guys did a good job of.
Speaker 4: Getting up and over and out and relocating to be open on the perimeter to again create good shots. That guys just did a much better job of reading what was there.
Speaker 2: Sixers coach Nick Nurse Final score, Final score, the Thunder one eighteen, the Sixers one out two. This is our Parks Casino post game show. Tom McGinnis Nick Nurse talking about Justin Edwards and his career game of twenty five points. They liked him coming out of the draft. He went undrafted after one season at Kentucky. He is from Philadelphia, as I'm sure a lot of people know, had to be cool to play in front of iverson same for Jeff Dowton, who grew up idolizing Iverson. Both of those guys had career nights. I just saw Iverson in the back on his way out after the game. You grew up watching him too, right, I did.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: When the Sixers were in Sacramento, it reminded me of coming here. My brother was a ball boy for one game against the Kings in two thousand and three, and it was Iverson against those Doug Christy, Mike Bibby Kings, that Mike Bibby King's team, but both of those guys. I got two tickets. My dad and I sat with the thundersticks behind the basket. So I remember and get this. I don't know if I mentioned this to you, but I think I said it during the halftime show that King's game. Sixers took one to three in that entire games in two thousand and three, and now the Celtics average fifty a game. But yeah, the good effort I mean, especially from those guys, but from the Sixers team overall without eight players. Any final thoughts heading into New York.
Speaker 1: Well, just like forget the Knicks for a second, but like justin like Coach was saying, I'd like to see him more. And then as goes the NBA season, like it eventually guys play right, I mean, because of all injuries, any number of reasons. And it's got to be a huge confidence boost for him because I gotta I gotta tell you, like even in training camp and like the primary part of his game is shooting. But eventually his coach said, you got to be able to guard, and he's proven that he could do that. Coach just louded him for that. But even in the Bahamas, he didn't he didn't shoot the ball well. And then like just two three weeks ago, coach Nurse was saying he didn't know what he was. And for a coach to say that about his own player, that's you know, it sounds like that's not well. He hadn't played enough, he wasn't sure, he wouldn't been able to define him. Now he has and he's beginning to, you know, check some boxes. And then you know, for a young player, the big part is can you be trusted in a big game, And he's starting to prove that. You know, for spot minutes, he might be all up to come out there and make a shot.
Speaker 2: He had a game for Kentucky last year against Alabama, who went to the Final four. He went he had twenty eight points. He went ten for ten from the field, four for four from three. I think his only miss was one of his handful of free throws. So he's not afraid of the moment. I mean, one of the best players in high school on the circuit, one of the top ranked players. And the Sixers, they they knew, they scouted him for the draft. They were excited to get him right after the draft undrafted, but they wanted to see what he could do lately after honing his skills with the Blue Coats.
Speaker 1: Yeah to you say, not afraid, like I love that about players, Like they just they hoop right like. But on the other hand, there was a couple of drives where he had shay whoop. Yeah, ranked it a rim but no, but like you know, obviously he's one of the best players in the NBA. It's so good and he was, I mean, he made it look so easy, right sgat. Let's be on. That's they jumped out with thirty seven points in the open quoter. He was ten for ten before he missed. That's party. They let their guyard down a little bit right.
Speaker 2: Half as many free throws for him as the last game, but he controls the pace of the game so well. Some of those were and ones. He goes seven for eighty, gets a game high thirty two points. It's not always like three point shooting, obviously, JAM but although he's doing better in that era, again.
Speaker 1: He's an elite, world class player. He's like I said, he's right there for MVP was the runner up a year ago. But he's like MAXI. He's first one in, last one out. He puts in so much work and when you couple that with an unsatiable you know, drive and competitives, you you get one of the best most talented players in the league. And they're a remarkable story. And they still have a war chest of draft picks, including if I'm not mistaken, thus Sixers pick this year, right, it's the Sixers.
Speaker 2: It's the Thunders pick unless it's in the top six, Okay, and then it would be the Sixers pick. Sixteen point loss for the Sixers at home to the Oklahoma City Thunder who are a league a Western Conference best thirty three and six. Matt Murphy and Tom McGinness here on our Parks Casino postgame show. Hartin's dine a big second half, rebounding eleven out of his sixteen boards with nine points tonight. He's a former New York Nick. Now the Knicks are coming here tomorrow night. They had a big win over Milwaukee and then lost the second end of the back to back too and upstart Detroit Pistons team yesterday. But we know what the Knicks are about. They they don't have a ton of depth, but their starting lineup is incredible. Karl Anthony Towns is the reigning Eastern Conference Player of the Month. Bruntson the head of the snake, as they say, and Bridges coming off rebounded well from a couple rough shooting games.
Speaker 3: We got a great year though.
Speaker 2: Yeah against this Okay s team, he had an nine over seven from three games.
Speaker 1: Before that incredible stretch. They're you know, like the playoffs were amazing, like for them, right, I mean nobody. I talked to Dante DiVincenzo in the preseas when the Sixers were in Iowa playing the or the Wolves, and you know that second game. They'll never forget that at the Garden and Hartenstein was a big part of that. But as you say, now they have towns. But what I remember too, first of all, they've already come in here and beat the Sixers this year. What I remember is last year, the first matchup was in January, and you know, you're thinking, oh, whatever it was. Then they go, this is the Sixers, and they came out and they played so hard and they were sprinting Plastic City. They dominated, and that I remember then talking to coach subsequently, and then they won the second game here and when we were in New York and I was talking to coach and we were doing our pregame and I was saying something whatever I said, like framing it like tonight a tough one against the Knicks, and like he knows more than anybody, He's like, yeah, like we better like he was talking about, we better get back. They sprinted by us. Like if that doesn't wake you up, that's how they play there. I mean, you know, you know under coach TIBs, they're going to play hard. So so hopefully the Sixers will have a couple more of those players, if not more than a couple in the game, that would be certainly beneficial. But another huge game. They're always key against the division rival it's going to be a tough one, to be sure. And that that's you know, the second nd of a back to back for the Sixers, but just against the Knicks. And now you know, it's not just Boston you got to get by. It's not just Cleveland. I mean the Sixers obviously in eleven. There's a lot of teams they gotta get by. But you're not going anywhere unless eventually you can beat New York. And that's here we go with a matchup tomorrow against them.
Speaker 2: And here we go looking at the injury report as well, right because then Bead's day to day with the foot sprain. He was listed as out for this one, but Maxi and Paul George were late ads to it. Max would say the handsprain from the Orlando game, and Paul George was right ankle soreness.
Speaker 1: And here comes Justin Edwards out and right before the game and coach and again he's being optimistic, but he said Joel is day to day and hopefully have a good day tomorrow and be able to play. So he didn't rule them out.
Speaker 2: So we shall see the New York Knicks here tomorrow night. Tonight A lost to the Thunder Tom Againnis, thank you as always, all right night Murph one eighteen one oh two. The final score SGA thirty two points for OKC, Jalen Williams with twenty four and Justin Edwards, who is back out on the court right now taking photos signing autographs with some young fans. The Philly native had a career high twenty five points to lead the Sixers. He shot nine of sixteen, four for nine from three, and three for four at the line. He had six rebounds and four assists along with his twenty five points. We'll have audio highlights of this game, stat of the game, box score breakdown from the Sixers and the Thunder. On the other side, the Sixers fall one eighteen one oh two. And this is the Parks Casino postgame show Sixers and the Thunder tonight in South Philadelphia. It's the front end of a back to back which brings the New York Knicks to town tomorrow night. The Thunder are the first place team in the West. They get another chance at Cleveland, the top team in the East, on Thursday at home after they wrapped up a four game road trip Tonight against a Sixers team that did not have its Big three of Embiid, Maxie and Paul George and did not have the services of five other players either, and that goes down the list of Andre Drummond, both Martin's, Kyle Lowry, Jared McCain. Of course, so Maxie and George were added to the injury report today and did not play in this game against Shay Gildess, Alexander and the Oklahoma City Thunder. Matt Murphy back with you on the Parks Casino postgame show after this Sixers Thunder game. Let's hear how it sounded as called by Tom McGinnis. All the key plays in this one and of course the end result. Sixers Thunder in Philly. The Sixers in blue uniforms the Thunder in orange. Sixers use their twenty fourth different starting lineup. They were facing a Thunder team without Chet Holmgren, Aj Mitchell and their first round pick number twelve over yall Nicola number twelve overall, I should say Nicola Topiic Sixers started Reggie Jackson, Eric Gordon, Kelly Oubrey, Junior gershaon Yabusele, and Ricky Council, the fourth who made his first career NBA start against this Oklahoma City defense, which is the top ranked defense in the NBA. Alan Iverson was in attendance along the right baseline and council in his first start as in the NBA with an and one on that side of the floor.
Speaker 1: In the lelank Hearts team. But yaboo good to hand on that ubre steals it. Six is going left to right, Ricky Council in the lelane. Rimy good and he's foul. Kind of threw that up over his shoulder after they made the foul call, and he's gonna go to the line for which could be a three point played, a chance for the Sixers to pull them within one.
Speaker 2: Ten to nine game Oklahoma City Council in thirty five minutes and twenty three seconds had thirteen points, four rebounds, four assists on five of fifteen shooting, took eight threes, making one, and he went two for three at the line. Now soon after shake Gildess Alexander who's second in the or third in the NBA and steals per game, coming in at two a game behind Tyrese Maxy, who among eligible players is second two point one. Paul George's fourth at one point nine steals per game. These are two of the best at that. They're the two best at forcing turnovers. The Thunder average the most steals as a team. He had a steal to Jalen Williams got it back for a twenty nine to eleven lead, and then after a missed three by Williams, Shake Gildess Alexander second chance three gives the Thunder, who never trailed in the game, the largest lead of the night.
Speaker 1: Jalen Williams too hard with a three attempt, Paul Lucy George gets it to thunder Or to get back on d but Gilgess Alexander comes back and nails a triple and the Sixers hearing it a little bit from the crowd, the nurse is gonna take a time out.
Speaker 2: It was thirty two to eleven. That was on a twenty two to two run for the Thunder, who took a thirty seven to twenty one lead into the second quarter in Philly. Justin Edwards, though, had a quick nine points off the bench in this game, and here's how he got there.
Speaker 1: Alex Caruso for three. No good at Damn Bona with a rebound. I'll let Justin Edwards. Here's Edwards down l l ain't up in good nifty move timeout thunder nine fifty three to go in the first half. That makes it a forty two to twenty seven game, and Justin Edwards leads the Sixers with nine points.
Speaker 2: He made nine field goals overall at the by the end of the night, nine for sixteen for Edwards, four for nine from three, three for four from the line. We'll hear more from him on his career night of twenty five points. Right after that, Gershan Yambusele made it a twelve point game with a three. Eric Gordon made it a nine point game with a three, but Oklahoma City pushed out in front again. And that steal connection of Shake Gildess Alexander that I was talking about defense leading to offense for the thunder, Well that happened right before the halftime buzzer.
Speaker 1: Oh, Gildes Alexander steals it. He's got two seconds, he cruises it and duncts it with point three. So they steal it and score it, and it's now halftime as the Sixers are down fifteen fifty eight.
Speaker 2: To forty three. Gildas Alexander didn't miss a shot in the first half, eight for eight, made his only three missed one free throw, two for three, nineteen points in the first half in seventeen minutes for Shake Gildess Alexander Thunder fifty eight six Ers forty three, and in the third quarter, the Sixers gave up the first four points of the third and there was a quick time out from Nick Nurse, which also included Justin Edwards coming back into the game. Kelly Oubre Junior had a basket that was followed up by and Isaiah Hartenstein offensive foul and Edwards, freshly back into the game, tease it up for what was a new career high.
Speaker 1: Edwards for three and that's good. He is now six and eight in the game is second three. He's seen some sparks, but tonight Justin Edwards turning that opportunity into a flame, as he's got a career high fourteen his career.
Speaker 2: I was eleven in that Brooklyn game on the road where he made three threes. He made four tonight. He's averaging about twenty points per game in the G League with the Delaware Blue Coats. The Sixers affiliate sixty three forty eight OKC with the lead and they would cut it the Sixers would cut it back to eleven later in the quarter courtesy of another two way contract player where you can play with the Sixers and the Blue Coats up to fifty NBA games in a season. You can do that on a two way contract. Jeff Dalton Junior and Justin Edwards plus Pete Nance again are those players for the Sixers. All played in the game tonight, and Dalton Junior, who had a career night. His three gets the Sixers within eleven.
Speaker 1: Tied remy no rebound Yabusele. Two Thunder team members go down y'a bucele from the corner, oh Rickey council with a second offer offensive rebound, house of doubt, and he made it and the Crown loves it. And with that the Sixers cut it to eleven.
Speaker 2: Seventy eight to sixty seven. That was answered by a shay and one. Jeff Dalton Junior from Upper Marlborough, Maryland, grew up idolizing Iverson who was watching from the base line, and Dalton would go to Wizards games anytime Iverson was playing there with the Sixers his previous NBA career high. He's played for five different NBA teams, including with the Raptors and Nick Nurse was twelve points and tonight eighteen for Jeff Dalton Junior twelve. In this second half, it was seventy eight sixty seven. The Sixers trailed after his three, but again Sga with an and one. But at the end of the third is where things got really interesting, because the Sixers ended it on a fourteen to four run and Gershon Yabusele was at the center of it all.
Speaker 1: He has it outside right now a Gershan Yabusele drives it, cups it down the lane. Nothing good, what a rucket move. Sixers trying to get back on d They've made it an eight point game and they steal it. Doubt Junior for three Ruby no Gershan reers. He put it at the buzzer. What a play, Yabouselee with two straight hoops he scored it. The Sixers stole it. Jeff Doubt Junior got a three he missed, and yabusel putting it in to make it a six point game. He scored it with under a second to go.
Speaker 2: In the third, seventeen points for Yabu. It was a six point game heading to the fourth. After a thirty eight twenty nine third quarter that favored the Sixers, Yabusele coming up big at the end without eight players in this game, it was eighty seven eighty one Thunder going to the fourth quarter. Sixers would use a timeout in the fourth when it was a double digit game again at ninety seven eighty seven, but the Thunder came out of that with a six to' oh run before a and one from Kelly Ubre. Eleven point game again.
Speaker 1: Six minutes to go in the game, six Ers down by fourteen. Ubre down l ain't good and he got inside lou Dort and in Kelley. Ubre started h for eight and now he's two for ten of the game. He has missed all four of his threes. He's going to the line lou Dort with the foul.
Speaker 2: Ubre did not reach double digit, scoring eight points, but he did have a game high four steals. Cason Wallas of the Oklahoma City Thunder had a double digit fourth quarter alone, and this one officially kind of put things out of reach as he caps a twenty five run overall.
Speaker 1: Gildas Alexander with a ball cross court to the near side. Cason Wallace for three, and that'll do it. He knocks down a three, his second in the game, what a five by Shay Gildess Alexander his eight ninth assist, and with d with four oh four to go, they lead one to eleven ninety two.
Speaker 2: Best game of the year for Cason Wallace, who shot seven of ten eighteen points, five rebounds, four assists. He was a plus twenty seven and thirty four minutes as a starter for these Thunder, sharing the backcourt with Shay Gildess. Alexander. Cason is the cousin of Sixers player development coach Terrell Tris and if his name sounds familiar, he was a twenty twelve NBA champion as a player on the Lebron Heat. They beat the Oklahoma City Thunder in the twenty twelve NBA Finals. Wallace eleven points in the fourth quarter and the Thunder win one to eighteen one oh two. They are thirty three and six. The Sixers are fifteen and twenty three. We'll finalize our postgame coverage presented by Parks Casino when we come back after a one to eighteen one oh two Sixers loss to the first place in the West Oklahoma City Thunder. Here on the Sixers Radio net are Sat well. Stats of the game tonight are the career high scoring nights for Justin Edwards and Jeff Dalton Junior twenty five for Edwards, eighteen for Dowbton. Those there NBA career high scoring totals. Edwards has a thirty four point game multiple thirty point games for the blue Coats this year in the G League. Talked about his perfect shooting twenty eight point game for Kentucky last season against Alabama. Dalbtlin had a forty one point playoff game for the Blue Coats just last season. It comes in a losing effort one eighteen one oh two for the short handed Sixers here in Philadelphia to the Oklahoma City Thunder, who have won three straight. The Sixers played without eight players, including mbid, Maxie, and George. The game high scorer was Shay Gilgess Alexander thirty two points. Leading rebounder was Isaiah Hartenstein, now of the Thunder formerly of the Knicks who are here Tomorrow night. He had sixteen with his nine points, and Gildess Alexander had a game best nine assists with his thirty two points. Knicks Tomorrow Night schedule overall includes another back to back on the weekend on the road against the sixth place Pacers and the fifth place Milwaukee Bucks. Pacers had a six game winning streak snapped tonight against the first place Cavaliers in the East. Matt Murphy here with you, wrapping up our seventy six Ers Parks Casino postgame show. That Cavaliers game was Cleveland won twenty seven Indiana one seventeen to snap the Pacers six game winning streak. Thirty five points for Donovan Mitchell on a Cleveland team that is now thirty four and five. And we'll visit these thirty three and six Oklahoma City Thunder on Thursday night, so that will be the rematch from the game the Cavs won six days ago. But the Sixers back at it against the Knicks tomorrow. Here. Knicks are twenty six and fifteen and third place in the East. They won the first game of the season between the two here in Philadelphia, and we'll see what the matchup looks like as the day moves along tomorrow with these rosters. But the shorthanded Sixers fall tonight by sixteen. And this has been our seventy six Ers postgame show presented by Parks Casino thanks to our engineer Betsy Deming, our producers Matt Manaaric and Brendan Petrilli, and of course Tom McGuinness on the call. Remember tomorrow's now a seven pm Eastern home start against the Knicks moved up, and our coverage here on the Sixers Radio network presented by Jackpot City Casino, will begin at six point fifty Eastern with Sixers and sixty before that on ninety seven five The Fanatic. Until then, I'm Matt Murphy saying so long from the center, Thank you for listening. We're back tomorrow. Take care,