Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkschen, I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshen and Dad. We may be virtual, but we were just together for the Thanksgiving holiday. But we're now back home after spending a wonderful time in sunny Florida.
Speaker 2: Wow, it was amazing.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure I was in the same Florida as you, Jeff, because when we played golf on Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, it was about forty eight degrees and howling wind. Would hardly call that sunny Florida. But no complaints. We had a great time. We hit the ball okay, actually both of us, not to worry, and we had a great time at Uncle Andy's house and everyone had a blast. The food was so good, the kids were so good. So hugely successful Thanksgiving and you got home in one piece, connecting through Charlotte, right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The first day we landed, we got there a day early and it was gorgeous. We had no clothes packed for the weekend for nice weather. We all had pants and sweatshirts, so we were able to go to the beach and enjoy it. And then you're right, it did get a little bit chilly from there. But then you're leaving out a crucial detail of the trip. You mentioned we played golf and I did not hear the end of it two three years ago when we were in Santa Rosa Beach and the old guys as you guys call yourselves beat the young guys by ten strokes, and now the young guys had our revenge and one were you planning on leaving that detail out.
Speaker 3: I'm really happy that you guys played way better than the last time. Okay, I still object to the fact that you had four players on your team and we only had three, and one has an artificial hip. Me Uncle Andy has a bad back. Even though he hit the ball a long way and Uncle Nico ran a ten the day before, we still only lost by one shot. You guys played well. You deserve to win. And it was dramatic, even though we didn't realize the time. But Michael Kirkchin rolled in what a twenty footer on eighteen for a part of when the whole thing, but we didn't even know how what the scores were at the time. It would have made it ten times more dramatic.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Yeah, absolutely more dramatic. And it was not an easy putt.
Speaker 3: Dad.
Speaker 1: You're right, you did have three players. But to defend the decision, we did allow you guys to play the different tea boxes, which you're entitled to as seniors. And I think every senior should play the senior teas because you just can't hit it as far.
Speaker 3: In That's Life, we used the senior tees six times out of eighteen holes. Okay, wasn't every hole. There were six select holes where we played the gray tees. Look, you're burying the lead from the whole weekend, jeff A. First off, I got on an airplane without a printed boarding pass. I got it on my phone. I presented it to the guy at the counter. I did it all by myself. Lane showed me how to do a screenshot, so the QR code wasn't just on my phone, it was on the photos in my phone, so just in case anything went wrong with the Internet, I still had my photos. This was a big moment for poor pop Pop. I got on an airplane without a printed boarding pass. Eduardo Perez needs to hear about this.
Speaker 1: He does, because this has been a very big hurdle for you to get over. In the technology of twenty twenty five, and you say, what.
Speaker 2: If there's no internet? What if my phone dies? What if?
Speaker 1: This all understandable concern in stead absolutely, but if you put it in your Apple wallet, it will be there waiting for you internet or not. And I'm so glad you made it and you were able to get where you needed to go without having to get a printer at the air Airbnb we were staying at, or have to go to a I don't even know where you would go if you don't have a printer.
Speaker 2: I'm proud of you.
Speaker 1: You've grown up quite a bit here on this podcast in two and a half years.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Jeff. Also, another great takeaway was that McKinley hope, you're a beautiful two year old. My granddaughter she got Santa a picture taken was Santa Claus. Now what I found How long do you think you waited in line in relatively cold weather to get a picture with Santa Claus? At least forty five minutes?
Speaker 2: I think it was between forty five and an hour for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, the part that I found amusing was that Santa had to go to the bathroom, so he left his post while people were waiting, And I'm not faulting him for doing this, but he came and waited in line in the little restaurant that we were all waiting in to eat and everything else, and there's Santa in line and there were only two bathrooms open. Don't you think that would have been a good moment for someone to say, Hey, Santa, people are waiting on you. You can go ahead of us first. Instead, he patiently waited.
Speaker 1: His churn agreed, Well, I think he marked everybody who didn't let him pass on the naughty list, So I think it was a test of anybody who didn't let Santa go there. And poor guy unbuckle that big belt and everything, but Santa made it out. Our cousins got some photos with Santa in line for the bathroom, but we got it with the big tree. And McKinley has not stopped talking about it. In fact, that yesterday was the first day of McKinley's Advent calendar, you know you get those little calendars right the doors. And also our Elf on the Shelf arrived.
Speaker 2: Are you familiar he came from the North Pole?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well aware of Elf on the Shelf.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so he has arrived in our home, and he's gonna get himself into very precarious situations. I will be sure to have some Elf on the shelf highlights for you come next week on the podcast. We're going once a week now in the off season, every single Tuesday you can hear. So I'll pull together some of the best locations where the elf got on the shelf. It's better than Jeff on a deck, right, I mean I offered to sit on people's deck and drink a cocktail and we could celebrate that way.
Speaker 2: That's not bad. What would you be?
Speaker 1: You would be Tim on the rim. You'll go dunk on people's basketball rims. We'll have to bring up a foot ladder, but we could get it happening, all right.
Speaker 3: We'd have to be a five foot hoop six foot hoop for me to dunk it. But that's another story for another day.
Speaker 1: Well, it was a great trip, Dad, such a great time had.
Speaker 2: I'm just glad to be back home.
Speaker 1: And we can't ignore what's going on in baseball right now, Dad.
Speaker 2: On Sunday, it's the start of the Winter.
Speaker 3: Meetings, right, and the Winter meetings are crazy three four days and this year they'll be in Orlando. Every executive in the world is there, and there are a million more executives than when I first went to my first Winter Meetings in nineteen eighty two, which, by the way, things have changed so much, Jeff. With the Winter Meetings in nineteen eighty in Hollywood, Florida, Roland Heman, the mischievous general manager of the White Sox at the time, put a sign up in front in the lobby that said open for business, and then he said, the White Sox made four trades on that first day. That's how things used to work. Guys would put a side open for business. And Jeff, back then, like in eighty two, when I first started covering, you go into the hotel lobby and all the general managers are there because nobody has a cell phone back in nineteen eighty two, so you just went up to gms everywhere and said, what's going on with the trade or whatever. Now you can't even find the general managers anywhere because they all have their cell phones. They all have, you know, their army of people next to them in their suites and they're looking up a million different things. Like in eighty two, though, Jeff, when everyone was in the lobby. It was my first full year covering the Winter meetings. I was scared to death to leave the lobby. So the Winter meetings were in Hawaii, and I am not kidding you, Jeff. I never left the hotel, meaning I did not go out on the beach, We didn't go out to eat, because I was so afraid, as a really young writer that I was going to miss something at my first Winter Meetings that I stayed inside the entire time. It could have been held in whatever Iowa, Idaho, it could have been held in North Dakota, wouldn't have mattered was it was in Hawaii, and I never left the hotel because I was so afraid that I was going to miss them. Can you imagine that?
Speaker 1: I can imagine you doing that, yes, and knowing you know, Dad, and knowing your commitment to the job. Actually, we had Ken Rosenthal on a couple of weeks ago at the end of the baseball season, So make sure to go listen to that if you missed it.
Speaker 2: It was fantastic, Dad.
Speaker 1: He talked about your work ethic in those early days, not that you don't have it now. You absolutely do, but in a different way. But I'm not surprised at all at anything you did in those years pre kids, early in your career, hungry as all, and I'm just shocked you didn't play pickup ball?
Speaker 2: Was there a court in the lobby?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we played a lot. We played pickup quite a bit during the winter meetings. Once I established myself and understood how to do the job, I didn't have to stick in the lobby the whole time. Again, Jeff, things have changed so much. When I first started covering, there was this rule, or there was this kind of philosophy. The general manager with the largest bar wins the winter meetings every year, meaning they stay out late, all the general managers drinking together, and that's how a trade ended up happening. Paul Owens, nicknamed the Pope, was the Phillies manager, but also at one point the Phillies general manager. And I'll never forget one night, really late, he's out with a bunch of other general managers, and he's in a coat and tie, and pretty late at night, he shows everyone at the bar how to do a hook slide. A hook slide, of course, Jeff, you do with your baseball pants and spikes. He did it with a coat and tie on to show everyone. Look, our guys today don't know how to do a hook slide. Let me show you how to do it. He did it in the bar at one thirty in the morning. Oh my gosh. He was such a piece of work. And there was a He called the writers once at two o'clock in the morning, the Phillies writers. He called him at two o'clock in the morning to announce that we just got Suitor in a trade. Now, back then, Jeff Bruce Suiter was the premier closer in the game, future Hall of Famer. Well, he didn't indeed acquire a guy named Suitor, but I believe the guy's name was Burke Suitor, not Bruce Suitor. And he woke up all the writers just to tell him we got Burke Suitor in a deal. They didn't think it was very amusing because Burke Suitter didn't turn out to be a massively important player. That's how the that's how the Winter Meetings used to operate, Jem. And then years later guys stopped hanging out at the bar, and they all hung out in the uh in the weight room in the morning, doing their their running and they're walking and they're all that. I mean play. The young gms are in incredible shape now. I think most of them played pick a ball. So they'll find a pick a ball court somewhere in Orlando, and I'll bet there are a bunch of spirited games going on between the gms.
Speaker 1: We need to get you on a pickleball court that have you ever played?
Speaker 3: I played once, but it was briefly and I didn't even know the rules, and I wasn't with a group. I just kind of joined in. It was bad. I know, it was a long time ago. I don't know if I'd be any good at it with an artificial hip. I can't move side aside very well anymore. But I need to take it up. It's an old man's game to some degree, although some young guys really play well, and Karl Ravits is really good at it. So I would like to start to play. Yet. That might be something I do for my New Year's resolution. Play pick a ball.
Speaker 2: Really, that's a good idea.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, you're right, Rabi is a big pickleballer, So maybe next time you see him you will have a couple games under your belt.
Speaker 2: You can have that taken care of.
Speaker 1: So that's for the Winter Meeting Sunday that all kicks off. Dad, You're going to be covering all the action from Bristol, Connecticut on ESPN, So make sure that you're covering or following along on ESPN to se Dad's coverage of that. Also, Dad, the big news that we're going to be covering more after the vote is had next week is this very big ballot, the Contemporary base Era Committee ballot, which is going to be announced on December seventh, the voting results. And this is a big, big vote that a lot of big names.
Speaker 2: Explain what it is first off.
Speaker 3: Well, first off, this is a special committee. There are sixteen people on the committee. I have been on four of these special committees in my career. It is a tremendous privilege. You sit in a room with three other writers slash historians, four executives from baseball retired and current, and eight former players, a total of sixteen people. That's usually how the committee is made up, and you go back and forth on all the candidates and it is a fascinating process. It is really emotional because there are players in there who are trying to get a teammate or a former teammate in. It's all very fair, it's very democratic. But like you have to get seventy five percent to get in on the Writer's ballot, you have to get seventy five percent to get in on this ballot also, so you have to get twelve out of sixteen. And Jeff, here are the Here are the players from the contemporary baseball era, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly, Carlos Delgado, Jeff Kent, Dale Murphy, Gary Sheffield, Fernando Belenzuela. Now I can make a pretty darn good case for all eight of them. Certainly the first seven that I mentioned would be a little harder for me to make it a Hall of compelling Hall of Fame case for Fernando Velezuela, even though he was amazingly good. But you know, Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens had ten years on the Writer's ballot and the most they got to was sixty four percent after ten years, got to get to seventy five percent their first year on a special committee ballot Like this was a couple of years ago, and I believe each guy only got two out of sixteen votes, got to get twow So this thought that Bond's and Clemens are just gonna cruise in on a special ballot. All I can say is it didn't happen the first time, and I don't expect any cruising in on any ballot this time either. We'll see, but you know, for what it's worth, Jeff, if you erase everything else, Roger Clemens for career value might be the best picture we've ever seen, and Barry Bonds for career career value might be the best hitter we've ever seen. And that we didn't see Ted Williams, we didn't see Babe Ruth. But it's hard to argue that when you're just looking at the raw numbers. But of course there will be an argument no matter what with Bonds and Clements.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dad, you know, I'm a child of the steroid era, and by that I mean I grew up my years of first remembering baseball was the early or the late nineties.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, and that for me, they have to be in the hall.
Speaker 1: I understand the steroid aspect of it, trust me, I know, but to ignore the heroes of so many people's childhood and of such an era of how big it was, We're not going to get into this now, but I am pro and I know I'm probably make an enemy here on the podcast, and that's not what we're out to do on this show. But it's just kind of the way I feel growing up in that generation, all of these guys that I watched so many of them on the outside of the hall. It just it's just said, that's all I'm going to say.
Speaker 3: There, I understand. And I voted for Bond to Clemens every year they were eligible, and I wasn't particularly proud of that. I just thought there was a tacit agreement out there that all sorts of guys are using this. Nobody is testing, nobody's getting in trouble, They're being encouraged to do it. And that's why I voted for bond to Clements. And yet anyone who doesn't vote for them, I totally understand. Let's just run through a few more. I mean, Don Mattingly was certainly the best player. I think he was the best player in the American League from nineteen eighty fourth or eighty nine, so for a six year period, he was the best player in the league after Keith o nandis he's the best defensive, third, first baseman I've ever seen, and won a batting title, won an MVP, and nobody conducted himself more professionally as a Major leaguer than Don Mattingley. Carlos Delgado, jeff Man. His numbers are amazing. You know, he had four hundred and seventy three homers, fifteen hundred and twelve RBIs nine to twenty nine ops. He's one of only fourteen players all time with those numbers. You look at the other thirteen, they're like the thirteen greatest hitters ever. So I think Carlos Delgado has a real shot to get in this time. You know, the first time on the ballot didn't go well. But I think this is why these committees are formed, so we can take another look at somebody who may have been left out of the equation. And I think del Got was one of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Dad, and it's worth noting too, if I'm not mistaken. Didn't he win Roberto Clemente Awards?
Speaker 2: He was so active, so much philanthropy.
Speaker 1: This is so important when it comes to our league that I know we don't necessarily exclude people if they weren't good guys, but I think it should be considered if they were a good guy. I mean, in my opinion, right, I think that should be considered right.
Speaker 3: And that, of course speaks directly to Dale Murphy, who's one of the nicest people who's ever played Major League Baseball, but also would compete to the end to beat you. I'll never forget Tom Glavin, who was a teammate of Dale Murphy, had to throw at Dale Murphy in a game against the Phillies when Murphy had gone to the Phillies. All right, there was a beanball thing going on, and baseball etiquette was Tom Glavin had to hit Dale Murphy with a pitch. Okay, that's just the way it worked back then. Okay, this is early nineties or so. So Tom Glavin threw it over Dale Murphy's head, way over his head, and did not hit him, and then walked off the mound, knowing he would be ejected for throwing at a hitter intentionally. But he couldn't hit Dale Murphy because he was Dale Murphy. But Dale Murphy was who never got angry. I never heard him say a swear word. One of the kindest people ever to play in the big leagues. He was really upset because it was Tom Glavin's job to hit him with a pitch as retaliation for what was going on on the other side, and he was upset at his former teammate. You should have hit me with that ball instead, he threw it over his head. Tells you a little bit about Dale Murphy, who, by the way, jeff three hundred ninety eight homers, stole one hundred and sixty eight bases, knocked in a thousand runs, and won five goal gloves. Only seven players of all time can connect all four of those docs. That's how good he was. And you know, eighty two through eighty seven, six year period, you know, he Mike Schmid were the two best players in the National League, and he won back to back MVPs in eighty two eighty three. So Dale Murphy makes a compelling case, and a lot of people think he's got a shot this year, even though he never made it on the writer's ballot. So Jeff and then Jeff Kent is on the ballot. I voted for Jeff Kent every year. You know, hit more home runs than any second basement in history, won an MVP, was a better defensive player than people think, wasn't the most popular guy in the world, which did not help him in the voting. That doesn't matter to me. I voted for him every year, and I voted for Gary Sheffield every year. Five hundred and nine homers and an ops of nine oh seven. Willie McCovey, who I worshiped growing up, one of the great first baseman ever, first ballot Hall of Famer, he didn't have a nine oh seven ops. And so Gary Sheffield, I think you know. Granted, he's got some extra curricular stuff there which no need to go into here. But the point is, Jeff, you can make a case, a really compelling case for seven of these guys being Hall of Famers. This is gonna be a fascinating vote, and we'll.
Speaker 1: Keep you updated on that next week onnes This a great game or what. But coming up next, Dad, we're gonna jump into one trade in this offseason thus far that actually inspired a team. Tim, We're gonna go on this state in baseball history. But I'm actually gonna take this one by the helm a little bit. Dad, I've got some to throw your way, and then we've got three cards in the bathroom. It's all coming up next, all right, Dad, tell us about the one trade that's happened this offseason thus far that totally just had you writing down another team tim, because these team tims have become the most popular thing on this podcast, and it isn't close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Cardinals traded Sunny Gray to the Red Sox, and the Red Sox are an up and coming team made the playoffs last year. At Garrett Crochet at the top, I think Sonny Gray is going to be a really excellent number two starter for the Red Sox. I think they really upgraded their starting rotation by getting him. I know he didn't pitch particularly well when he went to New York. I don't think that's a problem. I think he'll pitch exceptionally well in Boston. He had a good year with the Cardinals, and it's just another reminder of the Red Sox are in it to win it. They're going for it. They need another pitcher. They got a really good one in Sonny Gray. The problem for them is that Dylan Cees signed seven years, two hundred and ten million as a free agent with the Blue Jays, the defending American League champions, and he's got an electric arm. As we all know, he has some of the best stuff in baseball, you know, just a real plus arm out there. Now, he's just got to find himself completely because it's only a matter of time before he wins twenty games or wins the SCIO. That's how good. Dylan Ceaeses and the Oreel same division got Ryan Helsley to be their closer. So Alast really ramping it up because they pretty much have to. You have to stay current in that division because there's so many, so many good teams.
Speaker 1: Out there, and you know the Yankees, they never stay quiet during the offseason. They're gonna do something. They're gonna pull something together to keep that team rolling. So with Sonny Gray, Dad, let me guess, I got two opportunities here to guess for Team Tim. Are you doing all weather or all colors?
Speaker 3: Okay, We're doing the all weather team because of Sonny Gray because he kind of represents two forms of weather. Sonny Gray. Okay, right, So our first baseman is JT. Snow. Chip Hale is our second baseman. David Freeze is our third baseman. Sonny Jackson different than different. Sonny Jackson is our shortstop. Tim Rains is one outfielder. Kurt Flood is another Pete Gray. We're gonna Sunny Gray here twice, but we needed Pete Gray in the outfield. He's the one armed outfielder who played all those years. And our pitching staff is led by Sunny Gray. Chuck Rainey, who we mentioned remember two weeks ago, and he was teammates with Mark clear Yeah, Rainy and clear right. Ryan Weathers, of course, whose dad, David Weathers, also played in the Big League. So we have two Weathers on the All Weather team, Steve rain Wendy McCall. These are all pitchers, Jeff Storm, Davis who I covered with the Orioles, Ken Cloud, Josh Fogg, Rich, Gaylee, David Frat, Dave Frost, and our catcher is Fernando Lunar because that is moon related and the moon kind of controls the weather on Earth. I still don't know how that works, Jeff, I was never any good at that stuff college or in high school. But that's the All Weather team. What do you think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I only learned about the moon affecting the waves from that great movie Bruce Almighty.
Speaker 2: You remember when he.
Speaker 1: Pulled the moon in to be romantic, and then all of a sudden there was a tsunami across the world or something like that. Yeah, that's how I made that connection. Well, the All Weather Team Dad is fantastic. And we have to give a shout out to our friends at Billy Ball who shared our all Thanksgiving Team Dad on their They have an email that goes out, billy Ball is so fantastic, and Bill Chuck puts it together and he shared Dad our Thanksgiving or your Thanksgiving team Tim, which was really cool. So Bill Chuck fan of the show but also a huge baseball fan, and Billy Ball Dad is right up your alley.
Speaker 3: Right, Absolutely, Billy Ball is great. You should subscribe. Bill Chuck knows more about baseball than almost anyone I've ever met, and he's got a good sense of humor to go with it.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, Well, on this state in Baseball History, I have a bunch, but I know you have one you want to start with, right.
Speaker 3: No, No, you're going to do the whole thing by yourself, Jeff, all right, I'm interested to see what you came up with.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, we're going to start.
Speaker 1: In nineteen forty one, on this State in Baseball History, New York Giants named mel Ott as player manager who replaced another future Baseball Hall of Famer. Do you remember who dad as the giant who heads the Giants farm system, Hall of Famer Bill Terry, Bill.
Speaker 3: Terry, Yes, yes, yes, Bill Terry was a great hitting first baseman and a great defensive first baseman.
Speaker 1: Did Bill Terry make it onto our two first names list?
Speaker 2: He had to?
Speaker 3: I think he did. I think mel Ott is on our all short team because he was five foot nine, so we did five to nine and under that over five hundred homers at at five to nine. Pretty darn good by Melott. Not as short as Hack Wilson five foot six, but Melott, yes, on a lot of teams. Okay, who else? You got? What else?
Speaker 1: Fernando Valenzuela became the third consecutive Dodgers pitcher to win Rookie of the Year or player, I should say, because they had Rick Suttcliffe in seventy nine, Steve Howell in nineteen eighty and the nineteen eighty one.
Speaker 2: Fernando Valenzuela wins.
Speaker 3: It, right, And remember it was an injury to Jerry Royce that got Fernando Valenzuela into the rotation to start the season, and the first eight starts that year, Jeff were arguably the first, the greatest eight starts that anybody has made, certainly in my lifetime. It was unbelievable what Fernando Mania became in Los Angeles. The whole Mexican community was behind him. Every Dodger loved him. He was he was charismatic, he had great stuff through a screwball. Just go back and look at those first eight or nine starts in nineteen eighty one, just unprecedent. And of course the Dodgers won the World Series that year and Lee the way it was a rookie pitcher, Fernando Valenzuale. Dad.
Speaker 1: I have a couple of non baseball related on this states.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for sure?
Speaker 1: Nineteen eighty eight The Naked Gun movie premiere.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, love the Naked Gun Movie. I told you the story our pal Steve Russian, who's been on the podcast twice, once the first year, once the second year. He was in with doing a story on Sparky Anderson when Sparky Anderson was the manager of the Tigers, and it was right about the time that The Naked Gun came out. So Steve Russian is in there talking to Sparky and Sparky starts to imitate in his office Leslie Nielsen as the home plane umpire calling a strike, and then as soon as he sees what he plays it up. People really enjoy it, so they're Sparky Anderson doing the Leslie Nielsen impersonation. Yes, that was a really fun movie. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Dad, I just watched on the plane ride back from our trip. I watched the new Naked Gun movie with Liam Neeson that just came out, and you have to watch it, Dad. It is so good and so stupid in the best form of that word. My favorite one, I mean, there's so many good lines, but my favorite one was when the bad guy offers Liam Neeson a cigar and he looks at him and he goes, he holds it up and he goes cigar and Liam Neeson says, yes it is, Yeah, so nice.
Speaker 3: It's all from Airplane. That's where it all came from. Spinoff from Airplane, Naked Gun all that those guys were incredibly fine.
Speaker 1: Not specific to baseball, Dad, but in the same year nineteen eighty eight, ESPN aired its ten thousandth edition of SportsCenter, making it the most televised cable program in history back in ninete nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 3: Right, I started there in nineteen ninety eight, and I well, I know I had more hits than Ty Cobb in all my time at ESPN, because there was a time there Jeff one December during the winter meetings around that time, before and after I went on television. I'm not bragging about this. This was amazing. Twenty five straight days in the month of December. In December, twenty five straight days we had a baseball report of some sort on ESPN because there was so much stuff going on, trades, free agent signings. Those were the days when boy ESPN did baseball exceptionally.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and Dad, and take us back.
Speaker 1: I know you've told us the Billy Crystal host Sports Center story before a couple times on the podcast. But take us back to those great Sports Center days with you know, with Stuart Scott, or with Scott Van Pelt, or tell us another story of those days of making an appearance at that time.
Speaker 3: Well, Jeff, show you how much ESPN has grown. When I first got there in ninety eight, we had one studio and in the same studio and a very small studio was the Dan was Sports Center with Dan Patrick and Keith Oberman and others, and like, literally ten feet away is the Baseball Tonight set with Harold Reynolds, Karl Ravitch and myself and Dan Patrick would finish Sports Center by saying, and now let's throw it over to the guys in Baseball Tonight, and we were literally ten feet away.
Speaker 2: We would roll the cameras over right, the same camera.
Speaker 3: They just same cameras, just turned around and shot us. Now, every show in the building has our own studio, including Baseball Tonight. But back then, that's how it worked. That's how small the place was when I got there in ninety eight. He would just throw it to us and they just turn the cameras around and pow. Baseball Tonight was on midnight.
Speaker 1: Incredible well and last, but certainly not at least on this state. In back to baseball history, Dad, Cincinnati Red's first baseman Joey Vado won the Tip O'Neill Award as the best Canadian MLB player for the sixth time in seven years.
Speaker 2: That's pretty incredible.
Speaker 3: Right, Joey Vado was a great Major League player. I think he's going to be a Hall of Famer. You look at that career on base percentage, it is historically high. Yeah, and I always enjoyed being around him and watching him play. And by the way, Jeff, he has the most home runs of anyone with last name starts with a V. He passed Greg Vond with his final home run that he hit in the Major League, so he and Greg Vond were tied, and then Vado hit one more and ended up with more than anyone in the history of baseball whose last name starts with the V. Of course, he didn't know that, does he care about that, But dopes like me do, so it's all good.
Speaker 1: We'll have to bring a lot of the podcasts to tell him all about it, because.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, he would be a great guest.
Speaker 1: All right, Dad, let's wrap up today's show with three cards in the bathroom. You've gone down to the basement bathroom decorated with baseball cards, not only paper macheade on the great mirror there, but also all across and baseball gloves and everything.
Speaker 2: Who did you grab?
Speaker 3: What do you got? Right? Well, first one I came up with was Floyd Banister, who was a very good major league pitcher and a great pitcher collegiately and he had a very good career. And his son, Brian Banister, pitched in the major leagues. And you know how much I love those starting pitcher matchups, you know, Mike Mason against Ken Dixon, the Mason Dixon matchup. You know, yeah, how much I love those. So Floyd Banister's son, Brian Banister was facing Gavin Floyd. So the pitching matchup was Floyd Banister and Floyd Banister's son was pitching in the games. We got such a and I told Floyd Banister that story, and he actually knew that. I had reported that thinking this is the dubbest thing I've ever heard, But he loved it just because his son was involved in the equation. So yes, Floyd Banister, that was the first one. Let's see if you could remember this one, Jeff, I know I've used this before. Vance Law. Now, Vance Law has been on the All Courtroom team, you know, with Aaron Judge and you know Al Chambers and all those guys. Johnny Bench, you've heard that one. But what is vance Law's name? We had fun with his Law and Orda, right, George Orda was the second baseman and Vance Law was the shortstop for the White Sox briefly and the double play combination was Law and Order. How about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I just wish the baseman had a last name that could fit too. Varren Judge played then and was the first baseman. You probably would have absolutely lost your mind.
Speaker 3: Right Law Order Judge? Oh god, it would have been so good. All right, last one. Jeff is one of my favorite players. Tom Candiotti and speaking about Billy Crystal, I know I've told you this story before, but you're going to hear it again. So Tom Candiati, Billy Crystal makes a movie sixty one. It's a great movie. If you haven't seen it, I mean it's been out for years. It's great. The level of detail was amazing. So Billy Crystal, who loves the Yankees, loves baseball and really understands it, needs someone to play Hoite Wilhelm in the movie sixty one. So Tom Candiotti, knuckleball pitcher like White Wilhelm, had just been released and he was angry that he didn't get another job in the big leagues and it's like spring training. So Billy Crystal calls him and says, Tom, we need you to play Wait Wilhelm in the movie. So he says, of course, I'd love to. So they get him out there and Billy Crystal told him, now, look, Tom, this is a very authentic movie. We want you to throw your best knuckleball. Okay, no matter what, you throw your best knuckleball. So Tom Katiotti goes out there. He's only like in one scene where he's pitching to Roger Merris. All right, Tommy Jane, I think played or Barry Pepper. One of those two I should know played Roger Merris. Okay, so I think it was Barry Pepper. Okay. So he throws the pitch and of course Barry Pepper can't hit it at all. And then he throws fifty knuckleballs and Barry Pepper can't hit it because no one else could hit it either. Jeff, you couldn't hit it. I couldn't hit it. Ninety percent of the big leaguers couldn't hit it. So I'm not being critical of an actor who couldn't hit it. So finally Billy Crystal has to run out to the mound and he says, Tom, we have problem here. It's called videotape. We're gonna be here all day. Don't throw your best knuckleball down. Throw something that Barry Pepper can hit. Okay, So Tom has to slow down the knuckleball, and when he slows it down, he loses control of one and he hits Barry Pepper like in the back, and Barry Pepper goes down like a second and the entire cast and crew comes running out thinking that Tom Candiotty just killed the star of the movie. So Tom walks to home plate because the pitch had been thrown like fifty miles an hour, so and it's still hurt. Don't don't think fifty miles an hour wouldn't hurt. It hurt. But he's lying in the dirt and Barry Pepper looks up at Tom Candiotti and says, I should get up now, shouldn't I? And Tom Candiotty goes, yes, that was fifty miles an hour. You should get up now. So it's great. So Tom Candiotti Hoyt Willhelm in that movie, and he told me years ago he still gets royalty checks from the movie. And he said, I got a royalty check the other day for eighty seven cents.
Speaker 2: That's we're going shop, right.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he got a lot of much bigger royalty checks. But that's my Tom Candiotti story. Really good major league pitcher, very good knuckleball pitcher, and he appeared in sixty one as Hot Wilhelm.
Speaker 2: Do you know my fun fact about Tom Candiotti?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Is this how you feel all the time.
Speaker 1: Knowing something about baseball that nobody else knows? I mean, can I just can I just take this moment in for a second.
Speaker 3: Riley, get to the point. What's the question?
Speaker 2: National Treasure Reference.
Speaker 1: Tom Candiotti has the highest career war for a pitcher without having an All Star selection?
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 2: It is right? It is true. I confirmed it.
Speaker 1: I knew, I knew had that factoid in there, and I just confirmed it on the internet while you were telling your Tom Candiotty story.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is true.
Speaker 3: All right, we're going to do for one of the team Tim's as we move ahead, the all team of guys who never made an All Star team and had really good career Kirk Gibson, Tim Salmon, Jan Pierre, Tom Candyaty.
Speaker 1: Tom Salmon has the third highest WAR of any player, Tom Candyotty being two. Tim Salmon has the third highest. Tom Candiotti is two. But he's the highest pitcher, number one, highest career war without an All Star selection.
Speaker 3: Kirk Gibson.
Speaker 1: Kirk Gibson is five. Tony Phillips really number.
Speaker 3: One, so interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then rounding out the top five at four is Danny Darwin. Kirk Gibson, as you mentioned, is five. How crazy is that?
Speaker 3: Dad? That is so cool? That is so great? Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, well, Dad, I mean, I just we have to end on a high note with me showing up one of the world's best baseball experts.
Speaker 3: Jev. I'm really proud of you. You the research you've done over the years has been very impressive. I'm really it's really good how you are. I don't want you to be like me, because this is pathetic to be like me, But you're really picking up some good stuff here, Jim. Pretty soon I'm going to be just as good at country music as I'll never be any good.
Speaker 1: I was good to say you didn't keep pumping my tires anytime you want, Dad.
Speaker 3: That felt great.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, next week we're gonna have the results from that very important Hall of Fame ballot.
Speaker 2: We'll be back with.
Speaker 1: You on Tuesday, and then at the end of this month, we have a little special surprise for everybody who has been listening for the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: Wait to share that with you as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Jeff, I have to go because I have to put a car seat back in my car to go pick up Emma and Carson at preschool. Do you know how hard it is to put a car seat in a car? I mean, seriously, I know it has to be secure, but does it have to be that difficult? I have ten minutes to figure out how to get this thing in there. I don't think I'm going to make it, and I don't have anyone to help me.
Speaker 2: Definitely not going to make it.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you right now, hell on earth is putting a car seat in a car, or taking one out in the summer.
Speaker 2: That is hell on Earth.
Speaker 1: I had to take one out of my car Dad, before our Florida trip, because we took that one with us and it was.
Speaker 2: Thirty five degrees outside.
Speaker 1: Dad, and I was sweating perfusely because I couldn't get it out.
Speaker 3: Jeff, stop talking. I have to go do this now. I am in charge of picking up the children at preschool, and I got to I gotta get a car seat in right now.
Speaker 1: Wish me luck, good luck, Thank you so much for listening. As always, thanks for being a part of our family.
Speaker 2: Go Pop Pop, Go Go