Speaker 1: You are the perfect example of a woman that has constantly reinvented herself as someone who has consistently one upped herself. You don't allow anything to stop you, You don't allow anything to tell you no. And I respect and admire that so much about you, and I want other people to see that.
Speaker 2: I want other women to see that in themselves.
Speaker 3: I'm very excited today to introduce our guests and Jaday because each year the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue is a must have for many of us who appreciate the beautiful, talented, and inspirational women who grace the pages and are looking for the most unique and fashionable swimwear. And this year, Sports Illustrated, for some unknown reason, asked me Martha Stewart to be one of the cover girls. And I am extremely flattered and extremely excited, and we'll talk about all of the preparation I had to go through to get into those nine different bathing suits.
Speaker 4: But first published.
Speaker 3: In nineteen sixty four to fill an editorial void in early winter, the issue has become a cultural phenomenon.
Speaker 4: MJ.
Speaker 3: Day is the editor in chief of this iconic publication and works tirelessly to keep its readers intrigued, MJ joins me here at Samsung eight three seven on my podcast to talk about her road to Sports Illustrated, what it takes to make the Swimsuit Issue, and who is on the current cover.
Speaker 4: Welcome to my podcast, MJ.
Speaker 3: After spending two very hectic days with you in the Dominican Republic and having time to recover a little bit, I did actually recover, I think from that ruralwind job, and I hope you've recovered. But you've been doing twenty some models. How many pages actually is the Swimsuit Issue?
Speaker 2: I think it's about one hundred and forty yeah, and then.
Speaker 4: We how many different bathing suits?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, hundreds hundreds, yeah, hundreds, if not close to a thousand, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: And all different from last year. That nothing is the same. It is a high fashion issue. And the model some some repeats, but many many new faces that are familiar but gorgeous, including you, Martha Is.
Speaker 4: Including me.
Speaker 3: Well, let's see, let's give one picture of me in a bathing suit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's show, let's show everybody.
Speaker 3: These are called frames, these TVs that you can program with your own photographs. You can program them with fine art spetacular.
Speaker 4: I know they're fantastic.
Speaker 2: I need this in my life and high gorgeous.
Speaker 4: Oh I love that photograph.
Speaker 2: Look at your legs. Those are pilate legs right there.
Speaker 4: They are.
Speaker 1: That is I mean, everything is working like that hair, that make up that environment. That screams sexy Martha Stewart to me at that smile, look at that fit.
Speaker 3: Oh that was a beautiful house too, with that greenery and the white and the very tropical interior.
Speaker 4: It was an amazing place.
Speaker 3: And Ruven Afanador, who first photographed me in the early nineteen nineties for my own magazine but not in swimsuits, took all these beautiful photographs and he was so fun to.
Speaker 4: Work with extraor so fun? Would he have another one to show?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, this one sexy red Marilyn Monroe ish kind of pose in front of that beautiful stone wall. That was that was pretty.
Speaker 2: How beautiful are you here? You are?
Speaker 4: Is that Norma Kamali?
Speaker 2: That is?
Speaker 4: Oh, she's a friend and I've been wearing her bathing suits for many, many years. Those fabulous sunglasses and that fabulous body glove suit.
Speaker 2: Fantastic.
Speaker 3: See that's more the kind of suit I wear right and sometimes it comes all the way up to my neck and down to my wrists.
Speaker 2: I love this one.
Speaker 1: I feel like the photo is going to like it's just iconic body glove.
Speaker 2: This says everything about you to me.
Speaker 1: You're like chic, you're modern, your care free, you're exuberant, You're just like.
Speaker 2: All the things. Look at that water, I'm like looking at you.
Speaker 3: And they were pouring water over my head making me soaking when I was dunking constantly for that photograph, and the photographer was in the water with his cameras up to his chest, as were the technicians.
Speaker 4: Everybody's were you in there? Yes?
Speaker 2: I was. We baptized you.
Speaker 1: That's when you got your official baptism into sports illustrated swim see right there.
Speaker 4: Well that's what you call it.
Speaker 3: Well you studied political science. How in the world did you go from political science to the media business, in the publication business.
Speaker 2: Well I did.
Speaker 1: I was a probaly sign major. I was actually almost a double major with English, and my mother told me, you're never going to get a job as an English major, so you better, you know, you better do something that's you know, more marketable, and so I graduated from Mary Washington College as a poly sci major and with an almost double major in English.
Speaker 2: But I had always been a creative at heart.
Speaker 4: And which was the first magazine you worked for?
Speaker 2: In Style?
Speaker 1: In Style Magazine. I was hired right out of college as an intern and in Style, and.
Speaker 4: That was an exciting magazine.
Speaker 3: That was a time inc magazine which dealt primarily with fashion and beauty and the most gorgeous models and action. It's a very action packed magazine.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. It was. It was such a great time to work there. It was when it had just started.
Speaker 1: It just spun up from people actually, and so they were sort of like a fledgling standalone at that point. And so I got in on the very ground level and it was really really great learning experience too.
Speaker 4: And did you write to or just no Style?
Speaker 2: I was actually in marketing, I believe that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I was hired as a marketing assistant and always wanted to get into editorial. But that's a tough nut to crack, you know, without any kind of like connections, which I had none at the time. So I maneuvered my way, you know, into the editorial side. Because Sports Illustrated is also a timing or was a timing brand, Yes, and so I was able to kind of troll the job postings internally.
Speaker 2: So while I was in Style, you know, as an intern, I found this place.
Speaker 4: Were you drawn to the Sports Illustrated franchise right away or are you a sports person?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not a sports person at all.
Speaker 1: But I did love to travel and I did want to travel, and the job hosting said that you had to be willing to travel extensively. And when I saw that, I was like, well, let me check this out and see what it has to offer.
Speaker 2: And then I didn't even know it was for the swimsuit issue.
Speaker 4: Oh and it was a year round job for one issue.
Speaker 2: Yes, a year round.
Speaker 3: It takes an entire year to create this extraordinary franchise, extraordinary issue which probably made made a lot of money.
Speaker 4: For Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's done well over the years, for sure. It definitely is like a marquee property.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I think it was like the biggest grossing magazine of the year for Sports Illustrated.
Speaker 2: I would guess so.
Speaker 3: But you followed in the footsteps of some legendary editors. Julie Campbell, who was the kind of the mother of Sports Illustrated swimsuit. She created the look, she ushered in the era of the supermodel. And how important was.
Speaker 4: She to you?
Speaker 2: Julie is such an inspiration to me.
Speaker 1: She actually recently passed away this year, but I've had a relationship with her really ever since I started. She's very motherly to not just the models that were part of the brand, but also the women that worked there.
Speaker 2: It was her baby.
Speaker 1: She created this and really labored with it and so really looked after the people.
Speaker 2: Then that sort of shepherded it after her.
Speaker 3: Would you say the issues have changed drastically since Julie Campbell?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say drastically. It's grown exponentially, for sure.
Speaker 1: When Julie was there, it was it was an insert in the regular Sports Illustrated weekly, and then it became a standalone while she was there, in a calendar and a television show, all of which it still is now. And then the platforms, the different digital platforms evolved out of that, and social media and events, and you know, there's so many things now that exist differently than you know when it first started. But I think it's like the natural evolution of growth of the brand.
Speaker 3: So the magazine is still a paper magazine, yes, But is the readership bigger online or in the in the printed issue?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Online, for sure. It reaches billions of people globally. You know, there's actually quite a bit of content, additional content on our digital platforms as well.
Speaker 3: So how many of the printed issue would you be doing of this swimsuit? People have asked for autograph copies? Oh yeah, my family all they.
Speaker 4: All want to Not that I'm supposed to tell anybody about.
Speaker 2: It, you can try friends in a family.
Speaker 4: Now that we're talking about it publicly.
Speaker 3: On I'm going to need I'm going to need a little box of these signs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna have to order a few I think million more with you on the cover, Martha, I I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am for this.
Speaker 4: It's so exciting. How has it evolved. You've done a lot of new things. I mean, you had a transgender model on the cover last year. You've had your.
Speaker 3: I think was it your issue one of your issues that had the first black model on the cover.
Speaker 2: Tira Banks was on a double.
Speaker 1: She was on a double a cover on a double under Julie Campbell and then under Elaine Farley was the standalone Tyra Banks issue.
Speaker 4: That was a fabulous that was a very important She had.
Speaker 3: Her TV show right in the same studio on twenty sixth Street that I had.
Speaker 4: Oh ye, she was amazing.
Speaker 2: She's so incredible. What a superstar she is.
Speaker 4: She.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we've we've tried to really progress the brand and help, you know, move women forward.
Speaker 4: What was the most what was the most controversial issues?
Speaker 1: So I like to think about the conversations that come along with these very important covers. And there was a lot of conversation about the Ashley Graham cover when she first appeared, because she was the first plus size model that had appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated and on a lot of mainstream media publications as well.
Speaker 4: And she's very forward about her plus size.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, she's she's an advocate. Yeah, she's an absolute advocate. She's very proud, you know, of her body. She's very proud of what she represents. And you know, she really wanted this, you know, to be able to reach as many people as possible and talk to speak to inclusivity, you know, which is really important. So that was a really big moment for the brand, And I think Lena Bloom's cover was a very important cover as well. She's a black transwoman that we featured back in twenty twenty one. And you know, really like so many of the covers are critical, I think, to having different conversations about who we are as women.
Speaker 3: Well, it's especially in a sports magazine to have the transgender woman, very unusual because many colleges are banning transgender women from sports teams, and it opens up a huge conversation. Is there a lot of backlash.
Speaker 4: On that one or not?
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny because we reach so many people. The issue is always dissected heavily, and you know, there's going to be people that celebrate what we do, and there's going to be people that pick it apart.
Speaker 2: No matter who's on.
Speaker 4: The cover, They're going to pick me apart.
Speaker 2: Oh, they're going to love you, aren't that They're going to.
Speaker 4: I'm really going to be the oldest person ever on the cover of Sports.
Speaker 2: Oustri Are and you never looked better.
Speaker 4: The oldest person. Can you believe that it's only eighty one years old? For God's exactly?
Speaker 1: And that's what that's That's the whole point. I think it's important. It's important for I mean you to.
Speaker 2: Me, Martha.
Speaker 1: As you know, I've already professed my undying love and adoration. I'm total fangirl of you, and I say it loud and proud here. But you know, you are the perfect example of a woman that has constantly reinvented herself as someone who has consistently one upped herself. You don't allow anything to stop you, You don't allow anything to tell you no. And I respect and admire that so much about you, and I want other people to see that.
Speaker 2: I want other women to see that in themselves.
Speaker 3: Well, what was fun about the whole episode of being asked, first of all, was would I do it? And I didn't hesitate for a second. What I thought to myself was what do I have to do to make sure I look good in those bathing suits? I mean, you know, there's a little flab here and a little wrinkled there, and you have to make sure you take care of all that. I had only two months, yeah, from the time you asked me to the shoot day, the shoot day down in the Dominican Republic, so I had to really get on the exercise. I always exercise, but I really went to Pilate's three or four times a week. I ate a lot of salads, a lot of green juice for two months, no drinks at all, no wine, no drinks, nothing.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: And I had you know, I had my regular facials. I even got a spraychann which I never do.
Speaker 2: Oh you did, I did.
Speaker 4: I got a body wax. I waxed my whole body, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: And then I got a spray tan about a week before we went to the Dominican.
Speaker 4: I got a spray tan. But it worked, it did, It worked, and I and I really didn't feel uncomfortable that whole day, being you know, primped and prodded and paraded and paraded, Oh my gosh. And I just hope nobody was laughing and saying, oh, look at her.
Speaker 2: She tried to look like trust me, Martha. No one was laughing. We were all in absolute just awe and love of.
Speaker 3: You because it was a hard day because we had nine changes and change of venue several times during the day.
Speaker 4: In and out of the.
Speaker 3: Oh that pool was icy cloth. The only thing, the only thing. When I look at the pictures, I was only in one piece suits.
Speaker 4: So I was a little. I was a little sad about that, but there's always next year.
Speaker 2: Okay, come back for bikinis next year. I am not what I'm done with you.
Speaker 1: I have to say, though, in defense of the one pieces, I love a one piece. I actually find them more visually interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was looking at photos of Gizelle in the current Vanity Fair magazine.
Speaker 4: Great and oh she had that Versace.
Speaker 3: Bathing suit on with the hood and the long sleeves and real zip down.
Speaker 4: I'm looking for that bathing suit. Can you get me that bathing suit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll find that bathing suit.
Speaker 4: That bathing suit.
Speaker 2: Martha wants the Versace. We got Martha, the Masacci.
Speaker 4: It all says the great bodies.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, honestly, like I it's so many different types of bodies.
Speaker 4: But you know, sure she's very You're not gonna say.
Speaker 2: No, but it's true.
Speaker 1: I mean you have like Oh Macpherson and Heidi Klum, who were coined the body, you know, and then you have somebody like kay Upton, who is you know, got like this incredible body. You have Ashley Graham who's like this incredible curvy body.
Speaker 2: You know. I just there's it really is. There's so many beautiful body and the Genners.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, like there's everybody. It's everybody's so like wildly unique and special.
Speaker 2: It really is, like.
Speaker 3: And what really interests me is even with a whole mecho movement, sports illustrated swimsuit issues continued right through that whole time.
Speaker 2: Well, because you know how many women look at this magazine.
Speaker 3: Yes, a lot, a lot, And I thought that was great that you continued on, not intimidated by Oh women, women just can't show themselves like that anymore.
Speaker 4: They can't do this, they can't do that.
Speaker 2: Why not, Well, exactly, why not?
Speaker 1: Because you're proud of how you look, Martha, and that's why you're in this magazine and you're rocking those swim suits, because you've worked hard and you are so proud of your body, and you also are.
Speaker 3: Well, what I'm proud of is not not so much. You know, it's not a show off kind of proud. I've taken care of myself. I actually pay attention to my good health. I think if you look good, you feel good, right and you and you also are good.
Speaker 4: You're healthy and it shows.
Speaker 3: It shows in the glistening skin in the in the pink cheeks and the you know, the nice hair. Everything can't be like that unless you've worked at it, at least in terms of diet and exercise and seeing the right doctors, you know, making sure that you're a.
Speaker 2: Healthy person, right, you take care of the whole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And this encourages people to do that.
Speaker 3: And I hope that the one thing I hope that comes out of this for me is that I am encouraging other women who are are getting on, you know, getting a little older, that they realize that, you know, you start getting old the day you're born, exactly.
Speaker 4: But you don't have to show it, right, right, you know you do, and you don't have to.
Speaker 3: Give into it when I get comments about, oh, you know, she better stop using but I don't use bowtox except a little bit in my neck. I hate botox except for here because it really helps.
Speaker 2: Right, right.
Speaker 3: And and when people say, oh, she better stop with the bowtox and she better stop going to the fillers, you know, you don't have to do all of that either if you're good healthy And I have good genes too, so right, yeah, the genes.
Speaker 1: You have beautiful genes that's Polish.
Speaker 4: You have that polish, polish skinning, polish. Good couple exactly.
Speaker 3: So the SI issue has taken the readers all over the world. How do you choose locations? I was I was curious about that, having been to Madagascar in the summer, I wanted to go there, and then I understood that you had already been there. You go on all the shoes, do ye lucky? Do I know what's your favorite look at locale?
Speaker 2: I have a couple.
Speaker 1: I think an article would be one. It was the most incredible experience ever. I love Turkey. I think Turkey is one of the most beautiful countries on herd.
Speaker 4: Did it gorgeous?
Speaker 2: It's so incredible.
Speaker 4: What does that have to do with bathing suits?
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful just that you know you're gonna be out in the dottery.
Speaker 4: Did you take the plunge?
Speaker 2: I didn't take the plunge?
Speaker 4: I did? I went you did took the plunge?
Speaker 2: You know what? That's my Lafe's biggest regret not taking the plunge.
Speaker 4: Well was about a three second plunge.
Speaker 3: They just jump off the boat and you come right back out in a bathing suit. In Antarctica, with the icebergs floating all around you. I think it's a beautiful place.
Speaker 2: You want to know what's so sad? I'll give this little tidbit to you.
Speaker 1: I didn't take that plunge because I didn't want to wear a bathing suit in front of the cameras because they were filming it. And that was a really big disappointment I have in myself and that experience I never got to have because I was too conscious.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna wear a bikini next time and film it and put it on Instagram.
Speaker 3: And I want to see that issue because I don't remember that. I don't remember the the Antarctica shoot.
Speaker 1: It was was Kate Oupton. She was on the cover and we were down there for like a.
Speaker 4: Week shooting beautiful there.
Speaker 2: Everyone. If anyone could ever have the opportunity to go, they should go.
Speaker 4: It's really special.
Speaker 3: On So, how important are the exotic locations. I think they're very important.
Speaker 2: I do too. I think they're very important.
Speaker 1: And you know it differs year to year, but the location really adds an element to the composition of the photo.
Speaker 4: This year, besides the Dominican Republic, where else did you go.
Speaker 2: We went to Puerto Rico, we went to Dominica.
Speaker 4: What are the goals that you have for every issue that you publish?
Speaker 1: I mean, for me specifically, it's about empowering women, and it's about platforming women and conversations that really kind of liberate how we've been traditionally taught to think about ourselves. And I'm happiest when I'm encouraging conversations to be had about how people think of themselves and of others.
Speaker 2: As women.
Speaker 1: There's so many things right that we are kind of railing against, whether it be in career or personal or professional. You know, there's just so many things that we contend with, and appearance is one of them. And you know, I've heard too many times from women that oh, i'm a certain age, I can't do this, or I'm a certain size, or I can't do this, or you know, I didn't do this, so I can't do this, And for me, I find that to be the most ridiculous thing to say, And I hate I hate it for women that they feel that way, because you know, and you, for me, are the perfect example of someone who's never allowed themselves to be put in a lane or in a box, and you continue to surprise us at every single corner and every single path you take. And I want women to see that in themselves and that as a possibility.
Speaker 4: My dad.
Speaker 3: The advice came from my father. He was a very handsome, lovely man, father of six now and I remember asking him. I'm saying, Dad, do you think I can do it? He said, you can do.
Speaker 4: Anything you choose if you put your mind to it. And that's what he said.
Speaker 3: He didn't say, oh, you're fabulous, you're beautiful, he doesn't see He didn't say things like that. He said, put your mind to it, and you can do it. And that really helped me tremendously because I developed a kind of a fearlessness. And I think that that's what women have to develop within themselves, a fearlessness that that will take you to other places, try things, do things, go to places you've never dreamed of going to. And when people ask me my favorite place to go, and I always answer, now, it's where I haven't been yet.
Speaker 4: Love that you know I haven't been there.
Speaker 3: Yet, And because there's so many more places to go, yes, and I don't want to, I don't want to repeat, right, So I mean, I just won't go to the same old South of France every single year.
Speaker 4: There's so many other places to.
Speaker 2: Go, right, And is that to me?
Speaker 4: That exactly?
Speaker 3: I love the South of France by the way, She's like, just kidding, no, but it's true.
Speaker 2: It's like that.
Speaker 1: That is one of the most I think limiting, you know, behaviors that we exhibit. It is saying that, you know, oh, I'm comfortable, I'm just going to continue to do the same thing when you know, yes, it's a little risky, it's a little uncomfortable, but then you push yourself and you get to a place that you never ever ever thought you could end up being.
Speaker 2: Like on the cover of Sports Illustrated sup Suit And.
Speaker 4: I told my daughter Alexis, who's you know, pretty critical? She said, cool?
Speaker 2: No, I love it?
Speaker 4: Is that nice?
Speaker 2: Yes, I was so please.
Speaker 4: She didn't say mother, what what the hell? She just said cool? She was so great.
Speaker 1: It's so true though, because I sound like a broken record, but I really want to hit it home for women that are listening out there, is that that we are our own biggest limitations, you know.
Speaker 2: And your dad's advice was spot on.
Speaker 1: It was and it's applicable anywhere, to anything, to anyone, you know, and you're living.
Speaker 2: Proof of that.
Speaker 3: And my advice to everybody out there is that that evolution of yourself is most important.
Speaker 4: You have to evolve.
Speaker 3: I always say when you're through changing through, But it's also about when you stop evolving, when you stop trying new things. That's when you wouldn't have the nerve to pose for pictures and the Sports Illustrated exactly.
Speaker 2: You know what you're going to do for other women out there.
Speaker 1: You're going to liberate a whole mindset by being partiety, I hope.
Speaker 4: So how have the prerequisites for swimsuit models changed over the years or have they?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think they have. Back in the day, you know, you used to really just cast for appearance only, And now I mean, I know how I cast. I cast for the entire package. I cast for the mind, I cast for the voice, I cast for the goals, I cast for the achievements, you know, and appearance is really tertiary to all of those things, lots.
Speaker 3: Of things that you told me on the set. It made me feel easier because you are You're very gentle and kind on the set, even when you're pushing my boom, souprangling you, oh God.
Speaker 4: Man handling or woman handling.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna guild these hands. They've passed Martha's boobs. I'm guilding them.
Speaker 2: Choosing the covers, I locked everything in. Yeah, okay, yeah, I am you are one of on a cover.
Speaker 3: I hope so oh, jug and Rubin.
Speaker 4: Rubin came with quite quite a few. He had a lot of ideas, which was great, yes, because we weren't struggling to find situations and he took us to the right locations. Did he do a day of scouting or a couple of days before?
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Ruven is one of the most consummate professionals ever.
Speaker 2: He his his.
Speaker 1: Approach to photography is so special and unique to him. I always say he paints the picture in his mind before he actually takes it, so no detail is left.
Speaker 3: And he knew how to He knew where he wanted me to stand against that stone wall and on a stairway going up going Oh, he was above me and I was coming up a stairway.
Speaker 1: He really has a visionary He imagines it and then he executes it.
Speaker 2: It's incredible how.
Speaker 4: Many different photographers that you use this year.
Speaker 2: For different photographers.
Speaker 1: I had a couple of people, do you know the is shoots several shoots, Yeah, because I like to stick with I really do have a very tight knit group of photographers that I like to work with because they understand the brand, they understand me, they understand what I'm looking to get out of people.
Speaker 2: And it's those like those trusted colleagues.
Speaker 4: That how many years have you been doing the issue now?
Speaker 3: Twenty six Yeah, twenty six years creating one of the most fabulous, fabulous magazine issues ever. I mean that is it's an incredible and such diversity and such originality and such and you want to look at every picture. You turn the page, you look, you turn the page, you look, you study.
Speaker 4: Are all issues online now?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Everything is also online imprint and online, So you actually get quite a bit more online, I bet, which is very exciting for more at over to a sidear.
Speaker 3: And not only not only do we spend a day taking photographs, we spend a day the next day doing a video.
Speaker 4: And I liked the video very much. It was very well edited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the research that you did into the pictures, family pictures, professional pictures, it was it was very cleverly done.
Speaker 4: I liked it.
Speaker 2: I loved watching it. I loved learning all about your chickens. Yeah, I had no idea. I knew you had so many chickens, but I didn't know how many.
Speaker 4: Did you see them on the Today Show?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Oh, I had my silkies. On the Today Show we were doing a segment on chicks and hens, the succulents, sum vivums, and they wanted me to bring my chicks also, so I had a lot of baby chicks, the cutest chickens. I got so much mail because of those chickens. Are you working already on next year's issue?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we already are starting the process. It's our big sixtieth next.
Speaker 4: Year, sixtieth. Oh, I wish I had waited.
Speaker 2: So then, no, you're coming back with that bikini shot. Come on, you're alumni.
Speaker 3: I'll take a snapshot at the end of at the end of my workout. How many more months I had to do?
Speaker 2: You're you're an addict now, though, Come on, I know I am.
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 3: I have the best trainer, Janice, she is so great, and I go, but I go at a quarter.
Speaker 4: After six in the morning.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't sleep.
Speaker 3: I religiously. Go, I have not missed a session. She's she's incredible. She's there and you know, if somebody's there waiting for you in a studio she got up to train me, I'm gonna go there.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you it's working.
Speaker 4: It works.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It gives you a very nice straight back, strong shoulders, very nice legs, and the horseback riding doesn't.
Speaker 2: Hurt, right all that core.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, but that's really good too.
Speaker 2: You need to start.
Speaker 1: You need to do the marthas you're at workout. That needs to be the next Oh god, come on.
Speaker 3: But so you've decided to only partner with adverts who move the needle forward in these issues?
Speaker 4: Yes, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: So we started an initiative last year called pay with Change, and essentially we're putting our money where I'm out there, and we're asking our advertisers to do the same. And so we will not accept advertising from a brand that does not have an initiative to move women forward, whether it's in the public sector or internally within their own organization.
Speaker 2: That's good, and yeah, it is, it's really good.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's been really interesting because we found advertisers and partners like Mabelin have these incredible initiatives that really don't get as much conversation around them or notoriety as they deserve, and they're really doing incredible things. And by creating this initiative, not only do we encourage more brands to look inward in that capacity and do things to empower women, but also we're able to highlight and celebrate brands that are doing really impressive things. So it's been a really fulfilling initiative for us, which is great.
Speaker 4: So I'm anxious to see all the advertisers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so moving the needle forward, that's a strong statement, and you find that more and more companies are doing that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do.
Speaker 1: I think consumers really want to be associated with brands that do good and they feel that their money is not only you know, buying a product that they want, but that money that they're spending is also kind of reinvesting back into society. And I know, I like to see my money spent that way and give given an opportunity, I'm more inclined to do that, you know.
Speaker 2: So I do. I see a lot of a lot of participation.
Speaker 4: That's very good, and the criticisms that the Swimsuit Issue objectifies women. I mean, that's what it's supposed to be doing, right.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say objectified well sells a bad word.
Speaker 1: Well, it depends on how you consume it, you know, I think, like I think for me, what I find is like men and women look at pictures in this magazine and on this website and across this brand, and you know, it's it's our job to you know, re educate people as how they're going to consume this. No woman is ever done in the Swimsuit Issue because they're like, I'm going to do this.
Speaker 2: For the boys. They're doing it for themselves.
Speaker 1: They're doing it because they feel good, because they think it's a great career, because they think there's you know, there's definite benefits and a platforming and they can get their messaging out.
Speaker 2: But I would say to those critics, no, like you're you're wrong, Like think about this differently, Like, think about the women that are participating for exactly how you talked about why you were motivated to do it.
Speaker 1: That is, most women when they come to this brand, they want to be seen differently and they want to be heard, and we give them a voice in addition to taking some really dropped dead gorgeous photos of them.
Speaker 3: In twenty nineteen, you featured a woman in a BURRKINI unless you're the first transition model.
Speaker 4: So what was behind these these decisions?
Speaker 1: Just inclusiveness or absolutely absolutely like I am really on a mission to broaden the conversation around acceptance and beauty and inclusion. And women exist in many different shapes and sizes and forms and levels of modesty. And you know, just like we say, you don't have to be modest to be respected, it's okay. Also if you are modest and you still want to rock a swimsuit, you know, working with Helema for the issue, you know, she brought something very important to life, and that is that many modest like practicing how che wearing Muslims are not able to swim and they can get into very dangerous situations.
Speaker 2: Because of that.
Speaker 1: So by like introducing a burkhini to people that are that do practice modest dressing, you're not only giving them an opportunity to enjoy a part of life that they've never had access to, but they're also then able to learn how to swim and take care and protect them selves and experience a whole different level of confidence and you know, self preserverance that they wouldn't have known about it if they didn't even know this Borkhini existed.
Speaker 3: You know, well, I have a family member who has a special religious restrictions against going into the water unless you're fully closed.
Speaker 1: Not to mention people with any type of skin condition that can't take a lot of light or have exposure.
Speaker 2: You know, there's lots of reasons why. You know, more coverage and being aware of more coverage options are important to know about.
Speaker 4: You know, when you see the nude picture of the beautiful model who has bit al igo.
Speaker 1: Yes, Whitny whitty she actually shot for the issue. We've shot her, Yes, she's been in the issue. Her beautiful skin is really like I look at that, and she looks at her skin, and I think she treasures it because it makes her unique.
Speaker 2: It makes her the stunning version of herself.
Speaker 3: That she is, the stigma of discoloration like that could be so harmful, right, and yet she has helped so many people.
Speaker 1: It's celebratory as it should be because she's a stunning, stunning, stunning woman.
Speaker 4: What are you going to do for the sixtieth anniversary.
Speaker 2: That's a big that's a big question. A lot of stuff.
Speaker 4: Hopefully you have to have sixty people in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, I think there's a lot of cool things that we could do.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of you know, stories to be told and things that we can revisit and things that we can look forward to.
Speaker 4: Well, the magazine business is kind of a mess right now.
Speaker 2: It's a tricky one.
Speaker 3: I mean, Martha stewartly being magazine shuttered after thirty two years as a publication. We still have a vibrant website and lots of other things going on, but people miss that printed issue so much, and I would like to bring it back in special issues and things. We're working on that now. But what do you foresee for the magazine business.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we're I think we're kidding ourselves if we don't, you know, to say that it's definitely we're transitioning.
Speaker 2: This industry is definitely in a state of.
Speaker 4: Transition into the digitized world.
Speaker 1: Absolutely absolutely. But however, I do think this there's something very special about the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue. I always, I always, I cannot imagine a world where sports illustrated swimsuit exists and there isn't a print component to it, and you know, we'll continue.
Speaker 2: To evolve just like we always have. But whether it's a you know, do you know how.
Speaker 3: Many how many printed issues was that you sold in the best year.
Speaker 1: Oh man, in the best year before the inter internet took over?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Probably well over a million.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I remember, I mean I remember printing one point two million copies of our Christmas issue and selling out, And now a tiny, tiny fraction of that is sold on these stands. It is. It is a shame, but we have to go with what's happening. That's right. Evolution terribly important, and being able to use video cameras for pictures of a room. You can go see the whole room now instead of just one aspect of a room with a still photo.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting. I'm glad you're doing video in concert with the printed issue too. Yes, absolutely, it's so interesting. So has it changed your job a lot, this whole transition.
Speaker 1: I mean, at the end of the day, we're creating content, you know, and I think you know we've always been content creators. It's just thinking now in terms of how many different types of content we're creating that has changed exponentially. You know, it used to be just the static image, and now it's all different types. It's video as you spoke to, it's social, it's event, it's you know, there's so many different ways now we exist. But I think it lends itself, you know, to what we've evolved into as a brand, which is a place that really platforms women that are beautiful, but far more compelling and interesting and have something to say. Then you know, we're doing a disservice by just showing you a picture.
Speaker 4: You know, I have to tell you a funny little story.
Speaker 3: I have a special relationship with the University of Michigan's swim team, the women's swim team. My Massur's daughter is one of the stars of that team. So before a big meet, they call me, The whole team calls me with their coach, and I give them some pep talk.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 4: Isn't that fun?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, they're gonna flip out.
Speaker 4: They are.
Speaker 3: They're going to be so happy that Martha, their mentor, is in a bathing suit. So, now that you've worked for twenty six years, what I hate to ask you you're too young to ask what a legacy? But what do you think your legacy will be in the creation of these amazing issues?
Speaker 1: I mean, I really hope it like that people look back at what we did here and say, wow, they really they really helped.
Speaker 2: Change the world for the better a little bit.
Speaker 1: My goal in life, whatever I do, is just to leave it a little bit better than I left it. And you know, given the access and the position of power that really I sit in at the helm of this that reaches so many people, like I want to use that power for good.
Speaker 4: You have two boys, no girls, No girls, and what do the boys think of the girls?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's so funny. I have a seventeen year old and he's so shy. He really is so shy. I brought him to a couple events with me, and he just like he turned into the little clam He really doesn't even know what to do with himself. I really do keep my life, my public life, and my personal life very separate, so there isn't a lot of crossover, to be honest. But I don't know what he really thinks of what I do. I think he's kind of indifferent to it. When he was little, though, every picture he saw of a woman in a bathing suit, he'd be like, there's Mommy's friends. It didn't matter who they were if they were in a bathing suit. Was Mommy's friends so great?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: MJ, thank you so much for sitting down with me and for putting me on the cover of Sports Illustrated some Suit issue.
Speaker 4: I hope I can say thank you after I hear what people say about her.
Speaker 2: No, I thank you.
Speaker 3: The issue is on newsstands now and available digitally. You can keep up with MJ by following her on Instagram. Her handle is at MJ Underscore day g a Y, and the official Instagram handle for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue is at SI Underscore Swimsuit. Thanks MJ, You're a doll, so nice to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, happiest, thank you.