Speaker 1: This week on Bucco banner. Are the Pirates a wagon? Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Rock your one on one to see a couple of them in My tastes with he and my limit made because I let the way it tastes. Beth seats at the Pirates getting let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste.
Speaker 3: Oh why fee is.
Speaker 2: Alloyers my date to my dates or to stick by the plate? Send the case, have the case from my race at my pace cleared brans.
Speaker 3: We're back. We are back, and go back. We have more number, a higher number in the wind calm than we do in the lost column, a much higher number.
Speaker 1: I would say, keep winning. Man, I don't know what to do with myself.
Speaker 3: You asked in the intro. Are we a wagon? I think we kind of are.
Speaker 1: I think we're a wagon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jump on now, because later on in the year, when we're we're playing meaningful baseball, we're closing the door.
Speaker 3: The power ship is sailing, its sailing down the Allegheny. It's low tide now water went down. Ships sailing if you're either on it or not, So.
Speaker 1: What a week it's been, man, between the National Series and the Oriole Series and getting to go back to the ballpark so much fun. Yeah, it's been a great time. I mean, we've had some pretty monumental moments in Bucco Banner history in our short time on this earth. It's absolutely pretty great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we absolutely have. I mean, first of all, I think we owned the DC Baltimore metro area now. Yeah. But other than that, Yeah, it was a great weekend at the ballpark. We're gonna be back tomorrow, which is to begin the next week series against Detroit. I'm really excited for that. But like if if the last two days were any you know, foreshadowing for what this season is going to look like, it's gonna be a long one.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable. Man, things are looking up. We got to meet some really cool people at the ballpark. It was kind of a who's who of Pirates Twitter shout out Sacks Boy, Bobby Door and Ethan Smith Bridge October Guys Bucks in the Basement. If I'm missing one, I apologize, But everyone was super cool, super friendly. It's good to build that community help each other out. But everyone was pumped to be at the park, even though it was snowing. I mean, we really experienced all four seasons and the home opener. It was wild. Speaking of the home opener, though, before we get into the game, I just want to talk about one thing. And this might be a conspiracy. I don't know people are talking about it, but the Renegade Dog.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, Yeah, let's get into that.
Speaker 1: Put out fifty likes, got like two hundred likes. I ate the Renegade Dog. I did it on camera. Noah Hailes eat it on camera.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come on, redo, we're calling for a redo.
Speaker 1: I feel like the reason I bring it up because I feel like I gave the realist review there was. And Noah Howles and Alex put out a video on TikTok and Twitter of their review of the Renegade Dog Hanna Mere's eight one on television today. Are they giving the general public a different Renegade Dog than they are the pirates Hire ups? Yeah, I think we need to talk about it. I think they're they're like, you know what, just throw everything in a box for these peasants and then, yeah, you know, let's make the media. I think this is some glorious hot dogs.
Speaker 3: Rich get richer and the poor get poor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, it like they gave them these beautifully constructed foot long hot dogs and then they gave me just like a wet pile of dog shit.
Speaker 3: It really didn't look good. Man, prime example of incoming wealth and equality in this country right here at P and C Park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are we doing? Step up, talk about it. We need a rally together. But all in all, it actually wasn't that bad. Get a knife and a fork. I didn't want to do it on camera because I'd be crucified by the Internet. It's definitely if you're eating it at your seat, get some knapkins, get a knife, get a fork, enjoy it. But yeah, I mean, not much to complain over this entire week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that gained a lot of traction, and we quickly realized, like we're gonna have to do basically stupid ship every game. Yeah, because it's it's gaining traction, which is funny. But I'm I'm excited and also scared to see where it takes us.
Speaker 1: It's gonna end. I mean, I don't know if I want to say this yet, but it's gonna end with somebody going into something.
Speaker 3: It's good. Just say it with me jumping in the Allegheny River.
Speaker 1: Ye, it's gonna I mean it wouldn't. It wouldn't be to our surprise. But I mean I think people are realizing we'll just do about anything if the right amount of likes hit that Twitter. So keep following us, see what other stupid shit we'll do at the park. We got to meet Zach Campbell.
Speaker 3: Too, Yeah, Scott.
Speaker 1: Why don't you talk about that a little bit because there's a discourse around Zach Campbell that he's like this terrible guy that he.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, yields balls.
Speaker 1: From children and pushes people out of the way, and he gets like a lot of unnecessary hate. And I mean, honestly, going into this game, I think we were on that side without even meeting the guy and just seeing him on the internet. But he was at the ballpark and we put out a tweet saying a hundred likes and we'll box out Zach Campbell. Yeah, and right away it got like over one hundred, so easily he found him and Scott heldecco.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let's let's back it up a little bit. So it's funny. We saw him on the home opener too, and I was like, oh god, there's Zach Campbell, which is he reinforces our opinion that we were like kind of leaning towards the other way, right, and of course touches on the version of his three hundred home run would be you know, of course he's going to be here. And we we put out that tweet yesterday for the game two, and I looked at you, and you looked at me because we saw like one hundred and twenty two likes or something like that. I was like, we gotta do it, we gotta do it. Yeah, how are we gonna do this? So we knew he was out in left field. We walked over and we kind of game planned it there and we were going to do it like mid inning, like well no one while he wasn't like trying to pay attention. He after a third out, he got up and was like leaning against this hole and was like and we went up to him. We're like, hey, Zach, we introduced ourselves and blah blah blah, and then we're like, have a proposition for you kind of put out this tweet, right, and we told him the tweet and his head just dropped, like he looks so sad and like it was his reaction was really funny. I wish I could have gotten that on camera. But yeah, he was a good sport about it. He did it, and you know, he had fun with it, and he was very receptive and nice, and you know, wasn't wasn't what I affected. You know, you can feel I don't really follow him too much. I know about him generally, and I've seen him on the stuff on the internet. You can tell that he feels the hate because I think he said he doesn't have Twitter anymore because of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got rid of most of his socials or he doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, I mean that was sad. But again, I'm not going to act like I know everything about the guy. Just like our experience positive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, and when we put the video out there, we've got a lot of positive responses. So, Zach, if you ever on our Twitter page or if you ever get back on there on social media, you ever listen to this, the response was super positive. People do enjoy the work that you're doing, So keep it up, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: My second though, well, Scott, there was a couple of other things that happened. Yeah, this week before we get into the game, recamps a couple of roster moves and announcements. When do we get into that real quick?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do that before we get into the games. I few you know of news roster management items here. Joey Bart was acquired from the Giants for right hand pitcher Austin Strickland. Don't know too much about Austin st Strickland. I think he was in single A. But Joey Bart was recently defeated by the Giants, and from what I've read, Ben has been working on a trade for him since the off season. Like this wasn't the first time they talked to the Giants about very part. It's been rumored too like that he was a possibility. So Joey Bart was brought in. He has some ins or roots. His dad was a football player at Barrel High School. It's not far from here. It's an owhipul and I believe he still has family here and he's grew up a big Steeler fan, big Pittsburgh fan, I think, in general. From Georgia. Was a number two overall pick by the Giants out of Georgia Tech. One of the best offensive catchers in the college game at his point, and he was supposed to be the replacement for Buster Posey. It's been kind of rocky. And then they traded. They drafted another guy named Patrick Bailey in the first round who kind of took over that role. So change the scenery was needed and to make room for him on the roster. Colin Selby was DFA not too surprising there. It's been kind of rough for him for the past year. So Joey Bart is now the second catcher on the roster because Jason Delay is also on a ten day IL and I believe they announced it as like a knee contusion or there's something wrong on the lower half of his body there, knee ankle is inflammation, inflammation, Okay, so Delay is on the tendl and it's Davis and Bart and you know this is a number one and a number two overall pick. So upside is there for sure. Excited to see that. And then in other news, we had Jose Hernandez recalled from Triple A today. He actually started a season team. I think he had the first save in Miami, right, first team Sea. Yeah, so he's a guy that we thought should be on the roster. Anyway, Ryan Brookie, we'll get more into that had a rough outing yesterday. He went on the fifteen day IL. Was that elbow inflammation I believe, So, yeah, it's not something you want to hear.
Speaker 1: I mean, roll the dice on it. It's usually elbow related.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Ryan Brocki's on the IL. Josiernandez replaces in. But to us, it's like, yeah, another pen arm is down. But Jose Hernanaz probably should be in the bullpen anyway, Like he was a guy that we're kind of surprised wasn't up here. He was up here most of last year. Along with that, a lot of the minor league rosters all not a lot of them, All of them were announced this week because Triple A, you know, started on three twenty eight, three twenty nine, but all the other levels started on Friday the fifth, when we had our home opener. We had Double A, Hya and Singles, so we had Altuna, Greensboro, and Brenton all going at it starting their seasons. A week later, the four rosters were announced. We'll get into that later on the episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of stuff happening, but more so on the field for the Buckos because this week the boys were absolutely buzzing They started out in DC the second series of the season, on the road eight to four buckos. Mark O Gonzalez took the mound five innings, pitch for hits, one earned, two walks, two k's, fifty strikes on seventy seven pitches. Marco Gonzalez has gotten off to an incredible start this season. I was listened to Shelton's postgame presser today the last game of the Orioles series, and we'll get to that a little bit later. But people are asking, are you surprised about Marco given his spring? He said, absolutely not. This guy's a veteran. We tend to look too much into results, as you know a fan base. In the spring, guys are working on specific pitches, getting the rust off from not pitching all offseason. He's really impressed. And if Marco Gonzalez is contributing at this moment, we're going to be just fine given how everybody else is performing. But the Penn did pretty well in this game. Chapman came in and he's been absolutely gross. Yeah for the Pirates, probably been our best guy. Yeah, Chapman, he's been lights out, and it's good to see that Chapman strikeout stare down on the right on our side instead of going against it, because that would piss me off so much. If my team was struggling and he's just dominating like that. You know, lucky to have him here. Royansey got a bit of a he had two innings here, and I got a bone to pick with you, Scott on this one. I don't know if you remember this. I mean this is earlier in the week and a lot has happened the line on Row. He did fairly well, okay, and I will say again the Buckos won this game eight to four. He came in two innings, pitch, two hits, two earned runs, one walk, three K. The swing and miss was there. His stuff was working. Scott texted me after his first inning of work and said bullpen Row like explamation. Mark in the minute, Scott texted me that he gave up a home run, so I said, don't ever text me ever again. So you could blame that. You could blame that on Scott em but there's been some really encouraging outings from Row. You can tell he's a little he's getting more comfortable. He's starting to buy into that role a little bit more. And given his situation that he's out of options. If this works for him, this is, you know, a great way to come back.
Speaker 3: Yeah one numbercent I agree, uh I that text. I was really excited after watching that first setting because he looked really good. The villa was up, he was ninety five ninety six better or higher than he where he usually slotted it, and we expect him to hit those higher numbers in one inning stints right, his festival should play up. He was spotting up well and then just a mistake pitch ninety three on the lower half of the play right inner part of the zone to Riley Adams. I mean he his strength right there is pulling that ball in that part of the zone and he crushed it. So one mistake pitch for Roe that that game. And you know, I've actually been really pleased with what I've seen with him so far. But Marco, like you said, Marco has been what we wanted him to be or what we envisioned, like perfect scenario, a guy that induces a lot of weak contact and is able to eat innings, throw a lot of pitches, and he's been super efficient. He's eight innings and he's been a key arm for us. I'd say in our rotation, so really excited about Row, I mean Row and Marco. And for the bats, you know, this game, the bats jumped on Mackenzie Gore roll early and he actually settled in around the end of the third fourth inning and looked pretty good. Like I'm a big McKenzie Gore fan, but the bats jumped on him early, took advantage of that. And you know, Connor Joe did what he's been doing at the beginning this is and he stayed hot and you know, played a role at the at the beginning of the lineup there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seven for twenty one with runners in scoring position. Hayes, Cutch, Joe all have two out RBIs, which has kind of been the theme for the first couple weeks of this season. Hitting in greaton situations with runners on and two outs, not sacrificing an inning, giving up on at bats. We can go down the line on guys that hit. Everybody kind of participated in this game. Michael A. Taylor, We're going to talk about him a lot today, three for four, one RBI in this one. What an acquisition he has been. He should be the everyday center fielder. They haven't played him as much this week, and the reasoning was he had a short spring. They're trying to ease him back into it. But my dude is hot, and when you're hot, you gotta let the big dog eat. Because he is seeing the ball so well. He is such a smart baseball player. The defense speaks for itself. I'm really excited to see what Michael A. Taylor does for this team going into this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this was his return to National's Park. I mean, he won a World Series with this team. Yeah, and he you know, three for four and RBI. It was I think it was the first run of the game. It was a hard hit sack fly the left field. And he's been on the base paths, in the in the field, not to play it. He's not. He's contributed everywhere. He's been a really he's been a big bright spot for this team so far. So I hope that we don't see him out for two games in a row anymore because he's someone who I think is gonna play a key part of this team success. Also, Davis, you know, he had two doubles this game. This was probably his best game so far offensively, and it just seems it seems like he's taking in bad habits, old bad habits again, and we'll get into that more and more as we talked about these these next games here this week. But you know, hopefully he figures it out. He's a hard worker, and you know, you gotta believe in a guy like that that works hard and as athletic as he is, that he can make those adjustments.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, I mean, positive side, the defense has been pretty solid so far. The guys seem to like throwing to him, so not too concerned. Baseball can be a streaky game. Don't want to see him get too far down in the hole. But I think the confidence is still there in Davis, although he has had some rough at bats as it's late.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this team, they won eight to four Monday in DC to secure the five and zero start to the season. They scored five runs in the last two innings. It was pretty exciting last two innings there in National's Park. But then we went into Wednesday because we had Tuesday off. It was a day day off, and we had Mitch Keller make his second start of the season, and he seemed to struggle again a little bit. Five and a third innings pitch eight hits, four earn runs, two walks, five k's. I think the big question here. I know there's been some experimenting with his the type of fastball he throws. He's been trying out this new cutter, and I'm I think it's time to scrap the experiment. It's not really working out. It's I'm not worried, but there's been some concerns here to start the season.
Speaker 1: Right Yeah, I'm not absolutely I'm not going.
Speaker 3: To press the panic button yet, but yeah, I mean, I think we need to figure it out. And you know, he go back to doing what you did last year, what made you successful, Like this is what needs what the focus needs to be going forward, is focusing on what you did to have a full season of two or ten strikeouts, secure secure you a five year deal. You know, Like, I don't think it's time to reinvent the will here.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you're writing he doesn't have control on the sweeper right now, which I think his grossest pitch and what he's really known for its starting over the middle of the plate and finishing way out of the zone. He's throwing his cutter twenty seven point eight percent of the time, which I think is like three percent more than any of his other pitches. That's more than his four seam, his sweeper, sinker, curveball, and changeup. He's throwing the cutter forty seven times and the next closest is the four seam, So I don't again, I don't know why they're focusing on that, especially when he's struggling to throw strikes. He's struggling to throw strikes, and when he is hitting the zone, he's missing middle up and it's getting sheld. He's getting hit really hard. If you go on Baseball Savant, there's a lot a lot of blue there right now. And we've talked about it before, blue bad, red can be good. And where he is hitting in the zone, if you look at the charts, it is middle up and it's not overpowering. Maybe he's worried about that control, so then you know you're you're throwing the cutter with a little bit more ease, and it's really not doing what you need to do. It's kind of just sticking over the plate. Ideally, you want to get that cutter either in on the hands on right handed batters or you know, away and the zone start you know middle away and have it finish out. But again, not going to hit the panic on Mitch Keller right now. He's struggled in the past and he's been resilient and he's gone through it. But I would like to hear some reasoning on why the cutter usage is through the roof. Yeah, honestly, that that's I mean, when you're looking at twenty seven point eight percent, it doesn't it's not like a high number. But when you're throwing that that many pitches and that's your highest percentage, then it's like, Okay, what are we trying to get at? Here? Are we trying to get a feel for it? And if we don't have a feel for it, maybe we go to something else. The curveball looked pretty good, got some swing and missus swings and misses on curveballs, and then he kind of abandoned it. Yeah, So I don't know if that's a think between him and Davis or if Mitch isn't feeling his other pitches right now. Like he said, he doesn't have control on the sweeper, so maybe he's trying to work on one thing but not the best outing man.
Speaker 3: No, No, it wasn't and We're going to be at his start tomorrow at home, maybe his first home start of the year, So I'm really hoping that it's you know, it's a turn a corner moment for him. But yeah, I think it's obvious what the issue is. We'll see how he switches up here in the next few starts. But not pressing the panic button yet. Like I said, offensively, Sowinsky had a big game two for four, his first home run of the season, and he got his hands extended on a off speed pitch from a left handed pitcher. Don't see too many of those now, and he pulled it too, so uh, don't see too many of those from Jack. It was a big game for him. Not much happening offensively for the rest of the team. I mean, Michael A. Taylor did two RBI single in the second that put the Pirates up the beginning to nothing, and you know it just that reinforced his clutch ability, right. He's been very clutch in many at bats to start the season. That's why we want to keep seeing him in the lineup. But I think the big takeaway with this game offensively is that they faced guys like AJ Puck. They've faced. I mean, Lozardo was really good. But the other starters from Miami that they faced, Trevor Rodgers, that maybe have struggled with their command in the first start, and they were able to take that patient approach it I think Andy Haynes preaches it's pretty obvious. I mean, they showed a graphic on today's game. The Pirates are like way in the lead of amount of pitches seen this season, which can be a good thing because you can make guys throw a lot of pitches, right, But a guy like Trevor Williams, for example, Trevor Williams is going to overpower you, but he's going to fill up his own And I think we saw that this game that seemed like overly passive, too passive at the plate and gotta get your bat off your shoulders, man, Like I can count. I can't even tell you how many times I've seen it bats where guys are just sitting there watching pitches. I'm like, yo, that's it that you might not see a better pitch than that.
Speaker 1: This a bat, right if you have to go up there first pitch swinging. I mean, you got charts on this guy, you know what You're gonna get You're not gonna be overpowered, like you said too many times, where you're getting two an account within ten seconds. You know, you get up there, you're down to two. Then you got to be defensive. Yeah, and you know he has an arsenal of pitches where like you said, he's gonna dot the zone. He's gonna you know, throw some stuff that's gonna paint. And you know it showed. It showed a lot during this game. But we'll see how it plays out. I think we've talked about this for a couple more games after this this week of guys maybe being a little bit too patient, I'll say this. I'd like to see Henry go up there swinging first pitch, kind of hunting a fastball early in the count, because I think what's contributing to him maybe pulling off the ball, popping up a little bit, is getting down in these counts oh two and then kind of tightening up, pulling out, not really seeing the ball well, possibly guessing go up there and hunt fastballs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we know you.
Speaker 1: I mean you're going to crush fastballs. You might not get many of them, especially later on an account. Right, So if you're watching balls early on that are very hittable that you could pull go for it. I don't know if that's directed or if that's just a hymn thing right now, but I think that's going to contribute to his success.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I agree with that, And I there's not a cookie cutter approach to hitting or to anything really right. I think that might this approach might work for some guys, but some guys like Henry might type up when he's down to account. And I appreciate them having this philosophy hitting philosophy, and and it can it can work in their favor, you know, in a lot of instances, like it did against a J. Puck and in other games where they're you know, maybe teams pitching isn't as deep and they struggle on the command side. But it can also work against them just as much. And I hope they find like a happy medium. It's not just one all in one way, one approach. They need to go up there and hunt. If a guy is if you're seeing data that this guy is grooving fastballs down the middle to get ahead in the count, go up there and hunt a first pitch fastball, like seriously, jump on one. I don't. I never when I was younger growing up in baseball, I never understood the coaches that said, always take the first pitch. That's bullshit.
Speaker 1: Seriously, it's at a lot of levels, man.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of levels. I don't buy into that at all at all.
Speaker 1: The junior college that I played at for a little bit, coach was his philosophy was always you are not swinging first pitch, which then half your lineups down in the count. Half of the game. It's almost right away then you know the books out, hey, let's just groove a fastball. They're not swinging at it. I remember I jumped on like a first pitch fastball. I think I got like a hit up the middle, and I got in trouble because I'm not working the count. So it's not like it's not like a thing like even when you're younger, it's like a weird philosophy that is taught that makes no sense.
Speaker 3: No, and it's you know, it's one thing. First, a bat if, especially if a batter himself wants to like see what it looks like at the play and get a fill for the pitcher, but like second third of bat on the same guy come on. Yeah, these are data out there, especially on professional pitchers. You haven't a plethora of data data out there on these guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, I agree. Well, the good news is man the bats did wake up the next day Thursday against the Nationals. Martin Perez, he might be a dog.
Speaker 3: Was his thirty third birthday, by the way.
Speaker 1: On his birthday, Happy belated. My man was carving it up six and two thirds six hits to earn two walks, six k's. Mitch wasn't good with his cutter, but Martin is very good with his cutter. He's used his cutter forty one times this year on right handed batters compared to thirteen times on left handed batters. The numbers on left handed batters are a little bit more even, but that just kind of shows me he's mixing his pitches well and he knows how to demand account. He's being super efficient on this game. He threw sixty one strikes on eighty five pitches. He was staying around the zone all game. He was getting twenty two point four inches of break on his cutter. And again the book on Martinez, if he's going to get you soft contact, he's going to get you ground balls and getting six and two thirds for Martine Perez, it sets you up for success every single time he's been He's been really, really good to start the season, and he was good in the spring too, so it's nice to see that success go over to the regular season, and you know, if he can pitch like this, awesome. The bats were alive too. Connor Joe has stayed hot. I'll get into it in a second, but he had a home run to break the game wide open. He's barreling fastballs at forty eight percent, so I mean he's he's really not missing pretty good much. He's hitting three seventy five at that point. Question of should Connor Joe be playing every day right now, regardless of matchups, I'll put it out there. I think he's hot enough and he's a good enough of a ballplayer where you could probably find a spot for him, maybe other than Jacksonwinsky, maybe other than Rowdy Talez. Again having to play those guys, but stick with the hot bat. Michael A. Taylor three for four to one run. Cruz continued to hit. Reynolds collected an RBI on two hits to Les collected two hits. The pen was a little bit shaky this one, or Teas came in two hits to earn Chapman and Bennark kind of came in to close it out, but they almost got back in this game. But Scott, what do you think? I know we've talked about it a million times. With Shelton really liking to mix up the lineup every single day. It's rare that you're gonna see the same thing two days in a row, or the same position players two days in a row. Do you like staying consistent with the matchups lefty righty matchups? Or do you go with your hot bat?
Speaker 3: I go with my hot bat all the time. But at the same also in April fifth or whatever it is, I'm not going to stress too much on that stuff. Sure Like if he's changing the lineup like this in May, I'm going to be like kind of annoyed about it. And it's also one thing when your team is in a position where they are now right the last couple of years, he hasn't had the best of rosters. I know they get off to the hot start that they did last year, but he worked with what with what he had, and I am I don't fault him for that, but yeah, I mean there's certain certain instances. I think he's made a lot of good decisions this year. And I'm not gonna harp on lineups just yet. I'm not going to be that guy that talks about every single lineup in the first week of the season. But there are some instances like Michael A. Taylor like not playing for two days in a row or you know, uh, the differences in these lineups each day is like pretty pretty drastic. So I hopefully we see a little bit more to see mid season, but again, not not gonna think about it too much right now. And I do want to touch on Martin real quick. You know, having a guy like Martine and Marco and this rotation is definitely going to go a long way, especially when his guys are getting healthy, like a Mike Burrows, like a you know, Mike or Paul Skeins is coming up. Other arms that are are that we're expecting later on the season. I think having guys like Marco and Martin eat innings like they are and you know, I mean we saw it today and we'll get into it against the Orioles, Like that's a tough lineup to go through and to be able to give us quality starts every week. I mean, that's gonna be key for this team moving forward, especially if I'm Mitch. Keller is struggling at the time, and I hopefully I don't expect him to struggle all year. So I'm a big fan of what Martin's doing. Louise Ortiz, you know you touched on him. Came in uh an inning pitch, he entered into seventh. We saw the command struggle a little bit, but Chapman hold him out in the eighth. H He's by far been been our best reliever, I'd say this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, Bednar got his first save. He actually looked pretty good in this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mentioning how Martin and Marco are doing well. And obviously, you know, if you get some contributions from Keller, I mean, obviously Bailey Falter is too. That gives the Pirates enough time to buy to quote unquote check these boxes with skeens that you don't have to rush them at that point. If you're winning games this week, you got four quality starts in a row from guys you do not expect to get quality starts from. Yeah, So if you're competing in your winning baseball games. You don't have to rush skins. You don't have to rush guys in their development coming back like Burrows. You could take your time, let these guys work out some kinks, let him gain some stamina. Pitching more than three innings. I think he's building up, and we'll touch on that, but it's really encouraging.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, And along with Martin giving us a quality start, I mean the bets got off hot. I mean you highlighted them guys, but like just we jumped on Josiah Gray from the start. His game was the layed an hour and I mean I think he gave up four earned runs in the first inning and right, you know, big big game for the bat bats. He gave us a lead or a cushion throughout the rest of the game, and we were to secure another series. W uh. You know we took two or three in DC. So two series wins on the road to start the season. Love that great to start the season, which led us to our home opener on Friday, and we came home against a team the best team we've faced. Right, we just our third team we faced all year, but like by far the best team we were working to face probably in the first couple weeks of this season the Baltimore Orioles. All right, we have Jared Jones on the hill for the home opener, and it did not disappoint in that aspect. Jared Jones was six innings, pitch, six hits, two in runs, zero walks. He I don't think he's had a walk this season.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think that's.
Speaker 3: Been the question mark. Right in seven k's he was the whiffs leader again for his second start in a row. He had twenty one swing and misses. The next guy, Tarik Scoble, on Friday had sixteen. He was number two. So two straight starts, his two only starts in Major League Baseball with twenty plus whiffs. I mean, that's elite stuff, right, He started a game with three. He just shoved three fastballs down, just threw him in the zone, and Gunner swung and missed at all of them. The meanest case strut off the mound and fucking P and C Park was going wild. It was awesome. We were on the nowtfel. I was like, Oh, let's let's go, let's go next. He struck out adly. I mean he was just shoving it. He was like, try and hit my fastball. I know my fastball can get out anybody, and you know he was daring able to hit it and they couldn't. He two bad pitches are I don't even know if there are bad pitches, to be honest with you. A really talented offense. Ron O'Hearn and Gunnar Henderson were the only runs they hit sales, solo homers up of him. But he looked impressive. Again, he can't be mad about. Jared Jones is out and he looked really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, he is, like, you've touched on this many times before. He is Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: Yeah it.
Speaker 1: It was thirty degrees outside.
Speaker 3: And my callie boy too. I just want to throw it out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, California guy coming out in thirty degree weather. It was snowing for a couple innings of the game, freezing wind. The elements were terrible. No sleeves, no undershirt. My man was letting the chest hair flow, and he was going out there. He's like, Hey, I'm better than you, and I know it. I don't care if this is my home opener debut. I'm gonna I'm gonna throw fuck you fastballs by you and you, you know, try and hit it. The confidence is through the roof. He threw sixty three strikes on eighty pitches. Unfortunately, he didn't get the run support in this one. It was a tough game all around with the weather. Like we said earlier, he kind of experienced all four seasons in nine innings here. But it is he is awesome to watch in person. It's electric.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he really is. Uh, he's gonna I'm just imagining a playoff game at panc Bark with him and it's it's gonna be jumping. There might be an earthquake in Pittsburgh. I'm not gonna lie, but no, he he looked great. Jared Jones is here to stay and I'm already looking forward to his next start, whenever that is. I don't think it's in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately, we also had Ryan Brooke had a rough start, which we touched on led to the il he had. He only got one out, three hits, two in runs. Then Hunter Shretton came in bought him out. Rosey looked good again. One inning pitched, one hit, no runs, one k. Solid. He's inducing a lot of contact, like whatever, just get out man, he's getting out. But I think the star of the game was Oail Cruise right, three for four, hit, a home run, and RBI. I think the plus with him is that he's been going to all fields to start the season. I mean, he's just getting just spraying the ball everywhere, and he's definitely been probably our most consistent bad next the key.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I brought that up to you during the game. It seems like every O'Neill Cruise hit this year has kind of been like a poked single out to left field. His approach is significantly better at the plate. I think he's only second in the league on opposite field hits, So it kind of shows the difference of what I like to think of is like Gregory Planco, Right, you get like that big body, long arms, you kind of worry about how that bat's going to work through the zone, and Polanco struggled with it, right, I mean Planco had a lot of struggles. And I'm not saying Gregory Polanco and O'Neill Cruise are even in the same stratosphere, but I like to compare the body type and maybe the earlier concerns in the career career of O'Neil Cruz and it just looks like he has I don't know if it was the time off last year or the work he's put in the offseason, but the approach is excellent. There's not as many swings and misses. He's hitting line drive singles. He doesn't need the big swing every single at that because guess what, if he makes contact, it's going to be hit hard, and every everything he hits has the potential to get out of the park if he gets the right launch angle on it. So it's really encouraging to see a guy that you're going to have in your leadoff spot or potentially in the middle of your lineup have that type of success where it's this is not just going to be he he's either going to hit in the gap or hit it into the alleghany or where it's a strikeout. He's working counts. Even when he's down oh two, he's able to get the barrel on the ball. Yeah, So it's a he's a superstar in the making.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he absolutely is. He absolutely is. He's uh, he's done really well to start the season that he's gone off to a fast start, and it's good to see him back in this lineup. That's I think I think everyone would agree with that. We also had Jared Triolo. I mean, Jared Triollo blasted his first time run of the season into the bullpen. It was a deep point. You don't think of Triolo hitting monster shots like it's a deep part of the field. And he jumped on that ball off of Grayson Rodriguez. Good to see. Bad news was that Hank back to bad habits? Three k's yeah, man, I don't know. We talked about this. We broke it down in the spring about how he's pulling off and opening up, flying open, and that maybe he resourced to that when he's in a bad count, don't. I'm not sure, but he seems so much more focused in spring, and he seemed to break a lot of those habits and the front foot was staying down longer, and it just looks like the old bad habits. And it's it's week one. I'm not gonna start freaking out, but we need we definitely he needs to correct that.
Speaker 1: It's a small sample size and you expect to get power off the bat of Hank. You look at the body type, you look at at what he's provided in the past, and the highlights have been you know, those big home runs are hitting the ball hard. He did hit the to his credit, the first couple of games. He hit the ball very hard, and he was unfortunate. He hid in some line drives right to third base. Just didn't get lucky. So be it. But there's a difference between that and when you're just not putting the ball and play at all. We joke around about babbit a lot, but you got to put the ball in play for good things to happen. And you know you get that with guys like Triolo. It you know, you allow for the other side to make mistakes. He allow for those blop singles. Let me go back real quick. We interviewed Dorin Dickerson during the game. Unfortunately, the sound on the MIC's cut out. I think they died. It's just an interview of him talking and it's completely mute. His Pirates MVP for this year was Jared Triolo, and about a minute after he said that, Triolo hit that home run. That's probably the only positive offensive production we had in this game. They were one for five with runners in scoring position. They didn't really have many runners in scoring position to begin with but kind of a little bit of validation for a Scottie. I know, seriously, we're not the only We're not the only ones that are obsessed with Other.
Speaker 3: People that believe in are also say Dorn Dickerson, Jaredrey, I did believe in Dorton Dickerson once upon a time.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, right, Dorn's a nice guy. We appreciate him joining us. Hopefully we can get him on the mics when uh they do not die. And it is not a silent interview, but it kind of it was an interesting way to see how the Boys are going to balance it back off a home opener where things didn't really go their way. Right, Yeah, you have a good Orioles team come into town. The weather wasn't great. The Boys drop a game, second loss of the season. But Saturday did not disappoint, and it had every opportunity to disappoint.
Speaker 3: Dude, we went to the ballpark. We're like, all right, we're going to watch Bailey Falter pitch against the Orioles. We're sick, we're seaty, we're ready. Nothing kept for us.
Speaker 1: We're demented. Bailey Falter was on the mound. There was no Cutch in this lineup. No Henry Davis in this lineup, No Michael A. Taylor in this lineup. It was a recipe for disaster, right. And then Bailey Falter goes out there and throws six ins pitch, one hit, no runs, one walk, one K, fifty three strikes on seventy eight pitches. He looked very very good. No nice guy, Bailey Falter. I mean you feel bad for the guy. Nothing has gone his way since the first time he took the bump on in spring training. He's been bad, very very bad. And to have that type of outing against an Orioles team where you go into the series probably thinking, hey, if we grab one win, that's a victory, right, and to go out there and shove like that, I mean again, one strikeout, not really blowing the ball by anybody, but to allow for your defense to work and go out there and just be consistent. Incredible. He had a no hitter, Yeah, going to the sixth inning. I can get into that now because I have some thoughts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I go, why did he not get the no hitter?
Speaker 1: Please tell us and pirates Twitter listen up. I might be referring to a very select individual on pilot pirates Twitter. But for you guys that do not know baseball, Okay, I saw a lot of tweets out there saying Alika Williams thought, or like, how could he not catch that? There's a chain of command in baseball. Okay, let's start with the outfield first. The center fielder commands the outfield. He gets to call off your left field or your right field if he has the right angle to the ball. He also calls off the middle infielders that are converging on a ball that's blooped between him in the infield. Okay, shortstop, we go to the infield. Shortstop generally has command of the infield. The middle infielders have command over your corner infielders, and your corner infielders have command over your pitcher and your catcher. Okay, so obviously the key is communication here. Bailey Falter gave up a no hitter on a I don't I'm hesitant to even call it a bloop a blooper because that implies that it's really hitting no man's land. Nobody's going to get to it. This was just a run of the mill fly ball that Alika Williams is running out on and as a middle infielder or just an infielder. Generally, if there's a ball hit over your head and you think you have a shot at getting to it, you were supposed to pursue that ball until you were called off. Alika Williams almost did that to a fault. I think he got too far out in the outfield where he's starting to wonder, why isn't anyone calling me off? And he kept going. Maybe if he doesn't give Jack that visual of him like running hard for a ball, maybe it changes. But that's not Alika's fault. Alika is doing his job there as the number one in the outfield. Jacksoninsky needs to call him off to routine flyball. He's right, he has the best angle, worst case scenario, or you know, if that ball is caught by Alika, that's an incredible catch. Okay. I mean he's at that point, he's in the middle of center right field. He should not be He should That he got out there to begin with is incredible. He should have been called off. Jack apologized to Bailey Falter after the game was reported. He said, hey, my bad, Falter said, not a problem communication, man, It's taught at a young level. Even the pros mess it up. Sometimes maybe you think, hey, these are these guys are just gonna make the routine play. Sometimes they even forget to communicate. But that is on Jacksonwinsky. Jack knows that everybody else should know that. Now you got you gotta you gotta speak up, man, you gotta speak up. Jack hasn't had much time in centerfield this year, but he's played there enough to know, you know what's going on. But let's not take let's let that take away from Bailey Falters good start. Unfortunately, Ryder Ryan, a week after we hyped him up and put out a hype video on the internet, did not have his best outing one inning pitch, one hit, two e in runs, one walk. Chapman came in and saved the day with two two k's and one inning. This game was going to be a save opportunity for David Bennar, and it was his second blown save of the year. Are we concerned with Bennar or is this too early in the season where he was hurt in the spring, he didn't have enough opportunities to get in game action.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, I mean right, I think that's gonna be what's said a lot is that he didn't get a lot of innings in spring and he didn't. Okay, that's fair. I definitely think that's contributing to it. But yeah, I mean it is a little bit. It's a little bit worriso. I'm two blown saves in the first week of the season, and it's it hasn't looked easy. And I hope, hopefully we're not thinking about this, you know, in a couple of weeks, but are We've had a lot of more impactful relief appearances from guys like Jose Hernandez and the worldest Chapman s Chapman to be getting save opportunities.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, hey, listen, that's a good problem, right because you know, at least you have a guy that has done in his whole career and is playing really well right now. I'm going to look at it this way. At least for the first month of the season. Key Brian Hayes has made three airs. Am I worried about Key Brian Hayes. Absolutely not. He's the best glove in the league. I'm not worried about Bednar yet. It's very early. Let's see how things progress. We have a good you know, He's surrounded by a lot of good arms. Another arm Josh Fleming, who again, I don't think it's getting talked about enough. Shelton brought him in to get one out right away, ground ball to first base, and he got the W in this one. He is just going out there and doing his job. He knows what he does best, and whether it's for one pitch, one inning, three innings, you can call him. This guy to do a lot. I think this is becoming one of the better acquisitions of the off season.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, I really like what Flemming's done. They brought him in in perfect situations for him and which is a testament to Sheldy's decision making, and and he's he hasn't let us down. And you know, that was a perfect opportunity for him to come in and against the left he get a weak round ball to first base and then the inning. So he's a good situational guy. I've liked what I've seen from him offensively though. Let's talk about another inser we talked about David Bennar, Joey Bart.
Speaker 1: The Bart chants were unbelievable.
Speaker 3: It was unbelievable. I mean, comes in, makes his first start as a pirate and first a bat hits a home run in the left field. All right, he was two for five today at a home run in his first bat. Like I said, double one two RBIs he was very impactful at the plate. Maybe this is a change of scenery. Guy, it's a low risk move, right, Like, you know, you're getting a former number two overall pick in the drafts to come in here and be your second catcher, and you should have should two offensive catchers. Yeah, that position shouldn't be a blind spot in the lineup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the way I look at it, worst case scenario, he's not good, he struggles, you get delayed back, or you get YASMANI coming back, right, Who's I think a little bit off? Still, best case scenario, he finds it and you get to catch him what every fourth day, every fifth day, and he contributes to this team. If he is good, he's in upgrade over Jason Delay if the bat reaches even close to the potential that he had as a number two pick. Feeling, you know, he was put in a rough spot in San Francisco. Maybe the pressure got to him to fill buster posey shoes. Is I don't know if anyone's going to do that. You know, that's one of the best catchers ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So good change of scenery for him. Coming back to Pittsburgh, he was super welcomed. The crowd loved him. He had a double later in the game as well, so I mean he was killing it. Speaking of Shelton making the right move with Fleming, I think he made maybe his first mistake in this game. In extra innings, bases were loaded with nobody out, rowdy was coming up. You have Cutch, Michael A. Taylor, and Henry Davis ready to go on the bench, all available, and you didn't use any of them. And keep Ryan in that situation too, who got a pinch it later on in the game. I think you got to go with one of those at bats. I know, you get the righty lefty matchup, and so I was collected three hits in the game. He was doing well, But in that situation, I think you gotta go with your guys and and actually, let me back up. It was a lefty lefty matchup, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, they brought in Danny Columbae versus Roddy.
Speaker 1: High right, So I mean we're known for playing the matchups, right, and then Baltimore does that, they bring in a lefty to face a hot till as I think you regardless if he has three hits, you know what you're getting with Rowdy, right, he's not going to hit lefty as well. I think you just need to address that now and maybe putting Cotch, Davis, Taylor, Brian in that situation, you're setting yourself up for a better matchup. And Rowdy didn't get the job done, which led to two bad at bats from Truolo and then Bart to finish the inning. So you go in extra innings, bases loaded, ready to win the game to a big fat zero.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Well let's start with like, you know, the bases were loaded, Allie walked and tied the game. Bases loaded, tie game, no outs, you should win that game. I'm sorry, there's no excuse. So I think that's where with there being no outsets where Chelty had a little bit too much confidence and Rowdy to be like, hey, he's been hot today, let's ride the hot hand. If it doesn't work out, we've got Triolo and Bart behind him, right, But it didn't work out that way. Two strikeouts, it was it two strikeouts the n inning after Rowdy right.
Speaker 1: Or no, yeah, Triolo and bart yep, yeah, I mean that's you.
Speaker 3: You got to swing the bat and just really bad at bats and that inning, that was a really really disappointing inning. But we obviously went into the eleventh and we had a walk off and it was exciting. Man, we stayed. I didn't think that game was gonna end, man, I did, really didn't, But exciting walkoff from O'Neill is a single line drive single to right field, and Henry Davis came around the score. He was the runner on second, so we got to w It was stressful and it wasn't pretty, but it was exciting in the less, so we got one win out of the way from the Orioles there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I'll say talking about a mistake from Shelton, he made the right move. Joey Bart was supposed to be the pinch runner, the ghost runner on second base going to that inning is the last out, and he pinched it. Pinch ran for him with Davis, who runs hard and has sneaky speed, so maybe Bart doesn't make it home on that single by cruise. So that was definitely the right call, really good approach by cruise, breaking ball coming away, hooks it for a line drive. Really really exciting game. I'm glad we got to see that in person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, for sure, I saw Game one and two we were at PNC Park, but today we were not. We had the last game of the series. It was one thirty five today we watched from home. We have Marco on the hill against Dean Kramer from the Oriols, And like we were talking about Marco on Martin right, they've been really good, eating innings and being efficient. Marco with six innings, pitch five hits to and run zero walks, four k's. And we were texting during the game and I was Marco's, you know, letting his ninety one mole on hour fastball right at the top of the zone. He's getting swings and misses. Like I'm not sure, I haven't looked at his spin rate on his fastball, if his vestal works for vertically like that like a Marco Estrada or that type of pitcher. But it was pretty impressive, you know, he just really had one pad inning. Maybe if that if I'd even I don't know if i'd even call it bad. But he looked really good today. Efficient was getting out inducing contact and it worked for him. And you know, the Pats didn't really back him up for a majority of the game, but I guess they did when it mattered.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, for the for the most part, he was lights out today. The fourth inning, he got hit hard, and I think that's you know, if he's going to get hit, it's going to be hard. He's not, like you said, he's not overpowering. One oh four point three, one twelve point one, one oh six point five, one hundred point one all in the fourth inning, Okay, And that was, you know, the heart of the Orioles lineup. That also there was an airby cruise that inning on the transfer. A lot wasn't going our way early on. But man, other than that, yeah, like you said, he was attacking the top of the zone and then just his case straut off the mound today was beautiful. Like he knew he he was on his stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he did. You could tell he felt confident. It was a good first start for him. I mean at Helm, his first start on the road was good too. He's had two solid starts to start the season. And it also helped that we had two solid relief appearances out of the pen. We had Rosey Contrez and Josey Hernandez combined three innings, one hit, two k's, no walks, no runs. Like you know, it's the that that is positive, all right. And Rosie was walking a lot of people down spring and that was his issue at the end of last year when he started to struggle. And Hernandez, I think he gave up the one hit, but like he he looked stellar to me so far. I saw. I was looking through the trip a box sports. He had a couple of clunkers in Indy before coming back up. But hey, man, he's looked good up here and he should probably be in this bullpen with Brucki out for a little bit at least going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot lot of good arms, A lot.
Speaker 3: Of good arms, a lot of good arms. It is a good problem to have, man, we have the next man up mentality and when it comes to the bullpen, and there's more comment Holderman and Mudgins here on the way. But even with the bats, like we talked about this a lot today, the bats we've had had some really bad abs, really bad abs, and I guess the only positives were really I think Cabrian Hayes hit the ball hard a couple of times, and Edward Alvaries who ended up walking us in the last inning. Alie, yeah, you know, which was a wild ending, and we can get into that. But like, really I wasn't too impressed with any of the bats today, just maybe those two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it was. It was pretty pretty bad all around again, being too patient, getting down into counts almost right away, and then just not giving you know, a good approach to to shorten up or put the ball in play bad you know, down on strikes. Looking Triolo had a really bad one in a bad situation. But that I think that again, that that's the biggest thing at the plate right now is being too patient. Again. That could work if you know you're drawing walks and a guy's not really filling up the zone. But you gotta I mean you, like you said earlier, you got books on these guys, right, you have the data. You got to go up there and have an approach based on who you're you're playing in. For the most part, that bats were not awake for innings one through seven.
Speaker 3: That's not to take away from Kramer, because Ian Kramer has had some solid outings he was I think there he was there number one in the playoffs las year when they had some injuries. So, uh, solid arm. But you know, bad a just that does take away from the fact that there were some bad A b's too, just not really good approaches at the play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he Brian got robbed. I mean he's in the ball super hard.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. That one play by was that by Mateo? Is that Cabrian the second baseman?
Speaker 1: I think that was Matteo, I mean Gunner both him and oh yeah, so that was Mateo. And then Reynolds got robbed by Gunner two back.
Speaker 3: Cabrian's got robbed twice. There are two plays this week that I think could be plays of the week for the Orioles. Yesterday, if you remember Cedric Mullins dive and catch on Cabrian Hayes incredible. I mean, I don't know how many guy men center.
Speaker 1: Fielders make that play that's to win the game.
Speaker 3: To win the game. Yeah, and Mateo's leadoff or matil As play at second base today was just stupid. That was a base hit night on ten times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot of good defensive plays as many defensive mistakes that were made today on both sides. The Orioles had a blunder that led to a Pirates run. I mean the Pirates obviously had a couple of blunders. O'Neil Cruz had an elite play at shortstop on a short short hop where he fired it over. So you got some positives to take away. The one thing that I think needs to be talked about, and people are yelling about Rebello at third base. We had an opportunity probably to either get guys on third and second or third and first. Early on in the game, O'Neal Cruz hit a ball looked like it was going to be out right, trioll Is on first base. He gets thrown out at home on an excellent relay. Let's not take away from that. The relay was incredible. Rebello sends him triolo. On the replay, you see him significantly slow down rounding second. A couple of things. One he slows down for either two reasons, right, and a lot of people are talking about the first reason, which people think, oh, he thought the ball he didn't have a read on it. He might have thought it was going to be going to be caught right. The second reason which I'm kind of leaning towards now. Is I think he thought the ball was going to be out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well I don't. I don't think it really looked like the ball was ever going to be caught. I thought it was going to be out.
Speaker 1: No, you gotta have the Yeah, that ball is either going to hit the wall or it was going to be out. I think he thought the ball was going to be out, and he slowed down, okay, and then he realized it hit off the wall, and then he kind of kicked it into high gear. If the ball if he thinks that ball is going to be caught, he's probably not continuing his momentum towards second base, right because he's got to get back at that point. So either freezes or he he waits before he gets there. It's just that combined with the disengagement rule. They already disengaged twice on that at that So Triola can get as large as a lead as he wants. He can get a running start, so you'd think he'd already have, you know, a head start to a ball that's hit very hard by O'Neil. You got to score on that, and then Rebello probably needs to recognize that. Yeah, right, you got it. I mean Rebello's only job in that situation is to keep an eye on Triolo, Right, that's the guy that you're watching the relay. You got to recognize who's running, what kind of jump they got, hold him up at third. I know you're trying to get every run you can, but it was all around really bad. And you know that that's a run right there. We got no runs that inning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was really bad. I mean I I would lane the ladder that he thought it was gone because it didn't look like it was ever going to be caught. It looked like the outfits kind of give up on it, right. But yeah, I mean you're seeing Rebello like on the ground line, just like waving him home and like he's got that viewpoint. It's just like Traill was rounding third when the ball was down near in the second baseman's hands, like that had to be communicated him. And there's been a lot of base running blunders at third bases here, so questionable. Man, I don't know what do we do in Rebello. It's it's some bad decision making. I know there's been some people defending him in certain situations like in Miami where there were a couple of guys who went home on their own think to Henry Davis one but still a little bit concerning. But speaking of errors too. Just to end, let's talk about how they've won the game today. Wild play with bases loaded and all. He was up to the plate, hit a ground ball up the middle and Gunner Henderson made a great play on it to the point where he fell on second base, but Rowdy didn't slide and he stood up, which kind of probably helped the play.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Gunner made this really awkward like try to heave at the first base and made a bad throw and that's what allowed putter Joe to score the winning run. And that's how the parents won. And it was unbelievable.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh my god, Oh my god, was starting to have some deja vous because it was bases loaded, nobody out in that inning started with Rowdy at the plate, which happened what.
Speaker 1: The day before. Yeah, so I was like, oh man, here we go again. No outs, They're not going to capitalize a weird call at home that got overturned right before that, where the umpire just straight up forgot what was going on. He's like, that's not a force out. He's safe.
Speaker 3: He didn't tag what the hell?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah he was. He was in no man's land. He was already home in his mind. But yeah, man, rowdy, I mean that's like having a you know, a trailer coming at you. I mean, the the girth on that man to get around him, and that's let's not I mean we could joke about it. I mean that's it. That's a heads up play, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely is, even if he meant to do it or not. Because you saw gunn of like try to like contort his body and heave it around him, and it was like that won the game, kind of won the game for us.
Speaker 1: Yes, good, Yeah, that was awesome. He didn't have a good at bat, no to in that situation again, but he made up for it. It's it's the little things that can win ball games, and we're going to take the w's, especially against a Baltimore team that could potentially be one of the better teams just in the entire league.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, their lineups stacked and they're breaking news. They're only going to get better. Yeah, with the guys that they have in Triple A. So for them to come in for PNT Park to be rocking all weekend and to get two dubs and to take this series. Maybe you're beating some fraud allegations early on. Right, Oh, you beat Miami who can't hit in the shadows, you beat whatever Washington team Orioles were like, it's you know here, it is like.
Speaker 3: Hey, the Orioles took care of business in their first two series. They played the Angels and the Royals teams they should be and they took care of took care of those series. Granted they were at home, but still, if the Pirates were supposed to be, you know, if they're frauds, the Orders should have taken care of business, you know, like it shouldn't have been should have been a series. But the Pirates fought. I will say that it wasn't pretty. They fought and they won the series. And hey, we've three for three on series this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before we we end our recamps, I will say Roe did have an appearance out of the pen and he looked really good today and the villa was up, so yeah, it's also positive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he he didn't have like a strikeout, but he just got a bunch of you know, weak contact, fly balls, line drives, you know, and he was getting outs and the villa was ninety six ish. I don't think he had a I don't think the whole team didn't have a walk today.
Speaker 1: By the way, there was one walk. It was the last Yeah, Connor Joe, which was an incredible great that's a major league take right there, and that that gets you the ball game.
Speaker 3: Not many guys were laying off that bitch of the same. It's a very discipline hitter.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not. Well, it was an awesome week in Bucco baseball. I cannot wait to do it again this week. Scott. Let's take a break there and then let's see what's going down on the farm.
Speaker 3: Alright, on the farm, all right, let's do it, Scott.
Speaker 1: The big league club has gotten off to an awesome start, but things are cooking down on the farm. This is the segment where we highlight everything minor league baseball, touch on some prospects, guys that are performing, things that are going down in the Pirates system. We're going to start in Indianapolis, and of course we're going to highlight mister Paul Skens Scott. He is continuing to dominate three years, pitch one, hit, one, walk, six, case five or more of his fastballs registered at ninety nine point five or higher. Exactly half of his fastballs eclipse the one hundred miles per hour. It's a grown man playing with little boys. And they even said the first outing was really good and this one was electric. They just went off script. Because the field that he has for the game and how he dominates on the mound, you kind of just have to let him go out there and do his thing, obviously within the parameters that they've set for him with his innings. But he's had twenty batters total on only two base runners, and he's kate eleven through six, So not bad.
Speaker 3: Not bad. That'll do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd say that'll do it.
Speaker 3: He looks like I didn't get to watch this start because we were at the home opener obviously, and like we mentioned before, a lot of the other levels, all the other levels started on Friday, and there were some big starters in the system and we didn't get to see this start from But what I saw clips on Twitter and everything, who just like, if not better than his first start, just looks comfortable and there's no doubt he could pitch in the majors right now. And that's why I keep saying, and I think Jonathan Mayo said this and Jim callis that they see him up here earlier or sooner rather than later. They predicted May third. I don't know where they got that date, but I could see early May that he is in Pittsburgh, which would be huge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think they can weather the storm till then good things coming for Paul Skeins. Can't wait to watch him in his next outing. I think they're probably gonna let him go more than three, I would assume next time, and kind of expecting the same result on that same day, I'll say, uh leover. Pagero had five hit night. He's four h six in the season. One other guy I want to highlight and triple A is Michael Plasmyer. The name might ring a bell. The Pirates acquired him this offseason. He has some Major League phill I think service time with the Phillies. I think there's another team as well. He might have had a cop of coffee with someone else. But he's had two starts so far. The first start on March twenty ninth, he had four innings, pitched one hit, one earned run on a solo shot in six case. On the fourth of April, he had five innings, pitched, four hits, one earned, one walk, eight case. Guys, he's a lefty, not overpowering, same body.
Speaker 3: Talker, Yeah, Pirates have a soft tossing left in no way.
Speaker 1: I mean he's he's six two one ninety seven, twenty seven years old, so he's not He's not young, he's been he's been a pro for a while. He sits around eighty eight on his fastball, throws a change up slider, force him in a curveball, I believe, but I believe. He was drafted by the Mariners. He got traded to Tampa and the Zanino trade. He was assigned with the Raids, and he got traded to the Giants, and he was released, and then the Phillies selected his contract, and then uh, he elected free agency last year and the Pirates picked him up. Maybe a guy used to get a spots start this year. I don't think, you know, we're not thinking he's going to be a guy that's gonna throw every five days in the rotation. But good to see him have some success. You might see him one or two times when we need an arm. But he's off to a hot start in Tripa.
Speaker 3: Yah. Yeah, absolutely, he could definitely get a spot start. He could be a six man or you know, a guy that goes up and down if we need to start here and there. But yeah, I've known about Plasmi a little bit from when he was with the Phillies. I think he got a few starts with them. Yeah, self tossing lefty, like you said, But his numbers have been really good to start the season, which is good to see. So can never have enough arms, you know, usually I would say eight to a dozen arms you see getting started staring a season for a team. So it's good to have another option down there. I also want to highlight the top of that order. Has you mentioned Peggy four oh six? Top of that order is all have have all been pretty consistent. They've all I think they're all over like three forty three, fifty, Nick Gonzalez, Peggy Gilbert to Celestino, Jake Lamb, who hey, we need someone another lefty bat up in the big leagues first base, say something happens with browdy. Jake Lamb has a lot of experience and he's hitting well to start the Triple A season. So that's good to see. And then Quinn Priester just want to highlight his second start was on Saturday. He went four innings, four hits, tour and runs four walks three ks, so a little bit more walks than his last start and it was not as it didn't stand out as much as his first start, but still someone that we're going to be monitoring closely through the Triple A season.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, Scott, let's go to al Tuna because there's a lot of exciting prospects in al Tuna. They started an actor in this weekend. Bubba Chandler got his first start three and one third, four hits two and runs two walks four K's not, you know, the most eye opening line, but fairly fairly decent for his first start. Bubba has a heavy fastball and a gross change up, so as time goes on and he develops, I don't know if you're gonna see Bubba this year year, but he probably needs a little bit time, more time to mature and get some reps under his belt.
Speaker 3: That's a good test for him, man, he's young for the level. Double A is a really good test for him.
Speaker 1: He really is, and we've said it before double A. I mean, you arguably have better better talent all around in double A than you do in Triple A or any other level in the minor league system. So the confidence to put him there, I mean, they definitely believe in him. But he's not the only one in the rotation. I mean this this double A rotation, Like you said, we're gonna get out there to al Tuna. There, there's a lot of guys you're going to see in Pirates uniforms sooner rather than later, one of them being Anthony Solometto had his debut today, another really young arm in double A. Four innings, pitch, one hit, no earned runs, three walks, two ks. This is a high school guy, right. Everyone's been super high on Climeto. Obviously, we've talked about him a lot if you listen to the show. He had a pretty good spring training. Unfortunately, the one time that we did see him, he was coming off with the flu and he didn't have his best outing in minor league camp. But this is pretty good start, four innings too, letting him go for in al Tuna. A lot of things to work on, but a guy that's made his way through the system at a at a pretty quick rate. So that draft class is looking real nice right now.
Speaker 3: Real nice. For sure, that's gonna be one of Charrington's gems. Right Solometto ended in double A.
Speaker 1: Last year, right he got I think he did? Actually did not though, Okay, yeah, Bubba, I think Bubba. This is Bubba's first start in al Tuna. I think Solometto might have gone there at the end of the year.
Speaker 3: Not, yeah, yeah, well regardless, listen, regardless. They're both young for the level and so it's gonna be a good test for them. I'm really excited to get out Teltuna at some point. It's not too far from us, so we'll get out there see some ball. Their bats, not really anyone in the note just as yet, but they're off to kind of a slow start. Trace Gonzalez, Jackson, Glenn Matt Fridge or Jas Bowen is someone we really like. Curvin Pachard it was now the shortstop he was acquired for Jackson. Wolf Goodyear is a catcher. And Connor Scott guy we got from the Marlins. He was a first round pick. He was there last year. So let's go on to Greensboro. They have some guys. I mean, all of our levels have some guys. One guy that we're in particularly that we're watching is Tamar Johnson. He started to weaken in this first series, going two for thirteen with four k's, so not the hottest start, but you know, we'll be watching him closely. Some arms that are really interesting. The top of the rotation. Hunter Barco started on Friday, went three innings, no runs, no hits in six k's. He's a guy that we really liked from the spring game. And also Patrick Riley went Saturday. He was three point one innings, four hits, two and runs in eight k's. Man, he can miss bats. It's just a matter of he only had one walk, so that's that's a plus. It's a matter of Kene throw strikes. Barko and Riley are two future arms for this organization, and not enough people are talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and pitching in Greensboro is not easy. It is not a picture friendly.
Speaker 3: That's what I've heard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, a lot of a lot of home runs. So they they say, if a guy's hitting a lot of home runs in Greensboro, take it with a grand salt. But Hunter Barco is a college arm. I believe he had TJ, he had Tommy John and he had to sit out for a while, so it's nice to see him have success. He definitely has stuff. And like you said, if Patrick Riley can control get his control going, then that's a lot of arm talent right there. I'd say arguably Greensboro probably has the most bats out of all the system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. I mean they've got Jackie brand again, Mitch jeb Blonnie White, Josiah Siler someone that Evan Smith mentioned to us this weekend from locked On or Ethan Smith, Sorry, Josiah Seiler is someone that Ethan Smith from locked On mentioned to us this weekend that he really likes the first baseman, Charles McAdoo, Rodolph and Alaska Hudsonhead, Michael Scotto, Michael sianni All, a lot of bats, a lot of names, and the Lonnie White has impressed, I guess to start the season. Two three run homers to start the year and one today. Jackie Branagan had a three run homer today. Three RBI is a stolen base, Like that's we talked about Jackie bran again after the spring breakout game, Like that's the skill set there is on power speed. Like he's got a very high ceiling, but a very low floor too.
Speaker 1: Really strong arm.
Speaker 3: Very strong arm. I mean he's gotten really out the ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a stud man. I think that's going to be a fast riser in the system.
Speaker 3: I think I'm watching Lonnie more though, because Lonnie is someone who's played like seventy total games in three years, and like he's got to have a full season under his belt, so really interested. I think if he's someone that gets going, they're going to move him and he hopefully he gets one hundred plus games under his belt this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots looks forward to in Greensboro and then Bradenton got kicked off Friday. Carlson Reid got the opening day start, four innings, pitch, two hits, two walks, six k's. It was a cute Yeah, twenty twenty three fourth round pick out of WVU. So that's a name to keep out for. Carmen Mazinski had a rehab start, win inning, pitch, two hits, one earn, three k's. I believe g one based down in Bradington as well.
Speaker 3: Right now, start today, I think I saw you get a doublet.
Speaker 1: But the two names that I really want to focus on here Scott and Bradenton, Michael Kennedy and Christian Curtis. We saw Christian Curtis make his pro debut debut in the Showcase game, and he looked gross and everyone was like, who is this guy? He replaced Solometo. He might finish. I mean, I would say he's going to finish the year above Bradenton. I think I think he's going to move up. People are going to be very surprised of what he has to offer. Three innings, pitch, three hits, nowhere and runs, two walks, two case. His stuff has movement. And another named Michael Kennedy. Man, this is a kid from upstate New York who had an offer to go to LSU. So if you're an upstate New York kid and you got a full ride to go to LSU, you're good, You're You're good. Okay. This is a lefty. We've compared him in the past to nasty Nester, very deceptive, it looks kind of effortless. He had three and two thirds, four hits, three year in runs, two walks, two ks. Do you do yourself a favor? Friend of the Pod Eric Garfield his Instagram, Eric underscore Birdland. He posts a ton of videos. He posted a lot of Michael Kennedy's start today and while the line doesn't look that attractive, the stuff is unbelievable. It floats. He has a lot of movement, he's deceptive. He picked off two guys today with his move to first base. He's super young again, maybe a guy that doesn't finish in Bradington, but they have some time to work with him, and it's it's really exciting stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, I'm excited for Christian Curtis and Mike Ken of all the it's crazy. Each level has have very impressive rotation. I'm really excited about it, all these rotations. But Michael Kennedy something to note there too. You mentioned he's an upstate New York guy, Like he's not people. Tim Corbin from Vanderbilt, the head coach of Vannerburg. He loves recruiting arms from the Northeast because these guys like don't throw year round. They're so like, there's so much projection left on this kid. There's so much you can dream on here because he's just so like he hasn't reached his potential yet. His ceiling or not even closed like a lot of these guys haven't. But he's in a Northeast arm that hasn't thrown year round for his whole life, and he's going to and I think there this is we're just at the beginning of what the Michael Kennedy era. He's going to be a hopefully you know not there's a lot of arms that don't pan out, but like there's a lot here that you can work with, and the and the you know, I wouldn't focus too much on I guess the stat lines, the box score just yet, right, So watch those videos from Eric Arfield. He posts a lot of stuff. I've been watching this of the past couple of days since Brandon kicked off. Very good content, but also some bats that I want to know if that are in Brandenton. Omar al Fonso as a catcher. Braylan Bishop was a guy we got to going away from his Arkansas commitment a couple of years ago. He was in that Lonnie White. He was like eleventh roar Od pick in that Lonnie White, like Henry Davis draft. He's just Castillo Garrett Forrester, Shalalon Polonko and Javier Revas. All names you should know, especially Garrett for is Garrett Forster. This is a name that we talk about a lot, you know, exciting names here as there are at all levels. I'm excited to be talking about the minor leagues in the next few weeks. We're maybe introduced like a minor League player of the Week here or something like that, once we get the season going fully. This was the first weekend for all three the other three levels other than Nindy, and you know, we'll be tracking all these teams really closely, along with going to Altuna.
Speaker 1: Super exciting. One other thing while we were recording, the Pirates did make a trade for a guy that is going to start down on the farm. Pirates acquired right handed pitch. The Royals acquired right handed pitcher Colin Selby from the Pirates for left handed pitcher Connor Oliver. Oliver was a seventeenth round pick out of Kansas City in last year's draft. Went to Miami of Ohio. This guy bounced around. I think he went to four different schools. Didn't really figure it out until he'd reached Miami of Ohio. But when he was there, seventy eight innings pitch three point eight nine era had a strikeout rate at twenty seven point six percent, walk rate at only twelve point six percent. Another lanky lefty uh six two one seventy throws low low nineties three fourth arm slot. So kind of seeing a trend here of guys that, yeah, the Pirates are gravitating to on the left handed side of things, so a ton of room for development. But this guy, for Colin Selby, I'll take that every single day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, a lot of you know, add arms to the lower end of the system and and see what you can get here, because we definitely have some relievers at the top end. And Colin Selby wasn't wasn't paying out, so maybe a change of senior will help him too. But anyways, down on the farm, we're looking forward to this every week. This gets us so more invested than I've ever been in the Pirates farm system. You know, I've followed prospects, but not at this rate. So I'm really excited to do this going forward. Let's uh, let's take a break and then we'll come back and give our you know, our hitter pitcher of the week and then talk about the week ahead. All right, welcome back. We're gonna give our hitter and picture of the week real quick. Let's start with pitcher. And we had a couple of names to pick from here. It wasn't an easy decision, but we're gonna go with Marco Gonzalez. We got two quality starts from him this week. He has eight innings. We we went through the whole spill right like, he's been inducing a lot of contact. He's been giving us innings, throwing, throwing well, hitting his spots, and Marco Gonzalez has been has been big for us, and I hope we continue to see this. He's two starts, one at Washington and one today against the Orioles. In total, that's eleven innings, pitch, three earned runs, nine hits, two walks, six k's. Like we mentioned before, when he gets hit, when he leaves pitches in the wrong part of zone, he can get hit hard, but when he's hitting his spots, he induces a lot of weak contact. I mean, I feel like that you could say that about anybody, but this is like been his his uh identity as a pitcher in the league. Right. He doesn't he doesn't overpower you with stuff. He hits his spots, he induces contacts, he's not going to strike out ten a game, and he's gonna eat innings. So Mark and Gonzalez quality start to the year. It's definitely someone I was worried about from the spring. I don't want to get too invested in spring stats, but he was someone that was getting hit hard in spring and I was a little bit concerned about. So nice to see him get those two quality starts against the Nationals and a really good Orioles offense, and you know, hopefully we continue to see the same amount of him going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of honorable mentions here. Bailey Falter had obviously an excellent start, Jared Jones pitched really well, Martin Perez, but Marco had two starts this week and both of them were outstanding. So, like Scott said, really good to have him on track. But hitter of the Week was also very difficult. There's a lot of guys that have been playing really well. Key Brian's been hitting the ball really hard. O'Neil's been hitting the ball hard. Kojo's kind of on a tear right now. But the one that really stuck out to us is Michael A. Taylor seven for fifteen three runs. He's got a double in three RBIs and this is not including sackflies. This is not including hard hit balls. His outs have been productive, they've been hard hit he looks confident, he's drawing good walks. Having him at the bottom of the lineup is such a blessing because when he's there, it really doesn't seem like there is any hole. Yeah, he even you know, it's basically like we've we've said a million times, it's having a leadoff hitter at the bottom of the lineup. And some people make an argument like, oh, I'd like to see him maybe get some more at bats or get at the top of the lineup. This is where he belongs. Like and that's nothing against Michael A. Taylor because again he's our hitter of the week. He's playing really well. But this is where he's going to thrive. He's not going to hit for average right now. He's hitting like the four hundreds. Okay, that's unless he's going to have like a Luisa Rise season. This is not sustainable. But if he gives you that type of at bats, those productive at bats, Neil Walker calls them quabs quality at bats.
Speaker 3: So I've heard him talk about that today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's going to be able to lay bun down, He's going to be able to steal base hits, he's going to be able to provide power. Obviously, you know we're talking hitting, but the of is always consistent. It's just such a nice way to turn the lineup over and then go right back to guys like Cruise or if you're hitting Kojo at the top, to roll it over that way. So he had two days off this week, but hopefully we get him back in the lineup and he's playing more consistently.
Speaker 3: Just want to mention he batted ninth and played center field for a World Series team. Yeah, okay, he won a World Series ring. This is such a night. This is I don't think you will realize the difference of having Josh van Meter or someone name any of the Pirates nine hole hitters, Austin Hedges the last couple of years, the impact of turning over the lineup and getting to O'Neill Cruise at the top and even having that speed on the basis when he gets on, it's huge, it's huge, and he's he's come up big in clutch moments. That's in the first few series, and obviously I was bummed to see him out of the lineup the last two nights, but we'll be there tomorrow. Mitch Keller is throwing and the Tigers are in town. I'm excited to see him back in the line up. Hopefully he should be the everyday center field or great addition. We broke that news live in Tampa we were at Georgetown. Rynderfield really excited about it. Someone we talked about all off season since we started this podcast. And you know, I'm really excited for Mike Waye Taylor. He's Matt as we call him. He is going to be a big part of this team. And hopefully he I know he got a slow start to spring, but hopefully he gets more and more at bats more consistently going forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excited to have him, Scott. I think that wraps everything up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before we get going, let's let's outline this week going forward. Right, we have the Tigers short two game series here in Pittsburgh, so they're coming into town tomorrow and Tuesday, and then they have the day off on Wednesday. Four game series this weekend in Philly. I will be there at one of the games. I have family in Philadelphia. I'm going to be at the game on Sunday. It's the afternoon game. I believe it's gonna be a Mitch Keller game too. I'm wanna see Mitch Keller. Pitched twice this week. I just mapped it out. I was like, who's pitching it? It doesn't say and I will be at but I looked it up. So I'm really excited for that. I'm I'm excited to be at the bank and see the pirates on the road. But yeah, that's that's what we'll be outlining next week. That next episode will probably be Monday, right since I'll be away, But yeah, we'll definitely dive into this series. Two good teams that we're facing this week. But let's see what we can do. Let's win some more series and and continue this hot streak to start to season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you don't already follow us on Instagram or Twitter, you could find us on Instagram at Bucko Banner Pod again B A N T R no E N on Instagram at Bucko Banner. If you didn't see the content this week, it was awesome get to talk to a lot of people. We have the mini mics at every single game that we're at, and we're going to be asking a ton of questions, a lot of fan interactions. It was a huge success opening day the home opener and opening the home opener weekend. So if you have questions that you want us to ask, any content request, we'll probably do it, So put it out there. We're having fun with it and we can't wait to keep this ball rolling with these buckos.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I appreciate meet and everyone that we met this weekend and it was a blast. Hope to meet the rest of you throughout the season. Definitely come up to us, But until then, let's uh, let's take off here and raise the Jolly Roger.
Speaker 1: Raise it Baby. Intro music by Jordan Montgomery, CEO of Driving Well Black Records. The song is Arnold Palmer off his latest album Prime Real Estate.
Speaker 3: Rock Your one O one.
Speaker 2: You see a couple of me in my Taste with yea my lemonade because I let the way taste best seats at the Pirates.
Speaker 3: Can't he let me run the base? Yeah?
Speaker 2: My time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh whyfe the is a Lloyers my date to my dates or the steak by the plate to the case after case. Run my race at my pace, cleared grass of the snakes,