Speaker 1: Hey everybody, thanks for pulling up a chair. Today on Table for two, we are at the Sunset Tower Hotel on a beautiful day rolling. We're about to sit with five time Emmy, two time Golden Globe nominee, a producer, an actor, a writer, a director. Twenty twenty three, Time magazine named her one of the one hundred most influential people.
Speaker 2: You do it New York Minute style.
Speaker 3: Maybe do like the zucchini chips the patient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, look at this guy.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: This is a professional.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm also a caesar and a pizza and some sliders.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: She's hungry, a nineties indie it girl, a redhead forever, a current TV and movie star season two of Poker Face. Here here we come, the awesome Natasha Leone.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I only eat free food in this town.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's how. That's a trick to say.
Speaker 4: Everyone thinks it's oz empic, but actually if you just only eat the free food that's placed directly in front of you, you.
Speaker 3: Say, very thick.
Speaker 1: Pull up a chair, grab yourself a glass of rose, and let's go. I'm Bruce Bosi and this is my podcast table for two. Okay, well, first of all, just a formal welcome to table for two. Thank you for joining me today. This Natasha Leon, if you pulled up a.
Speaker 2: Chair and you were like, what's happening?
Speaker 3: Wait a minute?
Speaker 2: Or Sam Jackson please clarify the top.
Speaker 3: I love you love Sumangers like that's the icon.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, trying to be a living embodiment of an amalgamation of a bunch of times.
Speaker 2: And I would say that Sue is definitely on board.
Speaker 3: Well you are, Okay, let's just talk about your life.
Speaker 1: Like you said, it's exploding yet again and again again, but like this is a massive time we are sitting here because poker Face Season two is coming your way.
Speaker 3: Anyone does anyone?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: I think you should definitely give me a name, a nickname right now?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but can rhyme with your last name?
Speaker 3: Okay? BOSSI, yeah so it can.
Speaker 2: It could be Yeah, Rosie, maybe you just call me Rosie. I don't even know now, but now I don't want to be ras. I don't want to be How do we get Why would you call me? That's not my name? Who is not my name? You know what? Our name is a construct?
Speaker 4: Yes, gosh eventually called me Tazzi and it will just happen naturally.
Speaker 2: Yea, yeah, Rose, still not my nighbors still have my name. Every time you try it. Then I will call you, yeah, Daniel, and you're gonna be like, just definitely not my name name always, that's the nice thing.
Speaker 6: And then you started a bit I didn't fully land where you started calling me not my name.
Speaker 2: And ten years later and this is now a super enthusiasm.
Speaker 4: What does birs keep calling me Rosa?
Speaker 3: Could you tell him to stop? Zucker? Yeah, you grew up in New York.
Speaker 1: I grew up in New York where Upper East Side seventy four.
Speaker 3: I was born in Jackson.
Speaker 4: Hide, wait, hold on a minute, because this is my question actually for today. And that was like, you see, I know about me, but I don't know enough about you.
Speaker 2: So you some point we.
Speaker 4: Lose interest in ourself to get interested in our fellows.
Speaker 2: So excuse the officer.
Speaker 3: So people want to know about you.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm just saying I also have an upper reside, so I should sound more like I shouldn't like when I if I have to code switch, you know, get into a doorman building that a scholarship kid you know, like my like Hampton's like the East Hampton's voice.
Speaker 2: When I want to visit parents and they ask me what parents do.
Speaker 4: I can't tell them the real truth, the whole truth, you know, not to put the truth your honors.
Speaker 2: So I just say something like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 4: You know my mother is like a licensing consultant, and yeah, Dad is just you know, like he's doing a lot.
Speaker 2: Of business stuff right now at the moment. Hi, I'm already see Ario Libisman. Uh yeah, and it's good.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that is rol No.
Speaker 4: Ros is trying to keep up with the main girls because she doesn't understand and so she's like, I understand her code, no problem.
Speaker 2: Will this help? And they say no, it definitely will not.
Speaker 4: The hardest evidence I have of that it is Laid Trinity a master work. Okay, is Chris Christofferson, I'm playing a blind scientist. I know that because my hair is dyed blonde and it's very straight and I'm wearing sunglasses.
Speaker 2: That's how I know I'm ready for the role.
Speaker 4: So when my step I was signed to smoke a cigarette with Chris Christofferson and he says, you have a real Janis vibe, I realized that it wasn't quite working all those years when I would try it, and it took me about you know, fifteen years later, I sort of discovered that actually I wasn't getting hired to be her ro. I was actually getting hired to I think, be something.
Speaker 2: Close to my self.
Speaker 4: And boy was that a painful discovery that it was home hole long. Really yeah, I think first it was, but then I didn't realize that nobody realized. I think, I'm sure this happens a lot in this town, is that when people are actually completely themselves, then they're just like, you know, there's endless supply, you know what I mean, Like it's an I think being spread for seven years or whatever.
Speaker 2: It really like.
Speaker 4: Taught me that S and L you know, trick of every night they go up and dress and like things that to them are legendary like that they're still talking about, you know, are literally just talked like that they've worked so hard on with all their using all their you like life flood and everything talked so that certainly you developed this sense of like an endless resource.
Speaker 2: That's not so.
Speaker 4: It's like once you give somebody the sort of like you know, tap them and say like you're in boss, you know, then there's no shortage.
Speaker 2: It feels like I could make a movie about this glass of water right now, the right directed.
Speaker 4: Started produce packaging, international sales, whatever the fuck waterfall, you know, fucking figure out the fucking AI contract that wraps around it, just in case future derivatives, you know, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, uh like I could do that on this class of water.
Speaker 4: You see, just by virtue of it, it's all execution, right, it would just be like in the style of what and then that would be a new invention, and it would be like a moment to moment series of invention that are like directly reflective of sort of where you're at.
Speaker 2: In the moment.
Speaker 4: I don't think any of those like, you know, acting great, it's like a Gene Hackman, you know, conversation or something right kind of a performance or night movies or something. I don't think that really comes from, you know, like you've got to bring where.
Speaker 2: You're at, sort of like a come as you are approached. Thank you so much, thank you.
Speaker 8: Yes, I'm always fascinating with someone's New York because.
Speaker 1: We were very we have your city kid, city kid borner raised in city. Well, parents moved from Jackson Heights to New York to Upper east Side seventy.
Speaker 3: First in part.
Speaker 2: Oh so for real Upper east Side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for real Upper eas Side.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: So it was I'm always like on you know, seventy eighths between York and the river, seventy second between New.
Speaker 2: York and the River.
Speaker 4: It's not it's you know, it's not just don't lie. No, No, that's like saying like that are Beverly Hills.
Speaker 2: It's not.
Speaker 4: It's like, you know, they're they're off shoot. It's like I'm like living on like eighty six and third. That's not like the Upper east Side, the pe Mobile Wheel Estate. We know is you're talking between not even its really just it's only and only parts of Madison.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest. It's really just Fifth Park, right.
Speaker 3: You're right, Okay, there's a whole different piece.
Speaker 2: Right, So I'm just saying seventy first and part that's adult. What kind of a building.
Speaker 1: It was amazingly one of the like few rental buildings owned by a family on Park, and it was.
Speaker 3: It has since recently been sold to Harry Macrolle and made a condo thing.
Speaker 1: But because those buildings are very snoothy, like you come from my restaurant.
Speaker 3: Business, the whole thing. So we lived in a great apartment, but it was it was like growing up on the real Upper east Side.
Speaker 2: But sort of like your parents did.
Speaker 1: My dad ran the palm restaurant, his great his grandfather started a po.
Speaker 3: So it was like we were restaurant. My mother just didn't just she raised us and she was how you know that there.
Speaker 1: Was just two, but she had my sister and she grew up in Flushing, she grew up in White.
Speaker 2: So she's a queen's cross.
Speaker 3: She's a queen. My dad's a Flushing boy. And what yeah, why where like.
Speaker 1: Multi generation queen's And then we moved it on up like the Jeffersons to the east Side.
Speaker 2: And then but what that Italian Italian?
Speaker 3: Well Italian half southern half Northern.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, so that's where the lightness comes there is in northern.
Speaker 2: And may to just say, your gorgeous birds. We know, we know, we see it. You know what you're having to make excuses?
Speaker 3: Yea, you know it's hard up though, right was movies like what resonated with that movie?
Speaker 1: I remember I was thirteen fifty ninth Streets between third and left.
Speaker 3: They had the fifty eighth Street. There was a small theater across. She was a porno theater.
Speaker 5: And yeah.
Speaker 4: In midtown go there like like a little kid, child like child acting auditions but like minimated and fucking.
Speaker 2: I lose my drunk dad somewhere in the streets.
Speaker 4: You know, he'd go off and then I kind of come out and you have to like, you know, ravel rouser, you're working downtown right, No.
Speaker 2: Like you just like where the fuck am I? Like this is serious? It's taxi driver.
Speaker 3: What did that instill in you?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Because growing up like that, like kids don't get that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you did.
Speaker 3: I did. I didn't. I mean you were working as a kid, so you were.
Speaker 4: Like, well, the thing about working as a kid is that you're definitely like now, I'm just like at the point where I'm like, oh my god, nobody knows anything, Like they're all younger than you know, Yeah, and you know, I look, I'm not a day over one, as you can tell.
Speaker 2: But and I'm lucky all of this pizza. Did we get fries? And should we?
Speaker 3: Yeah? But okay I don't those?
Speaker 2: And did you want your COPSID? Certain.
Speaker 3: No, no, I don't want to call at all this. Yeah, we definitely we need the frock.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know, I don't know if you can actually handle it.
Speaker 1: You don't think I mean, it's not like a challenge and you're gonna it's a challenge trouble for us.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, that troubles.
Speaker 3: Much. Yes, right, so yes it's gone.
Speaker 2: I'm great.
Speaker 1: I've hung a lot, we have slaughters things.
Speaker 3: Pizza, pizza because it's free. I like you, I like your How you think this.
Speaker 2: Is gonna sustain me?
Speaker 4: I gotta pick out a deadline, you know, like a no, not an article, you know, like an actually an outline by Monday.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this food is gonna get me through this weekend.
Speaker 4: This food and the bape cigarette combo that I'm meticulously laid out for myself a regment.
Speaker 2: Along with laps in the pool. I was going to get that work done this weekend.
Speaker 3: Vape SIGs, I still love my SIGs.
Speaker 2: How come they can't invent a healthy do it? They is so busy cutting like civil rights today whatever? Like go and bend the fucking healthy.
Speaker 1: Say seriously, if we would all highly appreciate it, Okay, wait a minute, so I think we're done with Saturday Night fee what were some.
Speaker 5: Well, I do want to say one thing about that. You're reminding me of another great moment.
Speaker 4: But in Ladies and Gentlemen, the five was stays when young Diane Lane, and I bring this.
Speaker 2: Up to her when I see it. She doesn't really want to talk about the movie, but I do it anyway. Laura Dern doesn't even want to talk about it.
Speaker 5: Do There's this great scene where she's speaking at Ray Winstone that used to be my screen shaver, and she's like, you know, fifteen.
Speaker 2: Punk rock when they discover a punk and they let the house and a.
Speaker 5: Girl gang and Ray Winstone is like the opening act that sort of gets.
Speaker 2: Trumped by their new sound and he says to her, oh no, she says, Diane Lane says, like fifteen with her fucking crazy damn, but we all make up a punk you know, it's only like red, black and white colors. Like yeah, she says, you know you're jealous of me.
Speaker 4: I'm everything you wanted to be, and Ray Winstone says I can't and she says exact, that's ther fucking inwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I was like, I.
Speaker 2: Want to be in that movie. Yeah, I don't want to be in the Saturday I fev of Arizona break right.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: You've done a lot of work with women and trauma and surviving is this was it based on just things that you that have heard in your life that chicken through And I mean you're you're a huge not only advocate, but.
Speaker 3: I've done incredible work in this area, which is you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: I guess my attitude or approach is I just think it's very weird when people don't realize, you know, when there's a lot of fear. And by the way, I'm terrified twenty four seven and I'm always you know, hyper sensitive.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of way, you know, bravado and not oh no, no problem. Definitely don't need the sharing platic thing. Thank you so much. But maybe I should have a napping I would be wise. I look at this. You take this one as well, please.
Speaker 3: Okay, anyway, go on, we were talking about.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I just I just think for us, it's like like the big boys are running on the sly. You know, I don't know how we find each other, but like Mikayla Cole at my apartment in New York right now.
Speaker 2: There was construction in the place that she was at. I was like, taking my keys. I don't even know what the fuck is going on in that apartment. Yeah, why do I even have mortgages? Weren't we supposed to be rich by now? I'm like, why don't you have an apartment?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: And he's like, don't.
Speaker 4: Worry, you know, I figured it out with this the final IP negotiation.
Speaker 2: I just really is the craziest thing I could in these ideas. I was like, that's that's.
Speaker 1: My model now, But exactly it's a good model. That's that goes in line with don't say you don't have to say no yes.
Speaker 2: And so you know, for I mean, you know heavyweights out there that.
Speaker 4: Really and I would say that actually, you know a lot this town is like as much as just like you know, uh Liddy whatever, good ARROTI or something that's the reputation. Usually when like you meet the big boys or pretty serious people and there's a reason why they're.
Speaker 9: Stuck about this and you usually I have yet to meet, you know, anybody look like me know the equivalent of your broken you know, manicure, fucking acrylic is for somebody else. I don't know why, but it's like, you know what I mean, like their mother's suicide or something, you know what I mean, Like it literally doesn't matter, like getting molested or whatever it is. And it just seems like nobody ends up in like a town of make believe on accident and also with like the grit to be able to kind of like dig deeps and everybody has seen like fucked up shit in this life.
Speaker 2: That's just being a person. So I think, therefore.
Speaker 4: Retroactively, my goal has always just been to like be very mindful.
Speaker 2: Well listen.
Speaker 4: I mean, I just at least after the first time I took acid at fifteen and then it was determined to take more acid than its operating and I had no metric for what that number might be. But I think I got there and I don't take I don't take that kind of acid anymore, you see, And.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's a mistake.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Table for two. Natasha Leone has been acting since she was a teenager in the nineties, but her career has only continued to heat up.
Speaker 3: How does it feel to be in this.
Speaker 1: Moment with multiple recent successful roles in TV? Series and films you run.
Speaker 3: Like one of the things that it's clear about you is like like you're running.
Speaker 1: Like you have all this energy and are you finding at this moment in your life which seems pretty epic. I mean it's been You've been working your whole life, and but like everything.
Speaker 3: That's dropping, movies you're in. You know, how does it feel to be like in this.
Speaker 4: I feel like almost like because you know, so I think that really I see it as.
Speaker 2: You know, like like a personal goal is a really it's.
Speaker 4: Like the worst of all of them, you know what I mean, because it just doesn't really like that sort of all show you that I.
Speaker 2: Have back from your private schools or whatever.
Speaker 4: You know, I pretty much showed them like you know, I mean like you ask me to come back, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right, no, would you graduate? And I'm now talking voices.
Speaker 4: In fucking you know, Harvard and Yale and like you know, have a the fifth grade education basically, you know, you know, you know, very piss of school.
Speaker 2: So you know, I do read.
Speaker 1: AMC when I think of these sort of trains, like you know, you bring up her Danes. I know you're friends with Chloe and like the whole group and like the nineties, like growing up in the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 2: And why tell me about that. I know about my life.
Speaker 3: You know about that well, I mean, but you're like hitting it. I mean mine was very different. It was, you know, I was.
Speaker 2: Are you into disco?
Speaker 3: I loved disco? I was.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I went to fifty four. But like the second iteration, Friday nights, I was fifteen. We would go, We'd say we're going to a movie and we'd go.
Speaker 3: But I wasn't I was, you know, it wasn't like a Heyday.
Speaker 1: I was fifteen and sixteen and nineteen eighty two, so like, I wasn't wild though, I wasn't like hitting the streets downtown. If I could do anything again, growing up in New York in the eighties, loved it.
Speaker 3: I would have leaned into taking more risks.
Speaker 1: I kind of came from there. Was I didn't have that rebellious street And I actually think it's really important to happen.
Speaker 3: And when we grew up in places, there's something intrinsic that you have in you, and I happen to me because we grew up in a city like that, like you kind of you learned very quick.
Speaker 1: How to navigated, how to learn, how to sense danger, how to be on the subway.
Speaker 3: I had to walk street smart, street smart very important. You can't social, yeah, one on one.
Speaker 1: It's one on one baby, and I can't really it's like read the room and you know, and it's like quick.
Speaker 4: No one's going to steal a single put off this plate no matter how many times I walk off. I could wander off in the distance, but I could steal that palm tree whatever refer is that.
Speaker 3: You don't know, you know, I don't know now what yea, what is that? That is not a palm tree.
Speaker 2: It's a pump from Yeah, no, it's not exactly because it's skinny.
Speaker 3: Right, you're telling me you could scoot that planet.
Speaker 4: I could take that whole plant out of here quicker than they would ever take the food town from my You know, man, who's basic smart like you?
Speaker 2: Just like you have that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me tell you the person that dares to take that cruton they would be missing.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: I would.
Speaker 2: I'm nothing spark.
Speaker 3: How quick is your temper in l a Like.
Speaker 5: My temper is not. It's not quick around that kind of thing that I would consider an active mischief and a merry prankster move.
Speaker 2: So I would have deeper specta what's your name? You've got the part? What part? I mean, movie about a cup of water. I don't have all your other parties.
Speaker 4: But if the studio is very concerned, they're saying something about structure, and I told them, when you get there, you'll know, bib All right, have you ever seen who has water rights itself? Okay, clearly fucking very seen as the water tight up lives of water man walks over stills prutomme.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: A lot of those kids that you're talking about, they come from different things, you know what I mean, more of the manner born. My grandfather was amazing and bricklayer, you know.
Speaker 2: Grandmather was amazing.
Speaker 1: And my grandfather, the other one ran a restaurant. He died young because he was a heavy smoke.
Speaker 2: Heavy drink smoke.
Speaker 3: He was bad smoking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, it's getting noisier that I am the one telling you that's smoking is good.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry this has now become act. Yes, yes, what are you saying?
Speaker 4: Because I read a long article today that's a news broke thanks to the new administration, and it's a distinctly item nine oh nine, you know.
Speaker 2: In versus really just a six zero six is smoking? Actually turns out's really good for you big back of the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that nine oh nine. Yeah, you didn't see the you know, the end to me.
Speaker 1: But on the end you forgot from that bureau that now no longer exists.
Speaker 4: I see, because that was meant to be a bureau.
Speaker 3: But they fired that person.
Speaker 2: That's why they said smoking is good.
Speaker 1: Yes, And of course the tobacco companies gave you know, six point two billion, you know, to the family to then say smoking.
Speaker 2: He's right, because we gave you money.
Speaker 4: Is there any way to get that cash as an advanced You don't think, because I'm just saying, who else does I want to do a smoking campaign?
Speaker 2: You don't think they get me?
Speaker 3: Oh, I actually think you could get a smoking campaign. And I actually think of course you heard.
Speaker 1: It here first, the smoking campaign. They would pay you so much for you I don't understand. Well, you certainly can launch a campaign, and you right, that's that felt great.
Speaker 4: Don't listen thing anybody told you you have that, You grab yourselves and you know what, you get back to business.
Speaker 2: And if somebody gives you a dirty look. You say, hey, you're looking at me. Now I know what you're talking to.
Speaker 4: You don't do it, and then your blow smoke raining their fish guarantee five foot ditch.
Speaker 2: You never can't COVID again with my smoking player.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about your commitment to and the work you've been doing.
Speaker 3: With AI because you sterious studio. Yeah, the sterious studios you are. You see the is there? Do you see the threat of it? You say, okay, leave, this is going to exist. We want to be in control of our images and be caught, you know, the whole thing. Because yeah, it's all crazy cuckoo like.
Speaker 4: So I guess promotion law five yere's so many maybe ten, It's all quota helmet. It's all one long fucking day, man. I you know, I think that I started going down these like rabbit holes like from that sort of like first like Phil Bryson into and you know I am. I'm like an Honor Sam student, which is something that I brag about a lot.
Speaker 2: The Rational writers and makes fun of me a lot. There is like we know, Honor.
Speaker 4: I was really into, you know, to a philosophy. As a kid, I would write my journals.
Speaker 2: They're terrible. They're all like third part person. I'm trying to like, you know, simoon Divovoir or something. I'm trying to be like. So they're all kinda you.
Speaker 10: Know, man must and it's like what do you who is man and my man must want? And I'm like, you know, learn that you cannot rely on these fellows.
Speaker 4: I don't know why that's my I was just really, there's a pseudo intellectual LSD ways teenagers and tell them, waits's only you.
Speaker 2: So by the timing into espresional nons and I was like, yeah, I bought.
Speaker 4: In bit different old man search for meeting Wilhelm Reichs, you know who invented for beginners, who invented.
Speaker 2: The uh uh you know the orgle in therapy didn't end.
Speaker 4: Well, it's sort of like, you know, you go in here, you have orgasm when you can cut your weight, you know, happiness. Uh nazis we''ting a fan and uh then you went a little bit moody, to be honest. And so I bought in those books and I was like, okay, great, so we're gonna make half have a comedy for Netflix.
Speaker 2: Uh and less he's these two books.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 2: And the third book was I Am a Strange Loop by Doug hops Thatt. Are you know? So it's essentially I got very interested.
Speaker 4: Okay, So when you must spend time in America in All that Jazz and Jojo Dancer, Your Life Is Calling and in The Singing Detective, they all have a recurring theme, which is, you know, even in Once one of the time in America, uh, de Niro wakes up and he's in the uh you know, opium den with the phone ringing, and then he's able to track back a whole life of like when they were kids, so when when they were kings.
Speaker 2: So like when it fell apart and saying like you know, get in all that Jazz is like risch Hutter is you know, And I think.
Speaker 4: It's probably usually my favorite favorite movie. I mean, like it's hard in my secuberia or whatever. I don't know, it's like hard to not be like I mean, if you hadn't seen a clockwork as a teenager, Like that's what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like it's hard to know. Yes, it's hard to unknown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so multiple things. Okay, when one movie I left out there is Jojo Didn't Your Life Is Calling? Which with the Richard Pryor where he like you know, stars as himself a post is like burning yourself on fire from his crack addiction and writes wrecks and stars and.
Speaker 2: Produce him whatever. And but it's also inside of a hospital. But are you seeing that listening Detective with Michael Gambon, deb No, it's f.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm like literally gonna have to like text you and I want like a list we should do like a little festival one weekend.
Speaker 4: When I had this written into my doing will, which I learned from Nora Afron.
Speaker 2: So don't worry. You guys are sorry, but yes you're gonna have to get the.
Speaker 4: Film for him, okay, okay, yeah, And they're just double features of things like you.
Speaker 2: It sets things up like this, like all that jazz paired with jender dance. Your life is called right right okay, and so on I don't.
Speaker 4: Have Yeah, maybe what we'll do is what's by the time in America with saturnight fever, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Then we'll go like there'll be things of that nature.
Speaker 4: Make sure one gets to see the hits and you're dead when we're joining this, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, right, but cud were you at norris funeral?
Speaker 3: It was beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, remember how it was all pre planned?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was all pre planned. She was there was Nobody liked that one.
Speaker 2: Nobody like if I am not, If I did not have Nor in my life when I did, like, none of this would have happened.
Speaker 3: More. Give me more about the first I did the first draft of Russia.
Speaker 4: Mall was me and nor was sitting in that weird uh station, Uh you know, under pens station, Like there's something like nice classy restaurant outside, not going inside with the ice, and then yeah.
Speaker 3: And New Yorkers read each other's mind. She knew she's like that, and I was thinking, yeah.
Speaker 2: And not that that's a close far spot, but it was, and we're there, and she was.
Speaker 4: Like wrote down everything, so it's like, you know, so you know, she's funny or change smokes. You know, remem one time, let me say your place here in Bella And for a movie that actually got defunded, it was so in they uh, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Cant you stay here? You know?
Speaker 4: I I usually ahead and she was liked, oh, would you just shut up about the fucking drugs already?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, uh, My next door neighbor was Ostril levant.
Speaker 4: We get the idea. Uh, just call the housekeep and you're done and smoke outside. Enjoy your life, right, I mean, come on, like the Ultimate Book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Ultimate Bug is a great Oh my god, that is very true.
Speaker 1: Thanks for joining us for Table for two our guests. Natasha Leone's show poker Face is back this week for its second season, and she plays the main role and serves as an executive producer. The crime comedy has been a hit with audiences and critics alike. What does she feel makes the show so special?
Speaker 3: I gotta talk about it.
Speaker 2: Please talk to me about whatever. Tell me about this. This is interesting.
Speaker 5: So this.
Speaker 2: Sea Face is a wonderful show.
Speaker 4: You like Colombo, and you like Big Lebowski, and you like uh, Elliott Would and Robert all of them song Goodbye and also in in California, split you if you love Knives Out, and then.
Speaker 12: You also love Colombo, and then you also have the patience to endure this person who I can't imagine watching for twelve hours straight personally.
Speaker 2: But that's your choice. I don't have to only when I'm directing, so you know, I would just say if there's so many great people on it.
Speaker 5: This year.
Speaker 4: We got Cynthia Rivo, we got Malaney, we got Out of Shockout, we got Apuafina, and we got Method Man.
Speaker 2: That wasn't like I think, don't talk, don't tell Malaney, but he made me. Made me laugh a little bit harder, and I think I will tell him directly to his space when I see him in a couple of weeks actually on the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's hysterical, he is.
Speaker 4: He's very funny, but I'm not sure there's this funny as method Man from Yeah, Yeah No.
Speaker 2: But he's running into type race tight club.
Speaker 4: So it's a sensational cash and season justin threw I so many bait people showed up and I was like, it's very moving also because like the friends are basically just popping in to be like, hey, how you doing. Played the ball came directing an episode, me with Cave directing episode, Ti West.
Speaker 2: Directing an episode.
Speaker 4: You know I do, and you know, but really the people in tite with on Poker Based are the like the the camera department and like the crew.
Speaker 2: The first ads are like my rider dies, you know, but's.
Speaker 4: Like everything is my first short with me, you know, like we go back. I don't know what it is now, like fifteen years or something. Is orange, Orange Fresh and all poker phase my first like fucking our short film. And so it has a really catchy title. So this is how you knew it was a hit, Caberia Charity chast City Oh why Oh.
Speaker 2: So it turns out that.
Speaker 4: So Sweet Charity with Selan McClain is actually directed by the Pop Posse is a remake or an interpretation of Fellini's Knights of Caberia starting and Jolianda Messina. So when Carrie Branson's is some of these like Kenzo fashion films, and you know, then they started hitting me up and I was in it and it went along with the Commerschaal Ali and I Kim Gordon, all these great people and and Roman Blanchet. And then so Carrie says, oh, you should do one, and I'm like what, No, I'm not going to do like a short fashion film. I'm like, you know, I gotta make Deer Hunter out of the Gate and no, this is not like the fuck Around show.
Speaker 2: But then.
Speaker 4: I was like talking to maya speakerphone in Fred's car. I know, I just don't like shorties, but like what if it was in Gibberish? Is that something that like you know, like what do we invented a language? And so it was called you know, Carearra Charity chastity because this was gonna be the third part of the sequel.
Speaker 2: No one asked for of that fly and Felini Frashi you know, into my very.
Speaker 4: Humble hands to align myself with them with Maya in the classic Julietta Messina yes, and uh you know Shirlian McClain pall and I think that people understood exactly what I meant, but it was really actually probably some Chang was the cematographer, who was like a fucking giant.
Speaker 2: I mean he does all like Partain movies and like that sequence an old boy, that long corner of like that fucking kills. I mean, he's just incredible.
Speaker 4: And Arian Phillips in the costumes, like for sure, everyone really showed up.
Speaker 3: I sadly have not seen this. I need to see this. I mean, come on, I come.
Speaker 2: Out during the Lestrato School for Clown sequence. Do you know what I came about? And fall are you know doing to make up? And I was always like me holding up camera lenses as an actual you know, LEENI clown and they're all in Felini clown make up. You know, it's very important. You don't have you never made a movie?
Speaker 3: Have I never made.
Speaker 2: Clowns? And are nobody will watch it? I make it all subtitled because it's the third language that doesn't exist. Only it's a friend of mine.
Speaker 3: I mean, who is the genius of geniuses? He really is? I mean, I mean Rudolph we're.
Speaker 5: Talking about is just.
Speaker 13: I mean, it's I It's also just ridiculous because she's just like I mean, but she would just she was like, you know, it's kind of like comes said a little bit like.
Speaker 2: Who is my tea? What is a set?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: And then all of a sudden it says accident. She's just like boom, you know, the power of wagers. Also like that one time we're in a lot of the Bowery and we're having a just twenty years ago, right in something ten fifteen. I don't know, I haven't know something anymore, and who cares?
Speaker 4: But yeah, we were like time it was like like I think she was having a breakup or something, and then it was really like emotional and like all the way in and then the waiter came up.
Speaker 2: And she went right into a voice. So I was like, that is a superpower.
Speaker 4: I do not have this more commons you are thinking of, Like I gotta like be in the pocket right to kind of be a little bit of a you know, raga muff yeah together that like you know, you know bridges like the dude.
Speaker 2: That sort of lean back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't even want to be here if it happened to be a camel, I pointed.
Speaker 2: Anywhere but here, like.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: So basically, you know, as a result of doing all this like sort of like monophysics research essentially, which was like definitely way out of my depth that I don't understand anything about anything, but you know, I do understand things like certain things. So essentially, like there's a theory called it's called the Urn of Invention, and uh it's it essentially the universe is made up of take a. So the code name for season two, Rush and All it was a black gumball, okay, because in this Urn of Invention, you have gray gumballs and you have white gumballs, and inside of there there's only one black gumball. So I'm very upset that I never got to shoot that team because I had it very much in my mind. When like, you know, young Nadia takes the gumball out of her hand, it was just like, it's a scene that in my mind I've already seen and that's very frustrating. So I'm gonna have to get that done. Yeh, fire walk with me now. And then later in the return I talked to David nch about it. I'm very sad that he's gone. Who's in I lived in my neighborhood and I yeah, our last exchange.
Speaker 2: I was like, I was like, uh, you know, hello, hello sir.
Speaker 4: You know, do I need to evacuate because I'm in Puerto Rico And he said, yes, you should be evacuating. And I said, copy, you see you on the other side, and he said, indeed, I wilke up.
Speaker 2: I was really eerie, like it's fucking like bon gan zones.
Speaker 4: And he in that meeting, he held up a pencil to me, you know, and it also told me that I reminded him a lot of like this old girlfriend he had from high school, which was like me feel like I was like, is this a vibe or whatever?
Speaker 2: And I was like because I'm down ah and uh, I don't even give whatever.
Speaker 4: It's like I want to be I just want to be a witness, the witness in an outer body fucking levitating state over there.
Speaker 2: While you have sort of like some version of you know, and so maybe a less scared and so it would make him a blue velvet baby. Let's go maybe.
Speaker 4: So you held up a pencil and he said, you know, because I said what he thought on Ali because I was, you know, building dish thing.
Speaker 2: Uh he said, uh, well is a pencil. You see that?
Speaker 4: And now everybody has a pencil, but not everybody can do the same thing with the pencil.
Speaker 2: And that's what distinguishes the artist and you know and the writer or the whatever.
Speaker 4: And you know, in in talking to you know, Brian and you know, Brand had this kind of like breakthrough, sort of like moment of uh who show pump tears. He had come back and he seen like some of the the new tech that was merging and realized it was like more be thought of almost like as a camera lens or something, that it was just gonna be a new medium. So sort of course I had talkies to in silence talkies and you know we had oh my god, how we evergant? You know, you must have these giant cleeve lights and you must be swaying profusely. That's how it's done. And it's you know, and we must stop at the nightfall. There's such a thing saying and you know now and there were there was.
Speaker 2: Just sort of in a weird way, actually very similar.
Speaker 4: It was like they were like all the Keystone cop stuff and all that Mabel Norman by Arboko Charlie.
Speaker 2: Tappan whoh I bring up?
Speaker 4: Because our offices are actually located in the Max Senett studio in Silver Lake.
Speaker 2: That was the Mabel Norman you know, tied up a tree across the street.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So what our discovery was was that the foundational model that.
Speaker 4: This you know, these lums or whatever there's generative AI machines were being built on. We're inherently dirty with straight up that you know that you know, uh illegally uncopyrighted data, straight thing from everything. So right now, if you go to one of these like Google ViOS or whatever you could, like you can just type in give me toy stirty six. I know, literally give me a toy story six. It's just that graphic and essentially I guess what's Altman is positioning for right now and who knows. But this was like the letter that kind of like I don't know, but it's by fucking I just stayed in that fucking vetso manga style, fucking text messaging. Motherfuckers were not having an on a Saturday, but being like except a kabl and chet because that's the fuck you see. And so she was like, no problem, just do it, phoebe thug. She was like, you got it.
Speaker 2: Let me go get Martin and the like.
Speaker 4: Certain people just like have no Yeah, they're just like they're punks, you know what I mean, And they're like heart of hearts and you can tell.
Speaker 2: Other people were like, let me see all this goes in three days? Right? I did it safe, you know. But it was essentially to sort of like form this coalition and just staying around because we literally looked at the office and realized on.
Speaker 4: A Friday that was actually the petition was due by eleven fifty nine Saturday a PM. And we're like wait what and Chuck, you know, from Valley, was headed to her flight back to San Francisco and.
Speaker 2: It was just like us in the ansider. I was like, how are we gonna do this? And I was like, that's what we just do it. There is no time and it was miraculous to either kind of like the.
Speaker 4: Jesse Gordon Levett was like so helpful that he because he was like, I think that you should ask because I was asking Eye for feedback in the beginning because I'm like, I don't I'm not going to be the author of this thing, like I'm not gonna you know, and he was like, You've got to have this paragraph about very specifically, like how this impacts other industries that did as well, because it's actually a you know, like a global issue.
Speaker 3: You as it.
Speaker 4: So somehow, you know Nick Anfiloni who works at this Hysteria two, who's like, you know, I'd just done a ton of animation at every like major fucking studio in town.
Speaker 2: But he's a real died in the whole kind of like artists first person. He was writing it with us. It was like a real I don't know, I was just winging it. So that's how I knew how to be with it because that's my usual thing. But it was essentially to just sort of cock block a bit.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's the political term for it, but maybe in this administration it actually is.
Speaker 2: Thought, how can I say this in a way you guys will understand if you're listening, Uh, doctor Trump, So stop cock block in the artists. You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's just that's clear.
Speaker 4: That's pretty clear, because it just feels like if you actually have this kind of you know, sort of like the cards align, you know, the match, the match sticks match, and so you can actually suddenly studios and networks and agencies and uh managers and talent and TikTok talent, they're like they're all incentivized for the same thing, which is protecting their kind of underlying IP ownership and you know to the best of like our abilities for everything that's coming to the past. That's really like, you know, kind of their arena and it you know what I mean, like anything to I guess not sort of strike, but like they cannot don't know, they can't be trained on still an I P of course contracts right now it's not still an IP if it's from the studios and the networks wield our model on because Britain is a documentary, you know, a filmmaker like a Peace.
Speaker 2: Corpy I and everything.
Speaker 4: So he paid all those filmmakers or you know, with like these investors and stuff.
Speaker 2: He was able to get that paid for their work for the underlying model, you know.
Speaker 4: But like you know, it is a question of kind of you know, all the studios they technically based on the old deals, they own the IP ownership of the every everything that they.
Speaker 2: Made, right, so like some of it would go to creators and stuff.
Speaker 4: So that's like something like a nugget I'm trying to crack as like a side arc, right, but you know, this whole idea of like also just really kind of like lock boxing, black boxing and guaranteeing our futures whatever it is. Right now, they're actually petitioning just for like to literally make it legal under the auspices of national security in China, to you know, scrape all that theft which media automatically overnight all writers that dies.
Speaker 2: There is never another case. So like you, I don't know what it is. I've never I'm you know, uh not, let's just actually wet. Just people are crazy people. I've sort of made that a rule in my life. I was like, we're all good. I'm not going to actually sue you. I'm just gonna you know, but like I don't know how. I have no idea.
Speaker 4: It's way about out of my depth. I'm trying to figure it out a couple of hours Google. But you know, it's just it's it's really going to be quite complicated. So it's like that's what's so crucial about like everybody in town.
Speaker 2: Man, like, hey, she's just like this is what we do, right, like.
Speaker 4: You know, and then because right now they're just trying to make it no whole tomorrow, right, so it's already happened.
Speaker 3: Right, it has happened. So, I mean, it is that change that exists that we are living in and we're seeing the regulations need to be. The fight needs to be or you lose.
Speaker 2: Lose we all lose it.
Speaker 3: We as we lose everything. The day you use your identity, I guess.
Speaker 2: You gotta make a you know, it's Shakespeare Monolague Park for free.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it is wild.
Speaker 2: Not to knock on Jakes spear, but it's not my favorite thing of the city offers.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest.
Speaker 2: I did love Mark Ryland's I mean, I like some of the zingers. You know what I mean, the classics.
Speaker 3: I like the big hits.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know it to be an to be I'm like, I don't know, bro I get you.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: This episode is the last of our second season.
Speaker 1: I've loved sitting with so many wonderful guests over the last year, from electric interviews with Kristen wigg and Jeff Goldblum to thoughtful conversations with award winners like Divine, Joey Randolph and Adrian Brody. As I sit with Natasha at a table of sliders, fries, pizza, pigs in a blanket, and many glasses of Seltzer and Arnold Palmer, I'm so grateful that you the listener, have joined us for our lunches. Natasha is one of a kind and the perfect guest to share our final meal of the season. I mean, I gotta say, as we kind of wrap, I mean, this has been one of the most enjoyable table for TUSA.
Speaker 2: But I get enough about you. Do I a new restaurant.
Speaker 1: You know, there's no new restaurant. It would be it would be something like in the DNA of old school Italian Steakhouse, New York. Oh yeah, speak easy Italian probably, you know, with the DNA of bossis and it would be small, it would be you know, there's a bunch of friends that we share on the East cart so like, when you're ready, you should get back in, like you know, yeah, I always feel like I like.
Speaker 3: I'm going I'll go to media.
Speaker 2: I'm going on I'm about that. Yeah, yeah, we need a new spot, right, we.
Speaker 3: Need a new spot.
Speaker 1: So I think my thing is avl who's seventeen, who you've met once she's out of high school.
Speaker 2: She's gonna be like, where's my six it's creasy for excuse me, where's my speakingsy steakhouse? Even my dad?
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is a multi generation redo it so maybe, but you know right now, like my eye is on her, my eye is on you know this, and we're going to figure out the next chapter.
Speaker 2: And yeah, do you think we're at the top of act three? Is that you too?
Speaker 1: I think we're at that and not used to not being when you turn when you were getting close to sixty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, three, there's a full act in three.
Speaker 14: There's a full if you do it right, twenty twenty to twenty five years where you're like, I'm in the game, and then whatever you know, bad willing.
Speaker 3: You got your health, you got your body, you got your right. Yeah, I do. I feel like I'm at the top back three.
Speaker 2: Yeah you are doing. I also feel like I'm on the top of a three. But you know your twenty years jun to know you think so. Yeah, I think. I feel like I'm like, come into the clothes.
Speaker 4: I'm running as fast as I can, you know, yeah, yeah, Well, because I'm like I always say times, yeah, times fucking catching up. I'm like watching my sign for you stand in the hour glass.
Speaker 2: These are the days of my lives and there numbered.
Speaker 3: And on that note, thank you for joining us. Thank you, Natasha gorgeous and you know what, yes, yeah, thank you, thank you, thank you for joining.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: This is lovely.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to thanks.
Speaker 4: For having me.
Speaker 3: Thank you for pulling up a chair.
Speaker 1: I love our lunches and never forget the romance of Omeo. If you enjoy the show, please tell a friend and rate and review us on Apple Podcasts. Table for Two with Bruce Bosi is produced by iHeartRadio seven three seven Part and Airmail. Our executive producers are Bruce Bosi and Nathan King.
Speaker 3: Our supervising producer is Dylan Fagan.
Speaker 1: Our editors are Vincent to Johnny and Cas B Bias. Table for two is researched and written by Jack Sullivan.
Speaker 3: Our sound engineers are Meil B. Klein, Jess Krainich and Jesse Funk. Our music supervisor is Randall Poster. Our talent booking is done by Jane Sarkin.
Speaker 1: Table for two's social media manager is Gracie Wiener. Special thanks to Amy Sugarman, Uni Scherer, Kevin Yuvane, Bobby Bauer, Alison Kanter Graber. For more podcast from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.