Speaker 1: Okay, Happy Monday. Welcome to another episode of the Chuck Podcast. I have a fascinating guest today that I think you're going to be very interested in hearing from. It's Democratic Congresswoman Jasmine Crockett from Dallas. My guess is, if you haven't heard an interview of her then, and you've only seen clips, you may have drawn a conclusion about her based on snippets, based on social media, based on a TikTok, based on this. Well, here's what you're going to get today. You're going to get forty plus minutes getting to know the congresswoman. This isn't going to be short snippets and sound bites and all of that. And I just have a feeling that if you have not had spent a long time listening to her and just have a sort of quick take hot take about her, after you listen to this interview, you will follow those hot takes where they belong, which is probably somewhere in the garbage. Anyway, The point is, I think you'll learn a lot and listen to the conversation through the premise, and I'm going to have a couple of conversations over the next week about this because she's making one recommendation of how Democrats should deal with this current moment. I'm gonna row conna on. He's going to make another He's going to have another take. You've heard other Democrats make their take, and that's there. Really is an interesting debate that is happening. You're going to see it, I think over the next couple of years, frankly through in the run up to the eventual actual start of the presidential primary campaign on the Democratic side. But of just what tactic is better. Do you need to be Trump light, do you need to be a bit hot if you will on social media? Or is this a time to actually zag just as Trump is zigging. But before I get to that, I think we should talk about the week ahead that we're going to have in politics and where the news is going to be made. President Trump is going overseas. It's his first official overseas trip. Even though he actually took one to the Pope's funeral, that was an unplanned This was the plan, and just like he did in his first term, he decided to make Saudi Arabia his first stop and the relationship that he has developed with Saudi Arabia and UAE and Qatar is quite close, and he's, let's just be honest, he's blurring the lines between public and private in a way that that that it's it's not even subtle, right, it's it's it's so it's so blatant. But I think at the heart of what you're going to see this week, and the shiny metal object of the week is going to be the news that was broken over the weekend. And we had already gotten hints of this, and that is the the fact that the President of the United States is about to accept the largest gift that any entity has ever given the United States. And what if I told you that this gift was coming from the chief patron of the terrorist organization known as Hamas. You remember Hamas. This is the group behind the killing and kidnapping of Israelis and Americans on October seventh. This is a terrorist organization that has the blood of Americans on their hands, the blood of Israelis on their hands, the blood of other Palestinians on their hands. This is not a good group of people, Okay. Hamas is a bad organization and their chief protector is the government of Qatar. And what is the government of Kantar about to do. It's about to gift Donald Trump a plane, a seven forty seven. And Donald Trump, it's considered it's so ornate that it's called a palace in the sky. So Donald trum, what's to accept this gift? He toured He sort of kicked the tires on this plane down in Palm Beach when it was parked there. It was just sort of showing it off to him, and he got to tour it. Look, there is an actual clause in the Constitution, the Emoluments Clause, that makes foreign gifts like this personally taking it illegal. Now, technically, the Trump government is saying that this is a gift to the US Air Force and that it'll eventually end up as a gift to the Trump Presidential Library. And so since it is not being given to an individual and it is not connected to any specific act, that somehow this is not bribery and that somehow this is constitutional. Okay, So meanwhile, I'm about to sell you some land in the Everglade Swamp. If you'd like to buy that great land, trust me, you should be able to develop on it quite easily. Look, this is as corrupt of a bargain as we've seen any president ever make. And I know that it's it's hard to keep up with the amount of blatant corruption that has taken place in just the first one hundred and twenty so days. Right, this trip was preceded by the way this trip to the Middle East that the president is on was preceded by his sons going there doing some various business deals, including in the crypto space, in some ways laying the groundwork for the quote official presidential visit. And oh, by the way, the White House is actually signaling that, hey, this isn't a big national security visit, this isn't about Iran or the future of gods or anything like that, that this really is more of a business trip. Now they're claiming it's the business of you know, Gulf States doing business with the United States and with American businesses. And there's going to be a big event on the thirteenth, on Tuesday in Saudi Arabia that is a public private event in order to essentially connect American businesses with potentially with Saudi money. And look, Saudi Arabia is an ally, right, they're an ally. We can have the conversation about whether Saudi Arabia, Ua, and Qatar. Whether these countries are small, d democratic, here's a clue they're not. But certainly they have things we need, including access to energy. Right, this has always been a very transactional relationship that we've had with them. But what Donald Trump is doing it by personalizing this relationship. And there's already so many uncomfortable aspects to this. His son in law has private equity money that came from the Middle East in and around the deals he was doing for the so called Abraham Accords. Steve Manushan when he was Treasury Secretary, as he was leaving, was taking trips on official government business getting ready for his own private equity money that he now manages there and has a significant investment from these Middle Eastern players in the Gulf States. And now you've got the President the United States just blatantly accepting this plane. Now look the plane itself. There is no possibility this is legal. But the irity is that the White House is claiming they went to the Attorney General, and they went to the White House Council and they somehow think on a technicality that they're getting around any constitutional problems with accepting this gift. Whether it's legal or not, it's inappropriate. This is a terrible look the president of the United States. The United States of America can't afford to buy its own presidential plane, so they need a gift of a monarch slash dictator in the Middle East. They have to get a plane from them. By the way, it is a Boeing plane. At least it's American made. I will give the president that. It would have been even more awkward if if he was being gifted an air bus in order to make it the presidential plane. But if they remotely want to make this legal, if he's going to make it air Force one, and apparently that's what they're going to do. They're going to accept this plane. It's going to get essentially retrofitted with all the things a president needs in the air and it's going to be Air Force one for the remainder of Trump's term. Trump is frustrated because there was supposed to be a new Air Force one. There hasn't been a new Air Force one in thirty years, and there was supposed to be a new Air Force one. There's been delays and it looks like Boeing because they can't deliver anything on time. These days, Boeing is not going to be able to deliver this until twenty twenty nine, when Donald Trump will no longer be president. But he he needs his plane now. I guess he stomped his feet and pounded the table. He wants his plane. Give him his PS five, give him his video games. Now, give him his plane right now. Sometimes I've always said with Donald Trump, if you really want to understand his psyche, if you have a teenage boy, or had a teenage boy, then you know what it's like to manage Donald Trump. They want stuff instantaneously, they can't handle no for an answer, and they're always looking for a shortcut to get what they want. This has been Donald Trump's life for what is he now? It's going to be seventy nine in June, so the plane is going to be the latest shiny metal object. The irony to this is I think Donald Trump believes he's untouchable now right his own base is not going to care about this. The elected Republicans who all were outraged about Hunter Biden making money off of Joe Biden in his last name, have been incredibly silent as Eric and Donald Trump Junior have done this crypto business using their father's name to do this. Never mind half the deals they've been conducting in the Middle East, all all with overtures having to do with what the federal government, with the US government form policy, is going to do. It's totally been mixed in here. If Hunter Biden were doing ten percent of this, you might have had Democrats agreeing to impeachment proceedings against Joe Biden if this is how Hunter Biden and the business of the Bidens were behaving. But that's what the business of the Trump's are behaving. And I'll be very curious if any Republicans are comfortable putting sticking their head up and saying this is wrong. We saw what the crypto when he did his crypto fundraiser, where basically they announced, if you buy his fake token, the Trump coin, the top coin holders are going to get access to the president, going to get a private fundraiser, and then if you are really a top buyer of his coin, you get even further access to VIP two or possibly of the White House, possibly of something else. And Cynthia Lummus and a few others they thought, oh, that might be a bridge too far. And actual crypto advocates have quiet I actually been whispering that Donald Trump's greed with these Millennia coins and these Trump coins, his personal greed in trying to make and scam crypto money here is probably making it a lot harder to legitimize the idea of the crypto industry. And you saw some Democrats who are trying to be pro crypto here. Look, I'm a huge skeptic of this. It is, you know, ideal in baseball cards. There's no difference to me between crypto and baseball cards. I believe in the blockchain. The blockchain is an incredible technology, but we're not turning it into a currency, and we're not replacing the US dollar. And by the way, if you ever wanted to spend crypto, do you know what you have to do to spend crypto? You got to exchange it for the US currency. Then you can actually spend this money and it is and it is assigned to this So it is simply just buying something with a baseball card or buying something with a piece of art, except we're calling it crypto. And there's no doubt there's a lot of people who have over invested in Crypto and are desperate to see this legitimized and decided Donald Trump was their best vehicle to essentially try to get him to, you know, find a way to line his pockets with crypto, to make him invested in it so that he too wants to see some sort of federal government legitimizing crypto so that they can so they can all sort of make whatever money they think this crypto should be worth. They want to make it work. So you add all this up there, you know, this is one of those where I'm going to quote Bob Dole from nineteen ninety six when he was frustrated that when the Clintons were raising money in the White House. But I remember when Republicans thought that was a bridge too far. I'll be curious to see if any of these Republicans speak up today about the plane, about crypto, about this entire trip to the Middle East, which seems to be more about personal business dealings than it is for anything professional. On behalf of the federal government and behalf of the US taxpayers. But here we are, and the question is whether this is something that is going to be tolerated by elected officials. Look, he's been. I think he thinks he's untouchable because he's been impeached twice, and he's probably right, what are they going to do and peach him again? They don't have the votes, so they'll not do it. He knows he can get away with it, and he knows that there's enough people in his orbit also trying to surf with him and make money off of these questionable deals that they're not going to say anything. And some of these folks are getting campaign money from some of these groups in order to also keep quiet. So look, this is a it's a blatant violation of the Constitution. Anybody trying to claim that it's not is just rationalizing craziness, if you will. The idea that this somehow meets does it violate the Amolument's clause is willful ignorance on that front. So look, I think this trip is he at some you know, I don't know, right, I used to say, at some point, this is you know, there's only so much the public can take. There might be only so much elected officials can take, but maybe not. We are living in such a transactional environment these days. Everybody's got to get theirs everybody's got to monetize this. Everybody's had that. And there's also such a nobody's shocked anymore that Donald Trump is always trying to make personally gain on whatever he's involved with. In fact, in his own mind, he probably sees this to the plane or any of these deals as sort of a commission. Hey, I'm making the deal. Why shouldn't I get a little something? Trust me, if you want to ask him that question, I promise you if he would, you could lead him down that road where he would sort of accept the prevature. Yeah, I should get a little something for the effort, because these people are only making deals because they're making deals with me. That's that would be the an example of that kind of of that kind of rationalization. So look, this is this should be one of those things that should be extraordinarily uh one of these moments. It should be a feeding frenzy, and it won't be. There should be bipartisan outrage, but there won't be. Again, I'm old enough to remember when Nuke Gingrich thought the Democratic Speaker of the House Jim Wright, was unfairly making money on a book deal and drove him out of the speakership. I'll be curious to see if Nuke Gingrich says a word about what's going on with with with Qatar essentially bribing the United States, because here is Katar the chief patron of AMAS, and they're they're doing everything they can to keep us off their back, how by essentially buying America off by the way, Qatar has been buying up you know, they have a piece of the Wizards and the Caps. This is not a small, d democratic country, mind you. And yet they have been buying up various entities in DC. They are huge, Uh, they're huge, sort of contributors to the lobbying community as a whole. There's plenty of events that get held in DC that couldn't be held without the generosity of the Kataris. And that's the that's the corrupt bargain that I think both parties have made with the with these Gulf states. Again, these are places that don't give women equal rights, that treat that don't that don't exactly have democratic values, and we turn the other way because of how much money they give they put into our system in this town. Uh. And then of course whatever personal benefit that is happening with the Trump family and the derivative businesses involving the Trump family. So look, this is I've said before it's kleptocracy, that he's turned the party in the kleptocracy. This is yet the latest sign. I mean, the idea that he is going to get a personal plane to use once he's done being president from Katar via this gift to the federal government. I mean, it is audacious. That is audacious. I will give you that. I mean, every time you think, boy, would he really do that, you know what the answer is, The answer is always yes. All right. A few other things I want to hit on. I was glad to see that the Vice President and the Secretary State did get involved in India and Pakistan and trying to get this ceasefire. Is the last time i'd left, you made it pretty clear that I think what was happening over there is an indirect result of america retreat, essentially of the Trump administration signaling that America is going to be retreating from the world stage, not wanting multilateral agreements and all of this, and that there was going to be this this pullback. When you have this pullback, more countries are going to take matters into their own hands. When you signal that you're for nationalism, you're signaling the other countries they should be nationalistic in their decision making, whether it's on the economy or national security, and I think that we had that. But it was good to see that both Ruvio Advance realized that America is the essential nation, whether whether we want to admit it or not. And if we're not involved, nobody else is going to get involved to try to try to stop a war between two nuclear powers. So I was glad to see it. I know there's been some back and forth, you know, if you're telling me the United States is over the role that Rubio and Vance played because Donald Trump announced it. I know. I'm shocked that that could possibly be the case. But the fact is we did get involved a little bit. A few other things that I want to get to before we get to the conversation with Jasmine Crockett. I can't believe the ad campaign speaking of US taxpayer dollars being used for personal and political purposes. I was on Saturday morning. There wasn't a lot to watch as far as live sports was concerned, so I put on my ESPN Plus. I was watching a little multi screen of the Truest Championship. It's a golf tournament based in Philadelphia, and it had a lot of the top tier golfers actually participating. Right these non major events, they're usually frankly, you know, I'm sort of a I watch golf if there's nothing else on, and there are players that I recognize playing, and in this case there were Roy mack le Roy people like that. Well, there was one ad that kept running over and over, and it was an ad paid for by the US Homeland Security Department, and it was voiced by Christy no and it was basically bragging about all the arrests, bragging about showing footage of that questionable prison that's been run in El Salvador that certainly has plenty of outside groups say violates basic human rights and certainly doesn't abide by I think US standards of how we would be expected to keep a prisoner and things like that, and it's paid for with US TEXTPA. It felt like a campaign ad. You know, she was saying President We're keeping President Trump's promise, We're rounding these people up. And it was clear think about what this was being advertised on golf. The demographic of the golf fan is older and wider, and they are trying desperately to make them think that a roundup has taken place. So they put the big number on screen, one hundred thousand detained, and I guess in order to have it pass legal muster. At the end is this awkward transition where Nomes says, so download the app. If you download the app, you can avoid this fate and you might be able to come back. So it was clear that that was what their lawyer instructed them, that if you want to run this campaign at paid for with taxpayer dollars, you've got to at least make an attempt to do a public service of some sort, and right at the very end, the public services to download the CPP app in order to avoid the fate apparently of going to prison in Al Salvador. I will just say again, considering what I opened with with this plane, you know, to find other bits, the amount of sort of illegal uneff, the goal behavior taking place in different cabinet agencies. It's just blows my mind. And this one again, is it going to rise up a lot of people aren't going to notice it, but it's your taxpayer dollars being used to try to sort of buff up President Trump's image on the border and again or and frankly a way too for Christy Nome to give herself more of a national name as well, but again using taxpayer dollars, because I promise you there wasn't the people they're trying to get to download that app weren't watching the truest Championship golf tournament. All right, There's a lot more that I wanted to get to. We've got current negotiations as I'm talking now here on Sunday evening. We know that the China talks in Switzerland continue, fourth round of talks with Iran continue. It is clear Donald Trump, being missed not the best negotiator. His signal he's desperate to make a deal with both of them. So some form of a deal I think is going to be coming, and coming soon. It'll be interesting to see how the Gulf States. By the way, there's no doubt Donald Trump's not going to want to have an Iranian deal while he's over there. So my guess is that that continues to get slow walked a little bit. He wants to get through his trip with the Saudi's UAE guitar and then and you know, get his loot, including the plane. Then when he comes back, my guess is that's when he's going to do that Iran deal, because the Iran Deal isn't going to be popular in Saudi Arabia and the Iron Deal isn't going to be popular in Israel, because it's clear jd Vance has already signaled this that they plan to allow some Uranian enrichment if it's for quote unquote civilian power it is. I'll tell you this, it looks like Donald Trump's pulling a NAFTA that basically he's doing the same deal. He's going to be cutting pretty much the same deal with the Iranians at Barack Obama cut, but they're just going to give it a different name and say, hey, look it's a brand new deal. And as for China, obviously he already signaled he desperately wants to bring down the tariffs and wants jointly to bring down the tariffs. Doesn't want to look like we're doing it unilaterally begging the Chinese to deal with us. So I imagine something is coming there because again we're the ones desperate to make a deal, and the Chinese do want to make a deal as well. All right enough for me, I hope you enjoyed this introduction. Again, I cannot believe that this is I mean, this feels like a bad movie plot that the President of the United States is taking a plane as a gift. It's a gift to the country and he's going to pocket it personally. It's and somehow this is just going to be allowed to happen. I will say this Congress will have the power to prevent the Air Force from transferring ownership of that plane to the Trump Library, if they so choose to use that power. Maybe a Republican House and a Republican Senate wouldn't do it, But would a Democratic House and a Republican Senate do it? I think they might just something to keep an eye all right, let me sneak in a break and when we come back. Fascinating conversation with one of the rising stars of the Democratic Party, Jasmine Crockett. All right in joining me now is one of the rising stars of the Democratic Party, Jasmine Crockett, Democratic congresswoman from Dallas, Texas representing the thirtieth Congressional District. Congresswoman, welcome to the Chuck Podcast.
Speaker 2: It's good to see you.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I'm going to make you do one of my favorite old from the Old Colbert Show was get to know a congressional district when he used to do that. So tell me yours, take, give, give, my give, our listeners and viewers. Here a quick tour of the thirtieth district in Dallas, and you know, point out a few landmarks. You know, is the school Book Depository in your district or not? Is SMU? I say that as a future father of an SMU student starting next fall. So tell me about the geographic and the and the demographic nature of your district.
Speaker 3: Yes, So when most people think of Dallas, it belongs to me. Most people associate downtown Dallas and the downtown Skyline with Dallas, and all of that is mine. But basically that's pretty much as far north as I go. I go a little bit further north and I get to Dallas love Field, which for all of my Southwest lovers, that is exactly where Southwest Airlines is based, along with the JSX Airlines for those that like a little bit more luxury or I found out that your dogs get to fly and kind of have all the space that they want.
Speaker 1: Not right, Yes, I've never heard of this thereline they let dog free.
Speaker 3: It's I don't know, I haven't been on it, but that's what a dog lover told me, is like they only fly JSX now because of the space that their dog is.
Speaker 2: They don't have to put like their dog under or in a cage or something.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then you go down.
Speaker 1: In your district, love field is mine, I gotcha, okay.
Speaker 2: And then you.
Speaker 3: Go all the way to the southern Dallas County border. You can get from one end of my district to the other in about thirty minutes, which there's not a lot of members of Congress that can say that.
Speaker 2: So that means that my district is pretty compact.
Speaker 3: You get to the southern border and that kind of ends the districts, but you start to get into suburbs.
Speaker 2: My district is majority minority. It is a Section two district.
Speaker 3: So for those of you that have been looking into the fights that have been waged at the Supreme Court level, and it's all about representation and especially people of color being able to elect the representation. It is a very historic district. I am only the second person to ever represent the district. My predecessor was.
Speaker 1: She got Eddie Bernie Johnson, Kirkman Farmer. Was it ninety two her first year, Yes, yes, exactly after the voting basically the Updated Voting Rights Act that created the Bush the first Bush Bush forty one Justice Department in many ways helped for a variety of political motivations, but helped make sure there was more representation in African Americans in Congress.
Speaker 3: And she was actually in the Senate, the last black woman to actually serve in the Texas Senate. We've only had two. The first one is Barbara Jordan. And so she actually chaired the redistricting committee that ended up drawing these maps. And then so she chaired that committee, did that in nineteen ninety and ninety two, she ran for the seat, won the seat, and she served until twenty two basically, and then I swore in in twenty twenty three. The reason that I brought up JSX and Southwest Airlines is because I really do have an aviation rich district. Not only do I have kind of two airlines that are right there anchored in my district. American Airlines is right up the street, not in my district, but they're so big that they claim us all that is for sure. But also air Bus, which some people are starting to hear more about Airbus as Boeing what's having issues. Usually if you are flying domestically on a plane, it is typically an Airbus plane or Boeing, And so Airbus actually has a facility that's within my district. Airbus is probably better known for their helicopters. If you're in the aviation kind of world, they are the ones that build pretty much all of our life saving helicopters, whether they are helicopters for firefighters and they're helping to fight wildfires or whether we're talking about the coast Guard or whether we're talking about law enforce. They specially retrofit the helicopters to be, you.
Speaker 2: Know, specific to whichever area they're in.
Speaker 3: So with that, I have a lot of aviation, so I have had to learn a lot about aviation. But one of the coolest things that I was able to do that I think every member should be allowed to do, is I was able to actually take a look of my district from above because Airbus took me on a helicopter ride around my district.
Speaker 1: So what did that teach you. What did that show you?
Speaker 3: So you know, you have people that come in and they give you numbers or they tell you that they have a type of industry. I could see it. So I am a logistically heavy district, Like logistics run the world. So beyond these kind of airplanes. These airplanes are flying in to Dallas Love or even DFW is where a lot of our commerce is flying into. But you know, one of the things my predecessor worked on was an inland port.
Speaker 2: And now I.
Speaker 3: Could see all the trucks. So I saw all of these distribution centers.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I knew that Home Depot had two distribution centers in my district and there's no other district in the country that has to. And mind you, I'm compact, so I was thinking, oh, I must have a lot. But JC Penny's National distribution Center is right there in my district and so many others. But I could see it. I could see all of the trucking So in talking to those that were like, I've got a number of trucking schools and I've talked to some of the owners. So it really kind of put it all together for me to see it from above, and it would probably surprise some people that I've actually ridden attractor trailer in my district as well, So you go just into my suburbs and you can get into a little bit of farming as well. But it's mostly an interurban kind of district. And so we've got some of the big corporate biggies that are based there at and T and others.
Speaker 2: A dating site that I won't miss it.
Speaker 1: I mean, you tell me that the place feels like a magnet right now, meaning people just want to move to that region, People want to move to that area.
Speaker 3: Do you feel that, Oh yeah, I mean listen, during COVID, the DFW area was growing exponentially, and overall we've seen the growth in Texas just kind of be off the charts. They thought we were going to get four new seats in redistricting. We feel like there may have been an undercount. There was a little pandemic that was going on. We got three new seats and now they're projecting for twenty thirty they will get an additional four seats. So no, we are growing leaps and bounds in the state of Texas. But truly DFW has been one of those fastest growing areas.
Speaker 1: So how'd you get to Texas? How'd you get to Dallas? Because I know you were born and were you how long did you live.
Speaker 2: In Saint Louis till I was eighteen?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're you're so, do you consider.
Speaker 2: I am Lewis?
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, but no, I left at eighteen and that was like, I'm like coming back and I haven't been back.
Speaker 2: So left at eighteen.
Speaker 1: S Lewis is a tragedy to me in so many levels. I just I it really. I have a lot of family there, I've been have so many I go to. I go there all the time for various family events. Yeah, and Saint Louis was this amazing, thriving city for you know, essentially for the first eighty years of the twentieth century. And it's sort of like it's like it lost every like it lost every deal right TWA left and you know this left and the financial age edwards left and the just it all just and you're like, I remember during the Amazon headquarters debate, I was like, please go to Saint Louis, Please put it in Saint Louis. It is we need to revise this great American city. What would you do if you could wave a magic.
Speaker 2: Wand I think that you're right.
Speaker 3: I mean, even though I still would not want to go home, I do. I think that you point out an interesting fact because I feel like Saint Louis didn't keep up. I feel like Saint Louis was ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: We had the Mississippi to the west.
Speaker 1: It was about that was the port everything.
Speaker 3: Went through up and down the Mississippi right, So like this was like a bustling area, but like as far as being able to kind of transition with the times and being able to kind of keep up, I think at one point in time it was like they were ahead of the times, and then they got a little bit behind. I mean, I'm glad that Anheuser Bush is still right there anchored in Saint Louis.
Speaker 1: I know, but it's really it's, you know, look the.
Speaker 3: Truck they're all over because I don't know the right there in my district in Texas, Yes, we actually have the sixth largest beer distributor right there in my district. I do lots of Vedam district too, But nevertheless, Anne has Bush still is, you know, I mean, that's this is I grew up as a girl.
Speaker 2: Looking at the class deals.
Speaker 3: I mean, a very big thing, but I think that it's a lesson that we need to learn. I mean, if I had a magic wand, I would say that I would try to get the population in Saint Louis educated in a future workforce capacity or a present day workforce capacity, understanding technology understanding STEM, which also goes with technology obviously, but I would get them focused on that figuring out who is going to be over making sure that we can safeguard what AI is and what it ain't. So we need people that are trained up and knowledgeable enough. But we'll do the good work of being government employees, even though you could go out in private industry and make more, but I would really steer them towards more technology. And then even as we talk about logistics, like I don't really know what other kind of logistical kind of angles they have besides the actual Mississippi right.
Speaker 1: So honestly, it's not a bad one.
Speaker 3: I know it's not long that I'm definitely not seeing that, But like the fact is, I'm talking to you about my district and how many planes come through, right, Like W is one of the.
Speaker 1: Laws that's commerce and commerce leads to.
Speaker 2: Jobs, and that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: So like it's kind of you know, and and when I talked about those trucks, right, it's the trains, it's the trucks, and it's the planes, right. And so even though I don't have a big river coming through my district, we are doing logistics. And logistics is so ort it was so important because you know, traditionally we have been a global economy. We historically have been building and building and building out our our our trade.
Speaker 2: You know, in a very global way.
Speaker 3: And now I don't really know so, but I would say building around what you have that naturally occurs and building that up, I think it could be fantastic and phenomenal. So I think logistics would be a very strong space. And then from an educational space, I think just anything that you could do for getting people trained up for AI, which I think is truly taken over in this moment. And the reason I say it's a lesson is because I think that we are not paying attention to like what happened to the Saint louis Is of the world, right and deciding that we won't be that as a country. And I think that we are running the risk of that, especially as we're going through these mass deportations and things like that, like not making sure or not allowing us to have the best of everything that we can have.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, it's helped Detroit they took a lot of immigrant populations, they took a lot of refugees. You know, it's helped Minneapolis, Saint Paul, they took a lot of refugees. Refugees and first gen immigrants are the building blocks of economic dynamism within a generation.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: And literally I've traveled the world on congressional delegation trips where my colleagues speak a lot differently when we get out to other portions of the world.
Speaker 1: Don't you wish that that's the way Congress work? Those I hear, those codels are what get members of Congress to run for reelection again, meaning it sort of it gives them hope. Boy, when we don't have a bunch of idiot reporters like me running around shoving tape recorders in your face or trying to get you to trash each other, you guys could get some stuff done.
Speaker 3: No, I mean they believe in climate change. When we're out of the country, like it's like a whole other world. When we start talking about the exchange programs, like most people don't know, as we talk about in healthcare, healthcare worker shortage that like Thailand produces like more nurses than anybody, and so as we're trying to make sure that we can take care of our population, and as there are people that are looking for opportunities and they're already trained up, or the fact that there's these attacks on our institutions right now, well that's not helping when it comes down to exchange programs and being able to take the unique backgrounds that some of these amazing students have and bring them in in a collaborative way, or when we're snatching students off the streets right and throwing them into some form of captivity and revoking their student visas, like that's not making people want to send some of their best and brightest to the institutions that historically have been looked at as the best institutions. I can't tell you how many times we've sat down across from whether it was a Prime minister or a president or a secretary of this or that, and they tell us that they went over to the United States and got their education. Literally, people around the world have been educated right here in the United States, and people in their home countries respect that.
Speaker 2: They look at that and it has been a badgot That's.
Speaker 1: Why they're in charge, exactly because getting an American education put them a little bit higher on their ladder.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. And I don't know that that's going to be the case going forward.
Speaker 1: So let me start with you've been in Congress a short time. There's gonna be some people this is the first time they've heard you for more than a few minutes, meaning they may have gotten a piece of you, maybe seen something go viral. When it comes to communicating in the modern era, going viral matters, But going viral can be a double edged sort. And I think you tell me, I feel like you've experienced both edges of that sort at times. How much of it is a necessary evil in your mind, and how much of this is just, Hey, this is the way it works now, and you know this is the way I have to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't think virality matters. That may not be a popular opinion, but when I got elected, no one in my district ever expected or thought that I would go viral. So I don't think that it matters in the sense that I think people should say, if I'm going to be relevant in politics, then this is what needs to be done. We know that one of the most unpopular people in Congress, she has gone viral a lot, and you know, when it comes down to her being able to raise money, She's been able to raise money from every crevice of kind of the country because of that, and that's kind of how she's been able to build a platform. But I think has huh build I don't think she has, right, Like, so the things.
Speaker 1: That really assume you're referring to Margie Taylor Green, I am, yeah, No, I say that because I think that that's that's the you know, that's usually what happens if you want to be if you want to try to go that road, you're not going to actually get stuff done on the inside.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I think that that that is a risk that certain people run. It depends on, like for what reasons. Right, Like, for instance, I was just applauding Lauren Underwood for an exchange that she had this week with Christine Nome, and you know, it went viral. I mean, it's kind of everywhere where Christy Nome is kind of wavering on, you know, the Constitution and whether or not you know she is Secretary of the Department of Homeland, should actually like follow it, right, you know. I think that there are certain things that it absolutely is very important that that information gets out. And for some people, if I'm being honest, like a lot of people that may be listening in, they obviously have time to do it. But the reality is that the average American is trying to figure out how they're going to put food on the table, a roof over their head, clothes on their kids' backs, and so they only have time for a TikTok, right Like, they only have those little moments, And so I do think it does bring value in that way. But as far as being an actual member of Congress, No, I think what matters most as a member of Congress is that you sit down and you do things like what we do, which is we send out weekly emails that are newsletters that give you pictures of the meetings that I've taken with uptext on what happened in those meetings. You can see videos, video clips of meet and commit You can see me in district if that's where I was, and then we give out other information. We also send out mailers. We also do what we call community like office hours, so we go out and we don't make people necessarily come in, so sometimes they're after hours, but they are in other parts of our district. So we've been to every single city multiple times, and we send out text messages with information. I think that's what matters in Congress because ultimately, regardless of how viral a member may or may not be, at the end of the day, you only get reelected one way, and that way is by making sure that you are communicating with your district.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to go in so many directions here, including Texas politics, but let me start with the Oversight Committee. Oh God, because no, I mean I sit there. You know. Look, I'm one of those journalists who always rolls their eyes when there's an oversight committee hearing, right, because it feels like predictable partisan talking points, right if its depending on who's you know, of one half of the questioners defending the person being being questioned in the other half, and then it's always like, oh whoa a member of the same party asked a tough question right, that becomes the news rather than let me ask you this. You've you've watched this, now you've participated. How can we improve oversight? And would it be better if there were no TV cameras?
Speaker 2: It would absolutely be better if there were no cameras. I'm sure that that will never happen.
Speaker 1: But I know c SPAN is one of those things like, hey, look, I'm a sunshine guy, but I also don't believe in cameras in the courtroom. Give me audio. Give me all the audio in the world. I'll take all the live audio in the world. If we cameras in the courtroom gives us too many Lancidos, and that's not a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think though, I mean, if you've got people, if you've got like a president that doesn't understand that he took an oath to the Constitution, like to protect and defend it, I don't I think you're given them a little too much credit. Like we have people that are elected in government and truly don't understand how it works. And so in order for oversight to work the way that it should, then it honestly would take people that understand what we're supposed to be doing. For instance, today I had to have a DOGE subcommittee hearing, and for everybody out in the general public, when they hear DOGE, they hear Department of Governmental Efficiency. This is all supposedly about efficiency. The reason that we have had to fire a historic number of you know, federal employees in such a short amount of time is because it's more efficient. Not true, right, like, but all of these things that we've experienced. The reason that you know, people may not have their life saving healthcare across you know, the ocean, is because they had to cut off USAID because it was efficient. Like that's what it was coined as. And my hearing today was about trans people fencing. I mean our argument was, please tell me what part of like we read through the mission of dog as they created the subcommittee, what does that have to do with anything?
Speaker 2: And then they even admit it.
Speaker 3: They were like, well, yeah, you know US fencing. We know that we don't give you any money, you get no federal doubts.
Speaker 1: What are we doing Wait a minute, let me let me get this straight. The US fencing team as in like the little it was the sword fighting, is that what we're talking about.
Speaker 2: It's all about fencing.
Speaker 3: This was about girls fencing and I'm trying to think of the name of the I'll get you the name.
Speaker 1: Of the world meaning but meaning that you know, with the work mask and all this stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, yes, we had to have.
Speaker 1: A hearing by hearing on sword fighting, like I mean.
Speaker 3: So literally it's like, I mean, I hear you, right, but like these people don't even understand and maybe they wouldn't have a hearing on.
Speaker 2: That there were no cameras, like maybe like.
Speaker 1: I don't, Well, that's the thing. I mean, that's that's would be one of my contentions is that you take away the incentive to to essentially, you know, perform for a base political base. And in that case, there's no doubt that's just performance, right, that's just throwing chum into the water. Would it cut back on that, and you know, I assume it would, But then again, you know, would the country be even less informed about what Congress does? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly.
Speaker 1: Let's tell let's talk about this internal I don't know what you call it debate. This is it a generational divide or an ideological divide inside the Democratic Party? And are they one and the same?
Speaker 2: I think it is more ideological. I think that.
Speaker 3: You can find persons that absolutely believe that there needs to be a more aggressive kind of fight in this moment, and they're all ages, you know. And when I think about some of you know, the strongest voices, you know, I'm always going to say Maxine Waters is going to be like one of the first ones who's literally gonna call out whatever. In Maxine is like eighty six eighties. I mean, she's like up there, right, And I don't think anyone I.
Speaker 1: Don't hear a lot of progressive saying that that either Maxine Waters or Bernie Sanders are too old to be talking correct.
Speaker 2: So that's why I really don't think.
Speaker 3: I think that it's more so a mindset, and I think that they are more so concerned about kind of those that are stuck in tradition and stuck in this idea of the institutions while not recognizing that the institutions are literally burning around us, right like they're like over there, you know, they've got their water hoses. They're like nope, nope, it's we're going to I vacillate.
Speaker 1: Look, you're I'm one of these people. I vacillate between Hey, let's let's save the institution. Verse is now let's rebuild the institution, meaning like you know, you got to save what's left, you got a salvage what you have, right. And I understand that's probably an older mindset, right, one that says, oh, I'm back in my day, I remember this all came together, versus those that are newer to the situation, going, what are you talking about? Like that didn't work, That's why we're here, right.
Speaker 3: So I think it's more so our issue is more so how do you save the institution?
Speaker 2: And what is worth salvaging?
Speaker 3: Right? Because when you think about like a house burning, like if there's a child or a loved one in there, you're going to go and like, let me go get the kid, right, Like forget the clothes, forget the pictures. And I think that that's where we are. It's like what parts of this are worth saving? Because there are parts of this that failed us in the first place, and frankly some of them that never worked anyway, like never worked in a way that they worked for all of us.
Speaker 2: But I think the biggest debate is like how do you do that?
Speaker 3: Right? I think that that is why there's the discussions about David Hogg and his approach to it, and it's like, do you go after you know, safe Democrats and decide that you're going to primary them, or do you just say never mind, like a democrat is a Democrat, go after the Republicans because they are the ones that.
Speaker 2: Are the arsonists of this story.
Speaker 3: I think that like it's about how you fight that we kind of differ, or you know, you can look, the State of the Union is really the best example of like how everyone sees this moment differently, right, Like it's like we went out, we campaigned, we were like, this fool is a dictator and he's going to try to.
Speaker 2: Tear everything down.
Speaker 3: And that was before the one hundred days, when we literally have receipts of him doing it right. And he's up there and he's given a State of the Union, And who is it that is most disruptive a man in his seventies. It's Al Green, someone who is of the civil rights error and believes in civil disobedience.
Speaker 1: And this horse, as the late John Lewis used to call it, good trouble.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and he believes in dealing with this completely differently.
Speaker 2: And then you have those that sat there and didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: Then you have those that had the signs that everybody got drove about, and then you had those of us that decided that we were going to walk out right. I think that that's the issue. I think that in our hearts, none of us like what's going on. It's just a matter of we cannot get on a similar page of like what does the response look like? What does the fight look like? And I think that's really our bigger issue. And I think that some people believe if you've been in the institution too long, that there's no way you were willing to fight back against it.
Speaker 1: What's your assessment of how the Democrats got into the situation.
Speaker 3: I think it's been being too nice to be perfectly honest. I mean, I remember when I was in the state House, and you know, we fled Texas and we went to DC and we were trying to kind of ring the alarms about these horrific voter suppression bills that the Heritage Foundation dropped into Texas, dropped into Georgia, dropped into Florida. Like they were being very strategic about making sure that they could minimize certain voices. And so you know what, I wish that the Democrats in the Senate would have pushed half as hard and said, you know what, when it comes to something foundational such as voting rights, which we are basically taking our authority from the Constitution, there's a car about for that right. Like they have come up with carveouts for what they wanted to do, and I think that that could have prevented some of it. It's the same thing as relates to the reauthorization of the Voting Rights Acts, like they now have gone in and decimated so many of these districts because they're like, oh well, it's like district's gone wild, right, And when you look at our margins in the House, we lost by three seats.
Speaker 1: Oh, you lost by redistricting. You didn't lose it. You lost by the Florida and the North Carolina remaps and in New York and the inability to do the remat in New York. No, this was all done in the courtroom now, correct, correct.
Speaker 2: But they had the legislation right, and they refused to do a carveout.
Speaker 3: So like, if we're not going to fight for our foundational things, then I get why people are like, I'm gonna sit at home, and I'm gonna sit on the couch because, yeah, they may do bad, but y'all might doing nothing anyway.
Speaker 1: Right, So let me ask this, why do you think Trump won? And why do you think he won with some voters that were on the Blue team at least in twenty twelve and twenty twenty. I'm not so sure they were there in twenty sixteen. I think they didn't show up.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say that this was a ViBe's election, and I think.
Speaker 1: I hate that expression no offense. I don't know, but I know vibes. This is the cranky old man in me. You know, my gen exer. You're almost you're you're like you you're millennial technical.
Speaker 2: I am barely, but you're.
Speaker 1: A little more gen x in probably how you lived.
Speaker 2: Yes, So what I will say is this.
Speaker 3: The reason that I say that is because how many interviews have you seen where you ask people, well, why did you vote for Trump?
Speaker 2: They can't give you a policy, so we know.
Speaker 1: It always felt to me it was a vote against, not a vote for.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that.
Speaker 3: I definitely felt like as far as the people that were willing to talk, I felt like it was absolutely a vote for him, and if they talked about policies, it still wasn't really policies. Like I remember being on the road and talking to various men, mostly black men, and I say what's up and they'd be like, well, we feel like the Democratic Party is emasculating us. And then I'd say, how so, right, Like they still weren't talking about policy right, Like they weren't Like it's not like they answered with like policy per se. The only thing that they would say about quote unquote policy was about trans vote right, And I would explain to them that it's a distraction because I remember being at a barbershop in Philly and talking to a guy and he had this beautiful little daughter that was running around, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, well, I mean, I hear you, and I'm not going to.
Speaker 3: Ask you to change how you believe about whatever you believe in that kind of stuff, But like, tell me, is that going to better your ability to say, own your own barbershop one day? Is that going to better your ability to take care of your child? And frankly, if you are concerned about who's playing sports, can you tell me which trans children go to school with your daughter right now? And like he was like, I mean, I'm a vote for her, but those are the only you know what I mean. But it was kind of like that, And so.
Speaker 1: How big do you think this was there? How big do you think this black man voter issue with Kamala Harris? How much of that do you think was specific to hesitation of voting a black man hesitating to vote for a black woman.
Speaker 3: I will tell you what I was told, because I did think that I definitely think that there was misogyny in this across the board, no matter what color male you're talking about. I just think that you'd be an error to not like know that there was misogyny that existed. I will say this though, the very first polling briefing that we had with a polster that I trust a lot, he briefed the Black Caucus and he said that one of the issues that he was running into with black and brown.
Speaker 2: Communities was that she had been a prosecutor.
Speaker 1: And this was more of a resume thing that there was.
Speaker 3: There was definitely some resume stuff that this allowed her from being able to build the type of rapport of trust within these marginalized communities that historically have been targeted.
Speaker 1: This was a huge problem in her own campaign for president during the primaries, which is why she pivoted. She was trying to get out of that because that was being used by other Democratic campaigns to say, hey, you know, she was a prosecutor, she was black men in jail, and the thing is she right, which is why she went down the busing road with you know, she had to go to some places that she probably wouldn't have normally gone, but she felt she had to because she was trying to fix her own biography issues.
Speaker 3: So literally early numbers that we were given, and I promise you, I really do trust this.
Speaker 2: Polster said that.
Speaker 3: So if you think back to my DNC speech, one of the things that they actually the guidance that I was given was to actually lean into her being a prosecutor.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh hell, I'm like that is not helpful, right.
Speaker 3: And so so when I did it, I did a bit of a swing on it right as a criminal defense attorney, and I explained, like, this is the kind of prosecutor all would have won it, right, Like, so I built it that way. But I did talk to some people, even a prominent rapper who was like, I'm going to support her, but I don't feel comfortable openly endorsing her.
Speaker 2: But I'm going to vote for her. And I'm like why.
Speaker 3: And so he told me that one of the issues was just kind of like the prosecutor thing, and I said, and I made sure to talk about the things that we have been told moved the needle with these groups, right, like knowing that she had like second chance programs and things like that, like letting them know that she was one of the good ones, like one of the ones that we would have wanted, if it was Breonna Taylor. That I mean, like, that's the kind that you want, right, So we were trying to do that. But I think, and it goes back to kind of the Trump phenomenon. I think that what had been baked in about the vice president was that she was a prosecutor. They did not know very much beyond that, And when you're talking about one hundred and seven days of a campaign, it's kind of hard to get that across in actually.
Speaker 1: A classic case where more time would have helped at least on that issue.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I absolutely believe that, especially since you want people to not fear you, but you want them to like trust you.
Speaker 2: That's what it comes down to.
Speaker 3: It It's like trust and you know, it's like you can point out how many lives Trump does or whatever.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons I.
Speaker 3: Think that he got away with trying to paint us as liars is where like this dude is not a good businessman, but you got to think about his profile and you have to think about.
Speaker 2: Who he is.
Speaker 3: And this is very specific to him. You have traveled the country, potentially the world and seen buildings with the name Trump on the side of them, and then you don't get enough FaceTime with somebody to explain, no, his name is on the building, but he don't own the building. Like you don't like get to get into the minutia on that. So he had been built up as this amazing smart businessman who had all this money instead of like, no, he inherited money when he was born, and frankly, he would have had more money if he just sat on that money and didn't do anything because he.
Speaker 2: Do you know how hard Yeah, yeah, somebody else beat the house.
Speaker 3: I know, it's crazy, but like it's but still like how many people know all of these details?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And so that's what So there was this longstanding kind of idea of Trump as this successful, smart, hard businessman. And then for the most part, what people knew about the vice president is that she had been a prosecutor. She had been a prosecutor on the state level, she had been the attorney general.
Speaker 2: Like they only kind of knew her in that way, because I.
Speaker 3: Remember struggling with it way before we were figuring out who was gonna run for what or whatever. Sure was this issue or this idea of people that said, well, I voted for I voted for Kamala, right, Like they went and voted for the ticket, right, voted for Joe and Kamala, But they really went because they wanted to vote for her, and they were saying things like, well, we haven't seen her, right, And so then it's like vice presidents are really not like that prominent, like that's not their job. They are supporting cast members, right. So I think we just really got and it wasn't until she was stepping in as the actual nominee that she could then go ahead and direct her way, and she just didn't have enough time in my life.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like she should get another shot at this?
Speaker 3: I think, I mean, I think that she should do what she feels like is best. You know, one thing that people don't really evaluate is the toll that all of this takes on not only you but your family.
Speaker 2: And I think, you.
Speaker 3: Know, there were those that never thought that Joe Biden could win, and the third time was the charm. I can't say what will happen, And honestly, I personally feel like the only reason we ended up with Barack Obama was because everything had fallen apart. And so depending on how desperate people are, I think that it may absolutely propel your not so likely candidate. I think that people, potentially even misogynists, would like hold their nose and be like forget it.
Speaker 2: Say like I got to do well.
Speaker 1: I mean, there was a lot of those, you know, there were great stories about that that you know, you'd hear these stories about Barack Obama's two thousand and eight campaign. He'd go they'd have canvassers in western Pennsylvania and they'd go to these doors that today are probably mega voters, but in No. Eight they voted for Obama. And they refer to Obama as the African American candidate, but they didn't use African American and or black, and it gets to the point you just made, which is desperation sometimes gets you know, this is what I You know Trump and Obama have this in common. Yes, right, there's a hand there's a slice of voters who wanted massive change. Look, I go back. This is why I think ultimately Barack Obama made a mistake endorsing Hillary Clinton. No offense to Hillary Clinton. She certainly had earned a lot of things, and if this were at a job interview, she was the most qualified person for the job. But you and I both know it's not a job interview, right, It's a different type of deal. And I would argue that the Democratic Party picked Obama over Clinton because they didn't want the establishment in charge, and that when he went establishment that that may have been a fork in the road, that if you now go back in time, that maybe he should have taken a different a different path.
Speaker 3: Look, you were making an argument for the situation that we find ourselves in right now.
Speaker 1: Right, I mean no, which is why I knew I definitely think new is going to be I always say this. If you look at successful Democratic candidates for president, it's usually they're the new candidate there, you know, and they were not seen as the front runner at the start. Bill Clinton was that way, Jimmy Carter was that way. Barack Obama is that way. There is you know, new and electable, and it's subjective what electable is. But that's and the thing that I can't figure out is who's new because every name we're going to mention is not new because we're mentioning their names, right, it is going to be you know, people will mention Mark Cuban. I bet you know Mark Cuban a little bit better than most people, given he's a Dallas guy. Yeah, you know, I don't know if we if it's smart to go with sort of Trump light, but you know, who knows.
Speaker 3: I have no idea, but I do think that we won't truly have an idea of which way is going to go until we really get closer to the election, because I do believe the desperation is going to set in.
Speaker 2: I mean, we will find out.
Speaker 3: You know, there are those that are like, oh, we just got to take the house back, and you and I have already discussed how these lines are not set up for us. I mean, we are like an uphill climb in a lot of these races that we really should not be in. But even still, I think we are going to defy the odds. The question is that we're going to defy the odds and have you know three seats are we on? Are are we going to buy the odds?
Speaker 1: Can you have a working majority?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to have just a ton of people.
Speaker 3: And I think that that will be our first and then the Republicans will be given an opportunity to switch back and maybe slow down, right because they're like, whoa, this rat is big and it's going to continue on two years after that.
Speaker 1: I know you've got to go, and I don't want to keep you too long, but I do want to dabble in Texas politics. You served in that Texas State House. I think the most fascinating political story that no one's paying attention to is, and you know these folks is the leadership of the Texas House is a bipartisan is the result of a bipartisan effort that it was sort of a rejection of the of the more right wing elements of the Texas Republican Party. Is Texas a three party state, meaning there's sort of two Republican parties, sort of the John Cornyn Party and the and the Ken Paxtea Party version of it, and then there's the Democratic Party. I mean my described it a bit cynically, but.
Speaker 3: Correctly you are, as We're about to watch what happens in this primary, and I think that it's going to be interesting because all of the polling says that Paxton is the one that's going to make it out of that primary, and it's going to make the Republicans' ability to win the Senate seat more difficult than it had I can tell you for sure that with almost absolute certainty, if John Cornyan somehow managed to be the nominee.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's put it this way. There's a whole bunch of Dallas Republicans who haven't voted Republican for president, I'm guessing now since twenty twelve. Yeah, and they'll vote for John Cornyn. They're voting for Ken Paxton, correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct, correct.
Speaker 3: So you know, it'll be interesting to see how whichever candidates emerge in that Senate race, how they decide to play it. I think there's been this inclination to kind of try to be like Republican esque, and it's not worked so far. So I just I really don't think that well, which path works?
Speaker 1: I mean, neither one of them worked, right. Beto didn't do that. Beto went in a different direction, got close but lost. Colin Allred when in the hey, I'm I'm a John Cornyn type, basically said, you know, he hugged Cornan during that race against Cruse, which I think for swing voters, I get it. I get that strategy too, and he lost by more than Beto did. What does that tell you?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think again, I hate to do it. Like when you're talking about a tight vote and you're talking about tight election, that's when you're going to start to get into vibes period. You just are because again you have a certain portion of the electorate that does not have the time to kind of dig into all of the details.
Speaker 1: And Betto broke through and Colin didn't.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, Beto was able to energize so many people. But I also think he caught Cruise slippin' right, Like Cruse wasn't into that he would have a real race, so he had that advantage. But he outworked Cruise definitely, like you know, the entire time. So I think that Beto did what we needed done in that moment. At least, which was to give us a little bit of hope, but it was because of how well that he did. He lost by three points. We know that Trump only won the state by five points. Next thing, you know, they want to change all the voting rules, right because you end up running away with Texas. There is no path for the Republicans to get into the White House. And that's why it's really important that we make those investments. Texas is the majority.
Speaker 1: Why does the Demo? Why does the net look I'm a Floridian and I've watched the National Democratic Party pay lip service to Florida Democrats for decades, and now they're in a catastrophic situation. I'm seeing the same set of lip service was paid to I wonder if the moment's been missed in Texas.
Speaker 3: I really do think that we are missing out. But I think that we need to get on the ground and do the work. And that same election we're talking about, we only had seventeen percent of the people turn out. Seventeen percent of people.
Speaker 1: This wasn't a registration issue. This was a turnout issue in your correct right.
Speaker 3: But like we also do these like tickets where it's like that's always the only person that anybody was going to vote for, Like there was nothing else that was like exciting or jazzing them. So we do this thing where it's like, oh, we've got one great candidate, and then we don't do anything else. I told you about people saying that they showed up and they voted for Harris when they were voting for the ticket.
Speaker 2: I think that we've.
Speaker 3: Got to be more strategic about like not just oh, let me put somebody who's Hispanic on this ticket, Like, let's get strong people to run who can appeal to every portion of like our state. Like you can have like people that are progressive and have people that are liberal, and have people that are better at media than others, have people that are black and Latino and Asian.
Speaker 2: We have a large AAPI community.
Speaker 3: So I think that we've got to figure out, like, Okay, who will jazz up some folk, like who will get them going? And frankly, black people have not been super jazzed. Just be perfectly honest. We have more black people in the state of Texas than any other state, and so like figuring out how to turn them out. When they won Georgia, you know what they had turnout way above seventeen percent, right, And so that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think if we can get the turnout, we can win.
Speaker 1: If Nico Harrison ran for office, how many could he get elected to anything in Dallas? Right now? Now you know how the Lucas situation is it? What of those? Do you think that's going to be something that leaves a mark for years, for decades or on the maps?
Speaker 2: For sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: For sure?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, the fans were so supportive. We finally were getting somewhere and were.
Speaker 1: Relevant, you know. Yeah, yeah, But the only thing that matters in Dallas is the Cowboys, right.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, they don't play in Dallas.
Speaker 3: So wow, that's all I'm gonna say on that they don't play.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, well, the only people that play in Dallas are the stars in the maps. So that's Dallas's only teams in your mind?
Speaker 3: I don't Yeah, yep, they're the ones that play in Dallas.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well they're your constituents, that's for sure. Are you running for oversight ranking? For sure?
Speaker 2: Uh? I was pretty sure I was in.
Speaker 3: I just got a phone call from a member that may complicate my pathway.
Speaker 1: So if you could give a keem Jeffries one piece of advice, what would it be?
Speaker 3: I think that a piece of advice would be to embrace all portions of are Caucus as as Democrats as a whole, and make sure that we have implies.
Speaker 1: You don't think he has been what do you think he's been too? Do you think he's been too trying to be too strategic?
Speaker 3: I think that I think we focused on being kind of completely unified, and I think what works in one district doesn't necessarily work in another district. And I think being seen is given permission for everyone to kind of be what they have to fight.
Speaker 1: Maybe have a debate, go ahead and let it be in public a little bit. Look, this is what happened in nineteen ninety Bill Clinton, Jesse Jackson Robe. They had a big, loud debate, and guess what, the Democratic Party didn't lose the popular vote but twice in the next thirty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll see, but I've got to run.
Speaker 1: I appreciate well, I appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: It's been playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'll be bugging you again in the future.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope you enjoyed that interview with Jasmine Crockett. Like I said, I'm gonna have a couple other interviews with some other Democrats pitching their ideas on this moment, how Democrats should be doing it, how Democrats should be handling it. So take notes here and tell me what you and then as we get more it'll be interesting to compare and contrast the different conversations as you've already had, how various Democrats want to handle this moment. All right, before I go, let me do a little bit of Ask Chuck.
Speaker 2: Ask Chuck.
Speaker 1: We're going to do one question and it's a terrific question, and it's a question I've had in my back of my head for a while. Now. This comes from Peter Quebec. I hope I pronounced your name right, Peter, your last name, And it starts a mirror After the Supreme Court decision which largely struck down Roe v. Wade, conventional wisdom from politicians, news outlets, and analysts held that abortion was going to be the north star for Democrats, that it was going to rouse not only the base but women overall, and it was touted as what would propel Aamala Harris to victory in twenty twenty four. However, after the election, abortion basically disappeared as any kind of issue or talking point. I haven't heard it mentioned on any of the Sunday talk shows since November, and none of the numerous political podcasts I listened to left or right have discussed it. What do you think has happened if Democrats abandoned abortion as a cause. So I don't think they've abandoned the cause, but I will tell you this when, and this has been true of cultural and social issues for some time, that when economic issues are front and center, all everything else goes by the wayside. Most cultural issues go by the wayside. Usually if abortion's being talked about front and center, it means the economy is not going is going fine? Right? When the economy is good, that's when there's more of a focus on cultural issues. So I think this is a little bit of a temporary sort of respite on the abortion issue, because the facts are the facts. Right wherever it's been on the ballot, wherever it's it is a central issue, there's only one side that seems to to be winning public opinion here. So I don't think it's lost its residence, but I do think Democrats are a little spooked by it because they looked like that they were not focused on the economy. Right, There's been this idea that it's you either focus on the economy or you focus on personal liberty issues. And so I think that that's why you've seen so many Democrats lately not do it. I suspect though, that you know, I promise you in Virginia you'll see it pop up. I have a feeling by the fall, in the two campaigns in Virginia and in New Jersey, that the issue will come up. Will it be number one issue advertised? Probably not, but it will be I think much more, much more prevalent in the campaign conversation then you're seeing it now. But it's an excellent point. There was a good column I think of the Washington Post. I think it was Paul Cain wrote a pretty smart column about this a few weeks ago about how it does seem as if for now that the issue is not top of mind for Democrats and there isn't a champion. Like I said, I just think this is somewhat temporary. I think you'll start to see you're still going to see an attempt wherever possible to get it on the ballot and be a referendum and things like that. So my guess is we're just in a lull on this issue more than anything else. I'm going to keep questions there on that because this has been a long episode. Number one, number two, it is time for everybody that listens. I want you to provide all your positive mojo because Monday night is the NBA Draft Lottery, and you've got to understand Washington d C. I know that some people may not be aware of this, but Washington DC does have an NBA franchise. It's called the Washington Wizards. A bunch of us missed the old Washington Bullets because at least the Bullets won. I'm not going to get into the change. It was named after the bullet train back in the day, the Silver Bullet Train, but the name was changed because they didn't want to have any any connection whatsoever to any form of guns on that front. But I'll be honest, none of us have ever really embraced the Wizards. It's a it's it's a it's a it's a tough you know, it's no commanders, but it's it's never been. At least it's got a literation, right. That's about all it has on that front. But if we can win the NBA Draft Lottery, we've won the Wizards have won it twice once. We we had it when Michael Jordan was running this franchise and he drafted a high school kid that didn't quite he had a good career, but it wasn't a franchise saver, Kwame Brown. And then we got it when we got John Wall. And John Wall, as my friend Tony Cohenheiger will tell you, he was good enough to get the Wizards to game six. He won Game six in a conference semifinal, and and then didn't show up for Game seven against the Celtics, and the Wizard's dream of making a conference of losing a conference final to Lebron in his last year in the Eastern Conference was denied on that front. But if the Wizards can win it Cooper Flag. They've actually been putting together to the credit of this Wizard's franchise, and they've been actually making some decent moves over the last eighteen months. They seem to be having a decent group of players that with Cooper Flag, they could be awfully interesting and a lot of fun. So all I'm asking all of your Mojo, let's you know you don't want we don't need Cooper Flag going to San Antonio. They got Wemby. We don't need Cooper Flag going at Utah. Danny Age is too smart to let that franchise languish. Okay, the Wizards need the help. They've not won fifty games. I think ever think about that. They've never won fifty games. They've won an NBA title once. They've been to two NBA Finals, but in neither year do they actually win fifty games. So I'm just asking just a little bit. I know, you may have your own team, you may have your own preference of where you want Cooper Flag to go. The Wizards could really use it, and the NBA could really use a franchise in Washington, DC that's actually successful. All right with that, Hopefully the next time we talk, Cooper Flag is about to become a Washington Wizard. Until we upload the game,