Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look now, I ad some stocks making news in the week ahead. I'm Nathan Hager, joined by Christina Kino, Managing editor for Bloomberg Markets Live on a week where we're going to hear from a few more companies reporting earnings as we wind down the season. Christine a few household names this week, including Nike on Tuesday, our investors finally going to hear the turnaround is swishing upward for a change.
Speaker 1: I see what you did there, Nathan, Yes, that is definitely the hope. Very interesting though, because they announced leadership change shortly before the earnings results, which are due on the thirtieth of June. So apparently David Denton will take over CFO in August. And interestingly, he is not an insider. He hasn't been a career employee at Nike. He's actually moving from Pfizer and has done similar stints at Low's and CBS as well. So that's quite interesting bringing in the outsider rather than someone who's familiar with the business and familiar with the turnaround plan.
Speaker 3: So obviously a pretty big change from bringing in a former insider to be the CEO. So what kind of fresh blood of fresh look at the company could we expect once they report earnings this week?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that is the big question, isn't it, Nathan. That's something that investors and analysts will definitely note. I mean, the City Group analysts noting that it is quite surprising that they're doing this just ahead of those fourth quarter results, especially because the company is still under immense pressure to really show the results of this turnaround plan. The stock price is still hovering at around the lowest since twenty fourteen, and investor confidence is a little bit still at the lows. But you know, maybe a fresh blood might be just what the company needs for a bit of a turnaround here. But we'll find out more when they give us the details next week.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Also on Tuesday, we're going to get results from Constellation Brands after the bell. It's been a tough time for the beer and wine business. Are we gonna be able to raise a glass to these results?
Speaker 1: I mean, based on the assessment from Jeffrey's analysts, there's still a lot of caution on that front, Nathan. I mean, they're worried about just the overall trend of declining alcohol consumption trends in the US because you know, the younger generation don't drink as much anymore. I don't know what's up with that, but that's definitely something that is a bit of a negative for Constellation Brands. Jeffrees in particular, still expecting the company to reiterate those organic sales around minus one percent to plus one percent. But one silver lining is they do have strong adspending for the World Cup, but then that also cuts into their earnings margins. So we'll see if that pays off when we get those results. This might be a little bit early, but you know, a little bit of positive momentum can't hurt the brand at this moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So a lot of crosswinds. They're not just from consumer changing habits and those advertising spending potential headwinds there, but I mean the entire beverage industry has been dealing with rising commodity costs from what's been happening in the Middle East as well. I mean that could have an impact on the results too, couldn't that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely. I mean, margins definitely something to wash for Constellation brands. I mean some of the costs for raw materials aluminum cans, for instance, have gotten a lot more expensive over the last few months. Of course, we know that flows through the strait of hormones finally starting to flow. We've been getting reports on that as well as US and Iran make headway towards striking a longer term deal. But yeah, it takes a little bit of a time, doesn't it. I mean, we've definitely seen a lag in some of those prices when it comes to kind of coming back down for the recent high. So that's something that Constellation Brands will definitely have to answer for when we hear from them next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be interested to hear as well about how they might be adapting to those changing consumer habits, because it seems like there's been a lot more interest as well in non alcoholic beer and wine, so we'll be.
Speaker 2: Watching that too.
Speaker 3: On Wednesday, We're going to hear from General Mills and correct me if I'm wrong, Christine, But it seems like the last few months have been pretty rough for name brands at the grocery aisle, Am I remembering that rain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's absolutely right. It has been a tough period, but we are seeing, for instance, Bloomberg Intelligence analyst saying that perhaps actually the worst of it might be over for some of the national food brands like General Mills. They're projecting that some of the sales for these brands could climb about three percent to four percent this year. I mean, of course, house brands have an advantage, especially when it comes to costs for consumers, but I think there's a little bit of room now for some of the brand names to gain back some of that ground. And you know, another theme actually that could be going well for General Mills is the pet food business, because we know that people love spending money on their pets. Oh, and that is something that could be a bright spot potentially.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I kind of wonder though, whether a company like General Mills and some of its competitors as well, might be weathering some of these issues around price by doing something that I've seen over the last few months, if not years, packaging getting smaller. Is that something we could hear about on the call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, that's certainly one way to mitigate some of the costs, right that we've been talking about in relation to other companies, and certainly if you're spending less unpackaging, especially given the current era of still high raw material prices, that certainly helps for sure. And so yeah, maybe something that could at the margin help General Mills kind of gain more solid footing here. But yeah, well, we'll hear from them on the first of July is when their earnings are due.
Speaker 2: The Stockmovers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.