Speaker 1: First of all, you don't know me. We all about that high school drama, girl drama, girl, all about them.
Speaker 2: High school queens.
Speaker 3: We'll take you for a ride, and our comic girl shared for the right teen.
Speaker 4: Drama queens up girl fashion, but your tough girl, you could sit with us.
Speaker 1: Girl drama, Queens drama, queise drama, Queens drama, Drama, Queens drama, Queens.
Speaker 5: Sophia, you went through a lot in this episode, so I do think you should be the person to bring us.
Speaker 4: In herepis Rise. Let me just say, weird to have missed last week and be like, what did I meant?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh I missed, I missed a lot. But here we are. We've made it to season six, episode thirteen. Things a Mama don No. This originally aired January fifth, two thousand and nine. Wow, that's weird that we're in two thousand and nine. The synopsis, Friends, is that Peyton received some startling news that she must share with Lucas while he is still in La Lucas discovers that Julian has been keeping another secret regarding the movie. Nathan struggles in a new professional environment, and Brooks search for runaway Sam forces her to confront her own feelings about the night of her attack, and there's lots of ants, really moves out of Marvin's apartment. This was directed by our favorite Mike Leone, written by Karen Gist, And we have to talk about it.
Speaker 5: You were doing a different movie on this episode, Like what show? Completely different were we all making? We're making like ten different shows. What are you talking about?
Speaker 3: It was like, is it full House? Is it like? Are we doing a party of five? A?
Speaker 4: It was The Wonder Years with the Little Boys. It was it was like a lifetime movie with Brooke and Xavior. It was very I had a rough time. I had that feeling watching this episode taking notes where I was like, oh, this is one of those moments that makes me embarrassed about what we do for a living.
Speaker 5: Guys. I love my notes at the house. Like I walked all the way down here to the garage. It's raining, and I was like, oh, I have to go get them. And then I sat down and was like, no, I don't know. I don't need those notes.
Speaker 3: You remember what happened, you know how you feel.
Speaker 5: I actually liked the episode, and I I think because at this point we'd kind of resigned ourself to crazy. It was like, I guess we're doing some crazy and so it wasn't shocking anymore.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had really jumped the shark by this point. I I will say, having not been with you guys for the last one doing the recap, I was like, oh my god, what's going to happen? And I don't know, maybe I didn't see it coming, but I really had no idea that this is when you were going to tell Lucas you're pregnant. And I loved it either.
Speaker 3: That was a big surprise, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: And you played it so well, Hill, because like you're so emotional and so hysterical, and I mean that in a good way, like not hysterical, like the way that people say that to women it makes me want to poke them in the eyeballs.
Speaker 3: But yah, hysterical.
Speaker 4: They are all hysterical, darling. It made the reveal really really fun. Yeah, that was a fun day on set.
Speaker 5: Because maybe that's why I liked this episode because I remember specifically what I was doing offset and I had a friend from high school, this guy friend of mine, and we were both just like going through it and he was like, I'm going to come visit Wilmington. I was like great, and so we came down for a few days and he came to set that day that we.
Speaker 4: Filled the pregnant scene.
Speaker 5: And this is a person I've known since I was eleven years old, and he I didn't know how he was going to react, but I knew he'd be saying if with Mike leone behind the monitor and like.
Speaker 4: It would be a friendly experience.
Speaker 5: And we left that day and he was so weirded out, just like Hillary, you just started crying.
Speaker 4: I've known you forever.
Speaker 5: It was just so weird to see you like farting around and that the second the yell action, You're just snot and sweat.
Speaker 3: And professional crier.
Speaker 5: And that was it was fun to have someone there for all this stuff, you know, and have a person from my real world like touch grass and.
Speaker 4: Be like that's weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it was just a Peyton was having a great time this episode.
Speaker 4: She had good news so everybody else. Yeah, I feel the tables have finally turned.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, the boys were fantastic, right the boy How come the boys never have to fight anybody?
Speaker 3: I don't the boys have to cry.
Speaker 4: They they fight.
Speaker 5: But I love Chad's reaction to the pregnancy news, and I loved when Lucas came home at the end. I'm jumping, but I just remember really like being in tune with Chad with the baby stuff because that was new for us and we were pumped about it. It was almost like we were having a baby.
Speaker 3: I like that there any any hint that of fear that Julian might interfere with Lucas and Peyton completely is gone in this episode. Of course, it's like the moment she says I'm pregnant, that storyline moves immediately over to well to Brook because he shows up to you know, help her out. But yeah, that was fun. I also really loved the pregnancy reveal. I thought that was really well done. I did think it was going to be some big, horrible news and then and then you turned it your frown up right down. It was so cute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just you wait.
Speaker 5: And I like that Mia was there, like very early on in the episode to kind of the air because there was a lot of dark shit in the last episode that felt uncharacteristic of the relationships on our show, and so I'm glad that we just got to them and we're like.
Speaker 4: Never mind just kidding, Right, Well, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: It's never mind just kidding, because here's what's weird about it is. In the last episode, it felt like you were waiting on really on news, like you had heard that something was wrong and you were really upset because remember you took it out on me. You were so mad at her, you were really proud she, But we never clarified that. It was just like, now, all of a sudden, you're pregnant or did I miss something?
Speaker 5: Honestly, I think Peyton went into the hospital thinking there was like a tumor, thinking there was like a thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like they were testing you for ovarian cancer.
Speaker 5: But they make you pee as a woman every time you go to the It doesn't matter what it's like a dentist appointment, you should still be in this cup. Yeah, so I think that didn't even cross her mind, which is stupid. When I was in my twenties, I had like a pregnancy test in every drawing me too.
Speaker 3: It's obsessive about it. Yeah I still have. Yeah, you know, you gotta keep one around.
Speaker 4: She didn't have a mother, she didn't know.
Speaker 3: Nobody taught her these things. I did love.
Speaker 5: That I'm glad to be in the mother category because I do think it gets you out of all the bullsh because Haley is now getting to do all this, like the full house stuff, like the sweet stuff. Yeah, the you know, cuddling in bed, being sexy with Nathan.
Speaker 3: It didn't feel like a like a dramatic version of full full house, like the whole Nathan and Haley stuff and the even with Dawn. I mean, I did love it with the little boys walking down the lake and seeing that the tip blossom, it was super sweet. But it also made me think, is this the time now when we're all of our fans starting to have kids that were our age, And so that's why they were like, well, this is now a family show that you can watch with your kids. I just couldn't figure out thinking the show that we started making. It seemed just jointed for a moment to be now watching a show about two little kids. Not that it wasn't sweet, just was weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it feels I definitely think it feels like a departure to watch the little boys. But also Jackson such a good little actor. Yeah, and so was the little boy playing Andre. Yeah. But I think they wanted to give him more to do. I think he wanted more to do. And you know, he'd really been put through his paces for two seasons now, and he's got big boy teeth. Yeah, and there's well and there's also something about the Flipper. But there's something about the way that Andre allows for the Quentin storyline to stay alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which and we Nathan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, with Nathan wanting to wear number twelve, and you know, everything coming full circle with Brooks attack and the whole thing it, it certainly feels like they they leaned into it really hard so they could keep all of that moving. Yeah, I think so top.
Speaker 5: Of Mind's what this episode was. It was all full circle. It's like if you go back, you know, you can go back a season, you can go back five seasons. Peyton and Lucas are finally together having a baby. You've got Nathan's playing basket dream. The basketball dream is finally coming true, Hailey's getting back into music, Brooke is taking her power back. You know, like all those full circle moments are happening in this episode.
Speaker 4: So it felt big.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree, weird, but big weird.
Speaker 3: But I was surprised about uh, Julian's dad being the movie producer Gregory Harrison.
Speaker 4: Yes, uh huh, what an absolute dream boat he is. We spent we wound up spending so much time together over the years, and he is such a nice man, and I mean, my god, does he come in like an eighties villain in the you know, just like yeah, yeah, like that classically handsome You're like, does he own the newspaper? Is he gonna run for governor?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: Who's this bad man? And that made me giggle too, because it felt so it felt so weird watching him and Lucas together that that felt like its own show. I felt like I was watching like Days of Our Lives, and then I felt like I was watching full House, and then I felt like I was watching a Lifetime movie of the Week where like the assaulted woman enacts her revenge and I was like, what are we doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we should have talked more back then. We should have like done table reads or somebody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wouldn't that have been nice? I feel like a table read really could have solved a lot of problems.
Speaker 4: Table reads would have been nice for us. No way.
Speaker 5: The Gregory Harrison scenes are so great because this is a show that's had some pretty complicated daddy issues, and this guy comes in and connects with Lucas right away, and I thought Chad was so good in those scenes.
Speaker 4: He was really.
Speaker 5: Listening and communicating clearly with this man, and like it was like a healthy, non toxic male interaction. They're being vulnerable with each other. I liked it, and I thought like, oh, that's the dad that Lucas needed. And then when Lucas kind of schools him later, it's like I just found out I'm becoming a father and I'll give.
Speaker 4: My kid anything they want. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just thought how great for Lucas to have an opportunity with a dad that's not Dann Dan and doesn't carry the damage of the Keith relationship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is really nice. It's interesting that you picked up on that, because I think the thing I couldn't get past was why is this grown man telling this adult man that he doesn't know that his son is gonna try to because girlfriend, like I was, it felt so out of character and unprofessional and like petty to me. But that's obviously the writing. It's not sweet. Gregory who did a great job with it.
Speaker 3: He was playing opposite the intention, I think, which worked really well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Gregory just played it very like I know my son and he's a mess. He made it, you know, personal, and I thought his motivations were really good. But I was like, what movie producer would talk to a writer like that, like, what's happening? Oh, Sonny, you're helping win me over on it?
Speaker 5: Did you see the big picture in the office that was like the Warner Brothers water Tower, Like they modeled the studio executive after Warner Brothers, and then they hired the most handsome actor to come in and play like Peter Roth. You know, it was like what executive at Waterer Brothers? Were we trying to compliment with.
Speaker 4: That little that is so animal?
Speaker 5: Also, it's like a backhanded compliment of we're saying that he's super petty and god, yeah, you know, weird.
Speaker 4: But I do think the redeeming quality of it is who Lucas gets to be in response, and it is, to your point, so nice to see him talk about what he hopes would be his own course of action as a father. That's really winning. And maybe it wouldn't have felt quite as winning if Gregory hadn't been petty about Julian, you know, like maybe you need the device to make the payoff work.
Speaker 3: I like that Lucas it felt like he was well, I mean he did. He gave Julian the benefit of the doubt, which was unusual in that moment, especially since his dad wasn't a Danish sort of character. But maybe that's what it was. He was just triggered by this sense of care for another young man who's got a conflict with his dad and just wanted to stick up for him and make it okay.
Speaker 5: Well that's such a good point because while I was watching it hearing Julian described I was like, oh my god, Peyton Sawyer dated to Nathan Scott's. Like they're the same where they're winners, they have rich daddies, you know, and they're really trying to fight the stereotype of who they could be. They want to make art, they want to make things beautiful, they want to be like good family people, but.
Speaker 4: Those daddy issues are tricky.
Speaker 5: Same dude, and Brooke Davis has kissed both of them.
Speaker 3: Two Hey yay.
Speaker 4: But you know what's so interesting about you saying that is because we've recently had that storyline that I love where Brooke and Nathan as adults are starting to rely on each other as friends and communicate about their upbringings, and you know they're friends, and so it tracks for me. As you say that that Julian has similarities to Nathan, I'm like, oh, actually, I think Brooke and Nathan's adult friendship is probably in the energy part of what lets her see Julian too.
Speaker 5: As we're talking about this, I feel like it's ringing bells. Do you guys ever remember people describing Austin as the third Scott brother because he's especially a hybrid of Lucas and Nathan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I totally blanked on that until just this second.
Speaker 3: Yeah he does. He does sort of fit in both of those, both of those pockets. I'm interested to see how this unfolds. Though. As much as I disliked the whole movie storyline all together, I'm really glad that it brought us Austin and Julian, and I'm interested to see how this goes down with Luke. I was surprised that he stuck up for him, but I'm glad that he did. When does Gregory come back though? Does he just come on set for the movie? Is that the whole deal.
Speaker 5: I remember him walking into Red Bedroom Records because he Yeah, he came in with Greg when we were all like being introduced our producer Greg, and it was Greg and Greg, that's what it was. Yeah, And he was real, Like I liked the energy he put out because he was real like, I'm a family man.
Speaker 4: I go right home after work. I don't hang out with kids. And I was like, all right, cool guy did it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: He was just really clear about who he was and what his role was there, and it was super professional. And I remember the contrast between what we'd been exposed to and then this new guy coming in, and I really respected it. It was it was nice that he articulated it so clearly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Julian's back on the movie and then he's and then he's helping Brooke solve her massive problem. Right now, Well, Brooks seemed to have actually solved it really quite well herself. He just showed up. It's a little extra muscle.
Speaker 4: It was so odd to me though, why it was blocked that way, like Austin and Evan just standing in the doorway like looking around, pulling out a phone.
Speaker 2: Calling the cops.
Speaker 3: They're like, oh, she's got this handled.
Speaker 4: I was like, this feels all of this feels weird.
Speaker 5: It all felt so someone told him that they were off camera.
Speaker 3: They were like, ways, can you see my feet? Are you mym on camera?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I loved Brooks line not a man. Let's start with the beginning of Brooke going cop, trying to find her, trying to find Sam, which is great. I really liked you in this episode. You you also like, very rarely don't wear makeup in for Brook, you know, she was always like done up. It was really fun to see you just lean into the whole distraught mom, like not concerned about getting makeup.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Also, there was so much pressure from the studio to have our hair and makeup and everything look a certain way that it was nice to be in a point in the seasons where we could just kind of do what we wanted, what was best for the characters. Yeah, so that was kind of fun. But yeah, that was my fave. Not a man. Not a man. Let's just get her priority straight, like I'm looking for my adopted daughter who's disappeared. But by the way, not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's not let's not start there. Yeah. I love those little interjections of humor that like she just kind of can't help herself. Those were always really fun for me to play with the storyline. I don't know, it's weird to watch it back because it just feels so extreme it is, and watching it just makes me feel so uncomfortable. And it also made me think, like we get to the end of it and they have me repeat his line to him, like you have a nice night or whatever. And they always did that with us, like I think about in later seasons. Yeah, they would always make us like repeat what the bad guy said to us, Like I remember they whenever that was was it season eight when we did the big hurricane episode, and like they make Chantelle do it, yeah, and didn't Paul do it to Carrie? Yeah, Like it's just like, God, what are we doing? Why every single time do we repeat the thing the villain said, I don't know you guys, And the whole thing just like made me cringe. I was like, I can't.
Speaker 5: It's so psychedic all over again. It is like they knew that it was a moneymaker to beat a girl up. And the thing that was hard for me is like we were in our twenties when we got beat up by Psychoederic, like we were grown ups, but Ashley, it was like a kid. Actually was a little kid getting thrown onto that bed by grown man. Yeah and that felt gross? Ye, And yeah, I don't know that we needed to duct tape a little girl and put her in a closet to get our fan base invested. Our fan base was awesome, Like, we didn't have.
Speaker 4: To go to the extreme that way.
Speaker 5: And so Brooke is essentially doing the same exact thing she did in the prom episode, where now instead of Peyton, she's coming in and taking duct tape off of Sam's mouth and I'm not going to leave you.
Speaker 4: We're gonna do this together. You know.
Speaker 3: I wonder how those things get past the writer's room, Like, how is there no one that's going, well, maybe the whole room was going we already did this, and there was, you know, one person that was determined to make it happen. But I I don't understand why we had to go to the absurd extreme again. It just seemed so over the top. And my note here of watching a woman's squirm while a man looms over them over her, it's just so unnecessary and it doesn't fit our show. It doesn't fit the themes of our show. I didn't understand what the point was other than to make it salacious, and it felt really distasteful to me. I didn't like it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just a lot of it felt like it leaned in a way that was just so uncomfortable. The way he was directed to throw her around, the really sexual tone of the conversation, like with me, going, do you think they're having sex? And like speaking of mouths as yours is nice, like gros. It was just like, I don't know. I just was like, what, why are we doing this? And it's not that women don't get assaulted, it's not that there aren't creepy men in the world. We've all had our encounters with them. But it's like, why is this what we're choosing to do on TV?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're not teaching anybody anything through this experience. That's what was irritating to me. It was just sallacious. It was just soap opera. Oh, let's make him the bad guy by giving him gross things to say, and let's watch her be really uncomfortable because that's what happens to women.
Speaker 5: So he's a thief, murderer and rapist, he's all the things.
Speaker 3: All the yeah, yeah, and it just yeah, it felt totally unnecessary because we weren't learning anything. We weren't teaching anyone anything. There was no catharsis. It wasn't it was. It was totally pointless. It really really frustrated me. However, I really did like watching Brook kick his ass see thank you.
Speaker 4: That did feel that did feel cathartic.
Speaker 5: There was a GQ article that was written about our show by the guy who owned Peyton's house, and I remember he called our show a rape fantasy and I was so at the time. I mean he wrote it like when the show was still on the air, and I was so like what And he he was a buddy of mine, he was older than and I was like, that's what he took away from the show. But watching this episode, I'm like, oh my god. For an adult man who has a daughter that's living on one of the sets and the fan base is like watching rape fantasy, I can imagine his horror.
Speaker 4: I would be creeped out.
Speaker 3: You know, like, yeah, I wonder how Mike Leone handled this, because you know, he just like we all have to do, you have to completely commit to the job, you got to throw yourself into one hundred percent, whether you think it's ridiculous on the page or not. So as a director who has daughters, I just wonder we should ask him one day.
Speaker 5: Well, he kept the sets so light so that it never felt threatening.
Speaker 3: That's true. Yeah, Yeah, he was always had a very positive mindset and dialogue going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ashley kicked ass. She did, she was so good. And I do remember him talking to us about liking this dynamic that the girls were going to fight back, you know, and that he really wanted us to go for it. And I mean we choreographed a really gnarly fight, yeah, between Xavier and Brooke. It was violent, and Mike was really all in on you know, this woman kicking this man's ass. And I was like, yeah, that feels right, We're going to do it, Like, let's do it. Yeah, And and so I do think that's that is part of it, right, is your job is to make the script you have, so it's in a way you're in a box, but you try to do your best inside of it.
Speaker 3: Did you was this post the hitcher for you or same time?
Speaker 4: Yeah? This was years later, Oh it was.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was wondering if it was like they saw that, you know, they felt like that was exciting and I saw the success and they were like, oh, let's do it. Just let's just get do it it again with Sophia.
Speaker 4: You know what, it would have.
Speaker 5: Made it better if you had had to teach Sam that cheer camp trick just real fast.
Speaker 2: Make a table, all force, all fours, tight cor.
Speaker 1: Cheerleadership.
Speaker 4: I would have fixed it. That would have been funny.
Speaker 5: I know though, Like you know when we would get scripts like this kind of that gut feeling of.
Speaker 2: Oh, I gotta do this.
Speaker 5: But you know they've been showing Brook with a gun. They've been showing Brook like possessing all of this trauma for so long. Yeah, I get full circle, like you're saying to just like get it over with, like okay, fine, yeah, let's fight.
Speaker 4: Let's be done. Yeah, Like, let's do it and be done.
Speaker 3: And is it after this? Does Brook start to kind of go back to normal or do you do you remember?
Speaker 4: I don't remember.
Speaker 5: Well, we know she put her head on Julian's chest.
Speaker 4: She just crumpled right in.
Speaker 5: It was like speed where they kiss at the end because it's just been such an extreme day.
Speaker 3: Kiss me make this day better.
Speaker 4: I've got to put my feelings somewhere in your mouth.
Speaker 2: Oh god.
Speaker 4: It's also so funny because and I know we've talked about this, but obviously we had really tall boys on our show, and so we were always in heels. But because we'd been doing stunts, I was in converse. So like me leaning into Austin's chest, it's like my forehead goes into a sternum, Like it's the least sexy embrace. It just looks like it's like kid's sister being like, oh.
Speaker 3: Dark, No, I look cute.
Speaker 5: It looked cute, and then he like gives you a little pet, like a.
Speaker 4: Little pet pet. Yeah, they like it's okay, honey.
Speaker 5: No, it kept it like simplatonic but.
Speaker 3: Also like well spicy going on here.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was cute. It wasn't as cute as chasing me though. No, that was cutie, super cute.
Speaker 3: Fun to see that it's starting.
Speaker 4: How is she only eighteen?
Speaker 3: Wait? Is she is that what we figured out?
Speaker 4: That's what our kids? She says it. Oh, when she's teaching him to make Long Island iced teas, he's like, do you want my job? And she says I can't. I'm only eighteen, that's right, And I was like, excuse, but I guess we're all only twenty two, so I.
Speaker 3: Guess that's true. It seems like we're so much older for all the problems we're dealing with.
Speaker 4: It is so insane.
Speaker 5: Oh, I don't remember us driving around in the car. I don't remember chasing me immetingly. I think the element of surprise for me watching this was great because I just, yeah, somewhere else.
Speaker 4: There was a lot I didn't remember, but I wish I could remember why anyone convinced us that it was a sellable thing to do to stop the car just in the road, shoot the scene, and then keep driving. Yeah. I was like, they couldn't have just put us on a process trailer.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, because we were already at Quinton's house. They're like, not only are the girls going to stop, they're going to stop at Quentin's house. Right.
Speaker 4: It must have been behind.
Speaker 3: It had to have been behind on the day. They just had to get it done.
Speaker 4: It was really terrible. I was embarrassed. I was like, I mean, we did it, we did our jobs, but like, why, Yeah, that's on traffic. It's a residential neighborhood.
Speaker 3: You just stopped.
Speaker 4: I just need to say this here and then I can keep driving. When you literally say to me, you go, you're driving Brooke and we're stopped in the middle of the street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to be fair, I did think from peripherally, I did think that it was you guys were at a stop late for a second, is it. Do you think maybe they were trying to make it look like that. I mean, I wasn't watching it the way that you were, because you were there, so you remember.
Speaker 4: Every single thing. Just gave me the eck. I was like, oh god, I'm embarrassed. No, you were just looking so hard.
Speaker 5: By the way, just so every woman out there knows that bullshit about having to wait forty eight hours when someone's missing. I believed that for years until I started doing it couldn't happen here and met with law enforcement and they're like.
Speaker 4: Oh, no, that's just total bullshit.
Speaker 5: That's just what we tell people so that you know, we're only dealing with real serious stuff. And so if you have someone who is missing, make them try to show you the code, because it's not real.
Speaker 4: It's not real.
Speaker 5: WHOA Now, if there is a child or a woman or anyone that is missing, just push hard. Yeah, because when that cop was all like, ladies, she's a runaway, she's also an at risk juvenile all get her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was crazy.
Speaker 3: Do you guys see the lady on Instagram who does lie for your safety?
Speaker 4: Have you seen this girl?
Speaker 3: I actually don't even know if I follow her, if I just she just keeps popping up in my feed. But yeah, it's a lie. It's life for your safety. It's like all the rules of how to things that you can say to make sure that if you're an environment where you feel in danger, that you know the right lie to tell you know, you're never home alone, You're never I don't remember all of them, but they're really good. Also, I should try and find some and send them over because it's something that I want my daughter to know about too. I feel like there's a lot of these sort of unspoken rules and things that you can do that, yeah, helpful so.
Speaker 4: You don't go missing. Right, of course needs to at that's.
Speaker 3: What Sam needs. She was so good. Ashley Ricard's man. I just love her work all the time. She always surprises me. I was also surprised by Millie and mouth in this episode, are we going for it? Move on?
Speaker 4: That was a rough made me sad.
Speaker 5: Beilification of Milly here didn't make me happy same, I didn't like it at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I get in the heat of the moment, it's a fight. Oh my god, I slept with somebody else and I was a virgin. It was supposed to be you like that. That's heated, that's intense. That's an intense thing to deal with in a relationship. I could understand why there would they would part ways in the moment and go, you know, stress out somewhere else. But like that last scene of her packing up her bags and leaving and I'm sorry, I'm sorry too, Like I'm sorry, you're such a slick you did this like off ew No, it made me really mad.
Speaker 4: Well and bothered me about it again. It's like it's the commodification of women and the excusing of men's bad behavior, which I mean, we know who wrote our show, so fine, but it's so crazy to me that he has been behaving the way he's been behaving, like leading on this woman having this really inappropriate flirtatious relationship, knows it makes his partner uncomfortable. And then continues it keeps going farther. He doesn't stand up for himself or for his partner. And then because she is like, I'm out, like it doesn't it doesn't matter, this idea that like she did the worst thing. I'm like, no, we were on a break.
Speaker 5: We were on a break weeks and months of being gas lit and like being lied to, and when you have the courage to articulate, you are me and the other person is just like, sorry, not sorry, you know you're blowing this out of proportion. Go sleep with all the bartenders you want.
Speaker 4: I don't care.
Speaker 5: Go Milly go like I hate it for her that it was not a special moment and that it was like, of course, yah, maybe Owen showed her a good time. We don't know, we weren't there. Yeah we did Brook ever sleep with Owen.
Speaker 4: I don't know together, I don't think so okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look at this little dosey dough. Now Milly's shacking up with Owen and Brooke is making googly.
Speaker 4: Eyes at Julian and listen.
Speaker 5: I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 5: There's that moment in Close Over Bros. Where Peyton clocks Julian and Brooke talking to each other about looking for Sam and that was fun.
Speaker 4: That was a fun moment. You're like, huh, you guys get a free pass.
Speaker 5: You're good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, enjoy yourself.
Speaker 5: We've just talk about nain m hmmm.
Speaker 4: Leather varsity jacket.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: Why doesn't he wear that every day?
Speaker 3: I don't know. Oh yeah, I love it. I love seeing him. I like that. I'm so glad they're keeping basketball alive on the show because I was getting to I mean, slamball was great too, But yeah, we definitely need to continue that. I mean, I'm not surprised he made the Bee League. I knew he would only because I suspected it, not because I remembered. But that was fun.
Speaker 4: Why did they I don't know.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is a I am a little uncomfortable that every bad guy trash talker that Nathan runs into is a blackmail.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, what the hell? Like, no, it's awful.
Speaker 5: It's pretty tone deaf and like, yeah, gross, yep, didn't like that, And it's happened over and over and over again.
Speaker 4: And what's frustrating is it like that's one of the things that you point out to the powers that be and they tell you you're being too sensitive and ridiculous, and you're like, but do you.
Speaker 3: Not, Yeah, because they have being inclusive. They're like, it's diversity. We're bringing in lots of people who have color. And you're going, okay, but in what capacity?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Just take a look. Yeah, you're like you really, you really haven't finished the sentence yet, have yet?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 5: Okay, But I thought that bad Guy was great, you know, did a good job.
Speaker 3: Kind of familiar to me. Why does that actor looks so familiar?
Speaker 4: I really liked that he he puts something underneath the combativeness mm hmm. Like so many people, you know, get a guest star rule like that and they're just supposed to be like, you know, the combative, angry whatever, and and he had something else going on. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he made it real unrelatable.
Speaker 4: You could feel the pressure and the goals, and it was really I thought it was a really beautiful performance that did more with that role than what was on the page. And I wish we could ask Mike Leone about it, like, you know, knowing our show so well and for our friends at home, Mike Leone, who directed this episode, was our script supervisor on the show, so I mean, there's literally no one who knows our scripts better. Yeah, and I'd be so curious to know how he would think about, you know, how to direct people because of that, because these.
Speaker 5: Are grown ass men tearing each other's pictures up like that's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was that was so dumb.
Speaker 2: I wrote that down in my notes.
Speaker 4: I was like, what adult men are ripping up each other's family photos? Like what are we doing?
Speaker 3: But not the kid? Like you wouldn't touch the kid, but the but the wife and the whole family. That's progress. That was so strange. Yeah, I don't know, do you guys do this in like in sports, because you're gonna like you guys, we.
Speaker 4: Are talking about an episode in which grown men ripped up each other's family photos and I pistol whipped someone. What is happening? Like, what is happening?
Speaker 5: And the thing is, though, you know when you go to a restaurant and they put all the shit together that shouldn't go together, like eggs on a donut on a pizza, and you taste it and you're like.
Speaker 4: I mean all right, yeah, no, I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what our show is at this point. It is just yea eggs on a donut on a pizza and the salt sugar mixed together, and you're like fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fine, whatever, just just it's all going to the same place.
Speaker 4: You're like looking at it makes me feel a little sick, but it is delicious.
Speaker 3: Okay. So this is bj Britt. He was in Vampire Suck, Agents of She and Peaceful Warrior. Maybe Shield is when I I don't know, but he was. He was really good. I was glad to see what you said, Sophia as well, that there was something underneath it, and it made me want to see more of him me too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like I wonder are they going to become friends, because that would be cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, is it that sense of healthy competition where he knows they're going to be trash talking him from the other team on the court, so they they sort of give each give it to each other in practice so that they're used to it and build up their immunity. I mean, I'm not sporty either, I don't really know.
Speaker 4: I love the immunity to the trash talk.
Speaker 5: Community, to trash we're going to go put on little shorts, jockstrap, little say nasty things to each other.
Speaker 4: Like I just that's what my child does theater go on? Now talk feelings? Do that?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: The toxic team mentality is not good for anyone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but this coach, this coach has been in so many episodes and all I ever hear called coach and I'm like, what is this character's name?
Speaker 4: It's making me know who is he? Because he's a good actor.
Speaker 3: The blonde guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Hockelmbrook didn't kiss him, you know, I don't know. I didn't kiss the hot doctor. I didn't kiss the cute coach. What are we doing?
Speaker 3: I'm still mad about the doctor doctor.
Speaker 4: It was a real missed opportunity.
Speaker 3: We have a fun quote from Jackson, was it?
Speaker 4: Jackson?
Speaker 3: Sometimes people have to cry out all the tears to make a room for a heart full of smiles. I'm sentimental. I thought that was really sweet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the little kids processing grief together. Really it just cuts to the quick of the issue in a very interesting way. And I know it's strange to kind of watch those Wonder Years scenes, but I liked it for what you saw Jackson process, for the way that it kept Quentin top of mind for Nathan, and then for what it offered to Dawn, you know, her being able to have this moment where she realizes that her young child is seeing more than she thinks he is, because I mean, that's the truth for every parent, right like my God, In my adult years, as I've done therapy, like all of us have, you know, I've taken some things to my parents and they're like, what do you You weren't there or you remember that? And I'm like, hello, I've been in therapy for thirty years. What are we talking about? And it's like, we don't often get to see that when a kid gets to look at a parent and say I am affected by this. Yeah, And I thought, I don't know. I thought that that was really special, and I thought it was a sweet device.
Speaker 3: I definitely feel that as a parent that I'm constantly surprised by how much she notices and remembering how at such a young age, when they're is grief to process and there are hard things you find. You try and find ways and quotes and isms and metaphors and just ways to make it really simple for a child's mind to process things that are hard. So I think that's also why I really loved that quote, because it felt so so simple and yet so poignant and real. But yeah, I mean it's true.
Speaker 4: The kids.
Speaker 3: Kids see everything, they notice everything, they just don't know what they're looking at all the time.
Speaker 5: Down coming from a comedy background and doing such heavy dramatic work in this, I don't know if that's like the secret trick, you know, like Steve Carell has that thing, Jim Carrey did it, and we're like, you're a funny person. I was obsessed with don when she joined our show because I was a kid that grew up on a different world, and then I was obsessed with Tenth Kingdom and she plays one of the trolls in Tenth Kingdom, which was a mini series that came on like senior in high school.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, wait was this like the ABC Sunday Night movie that was like a three parts.
Speaker 4: John there kat Oh cool, Yeah, she's one of the trolls.
Speaker 3: I have to go back and watch this.
Speaker 5: And so Dawn had done all of this comedic work and she comes on to our show and there is zero funny about what she's doing, and she just nails it. And I loved that she wasn't despondent, she wasn't in her room locked up. She's still functioning in the kitchen doing the very best that she can. Yeah, and the kid is still clocking the energy.
Speaker 3: In the cleanest house I ever saw.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but there have been so many pictures of her on the internet lately. We have some mutual friends and she's doing the reunion tour for a Different World right now. So she's out there and like what like her cute outfits dancing on stage with the.
Speaker 3: Whole cat go to the reunion tour for Different World? Where is that happening?
Speaker 5: That show is so good and I watched so much of it as a kid, and I'm like, what's the equivalent of that now?
Speaker 3: I don't know, But I had such a crush on Malcolm Jamal Warner. I love that show. Was he on that? Yeah? He came in like halfway I think he did. Maybe he did like a guest well because it was wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Where Denise Denise goes to college?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he would come in and I think he came in on like for a season or something to visit.
Speaker 4: I loved it.
Speaker 5: Such a cool, cool cast and so yeah, Dawn, I'm glad we kept the Fields family as long as we did. When we started we started this season and like Quentin dies so quickly. I was like, what I thought there was more, and so I'm glad. I'm glad there was more. I hope there's more and more they say.
Speaker 4: I know. It's like, I want to see the parallel universe of our show and see what Robbie would have done in season six if we had not made that terrible mistake.
Speaker 5: We have to make the point though, that Devin McGee was given a storyline and he was given work to do, and he did such a good job being a creep.
Speaker 4: Oh so trutally terrifying.
Speaker 5: You know, the light switch thing that happens when he's like, Sam, you better keep your mouth shut. And then he's having that creepy conversation with Brooke where he's like, I'm trying to get my work done.
Speaker 4: And he's being really like almost a mirror. Yeah, he's like, I'm really so understated and small.
Speaker 3: It's weird. That's hard to do. It's hard to pull that off. I would think I haven't had to play a real creep, but I would think that's pretty difficult to do where you're like trying to I guess it's kind of like playing drunk. Were you trying to play sober.
Speaker 5: You know, you can see him trying to play normal, and it's.
Speaker 3: So great exactly. Yeah, yeah, that's what I mean. Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, he did such a good job, and I love that he does conventions, and I love that there are fans that are like, I gotta give me a picture with him.
Speaker 4: I need my villain picture.
Speaker 3: I'm starting to miss deb I really miss Moira, just their presence on camera, and I feel like I need some more of that soon. I'm even starting to miss Dan. I feel like we haven't seen him in a while either. I know what's going on. I need them back.
Speaker 4: Did we miss any storylines? Well, the only one that we haven't talked about is Owen breaking his sobriety.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was really curious.
Speaker 4: I thought that the sort of collision course of Owen and Millie was cool, just because they're both great actors and it was interesting to see them as characters sort of run into each other with their pain. I do wish we'd seen a little more of what happened, and I want to understand.
Speaker 3: I don't know what did you guys.
Speaker 4: Think about the way they handled him breaking his sobriety, because I didn't understand why it was happening, and then only when Chase comes does he say, you know, they gave him pain pills because he got hurt and slamball, And I was like, wait a second, this could have been like a big deal. Yeah, this could have been a really good storyline for him, and instead it just seemed like he went rogue and then threw it all away.
Speaker 3: It's one of the hard parts I think about being on a show with a big ensemble cast, and also one of the puzzling things because we did twenty two episodes, so there was plenty of time to tease out some of these some of these character development pieces instead of doing random violent storylines. Again, so it's confusing as to me as to why they didn't take the time to draw that out. But considering all the other things they were packing in, I feel like we sometimes ended up with caricatures of characters rather than and who they really are. And I wish I'd have been able to see Owen have some of his own moments outside of his connection to other people that are core members of the show, because we were at a point now in the series where I would have been fine. I mean, Joe's compelling to watch. He's interesting, he's a good actor. We knew enough about his storyline, his interactions with you and Rachel, and yeah, I would have been fine watching him have his own arc in an episode outside of his relation to any of us.
Speaker 4: Same.
Speaker 3: I wish they would have done it.
Speaker 5: It makes me feel better to hear that you wanted to see more of what actually happened with Millie and Owen, because that was my gut instinct. And I didn't know if I was being like voyeuristic, but I wasn't looking for sexy.
Speaker 4: I was like, what happened? Did he cry? Because he's like, yeah, did she cry because she was truck? How did they say goodbye to each other?
Speaker 5: Like all of those things really inform.
Speaker 3: But that wasn't the point. The point was Million's a slut.
Speaker 4: That's the point exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's why we didn't get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we didn't get any real payoff.
Speaker 5: No, it's all shapes how she's reacting to mouth the next day, like what was that experience?
Speaker 4: Was it sad? Was it mean?
Speaker 5: Was it scary? Was it actually like kind of nice? Which makes her feel guilty, Like we have no idea and to not get a hint at that, But you're right to get the violence over and over again when we could have had something that was really telling us a.
Speaker 4: Story, substantive stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what do we think happened? Do we ever find out?
Speaker 4: I don't know. But the thing that I think about in terms of the million Owen dynamic is like Owen wouldn't sleep with brut right, Remember he was like, I'm not doing that. Oh yeah, he has a whole thing about himself and I think about his sobriety, and I would like to think that if they had that conversation, there would have been a lot of like are you sure? I don't know how I feel about it. I would have loved to have seen her go. All that waiting has done is made it seem like a bigger deal. Everyone's paranoid. I don't know what to do, you know, like, let them have a real conversation about why she might just want to get this thing over with and let him ask her questions, let them make a decision, like it's not something I think he would be flippant about, given what we know about him as a character. And I actually think it would have been such a cool dynamic to see two grown adults have a conversation and like make a decision, and was it then funny and awkward? Like did they have kind of a good time? Was she then? Like, well, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't with someone I'm in love with? Like how do I process that? You know? I would have liked to have seen real exploration of intimacy and the way we make our decisions.
Speaker 5: We got it with mouth mouth got to have those conversations with like Shelley and with Rachel, you know, like he got to have these let's let's talk it out, let's think about it.
Speaker 4: With Erica, marsh Mill is just the the angel to the whores. So fast, girl, it's terrible.
Speaker 3: It's such a bad cliche. Bad look, what a bad look.
Speaker 5: See I liked it when she got her double bag and got the out. I was like, yeah, girl, you gotta go live on your own do some things.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean, bad look on the writing, But yes, I was down for Milly.
Speaker 4: By the way, That's what Hailey tells me, is like, you gotta go out and live a life. You can't write songs if you don't have any stories.
Speaker 5: Right points are made, so everybody's got stories this week.
Speaker 3: Speaking of making stories, we have a question from Kate. Can you speak to how you direct an episode that you act in as well and how do you get support for the scenes you're in. That's an interesting question, thanks Kate. So how did you find that did you enjoy it?
Speaker 4: I did? I enjoyed it. I think you know the way that I did it, and I would imagine you did much the same. Was you know, our on site producer, Greg was on set every day when we were directing, and you know, he was one of the people who directed the most episodes of our show. And essentially, you know, you would still spend your week doing prep and pre production and location scouts and all the things you needed to do, and then you would block scenes and for the ones you were in, you would block them with your actors, tell people what you wanted to do. Your stand ins would watch as normal, but then you'd step out and you'd watch the stand in do the scene with all the actors and make sure it was looking and then that would be it. And so when when we would have to act in scenes, Greg would call action and cut. You know, we would converse in detail about did the camera move happen the way I described it? Did it feel really fluid?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: Did the reveal work because you had to trust someone else to be your eyes? And then obviously for all the scenes you're not in, you just get to singularly focus and be the director. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did not enjoy it because I prefer to just be totally in the moment. So I want to be totally focused with what I'm doing, whether I'm directing, I want to be totally focused on that. If I'm in a scene, I don't want to be looking at the other actor thinking about what they should be doing differently to make the scene better, or what I should be doing differently because I can't tell because I'm it's That was not fun for me. I didn't like that. I just wanted to be there and like experience.
Speaker 4: You've directed stuff after the show, right, I did?
Speaker 3: Yeah, a couple of short films and commercial and some stuff. I'd like to do more, but I'm just not at that point in my life right now. Have you directed yet?
Speaker 4: Hillary? No?
Speaker 3: Why you should? Yeah, you really would be very good at it.
Speaker 4: Well, that's nice, thank you.
Speaker 5: I have a complicated relationship I think with scripted television, and I'm realizing that as we go through this process because my husband loves it in a way that I still feel this resistance too. I had a person be like, Hillary, what do you watch?
Speaker 4: What do you love?
Speaker 5: And I was like, I strictly watch documentary, and so I have some documentaries to direct that are in the pipeline right now. But there's something about telling true stories that feels really safe to me and feels like I'm not manipulating anybody, like, because I think we were manipulated so much on sets that really stuck with me, and so in documentary, making sure that we are really like trying to uncover the truest version of the truth because everybody has a different truth. That feels that's safe, that's better. Yeah, we should just do documentaries on our characters, but like they're real people, like remember those MTV documentaries?
Speaker 4: Yeah, true life totally.
Speaker 3: I think that you should consider at some point doing a film or short film or something that's that is fictionalized, because you do have such a strong grasp on reality, the way that reality looks and feels on camera, probably because you're watching documentaries all the time.
Speaker 4: It's like just in your in your blood.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, if you're not doing anything, I'm heavily involved with the middle school production of A Midsummer Night's Dream, So.
Speaker 3: You know, Julie ta more look Out.
Speaker 4: Razzle dazzle. Uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's weird how we all were groomed to do the same job as kids, and how that that changes. Everybody takes that one ball of clay and they turn it into different stuff as we grow up, and that's cool, you know. Yeah, and directing yourself sounds like a nightmare. It's awful, awful, Kate, why'd you bring it up? So honorable mention? Like, what did we love? Because I for all of the stuff.
Speaker 4: That we're like, this is weird, this is weird, this is weird. I did really like this episode you did.
Speaker 3: I liked don I thought she was great. I would give my honorable mention to her or b J Britt. Actually there was something really like cool about I mean, he made me want to come back for more of him. So anytime somebody makes me want to come back for more, I'm in.
Speaker 4: I'd give my honorable mention to you Hill that that reveal in the beginning that it's not cancer, it's a baby. I loved it. I loved it.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 4: You know, we all have, like Peyton, a sad trauma, and I was so it was so happy and then you were just like bumbling and overjoyed, and I loved it. I was like, yeah, this, I needed that. I needed a misdirect from like fear to happiness.
Speaker 5: Well, guess what, guys, the pendulum's going to swing back in the other direction and you are going to be all happy, perky, everything's great, and Peyton's will be like, dude. So we had our break.
Speaker 4: This is the top of the mountain.
Speaker 5: I really liked these little kids talking to each other. The only other time we've had real little kid action is when we had little Dan and little Keith hanging out in the tree.
Speaker 3: It was so creepy graveyard. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, this was like earnest. This was loving.
Speaker 5: Our fan base had all become parents. They were like yeah, yeah, and I that it meant it's a break from the sexy, it's a break from the violence. It meant that the powers that be were saying, this softer dynamic is valuable, and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hope it grows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was nice, even though they were afraid of it, so they had to put it in an episode with lots of ridiculous violence.
Speaker 5: Can you imagine the little boy that plays Quentin's little brother Andre, and he's like, classmates, I'm in this.
Speaker 4: Episode of One Tree Hill. You should watch it.
Speaker 5: And everyone in the second grade at his school is watching pistol whip someone like. It's not the elementary school watch party.
Speaker 3: It's just spin a wheel, we do.
Speaker 4: We have to spin the wheel? All right? What if we just say whatever it is. We don't know what it is yet, but whatever it is, it's Millie.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, it's yeah, most likely to be a contestant on Jeopardy that is Milly one hundred yeah, and maybe Lisa in real life.
Speaker 5: Honestly, yes, the flowers this episode, poor Milly. We still believe in you. We don't think you're a slut. We've done worse.
Speaker 3: No, not at all, although sof actually you really should be on Have you done like a celebrity Jeopardy or anything?
Speaker 5: Yet?
Speaker 3: No, come on, thank you. I would pay money to see that front row. I would be right there so you can do it. You'd kill it. You'd be amazing. Next episode, Season six, episode fourteen, A Hand to take Hold of the scene.
Speaker 4: That's a weird one.
Speaker 3: All right, folks, We'll see you next week. Hey, thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: Don't forget to leave us a review. You can also follow us on Instagram at Drama Queen's ot.
Speaker 5: Or email us at Drama Queens at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 4: See you next time.
Speaker 1: We all about that high school drama Girl, Drama Girl, all about them high.
Speaker 2: School queens forever.
Speaker 4: We'll take you for a ride. And our comic girl cheering for the right teams.
Speaker 2: Drama Queens, Leise my girl, up girl.
Speaker 4: Fashion, which your tough girl?
Speaker 1: You could sit with us Girl Drama Queens, Drama Queens Drama Queens, Drama Drama Queens Drama Queens