Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central, Please welcome bost some musif.
Speaker 2: Hello, Wow, you've got life audience.
Speaker 3: Yes, now you don't have an audience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I use puppets.
Speaker 3: Use puppets because you don't have an audience.
Speaker 5: Are there any shows in Egypt that have an audience and they do live studio audience?
Speaker 4: No, we are actually trying to do that. Next year.
Speaker 2: We're going to be the first Arab satirical political show with life audience, which is huge because we don't actually have this kind of industry the television.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the live audiences and things like that.
Speaker 5: How difficult is it to do a show like you're doing a comedy show when the stability of the country is still in question, Because it's difficult for me and we're pretty stable, but I still get the hate with the people.
Speaker 3: They don't like me. What happens with you?
Speaker 4: But death threats? Uh check check.
Speaker 5: We're not so different you and I Sometimes I get beaten.
Speaker 2: It not no, they're just kidding. It's it's actually it's been quite right. And what we do is has actually we broke ground in the television programming because now people say, wow, he actually says what we want to say, and we're trying.
Speaker 4: To be funny.
Speaker 2: We failed most of the time, but we we try check check yes, But can I ask a question?
Speaker 4: Can I question? Last we did you have catain Cita.
Speaker 5: Jones here, catin Zea Jones was in your seat, sir, in this seat you're very se Yeah, yeah, death and asked me what you take it back?
Speaker 3: Take it to take it to Cairo. We don't care. Nice, right, Yes, yeah, she's been so she's very sweet. Yes, yeah, it's nice. You're gonna like You're gonna like TV. You're gonna like it. Here's the thing that is very unusual to me.
Speaker 5: You are a very accomplished heart surgeon as well before you got into this.
Speaker 3: Now, obviously Jews and Muslims.
Speaker 5: There is tension amongst the cultures at times two thousand years for uh, but one thing we probably share is that going to your mother as a heart surgeon and saying yeah, I think I'm gonna be a comedian would be a problem.
Speaker 2: It was a problem until actually she showed that she sowed the money and and she sold my new big TV and living room, so she was okay with that.
Speaker 5: So comedy a little more lucrative than the heart surgery business a lot.
Speaker 3: I knew.
Speaker 2: I was, yes, and smart and you don't get that many that you're don't get sued like every every five seconds.
Speaker 3: I think that's probably smart too. How did this all beget what?
Speaker 5: During the revolution, tars did you just decide this is the time to try and express this thought, this is the time to do something I wanted to try for a while.
Speaker 2: Well, the eighteen days of the revolution was incredible because you would go to Tarreer, you see what's happening, You come back, you open the TV and it's a totally different for it's it's.
Speaker 4: Amazing and you know what it's happening again.
Speaker 2: Now it's like all these rumors about like aliens coming down and trying that they are the people driving the revolution and the Free Masons.
Speaker 5: Yes, really this type of conspiracy stuff, because that's we have a gentleman here.
Speaker 3: Does Glenn Beck have a show in Egypt or now?
Speaker 4: It's his evil twin? Really, and you know a guy.
Speaker 5: Who's who's spreading sort of conspiracy.
Speaker 2: He's a little bit kind of cloned everywhere. Really, Yes, even in sports programs. Imagine Lembeck actually doing a sports show and that's what you'll get. That's what was a foul because some blu ray came from the eyes of their.
Speaker 3: Basically, it's it's freemason.
Speaker 5: And the Americans and Israel have gathered together to hypnotize the Egyptian people to go to Tario Square to complain.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, and Hames, oh really and then too.
Speaker 4: And Iran, all these people.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine Israel, Hamas, Iran, Israel and America are actually all like unified yes against Egypt.
Speaker 3: Wow? How do they decide what to eat at the meeting? That would be pusher. So there are.
Speaker 5: The people resentful that the powers that be don't believe that they would have the wherewithal to stand up on their own.
Speaker 2: The problem is that like people want to believe, they want to believe. But like when you when you have the media kind of pound knowing them with all these conspiracies, you will find people that will fall for that. I mean, for example, you have what's his name Kramer, like mad Money, Yes, yes, yes, still watch him. I mean the guy like bank dropped the whole country's and then see people watch his show.
Speaker 4: It's the same.
Speaker 5: Well, it's it's very interesting that the media is in our country that are not that there's sort of an established media, and then there's what's going on in the street, and the and the twain don't really meet. Yes, and you try and occupy that space in the middle of that.
Speaker 2: Yes, because it has been extremely funny and hilarious to watch the media right now.
Speaker 4: I mean back in.
Speaker 2: Egypt, it's it's it's we're not very much different.
Speaker 5: No, I think you look better in a suit, but other than that, I think we're the same.
Speaker 4: It's in our money. Look at you.
Speaker 3: Learn short.
Speaker 4: I had to pay for it. He gets his for three.
Speaker 3: Given fourteen years, my friend, let not go Bossome.
Speaker 5: I can't tell you. Here's the thing. I watch your program. I had it translated. I don't know a tremendous amount about Egyptian politics, because obviously, as an American we prefer not to know that much about countries we meddle in. But I do know a little something about the humor business. Your show is sharp, You're really good on it. It's smart, it's well executed. I just I think the world of what you're doing down there, and I couldn't be more pleased that you're here. Can you stick around we'll throw a little bit more up on the web and.
Speaker 3: Have you a nice talk. Yes, Bossom, Musif ladies.
Speaker 6: And gentlemen, Welcome back to the Daily Social Distancing Show. So earlier today I spoke with actor and comedian Rummy Yusuf. His Hulu series Rummy is the first Muslim American sitcom to receive an Emmy nomination.
Speaker 7: It's twenty twenty. They don't want a man like me anymore. Trump kick up too much. He's too much a man. You know, the people are afraid. Do they want a man like you? A man who feels a little bit like a woman but is still officially a man.
Speaker 3: Maybe it turn sexual.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 7: This is good, which is why I want you to join me and become a small little partner in the store.
Speaker 8: It's your future.
Speaker 6: Rommi Yusuf, Welcome to the Daily Social Distancing Show.
Speaker 9: Dude, it says too much distance, but I feel like we should have been closer. But it's what are we gonna do?
Speaker 6: We I'm actually I think you're actually lucky that we're not closer, because I'm such a big fan of the show that I would have been one of those nauseating fans who would have been asking you too many questions. I would have been all over you because, like I remember, when Rommy first came out, first came out, a few people were talking about here, but I just stumbled across the show and I was like I was running around preaching it to people. You gotta watch Rummy, you gotta watch Rummy, you gotta watch Rummy. And now I mean it's widely accepted. Yeah, Rommy is much must watch viewing. What has that journey been like for you from going you know, creating a show about a Muslim millennial in New Jersey and the Muslim world as a comedy, you know, to now being a show that people just go like, yeah, yeah, this is normal because it, let's be honest, it wasn't normal like a few years ago when you decided to do this.
Speaker 9: No, and it's still really shocks me, Like there are definitely moments where people are talking about the show a lot. It's getting a lot of recognition, people are excited about it, and I'm like, really, guys, this is a show about like an era of Muslim dude that watches too much poorn, Like I can't believe that many people are looking at it. The thing that's probably most overwhelming is the international love. Yeah, because I think, like here, it's like awesome, you know whatever, we got publicists and all this. But for me when my aunt calls me and she's like, Egypt's watching the show and I'm like, have you seen it? And she's like not yet, and I'm like, thank god. But but she's she's like, I hear the kids are watching it. I'm like, good, it's just let them watch it. That's that's really special.
Speaker 6: I think what I found special about the show, and this is probably what connects to so many people, is it's not just the story of an Arab Muslim kid growing up in New Jersey. It's also the story of a community that for so long has been seen through one lens Man. You take us into a world where we see human beings, we see the complexities of Islam, you know, we see the complexities of different generations and how they relate to the religion, and then the cultures that come. Like that's not an easy thing to do. Was they have a part of you that was afraid to either tell the story incorrectly to an outside audience or piss off the inside audience.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean that's kind of the typewrope walk that we're constantly walking with this show because we haven't really had any chance at seeing ourselves on screen in a story that doesn't involve explosives or national security. To your question about was I nervous where I'm really nervous because I know that Muslims are such a vast group of people. There are many communities that people even say, like, what does the Muslim community think about your show? And I'm like, right, it's not a pop band, Like there are a lot of different Muslim communities, Like, it's not just this one this one thing, and so we, you know, kind of made the choice pretty early on that like we're not going to try and check all the boxes. You know, this isn't a census, this isn't a totality of something that can't be encompassed. Really, this is just the story of this family, and we're really going to kind of humanize them by watching them deal with their problems in the way that everyone does.
Speaker 6: What makes us so successful for me is is that it follows the golden rule of telling a story, and that is showing the human beings who exist within the story. What I loved was how even in your story, you know, the Rumi that you play, when he went to Egypt, he himself realized that he had stereotypes and connotations of his own family in Egypt in a way that he didn't even realize to take it to Egypt and then have like an Egyptian family who are fans of Donald Trump, and all of America's going Donald Trump's the present, and here you have Arabs somewhere in the world saying, this guy's the best guy, even though he wants to ban on Muslims. Why was that so important for you to do?
Speaker 9: And I remember being in the back of a cab in Cairo in twenty fifteen and this guy just being like he's a strong man, and I was like, WHOA, all right? I think we're just used to dictators and he just kind of matches the vibe. But he's not what we need. We know he's not, and I think most of us feel that on a certain you know, with a certain clarity. And I think something that I really wanted to do in making a story about a family we hadn't seen before, was I wanted to be clear that I'm not trying to make something that's some sort of like pr hit to make us look good and make it seem like, hey, we deserve to be in this country, give us a shot, Like look how cute we are on Rami on Hulu. That's not a real portrayal. That's like propaganda in and of itself. You know, for me, it's how do I make something that is challenging my character, that is putting him in situations where he seeing his own biases, he's seeing his flaws, and that really gets highlighted when he goes to Cairo, Because I think the show is more about someone trying to fill the gap between who they want to be and who they actually are than it is a show about Muslims.
Speaker 6: I would be remiss if I didn't mention some of the breakout stars of your shows of the show, and one of those characters has to be Steve. You know, we meet your best friend in the show who's in a wheelchair, and already you know from TV and movies we've watched, we think we have an idea of who this person should be, but he's like a full fledged character in that Like there's times when he's an asshole, there's times when we like him times when we don't like him, times when we feel sorry for him, times when we forget that he has a disability. Tell me a little bit about how he came to be in the show and why you felt it was so important for him to get his own show.
Speaker 9: Well, in terms of him getting his own show, that was just straight up him bullying me into it. He was like, you have the power to produce something now, and this is going to be the first thing you do, and so that there's no really there's no option there for me. But you know, I've known Steve since we were in third grade. You know, we grew up five minutes from each other, we went to school together. We actually learned how to make things together in high school. And I think what was really exciting for us in the show is so many times in sitcoms you see an ethnic best friend, and in this show, we're predominantly with an Arab cast that's speaking Arabic, and we're like, all right, I guess we're gonna have to have the white best friend. But it was really funny to kind of pitch him as the white best friend. And he also has muscular distribute, but really what he is is he's the white best friend. And also in a show where the lead character believes in God, it's really interesting to have someone who doesn't, and his reasoning is very rooted in something where he's like, well, why would I believe that?
Speaker 4: If this is how I am?
Speaker 9: And then in making something for him, what's really cool is again flipping this idea where Okay, now we have in my show, I think he's disserviced. I love my show. And I'm also like, we don't do enough for him just the disabled best friend. I want to make a show where what would it look like where able bodied people are the side characters. And now we get to flip this again and we get to see a totally holy new perspective. And so we're putting together, we're developing the show with Apple, and so yeah, it's a world that we're really excited to crack open.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll say I've thoroughly enjoyed your journey man from being a comedian that some people spoke about, like in word of Mouth, to being a Golden Globe werner and now stepping into it once again, three time Emmy nominee Best Director, Best Acting, and then obviously with Maherschela Aliz makes it three for Amie. Congratulations on everything, and thank you so much for joining us on the show.
Speaker 9: Thanks man, so good to see you.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the day Show.
Speaker 6: My guest tonight is a comedian whose Netflix stand up special is called The Vagabond.
Speaker 10: My first name is Muhammed.
Speaker 1: Oh quit playing baby, No, really, what's the old first name? I'm like, that is my first name.
Speaker 10: She's like, oh, you ain't gonna get your citizenship, baby.
Speaker 1: Please hold.
Speaker 3: I was like, what the fuck's.
Speaker 1: Happened to me?
Speaker 11: This lady puts me on hold and the hold music was never gonna get it, never gonna get it, never, And then she picked up the phone roll quick and goes like whoa woo woo.
Speaker 6: And hangs up.
Speaker 1: Please welcome, mommer, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 10: Oh, thank you for having me.
Speaker 6: You know, a lot of the time they say that the best comedy comes from the biggest tragedies, and in many ways, your life could be considered by some as being a rolling series of tragedies that you've turned into comedy, and you've turned success.
Speaker 1: A little bit of your story would shock most people out there. You are.
Speaker 6: Someone who came to America as a refugee.
Speaker 1: Correct from Kuwait.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 10: I was born in Kuwait. I left Quait after the first golf for right, so I had to call the prequel. Uh. I went to a really nice private British English school in Kuwait and then uh, we migrated to Houston, Texas.
Speaker 1: And it's a culture shock.
Speaker 10: It's a culture shock. And they put me in ESL class, which is English is a second language class. And I was the only guy that spoke English in the class. I won't get All the kids are like, oh love, do anything. Way, Wakey had a hint of a British accent. I'm like, sorry, what language are you speaking. All of a sudden, this other dude just rolls up.
Speaker 1: Out of nowhere. He's like, you're weird, dude, why do you talk LinkedIn?
Speaker 10: And that was my teacher.
Speaker 1: You know, it's a very good situation. This is like, here's the thing.
Speaker 6: A lot of the time, when you know, we have these conversations in America about like immigrant refugee et cetera, it's always like like a sad story. It's always like, you know, these people who need this place's refuge, but you really have an interesting story about how your mom was the driving force behind getting your family to the US and starting up a new life. Just from your perspective, like, how would you try to explain to somebody what it is like to be a refugee and how hard it is to come into the United States.
Speaker 10: It's really difficult to explain or put it into words, the excruciating process of getting your citizenship.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 10: It took me twenty years wow, to get my citizenship. I traveled all over the world doing stand up comedy without a passport.
Speaker 6: Wait, how do you travel without a possible?
Speaker 10: They give you a United States travel document that it's only good for like a year, and then you have to you know, most countries need more of a year validity on your passport to even enter the country. Right, It's incredibly complicated those cases, I'm not even allowed to go, but I just would go and see what would happen. Anyway, I would get questioned in a lot of different countries.
Speaker 1: So let me understand that.
Speaker 6: You are a Palestinian Kuwaiti Muslim traveling the world with no possport and you were like, yeah, I want to try to do this in more countries.
Speaker 10: Yeah, Well, the thing I'm born many times.
Speaker 6: How many times did you get how many times you get stopped?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 10: How many times?
Speaker 1: Every time?
Speaker 10: No, it was every time to the point to when I became a citizen and I was re entering America and he was like, Okay, go ahead, and I was like, no, are you sure?
Speaker 3: I think there's another.
Speaker 10: Is there something else that needs to happen here?
Speaker 4: I feel awkward?
Speaker 1: Can we just talk for a little while? I'm serious? It did.
Speaker 10: I was like, what's going on?
Speaker 12: I was like no.
Speaker 10: I was like, no, we need to chat a little bit. Like Japan was my favorite interrogation I had. It was just an hour of them trying to figure out what I did for a living. The entire hour, for real, consisted of, so what is your occupation? I was like, I'm a comedian. He's like comedian. I'm like, yeah, yeah, I do stand up comedy, sting, dipper, Kumada. I'm like, yeah, I'm a I do comedy Koma, Yeah I do. I'm a comedian comedia. I'm like, am I being roasted right now?
Speaker 1: What's happening?
Speaker 10: Finally his buddy walks in his partner.
Speaker 4: He's like, how does that?
Speaker 2: How does that?
Speaker 3: Comedian?
Speaker 10: And he goes Oh yeah, he's like a bier Kosby.
Speaker 4: And that's what.
Speaker 10: Got me off, was Bill Cosmic I mean not literally.
Speaker 1: Proud you.
Speaker 6: You you have this really interesting journey growing up in America. Takes twenty years to become a resident.
Speaker 4: Uh A citizen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry, citizen?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: And and here here's the thing that I that I've always wandered from your your perspective. You know, do do you ever find yourself in a space where because you speak about things that are happening in the US, people are like, hey, you should just be grateful to be in the US. Don't talk about anything that might be going wrong in the US because the US has welcomed you in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Nah, I mean look as an Arab American Muslim Palestinian on top of it, you know, someone who's fled war. I was nine years old, so I didn't really know. But it's not like, hey, mom, are you sure about Houston? You just had to go right. And I'm very proud of Estonian and I grew up in Aly was is really multicultural neighborhood. But the thing is is that growing up.
Speaker 1: That way, I was always you know, told.
Speaker 10: To not talk about politics, not say anything because they're gonna send us back.
Speaker 4: Wow, that was the whole thing.
Speaker 10: Don't say anything, they're gonna send you back, you know, make sure you don't talk about I was like, you know, all this stuff that's been festering inside for so many years. That's why when I started stand up comedy, it was the perfect outlet for me to allow me to express everything that was happening to me. And also, you know, releasing the special and seeing the reaction from so many different people that can relate to the same story that have refugee. There are refugees that went through a similar process that are you know, dealing with the immigration system right now. They talk about extreme vetting. I mean, my god, it took us twenty years. How much more extreme can it be?
Speaker 1: Well, you wanted to take forever?
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's the point, and so it's very, very frustrating. But at this point in time, I'm an American citizen. So in your face, bitch, I say whatever I wanted. You become really confident once you get that passport. Was that a passport? Like, what'd you gonna do?
Speaker 6: Now they can take it away from you, can they? Oh shit, that's what that was one of the things that like, you know, people were talking about with Trump. They said like, oh, you never know what he's gonna do. You never know. You know, Trump was floating ideas like our citizenships real have people lied about the.
Speaker 1: Et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 6: And a lot of people who are refugees or maybe came to the US as immigrants had this connection with Trump where they were worried. You had a different connection with Trump, which is one of the reasons you you came into prominence. Really insane story where you found yourself on a plane seated next to Eric Trump.
Speaker 10: That's yeah, you know, being a frequent flyer help sometimes I didn't know this was going to happen. Like I was upgrading the first class and I ended up sitting next to Eric Trump. I didn't even know I was gonna get upgraded because I put my name on the list way too late. You know, comedians are you know, the best procrastinators in the best, And I didn't know I was gonna get upgraded much. Let's sitting next to Eric. But I do know one thing. The lady that upgraded me, it's probably a Clinton supporter, you know, to be real, she was probably sitting there like.
Speaker 1: Oh, Eric Trump is on my flying Okay.
Speaker 10: I don't know why she has a mustache, but okay, Oh, there's an empty seat next to Eric. Let me take a look at this upgrade list. See who's standing by patiently here? Oh, Mohammed Moustaf forever.
Speaker 1: Okay, can I tell you.
Speaker 6: Man, I've seen your stand up on the road. You were amazing opening for Dave Chappelle. The special is truly phenomenal. I tell everyone to go od and watch it. Thanks so much for coming on the show.
Speaker 1: I hope to see you again. The Bag of bon is currently on Netflix. Please go and watch it. No, im and everybody, We'll be right back.
Speaker 6: My guest tonight is a Grammy nominated to the hip hop artist whose new album is called Jungle Rules. Please welcome, French Montana.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the show.
Speaker 13: Dylan and I.
Speaker 6: We're doing good, man, we're doing real good. We're doing real good, but not as good as you are doing. Congratulations. Your single Unforgettable currently number five on the Billboard charts.
Speaker 1: It's going up. Congratulations on that. You've got that news today you have.
Speaker 6: You have a story that's more interesting than most, not just because of what you do and how successful you become, but because.
Speaker 3: Of where you came from.
Speaker 6: You were born and raised in Morocco. Right, you moved to the US when you were thirteen years old, Yes, and then got into hip hop? Like how I got Like it's it just a universal.
Speaker 13: Language, honestly, Honestly, I tell everybody this. You know, I feel like music is the only language that people speak in the whole world, right, not even knowing English before I came here. It's a loving music, loving loving the rush I get when I hear it, it's totally different from making it if I just knew English and new Like you know, I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 6: What were you listening to when you were a kid before you could speak English?
Speaker 13: I would listen to Chef Hesney and I was listening to Moroccan music, Right.
Speaker 6: Was any American hip hop you were listening to? Because I know, like my cousin was, of course, like my cousin was a huge Tupac fan, but he couldn't speak English. So then my cousin would walk around in the place of South Africa, a place called Zanine, right, and he was he was like he was a gangster in his mind, And so we'd be like pushing a wheelbarrow going to the river.
Speaker 1: This is no joke.
Speaker 6: So we'd be pushing a wheelbarrow to the river and the whole way he'd be walking in be like, no, my enemies.
Speaker 9: And defend.
Speaker 6: The body and I and then I would say it would be like, wow, your English got really good.
Speaker 1: Norman, and he'd be like, and it's the weirdest thing.
Speaker 6: You Like, what was there like an American artist that you listened to even though you didn't understand.
Speaker 13: Tupac had a gift to speaking to the Americans. He spoke to everybody that was like, I don't speak English.
Speaker 14: Had a gift of speaking to Africans. I don't think anyone has ever said that in the history of language. Let's let's talk about what you've been doing with this album. You know, we saw you performing at the BT Awards and you had on stage with you uh.
Speaker 6: Trooper dance, triblic Rights that okay, right from Uganda. Now you you went out to Uganda. But I still struggle to understand the full story. How on earth do you end up on stage performing with Ugandan kids in the United States.
Speaker 13: It goes back to African music, And I was like, you know.
Speaker 3: I usually just go and like, listen, keep up to date.
Speaker 13: I just saw this video of these kids, you know, and when I seen it, I just fell in love with it. I never seen nobody dance like that, you know. So when I'm watching it, I'm like, why these kids dancing like this? Then I found that they don't have no TVs.
Speaker 6: That's amazing.
Speaker 13: So all they moves was the original, like they created they moves and they all lived together. It's twenty of them. They all lost their parents. So let me tell you something. I don't know why I did it, but I did it.
Speaker 1: And you went You went on to fall in love with Uganda.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, you didn't.
Speaker 13: Just the best decision I ever made in my career.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I know many people will go to African and be like, oh, I loved it so much, and then it's done. But you have now stayed in touch with Uganda, with the people you're involved in a in a project now with Mama Hope.
Speaker 1: I think, Mama Hope, what is hope about?
Speaker 13: Non private organization shot the Global Citizen. These are people that help people around the world, you know, to make a better place for children and mothers. You know, I feel like every mother and every every child I should have, you know, the right the right care.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 13: And and ever since I've been involved with him, man, it feels really great. So when I got there, I saw these a bunch of beautiful kids that standing outside smiling.
Speaker 4: In that clinic, you know.
Speaker 13: So when I came out, I said, I gotta come back here.
Speaker 4: And just do something, you know.
Speaker 13: But honestly, me building that with a shot to the I can't take all the credit shots of the weekend he helped.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, because this, this is this is honestly, this is only honestly one of my one.
Speaker 3: Of my favorite stories.
Speaker 6: Because you said, I'm going to help build up this medical facility and get.
Speaker 3: More people to be treated.
Speaker 6: I think it went up from treating having the capacity to treat fifties now going to and and what I found amazing was you like, I'm gonna donate the money. And then the weekend was like, oh, I'm also gonna drop one hundred grand on this, And I was I was like, is this gonna be like the new like thing in the hip hop Yes, where it's like guys, guys are gonna be breaking instead of bottles in.
Speaker 1: The clubs, a hospital. I got it. You could make it a thing. You could make it a thing.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I hope, so, I hope so yeah, definitely definitely shot for the weekend and ever since then, you know, we almost it went from two rooms now it's almost fifty rooms.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: Wow, yo, man, thank you so much for what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Congratulations from the music. We wish the best, Mama Hope check it out.
Speaker 6: Jungle Rules is available now, and for more information about the Unforgettable Movement go to Mama Hope dot org.
Speaker 1: French Montana. Everybody will be right back.
Speaker 5: I guess tonight A scholar of religions and author. His latest book is the best seller Zealot, The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth.
Speaker 3: Please welcome back to the program res as on right, all right, I just I just want to be clear. You're a Muslim.
Speaker 5: Why would you write a book on the founder of Christianity?
Speaker 8: This is my secret Muslim plan to destroy Christianity.
Speaker 3: I was just reading that. Do you remember. I don't know if you remember this.
Speaker 5: You went on Fox and the lady was asking those questions and I was just watching that, like, oh my God, is gonna straggle, I did, Okay, you did wonderful. I did it was it was incredible and the book is so good.
Speaker 12: Thank you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the perfect Christmas gift for your Jewish friends.
Speaker 5: Yes, there's nothing we like better around this time of year. Of him looking judgmentally at us, Yeah yeah, right right, yeah, nice Manora. Yeah, hey, enjoy your pertato Lockis.
Speaker 3: How are you doing? Otherwise?
Speaker 5: These are these are very exciting times for Iran.
Speaker 12: Absolutely.
Speaker 8: I mean, this nuclear deal has really changed the atmosphere in Iran.
Speaker 12: So much excitement over it.
Speaker 8: Frankly, a little too much excitement over it, because it's not really that big of a deal in so far as sanctions really for helping the economy. But whereas here in the United States, nobody talks about this deal as possibly laying the groundwork for some kind of future normalization.
Speaker 12: That's all they talk about in Iran.
Speaker 8: In fact, it's created these two camps, like a reconciliation camp and an isolationist camp. Right and right now, the reconciliation camp has all the momentum. The isolationists, particularly in the military, are still there. They're a little bit muted. They're waiting for this thing to collapse. So that they can attack the Rohani administration and listen, frankly, the Congress might give them that opportunity.
Speaker 3: How much power does Rohani?
Speaker 5: You know, we saw the eight years of Akmadinajad, We saw the Green Revolution where Musabi appeared to have defeated Akmadinajad electorally. It seemed like there was shenanigan's that's a Yiddish word for manipulated election. There were tremendous protests in the streets, tremendous violence. This movement is sort of driven underground. Rahani is considered in that sort of Musabi camp.
Speaker 8: Yes, wellmist yeah, he's a bit of a moderate, He's got some reformist tendency.
Speaker 5: Does he have any real power or does it all still rest with the Supreme Leader? And if Hamane says that he's in the isolationists camp, are they in the isolationists camp?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 12: I mean, the simple answer is that all the power.
Speaker 8: And the only voice that really matters is the Supreme Leader's voice. But it's much more complex than that. There's a very robust civic infrastructure in Iran, and the resident has the opportunity to actually make some fundamental changes. What Rohani has going for him. Is that so far Hamina, the Supreme Leader, is supporting this. I think that's why the the reconciliation camp has, you know, this great momentum on its side, and why the isolationists are keeping for the most part quiet, because if you disagree with this deal, then you're disagreeing with the Supreme Leader. But really the issue again, uh and I and I hate to just bring this up rests with the US Congress.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought you're gonna gonna go to Jews again. I thought that, yeah, I thought that's here.
Speaker 5: And then I was gonna have to again once again say we're actually quite pleasant when you get to know it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 8: What I was going to say was, this is the problem is that you know, everybody in the US keeps talking about how well well can we trust Iran to uh hold up its end of the bargain.
Speaker 12: That's not the.
Speaker 5: Problem because in the country we have an isolationist camp and we have a camp.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's similar.
Speaker 5: You're you're playing to a very particular, uh much more rigid base here that won't allow you know, you saw the kerfuffle that occurred when Obama just shook me Poul Castro's hand let alone trying to forge some kind of way forward with Iran.
Speaker 8: Look, far be it from me to suggest that Congress is full of petty children presiding over a cessful of wasted space.
Speaker 3: So you do watch our show, Yeah, you do watch.
Speaker 8: But yes, you can't help but feel that they are actively trying to scuttle this deal.
Speaker 12: I mean, the negotiation is pretty clear.
Speaker 8: In exchange for Iran freezing and rolling back its nuclear program, which they've done, we will release a little bit of their frozen assets and also promise not to engage in any new sanctions. This bill that Congress is trying to pass to new sanctions is a violation of the agreement. In fact, the Foreign Minister of Iran, a pretty Western friendly, you know, moderate guy, has said if this thing passes, that's the end.
Speaker 3: Of the deal.
Speaker 8: It's a deal breaker, right, And it just you can't help but feel that this Congress is full of people who are less interested in sort of the good of the country than in their own political good. They want to go back to Missoula, Montana, and you know, tell the three thousand people who voted them into office that they were tough on Iran and a friend to Israel, and it might you know, it's a good it'll get them re elected for two more years of a fairly cushy job.
Speaker 12: I mean, you get paid to do nothing. Yes, you know, but it's a danger to the country.
Speaker 5: No, And I think, but when you look at it, there are certain absolute boogeymen that are out there, the United Nations, Iran and not for no reason. There are certain things that Iran is doing. They are bad actors in certain fields of.
Speaker 3: Play, how absolutely.
Speaker 5: But if we don't engage these countries and try and build more productive relationships, I think we're beginning to learn that pure sanctions driven consequences or invading them and trying to hold the territory until a government rises that likes us not maybe.
Speaker 8: The answer no, And in fact, what cracks me up is that the entire purpose of these sanctions was to get Iran to the negotiating table. Well, guess what, they worked. They're at the negotiating table, So what are.
Speaker 12: We doing now?
Speaker 8: Sanctioning them is a punishment for coming to the negotiating table. And in any case, these sanctions work because they were international sanctions, correct, They worked because we got the Europeans and Russia and even China to go along with them. If this sanctions law passes in Congress, then it is as clear a message to our allies that this is all a joke for us, that we're not really serious about this, and the entire sanctions regime will fall apart. And guess what, Iran will continue to enrich uranium to its hearts content.
Speaker 5: And they will erode it anyway. Yeah, absolutely unbelievable. Stick around for a little bit. Yeah, yeah, I want to talk about a couple of other things. Zelle is on the bookshelves now, rez os on Ladies and Gentlemen.
Speaker 11: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The.
Speaker 1: Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven tenth Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 12: Plus Paramount Podcasts