Speaker 1: And we're getting news reports that Hamas leader Yaya Sinwar may have been killed in an IDEA operation in northern Gaza. Today, a lot is still unclear, but to unpack what happened, what we know about what happened so far, and what this could mean and who ya Ya Sinwar? Was joined here by my drop site colleague Jeremy Scahill. I'm Ryan Grimm. Jeremy, thanks for joining us on short notice.
Speaker 2: Good to be with you, Ryan.
Speaker 1: And so it's eleven thirty Eastern time right now. You may, as you're watching this, know a little bit more about this than we do at the moment, but we'll try to give you the backstory and what this means. So, Jeremy, I guess, first of all, who is Yaya sin War? And while you're answering, I'll try to put up one of the photos that is a suggestive of the fact that they did indeed kill ya Sinowar.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, first of all, the caveat here is that we're what we know about this right now is entirely coming from the Israeli military and Israeli intelligence. There have been previous reports indicating that Sinwar was killed or may have been killed. The same scenario played out with other senior figures within Hamas, including Mohammed Daif. So, you know, with the sort of all encompassing caveat that it is, you know, it's dependent on you know, much clearer evidence. We can discuss what we know at this point, and that is that on Wednesday night, apparently there was a routine patrol in the south of Gaza and there was some sort of This is all according to the Israelis. We have to emphasize Hamas as of this moment, has not put out any statement, but there was some sort of a routine patrol happening with Israeli occupation forces in southern Gaza. There's indications that it was either in.
Speaker 1: Or I or Rafa I thought northern Gaza. Okay, good, okay, interesting, go.
Speaker 2: Ahead, and there was, according to the Israelis, some kind of a firefight. Initial report was that there was an RPG fired by the Israeli forces at a building where there were resistant Palestinian resistance fighters. More recently they've indicated that it was tank fire that hit the building, and some of the images that we've seen look like a heavier ammunition was used because it collapsed part of the concrete structure onto the individual that they're identifying as Yahya Sinhwar. And then these soldiers when they went inside, and you know what they say is that they're always looking for the Israeli captives that are being held in Gaza. They came across the bodies of what we understand now three individuals who we believe are Palestinian resistance fighters, and the soldiers saw one of them and believed that it was Yahya Sinwar. He's a very distinct looking guy. The last image that Israel claimed to that the world has seen of Sinwar, it was a grainy image that the Israelis released. They said it was captured from a security camera in one of the tunnels in southern Gaza. Was a kind of sigh in rear view of a man walking down a tunnel with other individuals. But since then we haven't seen anything, and Sinhwar has only put out a few statements. You did release a couple of letters to foreign dignitaries after Ismailhinia, the political leader of Hamas, was assassinated in Tehran, and Sinhwar was then made the head of both the military operations on the ground inside of Gaza, the political leader in Gaza and the head of its political bureau, which is largely based outside of Gaza. You know, the story of Yaha Sinhwar in some ways is the story of what happened to the Palestinians of Gaza. He was born in a refugee camp in Khanyunis in nineteen sixty two and he himself was part of the original formation of Hamas. Soon after Hamas was formed, Yaha Sinhwar was arrested by Israeli forces and he was accused of of being a hit man, essentially for this new group that was emerging that was responsible for taking out collaborators who were working with the Israelis. They also tried to pin on him allegations that he was involved with ambushing or killing Israeli soldiers. But he ends up spending twenty two years in an Israeli prison, and in fact, Sinhwar was released in twenty eleven in a exchange deal for the Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, and you had more than a thousand Palestinian prisoners released during that deal, and one of the chief negotiators was Yaja Sinhwaj's brother, Mohammed Sinhwar, who also is a significant figure in the command structure of Hamas and certainly in its ground operations over the past year. So Sinhwar emerges from that prison and becomes quite quickly a revered political leader of Hamas and ultimately then takes control of the organization. While Sinwar was in prison, Ryan he spent his time studying, and he himself has talked about this and written about this. He spent his time studying the Israeli state. He read the memoirs of shin Bet, former shin Bet heads, other Israeli intelligence officials. In fact, by hand he translated from Hebrew into Arabic these memoirs and would disseminate them to other political prisoners, Palestinian political prisoners, you know, arguing that you have to study the enemy in order to to defeat the enemy.
Speaker 1: So you know, you know.
Speaker 2: But the thing I want to emphasize is if Yaija Sinwar died. A couple of things here. First of all, the Israelis have often portrayed him, and their political cartoons show this as kind of a rat hiding in tunnels, using Israeli captives as human shields, and it appears from even Israel's own narrative about this alleged killing of Sinwar that he died in combat wearing combat gear. They said there was no sign of Israeli captives around fund him, and already on social media in the Arabic language, you see a lot of people saying that this this is a holy shaheed, that this is a martyr who died fighting for the Palestinian cause of liberation.
Speaker 1: And so what would it mean for this, for this conflict that's ongoing if he was killed.
Speaker 2: You know, remember some months ago there were there was reporting and it was it was based on leaks coming out of the Biden administration. Uh that you know that the Biden administration was dangling what they claimed was valuable intelligence to help the Israelis locate Yahya Sinhwar. Now, the US has been providing Israel intelligence on high value so called high value targets throughout the duration of the past year. But I think there that what it indicated was not so much that that the US necessarily knew where Sinowar was and was withholding that information from Israel, but rather that I think the Biden administration has felt like if Yahya sin War was killed, it would allow them to argue with net Yahoo, you know, the time is up to say, you know, declare victory and let's wrap this thing up. Now. We have to emphasize that Biden has not wrapped this thing up throughout the entire duration. I think it's pretty clear he could have ended this a long time ago with a phone call, as he did in twenty twenty one. They certainly could have said no more weapons for you, and Israel would have been in very, very deep trouble, especially as it tried to launch this multi front war, potentially also with Iran. But I think that a mistake that that you know, Americans, that America made during the so called War on Terror, and that sometimes the you know, the Israeli press and government encourages this narrative is that by killing leaders, whether it's Hassan Nasralla of Hesbalah in Lebanon or Ismaelhania, the Hama's political leader, or in this case, Yakja Sinwar, that by killing the leaders, you somehow are going to destroy the resistance. And the fact is that and history backs this up completely, that every time the Israelis believe that they have achieved some victory by assassinating a Palestinian leader, more rise up to take their place. What I think it's indicative of, though, Ryan, is that Netnyahu from the beginning never actually wanted a deal here. He sabotaged every possibility of a ceasefire. Excuse me of a prisoner exchange. You have ten thousand Palestinians that are right now being held in Israeli custody. You have high value political prisoners being held in Israeli custody. If Netanyahu wanted to make a deal to release the Israeli captives from Gaza, they would have had to give over not just Palestinian children which they're holding and who they subject to military tribunals, or people that had posted WhatsApp or Facebook messages that the Israeli state has outlawed, but there would have been political figures chief among them. And number one on the list of Hamas, even though he's not a HAMAS member, was marwe On Barguti, who actually emerged as a leader of the Second Palestinian in Tafada, was part of FATA and then became a paramilitary leader, and he's been decades in Israeli prison. Some compare him or say that he's a kin in ways to a Palestinian Nelson Mandela one of the few figures that many people believe would have the ability to unite both Gaza and the West Bank and all of the factions into a unified Palestinian entity that would make a very clear demand for a Palestinian state to be recognized. It seems as though what Netanyahu decided was I'm going to burn Gaza to the ground. I'm going to kill as many Palestinians as possible. I'm going to destroy the entire infrastructure of Gaza, and if it means that, you know, one hundred plus Israeli captives get killed in the process, it was a price worth paying. That's what I think really needs to be emphasized here. This shows that Netanya who and the Israeli state, the security establishment embraced a scorched earth policy that was aimed at obliterating Gaza as a Palestinian territory, and many of the residents of Gaza with it. So they can say, oh, this is a great victory, and the watch for the Biden administration also to make an argument, this means that you've won the war seventy six years of oppression of apartheid, of colonialism, of targeted killing, of mass killing, of starvation, of blockades, has shown that you cannot kill the Palestinian resistance by killing the people who happened to be the leaders at any given time in history.
Speaker 1: I certainly that theory will be tested at this point because it seems like net Yahoo has no intention of letting up. This comes at the same time that Biden, last question for you here, has issued this very late ultimatum that puts a thirty day al time, made them that AID must get into Gaza, that puts it past the election. Already, I'm getting reports from AID workers saying that the AID trucks that they're claiming are getting in aren't actually getting in, and in fact, they're pulling out vetted drivers from the trucks and beating and arresting the drivers, doing everything they can to kind of make it look publicly like they're letting AID in while actually thwarting it on the ground. So is this all of this just on hold until the election? You know?
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty clear that the Biden administration doesn't have any intention of actually cutting off weapons to Israel. The farthest that they're willing to go is to take you know, in a symbolic way, the most contentious weapon in the eyes of the US, these two thousand pound bombs that caused horrifying civilian deaths, and to kind of temporarily pause them. Let's remember that just in recent days, the White House authorized the deployment of the THAD missile system to Israel, supposedly to defend against potential Iranian counter strikes. One hundred US military personnel went with it. The weapons flow is continuing. Yes, there's probably a degree to which this has to do with the election. And you know, Kamala Harris has given given many opportunities to indicate that she has any difference of perspective than Biden on this. She's not only declined to do that, she's doubled down on saying that she's been in the room and she supports the policy entirely. I think there are probably many people in the Biden administration that, for a variety of reasons, are really fed up with this, and it's totally toxic to the election campaign of Kamala Harris. But I wouldn't look for anything significant to happen out of this. I do think that Biden personally is going to try to use if Sinwar is confirmed to be dead, is to try to use this to make an argument that now is the time for a deal. From Netanyahu's perspective, I think he says, we don't even need to make a deal. We can just keep killing through this. And what I think they're going to hope for is let's try to recover as many living hostages as possible. He's gambled with the lives of these Israelis for an entire year. Israeli forces have killed numerous hostages on their own. This all could have been done a long long time ago, at least since July second. This could have been ended in a very clear way when Hamas told international mediators that had accepted the terms of the Biden plan. So I don't think you can you can put any hope that the Biden administration is going to back up any of its expressed frustration leaks with real policy, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Jeremy Scalhell my co founder over at drop site News. You can find or work at drop sitews dot com. I'll also put a link down in the description below to a twenty percent off discount that we're given for subscription to Breaking Points viewers to check that out, So Jeremy, but.
Speaker 2: Ryan one plug, I think people I want to just tell people make sure to look at the recent reporting from Abu Baker Ahbed who is a great young reporter and Dare Albala, and he just did a report on the young man. Everyone now has seen the images a Shaban, the young man who was burned alive in the attack on al Axa Hospital. But it's a very deep profile that in many ways speaks to the utter loss that Israel has imposed on the people of Gaza in every aspect of their lives. It tells the life and death of this young man who was still attached to an IV when Israel struck the courtyard near al Axa Hospital and caused him and his mother, another family member and others to catch on fire and at least four people died in that fire.
Speaker 1: It's a moving piece, quite moving piece, and I'll put down in the comments below as well. And my understanding is that Abu Baker, in the last week, while reporting this piece himself, has only had something like three meals. Like the desperation in northern Gaza is so difficult to conceptualize. I mean.
Speaker 2: The Palestinian journalists who have been the eyes and ears of the world for this deserve our defense and our gratitude forever for being the actual writers of history and real time, because without them, we would have known very little about the extent to which the United States and Israel waged this China Satle war.
Speaker 1: Well, Jeremy, thank you for joining me here.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ray,